PDA

View Full Version : Match Day 15 - TFC @ NYCFC Sunday June 24 5pm - A Night to Go Dreaming

OgtheDim
06-18-2018, 09:54 AM
Mind if I Tag Along?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Xg-LZQdt4k

Have at It People

ensco
06-18-2018, 08:08 PM
I almost always can get the joke on the videos, but I am at a loss here. Og, give us a clue.

OgtheDim
06-18-2018, 10:42 PM
Honestly?

That line about a night to go dreaming and asking if we could tag along with it. This is a night when the team are still dreaming & we are hoping to tag along with that dream.

That and a really good Bronx musician.

Blindside16
06-19-2018, 03:58 AM
I guess we will find out about Seba's status with the club in this one. If he doesn't dress than I guess there is merit to the transfer rumours.

ensco
06-19-2018, 06:02 AM
Honestly?

That line about a night to go dreaming and asking if we could tag along with it. This is a night when we are still dreaming & hoping to tag along with that dream.

That and a really good Bronx musician.

Ahh. Thank you.

Re the game, a lot depends on who we put out there, but even then, not sure we will get a result.

I think we will start looking like our old selves starting Sunday though.

Auzzy
06-19-2018, 08:26 AM
I really wish they had moved that last DCU game somewhere else in the season. This break feels too short for what the team needs.

pfk
06-19-2018, 08:38 AM
I guess we will find out about Seba's status with the club in this one. If he doesn't dress than I guess there is merit to the transfer rumours.

Is this based on his IG post the other day? I think I'm out of the loop on this one.

OgtheDim
06-19-2018, 02:43 PM
Injury news from today's practice.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/tfcs-drew-moor-back-field-sees-light-end-injury-tunnel/

Mavinga - 2 weeks

Moore - another month

Altidore - will know more later this week

So almost a full squad for Sunday.

Kamp Berg
06-19-2018, 07:02 PM
I can’t help but think that our best form might rely on Mavinga and to some extent, Moor, getting healthy.

dow117
06-19-2018, 07:37 PM
I am in from Vancouver this weekend . Any viewing pubs in Oshawa/ Durham region I can invade ? " TFC fan in Vancouver "

wopchop
06-19-2018, 09:12 PM

Is this based on his IG post the other day? I think I'm out of the loop on this one.

He posted an instragram photo (https://www.instagram.com/p/BkLC-aEAmc3/?taken-by=sebagiovincoofficial) of him walking down the tunnel and 'waving'. People were commenting if that was goodbye / welcome to Tigres / etc.

However, just a few hours ago, he posted a new photo (https://instagram.com/p/BkOBBl3AGta) with the caption "I said hi not goodbye"

OgtheDim
06-22-2018, 10:03 AM
The ref is Elfath. Usually one of the best - tends to use VAR by actually wanting to see things.

If we came out of this game with a point, I'd be happy. Our attack does well in that stadium & we are now quite used to going there - their defence will give us opportunities. But our defence makes silly errors that NYC will punish.

Voodooman
06-22-2018, 10:19 AM
We have seemed to always get good results there though. Anyone know our record at Yankee Stadium?

OgtheDim
06-22-2018, 12:15 PM
https://twitter.com/plattoli/status/1010181744669089793

https://twitter.com/plattoli/status/1010207543757438976

Getting there

Fort York Redcoat
06-22-2018, 12:31 PM
NYCFC with a couple players away in WC. We should expect some points from this.

Gringo Starr
06-22-2018, 02:11 PM
A win would be nice. It would put us 10 points back of the pigeons with a game in hand, win in NYC and second in the east is still in play.

looking forward to seeing 2morrow back in the starting lineup

PizzaEatingYeti
06-23-2018, 05:56 AM
Bookmakers are seeing this match with New York being a BIG favorite.

Lines from 5 Dimes right now:

New York City - Toronto FC (http://www.oddsportal.com/soccer/usa/mls/new-york-city-toronto-fc-UX3W5XJf/)
-137 (http://www.oddsportal.com/soccer/usa/mls/)
+304 (http://www.oddsportal.com/soccer/usa/mls/)
+337 (http://www.oddsportal.com/soccer/usa/mls/)

(first column = New York win; second column = draw; third column = TFC win)

For those not knowledgeable with betting:
If you bet $100 on TFC to win, in case of TFC win you get back your $100 plus $337.
If you bet on New York to win, in case of New York win you get back your $100 plus $72.99.

MightyDM
06-23-2018, 03:37 PM
We have seemed to always get good results there though. Anyone know our record at Yankee Stadium?

