PDA

View Full Version : CCL QFinals Leg 1- Tigres @ TFC Wed March 7 8pm - Letting Go is the Name of the Game

Pages : [1] 2

OgtheDim
02-28-2018, 10:21 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WKajQGJnMnM

(Yes, I resisted the obvious choice)

Letting it go is the name of the game
Is to dance with the tiger
And laugh at the rain

Have at It People

Jack
02-28-2018, 10:48 AM
Tigres are in mid-season form and will be taking this seriously. They've been good the past few years, but we shouldn't fear them. We need to keep them off the board at home and try to bang a few in before we head down there.

GlenM
02-28-2018, 10:49 AM
NOTE:

This game is being posted as being played on Tues March 6th 8 PM @ BMO

GlenM

TFC Tifoso
02-28-2018, 10:51 AM
NOTE:

This game is being posted as being played on Tues March 6th 8 PM @ BMO

GlenM

Where did you see that? Email from TFC regarding extra tickets for QF of CCL that came out last night and again this morning both have Wed Mar. 7.

GlenM
02-28-2018, 10:53 AM
Where did you see that? Email from TFC regarding extra tickets for QF of CCL that came out last night and again this morning both have Wed Mar. 7.

Yes, I know.

However, Concacef has it posted as Tues March 6th 8 PM @ BMO

GlenM

kodiakTFC
02-28-2018, 10:55 AM
Yes, I know.

GlenM

Our tickets read March 7th, 8pm. Also, why is this game free? Is it suppose to be included in our SSH package?

Edit: I investigated.
Package
• All 17 MLS regular season home matches
• 1 CONCACAF Champions League (CCL) Match
• 2 additional matches, CCL or Canadian Championships
• Priority Access to 2017 Home Playoff Matches

TFC Tifoso
02-28-2018, 10:56 AM
Yes, I know.

GlenM

hmmm....and nothing at all on TFC site schedule.....looks like there's still some sorting out to do....

GlenM
02-28-2018, 10:56 AM
Our tickets read March 7th, 8pm. Also, why is this game free? Is it suppose to be included in our SSH package?

Tixs are included in SSH.

We really need to get a confirmation on the date/time etc... been seeing both everywhere

GlenM

kodiakTFC
02-28-2018, 10:57 AM
hmmm....and nothing at all on TFC site schedule.....looks like there's still some sorting out to do....

Tickets are in your account. March 7th.

CBTFC
02-28-2018, 10:58 AM
No date or time confirmed as of yet on the official SCCL website:

https://www.concacafchampionsleague.com/en/schedule-results#tab_team=all-matches

TFC Tifoso
02-28-2018, 10:59 AM
Tickets are in your account. March 7th.

yes I see that too....maybe CONCACAF just has it wrong....fitting, I'd say....

ensco
02-28-2018, 11:00 AM
(Yes, I resisted the obvious choice)

Any Leaf fan old enough to have seen Tiger Williams play will remember that the Gardens organist played “Hold That Tiger” every time he fought.

So I heard this song a lot in my youth.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=zYPwxJQZTNo

KGH
02-28-2018, 11:00 AM
They play a league game on Sunday against Veracruz then us on tues/wed. Followed by another league game on Saturday with Club Tijuana then us on the following tues/wed.

Tigres sit 6th in Liga MX, Veracruz sits 14th and Tijuana is 10th.

We have Cbus this weekend but then no game between the 2 Tigres matches.

I wouldn't be surprised if they send a reserve squad here for next weeks game with the hope of squeaking out a close one or even lose by 1-2 goals. Then play the big kids the following match at home.

TheGoodson
02-28-2018, 11:03 AM
This is a huge game... Ideally we need to win by a couple of goals and keep a clean sheet...

I think playing 3-5-2 is the way to go as, Moor has looked shaky when we played 4 in the back.

Primavera
02-28-2018, 11:05 AM
I don't think it's free. I read somewhere - wish I remember where - that this game takes the place of one of the CCL or Can Champ games.

P

Edit: I investigated.
Package
• All 17 MLS regular season home matches
• 1 CONCACAF Champions League (CCL) Match
• 2 additional matches, CCL or Canadian Championships
• Priority Access to 2017 Home Playoff Matches

Cas87
02-28-2018, 11:10 AM
I don't think it's free. I read somewhere - wish I remember where - that this game takes the place of one of the CCL or Can Champ games.

P

In our package the tickets we got outside of the MLS regular season are:

First CCL game (last night),

And then the next 2 either CCL or Can Champ (whichever happens first).
So, we will need to pay later on for the CCL final (if we reach it), and at least 1 Can Champ game right now.

ensco
02-28-2018, 11:10 AM
Herediano gave them some trouble, they won’t be feeling that confident. I bet they will send everybody. Forget home field, like Vanney said, it's a 180 minute tie.

This competition matters in Mexico. Everybody wants to play a Barcelona or a Bayern in Tokyo (or wherever they do it now)

paul-collins
02-28-2018, 11:13 AM
I can't do anything with my tickets on the account because it says:

There are no actions available for the seats below.

Due to an outstanding payment on your invoice, some seats may not be eligible for certain actions. To make a payment, click here (https://oss.ticketmaster.com/aps/tfc/EN/account/home).

Section xx, Row xx
You have 2 seat(s)

seat details
current entry method to event
ticket status

Seat xx
Not Available for Action

Seat xx
Not Available for Action

I'm on the instalment plan but I don't seem to see where I am required to, or can, make a payment (other than accelerating my regular payments)?

Does anyone else have this? My suspicion is just that the ticket setup is incomplete at this time. My league game tickets are fine for download etc.

PizzaEatingYeti
02-28-2018, 11:18 AM
Guys, let's be totally honest about this:
Will be an incredibly difficult two legged affair for TFC.

We'll need to play the first leg keeping in mind that it's almost impossible we'll not get scored on us at least twice in Mexico.
IMO anything less than a 2 goal victory at BMO will lead us not having more than 25% chances going through after the 2nd leg.

OgtheDim
02-28-2018, 11:27 AM
I hope we bust out the 3-5-2 in this one.

Jack
02-28-2018, 11:31 AM

Due to an outstanding payment on your invoice, some seats may not be eligible for certain actions. To make a payment, click here (https://oss.ticketmaster.com/aps/tfc/EN/account/home).

Section xx, Row xx
You have 2 seat(s)

seat details
current entry method to event
ticket status

Seat xx
Not Available for Action

Seat xx
Not Available for Action

I'm on the instalment plan but I don't seem to see where I am required to, or can, make a payment (other than accelerating my regular payments)?

Does anyone else have this? My suspicion is just that the ticket setup is incomplete at this time. My league game tickets are fine for download etc.

I'd give them another day to sort shit out.

Areathrasher
02-28-2018, 11:33 AM
This is a good read on Tigres

Consistently competing for trophies under longtime boss Ricardo “Tuca” Ferretti, Los Felinos have won three of the last five Liga MX championships (the 2015, 2016 and 2017 Aperturas) and finished as runners-up in last year's Clausura.
One of only two men in Mexican soccer history to coach more than 1,000 league games, their hard-boiled Brazilian manager is as savvy and ruthless as they come, and has steered the club for more than a decade – a lifetime in Mexican coaching terms. US-based fans may remember Ferretti as the one who took over El Tri for a brief stint in 2015, orchestrating Mexico (http://www.mlssoccer.com/meta/club/mexico)’s dramatic CONCACAF Cup win (https://www.mlssoccer.com/meta/competition/concacaf-cup) over the USMNT (https://www.mlssoccer.com/meta/club/united-states) at the Rose Bowl to book tickets to the 2017 FIFA Confederations Cup.
Just as daunting: Tigres, fuelled by success as well as the investment of investors Cemex, a construction-industry titan, have relentlessly built on one achievement after another, splashing out on some of the biggest transfers in modern Liga MX history.
The headliner is French striker Andre-Pierre Gignac, a powerful finisher and mercurial personality who has turned many heads in Europe towards the Mexican game. Chilean attacker Eduardo Vargas, Argentinean Ismael Sosa and their Ecuadorian colleague Enner Valencia are cunning, athletic frontrunners who’d be welcomed into the starting lineups of just about every pro team on the continent.
Goalkeeper Nahuel Guzman is a quirky, combustible presence capable of winning matches himself on the rare occasions that his teammates do not. Mexican internationals like Javier Aquino, Hugo Ayala and Real Salt Lake (https://www.mlssoccer.com/meta/club/real-salt-lake) target Jesus Duenas are also key cogs on a roster bursting with elite talent. Even US international Jose Francisco “Gringo” Torres, rarely called upon in recent seasons, made an impact for Tigres, rising from the bench to assist on the final goal of their 3-1 win over Herediano on Tuesday.

https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2018/02/28/clash-champions-toronto-fc-duel-liga-mx-kings-tigres-ccl-quarters

Interesting fact ahead of the tie is that Chris Mavinga played with Tigres Timothee Kolodziejczak on French underage teams (U20 WC + U19 Euros)

Initial B
02-28-2018, 12:57 PM
I looked at the Heridaino-Tigres highlights and if Tigres puts out the lineup and play the way I watched on there, I think TFC can take them.

Fort York Redcoat
02-28-2018, 01:20 PM
If anyone comes across the day and time of both legs on the official club or concacaf sites can I get a post or a link? Thanks.

andyc
02-28-2018, 04:43 PM
It has 8pm Wednesday in the Account Manager. I know this isn't 100% but since you can print the tickets now it seems to be locked in...

