PDA

View Full Version : Match Day 16 - NYRB @ TFC Sunday July 1 4:30pm - I Feel Like A Stranger

OgtheDim
06-25-2018, 06:04 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CKcZsBLS17U

Have at It People

Voodooman
06-25-2018, 07:01 AM
Hyped for this one!

Canada Day at BMO!

ensco
06-25-2018, 07:36 AM
This is the game. We turn the corner here.

OgtheDim
06-25-2018, 08:21 AM
This is going to be a brawl - NYRB always tries to get under TFC's skin. They sense weakness in TFC and will be licking their chops at the opportunity to get one over on the team that got by them last year in the playoffs.

They are going to try to run us into the ground through their press & bash people & get us off whatever game we have at the moment.

After Sunday, people are questioning the team's character. Well, this match will be the test of this team's character this MLS season. Come through this with heads up, we move on with diginity, even if we don't get to the playoffs. Play like they played in the last half of the game yesterday and this team deserves the derision the rest of the league has been & is going to throw at it.

Its also, IMHO, the test of the character of the supporter's in the stands, in all sections.

Up until now, for our whole history, its been relatively easy to come out- we lose, we cheer but we are happy -we are a happy few who just want to see games in our home town.

Then we start winning, we really get loud - we are all happy cause winning is fun. We gained something. We saw something.

Now we are losing again.

Are our supporter's, all of us, not just in the south & on the boards - are we actually "Toronto til I die"?

Do people come out to support the team...or do they come out to support winners?

Sure, holiday weekend - people may be away. And the World Cup is on (there are no games that day) so there might be some soccer fatigue.

But...

if you are truly "Toronto til I die", unless you got a family commitment - you should effin be there on Sunday & yelling your freaking head off.

burlington Red
06-25-2018, 09:13 AM
This is going to be a brawl - NYRB always tries to get under TFC's skin. They sense weakness in TFC and will be licking their chops at the opportunity to get one over on the team that got by them last year in the playoffs.

They are going to try to run us into the ground through their press & bash people & get us off whatever game we have at the moment.

After Sunday, people are questioning the team's character. Well, this match will be the test of this team's character this MLS season. Come through this with heads up, we move on with diginity, even if we don't get to the playoffs. Play like they played in the last half of the game yesterday and this team deserves the derision the rest of the league has been & is going to throw at it.

Its also, IMHO, the test of the character of the supporter's in the stands, in all sections.

Up until now, for our whole history, its been relatively easy to come out- we lose, we cheer but we are happy -we are a happy few who just want to see games in our home town.

Then we start winning, we really get loud - we are all happy cause winning is fun. We gained something. We saw something.

Now we are losing again.

Are our supporter's, all of us, not just in the south & on the boards - are we actually "Toronto til I die"?

Do people come out to support the team...or do they come out to support winners?

Sure, holiday weekend - people may be away. And the World Cup is on (there are no games that day) so there might be some soccer fatigue.

But...

if you are truly "Toronto til I die", unless you got a family commitment - you should effin be there on Sunday & yelling your freaking head off.

there are 2 world cup games that day

flatpicker
06-25-2018, 09:32 AM
"Gonna be a long, long, crazy, crazy night"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cvi8P-pMHuA

OgtheDim
06-25-2018, 10:04 AM

Me bad.... Need coffee before ranting. :(

Voodooman
06-25-2018, 10:11 AM

The games will be over by then, provided the 2nd game doesnt go into extra time. Go early, hit up Joes, watch the game, go to stadium when its done.

leafsman
06-25-2018, 11:27 AM
MLS scheduling makes no sense, play at 4:30 on a summer day with heat and humidity and during the world cup but play at 8 pm during the colder spring months.

Oldtimer
06-25-2018, 01:24 PM
MLS scheduling makes no sense, play at 4:30 on a summer day with heat and humidity and during the world cup but play at 8 pm during the colder spring months.

It makes sense to the TV network, and sadly that's what matters. 8pm Fridays when the CFL isn't on.

pfk
06-27-2018, 05:02 PM
The Weather Network has Sunday afternoon looking at 33C, feeling like 43. Drink plenty of fluids ladies and gents. Remember beer is a diuretic and causes dehydration. Beer, water, beer, water,....:drinking:

Redcoe15
06-27-2018, 05:11 PM
I will be there in 112. Hat, shades, and sunscreen covering up all exposed areas.

cincy
06-28-2018, 08:40 AM
Is there anything special planned for this Canada day game ?

pfk
06-28-2018, 10:52 AM
Is there anything special planned for this Canada day game ?

