PDA

View Full Version : Match Day 2 - TFC @ Montreal Sat March 17 3pm - I want more, Impossible to Ignore

OgtheDim
03-13-2018, 11:25 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bp1mj6Mqgns

I know I felt like this before
But now I'm feeling it even more
Because it came from you
Then I open up and see
The person falling here is me
A different way to be

Have at It People

Red CB Toronto
03-13-2018, 11:44 PM
Pretty sure we will see some of the regulars rested, especially after traveling back from that epic battle in Monterrey coupled with that crappy turf at the Big O. Will be interesting to see how Greg approaches it.

Auzzy
03-13-2018, 11:48 PM
I'm expecting a bit of a hangover performance in this game. However we had a high quality bench tonight, they'll have something to prove in Montreal. Also I wish TFC would finally re-sign Hernandez.

notthesun
03-13-2018, 11:59 PM
Give Aketxe the start in Vazquez's role.

Shway
03-14-2018, 12:03 AM
I'm expecting a bit of a hangover performance in this game. However we had a high quality bench tonight, they'll have something to prove in Montreal. Also I wish TFC would finally re-sign Hernandez.

Absent Piatti our second IX is on par with MTL.

Hernandez....hmmm I okay with them giving that spot to a younger player. We're deep enough, and confident enough that we don't need an old head like him.

Auzzy
03-14-2018, 12:10 AM
Absent Piatti our second IX is on par with MTL.

Hernandez....hmmm I okay with them giving that spot to a younger player. We're deep enough, and confident enough that we don't need an old head like him.

With Mavinga & Morrow possibly injured, and Hagglund, Zavaleta & Moor all looking iffy at times, I think we need someday like Hernandez for a few special occasions, unless he's also lost a step. He had a really calming effect when he was called upon a few times last year.

Initial B
03-14-2018, 07:34 AM
I think we're in for a loss. The Impact players know that Joey cheese is going to give them the hairdryer treatment if they lose their third in a row to their hated rival, so they'll come out with guns blazing. TFC is going to be worn out after that epic clash and we'll see a lot of second stringers. I think it will be a successful game if TFC can walk away with a draw.

leedsandTFC
03-14-2018, 07:53 PM
they beat us 5-3 at bmo last year.

ensco
03-14-2018, 09:22 PM
We go best XI and we beat their sorry asses.

This is Montreal, we have a big group supporting the team... we are the champions, we win this game.

SarniaTFC
03-14-2018, 09:53 PM

This is Montreal, we have a big group supporting the team... we are the champions, we win this game.

Couidnt agree with you anymore. Massive game, any game against your rivals is a must win.

Oldtimer
03-14-2018, 09:55 PM
Pretty sure we will see some of the regulars rested, especially after traveling back from that epic battle in Monterrey coupled with that crappy turf at the Big O. Will be interesting to see how Greg approaches it.

I agree. Also it must be time for Clint Irwin to be given a game.

leedsandTFC
03-14-2018, 10:40 PM
need to play starters for this.

players have a break til march 30th after the game and you have 1K + fans traveling down to see their team vs a big rival.

every game vs MTL is huge.

ensco
03-14-2018, 11:09 PM
Also.... we go best XI every single time until Concacaf is done.

We are playing Mexican teams that are mostly through their season. We know we were lucky against Tigres, we need to work on our game to win this.

We can do squad rotation in May.

PizzaEatingYeti
03-15-2018, 02:23 AM
I think we're in for a loss. The Impact players know that Joey cheese is going to give them the hairdryer treatment if they lose their third in a row to their hated rival, so they'll come out with guns blazing. TFC is going to be worn out after that epic clash and we'll see a lot of second stringers. I think it will be a successful game if TFC can walk away with a draw.

I disagree.
Getting a loss in Montreal after we lost with Columbus at home should be a very remote possibility, would mean a horrible, horrible MLS season start.
It just can't happen, that would be a too hard kick in the nuts for the club and supporters.

Prof
03-15-2018, 08:24 AM
Also.... we go best XI every single time until Concacaf is done.

We are playing Mexican teams that are mostly through their season. We know we were lucky against Tigres, we need to work on our game to win this.

We can do squad rotation in May.

Too many games in a short period of time. Three key players are already injured. This is when you rotate players. All big teams playing:drinking:
in multiple competitions do it. We cannot risk any more injuries.

woolly
03-15-2018, 08:51 AM
My Predictions

I think we'll see rotation in Irwin and the defense because Moor has deffo lost a step and we need to start prepping his replacement for the faster games. Midfield will be the same except Aketxe will start for Delgado and Hamilton will start for Jozy, with Ricketts coming off the Bench for Seba in the second half.

That gives the new guys minutes to blend with the starters, as well as rotating some of the tired guys.

We will win 2-1

We will continue to berate the Impact fans for sucking.

ManUtd4ever
03-15-2018, 08:54 AM
Other than the players that are nursing injuries, I see no reason not to dress our best starting eleven for this match.

TFC07
03-15-2018, 08:54 AM
I will except mix of starters and bench players in starting line up for this game.

Also keep in mind that this Montreal home opener and they're desperate for points. So I except Montreal to go all out in this game.

It's going to be a tough game for TFC.

ag futbol
03-15-2018, 09:28 AM

I think we beat them regardless, they are a poor side. They have CB injuries, Petrasso is not MLS starter level, and Piette struggles to cover all the ground he needs to. Edwards looks a little lost on the right side.Outside of Piatti and Hammel there isn’t much to like.

Cas87
03-15-2018, 09:49 AM
I will except mix of starters and bench players in starting line up for this game.

Also keep in mind that this Montreal home opener and they're desperate for points. So I except Montreal to go all out in this game.

It's going to be a tough game for TFC.

I would tend to agree, as there are bench guys we need to get going a bit, as well as new starters (VdW, Aketxe in particular) that still need to get into the flow of our system.

As much as everyone thinks Irwin will get the start, I say Bono still plays as there is the short Int'l break next week then 3 in 8 days at home again (2 MLS, 1 CCL) --> Irwin will get either DC or RSL.

VdW will stay on the right, Hagglund, Zavs and Moor in the middle (out of necessity), and Morgan may get sent out just to see how he now fits (Auro can come on if he stinks up the joint of course, but I think he'd be serviceable).

Bradley ... of course.

I would love to see Chapman get a start as a forward thinking-mid with Aketxe.

Ricketts and Seba up front (Seba only 45-60 minutes, then Hamilton).

Jozy on the bench (in case we need a late one), Fraser, Hamilton, Irwin, Mavinga/Morrow (whichever is healthy enough), Vazquez, Auro

TrebleMaker
03-15-2018, 09:58 AM
I see a different starting 11 as well...

Irwin should get the start
Hagglund will more than likely start in place of Mavinga with Moor & Zavaleta
I see both Aketche & Vazquez start with Vanderviel & Auro & Bradley
At striker, I see them giving Giovinco a rest, leaving Altidore with either Ricketts or Hamilton

Yohan
03-15-2018, 11:38 AM
For me, no Jozy and Giovinco. I hate that garbage turf at Big O. Sub in if TFC is losing.
Sit out Vasquez. No need to risk further injury.
What's the status on Morrow and Mavinga injuries?
I'd give Morgan a start, also Aketxe. Hamilton and Ricketts up front.

There's a 2 week break after this game, so not too concerned about fatigue. And this year's IMFC team sucks, except for Piatti. Go aggressive and expose their weak defence.

James17930
03-15-2018, 11:43 AM
For me, no Jozy and Giovinco. I hate that garbage turf at Big O. Sub in if TFC is losing.
Sit out Vasquez. No need to risk further injury.
What's the status on Morrow and Mavinga injuries?
I'd give Morgan a start, also Aketxe. Hamilton and Ricketts up front.

There's a 2 week break after this game, so not too concerned about fatigue. And this year's IMFC team sucks, except for Piatti. Go aggressive and expose their weak defence.

Yeah, but we can't go too far in the subs because we really need to get something from this game. Can't afford to start the season with 2 losses, regardless of success in the CCL.

trane
03-15-2018, 11:53 AM
I care about every game. But at this point,our first focus should be the CL, and we should rest our players as needed for CL purposes, and use this as an opportunity to test our less tested/experienced players, as sooner or later we may need them all.

I will not be upset if we get not points, but I would be upset by a poor performance, we need to get better each week. I expect us to win CL and win the league again, both in terms of most points and ultimate champs. So we need to be progressing toward that goal.

( Yes that is right. I set TFC seasons goals. That is my responsibility)

Shway
03-15-2018, 11:54 AM
For me, no Jozy and Giovinco. I hate that garbage turf at Big O....

I heard they got their astroturf replaced... Could be wrong, but if I'm wrong I could've been right!

