PDA

View Full Version : CCL Semis First Leg - America @ TFC Tue April 3 8pm Give Me This Night

Pages : [1] 2

OgtheDim
03-30-2018, 09:57 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=THN8_rGNhQ4

or

for those who prefer the original

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5e-Z8bksRus

The night is very cold
Keep me warm In your arms

Have at It People

RedsYNWA
03-30-2018, 10:43 AM
Can't wait for this game.... hoping to freeze my ass off & a 2-0 result for the good guys

ensco
03-30-2018, 11:11 AM
Could be horrible that night based on forecast.

Cold, rain, mud... WW1 trench warfare type conditions.

Should be great!

whositwhatnow
03-30-2018, 01:59 PM
Could be horrible that night based on forecast.

Cold, rain, mud... WW1 trench warfare type conditions.

Should be great!

The grounds crew is going to be working overtime even more this season :)

ensco
03-31-2018, 08:09 AM
That pitch is a mess, it's supposed to rain Tuesday. Mexican teams rely on team speed. I think maybe we should have a different groundskeeping philosophy for this game only.

Can we schedule a tractor pull or something between now and Tuesday?

Hamilton_Red
04-01-2018, 10:52 PM
Injury updates? Starting line-up predictions?

James17930
04-02-2018, 02:09 AM
The grounds crew is going to be working overtime even more this season :)

I'm wondering if we should leave the undersoil heating off during the game. A cold, somewhat hard pitch seems better than a mud pit.

ensco
04-02-2018, 07:15 AM
Six posts with 36 hours to go?

The Santos Laguna pregame thread in 2012 was 23 pages.
http://forums.redpatchboys.ca/showthread.php?31133-CCL-Santos-Laguna-Toronto-FC-First-Leg-Pre-Match-Match-Thread&highlight=santos+laguna

TFC Tifoso
04-02-2018, 07:25 AM
That pitch is a mess, it's supposed to rain Tuesday. Mexican teams rely on team speed. I think maybe we should have a different groundskeeping philosophy for this game only.

Can we schedule a tractor pull or something between now and Tuesday?

I normally agree with your posts, but this one is a bit off imo....TFC relies on short passes and keeping the ball on the deck. So from that angle, a shitty field will hurt us a lot....shame too because we need a result tomorrow.

The weather will bring the quality down if it is as bad as predicted....mistakes might be the difference.

ensco
04-02-2018, 08:00 AM
I normally agree with your posts, but this one is a bit off imo....TFC relies on short passes and keeping the ball on the deck. So from that angle, a shitty field will hurt us a lot....shame too because we need a result tomorrow.

The weather will bring the quality down if it is as bad as predicted....mistakes might be the difference.

You may be right, this isn't obvious. Also I am kind of kidding, they will do their best, the turf will be what it will be.

I am assuming that, like Tigres, any better Mexican team moves the ball around better than us, and has more team speed, but that we have more players (especially Bradley and Altidore) that just know how to muck it out in cold, frustrating, miserable conditions.

I am certainly pleased about the cold. We have played a TON of big games in the cold now, it's a huge edge. Tigres absolutely tailed off in the second half here, I think it got to them.

Red4ever
04-02-2018, 08:12 AM
I am certainly pleased about the cold. We have played a TON of big games in the cold now, it's a huge edge. Tigres absolutely tailed off in the second half here, I think it got to them.

Very important point. I feel like our ability to nab a couple goals between 75-90+ might make the difference.

TFC Tifoso
04-02-2018, 08:15 AM
You may be right, this isn't obvious. Also I am kind of kidding, they will do their best, the turf will be what it will be.

Definitely not....our style of play is as close to our Mexican counterparts more so that any other MLS team imo....

I am assuming that, like Tigres, any better Mexican team moves the ball around better than us, and has more team speed, but that we have more players (especially Bradley and Altidore) that just know how to muck it out in cold, frustrating, miserable conditions.

Fair enough, but it also seems that our BEST player, Giovinco, doesn't have his best games in temps like these....and we'll need a monster out of him tomorrow.

Could be, but I thought Tigres actually had a better 2nd half, than 1st....it looked especially dangerous when Ginac came on imo.....but to me games like this with 2 fairly even teams often come down to intangibles....could be weather, or could be that "moment of brilliance" from a player...we'll see...

Joe Kool
04-02-2018, 09:58 AM
One comment from a Club America fan "we can beat Toronto, those Canadians don't even have their own league". Haha. Made me laugh.

Graeme
04-02-2018, 10:02 AM
I'm crossing my fingers that Morrow is going to be good to go:

-------------------Bono----------------------
----Hagglung--Moor---Mavinga--------
VDW-----------------------------Morrow--
------Delgado------Bradley-----------
----------_Vasquez-------------------
------Giovinco----Altidore-----------

Thoughts?

kodiakTFC
04-02-2018, 10:11 AM

http://forums.redpatchboys.ca/showthread.php?31133-CCL-Santos-Laguna-Toronto-FC-First-Leg-Pre-Match-Match-Thread&highlight=santos+laguna

The majority of TFC discussion has moved to other platforms: instagram, facebook, and twitter.

TheGoodson
04-02-2018, 10:15 AM
I hope everyone is healthy and we can start the same team as we did against Tigres as that is our best line up at the moment... TFC can deal with shitty weather as they have played many big games in it we can beat Club America

TFC 3-1 with goals from Altidore, Vasquez and Seba in that order.

ensco
04-02-2018, 10:33 AM
The majority of TFC discussion has moved to other platforms: instagram, facebook, and twitter.

Anytime I go on those platforms, all I find worth reading is news stories. The comments are mostly hopeless. Maybe I don’t know where to look...

OgtheDim
04-02-2018, 10:49 AM
People under 55 go on Facebook?

Hamilton_Red
04-02-2018, 10:52 AM
Anytime I go on those platforms, all I find worth reading is news stories. The comments are mostly hopeless. Maybe I don’t know where to look...

The Discussion Board seems to have died a death in general - which is a shame really. FB and Twitter aren't anywhere as good in quality...not that some of the posts on here aren't pish :) - but is nearly impossible to have a decent chat on those platforms. Maybe I'm just getting too old.

surtandoom
04-02-2018, 10:59 AM
Hey all... I will unfortunately be in Montreal tomorrow night on business and will need to find a bar to watch the game at. Anyone know a good sports bar in the Griffintown area? I will be relatively close to the Bell Centre so I imagine I can find a spot around there that will show the match but I would welcome any suggestions.

Thanks!

surtandoom
04-02-2018, 11:06 AM
Also, for what it's worth, a friend of mine flew home to Toronto from Mexico City over the weekend and the Club America players were on his flight. Sounds like they're a bunch of seat-kicking, video game-playing juveniles with a bad attitude. It's funny they flew Economy on a commercial flight, too!

DeRo2015
04-02-2018, 11:36 AM
My girlfriend was at the Club America game on Saturday night vs Cruz Azul. Sounded to me like it wasn't the toughest match for CA.

ensco
04-02-2018, 11:40 AM
My girlfriend was at the Club America game on Saturday night vs Cruz Azul. Sounded to me like it wasn't the toughest match for CA.

Based on the highlights only, looks like America was lucky to get the result.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hBkCu1mxlI0&feature=onebox

depmode101
04-02-2018, 12:15 PM
You can always go to McLeans pub on peel st, which is about a 5-10 minute walk from the Bell Centre. They are very TFC friendly there - upstairs bar you can ask them for the TFC game to be put on, and they should be able to take care of you. That place was full of TFC fans pre-game before heading out to Olympic stadium. If Vanessa is bartending upstairs, tell her Ron from Toronto sent you :)

Hey all... I will unfortunately be in Montreal tomorrow night on business and will need to find a bar to watch the game at. Anyone know a good sports bar in the Griffintown area? I will be relatively close to the Bell Centre so I imagine I can find a spot around there that will show the match but I would welcome any suggestions.

Thanks!

GerMc
04-02-2018, 12:39 PM
I'm crossing my fingers that Morrow is going to be good to go:

-------------------Bono----------------------
----Hagglung--Moor---Mavinga--------
VDW-----------------------------Morrow--
------Delgado------Bradley-----------
----------_Vasquez-------------------
------Giovinco----Altidore-----------

Thoughts?

