PDA

View Full Version : MLS Games TONIGHT - May 30

OgtheDim
05-30-2018, 12:01 PM
oooo.. 4 mid week games

Atlanta @ NER 7:30pm GAME OF THE NIGHT If Atlanta really are beasts in the East, they have to win games like this. NER's defence isn't all that good but their offence lives in the exact places where Atlanta is vulnerable - in front of their back 3. NER though is coming back from Vancouver while Atlanta was home on the weekend.
2-1 Atlanta win Why watch this game? A lot of quick tempo passing

Chicago @ Philly 7:30pm The Union tie at NYRB was impressive in a tie everything down & make sure no mistakes happen sort of way. Philly's Accam will want revenge against his old team - except his new team isn't starting him right now. Chicago is also kinda muddling along. The Union are better in defence though.
Philly 3 Chicago 1 Why watch the highlights of this game? See Bastie yell at his teammates like Seba does

Houston @ RSL 9:30pmHouston is the real deal right now in the West. Yes, Dallas keeps grinding out points but nobody is as scary offensively out there as Houston is. RSL beat toothless Seattle but their FB's won't be able to handle Houston's wide play
Houston 2 RSL 0 Why watch this game? The Panther mask routine might make its return.

FCD @ Galaxy 10:30pm FCD can't play rope a dope forever & the Galaxy are showing signs of turning things around. Expect Zlatan to take centre stage with the Dos Santos brothers gone.
LAG 3 Dallas 1 Why watch this game? Zlatan in a foul mood

Voodooman
05-30-2018, 01:51 PM
NE vs Atlanta will be interesting, for some reason playing there is always a struggle for any team.

Fort York Redcoat
05-31-2018, 02:12 PM
Gordon scores again for Chicago in a losing effort. Pulling away from Seba All Time and now tied with Chad Barrett!

And Silva scores for Salt Lake. Great goals and saves both ways in that one.

OgtheDim
05-31-2018, 03:10 PM
He also won the MLS instagram challenge this week - (NSFW warning to those who want to find out what I'm talking about)

Initial B
05-31-2018, 06:28 PM
^ Who are you talking about?

ensco
05-31-2018, 07:11 PM
The league has a problem with how to deal with Dallas on time wasting. They were at it again repeatedly last night, the refs let it go, again, and the Galaxy stormed a guy faking an injury.

The Dallas player got a red because he retaliated, which was actually kind of comical, but the whole thing felt out of control. Vigilante justice. There is going to be a serious incident soon if refs don’t start holding Dallas to account.

OgtheDim
05-31-2018, 07:18 PM
^ Who are you talking about?

Alan Gordon

Globetrotter
05-31-2018, 08:12 PM
The league has a problem with how to deal with Dallas on time wasting. They were at it again repeatedly last night, the refs let it go, again, and the Galaxy stormed a guy faking an injury.

The Dallas player got a red because he retaliated, which was actually kind of comical, but the whole thing felt out of control. Vigilante justice. There is going to be a serious incident soon if refs don’t start holding Dallas to account.

Stop the clocks.

Ball goes out of play. Foul. Set piece. Whatever. Hit the pause button. No added time.

Imagine that.

People getting subbed actually leave the field at normal pace. Absolutely no room for trickling off seconds.

There would be whole countries, continents, and other groups that simply wouldn't know what to do with themselves.

SirBobSaget
05-31-2018, 09:13 PM

Seems like Refs are adding plenty of extra time, but the stalling tactics still take momentum away. Hopefully the accumulation of yellows catch up with FCD. They have no sportsmanship.

James17930
05-31-2018, 11:28 PM
Stop the clocks.

Ball goes out of play. Foul. Set piece. Whatever. Hit the pause button. No added time.

Imagine that.

People getting subbed actually leave the field at normal pace. Absolutely no room for trickling off seconds.

There would be whole countries, continents, and other groups that simply wouldn't know what to do with themselves.

I read that FIFA was studying doing something like that, with an 80 min game clock that stopped and started a la hockey and basketball.

But who knows when they might start trialing it.

OgtheDim
06-01-2018, 06:42 AM
FWIW, here's where FIFA talks about this consideration - there are other things mentioned.

http://play-fair.com/#chapter-2

ag futbol
06-01-2018, 07:14 AM
Seems like Refs are adding plenty of extra time, but the stalling tactics still take momentum away. Hopefully the accumulation of yellows catch up with FCD. They have no sportsmanship.
Maybe if they stall long enough they won’t suck in the playoffs again this year.

Globetrotter
06-01-2018, 10:07 AM
I read that FIFA was studying doing something like that, with an 80 min game clock that stopped and started a la hockey and basketball.

But who knows when they might start trialing it.

Good for them! I cant believe they're really considering that. It just seems like one of those fundamental and historical parts of soccer that would have purists raging - and ultimately never move in a better direction.

There's something really neat about leaving the clock running - but not at the expense of all the other shenanigans around it.

Teams will always try to find ways to milk seconds, but I see more positives by making the changes to a stop/start clock scenario.

The changes wouldn't necessarily stop anyone from diving to draw a penalty, or to stay down longer to make the "injury" look worse to (prompting a card or free kick), but we would eliminate all the extra rolling around that is there to purposely delay the game.

That's very exciting news.

TFC Tifoso
06-01-2018, 10:35 AM
Stop the clocks.

Imagine that.

I believe this is actually the way MLS was in the first few years of the league. Clock stopped when the ball was dead.

I like the idea, but a way of doing it with keeping the "concept" as it currently is, is to maybe have an official on the sidelines who starts and stops a watch during any dead ball and that time gets added to the end. This way it is the actual real time that was lost which is remade, but keeping the idea of "injury time".
My though is that when a team wastes time during the 90, then has to defend a 1 goal lead for an extra 10 minutes of added time, teams will sort out their time wasting habits on their own, without any drastic rule changes.

ag futbol
06-01-2018, 10:54 AM
I don’t particularly consider myself a traditionalist but i’m hoping they find a way to tweak things without bastardizing the game completely.

I think loss of possession in additional to the yellows would be a good start. Hit FCD in the pocket book as well.

Imagine if taking too long on a goal kick resulted in a corner kick for the opposing team. Bet you that would get them going.

Fort York Redcoat
06-01-2018, 01:04 PM
Stop clock

Enter commercials

TFC Tifoso
06-01-2018, 01:09 PM
Stop clock

Enter commercials

I agree.....any "official" time stoppage, and eventually commercials will creep in, especially in North America/MLS.
Game clock should always run, but there's gotta be a way at the end to make up the actual real lost time.....

OgtheDim
06-01-2018, 01:25 PM
Doesn't happen in rugby where the ref tells the clock to stop & start. Hooter at the end means one last play.

TFC Tifoso
06-01-2018, 01:32 PM
Doesn't happen in rugby where the ref tells the clock to stop & start. Hooter at the end means one last play.

fair point, but rugby is much more niche in the global scope....easier to keep "traditional"....