There looks to be some some of pre-match rally at the Stanley Barracks https://www.torontofc.ca/2018/pre-match-rally

Gringo Starr
06-28-2018, 11:48 AM
I just hope the guys play the way they did in the second half against dc

OgtheDim
06-29-2018, 05:55 AM
Coulda swore I was seeing 4pm kick off when I created this thread.

Voodooman
06-29-2018, 07:05 AM
Pretty sure it said 4pm originally. I had 4pm on my schedule as well.

I guess they moved half an hour to collaborate with World Cup. So luckily I can watch Croatia vs Denmark at Joes and head on over.

TFC07
06-29-2018, 07:16 AM
Must win game!

ag futbol
06-29-2018, 08:17 AM
It makes sense to the TV network, and sadly that's what matters. 8pm Fridays when the CFL isn't on.
I know this is traditional thinking on the subject (don’t go head-to-head with the incumbent and TV ratings rule all) but I question it’s value. For one, this is still a gate driven league in many respects and keeping those fans happy who attend in person matters. Second, hiding in the shadows of different TV time slots every year makes it ever harder to grow your viewership.

The issue is we have a partial owner (Bell / TSN) who has incentive to preserve CFL ratings and avoid two owned assets going directly head-to-head. But for the growth of soccer in this country the sport market is only so large and we have to dispose someone longer term (or eat part of their lunch) if advertising dollars are to show up in great quantities. Maybe this not to suggest we start kicking off at Saturday 7pm every week but let’s see some more consistency week-to-week, year-to-year in time slots.

Oldtimer
06-29-2018, 08:22 AM
Coulda swore I was seeing 4pm kick off when I created this thread.

Title changed to 4:30 for you. :)

C.Ronaldo
06-29-2018, 08:45 AM
I just hope the guys play the way they did in the second half against dc
doubt it when it feels like 40C

Red CB Toronto
06-29-2018, 09:14 AM
Pretty sure it said 4pm originally. I had 4pm on my schedule as well.

I guess they moved half an hour to collaborate with World Cup. So luckily I can watch Croatia vs Denmark at Joes and head on over.

They will also have the World Cup on big screens in the Barracks at the TFC pregame party across from BMO.

OgtheDim
06-29-2018, 12:18 PM

One thing nice about that is NYRB's press is unlikely to occur for long either.

I think we are more likley to lose this one then win it but we are in with a chance.

I just want to see 90 minutes of actually trying hard - stop with the moping. None of that last half in NYC stuff.

We lost games

We don't look like making the playoffs.

We came one miss away from winning CCL

GET OVER IT

Play for the badge, play for each other, play for the crowd. Play for 90 minutes.

Just give it your all and if we don't win...at least we actually tried.

Gringo Starr
06-29-2018, 01:58 PM
I meant with pride and spirit, like they have some fight in them. That first half against DC and second half against NYC were shocking, if we get that type of effort again we can concluded there is something wrong in the room.

shwade
06-30-2018, 12:49 PM
Why is Mavinga still in France?

TFC1986
06-30-2018, 09:47 PM
Why is Mavinga still in France?

I think he's injured.

OgtheDim
07-01-2018, 08:02 AM
Game Day :scarf:

TFC1986
07-01-2018, 08:59 AM
They should do a picture of everyone in the stands at kickoff, and then when final whistle blows. Will all be roasting like turkeys!

paul-collins
07-01-2018, 10:40 AM
One thing nice about that is NYRB's press is unlikely to occur for long either.

I think we are more likley to lose this one then win it but we are in with a chance.

I just want to see 90 minutes of actually trying hard - stop with the moping. None of that last half in NYC stuff.

Today the weather isn't cooperating. I think we'll see water breaks at least once a half. I'd be surprised if either team has anything in the tank for the last 20 minutes.

SirBobSaget
07-01-2018, 03:17 PM
Vazquez and auro not in the 18. Starting lineup is missing a lot

portu
07-01-2018, 03:33 PM
Vazquez and auro not in the 18. Starting lineup is missing a lot
No Vazquez, Auro, VDW even on the bench.

Hamilton comes from not even being on the bench (kept off by Telfer and Mino) to starting.

This whole 18 is weird.

SirBobSaget
07-01-2018, 03:48 PM
Forgot vdw. Missing 3 with 4th on the bench over budget players. Not good

Super
07-01-2018, 04:02 PM
Forgot vdw. Missing 3 with 4th on the bench over budget players. Not good

We're saving them for when we're out of the playoffs.