5-0. And it was a beauty.

Graeme
06-23-2018, 07:07 PM
Looking forward to this...at least 3 players will want to show they should have been at the World Cup.

I'm guessing at:

-Auro--VDW-- Hagglund--morrow--
--Bradley--Delgado--
--Chapman--Vazquez--Osorio--
--Giovinco--

Canary10
06-24-2018, 09:17 AM
I’m going out on a limb and saying we get a result today. Giovinco hattie.

OgtheDim
06-24-2018, 03:08 PM
Here we go

https://twitter.com/torontofc/status/1010976478220210176

notthesun
06-24-2018, 03:09 PM
Aketxe sighting.

TFC07
06-24-2018, 03:27 PM
Badly need a point at least.

Does anyone know when Jozy coming back?

Richard
06-24-2018, 03:30 PM
Minus Altidore and Mavinga that's our best 9, don't see why we cant get a win.

OgtheDim
06-24-2018, 03:54 PM
Badly need a point at least.

Does anyone know when Jozy coming back?

According to various journos:

Originally he was supposed to be back about now. The surgical wound on his foot took longer to heal. He just started working on the grass again.

Question would be whether he travels on the road trip to Minnesota & KC.

JavierMartini
06-24-2018, 04:04 PM
Nascar is still on tsn. Wtf lol

ag futbol
06-24-2018, 04:23 PM
Somebody tell ole’ Rauter you are only an international if you’ve been capped.

OgtheDim
06-24-2018, 04:43 PM
This game should be 3-1 now. They are playing wide over the top and getting in.

ag futbol
06-24-2018, 04:50 PM
So I thought our CB’s were on the slow side and somehow Victor Vasquez beats the offside trap and scores? I will take it!

notthesun
06-24-2018, 04:50 PM
That's a gift from Johnson, great finish by Vazquez.

MightyDM
06-24-2018, 05:00 PM
Nice shot by Oso. Brilliant run by Vasquez. Hasler playing well. Shaky at the back. Bono brilliant.

catz4ever
06-24-2018, 05:02 PM
I go to all the TFC home games, so I don’t watch the games on TV often but after watching World Cup all day and now the game we desperately need new guys on TV the make the game so boring

molenshtain
06-24-2018, 05:02 PM
all things considered, pretty decent performance so far

OgtheDim
06-24-2018, 05:11 PM
This game should be 5-2 for them - we are not tracking the second & third runners into the box and are getting overloaded.

flatpicker
06-24-2018, 05:16 PM
I go to all the TFC home games, so I don’t watch the games on TV often but after watching World Cup all day and now the game we desperately need new guys on TV the make the game so boring

Trust me, you aren't the first person to complain about the broadcast talent.
But at least Caldwell isn't part of today's game. Listening to him gives me anxiety.

The way I look at it, MLS is probably relatively low on the play-by-play & tv analyst pay ladder.
If you're really good you're likely in another country or calling a different sport that pays more.

GhostKiller
06-24-2018, 05:18 PM
Does anyone have a good stream?
I can't find a stable one.
Thanks

notthesun
06-24-2018, 05:23 PM
That was really messy. Had to clear our lines to get back in shape but couldn't, then VdW made a bad step up.

MightyDM
06-24-2018, 05:27 PM
Aketxe hasn’t been playing that badly but his sloppy giveaway started the sequence that led to that goal. And Van set Weil got turned rather easily there

troy1982
06-24-2018, 05:29 PM
Does anyone have a good stream?
I can't find a stable one.
Thanks

http://worldcupstream.live/tsn-4-live-streaming.html (http://www.dreamstreams.ml/p/stream5.html)

http://www.dreamstreams.ml/p/stream5.html

GBV
06-24-2018, 05:31 PM

The "look" sure as shit doesn't help. Brutal field and seeing mostly gaudy advertisements instead of fans on the other side of the field....ergh.

notthesun
06-24-2018, 05:37 PM
Feels like we're an inch from conceding with every NYC attack.

ag futbol
06-24-2018, 05:39 PM
That looked inevitable, sadly

smtavare
06-24-2018, 05:39 PM
Van der veil just terrible today - can't cover his man - also Aketxe experiment is done - get him out of here - what a waste of 1 million TAM

notthesun
06-24-2018, 05:40 PM
And there you go.

I don't know what Hagglund's doing there, it's like he didn't even see the guy running right past him.

Bad giveaway from Delgado led to that.

