PDA

View Full Version : Match Day 1- Columbus @ TFC Sat March 3 1pm - Just Like Starting Over

OgtheDim
02-27-2018, 10:29 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pZCxyOcvp5A&feature=youtu.be

Have At It People

flatpicker
02-27-2018, 11:10 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGNM2sRcGHg

backbeat
02-27-2018, 11:24 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGNM2sRcGHg

what a great song with solos that appear so deceptively simple yet absolutely beautifully perfect....pure genius...

James17930
02-27-2018, 11:36 PM
Vanney is going to have to be very savvy with how he handles minutes in this game and then with Tigres.

I can actually see Jozy getting rested on Sat.

Hamilton_Red
02-28-2018, 02:53 AM
I'd rest Vasquez as well - no reason to play him on Saturday. Let the new boys get some minutes.

I'm worried that Moor will get eaten alive by Tigres..would be tempted to play Haglund and Mavinga with Auro and Moor for the Tigres game. I'm not sure how Vanney is going to play both Auro and Van der Wiel..but they both seem like too much quality not to start. I'd start Rickets and put Altidore on the bench...if Rickets is close to match ready fitness.

It's very exciting to see how the best MLS team from last year has actually improved a whole lot.

If Vanney can work out the chemistry with this group we will be on another great season & will really make a mark.

Initial B
02-28-2018, 07:59 AM
Couldn't Vanney have two completely separate squads for each series of CCL and MLS games? He could stack the bench with members of either squad that could be brought on as the situations require. Assume that none of the starters start on Saturday, what kind of squad could Vanney assemble?

I was thinking they could go:

----------------Irwin-------------------
vdW---Mavinga---Zavaleta---Morgan
---------------Fraser-------------------
Hasler--Chapman---Aketxe---Akinola
---------Ricketts---Hamilton----------

Bench: Bradley, Altidore, Vasquez, Giovinco, Bono, Auro

I think that's enough of a lineup to handle Columbus.

Hugh Jazz
02-28-2018, 08:13 AM
Playing a man up always makes life easier :p

Auzzy
02-28-2018, 09:06 AM
On Twitter I read: Vanney made it sound like he wouldn't rotate much. (I can't find the quotes now.) With a quick start to the season, he wants the bulk of the starters to have some time together.

Cas87
02-28-2018, 09:08 AM
Couldn't Vanney have two completely separate squads for each series of CCL and MLS games? He could stack the bench with members of either squad that could be brought on as the situations require. Assume that none of the starters start on Saturday, what kind of squad could Vanney assemble?

I was thinking they could go:

----------------Irwin-------------------
vdW---Mavinga---Zavaleta---Morgan
Hasler--Chapman---Aketxe---Akinola
---------Ricketts---Hamilton----------

Bench: Bradley, Altidore, Vasquez, Giovinco, Bono, Auro

I think that's enough of a lineup to handle Columbus.

I do like that line-up. Bradley will probably start anyway, and be subbed to rest up (around 50-60).
Splitting halves with Vazquez and Aketxe would probably be beneficial as well (and could use both on the field together next week).

Red CB Toronto
02-28-2018, 05:33 PM
Things could get interesting down at BMO Field. From record-breaking warmth to snowfall. Most of the GTA expecting 5-10cm Thursday evening into Friday morning.

http://www.iheartradio.ca/newstalk-1010/news/from-record-breaking-warmth-to-potential-snowfall-warnings-in-24-hours-1.3652753

James17930
02-28-2018, 06:20 PM
I'm wondering:

Vanney said the field was pretty wet and soft during the game, which is why it got chopped up a bit, and part of that is of course the underfield heating system.

I wonder if they should keep it on before the game, but turn it off during the game. Obviously we don't want the field to freeze, but if it's, like, semi-frozen, maybe that would play a bit better and not get roughed up so much?

Red CB Toronto
02-28-2018, 06:29 PM
Because of the cold streak this city has had this winter, the dried out the field pretty good overheating it. It's the root cause of its current state. It will be interesting to see how it holds up over the next week with two more games on it especially with the crazy snow storm coming our way later this week

I'm wondering:

Vanney said the field was pretty wet and soft during the game, which is why it got chopped up a bit, and part of that is of course the underfield heating system.

I wonder if they should keep it on before the game, but turn it off during the game. Obviously we don't want the field to freeze, but if it's, like, semi-frozen, maybe that would play a bit better and not get roughed up so much?

flatpicker
02-28-2018, 06:29 PM
I'm wondering:

I'm sure the grounds crew considers all possibilities.
No doubt they did the best they could under the circumstances.

James17930
02-28-2018, 06:32 PM
Because of the cold streak this city has had this winter, the dried out the field pretty good overheating it. It's the root cause of its current state. It will be interesting to see how it holds up over the next week with two more games on it especially with the crazy snow storm coming our way later this week

Of course, the best thing would be for CONCACAF to have a more rational schedule for the CCL. I don't see why they started so early, and also why they have these first two rounds in subsequent weeks.

marquis
02-28-2018, 08:08 PM
There's some insight here into CCL scheduling:

https://www.si.com/planet-futbol/2017/01/24/concacaf-champions-league-format-ccl-change-mls-liga-mx

James17930
02-28-2018, 08:49 PM
There's some insight here into CCL scheduling:

https://www.si.com/planet-futbol/2017/01/24/concacaf-champions-league-format-ccl-change-mls-liga-mx

As the article mentions, this new version of the CCL doesn't solve the scheduling issues for MLS clubs.

I don't particularly mind having it at this time of year, but I don't see why everything couldn't be pushed forward even a couple of weeks. I mean, even 2 weeks would make a big difference.

And I don't think the quarterfinals should start the very next week after the round of 16. Space it out a little bit.

Hamilton_Red
02-28-2018, 09:06 PM
There was a certain logic to starting season on the West Coast or in the Southern US. Seems to me two away games for TFC to start is sensible idea.

OgtheDim
03-01-2018, 06:56 AM
Sunny with northerly winds - this is going to be one cold game. Forecast right now is for 1 degree at kickoff.

sn0re
03-01-2018, 08:21 AM
Does anyone know if there is a planned march to BMO before the game?

Initial B
03-01-2018, 08:34 AM
Is five days enough time between games for the same line-up to play in each game? Vanney said he wanted to build some continuity into the lineup to get players used to playing with each other. So what is the best lineup for TFC in both the 3-5-2 and the 4-4-2 diamond? Vanney also mentioned he wanted to be able to pull out a third formation if the situation required it - perhaps we'll see that later in the summer.

woolly
03-01-2018, 08:40 AM
Sunny with northerly winds - this is going to be one cold game. Forecast right now is for 1 degree at kickoff.

I'm all in favour of this. Tigres will not be prepared for cold and snow, and will be much less likely to start their best 11 allowing us to (hopefully) up the scoreline a bit.

JT Red127
03-01-2018, 08:41 AM
I'm all in favour of this. Tigres will not be prepared for cold and snow, and will be much less likely to start their best 11 allowing us to (hopefully) up the scoreline a bit.

That's good, but this match is against Columbus. :)

woolly
03-01-2018, 08:43 AM
That's good, but this match is against Columbus. :)

I just realized that after I hit post... Looking forward to the CCL matches too much.

Fuck Columbus.

ScarboroughRed
03-01-2018, 08:51 AM
Is five days enough time between games for the same line-up to play in each game? Vanney said he wanted to build some continuity into the lineup to get players used to playing with each other. So what is the best lineup for TFC in both the 3-5-2 and the 4-4-2 diamond? Vanney also mentioned he wanted to be able to pull out a third formation if the situation required it - perhaps we'll see that later in the summer.

I mentioned it before, I think I saw that Auro and Aketxe can play wings, as well as Seba (not his preferred position). I remember Vanney talking about not having wingers so bringing those guys means he can play a 4-3-3, if needed.

Straight up with Jozy up top or false 9 with Seba up top.

Just a thought.

Red CB Toronto
03-01-2018, 09:00 AM
Plus I wonder if this is the game where you get Gregory a run out, getting his feet under him after what for sure has been a very emotional week with the arrival of his daughter. No offence Columbus is no Tigres, so this would be a good opportunity for his debut in a Reds jersey, easing him into the lineup.

James17930
03-01-2018, 09:38 AM
Plus I wonder if this is the game where you get Gregory a run out, getting his feet under him after what for sure has been a very emotional week with the arrival of his daughter. No offence Columbus is no Tigres, so this would be a good opportunity for his debut in a Reds jersey, easing him into the lineup.

