PDA

View Full Version : MLS Champ vs. Mexican Champions - Sept 19

OgtheDim
03-13-2018, 08:34 AM
https://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/major-league-soccer-forms-partnership-mexicos-liga-mx/

Annual thing - happens to be us this year

rydermike
03-13-2018, 09:04 AM
Potential TFC Tigres rematch

Ben - D.O.W.
03-13-2018, 09:10 AM
I wonder how they decided who gets to host, and if the fact that it's hear this year means it'll be played in Mexico next year.

Lennon
03-13-2018, 10:13 AM
Boo this. Play TFC II.

wopchop
03-13-2018, 10:35 AM
This will be right in the heart of the Supporters Shield race ... Boo

Also, we already have a Champions League, so whats the point of this? Other than dinheiro, of course.

Oldtimer
03-13-2018, 01:08 PM
I wonder how they decided who gets to host, and if the fact that it's hear this year means it'll be played in Mexico next year.

The Moneygrab Cup will always be hosted by MLS, I'm sure, for financial reasons.

Another cup to store in the furnace room, along with the Trillium Cup.

Red CB Toronto
03-13-2018, 01:39 PM
The Moneygrab Cup will always be hosted by MLS, I'm sure, for financial reasons.

Completely agree on that it will always be hosted by the MLS Cup winner. Have we not seen something like his tried before with the https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_American_SuperLiga. It was scrapped back in 2010 due to the growth of Champions League. Guess with the group stage being scrapped they decided they have dates to fill, dollars to be made. Just looking at the date the lads take on Galaxy at home the Saturday before and on the road to NYRB the Saturday after, making for a busy, congested week.

I am sure the league will not want the optics of the Reds running out a reserve/TFC2 side for this match, will be interesting to see their approach.

ensco
03-13-2018, 02:30 PM
You know what? The buggers finally figured out how to mash a friendly in there that will work.

I know that this will not be true for a meaningful subset on here, but I suspect this game can be a ticket sales and TV ratings success.

Can we move the Saturday Sept 15 Galaxy game to the 8th or 11th or 12th? Both TFC and the Galaxy are off Sept 1-15. I am sure there is a FIFA break there, but Bradley and Altidore and LA’s Mexican players can skip whatever meaningless friendly they have going on then, in the spirit of building this MLS-Liga MX partnership...

James17930
03-13-2018, 02:37 PM
Yawn.

CCL is the only thing that matters. This is a cash grab, as has been stated. At least when they tried Superliga there was no CCL, so it had a quasi-good reason for existence. This new thing is just pointless.

I hope someone at TFC speaks out against this.

billyfly
03-13-2018, 02:40 PM
You know what? The buggers finally figured out how to mash a friendly in there that will work.

I know that this will not be true for a meaningful subset on here, but I suspect this game can be a ticket sales and TV ratings success.

Can we move the Saturday Sept 15 Galaxy game to the 8th or 11th or 12th? Both TFC and the Galaxy are off Sept 1-15. I am sure there is a FIFA break there, but Bradley and Altidore and LA’s Mexican players can skip whatever meaningless friendly they have going on then, in the spirit of building this MLS-Liga MX partnership...

Good idea.

Red CB Toronto
03-13-2018, 02:42 PM
Well Greg at the moment is giving it positive lip service, which I would totally expect. I wonder if this will actually be a considered a friendly or will it be positioned like the Super Cups are in Europe as an office match all for optics.

Kurtis W. Larson‏Verified account @KurtLarSUN (https://twitter.com/KurtLarSUN) 34m34 minutes ago (https://twitter.com/KurtLarSUN/status/973635744551010304)More

Vanney on the Campeones Cup: “Initially people won’t know what to make of it. But I think it will become one of the bigger events. There’s a fair bit of hoopla around us playing Tigres right now. We look forward to it. Another good game in our schedule." #TFCLive (https://twitter.com/hashtag/TFCLive?src=hash)

Yawn.

CCL is the only thing that matters. This is a cash grab, as has been stated. At least when they tried Superliga there was no CCL, so it had a quasi-good reason for existence. This new thing is just pointless.

