PDA

View Full Version : Match Day 13 - TFC @ Philly Friday 8 June 8pm - Every day something strange

OgtheDim
06-04-2018, 10:23 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQiR-rn5WEE

Every day something strange
I can't explain happens to me
Often I am called by name
To clean up aisle 13

Have at It People

pfk
06-04-2018, 11:03 AM
Philly were garbage against TFC on May 4, and the good guys won 3-0. Let's hope we can get 3 points!

I think both Bedoya or Medunjanin may be suspended with red cards from the game against Atlanta.

BelfastBoy
06-04-2018, 03:39 PM
I'd like 6 points from the next two games.

Super
06-04-2018, 03:57 PM
We better get Bradley away from the CB position then.

ScarboroughRed
06-05-2018, 07:02 AM
We are exactly 8 points behind 6th place Orlando with a game in hand on them. Also have games in hand over Philly, Chicago and Montreal.

If the team can just get over this first hump In this Friday game and get some momentum, we can come home, beat DC and gather 6 points. Get 10 days off and hope to get everyone minus Altidore and Moor back for the beginning of the summer run.

Those teams I've listed, other than I think Orlando, have absolutely nothing on Toronto. New England also in 5th and they don't match up with us either.

Won't be easy but we have what it takes to make up all the way up to 5th, maybe even a bit higher. :scarf:

Voodooman
06-05-2018, 07:49 AM
As said before, Philly will be missing 2 key players and we were all over them at home with lots of pieces missing.

If there is a game to get us back on track, this one is it! I have a good feeling.

Maybe we will get to see Hernandez and Hagglund start in the back.

Captain
06-05-2018, 08:01 AM
Philly have been playing really well lately and we have not been. They lost there last game but that was with only 9 players on the field. Unless we starting getting some of our starting defenders back I fear it will be more of the same.

At this point I'd rather see Liam Fraser step in at defence and put Bradley back in his defensive mid spot. We have to do something different.

OgtheDim
06-05-2018, 11:18 AM
https://twitter.com/JohnMolinaro/status/1004029341393563649

Derko
06-05-2018, 11:34 AM
I don't want to see Bradley anywhere near central defense, and I would rather see Hasler than Delgado of late on the pitch, last game when Delgado was subbed in It looked like TFC were playing backwards ffs

Defoe
06-06-2018, 11:06 AM
https://twitter.com/JohnMolinaro/status/1004029341393563649

Good to see guys coming back.

------Aketxe-Giovinco
Osorio-Victor-Bradley-Hasler
Morrow-VDW-Zavaleta-Auro Jr.

FootBallAZ
06-06-2018, 04:21 PM
Season has been weird to say the least. Always wanted to vent after loses. But for some reason have confidence and faith still. Not as strong as it was earlier but enough to focus on July 1st onwards

Looking forward to a statement game

OgtheDim
06-07-2018, 11:47 AM
Bedoya confirmed out

https://twitter.com/thegoalkeeper/status/1004764368502960129

shwade
06-07-2018, 12:31 PM
Season has been weird to say the least. Always wanted to vent after loses. But for some reason have confidence and faith still. Not as strong as it was earlier but enough to focus on July 1st onwards

Looking forward to a statement game

This is how I feel. A weird season for sure...the extreme high of the CCL is keeping us hoping that the boys will turn it up and get into the Playoffs.
We went all in for CCL and fatigue/injuries took their toll. I feel like the quality of football is still there most of the time but it's just hard to forge chemistry with rotating players from the B squad.

I hope we see a time this season where we have a full strength XI. I haven't lost an ounce of confidence in our starting XI...(Ok maybe a bit Bono).

Graeme
06-08-2018, 07:47 AM
Hopefully we see something like this:

----------------------------Bono---------------------------
--Auro---VDW-----Hagglund--Hernandez---------Tefler------
--------Fraser------Bradley-------Osorio------
-------------Vazquez----Giovinco-------------------------

With Zavaleta, Hasler and maybe Morrow getting some game time. I see Akinola made the bench last game--would also be good to see what he has to offer! And Chappie has played well recently too...