I think he definitely plays against Columbus. Gotta start getting him into the team.

tfcfans
03-01-2018, 09:55 AM
On a different tangent - is the Jozy song at 66:15 going to be happening like Dichio does at 23:13.....I know I keep pushing this rock up the hill, but it seems like this should be an easy thing to get going with the familiar "Dichio" tune and the relatively simple words I put out there a few times (and others seemed to endorse), I would think people will latch on pretty quickly within a game or two.....I just think it's a nice bookend to have one of these in each half from first goal ever to championship winning goal.....if the majority seem out on this idea, I will stop pushing this rock, as I'm feeling a bit like Sisyphus....ha ha ha.....

JuliquE
03-01-2018, 12:28 PM
On a different tangent - is the Jozy song at 66:15 going to be happening like Dichio does at 23:13.....I know I keep pushing this rock up the hill, but it seems like this should be an easy thing to get going with the familiar "Dichio" tune and the relatively simple words I put out there a few times (and others seemed to endorse), I would think people will latch on pretty quickly within a game or two.....I just think it's a nice bookend to have one of these in each half from first goal ever to championship winning goal.....if the majority seem out on this idea, I will stop pushing this rock, as I'm feeling a bit like Sisyphus....ha ha ha.....
I know how it feels to sometimes hear your own voice echoing through the halls of these forums, so, for whatever it's worth, I'll chime in and say I'd really love to see this—far away as I am, I'd pay for membership (been on the fence awhile, to be fair), if it could somehow guarantee (directly/indirectly that) this happens.

It's not just the goal that won us the cup—it were for our first ever MLS Cup, and he'd been a beast for us throughout the season (especially down the stretch; clutch).

I'm really surprised this hasn't already started, with the CCL games (where "Dichio 24" is also sung), given the apparent interest when this idea were first brought up; guess that was more the hype-factor, following the magnificent result… but, it would really be a shame if this didn't materialize (not too late, if we say we were "saving it for the first MLS match," for the relevance there).

If there's anything I can do to help, in whatever limited capacity I can, please let me know.

Initial B
03-01-2018, 02:19 PM
The more I think about what Vanney said about getting reps, the more I think he'll keep alot of the same starters as he has for the past two weeks. I foresee this starting lineup:

----------------Bono-------------------
vdW-----Moor----Mavinga----Morrow
--------------Bradley------------------
--Aketxe---Vasquez----Oso/Delgado
--------Altidore-----Giovinco---------

Bench: Akinola, Hamilton, Irwin, Auro, Hasler, Hagglund/Zavaleta

Is that going to be the best first team that Vanney can put out there?

TrebleMaker
03-01-2018, 02:37 PM
The more I think about what Vanney said about getting reps, the more I think he'll keep alot of the same starters as he has for the past two weeks. I foresee this starting lineup:

--Aketxe---Vasquez----Oso/Delgado

Bench: Akinola, Hamilton, Irwin, Auro, Hasler, Hagglund/Zavaleta

Is that going to be the best first team that Vanney can put out there?

This line up looks more realistic, although keep in mind Bono took some contact at the end of the game....hope he's ok.
Vanney is right to keep the chemistry going....I see VDW coming off the bench, like Mavinga did on Tuesday night and Auro starting.

As for the Jozy song.....absolutely a must!!

Luanda
03-01-2018, 03:51 PM
Me thinks more like....

Auro-----Vasquez------Aketxe

Joe Kool
03-01-2018, 03:55 PM
Me thinks more like....

I would like to see this to start one game to see how it works. Can Aketxe cover as much ground as Osorio and Delgado though or is he more of a slower playmaker like Vasquez? We have seen Auro do it already but haven't see enough of Aketxe yet.

Fort York Redcoat
03-01-2018, 04:28 PM
http://hillcoandassociates.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/10/Trillium-Flower-1024x683.jpg

After winning the flower back-to-back we have a chance to win it for the last time...

Wait what is the flower of Austin? Texas? :noidea:

Cas87
03-01-2018, 04:31 PM

Ribeye Steak

Red CB Toronto
03-01-2018, 04:32 PM
The beautiful "Blue Bonnet" !!https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/4/4c/Bluebonnet-8100.jpg

http://hillcoandassociates.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/10/Trillium-Flower-1024x683.jpg

After winning the flower back-to-back we have a chance to win it for the last time...

C.Ronaldo
03-01-2018, 04:56 PM
I would like to see this to start one game to see how it works. Can Aketxe cover as much ground as Osorio and Delgado though or is he more of a slower playmaker like Vasquez? We have seen Auro do it already but haven't see enough of Aketxe yet.

he seemed inclined to hassle and chase balls down, but thats not 90 minutes.

tfcfans
03-01-2018, 05:21 PM
I know how it feels to sometimes hear your own voice echoing through the halls of these forums, so, for whatever it's worth, I'll chime in and say I'd really love to see this—far away as I am, I'd pay for membership (been on the fence awhile, to be fair), if it could somehow guarantee (directly/indirectly that) this happens.

It's not just the goal that won us the cup—it were for our first ever MLS Cup, and he'd been a beast for us throughout the season (especially down the stretch; clutch).

I'm really surprised this hasn't already started, with the CCL games (where "Dichio 24" is also sung), given the apparent interest when this idea were first brought up; guess that was more the hype-factor, following the magnificent result… but, it would really be a shame if this didn't materialize (not too late, if we say we were "saving it for the first MLS match," for the relevance there).

If there's anything I can do to help, in whatever limited capacity I can, please let me know.

Ok --- now there are three of us (and a few others from other forums) pushing the rock up the hill of Jozy 66:15 (Thanks JuliquE/TrebleMaker - I'll take any support I can get for this as this seems like a no-brainer to me!!).....can anyone with more sway in the group help us push the Jozy song to it's rightful place in memorializing it every game -- I can't think of anything other than the first goal being memorialized (our birth so to speak in the first half of the game), and then the Championship Winning Goal (our coronation in the second half of the game), that would be more appropriate.....for those that want to learn the very complex :rolleyes: lyrics which I proposed back on December 10th....

Oooohhhh Jozy Altidore,
Jozy Altidore, all he did was score,
Jozy Altidore

.....to the tune we all know and love....it's simple, yet effective.....we all know what it signifies, and I'm sure it would get picked up around the stadium relatively quickly once people clue in......

Still pushing the rock up the hill in this (relatively simple) quest.....after being in this group since year one, if I can somehow contribute this to the lexicon of the TFC experience, it would go right up there in my great life affirming moments ;), right up there with the birth of my two kids, and my wedding day....or maybe those three in a different order depending on if my wife reads this posting...ha ha ha....:rolleyes:

Mike_S
03-01-2018, 09:43 PM
Ismail Elfath will be the referee for the match with Silviu Petrescu watching on the tv.

http://proreferees.com/2018/02/27/mls-assignments-week-1/

sn0re
03-01-2018, 09:48 PM
Ismail Elfath will be the referee for the match with Silviu Petrescu watching on the tv.

http://proreferees.com/2018/02/27/mls-assignments-week-1/

What a way to start of the MLS season kek

Mike_S
03-01-2018, 10:05 PM
Yeah, he's not my favourite either but I can't hate on the guy** after he gave Brek Shea that hilarious red card last year in Vancouver:

Elfath: <shows Brek Shea an appropriate yellow card for a typically dumb, Brek Shea-type tackle.>

Shea: " F*** you, ref."

Elfath: <looks shockingly at Brek Shea>

Shea: "Yeah, I said it."

Elfath: <shows Brek Shea red card for typically dumb-ass Brek Shea-type act.> :D:D:D

** - I'll probably hate on the guy this weekend. :(

leedsandTFC
03-01-2018, 11:08 PM
no chance of game being called off due to snow right lads?

Shway
03-02-2018, 12:07 AM
Disrespectful to take Osorio out the lineup right now. He's playing just as good if not better than Vasquez.

Red CB Toronto
03-02-2018, 12:08 AM
no chance of game being called off due to snow right lads?

I would not think so, especially after the conditions they faced last week in Colorado. Now the condition of the field could be a different story, it could be crap shape, especially if they have to blast it with heat. It's going to be an interesting week in terms of the pitch.

Joe Kool
03-02-2018, 09:44 AM
I would not think so, especially after the conditions they faced last week in Colorado. Now the condition of the field could be a different story, it could be crap shape, especially if they have to blast it with heat. It's going to be an interesting week in terms of the pitch.

It was soft and tore up last game. I think it will continue to tear up this next game. For the CCL game on Wednesday it might end up being like Houston's crap field they have when their university football team starts playing on it. I hope I am wrong but I don't think the current weather is going to make field repair much of a possibility.

ag futbol
03-02-2018, 10:00 AM
Where is the supposed coverage of this team in advance of the season opener?

we’re getting basically zero media lift.