Globetrotter
03-13-2018, 03:12 PM
Aside from injuries and possibly crammed schedules, etc - it is a late season game against a VERY good team, which can only be helpful as teams wind out the stretch and head into the playoffs. It might gear up the compete level and keep us in check, especially if the playoff spot and/or shield is already clinched by then.

James17930
03-13-2018, 03:25 PM
Well Greg at the moment is giving it positive lip service, which I would totally expect. I wonder if this will actually be a considered a friendly or will it be positioned like the Super Cups are in Europe as an office match all for optics.

Kurtis W. Larson‏Verified account @KurtLarSUN (https://twitter.com/KurtLarSUN) 34m34 minutes ago (https://twitter.com/KurtLarSUN/status/973635744551010304)More

Vanney on the Campeones Cup: “Initially people won’t know what to make of it. But I think it will become one of the bigger events. There’s a fair bit of hoopla around us playing Tigres right now. We look forward to it. Another good game in our schedule." #TFCLive (https://twitter.com/hashtag/TFCLive?src=hash)

I posted this in another thread:

"Someone brought up a good point on MLS.com ... if it's the MLS Cup winner playing in the game, that could potentially be only the 12 best team in MLS during the previous regular season. Plus the game is almost a year removed from them winning it."

If they're going to insist on doing this, they need to maybe re-think the setup.

BenRhodes23
03-13-2018, 06:55 PM
Why not do MLS all-stars vs Liga MX all-stars

molenshtain
03-13-2018, 06:57 PM
This sounds kind of...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XI7FoCHJ01k (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XI7FoCHJ01k)

spe18
03-13-2018, 07:19 PM

This is actually part of the agreement from what I've seen - one of the future all star games will be MLS all-stars vs Liga MX all-stars. Not sure yet when that will be though.

RedsYNWA
03-13-2018, 07:31 PM
At the end of the day there will be a Super Americas League (MLS, MEX & South America) that will rival Uefa.

I can see shitty small Canadian teams along with Bolivian Honduran etc. having their National "b" Leagues.....

The Super Americas League with a NA & SA divided into 4 divisions of 20 elite teams with no borders would be a cash Cow giant

wopchop
03-13-2018, 07:33 PM
This is actually part of the agreement from what I've seen - one of the future all star games will be MLS all-stars vs Liga MX all-stars. Not sure yet when that will be though.
I don't mind this idea. The All Star Game is already pretty lame, but at least this idea sounds entertaining.

Ultra & Proud
03-13-2018, 08:53 PM
I posted this in another thread:

"Someone brought up a good point on MLS.com ... if it's the MLS Cup winner playing in the game, that could potentially be only the 12 best team in MLS during the previous regular season. Plus the game is almost a year removed from them winning it."

If they're going to insist on doing this, they need to maybe re-think the setup.

You mean like the Rapids being in the round of 16 of the CCL this season?

James17930
03-13-2018, 09:01 PM
You mean like the Rapids being in the round of 16 of the CCL this season?

Yeah, something like that.

TheGoodson
03-14-2018, 07:18 AM
Well this game just got a bit more interesting... especially if Tigres is the team that comes to town

Blindside16
03-14-2018, 08:40 AM
Well this game just got a bit more interesting... especially if Tigres is the team that comes to town

I agree. If it is Tigres, we could be blessed with an amazing game.

Jack
03-14-2018, 08:44 AM
At the end of the day there will be a Super Americas League (MLS, MEX & South America) that will rival Uefa.

I can see shitty small Canadian teams along with Bolivian Honduran etc. having their National "b" Leagues.....

The Super Americas League with a NA & SA divided into 4 divisions of 20 elite teams with no borders would be a cash Cow giant

That's a nice dream, but I don't know if it will happen any time soon. The better MLS first teams are starting to be able to play with the good Mexican teams in the CL, appearntly, but from there to playing in a league against them over the course of a season is a different beast. The depth and resources of the big Mexican clubs are far beyond what MLS teams can bring to bear.

ensco
03-14-2018, 09:34 AM
^That superleague idea ... it would take revolution for that to happen. Literally.

