PDA

View Full Version : Match Day 10 - Orlando @ TFC Friday May 18 8pm - Lion Tamer or Chartered Accountancy?

OgtheDim
05-13-2018, 10:54 PM
Lets hope the guys are Lion tamers this week.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zYqqla3HTyY

(FWIW, my brother is a CA)

Have at It People

pfk
05-14-2018, 08:56 AM
I think the question is who is actually available to play in this game?

Is it looking like no Seba, Jozy, Morrow, Moor, VDW, Hagglund, Zavaleta, and Hasler.

OgtheDim
05-14-2018, 09:49 AM
Orlando is quick but defensively lax. They tightened up on Sunday using a big press but their first half was poor. Key here is getting Bradley out of the back and into the midfield. After that, with Vasquez & Hamilton moving the ball quickly, we should be able to penetrate their defence. Getting shots past Bendik isn't easy but he's no Nik Romando.

Oldtimer
05-15-2018, 10:55 AM
Tweet from Molinaro says VDW, Hagglund, and Zaveleta in training.

https://twitter.com/JohnMolinaro/status/996399883547373569?s=20

I think this game is winnable.

Canary10
05-15-2018, 11:00 AM
It's a bit annoying how opaque Vanney is about injuries. Reality is we don't have a good idea how hurt a lot of these guys are. Like Morrow. I didn't see anything that looked that bad, but here we are, what, two months later and no sign of him. I wish we knew what was really going on.

stevep
05-15-2018, 01:32 PM
It's a bit annoying how opaque Vanney is about injuries. Reality is we don't have a good idea how hurt a lot of these guys are. Like Morrow. I didn't see anything that looked that bad, but here we are, what, two months later and no sign of him. I wish we knew what was really going on.

fishy isnt it.

OgtheDim
05-15-2018, 01:39 PM
Beats "upper body injury" in the NHL when everybody knows darn well a guy got his nose clocked in a fight.

I'm wondering how plain MLS are going to have to be with legal sports betting coming to all of the US soon.

Canary10
05-15-2018, 01:39 PM
fishy isnt it.

It's not fishy, it's totally common for managers to be this way about injuries. But it's annoying for supporters, who want to know what's really going on. And it's hard at the moment to feel really optimistic about us getting back to where we should be near the top of the league when we have no idea when/if players are getting back.

C.Ronaldo
05-15-2018, 02:58 PM
Hamilton's break out game is upon us

paul-collins
05-15-2018, 03:02 PM
That's my vibe also

portu
05-15-2018, 05:03 PM
I wonder if there's a chance Vanney decides not to field a striker and play Vazquez or Aketxe (because god knows he can't defend or pass in his own half) as a false nine. If we don't go that way I'd rather see Hamilton up top alone than Ricketts next to him.

notthesun
05-15-2018, 06:53 PM
I want Bradley back in the midfield no matter who is available.

SoccMan2
05-15-2018, 07:48 PM
Yes and I will win the lottery this Friday. Also Is Aketxe Mista in disguise?

stevep
05-15-2018, 09:15 PM
I wonder if there's a chance Vanney decides not to field a striker and play Vazquez or Aketxe (because god knows he can't defend or pass in his own half) as a false nine. If we don't go that way I'd rather see Hamilton up top alone than Ricketts next to him.

I suspect Aketxe is done like dinner. he is this years Armando Copper.

starter
05-15-2018, 09:20 PM
Yes and I will win the lottery this Friday. Also Is Aketxe Mista in disguise?

Mista was much more comfortable on the ball, Ager more like a deer in headlights :D

Still hope he somehow recovers from his last performance.

portu
05-15-2018, 09:22 PM
I suspect Aketxe is done like dinner. he is this years Armando Copper.
I think the FO is in love with him and especially given their investment in him they're going to play him until he's proven beyond a shadow of a doubt that he's useless.

OgtheDim
05-16-2018, 06:16 AM
Man we got spoiled by last year. We forgot what it was like to work players in over months because we were winning all the time.

After the Phillly game, consensus in this forum and among journos was Aketxe was wonderful. He was defensively responsible and offensively useful. He's always been a long term project. Aketxe here now is about 2020. That's what it takes to build teams for the long term.

Oldtimer
05-16-2018, 06:40 AM
I think the FO is in love with him and especially given their investment in him they're going to play him until he's proven beyond a shadow of a doubt that he's useless.

Aketxe is a Gilberto level bust. There, I said it.

We have a GM with an excellent track record, and I fully support him. However, any GM, no matter how bright is going to have a few busts.

Abou Sky
05-16-2018, 06:43 AM
That's my vibe also

Not getting this vibe, but, I hope that you are right and I am wrong!

Abou Sky
05-16-2018, 06:45 AM
Aketxe is a Gilberto level bust. There, I said it.

We have a GM with an excellent track record, and I fully support him. However, any GM, no matter how bright is going to have a few busts.

Disagree!

Aketxe is only beginning to show what he can do.

I think that he is going to be a regular starter and serious contributor as he settles in.

lobo
05-16-2018, 11:13 AM
I want Bradley back in the midfield no matter who is available.

Yep.

Derko
05-16-2018, 12:36 PM
Hey gang won't be at tge game. I am recovering from prostate surgery. My daughter will be representing the clan. Come on TFC get back on stride.

TMAN80
05-16-2018, 02:26 PM
Speaking about Aketxe, I feel like we are maybe overlooking the fact that he hasn't really had a chance to play a lot with our true first team starters since arriving. The first appearance was maybe the closest and he came on as a sub, and I thought looked great. Since then, he's literally been playing with mostly a TFC2/bench team, and not to mention a bunch of different TFC2/bench players as well, with a couple short exceptions.

He has not looked great, but for a player in his position coming into a new league, with new players around him all the time, and not even of an MLS quality(both games during CCL and a few since)...not sure what more we could expect. I would argue his defensive work rate could improve, which I feel it has(although still a bad giveaway last game).

When you consider where he came from, the type of quality games he's been in, and the amount of teams that apparently were after his services, I think the benefit of the doubt goes to Bez/Vanney on what we have with him, at least until its been a season.

I remember there were people writing off Mavinga, saying we had better in Zavaletta/Hagglund...and other posts regarding VDW being bad as well, I just don't get it. The guy has been huge for us, out of position, and playing with Bradley who has never played CB either. To deny VDW's quality, and what he has brought is unfair to him.

pfk
05-16-2018, 03:17 PM
Speaking about Aketxe, I feel like we are maybe overlooking the fact that he hasn't really had a chance to play a lot with our true first team starters since arriving. The first appearance was maybe the closest and he came on as a sub, and I thought looked great. Since then, he's literally been playing with mostly a TFC2/bench team, and not to mention a bunch of different TFC2/bench players as well, with a couple short exceptions.