In fact, maybe this would be better:

--VDW---------Hagglund--Hernandez-----Auro-------
---Chapman-----Fraser------Bradley-------Osorio--------

C.Ronaldo
06-08-2018, 08:52 AM
Hopefully we see something like this:

--Auro---VDW-----Hagglund--Hernandez---------Tefler------
--------Fraser------Bradley-------Osorio------

With Zavaleta, Hasler and maybe Morrow getting some game time. I see Akinola made the bench last game--would also be good to see what he has to offer! And Chappie has played well recently too...

In fact, maybe this would be better:

--VDW---------Hagglund--Hernandez-----Auro-------
---Chapman-----Fraser------Bradley-------Osorio--------

staple delgado to the bench?

OgtheDim
06-08-2018, 09:01 AM
Philly lives by the banger Sapong. I'm pretty sure Hagglund starts with Zavaletta ready to come in if need be. Accam has had one goal this year, which he got in the US Open Cup on Tuesday; they havn't been playing him but they might given the midfield red cards. If so, Auro zipping down that wing would be a good thing.

I'm looing for Vasquez to have a good night sitting in the hole in front of a weak back 4.

ag futbol
06-08-2018, 10:16 AM
Kind of starting to like these Friday night games. Much easier to catch on TV than the Saturday ones with everything else that happens during the week.

Fort York Redcoat
06-08-2018, 11:34 AM
So I'll take the other tack and hope for all 3 points to get into form for the Vcup.

OgtheDim
06-08-2018, 03:08 PM
Be warned

Philadelphia Union v Toronto FC
Talen Energy Stadium (8PM ET)
REF: BALDOMERO TOLEDO
AR1: EDUARDO MARISCAL
AR2: BRIAN DUNN
4TH: MARCOS DEOLIVEIRA
VAR: JORGE GONZALEZ

Joe Kool
06-08-2018, 03:43 PM
Be warned

So chances of plentiful yellow and red cards is there as Toledo becomes the main attraction....we have been Toledo'd before.

pfk
06-08-2018, 03:43 PM
Be warned

Toledo. Oh crap.

portu
06-08-2018, 05:28 PM
2-1 loss. Giovinco scores. Vanney poor tactically again.

OgtheDim
06-08-2018, 06:10 PM
https://twitter.com/torontofc/status/1005222979834470400

Bradley back in the midfield. Looks like 4-4-2 but Hasler in theory could be a WB.

OgtheDim
06-08-2018, 06:13 PM
https://twitter.com/PhilaUnion/status/1005224677118181379

Nice to see Warren Creavalle is still getting a pay cheque.

Amir.
06-08-2018, 06:13 PM
Philadelphia doesn't live by Sapong. He's good but Dockal, Picault, Burke and Ilsinho have more points than him in the last four league matches. Will be interesting to see how good they are centrally without Bedoya and Medunjanin

OgtheDim
06-08-2018, 06:22 PM
To clarify, I think the Union go well when Sapong is banging and the target man to lay off. Agree on Ilsinho - him in the middle will be interesting as he doesn't do defence much. I think there's going to be space in front of their back line.

ag futbol
06-08-2018, 07:13 PM
On field advertising? Give that two giant thumbs down.

ensco
06-08-2018, 07:26 PM
Wow, do we look shaky on the counter.

OgtheDim
06-08-2018, 07:28 PM
Bradley give away...ugh.

He's playing really deep & there is nobody to link up to in front of him.

portu
06-08-2018, 07:28 PM
So many clumsy players like Creavalle in this league it’s amazing there aren’t more injuries

portu
06-08-2018, 07:31 PM
Oso is on 200k rn in a contract year btw

ag futbol
06-08-2018, 07:31 PM
Wow, do we look shaky on the counter.
We do, but osorio found his finishing boots!

ensco
06-08-2018, 07:32 PM
Vintage Vazquez there, what a ball

ag futbol
06-08-2018, 07:34 PM
About time Crevalle helped TFC.

Team speed when defending is becoming real concerning. Massive amounts of space not being covered fast enough.

OgtheDim
06-08-2018, 07:36 PM
Hagglund looks like he is limping & going at 3/4 speed.

