PDA

View Full Version : 'Pure' TFC fans

StokeciTFC
02-23-2018, 09:37 AM
It's noticeable from user names, jerseys worn at games and the chatter on this forum that many TFC fans have another footballing allegiance other than our very own TFC. It's not surprising given the nature of this city and country and I believe it adds to the mix that so many different supporting cultures are present at BMO field.

Just out of interest though, who out there is a 'pure' TFC fan with no love or support for any other team? I can't add myself to that list having been born and bred in Stoke-on-Trent, England and was raised a Stoke fan from birth.

I do have to say that TFC has probably overtaken Stoke as my primary love now, which is something my old friends in the 'old country' find difficult to understand. Success is obviously a part of that with Stoke struggling at the moment (and for many decades past) and they have never given me the incredible feeling of seeing your club lift major trophies - maybe that makes me fickle, I don't know.

It'd be interesting to see how much of our core support is TFC and TFC only.

Wagner
02-23-2018, 09:40 AM
interesting Discussion.

I do find myself watching less in terms of other leagues.

TFC is giving me what I need lately.

urdiub
02-23-2018, 09:47 AM
I used to watch TFC and Dortmund religiously (never missed a game), however since starting full-time out of university I feel like I only have time to properly follow one team so I'd say my heart fully belongs to TFC. Working during the day makes it so painful to miss CL games.

I also feel like this has carried over to my following of other Toronto sports teams. I was crazy with following the Leafs, Raptors and Jays however I only keep up with the Raptors as much as TFC now, with the Leafs closely behind and the Jays just forgotten in my mind at this point.

Kamp Berg
02-23-2018, 09:48 AM
I support KNVB as a national allegiance(Dutch father) but stopped watching anything but TFC in 2014

Graeme
02-23-2018, 09:53 AM
TFC only, for me!

BenRhodes23
02-23-2018, 10:00 AM
I was also born in England and watch whenever my beloved Arsenal plays but I've been watching TFC religiously for a few years now. Arsenal is frustrating and TFC have definitely become my primary focus/ "main" team

Dv23
02-23-2018, 10:02 AM
Always enjoyed/played soccer, but never had any particular allegiance to a team. Then TFC came around.

https://i.imgur.com/aIjBvyH.gifv

molenshtain
02-23-2018, 10:05 AM
I barely watch any other league now but MLS. I was a avid watcher of the premier league and serie A and watch a bunch of random South american teams back when the channels were bundled like that. I was dumb enough to get YNWA tattoed on me (It's a great song and a family thing too get off my back).

If I'm talking to a Eurosnob I'd identify myself as a Liverpool supporter just to get the argument out of the way. Otherwise it's almost all us or maybe another 2-3 MLS games a week. I watched Istanbul live in 05' as an avid and at the time die hard Liverpool supporter but that doesn't even come close to matching how I felt after 5-2 MTL last year or the Final this year.

Joe Kool
02-23-2018, 10:13 AM
I don't think you will find many soccer fans that only follow TFC since MLS hasn't been in Toronto for that long. Maybe as the younger people grow up with it being around them there is more of a chance but even my 13 year old who has been watching TFC for his entire youth still admires the big named players and teams across the pond and follows his favourites. I guess me following EPL, La Liga and SPL as well as MLS for his whole life had an influence but he plays soccer as well 3-4 times a week with his team and all they talk about is Messi, Ronaldo and Neymar among other stars in UEFA.

Tunnelred
02-23-2018, 10:25 AM
Yeah, I think the team hasn’t been around long enough to have ‘pure’ fans as such, but I’d imagine that changing maybe 5-10 years down the line. Especially if they keep up their current commitment to winning + with the league growing. It’s great to see.

I found myself pretty much all in on TFC as soon as I moved to Toronto in January 2012. Not being able to watch my team (Bristol City) on TV probably helped a lot with the decision to go all on TFC.

CBTFC
02-23-2018, 10:27 AM
There are some football cultures who believe that you're only a true fan if you can see the stadium from your bedroom window.

Detroit_TFC
02-23-2018, 10:34 AM
I'd say I'm an oddball (others probably say so too) but I'm deeply, emotionally attached to three teams - TFC, Manchester City and Detroit City. My personal situation allows me that level of investment between the three. My interest in TFC predates MCFC (from 2007 on) and DCFC (founded in 2012), so I'm in for the long haul (sorely tested plenty of times along the way). Love of those three cities is at the core, just expressed through fb.

portu
02-23-2018, 10:48 AM
Before I started following TFC in 2012 (great year to start supporting I know) I'd mostly just follow my favourite players whatever team they were on (Nani, Cristiano, etc). Only teams I'd watch every single time they played were Poland and Portugal (parents countries).

lintberg
02-23-2018, 11:03 AM
I grew up in London, England as an Arsenal Supporter.

That said..... TFC is the first team I have seriously supported and attended all home games for...have been a SSH since day one and have only missed 2 home games to date in all competitions!! Love the Reds first and foremost...Forever TFC!!

Kaz
02-23-2018, 11:22 AM
I literally follow no other team, league, or even sport. I started watching MLS in 2007 with no real interest in sports. I really found the game interesting, and have never found other leagues really all that interesting. I find watching a B squad of Man City play the best QPR have to offer to be unexciting as there is that much of a difference between teams. I've watched various mid table, high table and low table games as well.

(I did the run of Montreal the first year they were in the Champions league)

I have been to more TFC games than I have been to any other sporting events in my life time combined Including being dragged to A Jays vs Twins game in Minnesota in the late 80s. As well as a Jays game at the Ex and Skydome respectively. A Winnipeg Jets game against the Kings in the 80s. a Buffalo Bisons game a few Welland minor league baseball games and a couple OHL and Jr A games.

I have watched as many TFC games as I can, I yell and scream enough to embrass my father lol. I have been there live when Mista scored his only goal for us. I was there to see Nice Labrocca score a wind goal. Took friends to see the 2010 MLS cup. Got to see the 2016 Eastern Conference final with Montreal. (MLSE and BMO field actually arranged it so I could get in just before the gates opened so I could go straight to my seat due to anxiety issues.. though as I ended up leaving Niagara over an hour later than intended) and Skydome for the tie with the Galaxy. I will be there on Tuesday to watch us beat Colorado.

I may not be a SSH as I don't have the ability to get to games that often but I'm a fairly pure fan. lol

Couchy81
02-23-2018, 11:33 AM
Toronto til I die baby! I do not support another club. My uncles follow Sunderland, my dad follows Newcastle, I don't really care about either since I was born here not in England. I've been following TFC from the beginning and that will never change. 100% TFC. I only watch random EPL games on the weekends with my breakfast.

ensco
02-23-2018, 11:53 AM
Interesting topic.

I am pretty much TFC all the way now, but if they someday go back to treating fans and the product like Teachers/Peddie did, then I'll dial that back. Losing per se won't shake me loose, but disrespect will.

Others will disagree, but I have chosen to be a bit transactional now. Unconditional love is just a setup for abuse in modern sports.

Primavera
02-23-2018, 11:58 AM
Outside of World Cup and Euros, TFC is the only soccer I'll make time to watch.

flatpicker
02-23-2018, 12:17 PM
Watching English football has been a Saturday morning ritual of mine for a long time.
But it's the league I'm watching, and not a particular team (I just cheer for the underdog).

I have attended a couple Bristol Rovers games because they are my family's local club,
but I don't really follow their results through the season.

Toronto is the only soccer team I have ever fully supported or cheered for.

GlenM
02-23-2018, 12:19 PM
I follow and support other teams in EPL\Europe etc ie.. Arsenal, but for me TFC is Toronto Home and that's why I'll go to games and watch.

I played Soccer in Pickering when I was a kid and I made it to the Robbie Tournament one year.

I love the way Soccer has come a long way on different levels in Canada.

I support Canada when they play as well as England for example.

There's still alot of work to do but seeing a player like Hagglund from Pickering makes me smile and know hey, he's from where I lived when I was kid for awhile and he made it to TFC.

But honestly I love soccer\football on all levels but Yes I'm a pure TFC fan.

GlenM

molenshtain
02-23-2018, 12:25 PM
Hagglund is from ohio.

Only player on the team who currently is from Pickering I believe is Jay Chapman. I could be wrong but the rest of our Toronto lads are scarborough/Vaughan/Missisauga products.

Your point stands though. Osorio played for my youth club. Ashtone Morgan and I went to high-school together. It's incredibility humbling and makes my support of the team so much more personal. It's a great feeling.

Ponderosa
02-23-2018, 12:33 PM
I barely watch any other league now but MLS. I was a avid watcher of the premier league and serie A and watch a bunch of random South american teams back when the channels were bundled like that. I was dumb enough to get YNWA tattoed on me (It's a great song and a family thing too get off my back).

If I'm talking to a Eurosnob I'd identify myself as a Liverpool supporter just to get the argument out of the way. Otherwise it's almost all us or maybe another 2-3 MLS games a week. I watched Istanbul live in 05' as an avid and at the time die hard Liverpool supporter but that doesn't even come close to matching how I felt after 5-2 MTL last year or the Final this year.

Had always had it on my mind that I'd get a car plate of YNWA the year they win the League- but TFC won it before they did.

I bawled my eyes out every day leading up to Cup final and when the final whistle blew I bawled some more. There is an undeniable connection to a home town team you stand with week after week that just can't compare to watching on the tele with an ocean between you. I always say LFC was my first love, but TFC my til-death-do-us-part!

(mind you...I'm sentimentally a little green-eyed for the that YNWA tat!)

Afra
02-23-2018, 12:40 PM
I have teams in every league that I do not mind seeing win but there is not a team on the planet I would be conflicted with who to cheer for if they played TFC - Toronto 'til I die.

kodiakTFC
02-23-2018, 12:53 PM
interesting Discussion.

I do find myself watching less in terms of other leagues.

TFC is giving me what I need lately.

I can relate to this. I am still a big Liverpool fan but not nearly at the level I had been growing up. I only have so much time and once you've been going to games (home and away) for 11 years, your allegiances shift dramatically. I never watch the Leafs or Jays anyone, however I have started watching and attending Toronto Wolfpack games.

Initial B
02-23-2018, 12:56 PM
TFC is my first love, but I have to support the Ottawa Fury on principle. I thought that would be big a me.

TFC Tifoso
02-23-2018, 12:58 PM
great topic, and while this my sound like a cop out, there are 2 teams I love equally and unconditionally for different reasons.....Juventus and TFC....I can never and will never pick just 1 out of them....