If anyone comes across the day and time of both legs on the official club or concacaf sites can I get a post or a link? Thanks.

Cas87
02-28-2018, 05:02 PM
It is in Larson's article from this morning

"For the first time in a long time, the Reds won’t be the unanimous favourite to win at BMO Field next Wednesday night. They’ll be expected to lose at the iconic Estadio Universitario the following Tuesday."

Auzzy
02-28-2018, 09:34 PM
I just watched the extended highlights for both Tigres vs Herediano games. They're easy to find on YouTube: 9 to 10 minutes highlights per game.

I would love to hear the opinion of people who watch the Mexican league more often. I think Tigres will be tough for TFC. And if things are really tight, I believe Tigres can shift into another gear and really make things difficult for Toronto. HOWEVER I was thoroughly unimpressed after watching those extended highlights.

A couple of the Tigres goals were massive gifts by Herediano. A few of the other Tigres goals were OK but not really awe-inspiring. Also they seem to run a huge number of plays up the wings with crosses into the box. I don't think teams score many goals against TFC that way.

Tigres defense also had sleepy moments and let in some iffy goals.

It's hard to see in the highlights, but I think Tigres will press TFC high and hard, making it difficult to build up any plays. TFC didn't look great yesterday when Colorado were playing like that. They will need to rejig their midfield vs. Tigres. Also Vazquez's passing has been off a bit in the first two games; hopefully off-season cobwebs will have been swept out by next Wednesday.

If Toronto can convert, I think an upset is possible. They won't get many chances though.

reggie
02-28-2018, 10:58 PM
it will be nice to see 2 teams play futbol next week unlike last night where one team played rugby.

paul-collins
03-01-2018, 08:41 AM

<snip>

I'd give them another day to sort shit out.
Looks like we were right, the tickets were just incompletely configured in the Account Manager. All good now. (And, yes, Wednesday 8pm, to confirm the question asked about when the game is)

Gringo Starr
03-01-2018, 02:10 PM
tough to go by Tigres vs Herediano game results, Gignac wasn't even a sub for those

burlington Red
03-01-2018, 02:47 PM
enner valencia, wow there's a name from the past. Remember him playing for West Ham, didn't settle in the pl and they lost some decent money on him

Fort York Redcoat
03-01-2018, 04:11 PM
It is in Larson's article from this morning

Yeah Larson is wrong according to my sources from official but they changed their tune.

But thanks for offering the quote. Will be glad to get the real deal

Kaz
03-02-2018, 08:19 PM
Yeah Larson is wrong according to my sources from official but they changed their tune.

But thanks for offering the quote. Will be glad to get the real deal

Does the official site count?
https://www.concacafchampionsleague.com/en/schedule-results#tab_team=rounds
The MLS Site, Ticketmaster, TFC site, Wikipedia, Google.

Pretty much everything is saying the 7th.

Oldtimer
03-03-2018, 08:42 PM
Talking about the actual game, I think that TFC needs a minimum 2 goal lead heading into Mexico, maybe more. It won't do to tie this match, or even win 1-0.

Yohan
03-03-2018, 09:03 PM
Talking about the actual game, I think that TFC needs a minimum 2 goal lead heading into Mexico, maybe more. It won't do to tie this match, or even win 1-0.
3-0 or 4-1 win and then i'll be comfortable.

RedsYNWA
03-03-2018, 10:05 PM
3-0 or 4-1 win and then i'll be comfortable.

The books have us as slight dogs @ home..as much as I would love a 2 goal lead we could not score even 1 goal vs Colorado or Columbus at home.

The odds of us advancing into the semis IMO are 10% max

Auzzy
03-03-2018, 10:30 PM
I have no idea what lineup and personnel to recommend vs. Tigres, especially after the last two games. I hope that Vanney and Co. have been watching lots of tape and have something up their sleeves.

marquis
03-03-2018, 11:04 PM
I would go back to 1-3-5-2. Save for the final vs Seattle, I don't think we had much success with the diamond last year. If I remember correctly, we started the season with the diamond and really struggled until switched to 3-5-2.

Bono
VDW Moor Mavinga
Auro. Bradley. Morrow
Aketxe. Vazquez
Giovinco Altidore

MightyDM
03-04-2018, 01:30 AM
I would go back to 1-3-5-2. Save for the final vs Seattle, I don't think we had much success with the diamond last year. If I remember correctly, we started the season with the diamond and really struggled until switched to 3-5-2.

Bono
VDW Moor Mavinga
Auro. Bradley. Morrow
Aketxe. Vazquez
Giovinco Altidore

For me Van de Weil isn't ready and gets another chance against a weak team. Aketke and Vazquez unbalanced. Osori and Delgado deserve a spot by good play. So it's tricky. Zavs is a sub but haggling moor Mavinga isnt perfect either. We aren't balanced. Maybe hasler, actually

ensco
03-04-2018, 08:33 AM
I say this with absolute certainty. Same lineup as Saturday (ex Moor in for Zavaleta). That was the point. That is how Vanney rolls.

Patience. We tore Columbus apart in the second half, but for the last touch.

It's coming together.

OgtheDim
03-04-2018, 08:56 AM
I think Moore & Delgado come in - Osorio & Aketxe sit, & we go with a 3-5-2. Tigres has speed on the outside we havn't faced yet.

ensco
03-04-2018, 09:29 AM
^It’s possible Delgado comes in. That is a 50/50 call.

But that 30 meter knuckling screamer off the bar has me drooling, and must be on Vanney’s mind. I think Ager has elements to his game that make him the choice.

DinamoTFC
03-04-2018, 10:18 AM
I say this with absolute certainty. Same lineup as Saturday (ex Moor in for Zavaleta). That was the point. That is how Vanney rolls.

It's coming together.

Auro is also needed at right back. Vdw isn't ready yet. Auro on another level right now playing very well.

ensco
03-04-2018, 10:40 AM
Auro is also needed at right back. Vdw isn't ready yet. Auro on another level right now playing very well.

Nope. This isn’t close either. If Auro were playing Wednesday, he would have started yesterday.

He is a great prospect, but he is not used to the caliber of play we will see Wednesday.

(Auro wasn't that good yesterday, btw. Not bad, but nothing to be excited about.)

ensco
03-04-2018, 11:01 AM
I am excited for this, but it's important to be realistic about the likelihood of success in this tournament. We are likely to NOT do well in this.

Going into this year, MLS teams were 3-28 against Liga MX in CCL. Let's say that, we're the champions, we have this huge payroll, we deserve to be rated as twice as likely as the historical average to win, so maybe we are 20% like to win any series against any Mexican team.

The odds of us winning 3 series against Mexican teams, if we are 80/20 underdogs on average in each, is....

125/1

backbeat
03-04-2018, 11:02 AM

It's coming together.

I think this thought that we sucked on saturday it is way over blown

as well as the 2nd half we had a number of really top level touches in the first half in the final 3rd that just missed on execution

i am really excited about the possibilities with this group

Tigres is going to be a major challenge, but it will be fun and i do see us winning the shield and league this year

DinamoTFC
03-04-2018, 11:07 AM
Nope. This isn’t close either. If Auro were playing Wednesday, he would have started yesterday.

He is a great prospect, but he is not used to the caliber of play we will see Wednesday.

(Auro wasn't that good yesterday, btw. Not bad, but nothing to be excited about.)

And you think vdw was? Vdw wasn't great, he wasn't even good. Poor defensively and offered nothing attacking. It's his first game yes but he's clearly not ready. In the 3 games so far Auro has shown plenty of energy and movement to open up channels for other players.

At least 2 to 3 x i saw vazques yelling at vdw to move up and get open when he was looking for outlets. If we plan to play more defensive agains tigres then maybe vdw will play. But Auro has definitely done more so far.

Drew moor didn't start yesterday and he's also likely to start on Wed.

ensco
03-04-2018, 11:30 AM
And you think vdw was? Vdw wasn't great, he wasn't even good. Poor defensively and offered nothing attacking. It's his first game yes but he's clearly not ready. In the 3 games so far Auro has shown plenty of energy and movement to open up channels for other players.

At least 2 to 3 x i saw vazques yelling at vdw to move up and get open when he was looking for outlets. If we plan to play more defensive agains tigres then maybe vdw will play. But Auro has definitely done more so far.

Drew moor didn't start yesterday and he's also likely to start on Wed.

I agree with most everything you say. But vdW has been in dozens of games like this, Auro hasn't been in any. I think vdW goes for reasons that have zip to do with how he looked yesterday.

OgtheDim
03-04-2018, 11:44 AM
Going to make a comparison here and people will likely laugh but here goes.

Ashely Cole

First time he plays for LAG, he looks off the pace and offered nothing.

Now, he's their lockdown LB who opposing attacks actively avoid & he's their captain.

Give him a few games. His technical ability is superb & his athleticism is obvious.

shwade
03-04-2018, 12:40 PM
VdW won't start against Tigres...his match fitness isn't there.

portu
03-04-2018, 12:57 PM
I would love a 4-3-3

Bono; Morrow, Mavinga, Hagglund, VDW/Auro; Bradley, Vazquez, Delgado; Giovinco, Altidore, Aketxe

Ajax TFC
03-04-2018, 01:31 PM
Back in his Ajax days VdW sometimes faced criticism for lackluster play in Eredivisie matches. But he always stepped up huge in big games, especial CL games. He's mostly a big game player. He was brought in for this reason. You don't leave that player on the bench in one of the toughest games in club history, regardless of apparent (one game sample) form. Vanney knows this too. He didn't start VdW yesterday on a tryout basis, he started because he needs him for the CCL.

