PDA

View Full Version : BMO Field - from 30k to 40k seats

Canuck82
06-13-2018, 10:17 AM
With the winning United bid for 2026, it looks like BMO Field will be in line for a substantial upgrade to get to at least 40k seats. What is the most likely way to achieve that? Closing in the corners? Expanding the south end into a second tier? What can be done with the north end, having been set further back to accommodate a CFL field. With eight years to go to the World Cup - when do you look at doing the renovation?

shwade
06-13-2018, 10:18 AM
With the winning United bid for 2026, it looks like BMO Field will be in line for a substantial upgrade to get to at least 40k seats. What is the most likely way to achieve that? Closing in the corners? Expanding the south end into a second tier? What can be done with the north end, having been set further back to accommodate a CFL field. With eight years to go to the World Cup - when do you look at doing the renovation?

Man, they better make it nice and not just add in cheap filler seats...This is our chance to have a (nearly) world class stadium.

pfk
06-13-2018, 10:33 AM
For temporary seats, they can always do what they did in Ekaterinburg Arena for this World Cup.

https://imgur.com/gallery/XETDNXohttps://i.imgur.com/XETDNXo.jpg

Oldtimer
06-13-2018, 10:36 AM
Actually no guarantee ANY games will be in Toronto. FIFA will decide 16 cities out of a pool of 23.

TFC Tifoso
06-13-2018, 10:45 AM
Wouldn't be surprised to see temporary stands like they had for 2017 MLS Playoffs/Winter Classic....I don't know how they would have the room to expand 10k permanently on one side of the stadium, unless the plan is to do 5k on each end....

Actually no guarantee ANY games will be in Toronto. FIFA will decide 16 cities out of a pool of 23.

True, but i can't see any situation where Toronto is not included, especially since BC was not included in the provisional list a few months back.

Oldtimer
06-13-2018, 10:50 AM
Just listened to the stream. They are adding temporary seating like for the 2016 MLS Cup. No permanent seating.

Areathrasher
06-13-2018, 11:00 AM
And it'll be 45k for teh WC

Red4ever
06-13-2018, 11:22 AM
For temporary seats, they can always do what they did in Ekaterinburg Arena for this World Cup.

what a lovely wall of death.

fergiejr
06-13-2018, 11:26 AM
Just listened to the stream. They are adding temporary seating like for the 2016 MLS Cup. No permanent seating.

Actually what Bill said was they originally bid using the term Temporary Seating but will look to see if they need to make it permanent. That means TFC keeps winning and they keep selling tickets.

Having said that though, I think 40K seating would leave a lot of empty seats. Lots of people go to the cottage in the summer and leave seats empty as it is now.

troy1982
06-13-2018, 11:27 AM
The bid book has BMO field expanding to 45,000K, not 40,000

https://img.fifa.com/image/upload/w3yjeu7dadt5erw26wmu.pdf

fergiejr
06-13-2018, 11:28 AM

You couldn't pay me to sit at the top up there.

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2016/07/17/15/365CD97500000578-0-image-a-55_1468764097480.jpg

troy1982
06-13-2018, 11:29 AM

were they speculating or did they know for sure?
the bid book has BMO going to 45,000 by the way so 5,000 more than the MLS Cup.

troy1982
06-13-2018, 11:36 AM
Wouldn't be surprised to see temporary stands like they had for 2017 MLS Playoffs/Winter Classic....I don't know how they would have the room to expand 10k permanently on one side of the stadium, unless the plan is to do 5k on each end....

True, but i can't see any situation where Toronto is not included, especially since BC was not included in the provisional list a few months back.

the bid calls for 45,000 at BMO so 15K additional seats

ensco
06-13-2018, 11:50 AM
This is something I posted I long time ago in the World Cup bid thread... we have probably been mostly used in this process, I don't expect to see many games in Canada, any games in Toronto, or automatic qualification for Canada.

Games in Canada/Toronto: nothing has been “guaranteed” to Canada, and the only thing FIFA care about is stadium size. 40K or 45K isn't enough. We are third on the list in Canada in any scenario. I have a funny feeling there will only be games in Montreal, why put games in Edmonton or Toronto when you can drop them and add a US stadium with 90K seats? Even if that's not true, I don't know how they get to 40K (or 45K!) without spending $100M or something. The Grey Cup temporary seating got them to 36K, it's not like there is anywhere else to put up meccano set seats. You could maybe get a couple of thousand more in the north end.

Qualification: up to Concacaf. There is NO WAY we will get in automatically. Best case is that we automatically qualify for the play in tourney FIFA are talking about (32 of the 48 spots would come the traditional way, the other 16 come from a play in tournament the year before that replaces Confederation Cup). But even then I have my doubts...

RealG-TFC
06-13-2018, 11:59 AM
I actually think because it's up to FIFA that there will be plenty of games in Canada. I wouldn't be surprise if they try to downplay a bit of the overwhelmingly US-centric aspect of this bid due to it being a previous host, current global political climate, and the fact that orginally 2026 was intended to be Canada's bid.

TFC Tifoso
06-13-2018, 12:30 PM

yup, see that....thanks.....

This is something I posted I long time ago in the World Cup bid thread... we have probably been mostly used in this process, I don't expect to see many games in Canada, any games in Toronto, or automatic qualification for Canada.

Games in Canada/Toronto: nothing has been “guaranteed” to Canada, and the only thing FIFA care about is stadium size. 40K or 45K isn't enough. We are third on the list in Canada in any scenario. I have a funny feeling there will only be games in Montreal, why put games in Edmonton or Toronto when you can drop them and add a US stadium with 90K seats? Even if that's not true, I don't know how they get to 40K (or 45K!) without spending $100M or something. The Grey Cup temporary seating got them to 36K, it's not like there is anywhere else to put up meccano set seats. You could maybe get a couple of thousand more in the north end.

Qualification: up to Concacaf. There is NO WAY we will get in automatically. Best case is that we automatically qualify for the play in tourney FIFA are talking about (32 of the 48 spots would come the traditional way, the other 16 come from a play in tournament the year before that replaces Confederation Cup). But even then I have my doubts...

Well, reading a breakdown of the bid showed 10 games each in Mexico and Canada, and none from the QF on.....imo, it wouldn't make sense to include them in the bid, only to use 1 city as a host....I think Canada will get 2-3 host cities (Toronto, Montreal, and Edmonton or Calgary)
Just for comparison, only 3 stadiums to be used in Russia are above 45k gross capacity, and 2 of those 3 above 48k....
Qualification might be interesting to see how its done.....

Couchy81
06-13-2018, 12:33 PM
I wonder if their plans for safe standing in the south will be put on hold until after 2026 now.

TFC1154ever
06-13-2018, 12:41 PM

They had just over 40 for the winter classic. What TFC will probably do, is add 5,000 permanent seats. Where? That I do not know. I hope if they can, it would be to the corners, but I doubt that.

As for qualifying, they will get an auto spot. Look at 2002 as an example. Korea and Japan co hosted that one and both got in. That was a 32 team tourney. It’s going to be a 48 team tourney in 2026. They will not be stupid enough to leave these 3 teams to qualify for themselves. There is no presitant of FIFA every doing that.