Juve:
the team that made me love this sport when I was 9 years old.
Memories of going with my Dad to the Italian club in our area so we could watch the games, since the only way to get them at the time was via satellite dish.
First player I ever idolised....Roby Baggio.

TFC:
my hometown, big-league team.
Friendships that I've made with my fellow supporters in 127 (no longer, unfortunately)
a more intimate connection to the team.
Facing ridicule from family and friends for supporting the team through the lean years and then receiving congratulations for the same people from the glory of last year.
Having an avenue to soon make similar memories with my kids (they're a bit small still), as I did with my Dad and Juve.

Red CB Toronto
02-23-2018, 01:19 PM
To simply put I am put pure TFC to the heart. I grew up a baseball guy in this city, my family had Blue Jays season tickets for years including the World Series years. Really did not start following the beautiful game until the Reds came to town outside of watching the World Cup every four years including attending a game in 1994. Since then I have fell in love with the game, having traveled to see the Reds on the road over 25 times while also going to numerous games overseas on a couple trips. It has really taken hold of me ( :

StokeciTFC
02-23-2018, 01:22 PM
great topic, and while this my sound like a cop out, there are 2 teams I love equally and unconditionally for different reasons.....Juventus and TFC....I can never and will never pick just 1 out of them....

Juve:
the team that made me love this sport when I was 9 years old.
Memories of going with my Dad to the Italian club in our area so we could watch the games, since the only way to get them at the time was via satellite dish.
First player I ever idolised....Roby Baggio.

TFC:
my hometown, big-league team.
Friendships that I've made with my fellow supporters in 127 (no longer, unfortunately)
a more intimate connection to the team.
Facing ridicule from family and friends for supporting the team through the lean years and then receiving congratulations for the same people from the glory of last year.
Having an avenue to soon make similar memories with my kids (they're a bit small still), as I did with my Dad and Juve.

Not a cop out at all and very similar situation to my own although I never had a Baggio to idolize at Stoke. Closest to an idol for me was Adrian Heath, a local hero. It's weird seeing him in the dugout when he comes to town but as he's nowhere the manager compared to the player he was, it's usually a guaranteed three points.

TFC07
02-23-2018, 01:26 PM
I only support TFC and CMNT. As for other sports, I am big basketball fan (Raptors and Canadian men national team) as well. I guess being born and raised in Toronto makes it hard for me to support non-Toronto teams.

However, I will be keeping a close eye on CPL coming up next year.

TFC Tifoso
02-23-2018, 01:36 PM
Not a cop out at all and very similar situation to my own although I never had a Baggio to idolize at Stoke. Closest to an idol for me was Adrian Heath, a local hero. It's weird seeing him in the dugout when he comes to town but as he's nowhere the manager compared to the player he was, it's usually a guaranteed three points.

I hear ya!....I just seen a few responses about how people have followed their original team less over the years, and more for TFC, but I couldn't do that.
Juve was the first team in the sport that brought to me big joy, and also reduced me to tears....and I can never lose that.

Adrian Heath....you mean the current Minnesota coach?

StokeciTFC
02-23-2018, 01:42 PM
I hear ya!....I just seen a few responses about how people have followed their original team less over the years, and more for TFC, but I couldn't do that.
Juve was the first team in the sport that brought to me big joy, and also reduced me to tears....and I can never lose that.

Adrian Heath....you mean the current Minnesota coach?

Yeah, and ex-Orlando. Loved him when he was at Stoke, as did everyone associated with the club. Still love the guy now but not enough to want him to win when he brings a team to BMO.

TFC Tifoso
02-23-2018, 01:50 PM
Yeah, and ex-Orlando. Loved him when he was at Stoke, as did everyone associated with the club. Still love the guy now but not enough to want him to win when he brings a team to BMO.

That's pretty cool.....those club legend type players are what makes being a fan special.
When my son was born, I told my wife that she could pick the name but it had to be either Alessandro (for Juve) or Daniele (for TFC)....nothing else would be considered lol....

02-23-2018, 01:57 PM
1. TFC
2. Roma

Tunnelred
02-23-2018, 02:03 PM
I have attended a couple Bristol Rovers games because they are my family's local club,
but I don't really follow their results through the season.

I’m so sorry you had to watch that team. Surprised it didn’t put you off football all together!

Haha I’m messing. I’m a Bristol City fan, not often you see a chance to jab at Rovers this side of the pond! :lol:

flatpicker
02-23-2018, 02:22 PM
I’m so sorry you had to watch that team. Surprised it didn’t put you off football all together!

Haha I’m messing. I’m a Bristol City fan, not often you see a chance to jab at Rovers this side of the pond! :lol:

Ha! Nice one.
They were entertaining games.
And Rickie Lambert was playing for them at the time.
He was fun to watch.

Tunnelred
02-23-2018, 02:26 PM
Ha! Nice one.
They were entertaining games.
And Rickie Lambert was playing for them at the time.
He was fun to watch.

Yeah, I do love the lower league games in England. Always entertaining in some shape or form. Glad you enjoyed them! Just next time you’re in Bristol, maybe head over to the red half! :).

lijakaca
02-23-2018, 02:40 PM
TFC is my only soccer team, I always liked watching the sport but had no favourites. I bought season tickets from the beginning with a friend and watching live made me a diehard fan, even though we couldn't win if our lives depended on it. Had to give up the seasons for the 2013 season onward but I was always a fan, and I expect I always will be.

OgtheDim
02-23-2018, 02:54 PM
Growing up in the 70's, I was a HUGE CFL Ti-Cat fan, big Habs fan and Expos fan.

All 3 of those sports have turned me off since.

Grew up with Liverpool from the 70's, which meant at the time pretty much just getting the results in the Globe on Mondays & hoping they would make the FA Cup final as that was the only soccer game on TV all year. My support for Liverpool has gone back down to about that level. I just don't enjoy watching the EPL anymore - too much hype for me.

Got sucked into supporting my parents home town team Barrow AFC non-league when it almost went bust 20 years ago but gotten away from that - again, just check out the standings.

Got interested in TFC the first season, went to the final game that year - got hooked and now its my hobby/passion. Only really watch MLS now (slightly ticked at not having MLS Live replaced yet).

pdogg
02-23-2018, 02:57 PM
Hagglund is from ohio.

Only player on the team who currently is from Pickering I believe is Jay Chapman. I could be wrong but the rest of our Toronto lads are scarborough/Vaughan/Missisauga products.

Your point stands though. Osorio played for my youth club. Ashtone Morgan and I went to high-school together. It's incredibility humbling and makes my support of the team so much more personal. It's a great feeling.

I could have sworn that Chapman and Osorio came up through Brampton, no? Alot of the kids that made it through to first team were from Brampton.

Nana Attakora
Jay Chapman
Jonathan Osorio
Doneil Henry
Nicholas Lindsay
Quillan Roberts

flatpicker
02-23-2018, 03:25 PM
Yeah, I do love the lower league games in England. Always entertaining in some shape or form. Glad you enjoyed them! Just next time you’re in Bristol, maybe head over to the red half! :).

Perhaps I will.
Though my family is actually from Wells, Somerset.
But Wells is probably known more for cider than it is for sport, so I would bus myself to Bristol for the games.
I suppose I could have also gone to a Yeovil game.

Tunnelred
02-23-2018, 03:31 PM
Perhaps I will.
Though my family is actually from Wells, Somerset.
But Wells is probably known more for cider than it is for sport, so I would bus myself to Bristol for the games.
I suppose I could have also gone to a Yeovil game.

Ah nice! Wells is a lovely little City. I lived in Burnham in Sea. Worked in Shepton Mallet, so passed through Wells on a daily basis. Yeovil is alright for a game, but I’d much rather go to Bristol than Yeovil! Haha.

TFC07
02-23-2018, 03:34 PM
I could have sworn that Chapman and Osorio came up through Brampton, no? Alot of the kids that made it through to first team were from Brampton.

Nana Attakora
Jay Chapman
Jonathan Osorio
Doneil Henry
Nicholas Lindsay
Quillan Roberts

Yeah, those players are from Brampton.

Morgan is from Toronto while Jordan Hamilton is from Scarborough. Maybe people are getting these players confused with Brampton ones.

TrebleMaker
02-23-2018, 03:42 PM
As many of you have stated, we all had a first love that brought the interest in the game to us, for me Inter Milan and similar to many of you, it was the team my dad supported and his dad supported. My son was born in 2005, so TFC has given me the opportunity to support our local team with my son and it brings more passion knowing that I can share that with him.

19Barrett19
02-23-2018, 03:46 PM
For club its TFC for me and has been since 2010. I'm not a day 1 guy but I bleed red for this club and my city. I also bleed red and white for Canada and my country of birth Poland. I guess all in all red is in my blood forever!

CowTipper
02-23-2018, 04:15 PM
I'm going to preface my post by stating that I am Canadian, born in Toronto, raised in Toronto, and now raising my own family in Toronto. Both parents born in Italy. And I simply love football.

Now growing up in North Scarborough in the 80s you got great exposure to a variety of cultures. My friends of Italian background were all "Juve", "Inter", "Roma" etc fans. My English friends were all "Liverpool", "Manchester" etc fans....you get the idea. Keep in mind, ALL of us were born in Canada.

And that's the one thing I couldn't understand. How could one follow or fall in love with a team that is not in a city you live (or once lived) in? I didn't live in Turin, or Liverpool or Manchester and as such felt no affiliation with them. And I played soccer at high levels in Canada in the late 80s and back then I couldn't tell you who was on top of the 1st Division, or Serie A. In fact, I really didn't care if Italy won or lost. I sure as hell wasn't going to waive another flag that wasn't a Maple Leaf, but my parents jumped in the car headed to Dufferin & St. Clair the second the final whistle was blown in the 1982 World Cup final. (I really wished we scored a goal in '86.) To this day, I can't tell you who is on top of any European league. I could do a Google search but I really have no interest.

Enter TFC in 2007. Now this is mine. In MY city. Sure the football was crap for the first 10-ish years, but it was Toronto's crap. And I've been wearing my "Support Local Football" shirt ever since despite being laughed at by those that emphatically told me that nothing good can come out of Canada or Toronto when it comes to football.