I would play VDW instead of Hagglund and put Auro in. That was a combo that worked well on Friday against RSL. Otherwise I think that looks good.

notthesun
04-02-2018, 12:49 PM
Per Vanney, Morrow, Vazquez & Mavinga all took part in training today, sounds like they should be in the mix for selection. But Hagglund is out 6 weeks with a hamstring injury.

portu
04-02-2018, 12:49 PM
I would play VDW instead of Hagglund and put Auro in. That was a combo that worked well on Friday against RSL. Otherwise I think that looks good.
I think at home we should have Oso out on the pitch over Delgado, besides Oso's been playing out of his skin lately.

paul-collins
04-02-2018, 01:26 PM
I think at home we should have Oso out on the pitch over Delgado, besides Oso's been playing out of his skin lately.
But but but ... workrate! :p

In all seriousness, your suggestion is a no brainer. Delgado was not sharp on Friday, and to my eye most of his work effort was expended in making up for his own giveaways. I like Osorio much more in the formation, especially on current form.

ensco
04-02-2018, 01:26 PM
Tough news re Hagglund. He is a little snakebit.

If I am Vanney:

We needed 4 goals against Tigres, expect we'll need at least three here, which means we need 2-3 tomorrow night ...

We need goals goals goals, and to win the game at BMO. Having the lead going back to Monterrey was massive.

I want Delgado and Oso both on the field. In no universe should Zavaleta play instead of either Delgado and Osorio, when we need goals.

I think it's obvious that we go with the Seattle/Tigres 4-4-2. Teams cannot hold us for 180 minutes when we have that 4-4-2 lineup out there. In the 4-4-2, we wear teams out, all six of our goals in the Seattle/Tigres games were in the second half (same thing happened against Columbus btw, but we couldn't cash about five glorious chances).

If one of Morrow or Mavinga can't go 90, Auro comes in (and vdW plays CB if it's Mavinga who goes off).

We will see both Hasler and Aketxe. If we have less than two goals after 60 minutes, I expect Aketxe to come in at 60 minutes.

Hasler's role depends more on how VV feels. If Vazquez can only give 45 minutes, I start Hasler and bring VV on at halftime - assuming Hasler remains ahead of Aketxe in the depth chart (I think Aketxe is the more dangerous scoring threat, but he clearly hasn't shown enough yet playing defense).

One thing I like about having Hasler out there in the 4-4-2 formation is that he is effective wide, he is kind of a libero out there which causes marking problems....which lets Delgado play more beside Bradley... which means Bradley can roam forward a bit.

Hasler can also easily push up to striker, he was doing quite a bit of this in the Montreal game. I could see Vanney playing Hasler over Delgado in the second half, all else being equal, just as a way to push forward.

The second half of tomorrow nights game will determine the outcome of the tie.

Prediction: With Hasler playing wide, Michael Bradley will score a big goal tomorrow.

Areathrasher
04-02-2018, 01:42 PM
Bradley is due a goal. Coincidentally his last goal for club or country was at the Azteca

https://m0.joe.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2017/06/12082639/bradley-goal.gif

https://www.joe.co.uk/sport/usa-mexico-michael-bradley-129197

Areathrasher
04-02-2018, 02:30 PM
https://twitter.com/ClubAmerica/status/980888018469912577

benito
04-02-2018, 03:10 PM
Another cold night at BMO tomorrow... this seems to the standard forecast for all of TFC's important games over the last couple of seasons! The goal celebrations always seem more epic in this weather.

benito
04-02-2018, 03:38 PM
INJURY UPDATE:

Defender Nick Hagglund will be out for approximately six weeks after sustaining “a reasonably significant hamstring strain.”

Vanney also provided updates on the trio that missed Friday night's 3-1 win over Real Salt Lake, but would not deliver a final verdict on the statuses of Chris Mavinga, Justin Morrow, or Victor Vazquez. “They all completed training today. We’ll see how things progress tomorrow.”

https://www.torontofc.ca/post/2018/04/02/injury-update-hagglund-mavinga-morrow-vazquez

azorean
04-02-2018, 03:53 PM

Slow build with some of the fans and casuals. Come the final, they will come around. All I know is I will be nervous as heck watching tomorrow. Come on TFC. I want to win !

RealG-TFC
04-02-2018, 04:36 PM
Was looking at the match preview on MLSsoccer.com and noticed this:

Suspended after next caution: Emanuel Aguilera, Carlos Vargas, Cecilio Dominguez, Paul Aguilar, Alejandro Diaz
Projected Starting XI
(4-4-2, right to left)
GK: Agustin Marchesin — Paul Aguilar, Bruno Valdez, Emanuel Aguilera, Carlos Vargas — Renato Ibarra, Mateus Uribe, Guido Rodriguez, Cecilio Dominguez — Henry Martin, Oribe Peralta

That's three quarters of the backline; either they play it safe or they get suspended for Azteca.

For what it's worth though:

Suspended after next caution: Michael Bradley, Jozy Altidore

Bradley I am not too worried about, he managed to go unbooked in the series with Tigres, Jozy is the one that worries me.

flatpicker
04-02-2018, 04:40 PM
INJURY UPDATE:

Defender Nick Hagglund will be out for approximately six weeks after sustaining “a reasonably significant hamstring strain.”

Vanney also provided updates on the trio that missed Friday night's 3-1 win over Real Salt Lake, but would not deliver a final verdict on the statuses of Chris Mavinga, Justin Morrow, or Victor Vazquez. “They all completed training today. We’ll see how things progress tomorrow.”

https://www.torontofc.ca/post/2018/04/02/injury-update-hagglund-mavinga-morrow-vazquez

Fuck. Hagglund has the worst luck with injuries.

portu
04-02-2018, 05:05 PM
INJURY UPDATE:

But it was totally necessary to sign two fullbacks and another attacking mid this winter 🙄 smh

ensco
04-02-2018, 05:25 PM
But it was totally necessary to sign two fullbacks and another attacking mid this winter  smh

Hagglund wouldn’t have started Tuesday, and I bet Zavaleta doesn’t either.

Plus vdW can play there. So can Bradley.

Maybe we re-sign Jason Hernandez.

Plus injuries happen.

I am totally fine with how they spent the TAM.

Detroit_TFC
04-02-2018, 06:16 PM
The weather should make things spicy. Maybe soggy would be a better way to put it.

Defoe
04-02-2018, 06:48 PM

I second your thoughts

-------------------------Bono
---------Van Der Weil--Moor---Mavinga
-------Auro Jr.------------------------Morrow
---------------Delgado------Bradley
-----------------------Vazquez
----------------Giovinco----Altidore

In my honest opinion, we have to be the favourites with this lineup. I'm also pretty happy with a 4-4-2

TheSloanRanger
04-02-2018, 07:34 PM
Oso > Delgado ...right now......for me

We need to attack tomorrow. Score multiple times. I think this game suites him more than marky.

All aboard the Oso train !!!

MightyDM
04-02-2018, 07:46 PM

Reddit.

MightyDM
04-02-2018, 07:49 PM
Interesting how the way players are playing ( Oso versus Axetke, for example) is making the formation pretty clear. Will change again during the season as others come on, I am sure.

Also interesting to see what the lineup will be if Vasquez cannot play. I am betting that it will be a 3-5-2. If he plays, a 4-4-2

ensco
04-02-2018, 08:21 PM
Reddit.

Am I looking at the right thing? This has 11 posts

https://www.reddit.com/r/tfc/comments/88zsmi/ccl_semifinal_pregame_leg_1_club_america_toronto/

MightyDM
04-02-2018, 09:27 PM

https://www.reddit.com/r/tfc/comments/88zsmi/ccl_semifinal_pregame_leg_1_club_america_toronto/

i don’t actually know, sorry Ensco, I use the forum but my son is always quoting posts from Reddit.

pfk
04-02-2018, 10:16 PM

Yeah, that’s the one. The TFC subreddit isn’t super active with discussions. Nowhere near as much as here.

Gringo Starr
04-02-2018, 11:04 PM
Game day.
I say 3-1 Jozy with the brace!!

jloome
04-02-2018, 11:16 PM

We're spoiled now. Back then, every move -- every decision -- worried the shit out of us. Now, we know the team is likely to perform well because it's focussed and we trust our coach.

