PDA

View Full Version : TFC Points Poll for 2018

Initial B
02-23-2018, 09:08 AM
And now for the 6th Annual poll of our expectations for TFC this year! Below is the link to last year's prognostications, which also contains links to previous years' polls.

http://forums.redpatchboys.ca/showth...or-TFC-in-2017 (http://forums.redpatchboys.ca/showthread.php?40072-How-Many-Points-for-TFC-in-2017)

One game down and I thought they looked pretty good. Same group as last year almost, so I don't see a great loss in form. However, I see signs that Moor might finally be losing a step. I'm hoping our young backline will be up to the challenge when they're called on to be regular starters. The West is still going to be weaker this year and I can't see them losing or drawing more than 2-3 games against that opposition, but the East looks to be reloaded and tougher than ever, especially Atlanta. I'm thinking they end up with 67 points this year and a 19-10-5 record, but I've been known to always underestimate their actual results.

StokeciTFC
02-23-2018, 09:25 AM
I'm one to err on the side of caution when it comes to predicting a season's success and have gone with 59-62 points, but still Conference Champs. Atlanta does worry me slightly but I see us pipping them to the post however, I don't envisage the same level of domination as last year.

backbeat
02-23-2018, 09:29 AM
Legendary man!!

I like the consistency with the dynamic additions

......roll me over lay me down and do it again.....

GerMc
02-23-2018, 09:57 AM
I predicted 66 last year, but they did even better...so this year I am going to go with the aspirational and say 72, even with all the CCL games! Last year was the GOAT, but this year will be even better!

Mike_S
02-23-2018, 10:00 AM
I voted 68+. With this team, you should go big or go home. :D:D

notthesun
02-23-2018, 10:00 AM
With what's looking like an even stronger East and CCL to manage, I will be conservative and say 59-62 points. But another dream of a season wouldn't surprise me with the squad we've put together.

Detroit_TFC
02-23-2018, 10:41 AM
I definitely feel the squad is stronger than last season but with so many new players coming into the league, I don't have a clue about how the competition will be this season. A good finish in the conference seems likely but beyond that into the playoffs, who knows?

Joe Kool
02-23-2018, 11:00 AM
I had to vote for Legendary. I feel this team improved and I have confidence in this group. I see no reason why they can't repeat what they did last year IF they stay focused like last year. I think this group will keep the focus. If they start thinking they are legendary themselves then we could be in trouble. I know some other teams improved as well but I don't see anything that TFC shouldn't be able to handle. Also, I don't think Giovinco is happy with how his personal stats were last year. He is the type of guy that wants the MVP and Golden Boot every year. He will stay driven and maybe with our redesigned supporting cast he can get there again.

Blkndkr
02-23-2018, 11:28 AM
This is exactly how I feel:
I had to vote for Legendary. I feel this team improved and I have confidence in this group. I see no reason why they can't repeat what they did last year IF they stay focused like last year. I think this group will keep the focus. If they start thinking they are legendary themselves then we could be in trouble. I know some other teams improved as well but I don't see anything that TFC shouldn't be able to handle. Also, I don't think Giovinco is happy with how his personal stats were last year. He is the type of guy that wants the MVP and Golden Boot every year. He will stay driven and maybe with our redesigned supporting cast he can get there again.

So many weapons added to an already strong cast. Focus will be key, though I get the sense Bradley will demand nothing less from every teammate. Focus will be followed closely by integration of the new guys, all who significantly elevate the talent level. The challenge will be making all the parts fit. Teams win, not players. Last year it worked and I like to think the new guys took into consideration TFC's 'team first' ethos when making their decision to sign.

kodiakTFC
02-23-2018, 12:54 PM
First to 70!

02-23-2018, 01:56 PM
Sixty-five

Red CB Toronto
02-23-2018, 02:08 PM
I was at least one more point for the Reds this season, so the starting point in my mind is 70 ( :

TFC1154ever
02-23-2018, 02:11 PM
I think we are going to lose less games this year, but tie a few more. 3-4 losses, 66 points, 1st in the east, with Atlanta right up our ass almost the whole way.

