PDA

View Full Version : CCL Rd. of 16 2nd Leg - Colorado @ TFC Tue Feb 27 8pm - Still the One I Want

OgtheDim
02-21-2018, 12:07 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RpXAid5QWss

We've Had So Many Magical Nights

You'll always be a part of Me

No Matter how we get along

Have at It People

James17930
02-21-2018, 03:45 AM
So does Vanney stick with the same lineup for this one or rotate?

Blindside16
02-21-2018, 05:10 AM

I think we see some rotation. Having a 2-0 lead with the away goals leaves a huge hole for Colorado to dig themselves out of, especially if we can bang in 1 more. Having the season opener 4 days later may play a part as well. I think we will see Mavinga and VDW make their debuts, possibly Hamilton up front and Chapman in the midfield.

James17930
02-21-2018, 06:07 AM
I think we see some rotation. Having a 2-0 lead with the away goals leaves a huge hole for Colorado to dig themselves out of, especially if we can bang in 1 more. Having the season opener 4 days later may play a part as well. I think we will see Mavinga and VDW make their debuts, possibly Hamilton up front and Chapman in the midfield.

I'm thinking it would be good to rotate too. Keeps everyone fresh and invested.

Red CB Toronto
02-21-2018, 07:29 AM
I want them to go all out next Tuesday and then think about Saturday.

Initial B
02-21-2018, 07:56 AM
I'm pretty sure van der Weil will play in the next game. I woder if Vanney will play around with the formations again and maybe trot out a flat 4-4-2 to bring both Auro and vdW on the same side. I think this is the one game Vanney can experiment with.

Captain
02-21-2018, 08:54 AM
Very seldom does Vanney not go with the best line up he has available for every game no matter what competition it is. This is one time I want to see him sit Bradley. The risk of losing him for a Tigres game is too high.

ensco
02-21-2018, 09:20 AM

While I want to get the new guys more minutes, Vanney always rewards success.

This game will also be a celebration, a fun run out in front of delirious supporters. The stands will be half full, the weather will be crap (even if not Siberia, still pretty awful), the people who are there are the ones who want to be there... this will be an awesome experience for the players, sharing this with the hardcores.

The Seattle lineup earned this. Everyone who started that game (except Beita obviously) gets to start.

Mavinga and vdW come in, Hagglund and Auro go to the bench. Auro subs for vdW at 60 minutes.

Once the tie is 100% setttled... Bradley gets subbed off for Chapman, Moor for Zavaleta.

Kamp Berg
02-21-2018, 09:23 AM
If the tie is in the bag it would be a perfect time to trot Fraser out for Bradley, especially if an additional defender is subbed in first.

ensco
02-21-2018, 09:25 AM
If the tie is in the bag it would be a perfect time to trot Fraser out for Bradley, especially if an additional defender is subbed in first.

Only if Fraser has been obviously better than Chapman in training.

I doubt that. Chapman had some pretty good games last year.

notthesun
02-21-2018, 09:43 AM
Only if Fraser has been obviously better than Chapman in training.

I doubt that. Chapman had some pretty good games last year.

We're not gonna play Chapman at DM. He'd come in for Vazquez.

Tdot_LFC
02-21-2018, 10:04 AM
Bradley should’ve found a way to take that 2nd yellow last night and just take the suspension for the 2nd leg of this tie. Now the risk is there to lose him at a time he’ll be need more in this tournament.

Oldtimer
02-21-2018, 10:21 AM
Bradley should’ve found a way to take that 2nd yellow last night and just take the suspension for the 2nd leg of this tie. Now the risk is there to lose him at a time he’ll be need more in this tournament.

He could be suspended for more than one match, depending on the nature of the offense. He just needs to stop getting stupid yellows.

Red CB Toronto
02-21-2018, 10:26 AM

This game will also be a celebration, a fun run out in front of delirious supporters. The stands will be half full, the weather will be crap (even if not Siberia, still pretty awful), the people who are there are the ones who want to be there... this will be an awesome experience for the players, sharing this with the hardcores.

The Seattle lineup earned this. Everyone who started that game (except Beita obviously) gets to start.

Mavinga and vdW come in, Hagglund and Auro go to the bench. Auro subs for vdW at 60 minutes.

Once the tie is 100% setttled... Bradley gets subbed off for Chapman, Moor for Zavaleta.

It will be a good one, TFC has sold about 25K or so tickets for this due to it being in our season seat packages. Can’t really see 7-8k or more tickets outright not being used. Now yes I do see Greg rewarding the team from last night in the return leg.

Fort York Redcoat
02-21-2018, 12:24 PM

Well said.