And my two sons who are now 11 and 13 only know only TFC, and stand with me in the south for every game and we yell and sing until we lose our voices both for TFC and for Canada matches. I'm proud to say that their football heroes play at BMO Field.

eb14mrc
02-23-2018, 04:51 PM
My first love was baseball, having grown up in Chicago-my forum name, the acronym dedicated to my favourite ball player: Ernie Banks 14, Mr. Cub. In my youth, I actually hated soccer and never played pickup or anything. The 1982 World Cup and the frenzy with the Italian fans in this city caught my eye but I was watching soccer only every 4 years. I would have to credit my son who got me on board when in Christmas of 2006, he suggested we get season tickets to this new team. I have not looked back and live with this team through the loooong lean years, and now the fruitful ones. Yes, I occasionally watch the other leagues of this world today, and am truly grateful that I appreciate this sport, but TFC is my team since day 1; been on many TFC road trips to the States, Montreal about 6 times. Toronto til I die.

wopchop
02-23-2018, 05:09 PM
As a kid, I grew up watching the teams of my parents and Grandparents. I am a first generation Canadian, but my parents come from Italy and Portugal. So we would follow Roma and Sporting CP.

However, as I've gotten older, and especially once I started working, that became harder and once TFC was founded, I focused more and more on TFC. Probably for the last five years, I have not regularly followed Serie A or the Primera Liga at all. I still watch games - EPL, Champions League, etc - especially on weekend mornings if I can - but I don't necessarily watch every game or follow it so religiously. I had a roommate who was a major Liverpool fan, so if someone asked, I'd say I follow them in the EPL.

TFC on the other hand? Attend basically every game and watch every away game that I can.

rydermike
02-23-2018, 05:17 PM
Soccer just works that you can have multiple favorites because of the different national leagues (ie, having a favorite of every national league).

TFC's existence however, has made it easier to not follow the other leagues as much. Just due to the time difference it's hard, but pre-TFC I'd make sure to catch morning EPL games on Sportsnet and rush home after school to watch Champions League games at 2:45. Now, with work making it hard to see those Champs league games and don't make a point of watching an EPL game first thing in the morning, unless there's a matchup I really want to see (ie, I started tuning into Leicester games during their run in the second half of their season, I'll watch some Top 4 versus Top 4 games, etc)

Cuppy
02-23-2018, 06:50 PM
Grew up with no love of the game at all.
Remember being that typical North American kid with the mentality of ooooo after 90mins it’s 0-0 how exciting.
It was until the world cup was introduced to the states in 94 that I said let’s give this a shot and went down to the dome to watch the final on the jumbotron with a few thousand fans. Atmosphere was electric but again I was witness to another scoreless braincramp of a game (my North American mentality). The only highlight was witnessing Baggio roof his PK and told myself “that oughta shut them up” and watching the reactions and being neutral to the scene I thought this was amazing.
I’ve always enjoyed rooting for the underdogs and I wouldn’t say Brazil was in no ways an underdog but I loved to watch Italy lose. You would think being part Maltese I would be rooting for the country but it’s witnessing teams such as Italy, Portugal, Spain,Brazil,Germany etc (big boys on campus) lose i find satisfying. I still do so to this day as it’s healthy competition and witnessing lower seeded countries win and their raw emotions its priceless. I blame the Buffalo media back in the early 90’s with all the Bills talk and I remember just telling the TV to shut the f—k up and get what you deserve. Think they got more than enough abuse and funny enough now that I’m older this is a team I would love to see win as it’s great for the league and their religious fan base
Anyways back on track, when the World Cup was introduced to Korea in I believe 2002 the satisfaction of watching Korea knock out all the big teams was the turning point in my love for the game and I told myself that it would be amazing if the love for this game would strike a nerve close to home and when TFC was announced the rest is history.
Never looked back since and I put up with enough abuse in the early days of committing myself to the team and placing all other sports on the back burner as those whom never attend a match will never understand the effect the team has on your emotions. Something you will never get from a Leaf, jays or even Raps game.

Greatest memories I have throughout my life are the simple moments you gather from 90 mins of being completely invested in the team with all the worries from your daily life seemingly not important during this time.

Less than 1 week to go and the worries will again seem to fade away
Even if it’s for only 90 mins

Alonso
02-23-2018, 07:20 PM
It's noticeable from user names, jerseys worn at games and the chatter on this forum that many TFC fans have another footballing allegiance other than our very own TFC. It's not surprising given the nature of this city and country and I believe it adds to the mix that so many different supporting cultures are present at BMO field.

Just out of interest though, who out there is a 'pure' TFC fan with no love or support for any other team? I can't add myself to that list having been born and bred in Stoke-on-Trent, England and was raised a Stoke fan from birth.

I do have to say that TFC has probably overtaken Stoke as my primary love now, which is something my old friends in the 'old country' find difficult to understand. Success is obviously a part of that with Stoke struggling at the moment (and for many decades past) and they have never given me the incredible feeling of seeing your club lift major trophies - maybe that makes me fickle, I don't know.

It'd be interesting to see how much of our core support is TFC and TFC only.

For me it's all TFC... I'll watch Chile (father's birth country), Mexico (mother's birth country) and Canada games and used to watch more La Liga and Premier League games but not so much anymore.

TFC absorbs most of my sporting viewing for sure... keeps me more than busy.

Alonso
02-23-2018, 07:40 PM
Interesting topic.

I am pretty much TFC all the way now, but if they someday go back to treating fans and the product like Teachers/Peddie did, then I'll dial that back. Losing per se won't shake me loose, but disrespect will.

Others will disagree, but I have chosen to be a bit transactional now. Unconditional love is just a setup for abuse in modern sports.

Couldn't agree more.

They really milked the love and support and drove away thousands of hardcore supporters with their tactics.

This team would be four or five years ahead if it was managed this way from day one.

I wouldn't have the patience to go through that again, I almost gave up on the club if it weren't for the friendships with fellow season ticket holders in my area that were developed.

But yeah, it's "transactional" now for me as well.

RedsMan
02-23-2018, 07:56 PM
I watch matches from other leagues, but only care mildly if at all which team wins. So I guess I'm pretty pure.

Globetrotter
02-23-2018, 08:02 PM
As far as soccer goes, 100% TFC. Hasnt been since the mid 90's when soccer saturday exposed me to Arsenal (Bergkamp in particular), but so hard to follow or really care about something you're so detached from overseas. At a glance, I do care about MLS as a whole.

I use to be a Bills season ticket holder for years, and large swaths of Leafs tickets over the years, but all other sports have fallen by the wayside, excluding traveling the continent to attend ball games in the MLB stadiums and otherwise glancing at standings for a few random events.

TFC really has become the only team that I pay attention to on a somewhat daily frequency. Attention has turned to my kids and stocks over the past several years.

whositwhatnow
02-23-2018, 08:05 PM
im a reds fan both here and across the pond.

AlanO
02-23-2018, 08:07 PM
TFC Allez. My one and only soccer love.

I played house-league soccer as a kid in the 80s and 90s. My only exposure to the professional game was reading the boxscores and the tables in the back page of the Saturday sports section of the newspaper. The Deportivos and Milans and Manchesters sounded so foreign and fascinating to me. ("what's the difference between United and City? AC and Internazionale? why is one team united/international and not the other?" my eight-year-old self would ask.)

The 94 world cup was the first time I saw professional soccer on TV. After that, I watched Soccer Saturday on TSN every weekend, but that was the extent of it. I never formed allegiances with any club until my first TFC match - the CCL game versus Cruz Azul a bunch of years ago. Saw Mista score.

I follow EPL and La Liga but haven't supported a particular team in those leagues. Have a soft spot for Arsenal because my great-grandparents lived around the corner from Highbury until my great-grandad was killed in WW1. But I wouldn't call myself a Gunner supporter.

Alonso
02-23-2018, 08:11 PM
Beautifully put! Same here. 2007 was when I REALLY started following football with a passion and through TFC it peaked my interest in the CMNT. I was born in Etobicoke (Toronto) and had parents that followed the sport passively through there Latin American ancestry which rubbed off on me and intrigued me to watch other leagues. But when TFC was announced that changed everything for my love of the game. I had a local team to support!

I will add one caveat though, and maybe a slight disagreement, but I do follow Chile and Mexico and wear their jerseys and support them as well as Canada. Those countries are still fundamentally a part of me even though I am 100% Canadian.

I'm going to preface my post by stating that I am Canadian, born in Toronto, raised in Toronto, and now raising my own family in Toronto. Both parents born in Italy. And I simply love football.

Now growing up in North Scarborough in the 80s you got great exposure to a variety of cultures. My friends of Italian background were all "Juve", "Inter", "Roma" etc fans. My English friends were all "Liverpool", "Manchester" etc fans....you get the idea. Keep in mind, ALL of us were born in Canada.

And that's the one thing I couldn't understand. How could one follow or fall in love with a team that is not in a city you live (or once lived) in? I didn't live in Turin, or Liverpool or Manchester and as such felt no affiliation with them. And I played soccer at high levels in Canada in the late 80s and back then I couldn't tell you who was on top of the 1st Division, or Serie A. In fact, I really didn't care if Italy won or lost. I sure as hell wasn't going to waive another flag that wasn't a Maple Leaf, but my parents jumped in the car headed to Dufferin & St. Clair the second the final whistle was blown in the 1982 World Cup final. (I really wished we scored a goal in '86.) To this day, I can't tell you who is on top of any European league. I could do a Google search but I really have no interest.

Enter TFC in 2007. Now this is mine. In MY city. Sure the football was crap for the first 10-ish years, but it was Toronto's crap. And I've been wearing my "Support Local Football" shirt ever since despite being laughed at by those that emphatically told me that nothing good can come out of Canada or Toronto when it comes to football.

And my two sons who are now 11 and 13 only know only TFC, and stand with me in the south for every game and we yell and sing until we lose our voices both for TFC and for Canada matches. I'm proud to say that their football heroes play at BMO Field.

Oldtimer
02-23-2018, 11:17 PM
My father is Hungarian, and remembers the incredible "Golden Team" of the 1950's. I've played and coached and love the game.

I've had teams I've followed in the past, especially the French team that my son was in the academy of when we lived in France. I also had a favourite EPL team. These days I mostly just follow TFC, it's enough of an "obsession."

Mike_S
02-23-2018, 11:59 PM
Well, while the rest of the country was watching hockey this morning, I was busy searching the web to see if TFC would be streaming the Aketxe press conference live...