He has not looked great, but for a player in his position coming into a new league, with new players around him all the time, and not even of an MLS quality(both games during CCL and a few since)...not sure what more we could expect. I would argue his defensive work rate could improve, which I feel it has(although still a bad giveaway last game).

When you consider where he came from, the type of quality games he's been in, and the amount of teams that apparently were after his services, I think the benefit of the doubt goes to Bez/Vanney on what we have with him, at least until its been a season.

I remember there were people writing off Mavinga, saying we had better in Zavaletta/Hagglund...and other posts regarding VDW being bad as well, I just don't get it. The guy has been huge for us, out of position, and playing with Bradley who has never played CB either. To deny VDW's quality, and what he has brought is unfair to him.

People were writing off Mavinga after his first game last year against Atlanta when he was responsible for both goals against us. I also believe some were posting bad reviews of VDW after just a couple of games. Let's just say that some TFC and Toronto fans are a fickle bunch. :)

Perhaps with Aketxe, the poor play has continued beyond a handful of games and coupled with the poor season, some are looking at reasons for our bad record.

DOMIN8R
05-16-2018, 08:29 PM
On paper (other than his legal problems), and in training he looks like the real deal. His on field MLS stats have not lived up to his salary and potential. I hope that this is an acclimatization problem that can still be course corrected. Before anyone asks about my training comment, most who have seen him train think that he has some great skills/abilities that simply have not translated in real matches. The show is where it counts. We will have to see how much patience management has, I guess.

TFC Tifoso
05-17-2018, 07:05 AM
re. Aketxe vs Mavinga......

sure its true that Mavinga's first game was a nightmare last year, but a) in Vanney's post game interview that game, he basically admitted that Mavinga wasn't expecting that rough of a ride in MLS, and b) we saw a marked improvement in the very next game he played in and a constant upward trend after that.

Aketxe has yet to stand out in any game he's played in and we're taking what now, 5-6 starts and 10 appearances total?.....personally, I'm willing to give him only another game or 2 before writing him off....like I said in another thread, he might have skill, bit seems very lazy and that is something you just don't/can't change.....

ScarboroughRed
05-17-2018, 08:32 AM

sure its true that Mavinga's first game was a nightmare last year, but a) in Vanney's post game interview that game, he basically admitted that Mavinga wasn't expecting that rough of a ride in MLS, and b) we saw a marked improvement in the very next game he played in and a constant upward trend after that.

Aketxe has yet to stand out in any game he's played in and we're taking what now, 5-6 starts and 10 appearances total?.....personally, I'm willing to give him only another game or 2 before writing him off....like I said in another thread, he might have skill, bit seems very lazy and that is something you just don't/can't change.....

My only reservation about this debate is that Mavinga came in with Morrow, Moor, Zavaleta and Bradley around him for a good run of games in a set formation the whole team was comfortable with, with Hagglund pushing him in training.

Aketxe has come in with what is essentially a rotating wheel of players and formations while learning a new language, which isn't easy.

He may still end up being a bust, but for him to show his skill he needs a set formation with Bradley and our other good midfielders around him.

ManUtd4ever
05-17-2018, 10:13 AM
We have to stop the bleeding. Injuries have been a major issue, but we simply can't afford to fall behind any further in the standings.

Canary10
05-17-2018, 11:03 AM
We have to stop the bleeding. Injuries have been a major issue, but we simply can't afford to fall behind any further in the standings.

I haven't done the math myself but Kurt was saying in the Sun today we need a PPG average from here on out higher than every other team but us last year just to get over 50 points this year (which is about the playoff line). I'm not sure that other thread that shan't be named is far off the mark.

Cas87
05-17-2018, 11:09 AM
I am not saying that this will definitley happen league wide ... BUT, there is the possibility.

World Cup fatigue/hang-over.

Most of the teams in front of us will be having a few major pieces away for an extended period because of the world cup, that would be the great equalizer to us.
How many times have we been under-manned because of Jozy, Bradley et al. being call up for every tournament.
This is the time to take advantage when we have it.

Canary10
05-17-2018, 11:09 AM
I am not saying that this will definitley happen league wide ... BUT, there is the possibility.

World Cup fatigue/hang-over.

Most of the teams in front of us will be having a few major pieces away for an extended period because of the world cup, that would be the great equalizer to us.
How many times have we been under-manned because of Jozy, Bradley et al. being call up for every tournament.
This is the time to take advantage when we have it.

Hopefully that break allows us to get back to full fitness too.

magmadragon
05-17-2018, 02:08 PM
It's a short break though, not the whole tournament. Hopefully that will be enough to get most everyone back by then.

michaeltfc91
05-17-2018, 02:18 PM
We don't even have a break, we play June 2 June 8 June 13 June 24 July 1... that's not a break

Canary10
05-17-2018, 02:46 PM
We don't even have a break, we play June 2 June 8 June 13 June 24 July 1... that's not a break

Lol. Yeah that's no break. I never actually looked.

michaeltfc91
05-17-2018, 03:02 PM
Lol. Yeah that's no break. I never actually looked.

Because we moved the DCU game to June 13 during our Champions League run

It's going to be tough to get out of this hole. Really need to get healthy quick and take it 1 game at a time

2-6-1
lets try and go 13-6-6
15-12-7 = 52 points, would be for sure playoffs. And think about it, we are better than 13-6-6

like I said 1 game at a time, let's play some catch up

ensco
05-17-2018, 03:52 PM
How about we have some fun and worry about the standings later?

Red CB Toronto
05-17-2018, 04:07 PM
Completely agree , at least until after the World Cup break anyways.

Hamilton_Red
05-17-2018, 05:02 PM
Completely agree , at least until after the World Cup break anyways.

Imagine if Bradley was heading out to the WC. Season would be over.

TMAN80
05-17-2018, 08:34 PM

I can understand for sure that he does look lazy, and I see it too. I'm just not so sure that he actually is, or it's just his speed that makes him look that way. I really think he needs time with most or all the first team players for a strech to see if his quality can come out. Mavinga jumped in with Moor already there, Beita and Morrow beside him. He underestimated the league as you said, but Aketxe has surely done the same. Lets hope this works out, we can't have that much money coming on for 20-30 mins a game from now till the seasons done.