I’m very curious of what this means for BMO Field. I think 30,000 is perfect right now for TFC. Can they play in 35,000 seat stadium in 8 years and continue to sell out? Great question.

Oldtimer
06-13-2018, 12:49 PM
were they speculating or did they know for sure?
the bid book has BMO going to 45,000 by the way so 5,000 more than the MLS Cup.

According to Bill Manning, the bid called for temporary seating to bring it up to the FIFA minimum of 45k seats. No more. This is not speculation, it's from the top guy for BMO Field.

He did not rule out the possibility of adding some permanent seats if it makes sense from a TFC perspective, but the World Cup has zero to do with whether they add any. He was very specific.

Oldtimer
06-13-2018, 12:50 PM
I wonder if their plans for safe standing in the south will be put on hold until after 2026 now.

Safe standing implies special seats that can be up or locked down. If they go ahead they will just lock the seats down for the WC. I believe all seaters are also required for the CCL, though I'm not 100% sure on that.

Couchy81
06-13-2018, 01:39 PM
Safe standing implies special seats that can be up or locked down. If they go ahead they will just lock the seats down for the WC. I believe all seaters are also required for the CCL, though I'm not 100% sure on that.

Excellent. Yes I believe you are correct, I think some stadiums in the U.S. with older bench seating in the upper bowls will need replacements.

Captain
06-13-2018, 01:49 PM
Right now Concacaf has 3 spots out of the 32 spots in the world cup. The latest proposal I heard is that with 48 teams concacaf would have 6 spots. With this change I don't see any reason why Canada, the US and Mexico would not get automatic spots in 2026. It still leaves the same 3 spots we currently have for other concacaf teams to get. And they would not be fighting Mexico and the US for the 3 spots. (plus there is a potential for a 7th spot through a play in game).

I like the suggested structure of 16 groups of 3 with the top two teams in each group moving on to one game elimination rounds. The tournament would take the same length of time.

Apparently, the video reel that was played for the United Bid heavily featured BMO when referencing Canada. How can Toronto not end up getting at least a couple of the 10 games to be played in Canada?

JT Red127
06-13-2018, 02:11 PM
No chance Toronto doesn't get a game, its basically a done deal. They city is all in on this. We'll have a game on the opening day, Toronto, Mexico City and L.A.

TFC Tifoso
06-13-2018, 02:26 PM
23 cities were included in the bid, of which 16 will be picked....

Canada - Toronto, Montreal, Edmonton
Mexico - Monterrey, Guadalajara, Mexico City
USA - Seattle, SF/Bay Area, LA, Denver, KC, Dallas, Houston, NY/NJ, Boston, Philly, Baltimore, Washington DC, Cincinnati, Nashville, Atlanta, Orlando, Miami

I'm thinking the 3 in Canada and Mexico are locks, then 10 from the US.....

Couchy81
06-13-2018, 03:00 PM
No chance Toronto doesn't get a game, its basically a done deal. They city is all in on this. We'll have a game on the opening day, Toronto, Mexico City and L.A.

I think this will be the case, with each home country playing on the opening day - Canada opens at BMO, U.S. in LA and Mexico at Azteca

Captain
06-13-2018, 03:17 PM
The bid book has BMO field expanding to 45,000K, not 40,000

I've been trying to read through as much of this bid book as I can. It states that Canada will have 10 games to be played in three stadiums - 7 in the group stage - 2 in the round of 32 and 1 in the round of 16. One stadium will get 4 games while the other two get 3. Mexico will have the same.

The US will have 60 games to be played in 10 stadiums.

Of course something could change or be adjusted by FIFA but this is how the bid was proposed.

Also, the proposed schedule shows one game is each country on opening night.

Now the question is, do we get 3 games or 4 games. I believe the Big O and the Edmonton stadium both have turf which means they have to put down temporary grass. How does that hold up? Can it last for 4 games or does TO get the four games because we have a natural grass pitch. I'm still betting Montreal gets the 4 games due to the capacity of the Big O.

Captain
06-13-2018, 03:29 PM
Another fact I find interesting is that Azteca has a hybrid field surface but will be required to put in a natural grass surface for the world cup.

Globetrotter
06-13-2018, 03:35 PM
Apparently, the video reel that was played for the United Bid heavily featured BMO when referencing Canada.

That might be because there's no way they would put Montreal's stadium in the footage (at least the inside), and at least Toronto you have a beautiful venue with a great soccer specific crowd (at full capacity no less). Great visuals. Edmonton could be overflow footage.

Captain
06-13-2018, 03:39 PM
The proposal for BMO to bring the stadium to 45,000 was only based on added seating to the south stands including filling in the corners. It did not include any additional seating on the north side of the stadium. If they do add to the north the capacity could be higher I would think.

Kaz
06-13-2018, 04:19 PM
It be great if they used this as an Excuse to rebuild Lamport as a 18k stadium for the Wolfpack move the Argos there, and put a permanent north end stand with a mezzanine that can be used as support of temp seating, tear down the south and rebuild it as safe standing with permanent boxes taking permanent seating to 34k. Then put in 10.5k of Temp seating on the North and South. To do that the South Roof would have to be removed I suspect. (or raised at least)

ensco
06-13-2018, 05:19 PM
The bid book is now something for wrapping dead fish in. They have to play games in Canada, that’s the only sure thing.

Follow the money. Why would FIFA accept any stadium at 40K if they can replace it with a stadium seating 80K?

I think FIFA will say to John Tory - Expand to 60K or we go to Montreal only. I would say the same about El Volcan, it has a high probability of getting dropped.

Richard
06-13-2018, 05:20 PM
If your not going to have a game in Toronto then what's the point? Not sound like a self centrerd Torontonian, but you might as well not have it in Canada at all.

ensco
06-13-2018, 05:33 PM
If your not going to have a game in Toronto then what's the point? Not sound like a self centrerd Torontonian, but you might as well not have it in Canada at all.

This is FIFA’s game. They use their leverage to force people to build big stadiums. It’s their core business model. It’s not corrupt either.

Redcoe15
06-13-2018, 06:08 PM
Good luck getting money to expand the stadium that size for Toronto. You think someone like Doug Ford is just going to hand over a blank check for such a project? (unless the possibility exist of putting an NFL team there, which would give him a hard on for sure)

Well, stadium size aside, I'm just looking forward to see Canada play in another World Cup.

ensco
06-13-2018, 06:37 PM
Good luck getting money to expand the stadium that size for Toronto. You think someone like Doug Ford is just going to hand over a blank check for such a project? (unless the possibility exist of putting an NFL team there, which would give him a hard on for sure)k

Well, stadium size aside, I'm just looking forward to see Canada play in another World Cup.

Ding ding ding.

I predict the over under of serious linkage of the World Cup to an NFL team coming here is about 30 days.

FIFA and the NFL play the same game.

OgtheDim
06-13-2018, 07:14 PM
There will be 10 games in Canada & 10 in Mexico - guaranteed. A lot of the votes they got today was to give places like Oceania & in Europe the chance to support a multi-country World Cup.