SoccMan2
06-08-2018, 07:36 PM
Defending sucks just a matter of time before Philadelphia score.

ag futbol
06-08-2018, 07:37 PM
Love Hassler but we are hanging him out to dry and LB

Hamilton_Red
06-08-2018, 07:37 PM
Stil very shaky at the back. Hagglund looks 65% fit...Hernandez isn’t even close...Hasler isn’t a left back. Still deep in the shit for defense.

Super
06-08-2018, 07:38 PM
Anyone with a working feed?

OgtheDim
06-08-2018, 07:43 PM
http://nowwatchtvlive.org/tsn4-live-stream-watch-tsn4-channel-online-free/

OgtheDim
06-08-2018, 07:50 PM
Chapman brain farts tonight.

ag futbol
06-08-2018, 07:51 PM
We look like a Central American concacaf team. Decent attack, awful in defence

OgtheDim
06-08-2018, 07:55 PM
Vanney switched Hasler out of an initial 3-5-2. VDW out on the left and now Hasler as a LM.

SoccMan2
06-08-2018, 08:01 PM
Sorry but apart from the goal and a brief spell of possession we are seeing why this team is where it’s at this season, they need to start playing better or else they will come out of this with no points never mind the three points .

OgtheDim
06-08-2018, 08:15 PM
Sub guesses?

Fraser for Chapman around 65

Telfer for Hasler 75

Last one depends on the game state - winning? Zavs for Vasquez 80

Losing? Aketxe for Hernandez

nonc
06-08-2018, 08:23 PM
Time for Chapman to hit the bench.

portu
06-08-2018, 08:24 PM
Ray Gaddis: yet another clumsy fuck that shouldn’t play professional football

desigujju
06-08-2018, 08:39 PM
http://nowwatchtvlive.org/tsn4-live-stream-watch-tsn4-channel-online-free/

thanks for the link

desigujju
06-08-2018, 08:44 PM
All TSN Channels Live Free @ http://nowwatchtvlive.org

TSN 1 Link : http://nowwatchtvlive.org/tsn-live-stream-watch-tsn-1-online-channel-free/

TSN 2 Link : http://nowwatchtvlive.org/tsn-2-live-stream-watch-tsn-2-channel-online/

TSN 3 Link : http://nowwatchtvlive.org/tsn3-live-stream-watch-tsn3-channel-online-free/

TSN 4 Link : http://nowwatchtvlive.org/tsn4-live-stream-watch-tsn4-channel-online-free/

TSN 5 Link : http://nowwatchtvlive.org/tsn5-live-stream-watch-tsn5-channel-online-free/

Other Links : http://nowwatchtvlive.org , http://tvtoss.net , http://mytvlive.me

OgtheDim
06-08-2018, 08:45 PM
So the next time somebody says Seba never does defensive work, I'm going to point out him winning a foul deep on the left in our end in the 75th minute.

Eastend
06-08-2018, 08:47 PM
This has been an extremely frustrating game to watch. So so sloppy by TFC.

...and the usually bad game by Toledo

jloome
06-08-2018, 08:53 PM
This has been an extremely frustrating game to watch. So so sloppy by TFC.

...and the usually bad game by Toledo

I dunno, I'd say we've been pretty solid. Defense looked timid for the first twenty minutes but we've been fine since then. I was just sitting thinking that we're actually moving the ball okay tonight for the first time this season, with our proper spine in place.

jloome
06-08-2018, 08:54 PM
Geez, we're cutting them up.

jloome
06-08-2018, 08:55 PM
Ray Gaddis: yet another clumsy fuck that shouldn’t play professional football

How the fuck does he not have two yellows by now?

wopchop
06-08-2018, 09:03 PM
Thank the Gods.

Eastend
06-08-2018, 09:04 PM
I dunno, I'd say we've been pretty solid. Defense looked timid for the first twenty minutes but we've been fine since then. I was just sitting thinking that we're actually moving the ball okay tonight for the first time this season, with our proper spine in place.

Got better but there were many stretches of bad/short passing.

Eastend
06-08-2018, 09:04 PM
Happy for the win.

