PDA

View Full Version : Match Day 3 - RSL @ TFC Friday March 30 8pm - Its Gonna Be a Good Day, a fine day

OgtheDim
03-21-2018, 11:20 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YXxd8mmup4M

Have at It People

nick.mastro
03-22-2018, 07:54 AM
Any updates on Mavinga and Morrow injuries?

Oldtimer
03-22-2018, 09:50 AM
I know we live in a secular society, but I'm wondering why the league would put a match on Passover (starts at sundown) and Good Friday? TV ratings? It's not like Saturday is a work day.

TFC07
03-22-2018, 10:07 AM
I know we live in a secular society, but I'm wondering why the league would put a match on Passover (starts at sundown) and Good Friday? TV ratings? It's not like Saturday is a work day.

I think it's TSN who want us playing on Fridays until CFL season starts.

ScarboroughRed
03-22-2018, 10:38 AM

Sucks, exactly the reason that I can't attend. Wish it was a Saturday game. :(

Red CB Toronto
03-22-2018, 11:54 AM

I won't be there. Even though I am not overly religious I will be up in Ottawa visiting family over the long weekend. It would be interesting if a player chose not to play on good Friday, would not be there first time.

OgtheDim
03-22-2018, 12:23 PM
Interestingly, RSL actively avoids Sunday games.

azorean
03-22-2018, 01:06 PM
a lot has changed in 70 years.....

In the early 1950s Toronto had a Sunday sports curfew that prevented games starting before 1:30 p.m. and they had to be done by 6 p.m.The ridiculousness of the curfew was brought home in 1951. A Saturday evening playoff hockey game between the Leafs and Boston Bruins, tied at 1-1, had to stop overtime just before midnight because the Sunday curfew would not allow the game to continue after midnight. The entire game was scrapped and the series moved on to Boston.

I was reading where it was always difficult for the Maple Leafs of Intercounty baseball ( only baseball in town at that time ) to complete doubleheaders on Sunday, they had to call off the 2nd game midway due to the curfew and resume it the next time they faced the same team.

Wooster_TFC
03-22-2018, 02:22 PM
Because of their fan base.

https://www.deseretnews.com/article/865625045/Home-games-on-the-Sabbath-RSL-president-explains-why-Sunday-matches-are-needed.html

azorean
03-22-2018, 02:29 PM
I always confuse Mormons with Adventists for some reason, I'm ignorant, different Sabbaths I learned BUT I would understand why you would not / should not schedule Sunday games in Utah.

C.Ronaldo
03-23-2018, 08:21 AM
have we had a friday game before?

also, being good friday and pass-over, will there be fish and unleavened bread options :)

sadly, i wont be able to make this as well due to family events.

Oldtimer
03-24-2018, 02:04 PM
Because of their fan base.

https://www.deseretnews.com/article/865625045/Home-games-on-the-Sabbath-RSL-president-explains-why-Sunday-matches-are-needed.html

Bill Manning was their director at the time. Interesting.

Blindside16
03-26-2018, 03:35 AM
It is way to early in the season to call this a must win, but I feel we need a positive result here just for moral reasons.

Fort York Redcoat
03-26-2018, 11:28 AM
have we had a friday game before?

also, being good friday and pass-over, will there be fish and unleavened bread options :)

sadly, i wont be able to make this as well due to family events.

Pretty sure our first GOOD Friday match.

It's fine. Oso is ready. Tos, too. Don't forget Morgan. They all played well this past weekend.

James17930
03-27-2018, 01:24 AM
It is way to early in the season to call this a must win, but I feel we need a positive result here just for moral reasons.

I don't think it's too early ... this is a must-win. Can't go 0-3 to start the season, and even a draw would feel inadequate.

Derko
03-27-2018, 06:15 AM
I don't think it's too early ... this is a must-win. Can't go 0-3 to start the season, and even a draw would feel inadequate.

I agree, it really is a must win in my opinion. TFC have to be ruthless
:flare::scarf::drum::drinking:

OgtheDim
03-27-2018, 06:36 AM
Western team at home - always demand a win.

ensco
03-27-2018, 06:47 AM
We have been in a lot of must win games lately. Friday is not one of them.

We do want to win. But I am not going to get after anyone if it doesn't happen. The primary job Friday night is getting set for Tuesday.

I am not getting my shorts in a knot over the fact that we may not win the SS.

We know this team can rip off a big streak post CCL.

MightyDM
03-27-2018, 09:04 AM
It will be interesting to see what Vanney does with the midfield. All season he has gone with what he thinks is the best lineup for the day, never appearing to have half an eye on the next game ( except possibly with the subs). The new guys have failed to convince ( including VdW). Hasler did well in his time on while Bradley was off his game last match, partly because Delgado didn’t start, yet Delgado is away with USMNT. VV still seems to be hurt, and back 8njuries can be debilitating. Added to all that, Vanney said that Osorio was the best player on the pitch in the Canada game.

notthesun
03-27-2018, 09:23 AM
From Vanney's latest comments I expect Morgan to start at LB, Morrow probably needs the rest to be ready for Tuesday.

I would give Vazquez 45-60 minutes to try to get him up to speed as we will probably need him for 90 minutes vs. America.

MightyDM
03-27-2018, 09:47 AM
From Vanney's latest comments I expect Morgan to start at LB, Morrow probably needs the rest to be ready for Tuesday.

I would give Vazquez 45-60 minutes to try to get him up to speed as we will probably need him for 90 minutes vs. America.

both those make sense. But what about Axteke, Hasler, Delgado? Where to they fit in? If Morgan is starting I am guessing Van der Weil starts for experience, but Auro sure has earned a start. Nice dilemmas. They might put Ricketts on to go more direct, as well, given Vanney’s comments about ball movement. On the other hand,he seems to be treating this run like the playoffs: best available 11 given the formation he wants to play.

MightyDM
03-27-2018, 09:48 AM
Also, Morgan was wide open the whole time he was on, and they almost never passed to him. They need to use that width better

notthesun
03-27-2018, 09:54 AM
both those make sense. But what about Axteke, Hasler, Delgado? Where to they fit in? If Morgan is starting I am guessing Van der Weil starts for experience, but Auro sure has earned a start. Nice dilemmas. They might put Ricketts on to go more direct, as well, given Vanney’s comments about ball movement. On the other hand,he seems to be treating this run like the playoffs: best available 11 given the formation he wants to play.

I think I would do Vazquez, Oso, and either Delgado or Hasler in midfield, can't decide on them. Ricketts in place of Altidore, who's looked a little sluggish lately (but I trust him to bring it on Tuesday, he seems to live for those big home games).