OgtheDim
03-15-2018, 12:05 PM
https://twitter.com/joshuakloke/status/974325834960879616

RedsYNWA
03-15-2018, 04:46 PM
need to play starters for this.

players have a break til march 30th after the game and you have 1K + fans traveling down to see their team vs a big rival.

every game vs MTL is huge.

^^^ This

Play the best we have that are healthy... we cant afford to be 0-2 to start the season

molenshtain
03-15-2018, 04:48 PM
somoene explain to me the dire consequences of losing our first two games. I feel like I'm missing somethingg.

leedsandTFC
03-15-2018, 05:00 PM
somoene explain to me the dire consequences of losing our first two games. I feel like I'm missing somethingg.

wouldn't you rather win this game? why would you rest guys when they aren't playing another game for 2 weeks?

also they had no game last weekend.

OgtheDim
03-15-2018, 05:54 PM
Vanney speaks

https://www.torontofc.ca/post/2018/03/15/everybody-wants-get-out-and-play-again-greg-vanney?autoplay=true

From this I expect a full team on Saturday.

(the Mavinga discussion is interesting - look for him to take a month off in the summer)

nonc
03-15-2018, 06:38 PM
Hopefully a lot of squad rotation.

Irwin
Morgan, Hagglund, Zavaleta, Auro
Chapman, Bradley, Aketxe, Hasler
Giovinco, Ricketts

Red CB Toronto
03-15-2018, 09:39 PM
Will be interesting to see who is up front for the Reds on Saturday after this busy week for the Reds, sure we will see Tosaint at some point.

PizzaEatingYeti
03-16-2018, 03:21 AM
Time to see Ager from now on in each in every game... either as a starter (preferable) or as a super sub playing at least 25 minutes.
It's a nonsense keeping such a player on the bench any more, he had a ton of time to adapt until now, since joining the team.

IMO after the next 4 games he's in, we will know for sure he's up to the hype when he was signed, or he'll be more like a bust (semi-bust or total bust - for these to know we'll need at least 10 games).

Blindside16
03-16-2018, 05:06 AM
Time to see Ager from now on in each in every game... either as a starter (preferable) or as a super sub playing at least 25 minutes.
It's a nonsense keeping such a player on the bench any more, he had a ton of time to adapt until now, since joining the team.

IMO after the next 4 games he's in, we will know for sure he's up to the hype when he was signed, or he'll be more like a bust (semi-bust or total bust - for these to know we'll need at least 10 games).

He was most likely in the plans on Tuesday but with Morrow and Mavinga needing to be subbed I think that threw a big wrench in Vanneys plan. I fully expcet to see him start Saturday

Shway
03-16-2018, 08:43 AM
He was most likely in the plans on Tuesday but with Morrow and Mavinga needing to be subbed I think that threw a big wrench in Vanneys plan. I fully expcet to see him start Saturday

Hmmm, you would've thought... But Vanney brought in Vasquez who was not at full fitness.

Joe Kool
03-16-2018, 10:12 AM

Totally agree. We couldn't really make any offensive subs in that game due to bad luck so the one offensive sub we were able to do justly went to Vazquez over Aketxe.

Joe Kool
03-16-2018, 10:22 AM

Irwin
Giovinco, Ricketts

Going by Vanney's comments I don't know if we will see alot of rotation to be honest. Sounds like he wants the team to get as many games together still to gel so they are more ready for the next CCL round.

jloome
03-16-2018, 03:39 PM
Hmmm, you would've thought... But Vanney brought in Vasquez who was not at full fitness.

I think he'll get a start pretty soon. Delgado has had a couple of bad games in a row.

A lot depends on formation. If we play the 442 diamond he'll have an easier time getting in than the 352, unless Osorio plays himself out. Vanney can't very well move players that are working well together.

Yohan
03-16-2018, 05:10 PM
hype material

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A9QkAepa7HM

TheSloanRanger
03-16-2018, 05:50 PM
Well Raheem is good for 1 or 2 ..

DOMIN8R
03-16-2018, 09:39 PM
I would not start Vasquez or Altidore on that pitch (if you want to call it that). Visions of Foxborough and Jose pulling his hammy. Ager Aketxe must acclimatize eventually - why not this game (the pitch?). Let him start in this crazy MLS carpet game. If Greg plans on using depth only in the case of injury, many players are going grow frustrated. Just saying.

portu
03-16-2018, 11:24 PM
I wouldn’t rotate the whole line-up but def some.

Bono; Auro, Hagglund, Zavaleta, VDW; Bradley, Delgado, Hasler, Aketxe; Ricketts, Giovinco

Irwin, Morgan, Moor, Chapman, Osorio, Hamilton, Jozy on the bench

Would be nice to see Hamilton and Chapman off the bench, maybe Jozy as well.

Let Mavinga, Morrow and Vazquez fully recover (would normally say if they’re decent play them but that turf is pure shit). Start Jozy on the bench looked like he needed a break during the Tigres game.

ensco
03-17-2018, 12:09 AM
We have only two games for the starting XI to work together before the America game.

Other than the second half of the Tigres game at BMO, we have not looked 100% right.

We will go full best XI, I am certain. They need live game action.

Auzzy
03-17-2018, 02:41 AM
I'm surprised, this game will be on CTV (as well as TSN). Cord-cutters rejoice!

CBTFC
03-17-2018, 06:22 AM
Game Day!

I write this as I'm waking up at a friend's cabin in the middle of nowhere south of algonquin park. Will be able to stream the game this afternoon, and have a fine selection of non-alcoholic beers to enjoy.

Really intrigued as to the starting 11 we might see today. Not worried in any case with our deep and talented roster.

Alonso
03-17-2018, 08:19 AM
We have only two games for the starting XI to work together before the America game.

Other than the second half of the Tigres game at BMO, we have not looked 100% right.

Agreed.

Liga MX has the advantage of being well into their season and fully syncing... the only way to counter that is to play the best 11 until the match-up with America.

MightyDM
03-17-2018, 10:50 AM

You are right. But. We had overuse injuries to Morrow and Mavinga, and players like Axetke and Ricketts will play a part in the CCL and need to be ready. So I wouldn’t be surprised with changes either.

Defoe
03-17-2018, 11:22 AM
I really hope we see Ager Aketxe start. He's to good not to be starting, especially if Vazquez is on the bench.

shwade
03-17-2018, 11:32 AM
Jozy gets gassed so easily ...looking at the last 2 tigres matches he's out of it by the 60th min or so.

Defoe
03-17-2018, 11:33 AM

Irwin
Giovinco, Ricketts

Give Osorio, Delgado, Altidore, Vazquez, Mavinga and Morrow rest. Play Van Der Weil, and Ager to get them more minutes in our system. Play the 3-5-2.
-
Giovinco-Rickets
Auro-Bradley-Aketxe-Chapman-Van Der Weil
Zavaletta-Moor-Hagglund

MightyDM
03-17-2018, 11:49 AM
Give Osorio, Delgado, Altidore, Vazquez, Mavinga and Morrow rest. Play Van Der Weil, and Ager to get them more minutes in our system. Play the 3-5-2.
-
Giovinco-Rickets
Auro-Bradley-Aketxe-Chapman-Van Der Weil
Zavaletta-Moor-Hagglund

Interesting but too offensive in the midfield. And who is the hold up player? That’s not Ricketts strength. Would be fun though.

sn0re
03-17-2018, 12:09 PM
Interesting but too offensive in the midfield. And who is the hold up player? That’s not Ricketts strength. Would be fun though.

Hamilton could replace Altidore

portu
03-17-2018, 12:47 PM
Jozy gets gassed so easily ...looking at the last 2 tigres matches he's out of it by the 60th min or so.
Because big games are the only times he gives 100% for 100% of the match and he lacks the stamina for that

OgtheDim
03-17-2018, 01:04 PM
FWIW https://twitter.com/torontofc/status/975061717070860289

Morgan sighting.

Hugh Jazz
03-17-2018, 01:07 PM
Morgan starting, no Morrow on the bench.

OgtheDim
03-17-2018, 01:08 PM
Seems PRO don't trust the Olympic stadium staff

https://twitter.com/KurtLarSUN/status/975069086337175552

mauser09
03-17-2018, 01:10 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DYgkcIbW0AE-Rwy.jpg:large

mowe
03-17-2018, 01:20 PM
Like the lineup. We need to see how Aketxe fits in with the starters. Good to see Morgan getting a shot as well.

ensco
03-17-2018, 02:01 PM
Wow. Morgan.

i am thrilled to be wrong about this, just because I love Ashtone.