In Canada, only 3 cities have put in for games - Vancouver might change their mind but our position in the Eastern time zone is a bonus.

As for expansion - there's money in the World Cup to be made - the feds & the province will put in the money.

As for the NFL - having read the behind the scenes of the owners meeting getting the LA Raiders & Rams together - there is no freaking way anybody in Canada is getting a team.

Heepster
06-13-2018, 07:39 PM
Right now Concacaf has 3 spots out of the 32 spots in the world cup. The latest proposal I heard is that with 48 teams concacaf would have 6 spots. With this change I don't see any reason why Canada, the US and Mexico would not get automatic spots in 2026. It still leaves the same 3 spots we currently have for other concacaf teams to get. And they would not be fighting Mexico and the US for the 3 spots. (plus there is a potential for a 7th spot through a play in game).
...Qualification: up to Concacaf. There is NO WAY we will get in automatically...With our lowly world rankings in recent years, it's difficult to argue that Canada would deserve to automatically be there on merit. Why would all those other CONCACAF nations be happy to let Canada undeservedly get into the tournament automatically and reduce the number of available CONCACAF qualifiers by one?
There is no precedent for a World Cup hosted by three nations. As I asked on the V's board, what if, many years down the road, there was a united bid to host from a group of five Caribbean or Central American nations? Do you think Canada would like the idea of allowing all of them to get in automatically?
Maybe automatic qualification for host nations could involve being required to be at some minimal level in FIFA rankings.

Wagner
06-13-2018, 07:48 PM

I kind of doubt it.
if someone is paying like $500 CDN for a ticket...they'll probably want somewhere to place their bum.

fergiejr
06-14-2018, 07:12 AM
With our lowly world rankings in recent years, it's difficult to argue that Canada would deserve to automatically be there on merit. Why would all those other CONCACAF nations be happy to let Canada undeservedly get into the tournament automatically and reduce the number of available CONCACAF qualifiers by one?
There is no precedent for a World Cup hosted by three nations. As I asked on the V's board, what if, many years down the road, there was a united bid to host from a group of five Caribbean or Central American nations? Do you think Canada would like the idea of allowing all of them to get in automatically?
Maybe automatic qualification for host nations could involve being required to be at some minimal level in FIFA rankings.

If Canada has to qualify, then US and Mexico should also have to qualify.

If what we have seen is true, and Concacaf is going from 3.5 spots to 6.5 in 2026, it's really a wash for the other nations - and with Mexico out of the running it actually opens another spot for one of the others.

Ultimately, we await our fate as Fifa has to decide what it wants to do. This is going to be a long 8 years...

burlington Red
06-14-2018, 08:01 AM
With our lowly world rankings in recent years, it's difficult to argue that Canada would deserve to automatically be there on merit. Why would all those other CONCACAF nations be happy to let Canada undeservedly get into the tournament automatically and reduce the number of available CONCACAF qualifiers by one?

Japan and South Korea jointly hosted the 2002. That was a 32 team world cup and both host nations received automatic qualification, although both those nations in recent yrs tend to qualify anyway. 2026 will be a 48 team world cup, so it will be diluted quality wise. Euro 2020 is being held in 12 different cities across europe with no automatic qualification for the countries staging it. Re merit, good point as teams like Qatar will get automatic qualification for 2022 world cup. Typically in the past, the nations holding world cups tend to qualify, maybe south africa in 2010 being the exception. Maybe something to be looked at...

cmonyoureds
06-14-2018, 08:10 AM
The bid book is now something for wrapping dead fish in. They have to play games in Canada, that’s the only sure thing.

Follow the money. Why would FIFA accept any stadium at 40K if they can replace it with a stadium seating 80K?

I think FIFA will say to John Tory - Expand to 60K or we go to Montreal only. I would say the same about El Volcan, it has a high probability of getting dropped.

This ^^^^

C'mon people, it's FIFA. Some comments here reflect the thinking that FIFA is trying to grow the game and promote the sport.
Nope. Job #1 is MONEY
At this point I'd look for Montreal and Edmonton to be the front runners for the games. Toronto at 40k might get 1 early round game.
Montreal will come up with Fed money to throw in a grass surface and renovate the stadium. It'll be part of an election campaign to garner the QC votes.

Oldtimer
06-14-2018, 08:49 AM

It's easy. There are always games that won't get much of a following and won't need large stadiums.

Togo vs Myanmar probably wouldn't bring in the masses.

Not every stadium needs to be 80k.

pfk
06-14-2018, 09:16 AM
This ^^^^

C'mon people, it's FIFA. Some comments here reflect the thinking that FIFA is trying to grow the game and promote the sport.
Nope. Job #1 is MONEY
At this point I'd look for Montreal and Edmonton to be the front runners for the games. Toronto at 40k might get 1 early round game.
Montreal will come up with Fed money to throw in a grass surface and renovate the stadium. It'll be part of an election campaign to garner the QC votes.

The Quebec government is putting $200 million towards another retractable roof for the Big Owe (which will be 50 years old by 2026). More money will come from the city and feds.
http://montrealgazette.com/sports/soccer/olympic-stadium-will-have-a-retractable-roof-in-time-for-2026-world-cup

reggie
06-14-2018, 09:30 AM
looks like LA ,TOR ,MEX CITY will get the opening game??

Ponderosa
06-14-2018, 10:07 AM
The Quebec government is putting $200 million towards another retractable roof for the Big Owe (which will be 50 years old by 2026). More money will come from the city and feds.
http://montrealgazette.com/sports/soccer/olympic-stadium-will-have-a-retractable-roof-in-time-for-2026-world-cup

There is a wicked wicked part of me that almost hopes a Canada match gets played in the big O- simply for the satisfaction of seeing Montreal supporters in RED! :stogey:

OgtheDim
06-14-2018, 11:08 AM
People in here are thinking the older FIFA who's priority was getting the executive council tons of money. Those executive council guys have been stripped of most of their power. It all lies now with the mass of individual country associations who have been promised $ from Infantino - he's been quite open about the $ flowing to the associations instead of just to FIFA. Which is why you saw a huge swath of countries vote as Blocs for the "United" bid.

Today, CONMEBOL started the campaign for a joint Uruguay, Argentina, Paraguay bid. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uruguay%E2%80%93Argentina%E2%80%93Paraguay_2030_FI FA_World_Cup_bid

You think FIFA is going to screw with the joint bid approach when they know it makes them more money? Nah.....they might add Vancouver but even then Toronto gets at least 2 games out of 10.

Its a 48 team competition now too, so smaller stadia in the first round are OK.

Frankly, I think we can count on a North American hosted event every 24 years now. Who's up for 2050?

Kaz
06-14-2018, 11:10 AM
This is FIFA’s game. They use their leverage to force people to build big stadiums. It’s their core business model. It’s not corrupt either.

World Cup Venues

Kaliningrad Stadium 31,484 for 2018 World Cup
Central Stadium 35,000 for 2018 World Cup
Mordovia Arena 40,441 for 2018 World Cup
Nizhny Novgorod Stadium 41,042 for 2018 World Cup
Volgograd Arena 40,479 for 2018 World Cup
Rostov Arena 40,709 for 2018 World Cup
Kazan Arena 41,338 for 2018 World Cup
Cosmos Arena 40,882 for 2018 World Cup
Fisht Olympic Stadium 43,480 for 2018 World Cup
Otkritie Arena 41,465 for 2018 World Cup

Only two of Russia's Venues are over 45k in seating.