I wouldn't mind seeing VdW start this one and Auro start on Tuesday. Auro's been better going forward thus far and we need the goals, I'd rather not head to Mexico in that tie with just a one goal advantage again.

Hamilton_Red
03-27-2018, 10:17 AM
I think I would do Vazquez, Oso, and either Delgado or Hasler in midfield, can't decide on them. Ricketts in place of Altidore, who's looked a little sluggish lately (but I trust him to bring it on Tuesday, he seems to live for those big home games).

I wouldn't mind seeing VdW start this one and Auro start on Tuesday. Auro's been better going forward thus far and we need the goals, I'd rather not head to Mexico in that tie with just a one goal advantage again.

We might be hoping for too much. We haven't scored in MLS and not freely in CONCACAF. We really need to get some goal scoring swagger back on Friday. I'd start Victor if he is healthy...if he doesn't play on Friday he shouldn't play on Tuesday. We have to get Rickets back on the pitch to have something different up front. I'd give Jozy 60 minutes on Friday and Rickets 30.

Any updates on Mavinga? Is he back to fitness?

PizzaEatingYeti
03-27-2018, 02:03 PM

Same here!
If we do not win, we can get in such a hole, that we can say already good bye to the Supporter's shield... with New York looking so far like a metronome.
What if they can keep up like this all year long?

ManUtd4ever
03-27-2018, 02:18 PM
It's not a must win, but we really need a strong performance, and preferably, 3 points. We haven't scored a goal in 2 regular season games, which is baffling considering the talent on this squad.

The CCL is obviously the primary focus, but we still have to get back on course in MLS.

azorean
03-27-2018, 03:45 PM
We have been in a lot of must win games lately. Friday is not one of them.

We do want to win. But I am not going to get after anyone if it doesn't happen. The primary job Friday night is getting set for Tuesday.

I am not getting my shorts in a knot over the fact that we may not win the SS.

We know this team can rip off a big streak post CCL.

I agree with you many times, and for the most part agree with you here, but I think I am in-between the "We Have to Win" and the "We Want to Win " opinion. In other words, I'm waffling. I mean , granted, we have bigger fish to fry at this point in CCL BUT at the same time 2 losses in MLS, ugly as they were, you kind of need a response here, hopefully a winning response. I know I said CCL is a priority, it is, and there is still ample time in the MLS season, but you don't want to throw away the early season at the same time. A home loss, after much rest, vs a sub par, injury riddled , non playoff team would be a bit concerning here in this situation,

ensco
03-27-2018, 05:33 PM
“Must win” would mean Vazquez, Morrow and Giovinco go 90 minutes if at all possible.

James17930
03-27-2018, 07:06 PM
“Must win” would mean Vazquez, Morrow and Giovinco go 90 minutes if at all possible.

Morrow seems like he's highly questionable at this point. Wouldn't be surprised to see Auro play LW/LB.

Alonso
03-27-2018, 08:46 PM
It will be interesting to see what Vanney does with the midfield. All season he has gone with what he thinks is the best lineup for the day, never appearing to have half an eye on the next game ( except possibly with the subs). The new guys have failed to convince ( including VdW). Hasler did well in his time on while Bradley was off his game last match, partly because Delgado didn’t start, yet Delgado is away with USMNT. VV still seems to be hurt, and back 8njuries can be debilitating. Added to all that, Vanney said that Osorio was the best player on the pitch in the Canada game.

Yup that was what I posted in the post match thread.

Osorio is upping his game big time over the last year.

I watched the whole game live stream and Osorio was the anchor (the Bradley to the team.. settling the plays, making the smart passes, recovering the missed passes and plays) he was the key man.

I will grant you that the team was probably Canada's "C" team with some of the young prospects getting blooded but its still a great accomplishment for a local player to effectively captain the national team. (I know he wasn't the captain, but you get my drift)

Carter
03-27-2018, 09:13 PM
Osorio is upping his game big time over the last year.

I watched the whole game live stream and Osorio was the anchor (the Bradley to the team.. settling the plays, making the smart passes, recovering the missed passes and plays) he was the key man.

1. Contract year, he is the only member of the team without a contract for next year...
2. Why can’t he play every game like this, it would actually make me like him more... :scarf:

Derko
03-28-2018, 06:45 AM
1. Contract year, he is the only member of the team without a contract for next year...
2. Why can’t he play every game like this, it would actually make me like him more... :scarf:

1. No contract motivates people.

2. I think there was a spell were Osorio seemed to have lost his confidence.

I can say that I am probably one of Osorio's biggest critics, but when he has played well. have applauded him, and hope he continues to play well.

Graeme
03-28-2018, 03:11 PM
Haven't seen too many updates on our injured players, but I'm guessing this for Friday:

--------------------Bono--------------------
---------Hagglund--Moor--Mavinga-------
--van der Wiel--------------------Morgan--
----Aketxe----Bradley----Osorio-------
---------Giovinco--Altidore-------------

With Auro, Vasquez and Ricketts getting a fair amount time (which Vanney rarely does), depending on how the game goes...

Ultra & Proud
03-28-2018, 03:34 PM
Haven't seen too many updates on our injured players, but I'm guessing this for Friday:

--------------------Bono--------------------
---------Hagglund--Moor--Mavinga-------
--van der Wiel--------------------Morgan--
----Aketxe----Bradley----Osorio-------
---------Giovinco--Altidore-------------

With Auro, Vasquez and Ricketts getting a fair amount time (which Vanney rarely does), depending on how the game goes...

I'd say rest some guys for Tuesday but I bet Vanney won't.

Definitely Zavaleta instead of Hagglund though. No idea why but it's what Vanney prefers.

OgtheDim
03-28-2018, 06:50 PM
One day we will have a game where its double digit temperatures....one day.

Carter
03-28-2018, 07:09 PM
1. No contract motivates people.

2. I think there was a spell were Osorio seemed to have lost his confidence.

I can say that I am probably one of Osorio's biggest critics, but when he has played well. have applauded him, and hope he continues to play well.

1. Money motivates people...

Lurchizo
03-28-2018, 08:47 PM
Lads, driving in from the East Coast for the match on Friday. Where are people meeting for some pre-game adult beverages?

Fort York Redcoat
03-29-2018, 09:47 AM
Lads, driving in from the East Coast for the match on Friday. Where are people meeting for some pre-game adult beverages?

Shoeless Joes. E of King and Dufferin.

Abou Sky
03-29-2018, 10:23 AM
I'd say rest some guys for Tuesday but I bet Vanney won't.