Soccer is by far my favourite sport, and TFC and the league it plays in captures my interest the most. Growing up, I followed a team and league in Europe based on my cultural background, but I don't anymore (for reasons unrelated to TFC), although I do try to watch as many Premier League, La Liga, and Serie A matches as I can (thank you DAZN).

Basketball is the only other team sport that I follow as closely as soccer. I don't think I've watched a total of 5 minutes of the winter olympics this year.

Edit: Forgot to mention that although Toronto is the only soccer club I really care about, the team that has historically made my palms sweat the most is our MNT.

Mike_S
02-24-2018, 12:25 AM
Grew up with Liverpool from the 70's, which meant at the time pretty much just getting the results in the Globe on Mondays & hoping they would make the FA Cup final as that was the only soccer game on TV all year.

I love hearing and reading about how things used to be with soccer in this city back in the 70s and 80s. IIRC, the FA Cup Final was carried by CFMT every year, right? It is the earliest memory I have of watching soccer on Canadian TV; that and the famous Canada-Honduras qualifier in St. John's on CBC.

GlenM
02-24-2018, 01:00 AM
Hagglund is from ohio.

You're Right

Nick Hagglund Born in Cinny

I swear TFC intro him from Pickering...agggh probably fucking me around dam

GlenM

InSuL1nImP
02-24-2018, 01:00 AM
Supporter since day 1. Favorite moments 1A. Treble 1B. Miracle in 09

backbeat
02-24-2018, 01:30 AM
I certainly didn’t grow up on TFC.

But when TFC came to be I bought in from day one.

As a true Toronto boy, I grew up on the Leafs and the Argos – pure and simple but mainly the Leafs.

Keon, Sittler, Gilmour, Salming, Bower, Mahovlich, Clarky etc. ……

The FA Cup would creep into the airwaves every now and then…I suppose something registered – don’t know what but it wasn’t a major event in our family.

Grade 5 I had a teacher from England that thought the school should have a soccer team – I was on it and the only memory I have, and oddly it has stayed with me, is my teacher saying, ‘beautiful boot’ as I kicked a ball forward in an inter-school game – weird how those things remain.

The Argos faded over time and the Leafs continued to slip into oblivion through their ineptness though I still pay some attention – the Jays and then the Raps came into being and I was definitely interested, just not captivated.

Saying all this I got, for reasons completely unknown, totally into the Toronto Metro Croatia at Varsity stadium – I loved it. Went to most home games and loved the stadium. Great vantage no matter where you sat, and there was grass! When they moved to the CNE stadium I stopped – and full stopped at that. No interest.

When the thought of TFC appeared I got seasons tickets immediately. When I found out there was to be a plastic pitch I wanted to get out. Luckily I didn’t.

TFC almost makes me believe in reincarnation – There’s really no reason historically why I should be so engrossed. I love going to the games – it’s almost a ZEN thing for me - I feel whole – weird, really weird I know.

I have zero history family-wise – no brothers, sisters, friends, relatives etc. interested in the slightest.

Why it inhabited me I have no idea

But I LOVE it

And am thankful

TFC is me…

James17930
02-24-2018, 01:37 AM
I got into soccer when Canada won the Gold Cup in 2000, but didn't start following club football until I began supporting Spurs in 2005 (because of Paul Stalteri :P).

Then TFC was announced in 2006, and, while I still support Spurs and follow everything they do, my heart is certainly more with TFC. I've gotten up very early, or stayed up very late, countless times to watch matches, and for a while there when they were truly terrible I had to step away simply because it was just too painful. Seeing the losses and constant mediocrity was having an effect on my moods, and I had to get away for a while.

Now that we're actually good it's just an incredible feeling, and I can't wait for each match. My son has just started to watch with me as well, and I can't wait to further indoctrinate him into the TFC fold.

Good times ahead!

GuelphStorm2007
02-24-2018, 02:54 AM
My love for Soccer is partially came from my dad and the CBC for showing the FA cup finals back in the day and the 1982 world cup . That is when I first saw how big the game was. To me it was unbelievable how a game 4000km away had so much importance in Guelph.. God bless my Sister at the time taking me to thw e Worlds biggest bookstore where I was able to by magazines like Shoot Match and World Soccer. Right now TFC is my team . I still follow other clubs like Fiorentina and LYON BUT TFC remains number one for me. The day after the MLS Final I was having coffee with a young lady friend and she asked me what do you want for Christmas and my reply was Chreistmas came early thanks to Jozy Altidore

GuelphStorm2007
02-24-2018, 02:59 AM
The best part about TFC games is meeting some good people whether on the Go Train, at the games , Or in the many pubs surrounding the BMO on Liberty village.

OgtheDim
02-24-2018, 06:40 AM
I love hearing and reading about how things used to be with soccer in this city back in the 70s and 80s. IIRC, the FA Cup Final was carried by CFMT every year, right? It is the earliest memory I have of watching soccer on Canadian TV; that and the famous Canada-Honduras qualifier in St. John's on CBC.

The FA Cup final was on CBC at first and then CFMT got some rights that included a league game every week - our minds were blown away.

1982 changed all that.

https://torontoist.com/2014/06/historicist-taking-it-to-the-streets/

ensco
02-24-2018, 10:38 AM
Ooooh, soccer on TV in Toronto in the 1970s and early 80s..... I love this tangent....

That article above makes it sound like there was no soccer on TV here. That is true for the World Cup pre 82, but there was actually a lot of soccer available to watch.

There were weekly English games, but usually tape delay, and also a half hour English highlight program called the Big Match that ran late nights on weekdays (can’t remember which channel, some on CBC for sure, some on Channel 47, but I think City or someone else had some of these). FA Cup games (even early qualifiers) were a bigger deal than league fixtures in my memory, and the FA Cup Final was the biggest game of the year on TV, but it was tape delayed in the beginning (it went live around 1980 I think). Google “and Smith must score” if you want to see the single FA Cup moment I remember best. Every single game on the Big Match featured Liverpool or Spurs. (Arsenal and Chelsea were not big clubs then, and Manchester United weren’t really either -or so it seemed in my memory.) It’s why I still like Spurs.

There were weekly Italian games on Channel 47 (again, started out tale delay, then went live) and a weekly Calcio highlight show on Sunday nights, also on Channel 47. That highlight show was amazing, I watched that more than anything else. Italy had these overexcited game callers who would go nuts. Plus in the early 80s tons of non-Italians (Platini, Zico, Maradona, off the top of my head) started going to Italy - that was an amazing change, until then, that was pretty rare, and England had almost none of that. I remember Zico’s debut game. If you really cared about the world game, this was the show you had to watch. It was all in Italian, which made it even better (even if you didn’t speak a word). Seeing a Milan derby is on my bucket list, thanks to this show. They played up those games, and Lazio-Roma, like they were WW3.

There were also weekly Bundesliga games in English on Channel 11. Broadcast quality was crap, it was often B&W. Then as now you got a steady diet of Bayern (the dominant team in Europe in the 70s - Beckenbauer, Muller etc, they played a 1-3-3-3!) HSV were almost as big then. I can still remember being shocked at the names.... Kaiserslautern vs Moenchengladbach!

CFTO had the Blizzard but it was only a smattering of games. NASL game of the week ran for a couple of years in the late 70s on ABC. Channel 29 in Buffalo had Cosmos games for at least 2 or 3 years when they had Pele. Channel 29 also had, weirdly, some Liga MX games (I paid no attention to that).

Channel 47 also carried the odd big Portuguese game.

European Cup was invisible unless an English team was in it, I remember we got the 1980 Final on TV with Nottingham Forest and HSV. Spain was invisible, I never once saw Real Madrid or Barcelona play until the 90s. Which seems hard to believe. Or that great Ajax team.

Overall, in the 1970s, there was more regular continental football then English football on TV. Seems weird given how much British culture dominated the city in general back then (smile if you remember Calling All Britain, and Down Memory Lane, both hosted by Ray Sonin, on CFRB). It was a sign of the change to come.

bigredone
02-24-2018, 12:12 PM
Great thread! I find many people look at me strange when I say I do not support a team from outside North America. It is fun to cheer on any Dutch club fighting through the Europa or Champions League, but passion is only felt for TFC. Even on a national scale, the Netherlands National teams are fun to watch, but only Canada's teams bring out the strong emotions.

Shakes McQueen
02-24-2018, 12:39 PM
Been a supporter of Arsenal since I was a teenager (they were pretty much responsible for putting soccer on my sports radar), and shortly thereafter Barcelona too (mostly because I love the city). However, TFC have definitely supplanted both as my main soccer obsession.

Hard to say exactly when it happened - several years ago at this point. You just feel an additional level of "ownership" over a sports team, when it's actually your home club, and not a team you follow from a thousand miles away.

GuelphStorm2007
02-24-2018, 12:56 PM
I remember there was a show on CFMT channel 47 on Saturdays called World Soccer Report hosted by Dale Barnes in the 80s

ensco
02-24-2018, 01:03 PM
I remember there was a show on CFMT channel 47 on Saturdays called World Soccer Report hosted by Dale Barnes in the 80s

Funny. The guy with the scarf.

Cable changed everything. TSN started something around that time with Graham Leggat too (I can't remember the name) and started showing multiple English first division games on weekends. TSN also started showing European Cup, and Euro championship games then.

Shakes McQueen
02-24-2018, 01:04 PM
Funny. The guy with the scarf. TSN started something around that time with Graham Leggat too (I can't remember the name) and started showing multiple English first division games on weekends.

Soccer Saturday

Mike_S
02-24-2018, 01:28 PM
Great post above, Ensco, thanks for that. And thanks to OgtheDim for that article.

The 70s were just before my time so I love hearing how it all was back then!!

StokeciTFC
02-24-2018, 01:31 PM
Did you guys ever get Match of the Day? Was shown Saturday evening in England and Wales and just the theme tune was enough to get the blood pumping.

StokeciTFC
02-24-2018, 01:36 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EOwflBBebKU

ensco
02-24-2018, 01:48 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EOwflBBebKU

I don't recall that

Mike_S
02-24-2018, 01:49 PM
I don't think we ever we got Match of the Day here but another poster might know more; the closest thing we had for English soccer was Soccer Saturday with Graham Leggat produced by TSN, as mentioned above, which showed condensed matches and highlights from the previous week. Then Sportsnet came along in the late 90's and finally televised live Premier League matches, which ended the run of Soccer Saturday.