Rare. But it leads to a malaise on discussing things.

Personally, I used to spend more time analyzing the games and performance etc and posted more often, but my interest in debate has abandoned me with age. I'm busy trying to juggle a home business/writing career, and am usually content to read others' comments and watch the game.

Still don't miss a minute, though.

magmadragon
04-03-2018, 12:49 AM

Plus injuries happen.

Plus as far as I can tell, we still have a bunch of TAM to spend. Maybe we bring some Mavinga level CBs in during the summer.

molenshtain
04-03-2018, 01:43 AM
Plus as far as I can tell, we still have a bunch of TAM to spend. Maybe we bring some Mavinga level CBs in during the summer.

Idk. We just used TAM on two players this off-season and already had Vazquez on TAM. We've also traded away TAM the last two seasons. We also have a lot of players on big salaries who aren't on TAM. Not confident we have room to use TAM even if we have some.

ensco
04-03-2018, 06:29 AM
Almost no coverage of this in Mexico City newspapers. Just a couple of stories about the Osuna visit
http://www.eluniversal.com.mx/universal-deportes/futbol/roberto-osuna-visita-al-america

They don't have to win this.

TheGoodson
04-03-2018, 07:45 AM
Almost no coverage of this in Mexico City newspapers. Just a couple of stories about the Osuna visit
http://www.eluniversal.com.mx/universal-deportes/futbol/roberto-osuna-visita-al-america

until they loose the game and then shit will hit the fan.

Areathrasher
04-03-2018, 08:14 AM
Expected line up from America tonight

------------------- Marchesin -------------------
Paul --- Edson ----- Valdez --- Vargas
-------------- Guido ---- Uribe ----------------
---- Renato --------------------- Cecilio -----
----------- Martin -------- Peralta ------------

Full strength bar Menez out injured

ensco
04-03-2018, 08:48 AM
This weather forecast .... 3 degrees, rain, wind gusts to 35km, wind chill of minus 7.....

TFC haven’t really had driving rain in the cold yet at BMO. We have had one or the other, but not both.

It can be truly, truly abominable down there. Raise your hand if you were at the 1982 Grey Cup at Exhibition Stadium. That was the worst conditions I ever saw at any sports event anywhere.
https://www.thestar.com/sports/football/2012/11/22/grey_cup_miserable_atmosphere_at_exhibition_stadiu m_in_1982_game_led_to_skydomes_creation_perkins.ht ml

Joe Kool
04-03-2018, 09:13 AM
This weather forecast .... 3 degrees, rain, wind gusts to 35km, wind chill of minus 7.....

TFC haven’t really had driving rain in the cold yet at BMO. We have had one or the other, but not both.

It can be truly, truly abominable down there. Raise your hand if you were at the 1982 Grey Cup at Exhibition Stadium. That was the worst conditions I ever saw at any sports event anywhere.
https://www.thestar.com/sports/football/2012/11/22/grey_cup_miserable_atmosphere_at_exhibition_stadiu m_in_1982_game_led_to_skydomes_creation_perkins.ht ml

Good thing we have a "roof" over the south end...haha. Man I am going to be cold and wet. Oh well. TFC better make it worth it.

benito
04-03-2018, 09:23 AM
Good thing we have a "roof" over the south end...haha. Man I am going to be cold and wet. Oh well. TFC better make it worth it.

I am in sec 126 and the roof provides very little coverage with any wind. It seems that three quarters of the section gets wet.

Oldtimer
04-03-2018, 09:32 AM
Interesting how the way players are playing ( Oso versus Axetke, for example) is making the formation pretty clear. Will change again during the season as others come on, I am sure.

Also interesting to see what the lineup will be if Vasquez cannot play. I am betting that it will be a 3-5-2. If he plays, a 4-4-2

No chance he plays a 4-4-2. While available players might suggest a potential 4-4-2, Club America plays a wide game. 3-5-2 is the best way to stifle their attacks without leading to defensive errors.

portu
04-03-2018, 09:32 AM

Plus injuries happen.

C'mon you honestly think Bradley can fill in at CB? Or that he ever will?

Fort York Redcoat
04-03-2018, 09:56 AM

That's disappointing. Monterrey papers was all over it. What's bigger in sport there than America?

ensco
04-03-2018, 10:03 AM
That's disappointing. Monterrey papers was all over it. What's bigger in sport there than America?

To be fair, that paper did put up a real story, which I missed
http://www.eluniversal.com.mx/universal-deportes/futbol/estamos-cada-vez-mejor-en-america-cecilio

But the sports pages in the 3 Mexico City papers I checked had very little. Tons of Liga MX, some Euro Champions league, Vela (and Zlatan) in LA, Mexican baseball.... those were the stories.

America has won CCL twice recently. I think these guys are under way less pressure to win than Tigres was.

GBV
04-03-2018, 10:51 AM
Betting line:
Toronto FC +139
CF America +225
Draw +229

GerMc
04-03-2018, 10:59 AM
Betting line:
Toronto FC +139
CF America +225
Draw +229

Any chance of translating that into plain English--I know folks have done that before, but just won't stick in my mind!

Does it say Club America is a slight favourite?

GBV
04-03-2018, 11:09 AM
Any chance of translating that into plain English--I know folks have done that before, but just won't stick in my mind!

Does it say Club America is a slight favourite?

Toronto is favoured.

If you use, say, $10 as the wager ..... if you bet $10 on Toronto and they win, you win $13.90 (the $13.90 is how much you win, the stake isn't worked into it, you get $23.90 back after they initially take your $10)

If you bet $10 on America you win $22.50 ($22.50 winner, and you get your $10 back atop that).

TheSloanRanger
04-03-2018, 11:58 AM
"our weather" has taken on a whole new meaning lately

Don Julio
04-03-2018, 12:09 PM
Toronto is favoured.

If you use, say, $10 as the wager ..... if you bet $10 on Toronto and they win, you win $13.90 (the $13.90 is how much you win, the stake isn't worked into it, you get $23.90 back after they initially take your $10)

If you bet $10 on America you win $22.50 ($22.50 winner, and you get your $10 back atop that).

That means TFC is 139/100 which is a weird line.

William Hill has it:
TFC: 13/10 (2.30)
Draw: 11/5 (3.20)
Club America: 2/1 (3.00)

GBV
04-03-2018, 12:20 PM
That means TFC is 139/100 which is a weird line.

William Hill has it:
TFC: 13/10 (2.30)
Draw: 11/5 (3.20)
Club America: 2/1 (3.00)

Some like "American odds" (the + and - ones), others prefer "decimal odds" and so on and so on.
Nothing weird at all about a +139.
From Pinnacle. They might have less variety and fewer zany prop options, but I've found they are about as generous as it gets as far as odds go. Most of the time, odds are higher than other books, no matter which side you're taking.

RedsYNWA
04-03-2018, 12:31 PM
Trying to get this straight... The team hosting with the better result this SF gets to host the next rounds final in the 2nd Leg?

RedsYNWA
04-03-2018, 12:53 PM
Club America coach Miguel Herrera has said Liga MX is competing with leagues in Europe rather than MLS and thinks the northern league has work to do to reach the level of Mexico's top division.
"Our league is very solid, very strong and isn't competing with MLS," Herrera said at a news conference (http://www.espn.com/video/clip?id=4150950)on the eve of America's CONCACAF Champions League semifinal first leg against Toronto at BMO Field.
"Our league competes with leagues in Europe, and obviously the MLS is wanting to catch the Mexican league to also compete with the leagues in Europe in the future."
Herrera said MLS was improving due to increased investment, but seemed to discount the idea that it was catching Liga MX on the basis of Toronto knocking out Tigres and New York Red Bulls overcoming Club Tijuana in the CCL quarterfinals last month.
"I think we have to show on the pitch that our league is still solid," the former Mexico manager said. "I saw both the games between Toronto and New York [Red Bulls] against Tijuana and Tigres, and I felt the Mexican teams played better."

