PDA

View Full Version : Say a prayer for Mo Babouli tonight.

Red CB Toronto
04-13-2018, 08:20 PM
I hope Mo is safe tonight as President Trump moments ago announced air strikes against Syria with reports of bombings already being happening.

Mo has been playing for Al-Ittihad in Aleppo since his departure from TFC. Hope he finds his way back to the safer confines of say the USL sooner than later.

James17930
04-13-2018, 08:28 PM
I am shocked that they're actually still running the Syrian league.

Very head-scratching.

molenshtain
04-14-2018, 01:47 PM
very very sad. I had no idea the league was still running either. I hope he's safe.

Here's hoping he comes back when the CPL starts. He'd be the right kind of player for the league.

nonc
04-14-2018, 03:05 PM
Agreed I thought Mo played at a good level, he could do great in CPL which should be about League 1 in quality.

FluSH
04-15-2018, 02:34 PM
Damn hope he’s ok!

Initial B
04-15-2018, 09:39 PM
Assad want to show some semblance of normality during the civil war. Bread and circuses and all that.

Razcle
04-15-2018, 09:57 PM
Good luck Mo. Hopefully can find his way home soon!

notthesun
04-20-2018, 10:49 AM
I don't know what to make of this exactly but apparently Babouli has been arrested for not serving in the Syrian military:

https://twitter.com/ThatArabKeeper/status/987169538583085056

Hope he just comes back for the CPL.

C.Ronaldo
04-20-2018, 10:51 AM
holy sht

CPL cant start soon enough

Oldtimer
04-20-2018, 12:39 PM
Apparently the club clarified that Mo was born in UAE not Syria, so cannot be required to serve in the Syrian military. Sounds like a huge misunderstanding.

portu
04-20-2018, 01:15 PM
Hopefully Mo is okay in the end.

Never understood why the hell he went to Syria, would of been a great player in USL or NASL when he left us. Hell, I thought he was decent enough to stick with us. Certainly would of rather had him than Spencer.

C.Ronaldo
04-20-2018, 01:30 PM
Apparently the club clarified that Mo was born in UAE not Syria, so cannot be required to serve in the Syrian military. Sounds like a huge misunderstanding.

I have little faith in a facist regime to straighten things out until I see him on safe ground

JT Red127
04-20-2018, 01:34 PM
Hopefully Mo is okay in the end.

Never understood why the hell he went to Syria, would of been a great player in USL or NASL when he left us. Hell, I thought he was decent enough to stick with us. Certainly would of rather had him than Spencer.

I liked Mo cause he was from around here and all but really he wasnt very good, and I'm not sure Spencer is either but hes 2 or 3 years younger and 6'5, he has potential.

OgtheDim
04-20-2018, 02:20 PM
The history of sports under evil regimes is littered with people who made such decisions as he has made - some got out alive - some did not - some just went blissfully along and did OK in their own minds.

As with anybody in Syria, hope he is safe and survives.

Oldtimer
04-20-2018, 02:58 PM
My gut feeling is that someone is looking for a bribe. Hopefully if that is the case then the club will take care of it.

Red CB Toronto
04-20-2018, 03:51 PM
My gut feeling is that someone is looking for a bribe. Hopefully if that is the case then the club will take care of it.

Yeah asking for bribe would not go too far after showing that he is not a even a citizen of the country. A phone call to the Canadian Embassy in Lebanon would have been able to sort this out if needed as they have consular responsibility for Syria. Hope this sorts itself out for him and if desired get out of there.

portu
04-20-2018, 04:09 PM
I liked Mo cause he was from around here and all but really he wasnt very good, and I'm not sure Spencer is either but hes 2 or 3 years younger and 6'5, he has potential.

I thought he was good enough to be in at 5th striker on this team though.

jabbronies
04-20-2018, 04:32 PM
Why go there? Is there no better place in the world he could've gone to?

ag futbol
04-20-2018, 07:29 PM
Babouli has loads of skill. Whether that can translate to playing at the MLS level still yet to be seen. Admitting it didn’t look like it would based on past performances.