Edit: One English program I wish would get exported here: Soccer AM :D :D :D

ensco
02-24-2018, 02:04 PM
The music I remember is when TSN or BBC used Nessun Dorma as the theme music for Italia 90.

My mother is a big opera fan, she loved that.

KingLedley
02-24-2018, 05:07 PM
I am a North West Londoner growing up within sight of Wembley Stadium, and have always been a Tottenham fan and always will be.
But Toronto is home now and I love TFC. I actually became a SSH the day just after I saw my very first match at BMO Field.
I don't care if it rains or snows, at TFC we have an atmosphere that rivals any UK stadium.
I watched a game with Borussia Dortmund supporters in Germany once.... Their incredible fans-to-players relationship is called "Echte Liebe" or "True Love" and thats the feeling I see right here at home in Toronto.
But don't ever make me choose between Spurs and TFC.

OgtheDim
02-24-2018, 06:26 PM
But don't ever make me choose between Spurs and TFC.

You missed that friendly a few years ago - payback for Defoe.

gracos
02-24-2018, 11:33 PM
I will have to admit the first club i watched wasnt TFC, however since the announcement of Toronto getting an MLS team; i was able to throw complete allegiance behind TFC and was happy that Toronto had a team, so i may not be completely pure but i bleed TFC red

molenshtain
02-25-2018, 04:21 AM
this was posted on another board by a friend but it sums up a lot of what I've been thinking about and encapsulates a lot of what and why we feel the way we do right now. Forgive me for this rant but, ya know, I like to talk.

Forgive the following self-centred ramble. It has taken me two months to process winning the championship. It was weird for me because no local team I cheer for has ever won anything. But I think I have pieced together really why the whole thing felt so good. And the reasons really is the very, very specific back story.

So lots of people can point to the fact that the Championship was a re-match. That it was revenge (Bradley prefers "redemption" (see about 1:36) (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aLAML-3dS8M)) for that fucking horrible fucking game when those fuckers from Seattle parked the bus for 120 minutes and then won on penalties. And yeah, there was a bit of that, for sure. Though to the extent it was about that, I would say what was more meaningful was the revelation in September or so that the team had targeted the Supporters Shield at the start of the season (something not a lot of MLS clubs do) because to make sure that no matter what happened, they ended the season in Toronto. In front of us. And the reason they did that - so they said, and there's obviously some mythologizing here - was because of the way the fans supported the team at the end of '16. Yeah, we should have beat Seattle, but there was absolutely no finger pointing or recriminations. none.

And to understand *that*, you need to go back in time another two weeks.

The 2-0 win against Seattle on December 9th may have been the best game TFC ever played (seriously, they were incredible). But it was not the *greatest* game we ever played. That game was November 30, 2016 (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YSU4RzH9Mwo), at home against Montreal in the eastern final. That was the night the fans went from loving the team to wanting to marry the team.

Remember, just 2 years before we were fucking hopeless (and 4 years before, famously, we were the "worst team in the world"). Even 12 months earlier, with Bradley and Giovinco in the team, we got our ass handed to us by the Impact in the first round of the playoffs. Sure, we all supported the team, but below the surface there was always that feeling of "oh christ how are they going to fuck it up this time"? And believe me, when we went down 3-0 after 55 minutes in Montreal in the first leg, we all had that thought again. Yes, we'd played superbly dispatching NYFC 7-0 in hte previous round, but all that giddiness disappeared pretty quickly in the Big O. Somehow, somehow, the team clawed back two goals, and so the return match was a real nail-biter.

In Fever Pitch, Nick Hornby talks about things that make a perfect game: rain, atrocious refereeing decisions, lots of goals, coming from behind to win. The Eastern final had all of that. And when Nick Hagglund jumped about eight feet in the air to head home the goal that made it 5-5 on aggregate, the stadium absolutely exploded. It was utter pandemonium. The two goals in extra time (Cheyrou, Ricketts), the ones that actually put us in the final, were pretty good too. But that was the goal that made everyone believe. The moment when we went from loving them to wanting to marry them.

And so, sure, we didn't actually care about that loss in the final in '16 because just ten days earlier they'd given us a perfect night, and won the greatest tie in the history of MLS. Against *them*. And because of that, the team played the greatest season in MLS history, just to play the final in front of us again. And they won. And it was the sweetest thing ever.

But it took a specific series of events to make it that sweet. That run, that wait, that specific series of wins and losses, were necessary. if we'd won the eastern final against Energy drink or the Crew or someone else, it wouldn't have meant nearly as much and we might have been bitchier after the final and things might have turned out quite differently. Hell, if we'd won in 2016, it wouldn't have been as sweet because it came too easy. if we'd won this year against a different opponent it wouldn't have been as sweet because we really needed to see that son of a bitch Ramon Torres lose. Change any part of the sequence and the story become less compelling.

Life doesn't give you many perfect stories. This was one. I loved it, but I'm a bit sad too, because we'll never have one like it again.

Alonso
02-25-2018, 05:15 AM
Life doesn't give you many perfect stories. This was one. I loved it, but I'm a bit sad too, because we'll never have one like it again.

That's a great post.

I hope your friend is wrong about that, but knowing how rare that sequence of events was, I think he could be right.

You and your friend, I suspect are younger than I. I've lived through three fairy-tale team seasons in my life with Toronto... Bluejays '92, Bluejays '93, and TFC '17

I really do believe though that this TFC team has a lot more history to write. We're just getting better.

molenshtain
02-25-2018, 05:41 AM
That's a great post.

I hope your friend is wrong about that, but knowing how rare that sequence of events was, I think he could be right.

You and your friend, I suspect are younger than I. I've lived through three fairy-tale team seasons in my life with Toronto... Bluejays '92, Bluejays '93, and TFC '17

I really do believe though that this TFC team has a lot more history to write. We're just getting better.

He's from Winnipeg and was an Expo's fan. He's had a tough road.

We definitely have history to write. We look set up for a lot of success in the near and far future. I think the sentiment was more that Nothing will ever feel like the last two years. The path we had to travel to get last year's treble was literally a storybook ending. The players, The fans, the matches, the momentum of it - everything was of a piece that brought me (and maybe many of you) to tears. I experienced something so inexplicable in the final (and the montreal series, and the columbus second leg) that made me feel so.. close isn't a good enough descriptor. I felt inextricably linked to each and everyone one of you and my seat mates and family and everyone who went through the last ten years. But even beyond that, I felt the same way about this city. I felt such pure joy and happiness that I didn't think existed. I embraced my father after the final whistle for quite a while and I think it's the first time we've ever showed that degree of emotion with each other.

Anyway, this is all in purpose of saying supporting this team has been the greatest thing that has and will ever happen in my life. No Eurosnob will ever understand what it felt like, and I have absolutely no reservations or regrets towards my dropping of watching European football. It can be beautiful, sure, but there's absolutely no emotion there for me. Ever. It's like watching a Stanley Kubrick movie.

*And that bit up there about Hornby describing a perfect game - please do go find that excerpt if you have the time. I know lot's of people have a hard time putting into words what that MTL game felt like, but it is so perfectly summed up there. Hornby is someone who I frequently turn to to put my feelings about football into words. No one says cutting or honest purely joyous things about football that he does.

molenshtain
02-25-2018, 05:59 AM
Actually, no. I do occasionally experience emotion watching European football, but it is only ever literal disgust. Disgust at the corporatized, globalized takeover of what was a sport that was intrinsically a local game for most of its history. Every time I see City, Or PSG, Or Barcelona, or every Gazeprom adboard adoring the sides of Champions League games. It's disgusting and destroying the fabric the sport. It's why I refuse to accept the Abu Dhabi family's foreign affairs committee's attempt to put their foot in the door of this league. I will never acknowledge them or accept them as a permanent part of this league. They will, God and whoever else willing, be a footnote in the history books of this league when our grand kids read about the history of this league.

It's late and I'm ranting and avoiding work. I know this is off topic. Just wanted to be totally clear about why I feel such a dramatic shift of allegiance and interest.

Defoe
02-25-2018, 07:21 AM
I only watch TFC and have zero interest in the time investment to watch a team that I can't identify on an emotional level with. TFC gives us something to be proud of.

I admit that the Defoe, Bradley and Gilberto transfers was admittley what got me interested in TFC/MLS. I remember checking in a year or two before that; watching one game and being like MAN this is terrible... Even the Defoe season was pretty hard to watch.

Shout out to the loyals out there. Without you there might not be a 2018 TFC

tfcfans
02-25-2018, 07:50 AM
I grew up in the 70s like a lot of folks here so many of the stories resonate with my experience as well in terms of euro-soccer watching on crappy quality feeds --- not as much mention of the Blizzard and their 5-6 year run in the late 70s and early 80s and watching my share of indoor soccer at Maple Leaf Gardens on weekend afternoons where you basically had your run of the place and could wander the Gardens freely as it was half-empty and you could play your own version of soccer in the stairwells with your friends (we did this with mini hockey sticks and foam pucks at Marlies games too!)....it was simply a different time....

Fast forward to 2007 and I am at the first game with my brother and we hear this noise coming out of the south end and the seats literally rattling from outside the stadium....we knew something was different here, I've been fortunate to be in attendance for most of the biggest sporting events in this city the last 40 years or so (Game 7 Kings, Carter 50+ vs the 76ers, Jays in every major moment from Carter to Bautista and beyond etc.) and this noise and passion was organic, people cared without being told to care or cheer --- and this little "crappy" makeshift stadium was a revelation on a piece of land long forgotten and long derided as a place where sports viewing should occur (I too wished for a Varsity Stadium - heart of the city kind of vibe).....I joined RPB in Year One right afterwards and started discovering the message boards and viewing parties in York region where 5-6 of us at the most would get together at Archibald's and watch a team that frankly almost no one cared about or even knew existed.....it was like our own little community team to support....

Fast forward again to about 2008 and my now 2 year old daughter is being dragged with me to Joe's for an away season opening loss in a bar "filled" with strangers who embrace us, no questions asked....By 2011 my now 5 year old daughter and I have started a tradition of going to every home opener together no matter what - season tickets are achieved by this point in 220 after years of half packs and Marlies "ransom packs".....we have a home now, and we take a picture every year on our walk from Joes to BMO --- my how she has grown over the last 7 years.....