OgtheDim
06-08-2018, 09:06 PM
Job done. Wasn't pretty but in the end we carved them up and took advantage of a big mistake. Great passes by Vasquez & Seba to spring Osorio who had great touches to put himself in position & score.

We had games like this last year too.

Take the 3 points.

ag futbol
06-08-2018, 09:09 PM
How the fuck does he not have two yellows by now?
I guess if you’re sloppy enough, every game, they just get tired of calling them.

portu
06-08-2018, 09:10 PM
2-1 loss. Giovinco scores. Vanney poor tactically again.

Happy to be proven wrong

Hamilton_Red
06-08-2018, 09:24 PM
Defense tightened up in the second. Still major injury related problems. Osorio brilliant finishing.

Great result - well needed. Bono brilliant. Bradley back to his usual as DM.

Ricketts...I can't remember seeing a player lose form this badly. Pulling out of a 1 on 1 ....60:40...that will get you punted for good in Glasgow.

Telfer - looked the business coming on the second half. Really nice to see.

Canary10
06-08-2018, 09:28 PM
Good job guys!!

Red CB Toronto
06-08-2018, 09:41 PM
Great to see. Not out of the woods yet, but what a relief !!

BakaGaijin
06-08-2018, 10:10 PM
Bradley with some bad passes/turnovers, but, less noticiable from the midfield. Never really creates anything out of the back. Osario more valuable to this team than Bradley.

molenshtain
06-08-2018, 10:19 PM
Bradley with some bad passes/turnovers, but, less noticiable from the midfield. Never really creates anything out of the back. Osario more valuable to this team than Bradley.

haha this is nuts.

Bradley is, when playing in his favored position, the best MF in the league. Osorio is very good, and has taken a great leap forward this year, but he's not close to as valuable.

molenshtain
06-08-2018, 10:21 PM
Orlando loses tomorrow in Van, which is likely I think, and we beat D.C. at home on Tuesday the gap between us and the playoffs is 2 points with 20 games remaining.

We're gonna be just fine.

OgtheDim
06-08-2018, 11:03 PM
Chapman had a crap game - I blame his new hair colouring.

But, apart from that, I'm having problems trying to find a weak link there tonight. Sure, Hasler & Hagglund were finding their legs. And Hernandez is really the #5 choice back there. But Auro & VDW were immense tonight with their work rate.

As for the Bradley take, well he was involved in the first goal with a crisp pass so...

https://twitter.com/JogaBonito_USA/status/1005254046482132992

Couchy81
06-08-2018, 11:05 PM

Hot take. Men's dungarees more valuable to this team than pennywhistles. Whoop whoop!

notthesun
06-08-2018, 11:42 PM
The TFC secret sauce: play Bradley at DM, win.

Seems Vanney has seen the light.

molenshtain
06-08-2018, 11:54 PM
The TFC secret sauce: play Bradley at DM, win.

Seems Vanney has seen the light.

I'm sure He would have loved to have Bradley play DM every time, but having literally no CB's and like 2 sort of healthy full-backs made that pretty difficult. I don't see what else he could have done.

Still Kicking
06-09-2018, 07:01 AM
I am throwing the cat amongst the pigeons here.
The time to sell Seba is sooner rather than later. He has lost a step, does not beat anyone 1v1. Philly is hardly a lockdown defending team, but Seba was smothered. The second goal (his assist on Osorio) was a gift, Philly threw the ball to him wide open.
He is also not showing any maturity, coolness or leadership. After the contact to his face in the second half, he did not get his head back in the game for minutes. If Toledo did not give him a yellow card on his payback tackle, we are in strange territory. Toledo more restrained than our striker. He is not earning a pay raise out there. Maybe a loan during the offseason? Maybe a contract offer that allows TFC to sign another striker?