Graeme
05-18-2018, 06:08 AM
Bono
Auro--VDW--Hernandez--Mavinga--Morgan
Delgado--Bradley--Osorio
Vazquez--Hamilton

Kamp Berg
05-18-2018, 07:18 AM
Bono
Auro-VDW-Mavinga-Morgan
Aketxe-Delgado-Bradley-Osorio
Vasquez-Hamilton

TFC Tifoso
05-18-2018, 07:22 AM
I can understand for sure that he does look lazy, and I see it too. I'm just not so sure that he actually is, or it's just his speed that makes him look that way. I really think he needs time with most or all the first team players for a strech to see if his quality can come out. Mavinga jumped in with Moor already there, Beita and Morrow beside him. He underestimated the league as you said, but Aketxe has surely done the same. Lets hope this works out, we can't have that much money coming on for 20-30 mins a game from now till the seasons done.

I am hoping that is the case, but personally, I am past the "he needs more time" stage, though of course that is subjective. Granted that he has had very little time with our best XI, he should at least know by now what to expect as far as quality of opposition goes, and up his game to that end.

I do agree wholeheartedly with the bolded part though....

Voodooman
05-18-2018, 07:27 AM
Like others have said 1 game at a time! Lets get a big 3 points here!

I'm glad most of our games are against the toughest teams. We are going to need to beat them to get back, and better chance our team is more healthy, so lets get it done!

Graeme
05-18-2018, 07:53 AM
Bono
Auro-VDW-Mavinga-Morgan
Aketxe-Delgado-Bradley-Osorio
Vasquez-Hamilton

Oh yes, Aketze in for Hernandez--that's even better (hopefully).

TFC Tifoso
05-18-2018, 08:17 AM
Larson's projected lineup from today's Sun....great to see Mavinga back in the XI if this holds....that's a hell of an athletic pair of CBs.....

----------------------Bono------------------------

Auro----------vdW--------Mavinga------Morgan

-------Bradley-----------------Delgado----------

--Aketxe-----------Osorio------------Vazquez--

-------------------Ricketts-----------------------

Areathrasher
05-18-2018, 08:27 AM
Ugh, Ricketts, no thanks

michaeltfc91
05-18-2018, 08:28 AM
Larson's projected lineup from today's Sun....great to see Mavinga back in the XI if this holds....that's a hell of an athletic pair of CBs.....

----------------------Bono------------------------

Auro----------vdW--------Mavinga------Morgan

-------Bradley-----------------Delgado----------

--Aketxe-----------Osorio------------Vazquez--

-------------------Ricketts-----------------------

That's not bad, have to win tonight with that lineup. Zavaleta subs on at half for whichever CB isn't 100%, Chapman subs on for whichever midfielder isn't 100% and I would start Hamilton and sub on Ricketts after

Canary10
05-18-2018, 08:31 AM

It's no fun losing in some annoying way. Or even drawing, as the Chicago game showed. It's only fun if you win!!

ensco
05-18-2018, 09:44 AM
It's no fun losing in some annoying way. Or even drawing, as the Chicago game showed. It's only fun if you win!!

Reasonable, sure.

My feeling is different. These guys are awesome, what a team.

We are winners even when we don’t win.

Areathrasher
05-18-2018, 09:49 AM
Dwyer is out for Orlando tonight

https://www.prosoccerusa.com/mls/orlando-city-sc/star-striker-dom-dwyer-out-for-orlando-citys-game-against-toronto-fc/

TFC Tifoso
05-18-2018, 09:55 AM

"I always tell the truth....even when I lie." - Tony Montana

But in all seriousness, yes its a great team, but the results need to be coming really soon imo.....keep dropping points now, especially at home, and even making playoffs will be tough.
I wasn't worried at all about dropping points in MLS during the CCL run, but they need to start coming.

Dwyer is out for Orlando tonight

https://www.prosoccerusa.com/mls/orlando-city-sc/star-striker-dom-dwyer-out-for-orlando-citys-game-against-toronto-fc/

this is great news for TFC....

Canary10
05-18-2018, 09:59 AM
Reasonable, sure.

My feeling is different. These guys are awesome, what a team.

You've gone soft.

ensco
05-18-2018, 10:11 AM
You've gone soft.

Anything could happen tonight.

No Gio. No Altidore. No back line. Vazquez not really right.

Injuries may be wrecking the season, sure. I am not getting bent about it.

notthesun
05-18-2018, 10:32 AM
No Dwyer for Orlando tonight, he didn't travel.

ag futbol
05-18-2018, 10:42 AM
Fear that may be the case. Championship hangover and all it wouldn’t bother me overly.

A few more converted penalties and we’d be laughing and this off until 2019.

TFC Tifoso
05-18-2018, 11:07 AM
Anything could happen tonight.

No Gio. No Altidore. No back line. Vazquez not really right.

Fear that may be the case. Championship hangover and all it wouldn’t bother me overly.

A few more converted penalties and we’d be laughing and this off until 2019.

So say the doomsday happens and we miss out on playoffs this year....would the accomplishments from last year not be "cheapened" (for lack of a better word) for you guys?
tbh, it would a bit for me.....I'm not one for saying TFC needs to be as good as last year - it would be unreasonable to expect that imo - but injuries or not, playoffs at a bare minimum are an absolute must this year.....

Voodooman
05-18-2018, 11:34 AM
Hasn't been mentioned either but Orlando is also missing Yoshi Yotun due to Yellow cards. That's a big loss for them as well.

Looking at positives!

Canary10
05-18-2018, 12:22 PM
I think we'll do ok tonight. Tosaint usually has a big game when people start getting down on him. Two goals for him tonight.

General Woolfe
05-18-2018, 12:37 PM
Vital we pick up three points tonight. Ten back of the bottom play off spot we cant afford to slip further behind, no matter what the bravado coming from Vanney & the team says

ensco
05-18-2018, 12:52 PM
So say the doomsday happens and we miss out on playoffs this year....would the accomplishments from last year not be "cheapened" (for lack of a better word) for you guys?
tbh, it would a bit for me.....I'm not one for saying TFC needs to be as good as last year - it would be unreasonable to expect that imo - but injuries or not, playoffs at a bare minimum are an absolute must this year.....

Nope. None of that is right. Sorry, I respect that a lot of people feel this way.... but no way.

This deserves its own thread, it's really bugging me.

You know, when England went out in penalties in 1990, they had a parade for them. When France lost in penalties in 2006, they had a parade for them.

The reward for these guys was to play Chicago 60 hours later on a crap field, and then get the gears when they could only manage a draw.

They were the better team in both those games lost in penalties. Way better.

OK we “lost”. But of all people, WE should undersand what happened, and who we are.

TFC are the two time champions, and Concacaf champions, for me. We didn’t lose the games, we lost the coin flips.

I don’t care that the record book doesn’t show that, or that the general public doesn’t get that.

I think they will win tonight, actually, but I don't “care” what they do tonight, or really any night, for a while.