Definitely Zavaleta instead of Hagglund though. No idea why but it's what Vanney prefers.

I think it's Vanny's preference because Zavaleta is better with the ball at his feet than Hagglund.

shwade
03-29-2018, 11:38 AM
I think it's Vanny's preference because Zavaleta is better with the ball at his feet than Hagglund.

Yeah that's why lol.

Hagglund makes better passes and is better in the air. I dont think Zavaleta is necessarily better with his feet either.

sn0re
03-29-2018, 11:52 AM
Just wondering, is there still a sanction on the south-end for tomorrow's game? There seemed to be no capo for most of the SGs during the home opener except the RPB section..

portu
03-29-2018, 12:18 PM
I feel like Zavaleta is quicker and better 1v1 and Hagglund is better in the air and positionally. In the end Zavaleta's qualities mean he's better suited to playing the outside of the 3 at the back than Hagglund. Four at the back formation I'd be upset not to see Mavinga and Hagglund though.

OgtheDim
03-29-2018, 12:54 PM
We are really dependent upon Moor's savvy & Mavinga's awareness.

portu
03-29-2018, 12:58 PM
Need to start seeing why Aketxe and VDW were signed. They are luxury signings let's see if we can afford to have them on the roster with more important needs at centreback and for a #8.

notthesun
03-29-2018, 01:39 PM
Some squad rotation may be in the cards.

https://twitter.com/JohnMolinaro/status/979421306570489856

OgtheDim
03-29-2018, 01:42 PM
IMHO

We don't need another #8.

VDW is the starter & will get the time to learn when to go ahead.

Aketxe is going to catch up eventually and get minutes - he's a long term investment.

Thomas
03-29-2018, 03:11 PM
Not or enough playing time yet to make that determination yet. I like both signings.

I feel like Zavaleta is quicker and better 1v1 and Hagglund is better in the air and positionally. In the end Zavaleta's qualities mean he's better suited to playing the outside of the 3 at the back than Hagglund. Four at the back formation I'd be upset not to see Mavinga and Hagglund though.

RedsYNWA
03-29-2018, 03:37 PM
IMO Haggs is the 2nd best Central Def on the team outside of Mavinga....Moor is too slow and most likely in his last season & Zavaletta is hit or miss most nights. We need a Kamil Glik (monaco) type of central defender that we can afford with TAM etc.

MightyDM
03-29-2018, 05:07 PM
1. Money motivates people...

Pride and success motivate people. to suggest that Osorio's improved play is the result of his contract is remarkably inconsistent with the facts. He started playing well in the middle of last season - it was something to do with being dropped and the coaching and motivation that Vannney and his team gave during training. Also to do with the fact that Vanney plays those who earn it. He earned it.

MightyDM
03-29-2018, 05:08 PM
Need to start seeing why Aketxe and VDW were signed. They are luxury signings let's see if we can afford to have them on the roster with more important needs at centreback and for a #8.

Totally agreed that we need to see more from those two.

MightyDM
03-29-2018, 05:11 PM
I think Hagglund hasn't quite gotten back to his best, but he has it in him. Remember how dominant he was in the air v Montreal in 2016? "Don't change the play don't change the play"....

Carter
03-29-2018, 08:59 PM
Pride and success motivate people. to suggest that Osorio's improved play is the result of his contract is remarkably inconsistent with the facts. He started playing well in the middle of last season - it was something to do with being dropped and the coaching and motivation that Vannney and his team gave during training. Also to do with the fact that Vanney plays those who earn it. He earned it.

Think I’m a bit confused on why you are quoting my post, no where have I stated Osorio’s imporoved play is based on contract. I stated facts, he is in a contract year and the only member of the squad without a contract. And the “money motivates people” comment was in response to Derko stating no contracts motivate people, as that is a factually incorrect statement, because money motivates people.

i do agree with portions of your statement though, although I believe he started playing “better”, not “well” mid season, but like everyone has off games and makes bonehead mistakes. He has figured out his strengths and how he fits with the rest of the team. He gets time because he works his ass off (not only game situations, but practice as well), because if you really think mid season last year, that’s when he was on the bottom of the midfield depth chart... :)

im much happier this year, now that he has moved on to grown up socks and matches the rest of the team, instead of short socks cause that was one of my biggest gripes about him last year, :flare:

OgtheDim
03-30-2018, 08:12 AM
GAME DAY!!!! :scarf:

MightyDM
03-30-2018, 08:16 AM
I didn’t notice the socks.....

I understood you to be saying his improved play was motivated by the expiry of his contract. I don’t agree with that because his improved play came after he was dropped and had to fight for his position.

If I misunderstood your post, apologies.

MightyDM
03-30-2018, 08:27 AM
4-4-2 today

VdW-Zavs-Moor-Morgan
Hasler-Oso-Bradley-Aketxe
Ricketts- Givinco

ensco
03-30-2018, 11:21 AM
Here is my view of this game:

Go team. Do your best. But I do not really care, and will not get grumpy if we do not get the result.

We moved straight out of MLS playoff/Cup stress into CCL stress. After that there are important flowers to smell.

I have not yet sat at BMO on a warm summer day or night, beer in hand, truly enjoyed watching our great players, in a stress free, isn't this awesome? sort of way. Or spent lulls looking up absentmindedly at the championship banner. I intend to bask in supporting a championship team, and players I love, properly, and I am not letting the standings interfere with these activities, my/our reward for this magnificent team.

By summer, around the time the World Cup ends, I will have done these things. Then I will engage in the 2018 MLS season.

I will care about the standings, sure, but I will have utter faith that we will be a playoff team, and we will be the playoff team no one wants to see.

molenshtain
03-30-2018, 11:22 AM
Am I the only won completely unimpressed by Aketxe so far? I know he's still coming into fitness and hasn't really been given a role yet so I'm withholding total judgement, but I don't see how Chapman or Hasler wouldn't produce the same if not more right now. Neither get enough playing time even though they probably deserve it.

shwade
03-30-2018, 11:37 AM
Wow 1 and a half games isn't much to go on. Give him some time. He needs time to gel and learn his teammates in-game tendencies.

molenshtain
03-30-2018, 11:42 AM
Here is my view of this game:

Go team. Do your best. But I do not really care, and will not get grumpy if we do not get the result.

We moved straight out of MLS playoff/Cup stress into CCL stress. After that there are important flowers to smell.

I have not yet sat at BMO on a warm summer day or night, beer in hand, truly enjoyed watching our great players, in a stress free, isn't this awesome? sort of way. Or spent lulls looking up absentmindedly at the championship banner. I intend do a lot of these things this year, and I am not letting the standings interfere with any this, my/our reward for this magnificent team.