Can't wait to be there

Kaz
02-21-2018, 01:08 PM

The stands will be half full, the weather will be crap (even if not Siberia, still pretty awful), the people who are there are the ones who want to be there... this will be an awesome experience for the players, sharing this with the hardcores.

Ticketmaster has the game fairly heavily sold.. but I'm kinda pissed as I can now get better seats for less money then during the presale. Not a lot less but when you drop ticket prices a week before the game people who bought early should get the difference back. I'm just being frugal I suppose.

OgtheDim
02-21-2018, 02:53 PM
25K of season seat holders get a ticket for this - not a lot left to go that's new after all that.

The resale tickets on TM though tell the real story.

ryan
02-22-2018, 01:27 PM
weather forecast seems to be improving by a couple degrees.

can't fuckin wait for this one. ive missed the tournament so much.

Auzzy
02-22-2018, 04:24 PM
weather forecast seems to be improving by a couple degrees.

can't fuckin wait for this one. ive missed the tournament so much.

Woohoo, shirts off! Pants optional!

ensco
02-23-2018, 12:11 PM
I probably wouldn't put Aketxe in Tuesday unless you are certain he's in the mix for the Columbus and Tigres games.

Which I am not certain of.

Continuity counts for a lot in life, Oso and Delgado know how to link up with Seba and Jozy.

I think Vanney needs to get vdW in, work Auro in, keep Zavaleta sharp, and get Bradley's potential DM replacement some minutes (in case Bradley gets that 2nd yellow)... so not sure how Ager slots in. If Bradley won't come off, then Ricketts should get that third sub, we need him too against Tigres.

I'd think about getting Ager ready for live minutes starting in mid March.

Cas87
02-23-2018, 12:25 PM
I feel as though this will be a 4-4-2 game:

---------------------------------Bono-----------------------------------------
-----VdW------------Moor*-------------Mavinga*--------------Morrow------
---------------------------------Bradley--------------------------------------
-----------------------Auro*---------------Oso-------------------------------
---------------------------------Vazquez--------------------------------------
----------------------Jozy-------------------Seba-----------------------------

*Mavinga/Moor and Auro could be interchanged with Hagglund/Zavaleta and Delgado, respectively. I just personally feel as though Vanney will rotate at least a little in this game and get VdW and Mavinga some minutes.
Aketxe will get a cameo on Tuesday (10-15 minutes, especially if we are up). Ricketts I am unsure of as we do not know how fit he is after his health issue in pre-season, JHams probably with 20 minutes or so (to spell Jozy in particular).
If it really gets out of hand with the score I could also see Ayo Akinola or Liam Fraser getting a run out.

With the CCL and Home Opener within 4 days, rotation will be the name of the game.

rydermike
02-23-2018, 05:05 PM
With a 2 away goal lead and a weak Rapids squad, I wouldn't mind putting Aketxe out as a starter, see what he has, rather than getting his first experience in an MLS or Quarter Final game.

-----------Irwin----------------------
VdW-----Moor-Mavinga-----Morrow
-------------Hasler/Delgado-----------
Auro---------Vasquez-----------Aketxe
-----Altidore-----Giovinco------------

Give Irwin some burn, eliminate Bradley second yellow

Experiment with VdW,Aketxe first games and Auro, Hasler new positions

Not our best XI configuration, but still better than anything Colorado has

Shway
02-23-2018, 07:06 PM
^ the Bradley part makes complete sense, but I can't see him sitting...L's hope he doesn't get concacafed twice.

Red CB Toronto
02-23-2018, 08:10 PM
Michael Bradley does not does sit, simple as that. You would have to shoot him first Other than that I agree with your post.

With a 2 away goal lead and a weak Rapids squad, I wouldn't mind putting Aketxe out as a starter, see what he has, rather than getting his first experience in an MLS or Quarter Final game.

-----------Irwin----------------------
VdW-----Moor-Mavinga-----Morrow
-------------Hasler/Delgado-----------
Auro---------Vasquez-----------Aketxe
-----Altidore-----Giovinco------------

Give Irwin some burn, eliminate Bradley second yellow

Experiment with VdW,Aketxe first games and Auro, Hasler new positions

Not our best XI configuration, but still better than anything Colorado has

molenshtain
02-23-2018, 08:37 PM
Bradley got a yellow in the first both the first rounds of the playoffs the last two years and managed it best he could. Calls won't come like that against Mexican teams. He'll be fine.

Richard
02-23-2018, 08:42 PM
Yes Bradley is Mr. Iron Man but no player is above the club.

If Vanney decides its best to have him sit out he should be able to make that call.

Id rather we have him guaranteed to play the 1st game of the quarter final.