Khalifa International Stadium 40,000 for 2022 World Cup
Qatar Foundation Stadium 40,000 for 2022 World Cup
Ras Abu Aboud Stadium 40,000 for 2022 World Cup
Al Thumama Stadium 40,000 for 2022 World Cup
Al Wakrah Stadium 40,000 for 2022 World Cup
Ahmed Bin Ali Stadium 44,740 for 2022 World Cup

Only two of Qatar's Venues will be over 45k in seating.

I honestly don't think FIFA would care if we just said screw it we'll raise it to 36k only. There are so many large stadiums in the Bid FIFA is seeing dollar signs already they won't worry about the Venue size of BMO or the smaller Mexican Stadiums. If what you were concerned about were valid than I'm sure Russia wouldn't be allowed to be using 2 stadiums under 40k

Auzzy
06-14-2018, 11:46 AM

World Cup Venues

Kaliningrad Stadium 31,484 for 2018 World Cup
Central Stadium 35,000 for 2018 World Cup
Mordovia Arena 40,441 for 2018 World Cup
Nizhny Novgorod Stadium 41,042 for 2018 World Cup
Volgograd Arena 40,479 for 2018 World Cup
Rostov Arena 40,709 for 2018 World Cup
Kazan Arena 41,338 for 2018 World Cup
Cosmos Arena 40,882 for 2018 World Cup
Fisht Olympic Stadium 43,480 for 2018 World Cup
Otkritie Arena 41,465 for 2018 World Cup

Only two of Russia's Venues are over 45k in seating.

Khalifa International Stadium 40,000 for 2022 World Cup
Qatar Foundation Stadium 40,000 for 2022 World Cup
Ras Abu Aboud Stadium 40,000 for 2022 World Cup
Al Thumama Stadium 40,000 for 2022 World Cup
Al Wakrah Stadium 40,000 for 2022 World Cup
Ahmed Bin Ali Stadium 44,740 for 2022 World Cup

Only two of Qatar's Venues will be over 45k in seating.

I honestly don't think FIFA would care if we just said screw it we'll raise it to 36k only. There are so many large stadiums in the Bid FIFA is seeing dollar signs already they won't worry about the Venue size of BMO or the smaller Mexican Stadiums. If what you were concerned about were valid than I'm sure Russia wouldn't be allowed to be using 2 stadiums under 40k

Thanks Kaz, I was about to post something similar.

Here's a link with the 2018 WC stadium capacities: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2018_FIFA_World_Cup#Stadiums

Here's a link to the same for 2014: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2014_FIFA_World_Cup#Venues
In soccer-mad Brazil, 6 stadiums had capacities under 45k.

2010 South Africa similar. I realize that's a bit different, they shouldn't expect quite as much from a soccer development project like South Africa: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2010_FIFA_World_Cup#Venues

But how about 2006, in wealthy soccer-mad Germany? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2006_FIFA_World_Cup#Venues
Almost the same thing: 5 venues in the low-to mid 40k's.

There is a ton of precedent for having especially preliminary-round games in venues similar to the size that BMO Field will have, including temp seating. No-brainer for the largest city in Canada to be included, and the only one of three stadiums in Canada that's soccer-specific which has some benefits. We might get fewer games than Edmonton/Montreal and many US cities. We also might not get Canada games or other big draws, where FIFA will feel they can sell more tickets at a high demand & a high cost in Edmonton or Montreal. But I bet we will get some games in Toronto.

Sure there are lots of bigger stadiums in the NA united bid. However there are plenty of low-drawing games in the first rounds that might be risky in some huge stadiums in the US back country. They will probably still sell well, but how well? FIFA doesn't like seeing the empty seats and low sale/resale value that we have seen at some recent World Cup games.

pfk
06-14-2018, 12:58 PM
People in here are thinking the older FIFA who's priority was getting the executive council tons of money. Those executive council guys have been stripped of most of their power. It all lies now with the mass of individual country associations who have been promised $ from Infantino - he's been quite open about the $ flowing to the associations instead of just to FIFA. Which is why you saw a huge swath of countries vote as Blocs for the "United" bid.

Today, CONMEBOL started the campaign for a joint Uruguay, Argentina, Paraguay bid. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uruguay%E2%80%93Argentina%E2%80%93Paraguay_2030_FI FA_World_Cup_bid

You think FIFA is going to screw with the joint bid approach when they know it makes them more money? Nah.....they might add Vancouver but even then Toronto gets at least 2 games out of 10.

Its a 48 team competition now too, so smaller stadia in the first round are OK.

Frankly, I think we can count on a North American hosted event every 24 years now. Who's up for 2050?

Vancouver won't be getting the WC, unless there is a change in the provincial government, which won't happen until 2021. The BC NDP government have stood firm and again have confirmed that they won't support hosting the WC at BC Place (the stadium is provincially owned). The reasons were the risk of potential hidden costs and that FIFA could unilaterally change the stadium agreement.

https://www.ctvnews.ca/sports/b-c-stands-firm-in-decision-not-to-host-world-cup-2026-soccer-games-1.3972285

C.Ronaldo
06-14-2018, 01:02 PM
Ding ding ding.

I predict the over under of serious linkage of the World Cup to an NFL team coming here is about 30 days.

FIFA and the NFL play the same game.

to me its a perfect scenario

But i have my doubts about an NFL team without true tailgating

Areathrasher
06-14-2018, 01:14 PM

El Volcan was never in the bid.

Tigres crosstown rivals stadium is the choice for Monterrey.

http://www.multimedios.com/files/article_main/uploads/2017/07/12/5966e1f26710c.jpeg

OgtheDim
06-14-2018, 01:14 PM
I've maintained since the Vancouver decision was made that it was basically the execs of BC Place not being happy with the disruption. BC Place executives have their bonuses & salary increases based on revenue - with the stadium not being available for weeks before & after, they were looking at no growth in their personal income for a year. (ignoring the amount of money the province would get back in tax revenue).

Any thing else is just posturing to the political base.

Canary10
06-14-2018, 01:56 PM
I'm surprised at some of the conspiracy theories here. 100% Toronto is going to get games, there is no question about that. It would be beyond politically stupid for Toronto to be overlooked. Also 99.9% certain Canada will get an automatic berth. That is the real diamond in getting a World Cup played here. No way would the CSA have gone down this road for 10 games only. Now we have 8 years and focal point for building the game here.

Also, so incredibly stupid of Vancouver. This is as risk free a chance to host the biggest sporting event on earth as you get, way less risk than the Olympics they hosted. They were incredibly stupid there for pulling out and will no doubt regret it. Og may be right above about the real reasons.

Red4ever
06-14-2018, 02:53 PM
I'm surprised at some of the conspiracy theories here. 100% Toronto is going to get games, there is no question about that. It would be beyond politically stupid for Toronto to be overlooked. Also 99.9% certain Canada will get an automatic berth. That is the real diamond in getting a World Cup played here. No way would the CSA have gone down this road for 10 games only. Now we have 8 years and focal point for building the game here.