This group have more than rewarded our undying support, and I feel a glorious buzz just being associated with them, sink or swim. I'll let Vanney/Bez have the nervous breakdowns- I am just going to enjoy a great team.

TFC Tifoso
05-18-2018, 01:17 PM
Nope. None of that is right. Sorry, I respect that a lot of people feel this way.... but no way.

This deserves its own thread, it's really bugging me.

You know, when England went out in penalties in 1990, they had a parade for them. When France lost in penalties in 2006, they had a parade for them.

The reward for these guys was to play Chicago 60 hours later on a crap field, and then get the gears when they could only manage a draw.

They were the better team in both those games lost in penalties. Way better.

OK we “lost”. But of all people, WE should undersand what happened, and who we are.

TFC are the two time champions, and Concacaf champions, for me. We didn’t lose the games, we lost the coin flips.

I don’t care that the record book doesn’t show that, or that the general public doesn’t get that.

I think they will win tonight, actually, but I don't “care” what they do tonight, or really any night, for a while.

This group have more than rewarded our undying support, and I feel a glorious buzz just being associated with them, sink or swim. I'll let Vanney/Bez have the nervous breakdowns- I am just going to enjoy a great team.

I couldn't agree more with everything you say up to "....and who we are."
I was close to tears the night we lost the shootout in the CCL, not because they didn't get the trophy, but for how incredibly proud I was of the team, even in defeat.
Against all odds, they left their balls on the field that night, and win or lose, that is worth all the praise that could be given to them imo.

But just like Giovinco not understanding the presentations at the first home game this year because "this is a new year", I am basing my expectations on what the team expects for themselves.
This isn't a group that went all in for a season with the hope of taking everything then burning the house down; this is a group that made it clear they want to do whatever it takes to be a contender year in, year out for as long as they are together.
And for me, to have the team miss out on the playoffs, when they have such ambitious goals for themselves, it would come off as disappointing.

Graeme
05-18-2018, 01:30 PM
They are certainly digging themselves a big hole, but I don't mind--it will just make it that much more mind-blowingly exciting as they haul themselves out of it over the season.

portu
05-18-2018, 01:52 PM
Nice to see people in the forum coming to their senses re: Ricketts, the guy has tremendous physical attributes but little else.

ensco
05-18-2018, 02:53 PM
I couldn't agree more with everything you say up to "....and who we are."
I was close to tears the night we lost the shootout in the CCL, not because they didn't get the trophy, but for how incredibly proud I was of the team, even in defeat.
Against all odds, they left their balls on the field that night, and win or lose, that is worth all the praise that could be given to them imo.

But just like Giovinco not understanding the presentations at the first home game this year because "this is a new year", I am basing my expectations on what the team expects for themselves.
This isn't a group that went all in for a season with the hope of taking everything then burning the house down; this is a group that made it clear they want to do whatever it takes to be a contender year in, year out for as long as they are together.
And for me, to have the team miss out on the playoffs, when they have such ambitious goals for themselves, it would come off as disappointing.

A reasonable response.

I am not suggesting how the players feel, this is their job. They have to care. They do care, immensely.

I am describing how I feel. I guess I think more supporters should cut them some slack.

TFC Tifoso
05-18-2018, 03:23 PM
A reasonable response.

I am not suggesting how the players feel, this is their job. They have to care. They do care, immensely.

I am describing how I feel. I guess I think more supporters should cut them some slack.

I know they do as well....and that's why I couldn't get why some (thankfully a few, really) were so hard on Bradley for missing the penalty in the CCL shootout.
I was thinking "this man has the heart of a fucking lion to go in and do the job he did in the 90 minutes of that game....how could you get on the guy's case?"

And I can certainly see how you think they should be given more slack, I for one am not ready to say, "this team sucks"....I never will with this group, since I understand the circumstances that have resulted in the slow start....to me its strictly injuries and botched calls, and has nothing to do with laziness, complacency, or anything else.
But regardless of it all, my minimal expectation this year is to make playoffs.

Anyways, I appreciate that we can have this discussion and try to see things from the other side.....

oranje boven
05-18-2018, 06:23 PM
Bradley back in the mid tonight will make a major difference. A welcome back Zav and Mavinga, nice to see them start.

sn0re
05-18-2018, 06:37 PM
How much longer will the inebriatti be sanctioned for?

SirBobSaget
05-18-2018, 06:53 PM
Is Morgan injured? Good for telfer stepping up, heard his interview on coyr podcasts seems like a decent guy.

Graeme
05-18-2018, 06:54 PM
The attack looks pretty great. Plus Delgado, Aketxe and Ricketts off the bench.

James17930
05-18-2018, 07:01 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Ddg8V2VV4AAuPR5.jpg

James17930
05-18-2018, 07:05 PM
I was under the impression Mavinga was going to need sports hernia surgery, so the fact he's back is either great (he's over it for now), or really, really stupid (just prolonging how long he's going to be not playing).

Also stoked that VV seems healthy and I hope he can go the full 90. If we're going to do well tonight Hamilton is going to have to do his best Jozy impression and do it well – we've been sorely missing some good hold-up play recently. But if him and VV can find some good chemistry then we should be able to start turning the corner here.

A little surpised about Telfer over Delgado ... is Marky hurt?

SirBobSaget
05-18-2018, 07:06 PM
Just realized too bad altidore not on the field to get payback on klejstan for tunnel-gate

General Woolfe
05-18-2018, 07:08 PM
Oh no, not Hamilton starting. We need to create ten chances before he’ll get one :facepalm:

Very impotent line up throughout with so many defenders

CBTFC
05-18-2018, 07:12 PM
Well let's see what sort of performance this starting 11 can whip up tonight.

I really just want a better start to this one in the first 20 minutes.

shwade
05-18-2018, 07:19 PM
Morgan is injured?

Tefler has 2 lead feet.

notthesun
05-18-2018, 07:47 PM
Telfer looking like a budget Edwards right now.

T-boy
05-18-2018, 07:51 PM
Morgan is injured?

Tefler has 2 lead feet.

Haha, you are eating your words a little tonight, Telfer is the best TFC player in the first half by a mile! Good for him :)

shwade
05-18-2018, 07:59 PM
Haha, you are eating your words a little tonight, Telfer is the best TFC player in the first half by a mile! Good for him :)

No. He's doing a lot of running and getting forward and his work rate is excellent but that doesnt mean he's the best player. Will Johnson is playing out of position at RB...with as many chances as Tefler is getting I expect an assist or fluke goal..they're leaving him WIDE open.

Not dragging the guy - I mean he is a 4th string rotation player...just a lot of chances that won't go anywhere with our main guys out.

nonc
05-18-2018, 08:00 PM
At least they haven't conceeded yet.