Too bad he wasn’t identified and brought through higher levels of the game at an earlier age.

Richard
04-20-2018, 10:47 PM
Why go there? Is there no better place in the world he could've gone to?

It raises flags does it not? Cant think of any good reason to go there.

OgtheDim
04-21-2018, 06:06 AM
History indicates people who go to play sports under regimes like this either get really bad advice or are incredibly naive - there are a few psychopaths who are drawn to places like that but that is unusual.

Red CB Toronto
04-21-2018, 07:43 AM
History indicates people who go to play sports under regimes like this either get really bad advice or are incredibly naive - there are a few psychopaths who are drawn to places like that but that is unusual.

That is exactly my thought as safe lower league for a lot of Canadian's in the past has been Finland. I would have gone there any day over this.

Abou Sky
04-21-2018, 11:21 AM

'history indicates'

Lol, yeah, like playing in Spain under Franco?

Or playing in China today?

Or Russia today.

Or Qatar.

Should I go on?

notthesun
04-21-2018, 12:55 PM
Sounds like he is ok from his latest Instagram post: https://www.instagram.com/p/Bh0weY0lDZU/

Over the past few days I’ve been put in a situation that isn’t ideal for anyone!!! I️ just want to thank everyone that stood beside me, family, friends and teammates. I️ know there are some very important people that helped me, so without mentioning any names, from the bottom of my heart I️ truly thank you!!!! I’m safe and in good health. I️ traveled to meet up with my team last night for the game today and we hope we can make everyone happy!!!

Red CB Toronto
04-21-2018, 12:57 PM
Sounds like he is ok from his latest Instagram post: https://www.instagram.com/p/Bh0weY0lDZU/

That is great to hear.

OgtheDim
04-21-2018, 01:03 PM
'history indicates'

Lol, yeah, like playing in Spain under Franco?

Or playing in China today?

Or Russia today.

Or Qatar.

Should I go on?

Or Hitler.

Or Mussolini.

Or in different African countries under dictatorships.

Its history....crud happens in certain ways.

portu
04-21-2018, 01:14 PM
Good to hear

Rocket Robin
09-13-2019, 09:36 PM
Couldn't find a newer thread for this.

News from September 9, 2019 playing for FC Ukraine United right here in the GTA.

Duane Rollins needs a prayer now!

Look what happened to Mo Babouli! http://canadiansoccerleague.ca/babouli-arrives-with-four-goals-for-ukraine-utd/

Playing for the outlaw league!

Red CB Toronto
09-13-2019, 10:28 PM
Man that's surprising, I was quite surprised when he did not end up in the CPL with his playing background, he was a poster child for why the CPL was needed in the first place? At this point do the CSA/OSA really loose any sleep when it comes to the CSL. I can't imagine they really concern themselves with it.

Couldn't find a newer thread for this.

News from September 9, 2019 playing for FC Ukraine United right here in the GTA.

Duane Rollins needs a prayer now!

Look what happened to Mo Babouli! http://canadiansoccerleague.ca/babouli-arrives-with-four-goals-for-ukraine-utd/

Playing for the outlaw league!

Blizzard
10-12-2019, 11:33 PM
Man that's surprising, I was quite surprised when he did not end up in the CPL with his playing background, he was a poster child for why the CPL was needed in the first place? At this point do the CSA/OSA really loose any sleep when it comes to the CSL. I can't imagine they really concern themselves with it.

As he's probably still under contract to his Syrian club, he can't play for anybody in an official league or association. That's why he was able to play in the indoor league last winter for the MetroStars. It's a sad waste as he would be ripping the CanPL apart right now.

rydermike
10-13-2019, 11:03 AM
Should this thread be renamed now that he's not in Syria anymore?

Oldtimer
10-13-2019, 01:55 PM
Should this thread be renamed now that he's not in Syria anymore?

Start a new thread in the Canadian Soccer section of the board if you want to discuss his current status with the CSL. Closing this thread as he's no longer in Syria.