Ajax TFC
03-04-2018, 02:05 PM
^It’s possible Delgado comes in. That is a 50/50 call.

But that 30 meter knuckling screamer off the bar has me drooling, and must be on Vanney’s mind. I think Ager has elements to his game that make him the choice.
I think if Delgado comes in it's going to be for Osorio. Right now those two are competing for the same spot, and Delgado offers superior control of the midfield. Yesterday things didn't start working in the midfield until Delgado came on for Osorio. And as much as Aketxe didn't have the greatest debut, he clearly offers a lot of qualities that the other two simply don't. And Vazquez isn't leaving the lineup any time soon.

RedsMan
03-04-2018, 02:07 PM
I am excited for this, but it's important to be realistic about the likelihood of success in this tournament. We are likely to NOT do well in this.

Going into this year, MLS teams were 3-28 against Liga MX in CCL. Let's say that, we're the champions, we have this huge payroll, we deserve to be rated as twice as likely as the historical average to win, so maybe we are 20% like to win any series against any Mexican team.

The odds of us winning 3 series against Mexican teams, if we are 80/20 underdogs on average in each, is....

125/1
Agreed that some may not realize how low the likelihood of winning CCL is. I would hope that 80/20 is too severe, but even if each of the three remaining rounds is a 50-50 proposition, which seems pretty optimistic, the a priori odds before playing the first one are 7 to 1 against winning all three. As fairly slim 3:2 dogs in each round, it's about 15 to 1. I'm hoping for the best but not holding my breath.

Davenport
03-04-2018, 02:27 PM

It's coming together.

Suddenly we have no pace in the team and it's a big worry. Yesterday Columbus were far quicker and they did us easily. Tigres could really tear us apart.

RealG-TFC
03-04-2018, 03:12 PM
Suddenly we have no pace in the team and it's a big worry. Yesterday Columbus were far quicker and they did us easily. Tigres could really tear us apart.

Columbus didn't play on Wednesday night and their next game isn't until next Saturday. Meanwhile weare due to play arguably the most stacked team in North America in a competitive match in a few days. Playing up to their speed would have been poor team management.

MightyDM
03-04-2018, 06:44 PM
I think if Delgado comes in it's going to be for Osorio. Right now those two are competing for the same spot, and Delgado offers superior control of the midfield. Yesterday things didn't start working in the midfield until Delgado came on for Osorio. And as much as Aketxe didn't have the greatest debut, he clearly offers a lot of qualities that the other two simply don't. And Vazquez isn't leaving the lineup any time soon.

The players who have earned the spots by quality of play are Osorio and Delgado. They work well with Bradley.
And Vanney usually rewards that quality.

Right now Vasquez has not been his best, Van Der Weil is clearly not ready, and having Aketxe and Vasquez in the same lineup isn't balanced. It makes sense in that context for Vanney to do something like:

Hagglund Moor Mavinga
Auro Delgado Bradley Osorio Morrow
Altidore Giovinco

Vasquez is carrying a knock and has been nowhere near his best. He and Agar are too similar for balance and Agar himself was inconsistent and VdW way off the pace.

We can drool at the potential of Agar VdW etc but right now the best lineup doesn't include them. I am confident they will get up to speed. But they aren't there yet

Areathrasher
03-04-2018, 07:25 PM
Tigres are playing right now. Have pretty much a full strength side out against Veracruz.

notthesun
03-04-2018, 07:30 PM
The players who have earned the spots by quality of play are Osorio and Delgado. They work well with Bradley.
And Vanney usually rewards that quality.

Right now Vasquez has not been his best, Van Der Weil is clearly not ready, and having Aketxe and Vasquez in the same lineup isn't balanced. It makes sense in that context for Vanney to do something like:

Hagglund Moor Mavinga
Auro Delgado Bradley Osorio Morrow
Altidore Giovinco

Vasquez is carrying a knock and has been nowhere near his best. He and Agar are too similar for balance and Agar himself was inconsistent and VdW way off the pace.

We can drool at the potential of Agar VdW etc but right now the best lineup doesn't include them. I am confident they will get up to speed. But they aren't there yet

It sounded like Vazquez's injury wasn't very serious, I got the sense that if the game was more important or we didn't have a more important game coming up, he could've continued.

Given that realistically we need something like a 2-0 or 3-1 win to have a chance of advancing and therefore we need to be scoring multiple goals, I can't see Vazquez being pulled out of the lineup unless he really can't play.

MightyDM
03-04-2018, 07:46 PM
It sounded like Vazquez's injury wasn't very serious, I got the sense that if the game was more important or we didn't have a more important game coming up, he could've continued.

Given that realistically we need something like a 2-0 or 3-1 win to have a chance of advancing and therefore we need to be scoring multiple goals, I can't see Vazquez being pulled out of the lineup unless he really can't play.

You could be right. But he hasn't been himself. In that case, Osorio loses out, because they need Delgado for balance, which is very harsh. He has been head and shoulders above Vasquez so far this year.

DinamoTFC
03-04-2018, 08:15 PM
Going to make a comparison here and people will likely laugh but here goes.

Ashely Cole

First time he plays for LAG, he looks off the pace and offered nothing.

Now, he's their lockdown LB who opposing attacks actively avoid & he's their captain.

Give him a few games. His technical ability is superb & his athleticism is obvious.

For sure definitely waiting for this. Definitely not writing off vdw after 1 game. He will turn into himself soon enough.

Davenport
03-04-2018, 08:55 PM
Columbus didn't play on Wednesday night and their next game isn't until next Saturday. Meanwhile weare due to play arguably the most stacked team in North America in a competitive match in a few days. Playing up to their speed would have been poor team management.

So all the speed merchants we have decided not to run properly. Brilliant.

RealG-TFC
03-04-2018, 10:29 PM
So all the speed merchants we have decided not to run properly. Brilliant.

Interesting way to interpret that but we are about to play a much quicker and sharper team than Columbus. If it takes "not running properly" and taking a loss to have even an ounce of a chance against Tigres, I would take it 100 times.

DinamoTFC
03-04-2018, 11:51 PM
Tigres are playing right now. Have pretty much a full strength side out against Veracruz.

Valencia and gignac started while vargas replaced Valencia. Gignac also scored a header. Relatively easy game for tigres. Veracruz were very weak and barely created anything.

Tigres play club tijuana on Saturday. Lots of games for.them recently while little breaks. Hopefully this means resting some players for us on Wed.

Captain
03-05-2018, 10:24 AM
It wouldn't surprise me if Vanney marched out a 3-5-2 on Wednesday. He may have been playing a 4-4-2 so far this season so that we can throw Tigres off with a new formation similar to what he did with MLS Cup. Vanney's a tactition and knows that Wednesday's game result is the one that matters in this tie. I'm sure he has a reason for every player he put on the field against Colorado and the Crew.

Here's my line-up (Vasquez health would throw a monkey wrench is all this)

---------------------Bono--------------------
--------Hagglund---Moor---Mavinga--------
Auro----------------------------------Morrow
------------------Bradley--------------------
-----Osorio----------------Vasquez--------
--------Altidore----------Giovinco----------

ensco
03-05-2018, 11:13 AM
Monterrey today. High of 31. Overnight low of 16.

Auzzy
03-05-2018, 01:11 PM
Monterrey today. High of 31. Overnight low of 16.

Weather Network forecast for Wed. 8pm South Parkdale: +1, feels like -3, 70% chance of a rain/snow mix.

OgtheDim
03-05-2018, 01:36 PM
weather network forecast for wed. 8pm south parkdale: +1, feels like -3, 70% chance of a rain/snow mix.

BRING IT ON!!!!!

https://media.giphy.com/media/6Jgoyu5xFB5yE/giphy.gif

pfk
03-05-2018, 02:55 PM
FWIW from a Tigres fan posting in the TFC subreddit today about what to expect from his/her team:

'Definitely! Tigres, as well as Toronto, is the current champion in their league. Currently, we have only lost 2 out of 10 games this season, we are in a good state at the moment. I read on this thread that the cold could be a factor, it could be, but I can say that Tigres is used to playing in cold weather as well. You guys HAVE to win the first leg, Tigres has not lost a game at home since April of last year (23 official games) so it can get difficult if it's decided until the end. Their form of play is possession of the ball, they like to keep possession and pass the ball back and forth patiently, they do this to create spaces and attack with speed either from Sosa, Valencia, Aquino or even Damm. I think if Toronto is not careful with tightening spaces and matching the speed, they can get into trouble. Personally, I do not know how fast the MLS is played but I have seen Giovinco and Altidore play. I think Giovinco can be a headache to our defense. I hope it can be as exciting as I imagine, I'd say TFC is my MLS team (sad to see Cheyrou retire.) The good news for TFC is that we lost a fundamental player due to an injury, so our attack won't be as strong through the right side. I think the score will be 2(Sosa, Valencia)-1(Giovinco), if Gignac doesn't play.'

gmacpheetfc
03-05-2018, 03:19 PM
Tigres played their home leg of the apertura final in hail and snow last year; weather will not be an issue.

Tigres' goalie is arguably the weakest point in the team like most Liga MX sides; Giovinco should be a lock to score one free kick.

When Tigres break the defensive midfield line they attack with multiple runners going forward; Balls over the top will be need to be defended well.