If Millwall played like TFC at home they'd get booed for 90 minutes.

notthesun
05-18-2018, 08:03 PM
This is definitely a grind it out game without Giovinco's creativity up top.

General Woolfe
05-18-2018, 08:06 PM
Who are these imposters and what have they done with my TFC?

A truly pathetic game so far with neither side showing a modicum of skill. TFC are slow, laborious and utterly indecisive. Only Telfer gets pass marks and even he could have done better on occasion. Vazquez is a pale shadow of the man who lit up games last season. Auro & Chapman are mak8ng zero progress down the right Osorio is completely anonymous and Hamilton looks like he’s wearing lead boots. He missed a sitter that would have given us the perfect start, and when com0letely unmarked on the penalty spot turned with the speed of an ocean liner. Even the captain looks indecisive out there, and although the defence has held thus far, they look one slip away from disaster.

Vanney needs to earn his pay pay tonight because we CANNOT afford to drop ANY points tonight. The full three points are a MUST!

Davenport
05-18-2018, 08:14 PM

By a country mile. He's showing Hamilton and Chapman up big time. They are just not good enough. We are awful without Giovinco and Altidore. Giovinco is becoming more selfish and petulant with age. He has to show more maturity for the money he's making.

jloome
05-18-2018, 08:16 PM
Who are these imposters and what have they done with my TFC?

A truly pathetic game so far with neither side showing a modicum of skill. TFC are slow, laborious and utterly indecisive. Only Telfer gets pass marks and even he could have done better on occasion. Vazquez is a pale shadow of the man who lit up games last season. Auro & Chapman are mak8ng zero progress down the right Osorio is completely anonymous and Hamilton looks like he’s wearing lead boots. He missed a sitter that would have given us the perfect start, and when com0letely unmarked on the penalty spot turned with the speed of an ocean liner. Even the captain looks indecisive out there, and although the defence has held thus far, they look one slip away from disaster.

Vanney needs to earn his pay pay tonight because we CANNOT afford to drop ANY points tonight. The full three points are a MUST!

I just can't get mad at a team that has done this well over two years and has this many injuries. Akete looks off the pace so far but he hasn't had a cohesive role in a cohesive team.

Davenport
05-18-2018, 08:20 PM
I just can't get mad at a team that has done this well over two years and has this many injuries. Akete looks off the pace so far but he hasn't had a cohesive role in a cohesive team.

No wonder he's off the pace, Aketxe isn't playing.

General Woolfe
05-18-2018, 08:20 PM
that is so typical of Hamilton. He works himself into a great position, then freezes, he doesn’t know what to do next and the chances is wasted

jloome
05-18-2018, 08:21 PM
No wonder he's off the pace, Aketxe isn't playing.
I meant since we acquired him, smart ass

Couchy81
05-18-2018, 08:27 PM
that is so typical of Hamilton. He works himself into a great position, then freezes, he doesn’t know what to do next and the chances is wasted

He's been poor this season. Can't afford to keep him on if he does this in his time to shine.

... And the sub in timely fashion 5 seconds after I post thankfully

Couchy81
05-18-2018, 08:31 PM
Wow Vazquez what a pass

jloome
05-18-2018, 08:32 PM
Ricketts super sub.

benito
05-18-2018, 08:35 PM
Beautiful pass by Vasquez. Ricketts made a good run and was unfortunate to put it off the post.

Davenport
05-18-2018, 08:38 PM
I meant since we acquired him, smart ass

Oh, thanks for clarifying. I thought you were replying to the comment about tonight's match. If not it was a random comment.

notthesun
05-18-2018, 08:49 PM
Ricketts was onside, that goal should've stood.

Delgado is onside when Bradley attempts the shot. Then Delgado knocks it on and Ricketts is off, but Sane makes a deliberate attempt to play the ball - Ricketts can't be considered offside after that play by Sane. The linesman raised his flag extremely late and once he did that, I don't think it's reviewable anymore.

samuraizero
05-18-2018, 08:52 PM
Why do we have VAR? Seems pointless to me

jloome
05-18-2018, 08:55 PM
Oh, thanks for clarifying. I thought you were replying to the comment about tonight's match. If not it was a random comment.

No, it was a comment on the season as a whole, just as Ensco and numerous others have commented on the season as a whole and why they aren't mad about it.

Couchy81
Well deserved by Telfer. Happy for him.

notthesun
Oh my god what a boss celebration by Telfer hahahaha

benito
Great volley by Telfer

jloome
05-18-2018, 08:56 PM
Man was I ever wrong about Telfer.

benito
05-18-2018, 09:02 PM
Finally!

notthesun
05-18-2018, 09:03 PM
Boy I had the TFC of old heebie-jeebies at the end there. We got it done somehow today.

What a night for Telfer.

Glad I don't have to be pissed about the botched offside/VAR garbage.

daner90
05-18-2018, 09:04 PM
Telfer MOTM

Davenport
05-18-2018, 09:06 PM
Well deserved by Telfer. Happy for him.

Great ball in...and a clinical finish.

Lennon
Telfer is a baller.

Athletic, good crosser, not afraid to run at defenders. What's not to like?

Davenport
Telfer MOTM
Agreed +1

ensco
First time we gutted one out this year in league play. Nice.

General Woolfe
05-18-2018, 09:10 PM
PHHEEEEEWWW!!!

a HUGE 3points,

Great all round performance by Telfer capped off by a superb goal. We still look extremely shaky at the back at times and we’re not clicking going forward, but tonight I’m just grateful for the win

Onwards & Upwards :scarf:

Davenport
05-18-2018, 09:10 PM
No, it was a comment on the season as a whole, just as Ensco and numerous others have commented on the season as a whole and why they aren't mad about it.

I know, it's a long season...and we'll get there, but there was no need for your comment.

Very important win tonight, but we made it very hard for ourselves......When he came on Delgado gave the ball to them more than us.

benito
05-18-2018, 09:13 PM
Good win and hopefully the beginning of a streak.

MLS really needs to improve its implementation of VAR. It seems really inconsistent and doesn’t fix the errors that it is supposed to correct.

Davenport
05-18-2018, 09:15 PM
PHHEEEEEWWW!!!

a HUGE 3points,

Great all round performance by Telfer capped off by a superb goal. We still look extremely shaky at the back at times and we’re not clicking going forward, but tonight I’m just grateful for the win

Onwards & Upwards :scarf:

Our back 4 played really well....they were only shaky because our midfield kept giving the ball away and that put huge pressure on them.

Hamilton_Red
05-18-2018, 09:15 PM
Telfer has arrived. What a game and a clutch finish ...after absolutely beautiful play and set up by Auro. Huge win over a very hot Orlando side. With Alti and Gio we would have won that in a cantor. VAR isn't working.
Van der Viel had another great game so did Mavinga and Zavs. A bit better from Ricketts - hopefully he returns to form soon we need a third option.