Fast forward again to 2015 (no need to rehash "worst team in the world" or a NYRB 5-0 debacle, or the rare joys of the miracle in Montreal and a stadium filled with fans to see the LAG in the Dome) --- we start to resemble an actual football team at this point with the arrival of Giovinco who is a godsend (after Bradley/Defoe's much celebrated arrival had half worked and half didn't) and makes us see pretty soccer again.....we finally drag our ass into the playoffs and then get shellacked by our biggest rival in the most embarrassing way possible --- oh you thought this was going to be easy? where have you been the last 9 years.....

Fast forward to 2016 ---- a magical year, a Johnson broken leg stunner, the first legitimate playoff run and the night of all nights on November 30th where as others have said - we watched the best "match" in terms of sheer drama we have ever seen at BMO ---- from 3-0 down in Montreal to the guts shown to pull two back in the "Big O", to going up and down and then OT magic where all the sins of the previous years were washed away by a beautiful Frenchman and a Canadian lad who puts away a clincher after a stunning Jozy run (a familiar theme by the 2017 playoffs) and then sobs on the sideline as he realizes the magnitude of the moment --- we sobbed too, Ricketts, we sobbed too.....the Final brings us all the hope in the world only to be let down by a rather boring game, save for a Frei moment or too, and losing in the worst way possible on a damn penalty shot that hits the crossbar and goes down not even out, but down, literally inches away breaking our hearts.....don't worry Morrow, the gods seem to be thinking, you will have your moment.....I explain to my daughter on the way home how precious that opportunity was to win a championship and how many things had to go "right" just to get to that moment in our stadium only to lose in this way ----I told her to believe, but years of being a sports fan tell me that these opportunities don't come often and sometimes never again.....92-93 happened, we are still waiting for 1967 to be changed to a new number in this town.....

Rewind to 2017 --- we will either let last years loss define us as another team that almost made it and never returned - or we sign a Vasquez who unlocks the world and we totally dominate for an entire season -- wire to wire we have an energy that says - "F This" we will be the aggressors, the ones who control the narrative and we will take on the heart of our Captain and push ourselves week in and week out to be the best - people get hurt - doesn't matter, add some players from leagues we've never watched (looking at you Hasler!), sure that works too, we have decided to TAKE the championship and every other trophy by the throats and claim them --- Gio with a stunner in June to clinch Canada (and Raheem wiping out on his leap over the "boards" which still kills me every time I rewatch it) results in a stunning explosion of noise that portends of things to come. Morrow has his day in the sun (see someone was looking out for the lad), and we clinch the Shield - meaningful to a lot of us old-timers who know that winning the league is more an indicator of the best team than a "crappy random playoff system".....more on that later.....

Playoffs 2017 --- the first game in NY is fine thanks to another Gio wonder-strike.....the home leg is a messy drag out war that literally leads to punches being thrown, and Bono, saving our asses off of BWP, and my daughter who has been with me the whole time starts to hug me in disbelief that we have somehow survived this mess in early November to move on to face our Trillium Cup rival (ok that's not really a thing but for literary purposes let's say it is - ha ha ha)......suspensions cause us to drag out a 0-0 game in Clbs and then in one of the best games of the year (for both teams) we await a magical moment --- a stunning run by Jozy after a sublime pass by Victor (and Gio earlier on in the play) leads us to victory --- somewhere nearby Ricketts is probably crying again.....we already know that Seattle likely awaits to taunt us again about last year's final......

December 9 2017 - Redemption Day --- I am a big believer that sports is about narratives -- this game, and this day, is as many others have stated, a storybook waiting for it's final "perfect chapter" - this is a two season story (to some extent) the way it has all played out and I remind my daughter that in order for this to be the "perfect ending" we NEED to win - period. An entire season will be judged on how we play today ---- we go to Joe's early and have our usual meals, we go to the viewing party and I catch a shirt all taped up, which I later find to be an autographed Gio Jersey (a good sign) - we make our way to the stadium and I see the away support up in the corner and then OUR support everywhere else.......the first half unfolds like last year, we dominate but we can't score....we are confident but still fearful after last year.....then the moment happens, a beautiful series of one touch passes that explodes up the middle until a joyous noise arrives.....insanity in the stands ensues, hugging my daughter, hugging strangers, high fiving everyone within 30 feet of me.....we are confident and we are happy but it is not over....we continue to play stunningly beautiful football and absolutely dominate as we have done most of the year....Cooper almost has his moment and Vasquez seals the deal --- we heart you too Victor, hold that jersey high --- pandemonium and disbelief ensue, we know it is over, redemption has occurred -- I have shared this journey with all of you but most importantly to me, my child --- the way that my father had shared the Leafs and the Jays with me has now been passed on to my child, it is a beautiful moment - I stay at BMO afterwards for what seems like an hour soaking it all in --- we may never come this way again, and even though we are a great team right now, THIS version of winning will never occur again, this perfect narrative.....there won't be another first time, everything else will always be compared to this moment in our minds - that's not a bad thing, it's just a thought that passes in my mind.....

Am I "pure TFC", who knows what that really means? I love other teams in other sports too, but what I do know is that I have shared emotions and memories with a lot of you and the ultimate story-book ending in sports rarely occurs --- we got one; and there is no other reason to put ourselves through all of the emotional angst unless you enjoy the heck out of those rare times when sports doesn't break your heart, but rather opens it up to even greater love instead......

Onward to 2018 --- where I will be with my daughter in BMO on Saturday March 3rd in our usual spot surrounded by people we know who have become our extended family - but first at Joes, then a walk with a picture, then creating new memories......

ensco
02-25-2018, 08:51 AM
Actually, no. I do occasionally experience emotion watching European football, but it is only ever literal disgust. Disgust at the corporatized, globalized takeover of what was a sport that was intrinsically a local game for most of its history. Every time I see City, Or PSG, Or Barcelona, or every Gazeprom adboard adoring the sides of Champions League games. It's disgusting and destroying the fabric the sport. It's why I refuse to accept the Abu Dhabi family's foreign affairs committee's attempt to put their foot in the door of this league. I will never acknowledge them or accept them as a permanent part of this league. They will, God and whoever else willing, be a footnote in the history books of this league when our grand kids read about the history of this league.

It's late and I'm ranting and avoiding work. I know this is off topic. Just wanted to be totally clear about why I feel such a dramatic shift of allegiance and interest.

Well, you might say we bought the title (that is certainly the view of most supporters of every other MLS team).

It’s hard to place our story, in truth.

We really were an appalling joke for so many years. Yet of the 12 teams in MLS since we joined, only six have won the Cup. Some of those have very deserving fan bases (eg DCU), or have been consistently good (FC Dallas).... and haven’t even made the final.

I do agree that our 2016-2017 narrative could be a movie plot. Nobody went into the 2016 playoffs expecting this. In 15 months we have had 8 or 10 epic, memorable moments. More than most franchises over the past 10 years.

If I were writing that movie script, I would make summer 2016 of the fulcrum of the story, we lost several games to teams down a man, including one where we conceded the winning goal to 9 man San Jose. Nobody who watched that game thought this was coming!

molenshtain
02-25-2018, 10:32 AM
To be very clear; I have no problem with teams spending money - preferably from a local source, to win championships. That's been part of since it began and it's in every sport ever. It's inevitable. What I do have a problem with is the soft power being peddled relentlessly by the aforementioned Abu Dhabi group creating (And Qatar's to an even more cruel and vile end) to soft power in order to propagandize the their brands and distract from their horrible human rights abuses. There's a piece In deadspin about how the Saudi are rapidly catching up, through game of thrones style political maneuvering. It's by Mohamed Zidan. Highly recommended.

If Qatar Doesn't kill the projected 6k-7k thousand slave workers they have working on stadiums there why wouldn't be pumping billions into two of the biggest brands in football. Its free press and nice brand association. It's specifically designed to masked atrocities. It's evil and should be condemned at every occurrence. The team coached by Patrick Vieria and plays in Yankee stadium is sure as shit complicit in that.

Way off topic. I've expressed my view on this subject numerous times before and this isn't the avenue in which to re-litigate this conversation. If you can - pay way more attention to the post I put up two or three above this. That's the really stuff that matter
(and pertains).

ensco
02-25-2018, 10:49 AM
^I agree with your comments on the true nature of and motives for Russian and middle eastern plutocrat involvement in Euro soccer.

I have some thoughts on how "soft power" works in the Bell/Rogers ownership structure (it's played a bigger role behind the scenes than we think about), and their relationships with regulators and government entities, but will save that for a different time/place.

molenshtain
02-25-2018, 03:59 PM
^I agree with your comments on the true nature of and motives for Russian and middle eastern plutocrat involvement in Euro soccer.

I have some thoughts on how "soft power" works in the Bell/Rogers ownership structure (it's played a bigger role behind the scenes than we think about), and their relationships with regulators and government entities, but will save that for a different time/place.

There certainly are criticisms there too. Yes, though this is not the right forum to be arguing that specific battle. Feel free to PM me though, I'd be glad to "go at it with you", so to speak.

MightyDM
02-25-2018, 04:54 PM
Great thread. I’ve had other sports passions ( Ottawa Roughriders, Bruins, Jays) and from the UK originally, so always loved “The Football “. Jays from inception through heart breaks like ‘85 but in ‘94 they gutted the team and raised the beer and food prices.

that was it for me, wasn’t going to be taken for a fool. Unattached. Followed World Cup, Europe, and English soccer on TV, but that was about it. Then along comes TFC and finally my own team in my own town. It’s been a journey but wouldn’t give back a second of it, not a second.

See you all Tuesday.

Justin10000
02-25-2018, 05:23 PM
TFC wasn't my first love, but TFC is my top team right now and has been that way for a few years.

GuelphStorm2007
02-25-2018, 06:43 PM
I think TFC fans are the best sport fans in the city. A lot better than the miserable moose face Jays fans I know

Redcoe15
02-25-2018, 09:09 PM
Since the beginning, Toronto FC has been the only soccer team I've ever followed. There hasn't been another football club in the world that I've come close to supporting. And just to let you know, despite having German, English and Scottish blood in me, the only national team that I will have a rooting interest in is Canada.

I first had interest in the sport back in the late 70s. Growing up in Sarnia, most of out sporting attention was gazed towards Detroit where we got all of their TV and radio stations. When the Detroit Express joined the old North American Soccer League as an expansion team in 1978, I started following them closely. They even played a friendly at Norm Perry Park against Sarnia City.