RedsYNWA
04-03-2018, 12:55 PM
I hope Herrera eats it tonight :flare:

BenRhodes23
04-03-2018, 12:56 PM
My lineup prediction for Waking the Red:

https://www.wakingthered.com/toronto-fc/2018/4/3/17191068/predicting-toronto-fc-lineup-against-club-america-concacaf-greg-vanney

Areathrasher
04-03-2018, 01:06 PM
Trying to get this straight... The team hosting with the better result this SF gets to host the next rounds final in the 2nd Leg?

From reading the wiki page - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2018_CONCACAF_Champions_League#Semi-finals - i think it's best overall record in the comp hosts the 2nd leg.

Pos
Team
Pld
W
D
L
GF
GA
GD
Pts
Host

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/a/a4/Flag_of_the_United_States.svg/23px-Flag_of_the_United_States.svg.png (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States) New York Red Bulls (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_York_Red_Bulls)
+6
2nd leg

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/f/fc/Flag_of_Mexico.svg/23px-Flag_of_Mexico.svg.png (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mexico) Guadalajara (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C.D._Guadalajara)
+9
1st leg

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/f/fc/Flag_of_Mexico.svg/23px-Flag_of_Mexico.svg.png (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mexico) América (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Club_Am%C3%A9rica)
+10
2nd leg

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/c/cf/Flag_of_Canada.svg/23px-Flag_of_Canada.svg.png (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canada) Toronto FC (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toronto_FC)
+2
1st leg

Red CB Toronto
04-03-2018, 01:07 PM
Looks like it could be getting even worse tonight down at BMO. You can blame Colorado LOL

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DZ31C4zU0AA-eVF.jpg

Don Julio
04-03-2018, 01:08 PM
I meant it's weird odds to me, since I'm used to UK-focused sites that set them in fractions, and then convert them to American if you want. You would never see 139/100 on those sites.. It would probably be 14/10 or +140.

Redpunkfiddle
04-03-2018, 01:22 PM
To be fair, that paper did put up a real story, which I missed
http://www.eluniversal.com.mx/universal-deportes/futbol/estamos-cada-vez-mejor-en-america-cecilio

But the sports pages in the 3 Mexico City papers I checked had very little. Tons of Liga MX, some Euro Champions league, Vela (and Zlatan) in LA, Mexican baseball.... those were the stories.

America has won CCL twice recently. I think these guys are under way less pressure to win than Tigres was.

When we play down there next week, it will get play. But yes, the overall attention is less than fever.

Captain
04-03-2018, 01:53 PM
I'm hoping we don't start this game and then it gets postponed to tomorrow afternoon because of all the rain that's supposed to fall. (Similar to that Vancouver Canadian Championship game that got moved, which of course worked out in our favour. That game was truely not playable.)

I can't make it to a day game because of work so not too happy about the prospect.

whositwhatnow
04-03-2018, 01:53 PM
Man, from what weather forcasters saying (even though most of the time they have no idea whats going on) sounds like a monsoon coming

C.Ronaldo
04-03-2018, 02:54 PM
Man, from what weather forcasters saying (even though most of the time they have no idea whats going on) sounds like a monsoon coming

a really cold monsoon

C.Ronaldo
04-03-2018, 02:56 PM
I'm hoping we don't start this game and then it gets postponed to tomorrow afternoon because of all the rain that's supposed to fall. (Similar to that Vancouver Canadian Championship game that got moved, which of course worked out in our favour. That game was truely not playable.)

I can't make it to a day game because of work so not too happy about the prospect.

wed doesnt look much better

Wind gusts to 90 km/h Wednesday.

Couchy81
04-03-2018, 02:57 PM
Poncho on top of a winter jacket and ziplock bag for my phone ready to go!

Thomas
04-03-2018, 03:08 PM
The weather won’t be pretty....but looking at the radar at this moment, it shows a big section of bad stuff passing to the south of us. Looking forward to the match. We are getting quite a lot of rain though.

Captain
04-03-2018, 03:11 PM
Have to say the predictions for the weather this evening has been improving all day. Earlier today the rain was supposed to start around 3:00 pm now it's starting around game time. Also, earlier the the prediction was 100% rain at 8:00 pm and that has slowly dropped to 60% at game time.

At this rate we might only have to deal with the cold and wind.

Globetrotter
04-03-2018, 03:29 PM
1050 playing raptors
590 playing jays

Are there any AM radio stations that are broadcasting the game tonight?

(yes, this is a serious question)

OgtheDim
04-03-2018, 03:48 PM
Nobody has the radio rights.

ag futbol
04-03-2018, 04:13 PM
Is this game actually going to be played? It sounds like a strong chance of a rain-out

Joe Kool
04-03-2018, 04:18 PM
Is this game actually going to be played? It sounds like a strong chance of a rain-out

Weather forecast is much better now than it was a few hours ago. They will play unless lightning shows up with the rain. I doubt it will get called just because of rain unless our field drainage system fails again like it did a couple years ago but it was worked on since.

oldtraffordPEI
04-03-2018, 04:23 PM
Match day! Cant wait!

ag futbol
04-03-2018, 04:24 PM
Weather forecast is much better now than it was a few hours ago. They will play unless lightning shows up with the rain. I doubt it will get called just because of rain unless our field drainage system fails again like it did a couple years ago but it was worked on since.
Hey, I’m all for it if they can get out there. The more brutal the conditions the better.

OgtheDim
04-03-2018, 04:42 PM
FWIW,

this game will be on GO in the US.

BenRhodes23
04-03-2018, 05:26 PM
I'd love to see a muddy game, but I'm afraid the field is going to be ruined.

MightyDM
04-03-2018, 05:59 PM
No chance he plays a 4-4-2. While available players might suggest a potential 4-4-2, Club America plays a wide game. 3-5-2 is the best way to stifle their attacks without leading to defensive errors.

We will see

Graeme
04-03-2018, 06:06 PM
No Vasquez or mavinga. Morrow starting on the bench. VDW as a cb. Going to be tough win, although Gio and Jozy can single handedly win games.

notthesun
04-03-2018, 06:08 PM
Aw fuck, these injuries are gonna be a lot to overcome...

portu
04-03-2018, 06:11 PM
You know if players are missing out due to injury for this game then they're probably in a really bad state. Vazquez, in particular, is scary because he's gotten progressively worse (sub for Tigres at home, unused sub for Tigres away and now not even on the bench). Giving Morgan the start in this game is quite the statement of support from Vanney, was expecting to see Auro on the left with Hasler or VDW on the right if Morrow wasn't available.

Edit: Can I also just say that it's nice to see what is traditionally our last midfield man / token homegrown signing making the bench the last two games. Seeing Aparicio then Mannella rot and then Camargo last season was rough hopefully Fraser doesn't suffer the same fate.

Richard
04-03-2018, 06:17 PM
Didn't we give Vazquez a two year extension?

I like the guy a lot and he is the smartest player on the pitch for us, but this seems to be turning into a Frings situation.

We at some point should be getting a much younger AM.

Oldtimer
04-03-2018, 06:26 PM
Poncho on top of a winter jacket and ziplock bag for my phone ready to go!

Water resistant red winter jacket, fleece, long johns on. Those Mexican players won't play their best game in this weather.

notthesun
04-03-2018, 06:27 PM
Didn't we give Vazquez a two year extension?

I like the guy a lot and he is the smartest player on the pitch for us, but this seems to be turning into a Frings situation.

We at some point should be getting a much younger AM.

You mean like... Aketxe?

Vazquez has a lot of games to miss before being comparable to Frings, let's take a breath.

oldtraffordPEI
04-03-2018, 06:31 PM
Dont quite understand the reactionary comments about Vazquez. Everyone picks up injuries now and then, its a long season no need to panic IMO. The good thing is we have some good depth.

Aketxe is more then capable.

ManUtd4ever
04-03-2018, 06:38 PM
Hopefully the weather will hold up enough to play the entire match. I think the elements work to our advantage.

portu
04-03-2018, 06:41 PM
Dont quite understand the reactionary comments about Vazquez. Everyone picks up injuries now and then, its a long season no need to panic IMO. The good thing is we have some good depth.

Aketxe is more then capable.

Is he? Because I see Oso on the team sheet.

General Woolfe
04-03-2018, 06:44 PM
No Vazquez, Mavinga or Morrow. Tonight we'll see just how deep this side really is...

Lets do it TFC :scarf:

James17930
04-03-2018, 07:01 PM
Please post streams if you got 'em.