Hamilton - I feel bad for him...his confidence seems shot. He didn't look like he is going to do it as a striker in MLS.

Davenport
05-18-2018, 09:16 PM
Good win and hopefully the beginning of a streak.

MLS really needs to improve its implementation of VAR. It seems really inconsistent and doesn’t fix the errors that it is supposed to correct.

It may have even have come off the Orlando defender, so no way was it offside.

CBTFC
05-18-2018, 09:22 PM
See...we get 2 healthy CB's back, Bradley heads up to Midfield and we snag the 3 points.

Make that 2 wins in the past 3 games!

Hamilton_Red
05-18-2018, 09:36 PM
I have really...really had enough of Steven Caldwell. All he could talk about on the Telfer goal was the awful defending - it wasn't awfull defending...it was incredibly good creative play by Vazquez and Auro. No word about the brilliant play by Auro... un-stoppable shot by Telfer.

He was criticizing Vanney for complaining about the wrong offside call. Honestly - I was swearing at the the TV...TSN has got to do better. I'd love for a fellow Scot to be an announcer..but he is on the wrong side.

Couchy81
05-18-2018, 09:48 PM
How many league games have we won with 2 Canadian goal scorers including the game winner? Chapman / Osorio.. Dero + someone? Can't have been many. I like it.

Defoe
05-18-2018, 09:49 PM
Tefler had a game! But damn already 24 eh?

None the less looks like a good winger add to the team.

Shway
05-18-2018, 09:50 PM

Thats a senior draft pick lol

James17930
05-18-2018, 10:06 PM
See...we get 2 healthy CB's back, Bradley heads up to Midfield and we snag the 3 points.

Make that 2 wins in the past 3 games!

Yes, this is key. We couldn't keep going with the lineups we were using and expect to get results.

Also, Telfer looked very confident – hopefully the butterflies of the first few games are behind him now.

Let's keep it going!

EDIT:

I didn't get to see the whole game ... how did Mavinga look by the end? Was he okay or labouring?

ensco
05-18-2018, 10:09 PM
Really really nice 30 minutes for Ricketts too. Denied a goal he deserved, and that was an alert dummy and Chapman's shot - it would have been easy to screw that up.

Canary10
05-18-2018, 10:25 PM
Really really nice 30 minutes for Ricketts too. Denied a goal he deserved, and that was an alert dummy and Chapman's shot - it would have been easy to screw that up.

I said earlier he’d score two. One off the post, leading to a goal, and legitimate one called back. I was close.

I really had fun tonight. I took your advice. Although the win helped a lot.

ensco
05-18-2018, 10:44 PM
I said earlier he’d score two. One off the post, leading to a goal, and legitimate one called back. I was close.

I really had fun tonight. I took your advice. Although the win helped a lot.

Haha so true!

ag futbol
05-18-2018, 10:44 PM
Telfer has arrived. What a game and a clutch finish ...after absolutely beautiful play and set up by Auro. Huge win over a very hot Orlando side.
No that was just bad defending. Cause, you know, some guy ghosting in and hitting it with his left foot on the half volley off a cross just happens all the time in MLS. God Caldwell is a knob.

It’s the soccer commentary version of “it rained every day” and “why try? you’ll just fail anyway.” Then again, if you look at the list of clubs he lauded for, that’s pretty much exactly what happened.

Voodooman
05-18-2018, 11:04 PM
Will Johnson at RB was a disaster. Good thing we capitalized on that.

Also,

RALLY SQUIRREL!!!

Areathrasher
05-18-2018, 11:14 PM
G'wan da Squirrels

stevep
05-18-2018, 11:17 PM
Hamilton was pretty bad tonight to put it politely
Osorio was invisible tonight, he must be tired, this was not a standard Oso performance
people in my section were saying we should have started Rickets, I disagree he is a super sub like Alan Gordon
if you start Alan Gordon he is not very good but as a sub he is the best sub in the history of the league
Rickets is our Alan Gordon, a bit of a poor man's Alan Gordon, but that is still a huge compliment as Gordon is the best.
Telfer's Audi index number for tonights game rival's a great night by Giovinco wow.
i knew Axetxe wouldnt get in the game, can't risk it. not a good sign for aketxe

Auzzy
05-18-2018, 11:35 PM
No that was just bad defending. Cause, you know, some guy ghosting in and hitting it with his left foot on the half volley off a cross just happens all the time in MLS. God Caldwell is a knob.

It’s the soccer commentary version of “it rained every day” and “why try? you’ll just fail anyway.” Then again, if you look at the list of clubs he lauded for, that’s pretty much exactly what happened.

Full volley, in fact. Amazing shot. I'm glad I'm not the only one pissed off by Caldwell's commentary.

pfk
05-18-2018, 11:40 PM
That second half was the TFC of that last two years, even with depleted starters. Telfer had a great game and nice to see him get a goal to win it. Also it was good to Ricketts have a great game as a sub; vintage Ricketts.

We needed these points and I hope the win will give the lads a real confidence boost. Perhaps we can sign that squirrel. He’ll sign for peanuts. Literally.

Lastly, the reffing in the MLS is pure bush league.

magmadragon
05-18-2018, 11:53 PM
Chris here is your new profile pic

https://twitter.com/torontofc/status/997654619953119232

Hamilton_Red
05-19-2018, 12:15 AM

It's amazing how he has ground it out playing in the GTA...working through injuries. Late bloomer a la Terry Dunfield. Every kid playing in Ontario football needs to know that they can make it. You can just tell that Telfer has it after that performance. I just watched the highlight footage and it was all him...literally the first 6 highlight clips he was the star. You can develop into a professional level soccer player working through the competitive ranks of Ontario soccer. If TFC can capitalize on the Ontario youth development system then they stand to be a powerhouse in MLS for the long haul.

Hamilton_Red
05-19-2018, 12:28 AM
That second half was the TFC of that last two years, even with depleted starters. Telfer had a great game and nice to see him get a goal to win it. Also it was good to Ricketts have a great game as a sub; vintage Ricketts.

We needed these points and I hope the win will give the lads a real confidence boost. Perhaps we can sign that squirrel. He’ll sign for peanuts. Literally.

Lastly, the reffing in the MLS is pure bush league.

Full volley, in fact. Amazing shot. I'm glad I'm not the only one pissed off by Caldwell's commentary.