Auzzy
02-23-2018, 02:41 PM
All your point are belong to us!

Joe Kool
02-23-2018, 02:42 PM
34 game winning streak....

OgtheDim
02-23-2018, 02:58 PM
Elite team but something tells me NYC is going to pip us to 1st in the East.

TFC1154ever
02-23-2018, 03:29 PM
Another thing I just thought of, was that bad start that we got off too. 7 points in our first 6 games. If we can avoid a lull, we could up our point total from last year. I do think we will tie more games this year though. Might lose less then 5 though.

TFC07
02-23-2018, 05:11 PM
69 points, 1st in the east.

wopchop
02-23-2018, 05:21 PM
I think that the team looks even better than last year, but on the other hand, the East also looks even better. Atlanta and NYC look dangerous. I also think the Red Bulls will be good.

I'm thinking somewhere in the 60-65 pt range (I picked 63-67 in the poll)

I also agree with the above that if Gio is back to full fitness, he is going to be hungry for blood.

ensco
02-23-2018, 05:29 PM
I picked legendary, but it might not be enough to win east

I think the league will cleave into haves and have nots. There will be several TFC circa 2012 type teams. I expect Atlanta and NYCFC, to exceed 60 points. I also think SKC is a very good team that had a big offseason and could put up big numbers out west.

Cuppy
02-23-2018, 08:16 PM
I feel as though legendary status should have been my go to choice. My worry is what everyone else has ramped up to become. Not that I’m worried about the competition but the results will be tight as last season was a real wake up call to those around us. As like the inauguration of TFC to MLS where it introduced the league to supporter culture last season was a wake up call to what teams need to strive and become

Initial B
02-23-2018, 08:26 PM
Honestly, I can't see any east team that can catch TFC besides Atlanta (assuming Tata has learned not to drive his players into the ground). Even NYCFC is heavily reliant on Villa and if he loses a step this year, there goes their offence.

General Woolfe
02-23-2018, 09:02 PM
To be honest, although the LA sides will be a bit of an unknown quantity this season (the captains dad looks to have built wisely, and I can’t see the Galaxy, arguably the league’s greatest ever side, having another year in the doldrums) Atlanta are the one side I can see giving us a real challenge this year. More than who we’ve brought in, the fact we’ve kept together a great side with quality in depth, is the real bonus for us this season. I see no reason why we shouldn’t feel optimistic about a repeat. Greg Moor is the only player who seems to have aged a little, whilst the rest of our squad are very much in their prime. Loosing Edwards was a real bummer but if we are honest for all his potential he still had a roughness to his game and was far from being a gaurenteed starter. I think it’s the fact that it was Montreal who scooped him that makes losing him feel more painful.

Realistically speaking it would seem we could even use Clint Irwin as trade bait if needed this year, which is strange given we traded Mark Bloom to keep him a year ago. That would seem to indicate we saw him as a starter and Bono’s rise an unexpected bonus.

I think were in great shape and I feel very optimistic going into this season, only a dramatic drop in form by several players simultaneously would dent my confidence of another great year for the Reds. Repeating is a very difficult thing to do in NA sports, particularly one with a salary cap. However, Bezbatchenko has played a blinder in the front office for TFC and in all honesty we should be realistically looking at a threepeat this year such is his accomplishments since taking over as GM and how plain unlucky we were in 2016

Long may the good times continue to roll down BMO way

molenshtain
02-23-2018, 09:17 PM
I think we should really calm down with the hype about this team. We just broke a very difficult record to beat and completed the treble. This season won't be as good. I return to the mean is likely, even if we are in fact an improved product on the field.

I think we drop more points early in the season as we juggle competitions and travel than many expect. I suspect we Arena this and rotate heavily the first half of the season and get red hot for the second half as we get healthy and cohesive. I suspect we finish 55-60 points.

PizzaEatingYeti
02-24-2018, 04:38 AM
I picked 63-67 points, and I think we'll end with 66 points, enough for Supporter Shield winners again.
The next team (either Atlanta or NYCFC) will end with just 3-4 points less than us.
Then the 3rd team in the East will end with just 6-8 points less than us.