By summer, around the time the World Cup ends, I will have done these things. Then I will re-engage.

I will care about the standings, sure, but I will have utter faith that we will be a playoff team, and we will be the playoff team no one wants to see.

This.

Pretty much how I feel about the first half of this season. We're undeniably a very talented team with a coach who knows how to get good players to play well together. We have tons of big game players who are able to add an extra gear or two when things get important. We have enough depth to keep us in the mix of things over the first couple months. We'll be fine come the end of the season.

The Current Golden State Warrior's season I think is a pretty good reference point for what our season is going to look like. That's pretty good company to be in.

InDa_110
03-30-2018, 12:20 PM
Attending this evening is Blasphemous for all Jews and Catholics out there!

Kidding!
Enjoy the game!
Go Reds!

Ajax TFC
03-30-2018, 12:58 PM
Am I the only won completely unimpressed by Aketxe so far? I know he's still coming into fitness and hasn't really been given a role yet so I'm withholding total judgement, but I don't see how Chapman or Hasler wouldn't produce the same if not more right now. Neither get enough playing time even though they probably deserve it.
Aketxe lacks chemistry and an understanding of how his role meshes with the rest of the team, which is purely a result of lack of time. The qualities he's shown in his limited minutes are at a significantly higher level than Chapman or Hasler. He just doesn't have the benefit of familiarity that the other players have.

FWIW I remember around this time last year someone saying Vazquez is "certainly no better than Osorio"

MightyDM
03-30-2018, 01:23 PM
I have doubts about Axetke as well. And I certainly don’t remember anyone suggesting Vasquez was no better than Oso at this time last year. Early days, and I hope he works out, but he seems a bit of a luxury now Vasquez has signed for the next several years or so. The midfield is crowded and people like Chapman need and deserve minutes. He was good last year.

ensco
03-30-2018, 01:38 PM
I don't think any of us can evaluate how Aketxe is doing. Most of the evidence will be on the practice pitch. Same for Auro, really. (I mean looking good against a hopeless Colorado team in games they didn't take very seriously, is not that useful.)

Ager hit that 30 yard knuckler off the cross bar against Columbus. If that had hit that 2 cm lower, and it had ducked under the bar, imagine how different the feeling about him would be. I wouldn't get worried just yet.

Ajax TFC
03-30-2018, 02:13 PM
I have doubts about Axetke as well. And I certainly don’t remember anyone suggesting Vasquez was no better than Oso at this time last year. Early days, and I hope he works out, but he seems a bit of a luxury now Vasquez has signed for the next several years or so. The midfield is crowded and people like Chapman need and deserve minutes. He was good last year.
Well unfortunately I can't work the search function to find specific phrases, so I guess we'll just assume I made that up. I just don't like the perception that a new signing is on the verge of being a bust because they don't light the league on fire instantly and are therefore just taking up valuable time that could be given to players that were here first. The guy has obvious qualities that are potentially a level above everyone else competing for that last midfield spot. Sure, he could turn into a Cooper, who couldn't adjust his style to be an effective 90 minute player in this team. But he could also turn out to be as valuable as Vazquez. The potential rewards of giving the guy the time to adapt far outweigh the risk of a Chapman or Hasler losing some minutes. I don't think anyone would look back in hind sight and wish we hadn't signed Vazquez because it reduced Osorio and Chapman's minutes

PizzaEatingYeti
03-30-2018, 02:16 PM
I'm launching a desperate SOS call, in the hope to find a good helping soul! :)

I'm in a place now where I have a terribly week WIFI connection, so just some static websites are working... nothing like videos, or live streams.
I will be in a place with a good internet just beginning from Sunday early morning.

So I can't watch the stream of tonight's game, and I'm used to watch all TFC games live.
I will be very thankful if someone can send a working link through PM (Private message), with the full registered game TFC - RLS, until Sunday morning.
I heard that there are always some registered versions of every MLS game somewhere...

It's important to be a version where the final score it's not shown before the game, on screen, or in some comment right under the video (if it's on youtube for example), because until then I won't even come here to read stuff in the forum threads, being afraid that I will see posted somewhere the score!

Thanks in advance guys!

Go Reds!

:scarf:

molenshtain
03-30-2018, 03:17 PM
Aketxe lacks chemistry and an understanding of how his role meshes with the rest of the team, which is purely a result of lack of time. The qualities he's shown in his limited minutes are at a significantly higher level than Chapman or Hasler. He just doesn't have the benefit of familiarity that the other players have.

FWIW I remember around this time last year someone saying Vazquez is "certainly no better than Osorio"

Could very well be. The only chance I've had to see him live so far was at The Big O', where him and Osorio really really did not play well together. Maybe his technical abilities didn't really shine through on TV in his other appearances. I'm fine being patient but i just haven't personally seen any flashes of brilliance or anything of the sort yet to near justify his wages. I'll be there in person tonight so maybe I'll get a better look.

molenshtain
03-30-2018, 03:20 PM
so, anyway, predictions for tonight:

We have The best three players in the league and we're playing a team who's average age seems to be about 12 years old. We've had a week off, no reason we shouldn't win this easily.

StokeciTFC
03-30-2018, 03:30 PM
so, anyway, predictions for tonight:

We have The best three players in the league and we're playing a team who's average age seems to be about 12 years old. We've had a week off, no reason we shouldn't win this easily.

A 2-0 win for the Reds. A heartening and needed victory but an unconvincing one that still poses questions about coherence and chemistry.

Carter
03-30-2018, 03:40 PM

I agree with you, although I’d like to give Ager a bit more time to adjust and find his fit with the team. Look at Oso, he took time to adjust, find his strengths and his fit. Ager has played 2 regular season games, I think he has a total of 138 minutes played.

As I know you may agree, game situations are much different than training environments, let’s give him a bit more time to adjust before we throw him to the wolves, I think he’s going to fit great with our squad and puts us in a position to field 2 very different and very talented starting XI’s which is absolutely unheard of in the MLS

MightyDM
03-30-2018, 04:04 PM
I agree with you, although I’d like to give Ager a bit more time to adjust and find his fit with the team. Look at Oso, he took time to adjust, find his strengths and his fit. Ager has played 2 regular season games, I think he has a total of 138 minutes played.

As I know you may agree, game situations are much different than training environments, let’s give him a bit more time to adjust before we throw him to the wolves, I think he’s going to fit great with our squad and puts us in a position to field 2 very different and very talented starting XI’s which is absolutely unheard of in the MLS

Of course. It only makes sense to give him opportunities. I just expected more for a player in mid season form playing with a group of players in early season form.

