PDA

View Full Version : Today's News,Saturday, Aug.02

denime
08-02-2008, 07:52 AM
Patience pays off for TFC's Barrett
LARRY MILLSON

TORONTO — When the Olympics are finished and defender Marvell Wynne returns from Beijing, Toronto FC will have two starters who have come through UCLA's productive soccer program.
So at least Chad Barrett, 23, who made his first appearance with Toronto FC at a training session Friday, is not joining a totally unfamiliar group.
A trade that sent the Major League Soccer rights of former Fulham captain Brian McBride, a striker, to his hometown Chicago Fire for Barrett and a first-round draft pick became known a week ago.
But the final details took time to complete, including a two-year contract for McBride to play for the Fire, and the deal was not announced until Wednesday.
“It has taken a bit of patience to get to this point, but I'm glad I'm finally here and had a good first session with the guys,” Barrett said Friday.
He found the waiting “a little bit annoying.”

Read more (http://www.globesports.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20080801.torfc02/GSStory/GlobeSportsSoccer/home)

Fan up in arms over Toronto FC playing musical chairs
Morgan Campbell

When the MLS all-star game came to BMO Field last week, Toronto FC season ticket holder Frank Garzelli settled into his normal seats – northwest corner, section 126, second row.
Except this time he was four rows from the action.
To accommodate the overflow crowd, TFC installed two rows of field-level chairs directly in front of Garzelli's section.
But he and his BMO Field neighbours aren't as upset about the presence of the extra seats as they are that the team never gave season ticket holders the chance to upgrade. After all, Garzelli said, he paid to sit in the second row.
Garzelli said the team told him last week the seats were temporary. But then, he says, a TFC official told him on Thursday that the seats are there to stay and that the team would consider allowing Garzelli to purchase them as season tickets next year at a higher price.
The situation has Garzelli and other season ticket holders in section 126 angry enough to take action.
"Our tickets say row two, so why are we sitting in row four?" said Garzelli, who paid about $2,000 for his season seats. "Now you come to us saying, `Sorry, screw you, loyal fan and paying customer."

Read more (http://www.thestar.com/Sports/Soccer/article/471570)

Toronto FC to throw Barrett into fire
By STEVE BUFFERY (steve.buffery@sunmedia.ca), SUN MEDIA

Toronto FC coach John Carver will throw former Chicago Fire striker Chad Barrett right into the fire tomorrow against FC Dallas.
Barrett, who was acquired by TFC from Chicago along with a 2009 first-round draft pick on Wednesday for Brian McBride, will face Dallas tomorrow afternoon at BMO Field, a game that Carver calls crucial.
Toronto FC has a 6-7-4 record (fifth in the East), but haven't won an MLS contest since a 3-1 victory at home against the Colorado Rapids on June 14, and have only scored three goals in their past five outings.

"No matter how we do it, I want to win this game," Carver said. "Whether it's a scruffy game, a dirty game, as in not very attractive to the eye, then I'll settle for that. As long as we get three points. We've not had a win for a while now and we need to get back on track. We need to get back to our winning ways at home and pick up something on the road."

Read more (http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Soccer/TorontoFC/2008/08/02/6334826-sun.html)

Toronto FC welcomes Chad Barrett to town
John F. Molinaro

For Toronto FC, striker Chad Barrett is a sight for sore eyes.
Barrett landed in Toronto and trained with his new teammates for the first time Friday morning since being acquired in a trade with the Chicago Fire earlier this week.
The 23-year-old led the Fire in scoring this season with five goals, and his arrival in Toronto could not have come at a better time — the Canadian club is mired in a five-game winless streak (its last win coming on June 14) and has only scored three goals during that run.
Barrett believes he can help Toronto turn things around.
"It's a big change for me because I spent four years in Chicago, but I'm ready to come here and to do well with this team and make a life in this city. I'm very happy to be here, and you're going to get 100 per cent out of me every game," Barrett told reporters Friday afternoon.