Intangibles; Tigres and their fans want the CCL more than anything. Losses in three continental finals in a row in devastating fashion (2015 copa Libertadores, 2016 CCL & 2017 CCL).
Going out to a MLS side at the QF stage would garner an arsenal fan tv level reaction.

Areathrasher
03-05-2018, 04:43 PM
Well, they aren't leaving Gignac at home

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DXjZ2QTVQAAwVsB.jpg

GBV
03-05-2018, 05:37 PM
Betting line from Pinnacle ...

Toronto +132
Tigres +241
Draw +222

Defoe
03-05-2018, 07:13 PM
It wouldn't surprise me if Vanney marched out a 3-5-2 on Wednesday. He may have been playing a 4-4-2 so far this season so that we can throw Tigres off with a new formation similar to what he did with MLS Cup. Vanney's a tactition and knows that Wednesday's game result is the one that matters in this tie. I'm sure he has a reason for every player he put on the field against Colorado and the Crew.

Here's my line-up (Vasquez health would throw a monkey wrench is all this)

-----Osorio----------------Vasquez--------

I like this but I think Akexte or Delgado are better options to Oso. Delgado provides more defensive help for Bradley then Osorio and Aketxe provides better offence. I'm more conflicted between Delgado vs Aketxe in my mind depending on if we should go defensive or offensive.

-----Delgado----------------Vasquez--------

Defoe
03-05-2018, 07:14 PM
The 4-3-3 isn't a terrible idea either though. It's a big risk though. It really is a disadvantage playing this tournament so early on in the season. It's not a limiting belief it's just a fact

Aketke-Giovinco-Altidore
Delgado-Bradley-Vazquez
Morrow-Mavinga-Moor-Auro

molenshtain
03-05-2018, 09:37 PM
The final not withstanding, we've been mostly shit since switching back to the diamond. Our pieces just fit so much better with the 3-5-2. Let's hope we go back to it for this one.

Defoe
03-05-2018, 10:34 PM
Basically, these are our top 9 players, but we can only play 7 of them, or 6 of them if you play Osorio in a 3-5-2.

Giovinco
Altidore
Vazquez
Bradley
Aketxe
Delgado
Morrow
Auro
Van Der Weil
-----Delgado----------------Vazquez--------

The only way you can get them all in the starting 11 is if you have Morrow and VDW in the back 3.

FootBallAZ
03-05-2018, 10:47 PM
Was able to watch tigres play vera cruz in vera cruz online.
The line up they used is posted below. They pulled Valencia around 63rd minute and #8 Zalarayan shortly after.

Valencia is scary playing in the right side. He consistently creats havoc. Their first goal less than 15 mins was a throw in around 22 yards out, was thrown down the right side in the box in open space, Valencia managed to get their first touch still made it passed the defenders deflection, to the middle open net as the goalie challenged the ball.

Their second goal was off a corner, first ill say the corner was created by a free kick taken by Valencia May be 26-28 yards out forcing the keeper to push it over the bar.

The second goal, the cross was decent but off the mark , gigniac, curled away from the goal near post tracked the ball and absolutely destroyed the ball with a header top right corner.

Second half, the first 8 minutes the tigers stayed back. Their speed is scary I only see mavinga, and maybe morrow keeping up. Possible #9(last game he went from opponents 18 yard back down to our 18 yard before any one else ) hopefully he can keep up.

I noticed they attacked right up the seem, between the goal posts. They also had a beautiful thru ball down the right wing which created a opportunity.

Their counter attack they push 3 to 4 up very quickly. I'm excited as I believe they will at least play Valencia and #8 Zalarayan who also is an impact player.

Lastly Gignac lost his temper in the second half didn't get a call his way walked up the referee fully told him off , got a yellow.

Based on vanneys presser seems like he wanted to get #8 and # 9 together , which maybe indicates he wants both to play together this wed.

FootBallAZ
03-05-2018, 10:55 PM
4-4-2 formation

-----------------Gignac ----- Valencia --------------------

Zalarayan -------------------------------------Sosa

------------------Carioca -------Duenas----------------------

Torres-Nilo --------------------------------Estrada

------------------ Juninho------Ayala------------------------

------------------ Guzman--------------------------------

Defoe
03-05-2018, 11:07 PM
-------Van Der Weil---Moor---Mavinga--------
-----Delgado----------------Vazquez--------

I wonder if this would work. It gets 8 out of our top 9 players in the lineup, in a formation we have had success with in the past. Delgado/Aketxe interchangeable depending on if you want a balance or an aggressive attack. Regardless i'm putting our best players up against there's any day of the week.

-

Tigers one distinct advantage is that there CB's are better then ours and they have some unity together, based on the fact they have more game time experience this season. I'm not buying for a second there best players would outclass ours though.

molenshtain
03-05-2018, 11:12 PM
Van Der Weil has never played CB and his traits don't fit the role.

You can't play anyone but Delgado beside Bradley and Vazquez in the 3-5-2. No one else provides enough defense and work effort that makes the midfield click. Osorio is too light weight and doesn't provide the lateral movement Delgado does - same goes for Akexte but to an even greater extent.

I don't know why Vanney refuses to play our best lineup in big games. It's very odd. For us to have a shot I think he really needs to go to what works best for us.

MightyDM
03-06-2018, 02:35 AM
I like this but I think Akexte or Delgado are better options to Oso. Delgado provides more defensive help for Bradley then Osorio and Aketxe provides better offence. I'm more conflicted between Delgado vs Aketxe in my mind depending on if we should go defensive or offensive.

-----Delgado----------------Vasquez--------

Osorio has been our best midfielder so far this season. Better than Delgado, better than Aketxe, better than Vasquez (who has been very poor) and better even than Bradley. Vanney cannot sit him. What message does that send to other players?

molenshtain
03-06-2018, 03:56 AM
Vanney can and should sit him. The message would be "the team with the best shot of winning plays". If Osorio wants a locked down starting role beside Vazquez and Bradley, he has to be A) more versatile. Delgado led the team in Defensive actions per game last season. If Oso wants a starting spot he has to prove he can at least do 2/3 of the job Delgado can. He also has to B) prove he can be more direct with his off the ball movement/passing. Every single time Vanney played Oso instead of Delgado last season we had to take him off because he stalled the midfield and didn't provide enough penetration.

I'm very happy with Osorio's form to start the season. I love him and wish the best for his career here and beyond. But until he can at all perform in a midfield without three other CM's doing the job he should be able to do he cannot be a lock to start.

James17930
03-06-2018, 03:59 AM
I'm intrigued by the 4-4-3 idea ..

ensco
03-06-2018, 07:18 AM
TFC will have a good book on Gignac as Cheyrou played behind him for years ar Marseille.

The only guy I can think of with a TFC connection to West Ham while Valencia was there is Doneil Henry!

Areathrasher
03-06-2018, 08:29 AM
So Tigres player and Mexican international Jurgen Damm lived in Toronto as a kid. Didnt know that.

wynne
03-06-2018, 08:45 AM
They’ll be without Estrada Wednesday. Guess that’s some good news

ag futbol
03-06-2018, 08:57 AM
In no way has Delgado played better than osorio at any point this season. Osorio is generally providing what he offers + more. Delgado sits, the end.

molenshtain
03-06-2018, 09:14 AM
1) "at any point this season"? we've played three games. Delgado didn't even play one of those three games. I'll take all of the last two years as a much greater body of evidence, thank you.
2) Osorio does not at all provide what Delgado does. He may do the "more" bit you speak of, but that generally amounts to clever link up play deep in midfield and shuffling the ball to the closest guy to him. Thankfully for Oso that skill set works quite well in the diamond as all three other players are there to make up for what he lacks and he can quietly play the shuttlers role beside them. This season that might include improved off the ball movement but still, it's not a ton.
3) he emphatically cannot play in the 3-5-2, as I was suggesting we really should, if the other two CM's are Bradley and Vazquez. were we to play the diamond I'd say sure, Oso's the guy. But we really shouldn't and that's what my post was in reference too.

Yohan
03-06-2018, 09:18 AM
1) "at any point this season"? we've played three games. Delgado didn't even play one of those three games. I'll take all of the last two years as a much greater body of evidence, thank you.
2) Osorio does not at all provide what Delgado does. He may do the "more" bit you speak of, but that generally amounts to clever link up play deep in midfield and shuffling the ball to the closest guy to him. Thankfully for Oso that skill set works quite well in the diamond as all three other players are there to make up for what he lacks and he can quietly play the shuttlers role beside them. This season that might include improved off the ball movement but still, it's not a ton.
3) he emphatically cannot play in the 3-5-2, as I was suggesting we really should, if the other two CM's are Bradley and Vazquez. were we to play the diamond I'd say sure, Oso's the guy. But we really shouldn't and that's what my post was in reference too.
Uh, Delgado has started in both games vs Rapids and subbed on for Columbus game

molenshtain
03-06-2018, 09:20 AM
Uh, Delgado has started in both games vs Rapids and subbed on for Columbus game

eh, had to watch the Columbus game on TV and checked out after a dismal 60 minutes. Must have missed it. Still, not really a platform to showcase his ability or form.

TheGoodson
03-06-2018, 09:23 AM
At the end of the day, there will be no new formations or trying to shoe horn players into positions they don't normally play. That would be suicide against a quality opponent like Tigres...

I'm hoping for a 3-5-2 versus the 4-4-2 diamond as it provides more cover defensively as we have been caught out through the middle in I think every game.