Also, so incredibly stupid of Vancouver. This is as risk free a chance to host the biggest sporting event on earth as you get, way less risk than the Olympics they hosted. They were incredibly stupid there for pulling out and will no doubt regret it. Og may be right above about the real reasons.

All this.

I will wager all of my possessions, and loved one's possessions... and loved ones for that matter that Toronto will host games.

TFC1986
06-14-2018, 03:36 PM
I think will see BMO (which I rather prefer not). Because they'll send up making more seats permanent.
Vancouver's BC place, and Montreal Olympic stadium.
Whoever plays in BC, there next matches will stay in the West end of the country. Plus they've hosted women soccer matches there before on the big stage.

ensco
06-14-2018, 04:02 PM
I don’t think you guys have been paying close attention. The Euro 2020 “no host” model was developed around this specific issue. Every single one of the seven games in England, for instance, is at Wembley.

We’ll see about the stadiums. The multi country model was brought in to get dramatically bigger average stadium sizes (before anyone posts about Copenhagen being in Euro 2020, I know, but Europe doesn’t have 15 90K+ seat stadiums. The USA does.

Qatar. That was a long time ago, the bids were “voted” on in 2010. The USA 2022 bid was far superior financially to the Qatar bid, for exactly this reason. Qatar winning was evidence only that FIFA was crooked, not that FIFA accepts less money when given an open choice.

The money goes to the federations. Most get ALL their funding from the World Cup. Those federations were the real victims, they got totally ripped off when corrupt Fifacrats voted for inferior bids, and they won’t be in much of a mood for sentimentality now. If sentiment mattered, Morocco would have won the 2026 vote in a landslide, or nobody would have won, and they would have reopened for European/Asian bids.

Kaz
06-14-2018, 06:57 PM
you are stretching. This isn't the Euro's

Soccer is a secondary sport here no one is going to care if one or two stadiums are smaller. We are going to the point of adding in a load of temp seats.

Fifa would lose all credibility if they were trying to widen the competition which will require more venues and then the first time it happens they start demanding 60k stadiums.

It would literally make the 2026 cup the last as we know it. Fifa wouldn't be able to get anyone to bid.

ensco
06-14-2018, 07:32 PM
^Like I said earlier, they are talking about solving for this by creating a new 2025 “play in” tourney, in place of the Confederations Cup, and giving those games to USA/Canada/Mexico cities that don’t make the “final”.

I also expect that'll be how our spot works (ie we're automatically in the play in)

burlington Red
06-15-2018, 09:56 AM
all this talk re stadium size, this morning's game Uruguay v Egypt, had 27,015 in attendance at the 35,000-capacity Ekaterinburg Arena

ensco
06-15-2018, 10:27 AM
all this talk re stadium size, this morning's game Uruguay v Egypt, had 27,015 in attendance at the 35,000-capacity Ekaterinburg Arena

Again. To repeat: Russia and Qatar are evidence of the problem. Those votes were criminal frauds.

This tournament would have otherwise been in England but for the criminal acceptance of bribes by FIFA officials - no way attendance would be less than 50K for that game in England. Probably 80K in a big enough stadium, given the popularity of Salah (the tickets went on sale months before he got hurt).

Every federation looks at these attendance figures and thinks about that - guaranteed.

troy1982
06-15-2018, 02:37 PM

I like the suggested structure of 16 groups of 3 with the top two teams in each group moving on to one game elimination rounds. The tournament would take the same length of time.

Apparently, the video reel that was played for the United Bid heavily featured BMO when referencing Canada. How can Toronto not end up getting at least a couple of the 10 games to be played in Canada?

CONCACAF has 3.5 spots right now

reggie
06-15-2018, 03:22 PM
43k for the SPAIN VS RONALDO game oh boy toronto not going to get any games ...paranoia on this site lol

ensco
06-15-2018, 05:23 PM
When you see a Uruguay-Egypt game that drew 27K or a Spain-Portugal game that drew 43K: that's 50,000 tickets less than they could have sold at a big venue in the USA (or England or similar).

Let's say the average is 25,000 more a game in bigger stadiums (not every game is as attractive as those two)....

Call it $200 a ticket, that's $5M a game. There are 64 games (there will be 80 games in 2026). All the later stage games will be in big venues, so say 40 of those games are candidates for decisions, where you have a choice between a big or small venue.

That's $200 million. You may not think they should care about that, they get billions from TV, but I think they will care. This World Cup bid was all about max dollars everywhere, on every front.

Of course Toronto may get games. Someone up here has to, and the difference between the Big O or Edmonton and an expanded BMO is only 15,000-20,000 seats. So the cost is only, call it, $2.5M a game at BMO. But it's not certain that we will, and I think it's more uncertain than people think.

If I am John Tory, I'd rather find a way to somehow cut a check to FIFA for $10M for 4 games, than do something stupid on the stadium front.

It's not like anyone is going to rise up at the injustice if Canada gets cut back, or if Toronto is somehow left out. Quite the contrary, we are rather vulnerable...
https://globalnews.ca/news/4274994/maradona-2026-world-cup-hosts-criticism/

OgtheDim
06-15-2018, 05:38 PM
Ur reaching if you are using Maradona.

Richard
06-15-2018, 05:50 PM
Maradona is a washed up ex player/coach and coke head. He spews nothing but pure drivel. Next.

ensco
06-15-2018, 06:10 PM
The point stands, whether Maradona is influential or representative doesn’t really matter. A lot of people think the same thing.

As a for instance, England are pretty bitter about this - the idea that England hasn’t hosted in 60 years, but North America gets it for the 4th time since, has them upset

Anyway I will drop this soon - nobody wants to hear it - it'll be what it'll be. It's backroom stuff we won’t have visibility on.

James17930
06-15-2018, 07:05 PM
Maradona is a washed up ex player/coach and coke head. He spews nothing but pure drivel. Next.

No kidding ... every single quote in that article is nonsense.

SoccMan2
06-15-2018, 08:32 PM
Ok I can’t believe no one has brought this up , but I think BMO does not get expanded instead a new 80000 seat stadium gets built and is used for an NFL expansion team after the 2026 World Cup, what a perfect opportunity to build a stadium for the NFL now that we are getting the 2026 World Cup. MLSE bought the Argos for a reason to show that they were saving the Toronto CFL team which in the end gives them an in on an NFL team, this is not over watch for a revamped Toronto 2026 stadium resolution coming soon.

wopchop
06-15-2018, 08:45 PM
And who will own this NFL team?

MLSE is ineligible under the NFL's ownership rules.

Hamilton_Red
06-15-2018, 08:56 PM
The only possible games in Toronto will minnow teams like New Zealand and say Senegal...where a 45k stadium would make sense. They can't play any decent match ups in a tiny stadium.

reggie
06-15-2018, 09:19 PM
like the minnow game today between spain and port they had 43k.the rumour is that tor,la mex city will get the opening games all on the same day,canada most likely will play in that game in toronto

portu
06-15-2018, 09:24 PM
The only possible games in Toronto will minnow teams like New Zealand and say Senegal...where a 45k stadium would make sense. They can't play any decent match ups in a tiny stadium.