The bigger clubs cannot just break free from their national federations. This isn't Europe. There would be riots. Without exaggeration.

The degree to which soccer clubs in South America are part of the political and social fabric, and they and their supporters have organized crime links... I mean, fuggadaboutit

I would just like to see the top two or three MLS teams in Copa Libertadores.

OgtheDim
03-14-2018, 09:53 AM
I think we are going to see:

a) An expanded Copa Libertadores that includes North American teams

b) Copa America including CONCACAF & happening in the US every 4 years

WAAY too much money to be made by including the US & Mexico.

troy1982
03-14-2018, 01:58 PM
Yawn.

The SuperLiga and the CCL were concurrent tournaments, in fact the teams that qualified for the SuperLiga were the best MLS which did not qualify for the CCL.

troy1982
03-14-2018, 02:01 PM

It's an attention grab not a money grab.
Liga MX is by far the most popular league in the US and gets upto 2 million viewers for some games, compared to the 500,000 for the EPL and big MLS games
This competition is to attract some of them to MLS.

troy1982
03-14-2018, 02:08 PM
I think we are going to see:

a) An expanded Copa Libertadores that includes North American teams

b) Copa America including CONCACAF & happening in the US every 4 years

WAAY too much money to be made by including the US & Mexico.

a) I don't think you know how far most of South America is to Toronto.
The distance between Toronto and Buenos Aires (8,953 km) 20% more than the distance between Toronto & Moscow (7,482 km)
so pretty much all of Europe is MUCH closer than distance than the most popular parts of South America
It would make more sense doing UEFA and CONCACAF than CONEMBOL

OgtheDim
03-14-2018, 02:11 PM
Oh, I know the distances.

$ talks

troy1982
03-14-2018, 02:15 PM
Oh, I know the distances.

$ talks

why not join UEFA then, there will be even more money there and European teams are hungary for the America dollar.

ensco
03-14-2018, 02:42 PM
Distance matters less in the modern world. I don't think that is much of an issue.

UEFA has nothing to gain from joining with anyone. They are already by far the biggest TV market in the world. They probably need to shrink - winning the Euros is harder than winning the World Cup.

Copa Libertadores, that's different. They could create something bigger and more valuable by adding MLS and Liga MX on a more permanent basis. They might want to consider Japan while they are at it.

wopchop
03-14-2018, 06:08 PM
Anything in Central or South America simply makes sense because all games can be easily broadcast in US prime time slots - generating maximum $ for TV rights.

RedsYNWA
03-15-2018, 04:39 PM
Anything in Central or South America simply makes sense because all games can be easily broadcast in US prime time slots - generating maximum $ for TV rights.

^^ This for sure at the end $ talks...

I see One Americas Super Champions League replacing the Copa Lib & Concacaf CL that just don't draw as much attention and attendance as a combined venture would

RedsYNWA
03-15-2018, 04:42 PM
The confederations can still keep sub cups like the Copa Sud America & we could have a Concacaf Cup with the weaker sides ala the Europa League

Jack
03-15-2018, 05:10 PM
^^ This for sure at the end $ talks...

I see One Americas Super Champions League replacing the Copa Lib & Concacaf CL that just don't draw as much attention and attendance as a combined venture would
The Copa Libertadores is big everywhere south of the USA. Big TV deals and all over Mexican TV, as well as further south. At least, when I lived there it was.

Sure, the USA is a big market, but the soccer TV revenue isn't exactly a big chunk of the TV pie. Mexico, Brazil, Argentina, Colombia et al. have large TV markets for Libertadores and bring in big money.

RedsYNWA
03-15-2018, 05:51 PM
You are right Jack... form the friends I have down in SA anything involving the USA where everyone and their mother has family would be Bigger than just their own regional thing.
MLS has to prove it belongs among the likes of Boca/Tigres/River/ColoColo etc.
& I think TFC winning the Concacaf Champions League * knock on wood.. will get the wheels rolling as far as respect goes.