ScarboroughRed
03-06-2018, 09:25 AM
If we do go with the 5 man midfield, I'm all for Delgado IMO.

We need a midfield "8" besides Bradley to help with the defense and move the ball into the offensive players. Delgado is a much better 8 than Osorio (In that role, not overall)

In the biggest game, we need players that fit the role more so that the most talented. Which means Osorio and Aketxe (If Vazquez is healthy) will have to start on the bench.

Areathrasher
03-06-2018, 09:27 AM
Speaking of Delgado

Toronto FC’s Marky Delgado ready to test himself against Liga MX teams he grew up watching

https://www.prosoccerusa.com/toronto-fc/toronto-fc-marky-delgado-tigres/

Hamilton_Red
03-06-2018, 10:02 AM
Vanney can and should sit him. The message would be "the team with the best shot of winning plays". If Osorio wants a locked down starting role beside Vazquez and Bradley, he has to be A) more versatile. Delgado led the team in Defensive actions per game last season. If Oso wants a starting spot he has to prove he can at least do 2/3 of the job Delgado can. He also has to B) prove he can be more direct with his off the ball movement/passing. Every single time Vanney played Oso instead of Delgado last season we had to take him off because he stalled the midfield and didn't provide enough penetration.

I'm very happy with Osorio's form to start the season. I love him and wish the best for his career here and beyond. But until he can at all perform in a midfield without three other CM's doing the job he should be able to do he cannot be a lock to start.

i suspect that Osorio and Delgado were both playing the roles that Vanney was asking them to play. Delgado more defensively minded and Osorio more creative and penetrating. It will come down to the tactics that Vanney is looking to play. Both can and likely will play a role. My concern is that in my order to win this tie the team has put themselves in a position to be able to park the bus in Monterrey. Then make that parked buss effective. Do we have the ability to park the bus at the level needed? Questionable.

paul-collins
03-06-2018, 10:20 AM
Osorio has been our best midfielder so far this season. Better than Delgado, better than Aketxe, better than Vasquez (who has been very poor) and better even than Bradley. Vanney cannot sit him. What message does that send to other players?

This game isn't being played last season.

I'm with MightyDM. Oso has earned it on current form. The naysayers are out in force on this one.

Canary10
03-06-2018, 10:25 AM
I would play both Oso and Delgado and start Aketxe on the bench, assuming VV is good to go.

DinamoTFC
03-06-2018, 10:28 AM
Speaking of Delgado

https://www.prosoccerusa.com/toronto-fc/toronto-fc-marky-delgado-tigres/

Just read this too. Familiarity and form and team chemistry will be very important tomorrow. I see Delgado starting. He will be very much up for it. Aketxe can come on in last 25 mins as he did against Colorado to provide a much needed spark.

If gignac starts I could see us playing a 3 man back with both mavinga and hagglund in there with haggglund's main responsibility to neutralize gignac aerial strength.

molenshtain
03-06-2018, 10:31 AM
This game isn't being played last season.

I'm with MightyDM. Oso has earned it on current form. The naysayers are out in force on this one.

If we're discounting previous evidence we should go ahead and bench Altidore and Vazquez for this one too, they've not been great. Mavinga had a howler last game too. Guess he's gotta sit. Last season he was IMO the best CB in the league but you're right, this game isn't being played last season.

Osorio might be playing really well, I'm not denying that at all! My point, which I've made repeatedly now, is that Osorio's skill set does not translate well to the 3-5-2, which we should 100% be playing for this game. I don't know why this is so difficult for some people.

This game is not about putting your 11 most talented guys on the field. It's about putting out a lineup that fits best together, provides enough balance, and complements the best traits of your best players. There is so much evidence for this. I don't know how you can be even a casual watcher of the game on not understand that.

Jack
03-06-2018, 10:35 AM
If we're discounting previous evidence we should go ahead and bench Altidore and Vazquez for this one too, they've not been great. Mavinga had a howler last game too. Guess he's gotta sit. Last season he was IMO the best CB in the league but you're right, this game isn't being played last season.

Osorio might be playing really well, I'm not denying that at all! My point, which I've made repeatedly now, is that Osorio's skill set does not translate well to the 3-5-2, which we should 100% be playing for this game. I don't know why this is so difficult for some people.

This game is not about putting your 11 most talented guys on the field. It's about putting out a lineup that fits best together, provides enough balance, and complements the best traits of your best players. There is so much evidence for this. I don't know how you can be even a casual watcher of the game on not understand that.

We can have a discussion about the merits of the lineup and which players are playing well, but we don't have to get personal with ad hominem. Keep it about the lineup.

paul-collins
03-06-2018, 10:35 AM

This is a pretty inflammatory post. You can go jump in a lake. I understand the game just fine thank you.

Also, your point about 3-5-2 was not made *at all* in the post I quoted. You simply ran Osorio down.

molenshtain
03-06-2018, 10:37 AM
This is a pretty inflammatory post. You can go jump in a lake. I understand the game just fine thank you.

Also, your point about 3-5-2 was not made *at all* in the post I quoted. You simply ran Osorio down.

ah, I apologise. I've had a long morning. I really didn't mean to insult you or inference anything.

again, my bad.

OgtheDim
03-06-2018, 10:42 AM
Sooooooo.....

Rain snow mix all day.

Winds out of the East.

If you are in the West stand, bring your towels - dry off your seat and your face during the game.

Jack
03-06-2018, 10:42 AM
Just read this too. Familiarity and form and team chemistry will be very important tomorrow. I see Delgado starting. He will be very much up for it. Aketxe can come on in last 25 mins as he did against Colorado to provide a much needed spark.

If gignac starts I could see us playing a 3 man back with both mavinga and hagglund in there with haggglund's main responsibility to neutralize gignac aerial strength.
This makes sense to me. We need to have a sturdy midfield and backline because they'll be running at us and gunning hard. Three at the back makes sense to me, with Bradley in front and two wide players to help deal with their speedsters. It will be interesting to see what Vanney puts out there.

paul-collins
03-06-2018, 10:47 AM
ah, I apologise. I've had a long morning. I really didn't mean to insult you or inference anything.

again, my bad.
Fair enough.

My take is that 3-5-2 based on the field conditions (weak root base and divots which slows the runners' acceleration) is the correct way to go for the team's current form. I think 3 in back is probably required.

But I'm wavering based on the discussion of the Tigres game vs Vera Cruz being played down the seam - makes me want to do the diamond and clog up the middle, and give up the flanks.

I've never been a big Delgado fan but he won me over in the 2nd half of last year - but Osorio from about the Conference Finals on has really impressed me, moreso than Delgado.

I do agree that the formation dictates the choice, and that with Auro/vdV and Hagglund on our right side you'd want Delgado in the 3-5-2 to free up Auro/vdV on attack.

With a 4-4-2 (diamond) I'd drop Hagglund and keep Moor, and then I'd put in Osorio and keep the RB in a more defensive posture.

YMMV

Captain
03-06-2018, 10:52 AM
Has there been any further word on Vasquez? Last I heard he was day to day. I'm not sure how we get through this round without Vasquez at 100%. Plus he's got something to prove against Liga MX.

RealG-TFC
03-06-2018, 12:06 PM
Press Conference at 12:15

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ajd-lT_UiGk

Red CB Toronto
03-06-2018, 12:25 PM

Cheers, looking forward to watching, just tuned in via Apple TV.

TFC Tifoso
03-06-2018, 12:39 PM
Has there been any further word on Vasquez? Last I heard he was day to day. I'm not sure how we get through this round without Vasquez at 100%. Plus he's got something to prove against Liga MX.

Read from Larson on Sunday citing "team sources" that Vasquez was "closer to probable than questionable" to play tomorrow....haven't heard anything since.....

ryan
03-06-2018, 12:53 PM
Read from Larson on Sunday citing "team sources" that Vasquez was "closer to probable than questionable" to play tomorrow....haven't heard anything since.....

He will play even if not 100%, he surely wants to perform against all Liga MX sides.

Yohan
03-06-2018, 01:02 PM

just started now

Red CB Toronto
03-06-2018, 01:04 PM
Victor trained today so looks good for selection tomorrow, we shall see.

flatpicker
03-06-2018, 01:15 PM
I don't know why, but I was convinced this game was tonight.
And then I'm watching the press conference and Vanney mentions the game tomorrow.
I would have felt pretty stupid arriving at BMO all alone in the cold.

Auzzy
03-06-2018, 01:23 PM
Osorio in the press conference with Vanney. Could be a sign of who's playing & starting tomorrow. (Or could be a way to confuse Tigres.)

Remember that in the CCL game Tigres vs. Herediano, Tigres was pumping in crosses like crazy. Wasn't too effective, and I think it would be even less so vs. TFC. But apparently they don't always play up the middle, and you also have to be able to protect the flanks vs. them.

ryan
03-06-2018, 01:44 PM
Osorio in the press conference with Vanney. Could be a sign of who's playing & starting tomorrow. (Or could be a way to confuse Tigres.)

Remember that in the CCL game Tigres vs. Herediano, Tigres was pumping in crosses like crazy. Wasn't too effective, and I think it would be even less so vs. TFC. But apparently they don't always play up the middle, and you also have to be able to protect the flanks vs. them.

Continental Tournament + Canadian Representation = Our only starting Canadian on the podium.