Oldtimer
06-09-2018, 07:30 AM
I am throwing the cat amongst the pigeons here.
The time to sell Seba is sooner rather than later. He has lost a step, does not beat anyone 1v1. Philly is hardly a lockdown defending team, but Seba was smothered. The second goal (his assist on Osorio) was a gift, Philly threw the ball to him wide open.
He is also not showing any maturity, coolness or leadership. After the contact to his face in the second half, he did not get his head back in the game for minutes. If Toledo did not give him a yellow card on his payback tackle, we are in strange territory. Toledo more restrained than our striker. He is not earning a pay raise out there. Maybe a loan during the offseason? Maybe a contract offer that allows TFC to sign another striker?

Maybe Seba is not playing so well BECAUSE of his contract situation.

Still Kicking
06-09-2018, 07:53 AM
Maybe Seba is not playing so well BECAUSE of his contract situation.

Which is fuel to my fire. Osorio is right there, showing the way. The petulance of Seba is grating. with Moor Mavinga Morrow and Altidore all injured, this was Seba's chance to show he is fundamental to TFC success. Instead he shows that the others are required. What if Toronto can't afford Osorio and he pursues Europe or Mexico? Does TFC want to lock up a Designated Player spot for a guy (Seba) that indicates that he will be less of a player and less of a leader? I think it was either here or on twitter last night... somebody said "put a gun to my head and say that I can only have Osorio or Giovinco on TFC, right now I would say Osorio"...
Maybe something snapped with me last night, who likes having guns to the head?

Canary10
06-09-2018, 08:26 AM
I don’t think last night was a particularly good example of Giovinco’s play. He had no service at all the entire night. Still got an assist. Is that 6 in the league this year? He’s been our best player overall throughout the CCL for sure and the league imo. It’s a god topic of debate though. I’m sure TFC is having it internally.

Auzzy
06-09-2018, 08:27 AM
A couple of thoughts, some mentioned above some not:
- Overall a very decent result against a team higher in the standings.

- Philly could easily have had 2 goals, so we were a bit lucky. But we could easily have had 5-6, so they were luckier.

- That pass/shot? by Auro across an open goal, with Seba standing there with acres of space & ready for a tap in, was so painful. There were other similar situations.

- Bradley was mentioned RE bad passes, and he had a few howlers, but he also gets the ball more than about anyone else, and usually in the most dangerous situations.

- Tied to that: despite the overall good result, I was amazed how un-focussed TFC looked at times. Almost every TFC player had multiple situations like that. Although they looked to be trying hard, they couldn't snap out of it consistently.

- Tied to that: I just think the team often looks EXTREMELY TIRED. Shortest off-season; all those extra games, many of them on crappy surfaces and/or crappy weather; incredible numbers of players injured; and others having to play out-of-position, or more than Vanney would want to play them.

- Consistency was one of TFC's greatest strengths in the last few years. But that goes out the window when you have big holes & heavy rotation in the squad as mentioned above.

- WC break can't come soon enough, and I WISH they had managed to fit the DC home game somewhere else, for the benefit of the pitch & the team.

- Back to yesterday, a number of situations where the team just didn't play smart considering their situation. E.g. Hernandez & Hagglund are both fairly slow. (Hagglund was never the fastest, but is obviously still just coming back from a lengthy layoff.) But considering that, and considering that Vanney wanted to be smart and careful on D, they were often pulled way too far forward, with not enough midfield defensive cover. Philly has some speedsters but luckily couldn't take advantage.
One of demine's headlines from Friday was "TFC thinking defence first heading into date with Philadelphia Union" but they often didn't play that way.

- Seba can be annoying with his pouting, but watch closely for the shit he puts up with non-stop, especially against a team like Philly that obviously emphasizes pressing, grabbing & hacking in defensive & defensive midfield. Plus Toledo doesn't call much anymore (and he's no longer the red & yellow card machine he used to be). At one point in the 2nd half, a Philly player clearly had his hands on Seba's throat, pushing him away from the ball just inside the top of the penalty area. I think Toledo would have whistled a foul anywhere else, but was too chicken to call the PK that he should have.

- Seba CLEARLY misses Altidore. Altidore soaks up (and dishes) pressure and abuse that is now all focussed on Seba. None of our other forwards are remotely capable of fulfilling that role. (Can't TFC find a semi-decent bruiser that can tap in a few goals for decent pay?)