MightyDM
03-17-2018, 02:02 PM
Like the lineup. We need to see how Aketxe fits in with the starters. Good to see Morgan getting a shot as well.
Totally agree. And if it goes well, maybe hasler Champlain Hamilton to get some minutes

rydermike
03-17-2018, 02:07 PM
Seems PRO don't trust the Olympic stadium staff

https://twitter.com/KurtLarSUN/status/975069086337175552

I will never forget the Spraypaint Delay

PizzaEatingYeti
03-17-2018, 02:08 PM
Youtube stream here!!!!!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dVfZzFIcSbY

Ralf
03-17-2018, 02:12 PM
It is also on CTV for those with ota antennas :-)

OgtheDim
03-17-2018, 02:25 PM
So far VDW doing pretty good.

ag futbol
03-17-2018, 02:48 PM
Saviga is awful. Guys consistently getting slaughtered as soon as they release the ball and he turns a blind eye.

OgtheDim
03-17-2018, 02:53 PM
Well that was ugly.

ag futbol
03-17-2018, 02:54 PM
Unfortunate goal to give up there. We’be been the better team but need to penetrate the final third.

I’d like to see Auro in the second half. But VDW and Morgan are really staying close to home.

jloome
03-17-2018, 02:55 PM
Well that was ugly.

Bradley has been a tire fire today. Late on the cover, late on the ball. Can't run this kind of set with a number 6 who's off the game.

ag futbol
03-17-2018, 02:57 PM
Okay getting a little scary now. 3-0 if not for hagglund

OgtheDim
03-17-2018, 02:58 PM
Aketke not that much interested in defence.

gracos
03-17-2018, 03:00 PM
TFC will not win if we hold the ball in our defensive third, not good enough

rydermike
03-17-2018, 03:01 PM
When you can beat Mexican teams but not Canadian teams......haha

We need to get into our groove, maybe throw Auro on, he always provides danger so far this season

PizzaEatingYeti
03-17-2018, 03:02 PM
Really? Very disappointing so far...
This is how we play after we have lost the first match with Columbus?

How many good halfs we had in the 5 and 1/2 competitive games we had until now in this season?

Bobo
03-17-2018, 03:04 PM
Like to see the diamond after halftime, with Zavaleta off for Delgado. Montreal is clogging the middle and the wingers aren't doing much to widen the pitch.

gracos
03-17-2018, 03:04 PM
its a completely different mindset, we need to get back to our previous mindset, and playing style

Brandino88
03-17-2018, 03:05 PM
Mhm just coming to park the bus and try to hit on the counter for the second half

Defoe
03-17-2018, 03:06 PM
This team really misses Vazquez. Still waiting for Aketxe to show elite quality in the final third. (still so early) Good half from Hagglund. Zavaletta looks more at ease vs MLS. Could definitely use another CB though.

PizzaEatingYeti
03-17-2018, 03:13 PM
This team really misses Vazquez. Still waiting for Aketxe to show elite quality in the final third. (still so early) Good half from Hagglund. Zavaletta looks more at ease vs MLS. Could definitely use another CB though.

The bold part... big time!
So far this season VV has played well beyond his poosibilities for different reasons, or he wasn't even in the lineup for too many minutes.
Without him TFC loses a huge part of their game, and so far nobody is even close to replace him.

Davenport
03-17-2018, 03:21 PM
Really? Very disappointing so far...
This is how we play after we have lost the first match with Columbus?

How many good halfs we had in the 5 and 1/2 competitive games we had until now in this season?

We're not creating anything, and except for Osorio we have NO pace going forward. I'd trade Altidore for Piatti all day long.

ag futbol
03-17-2018, 03:26 PM
We're not creating anything, and except for Osorio we have NO pace going forward. I'd trade Altidore for Piatti all day long.
I’m not sure how Vanney is expecting this team to score. Both Osorio and Aketxe are bolded to their midfield positions and the fullbacks won’t release either.

How are you going to put the ball in the net without the commitment to create a numerical advantage going forward? What exactly are the instructions here?

Everything is very narrow and predictable.

zorsofstesab
03-17-2018, 03:28 PM
why is Zavaletta on the field? I lost track how many times he has been caught ball watching.

Davenport
03-17-2018, 03:29 PM
I’m not sure how Vanney is expecting this team to score. Both Osorio and Aketxe are bolded to their midfield positions and the fullbacks won’t release either.

How are you going to put the ball in the net without the commitment to create a numerical advantage going forward? What exactly are the instructions here?

Everything is very narrow and predictable.

....and Giovinco is sitting way too deep. We're making Montreal look good. They should have made it 2-0 there.

tfcfans
03-17-2018, 03:32 PM
How deep a hole are we going to dig for the MLS season by putting all of our energies into Champions League?!

Thomas
03-17-2018, 03:33 PM
I muted my audio. Caldwell is so anoying!

Ajax TFC
03-17-2018, 03:34 PM
Who's water bottle was that that Altidore picked up to drink from beside the Montreal net?

Davenport
03-17-2018, 03:35 PM
I muted my audio. Caldwell is so anoying!

He never stops bloody talking. If I wanted a parrot I'd buy one.

azorean
03-17-2018, 03:38 PM
How deep a hole are we going to dig for the MLS season by putting all of our energies into Champions League?!

come on man, I don't think we have ever started quick out of the blocks, this game doesn't mean too much in grand scheme of things, but we aren't playing well at all.

ag futbol
03-17-2018, 03:39 PM
“Ooooh I didn’t really see the foul Luke, not a foul for me”
Repeat x 1000

Davenport
03-17-2018, 03:45 PM
Repeat x 1000

Having said that if someone called Fanni was on the pitch and I was commentating I'd be sacked and probably arrested.....

OgtheDim
03-17-2018, 03:45 PM
That was a penalty.

Thomas
03-17-2018, 03:46 PM
Shut up Caldwell

JavierMartini
caldwell you're so fucking annoying. It was a 10/10 dive.

Ajax TFC
Repeat x 1000
I can't understand what he's talking about 90% of the time, but what I do hear is usually "blah blah momentum energy blah" or just repeats exactly what Luke said. Bring in Terry Dunfield

JavierMartini
03-17-2018, 03:47 PM
That was a penalty. it was a clear dive.

Oldtimer
03-17-2018, 03:47 PM
TFC should have had a penalty called against them. Genuine trip with simulation on top.

jimiv
03-17-2018, 03:48 PM
why is Zavaletta on the field? I lost track how many times he has been caught ball watching.

This is a question I've asked every game so far, I'd hate to think it's nepotism but starting to feel that way.

Thomas
03-17-2018, 03:48 PM
Exactly. Giant professional flop.

azorean
03-17-2018, 03:49 PM
I just hope we see the REAL TFC before Champions League ends, today is a mulligan, hangover, etc..

JavierMartini
TFC should have had a penalty called against them. Genuine trip with simulation on top.
no they shouldn't have. Piatti is an olympic diver.

Thomas
Yes, Zavaleta is the weakest link thus far.

Inklink
03-17-2018, 03:52 PM
Brought in Hasler and he's playing that far up.

OgtheDim
03-17-2018, 03:52 PM
Hasler is basically a 3rd forward right now.

Gosh Bradley has been shit.

wopchop
03-17-2018, 03:53 PM
There was the chance. Dammit.

Ajax TFC
Hasler has been good coming into the midfield. Drives the ball forward well. Would really like to see Auro in midfield

azorean
hahahah, someone ragged on Petrasso this week, just like I would have done, but the guy just saved the win for Montreal, and I got him sitting on my fantasy bench with more points then all my starting defenders ...arrrgh

Inklink
03-17-2018, 03:55 PM
Bradley really should be better at passing in the attacking half.

gracos
03-17-2018, 03:58 PM
Well from what ive seen we are off to a very slow start, but we have time to catch up lets focus now TFC and turn it around earlier than later

Detroit_TFC
03-17-2018, 03:58 PM
Not our day today.

11th in the East, nobody saw that coming.

azorean
03-17-2018, 04:00 PM
The spanking this Montreal team is going to get in the home date, whenever that is...they are not very good.

flatpicker
03-17-2018, 04:03 PM
Ugh.
Well, I guess it's best to get the shittiness out of our system at the start of the year.

OgtheDim
03-17-2018, 04:05 PM
Some people not playing well and a lot of players without much gas left.

If we play like this every game - I'd be ticked. We won't.

We better crush RSL though.

The one thing I will say - Aketke let players go through without attempting to cover. We have not seen that on the pitch since 2015. He sits until he plays defence.

Davenport
03-17-2018, 04:07 PM
it was a clear dive.

He dived

Inklink
03-17-2018, 04:07 PM
Horrible game.

ag futbol
03-17-2018, 04:08 PM
it was a clear dive.
I think If he tried to play through it, Zavaleta had stuck his leg out and was probably going to topple him. However, he preemptively flopped and basically talked himself out of a penalty.