Hamilton was pretty bad tonight to put it politely
Osorio was invisible tonight, he must be tired, this was not a standard Oso performance
people in my section were saying we should have started Rickets, I disagree he is a super sub like Alan Gordon
if you start Alan Gordon he is not very good but as a sub he is the best sub in the history of the league
Rickets is our Alan Gordon, a bit of a poor man's Alan Gordon, but that is still a huge compliment as Gordon is the best.
Telfer's Audi index number for tonights game rival's a great night by Giovinco wow.
i knew Axetxe wouldnt get in the game, can't risk it. not a good sign for aketxe

Ok - you have gone too far. I judge Gordon on how he was for TFC. He's shite - plain an simple. Coming on for 5 minutes and stealing the odd goal...he can piss of.

Red CB Toronto
05-19-2018, 12:55 AM
G'wan da Squirrels

Cheers to the Squirrel and all it brought to the pitch !!

http://www.mcclatchy-wires.com/incoming/qct2dv/picture211486604/alternates/LANDSCAPE_1140/MLS_Orlando_City_Toronto_FC_Soccer_40002.jpg

Canary10
05-19-2018, 05:46 AM

Caldwell was talking about the defender getting beat to the bi-line and the original cross by Auro. He’s right, you should never be beaten like that as a defender. Nice move by Auro nonetheless.

The shot was pure class. To me the most satisfying shot you can pull off in soccer. Hats off to Telfer.

C.Ronaldo
05-19-2018, 08:05 AM

Caldwell is a tool on the mic

ag futbol
05-19-2018, 08:07 AM
It's amazing how he has ground it out playing in the GTA...working through injuries. Late bloomer a la Terry Dunfield. Every kid playing in Ontario football needs to know that they can make it. You can just tell that Telfer has it after that performance. I just watched the highlight footage and it was all him...literally the first 6 highlight clips he was the star. You can develop into a professional level soccer player working through the competitive ranks of Ontario soccer. If TFC can capitalize on the Ontario youth development system then they stand to be a powerhouse in MLS for the long haul.
This is on a night too where there’s no Giovinco and Altidore occupying defenders centrally. They had the luxury of bringing over the second guy once WJ started to struggle without feeling like they’d pay for it and he still tore them to shreds.

Good on him.

C.Ronaldo
05-19-2018, 08:20 AM
Some back round on telfer. played down the street from me for erin mills, never heard of him. Good on bez for finding and keepn him on the down low

Check out @__RobH__’s Tweet: https://twitter.com/__RobH__/status/997797441368936448?s=09

ensco
05-19-2018, 08:25 AM
Ok - you have gone too far. I judge Gordon on how he was for TFC. He's shite - plain an simple. Coming on for 5 minutes and stealing the odd goal...he can piss of.

You do realize that Gordon has 250 games or something, and maybe 5 of them were with TFC? Gordon might well be amongst the 25 best players ever to wear our colours...

He and Jacob Petersen were willing to go on the record about the horrific mgmt situation here, and got villified for it for some reason. They did us a huge favour.

Richard
05-19-2018, 08:28 AM
You do realize that Gordon has 250 games or something, and maybe 5 of them were with TFC? Gordon might well be amongst the 25 best players ever to wear our colours...

He and Jacob Petersen were willing to go on the record about the horrific mgmt situation here, and got villified for it for some reason. They did us a huge favour.

I remember Jacob Petersen, or was it Alan Gordon, talking about how they were "forced" to pass the ball in training to much. What a dumbass comment.

Prof
05-19-2018, 08:32 AM
Auro Jr. was the man of the match and far as I'm concerned the most consistent player on the team so far. There is only one other player on the team who could have reacted, deeked, hugged the line, dribbled and crossed the ball for Teflers winner and he was suspended yesterday.

Fort York Redcoat
05-19-2018, 08:52 AM

Damn right. He was one of the most prolific scorers per minute in those days. And he's enjoyed that wherever he's played.

He also said We, the RPB, were the only good memory he was taking back to California when he was traded. At the time his wife had just had a baby and we gave him an RPB care package with some of our swag.

Canary10
05-19-2018, 08:57 AM
Jacob Petersen I have way less sympathy for. Not only that stupid comment about passing, but he said something shitty about Canada after too.

Canary10
05-19-2018, 09:08 AM
I think I’ve watched the Telfer goal as many times as Jozy’s MLS Cup winning goal by now.

Funny how that game had a bit of a 2012 feeling, animal pitch invasion and all. Felt like we were supporting our hapless guys who no one expects to win. Felt oddly comfortable and familiar.

Red CB Toronto
05-19-2018, 09:39 AM
Its rightt up there will Javier Martina’s volley goal off a goal kick from Frei.

I think I’ve watched the Telfer goal as many times as Jozy’s MLS Cup winning goal by now.

Funny how that game had a bit of a 2012 feeling, animal pitch invasion and all. Felt like we were supporting our hapless guys who no one expects to win. Felt oddly comfortable and familiar.

ensco
05-19-2018, 09:50 AM
Jacob Petersen I have way less sympathy for. Not only that stupid comment about passing, but he said something shitty about Canada after too.

I looked it up. You are right.

That’s a little too much candor.

I thank Alan Gordon only.

jazzy
05-19-2018, 10:05 AM
Tefler in every highlight , humble presence and a beast , he’s deceptively fast and unlike Morrow has good defensive qualities magnificent find , Auro jrs work on Teflers goal was magic . Hamilton cannot start again . Bradley has to be D mid , he’s a rock , Bono when neeeded always there , Ricketts effectiveness is simply a final 15 minute sub , to run ....please TO shoot more , it’s like we want to pass it into the goal crease . But thankfully they didn’t wilt , Canuks didn’t stop .......Squirrel found vistors goal quicker than team .. . Twice ....new mascot

jazzy
05-19-2018, 10:22 AM

Very positive and well said .

Derko
05-19-2018, 10:44 AM
I have really...really had enough of Steven Caldwell. All he could talk about on the Telfer goal was the awful defending - it wasn't awfull defending...it was incredibly good creative play by Vazquez and Auro. No word about the brilliant play by Auro... un-stoppable shot by Telfer.

He was criticizing Vanney for complaining about the wrong offside call. Honestly - I was swearing at the the TV...TSN has got to do better. I'd love for a fellow Scot to be an announcer..but he is on the wrong side.

He is being so neutral that it is biased against TFC. Isn't he supposed to be a home team commentator, so be a homer.

TFC1154ever
05-19-2018, 10:49 AM
Loved the fight, and Telfer was the Motm for me. Vasquez really picked it up in the 2nd half. Only couple of knocks I have is:
1) Delgado has been awful since the champions league final.
2) Bono is a very good keeper but, he is really bad with the ball at his feet. Like... horrible. I lost count how many times he kicked the ball right to a Orlando player.

None the less, huge 3 points, now with Gio and probably Hagglund back against Dallas, we gotta look for 3 more.