OgtheDim
06-24-2018, 05:40 PM
TFC defence not organized. Nobody called out that run & Haglund gets burned.

smtavare
06-24-2018, 05:41 PM
Toronto FC this year is 2014 all over again fuck - no more excuses - poor defending is on coach

benito
06-24-2018, 05:43 PM
Very disorganized.

Gringo Starr
06-24-2018, 05:44 PM
We look like we are being outrun on every play. Conditioning? Effort? Indifference? Whatever it is we look way to casual

smtavare
06-24-2018, 05:45 PM
Looks like we can use " That's so TFC" phrase again

ag futbol
06-24-2018, 05:48 PM
TFC defence not organized. Nobody called out that run & Haglund gets burned.
There’s basically no understanding of roles or assignments in midfield or defence. Looks entirely disjointed. And my god toothless up front.

Giovinco is no longer much of a threat from open play, especially without a target man to play off of.

portu
06-24-2018, 05:54 PM
I’ve long given up hope on playoffs, this team is far too arrogant. Now I just want this team to lose as many games as possible, bar Voyageurs.

Leedsoronto
06-24-2018, 06:00 PM
Having watched WC footy all week this game looks like soccer going in reverse!! So bad both teams

OgtheDim
06-24-2018, 06:01 PM
We look like we are being outrun on every play. Conditioning? Effort? Indifference? Whatever it is we look way to casual

They look gassed mentally - no urgency. At least 3 attacks in the last 10 minutes where there are only 2 guys up front & 5 of them. Nobody making runs from the middle.

azorean
06-24-2018, 06:02 PM
There’s basically no understanding of roles or assignments in midfield or defence. Looks entirely disjointed. And my god toothless up front.

Giovinco is no longer much of a threat from open play, especially without a target man to play off of.

Yeah, I was one that thought this was a CCL hangover BUT this is starting to get concerning now. You keep waiting for the 'rebound' week after week BUT they are not showing it. Still don't think this is CCL related. Not Now anyways. I have heard of a Superbowl hangover, maybe MLS cup hangover is applicable here?. I know the players talked a good game coming into this season, BUT are they hungry enough?.....injuries aside, still looks off.

gracos
06-24-2018, 06:02 PM
when do we restart the rebuild because we are broken, and at this rate going to be a long time before we go back to the playoffs

ensco
06-24-2018, 06:03 PM
Ricketts has to bury that

samuraizero
06-24-2018, 06:05 PM
Ricketts has to bury that
HAS to. Couldnt ask for a better chance

notthesun
06-24-2018, 06:07 PM
We created two real chances and our goal was a goalkeeping error. They could have had way more than 2 on us.

CCL set us back mentally and with injuries, and we haven't responded to climb out of the hole at all.

Gringo Starr
06-24-2018, 06:08 PM
They look gassed mentally - no urgency. At least 3 attacks in the last 10 minutes where there are only 2 guys up front & 5 of them. Nobody making runs from the middle.
This is a real concern for me now, I thought they would come back refreshed from the break and ready to make a move in the standings but it's just not there, the fight is gone

OgtheDim
06-24-2018, 06:09 PM
Its the lack of fight in that game that bothered me most. Havn't seen that since Defoe left.

azorean
06-24-2018, 06:09 PM
We created two real chances and our goal was a goalkeeping error. They could have had way more than 2 on us.

CCL set us back mentally and with injuries, and we haven't responded to climb out of the hole at all.

starting to think it may have been MLS cup that set us back as far as motivation, is the hunger still there to repeat after CCL?

OgtheDim
06-24-2018, 06:12 PM
starting to think it may have been MLS cup that set us back as far as motivation, is the hunger still there to repeat after CCL?

Agreed - I don't think its there. The first half team had some urgency. The second half - well that was a team who's getting used to losing. We've all seen that before.

ag futbol
06-24-2018, 06:14 PM
Yeah, I was one that thought this was a CCL hangover BUT this is starting to get concerning now. You keep waiting for the 'rebound' week after week BUT they are not showing it. Still don't think this is CCL related. Not Now anyways. I have heard of a Superbowl hangover, maybe MLS cup hangover is applicable here?. I know the players talked a good game coming into this season, BUT are they hungry enough?.....injuries aside, still looks off.
Looked like they gave up after 70 minutes. The score line was entirely flattering to TFC on the day. At the very least NYCFC should have converted that 4v2 on the counter attack.

There are things on this team that will have to be changed, with certainty (like upgrading the CB spot). Others are still TBD. However, in totality this is a massively underperforming team right now vs. its payroll, injuries or not.