It is far easier to cut deals with South America (see Copa America Centenario) than anything to do with "don't upset the status quo" Europe

RedsYNWA
03-15-2018, 06:00 PM
Another thing to keep in mind as the world shrinks..is that South Americas competition has been stagnant for the past 2 decades..any new competition will only be welcome to breathe new life to clubs that are looking for other ways than development to make money.

gmacpheetfc
03-15-2018, 06:43 PM
If the Americas could get a unified football calendar that had all league championships finish before the last int'l break of the calendar year an 8 team super club tournament at a neutral site following that break would be epic.

8 Invitees:
MLS Cup Winner
Mexican Campeon de Campeon Winner
Argentinian League Winner
Brazilian Cup or League Winner
Colombian Champion?
Copa Lib Winner
Concacaf Champions League Winner
Wildcard Invitee or Host

Fort York Redcoat
03-16-2018, 12:01 PM
https://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/major-league-soccer-forms-partnership-mexicos-liga-mx/

Annual thing - happens to be us this year

Brand new annual thing. Really just a Charity Shield between the 2 big countries in NA. Just happens that a Canadian team won it. No thanks. Glad for Mexican fans living away from home.

Fort York Redcoat
03-16-2018, 12:04 PM
This will be right in the heart of the Supporters Shield race ... Boo

Also, we already have a Champions League, so whats the point of this? Other than dinheiro, of course.

This is with MX in mind after they have THEIR 2 champs play each other. It's actually pretty nice to think MX would like keep comparing their champs to ours. Even after more than half a season after the MLS side won.

Fort York Redcoat
03-16-2018, 12:07 PM
Yawn.

But I think its more for the teams that win MLS cup and quickly exit the CCL. It happens. Our sitch is rare that we won the MLS Cup, The Shield and the Vcup. So it seems most redundant.

Fort York Redcoat
03-16-2018, 12:09 PM

Please no.

ASG are the worst kind of friendlies IMO

Fort York Redcoat
03-16-2018, 12:15 PM

LOL this again.

As we can see by the numerous posts afterward I think its been mulled over.

You may be right eventually. I'll just enjoy our regions growth till then.

Look at the new CONCACAF League. Within 2 years we'll have the worlds largest (most numerous) region sorted into levels that all nations can follow and find their place to climb the ladder and leagues.

It's what I've been waiting for. What you and others have said for a decade now feels like giving up to me.

Our Champions League seems to be getting the job done. Interest in Mexico to beat US(and Canadian) teams is strong and they have their invitational Libertadores. I was lucky to witness it firsthand this week.

I have no need to see SA teams to validate competition in our region. And they certainly don't give a shit about our teams.

But it would just be about $$$ if it were to happen anyway.

ensco
03-16-2018, 01:21 PM
I hope we see Tigres in September. I really enjoyed their style of play. That second half at BMO, I want more of that.

ensco
07-17-2018, 07:22 PM
^I forgot that I posted that.

Wish granted.

https://www.wakingthered.com/platform/amp/toronto-fc/2018/7/16/17575318/toronto-fc-to-play-tigres-in-campeones-cup-mls-liga-mx

Ben - D.O.W.
07-18-2018, 10:29 AM
I hope we see Tigres in September. I really enjoyed their style of play. That second half at BMO, I want more of that.

Do you think at this point we'll be able to play at that level again for this game? As the season progresses I'm less and less hopeful of this game being anything more than a beating.

ensco
07-18-2018, 04:36 PM
Do you think at this point we'll be able to play at that level again for this game? As the season progresses I'm less and less hopeful of this game being anything more than a beating.

Will we have Altidore, Mavinga, Moor back?

OgtheDim
07-20-2018, 08:25 AM
So got the email saying to secure my seat for this event

Clicked the link provided to "secure my seat"

No indication of the seat in the account.

Email only came out at 9 so going to wait a few hours.

paul-collins
07-20-2018, 09:49 AM
So got the email saying to secure my seat for this event

Clicked the link provided to "secure my seat"

No indication of the seat in the account.