C.Ronaldo
03-02-2018, 12:48 PM
Where is the supposed coverage of this team in advance of the season opener?

we’re getting basically zero media lift.

i feel the same thing. just there odd mention of game times

Canary10
03-02-2018, 12:56 PM
Is it just me who feels like we've played Columbus every other game for the past year? Are there any other teams in this league?

notthesun
03-02-2018, 01:17 PM
Is it just me who feels like we've played Columbus every other game for the past year? Are there any other teams in this league?

Surely you're not suggesting the battle for the famous Trillium Cup is becoming a bit played out...

ryan
03-02-2018, 01:19 PM

Yeah there's NYRB and Montreal...oh wait we play them all the time too....

denime
03-02-2018, 01:35 PM
Disrespectful to take Osorio out the lineup right now. He's playing just as good if not better than Vasquez.

I would let Osorio play vs Columbus,so he can enjoy Tigres game from the bench.

Just because Ossoryo is running like headless chicken all over the place doesn't make him better then Vasquez who actually knows what he is doing.

notthesun
03-02-2018, 01:37 PM

Just because Ossoryo is running like headless chicken all over the place doesn't make him better then Vasquez who actually knows what he is doing.

Huh? Osorio's probably been our best player through the first two games.

He wouldn't take Vazquez's spot anyways.

Red CB Toronto
03-02-2018, 01:52 PM
Can you feel it !!!! One more sleep until the Reds open the MLS regular season !

TheSloanRanger
03-02-2018, 02:11 PM
Can you feel it !!!! One more sleep until the Reds open the MLS regular season !
:drinking:
I can almost taste the breakfast beers now

Canary10
03-02-2018, 02:18 PM
Surely you're not suggesting the battle for the famous Trillium Cup is becoming a bit played out...

Maybe it should be made a best of 7 given how often we play them.

JT Red127
03-02-2018, 03:41 PM

Osorio has been fantastic, from the MLS final to the 2 Colorado matches. I've been hard on the guy over the year but lets give credit and respect when he's earned it. He was the best player on the pitch the other night, play like he has and he wont be on the bench much.

Cas87
03-02-2018, 03:50 PM
Me thinks more like....

I would have to agree that using what is the "attacking" formation (for lack of a better term) against Columbus is probably the best move. See how it goes and then make defensive or other adjustments for Tigres as needed.

Defoe
03-02-2018, 04:35 PM
Me thinks more like....

Vanney, please lock this in. With Tigres coming up; give this lineup 60 minutes together. Sub off Vazquez, Altidore and Bradley at the 60.

ensco
03-02-2018, 04:40 PM
^I don't think vdW gets the start. Auro stays at RB and gets subbed out.

I think Vanney plays the 4-4-2 diamond and subs Aketxe in for Delgado. Osotio starts.

Joe Kool
03-02-2018, 05:03 PM

I think Vanney plays the 4-4-2 diamond and subs Aketxe in for Delgado. Osotio starts.

Probably accurate. If I recall Vanney doesn't usually integrate guys straight into a starting role when they are new....aside from Auro I guess but we had a gap there at the time with Beita gone and VDW not available. Osorio has been doing too well to be taken out of the starting 11. Lots of games coming to rotate all these guys. I thought I read one of the reasons Aketxe came was for more playing time, VDW too. Will see how Vanney manages these guys and their wants and needs to be happy.

Defoe
03-02-2018, 06:20 PM

This is probably more accurate; but in terms of preference I would rather Auro at midfield and Van Der Weil starting at RB. I can understand that approach though.

I'll be quite disappointed if Ager

Red CB Toronto
03-02-2018, 06:41 PM
This is probably more accurate; but in terms of preference I would rather Auro at midfield and Van Der Weil starting at RB. I can understand that approach though.

I'll be quite disappointed if Ager

Ager what? Looks like you did not get a complete sentence in. Something go deleted along the way.

ensco
03-02-2018, 06:51 PM
^He'll be disappointed if Ager doesn’t start.

Vanney will likely start Osorio and Delgado against Tigres, so he has to be careful. He could easily wreck Delgado's confidence here.

I am not sure Ager will start. Vanney is loyal. I think probably Ager will, because it's a better message for Delgado - Vanney would rather sub Delgado in at halftime. That sets up better than pulling Delgado, even if he is playing well. That pisses players off.

Let Ager have a great first half, then let Delgado show that it’s still has spot to lose.

Starts can be overrated in soccer. It's who finishes the game that is sometimes most important.

Defoe
03-02-2018, 08:03 PM
^He'll be disappointed if Ager doesn’t start.

Vanney will likely start Osorio and Delgado against Tigres, so he has to be careful. He could easily wreck Delgado's confidence here.

I am not sure Ager will start. Vanney is loyal. I think probably Ager will, because it's a better message for Delgado - Vanney would rather sub Delgado in at halftime. That sets up better than pulling Delgado, even if he is playing well. That pisses players off.

Let Ager have a great first half, then let Delgado show that it’s still has spot to lose.

Starts can be overrated in soccer. It's who finishes the game that is sometimes most important.

Haha thanks for finishing my finishing sentence.

Vanney is loyal but he also wants to prioritize winning. Ager is in form, and simply put, he's a better player then Delgado. I agree you don't want to ruin a players confidence, but you have to play your best 11. This is a winning mentality that Vanney and co have. This is why we got him. Delgado can come in around the 60th minute for Vazquez to give him rest, I agree with that.

re: Game Vs Tigres. We must play Ager if he has a good showing tomorrow with the team.

James17930
03-02-2018, 08:11 PM

I would be supremely shocked if vdW doesn't start. You don't pay a guy close to 1 mil a year to have him fight for a spot in the team.

Either him and Auro both start in a 4-4-2, or he plays 70-ish minutes and then Auro subs him off in a 3-5-2 ... something like that.

I really don't think it's good for the team if those two start competing for 1 spot. It would cause too much rancour.

ensco
03-02-2018, 08:37 PM
^It's vdW's spot. But not until after the Tigres tie.

James17930
03-02-2018, 09:09 PM
^It's vdW's spot. But not until after the Tigres tie.

I can see the argument for that approach, but personally that's not how I would do it. I'd try to get vdW into the team as soon as possible.

I guess we'll have to wait until tomorrow to see what Vanney decides.

Yohan
03-02-2018, 10:00 PM
I don't understand why some people want to shoehorn in VdV and Aketxe now. Why try to fix something that is not broken?

The immediate goal right now is to win CCL. To do that, Vanney has said current first teamers will play to gain match fitness for Tigres game on Wed.

VdV is not match fit, and he's so sleep deprived from a newborn baby that I don't think his mind is 100% concentrated on soccer anyways. Osorio and Delgado has not sucked so much that Aketxe deserves to take one of their spots now. Team chemistry is important, esp against a team like Tigres. You should be earning your mins in this TFC squad, not just based on your resume.

There will be enough game mins to go around with V Cup coming up. Vanney has done a decent job on squad rotation last season.

Auzzy
03-02-2018, 11:03 PM
I don't understand why some people want to shoehorn in VdV and Aketxe now. Why try to fix something that is not broken?

The immediate goal right now is to win CCL. To do that, Vanney has said current first teamers will play to gain match fitness for Tigres game on Wed.

VdV is not match fit, and he's so sleep deprived from a newborn baby that I don't think his mind is 100% concentrated on soccer anyways. Osorio and Delgado has not sucked so much that Aketxe deserves to take one of their spots now. Team chemistry is important, esp against a team like Tigres. You should be earning your mins in this TFC squad, not just based on your resume.

There will be enough game mins to go around with V Cup coming up. Vanney has done a decent job on squad rotation last season.

I'm concerned that Osorio & Delgado together will get run over by Tigres. Colorado looked dominant above their ability for stretches of the last game. Osorio has played well most of the time, but still frequently thinks and/or waits too long. Tigres won't allow that. Honestly it was also because Vazquez's passing was problematic in both Colorado games, but I think it's more likely that Vazquez can step up vs. Tigres.

I think one of Aketxe or vdW may start vs. Tigres, if they play well in more limited minutes vs Columbus. Also I thought they said that vdW showed up very much in shape in preseason?