Read more (http://www.cbc.ca/sports/soccer/story/2008/08/01/chad-barrett.html)

New striker knows why Toronto FC hired him
'To Score Goals'; Barrett should be in lineup against FC Dallas
Eric Koreen, National Post

TORONTO - Chad Barrett, Toronto FC's newest striker, likes to get things done quickly.
Take, for example, the 23-year-old's search for a home in Toronto.
"I've been in the city for like 12 hours," Barrett said yesterday at his first practice with the team. "Give me another hour."
And that helps explain why the last few weeks have been especially frustrating for Barrett, a native of Beaverton, Ore., home of Nike headquarters.
Barrett was officially traded to TFC from the Chicago Fire on Wednesday, along with a first-round pick, for the rights to 36-year-old American striker Brian McBride.
But the deal did not materialize overnight. TFC and Chicago had been haggling over the correct price for McBride, who left English side Fulham in late May, hoping to return to the U. S. and finish his career with Chicago. McBride grew up in the Chicago suburb of Arlington Heights.

Read more (http://www.nationalpost.com/sports/story.html?id=696478)

SUNSHINE (http://www.torontosun.com/SUNshineGirl/home.html) :noidea:

Batman
08-02-2008, 08:05 AM
I know it's MLSE, but when this team is raking in probably 50% more money than they expected, why do they have to scrounge for other sources of revenue? Clearly they are making a very good profit, and they probably had no expectation of profit for a few years when they started out... so why force in more seats at the risk of pissing off the fans that have been there all along.

Are we going to see extra rows of prawn eaters in front of the south stand too?

greatwhitenorf
08-02-2008, 08:24 AM
They'll only eat the prawns thrown at them from behind. Kinda like room service.

mclaren
08-02-2008, 08:25 AM
Interesting story about the seats and being in the 2nd row - didn't this happen with the Raptors recently also?

greatwhitenorf
08-02-2008, 08:31 AM
Is it really that big a deal? They put tables with four bar-stools as seats down the front of the east side, costing buyers $12,000 per table per season, and no one raised the slightest fuss.

Now some petty whiner comes along and, as usual, the Star tries to inflate some minor matter into a major issue.

If TFC can sell the seats and make even more money, good for them. Yet another example of how demand for soccer seats keeps growing. Bet the Argos wish they had this problem.

olegunnar
08-02-2008, 08:38 AM
Is it really that big a deal? They put tables with four bar-stools as seats down the front of the east side, costing buyers $12,000 per table per season, and no one raised the slightest fuss.

Now some petty whiner comes along and, as usual, the Star tries to inflate some minor matter into a major issue.

If TFC can sell the seats and make even more money, good for them. Yet another example of how demand for soccer seats keeps growing. Bet the Argos wish they had this problem.

It's a bit of an issue in my opinion. NEE, unlike other groups wasn't giftwrapped a section. They started from scratch and have been spreading. The first 6 rows of 126 now stand the whole game now (half seasons packs), in addition to all of 127.

My question is, will this new prawn brigade complain about language and noise streamers etc. since it will interupt their discussions about iphones and golf.

There's a big difference between putting bar tables in from of the east side, and putting prawners right infront of a organically growing supporters section.

Just my opinion though.

Azerban
08-02-2008, 08:42 AM
waaaaa i paid for second row and now i'm in the fourth row even though it's only technically and i'm exactly the same distance away as i was before waaaaa

CoachGT
08-02-2008, 08:51 AM
Interesting story about the seats and being in the 2nd row - didn't this happen with the Raptors recently also?

Yes, it did, but the difference is some guy paid for a seat license and was told he would always have first row. His tickets cost over $90,000, and now he has a lawsuit against the Raptors, because he was specifically told that he'd have front row seats. They offered him the upgrade (for more money), but he said that wasn't what his ticket license had said.

Don't know how that has come out - it'll probably take a while if it is in the courts.

JDG
08-02-2008, 08:55 AM
I added my comment. It's being moderated at the moment.
Essentially I don't like the guys attitude. He's an opportunistic twit in my opinion.
His attitude reeks of the American policy of suing anyone you can if there is a chance for a few bucks.
His view has not been obstructed in any way. He did not pay extra for the second row, his price is based on the section.
As Paul says in the article, if they become permanent, they will become available to season ticket holders for relocation before they go to the people on the waiting list.
If this guy was one of the first to buy, he'll get an early opportunity. If he bought later, and got second row because 126 didn't fill as fast as some sections, then he may be out of luck.
There is no reason why this guy should feel entitled to first crack at those seats.

This isn't the same as the Raptors, because the people that bought at the ACC did in fact pay a premium to be courtside.

bdrs
08-02-2008, 09:02 AM
I know it's MLSE, but when this team is raking in probably 50% more money than they expected, why do they have to scrounge for other sources of revenue? Clearly they are making a very good profit, and they probably had no expectation of profit for a few years when they started out... so why force in more seats at the risk of pissing off the fans that have been there all along.