I find it hard to take any CCL run after this credibly when we look like a bottom quartile club for the league. Qualifying to a regional tournament after being this poor would feel unjust.

SoccMan2
06-24-2018, 06:18 PM
Look even with Moore, Mavinga and Altidore back can’t see much changing , the ghost of TFC past is back it seems hopefully I’m wrong but I’m not thinking so, this team looks broken it was nice while it lasted but get ready for the old days to slowly come back.

Loyal
06-24-2018, 06:20 PM
"Ricketts has to bury that"......haven't hears that song before! LOL

Million dollar legs - two dollar brain!

"CCL Hangover".....This fatigue factor actually dates back two years

In the First MLS Cup game at BMO we had a very short off season after a draining campaign and playoff

Then after fighting for a supporters shield all year we once again went deep into December for the MLS Cup - only this time we had an even shorter off season prepping for the CCL

This is why few teams repeat in any sport nowadays

The best thing this club can do is use second string players for this years Canadian Championship series

They need a break badly

Canary10
06-24-2018, 06:23 PM
We look like a team for which losing has become acceptable. No fight. Looks like a shell of last year, even from the team that started the CCL.

OgtheDim
06-24-2018, 06:23 PM
Well the last game of the season is Oct 28 so even if we somehow manage to win our way through again in the Voyageurs, we'll have that extra 6 weeks off.

PizzaEatingYeti
06-24-2018, 06:29 PM
The best thing this club can do is use second string players for this years Canadian Championship series

I very strongly disagree.
Winning the Canadian Championship must be the most important priority this year, that would be the only thing that will salvage partially an utter shit season.
...Because in MLS I'm afraid that even if we will sneak somehow into the playoffs, we'll not get near the MLS cup final anyways.
I just cant see it. There are too many things wrong with the team this year.

ensco
06-24-2018, 06:39 PM
I can’t get upset. I just won’t do it.

They are a championship team with an unsettled lineup that is really struggling. Morrow, boy, I think he's hurt again.

They need to do some tinkering (I am beginning to think Ricketts may have to be upgraded - I love the guy but strikers have to strike...)

Still. I believe.

azorean
06-24-2018, 06:49 PM

They are a championship team with an unsettled lineup that is really struggling. Morrow, boy, I think he's hurt again.

They need to do some tinkering (I am beginning to think Ricketts may have to be upgraded - I love the guy but strikers have to strike...)

Still. I believe.

I believe too ! and they are unsettled, granted, BUT i thought even unsettled we were good enough for MLS based on last year. Or at least good enough to compete. Still think something beyond injuries, available players, is amiss here. Something lacking. Hate questioning professional players hunger but something is NOW wrong here. Hope they get it together, we had the makings of an MLS dynasty with this group.

OgtheDim
06-24-2018, 06:53 PM
FWIW

I was pissed watching this.
https://twitter.com/MattDoyle76/status/1011015774897627138

Not buying yet the locker room idea as this was only 1 half of nobody caring.

But Something happened in that second half that was just not a good thing.

stevep
06-24-2018, 07:30 PM
FWIW

I was pissed watching this.
https://twitter.com/MattDoyle76/status/1011015774897627138

Not buying yet the locker room idea as this was only 1 half of nobody caring.

But Something happened in that second half that was just not a good thing.

when Marky delgado comes on this year. we give up leads and lose games. every time he comes on late in a game we lose.
i was glad when aketche came off because he did nothing all game. someone said his giveaway lead to the first goal.
but then i was worried because the sub was marky

so now we have two weaknesses obvious glaring weaknesses. one midfield spot and centre back
aketche is a very bad player, the great bez blew it on that one

Oldtimer
06-24-2018, 07:32 PM
The mentality is all wrong. I don't see them making the playoffs, or if they do it will be one and out.

On the bright side, I'm expecting to save big on not having to buy too many playoff tickets.
Plus I can buy this year's "star" jersey and have the memories of the previous two great years.

Oh, and Aketxe is a really good player. For a completely different team. Time to ship out Aketxe = Gilberto II.

stevep
06-24-2018, 07:50 PM
The mentality is all wrong. I don't see them making the playoffs, or if they do it will be one and out.

On the bright side, I'm expecting to save big on not having to buy too many playoff tickets.
Plus I can buy this year's "star" jersey and have the memories of the previous two great years.

Oh, and Aketxe is a really good player. For a completely different team. Time to ship out Aketxe = Gilberto II.