I am really surprised that so many people are so hyped up thinking we'll be in the 68+ points and Legendary Team category again.

Yes, we added 3 great players, but others may have improved more compared to their 2017 teams.
I am cautiously optimistic with the 3 great looking additions, because one of the three can be a semi-bust (and even then this was a super job by Bez et co.).
As others already said, we may have one less defeat this year, but 3-4 more ties than last year... resulting in less points per total.

OgtheDim
02-24-2018, 06:48 AM
Honestly, I can't see any east team that can catch TFC besides Atlanta (assuming Tata has learned not to drive his players into the ground)....

He's been starting his best players every single friendly and leaving them there with only changes around the back & the odd sub up front. They seem to be relying upon not having that killer 7 games in one month schedule. They are going to fade just like SKC does every season.

ensco
02-24-2018, 08:17 AM
Just on the caliber of our off season vs everyone else's ... we took the best team in MLS history, lost a starter but upgraded him, and added two significant players that would be guaranteed starters for any other MLS team... who did more than us ex Atlanta?

Legendary is the right starting point. The risk is injuries, not other teams (and even then, our depth is unreal by league historical standards)

It's a shame our home game with Atlanta is the last game of the season. I'd like a good look at them earlier.

Shakes McQueen
02-24-2018, 12:43 PM
And now for the 6th Annual poll of our expectations for TFC this year! Below is the link to last year's prognostications, which also contains links to previous years' polls.

http://forums.redpatchboys.ca/showth...or-TFC-in-2017 (http://forums.redpatchboys.ca/showthread.php?40072-How-Many-Points-for-TFC-in-2017)

One game down and I thought they looked pretty good. Same group as last year almost, so I don't see a great loss in form. However, I see signs that Moor might finally be losing a step. I'm hoping our young backline will be up to the challenge when they're called on to be regular starters. The West is still going to be weaker this year and I can't see them losing or drawing more than 2-3 games against that opposition, but the East looks to be reloaded and tougher than ever, especially Atlanta. I'm thinking they end up with 67 points this year and a 19-10-5 record, but I've been known to always underestimate their actual results.

I wouldn't judge Moor based on that icebox game (or anyone else, for that matter). Howard looked like he didn't even want to dive for balls, because of how cold it was. -15C is unnatural weather to be playing soccer in.

Shakes McQueen
02-24-2018, 12:50 PM
I think we can beat our 2017 point title, simply because we were a bit undone by sagging form down the final stretch of last season, that cost us some easy points.

That said, several teams in the East got better, and with TFC focused on CCL they might rest key guys some weeks this season, that they wouldn't have rested last year.

As long as we get the most points, I don't really care what the total is. :)

ensco
02-24-2018, 12:56 PM
Here's another thing I want this year....

Can we please annilihate Seattle on May 9? It bugs me that they held us with catenaccio for most of the two Cup games?

We need to kick their sorry lime green asses.

KingLedley
02-24-2018, 04:56 PM
I think we will clinch the Supporters Shield and fight for the MLS Cup at home again. But the other teams like Atlanta and NYCFC are tooling up, so it's gonna be a real fight

backbeat
02-25-2018, 06:55 PM
Here's another thing I want this year....

Can we please annilihate Seattle on May 9? It bugs me that they held us with catenaccio for most of the two Cup games?

We need to kick their sorry lime green asses.

A BIG Fn' amen to that!!

Blindside16
02-25-2018, 11:58 PM
I erred on the side of caution with my vote last year. Not this time around. Where we lost bodies, we upgraded from last year. This team is a force. I am saying 70 points, repeat as Shield winners, then get ready for the dog fight that will be the East playoffs.

Oldtimer
02-26-2018, 06:15 AM
I think that the CCL will make winning the Supporters Shield again a bit too much. Solid team, final four for sure, maybe win the cup again. If in the final it may be an away game or at BMO depending on the final seedings.

TheGoodson
02-26-2018, 08:06 AM
I think TFC will get 64 points... but I don't think we will win the supporters shield as I think the teams in the east will beat up on each other and some team in the west maybe Portland if they stay healthy wins it.