DeRo2015
04-03-2018, 07:02 PM
Morrow is on the bench

No Vazquez, Mavinga or Morrow. Tonight we'll see just how deep this side really is...

Lets do it TFC :scarf:

OgtheDim
04-03-2018, 07:04 PM
I wasn't going today because its our wedding anniversary. Of course, I got sick so couldn't enjoy the day at all.

i.e.

This game better cheer me up.

That defence has me nervous, and the subs even more so as we have no sub CB - we'll see.

Rather be doing this then watching Vancouver play these games.

oldtraffordPEI
04-03-2018, 07:06 PM
Is he? Because I see Oso on the team sheet.

Hard to beat Oso's form right now, cant argue with that. Not sure why you would imply Aketke isnt capable though. Not that my comments had anything to do with comparing that, clearly I was talking about Vasquez, but hey, enjoy your beer.

OgtheDim
04-03-2018, 07:09 PM
IIRC, this ref from Costa Rica is pretty decent.

portu
04-03-2018, 07:10 PM
Hard to beat Oso's form right now, cant argue with that. Not sure why you would imply Aketke isnt capable though. Not that my comments had anything to do with comparing that, clearly I was talking about Vasquez, but hey, enjoy your beer.
I thought you were referring to Aketxe's ability to fill in for Vazquez? My point is that if Vanney agreed he'd be on the pitch instead of Oso.

James17930
04-03-2018, 07:10 PM
Best stream I can find so far:

http://cdn.livetvcdn.net/webplayer.php?t=ifr&c=907139&lang=en&eid=646720&lid=907139&ci=248&si=1

Yohan
04-03-2018, 07:16 PM
HD stream on go90.com

you need a VPN set to US to see it though. (IE Hola on Chrome)

James17930
04-03-2018, 07:18 PM
Looks legit to me.

oldtraffordPEI
04-03-2018, 07:20 PM
tough call, coulda gone either way. Atta boy Gio

ag futbol
Well i can see the case for it but a tad soft. Best to start bagging them early.

Inklink
Utter bush league by Club America players. Good that Gio shut em up.

They will get a weak penalty because of the whining though, I think.

OgtheDim
04-03-2018, 07:23 PM
Gosh they are whining.

Long way to go yet - 180 minute game etc. etc. etc.

oldtraffordPEI
04-03-2018, 07:25 PM
Gio is fired up, I like Gio fired up

Yohan
04-03-2018, 07:27 PM
dumb kick out by Giovinco. could have been a CONCACAF red

Ajax TFC
04-03-2018, 07:31 PM
Wow. Just literally walked over

portu
Drew Moor: Pylon

notthesun
Moor just got skinned alive...

We really fucking needed Mavinga for this

OgtheDim
That was some bush league defence we just did there.

Edit: Zavs is definately not at this level & Moor really needs Mavinga beside him.

oldtraffordPEI
04-03-2018, 07:32 PM
Fuck off Moor

razor787
04-03-2018, 07:32 PM
Damn. 22 minutes in and we already need to worry about the away goal next game...

Yohan
04-03-2018, 07:33 PM
Bradley was also a pylon too

Inklink
04-03-2018, 07:34 PM
Osorio and Delgado playing like it's fricken Thursday night soccer at Hershey sportzone

oldtraffordPEI
04-03-2018, 07:37 PM
I fucking hate Club America more then ever, bunch of fuckin' whiners

nonc
04-03-2018, 07:37 PM
Osorio and Delgado playing like it's fricken Thursday night soccer at Hershey sportzone

Tough giveaway but Bradley and Moor clown show secured the America goal. Moor is just UGH since the last half of 2017. I thought Mavinga was gonna be healthy by now.

Ajax TFC
04-03-2018, 07:38 PM
We miss Vazquez. Neither oso or Delgado are calm enough with the ball against a fast team like this. Need that outlet that they can dish the ball to when under pressure

notthesun
04-03-2018, 07:40 PM
We need to get back on the ball and set up in their half. This is too back and forth and they can counter better than we can.

We also haven't had our backline under this much pressure... ever? At least since the playoffs last year. It's showing, loss of dangerous stuff, it won't be pretty if it continues...

Inklink
04-03-2018, 07:42 PM
lmao foul throw?

Inklink
04-03-2018, 07:48 PM
21 is a disaster. I'm just hoping he responds with a good 2nd half as he's done in the past.

Gio keeps dribbling out of shooting position.

portu
04-03-2018, 07:48 PM
Passing is absolute garbage tonight jesus

Inklink
04-03-2018, 07:51 PM
Bradley what was that

Inklink
04-03-2018, 07:51 PM
Shooot dammit

Inklink
04-03-2018, 07:53 PM
altidoreeeeeeeee

Inklink
04-03-2018, 07:55 PM
I'm afraid one of the DP's will be missing next game because of a card.

notthesun
04-03-2018, 07:58 PM
There's a reason our passing is off. This is the best pressure on our back line and midfield has ever faced I think. Credit to America, they look way better than Tigres.

Giovinco and Altidore have kept us in this.

burlington Red
Looked like some kind of commotion in tunnel at 1/2 time

portu
Altidore and Seba need to chill their freaking me out every time someone provokes them slightly

Take Oso for Hasler and sit him next to Bradley in midfield to help him clean shit up. Let's see why it was so unnecessary to grab an 6/8 this winter. Sort of game that Cheyrou or Will Johnson would have been excellent for.

OgtheDim
Another locker room fracas?

Geez...

jloome
04-03-2018, 07:59 PM
I fucking hate Club America more then ever, bunch of fuckin' whiners

I've never seen a club that dives and cheats so much whine so fucking much. Jesus. Serve them some fucking cheese or something.

Ponderosa
04-03-2018, 07:59 PM
Another locker room fracas?
looks like it was coaches maybe?

nonc
04-03-2018, 08:01 PM
Wind in our favour coming up, must push for 3 or 4. Club America small club :D

portu
04-03-2018, 08:03 PM
Wind in our favour coming up, must push for 3 or 4. Club America small club :D
Don't tell reddit Liga MX that lmao

nonc
04-03-2018, 08:04 PM
Bono may have been hung out to dry on the goal but if he just stands up and reacts to the shot it's savable. Also his suicide passes are not funny.

OgtheDim
04-03-2018, 08:05 PM
looks like it was coaches maybe?

Went back to look at it & seems somebody (not Vanney) was going at it verbally with Parrera.

portu
04-03-2018, 08:06 PM
Bono may have been hung out to dry on the goal but if he just stands up and reacts to the shot it's savable. Also his suicide passes are not funny.
Every single time we have the ball at the back I'm having fits very lucky we haven't been fucked on it yet

portu
04-03-2018, 08:12 PM
someone on reddit MLS saying America's keeper pushed a cop?

Inklink
04-03-2018, 08:26 PM
Morgannnn!!! What a goalll!

Ajax TFC
Ashtone Morgan!! I fucking love that man! I think I'm crying

Eastend
Massive!!!

notthesun
The best fucking play of Morgan's career, holy fuck!!!!

OgtheDim
04-03-2018, 08:29 PM
He was there when we were shit

Richard
04-03-2018, 08:30 PM
Morgan's a club legend. Been through the worst and best times.

Glad to see a revival after so many injuries.

Ajax TFC
04-03-2018, 08:41 PM
I really hope Morgan never leaves. He needs to retire a red with over 250 games played

wopchop
04-03-2018, 08:45 PM
That was a great play. Incredible effort on Morgan's part hustling forward like a god damn rocket ship.

Richard
04-03-2018, 08:55 PM
The most memorable TFC games have been in the rain, this is one of them.

Eastend
04-03-2018, 08:56 PM

So true

ManUtd4ever
04-03-2018, 09:04 PM
Down 3 key starters, that was an incredibly gutsy performance. This team continues to defy the odds in this tournament.

On a side note, it was a special moment seeing Morgan score that huge goal for us in such a crucial game. He was fantastic today.

ag futbol
04-03-2018, 09:12 PM
That was a great game. Club America felt like they were trying quite a bit more than Tigres in the last round.

Great to see Morgan get that last one!