RealG-TFC
02-23-2018, 09:08 PM
Hmm, I can almost see the argument in playing him and risking him missing the first leg, seeing as I would rather him be guaranteed to play the second leg.

I'd much rather Bradley be suspended for a first leg home match than a second leg down south.

Globetrotter
02-23-2018, 09:18 PM
When was the last time Bradley was rested from starting a game for TFC? (excluding international call ups). Try to exclude canadian championship cups/nutrilite whatever it's called.

Fort York Redcoat
02-23-2018, 11:28 PM
The V cup

James17930
02-24-2018, 01:27 AM
Hmm, I can almost see the argument in playing him and risking him missing the first leg, seeing as I would rather him be guaranteed to play the second leg.

I'd much rather Bradley be suspended for a first leg home match than a second leg down south.

That's what I was thinking too.

BenRhodes23
02-24-2018, 05:52 PM
Van der Wiel put a picture on his Instagram story of his wife in a hospital. With any luck the baby is born today, the baby and mother are healthy without complications and VdW starts on Tuesday!

Defoe
02-24-2018, 06:14 PM
Van der Wiel put a picture on his Instagram story of his wife in a hospital. With any luck the baby is born today, the baby and mother are healthy without complications and VdW starts on Tuesday!

The game is only 90 minutes; i'm sure he can go play a quick game of football :hump:

James17930
02-24-2018, 06:15 PM
The game is only 90 minutes; i'm sure he can go play a quick game of football :hump:

If she's in labour now then sure. If the baby was coming out the day of the game then I'm sure he wouldn't be able to.

BenRhodes23
02-24-2018, 06:28 PM
If she's in labour now then sure. If the baby was coming out the day of the game then I'm sure he wouldn't be able to.

I'm sure he'd be able to play but he wouldn't want to. These moments don't come around often

OgtheDim
02-24-2018, 06:28 PM

Based on his relationship with his partner, no way he would want to be at a game the day their kid is born.

ensco
02-24-2018, 06:30 PM
^Childbirth per se is not the issue. Vanney wants to know that everything is 100% fine, that vdW is free to focus on football only, and that vdW can be counted on for the Tigres games. None of those things will be true if there are any complications for mother or child.

Vanney is great. This is going to be van der Wiel's call. Vanney is signalling his view of what counts here, and making sure that the player makes the right decision, for player and team.

If there is a question, Vanney will play Auro 90 minutes Tuesday, and Auro will be the starter against Tigres, and we wait until mid March to work VdW in.

OgtheDim
02-25-2018, 06:24 PM
So Tuesday weather right now- 8 degrees high during the day & 5 at game time. Winds out of the SW @27 k.

Could be a lot worse but still going to bundle up.

Bobo
02-25-2018, 06:42 PM
So Tuesday weather right now- 8 degrees high during the day & 5 at game time. Winds out of the SW @27 k.

Rr9fnreohWE

backbeat
02-25-2018, 06:48 PM

that's far warmer than i thought it might be way back when they announced the dates for this match

i ain't complaining....hell it's February in the big smoke!!

but i agree, i'll still bundle up

can't wait....

Defoe
02-25-2018, 09:03 PM
that's far warmer than i thought it might be way back when they announced the dates for this match

i ain't complaining....hell it's February in the big smoke!!

but i agree, i'll still bundle up

can't wait....

That's 24 °C / 41 °F warmer then last week in Denver

Oldtimer
02-25-2018, 10:09 PM
That's 24 °C / 41 °F warmer then last week in Denver

I don't think those numbers are quite right, but the sentiment is good.

Red CB Toronto
02-26-2018, 05:03 AM
Can't believe it. Can you feel it. It's almost here, one more sleep until we are all back at our home away from home. Still can't believe it, shaking my head really that it will be only 81 days since we were all last at BMO Field watching our beloved Reds win their first MLS Cup. Bring it on !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

https://cdn.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/-ZDJCkuTgobMf72nSeeLY4hVHFY=/0x0:3421x2266/1200x800/filters:focal(1574x855:2120x1401)/cdn.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_image/image/57921627/usa_today_10469588.0.jpg

BenRhodes23
02-26-2018, 01:45 PM
Van der Wiel's wife has given birth now and all seems to have gone smoothly. Hopefully we get a look at him tomorrow night

Auzzy
02-26-2018, 02:02 PM
Van der Wiel's wife has given birth now and all seems to have gone smoothly. Hopefully we get a look at him tomorrow night

As per John Molinaro, GvdW is in training today, and Vanney said he's available to play tomorrow. Ager Aketxe's ITC also came through, and Vanney hinted he may see some playing time as well.