QFT!

Eastend
08-02-2008, 09:24 AM
I added my comment. It's being moderated at the moment.

It has been added. Very nice.

My row and ticket say row 6 but I am in the first row of my section. Should I be worried that they will remove the handycap seating and the walkway so that 5 more rows will be added to the front of my section? :taz:

I_AM_CANADIAN
08-02-2008, 09:31 AM
I doubt any of the "prawn sandwich eaters" would like to sit right in front of the north end... They're used to having the entire lower bowl to themselves at the ACC, it's too close for comfort, you know?

Carts
08-02-2008, 09:32 AM
Fan up in arms over Toronto FC playing musical chairs

The field level seats don't get in anyone's way - I have to say this complaint sounds like a spoiled whiner (sorry to that person)...

I sat in the field level seats at the all-star game. At halftime while speaking with JC (name drop!) I wasn't event the height of the first row in the stands there's such a drop... I couldn't possibly be in this persons view, and was at least still 10-feet (if not more) from their section (there's such a big gap)...

I'm not all for making money at every turn, but these seats will generate good revenue, AND keep prawn eating rich 'wanna be seen' out of the stands and down below...

Hell, this may improve some sections... Rich 'wanna be seens' upgrade their tickets to field level, and hopefully some real fans on the waiting list move into their seats in the stands and make some noise...

This honestly sounds like bitching for the sake of bitching - or bitching by a 'wanna be seen'... Now this "poor bad-done-by-soul" can't tell his buddies "...hey bro, I got 2nd row at TFC games..."

I give this person a yellow for this bitchfest... :yellow: (sorry to whomever is quoted in the article, but I just don't see the problem)...

Also of note, the view from field level seats is NOT GOOD... Right in front of you in nice, anywhere else on the pitch is tough to see accurately what's going on...

Carts...

Cambridge_Red
08-02-2008, 09:53 AM
We'll see how long they stay there. We've worked hard to make 126 louder and we wont let this change anything.

Carts
08-02-2008, 10:05 AM
We'll see how long they stay there. We've worked hard to make 126 louder and we wont let this change anything.

I think it'll make 126 even louder, if the suits and 'wanna-be-seen' people remaining in that section leave for the "trendy" field level seats - and fans on the waiting list move in (or fans elsewhere upgrade during the STH upgrade days)...

This will actually help 126, not hurt it...

Carts...

themodelcitizen
08-02-2008, 10:22 AM
New signing gets shot at Dallas (http://tfc.american-soccer-news.com/) :taz: (for some reason Barrett reminds me of Taz)

Razcle
08-02-2008, 10:53 AM
Goal.Com MLS Preview: Toronto FC v. FC Dallas

The Heart of Texas heads north of the border and things can’t go much worse than their last trip to BMO Field.
Toronto FC v. FC Dallas
When: 4 pm ET
Where: BMO Field, Toronto Canada

The Gist: Toronto returns home after last week failing to ruin Real Salt Lake’s undefeated season at home. This week the second-year Canadian club will try to maintain their own perfect home record while also trying to score for the first time at BMO Field in 203 minutes. While they have managed consecutive scoreless draws, the Reds need to start winning to avoid slipping any further down the Eastern Conference standings.

http://www.goal.com/en/Articolo.aspx?ContenutoId=802088 (http://www.goal.com/en/Articolo.aspx?ContenutoId=802088)

boban
08-02-2008, 11:45 AM
The field level seats don't get in anyone's way - I have to say this complaint sounds like a spoiled whiner (sorry to that person)...

I sat in the field level seats at the all-star game. At halftime while speaking with JC (name drop!) I wasn't event the height of the first row in the stands there's such a drop... I couldn't possibly be in this persons view, and was at least still 10-feet (if not more) from their section (there's such a big gap)...

I'm not all for making money at every turn, but these seats will generate good revenue, AND keep prawn eating rich 'wanna be seen' out of the stands and down below...

Hell, this may improve some sections... Rich 'wanna be seens' upgrade their tickets to field level, and hopefully some real fans on the waiting list move into their seats in the stands and make some noise...

