PDA

View Full Version : The globe and mail idiots.

adampz
08-02-2008, 10:46 AM
So i was reading the globe and mail this morning and saw something called "Dozen On the Dial". Its basically the top 12 sporting events to watch this week chosen by Jeff Brooke.

The TFC game is the number ninth, and it says " The major league soccer team in Dallas goes by the name FC Dallas. Toronto's team is called Toronto FC. How do the marketing wizards do it? Lets hope the action at BMO field in Toronto is more dynamic".

To me it seems like north american media just gets even more ignorant when it comes to footy as time passes.

Cambridge_Red
08-02-2008, 11:18 AM
They'll always have this point of view as outsiders because they're too proud to admit that they are completely fuckin ignorant. So hence the stupid pot shots. I don't read the papers in Canada for footy opinion because they're pretty shite for the most part with a few exceptions.

Carts
08-02-2008, 11:21 AM
People love to be critics about stuff they don't understand...

Rather than making an effort to understand, or accepting the difference in football, they choose to be-little it...

IMO - the editor who cleared such a comment should be held accountable, because it shows how ignorant Jeff Brooke is...

Brooke should be pissed to - this exposes a sports writer for knowing little to nothing about one of the sporting events in Toronto...

Carts...

King Jeff
08-02-2008, 11:23 AM
Don't they make smart-ass comments in the summary for basically every single event? It's part of the column.

Anyway, who really cares.

justin
08-02-2008, 11:23 AM
he'd probably prefer it if we were called the toronto superkicks or some shit

Cambridge_Red
08-02-2008, 11:24 AM
Didn't the CFL have two rough rider teams at one point ?? ;)

Carts
08-02-2008, 11:29 AM

Well said!

And major league baseball has the great name of...
Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim

Carts...

grimm
08-02-2008, 11:31 AM
IMO- the editor probably doesn't give a shit as they probably have 90 writers waiting somewhere in sweden for sundin to fart, or do anything they can print..... "today Mats took his dog for a walk, then washed his car, I'm going to take that as something a hab would do!"
signed, every reporter in the canadian press.

Red CB Toronto
08-02-2008, 11:35 AM
The Rough Riders situation came out of two leagues merging, you had the Big Four in eastern Canada and the WFU in Western Canada playing as seperate leagues and then they came together.

FluSH
08-02-2008, 11:38 AM
So i was reading the globe and mail this morning and saw something called "Dozen On the Dial". Its basically the top 12 sporting events to watch this week chosen by Jeff Brooke.

The TFC game is the number ninth, and it says " The major league soccer team in Dallas goes by the name FC Dallas. Toronto's team is called Toronto FC. How do the marketing wizards do it? Lets hope the action at BMO field in Toronto is more dynamic".

To me it seems like north american media just gets even more ignorant when it comes to footy as time passes.

Now is the time to DRILL these bananas that FC is not a NICKNAME!!!!

Cambridge_Red
08-02-2008, 11:38 AM
Then Ottawa got a team again (which again folded) with the same name. Maybe they should try a different name so it's not confusing for us :)

Redcoe15
08-02-2008, 11:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambridge_Red http://www.redpatchboys.ca/forums/images/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.redpatchboys.ca/forums/showthread.php?p=118562#post118562)

Well said!

And major league baseball has the great name of...
Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim

Carts...

And don't forget the Mighty Ducks of Anaheim! :prrr:

I think it's just better to laugh at mental midgets like Brooke than to get angry at them. :smilielol5:

redcard
08-02-2008, 12:21 PM
Now is the time to DRILL these bananas that FC is not a NICKNAME!!!!

I think TFC should be educating these idiots as what the team name is and that the nickname is 'the reds' not 'the FC'

Steve-Tor
08-02-2008, 01:30 PM
The Rough Riders situation came out of two leagues merging, you had the Big Four in eastern Canada and the WFU in Western Canada playing as seperate leagues and then they came together.

I never knew that.

You learn something every day:)

reggie
08-02-2008, 01:54 PM
to him i say....FU or Foff which ever one you want....

James Oliphant
08-02-2008, 01:54 PM
I'm not sure I care.

Draracle
08-02-2008, 02:03 PM
we should have some banners that say "Toronto Football Club", instead of "TFC" or "Toronto FC". Maybe then the light will turn on in some ignorant minds. Just a though for the next time someone makes a banner.

or drop hints to other fans, teams, and mls, to put f.c. or s.c. after their name; like Seattle did.