Super
07-01-2018, 04:02 PM
Any feed?

Super
07-01-2018, 04:11 PM
Found one: http://goatdee.net/261093/watch-toronto-fc-vs-new-york-red-bulls

Leedsoronto
07-01-2018, 04:16 PM
Oh dear, when we are bad we are REAL bad Lol

SirBobSaget
07-01-2018, 04:26 PM
Most pathetic display since the dark days. The mashed together reserve teams from earlier this season played with more cohesion. Crowd is completely fed up

portu
07-01-2018, 04:35 PM
So why are we missing VDW, Auro and Vazquez?

nonc
07-01-2018, 04:38 PM
Many more years of Bono clowning ahead.

ag futbol
07-01-2018, 04:49 PM
Same old RBNY. Bunch of cheap shot artists.

wynne
07-01-2018, 04:52 PM
Zero effect from Giovinco, getting frustrating to watch

portu
07-01-2018, 04:53 PM
Zero effect from Giovinco, getting frustrating to watch
If you only watched Giovinco this season you’d think he was overpaid and over the hill

nonc
07-01-2018, 05:00 PM
Hamilton and Zavaleta are just brutal.

ag futbol
07-01-2018, 05:00 PM
Something needs to change to get these guys motivated.

Vanney needs to find his Miami Vice attire.

portu
07-01-2018, 05:02 PM
Vanney would say at the half that this was all on one individual mistake, but how many times are we gonna lose before it’s just like “yeah, we’re shit”

Hamilton_Red
07-01-2018, 05:05 PM
Looking at the goal replay. BWP was in an offside position and blocking Bono’s view of the ball.

Oldtimer
07-01-2018, 05:09 PM
Looking at the goal replay. BWP was in an offside position and blocking Bono’s view of the ball.

I didn't see any VAR listed. Are they all in Russia?

Hassler looking like he's sick, he can't run much.

PizzaEatingYeti
07-01-2018, 05:09 PM
Of course it was offside.
TFC fucked again by the great MLS officiating.

ag futbol
07-01-2018, 05:24 PM
We can’t even score from 5 feet out and if two of their defenders fall over their own feet

InDa_110
07-01-2018, 05:34 PM
Hamilton and Zavaleta are just brutal.

And Delgado is useless

portu
07-01-2018, 05:37 PM
Honestly I think this is a little bit exhaustion, a little bit everyone else catching up to us, arrogance and player regression.

Oldtimer
07-01-2018, 05:50 PM
Not our day

Yohan
07-01-2018, 05:50 PM
hah. that was no PK IMO and and the ball doesn't lie on the PK

notthesun
07-01-2018, 05:51 PM
What Can Go Wrong, Will Go Wrong: The 2018 TFC Story.

wynne
07-01-2018, 05:52 PM
hah. that was no PK IMO and and the ball doesn't lie on the PK
He put his hand on the ball to stop it from going anywhere, what are you talking about? It’s absolutely a penalty

Yohan
07-01-2018, 05:54 PM
He put his hand on the ball to stop it from going anywhere, what are you talking about? It’s absolutely a penalty
got shoved from behind from Delgado

ag futbol
07-01-2018, 05:55 PM
He got pushed after the fact. He was shielding the ball, got caught flat footed and suddenly was watching it roll behind him to a TFC player, then decided to handle it. Then, was pushed in the back.

wopchop
07-01-2018, 05:56 PM
They showed an angle that clearly shows him touching the ball prior to the shove.

Yohan
07-01-2018, 05:57 PM
They showed an angle that clearly shows him touching the ball prior to the shove.
hrm. missed that angle

wopchop
07-01-2018, 06:02 PM
hrm. missed that angle
They showed it after the first replay. He goes for the ball with his hand and then Delgado shoves him - I imagine because he was going for the ball.

Oldtimer
07-01-2018, 06:11 PM
Besides losing, I'm concerned about the hesitancy several of the players are showing with the ball. What happened to the crisp one touch passing?

OgtheDim
07-01-2018, 06:14 PM
Goaltending, for the first time since Bonos first game, was the difference.

BTW, Seba after the game. Goes to the south. Grabs the badge. He's staying.

ag futbol
07-01-2018, 06:17 PM
They showed it after the first replay. He goes for the ball with his hand and then Delgado shoves him - I imagine because he was going for the ball.
It looked like he expected Robles to gather it and suddenly it was panic mode.

I thought absent the goal we played well today. There’s just no threat up front.

pfk
07-01-2018, 07:06 PM
We are really missing Jozy up front.