I think the size in our CB's should do well enough to deal with their crossing into the box. I think Jozy is our key to this up front, his size should be a weapon. Their entire back 4 is under 6ft, not exactly young at CB either.

MightyDM
03-06-2018, 02:56 PM

Vanney rewards form and Osorio has been our best and most effective midfielder this season. He plays. But so should Delgado, for a different reason: balance. That leaves the new guys out

portu
03-06-2018, 03:03 PM
Vanney rewards form and Osorio has been our best and most effective midfielder this season. He plays. But so should Delgado, for a different reason: balance. That leaves the new guys out
I feel like we can debate this for days but Vanney has been relatively clear with how he'd like to play it'll be a 4-4-2 diamond. Aketxe and VDW will play. Either Oso or Delgado will start next to Aketxe at the 8.

TheSloanRanger
03-06-2018, 04:09 PM
In Vanney we trust

But I still like playing manager
Gio altidore
Ager Vazquez oso
Bradley auro
Morrow hagglund mavinga
Bono

Ajax TFC
03-06-2018, 05:05 PM
imo the midfield was significantly more effective once Delgado came in for Osorio on Saturday. Delgado is a bit of a metronome in midfield. Not flashy, but is constantly making himself an outlet and redistributing the ball when in posession and pressing effectively to help get the ball back when not. IMO Delgado is a lock in the starting XI until someone proves they can do that and more. On the current roster, the only players I see that could potentially do that are Aketxe (less likely) and Auro (more likely). Osorio will have his spot at left mid in a diamond, but there really isn't a place for him in a 3-5-2

Red CB Toronto
03-06-2018, 05:07 PM
Look like it be transitioning from rain to snow with a dropping temperature during the game, should make things interesting.

ensco
03-06-2018, 07:10 PM
Ager has to be in there

I've been thinking about that strike of his, off the crossbar. That is just not a skillset you see in MLS. The threat of it can create havoc defensively. The fact of it can of course win games all on its own.

vdW was on the pitch for this one. Uruguay never recovered from this hit
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=fFczbFGmfh0

I don't know which of Oso or Marky should sit, but one of them has to. This guy has to play.

Defoe
03-06-2018, 07:43 PM
yet we have 0 goals in our last 2 games. No one's safe.

FootBallAZ
03-06-2018, 08:35 PM
I feel like we can debate this for days but Vanney has been relatively clear with how he'd like to play it'll be a 4-4-2 diamond. Aketxe and VDW will play. Either Oso or Delgado will start next to Aketxe at the 8.

+++1

Hamilton_Red
03-07-2018, 12:12 AM
I expect Tigres to shut up shop tomorrow and see how TFC looks. 0-0 at the half...they will look for a counterattack and and away goal in the second. If we don’t come out strong and get some early goals it’s not going ro be much fun.

MightyDM
03-07-2018, 12:21 AM

Neither of those players has earned minutes. VDW in particular is way off the pace and has no business playing in a knockout game.

On the other hand, Osorio has been our best midfield over three games and Marky is required for balance.

Pretty simple.

MightyDM
03-07-2018, 12:22 AM
Ager has to be in there

I've been thinking about that strike of his, off the crossbar. That is just not a skillset you see in MLS. The threat of it can create havoc defensively. The fact of it can of course win games all on its own.

vdW was on the pitch for this one. Uruguay never recovered from this hit
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=fFczbFGmfh0

I don't know which of Oso or Marky should sit, but one of them has to. This guy has to play.

unfortunately, the player that scored that goal is not on our team. so Marky and Oso start.

Blindside16
03-07-2018, 01:41 AM
The way I see it, we need to score 1, more likely 2 and HAVE TO hold a clean sheet. If we give up an away goal, it will make next Tuesday in Monterrey even more difficult. I wonder what the word is on Vazquez?? We need his service in this game. If he is not fit, I would assume Aketxe moves into that spot and Auro comes on.

Oldtimer
03-07-2018, 06:51 AM
The way I see it, we need to score 1, more likely 2 and HAVE TO hold a clean sheet. If we give up an away goal, it will make next Tuesday in Monterrey even more difficult. I wonder what the word is on Vazquez?? We need his service in this game. If he is not fit, I would assume Aketxe moves into that spot and Auro comes on.

Pretty much my view too that we need TFC to score 2 minimum and keep it at zero to have a chance. If Tigres nick an away goal we need 4.

Odds are low, just the way we like it.

Derko
03-07-2018, 06:53 AM
unfortunately, the player that scored that goal is not on our team. so Marky and Oso start.

The answer as you put it is simple, our goal scorers have to score, neither Oso nor Delgado are what I would call prolific goal scorers, Oso will start, Delgado will be on the bench.
Yes Oso scored a goal against Colorado and has played tremendously in his past few matches and deserves a start, but I like you are not getting paid to make those decisions, so we shall see what Vanney decides. Pretty simple eh, lol

OgtheDim
03-07-2018, 07:03 AM
GAME DAY!!! :scarf:

Its going to be cold, wet, dark & dank.

There are going to be Mexican fans among us.

The team we are playing is the best quality seen in a competitive game at BMO ever. They are motivated & not taking us lightly.

We are likely to face the best player in all of CONCACAF.

And yet.....

Its my team.

My town.

My stadium

My weather.

Surrounded by my fellow supporters.

Would I rather be a Columbus or NYC fan tonight with a win in the bank but not playing this game? HELL NO

This is what we wanted after Johnson scored that goal.

This is what we yelled for after Seba scored that other goal.

Will this be another night of glory? Who knows. But its what we all wanted - another night of CCL hope, fear, anger, worry, & enjoyment at watching the best team in MLS vs. the best team in Liga Mx.

Snow?

BRING IT ON

Mexican fans among us

BRING IT ON

The best team in Liga Mx bringing all their top guns

BRING IT ON

Gignac

BRING IT ON

THIS IS OUR HOUSE

:flare::drum::canada::drinking::pbjtime::scarf:

Joe Kool
03-07-2018, 07:47 AM
Maybe the starting lineup from last Saturday could be our starting lineup for other MLS games so they can gel but I really hope we go back to mainly the starting lineup of the first Colorado game for this one. Auro was more effective that VDW as RB. VDW last Saturday had no interest in overlapping runs and several times Vasquez was looking for him but he stood still so Vazquez had to find another option and it killed our momentum and opportunities a number of times. The first goal was due to some laziness from VDW because he didn't chase the ball all the way out of the field but Columbus did and got rewarded. Aketxe still looks uncomfortable in his role so not sure if he should be starting but maybe he will play in place of Vazquez if he is not good to go the full 90. Zavaleta didn't have a good game and we need Moor there. Hagglund over Zavaleta for me if needed. Mavinga can stay, we will need his speed. Hope these guys pull out a decent showing. I know they can do it, just need to see if they will do it. Go Reds!!!

Oh and one other thing...Seba seems obsessive about assisting Jozy instead of taking shots...or is it just me? He needs to take more shots himself. One too many passes several times.

Red CB Toronto
03-07-2018, 08:10 AM
Pretty much my view too that we need TFC to score 2 minimum and keep it at zero to have a chance. If Tigres nick an away goal we need 4.

Odds are low, just the way we like it.

Yep, no excuses now after the Red Bulls knocked off the Xolos 2–0 last night at home. Seba needs to replicate BWP’s performance, which if he does will be huge. New York has shown it can be done. It’s all about taking care of business, simple as that.

Fort York Redcoat
03-07-2018, 08:30 AM
So Tigres has never felt so close to winning this tourney. They will want to go all the way. They won the league last year but they did so in 2011 as well and faced Seattle who kicked them out. They won't be taking us lightly.

This is the best chance. Starting at home will carry us in the away IMO. I don't expect a clean sheet but would love one. I expect goals. We need goals today.

Fort York Redcoat
03-07-2018, 09:39 AM
/L7Ws7h4SiLA

Midweek CONCACAF nights vs a Mexico club.

Saric and Mista. Legends

Areathrasher
03-07-2018, 10:16 AM
So Tigres has never felt so close to winning this tourney. They will want to go all the way. They won the league last year but they did so in 2011 as well and faced Seattle who kicked them out. They won't be taking us lightly.

This is the best chance. Starting at home will carry us in the away IMO. I don't expect a clean sheet but would love one. I expect goals. We need goals today.

What do you mean? Tigres have been in the last two CCL finals, losing both.

gmacpheetfc
03-07-2018, 10:21 AM

I think its just a reference to how badly they want it.

Canary10
03-07-2018, 11:23 AM
I really want to win, but I'm also just excited to see a team of this quality at BMO. Let's face it, over the 2017 season we've watched some really bad soccer teams at BMO. Teams that, compared to us, looked like a Championship team against an upper Premier League team - Houston, San Jose, Philadelphia, Seattle come to mind. Getting to see us against this quality is exciting.

currystain37
03-07-2018, 01:41 PM
It has started to snow right beside the lake here in Etobicoke. I am so excited for this game today!!!

Fort York Redcoat
03-07-2018, 02:10 PM

I think its just a reference to how badly they want it.

Yeppers.