Stadiums are set prior to the group stage draw. Matches are not put in stadiums because they are expected to draw smaller crowds.

NK Toronto
06-15-2018, 09:45 PM
The one thing that no one has mentioned is the size and wealth of the Toronto market compared to Montreal and Edmonton. The fact of the matter is that Toronto is the largest and wealthiest market in Canada, as well as the financial and media capital with the most corporate head offices and the potential for corporate sponsorship. The reason Toronto is the only city in Canada to have both an NBA and MLB team is it is the only city which can support these teams. Montreal didn't support the Expos which is why they left town, and the support for the Impact is poor compared to the crowds TFC gets. You could charge triple the ticket prices for World Cup games in Toronto and still sell more seats (and generate more revenue) than in Montreal. The corporate sponsorship for stadium suite sales is in Toronto, not Montreal. Toronto is now the 4th largest city in North America, behind only Mexico City, New York and LA, and the GTA will continue to exhibit significant population growth given that Canada accepts approx 249,000 immigrants per year. Toronto has the population base, the fan base, and the corporate base. There is absolutely no way that World Cup games won't be held in Toronto.

glaze
06-15-2018, 10:48 PM
I think we'll see a teardown and rebuild of the west stand. Then of course 2 huge temp grandstand in each end.
There will be a total security lockdown of the CNE grounds, so they can go as far back as the food building.
Thing is, BMO needs a major overhaul for a world event. We have next to no luxury boxes, even the press box is tiny.
Look at our stadium compared to the NFL facilities in Dallas, NYC (Jersey lol), new ones in LA, maybe even Vegas!
BMO is perfect for TFC and the MLS, but as of today any of the Canadian facilities look minor league compared to the NFL options.
I can only imagine the overhaul the Big O will require.

InDa_110
06-15-2018, 11:34 PM
When you see a Uruguay-Egypt game that drew 27K or a Spain-Portugal game that drew 43K: that's 50,000 tickets less than they could have sold at a big venue in the USA (or England or similar).

Let's say the average is 25,000 more a game in bigger stadiums (not every game is as attractive as those two)....

Call it $200 a ticket, that's $5M a game. There are 64 games (there will be 80 games in 2026). All the later stage games will be in big venues, so say 40 of those games are candidates for decisions, where you have a choice between a big or small venue.

That's $200 million. You may not think they should care about that, they get billions from TV, but I think they will care. This World Cup bid was all about max dollars everywhere, on every front.

Of course Toronto may get games. Someone up here has to, and the difference between the Big O or Edmonton and an expanded BMO is only 15,000-20,000 seats. So the cost is only, call it, $2.5M a game at BMO. But it's not certain that we will, and I think it's more uncertain than people think.

If I am John Tory, I'd rather find a way to somehow cut a check to FIFA for $10M for 4 games, than do something stupid on the stadium front.

It's not like anyone is going to rise up at the injustice if Canada gets cut back, or if Toronto is somehow left out. Quite the contrary, we are rather vulnerable...
https://globalnews.ca/news/4274994/maradona-2026-world-cup-hosts-criticism/

The Spain vs Ronaldo game was not a sellout. So said the commentators from England who do the game on radio for 1050AM. You assumed the 50k extra tickets would be sold, when today's smaller venue did not, and everone would consider that game today a premium group stage game..
What's to say it sells 85k tickets in an American Stadium?
On another point, you could have that game today at BMO charge $1000 for the cheapest tickets and every Da Silva, Silva, D'Souza and Almeida friend I have would have taken out lines of credit if need be to have been there.
I think it comes down to the teams playing, and what city paticular teams are playing in that will need to be the strategic decision. Ultimately I think Toronto is a safe bet for almost all 48 teams because people will want to go to a World Cuo game to say they went at least once, assuming it is priced a bit lower for Morocco vs Vietnam let's say.
Portugal, Italy, Germany, England, Canada plays in Toronto you can charge $1,000 to $5,000 plus and easliy sell out in minutes.

Hamilton_Red
06-16-2018, 11:09 AM
The one thing that no one has mentioned is the size and wealth of the Toronto market compared to Montreal and Edmonton. The fact of the matter is that Toronto is the largest and wealthiest market in Canada, as well as the financial and media capital with the most corporate head offices and the potential for corporate sponsorship. The reason Toronto is the only city in Canada to have both an NBA and MLB team is it is the only city which can support these teams. Montreal didn't support the Expos which is why they left town, and the support for the Impact is poor compared to the crowds TFC gets. You could charge triple the ticket prices for World Cup games in Toronto and still sell more seats (and generate more revenue) than in Montreal. The corporate sponsorship for stadium suite sales is in Toronto, not Montreal. Toronto is now the 4th largest city in North America, behind only Mexico City, New York and LA, and the GTA will continue to exhibit significant population growth given that Canada accepts approx 249,000 immigrants per year. Toronto has the population base, the fan base, and the corporate base. There is absolutely no way that World Cup games won't be held in Toronto.

If it is so big an wealthy then it should build a World Cup class stadium. If Toronto ever gets the Olympics it will be the 4th Canadian city to host it... Toronto's infrastructure is very poor and showing no signs of being rectified with the DF era about to unfold. If a Canadian city is dropped it will be Toronto. Montreal and Edmonton will have no trouble filling the games - having a French speaking host city will be very attractive. Corporate sponsors are a Global level with FIFA - companies in host cities don't matter. Also remember that this is a US hosted event with a few game outsourced to the poor weak neighbours.

Further to that the Canadian National team will want a home base...Edmonton is the better home base to get 75k Canadian fans out and not more away supporters.

06-16-2018, 11:46 AM
Are prices the same across the board or will it vary per city? If they vary, Toronto can charge a lot more tickets for than either MON/EDM. Even with a smaller stadium, TOR still would generate more revenue on a per game basis than either of those 2 cities because they could charge a lot more for tickets.

ensco
06-16-2018, 12:04 PM
Are prices the same across the board or will it vary per city? If they vary, Toronto can charge a lot more tickets for than either MON/EDM. Even with a smaller stadium, TOR still would generate more revenue on a per game basis than either of those 2 cities because they could charge a lot more for tickets.

I think this is true, especially for Edmonton (I highly doubt games are going there either, fwiw)

I kind of tried to reflect that in the math by saying that the average attendance between BMO and a US marginal choice ( say, Denver) was 25K but I think it’s bigger.

Fort York Redcoat
06-16-2018, 02:04 PM
Ok I can’t believe no one has brought this up , but I think BMO does not get expanded instead a new 80000 seat stadium gets built and is used for an NFL expansion team after the 2026 World Cup, what a perfect opportunity to build a stadium for the NFL now that we are getting the 2026 World Cup. MLSE bought the Argos for a reason to show that they were saving the Toronto CFL team which in the end gives them an in on an NFL team, this is not over watch for a revamped Toronto 2026 stadium resolution coming soon.

Ya you're the first in this thread but this has been talked about for a couple years now.