Anyway, poor game from TFC. I’ve seen more width on calista flockhart. We can’t attack through the middle every god damn play.

tfcfans
03-17-2018, 04:11 PM
come on man, I don't think we have ever started quick out of the blocks, this game doesn't mean too much in grand scheme of things, but we aren't playing well at all.

I am aware of our “season starting” history - doesn’t mean that these lost points won’t matter at the end of the year - expecting another 69 point season, and winning the Shield by 12 points is likely a historic once in a decade (or more) level of dominance, we aren’t miles better than the rest of the league from what I have seen so far......I guess we will see at the end of the year how important a poor MLS start to the season was.....I hope I’m wrong, but to keep dismissing MLS results as a product of Champions League is going to be tiresome if we keep losing and don’t ultimately raise the CCL trophy.....

notthesun
03-17-2018, 04:11 PM
I wasn't able to catch much of the game, but TFC seemed to control most of it from what I saw...

Eh.

benito
03-17-2018, 04:14 PM
Bad game. Bad field. Bad start to the mls season. Get some rest and more practice for the upcoming matches.

PizzaEatingYeti
03-17-2018, 04:15 PM
Very well deserved win by Montreal.

[Start of rant]
Each and every time TFC will come out to play a first half like they did, with zero urgency, almost zero penetration, and against mediocre teams, they deserve to get beaten the shit out of them.
[End of rant]

Just one more thought:
If the game with the Pumas in Mexico would have gone 5 more minutes, we would have had a disastrous season start.

TFC07
03-17-2018, 04:17 PM
I wasn't able to catch much of the game, but TFC seemed to control most of it from what I saw...

Eh.

Yeah thats pretty much the story of this game besides fluky goal that Montreal scored.

It's obvious players looked tired. Playing TFC game on that garbage turf didn't help much either.

If wasn't lost to the Crew, this result wouldn't hurt much.

Good news is TFC will get a break with no games besides some of TFC players playing for Canada.

azorean
03-17-2018, 04:17 PM
I am aware of our “season starting” history - doesn’t mean that these lost points won’t matter at the end of the year - expecting another 69 point season, and winning the Shield by 12 points is likely a historic once in a decade (or more) level of dominance, we aren’t miles better than the rest of the league from what I have seen so far......I guess we will see at the end of the year how important a poor MLS start to the season was.....I hope I’m wrong, but to keep dismissing MLS results as a product of Champions League is going to be tiresome if we keep losing and don’t ultimately raise the CCL trophy.....

2 games , 32 left ....if TFC were to barely make the playoffs , they could STILL win the Cup with this lineup. I am sure of that. I don't know about that tiresome line, reaching CCL semi finals pretty darn good, and if we go out at this stage I think I would trade even that for a slow MLS start.

tfcfans
03-17-2018, 04:24 PM
^I’m not saying the “sky is falling”, I know the quality of this team and that’s it’s very early; however, a CCL semi Final loss is not worth it to me (it may be to others), if we keep losing MLS games going forward - March 30 and April 7 need to be home wins, then I will feel a bit differently about this CCL run if it ends against CA in a competitive fashion. Let’s revisit this at the end of April and see where the CCL run ends and what our MLS record is at that time. It would be nice if a good MLS start and a long CCL run were not mutually exclusive, but so far this appears to be the case. I hope the CCL payoff is ultimately worth it....only time will tell....

General Woolfe
03-17-2018, 04:26 PM
Really disappointing, but just not our day. We had enough possession to win two games but no idea of how to break through Montreal's eight man defence. Our problems started with a poor team selection and was compounded by poor substitutions. Hard to believe we ended that game with three right backs on the field. Im sure Van Der Weil and Aketxe will come good but right now they look like a waste of money. Money that increasingly looks like it would have been better spent on Central Defence. Hagglund has been brutal in his fragmented appearances this season, and Zavaletta never has and never will never inspire confidence in me. With Moor starting to look his age that leaves us with Mavinga as the one class defender we can depend on. I know its early days, but two defeats and no goals scored is not the form of champions. I dont expect another record breaking season like last year, that would be unreasonable. However, I thought we would be good enough to defend our title as MLS Cup winners. That was the main goal for this season in my mind. Supporters shield would be a bonus. CCL a nice footnote to a record year, but not a priority for me, id rather have a second MLS Cup. I know weve done well in CCL and perhaps that is part of the reason weve started the league so poorly, but we better get our ass in gear quickly before NYCFC and Columbus start to build a lead that will fast become psychologically insurmountable

azorean
03-17-2018, 04:30 PM
I think a semi final loss is worth it, season is long, we only need to be top 6, we are gaining exposure / experience...well worth it.

tfcfans
03-17-2018, 04:31 PM
^^Agreed Woolfe!! A second MLS Cup is the priority; CCL is an 8 game tournament maximum; and frankly only 6 games really are potentially meaningful to me, because beating Colorado is not an accomplishment that is anything other than expected to me at this point.

RealG-TFC
03-17-2018, 04:33 PM
Whatever, bad pitch and we just came from playing in Mexico. The positives are that we had Aketxe, Hasler, and Morgan playing. If we lose to RSL at home I'll be worried, but right now we're what, 6 points away from being top of the East with a game in hand? No cause for concern as of yet.

Also, I'm sort of glad we're getting tough opponents in league play to be honest. Should remind them to keep the intensity no matter who we play.

EDIT: okay 7 points from Columbus and looks like NYC is going to win so 9 points, still nothing insurmountable.

azorean
03-17-2018, 04:35 PM
^^Agreed Wolfe!! A second MLS Cup is the priority; CCL is an 8 game tournament maximum; and frankly only 6 games really are potentially meaningful to me, because beating Colorado is not an accomplishment that is anything other than expected to me at this point.

HUH ????? We are gaining world exposure / experience with CCL, I would go so far as to say what we accomplished vs Tigres was comparable to winning MLS cup !! This club, We are striving for Bigger things, even management has admitted this, world footprint, making CCL 100% is priority for me.

DinamoTFC
03-17-2018, 04:41 PM

He's become extremely annoying. Has one opinion. Stands by it 100 %. Sees a replay. Starts to change it but not completely. He overcompensates his neutrality bias. Very annoying.

tfcfans
03-17-2018, 04:44 PM
HUH ????? We are gaining world exposure / experience with CCL, I would go so far as to say what we accomplished vs Tigres was comparable to winning MLS cup !! This club, We are striving for Bigger things, even management has admitted this, world footprint, making CCL 100% is priority for me.

Thats your opinion and you are entitled to it - I would absolutely not trade December 9 2017 for a CCL quarter final win against Tigres. If that’s your priority, great; but without winning it all last year, the push to move beyond a domestic champion to a more “global” team would not be there. We need to consistently dominate MLS, that should be the goal every year; for me, anything beyond that is a bonus - again, that’s my priority; to each his own. Winning CCL would be a great accomplishment and I would love it; losing to CA after beating Tigres doesn’t register as more important to me than winning the title last year....win CCL and then maybe my opinion would shift a bit.....I’m just saying it would be nice to collect some MLS points before CCL is finished....

DinamoTFC
03-17-2018, 04:48 PM

Champions League is the priority right now. As long as we have success there I am happy.

We will be fine in mls. As long as we make the playoffs we are fine and will have a good chance to repeat.

Yes it's a little dissapointing our league play right now but we will come around. Ccl all the way! Winning it is equivalent of 2 mls cups to me.

azorean
03-17-2018, 04:56 PM
Thats your opinion and you are entitled to it - I would absolutely not trade December 9 2017 for a CCL quarter final win against Tigres. If that’s your priority, great; but without winning it all last year, the push to move beyond a domestic champion to a more “global” team would not be there. We need to consistently dominate MLS, that should be the goal every year; for me, anything beyond that is a bonus - again, that’s my priority; to each his own. Winning CCL would be a great accomplishment and I would love it; losing to CA after beating Tigres doesn’t register as more important to me than winning the title last year....win CCL and then maybe my opinion would shift a bit.....I’m just saying it would be nice to collect some MLS points before CCL is finished....

We are in semis, past quarters...

Yeah, id like to collect some domestic points as well, but still doesn't take away the fact I'm looking squarely at CCL...You know what a win in that tournament entails? Even if we go out at this stage, the respect we have gained is huge, I seen Mexican soccer pundits debating the merits of TFC's going through vs Tigres on National Mexican TV, never would have thought that was even possible 'til now, we did it, we beat Tigres over 2 legs. I am willing to sacrifice what amounts to a meaningless early MLS season to see if we can go even further. If we bow out in semi finals, in my eyes, we still gained. And yes, MLS Cup was a big deal, happy we won, But beating Tigres and doing well in this tournament is just as big. Don't kid yourself.