Carter
03-30-2018, 04:10 PM
Of course. It only makes sense to give him opportunities. I just expected more for a player in mid season form playing with a group of players in early season form.

His playing time from my undstanding was very limited and that’s why he left but who knows. I’m hoping for your starting XI, this game..

MightyDM
03-30-2018, 05:21 PM
It was just a guess based on absences, international duty, Vanney’s comments etc. But it would be interesting to see that formation, it could be quite explosive but tight defensively as well.

Carter
03-30-2018, 06:10 PM
Irwin
Auro-VDV-Moor-Morgan
Hasler-Bradley-Delgado-Osorio
Gio-Jozy

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DZkku0rUMAEijkw?format=jpg&name=medium

portu
03-30-2018, 06:19 PM
Really hate this XI

Oldtimer
03-30-2018, 06:27 PM
Makes sense to start Irwin.

Ajax TFC
03-30-2018, 06:33 PM
I don't think van der wiel at cb is going to end well. Is hagglund injured? Seems Vanney has lost a great deal of confidence in zavaleta to have him on the bench and start just one true CB

notthesun
03-30-2018, 06:45 PM
Weird lineup, I have to assume Vanney didn't want Hagglund or Zavaleta getting burned by RSL's speedy forwards.

Defoe
03-30-2018, 06:47 PM
I don't think van der wiel at cb is going to end well. Is hagglund injured? Seems Vanney has lost a great deal of confidence in zavaleta to have him on the bench and start just one true CB

Yet if it does work, it solves a great need. I don't mind Vanney trying this. I do agree it's probably unlikely to work.

Carter
03-30-2018, 06:48 PM
But you also think Ager lacks chemistry and understanding how his role meshes with the team, after a total of 138 minutes playing with the team in game situations.

Its possible that that they are running a different formation, and resting players for The CCL tilt on Tuesday..

Irwin

VDV —— Moor —— Morgan
————Bradley————-
Hasler —————-Auro
————Delgado———-
——Osorio—Gio
———-Jozy———

Suppose I’ll eat my words if we lose by 3, but I think people need to break the sky is falling mentality on the third game of the season and let the CONCACAF Coach of the year manage his team...

portu
03-30-2018, 06:56 PM
I think VDW at CB when Auro, Hagglund and Zavaleta are healthy is a sign of two things

1. Vanney rates Auro over VDW
2. They are trying to wedge VDW into the line up because of his salary

Ajax TFC
03-30-2018, 07:06 PM
But you also think Ager lacks chemistry and understanding how his role meshes with the team, after a total of 138 minutes playing with the team in game situations.

Its possible that that they are running a different formation, and resting players for The CCL tilt on Tuesday..

Irwin

VDV —— Moor —— Morgan
————Bradley————-
Hasler —————-Auro
————Delgado———-
——Osorio—Gio
———-Jozy———

Suppose I’ll eat my words if we lose by 3, but I think people need to break the sky is falling mentality on the third game of the season and let the CONCACAF Coach of the year manage his team...
I'm confused. Did my posts about Aketxe and VdW contradict each other?

My point about Aketxe is that his apparent unimpressiveness is simply lack of chemistry with his team mates BECAUSE he's only played 138 minutes with them.
My opinion that VdW at CB won't end well is because he's 30 years old and hasn't played that position since before he went pro. Maybe it'll turn out fine because of his many years of experience and because this is MLS not europe. At this stage I don't have a problem with Vanney making the decision to try it. There's a chance it works out fine, but I have my doubts.

portu
03-30-2018, 07:13 PM
streams?

Ajax TFC
03-30-2018, 07:14 PM
I think VDW at CB when Auro, Hagglund and Zavaleta are healthy is a sign of two things

1. Vanney rates Auro over VDW
2. They are trying to wedge VDW into the line up because of his salary
I don't think Vanney gives two shits who's being paid what. He's being paid to win games. If he plays VdW over Zavaleta, it's because he thinks that gives the team the best chance of winning games. If they were just desperate to get VdW on the pitch, he could have put Auro on the left instead of Morgan.

notthesun
03-30-2018, 07:27 PM
God we are complete trash at penalties

benito
03-30-2018, 07:30 PM
It’s amazing how lethal Giovinco is at free kicks but has his struggles at penalty kicks

nonc
03-30-2018, 07:33 PM
Giovinco just refuses to shoot anywhere else, good riddance. I thought last year they learned Altidore and Vazquez are ahead in PK priority.

notthesun
03-30-2018, 07:34 PM
Decline the penalty!!

edit: Okay we're good

nonc
If Delgado is starting against America I think the start tonight is too many minutes.

benito
Nice finish

nonc
03-30-2018, 07:38 PM
Oso nuttmegged himself there or something

BenRhodes23
03-30-2018, 07:41 PM
What is that structure in the south end? I've seen it before but never heard what its purpose is and whether or not it's permanent

notthesun
03-30-2018, 07:46 PM
That was a possibly accidental but amazing clearance on that cross by Van der Wiel

Ajax TFC
03-30-2018, 07:53 PM
Thank you Caldwell for telling us about how good looking Beckerman is with a haircut

notthesun
03-30-2018, 07:57 PM
Gotta love an assist for Mr. TFC, Ashtone Morgan!

benito
03-30-2018, 07:59 PM
What is that structure in the south end? I've seen it before but never heard what its purpose is and whether or not it's permanent

I think it is the temporary boxes they installed for the mls finals.

jimiv
03-30-2018, 07:59 PM
streams?

??? Is there anything out there working ???

nonc
03-30-2018, 08:00 PM
Now that's more like it!

Time for Aketxe.

nonc
03-30-2018, 08:01 PM
http://www.stream7.xyz/2018/03/toronto-fc-vs-real-salt-lake.html

Just check reddit for any game my dudes.

troy1982
03-30-2018, 08:01 PM

HD Stream
http://www.stream7.xyz/2018/03/toronto-fc-vs-real-salt-lake.html

ag futbol
03-30-2018, 08:02 PM
Good first half, but my god the field conditions are terrible.

Ajax TFC
Gotta love an assist for Mr. TFC, Ashtone Morgan!
Serious feel good moment seeing Jozy give him an appreciative hug

Defoe
Now that's more like it!

Time for Aketxe.

This team is looking quite good in the 4-4-2, and they will be even better with Hasler, Morgan out and Morrow and Vazquez in. Not sure where Aketxe fits in!