Richard D
08-02-2008, 02:55 PM
And someone should tell him that more than 1 leaf are called 'LEAVES', not leafs...

I hope he eats shit and dies...lol

The team should emphasize being called the TORONTO REDS in the media...

boban
08-02-2008, 03:01 PM
And someone should tell him that more than 1 leaf are called 'LEAVES', not leafs...

No they shouldn't.

Draracle
08-02-2008, 03:29 PM

Actually, "Leafs" is correct. It is just used far less in our everyday writing.

SweetOwnGoal
08-02-2008, 03:46 PM
Then Ottawa got a team again (which again folded) with the same name. Maybe they should try a different name so it's not confusing for us :)

Ottawa's second go around in the CFL was as the Renegades.

And this thread is example 1A of why some NA soccer fans need to gain some perspective. Act like we've arrived and stop taking offense at EVERYTHING. It's embarrassing.

James Oliphant
08-02-2008, 03:51 PM

And this thread is example 1A of why some NA soccer fans need to gain some perspective. Act like we've arrived and stop taking offense at EVERYTHING. It's embarrassing.

Well said.

Dunc
08-02-2008, 06:25 PM
Last year they called it the FC derby... so i'm going to let this one slide.

ExiledRed
08-02-2008, 06:30 PM
The irony is, is that simply calling the team Toronto FC was maybe the best marketing move of the year.

The writer is a fucktard however

"What? TWO FCs? that makes no sense at all! That's like having a Toronto Maple Leafs and a Vancouver Maple leafs isnt it? My head hurts"

RedLion
08-02-2008, 06:43 PM
The irony is, is that simply calling the team Toronto FC was maybe the best marketing move of the year.

The writer is a fucktard however

"What? TWO FCs? that makes no sense at all! That's like having a Toronto Maple Leafs and a Vancouver Maple leafs isnt it? My head hurts"

Agree about the part I've bolded.

Can't comment on the rest - not sufficiently interested to be arsed reading the article to find out if I agree, but I agree with the point you're making.

ilikemusic
08-02-2008, 06:51 PM
They'll always have this point of view as outsiders because they're too proud to admit that they are completely fuckin ignorant. So hence the stupid pot shots. I don't read the papers in Canada for footy opinion because they're pretty shite for the most part with a few exceptions.

This.

Though to be honest, unless youre a real dedicated fan (like most on here I presume) watching on television is almost unbearable.

Though I do think that FC Dallas is an absolutely retarded name.

Putting FC first is a French/Spanish/Italian/not-english way of arranging words. FC Dallas has always been the worst attempt at a European name in the whole league (yes, even worse than Real Salt Lake).

Blizzard
08-02-2008, 07:00 PM

You mean like the Renegades?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ottawa_Renegades

Blizzard
08-02-2008, 07:05 PM
This.

Though to be honest, unless youre a real dedicated fan (like most on here I presume) watching on television is almost unbearable.

Though I do think that FC Dallas is an absolutely retarded name.

Putting FC first is a French/Spanish/Italian/not-english way of arranging words. FC Dallas has always been the worst attempt at a European name in the whole league (yes, even worse than Real Salt Lake).

It makes perfect sense. More than 35% of the Texas population is Hispanic or Latino. In Dallas, it is nearly 38%. For the population demographic of Texas, it was a good marketing move.

I_AM_CANADIAN
08-02-2008, 07:18 PM
Better than "Dallas Burn", anyway...

And the Globe generally have good sportswriters and coverage of TFC, but this guy is some kind of idiot.

Carts
08-02-2008, 07:42 PM
Thinking about this idiot who wrote the article, and the example of bad marketing in MLB with the beauty name of 'Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim' I came up with a thought...

Now, he never said that Major League Baseball was a great marketer, he never mentions them at all - but since we're a marketing joke and baseball isn't, I guess everyone should adopt the 'Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim' philosophy and have their hometown in their name...

How many are out there?

In the NHL we have...
Ottawa Senators of Kanata
Dallas Stars of Irving
Los Angeles Kings of El Segundo
Phoenix Coyotes of Scottsdale
San Jose Sharks of Santa Clara

Weird how many city named teams, don't play in their city core... Happens in all sports will land available for stadiums, but if all teams were named like that - that would be a marketing flop/disaster!

Carts...

Blizzard
08-02-2008, 07:45 PM
Better than "Dallas Burn", anyway...

And the Globe generally have good sportswriters and coverage of TFC, but this guy is some kind of idiot.