OgtheDim
03-17-2018, 04:59 PM
So us losing to our biggest rival isn't all so bad because we beat Tigres even if we go out against Club America.

I have to think about that one but I'm not sure the people who went to the Big Owe today would agree with that.

azorean
03-17-2018, 05:06 PM
So us losing to our biggest rival isn't all so bad because we beat Tigres even if we go out against Club America.

I have to think about that one but I'm not sure the people who went to the Big Owe today would agree with that.

How many more games this year vs our BIGGEST RIVAL? When will be ever in this same opportunity, 1 step away, to go to World Club Championship? This result today, I'm sorry, I know people travelled, but it was predictable. hangover.

Areathrasher
03-17-2018, 05:10 PM
Could see that coming when I saw the starting XI. Should have rotated more. Have 2nd string players eager to make an impression go at the Impact with Jozy, Seba, Oso in reserve if a result was needed late on.

Anyways, onwards. Fuck the Impact.

Blkndkr
03-17-2018, 05:13 PM
I, for one, don’t agree. A lot of miles for zero points. The drive tomorrow will be somber.

stevep
03-17-2018, 05:14 PM
^^Agreed Woolfe!! A second MLS Cup is the priority; CCL is an 8 game tournament maximum; and frankly only 6 games really are potentially meaningful to me, because beating Colorado is not an accomplishment that is anything other than expected to me at this point.

did you want tfc to deliberately lose to Tigres? did you want only second string guys out on the field vs tigres??

they won against tigres, what else were they supposed to do? I don't understand your logic

Lennon
03-17-2018, 05:17 PM
Some of you sound like you'd prefer losing to Colorado if that meant a 2-0 start in MLS. No way we'd beat the Mexican champions in the next round right?

CWC > CCL > MLS Playoffs > Voyageur's Cup > MLS Regular Season

stevep
03-17-2018, 05:17 PM
Hasler is basically a 3rd forward right now.

Gosh Bradley has been shit.

hes tired

OgtheDim
03-17-2018, 05:19 PM
If this had been NER, I wouldn't care so much.

Its Montreal. A loss to them is never a good thing.

But what has me a bit more ticked is the same things have been happening now for 3 games against Montreal in a row -for whatever reason, Vanney can't figure out how to deal with Piette. They play right at him. Its foolish. Other teams don't do this against the Impact. Take the ball out wide and move them around. The ball needs to move WAAAAY faster then it has so far this season (except for that one half against Tigres). We are at our best with quick ball movement & I'm not seeing it so far in 5.5 out of our 6 games.

We can play better then this but I'm not fond of how we have played against Montreal since the Voyageurs last summer.

azorean
03-17-2018, 05:27 PM
did you want tfc to deliberately lose to Tigres? did you want only second string guys out on the field vs tigres??

they won against tigres, what else were they supposed to do? I don't understand your logic

This !

azorean
03-17-2018, 05:34 PM
If this had been NER, I wouldn't care so much.

Its Montreal. A loss to them is never a good thing.

But what has me a bit more ticked is the same things have been happening now for 3 games against Montreal in a row -for whatever reason, Vanney can't figure out how to deal with Piette. They play right at him. Its foolish. Other teams don't do this against the Impact. Take the ball out wide and move them around. The ball needs to move WAAAAY faster then it has so far this season (except for that one half against Tigres). We are at our best with quick ball movement & I'm not seeing it so far in 5.5 out of our 6 games.

We can play better then this but I'm not fond of how we have played against Montreal since the Voyageurs last summer.

Don't worry, so looking forward to the shellacking they will receive next time we meet...bad timing this one.

SoccMan2
03-17-2018, 05:54 PM
Sorry but no excuses for being 0-2 from the best team in MLS history. The Juventus, Real Madrid's or Barcelona's of the world year in and year out play in champions league and other competitions along with their league play and year in and year out are still able to dominate in their league play. No excuses for this start two league games and no goals and two losses, it's yes very early but time to start winning no excuses sorry.

SoccMan2
03-17-2018, 06:01 PM
We are in semis, past quarters...

Yeah, id like to collect some domestic points as well, but still doesn't take away the fact I'm looking squarely at CCL...You know what a win in that tournament entails? Even if we go out at this stage, the respect we have gained is huge, I seen Mexican soccer pundits debating the merits of TFC's going through vs Tigres on National Mexican TV, never would have thought that was even possible 'til now, we did it, we beat Tigres over 2 legs. I am willing to sacrifice what amounts to a meaningless early MLS season to see if we can go even further. If we bow out in semi finals, in my eyes, we still gained. And yes, MLS Cup was a big deal, happy we won, But beating Tigres and doing well in this tournament is just as big. Don't kid yourself.

So even if we go out at this stage losing to Club America we have gained respect? So I guess the impact losing in the CCL final a few years ago tying Club America in Azteca in Mexico City and then losing at home in the big O in front of over 60 000 people in Montreal must have really gained a lot of respect then?

azorean
03-17-2018, 06:12 PM
Sorry but no excuses for being 0-2 from the best team in MLS history. The Juventus, Real Madrid's or Barcelona's of the world year in and year out play in champions league and other competitions along with their league play and year in and year out are still able to dominate in their league play. No excuses for this start two league games and no goals and two losses, it's yes very early but time to start winning no excuses sorry.

We in Champions league( not that one ) BUT We ain't no Juventus, Barcelona, or Real Madrid that's for sure,But we did play in arguably one of the biggest games in our history in midweek in Mexico. Travelled back. Hangover. And yes , that's an excuse.

azorean
03-17-2018, 06:15 PM
So even if we go out at this stage losing to Club America we have gained respect? So I guess the impact losing in the CCL final a few years ago tying Club America in Azteca in Mexico City and then losing at home in the big O in front of over 60 000 people in Montreal must have really gained a lot of respect then?

YES, to this day people still remember that game.

SoccMan2
03-17-2018, 06:27 PM
We in Champions league( not that one ) BUT We ain't no Juventus, Barcelona, or Real Madrid that's for sure,But we did play in arguably one of the biggest games in our history in midweek in Mexico. Travelled back. Hangover. And yes , that's an excuse.

Sorry not an excuse for a team and a club that talks real big, if your good you find ways to get results no excuses sorry, time to start winning in the league no excuses.

Richard
03-17-2018, 06:34 PM
We won everything in MLS last year including having the best all time points record.

At this point in time I don't care about MLS. We got bigger ambitions and we should 100% focus on winning the CCL.

backbeat
03-17-2018, 06:40 PM

absolutely - they gained respect big time and the game itself got casual observers interested- that was a significant moment for MLS and Canadian soccer imo

General Woolfe
03-17-2018, 06:41 PM
Three times today I watched Auro ignore Hasler going clear on the overlap screaming for the ball with Jozy in the box only to recycle the ball and make a square pass into the middle where the recipient, Bradley or Osorio, had the entire Montreal defence in front of them. That summed up the entire game for me. We played too many square passes and didn’t get the ball forward fast enough. It was clear from the start Montreal were going to pack their defence and hit us on the break. We needed to move the ball forward, directly and quickly, before Montreal could organize. However, instead we got slow square passes fr9m side to side, occasionally backward, before making a move forward into a wall of blue. This cycle was repeated the entire afternoon. I agree the line up was wrong. Van deer Weil is not a wing back. He should be held in reserve for games where a stay at home right back is required. Hasler to me seems the best option when 0laying 3-5-2. He might not be the strongest right sided defender but he is by far the best option going forward. Auro is somewhere between the two and shouldperhaps be viewed as one for the future as he excels neither in defence nor attack. Jozy looks like he’s treading mud and should have been rested today, and I think we need to face the fact sooner or later that without Mavinga our defence is slow and vulnerable to a pace counter. I’m also still unimpressed by Aketxe. He deserves more time however he’s no Vazquez MkII that’s for sure. I’m thinking of nicknaming him the crab on account of the number of sideways moves he makes.

However when all all is said and done you can still see we are a quality side. Today was one of those days where noth8ng came off for us, but on another a couple of those near things go in and we sneak away with a result. Too early to panic but we need to get things sorted soon

OgtheDim
03-17-2018, 06:45 PM
Don't worry, so looking forward to the shellacking they will receive next time we meet...bad timing this one.

This isn't bad timing.

This is the inability to deal with their midfield since last summer & no, the CCL does not cover up that inability.

If we do not fix that, we will not shelack them.