It felt like we had a lot more possession then 50 %.

jimiv

Thanks guys

notthesun
03-30-2018, 08:17 PM
Has Altidore scored a hat trick for us before? I can't recall any off the top of my head.

Ajax TFC
03-30-2018, 08:23 PM
Has Altidore scored a hat trick for us before? I can't recall any off the top of my head.
Luke Wileman must've read your question. Just said that he hasn't

benito
03-30-2018, 08:24 PM

not yet. Maybe tonight is the night.

Ajax TFC
03-30-2018, 08:26 PM
Now there's the old Ashtone Morgan I remember

notthesun
03-30-2018, 08:29 PM
Vanney obviously saving Delgado for Club America, makes sense.

Carter
03-30-2018, 08:33 PM
I'm confused. Did my posts about Aketxe and VdW contradict each other?

My point about Aketxe is that his apparent unimpressiveness is simply lack of chemistry with his team mates BECAUSE he's only played 138 minutes with them.
My opinion that VdW at CB won't end well is because he's 30 years old and hasn't played that position since before he went pro. Maybe it'll turn out fine because of his many years of experience and because this is MLS not europe. At this stage I don't have a problem with Vanney making the decision to try it. There's a chance it works out fine, but I have my doubts.

RCB, CB, RWB, RB are all interchangeable positions, VDW played an entire World Cup at Centre back sure it was 8 years ago, but it is what it is. VDW has also been know to play Right mid as well.

My point on Aketxe is that you seem unwilling to provide an opportunity for him to adjust before saying he lacks things, god, back in the day we gave Gilberto over a year to adjust to the league. Give the kid an opportunity to adjust to the style of play and understanding how he fits into the system. He’s a younger version of VV although he’s more attacking minded where as VV is a bit more defensively minded. If we are needing to have this conversation by Game 15/16, then you can show me tapes/highlights where he doesn’t gel or chemistry lacks.. but right now we are only on Game 3, of a 34 game season.

Defoe
03-30-2018, 08:39 PM
Looks like Vanney's decision to play Van Der Weil at CB is looking good. Auro Jr is this team's RB. This could be the start of something... Or at least a plausible scenario vs lower tier MLS teams.

James17930
03-30-2018, 08:39 PM
Now this is more like it. This game has been much more enjoyable to watch. Everyone looks strong.

Ajax TFC
03-30-2018, 08:44 PM
RCB, CB, RWB, RB are all interchangeable positions, VDW played an entire World Cup at Centre back sure it was 8 years ago, but it is what it is. VDW has also been know to play Right mid as well.
He most definitely did not. He was the RB the whole tournament except the SF when he was suspended. Heitinga/Ooijer and Mathijsen were the centre backs. Maybe there was an odd league game or two back at Ajax when he played CB, but we'd be talking about a maybe couple low level games in his ~12 year pro career. He's definitely playing well there today anyways

My point on Aketxe is that you seem unwilling to provide an opportunity for him to adjust before saying he lacks things, god, back in the day we gave Gilberto over a year to adjust to the league. Give the kid an opportunity to adjust to the style of play and understanding how he fits into the system. He’s a younger version of VV although he’s more attacking minded where as VV is a bit more defensively minded. If we are needing to have this conversation by Game 15/16, then you can show me tapes/highlights where he doesn’t gel or chemistry lacks.. but right now we are only on Game 3, of a 34 game season.
I'm 100% willing to give Aketxe the opportunity to adjust. That's the whole point of what I'm trying to say. I think you're misunderstanding my posts

benito
03-30-2018, 08:52 PM
It’s going to be an interesting last 10 mins

portu
03-30-2018, 08:53 PM
Lmao that goal is on Aketxe

notthesun
03-30-2018, 09:02 PM
Well Aketxe is clearly still uncomfortable as hell out there.... but the boy can shoot

portu
03-30-2018, 09:03 PM
Well Aketxe is clearly still uncomfortable as hell out there.... but the boy can shoot
This af

Ajax TFC
03-30-2018, 09:03 PM
If you were still wondering what Akexe brings to the table - See left boot

burlington Red
03-30-2018, 09:04 PM
Holy feck what a strike from Aketxe.

notthesun
03-30-2018, 09:06 PM
Some sloppiness on the one we conceded, but besides that a decent performance. RSL is definitely pretty bad right now - that being said Van der Wiel played his best game so far, which combined with Auro being really good at RB/RWB, makes me wonder if we end up easing into a VdW - Moor - Mavinga back 3 as the season goes on.

Good to roll into CCL off a win, and no additional injuries. All good.

Hamilton_Red
03-30-2018, 09:19 PM
Good result and overall performance. Nice to see Chapman, Rickets, Irwin, and Akexte get some time. They are all important players.

Van der Wiel was very good as a Centre Back. That was his best performance so far. Auro had another solid game.

Morgan improved as the game went on - that is good to see. He is able cover for Morrow.

The weak points were Hasler, Giovinco, and Delgado for me. They all had poor games.

Hasler is not showing anything that is better than Chapman for example. His passing was poor and he had little impact on the game. Gio.... well he has had enough great games that we give him a pass.
Delgado...probably should have been rested for Tuesday.

Steve

Carter
03-30-2018, 09:19 PM

Drew falls down trying to clear the ball, Aketxe was anticipating his pass by taking two steps up field and that means the goal is on him? Man you guys can be harsh!

Carter
03-30-2018, 09:22 PM
Good result and overall performance. Nice to see Chapman, Rickets, Irwin, and Akexte get some time. They are all important players.

Van der Wiel was very good as a Centre Back. That was his best performance so far. Auro had another solid game.

Morrow improved as the game went on - that is good to see. He is able cover for Morrow.

The weak points were Hasler, Giovinco, and Delgado for me. They all had poor games.

Hasler is not showing anything that is better than Chapman for example. His passing was poor and he had little impact on the game. Gio.... well he has had enough great games that we give him a pass.

Steve

umm. Morrow wasn’t even in the 18....

Oldtimer
03-30-2018, 09:23 PM
RSL did a lot to stretch TFC'S backline, credit that TFC did not break down too often.

Great to see Aston assist and Tos get a goal.

Hamilton_Red
03-30-2018, 09:31 PM
umm. Morrow wasn’t even in the 18....

Morgan....doh

Carter
03-30-2018, 09:32 PM
Morgan....doh

I thought maybe we had another Moor, Morrow incident, then you said cover for Morrow, I think your keyboard loves Morrow...

ag futbol
03-30-2018, 09:37 PM
Good performance. Team is still coming together this year it feels like. Going to take a bit to integrate different players into the lineup.