Shortly after, Nottingham Forest great Trevor Francis joined Detroit on loan for the summer. Unlike other well known world stars like Pele and Franz Beckenbauer, Francis was playing at the peak of his career. And it showed. He scored a shitload of goals for the Express when there was no offside rule inside the 35 yard mark and led the Express to the top of their division and third best record overall in their first year in the league.

In 1979, our family visited the CNE on our way to the East Coast. When we were there, the Toronto Blizzard were about to take on the New York Cosmos in the first leg of a two legged opening round playoff at Exhibition Stadium - where BMO Field stands today. My brother and I went on our own, unsupervised, to pay $2.50 to watch the game in the general admission section (which would have been the supporters section today). The Blizzard lost the match 3-1 to the Cosmos, and I remember my brother and I standing over the players entrance and saw Beckenbauer sign autographs for the fans. There were over 30,000 for that game and the media were making a big deal about how soccer had finally arrived in Toronto.

Sadly, it was not to be. So many teams in the league at the time, like the Express, were built on a house of cards and it didn't take long for them to collapse. And soon, the NASL withered and died.

My interest in soccer didn't pick up again until the 1986 World Cup, where Canada made its first and only appearance. They played as well as they could, but couldn't score one goal in their three games and were soon out. But a year later, the Canadian Soccer League was born. Eight teams in two conferences, east and west. I think I watched every game of the week on TSN with Vic Rauter and Graham Leggat calling the plays. I was trilled when London got a team a couple of years later, but I was living out of the province at the time. But they sucked and didn't last long. And neither did the league, as the CSL folded in 1992.

After that, my interest in soccer was, at best, lukewarm. There was the World Cup in 1994 being played in the United States, but that didn't last long when it ended. Soon after, Major League Soccer was formed in 1996, but they came out with stupid nicknames, hideous looking kits and an Americanizing of the game itself, with countdown clocks and shootouts to break draws in the game, to try an appease casual American sports fans and soccer moms. And the league's goal was to develop interest and talent in the United States, which seems to meant only U.S. cities be interested. No Canadian investments or fans need apply. So I had no interest in MLS then (it might have been different had Detroit had a team), and it seems not too many back then as the league nearly folded just five years in.

Ten years after MLS was formed, there were rumblings about MLSE trying to get into the league with an expansion team for Toronto. It sounded good, but I wasn't going to believe it if and when they were officially granted a team. But in 2005, they were. And I started to get very interested in what this team could become and what it could mean for developing soccer talent in Canada.

The early years were a lot of innocent fun. I stayed up late to watch TFC's first MLS game against Chivas USA out in Carson, California. The early games, our side didn't score any goals and it was getting a little frustrating. But I had a funny feeling that would change on May 12 against Chicago. And boy did it ever, as Danny Dichio became a legend at the 23:13 mark with TFC's first ever goal, and the seat cushions were launched from the stands. The game ended with our side's first victory 3-0 against the Fire. There were more victories as the season went on, but there were a lot more losses as well. But that was to be expected from an expansion side. But the fans didn't mind, as they were generating lots of energy for the team they could finally call their own. The southend was a wild fun place to be.

And I wanted to hitch my wagon to this vehicle called Toronto FC.

I attended my first live TFC match the following year. A July afternoon game against San Jose. Upper deck, front row, looking right at the middle of the field, sitting next to the TV cameras. It ended a scoreless draw that would have been broken if Armando Guevara hadn't of missed on a penalty kick. It was that match that I met up with the Red Patch Boys hosting a tailgate party and membership drive. I signed up on the spot and have been a member in good standing ever since.

That year, I remember experiencing my first disappointment when TFC lost the first Canadian Championship to our new mortal enemies Montreal, then in the USL. But the following year our side avenged that bitterness with the Miracle in Montreal, and Dwayne DeRosario, our big off season acquisition, scoring a hat trick in that match that gave us our first silverware, the Voyageurs Cup. It looked like we were on our way to bigger things.

But then the last game of the season, where a victory would have put TFC into the playoffs for the first time, and Toronto lays a big egg. A 5-0 loss to the Red Bulls at a rainy Giants Stadium. And, for the next five years, things got worse from there.

The losses were bad and the instability worse. So many coaches come and gone. Management fucking things up all over. A cancer developed in the locker room. There were some bright moments during that time, like TFC upending the MLS Champs the LA Galaxy and David Beckham in the CONCACAF quarterfinals. But there was so much darkness around the club that it had an effect on interest. The low point was team striker Danny Koevermans calling Toronto FC the worst soccer club in the world, and he might not have been wrong.

Then in 2013, Tim Lieweke becomes MLSE honcho and vows to make sweeping changes to the club to make it better, signing Jermaine Dafoe and Michael Bradley, creating the Bloody Big Deal campaign, and arrogantly proclaiming Toronto FC would make the playoffs in 2014. I was at the home opener against DC United, which was a huge event in the city. Dafoe scored the only goal in the match and it looked like things were looking up. But then, TFC went back to their losing habits, missing the playoffs yet again, leaving a big fat egg on his face. It was really frustrating watching and following this team at this point. I think I skipped more games than I watched during those years. I might have given up altogether were it not for my membership with the Red Patch Boys.

On July 2015, I surfed upon a match between TFC and New York City FC at Yankee Stadium and with nothing to do that day I watched. NYCFC, a new team that year, get out to an early lead and I was thinking to myself "yup, same old TFC". But then, all of a sudden, a small Italian striker from Juventus named Sebastian Giovinco put the team on his entire 5'4" frame and started scoring amazing goals that put TFC back in the game and nearly won it for them if it hadn't been for a late goal that they gave up in extra time. Since then, my love affair with TFC was rekindled and I found myself watching more games on television, just to see what sort of magic Giovinco would pull off that game. And boy, did he pull off a whole lot of tricks that summer, leading the league with goals and becoming the first 20 goal 15 assist player in MLS history on his way to capturing league MVP honors and putting Toronto FC in the playoffs for the first time ever. Where they ended up getting smacked down on the road in the knockout stage 3-0 to hated Montreal. A shitty way to end a glorious season.

2016, TFC were able to build on the previous year's success. Giovinco was still scoring, but so too was Jozy Altidore, who also joined the team the previous year after a swap with Defoe. Toronto finished third in the East that year and beat Philadelphia in the knockout and NYCFC in a two legger. Then it was on to the Eastern Final for the first time. And a date against hated Montreal. And emotions and anticipations were running sky high. I don't think I was ever pumped up for a series such as this.

When Montreal went up 3-0, I was at an emotional low. But then TFC scored back to back goals to keep things close and to gain crucial away goals for the series. The second leg of the series was probably the wildest TFC match I've ever seen. And probably the greatest. I was disappointed when Montreal scored first, but our side wasn't going to give up without a fight, clawing its way back until the match went into extra time, with Toronto scoring two goals that avenged our loss from the previous year against hated Montreal and into the MLS Cup Final for the first time ever at home. That might have been the greatest playoff series I had ever seen, and Don Garber would agree with that. It was a bloody shame TFC lost to Seattle in the Final like that with the winning side not making a single shot on goal during 120 minutes of play, but it laid the foundation for the next season.

2017, the year of the Big Red Machine in MLS. With the addition of Victor Vazquez to the lineup, Toronto was just crushing it, defeating their opposition with such ease on their way to a record setting regular season that got them the Supporter's Shield as well as the Voyageurs Cup for winning the Canadian Championship. They had a shaky playoff run, nearly losing it all to the New York Red Thugs, but they made it back to the MLS Cup Final at home again to Seattle again. For three quarters of the match, it looked like deja vu, with Toronto dominating play only to see Stephan Frei deny them. Then, Altidore scored and the whole place went up in delirium. When Vazquez scored with just seconds remaining in extra time to secure the Cup for Toronto, you just felt all the years of supporting this team through the heartache and darkness was well worth it. Especially when Bradley lifted the Cup over his head.

Sorry if this post seems too long. But I've pretty much given up on following most of the sports that I grew up with and concentrated the vast majority of my interests with Toronto FC. I invested a lot of money with them through merchandise, travel and watching games both home and away. I've met up with some great people along the way and had some good times with them. I've been to both MLS Cup Finals Toronto has been in live and I wouldn't give up on those experiences for anything. This team has put us through hell, but they've also taken us up to heaven. I never thought I could support any team the way I've supported Toronto FC After ten plus years with them, I can honestly say Toronto 'Till I Die.

tfcfans
02-25-2018, 09:47 PM
^Great Post —- I’m happy mine might not be the longest one up there now....ha ha ha....seriously though, awesome memories deserve to be shared, thanks for sharing.....

Redcoe15
02-26-2018, 12:02 AM
^Great Post —- I’m happy mine might not be the longest one up there now....ha ha ha....seriously though, awesome memories deserve to be shared, thanks for sharing.....

Thanks. I didn't expect it to be so long. I got carried away with all the memories.

Blindside16
02-26-2018, 12:38 AM
I watch other leagues around the world but there is only room for 1 in my heart. I live and die with this club and will never stop supporting it. Toronto 'till I die. Great memories there Redcoe. I can still see that entire match vs. the L'Impact in my mind.

KingLedley
02-26-2018, 09:21 AM
Great post.... I have do make up an extra 30 minutes in the office now.
I love that tagline

Scotty74
02-26-2018, 10:48 AM
Born and bred in Scotland and grew up a Hibs fan, I haven't lived in Scotland since 2001, been in Toronto for 5 years now. I'll always be a Hibs fan but with each passing year my interest in Scottish football wanes just a little bit more(the lack of competition in the league and zero TV coverage in North America doesn't help) As I invest more and more of my time and money into TFC and watching other MLS games on TV, the reds are getting closer and closer to becoming my 'first' team

OfficeGuy
02-26-2018, 12:47 PM
Purely TFC

Awesome post Redcoe15 (http://forums.redpatchboys.ca/member.php?1429-Redcoe15)
....Enjoyed reading that one

magmadragon
02-26-2018, 04:21 PM
I hated soccer growing up. I thought it was boring and sucked. That all said I didn't really watch much sports as a kid. If it wasn't a cartoon, I wasn't interested. But I did see the Jays win the World Series and the Raptors come into existence. I pretty much only played basketball as a kid since all you needed was a ball and hoops were readily available in Parkdale. I would catch the odd Leafs playoff game but I didn't have much interest in hockey. My parents didn't have much money so I could count on 1 hand how many live Jays games I went to. The rest, forget it, money wasn't there.