James17930
07-01-2018, 07:08 PM
The summer window opens July 12 or somewhere roundabouts, right?

We need help, and lots of it.

portu
07-01-2018, 07:29 PM
Not our day

Lmao seems like it’s not our day a lot this year

OgtheDim
07-01-2018, 07:57 PM
Good news

Hamilton played better then Ricketts has. Headers into spaces where players were was so valuable. Keep starting him please.

MightyDM
07-01-2018, 08:53 PM
Hamilton played well and in the second half there was some nice play. First 20 minutes was terrible and the Red Bulls pressure earned a deserved goal based on balance of play, even though the goal was crap. Oso has reached another
level and Chapman was very good when he came on.

The team needs us to stick with them. They are almost always taking two touches when they should take one, except for Marky. And his touches are going to opposition.

Auzzy
07-01-2018, 09:25 PM
A bunch of things about this team are REALLY pissing me off. I'll spare everyone the rant for now...

khso11
07-01-2018, 09:42 PM
Bradley and Oso looked lively today, but every else was mediocre/poor. The mentality is not there, the team needs to sort this out ASAP.

stevep
07-01-2018, 10:10 PM
did the argo game last week cause the bradley fall on that goal scoring opportunity?

OgtheDim
07-01-2018, 11:06 PM
did the argo game last week cause the bradley fall on that goal scoring opportunity?

They missed a chance in the first half because of a similar divot. Not sure it was the Argos but that pitch, although better then what we had back in April, was not as good as it should have been.

SirBobSaget
07-02-2018, 12:22 AM
Let's not forget the most consistent and key performer j osorio is 6 months away from a Bosman deal meaning another team can sign him for free.

portu
07-02-2018, 12:40 AM
Let's not forget the most consistent and key performer j osorio is 6 months away from a Bosman deal meaning another team can sign him for free.

Actually I’m pretty sure he’s already eligible to sign a pre-contract

SirBobSaget
07-02-2018, 01:01 AM
Right I didn't write clearly. Meant to say as you clarified that any other club can now sign osorio on a bosman pre contract. Which means no transfer fee for tfc

wynne
07-02-2018, 08:44 AM
I would rather him not at this point. He’s showing absolutely nothing right now and being a real shitty teammate. I absolutely love him for what he’s done here, but it would be a huge mistake to give him a new contract based on what he did. Time to move on

Gringo Starr
07-02-2018, 08:45 AM
Early goals against are killing us, seems we are always playing from behind this year.
on the plus side the effort was there, playing a top team in that heat the guys deserved a share of the points, not a bad bounce back game after the nycfc snafu

portu
07-02-2018, 08:51 AM
I would rather him not at this point. He’s showing absolutely nothing right now and being a real shitty teammate. I absolutely love him for what he’s done here, but it would be a huge mistake to give him a new contract based on what he did. Time to move on

This

TFC1986
07-02-2018, 10:13 AM
The heat played a factor for sure. A few times just a bit of ball watching. But as someone had mentioned a few post above. Our passes are as crisp anymore, which I felt is a big factor of us not being a threat up front when attacking

Kaz
07-02-2018, 10:26 AM
When will be stop making excuses.

You can maybe excuse the lack of goals due to injury... though in years pass that wasn't an issue. The boys found away without Jozy. However yet again. A team with the ability to press walked in scored in under 10 minutes because.... the team came out without being mentally prepared to play.

Why? Why is it that this team is a B team every game for the first 10 minutes or so?

Why is it teams with a strong attack can break apart the team so easily?

This is what cost the team the Champions League and it has been a consistent issue since February. This is on the mentality of the team. The Coach has either lost the team or he is responsible. There is a cancer in the locker room it needs to be found and removed.

Redpunkfiddle
07-02-2018, 10:44 AM
Goaltending, for the first time since Bonos first game, was the difference.

I thought he tapped his chest as if to say my fault.

magmadragon
07-02-2018, 01:04 PM
The one play that was bugging me was the run up the left by Hamilton in the 2nd half. We have numbers forward and looking to build, but he does this weak ass pass that get intercepted and it goes nowhere. That and Marky deciding late to run for the ball in the 1st half (up the right). Was funny if not a little sad.

I thought he tapped his chest as if to say my fault.

That's how I read it.

OgtheDim
07-02-2018, 02:01 PM
Could be. I was up on the east side....he kept pointing to his chest but pulled where the badge was. Regradless, he's communicating to the fans & that's a good thing.

TMAN80
07-02-2018, 04:32 PM
When will be stop making excuses.