Yohan
03-02-2018, 11:17 PM
I'm concerned that Osorio & Delgado together will get run over by Tigres. Colorado looked dominant above their ability for stretches of the last game. Osorio has played well most of the time, but still frequently thinks and/or waits too long. Tigres won't allow that. Honestly it was also because Vazquez's passing was problematic in both Colorado games, but I think it's more likely that Vazquez can step up vs. Tigres.
The thing is, we don't know just how good Aketxe is yet. All we know is that he was a sub for a La Liga team and bunch of youtube highlights. He might be way better than Osorio and Delgado. I hope he adds more quality to the team. Or he can totally just thunder in and suck balls because he doesn't have team chemistry and don't know Vanney's tactics or other factors.
I need to see a better argument to break up a treble winning starting lineup other than Oso and Delgado might get overrun.

I think one of Aketxe or vdW may start vs. Tigres, if they play well in more limited minutes vs Columbus. Also I thought they said that vdW showed up very much in shape in preseason?
being physically fit is different than being match fit. To be match fit, you need actual game mins.

OgtheDim
03-03-2018, 07:09 AM
VdW starts because they brought him in to start games. He is demonstrably better then Auro.

Berhalter is a very good coach. They are going to press us within an inch of our lives. Among others, Columbus showed last year that we are not as effective against the press.

If we go with the diamond, we are playing into their hands.

This game will not be easy.

ensco
03-03-2018, 07:51 AM
I really think Delgado is moving (unless it's Oso to Vancouver), like this week. I just don't see how this doesn't become a problem fast.

These guys are too good to sit, but what do you do?

Carter
03-03-2018, 08:01 AM

Yohan, I normally agree with most of your hot takes but I think you are way off base on this one.
how do do you know VdV isn’t match fit? How do you know he’s sleep deprived? We have no clue TBH and your hot take that he is simply because he has a newborn could be incorrect. My kid slept through the night until she was 1.5 years old then the up at all hours of the nights started. Every kid is different and really the family dynamics are different as well, we know that Rose has her family in town helping with the baby, we also know that they discussed hiring help for the care of the child. Yes I agree his mind might not be 100% on football, but no players mind ever fully is. Really if Old Man Drew can do it (have a newborn at home and show up everyday) why don’t you believe VdV can do it?

ensco
03-03-2018, 08:58 AM
^Vanney said VdW hadn't slept in two days after the Rapids game.

Plus Yohan is right. This isn't the same as Justin Morrow or Michael Bradley having a newborn, vdW has only been here two weeks. It's fair to assume that he hasn't had enough first team practice time to feel comfortable throwing him at this point.

Shway
03-03-2018, 09:58 AM
^^Few hours till we'll see.

I think VdW will play depending on how the game goes. But he won't start.

ManUtd4ever
03-03-2018, 10:09 AM
I know it's unlikely, but I would prefer a B lineup out there today. Rest all our starters for Tigres.

CBTFC
03-03-2018, 10:13 AM
Game Day morning!

Warming up with breakfast and Premier league action, making way to the stadium around noon.

Shaping up to be really pleasant weather this afternoon. Around the freezing mark with a brisk wind from the north and warm sunshine.

I personally don't care what starting 11 we throw out there today, cause I know it'll be quality. We're not viewed as the deepest team in MLS just because.

Carter
03-03-2018, 10:53 AM

Plus Yohan is right. This isn't the same as Justin Morrow or Michael Bradley having a newborn, vdW has only been here two weeks. It's fair to assume that he hasn't had enough first team practice time to feel comfortable throwing him at this point.

FWIW, he made the comment “on little sleep” 5 days ago referring to potentially seeing action during Tuesday’s game.

He’s also been here for over 6 weeks (he arrived 2 weeks before officially being “revealed” on February 1.)

Vanney has multiple times said he fits right in with the team during practices he has had.

We can agree to disagree on the match fit point.

T.O TILL I DIE
03-03-2018, 11:03 AM

Thats really no excuse for a proffesional athlete. Vanvleet from the Raps played the same night his wife had a baby. Vdw shouldnt need 2 weeks. Id assume hes match fit and ready to play today.

Hamilton_Red
03-03-2018, 11:25 AM
I'd go with ....

Bono
Auro Moor Mavinga Morrow

VdW Bradley Aketxe Osorio

Giovinco Altidore

Give Vasquez a rest for Tigres

Altidore plays 1st half - Rickets the 2nd Half

Sub Aktexe at 60 minutes for Delgado

Defoe
03-03-2018, 11:33 AM

I agree with this and I hope Vanney does too. Oso + Delgado have been competent for us, but it's yet to be determined if they can hold there own at that level.

-

I really think Delgado is moving (unless it's Oso to Vancouver), like this week. I just don't see how this doesn't become a problem fast.

Osorio is a 200 k player. The average starting player on Toronto FC including DP's is around 2 million. With the addition of TAM and the salary cap basically doubling, if you're a 200 k player you are not really worthy of being a starting player for us, honestly. The bar has been raised. I think Delgado and Osorio will be really solid squad rotation players and give us some great contributing minutes; but no way are they to good to be starting. You need capable squad rotation players to win. Do you think it's a guarantee Osorio would starting for most champions league teams? Likely not.

Defoe
03-03-2018, 12:22 PM
Van Der Weil and Aketxe in the starting 11

Ajax TFC
03-03-2018, 12:30 PM

But what could you get in return to make it worth letting either of them go? Sure, both could be starters, but we'll need them this year more than whatever we'd get in return.

James17930
03-03-2018, 12:30 PM
https://www.instagram.com/p/Bf3mDKXnV9p/?taken-by=torontofc------Bono--------
vdW--Zavs---Mavinga---Morrow
--Oso---Bradley---VV----Aketxe
-----Gio--------Jozy

I like this lineup.

BenRhodes23
03-03-2018, 12:33 PM
https://www.instagram.com/p/Bf3mDKXnV9p/?taken-by=torontofc------Bono--------
vdW--Zavs---Mavinga---Morrow
--Oso---Bradley---VV----Aketxe
-----Gio--------Jozy

I like this lineup.

I think this is our strongest lineup if we switch out Zavaleta for Moor

ensco
03-03-2018, 12:37 PM
But what could you get in return to make it worth letting either of them go? Sure, both could be starters, but we'll need them this year more than whatever we'd get in return.

There is no asset we could receive that we would want except allocation money, and maybe TAM for 2019.

Greatest Ripoff
03-03-2018, 12:43 PM
Any streams?

PizzaEatingYeti
03-03-2018, 12:48 PM
Same here:
Any streams?

Someone posted 3-4 days ago that MLS live is free if you just sign-up?

James17930
03-03-2018, 12:50 PM
There are many links to streams on this page:

http://livetv.sx/enx/eventinfo/633661_toronto_columbus/

But they sometimes don't work until the game starts.

Greatest Ripoff
03-03-2018, 12:50 PM
Same here:
Any streams?

Someone posted 3-4 days ago that MLS live is free if you just sign-up?

It is but I'm in the UK so it doesn't work for me even if I use a vpn.

Inklink
03-03-2018, 12:54 PM
How do you think the attendance will be? Seems a little empty behind Luke and Steven right now.

Defoe
03-03-2018, 12:55 PM
How do you think the attendance will be? Seems a little empty behind Luke and Steven right now.

It will be more full around 1:15

Inklink
03-03-2018, 12:57 PM
lmao Garger has a fricken belt around his coat collar??

https://i.snag.gy/vm3qJj.jpg

Inklink
03-03-2018, 01:00 PM
Damn who's cutting onions.

PizzaEatingYeti
03-03-2018, 01:03 PM
OK, this one worKs super nice:

http://www.sportingvideo1.com/20180303/vv5a9a60c4870393.89255678-1919309.html

Inklink
03-03-2018, 01:04 PM
Dero!
Danny Dichio!
Cheyrou!

It's cold out there but the soccer kids are in shorts and tshirts

Ajax TFC
03-03-2018, 01:08 PM
TSN should really put Terry Dunfield with Luke Wileman as the colour commentator

BenRhodes23
03-03-2018, 01:08 PM
Dero!
Danny Dichio!
Cheyrou!

It's cold out there but the soccer kids are in shorts and tshirts

The real treble! 3 legends

ensco
03-03-2018, 01:09 PM
I know someone who couldn’t give his seats away.

Its not something most of us understand, but really, the majority of people aren’t that excited by standing in frigid conditions for two hours.

PizzaEatingYeti
03-03-2018, 01:11 PM
Very many empyt seats!
Shame, shame, shame....

ensco
03-03-2018, 01:11 PM
So Ager in for Delgado, vdW in for Auro, Mavinga in for Hagglund.

Vanney surprises me.

BenRhodes23
03-03-2018, 01:12 PM
Steffen's goalkeeper kit is awful

MightyDM
03-03-2018, 01:22 PM
great defending by Osorio there. What is wrong with Van Der Weil? He is totally behind the play and Columbus is making all sorts of progress down his flank

James17930
03-03-2018, 01:24 PM
Seems the wind is playing havoc with the ball.

ensco
Jeez Morrow got undressed there

MightyDM
Lovely touch by Osorio there again.