But we will go on to win our 2nd cup and become the greatest franchise in MLS history period.

James17930
02-26-2018, 08:54 AM
I think we can win everything again because of our continuity, and because I think Vanney will create a savvy rotation regimen and everyone will buy into it, keeping them all as fresh and healthy as can be.

As for the Club World Cup and the quintuple, well ... that one will be harder.

ensco
02-26-2018, 08:59 AM
You know, the “historic season” stuff is a bit overblown. When you look at what TFC did last year (20-9-5), it's not that impressive by world football standards. (Chelsea last year were 30-3-5. The Arsenal invincibles were 26-12-0.)

This is an increasingly uncapped league. I expect good teams to be able to win on the road now, and the TFC season points mark to be smashed this year. By us I think, but maybe by multiple teams.

Canary10
02-26-2018, 10:31 AM
You know, the “historic season” stuff is a bit overblown. When you look at what TFC did last year (20-9-5), it's not that impressive by world football standards. (Chelsea last year were 30-3-5. The Arsenal invincibles were 26-12-0.)

This is an increasingly uncapped league. I expect good teams to be able to win on the road now, and the TFC season points mark to be smashed this year. By us I think, but maybe by multiple teams.

You might be right. But I think most teams, maybe all teams but us, lack the intensity game in and game out required to put up a season like those teams in the EPL do. I think it's down to the fact that the season doesn't matter in MLS. In all the other leagues, there is little room for a slip throughout the season if you want to be champions and, frankly, if you want to avoid relegation. The intensity level they play at every game is so much higher. In the middle of summer in MLS you can see the intensity just drop in most teams.Doesn't get back up again until like late August-September. Then the playoffs are a whole other level.

MartinUtd
02-26-2018, 10:39 AM
It just seems like yesterday that 47-50 points was extremely optimistic.

Initial B
02-26-2018, 01:03 PM
When I first did this poll 6 years ago, 40+ points was the highest points choice. TFC got 29 that year. The club has come a long way since the nadir.

Detroit_TFC
02-27-2018, 09:52 AM
When I first did this poll 6 years ago, 40+ points was the highest points choice. TFC got 29 that year. The club has come a long way since the nadir.

I was just thinking about past polls. If you took this current poll back in time, people couldn't even conceive of how this could happen.

Oldtimer
10-28-2018, 07:44 AM
100% of us were wrong about the final point total.

Red CB Toronto
10-28-2018, 09:13 AM

Its pretty straightforward, the Reds shit the bed this year, I hope we don't because of it see a big drop off in attendance and season seat renewal as a less full BMO will not be fun.

PizzaEatingYeti
10-28-2018, 09:18 AM

Yeah, unfortunately this season was beyond any imaginable bad at the start...
"Utter shit" is the only valid name we can call it.

Red4ever
10-28-2018, 11:08 AM
Of all the people who were 100% wrong, I was least wrong!

Initial B
10-28-2018, 06:39 PM
Whelp, another season in the books. I suppose that TFC was due to come down and that the CCL/MLS Cup hangover is real, but I don't think *anyone* could have predicted such an epic collapse even worse than 2016-2017 FC Dallas. 36 Points is just within Cellar Dweller Territory, though really I think they should be in the Lower Table team category (I'll revise that for next year).

So what went wrong? I'd have to say the following:

1. Injuries
2. Less intense mentality
3. Team chemistry

The injuries really did a number on TFC this year - it's as if all the positive karma from last year was balanced out by the negative this year. Loss of some players like Chyerou and Beitashour from last year's team and some additions that didn't pan out (*cough*Akexte*cough*) resulted in something being off about the team all year. I think that they may have burnt out from pretty much 32 months of soccer with no break.

I'm hoping they can all rest up and be ready to return to preseason training right after new years to prepare for the upcoming CCL run. I also hope that Bez and the scouts come up with new players to fill the gaps in the roster. I can't feel too bitter about this year because last year was so magical. We still have the Treble and one of the highest wins and Goal Differentials in MLS history and nobody can take those away. Time to get off the ride, take a breather, and get in line to climb back aboard the roller coaster next year.

See you in line...