Oh, and Aketxe is a really good player.

your joking right?
if not on what possible basis can you say he is a really good player??

oso, is set up for a huge raise because of the aketche situation.
imagine how shit we would be without oso

on another note: i think all this talk of hunger to win again is bullshit. I am not blaming the guys. it must be really tough to get up for another season after the one they had last season. the motivation is just not there.
i think they were saying that the last 3 world cup winners did not get past qualifying in their next world cup.
germany was 30 seconds away from being this close to being out of the tournament. so that would have been 4 in a row of winners of wc not getting past qualification.

even myself as a fan at the beginning of the year, i could not get up for this year like i could last years season.

portu
06-24-2018, 07:53 PM

Agreed. Aketxe is a good player, just doesn’t fit our team.

NK Toronto
06-24-2018, 08:02 PM
For me the million dollar question is what exactly is this team? Are we still a championship calibre team that just needs some tinkering, or are we an aging, injury prone team that can no longer contend?

There has been a lot of blame placed on player's like Aketxe, Ricketts, Zavaletta, and Delgado, but is the play of these players the reason the team is losing? Two of our DP's, Giovinco and Bradley are having their worst seasons since arriving at the club. These are the players the club sinks or swims with, yet no one seems to be talking about them. Does Giovinco still deserve to be the highest paid player in MLS? The way MLS works with the salary cap if your DP's are not earning their salaries and are not the best players on your team then it is almost impossible to win.

ag futbol
06-24-2018, 08:16 PM
Very hard to evaluate Bradley with the amount of disorganization in the midfield around him, although I concede he has played some stinkers this year (mainly at CB).

Giovinco... man. He’s like right where Altidore was a season or two ago sitting in a huge rut. He’s definitely missing that extra half step or two he had when he first arrived here. That said, you’d still figure on balance he should be producing goals.

In totality I agree with your point. Our best players have to start looking more the part if we are to turn this around.

oranje boven
06-24-2018, 08:18 PM
I'm trying to be patient knowing the the CCL has set us back with injuries and all.....but;
I'm starting to wonder who our training staff exactly are and what are they doing? We look gassed in every game?
I am having little to no confidence in Zav and Hagglund as the 2 CB's in a 4 back system. They are o.k. if uncle Drew is in between them, but on their own... too often out of position and flat footed.
Ricketts has had plenty of opportunity this year; lots of running around... very little result.
Every week i think this is it, this is where our season begins..

NK Toronto
06-24-2018, 08:28 PM
It's interesting that several players have been given contract extensions during the season, such as VV and Bono. However it's no accident that management is very reluctant to extend Giovinco's contract. I think Bez and company realize that Seba's play has dropped off and they are not prepared to extend his contract, at least not at his current salary. I wouldn't be surprised if this is his last season at TFC. In fact I expect it.

The last half of this season is going to be very interesting as to the future direction of this team. I don't think MLSE is going to be very happy that the team with the highest payroll is near the bottom of the league and in all likelihood will miss the play-offs, which means no play-off ticket revenue. We have already seen attendance drop off this season. Remember MLSE is a corporation whose first and foremost goal is profits. If club revenues decline this season I fully expect the club's payroll to be slashed for 2018.

azorean
06-24-2018, 08:41 PM
It's interesting that several players have been given contract extensions during the season, such as VV and Bono. However it's no accident that management is very reluctant to extend Giovinco's contract. I think Bez and company realize that Seba's play has dropped off and they are not prepared to extend his contract, at least not at his current salary. I wouldn't be surprised if this is his last season at TFC. In fact I expect it.

Man, not saying you are right or wrong, and i know it has to happen eventually, but hard to even picture TFC with no Giovinco.

BelfastBoy
06-24-2018, 08:43 PM
This game was shocking compared to the level of football in the world cup. I know that this squad is just saving its energy for the 2nd half of the season..

NK Toronto
06-24-2018, 08:48 PM
Man, not saying you are right or wrong, and i know it has to happen eventually, but hard to even picture TFC with no Giovinco.

We all love what Giovinco has done for TFC, however the biggest mistake management can make is to pay a player based on what he has done in the past, rather than what he will do going forward. This is where management has to do what is in the best interests of the club even if it means parting with fan favourites.

azorean
06-24-2018, 09:04 PM
We all love what Giovinco has done for TFC, however the biggest mistake management can make is to pay a player based on what he has done in the past, rather than what he will do going forward. This is where management has to do what is in the best interests of the club even if it means parting with fan favourites.