Inklink
Jeez Morrow got undressed there

Long way for him to get over there to cover though.

ensco
03-03-2018, 01:26 PM
We need the quick one touch to beat the high press.

Hamilton_Red
03-03-2018, 01:26 PM
Lovely touch by Osorio there again.

Wow shaky start for the champs. Zavs looking like he has never kicked a ball before.

Inklink
03-03-2018, 01:29 PM
Just a bit sloppy so far.

James17930
03-03-2018, 01:29 PM
We need the quick one touch to beat the high press.

Yeah – seems like their plan at the moment is to try to just boot it over the pressing players and get in behind, but it's not really working.

MightyDM
03-03-2018, 01:34 PM
morrow having a massive impact on attack. V de W completely absent.

MightyDM
03-03-2018, 01:36 PM
much better by V d W

James17930
03-03-2018, 01:40 PM
much better by V d W

Yeah, I mean, we've got to give him a bit of time. He hasn't played much the last year ... might take him a bit to get back into the rhythm.

James17930
03-03-2018, 01:42 PM
Trying to pass it into the net. Just shoot.

MightyDM
03-03-2018, 01:43 PM
great to see Gio out jumping their CB!

Nerepis
03-03-2018, 01:47 PM
Starting to control the game a little better. I think standing around in the cold to look at the trophies didn't help the first 20 minutes.

BenRhodes23
03-03-2018, 01:48 PM
VdW seems to be picking up the pace. A few nice plays linking up with Aketxe

ensco
03-03-2018, 01:49 PM
I was wrong. BMO is 95% full.

Inklink
03-03-2018, 01:49 PM
Pitch condition is screwing up passes.

Yeah, the crowd filled up. Just late as usual for Toronto sports lol

notthesun
03-03-2018, 01:57 PM
Marking failure between Bradley and Zavaleta. It was a blind cross by the Columbus fullback, we just needed to get someone in front of Higuain.

Hamilton_Red
03-03-2018, 01:58 PM
Giovinco Vasquez Altidore all playing shite.

Very weak defensive line up today. Shape is bad.

Yohan
I hate Higuain. he's a TFC killer. but fantastic player. Bono did well to react, but he really should have made that save

ag futbol
Arg... that’s frustrating.

Pitch conditions atrocious as is the weather in general. Shame on MLS for gambling on this shit early season. And it could be even worse than this in a bad year.

Vasquez feels like a warm weather player here...

ag futbol
03-03-2018, 01:59 PM
I hate Higuain. he's a TFC killer. but fantastic player. Bono did well to react, but he really should have made that save
On a bang-bang play less than 10 yards between the shooter and the net... asking a lot.

James17930
03-03-2018, 01:59 PM
2-1, we're gonna win 2-1 ...

Yohan
03-03-2018, 02:01 PM
So far, 4 out of 5 halves played this season has been crap. Tigres will kill us on Wed if we play this poorly

Nerepis
03-03-2018, 02:06 PM
I'm so glad half-time came along so I could watch commercials and stop listening to Caldwell blow Higuain.

Ajax TFC
03-03-2018, 02:06 PM
Feels like we aren't dominating midfield with Bradley playing so far back. Might as well put an extra CB in there and get Bradley further into midfield

PizzaEatingYeti
03-03-2018, 02:07 PM
The second leg against Colorado we played crap (by TFC standards).
This half we were shit. Toothless going forward, and having a very hard time defending.

Wery well deserved lead by The piss stains.

burlington Red
03-03-2018, 02:08 PM
Shape is poor when we r defending.

PizzaEatingYeti
03-03-2018, 02:08 PM
So far, 4 out of 5 halves played this season has been crap. Tigres will kill us on Wed if we play this poorly
I was thinking exactly the same.

Hamilton_Red
03-03-2018, 02:13 PM
Not enough defense and bite with both Ager and Vasquez in CM roles.

PizzaEatingYeti
03-03-2018, 02:15 PM
I will be happy with a 1-1 in this one.
TFC should come out for the 2nd half with a fire lighted under their asses. If they can't do that, it's big trouble.

ag futbol
03-03-2018, 02:18 PM
Midfield balance with this diamond simply isn’t there.... as yet

Davenport
03-03-2018, 02:19 PM
On a bang-bang play less than 10 yards between the shooter and the net... asking a lot.

Difficult for Bono, can't really blame him. Not sure what a bang-bang play is ? It was a great ball out wide and the boy pulled the ball back well for Higuain to hit first time.

notthesun
Yeah that wasn't great

PizzaEatingYeti
Fuck this shit.
I can't watch this any more.

James17930
Oh fuck off.

adam1001
03-03-2018, 02:21 PM
Cup hangover? Jeez.

Inklink
03-03-2018, 02:23 PM
defending is atrocious

Hamilton_Red
03-03-2018, 02:23 PM
They ran right through the middle. Vanney got this all wrong.

Inklink
03-03-2018, 02:26 PM
Vazquez out

Ajax TFC
03-03-2018, 02:30 PM
I want to see them try and tee up Aketxe

notthesun
03-03-2018, 02:34 PM
Aketxe is visibly uncomfortable with this crappy pitch

Davenport
03-03-2018, 02:35 PM
Altidore is having a shocker

Ajax TFC
03-03-2018, 02:37 PM
How in the fuck

Inklink
Crossing is bad today

Yohan
Aketxe is visibly uncomfortable with this crappy pitch
not just that. he's so focused on going forward that there are too many gaps in midfield and leaving TFC vulnerable on defence. spacing is off. this will get fixed with more practice and game mins, but it's so glaring this game.

Ajax TFC
03-03-2018, 02:38 PM
Why is Auro trying to cross it when there's an open fucking net?

Hamilton_Red
03-03-2018, 02:38 PM
Altidore needs subbing. Just not at the races.

Tactical criticism.

James17930
03-03-2018, 02:39 PM
Arrggggghhhh

Ajax TFC
03-03-2018, 02:40 PM
Everyone's decision making on the ball is piss poor today. And where decision making is good, execution is shit

nonc
03-03-2018, 02:41 PM
When Auro Jr crosses instead of passing the ball into open net. :facepalm:

ag futbol
03-03-2018, 02:42 PM
VDW looks a few weeks off hitting form, to say the least.

Kaz
If this is the new TFC I want the old one back. The team that could string two passes together and tried to score not score only after pulling every defender into the box. SCCL is all but a sure elimination of they are going to play like this.

gracos
Frustrating to say the least but if i remember correctly we didnt start hot last year either just hope we can adjust well or we can come to terms we wont being advancing in CCL

Hamilton_Red
03-03-2018, 02:45 PM
Wow this team needs some major work. Chemistry is back at square zero. The “Greatest MLS team in history” BS has gone to a few players heads. Zavaletta and Mavinga not doing it at all.

Inklink
03-03-2018, 02:46 PM
This formation looks like shit.

ag futbol
03-03-2018, 02:46 PM
I don’t think the pairing of Zavaleta / mavinga does anybody justice.

The other player needs to be more of a leader.

Inklink
03-03-2018, 02:50 PM
Damn Ager nice try

Ajax TFC
03-03-2018, 02:51 PM
Way too many unforced intercepted passes. Can't blame formation or player selection for that when it's everyone including core players making bonehead mistakes

Inklink
03-03-2018, 02:51 PM
lmfao one of those games I guess

burlington Red
03-03-2018, 02:52 PM
Sums his day up been woeful

Ajax TFC
03-03-2018, 02:52 PM
Aketxe has a canon of a left foot. No one else on this team has a shot that hard

Ajax TFC
03-03-2018, 02:54 PM
And Giovinco trying to dribble straight into three yellow shirts sums up his game.

Edit: Passing the ball into the two yellow shirts in the middle on the breakaway also sums up this game

Inklink
03-03-2018, 02:56 PM
Big boys have been trash today.

James17930
03-03-2018, 02:59 PM
I guess it's going to take the new players longer to integrate into the team than we thought.

ag futbol
03-03-2018, 03:02 PM
I feel like the midfield needs one of Vazquez or Aketxe... one of Osorio or Delgado. The balance this game was all wrong.

VDW needed to get forward more often as well.

Yohan
03-03-2018, 03:03 PM
It felt like another preseason game in terms of intensity and decision making. The sharpness we expect from this TFC squad is just not there.

ag futbol
03-03-2018, 03:05 PM
Give some credit to Columbus, they’ve been pretty good.