PawTar711
03-07-2018, 02:24 PM
We need to win this game badly, I wouldn't mind facing FC Dallas in the next stage, and getting back on track, in the regular season.

azorean
03-07-2018, 02:33 PM
IF we had only played that Tijuana side from Yesterday, WOW, Confident TFC would of definitely won/passed through rather easily too ! that was surprising. I'm still confident though, TFC will win today! the return leg, not so sure about. Just hoping. Can you imagine TFC in the World Club championship? That is really the BIG DEAL. Going up against Libertadores, CL winners, That would be something else! Ok, I'm fantasizing here. No Doubt, We have gradually gotten bigger as a club, exposure, media, signings, etc...BUT to win this, hahaha, that would cement the idea that WE HAD ARRIVED . If not Toronto though, definitely hoping another MLS side pulls it off.

azorean
03-07-2018, 02:34 PM
We need to win this game badly, I wouldn't mind facing FC Dallas in the next stage, and getting back on track, in the regular season.

Dallas is out, lost to lowly Tauro, who got shellacked yesterday.

azorean
03-07-2018, 02:43 PM
Does anyone know the monetary bonuses paid for winning these games at this stage of the tournament? reason I'm asking is someone a few weeks back posted this information on reddit and I could not believe the amounts per player that were posted. I thought to myself that it had to be a mistake. I mean, the bonuses were exorbitant in relation to the average MLS salary, in some cases it was , If I remember, more per player for a semi final win then a MLS players minimum salary, that cant be right, can it? If it is, WOW, what an added incentive for some of these players.

ManUtd4ever
03-07-2018, 02:43 PM
We realistically need a clean sheet and a lead heading into the second leg to have any chance. This will likely be the most difficult challenge this group has had to face.

TFC1154ever
03-07-2018, 03:10 PM
I don’t think we will get a clean sheet. Me being honest with myself, and the way we have looked defensively this year. But that doesn’t mean we can’t win this game.

TFC Tifoso
03-07-2018, 03:11 PM
I'd say a clean sheet tonight is less important.....any 2 goal win would make me a mighty happy man.....anything less would be tough to overcome in Mexico.....

nxtmike
03-07-2018, 03:18 PM
Pregame still at Shoeless for tonight?

azorean
03-07-2018, 03:19 PM
I'd say a clean sheet tonight is less important.....any 2 goal win would make me a mighty happy man.....anything less would be tough to overcome in Mexico.....

THIS ! ...Tijuana is NOT Tigres, BUT after last night I get the impression the intimidation thing playing on road, in Mexico, for MLS teams might be waning, we had preseason there too, faced Mexican competition, I think we can score on road, Herediano scored 2 last round on road vs Tigres, key is going in with an advantage, and a 2 goal lead would be good even if we conceded tonight.

TFC07
03-07-2018, 03:34 PM
To be honest, i have no idea what to except tonight from this game. I just hope TFC show more fight/passion tonight. Tigres probably going to play their "A" team and try to finish TFC off tonight.

azorean
03-07-2018, 03:44 PM
To be honest, i have no idea what to except tonight from this game. I just hope TFC show more fight/passion tonight. Tigres probably going to play their "A" team and try to finish TFC off tonight.

More passion / fight should be a given, after all, players and management have been talking this tournament up for the longest time now. Anything less then LEAVING EVERYTHING OUT THERE would be very disappointing as a fan. Not concerned so much about this. Just hoping we play well, to our potential, not even concerned about the weekend game, we had a new lineup, it was a classic lookahead spot. Motivation, passion, fight, whatever, should be least of our concerns I think, THEY BETTER BRING IT.

Bobo
03-07-2018, 03:44 PM
Read on Twitter that Tigres is missing both starting fullbacks? If that's the case I'd go 3-5-2 and pressure the backups. Whatever system Vanney uses, I want Delgado in the side until the other, more technical, midfielders prove they can maintain balance in the midfield.

Almost forgot the feeling of going to BMO not expecting a result. Plenty of reason for hope, though.

nonc
03-07-2018, 04:33 PM
Read on Twitter that Tigres is missing both starting fullbacks? If that's the case I'd go 3-5-2 and pressure the backups. Whatever system Vanney uses, I want Delgado in the side until the other, more technical, midfielders prove they can maintain balance in the midfield.

Almost forgot the feeling of going to BMO not expecting a result. Plenty of reason for hope, though.

Yes I believe Tigres are actually with their 3rd choice RB due to injury.

Bellzy
03-07-2018, 07:01 PM
In the Dominican. Any streams I can access? (Not entirely sure if the hotel here airs Deportes Univision and my Rogers account cannot be accessed...)

PizzaEatingYeti
03-07-2018, 07:14 PM
In the Dominican. Any streams I can access? (Not entirely sure if the hotel here airs Deportes Univision and my Rogers account cannot be accessed...)

http://goatdee.net/245860/watch-toronto-fc-vs-tigres-uanl
http://firstrowonly.eu/watch/632201/1/watch-toronto-fc-vs-tigres-uanl-.html
http://livetv.sx/enx/eventinfo/636893_toronto_tigres/
http://myfeed2all.eu/watch/632201/1/watch-toronto-fc-vs-tigres-uanl-.html
http://www.vipbox.live/football/556437/1/toronto-fc-vs-u.a.n.l.--tigres-live-stream-online.html
http://nowwatchtvlive.net/tsn-2-live-stream-watch-tsn-2-channel-online/
http://sports4u.info/channels/tsn-2-live-streaming-free/
http://cricfree.sc/tsn-2-live-stream-
http://www.streamendous.com/sportsch.php?tsn

notthesun
03-07-2018, 07:16 PM
Starting XI: https://twitter.com/torontofc/status/971535980841889792

3-5-2 with Osorio and Delgado, Vazquez and Aketxe on the bench.

Vargas and Valencia are starting for Tigres but Gignac is not.

PawTar711
03-07-2018, 07:18 PM
We need to win!!!!!!!

Bellzy
03-07-2018, 07:21 PM
Thanks man! Life-saver

PizzaEatingYeti
03-07-2018, 07:21 PM
Starting XI: https://twitter.com/torontofc/status/971535980841889792

3-5-2 with Osorio and Delgado, Vazquez and Aketxe on the bench.

Vargas and Valencia are starting for Tigres but Gignac is not.

At first glance that's an ultra defensive formation.
We have next to nobody to create in the midfield.
Seems like Vanney's main goal here is to not get scored on...

PizzaEatingYeti
03-07-2018, 07:22 PM
Thanks man! Life-saver

No problem..
I hope at least 1 of those streams will work decently, not freezing/buffering every once in a while...

notthesun
03-07-2018, 07:24 PM

I bet he would have liked to play Aketxe but it's a big ask of him in this kind of game when he still hasn't really settled into the team. And while realistically we do need to win this by probably a couple goals at least to have a good chance, priority #1 absolutely has to be to not concede an away goal.

nonc
03-07-2018, 07:24 PM

Like Carl Robinson tried with the Whitecaps vs Seattle. :facepalm:

Defoe
03-07-2018, 07:39 PM
Vazquez, Aketxe, Auro all out; wow.

oldtraffordPEI
03-07-2018, 07:46 PM
Vazquez, Aketxe, Auro all out; wow.

In Vanney we Trust. Thats some serious talent to bring in fresh legs late.

RealG-TFC
03-07-2018, 08:00 PM
In Vanney we Trust. Thats some serious talent to bring in fresh legs late.

Also might be keeping his cards close for the second leg. Ballsy either way.

mowe
03-07-2018, 08:01 PM
I like our lineup. Bring on Tigres.

oldtraffordPEI
03-07-2018, 08:16 PM
The pitched is fucked

notthesun
03-07-2018, 08:18 PM
The pitched is fucked

It really looks awful. Why was this the season they finally had us start at home??

Nerepis
03-07-2018, 08:20 PM
It' March, why am I so nervous.

Luanda
03-07-2018, 08:21 PM
http://goatdee.net/245860/watch-toronto-fc-vs-tigres-uanl
http://firstrowonly.eu/watch/632201/1/watch-toronto-fc-vs-tigres-uanl-.html
http://livetv.sx/enx/eventinfo/636893_toronto_tigres/
http://myfeed2all.eu/watch/632201/1/watch-toronto-fc-vs-tigres-uanl-.html
http://www.vipbox.live/football/556437/1/toronto-fc-vs-u.a.n.l.--tigres-live-stream-online.html
http://nowwatchtvlive.net/tsn-2-live-stream-watch-tsn-2-channel-online/
http://sports4u.info/channels/tsn-2-live-streaming-free/
http://cricfree.sc/tsn-2-live-stream-
http://www.streamendous.com/sportsch.php?tsn

These feeds freeze.

SirBobSaget
03-07-2018, 08:22 PM
This is 2016 tfc with Bradley trying to be the playmaker. Ugly stuff

oldtraffordPEI
03-07-2018, 08:24 PM
These feeds freeze.

Install acestream if you dont have it. Then use http://127.0.0.1:6878/content/f2e47a8a1593c2a430d37b388d5a795901fe6689/0.92248574622

HD but in spanish, very smooth

http://www.rojadirecta.me/ has some good links

Boddington
03-07-2018, 08:25 PM
These feeds freeze.

http://mls-streams.com/live/toronto-fc-live-stream/channel-4/

jloome
03-07-2018, 08:26 PM
This is 2016 tfc with Bradley trying to be the playmaker. Ugly stuff

He's shown well later in the game in the past, but so far Delgado looks out of his depth.

oldtraffordPEI
03-07-2018, 08:28 PM
73% possession for Tigres so far...fuck me

jloome
73% possession for Tigres so far...fuck me

A lot of that has been passing around the back, though. They havent' done (touch wood) much.

oldtraffordPEI
Classic latin american diving going on

oldtraffordPEI
03-07-2018, 08:30 PM
Oso looks possessed again tonight, good sign

oldtraffordPEI
03-07-2018, 08:49 PM
VDW is solid strong tonight

mowe
03-07-2018, 08:57 PM
Our CB's lack of passing ability really hurts us. But we are going to create chances, just have to take them.