Derko
05-19-2018, 10:51 AM
Loved the fight, and Telfer was the Motm for me. Vasquez really picked it up in the 2nd half. Only couple of knocks I have is:
1) Delgado has been awful since the champions league final.
2) Bono is a very good keeper but, he is really bad with the ball at his feet. Like... horrible. I lost count how many times he kicked the ball right to a Orlando player.

None the less, huge 3 points, now with Gio and probably Hagglund back against Dallas, we gotta look for 3 more.

Confidence has totally gone, ala Osorio 2 years ago

ag futbol
05-19-2018, 11:50 AM
His confidence was shot well before that. Like late last year he was in the dumps after playing really well in the early season.

Oldtimer
05-19-2018, 12:06 PM
Damn right. He was one of the most prolific scorers per minute in those days. And he's enjoyed that wherever he's played.

He also said We, the RPB, were the only good memory he was taking back to California when he was traded. At the time his wife had just had a baby and we gave him an RPB care package with some of our swag.

Gordon is one of the all time best character players in MLS. It's impossible to read "the Beckham Experiment" and not come away with tonnes of respect for him.

How he dealt with the toxic environment that surrounded TFC at that time just adds to my respect.

As a player now, he's older and can't last even a half, but for the last 20 minutes of a game he can be lethal.

magmadragon
05-19-2018, 01:22 PM
The play on the 2nd goal notwithstanding, Auro needs to move forward when he has the ball. Far too many times he would just stand around. Play like a wingback dammit. Also why does everyone not want to take a shot? Seems we keep trying to walk in it on way too many occasions.

TFC1154ever
05-19-2018, 01:47 PM
The play on the 2nd goal notwithstanding, Auro needs to move forward when he has the ball. Far too many times he would just stand around. Play like a wingback dammit. Also why does everyone not want to take a shot? Seems we keep trying to walk in it on way too many occasions.

Because other than Aketxe, none of our midfielders are good ball strikers. The only one who might be is Chapman, but I haven’t seen enough of him to have a verdict yet.

Another note on Auro. I like him, he’s had some great matches, but he’s also had some bad ones. Game to game player. Thought he was good last night. The only problem I have with him, is that when he has to defend in the box, he is HORRIBLE in the air. Yes I know he’s short, but as a short player, you need to know how to angle yourself to make it hard for an attacking player to head. Morrow is quiet good at it, Auro is not. Go look back at some of our games, he gets beat in the box a lot, and it has cost us goals.

General Woolfe
05-19-2018, 04:27 PM
I’ll take my humble pie for saying the new signings should be shipped to TFC II as soon as the injury crisis clears. Telfer might well be a replacement for Edwards. Can’t agree it was a defensive masterclass tonight. The goal we gave up was terrible with two Orlando players left unmarked on the left of the box. I’ll put it down to rustiness and hope the coming weeks see us get more players back building greater solidity.

As for Caldwell’s commentary, you have to wonder with the great players we’ve had over the years it’s two duffers Caldwell and Dunfield who get the commentary jobs, surely we can do much better?

General Woolfe
05-19-2018, 04:32 PM
Because other than Aketxe, none of our midfielders are good ball strikers. The only one who might be is Chapman, but I haven’t seen enough of him to have a verdict yet.

Another note on Auro. I like him, he’s had some great matches, but he’s also had some bad ones. Game to game player. Thought he was good last night. The only problem I have with him, is that when he has to defend in the box, he is HORRIBLE in the air. Yes I know he’s short, but as a short player, you need to know how to angle yourself to make it hard for an attacking player to head. Morrow is quiet good at it, Auro is not. Go look back at some of our games, he gets beat in the box a lot, and it has cost us goals.
Sorry but despite that great cross for the winning goal I’m unconvinced with Auro. I’d much rather have Hasler at RB. Auro has a bad habit of slowing th8 gas down. In attack and more often than not prefers recycling the ball into midfield that hitting the byline and putting over a cross. His positional play defensively is also extremely poor at time. He is good at transitioning defence to attack, but that’s about it. Hasler is a far better crosser of the ball and can at least track players defensively. Personally I wish we’d retained Beta for another season and then the money spent on Auro & VDW (& Aketxe) could have gone on a decent 3rd striker to provide cover/competition for Seba & Jozy

TFC1154ever
05-19-2018, 05:47 PM
Sorry but despite that great cross for the winning goal I’m unconvinced with Auro. I’d much rather have Hasler at RB. Auro has a bad habit of slowing th8 gas down. In attack and more often than not prefers recycling the ball into midfield that hitting the byline and putting over a cross. His positional play defensively is also extremely poor at time. He is good at transitioning defence to attack, but that’s about it. Hasler is a far better crosser of the ball and can at least track players defensively. Personally I wish we’d retained Beta for another season and then the money spent on Auro & VDW (& Aketxe) could have gone on a decent 3rd striker to provide cover/competition for Seba & Jozy

That’s fair. I agree Beitashour is a ton better defensively, but I think Auro is better getting forward, beating his man, and whipping in a good cross. I agree he slows it down a little to often for my liking. All in all, I think I’d rather have Beitashour, but only a bit more. If it was a lot cheaper on the cap, then understood why they let him go and went with Auro or GVW, who we haven’t seen a lot from him at RWB. He may be a permanent CB. He been really good.

MightyDM
05-20-2018, 03:20 AM
Any update on why Morgan wasn't even on the bench? And that offside shows why they should really limit VAR. It cannot be used to review incorrect offside calls that rule out a goal, only where an offside goal is scored. Affects competitive balance. Should just be for penalties, where game is already stopped.

portu
05-20-2018, 04:06 AM
Any update on why Morgan wasn't even on the bench? And that offside shows why they should really limit VAR. It cannot be used to review incorrect offside calls that rule out a goal, only where an offside goal is scored. Affects competitive balance. Should just be for penalties, where game is already stopped.
I think I heard Wileman say something about Morgan tweaking a hamstring early on in the broadcast?

reggie
05-20-2018, 11:23 AM
TFC have really been hamstrung this season:D:scarf:

Canary10
05-20-2018, 11:46 AM
TFC have really been hamstrung this season:D:scarf:

Wah wah.

MightyDM
05-20-2018, 03:29 PM
Thanks portu and nicely played reggie

Auzzy
05-22-2018, 10:37 PM
Ryan Telfer is up for Goal of the Week, currently 2nd place. ALL of the other candidates are long-range shots; Telfer's goal is more interesting IMO due to Auro's nice buildup & of course the volley to finish. Plus a game-winning goal in the last 5 minutes.

Let's give it a vote!
https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2018/05/21/vote-goal-week-week-12