You can maybe excuse the lack of goals due to injury... though in years pass that wasn't an issue. The boys found away without Jozy. However yet again. A team with the ability to press walked in scored in under 10 minutes because.... the team came out without being mentally prepared to play.

Why? Why is it that this team is a B team every game for the first 10 minutes or so?

Why is it teams with a strong attack can break apart the team so easily?

This is what cost the team the Champions League and it has been a consistent issue since February. This is on the mentality of the team. The Coach has either lost the team or he is responsible. There is a cancer in the locker room it needs to be found and removed.

That's easy, no Mavinga, or Moor. Simple as that. This would have happened last year in our championship year, if we were using Zavaleta, Hagglund, Hernadez, and whoever else we put back there at times(Bradley). Show me a team that would do this minus their best defenders. Oh yeah, and our best scorer, so there's the offence.

Kaz
07-02-2018, 05:31 PM
That's easy, no Mavinga, or Moor. Simple as that. This would have happened last year in our championship year, if we were using Zavaleta, Hagglund, Hernadez, and whoever else we put back there at times(Bradley). Show me a team that would do this minus their best defenders. Oh yeah, and our best scorer, so there's the offence.

Why did it only happen once then.. in the first 5 minutes?

Toronto has allowed a goal in the first 5 minutes 4 times this season in 21 games. Not including the number of times we have had near misses in the same time frame.

Isn't this supposed to be the deepest team in MLS history. Didn't Vanney brag about how deep the team was when they were winning?

Add in the 7 games where the team has allowed 1 or more goals in the first 21 minutes that is 1/3 of all played games this season. Again not including games where there were near misses and the team was able to weather the storm. In the 6 games where Toronto has allowed a goal before the 20 minute mark they have lost 5 and tied 1. (The game against America, TFC won after America struck first at 21 minutes)

1 out of 3 games Toronto has allowed early goals. You'd think a good coach would notice that and be working on discipline in the early game and work on ways to deal with that pressure. Rather than like some fans just shrug shoulders and blame injuries rather than poor preparation. It isn't the defenders alone making mistakes. The Boys can't keep possession. Teams rush them and they fold.

Last year if that happened it didn't bother them they still worked hard and got the goals. This year they are defeated. They seems to wake up after the first goal and stop allowing more. If it was all Zavaleta, Hagglund, Hernandez or who ever else is the scapegoat of the week there would be more goals in these games. Instead the team wakes up.

TFC has also allowed multiple goals within 10 minutes 6 times this season. (well 1 isn't fair because half time was in between but that falls into the team being asleep when the get on the pitch as goals early in the 2nd half have occurred a fair bit too)

In all 13 of our 30 MLS goals against have come either in the first 20 minutes of play, the first 5 minutes of the second half or were a second goals within 10 minutes of a previous one. Basically 43% of the MLS goals shouldn't have happened and are occurring because they are not prepared.

This is not a new issue. This Happened last year too. 6 games last season TFC allowed goals in the first 20 minutes. A total of 7 goals in the first 20 minutes. 1 of which was a second goal in 5 minutes. Add in 2 goals scored in the first 5 minutes of the second half and 2 more goals that were second goals within 10 minutes of a previous goal that is 11 of 37 goals that occurred due to not being sharp.

Last year though we scored a lot. This year not so much. The more this team feels like losers the more they play like losers.

That is because for 2 years they have been asleep in the first 20 minutes on the pitch. Teams are taking advantage of that now and defensive upgrades for other teams and less confident play by TFC means TFC is likely not going to make the playoffs. At least not unless something drastic changes.

Derko
07-03-2018, 11:28 AM
Yes injuries are killing us.
in the last home game Zavaleta was totally stripped of the ball which resulted in a goal, he was booed off the field and was subbed at halftime, he almost did the exact same thing in Sunday's match, his passes had barely made it to there intended recipient and when he did make a longer pass the ball went out of bounds.

Apathy has set in, the team feels like they are losers, Vanney has to stop with the excuses

Why are TFC not functioning as a unit anymore.

Just frustrating, TFC are better than this, are they trying to get Vanney fired, I ask?

C.Ronaldo
07-03-2018, 01:00 PM
Hamilton played well and in the second half there was some nice play. First 20 minutes was terrible and the Red Bulls pressure earned a deserved goal based on balance of play, even though the goal was crap. Oso has reached another
level and Chapman was very good when he came on.

The team needs us to stick with them. They are almost always taking two touches when they should take one, except for Marky. And his touches are going to opposition.

besides the giant muck up, hamilton was decent and deserves more games. he is better than rickets as a starter, hands down