Yohan
04-03-2018, 09:23 PM
Man. What a game from Morgan. You know how we thought LB/LWB was a position that required more depth b/c we lost Edwards and didn't know if Morgan can step up? Turns out that Morgan is capable of filling in. He's been learning from Morrow and Vanney. We have depth in all positions for sure.

T-boy
04-03-2018, 09:25 PM
What a game, and what an outstanding performance from Morgan! The commitment to start that move and keep running to score it, wow!

ManUtd4ever
04-03-2018, 09:26 PM
That was a great game. Club America felt like they were trying quite a bit more than Tigres in the last round.

Great to see Morgan get that last one!

Although the score didn't reflect it, Club America is a stronger side than Tigres, especially on their backline.

benito
04-03-2018, 09:27 PM
Epic goal by Morgan. That could be vital for the aggregate.

Does Gio miss the next match because of the yellow?

Oldtimer
04-03-2018, 09:28 PM
Exciting game. A score good enough for a fighting chance at Azteca. So happy for Morgan! He may have forced his way into being a starter again.

SirBobSaget
04-03-2018, 09:30 PM
Came on to post how happy I was for Morgan, then was also happy to see the last page of posts were about him. He has been gaining in confidence with every start, from afraid to make a forward pass to one touching through balls then smashing in one of the biggest goals in club history.

OgtheDim
04-03-2018, 09:31 PM

No.

All our DP's are one yellow away from missing the next match.

SirBobSaget
04-03-2018, 09:32 PM
Epic goal by Morgan. That could be vital for the aggregate.

Bradley and Altidore were the only ones at risk. Bradley was very close to missing out :(

SirBobSaget
04-03-2018, 09:33 PM
No.

All our DP's are one yellow away from missing the next match.

Does it reset for finals? That's kinda lame if it doesn't. Bradleys yellow was way back vs Colorado

mowe
04-03-2018, 09:33 PM
It is incredible how far this team has come.

Perfectly fitting that it was Morgan who scored to put us up 3-1 against Club America. The one guy on our roster who has been through it all.

Ajax TFC
04-03-2018, 09:35 PM
Man. What a game from Morgan. You know how we thought LB/LWB was a position that required more depth b/c we lost Edwards and didn't know if Morgan can step up? Turns out that Morgan is capable of filling in. He's been learning from Morrow and Vanney. We have depth in all positions for sure.
Seems a lot of people (myself included) kinda assumed Morgan would have been left behind by the improvement from worst team in the world during MLS 2.0 to best team in league history in MLS 3.0. Love that he's still making a place for himself

Rodgesico
04-03-2018, 09:43 PM
Just watched America's coach Herrera's press conference he is claiming Toronto police assaulted 3 of America's players at half time.

Ajax TFC
04-03-2018, 09:45 PM
Just watched America's coach Herrera's press conference he is claiming Toronto police assaulted 3 of America's players at half time.
Herrera is a clown. He should be glad his GK isn't charged with assaulting an officer

OgtheDim
04-03-2018, 09:48 PM

Vanney basically said words to the affect of

"I saw it all - that's not what happened"

ag futbol
04-03-2018, 09:50 PM
Although the score didn't reflect it, Club America is a stronger side than Tigres, especially on their backline.
Ya agreed. I thought their coaching was a little naive. As someone pointed out on the broadcast, they released their fullbacks quite a bit and we just torched them on the counter.

Richard
04-03-2018, 09:52 PM
Bunch of twats. Hope we smash them in Mexico.

Rodgesico
04-03-2018, 09:56 PM
Interesting events in that tunnel once again, it just might get its own place on the wall of fame.

RealG-TFC
04-03-2018, 09:58 PM
Someone needs to set up a 24h live feed of that tunnel.

Rodgesico
04-03-2018, 10:00 PM
I would watch that

ag futbol
04-03-2018, 10:00 PM
Vanney basically said words to the affect of

"I saw it all - that's not what happened"
I’m sure upon further questioning I’m Herrera will provide a totally robust description of the event in question

https://media1.tenor.com/images/60c8fc32663bfbedc6b35cfcea79b898/tenor.gif?itemid=5629397

sidney
04-03-2018, 10:04 PM
Which "Johnny" (Conway or Osorio or ?) had his nose elbowed by the Club America Ass-Coach?

Vanney said you should take pictures of it. Any info/pics yet?

OgtheDim
04-03-2018, 10:07 PM
https://twitter.com/RudiSchuller/status/981365029063737344

Schuller then does a correction - was 2 Club America staff.

Rodgesico
04-03-2018, 10:16 PM
Wow, Herrera said that CONCACAF officials saw the insident and he is hoping they file a report.

MightyDM
04-03-2018, 10:17 PM
You know if players are missing out due to injury for this game then they're probably in a really bad state. Vazquez, in particular, is scary because he's gotten progressively worse (sub for Tigres at home, unused sub for Tigres away and now not even on the bench). Giving Morgan the start in this game is quite the statement of support from Vanney, was expecting to see Auro on the left with Hasler or VDW on the right if Morrow wasn't available.

Edit: Can I also just say that it's nice to see what is traditionally our last midfield man / token homegrown signing making the bench the last two games. Seeing Aparicio then Mannella rot and then Camargo last season was rough hopefully Fraser doesn't suffer the same fate.

Morgan repaid Vanney’s faith with excellent defensive work in the second half. Liking Vanney more and more. And that goal!

Detroit_TFC
04-03-2018, 10:20 PM
Quite excited about Morgan's revival. He's been through it all.

Detroit_TFC
04-03-2018, 10:21 PM
Absolutely loving the storylines coming out of this, 2nd leg is going to be crazy.

MightyDM
04-03-2018, 10:22 PM

Damn right.

OgtheDim
04-03-2018, 10:22 PM
Herrara has - ahem...priors for extravagant demonstrations not always including reality.

Lets see them file a report

Then TFC throws CONCACAF a copy of the tunnel video.

This story ends tonight.

Globetrotter
04-03-2018, 10:23 PM
Wow, Herrera said that CONCACAF officials saw the insident and he is hoping they file a report.

Definitely not plural. The officials were at midfield, along with a couple CA players still complaining. I knew something was going on in the tunnel because Altidore came to midfield to get the attention of the officials that something was going on. He was pointing to have them go in there.

MightyDM
04-03-2018, 10:25 PM
What a bunch of gobsheits.

MightyDM
04-03-2018, 10:26 PM
And I was go8ng to compliment Club America, because wining aside, they came to play, and despite the conditions, play they did.

notthesun
04-03-2018, 10:29 PM
Spanish call of all our goals: https://twitter.com/JogaBonito_USA/status/981362688239513600

And none of the TFC youtube clips show the full sequence of Morgan's goal, but this twitter clip has it. I can still barely believe this goal. Morgan starts it, continues it with a perfect cross-field ball on his right foot, then busts his ass into the box and finishes it. What a god damn play.

https://twitter.com/TSN_Sports/status/981342110636040192

Rodgesico
04-03-2018, 10:34 PM
Larson's take (http://torontosun.com/sports/soccer/mls/toronto-fc/toronto-fcs-jonathan-osorio-claims-he-was-assaulted-by-club-america-coach-during-halftime-melee#click=https://t.co/mtOoMd5rW0)

ag futbol
04-03-2018, 10:39 PM
He also said he felt aggrieved about the officials forcing his players to change their undershirts before the game.

Not that he’s searching for excuses or anything...

Oldtimer
04-03-2018, 10:40 PM
Does it reset for finals? That's kinda lame if it doesn't. Bradleys yellow was way back vs Colorado

Unlike the MLS Cup, there is no reset. Yes it is lame. Yes it is CONCACAF.

Areathrasher
04-03-2018, 10:54 PM
Miguel Hererra got the sack from the Mexican National Team gig for knocking out a journo after winning the Gold Cup.

He's talking bollocks.

Any real aggro, he'd be straight in there.

ensco
04-03-2018, 11:06 PM
That was the single best game TFC has ever played.

Dv23
04-03-2018, 11:06 PM
Did Gio not get a yellow in a previous game (kicking the ball away/complaining to the ref? Something along those lines?) I'm concerned that he's out next game.

Joe Kool
04-03-2018, 11:15 PM
Did Gio not get a yellow in a previous game (kicking the ball away/complaining to the ref? Something along those lines?) I'm concerned that he's out next game.