Ajax TFC
03-30-2018, 09:38 PM
lmao pick me up off the floor. How does one look at that sequence and see Aketxe getting wrong footed by Drew Moor falling on his ass as being the cause of the goal rather than Drew Moor falling on his ass

Carter
03-30-2018, 09:42 PM
lmao pick me up off the floor. How does one look at that sequence and see Aketxe getting wrong footed by Drew Moor falling on his ass as being the cause of the goal rather than Drew Moor falling on his ass

You must spread some reputation around before giving it to Ajax TFC again... AMEN

James17930
03-30-2018, 09:43 PM
Yeah, lol, some of you guys are just too nit-picky. It's like you feel the only way we played a good game is if we win 5-0 and the other team only has 10% possession, or something.

There will always be little mistakes made by our players every game, especially when the pitch is in the condition it is now.

Overall we were pretty solid. Just enjoy it going into Tuesday. :)

MightyDM
03-30-2018, 09:49 PM

It was the pissing about with the ball in our end that caused the goal. At that time of the game, put the laces through it, lad.

TFCwestcan
03-30-2018, 10:01 PM
Still not a 1st gear TFC performance, but I did really like Auro, he is so solid on the ball, Van der Wiel was also impressive at CB, he reminds me in some ways of Mavinga, athletic and leggy (in a good sense). Aketxe, has had moments, in two games he has two shots come of the crossbar, I want to see more. Great to see the Canadian continent of Chapman, Ricketts and Morgan playing tonight. As the game begun I felt that the high level of TFC had left Ashtone behind but I have to say he got better as the game progressed. Very happy to see Ricketts score, solid week for him. It has been mentioned a lot on this forum Osorio has taken his game to the next level, he was again very solid tonight. With all this said there is still room to raise the level, which they will need to do next week.

MightyDM
03-30-2018, 10:07 PM
And what was with Alan Chapman and all the yellows? Holy moly.

the lads controlled the match and gave up only two chances.

Irwin: 6. Did what he had to do. No real chance on the goal
Morgan: 6.5. Looked like he belongs, and a nice assist
Moor. 6. Solid
VdW. 7. Best game yet for us. Virtually flawless
Auro. 6.5. Generally strong
Delgado. 4. Worst performance in a while. Numerous giveaways, some just shocking
Bradley. 8. Man of the match. Imperious and in total control
Osorio. 7. Showing for the ball everywhere, helped create, defend and control
Hasler 6. Pretty decent. Thought he and Auro would penetrate more but they did well
Altidore. 7. Goals, post up play, passion all good. Masked quite a few sloppy giveaways but is close to being back in form
Gio. 6.5. Not vintage but was working very hard and creating all night. Needs to practice from the spot
Chapman. 5.5. Looked cold at the beginning. Literally, but started to link up well near the end, including in the 18
Axetke. 5.5. Still a bit out of sorts but what a left foot. In the 83 rd minute, don’t piss about with the ball in your 18
Ricketts. 6.5. Everywhere and a goal. Energy.

OgtheDim
03-30-2018, 10:08 PM
I'll take a back line of Mavinga, Moor and VDW.

OK this was an RSL who's midfield was porous so can't put much stock in all this but we were tearing them to shreds with quick line breaking passes.

VDW & Auro were amazing to watch. The quality of the recoveries was exquisite.

Morgan was..well... Morgan. His assist was him trying to come inside and losing the ball right to Jozy's feet.

Hasler had a poor game. His touch was off. Bradley was in charge all game. Seba played the play maker role quite well. Needs to get off the schnied in the league but he's setting up plays all game long.

portu
03-30-2018, 10:20 PM

Stupid pass at the corner of our 18 yardbox led to that whole messy sequence. If that’s Cooper I guarantee everyone jumps on him.

OgtheDim
03-30-2018, 10:31 PM
Aketxe is not as interested in defending as he needs to be. There was a sequence where he went forward and lost the ball with runners ahead of him. Every other player, including Seba and Ricketts, came back to the box to help out on defense. Agar jogged. We are a team defense team. He'll sort this out but he still thinks he's better than this league. Seen this before.

Derko
03-31-2018, 12:23 AM

Morgan improved as the game went on - that is good to see. He is able cover for Morrow.

Steve

I would mostly agree, but our little group in 110 saw Hasler's play actual quite good, he war mothing the ball forward but was not forgetting his defensive responsibilities. Just our version of it.

Davenport
03-31-2018, 12:30 AM
Good performance. Team is still coming together this year it feels like. Going to take a bit to integrate different players into the lineup.

We are a professional football team. Changes happen every year ( hopefully for our benefit, and instigated by us) and the players involved should blend into our system asap.......I presume and trust we have a system ?

Hugh Jazz
03-31-2018, 12:32 AM
Aside from his flub on the goal I thought Moor was one of the stronger players tonight. Read the game really well and knew when to snuff out plays. VdW surprised me as a CB too.

General Woolfe
03-31-2018, 03:29 AM
Excellent result and a decent enough performance although we were a bit shaky in the 2nd half. Perhaps to be expected given the line up we put out tonight. VDW, Auro, and Aketxe do not look like upgrades on last year’s squad and were missing Beitashour”stability on the right, and the threat Edwards brought off the bench on the left. The biggest worry ahead of Tuesday however is our forward line does not seem to be clicking at all. Yes I know we scored three goals but rarely threatened beyond that. Our transition is slow and we need to be getting players forward with greater urgency. The wingbacks also need to get the ball in behind our opponents back line every opportunity they have in steady of recycling the ball backwards allowing our opponents to regroup.

Still it’s early days in league play at least and I suppose we need to give the players time to gel given the new additions. I just hope we are able to field close to our strongest 11 on Tuesday and rack up a lead that is insurmountable for CA in the 2nd leg. I worry about our ability to do so with tonight’s line up.

Onwards and upwards TFC :scarf:

ag futbol
03-31-2018, 07:45 AM
We are a professional football team. Changes happen every year ( hopefully for our benefit, and instigated by us) and the players involved should blend into our system asap.......I presume and trust we have a system ?
If only it were that simple. Guys don’t often move half way around the world and instantly hit the ground running, especially when many of these moves happened late into preseason.

Vasquez didn’t show his full utility until mid last year. While Auro has hit the ground running, getting a full impression of VDW and
Aketxe will take longer.

ensco
03-31-2018, 07:50 AM
A great tune up game. Got the win which helps everyone feel good, but just more good game time for VdW and Auro, and we worked Ricketts and Aketxe in (Ager with another transversano - this guy is going to score goals)

Best of all, no injuries on that pitch.