Hamilton_Red
03-17-2018, 06:47 PM
I have no issues prioritizing the CCL. Games against Tigres and C America make us better. For me though 1st in the East is the key and Supporters shield has to be the goal to guarantee the MLs Cup at home. Dissapointed to lose the home opener and then to our rivals...but the bigger concern is how the new players are fitting in. VdW and Aketxe haven’t lit the heather on fire - and for me Hasler was poor again today. Not sure where he fits in. Was surprised to see Rickets not get anytime - that giant pitch was crying out for him on counter attack when we were under pressure. We really missed Morrow and Mavinga today. Zavaletta has such poor kicking technique it’s hard to believe for a pro player.

azorean
03-17-2018, 06:47 PM
Sorry not an excuse for a team and a club that talks real big, if your good you find ways to get results no excuses sorry, time to start winning in the league no excuses.

Management has talked real big, YES, and I give them credit trying to follow through, backing it up to give us best possible chance, as in
travelling to have preseason in Mexico,etc...give them credit, they have ambition. Would We all have liked TFC to be 2-0 domestically instead of 0-2, of course we would, but that does not take away the good, very good, we have done thus far this season. We are one step away from the World Club Championship ! The MLS season is long, forgiving, and it can wait.

James17930
03-17-2018, 06:50 PM
Didn't see the game but just watched the highlights. Absolutely sucks to lose, but it looks like we dominated them for the whole 2nd half (?) So I guess that's a positive to take away.

But fuck we gotta get on track in the league NOW or we're just gonna slip way too far behind.

azorean
03-17-2018, 06:50 PM
This isn't bad timing.

This is the inability to deal with their midfield since last summer & no, the CCL does not cover up that inability.

If we do not fix that, we will not shelack them.

this was circumstance, if you cant see that, wait 'til next time we face them. They stink.

nonc
03-17-2018, 06:52 PM
Two very weak league performances.

Last year possession wasn’t even key to TFC success, they were out-possessed many times. I don’t know why Vanney is worried about it. Now they aimlessly hold the ball and play slower, like they are trying to be methodical but failing. Giving up way too many chances while creating almost nothing because they are not playing with the intensity and concentration required. TFC dominated last year because teams could not keep up to our tempo.

OgtheDim
03-17-2018, 06:57 PM
this was circumstance, if you cant see that, wait 'til next time we face them. They stink.

We played like this last summer & lost 5-3

We played like this in October & scraped out a 1-0 win but could easily have lost.

I'm not talking about just today.

I'm talking about a history that goes back a number of games now &...no....it will not be magically solved next time if we do not adjust.

Vanney said as much in the post game - we didn't play the ball fast enough.

azorean
03-17-2018, 07:07 PM
We played like this last summer & lost 5-3

We played like this in October & scraped out a 1-0 win but could easily have lost.

I'm not talking about just today.

I'm talking about a history that goes back a number of games now &...no....it will not be magically solved next time if we do not adjust.

Vanney said as much in the post game - we didn't play the ball fast enough.

AND yet we won the supporters shield, and MLS Cup ! WTF is it with the panic, we are 2 games in, ok, so we didn't beat our rival, we will have another couple of chances this season to do so, What have they done in recent years ? I couldn't give a shit if we lose all our games to them ( not going to happen ) and we still finish on top, What is your hangup with Montreal ? we are in CCL semi finals, one step away from facing the likes of Bayern, R.madrid, Barcelona, Juventus, Who gives a shit about an early season MLS game ?even if it is against the hated Impact. Come season ends we are still going to be on top, and most likely along the way have beaten them a couple of times. Overreaction.

69Chevy396
03-17-2018, 08:04 PM
This game further demonstrates the importance of Mavinga, Vazquez, and Morrow.

Carter
03-17-2018, 08:53 PM
AND yet we won the supporters shield, and MLS Cup ! WTF is it with the panic, we are 2 games in, ok, so we didn't beat our rival, we will have another couple of chances this season to do so, What have they done in recent years ? I couldn't give a shit if we lose all our games to them ( not going to happen ) and we still finish on top, What is your hangup with Montreal ? we are in CCL semi finals, one step away from facing the likes of Bayern, R.madrid, Barcelona, Juventus, Who gives a shit about an early season MLS game ?even if it is against the hated Impact. Come season ends we are still going to be on top, and most likely along the way have beaten them a couple of times. Overreaction.

2 steps, semis and final, but who’s counting...

ensco
03-17-2018, 10:18 PM
I don't mind that we lost. I don't like that we continue to mostly look disjointed. No goals from run of play in 4.5 of the last 5 games. But we are never the same without Vazquez going forward. Morrow and Mavinga aren’t minor absences either.

I liked Hasler in the forward role. Hasler has played there for Lichtenstein, and I wondered if Vanney might play him there against Seattle. Interesting response by Vanney to the problem, which is that teams are overloading us in midfield. I think that 4-3-3 (I think that's what that became) can work.

The most important point- No injuries on the plastic.

But still, godammit.

Best to forget the whole thing, I guess.

MightyDM
03-17-2018, 10:28 PM
In the first half they were totally ignoring Morgan, who was wide open and would have spread the play. Instead. Gio was trying very creative but hard give and go’s and little flicks for Jozy.

Bradley was caught on the ball several times by Piette and looked mentally and physically tired.

Morgan did decently, but the jury is still out on Van der Weil and Aketxe. Neither impressed.

Defoe
03-17-2018, 10:39 PM
The eyes are on Ager Aketxe a little more then they were for Vazquez in his two games. Ager hasn't looked good. VDW has been ok, just ok. Auro is fine. Good games and ok games. I think Auro will be really good. Zavaletta is not a starting level MLS player. I'm starting to become confused why he continually starts, but I guess we're thin back there. I look forward to our next signing being a CB.

I really hope Mavinga, Morrow and Vazquez are back soon.

I'm also not sure where Ager Aketxe fits in this team. He may be best used as a super sub, potentially even long term. It's way to early to start making some conclusions; just thinking out loud.

ensco
03-17-2018, 10:44 PM
I was very impressed by Fanni. Didn’t really know him. He kind of owned Jozy.

He played with Cheyrou and Gignac for years at Marseille. As did Valbuena. Is that whole team in North America now?

SirBobSaget
03-17-2018, 11:43 PM
I was very impressed by Fanni. Didn’t really know him. He kind of owned Jozy.

He played with Cheyrou and Gignac for years at Marseille. As did Valbuena. Is that whole team in North America now?

Well not Valbuena yet, but fingers crossed to TFC. He's on par with Giovinco except older, obviously.

Fort York Redcoat
03-18-2018, 12:02 AM
This is the only regular season match up I care about. Disappointing.

I sure would take it vs getting knocked out of the CCL.

We now have advanced as far as we ever have and we're the only Canadian team to do it twice. Hope it doesn't end here.

PizzaEatingYeti
03-18-2018, 04:32 AM

Holy cow, really, one step away?
It will be incredibly more difficult to win the next two ties than the ones we had with Colorado and Tigres, and even if in the final we would meet the NYRB.

Plus absolutely nothing would make TFC better known in Europe than winning this CONCACAF Champs League, because you really think fans in Europe care to follow the CONCACAF Champs league, except (and just maybe...) the final?
If we would win this we care the most about the exposure of TFC before the Euro fans, right?

In Europe the Concacaf Champs league is seen far far after the UEFA Champs league, and Libertadores, after the Asian Champs league, on par with the African Champs league, and just the Oceania Champs league is seen as lower quality.

If anyone in doubt about the importance given to CONCACAF by football fans in Europe, please go to a site like http://oddsportal.com. There the vast majority of members are from Europe, and there you can see the numbers of picks given on different matches from all the footy competitions in the world. That is a very clear indicator of the interest the Concacaf Champs league and MLS gets in Europe compared to all other competitions.
(you need to make a free membership to be able to see these numbers, but it takes just 2 minutes.)

IMO only winning the CONCACAF is better than winning the MLS Cup, and in my eyes just 4 presences in the finals, but lost finals in the CONCACAF would equal a single MLS Cup.

OgtheDim
03-18-2018, 10:36 AM
On this Club World Cup thing:

The CONCACAF teams goes first up against an Asian or African team. IF they win that, they play either the European or the South American champs.

Nobody in Europe really notices anything until the semis - if then.

Like, seriously, are people in Europe talking about Pachuca with knowing nods because they lost to Gremio?

TFC1154ever
03-18-2018, 10:48 AM
7 points, in our first 6 games last year, and we didn’t have CCL games mid week. Dominated the game, just needed a bit of quality in front of goal or the final pass. I agree we should attack wide more. We beat RSL at the end of the month, we’re on pace to do the exact same thing as last year. Calm people.

Fort York Redcoat
03-18-2018, 10:53 AM
CWC is amazing but its for the rest of the world, not Europe. Most teams that get to it from Europe (and their supporters) treat it as exotic at best and as an intrusion to the majority of European clubs and support.

That said, I don't really care about that. It doesn't change my high opinion of the opportunity of it. My interest in it is monumentally larger than winning the pussplops. And the only exciting win in MLS is v our only rivals in Montreal.