I would agree with this 99 percent of the time but there are some exceptions i think, Giovinco might be one of those. Hope they can find a way to make it work.

SirBobSaget
06-24-2018, 10:26 PM
Lately every early sub and formation change has backfired. Vanney in his desperation to get noticed is getting out-managed again and again.

SirBobSaget
06-24-2018, 10:34 PM
Red Bulls made the CCL semis plus playing in the US Cup recently have 29 pts in 15. TFC granted played 2 extra CCL are on 15 pts in 15 games.
Payroll TFC 26 million, payroll NYRB 7.7 million

ag futbol
06-24-2018, 10:41 PM
Lately every early sub and formation change has backfired. Vanney in his desperation to get noticed is getting out-managed again and again.
In all honesty, what would we like to see Vanney do? It’s hard to know if earlier forays like Bradley at CB were strategic or just a requirement given injuries. He’s gotten a lot out of second and third choice options, more than we’d expect.

The players this year just have not executed. That could be because of injuries, fatigue, motivation, talent in certain cases ... but i really wouldn’t point to coaching as a primary issue here.

portu
06-24-2018, 10:54 PM
In all honesty, what would we like to see Vanney do? It’s hard to know if earlier forays like Bradley at CB were strategic or just a requirement given injuries. He’s gotten a lot out of second and third choice options, more than we’d expect.

The players this year just have not executed. That could be because of injuries, fatigue, motivation, talent in certain cases ... but i really wouldn’t point to coaching as a primary issue here.
Resign. I would like to see him resign so that an individual with a fresh perspective and lack of arrogance can take over. If we had tactical solutions, we'd be coaching.

SirBobSaget
06-24-2018, 11:19 PM

IDK whats to be done and in reality no one else posting here does. Were just emotional fans that vent and react. There's a real problem since the CCL final, for over 2 moths the message has been this is when the team kicks it in gear towards the MLS Cup only to be set back again and again. There is something really wrong that those in charge have yet to correct.

notthesun
06-24-2018, 11:48 PM
Resign. I would like to see him resign so that an individual with a fresh perspective and lack of arrogance can take over. If we had tactical solutions, we'd be coaching.

Consider for a moment the amount of success constantly replacing coaches has gotten this team throughout its history vs. the amount of success we have seen with the only coach we have ever signed to a second contract.

So many people wanted Vanney gone after 2015... where would we be if we had went down that path?

portu
06-25-2018, 02:01 AM
Consider for a moment the amount of success constantly replacing coaches has gotten this team throughout its history vs. the amount of success we have seen with the only coach we have ever signed to a second contract.

So many people wanted Vanney gone after 2015... where would we be if we had went down that path?
At what point do we stop treating this club like it’s 2015 though? Are we just never going to make coaching changes now?

Blindside16
06-25-2018, 03:51 AM
when Marky delgado comes on this year. we give up leads and lose games. every time he comes on late in a game we lose.
i was glad when aketche came off because he did nothing all game. someone said his giveaway lead to the first goal.
but then i was worried because the sub was marky

so now we have two weaknesses obvious glaring weaknesses. one midfield spot and centre back
aketche is a very bad player, the great bez blew it on that one

I agree 100% with your view on Delgado. He is way too inconsistent. The majority of the time he passes he doesn't actually look he just plays the ball where he thinks someone might be. When they brought on Zavleta at the half I said oh shit. He cannot play alongside Hagglund. The 2 of them for whatever reason are horrible when lined up with each other.

The overall effort in that second half was pathetic. For fuck sakes boys if we are going to lose can we at least go down fighting.

Oldtimer
06-25-2018, 05:01 AM
At what point do we stop treating this club like it’s 2015 though? Are we just never going to make coaching changes now?

I realize that the first tendency is to blame the coach, and some people have never bought into Vanney despite winning the MLS Cup, but you don't fire a coach the year after winning everything, even if you get a rebound year.

Leicester made the mistake of firing their coach the following year and it hurt, not helped.

I actually think that team construction is the issue. We have too many fragile players, and some of them are looking worse as they age. We've put all our money on a few players rather than a better balanced squad. I realize that the MLS salary system tends towards this, but other teams have managed it better than TFC at lower cost.

OgtheDim
06-25-2018, 06:10 AM
FWIW, apparently the Auro sub was not tactical.

TFC Tifoso
06-25-2018, 07:31 AM

Still. I believe.

this team will go undefeated the rest of the way when Jozy and Mavinga come back.....

Not much else to say about the game.....