Ashtone Morgan belongs. That off season debate is settled. To be able to earn your spot on this team, that is no easy thing. It's tough, really good players from Europe and South America are coming in to the league in numbers, and 3 or 4 TFCII guys are gunning for him every year.

Really happy for him.

MightyDM
03-31-2018, 08:29 AM
A great tune up game. Got the win which helps everyone feel good, but just more good game time for VdW and Auro, and we worked Ricketts and Aketxe in (Ager with another transversano - this guy is going to score goals)

Best of all, no injuries on that pitch.

Ashtone Morgan belongs. That off season debate is settled. To be able to earn your spot on this team, that is no easy thing. It's tough, really good players from Europe and South America are coming in to the league in numbers, and 3 or 4 TFCII guys are gunning for him every year.

Really happy for him.

i agree with this. He must have been working his ass off in training last year after his broken foot healed. His defensive play is head and shoulders better than it was two seasons ago. Pretty bogus yellow though.

Shway
03-31-2018, 09:02 AM
I hate to to say I told you so, but VdW at CB might be his best position with this team. He look so comfortable and neat on the ball.

I know it was a 442,.... but I would love to see come Tuesday (if everyone is healthy and we deploy 352) VdW - Moor - Mavinga.

Fort York Redcoat
03-31-2018, 09:39 AM
Holy Canada. That was amazing seeing Ricketts keep scoring and Morgan with the a. Oso was Oso but he helped and didn't get carded out with complaints. And Chappie! It will prolly be a while before we see him again but he did alright.

Aketxe really duffed a clearance and Moor was unlucky but this was the match for it. But for that one sequence the lads were entirely in control.

Although I didn't see THAT squad practicing much for Tues.

MightyDM
03-31-2018, 10:00 AM
Holy Canada. That was amazing seeing Ricketts keep scoring and Morgan with the a. Oso was Oso but he helped and didn't get carded out with complaints. And Chappie! It will prolly be a while before we see him again but he did alright.

Aketxe really duffed a clearance and Moor was unlucky but this was the match for it. But for that one sequence the lads were entirely in control.

Although I didn't see THAT squad practicing much for Tues.

Vanney deserves some props for playing a line up with only one Centre Back. Gutsy.

Shway
03-31-2018, 10:13 AM
Vanney deserves some props for playing a line up with only one Centre Back. Gutsy.

Not really gutsy.... VdW is a better CB than Zavs or Hagglund

Kamp Berg
03-31-2018, 10:26 AM
After VdW’s performance last night, it begs the question if our best back four might turn out to be Morrow-Mavinga-VdW-Auro

shwade
03-31-2018, 10:46 AM
Unpopular opinion but even tho Jozy scored twice his passing was sloppy as hell all game.

Seba needs to stop taking penalties I guess...He shoots 1 way and every GK knows it.

Hasler has good chemistry with the team -i love his give n goes.

Good to see Morgan have a good game and even better to see Seba actually pass to him for once (that led to the second goal).

Aketxe needs a lot more time to settle in but it's about time we have someone who isn't afraid of shooting from outside the box.

ag futbol
03-31-2018, 10:50 AM
Unpopular opinion but even tho Jozy scored twice his passing was sloppy as hell all game.

The field was awful. Lots of guys seemed to be caught off guard by spots where the ball would bobble or holdup on the ground.

Let’s hope they get control of this before CFL season hits, otherwise we’re hooped.

Richard
03-31-2018, 11:17 AM
I think it shouldn't come as a surprise to see VDW do well at CB, the Ajax system he came from is world class for a reason, I think he can play anywhere in defense and midfield in MLS.

Once he gets up to fitness we will see his full value to the team, I think we have a very versatile player for MLS.

I'm also curious to see a combo of VDW/Mavinga and a third CB using a three man backline.

MightyDM
03-31-2018, 11:57 AM
I think it shouldn't come as a surprise to see VDW do well at CB, the Ajax system he came from is world class for a reason, I think he can play anywhere in defense and midfield in MLS.

Once he gets up to fitness we will see his full value to the team, I think we have a very versatile player for MLS.

I'm also curious to see a combo of VDW/Mavinga and a third CB using a three man backline.

would be interesting to see Hagglund with those two. With his jumping power, it would be a pretty immense troika

OgtheDim
03-31-2018, 12:03 PM

Vanney made a good point in the presser afterwards:

Jozy occupies defenders with his movement. Yes, he's big but he also tries that run off the edge every few minutes & all the opposing CB's have to cover him. He also played wide left a lot more then I've ever seen him. Its all about the technique with these guys.

James17930
03-31-2018, 07:22 PM
Vanney made a good point in the presser afterwards:

Jozy occupies defenders with his movement. Yes, he's big but he also tries that run off the edge every few minutes & all the opposing CB's have to cover him. He also played wide left a lot more then I've ever seen him. Its all about the technique with these guys.

Yeah ... he probably creates more opportunities and goals with his movement than we realize.

paul-collins
03-31-2018, 09:42 PM
Some sloppiness on the one we conceded, but besides that a decent performance. RSL is definitely pretty bad right now - that being said Van der Wiel played his best game so far, which combined with Auro being really good at RB/RWB, makes me wonder if we end up easing into a VdW - Moor - Mavinga back 3 as the season goes on.

Yes that was my first thought for a back three as well

VDW & Auro were amazing to watch. The quality of the recoveries was exquisite.

Some very good interplay on that side, imagine when it becomes the 3-5-2

Last year Chap got bullied off the ball far too easily. He has strengthened himself, and will be much more useful this year.

Finally a game where TFC were bossing the field. Regardless of the opportunities to improve, it felt like home.

TFC Tifoso
04-02-2018, 07:29 AM
dominating first half and great result....good to see Morgan and Ricketts get in there!

ag futbol
04-02-2018, 11:12 AM
Last year Chap got bullied off the ball far too easily. He has strengthened himself, and will be much more useful this year.

That’s definitely something for him to work on but I think the larger issue is Chapman’s primary utility was being the go-to guy in the midfield in an injury depleted lineup.

Much like Osorio has already done, Champman is going to need to remake his game in the mould of a 2-way midfielder who can be useful as a supporting midfield player rather than just the primary focus.

While he is good as a creator, it’s going to be tough to make a career out of that role, especially when most MLS teams fill those type of positions with pricy foreign talent.

I hope he does it. Not only because I think he has the talent but also because it would be good for Canada and show some dexterity in our players development to make these kind of changes.