PDA

View Full Version : Other MLS Games This Weekend - June 23-24th - The Quadrennial "THIS IS AWFUL" Week

OgtheDim
06-22-2018, 09:29 AM
Yup this weekend returns - every four years MLS comes back after we were all watching the World Cup - and it's painful. MLS is better than 4 years ago but no league play compares to the World Cup.

If you choose to watch, should be some decent for this level games. But it will be about 2 floors of steps down from what we've seen for the last week. Maybe a week to follow through reading the feeds of https://twitter.com/JogaBonito_USA

So...now that we all know that this week will be crud - here we go.

Saturday

After Germany vs. Sweden, look forward to -

Vancouver @ Philly 5pm, Of course, the week starts with this game. Ugh. Philly is hanging around but their last game was that loss to us two weeks ago - Vancouver is unbeaten since early May. Philly's defence won't be able to hold Vancouver's speed attack
2-1 win for Vancouver

FCD @ NYRB 6pm A decent game, again for this level. Only 5 losses in 28 games for these two teams. FCD just figures out how to win - except for that one game in Yankee Stadium. They should be able to handle the NYRB press. Red Bulls will be frustrated coming out of this game - that might be good for us going into the July 1st match.
3-2 win for FCD

Montreal @ Orlando 7:30pm A rematch from a week ago - the game that got Kreis fired. Montreal can still surprise. Orlando just isn't all that good. Still games in Orlando are very Florida Man. Expect the weird.
2-2 draw

Houston @ SKC 8:30pm Yeah...one of those games that only the aficionado would watch during normal weeks but as we play SKC on July 7, worth a look-see. SKC is the best team in the West, by far. Houston is pretty middling. Look great one week - next week look poor. SKC's defence will be the difference here.
2-0 SKC win

Minnesota @ Colorado 9pm- The Abyss
2-0 Loons win

San Jose @ RSL 10pm - The Abyss Returns (voted most likely game to surprise and actually be interesting)
3-2 RSL win

Chicago @ Seattle 10pm- The Abyss: The Final Chapter
1-1 draw

Columbus @ LAFC 10:30pm -Worth watching. Two of the best coaches in MLS. Two of the more exciting teams offensively. Defensively - got issues. The hipster's MLS showdown. Sure, it ain't Spain vs. Portugal but for league play, a not bad game to watch, maybe with a late night tipple/cigar/thing that won't be legal until October.

Sunday

Portland @ Atlanta 4:30pm I have a lot of time for the Atlanta fans - they came out 40K strong this week to watch the B+ team lose to Chicago in cup play. Portland is unbeaten since early April but their defence hasn't seen anything like Atlanta's movement. Watch the first 15 minutes because our game is at 5.
2-1 Atlanta win

OgtheDim
06-22-2018, 09:33 AM
For those who have been around long enough, one way to judge the growth in quality of MLS is to compare just how bad these games feel compared to 4 & 8 years ago.

I personally think MLS has grown in technical ability from being 3rd div level to now mid 2nd div level (using the non English levels). But, compared to the World Cup - it pales (like any other league would).

Voodooman
06-22-2018, 10:15 AM
aha yes I remember in pasts, watching euros or WC games and then watching MLS.

Im excited to watch the difference.

Oldtimer
06-22-2018, 12:38 PM
Saudi Arabia was worse than most MLS sides. Just saying.... :D

Blkndkr
06-22-2018, 02:29 PM
Still games in Orlando are very Florida Man.

*slow clap*

OgtheDim
06-22-2018, 02:51 PM
*slow clap*

I can't take credit for this

https://twitter.com/Deadspin/status/866438546717941760

http://forums.redpatchboys.ca/showthread.php?40400-Other-MLS-Games-May-20-21&p=1839541&viewfull=1#post1839541

OgtheDim
06-23-2018, 04:41 PM
Weird watching Doneil Henry play for Vancouver.

I would call this game tactically naive as well as technically lacking.

OgtheDim
06-23-2018, 07:19 PM
NYRB win 3-0 even though they were a man down from minute 24 - Royer will be out with a red.

Lesson for next week - never lose track of BWP.

PizzaEatingYeti
06-24-2018, 04:54 AM
NYRB win 3-0 even though they were a man down from minute 24 - Royer will be out with a red.

Lesson for next week - never lose track of BWP.

This BWP is a monster, without him the Red Bulls would be a more or less slightly above average team IMO.
In my eyes he is the Red Bulls' MVP by far for many years now.

I hate te him so much, and I can't say really why?
Maybe because it seems that he always scores so easily on all teams, or maybe because he always scores on TFC too?

Anyways, I can't see how we'll keep him out of the scoresheet next week.