Only Bradley and Altidore were on yellows.

As far as the tunnel incident it is interesting to read that something happened. I saw one of the CA coaches elbow Giovinco in the face on purpose just as they were entering the tunnel. I wondered if that would have sparked something.

James17930
04-03-2018, 11:23 PM
Fantastically entertaining game. Leaped out of my seat when Morgan scored.

Can't believe we have to wait 1 week for the next game. I won't be able to sleep.

Joe Kool
04-03-2018, 11:23 PM
After seeing the team play tonight....I don't think we should ever be losing against MLS teams....or is it just me?

James17930
04-03-2018, 11:26 PM
After seeing the team play tonight....I don't think we should ever be losing against MLS teams....or is it just me?

Undefeated for the rest of the season sounds great to me :)

ensco
04-03-2018, 11:26 PM
It started on the field the second the halftime whistle blew.

3 or 4 players were jockeying Seba and in his face while leaving the field.

Hamilton_Red
04-03-2018, 11:40 PM
Quite excited about Morgan's revival. He's been through it all.

Tears in my eyes when he scored that third. He had played so well all game long doing the important things. He started that play and the speed he ran to finish it was incredible. So determined. So nice to see for a lad that has endured everything. He has got better every game that he has played since coming back. So happy for him.

Hamilton_Red
04-03-2018, 11:41 PM
By the way..regarding the penalty. It was a stonewaller for me. Caldwell can get to fuck with that commentary - tired of his BS.

Hamilton_Red
04-03-2018, 11:51 PM
And the other thing...Van der Wiel has arrived the guy has improved every match. He fits in well is absolutely solid and now is ready to start every game. Auro is in the same situation - has fit in well and is quality. Really hop that Mavinga is back for the Azteca. That line up with Mavinga for Zavs could do the job.

James17930
04-04-2018, 12:45 AM
By the way..regarding the penalty. It was a stonewaller for me. Caldwell can get to fuck with that commentary - tired of his BS.

I agree ... I mean, I don't really see how anyone can have any arguments about it. It was pretty cut and dry.

And the other thing...Van der Wiel has arrived the guy has improved every match. He fits in well is absolutely solid and now is ready to start every game. Auro is in the same situation - has fit in well and is quality. Really hop that Mavinga is back for the Azteca. That line up with Mavinga for Zavs could do the job.

Yes, vdW and Auro are now fully embedded in the team and are playing excellently. Aketxe still has some learning to do, but honestly, with the way that Delgado and Oso are playing now, he's gonna have a hard time breaking into the line-up. I actually wouldn't be surprised to see him go back to Bilbao at the end of this season (if he can't find his place in the team shortly, I mean).

molenshtain
04-04-2018, 01:01 AM
That may have been Delgado's best game for us. Osorio and Morgan were great too.

This Club America team is a classless group of entitled shits. I'm going to be so happy seeing us leave the Azteca with a result.

perr6470
04-04-2018, 03:50 AM
Just watched it early doors over here in the UK....buzzing! A fantastic team effort :scarf:

Derko
04-04-2018, 06:33 AM

Actually I thought America's backline was not that good

Derko
04-04-2018, 06:36 AM

Caldwell's commentary is trying to be so non-biased that he actually is more biased towards the opposing team. You are a TFC commentator, be a fucking homer for god's sake.
Some of his comments are just asinine.

Ultra & Proud
04-04-2018, 06:48 AM

They definitely don't have the same attacking prowess of Tigres. Tigres just swarm in waves and it seemed relentless, home and away. Plus they were bigger and competed in the air. On paper America is the stronger defensive unit but I don't see it. I watched the past few of their Liga MX matches and the backline makes a lot of errors, not unlike the ones Bono & Zavaleta did a few times last night. I know the table doesn't reflect it but for me Tigres is a much better put together squad.

Initial B
04-04-2018, 07:22 AM
Still buzzed from last night. I have real hope that TFC can get a result at Azteca.

Caldwell's commentary is trying to be so non-biased that he actually is more biased towards the opposing team. You are a TFC commentator, be a fucking homer for god's sake.
Some of his comments are just asinine. Actually, I thought his team-effacing comments were very Canadian of him. g:D

ensco
04-04-2018, 07:27 AM
I would love to see a montage of the sheer number of one touch passing combos we executed flawlessly in this game. A lot along the touch line, or otherwise in a phone booth. It would take a while to get through them all.

We are just better than Club America.

OgtheDim
04-04-2018, 07:44 AM
When we string together good quick passing, we are almost unplayable

https://twitter.com/JogaBonito_USA/status/981508649163149312

C.Ronaldo
04-04-2018, 07:47 AM
At what point does Bono improve with the ball at his feet? Maybe I'm being too critical ...or Ceasar spoiled me

rydermike
04-04-2018, 07:53 AM
Any full match replay streams? Missed the game last night due to a conflict and forgot to pvr it. I've seen the highlights but a full match stream would be amazing

Joe Kool
04-04-2018, 08:10 AM
It started on the field the second the halftime whistle blew.

3 or 4 players were jockeying Seba and in his face while leaving the field.

Yeah I was watching that then saw this CA coach/staff make a straight line for Giovinco and pushed just in front of him then elbow him in the face just at the entrance to the tunnel. I thought something may come of that but everyone disappeared into the tunnel so I didn't see anything else.

Joe Kool
04-04-2018, 08:15 AM
Herrara has - ahem...priors for extravagant demonstrations not always including reality.

This story ends tonight.

Hopefully after the NYRB incident they installed a few more cameras for different angles so that crap couldn't happen again and not get caught on camera.

Joe Kool
04-04-2018, 08:23 AM

I was at the game so didn't hear his commentary on this one but that was always my issue with him and stated that on this forum in the past. He does exactly what you said and it is annoying.

RedsYNWA
04-04-2018, 08:26 AM
My opinions.. Van der wiel was very impressive as was Zavs of all people. Oso was solid, Morgan was great.

Not so good---- Bono, at least half a dozen Poor distributions Bush league keeping his worse game so far

flatpicker
04-04-2018, 08:29 AM

TSN needs some borrow from the MLS model and bring in some DP announcers.
lol

Canary10
04-04-2018, 08:33 AM
Amazing game. Love that Morgan scored that goal. That was the best moment. I honestly wish we could play Mexican teams more often. The games are far better - watching that really just shows the bottom 1/2 to 2/3 of MLS is still so far behind the top teams. We'd be a much better team if we played to this level game in and game out.

pfk
04-04-2018, 08:36 AM
Here's the press conference with Herrera which shows some video in the tunnel. Most of the video is from afar so you can't see much. There is a bit of a shove by the policeman on America goalie when he gets in his face (:59 mark) but it's hard to make out what's going on. The video is embedded in the article:

https://deadspin.com/miguel-herrera-says-toronto-cops-assaulted-his-players-1824305321

SirBobSaget
04-04-2018, 08:40 AM
That may have been Delgado's best game for us. Osorio and Morgan were great too.

This Club America team is a classless group of entitled shits. I'm going to be so happy seeing us leave the Azteca with a result.

Quite the opposite from Tigres who are nothing but class.

Anyone else think Perelta is a Diego Costa doppleganger? Yet another reason to dislike America

Canary10
04-04-2018, 08:57 AM
I'm amazed at our ability to score at just the right time in these matches. We seem to be scoring right at times to really change the flow and put teams on the back foot. Our finishing has been superb.

cmonyoureds
04-04-2018, 09:00 AM

This story ends tonight.

Classic managing strategy.
Walked into a game where he was on record saying the team couldn't compete with his.
Got to half time where the team was not only competing but outplaying.
His history shows this might be one of his........ cough...... strategies
Headlines comment on the brouhaha, not his teams play, and ensure a particularly hostile crowd for the return leg

C.Ronaldo
04-04-2018, 09:05 AM
Here's the press conference with Herrera which shows some video in the tunnel. Most of the video is from afar so you can't see much. There is a bit of a shove by the policeman on America goalie when he gets in his face (:59 mark) but it's hard to make out what's going on. The video is embedded in the article:

https://deadspin.com/miguel-herrera-says-toronto-cops-assaulted-his-players-1824305321

pretty sure if I got in the face of a Mexican police officer my passport would be confiscated pretty quickly

C.Ronaldo
04-04-2018, 09:09 AM
there needs to be repercussions for the CA coaches that clearly had this planned out.