Ajax TFC
I guess it's going to take the new players longer to integrate into the team than we thought.
Going to take longer for the whole team to get up to speed than we hoped. No one has been sharp.

Delgado has been the tidiest player all game since he came on

notthesun
I feel like the midfield needs one of Vazquez or Aketxe... one of Osorio or Delgado. The balance this game was all wrong.

I would tend to agree. I was a little skeptical of Vanney's comments that Aketxe can play the 10, 8, and the wing. Seemed like he was saying he can just toss him in anywhere and it's all good.

But this is also just the first game, we're trying to integrate everyone into the team still, and a crappy pitch... so some patience is required here.

James17930
03-03-2018, 03:06 PM
Seba keeps going down pretty easily looking for fouls on the edge of the box. The ref isn't buying it though.

oldtraffordPEI
03-03-2018, 03:08 PM
Well, that was shit.

On the other hand I hope this is just what they need to dig deep for Tigres. First time we had this lineup, lots of tweaking to do.

James17930
03-03-2018, 03:09 PM
Hopefully that's our 'one loss of the year at home' for the year.

nonc
03-03-2018, 03:12 PM
Good thing Altidore is a playoff performer because he is quite bad a fair amount of the time, entire team layed an egg today though. Not totally unexpected.

Very Aron Winter era type loss. :tongue:

Hamilton_Red
03-03-2018, 03:15 PM
Bono - 6
VdW - 5
Zavaletta- 3
Mavinga - 4
Moor - 6
Bradley - 4
Vasquez - 4
Aketxke - 7
Osorio - 6
Altidore - 2
Giovinco - 4
Delgado - 6
Hasler - ?

Brutal way to treat fans on flag hoisting day.

notthesun
03-03-2018, 03:16 PM
Eh. Not our best, clearly. Vanney wanted to integrate the new guys into the team, but I do wonder if we just started the same CCL XI if we might've won. I get why he wants to get everyone involved early though.

Early season MLS really isn't that important so I don't mind Vanney tinkering. We have some stuff to figure out and I trust that he will. Remember, we won 1 game in our first 6 last year.

ensco
03-03-2018, 03:17 PM
They scored two nice goals. We were snakebit. Vanney did a lot of squad rotation.

It happens.

BenRhodes23
03-03-2018, 03:21 PM
Let's try to calm down a little bit. Obviously it was a bad result but it's the first game of the season. Columbus were decent and deserved the win as they were more organised than us and executed their chances. Aketxe linked up well with the players around him so that is promising for the CCL and the games coming up.

All this means is that our first win will come in Montreal :scarf:

shwade
03-03-2018, 03:24 PM
Yeah gonna need some time to gel as a team. VdW a bit shaky obviously...but more so defensively.
Vazquez needs the weather to hit 20 degrees. Altidore was invisible.
Mavinga and Zavaleta was surprising...should've been Moor or Hagglund with Mavinga.
Also surprised with the midfield..didn't seem like much defensive cover - Delgado provides that as a balance to Vazquez and Aketxe.

Oh well...chemistry will take some time but it's worrying for the Tigres match.

General Woolfe
03-03-2018, 03:26 PM
I’m not going to panic. Columbus played very well today, came with a game plan and executed it very well. Whilst their first goal was preventable, and Bradley, Zavaletta and Bono need to take a good look at their involvement there, their second was a peach and you can only admire goals like that rather than point fingers.

We quickly need to realize we have a target on our back and every side is going to up their game against the champions. We need to be sharp and focused for every minute of every game. Nothing short of 110% will do from the Reds this season. It will take time to integrate our new signings and find out where they are at their most effective and that may explain some of the indecisiveness in our attacking play today. However players need to take responsibility when the chance presents itself and not pass the responsibility to a colleague. I though our decision making in the final third today was extremely poor, and along with a lackadaisical effort in midfield, the reason for the poor result.

As disappointing as today’s game was there is a long way to go before the prizes are handed out. Maybe this afternoon was a reminder that record points totals happen once in lifetime and can’t be expected every year. I still believe we have a very strong side and are the match of every side in the league. A second MLS cup is still a very much achievable goal. Perhaps we were distracted by the up coming game on Wednesday night today, but the CCL is a red herring for me, as there is still a huge disparity between La Liga MX and MLS despite the advances our league has made in recent years. The real prize for me is the MLS Cup, and if we are to repeat we need to learn from today’s defeat bringing greater intensity to our play and better decision making in the final third. It’s been a disappointing start but there’s a long way to go and the sooner we can get back the directness, cohesion, and fluency of last season then our title defence will start for real.

gracos
03-03-2018, 03:30 PM
Time will tell if we can learn from these mistakes but hoping for a close game against Tigres

ManUtd4ever
03-03-2018, 03:36 PM
I give them a pass. They were flat today and probably looking past this game towards the Tigres match.

Oldtimer
03-03-2018, 03:41 PM
If we go with the diamond, we are playing into their hands.

You called it.

burlington Red
03-03-2018, 03:46 PM
Let's try to calm down a little bit. Obviously it was a bad result but it's the first game of the season. Columbus were decent and deserved the win as they were more organised than us and executed their chances. Aketxe linked up well with the players around him so that is promising for the CCL and the games coming up.

All this means is that our first win will come in Montreal :scarf:

He did but there was no defensive cover at all.

Davenport
03-03-2018, 03:52 PM
Bono - 6
VdW - 5
Zavaletta- 3
Mavinga - 4
Moor - 6
Bradley - 4
Vasquez - 4
Aketxke - 7
Osorio - 6
Altidore - 2
Giovinco - 4
Delgado - 6
Hasler - ?

Moor a 6 and he didn't play ! 7 is a bit generous for the new Spaniard....he gave the ball away a lot. He did hit the bar (the only thing he did), but then Vanney immediately took him off for a defender at 2-0 down with 15 to go. Joke.

Hamilton_Red
03-03-2018, 03:59 PM
Oops - Morrow.

Davenport
03-03-2018, 04:10 PM
Oops - Morrow.

Yes, number two, Morrow.

Any other players in the game present or past with numbers related to their names ?

OgtheDim
03-03-2018, 04:14 PM
Giovinco has a point here.

https://twitter.com/JohnMolinaro/status/970043027153592320?s=19

I enjoyed the trophy thing but the guy who comes from the team that expects to win has it right.

burlington Red
03-03-2018, 04:15 PM
Bono - 6
VdW - 5
Zavaletta- 3
Mavinga - 4
Moor - 6
Bradley - 4
Vasquez - 4
Aketxke - 7
Osorio - 6
Altidore - 2
Giovinco - 4
Delgado - 6
Hasler - ?

Exactly. One of them days. We've fans giving ratings who didn't watch the game.

Hamilton_Red
03-03-2018, 04:20 PM
Who was that?

ag futbol
03-03-2018, 05:00 PM
Okay, Atlanta is losing 4-0 at halftime... I feel a little better, lol

Areathrasher
03-03-2018, 05:04 PM
180 mins against Colorado and Columbus. Zero goals scored.

They need to get their heads out of their arse otherwise Tigres are gonna humiliate them.

If they want to be held to the standard of greatest MLS side of all time..."it's early" and other such bullshit excuses arent good enough.

OgtheDim
03-03-2018, 05:22 PM
I remain unconvinced that the 4-4-2 diamond is necessary or preferred over the 3-5-2. Yes, we beat a team called Seattle with it - a team who gave up the midfield & didn't press. It hasn't worked for me in the first 3 games. We are a very very good team technically & these crap fields are not helping.

Thoughts on the players

Altidore is starting the season slow - that miss on a breakaway was shocking. He's finding good spots & the goals will come.

Giovinco playing really well - as usual looks for the free kicks, but that's just his thing.

Auro made a rookie MLS move by stopping one play in the second half thinking a foul was going to happen - fans called him on that. He's not the best positioning defence wise in the diamond as he tends to drift inside. We can't play both him & Osorio & Vasquez in a diamond.

VDW - not as bad a start to MLS as Mavinga but equally frustrating. Guy didn't advance forward - he played farther back then Beitashour. Showed flashes of interesting stuff but he looks off the pace. Athletically better then most RB's in this league - he needs to work harder in training.

Zavs can get beaten for pace on the over the top ball. He's not a "steady head" at the back yet. Timid in possession. Way too much back passes to the keeper. The team needed Moor back there to keep them calm. Actually, the team needs a sub who can play a Moor like steady rock CB.

Mavinga got caught on a few more plays then we've seen before. Nice to see him move forward in the second half. He passes better then Hagglund & his positioning was good.

Morrow was Morrow. Steady in defence. Had lots of room down his side. Did what he needed to do.