Oldtimer
06-16-2018, 03:05 PM
I love the wild speculation going on since Bill Manning has already stated that they will be using temporary seat to increase capacity, not permanent seats (unless adding some more seating for part of it makes sense from a TFC perspective). That's it. No massive seat additions, no new stadium.

In addition to Manning stating that, it's what the FIFA bid book shows.

Improvements will be needed in some areas like the locker facilities, but that's it.

ensco
06-16-2018, 05:43 PM
An interesting rundown of the decision to come from Goff.

Goff seems to sorta kinda say Canada is getting cut from 3 to 2 cities, and stopping there. But he is coy about it. You have to back into it by doing the math he puts forward. He strongly sees all three Mexican stadiums as sure things.

Clustering matters, so Edmonton would almost certainly be odd man out. But Chicago and Vancouver could come back into the mix. The bid book isn’t scripture. Vancouver is probably still a threat to TO, maybe the threat. I wonder how many of the Asian FIFA plutocrats have condos in Vancouver.

The part about “clustering, but not too much clustering” is interesting, not sure what it means for Toronto. Does that mean we want Chicago back in? Sounds like they don’t want to overdo the northeast corridor, which both Toronto and Montreal are in. How badly do they want Seattle, and can they make Seattle work without Vancouver?

The part about Boston being in because of Kraft/Trump is not great. That stadium isn’t that big and has horrible access (there are 4 hour traffic jams in and out of Foxborough), I would have thought it might lose on the merits.

The altitude criteria is great. Go Guadalajara. Sorry Denver.

Overall I feel a little better about things based on this analysis. He has put into long shot status three big, beautiful, new stadiums.

There is definitely a power dynamic within the United bid, which he is discussing in calling all three Mexican stadiums automatic, and that dynamic is what worries me. But Goff is as wired as anyone, and he's not signalling that the US will try to roll more than one of the Canadian stadiums in favour of one of the marginal US ones like Orlando and Denver.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/soccer-insider/wp/2018/06/16/2026-world-cup-host-cities-ranking-the-contenders/?utm_term=.e7921242d5ca

Canary10
06-16-2018, 07:12 PM
^ Thanks for posting that article. The politics is very interesting. Looks like for sure Edmonton will be out. I’d be angry as fuck though if I lived in Edmonton and they got dropped and Vancouver added...

I still fee confident Toronto gets games and probably the majority of Canadian ones. Our multinational culture is too big a positive story not to play up. I think BMO is a bit of a problem though. Big decisions will have to be made about how to get it up to 45,000 capacity.

Canary10
06-16-2018, 08:01 PM
Here’s a thought based on no facts, just what I think would be cool:

Build a new 50,000 seat soccer specific stadium in the eastern Portlands off Cherry Street. Like a well thought out, architecturally forward stadium (like Red Bull Arena or Minnesota’s new ground, but bigger). TFC plays there full time after, Argos get BMO.

Location is perfect: you are at the confluence of the DVP and Gardiner. There will be a GO/Smart Track station 5-10 minutes walk away at Broadview and Eastern by 2021/22. Expedite the Relief Line and there will be two subway stations within walking distance too. Queens Quay east is already under big redevelopment plans. The Sidewalk Labs district is walking distance. The new Lever corporate development is walking distance.

Let’s do it!

Hamilton_Red
06-16-2018, 08:34 PM
The thing we are skipping over is Qatar 2022... this is still bound to be an epic shit show. It really could cause FIFA some big problems that have some consequences for 2026. I suppose it would be easy to have an emergency relocation to the UK or Germany. I also could also seeing Canada politically abandoning the cooperation with the US if Trump get's re-elected or something crazy like that. The US has Mexican children in detention camps at the border - separated from their parents, if that doesn't get fixed immediately there is going to be an escalating rift of epic proportions.

troy1982
06-16-2018, 10:37 PM

The World Cup schedule is done before the draw, so the draw determines both which groups the teams are in and which stadiums they play in.

TFC07
06-17-2018, 07:56 AM
Edmonton bid isn't in good shape because Alberta government say no to funding World cup (they trying to get 2026 Winter Olympics for Calgary) and FIFA officials stated Edmonton's airport doesn't reach FIFA requirements since there aren't many direct flights for fans coming from outside North America.

Edmonton is odd city out.

As for Toronto, only issue is stadium capacity which isn't biggest issue in the world. That can be fixed easily with some government funding. Good news is Toronto got political support from all levels in government.

Montreal needs to rebuild Olympic stadium which is going to cost about $500 million at least. Not sure Quebec government going to help cover the cost.

Areathrasher
06-17-2018, 06:11 PM
Edmonton bid isn't in good shape because Alberta government say no to funding World cup (they trying to get 2026 Winter Olympics for Calgary) and FIFA officials stated Edmonton's airport doesn't reach FIFA requirements since there aren't many direct flights for fans coming from outside North America.

Edmonton is odd city out.

As for Toronto, only issue is stadium capacity which isn't biggest issue in the world. That can be fixed easily with some government funding. Good news is Toronto got political support from all levels in government.

Montreal needs to rebuild Olympic stadium which is going to cost about $500 million at least. Not sure Quebec government going to help cover the cost.

They already committed money before the bid was awarded.

In November, Quebec Premier Philippe Couillard announced the government would spend at least $200 million on a new roof for the Big O
“Before even giving our official candidacy of the city of Montreal (for the World Cup as part of the United 2026 bid) the (Olympic Installations Board) and the provincial government already said that they were going to invest the money in the retractable roof,” Filato said. “So it’s great news to hold the FIFA World Cup, but it’s already money that was going to be invested and I think that’s important. … We adopted an action plan to see how we can attract large sporting events as well. So it’s a great investment for this specific event and it’s a great investment in general.”

They've committed the money for the roof and there is an ongoing maintenance and renovation budget for it.

fergiejr
06-18-2018, 08:02 AM
Build a new 50,000 seat soccer specific stadium in the eastern Portlands off Cherry Street. Like a well thought out, architecturally forward stadium (like Red Bull Arena or Minnesota’s new ground, but bigger). TFC plays there full time after, Argos get BMO.

Location is perfect: you are at the confluence of the DVP and Gardiner. There will be a GO/Smart Track station 5-10 minutes walk away at Broadview and Eastern by 2021/22. Expedite the Relief Line and there will be two subway stations within walking distance too. Queens Quay east is already under big redevelopment plans. The Sidewalk Labs district is walking distance. The new Lever corporate development is walking distance.

Let’s do it!

Games would have to end by 10pm and everyone cleared out to abide by the noise bylaw for the Islands. No 8PM start times, would have to start earlier. Also, no one really knows what's happening with the GO/SmartTrack program now that Doug Ford is in. Also, I work in that area, it's a shithole. Air quality is poor with the Ashbridges Bay treatment plant nearby and all the concrete/aggrate companies throwing dust in the air (I have a layer of dust on my car after 8 hour workday) Would take 8 years of improvements just to get it up to snuff - no doubt those changes would be good for Toronto though - improving the waterfront.

BelfastBoy
06-18-2018, 08:33 AM
Saskatchewan and Winnipeg actually have the best, newest stadiums to host a WC match. Then probably BC place. Even Tim Hortons Field has better seating than BMO in the upper tiers.