Im sure they saw the NYRB tapes and tried to sucker a TFC player into a red car while only a coach gets booted

this is beyond unprofessional and sours the game

Blkndkr
04-04-2018, 09:09 AM
I thought Zavaleta and Moor were the weakest links. They can’t handle the pressure and give up the ball too easily. Bradley started off slow, but was incredible defensively for most of the game. Impressive.

Kind of agree on Bono, but I attribute most of his issues to the crazy weather.

My opinions.. Van der wiel was very impressive as was Zavs of all people. Oso was solid, Morgan was great.

Not so good---- Bono, at least half a dozen Poor distributions Bush league keeping his worse game so far

rydermike
04-04-2018, 09:15 AM
Just noticed through the first 4 games (Saprisa, Tauro) , America let in 3 goals all tournament. We put 3 on them in one game

tfcfans
04-04-2018, 09:16 AM
Another crazy night at BMO where something strange happens when the weather gets worse the games get better most of the time -- last night had a little of the vibe of the Montreal game in the ECF in 2016.....I agree with others that Zavaleta and Moor are still frightening back there but considering we had no Morrow or Mavinga, the options were somewhat limited.....

Rene Kingsriver
04-04-2018, 09:31 AM
Have we lost at home to a Mexican team? I remember beating Cruz Azul and a tie with Santos Laguna in previous years.

As an aside well done to security for appropriately handling the fight in my row in 115

stevep
04-04-2018, 09:43 AM

he stopped what i thought was a sure goal by Club America in the second half

SoccMan2
04-04-2018, 09:45 AM
Have we lost at home to a Mexican team? I remember beating Cruz Azul and a tie with Santos Laguna in previous years.

As an aside well done to security for appropriately handling the fight in my row in 115
Was the fight between two rival fans? The only thing that upset me was in my section a Club America fan celebrated the Club America goal by turning around and taunting the rest of us TFC fans behind him after their goal, you don’t do that when your in someone else’s stadium, you celebrate yes but you don’t turn around and taunt everyone else around you, try doing that in their stadium and you will probably get smacked.

flatpicker
04-04-2018, 09:48 AM
Im sure they saw the NYRB tapes and tried to sucker a TFC player into a red car while only a coach gets booted

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/ImpressiveGlitteringCanary-size_restricted.gif

C.Ronaldo
04-04-2018, 09:52 AM
https://thumbs.gfycat.com/ImpressiveGlitteringCanary-size_restricted.gif

haha, classic concacaf gif

rydermike
04-04-2018, 10:09 AM
In terms of the tunnel, not sure how wide it is but maybe they can do what the Raptors do and have a gate down the middle of it with each team on one side. Now I know the tfc tunnel is much longer with the teams beside, but a gate would easily show who is on the wrong side and eliminate any excuse you have

Example of raps https://youtube.com/watch?v=3WuDCWelR9g

ensco
04-04-2018, 10:15 AM
Giovinco and Altidore are unstoppable. They have a ridiculous record of coming through in big games. Just astonishing. Every team spends all week working on a gameplan to try to deal with them. It mostly doesn't work.

Both have an edge to their game - Gio with the whining/flopping, Altidore because almost every ball to him involves meaningful physical contact, usually a foul by somebody.

Both also have the same achilles heel - their temper. Both can be goaded into cards.

So.... Presto! Teams are getting in their faces. Hard. This is a very deliberate strategy that is only going to increase. NYRB came thisclose to pulling it off.

—————————————

I am fine acknowledging that the Giovinco PK was a 50/50 call and that he helped it along. Those are both true. This is elite world football, it's pretty common, like it or lump it, and for once in my life I have a big slice of “Italia” on my side.

ManUtd4ever
04-04-2018, 10:26 AM
Actually I thought America's backline was not that good

Really? I thought they they kept the scoreline respectable.

ManUtd4ever
04-04-2018, 10:29 AM
I would love to see a montage of the sheer number of one touch passing combos we executed flawlessly in this game. A lot along the touch line, or otherwise in a phone booth. It would take a while to get through them all.

We are just better than Club America.

I think the elements played a part in last night's game. They will be much more difficult to handle on their own pitch.

Nonetheless, full credit to TFC for a masterful performance last night.

RedsYNWA
04-04-2018, 10:29 AM
I'm impressed we beat out the Blue Jays Attendance in that shitty weather

Hamilton_Red
04-04-2018, 10:32 AM
Amazing game. Love that Morgan scored that goal. That was the best moment. I honestly wish we could play Mexican teams more often. The games are far better - watching that really just shows the bottom 1/2 to 2/3 of MLS is still so far behind the top teams. We'd be a much better team if we played to this level game in and game out.

100% agree with this. I wish there was a way that we could take the top 12-16 teams and make them play each other and let the bottom 12-16 teams play each other. Can't really think of a way though. There are team that are ready to spend big & there are others that want 2-3 million salary cap.

JonO
04-04-2018, 10:40 AM
Really? I thought they they kept the scoreline respectable.
That was my take on it as well. I thought they did quite well breaking up a lot of our give and go's and one touch passes in the final third. I was surprised how big and strong they were.

I agree with someone earlier that Tigres seemed to be more threatening going forward though.

C.Ronaldo
04-04-2018, 10:40 AM
100% agree with this. I wish there was a way that we could take the top 12-16 teams and make them play each other and let the bottom 12-16 teams play each other. Can't really think of a way though. There are team that are ready to spend big & there are others that want 2-3 million salary cap.

if the champions league grows in popularity, teh eventually it'll will grow in game volume and this will happen.

weather is a big factor though

ensco
04-04-2018, 10:42 AM
I think the elements played a part in last night's game. They will be much more difficult to handle on their own pitch.

We'll see. I didn’t see the same level of attacking flair in the final third that Tigres showed. I thought Tigres misfired a lot against us, we were just very lucky against them, but that we actually handled America on attack.

Peralta in particular was invisible. I have vivid memories of him tearing us apart at Santos Laguna. He is not that player anymore. (Of course, we are not that team anymore!)

We'll know more when we see Quintero in Minnesota, but if they sold him for $200K because they think Dominguez and Peralta and this Martin guy are the answer, that seems dumb to me.

C.Ronaldo
04-04-2018, 10:43 AM
We'll see. I didn’t see the same level of attacking flair in the final third that Tigres showed. I thought Tigres misfired a bunch of times against us, but that we actually handled these guys on attack.

and mavinga out there shuts down those few dribble throughs down the middle

Hamilton_Red
04-04-2018, 10:47 AM

Giovinco in his post match comment said that the pitch was terrible and that made it more difficult for TFC.

ag futbol
04-04-2018, 10:49 AM
TSN needs some borrow from the MLS model and bring in some DP announcers.
lol
I also detest Caldwell. He’s just a less whiny but equally negative version of DeVos.

luke wileman Deserves credit though. He’s legitimately great at what he does.

Rene Kingsriver
04-04-2018, 10:54 AM
Was the fight between two rival fans? The only thing that upset me was in my section a Club America fan celebrated the Club America goal by turning around and taunting the rest of us TFC fans behind him after their goal, you don’t do that when your in someone else’s stadium, you celebrate yes but you don’t turn around and taunt everyone else around you, try doing that in their stadium and you will probably get smacked.

Yes exact same scenario, two CA fans in 115, not sure what was the specific trigger but after Ashtone scored one of them got into it with the TFC regular in front, few haymakers thrown and pushing etc but we broke it up and cops and security moved the CA fans out and allowed the TFC boys back to their seats.

Rene Kingsriver
04-04-2018, 10:57 AM
I also detest Caldwell. He’s just a less whiny but equally negative version of DeVos.

luke wileman Deserves credit though. He’s legitimately great at what he does.

it upsets me to say it because I've met him and he seems a great guy and said very complimentary things about my other team who he played for but he really is not very good as a colour commentator.

GuelphStorm2007
04-04-2018, 11:11 AM

luke wileman Deserves credit though. He’s legitimately great at what he does.Bring back "mAKE THAT THE FINAL" Vic Rauter I do agree Luke Willeman does do a good job