Yohan
06-25-2018, 08:14 AM
this team will go undefeated the rest of the way when Jozy and Mavinga come back.....

Not much else to say about the game.....
I'd be extremely concerned when Jozy comes back from injury and TFC keeps misfiring. Jozy, not Giovinco is the key to TFC attack.

OgtheDim
06-25-2018, 08:29 AM
I'd be extremely concerned when Jozy comes back from injury and TFC keeps misfiring. Jozy, not Giovinco is the key to TFC attack.

Also the key to us transitioning the ball out of the back. Right now we have no outlet man.

OgtheDim
06-25-2018, 08:53 AM
On a positive note

Bono had a great game.

ag futbol
06-25-2018, 08:54 AM
Unless the new coach has magical healing powers I doubt it will make much of a difference.

I’m surprised this is some people’s primary point of contention. What about spending two million dollars on several marquee players in the offseason and having their contributions be less than a cheap punt on a Brazilian RWB?

ag futbol
06-25-2018, 09:00 AM
Also the key to us transitioning the ball out of the back. Right now we have no outlet man.
We’ve always been better with Jozy on the field but his absence hasn’t always been so problematic. Ironically two midfielders are our leading scorers on the year, which says a lot.

C.Ronaldo
06-25-2018, 09:19 AM
Why is VV so gassed every game around the 70th

He really should be more fit than that, its not like he sprints up and down the field.

anywho, hes not he problem

1)Zav and Hag cannot play together, NEVER.
2)giovinco needs a kick in the mid-season ass
3) delgado needs to start one game, if he stinks, bench him and play chapman. Hes still excellent trade value. Get us a striker.
4) this game could have used Telfer as a sub.
5) Rickets is done, might as well put Hamilton up front. Worst case Hamilton learns something,
6) Aketxe, send him to TFC2 or get rid of him, He is wasting bench space
7) Morrow isnt 90 minute ready, we need morgan back!
8) I think Mavinga is still our biggest imapct player, followed by Jozy

Joe Kool
06-25-2018, 11:15 AM
Overall impression....we had no hunger to win in the second half from many players. I am starting to think for the first time our issues might not just be the injuries. Bradley having to run forward out of DM a number of times to try to get the ball in the second half because our forwards couldn't bother to try to put pressure on their defense was pathetic to watch. Also, sick of Giovinco not getting the ball then immediately starting to walk away from the ball/play when he still has a chance to create a turnover to get the ball back. This happened immediately before they scored one of their goals when the play started in their end. Not sure what else to say. Another game we should/could have got 3 points from.

TFC Tifoso
06-25-2018, 11:32 AM

agreed 100%.....

Yohan
06-25-2018, 12:16 PM
Overall impression....we had no hunger to win in the second half from many players. I am starting to think for the first time our issues might not just be the injuries. Bradley having to run forward out of DM a number of times to try to get the ball in the second half because our forwards couldn't bother to try to put pressure on their defense was pathetic to watch. Also, sick of Giovinco not getting the ball then immediately starting to walk away from the ball/play when he still has a chance to create a turnover to get the ball back. This happened immediately before they scored one of their goals when the play started in their end. Not sure what else to say. Another game we should/could have got 3 points from.
I somewhat agree with this. NYCFC is pretty much unplayable at home this season in league play. They are 7 wins, 1 draw and 0 losses so far. And that postage stamp size 'pitch' really disrupted TFC rhythm, esp on the flanks. But when Villa went out, I think TFC could have done more to capitalize.

I guess simply put, NYCFC is playing like 2nd best team in Eastern Conference, avg almost 2 pts per game.

https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2018/06/24/armchair-analyst-unions-hard-tfcs-soft-more-week-17

edit: some interesting words from Matt Doyle

Kaz
06-25-2018, 02:46 PM
I realize that the first tendency is to blame the coach, and some people have never bought into Vanney despite winning the MLS Cup, but you don't fire a coach the year after winning everything, even if you get a rebound year.

Leicester made the mistake of firing their coach the following year and it hurt, not helped.

I actually think that team construction is the issue. We have too many fragile players, and some of them are looking worse as they age. We've put all our money on a few players rather than a better balanced squad. I realize that the MLS salary system tends towards this, but other teams have managed it better than TFC at lower cost.

Even though I think Vanney is really over rated and is directly responsible for the poor play we have seen this year and even the injuries (from bad or over training). Even I think that sadly he get the season. replacing him mid season may help but long term would be bad you need the right coach to replace him.