A lot of this stems from not having a soccer team to follow. Canada only qualified for the World Cup the one time the year I was born. Canada and Poland both sucked hard in the 90s. My dad would mention the glory years of Boniek in the 70s, but I had no frame of reference as I grew up in Toronto, so I had no real emotional connection to past Polish glory. My Italian and Portuguese friends at least had something to watch at Euro or World Cup time, they all seemed to have an uncle who had whatever satellite channel that showed games from the old country. No such thing for me. I think World Cup 94 completely flew under my radar. Add to that no Toronto team to watch and nothing on regular TV and you have a kid who could not care less about soccer.

In high school I started watching some hockey and the NFL. Then the 2002 World Cup rolled around and lo and behold Poland had qualified. Even with the time zone issues, I had something to watch. From then on every two years I had some soccer I could watch (Poland or not). Little by little my interest in the sport would increase. I decided to visit my family in Poland in 2006 for about a month. The World Cup was happening in Germany so I ended up watching a bunch of games on TV and went to a WKS Slask game when they were still in the 2nd division. I was starting to love the game but it was still an every 2 years thing.

TFC itself wasn't on my radar really the first 2 seasons. Yeah I would see people streaming around the neighbourhood after games in their jerseys, but I really couldn't be bothered. I think part of it was some naysayers telling me how the quality was shit and we played on plastic. But then in 2009 a friend of mine decided to grab a pair of tickets on a whim. We went, and I had a super fun time. The noise coming from the south end blew me away. I ended up buying a scarf at the game (which is now adorned in many a TFC signature). I went to 4 more games next season (one being that friendly against Bolton and I believe a CCL game), and I bought a jersey from the Adidas store downtown. I tried to watch some more games but the broadcasting situation in those years was terrible. Remember Gol TV? Who the hell had that channel? It was a mess. Streaming also wasn't that great either.

Regardless. I was sold. I was in. I decided I wanted season tickets. I looked on cragislist early 2011 and a guy was selling his seasons since he was moving away. I've been in 111 every since. My seatmates bailed after that season but I held onto my one seat. At this point you'll have to bury me there because as Leo said - I'm not fucking leaving! I haven't missed a home game since then and over time I would watch more and more away games. I rarely miss one nowadays and generally plan my year around TFC. My wife and I have traveled to Montreal a couple times together in the past few years and are looking forward to the October game this year. The Eastern Final series against the Limpact is the greatest sports thing I have ever witnessed. Nearly missed my megabus back from Montreal because of the the paint issue. Besides watching some NFL due to a pool, I have completely checked out of other sports.

Think about the possibilities available to kids now for soccer entertainment. Streams galore, lots of matches on regular TV, FIFA, and a local team that has become successful. In 15 years when those kids are university age and want to party, like when I first got into TFC, they will be in hook line and sinker. Hopefully the CMNT benefits from this one day.

Toronto Til I Die.

grizzle
02-26-2018, 10:30 PM
I don't follow any teams other than TFC

ScarboroughRed
02-27-2018, 08:37 AM
Grew up with Trinidadian parents, so we did not really have a club back home to support so that was never a factor. My pops was a big Brazil fan so my first big soccer moment was definitely following the 98 World Cup with him. Heartbreaking to say the least lol. I dove more into soccer during the 2002 World Cup, waking up at all weird hours of the night to watch games. Good World Cup. I remember finding my first soccer idol in Ronaldo, he was just so smooth. From there I became a 'Real Madrid fan.'

Next was the coverage of the EPL, before I had soccer practice every Saturday Morning, my dad and I would watch it with breakfast. I had an affinity for Drogba, he was just too cool as well. There I also became a 'Chelsea fan.' I do remember always telling my dad, that I wish we had something Stamford Bridge or Anfield or any atmosphere like that in Toronto, I'd go all the time. He said he could never see it happening. (Not out of pessimism, but rather a man who was knee deep in Ontario soccer and it's mess from the 70s till this day)

Fast forward to the present, I still check the scores for Chelsea and Real Madrid games but a win or lose doesn't bother me one bit. But a TFC draw? OH MAN, livid for the weekend!

The team and academy came a little too late for my shot at the team as a player lol but as a fan, I got my wish as a fan to be able to experience a real soccer atmosphere and I couldn't be happier to be a season ticket holder.

An aside for my dad, I remember taking him to the 2016 playoffs and he was in awe and amazement, I could really see the pride in his eyes as someone who just wanted to spread the love of football to Canandians. This means more to him than it does to me I think. He came from Trinidad in the 70s and got his referee license and coaching licenses and has done a lot for the GTA. He coached guys like DeRo and Serioux and reffed the De Guzman's without questioning the fact that opportunities were slim for Canadians. Kudos to those old heads who kept on believing in the dream that soccer would be taken seriously and be seen as a spectator sport.

mistercorporate
02-27-2018, 09:05 AM
TFC is the only sports team I've ever truly supported (as in watch games, talk about, purchase tickets and kit, etc.), period.

James17930
02-27-2018, 10:17 AM
Loving all the stories in this thread!

cmonyoureds
02-27-2018, 12:04 PM
In Fever Pitch, Nick Hornby talks about things that make a perfect game: rain, atrocious refereeing decisions, lots of goals, coming from behind to win. The Eastern final had all of that. And when Nick Hagglund jumped about eight feet in the air to head home the goal that made it 5-5 on aggregate, the stadium absolutely exploded. It was utter pandemonium. The two goals in extra time (Cheyrou, Ricketts), the ones that actually put us in the final, were pretty good too. But that was the goal that made everyone believe. The moment when we went from loving them to wanting to marry them.

The single greatest live event I have ever attended in terms of emotional investment and roller coaster events. It pefectly summed up football support on every level.

Do I "follow" other teams/sports. Yes.
However TFC is the only team I will sit in a muddy field in Columbus for, roach motel it in Montreal, drive hellbent to Foxboro last minute, stand drenched waiting out a t-storm until the game is called at BMO, interact with a supporter club, and actively promote amongst those I know.

Mateo1985
02-27-2018, 12:04 PM
Only TFC for me. When I left back home there was no soccer club there so while I enjoyed watching games I never really cheered for any particular club. Now that my home town does have a team I don't really cheer for them.

Only one passion babe. Only TFC

SoccMan2
02-27-2018, 02:39 PM
Well I got into soccer because my dad was always a big fan, first soccer game was in the early 70’s dad taking me to watch the Toronto Metros of the old NASl watching games at Varsity and I was hooked on the sport, I’ve been a fan of all the pro soccer teams that have called Toronto home right up until TFC. As soon as MLS started I followed the league since day one. I even attended a couple of MLS Cup in person in D.C. , even sat in the press box twice at those DC MLS Cups and attended VIP parties and the awards dinnners at both of the MLS Cups DC United hosted back in the early 2000’s lol my friend and I were able to get press credentials that got us in to all the MLS Cup events for free lol. , but always kept hoping Toronto would get a team and when it happened it was amazing to finally get a team in MLS. I’m a TFC fan but I’m also a big Napoli fan in Serie A the city closest to where my parents are from.

TheGoodson
02-27-2018, 03:41 PM
TFC isn't my first soccer club... Soccer was introduced to me by my grandfather as a young kid. We would watch Juve games when ever we got that chance whether it was live or on VHS. He would tell me stories of all of the legendary players and matches that he saw. Juve will always be a part of me for that reason and for the longest time they were the only sports team that I had that were consistently winners.

When TFC was announced, my brother and I got a set of tickets not sure what to expect (we now own 4). I missed the first game but was there for TFC's first goal and I was hooked. This was my team in my city. I had friends mock me due to the terrible product on the pitch, but it didn't matter as this was my club and I was going to be there through think and thin, summer heat waves, torrential down pours and it being cold as f$@k out there. I never wavered, even after Koverman's comments of being the worst team in the world and the shit show that was our FO, I bled TFC. I been all over the US and Canada to watch them play and the sense of camaraderie with other fans where ever I went was something that I never experienced before and has changed me and I realized now how a team can mean more than just results. I have seen children grow up from being babies in year one to now being early teenager or teenagers become young adults. This to me is what this club is about it is the connections to my fellow supporters and to the team that I don't think can ever really be replicated.

Mekajake
02-28-2018, 12:02 PM
Great thread. Love seeing the cross section of supporters and fans.

TFC is the only football team I follow - and MLS only league watch (other than the odd game). In fact, TFC is pretty much the first time I've been a real fan of any team in any sport.

Grew up as a hockey fan - watching as much of anything I could and while liked the Habs I wasn't a true fan. More a case of just loving individual players on different teams. As I got older and played more elite levels, that became even less the case of following any team. Eventually I spent time in NHL teams systems a player and never really understood through my own eyes what the fan experience was. Of course, always excited to go to baseball games or the odd CFL or NFL game - but again, never as a true fan of a team. Was (am) a Bills fan but not die hard by any means. When playing in Europe I was introduced to live football, going to a number of games there. Immediately loved the game - especially live. After a couple years back in Canada made my way to first TFC game (CCL game at home to Cruz Azul) and was hooked. Next season I had partial pack, joined waiting list and been SSH since next year after.

It's through TFC that I've come to enjoy being a fan, following the team, buying gear, reading these boards and the like. I've since moved from GTA to Windsor and kept my seats. Even though I only get to a handful of games a year, still worth it to me. I'll admit through all this I've been able to relax more, enjoy sports as a spectator and immerse myself in the experience. TFC has been gateway to me enjoy that side of hockey more and supporting Argos (even through what has become the huge stadium dilemma).

So in those terms, I see myself a pure TFC fan - especially in terms of soccer/football.

Ponderosa
02-28-2018, 01:39 PM
I've found it hard to attend other sports baseball, hockey, basketball- having gotten used to TFC and the atmo at BMO.

Last summer my 5 year old was dying to go to a Jay's game because all his friends had t-shirts watched it...so we got a pair of tickets gifted to us for his first foray...
- he quite loudly asked why no one around us was singing OhCanada!
- Didn't understand the concept that everyone took a turn in baseball, - he kept waiting for the rest of the team to 'come out'
- was utterly perplexed and confused by The Wave
- and my favourite part of the afternoon...when he asked if he could sing for the team... then stood up and belted out 'Sebastian Gio-vin-co!'

Out of the Mouths of Babes as they say...

We didn't fare much better at the comp't Leafs pre-season game at Ricoh...so my little guy- definitely TFC-Pure!