I'm guessing 2nd half subs for these two guys, but we'll see.

notthesun
02-26-2018, 02:10 PM
I'm sure we'll see Aketxe off the bench in the 2nd half. I think VdW might start though.

Super
02-26-2018, 05:09 PM
I really hope that GvdW starts tomorrow, or at the very least makes a proper appearance. I'm really curious to see what he can add to the team. Same with Ager.

Mike_S
02-26-2018, 07:53 PM
As per John Molinaro, GvdW is in training today, and Vanney said he's available to play tomorrow. Ager Aketxe's ITC also came through, and Vanney hinted he may see some playing time as well.

I'm personally expecting VdW to start and Aketxe to sub in during the 2nd half, possibly for Oso. There was an expectation for VdW would start last Tuesday so he should be ready to step in, and I assume he was still training at times during the week.

ensco
02-26-2018, 08:59 PM
So... Altidore song at 66:15?

tfcfans
02-26-2018, 09:07 PM
So... Altidore song at 66:15?

I'm still rooting for "my version" to be the chosen one....ha ha ha.....see prior threads (and below)....

OOOOhhhh Jozy Altidore
Jozy Altidore, all he did was score, Jozy Altidore.....

.....to the tune we all know and love.....

Initial B
02-26-2018, 09:37 PM
So what's going to be the tune for the Altidore song?

tfcfans
02-26-2018, 09:54 PM
^Dichio tune.....:)

ensco
02-26-2018, 09:54 PM
I'm still rooting for "my version" to be the chosen one....ha ha ha.....see prior threads (and below)....

OOOOhhhh Jozy Altidore
Jozy Altidore, all he did was score, Jozy Altidore.....

.....to the tune we all know and love.....

I would modestly change this to “all he does is score”, but I support this!

tfcfans
02-26-2018, 10:25 PM
I would modestly change this to “all he does is score”, but I support this!

Thanks! --- I used "did was" as opposed to "does is", as its the reference to a past event at 66:15 (ie. he scored the winning goal that led us to the Championship at that time marker that we are memorializing; if it was a more "generic" Jozy song I would have used the present tense), but it could be done either way.....:)

Red CB Toronto
02-26-2018, 10:45 PM

Yep, was nice to meet Gregory, Ager, Auro and the rest of the lads today as they headed into their first training of the year at BMO. Fully expect to see Gregory and Ager in action tomorrow night.

Blindside16
02-27-2018, 05:31 AM
Just a little over 14 1/2 hours to kickoff. I cannot wait to walk back into BMO tonight. My biggest problem is I work nights and I don't know how I will get any sleep today. As for line ups, I think Vanney runs out the starting 11 from MLS Cup (with VDW in place of Beita). I am calling a 3-0 win and a date with Tigres next Wednesday night.

OgtheDim
02-27-2018, 06:45 AM
The intelligentsia of MLS believe because we went with a 4-4-2 diamond against Seattle & because we went with that against Colorado & twice against teams in preseason that we are now playing the diamond forever.

I doubt it. That only works when the opponent gives up the width.

I think we go with the 3-5-2 - there is too much about it that makes more sense. We lock down the defence & move the ball out wide. We are way too thin & predictable when we go with the diamond.

flatpicker
02-27-2018, 08:29 AM
The intelligentsia of MLS believe because we went with a 4-4-2 diamond against Seattle & because we went with that against Colorado & twice against teams in preseason that we are now playing the diamond forever.

http://image.wikifoundry.com/image/3/a3bca5592f9518809260b4214012a391/GW350H544

Oldtimer
02-27-2018, 08:53 AM
^ lol, except Vanney isn't wedded to any one formation, gthe diamond is one of many.

ScarboroughRed
02-27-2018, 09:18 AM
Yes Vanney is versatile, correct me if I'm wrong but I feel at some point this season, TFC might even go 4-3-3 with the new options. Auro and Aketxe can play as wingers or inverted wingers, Jozy can be a target man or Seba be a false nine. Plus, many other combinations. :idea:

ensco
02-27-2018, 09:25 AM
I think we are going to see more than 3-5-2 or 4-4-2.

I think we are also going to see more in game changes -for instance, Aketxe coming in for Jozy, and us going 4-2-3-1, or 4-3-2-1

We have a lot of new options with Auro and Aketxe.

OgtheDim
02-27-2018, 09:31 AM
I like that idea but I think Aketxe comes in for Seba - would be nice to be proved wrong but Giovinco needs a partner to play off of.

Cas87
02-27-2018, 09:49 AM
First off ....