- As others have mentioned, something is clearly amiss with Ricketts. I wonder if he's carrying a slight injury, or just lost a massive step since last season. Balls over the top late in the game (and effusive effort) used to be his bread and butter. Both the speed and the effort seem to be gone.

ag futbol
06-09-2018, 09:15 AM
People, Ricketts hasn’t lost a step, this IS Tostaint Ricketts for the entirety of his career. His early TFC form was well above his historical production levels.

Fort York Redcoat
06-09-2018, 09:34 AM
Wow and this from a win.

So much trade talk. That is, "get rid of em'" talk.

Glad for the 3 points. Glad we have a quick opportunity for another 3 before Cup break.

Fort York Redcoat
06-09-2018, 09:39 AM
People, Ricketts hasn’t lost a step, this IS Tostaint Ricketts for the entirety of his career. His early TFC form was well above his historical production levels.

^^That wasn't aimed at you ags. You know I love Ricketts (love supporting him) but other than keeping him to limited time to keep him just fresh enough for his Canada all time goals...I realize he's not more than he is now.

And without the odd goal to pick up after Seba et al ala Oso this year Ricketts won't be around for many more seasons.

Yohan
06-09-2018, 09:53 AM
After the game vs Columbus, playing against slumpbusters Philly was fortunate. (TFC owns Philly) With crappy DCU up next, it's good for TFC. 7 pts in 3 games (if win against DCU next game) is good and get back on track.

The Good: Oso being the man. I don't think TFC can hold on to him after this season. He may even be gone in the summer. And he should take the opportunity to do other things in his career before that window closes. Also, Bono stoning 2 Philly breakaways.

The Bad: Just sloppiness esp defending at times. Mavinga can't come back fast enough.

The Ugly: Rosenberry's hilarious throw in to Giovinco to Osorio goal.

Defoe
06-09-2018, 10:17 AM
I'm not at all concerned.

Toronto was hot for 2 years, including a deep run to the finals in CCL.

We're banged up, out of form; and we're hanging around.

If we don't get healthy, we're probably going to have a lacklustre year.

If we get Altidore, Mavinga, Morrow back and we have enough time (20 games) for Giovinco, Aketxe, Bradley and/or Vazquez to catch fire. Add that to VDW, Auro and Osorio and Bono and we're going to be okay.

We just need to hover around 7th in the conference; not LOSE control; then make a giant push towards the middle of the table and find our selves in 4th-6th in the conference and we are seriously going to be a dangerous first round appointment for Columbus or NY

Hamilton_Red
06-09-2018, 10:58 AM
With a fit team again we will go deep in the playoffs - no question about it. For me the big question is Aketexe - I still feel at aome point he come good and if yhat happens we will start destroying good teams. I’d trade Rickets in the window. I hope Delgado get’s his confidence back.

MightyDM
06-09-2018, 11:39 AM
Ricketts had a thyroid problem in the pre season. I wonder if it is still affecting him somehow? The only game that he has looked like himself was Columbus.

the team looks tired , beat up, and out of gas. I wonder if the CCL run ,want that they were not able to lay the fitness base that a preseason normally allows. Vasquez vs Columbus in the second half was walking, for example

and I don’t agree about Gio at all. He has played some of his best soccer for us this year. Not the singlehanded kind of brilliance, but the make everyone around you better kind of brilliance.. Gretzky had the same metamorphosis.

Auzzy
06-09-2018, 11:56 AM

Yes he has lost a step, in straight-up speed and effort. In the past he was able to get onto those long balls, or at least try damn hard. I'm not expecting him to necessarily score as a result or be reliable, that's not the Ricketts we know. Just to get there (and help to stretch their D as a result). As MightyDM mentioned, Ricketts had a thyroid problem, which can really mess with your whole body & conditioning, so maybe that's it.

paul-collins
06-09-2018, 09:10 PM
- That pass/shot? by Auro across an open goal, with Seba standing there with acres of space & ready for a tap in, was so painful. There were other similar situations.

I hope you're not suggesting Seba should have had that? If he had been forward enough to tap that in, he'd have been offside.

paul-collins
06-09-2018, 09:11 PM
Oh, and Philly are dirty pricks.