Joe Kool
06-25-2018, 02:58 PM
I somewhat agree with this. NYCFC is pretty much unplayable at home this season in league play. They are 7 wins, 1 draw and 0 losses so far. And that postage stamp size 'pitch' really disrupted TFC rhythm, esp on the flanks. But when Villa went out, I think TFC could have done more to capitalize.

I guess simply put, NYCFC is playing like 2nd best team in Eastern Conference, avg almost 2 pts per game.

https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2018/06/24/armchair-analyst-unions-hard-tfcs-soft-more-week-17

edit: some interesting words from Matt Doyle

Matt Doyle is seeing what I am seeing so good, not just me. NYCFC always has the advantage in that stupid field and they will not be on a level playing surface with the rest of the league until they get a proper pitch but that is a point that is debated every time we play them there. The issue with this was not NYCFC because they looked just as beatable as every other time we played them even with our injury depleted team. The issue here was all TFC.

noimpactinmtl
06-25-2018, 06:02 PM
Unless the new coach has magical healing powers I doubt it will make much of a difference.

I’m surprised this is some people’s primary point of contention. What about spending two million dollars on several marquee players in the offseason and having their contributions be less than a cheap punt on a Brazilian RWB?

The only flop signing is Aketxe, VdW have proven himself to be quality. What more can you do when your entire backline got injured at one point and we had to put together Bradley-VdW as our center halves? Even Man City and Barcelona would struggle for answers.

Vanney has proven himself to be competent at maximizing the potential of a roster. He knows how to build a culture and prepares them. The few problems I do have with him (over reliance on target men at CF) other coaches have similar weak spots.

Initial B
06-25-2018, 06:51 PM
FWIW, apparently the Auro sub was not tactical.
Care to elaborate? Did something happen in the locker room at halftime that caused the second half performance? because from what I watched, two or three times after the ball was coughed up in their end, the whole attacking group's body language, just, slumped.

OgtheDim
06-25-2018, 07:38 PM
All from this tweet

https://twitter.com/plattoli/status/1011067565769048065

ag futbol
06-25-2018, 08:12 PM
The only flop signing is Aketxe, VdW have proven himself to be quality. What more can you do when your entire backline got injured at one point and we had to put together Bradley-VdW as our center halves? Even Man City and Barcelona would struggle for answers.

I don’t have an issue with VDW as a player but his utility to our team as a RB is less than other positions on the field where we are currently struggling.

Derko
06-26-2018, 07:32 AM
Has anyone noticed the lack of leadership and drive from Bradley as of late, it really affects the whole team, The entire team itself seems to be playing with a huge degree of apathy and drive.
That is my concern, like the season has been lost already. Totally agree with Altidore missing our attack is inept.

paul-collins
06-26-2018, 07:57 AM
All from this tweet

https://twitter.com/plattoli/status/1011067565769048065

I really wish people would put the tweet words into the post directly, some of us have web blockers in place that kill twitter...

Joe Kool
06-26-2018, 08:55 AM
I really wish people would put the tweet words into the post directly, some of us have web blockers in place that kill twitter...

This was it "No word on what the issue or was or how serious, but sounds like the Auro sub was forced, not tactical. #TFCLive"

paul-collins
06-26-2018, 11:37 AM
Thanks Joe

Og, no disrespect intended, just about everyone does it. But it sends me to my phone every time...

OgtheDim
06-26-2018, 12:20 PM
Good point - I copy those a lot on here, I admit.

Initial B
06-26-2018, 12:59 PM
Well, if Auro doesn't show up at practice, I guess we can assume he suffered some sort of injury?

jloome
06-26-2018, 01:56 PM
Well, if Auro doesn't show up at practice, I guess we can assume he suffered some sort of injury?

The guy is a hideous defender. I'm sorry, but he can't man mark for shit and I've never seen him make a tackle without help.

He's a decent winger, probably starting quality on most teams, but not his one.

Neither Hagglund nor Zavaleta is consistent enough to be playing without an experienced center back to guide them.

Bradley's play continues to decline. His work rate is good but he's trying to cover too much ground to make up for others lagging.

Our defensive effort was pathetic on the weekend.

I suspect there are personality issues at this point, but they may all just be worn down.

MightyDM
06-27-2018, 07:15 PM

Still. I believe.

I agree. But they look totally exhausted

Fort York Redcoat
06-27-2018, 07:32 PM

Well it's a site feature and it's being used. You can ask every time if you like but it's on you.

paul-collins
06-28-2018, 10:45 AM
Well that's helpful. Invisible content as a feature.