SoccMan2
03-18-2018, 11:03 AM
On this Club World Cup thing:

The CONCACAF teams goes first up against an Asian or African team. IF they win that, they play either the European or the South American champs.

Nobody in Europe really notices anything until the semis - if then.

Like, seriously, are people in Europe talking about Pachuca with knowing nods because they lost to Gremio?
Yes that’s the thing even if TFC were to win the Champions League they are not guaranteed a game versus one of the European big teams, have to get through another Conferderation champion and beat them . However , it would be nice to see how they would do against another Confederation before going to play against a big European power .

Defoe
03-18-2018, 11:07 AM
Right now MLS is in 3.0. When MLS is in 4.0 or 5.0; it could cost 100 million + to win a championship. Getting trophies now while they are affordable is important as well.

PizzaEatingYeti
03-18-2018, 12:19 PM
CWC is amazing but its for the rest of the world, not Europe. Most teams that get to it from Europe (and their supporters) treat it as exotic at best and as an intrusion to the majority of European clubs and support.

Very true!
They only notice who won every year that CWC.
Any team from the first 5 Euro leagues would not care about winning the CWC, if they would have to choose between that and winning their domestic league for the year.

DinamoTFC
03-18-2018, 08:24 PM
Who cares what Europe thinks of cwc. The cwc is important for every other confederation.
It's not so much the results in the tournament that matters, it's the fact we have the ability to make it. Similar to the world cup, usually only a handful of teams win it but doesn't change the fact that qualifying for it is one of the most important things for majority of nations.

Yohan
03-18-2018, 10:31 PM
Boy that was frustrating. It felt like seeing a 2015 TFC game when it was hard to break down a well organized opposition bunker. Vasquez (when in form) ability to unlock a defence was sorely missed. Aketxe, while has talent, just don't sync well with other TFC players so far. That's fine for now. I didn't expect him to adapt to MLS so fast.

Fatigue caught up to this bunch, also preoccupation with CCL in their minds, examplified by Bradley having one of his brainfart games. Piette pestered the hell out of Bradley, and teams are starting to cue in that taking Bradley out of the game is the way to disrupt TFC midfield. TFC also had trouble marking Piatti and Vargas both seemed to play a false nine role and the CBs had difficulty tracking them. Things got better when Vanney switched to a 4-4-2, and I think another day, TFC at least gets a draw. Oh well.

Oh well. Rest, regroup and onwards to RSL game.

ensco
03-19-2018, 06:26 AM
. Things got better when Vanney switched to a 4-4-2...

He tried something more radical to free Bradley and move bodies forward. It wasn't 4-4-2. I went back and looked at a couple of sequences last night.

Closest I can figure is that it was a 4-3-3 that occasionally turned into a 4-2-4, with Auro and Hasler both pushed forward.

Caldwell was right when he said Hasler was playing an old fashioned “inside left”.

Canary10
03-19-2018, 09:26 AM
Every team involved in a CCL quarter final game lost their league game this weekend. From that perspective, I think we need to chill. Yeah, it's Montreal, but at the end of the day in a league where the top 6 teams make the playoffs, the need to win and compete every game isn't as important as in a single table championship.

Initial B
03-19-2018, 11:39 AM
But... but... the QUAD...

Fort York Redcoat
03-19-2018, 12:01 PM
Very true!
They only notice who won every year that CWC.
Any team from the first 5 Euro leagues would not care about winning the CWC, if they would have to choose between that and winning their domestic league for the year.

Who cares what Europe thinks of cwc. The cwc is important for every other confederation.
It's not so much the results in the tournament that matters, it's the fact we have the ability to make it. Similar to the world cup, usually only a handful of teams win it but doesn't change the fact that qualifying for it is one of the most important things for majority of nations.

My point exactly. We are not Europe. I may like what they do and how they are organized but that isn't even possible here. Not with how NA sports is run on the whole.

My appreciation of the tourney isn't relative how others rate it. Just like the Shield vs the MLS Cup.

Anyway, a loss vs a rival stings but it stings more because this is the time peeps who prioritize this time of year want to see all cylinders firing. Long week till we play a struggling Salt Lake. Not a great leadup but a good recovery match?

azorean
03-19-2018, 01:26 PM
REMEMBER , we are very close here. Closer than we have ever been, maybe closer than we will ever get to be in the foreseeable future. One step may be technically wrong, BUT I'm pretty confident getting past club America and facing Red Bull/ Chivas would mean we are one step because I fully think we take those 2 teams out in a 2 leg final. All I'm saying is all the focus we have put into this CCL run is worth it, regardless if we go out to America. The MLS season is long, and forgiving. We know we have a side that can definitely compete in MLS, We are trying to find out if we can compete beyond MLS, and even if we don't take the Supporters shield , we will most definitely make the playoffs. It is all worth it for a shot at winning CCL imo right now. You say fans in Europe or wherever may not care, etc...The way to make them care or , at least for us to be recognized, is to be there. We have a shot here. A very good chance here. We beat Tigres. We are in with more than a punchers chance, It is almost like you have accepted defeat already in CCL? We have a chance ! and even if we miss out at this stage, still worth it imo as I know we will still be in there come MLS playoffs.

BelfastBoy
03-19-2018, 01:43 PM
I would trade 0-5 in the league for a berth in the CCL final and a chance to go to the CWC. So much time left in the league. The only sacrifice is the Supporters Shield.

Fort York Redcoat
03-19-2018, 01:47 PM
REMEMBER , we are very close here. Closer than we have ever been, maybe closer than we will ever get to be in the foreseeable future. One step may be technically wrong, BUT I'm pretty confident getting past club America and facing Red Bull/ Chivas would mean we are one step because I fully think we take those 2 teams out in a 2 leg final. All I'm saying is all the focus we have put into this CCL run is worth it, regardless if we go out to America. The MLS season is long, and forgiving. We know we have a side that can definitely compete in MLS, We are trying to find out if we can compete beyond MLS, and even if we don't take the Supporters shield , we will most definitely make the playoffs. It is all worth it for a shot at winning CCL imo right now. You say fans in Europe or wherever may not care, etc...The way to make them care or , at least for us to be recognized, is to be there. We have a shot here. A very good chance here. We beat Tigres. We are in with more than a punchers chance, It is almost like you have accepted defeat already in CCL? We have a chance ! and even if we miss out at this stage, still worth it imo as I know we will still be in there come MLS playoffs.

Who are you talking to? You should quote people if you are talking to someone specific. Clearly not all of us have accepted defeat or of one mind.

And we've made it this far before just not with as good a team.

azorean
03-19-2018, 01:55 PM
Who are you talking to? You should quote people if you are talking to someone specific. Clearly not all of us have accepted defeat or of one mind.

And we've made it this far before just not with as good a team.

You are right , I was replying to what Pizza said earlier. You are also VERY RIGHT about the fact that we have made it thus far before JUST not with the lineup we have now, that is why I think we are closer now than ever.

azorean
03-19-2018, 01:59 PM
I would trade 0-5 in the league for a berth in the CCL final and a chance to go to the CWC. So much time left in the league. The only sacrifice is the Supporters Shield.

I agree with you, not sure about the 0-5 part though, hahaha

ensco
03-19-2018, 02:20 PM
I don’t think there has been a general appreciation of just how big a deal it is that we beat Tigres.

Also of general tiredness - our guys had almost no offseason. So many monster games since the 2017 regular season ended.

I'll worry about the league later. We may be 7th in the east in June, but I will still feel confident in their ability to heat up and be the class of the league.

Fort York Redcoat
03-19-2018, 02:33 PM
So...we're pretty agreed that this full week of rest then Salt Lake at home should do us some good?

Victory!

azorean
03-19-2018, 02:55 PM
So...we're pretty agreed that this full week of rest then Salt Lake at home should do us some good?

Victory!

No Plata, No Silva last game, laundry list of injuries, they better hope for better next game , They were not at all impressive vs a hungover/ 2nd Red Bull team. We Winning this.

starter
03-19-2018, 04:01 PM
No Plata, No Silva last game, laundry list of injuries, they better hope for better next game , They were not at all impressive vs a hungover/ 2nd Red Bull team. We Winning this.
Nobody in this league wins just by showing up, they better be well prepared, and motivated for a fight.

azorean
03-19-2018, 04:06 PM
I don’t think there has been a general appreciation of just how big a deal it is that we beat Tigres.

Also of general tiredness - our guys had almost no offseason. So many monster games since the 2017 regular season ended.

I'll worry about the league later. We may be 7th in the east in June, but I will still feel confident in their ability to heat up and be the class of the league.