James17930
03-07-2018, 08:58 PM
We won that half, overall. Need to keep up the intensity and adjust to whatever they do in the 2nd half.

I feel like they are just going to sit back and try to spring a counter, so have to be ready for that.

notthesun
03-07-2018, 08:59 PM
Our CB's lack of passing ability really hurts us. But we are going to create chances, just have to take them.

Zavaleta is being particularly exposed here.

We had the better first half there, really settled in pretty well after the first 15 minutes. Might require Vazquez or Aketxe to create a goal though.

oldtraffordPEI
03-07-2018, 09:02 PM
We had the better first half there, really settled in pretty well after the first 15 minutes. Might require Vazquez or Aketxe to create a goal though.

Agreed

oldtraffordPEI
03-07-2018, 09:05 PM
https://twitter.com/kpw033/status/971564876039585792

Laughed at that tweet, likely true though

General Woolfe
03-07-2018, 09:06 PM
Boy we’re in a real match here. This is a proper football team we’re playing. If we come through this tie it will be the greatest achievement in our history. Tigers passing in the final third is sublime and our defence deserve great credit for keeping pace with them and for the most part denying them any real opportunity. Pressing is the key to any success we will get tonight. We need to be on top of the Mexicans whenever we don’t have the ball, forcing them into turnovers whilst maintaining cover against the quick pass forward. I don’t fancy we’re going to see many chances tonight, so when one presents itself we have to take it (Séba?) we don’t have time in the final third to hesitate and ponder our next move (Osorio?), we need to know what we’re going to do before the ball arrives. We can’t wait for the ball to arrrive at our feet (Jozy?) we need to go meet it, and play the forward pass to our own player who is already on the move. It will take a Herculean effort to beat this side, and I’m already starting to think our best chance of progressing is to keep a clean sheet tonight, endure the seige in Mexico, and hope to grab an away goal.

I hopw im wrong and the second half sees us dominant possession and creat more chances in and around the Tigres area. Let’s do this TFC!!!

PizzaEatingYeti
03-07-2018, 09:08 PM
We have zero creation players of high level, and this was obvious when we saw the starting lineup.
I got the impression that the Mexicans don't force much themselves in this match, they are perfectly happy with a draw, because they are very confident they will destroy us in Mexico with a margin of 2-3 goals.

Yohan
03-07-2018, 09:08 PM
Tigres basically playing for a draw and not really being aggressive. Will be just looking to slow the game down, try to take few chances they may get for an away goal and look to finish off TFC at home on 2nd leg.

notthesun
03-07-2018, 09:11 PM
Gignac coming in...

Inklink
03-07-2018, 09:12 PM
Ugh Delgado

James17930
03-07-2018, 09:16 PM
Gignac coming in...

Seems I was wrong about them sitting back, at least for now.

Ajax TFC
03-07-2018, 09:16 PM
That cross from VdW was sexy

molenshtain
03-07-2018, 09:19 PM
stupid goal to give up.

tfcfans
And that’s that.....

mowe
Well that's unfortunate.

General Woolfe
There goes the tie

...very poor by Mavinga and Bono :facepalm:

Inklink
Mavinga has been trash. But Bono seemed out of position.

notthesun
What a cheap goal to give up... that's how we go out of this tournament? God damn it

burlington Red
03-07-2018, 09:20 PM
Was a quality finish.

Inklink
lmfao Osorio

oldtraffordPEI
Lots of time to turn things around, they got lucky and capitalized. We have been fucked by the ref a few times that could have gone our way.

JavierMartini
03-07-2018, 09:21 PM
osorio fucking chad barretting great.

adam1001
Tigres need 1 chance to convert. We need 10.

burlington Red
U can't miss chances like that against teams of this quality

Kaz
03-07-2018, 09:22 PM
I'd hate what they'd look like if they hadn't been "preparing" for so long.

MLS Coach of the year folks... team that loses at home, can't score, can't pass, and make defensive mistakess and move so slow teams are able to constantly put 5-8 men behind the ball. This is going to be a long sad season if they don't smarten up and start working on things like passing and stop trying to "make goals" and actually just try to score.

PizzaEatingYeti
03-07-2018, 09:23 PM
Vanney should put in all players who can force the attack.
Does not men shit that we get beaten by 1-0 here or 3-0.
If we can not get goals at home we are out of this competition.

tfcfans
03-07-2018, 09:25 PM
Yay!!!!

Inklink
03-07-2018, 09:25 PM
Jozzyyyyyy

burlington Red
03-07-2018, 09:26 PM
Happy days. Delgado after a slow start to this game has been quality

Ajax TFC
Folks, meet Marky Delgado

mowe
GREAT first-time ball by Delgado. Altidore beasting that goal, love it.

General Woolfe
Yeeesss Jozy !!!

C’mon now TFC keep this pressure up...

tfcfans
03-07-2018, 09:27 PM
240 minutes to score a home goal to start the year.....yikes....

Inklink
03-07-2018, 09:27 PM
How does the ref say that went off Seba last?

Ajax TFC
03-07-2018, 09:28 PM
Lol this ref is full CONCACAF with the GK calls on obvious deflections

Kaz
03-07-2018, 09:28 PM
see what happens when they stop playing cute and actually try... they need another though.

Inklink
03-07-2018, 09:30 PM
Get Ager out there.

Ajax TFC
03-07-2018, 09:30 PM
Fuck that would have been a good time to feed Altidore

Ajax TFC
03-07-2018, 09:32 PM
Need Aketxe out there for exactly this FK situation. Need a left foot taker

Inklink
03-07-2018, 09:32 PM
Bad freekick

Inklink
03-07-2018, 09:36 PM
Noo Altidore! What a play by Bradley

Ajax TFC
Altidore did not expect that to get to him

JavierMartini
should be 3 or 4 - 1 by now, holy fuck.

oldtraffordPEI
03-07-2018, 09:37 PM
Wow Bradley

JavierMartini
03-07-2018, 09:38 PM
that should be a 2nd yellow on nilo , tigres should be down a man. concacaf gonna concacaf.

Inklink
03-07-2018, 09:39 PM
Osorio is usually so meh.

oldtraffordPEI
03-07-2018, 09:39 PM
This is the most entertaining TFC game Ive ever seen

Inklink
03-07-2018, 09:41 PM
Osorio what was that.

Ajax TFC
03-07-2018, 09:42 PM
Osorio is usually so meh.
Yup. I like the guy and he's good enough for MLS, but too slow in decision making for this level

JavierMartini
03-07-2018, 09:45 PM
another should be goal, holy crap this could be a blowout by now.

Ajax TFC
03-07-2018, 09:45 PM
Okay those changes have me scratching my head

mowe
03-07-2018, 09:46 PM
Would've taken Oso off instead of Delgado, but hey we'll see.

tfcfans
03-07-2018, 09:49 PM
If you don’t get the calls you aren’t winning in CONCACAF.....red cards and penalties “missed”...

Ajax TFC
03-07-2018, 09:50 PM
You could put a thought bubble above Osorio when the ball comes to him near an opposing player: "holy shit holy shit holy shit"

Inklink
03-07-2018, 09:54 PM
I TAKE IT back osoriooooooooo

JavierMartini
03-07-2018, 09:54 PM
That a make up for earlier. lolol

Ajax TFC
03-07-2018, 09:55 PM
I need to think of more critisms for Osorio ;)

mowe
Osorio is the greatest finisher of the modern era.

tfcfans
Yay!!

burlington Red
03-07-2018, 09:56 PM
We needed that

BenRhodes23
03-07-2018, 09:58 PM
What an insane finish from Osorio! I think he's going to have a good season, at least the early indications are that he will. I wish more fans would support him week in and week out, as opposed to just when he scores

Ajax TFC
03-07-2018, 09:58 PM
The ball kids have disappeared! Love it. Going full CONCACAF now :D

burlington Red
03-07-2018, 10:00 PM
Brilliant

notthesun
03-07-2018, 10:00 PM
Holy fuck Mavinga what a tackle. Made up for the goal we conceded there.

jloome
03-07-2018, 10:01 PM
Brilliant

Deserved.

CBTFC
03-07-2018, 10:01 PM
Chris fucking Mavinga with yet another perfect tackle.

burlington Red
03-07-2018, 10:02 PM
Deserved.

Sure was. I was actually referring to the Mavinga tackle.

tfcfans
03-07-2018, 10:02 PM
They deserved the win tonight. I thought they would need at least a 2-0 or 3-1 result tonight to have a legitimate shot to win the series - hope I’m wrong.....:)

daner90
03-07-2018, 10:04 PM
Wowwwwwwwwwww!!!!

BelfastBoy
Match was even better with Spanish commentary!

oldtraffordPEI
We are the better team.

I'm another moron who always shits on Oso...but fuck, about time we support our boy, hes been our best player since the MLS final.

ManUtd4ever
03-07-2018, 10:05 PM
What a game. We should be up 2-3 goals on aggregate, but after falling behind, I'll gladly take this result.

notthesun
03-07-2018, 10:05 PM
Mavinga made up for his gaffe and Osorio made up for his.

What a fucking game, totally lived up to the hype.

Vanney got it right with his lineup. We were better for 3/4 of the game.