Bradley works so darn hard - not good on the first goal though. I'm not sure about him dropping so far and so deep for so long.

Osorio played really well I thought. Good on the ball and took up spaces. BUT, he can't play with Auro & Vasquez. He isn't as good coming back as Delgado.

Vasquez was not so good - the pitch didn't help but some basic passes for him just didn't happen.

Bono - so used to him making the one save a game to keep a clean sheet, seeing him not get that one was well...typical of the day.

Not going to worry. Even if we lose to Montreal in their home opener, we are too good a team for this to continue for long.

SoccMan2
03-03-2018, 05:34 PM
Sorry but VDW was crap and even athletically looks week, he played a role in that first Columbus goal, but having said that it was his first game so I will give him the benefit of the doubt.

ensco
03-03-2018, 05:36 PM
I wish we had cashed one or two of the 5 good chances we had in the second half. Then we would feel better.

Hamilton_Red
03-03-2018, 05:44 PM
I agree with the 4-4-2 change. A good team needs to be able to switch between 3-5-2. 4-4-2 and 4-5-1 to adapt to different conditions. There is no one perfect system. To play Tigres away with two strikers would be insane.

Thomas
03-03-2018, 05:44 PM
Actually, it was a pretty decent turn out one the game was underway.

burlington Red
03-03-2018, 05:46 PM
He got his due credit last season but vanney was horribly out coached today. Early days n I'm sure he'll adapt.

ensco
03-03-2018, 05:56 PM
Annnnnnd.... here we go.

So.... Gio hit the inside post, Auro couldn't fire into an open net, Gio had a brain cramp on a breakaway, Aketxe rang the crossbar, Altidore didn't round the keeper but shot wide ... all in the last 25 minutes.

But no no no no no, the lesson is... Vanney was shit! It's all this subtle crap about formations, that Vanney COMPLETELY BLEW.

This is effing hilarious.

OgtheDim
03-03-2018, 06:07 PM
Actually, it was a pretty decent turn out one the game was underway.

Apparently there was a new (?) rule that the don't let people through security during the anthems.

jloome
03-03-2018, 06:10 PM
Annnnnnd.... here we go.

So.... Gio hit the inside post, Auro couldn't fire into an open net, Gio had a brain cramp on a breakaway, Aketxe rang the crossbar, Altidore didn't round the keeper but shot wide ... all in the last 25 minutes.

But no no no no no, the lesson is... Vanney was shit! It's all this subtle crap about formations, that Vanney COMPLETELY BLEW.

They played like they were looking ahead to Tigres for 2/3 of the match. Don't think formation or coaching really had anything to do with it.

I'm somewhat worried about the idea of Zavaleta starting against the Mexican clubs. His inability to deal with a faster player with a longer stride was badly exposed on that through ball (albeit, a great ball).

MightyDM
03-03-2018, 06:16 PM

Right now, Two of Osorio and Delgado. One of Vazquez and Aketxe. One of Auro. Zero of Van der Weil.

Initial B
03-03-2018, 06:24 PM
Well, there's the wakeup call. I'm glad it came now, and hopefully vdW will take this to mind and show a change in mindset like Mavinga did after his first game against Atlanta last year.

I'll take this loss if it means a win against Tigres on Wednesday.

T.O TILL I DIE
03-03-2018, 06:42 PM
Sat in 117 for todays match aside from the terrible quality from our squad TRN was twice as worse. There drums are extremely loud , drummed the same beat the whole match. The south end seemed disorganised and was off tempo the whole match due to those drums. I felt like i wasnt at a football match terrible experience in that section and will never buy there again. 117 has potential to be great like rpb and Inbreiatti, sad such groups (TRN) rather create ruckus than involve the south end together in unison.

RealG-TFC
03-03-2018, 07:07 PM
Well, there's the wakeup call. I'm glad it came now, and hopefully vdW will take this to mind and show a change in mindset like Mavinga did after his first game against Atlanta last year.

I'll take this loss if it means a win against Tigres on Wednesday.

Pretty spot on. As Giovinco said: It's better this problem came in the first game than the last,” added Giovinco. “We have to change mentality." (https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2018/03/03/tfc-captain-michael-bradley-no-place-look-ourselves-crew-sc-loss)

I'm glad we got punished for our lackluster play and that we played an organized squad before we play Tigres.

burlington Red
03-03-2018, 07:22 PM
Annnnnnd.... here we go.

Tactics were decent going forward but defensively they were a shambles. Don't forgot they could easily have scored more as well. We hit the bar through individual skill. They were opening us up

Yohan
03-03-2018, 07:38 PM
Let's hope that the boys learned their lesson from this one. You cannot afford to take any game lightly in MLS. (emphasized by beating Atlanta took at Houston)

OgtheDim
03-03-2018, 07:38 PM
Was that a #savethecrew ad on the hoardings in the south end?

Hamilton_Red
03-03-2018, 08:22 PM
Annnnnnd.... here we go.

The second goal was the telling one regarding tactics - Crew came through the middle of our midfield with no pressure and passed the ball through the middle of our centre backs. Beautifull pass badly defended by Mavinga especially. It’s fair to criticize the tactics. I am sure Vanney learned a lot. But ultimately the players were flat and there is no excuses for being blanked at home.

RedsYNWA
03-03-2018, 08:51 PM
Bono - 6
VdW - 5 (3)
Zavaletta- 3 (2)
Mavinga - 4 (2)
Morrow - 6 (3)
Bradley - 4 (0)
Vasquez - 4 (0)
Aketxke - 7 (5)
Osorio - 6 (3)
Altidore - 2 (1)
Giovinco - 4 (1)
Delgado - 6 (6)
Hasler - ?

HMM

not impressed

RedsYNWA
03-03-2018, 08:57 PM
The Piss Stains came into our house & soiled it..END OF

ZERO GOALS the last 2 home games...when was the last time that happened

Tigres will EAT US if we play like this... enough of stroking egos of the best team that was

I could understand this result IF we plays our B team...but we did not

You are only as good as your recent results... Wake the F up

Davenport
03-03-2018, 09:06 PM
Apparently there was a new (?) rule that the don't let people through security during the anthems.

So ban the anthems then. These are not international matches.

Detroit_TFC
03-03-2018, 09:24 PM
That was a drag. It was difficult to watch it after a while.

If it administers the needed wake up call, then perhaps it was in the long term best interest.

Auzzy
03-03-2018, 10:25 PM
Columbus definitely created problems with the high press (as did Colorado in the 2nd leg). Tigres & other teams will learn from that, and do the same. I thought Columbus really dropped off in the 2nd half though, and the game was there for the taking, at least to eke out a tie, with better finishing on a bunch of chances.

One thing I haven't seen mentioned here: often there was just no movement off the ball. Zavaleta, Mavinga and Bono tried a number of useless long passes, but they were hardly to blame for that: their teammates were frequently presenting them with no options. So many times guys were just standing around and watching. You need really smart movement & good passing to beat a high press.

Yohan
03-03-2018, 11:08 PM
https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2018/03/03/warshaw-one-game-columbus-crew-sc-draw-blueprint-throttle-tfc

good tactical analysis of the game

Defoe
03-03-2018, 11:22 PM
https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2018/03/03/warshaw-one-game-columbus-crew-sc-draw-blueprint-throttle-tfc

"Columbus might well have created the template for how to beat the team that returns much of the roster that completed the best season in league history"

yeah, until TFC adapts! This won't work twice. Vanney is smarter

-

What I did learn from this game was how important Delgado is. Also Auro JR should be our RB... It's going to be difficult for VDW to take starting minutes from Osorio, Deglado or Auro Jr. I wonder how Vanney will handle this.