Ya Millson does a very good job.

alexintoronto
08-02-2008, 08:05 PM
I'm not sure I care.
Deadbeat!

:canada:

GBV
08-02-2008, 08:19 PM
Actually, "Leafs" is correct. It is just used far less in our everyday writing.

so the plural of "leaf" is "leafs" and not "leaves?"

ahem. i missed that lesson. do tell.

GBV
08-02-2008, 08:20 PM
leaf (lhttp://img.tfd.com/hm/GIF/emacr.giff)n. pl. leaves (lhttp://img.tfd.com/hm/GIF/emacr.gifvz)

CretanBull
08-02-2008, 08:41 PM
leafs isn't plural of leaf, it's the verb form - like "as the tree leafs, it requires more water".

Cambridge_Red
08-02-2008, 08:44 PM
You mean like the Renegades?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ottawa_Renegades

Touche ;)

Cambridge_Red
08-02-2008, 08:48 PM

Fair play to you and taboo on my ignorance. Thought you may find this interesting though.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ottawa_Rough_Riders

"Football fans in Ottawa lived without CFL football for the next five years until 2002 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2002), when the city regained a CFL team, this one called the Renegades (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ottawa_Renegades). Although there was sentiment toward resurrecting the Rough Riders name, the final owner of the previous franchise expected payment for the rights to it; the new franchise declined the request, and went with a 'fresh' name for the new team. Since the suspension of the Renegades for the 2006 season, and the tentative awarding of a new franchise (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ottawa_CFL) for 2010, owner Jeff Hunt has shown some interest in purchasing the rights to the Rough Riders name."

So clearly I wasn't too far off the mark was I? I agree though we probably should just put up with the bullshit eh?

ExiledRed
08-02-2008, 10:02 PM
Thinking about this idiot who wrote the article, and the example of bad marketing in MLB with the beauty name of 'Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim' I came up with a thought...

Now, he never said that Major League Baseball was a great marketer, he never mentions them at all - but since we're a marketing joke and baseball isn't, I guess everyone should adopt the 'Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim' philosophy and have their hometown in their name...

How many are out there?

In the NHL we have...
Dallas Stars of Irving

Weird how many city named teams, don't play in their city core... Happens in all sports will land available for stadiums, but if all teams were named like that - that would be a marketing flop/disaster!

Carts...

Actually, the Houston Dynamo of San Jose has a ring to it..... Or should it be the San Jose Earthquakes of Houston?

Danbwoy
08-02-2008, 10:11 PM
Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim isn't a marketing ploy. The new owners wanted to change the name to the Los Angeles Angels, but the previous owners had an agreement with the city of Anaheim to keep the city in the team name based on the stadium deal or something.. so rather than just keeping the name the same, the wizards at the Angels decided to change the name anyways and then tack the Anaheim part on the end.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Los_Angeles_Angels_of_Anaheim#The_team_renamed:_Lo s_Angeles_Angels_of_Anaheim

dantdot
08-02-2008, 10:12 PM
http://www.globesports.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20080802.wsptdozen2/GSStory/GlobeSports/home

It's online now, feel free to vent your rage.

mlsintoronto
08-03-2008, 09:07 AM
Toronto FC of Parkdale

SLBuu
08-03-2008, 09:10 AM
^^ HAHA love it

grimm
08-03-2008, 09:38 AM
Ilikemusic may have the greatest avatar in the history of msg boards! "playoffs? playofs???"
ah sweet sweet Jimmy Mora!

adampz
08-03-2008, 12:01 PM
Houston dynamo, its more traditional then you think, what about dinamo zagreb, dynamo kiev , and dinamo bucuresti.

egoodwin
08-03-2008, 01:59 PM

How many are out there?

In the NHL we have...
Dallas Stars of Irving

Carts...
Carts,

You missed the Shite Bulls

Not only are they wrong city, they're wrong state

I_AM_CANADIAN
08-04-2008, 09:16 AM
leafs isn't plural of leaf, it's the verb form - like "as the tree leafs, it requires more water".
*sigh*

The story is, Conn Smythe was an army major, and he named the team after a WWI unit called the Maple Leafs.

Shakes McQueen
08-04-2008, 11:10 AM

How many are out there?

In the NHL we have...
Dallas Stars of Irving

Carts...

Irving is actually located in Dallas County, and is part of the Dallas/Fort Worth Metroplex.

Also, the Dallas Cowboys play in Irving as well.

- Scott