PDA

View Full Version : Other MLS Games This Weekend - May 5 - 6th

OgtheDim
05-04-2018, 06:21 AM
Condensed versions of all MLS games are now available for free via the MLS app.

Saturday

NER @ Montreal 1pm - Garde seems to be busy creating excuses. NER plays a more refined pressing game now, akin to the EPL circa 2009. The flaw in their game is the space behind the WB's. Too bad Garde seems to have ticked off every one of his outside players with speed.
2-1 for NER
Why watch this game? We play NER in a week.

NYC @ NYRB 1:55pm
Game of the Week
Love me a Hudson River derby. A true derby where the teams don't really like each other much. Two good teams offensively with lots of firepower. Defence is an issue for the Pigeons and that will be the difference in this game.
3-1 for NYRB
Why watch this game? If NYC or NYRB are to be real contenders, they have to get through each other. The stakes are high in this game.

Vancouver @ Minnesota 2pm
The Loons have been decimated by injuries. The Caps have been decimated by bad management practices. A great game if this was 2009 MLS. The x factor here is Quintero. He will make the difference.
2-0 for Minnesota
Why watch the highlights of this game? Not worth the full 90. The odd technical adeptness & likely red card infraction will keep your attention span for about 20 minutes.

FCD @ LAFC 3:55pm
Dallas put up a decent game for the first 60 minutes against NYC but couldn't sustain their passing in that band box. This week will be different. LAFC's defence is slow everywhere but Beitashour. This will be exploited.
2-1 for Dallas
Why watch this game? Intricate offensive maneuvers everywhere but not necessarily getting goals

Columbus @ Seattle 4pm
Two teams that have looked less then convincing. After a week spent trying to back track remarks about Seattle being a contender, the home team is under pressure to get a result. Columbus doesn't need this win & with 2 home games against eastern opponents in the following 7 days, I think they mail this one in.
3-0 for Seattle
Why watch the highlights of this game? We play Seattle on Wednesday

Atlanta @ Chicago 8:30pm
The team we steamrollered through for 60 minutes is not going to be able to handle Atlanta for 90. The 5 stripes tend to come on late and devour defences. Same again, especially against that slow midfield.
4-1 for Atlanta
Why watch this game? Almiron has been the MVP - he's worth the price of admission

LAG @ Houston 8:30pm
Zlatan meets Texas heat. After the euphoria of the derby game, LAG has returned to form. Houston isn't really that good either. Sure some goals will be scored but this is not going to be a great game to watch.
1-1 draw
Why watch the highlights of this game? The panther & Zlatan - somebody is going to do something

Colorado @ SKC 8:30pm
STINKER OF THE WEEK
SKC has injury problems up front & has problems scoring goals when not up by a man. Still, they shouldn't have issues with a Colorado team that just isn't all that good.
3-1 for SKC
Why watch the highlights of this game? If you are a deep nerd about MLS trends, watching Vermes move from pressing to defence and back to pressing is kinda intriguing

Portland @ San Jose 10:30pm
Two teams that have looked horrid for most of the season but now going in different directions. SJE hasn't won since week 1 & lacks identity - Portland seems to have turned things around in the last couple of games with an offensive spark. Look for that to continue
2-0 for Portland
Why watch this game? If you are into vim and vigour, this is your match.

Sunday

RSL @ Orlando 5pm
Orlando is on a five game win streak. RSL is up and down and up and down putting nothing sustained together in terms of results. Not much should change this week. RSL just isn't good enough in defence or attack to keep Orlando down for a whole game in Orlando.
3-1 for the home team
Why watch this game? Orlando has been winning but has flaws that hopefully we can exploit this month.

OgtheDim
05-05-2018, 02:11 PM
Montreal got it right - used speed behind the wings on the counter

Watch for us next week to go back to a 3-5-2 against NER.

Fort York Redcoat
05-05-2018, 02:27 PM
Montreal got it right - used speed behind the wings on the counter

Watch for us next week to go back to a 3-5-2 against NER.

What a day for Jackson and good for Raheem!

OgtheDim
05-05-2018, 03:33 PM
Beitashour scores - only his 3rd goal ever. Took it well too.

LAFC has sold out its stadium for the whole of the stadium but a 1 pm game is guaranteed to have a lot of no shows - half full.

ag futbol
05-05-2018, 04:20 PM
What a day for Jackson and good for Raheem!
Everyone can thank Piatti for the that game, he was absolutely prolific.

CBTFC
05-05-2018, 06:30 PM
Tuned in to the last 20 or so minutes of Seattle vs Columbus. Despite being a man up, the Sounders couldn't put one by Steffan. He had a solid save against Dempsey.

I think Seattle have really declined, despite meeting us in the Final the past 2 years.

Auzzy
05-05-2018, 07:08 PM
Tuned in to the last 20 or so minutes of Seattle vs Columbus. Despite being a man up, the Sounders couldn't put one by Steffan. He had a solid save against Dempsey.

I think Seattle have really declined, despite meeting us in the Final the past 2 years.

I only watched a little bit live, but then saw the highlights. Wow. Seattle up a man for 75 minutes but can't score. I know it can be tough to break down a team that is bunkering a man down, but it was much more than that. Seattle had way more shots, but fewer shots on target. Beyond that, Columbus was not only bunkering; I felt they actually had far more bona-fide chances than Seattle. Most came off counter-attacks, but based on the dangerous threats on goal, Columbus actually should have won that game easily. Columbus was wasteful with many of their best chances, and most didn't even lead to a shot on goal.

I hope TFC ignores all that & puts petal to the metal on Wednesday.

OgtheDim
05-05-2018, 09:40 PM
Still not impressed with Atlanta's defence - don't give away stupid balls & they are very beatable.

Fort York Redcoat
05-06-2018, 02:19 AM
Beitashour scores - only his 3rd goal ever. Took it well too.

LAFC has sold out its stadium for the whole of the stadium but a 1 pm game is guaranteed to have a lot of no shows - half full.

Beita and Urruti with great goals.

Oldtimer
05-06-2018, 06:12 AM
4-0 for NYRB. Viera says he would have changed 10 players at the half if he could. Ouch.

Fort York Redcoat
05-06-2018, 12:21 PM
4-0 for NYRB. Viera says he would have changed 10 players at the half if he could. Ouch.

Those were some incredible highlights. Bridge and Tunnel wins the derby day.

SoccMan2
05-06-2018, 05:57 PM
Orlando about to win their 6th. in a row versus RSL today, so many improved teams in the east so far , TFC need to start getting a few more players back from injury to start their climb back to the top in the east. Anyone know who the two English guys who seem to call a lot of the MLS games on the DAZN are? I’m guessing they are in England calling the game from a studio.

OgtheDim
05-07-2018, 06:18 AM
That's a crew for Sky. The colour guy often has a tenuous attachment to MLS - the one for the NY derby had played with Rochester for a season.

C.Ronaldo
05-07-2018, 08:50 AM
Everyone can thank Piatti for the that game, he was absolutely prolific.

He is so damn good, then he has days where his game goes next level and is unstoppable.

Wish he was on a less bag of shit team. He would easily help put over a team that was a few wins away from the the shield / cup

Hes 33 and I really dont see much of a slow down yet