EL DUQUE'----'
03-03-2018, 11:53 PM
Wake up call...back to reality... We are good but not untouchable. Wednesday will be a 3-0 win tfc

Auzzy
03-04-2018, 12:31 AM
I figured it out: today's game was a ruse, to get Tigres to send their 2nd-string players and avoid the extra travel & cold weather on Wednesday for their starters. ;)

tfcfans
03-04-2018, 03:37 AM
Ummmm, yes that sucked to watch but if we are already freaking out after Game 1 of the MLS season, then we need to take a step back and chill out a bit --- they had literally the greatest season in league history last year and went out and signed (arguably) even better players to replace the ones we had last year (we can't exactly complain that our owners aren't spending money to try to win, when we have the highest payroll in the league by a wide margin), and our reaction is the "sky is falling"?!.....frankly I believe they have put all of their focus on the Champions League games against Mexico in the belief that they are going to show that they are as good as the best Mexican teams in this region, I personally don't think that was the right move and the focus should have been on today (and MLS games in general), but I think they've earned the right to focus on that tournament for a week or two (or however long it lasts), after what they gave us all in 2017..........FYI - Atlanta got smoked 4-0 today --- does anyone honestly believe that Toronto and Atlanta won't be playoff teams by the end of October? Last year we tied a bunch of home games to start the year and somehow we "survived" that to be the best team ever.....I would hope the last two years of performing when it mattered most would cut this team a bit of slack from us on March 3rd in a 7+ month season --- when this team is out of a playoff spot in September then I will start to worry.....take a deep breath everyone, we will be fine......and no, I personally don't expect them to beat Tigres in a two leg series (that's not an indictment on us, but more of a statement of how strong I believe the opponent is), and if they do, great, but if they don't that will be indicative of nothing towards the rest of the MLS season.....deep breaths everyone......:)

Oldtimer
03-04-2018, 07:26 AM

Someone was going to figure it out sooner or later. It will be interesting to see how Vanney counters this.

ensco
03-04-2018, 08:21 AM
^Wait. Did they stop watching at halftime?

That analysis describes what happened in the first half. But not the second.

Vanney et al figured it out. By forcing the play forward down the middle through Bradley. At the risk of repeating myself (but when has that ever stopped anyone here), we blew them wide open in the second half -but just couldn't score.

I think they also maybe handled the cold a little better. We muffed our chances, they took a couple of theirs beautifully. Plus we did some lineup rotation, at a cost to chemistry. That's all.

OgtheDim
03-04-2018, 08:50 AM
Its Bobby Warshaw - he's not really a tactician kinda analyst.

I'm with ensco on this one - we began to slice through them in the second half & better decisions/finishing would have had 3 or more.

TFC_905
03-04-2018, 09:02 AM
anyone know the words to the song we trying to get going early in the game? I think inebriatti were signing it when we were chanting 'when the reds go marching in.'
We started with this song on the Wednesday night game.

CBTFC
03-04-2018, 10:27 AM
Ensco summed it up (sarcastically) well. We were simply unlucky to not finish our chances. Simple as that.

I actually feel no negativity or concern from yesterday's match, and maybe Seba is right in thinking the whole pre game trophy pep rally was a bit too much.

Hopefully yesterday humbled us more than anything.

On to Tigres!

DinamoTFC
03-04-2018, 11:28 AM
I think yesterdays positive in the loss is good mentally for the team. Makes them a little bit more focused and more serious. Gave vanney some information on what a working and what isn't. We made many mistakes and poor passes for sure. But also made many very good chances that should have been converted or would have been 10 games into the season. Not a horrible loss at all but just a bit of a wake up call.

Hopefully tigres also gets a bit cocky based on the result and plays less than their ability or leaves out a couple players.

Fort York Redcoat
03-04-2018, 12:04 PM
Yep. The tape tells it. A tale of Two Halves. It took Toronto a half to get in gear but to play like the second half on Wednesday will be a good start. It's too bad the result. This was just a warmup for Tigres.

But that said wasn't that match the last time Columbus visits Toronto in Regular season play...ever? Hmmph.

rocktml
03-04-2018, 12:44 PM
What the hell happen in the supporters section yesterday???

3-4 different supporter groups chanting 3-4 different songs at the same time.

Time to get on the same page boys and girls. ONE supporters section all united!

David_Oliveira
03-04-2018, 01:04 PM
There were sanctions imposed on two groups. We were approached to show solidarity and didn't wave flags or use our drum during the first half.

What the hell happen in the supporters section yesterday???

3-4 different supporter groups chanting 3-4 different songs at the same time.

Time to get on the same page boys and girls. ONE supporters section all united!

notthesun
03-04-2018, 01:49 PM
I do think our 2nd half was better but game state matters - Columbus does not sit back that much if they don't score their 2nd goal.

James17930
03-04-2018, 06:17 PM
I do think our 2nd half was better but game state matters - Columbus does not sit back that much if they don't score their 2nd goal.

That's a good point.

And hopefully it'll make the new guys realize that every game really is a grind – it's not going to be a cakewalk.

Everyone remember Mavinga's first game last year? He was way too casual, and it directly led to Atlanta's two goals. If anyone feels vdW or Aketxe weren't into the game enough, hopefully losing will light more of a fire under them.

notthesun
03-04-2018, 07:23 PM
Some perspective: the Red Bulls had a bye, but every other MLS team that played in CCL mid-week dropped points on opening weekend. We lost at home, Seattle lost at home to LAFC, and Dallas rescued a 1-1 draw at home with an 85th equalizer against RSL.

SoccMan2
03-04-2018, 09:07 PM
So we have the home opener after a winning MLS Cup basically the biggest prize in the league, imagine the home openers of the three other teams the leafs, Jays or Raptors if and when they win their championships it would be the hardest ticket to get, but TFC yesterday and their home opener after a championship season, no buzz, tickets are hard to even give away , stadium is full of empty seats maybe really 22000 really there in a close to 30 000 seat stadium, it just shows how niche this team really is compared to the other three.

TrebleMaker
03-04-2018, 09:13 PM
Van Der Viel needed more time to adjust.
We definitely can't have Zavaleta out there with Mavinga without Moor there.
There was a set play in the 2nd half where Bradley had to flag Zavaleta and call him into the play, very concerned when Zavaleta is in there.
The wind played tricks all day and if we had gotten to halftime at 0-0, the result would have gone our way, oh well.
Vanney said there is plenty the coaching staff can take away from the game and I feel Wednesday will be a much more impressive TFC team that we are used to watching.
Have to think both Moor and Hagglund get back in the lineup and probably Delgado gets back in there.

Fort York Redcoat
03-04-2018, 11:47 PM
Niche is a word. So is different. I want to say more but it will only get sarcastic. Why you want to compare to decades old franchises so desperately I do not understand. I get your impatience for history but..

03-05-2018, 07:55 AM
To start last year, TFC won 1 of their first 6 games.

TFC Tifoso
03-05-2018, 08:17 AM
Annnnnnd.... here we go.

I think you're on the money....Saturday's result is being a bit overblown....someone else pointed out here that our team last year won 1 of the first 6.....not worried here....

and your mentions above were all in the 2nd half....
about the 1st half, I don't know if anyone noticed, and I don't know his name, but Crew's CB #17 made 3-4 last ditch stops by himself on TFC balls in the box in the opening 45.....it was unreal.....

CBTFC
03-05-2018, 09:06 AM
Ah yes, the guy with The Weeknd hair. I believe that's Abubakar (sp?)

Guy was a complete beast out there for the Crew.

TFC Tifoso
03-05-2018, 09:19 AM
Ah yes, the guy with The Weeknd hair. I believe that's Abubakar (sp?)

Guy was a complete beast out there for the Crew.

that's the guy....he had a great game.....

StokeciTFC
03-05-2018, 10:33 AM
I wondered yesterday if VdW’s lacklustre performance might in part have been attributed to the tragic death of Davide Astori, but the timing is out. Both in that Astori died after our game and they also never crossed paths at Cagliari.

RIP Asturi.

T-boy
03-05-2018, 10:59 AM
There were sanctions imposed on two groups. We were approached to show solidarity and didn't wave flags or use our drum during the first half.

I know this isn't a RPB issue, but the lack of flags really improved my game-day experience on Saturday! There were no complaints in 113, nobody throwing stuff at the flag wavers, no hissy fits between fans arguing about the flags, just pure football-watching!

OgtheDim
03-05-2018, 11:19 AM
https://www.thenutmegnews.com/current/2018/3/5/defending-champion-toronto-fc-on-pace-to-miss-playoffs

Canary10
03-05-2018, 11:24 AM
It would be nice if the new guys had a bit more time to bed in. Everything just looked off in the first half. I'd rather see the newer guys subbed in in the second half of games as much as possible and stick with as close to our last year's lineup as we can for a bit. I realize we have the CL to worry about and maybe Vanney is trying to speed things along.

T-boy
03-05-2018, 12:03 PM
It would be nice if the new guys had a bit more time to bed in. Everything just looked off in the first half. I'd rather see the newer guys subbed in in the second half of games as much as possible and stick with as close to our last year's lineup as we can for a bit. I realize we have the CL to worry about and maybe Vanney is trying to speed things along.

Completely agreed with this. It was the new guys who just didn't jive with the rest of the team at all - not their fault, but if you have less of a pre-season than everybody else its just going to take time to bed-in. Akatxe was fine individually, but often his passing wasn't linking up anybody. Delgado should have played instead and he would have known his team-mates so much better.

Other than Beiteshour we can play almost the ending line-up from last season. I would start this season as we ended, I don't see any reason not to?