Email only came out at 9 so going to wait a few hours.

Same. Works now though.

flatpicker
07-20-2018, 02:24 PM
Trying to decide if this is a game I should be interested in...

OgtheDim
07-20-2018, 02:43 PM
FWIW

$29 for 221.

FootBallAZ
07-23-2018, 11:23 PM
FWIW

$29 for 221.

$118 for 207. Lol what am I doing wrong

Blkndkr
07-24-2018, 01:16 PM
I was thinking the same thing, but you got it worse. $90 in 224. I didn’t bite this time.
$118 for 207. Lol what am I doing wrong

Globetrotter
07-24-2018, 01:21 PM
$19 seats in the south end.

Joe Kool
07-24-2018, 01:32 PM
Aside from my son already playing a game on this night so I couldn't probably go anyway, I am not bothering with this game. They grabbed enough of my money already this year and if I spend extra it will hopefully be on post season games. I will catch this one on TV. No guarantee TFC will even be competitive by then going by the luck we had the rest of this season.

backbeat
07-24-2018, 01:48 PM
Well I don't know about everyone else but I am so looking forward to this game - I wouldn't miss it...

Red4ever
07-24-2018, 01:50 PM
Mid season friendly...

ntxKRj9DRnc

magmadragon
07-24-2018, 02:49 PM
I always say midseason friendlies are stupid, and I said that about the others we had......but I still end up going. $24 in 111, I might as well. Tigres were entertaining to watch.

Red CB Toronto
07-24-2018, 04:09 PM
I always say midseason friendlies are stupid, and I said that about the others we had......but I still end up going. $24 in 111, I might as well. Tigres were entertaining to watch.

This is actually considered a competitive cup match whatever anyone may think of it. It goes along the lines of what Super Liga was.

PizzaEatingYeti
07-25-2018, 04:09 AM
This match will come at the worst possible time one can imagine.
Almost sure TFC will desperately scramble at that point in time to get into the playoffs, and this is a huge distraction/possible injury/extra fatigue factor for the players.

Alonso
07-25-2018, 07:53 AM
This match will come at the worst possible time one can imagine.
Almost sure TFC will desperately scramble at that point in time to get into the playoffs, and this is a huge distraction/possible injury/extra fatigue factor for the players.

Yeah man, and what for? The game isn't the problem, the scheduling is. Some one previously mentioned moving one of the MLS games to the week before when we don't have a match. Why does MLS keep doing this? Match congestion is the problem, not necessarily the matches.

magmadragon
07-25-2018, 12:21 PM
This is actually considered a competitive cup match whatever anyone may think of it. It goes along the lines of what Super Liga was.

I can appreciate that, but we'll see if this is actually taken as a proper competitive game.

magmadragon
07-25-2018, 12:22 PM
Yeah man, and what for? The game isn't the problem, the scheduling is. Some one previously mentioned moving one of the MLS games to the week before when we don't have a match. Why does MLS keep doing this? Match congestion is the problem, not necessarily the matches.

International window

Alonso
07-25-2018, 08:45 PM
International window

Yeah, true. But we don't have any players playing in a match that actually matters internationally.

magmadragon
07-25-2018, 10:13 PM
Yeah, true. But we don't have any players playing in a match that actually matters internationally.

But does LA Galaxy?

TFC1986
07-25-2018, 11:33 PM
I'm glad I didn't buy tickets for this. Sort of happy alot of other people didn't either. And actually take a stand. Unlike other sports teams in our city. Sends a message I believe, that they can't try and sell us a crappy product

koolvid12
07-26-2018, 03:20 AM
So is this a glorified friendly?

JT Red127
07-26-2018, 07:39 AM
Yes, this match is a little silly but I cant get enough of TFC. So no way I wasn't going to buy my tickets for $24. Maybe i'm getting old but I'm not sure what kind of message would be sent by not going to this game.

We're only playing this because we're champions, it's not going to occur very often. Go, and enjoy seeing your club play a high quality opponent, enjoy what with the CCL and this may be the start of a cool international rivalry with a top Mexican club. TFC till I die.