Exactly, just the fact we beat Tigres over 2 legs, game changer. Convinced me. We are in this. Not like before.It has been surprising the amount of people putting an emphasis on a early MLS season when we have THIS in front of us. We are good in MLS . We know that already.

azorean
03-19-2018, 04:10 PM
Nobody in this league wins just by showing up, they better be well prepared, and motivated for a fight.

Pretty sure TFC will be up there come end of season. Almost certain actually. Especially with this lineup and experience. CCL is where its at right now, if we win a couple of domestic games along the way, ill take it !

PizzaEatingYeti
03-19-2018, 04:57 PM

I have not accepted any defeat.
I have just said that it will be a lot more hard to go and win the remaining 2 ties, than those we had with Colorado and Tigres.
And I stand 100% behind what I said!

We have 1/3 chance to go past America, and then 1/2 chance to win the final tie, no matter who will be the other team in the final.
1/2 x 1/3 makes us having an 1/6 chance to win this, which means we are huge underdogs.

Anyone else saying we are not, is simply not in touch with the reality.

All I read on neutral sites is that this season Tigres had a lot inferior performance to America.
And yes, in the first game with the Tigres, thety have at least slightly under-appreciated us. This won't happen with America.
And yes, at the end of the match in Mexico with Tigres, we were in full panic mode, if the game would have gone 5 more minutes, we would have been probably eliminated.
No matter that we were concacaffed on that non existent penalty, because we will be on at least 1 goal in each and every game we'll play in Mexico for at least 5 more years.

Don't get me wrong, I would be the happiest possible for TFC to win it all.
I'm just realistic, and just because of last year's formidable season I'm not seeing TFC as world beaters.

azorean
03-19-2018, 05:22 PM
I have just said that it will be a lot more hard to go and win the remaining 2 ties, than those we had with Colorado and Tigres.

We have 1/3 chance to go past America, and then 1/2 chance to win the final tie, no matter who will be the other team in the final.
1/2 x 1/3 makes us having an 1/6 chance to win this, which means we are huge underdogs.

All I read on neutral sites is that this season Tigres had a lot inferior performance to America.
And yes, in the first game with the Tigres, thety have at least slightly under-appreciated us. This won't happen with America.
And yes, at the end of the match in Mexico with Tigres, we were in full panic mode, if the game would have gone 5 more minutes, we would have been probably eliminated.
No matter that we were concacaffed on that non existent penalty, because we will be on at least 1 goal in each and every game we'll play in Mexico for at least 5 more years.

I'm just realistic, and just because of last year's formidable season I'm not seeing TFC as world beaters.

Honestly, you sound / read as half defeated. If this and if that , a third this, half that, Tigres inferior to America, etc...let this play out. Who cares if we are huge underdogs? We were underdogs to Tigres. You said it will be so much harder to get by now to win this thing, I don't know about that, we have done a lot of heavy lifting already. America is our biggest obstacle, I'll grant you that, past that and i'll take my chances in the final vs Red Bull / Chivas, Heck, we might even be favoured. The fact is , that Tigres game didn't go 5 minutes longer, and over 2 legs we looked pretty damn good, better then Tigres I would say. I Still go back to this, what are we losing by focusing on this competion? Are the playoffs in jeopardy? We know we have a good team and will compete in MLS when all is said and done.

Thomas
03-19-2018, 05:58 PM
This!

Honestly, you sound / read as half defeated. If this and if that , a third this, half that, Tigres inferior to America, etc...let this play out. Who cares if we are huge underdogs? We were underdogs to Tigres. You said it will be so much harder to get by now to win this thing, I don't know about that, we have done a lot of heavy lifting already. America is our biggest obstacle, I'll grant you that, past that and i'll take my chances in the final vs Red Bull / Chivas, Heck, we might even be favoured. The fact is , that Tigres game didn't go 5 minutes longer, and over 2 legs we looked pretty damn good, better then Tigres I would say. I Still go back to this, what are we losing by focusing on this competion? Are the playoffs in jeopardy? We know we have a good team and will compete in MLS when all is said and done.

Initial B
03-19-2018, 07:14 PM
I think everyone is bracing themselves for disappointment. Too many years of PTSD to overcome. Also the fact that no MLS team has ever won the thing. Until some team proves it is possible - then that will be it.

stevep
03-19-2018, 11:08 PM

where are you getting these odds? I cannot find betting odds on the club america series anywhere??
or is this just your odds?

EL DUQUE'----'
03-20-2018, 03:18 AM
Good point, I also seem to remember a stat that no other MLS team has won the treble.. :cheers::cheers::cheers:..Fate my be on our side yet again.

Derko
03-20-2018, 05:49 AM
I was disappointed in the result, I honestly am not worried, but I will sum it up in a few words, TFC are not ruthless enough, to be a winner you have to be ruthless and selfish more often than not. Just food for thought

Canary10
03-20-2018, 08:49 AM
I said this up above somewhere, but worth saying again. Every team that had a quarter final CCL game lost their following league game.

notthesun
03-20-2018, 09:08 AM
I said this up above somewhere, but worth saying again. Every team that had a quarter final CCL game lost their following league game.

As I mentioned in another thread, 4 out of a possible 18 points have been picked up by teams in MLS play during the same week they played in CCL so far.

Winning games on short rest is very doable in mid-season, but pretty tough early on as guys are still getting their legs under them and new players are still being integrated.

TFC Tifoso
03-20-2018, 09:33 AM

As I mentioned in another thread, 4 out of a possible 18 points have been picked up by teams in MLS play during the same week they played in CCL so far.

Winning games on short rest is very doable in mid-season, but pretty tough early on as guys are still getting their legs under them and new players are still being integrated.

good posts.....I am not worried much about the weekend....more so who we lost to, rather than the loss itself....need to pick it up next game and get 3, though.

Hamilton_Red
03-20-2018, 01:50 PM
The two losses to start the league are not crucial in the big picture. I still expect us to compete to win the East and the Supporters Shield. The nature of the losses is the more disappointing thing.

You roll out on opening day with a Championship flag to raise and three trophies, three new exciting signings in front of your home crowd....you really should be pumped and that should carry you through. You travel to your biggest rivals on St Patrick's Day pumped for a huge win in Mexico and a ten day break to look forward to...with the depth that we have...you should win. Especially after losing the first game.

You win those two games and the rest of the league will be shit scared to play TFC this season. Now everyone will think they have a chance. I really expect Montreal to be out of play-off contention they don't look improved to me at all.

azorean
03-20-2018, 02:42 PM
The two losses to start the league are not crucial in the big picture. I still expect us to compete to win the East and the Supporters Shield. The nature of the losses is the more disappointing thing.

You roll out on opening day with a Championship flag to raise and three trophies, three new exciting signings in front of your home crowd....you really should be pumped and that should carry you through. You travel to your biggest rivals on St Patrick's Day pumped for a huge win in Mexico and a ten day break to look forward to...with the depth that we have...you should win. Especially after losing the first game.

You win those two games and the rest of the league will be shit scared to play TFC this season. Now everyone will think they have a chance. I really expect Montreal to be out of play-off contention they don't look improved to me at all.

yeah, I agree. It Stinks. I think we will turn it around here soon though. I am not an expert in any way , but one thing from watching European and South American soccer in recent years is to kind of expect the unexpected when a club is involved in multiple competitions, especially when there is a big prize to be had. I guess it applies to all sports, or life in general for that matter, to be honest, when focus may be not all there. I have seen so many surprising results with BIG teams, and afterwards you ask yourself ..They lost to who? How? only to find out afterwards the team in question was either coming off a huge result outside their league, or were looking forward to a huge international match. It happens. I think we are going through some of that.

Cas87
03-20-2018, 03:53 PM

If we win 2 of the next 3 league games, were only one point behind our pace from last year when WE SET THE ALL TIME RECORD!!!
The regular season is a marathon, not a sprint.
CCL is a sprint, might as well use our biggest amounts of energy on that until we're out of the competition.

El Diego
03-20-2018, 04:18 PM
It is entirely possible to be:

1. Upset with the Montreal (and Columbus) results and performances;

2. Excited about our chances in the CCL; and

3. Not worried about the regular season standings or general direction of the team.

All at the same time.

PizzaEatingYeti
03-20-2018, 04:54 PM
It is entirely possible to be:

1. Upset with the Montreal (and Columbus) results and performances;

2. Excited about our chances in the CCL; and

3. Not worried about the regular season standings or general direction of the team.

All at the same time.

1. Check!
2. Check!
3. I have a "slight problem" here right now, could be a "problem" after the next game...
If we are not winning our next game at home, we alredy have lost at least 5 points at home. All good if everything would play out later on like last year, but I think this year we'll be seriously challenged by at least 1 team for the 1 st place in the East. ... even if we would have the point total like last year.