This honestly sounds like bitching for the sake of bitching - or bitching by a 'wanna be seen'... Now this "poor bad-done-by-soul" can't tell his buddies "...hey bro, I got 2nd row at TFC games..."

I give this person a yellow for this bitchfest... :yellow: (sorry to whomever is quoted in the article, but I just don't see the problem)...

Also of note, the view from field level seats is NOT GOOD... Right in front of you in nice, anywhere else on the pitch is tough to see accurately what's going on...

Carts...
Of course you don't see the problem.
You're sitting in front of him.

This guy has a legitimate complaint. Typical MLSE milking every last drop.
Also, it makes the venue look more cheese.

ag futbol
08-02-2008, 12:26 PM

Are we going to see extra rows of prawn eaters in front of the south stand too?
Good point.

I've heard that the useless Children who inbounds the balls on game day PAY for the privilage. If that isn't the height of pathetic i don't know what is.

Oldtimer
08-02-2008, 03:13 PM
Good point.

I've heard that the useless Children who inbounds the balls on game day PAY for the privilage. If that isn't the height of pathetic i don't know what is.

Unless your source is solid, I'll just consider that hearsay.

denime
08-02-2008, 03:47 PM
Good point.

PURE BS
Youth Soccer clubs can call and let TFC know that they would like to send their kids to be a ball boys.

Cambridge_Red
08-02-2008, 04:35 PM
I think it'll make 126 even louder, if the suits and 'wanna-be-seen' people remaining in that section leave for the "trendy" field level seats - and fans on the waiting list move in (or fans elsewhere upgrade during the STH upgrade days)...

This will actually help 126, not hurt it...

Carts...

I agree, it's been awesome getting everyoen involved. We started with 3 rows standing/singing. Now we have nearly half of the section doing this fairly consistantly during the past couple of games.

Carts
08-02-2008, 05:44 PM
Of course you don't see the problem.
You're sitting in front of him.

This guy has a legitimate complaint. Typical MLSE milking every last drop.
Also, it makes the venue look more cheese.

I don't sit there every game, I stand in 112 - thank you... (I was a guest at the All-Star game)

Honestly, if you saw where these seats are setup, you'd realize that this isn't a problem at all, and will only HELP the atmosphere in the stands...

This gentleman will lose no view of the pitch...
This gentleman will gain in the atmosphere of his section...

The only thing he'll lose, is when he's trying to impress a client or girl in a 'wanna-be-seen' situation his guests can say "...why don't you have tickets down there..."

If this setup hurt his view, hurt the atmosphere in 126, or in anyway disrupted our fans in any legitimate way, other than their "reputation for where their tickets are" I'd be 100% against it...

This doesn't. We rag on MLSE & TFC FO for alot, this shouldn't be one of them...

Carts...

Carts
08-02-2008, 05:47 PM
I agree, it's been awesome getting everyoen involved. We started with 3 rows standing/singing. Now we have nearly half of the section doing this fairly consistantly during the past couple of games.

Cambridge, you guys & gals in 126 & 127 are one of the success stories of BMO...

Those sections started as regular sections - no supporter standing... Now, 127 is a supporters section, and 126 acts like one...

If I thought these seats would in any way ruin, hinder the growth, make it take a step back, or anything to what you guys have worked so hard to build, I would be against it 100%...

You guys/gals deserve alot of credit for the transformation of those sections, to help BMO become the fortress it needs to be...

Carts...

JDG
08-02-2008, 06:53 PM
Looks like someone in NEE doesn't like me or what I had to say. LOL

I'm sure you read these boards TFCantifa. Get in touch and let me kow how you really feel.

I have a good idea who you are already. Send me a PM & say your piece.

morgank1986
08-02-2008, 09:03 PM
I bought a laptop and it was tops, but now a new laptop came out that's better then mine. And the salesman said I could get it but for more money! I'm hoping the papers will pick up my story.

Maybe they should just call the new seating in front of 126 Section 026. Problem solved.

DOMIN8R
08-03-2008, 07:44 AM
JDG - What can be said about TFCantifa that is obvious to any reader.

Hate and ignorance hiding behind a computer screen claiming to be a real fan. Same old...smae old. And here's a news flash - the sky is blue!

H

Looks like someone in NEE doesn't like me or what I had to say. LOL

I'm sure you read these boards TFCantifa. Get in touch and let me kow how you really feel.

I have a good idea who you are already. Send me a PM & say your piece.