Kaz
06-18-2018, 12:23 PM
Saskatchewan and Winnipeg actually have the best, newest stadiums to host a WC match. Then probably BC place. Even Tim Hortons Field has better seating than BMO in the upper tiers.

They must have amazing seating then because I enjoy sitting in the up tiers minus the north and south ends of the west stands. I almost exclusively buy seats up there now.

BelfastBoy
06-18-2018, 01:31 PM
They must have amazing seating then because I enjoy sitting in the up tiers minus the north and south ends of the west stands. I almost exclusively buy seats up there now.

The seats at THF are all the fold-down proper seats. Whereas at BMO those seats are only in the lower east and west stands and the upper levels are the cheaper plastic seats - same as the south end.

The view is fine. Just need to have the seats upgraded.

paul-collins
06-18-2018, 01:34 PM
That's not entirely true; east side from 206 to 209 also have the fold down seats.

I'm in 205 and I actually prefer the fixed seat. I find it's a little more spacious than the fold down ones in 206. YMMV.

BelfastBoy
06-18-2018, 02:24 PM
That's not entirely true; east side from 206 to 209 also have the fold down seats.

I'm in 205 and I actually prefer the fixed seat. I find it's a little more spacious than the fold down ones in 206. YMMV.

I prefer no seat - standing room only!

BritSOL
06-18-2018, 06:05 PM

I'm in 205 and my seat is a fold down one (row 3)

Blkndkr
06-18-2018, 06:09 PM
Fold down in 224 as well.

Globetrotter
06-18-2018, 07:41 PM
Maybe it's already been posted and I missed it, but couldn't Skydome be an obvious if BMO just can't support? It's 45K+ ready as is. Throw down some grass as you would in MTL and VAN.

Also, has the idea been raised of a brand new stadium, which upon games completion, would be the new ballpark for the Blue Jays after a little readjusting of the seats? Atlanta got 20 years out of their stadium post Olympics.

molenshtain
06-18-2018, 08:30 PM
Maybe it's already been posted and I missed it, but couldn't Skydome be an obvious if BMO just can't support? It's 45K+ ready as is. Throw down some grass as you would in MTL and VAN.

Also, has the idea been raised of a brand new stadium, which upon games completion, would be the new ballpark for the Blue Jays after a little readjusting of the seats? Atlanta got 20 years out of their stadium post Olympics.

for all intents and purposes it's an impossibility for this tournament. The list of requirements and standards FifA has for world cup stadiums is insanely specific and not very adaptable. They would have to remodel the stadium to do it.

Fort York Redcoat
06-19-2018, 08:53 AM
Watching the road to Russia has been inspiring in that there is all but one stadium that will be "repurposed" but only for footy. All those amazing builds will be shrunk a bit for local sides.

On the flip side- almost every stadium in 2 out of the 3 United bid countries have multi purpose aspects already. Shame.

troy1982
06-24-2018, 10:05 AM
On a side note, BMO Field currently would be the tied with the 14th largest stadium in the EPL at 45K it would be the 8th largest

SoccMan2
06-24-2018, 10:59 AM
Watching the Japan Senegal game this stadium from the inside looks like what BMO Field could look like if a proper expansion is done by enclosing the open areas where there are no stands now, kind of has that BMO Field look about it from the inside.

Red4ever
06-25-2018, 08:53 AM
I would love to see them do a number on the south and and connect the corner between 112 and 111. Then build up a second deck, or conversely, make it one big level. maybe then the roof could be proper and connected .

It would also give them an excuse to move people around to solve the supporter disconnect.

It's nice we keep getting the chance at upgrades.

ensco
06-26-2018, 06:39 AM
Saw something online that is pretty interesting- FIFA has a format problem. There is pretty much no way of organizing 3 team groups that won’t create huge potential for “El Anschluss” problems...

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2010/jun/13/1982-world-cup-algeria
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disgrace_of_Gij%C3%B3n

flatpicker
06-26-2018, 07:46 AM
A bit of a side topic:

Has the CSA made any announcement about the sort of commitments they are making to improve the budget, coaching staff, player quality, etc., of the team so as not to be completely embarrassed on home soil? Getting BMO up to 45k seats is great and all, but it could just mean more Canadian fans have the chance to see their country get smoked 6-1 like Panama did the other day.

Joe Kool
06-26-2018, 08:52 AM
A bit of a side topic:

Has the CSA made any announcement about the sort of commitments they are making to improve the budget, coaching staff, player quality, etc., of the team so as not to be completely embarrassed on home soil? Getting BMO up to 45k seats is great and all, but it could just mean more Canadian fans have the chance to see their country get smoked 6-1 like Panama did the other day.

My son told me the other day he will be old enough to play for Canada by then so they will be fine. LOL

OgtheDim
06-26-2018, 08:55 AM
Alphonso Davies & hope

Sooner he gets out of Vancouver, the better.

TFC Tifoso
06-26-2018, 09:20 AM
A bit of a side topic:

great point! CSA needs to make an "Own The Podium" soccer style commitment.....plenty of time to do this.....

ensco
07-02-2018, 08:27 PM
I got interested in why so many great players come from Paris (it's amazing, Parisians are the core of about 10 African teams, plus of course France). I thought there might be a lesson for Canada in that. We need the 2026 tournament to be a catalyst for something. Toronto has banlieus too, after all. We are producing basketball players like crazy.

But after doing some reading.. I don't know. It's probably too late for us for 2026. Also we are just too wealthy a society.

One thing that really got my attention: there is a documentary on Netflix, Concrete Football, that is a must watch for anyone who wants to understand the reality of large swaths of youth soccer in Europe.

In North America, we are hung up on youth sports defined a certain way. In the rest of the world, the whole idea of youth soccer is different. Think shinny or road hockey 40 years ago, but on a whole other level...

https://www.fastcompany.com/40469632/nike-and-ad-agency-produce-new-documentary-on-paris-street-football-scene

Richard
07-06-2018, 10:24 PM
I got interested in why so many great players come from Paris (it's amazing, Parisians are the core of about 10 African teams, plus of course France). I thought there might be a lesson for Canada in that. We need the 2026 tournament to be a catalyst for something. Toronto has banlieus too, after all. We are producing basketball players like crazy.

But after doing some reading.. I don't know. It's probably too late for us for 2026. Also we are just too wealthy a society.

One thing that really got my attention: there is a documentary on Netflix, Concrete Football, that is a must watch for anyone who wants to understand the reality of large swaths of youth soccer in Europe.

In North America, we are hung up on youth sports defined a certain way. In the rest of the world, the whole idea of youth soccer is different. Think shinny or road hockey 40 years ago, but on a whole other level...

https://www.fastcompany.com/40469632/nike-and-ad-agency-produce-new-documentary-on-paris-street-football-scene

Yeah a lot of the greatest Brazilian players ever came out of the slums playing street football.

paul-collins
07-07-2018, 11:17 AM
Canada's approach to sports in a nutshell

http://www.durhamradionews.com/wp-content/uploads/No-ball-hockey-sign-1024x504.jpg