ITS GAME DAY!!!!!!
https://frinkiac.com/video/S03E13/E0dsVlWXXXY_DGkUfu-dTrOqjzE=.gif

Secondly,
I hate that I am just playing the waiting game at work on a slow day until 5pm to start making my way down for the game.
https://frinkiac.com/video/S04E09/fxwa7Xe-6ogVWJXMOtr7o23kEQo=.gif

Canary10
02-27-2018, 10:38 AM
It's shocking, but the third worst team in MLS last year could be out of the Champions League tonight.

MightyDM
02-27-2018, 12:48 PM
It's shocking, but the third worst team in MLS last year could be out of the Champions League tonight.

So could the best. Let's not get ahead of ourselves

Red CB Toronto
02-27-2018, 01:19 PM
So could the best. Let's not get ahead of ourselves
Look all the Reds are trying to do is live the American dream by not being a hero, they just want to fight like everyone else.

Oldtimer
02-27-2018, 01:45 PM
I expect complete domination, with a clean sheet for TFC.

whositwhatnow
02-27-2018, 01:56 PM
man its such a nice day hope it carries on into the night. GAME DAY!!!

Canary10
02-27-2018, 02:23 PM
man its such a nice day hope it carries on into the night. GAME DAY!!!

I stupidly failed to get a babysitter because I assumed it would be -200 tonight and I likely wouldn't be going. Looks like I effed that up. Guess it's TV for me.

BelfastBoy
02-27-2018, 02:24 PM
Took advantage of some cheap tickets on Stubs. With this weather I hope more people turn up.

Fort York Redcoat
02-27-2018, 03:28 PM
Almost time for Joe's!

19Barrett19
02-27-2018, 03:45 PM
I'll be going tonight can't wait for total domination

ag futbol
02-27-2018, 04:18 PM
Tickets appear to be extremely cheap (but reducing in supply) on stubhub. Hopefully a decent showing to go with the weather.

Auzzy
02-27-2018, 04:36 PM
Tickets appear to be extremely cheap (but reducing in supply) on stubhub. Hopefully a decent showing to go with the weather.

Lots still available in the Ticket Trader thread as well.

Auzzy
02-27-2018, 05:40 PM
PSA: It's 4 to 5 degrees colder now at the waterfront and BMO Field, compared to most of the city & area. (Checking South Parkdale, closest Weather Network location to BMO, and Toronto Islands). That's normal for this time of year, as the cold lake reacts slower to the temperature increase. Dress accordingly!

mowe
02-27-2018, 07:06 PM
https://twitter.com/torontofc/status/968636911370686464

Same lineup as the first leg. Van der Wiel not in the 18, Aketxe on the bench.

Luanda
02-27-2018, 07:07 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DXFJbqeU0AAtT7e.jpg

ensco
02-27-2018, 07:09 PM
So, the Seattle X, plus.... Auro!

Oldtimer
02-27-2018, 07:26 PM
Morgan and Hamilton on the bench. It's likely one of them will see play.

James17930
02-27-2018, 07:33 PM
Interesting that he's just running back the same guys as last week, and no vdW at all. Guess he's had too many sleepless nights the past couple of days.

ronzilla
02-27-2018, 07:35 PM
Can't find too many good streams, this is what I got:

http://wiz1.net/channel74

http://firstrowsports.eu/watch/629262/1/watch-toronto-fc-vs-colorado-rapids.html

https://streamwoop.net/event/2b4e4/Toronto-vs-Colorado

http://cndf69.blogspot.ca/p/1_51.html#150

http://ko.rivosport.co/h2.html#1

Good luck

SirBobSaget
02-27-2018, 07:45 PM
Who's Bradley's backup... Delgado I guess?

oldtraffordPEI
02-27-2018, 08:02 PM
Streamers: https://live.mlssoccer.com/register/freeGame

Free game tonight, just gotta make a quick registration

ensco
02-27-2018, 08:03 PM
That documentary was heavy on the schmaltz

canta15
02-27-2018, 08:22 PM
I'm nervous at the amount of starters on the field

Inklink
02-27-2018, 08:29 PM
Sloppy from TFC so far.

notthesun
02-27-2018, 08:35 PM
This game is way too chippy.

Yohan
02-27-2018, 08:43 PM
I guess Giovinco doesn't want to score tonight. 2 chances that are normally goals for him missed

ag futbol
02-27-2018, 08:43 PM
Some sloppy early season form here. We should have at least a goal

ensco
02-27-2018, 08:48 PM
We look like the playoff team, not the MLS Cup team. Playing with fire.

The field is horrible, and it could end someone's year tonight.

nonc
02-27-2018, 09:02 PM
Brutal half, good news another one in 10 minutes. I see Aketxe and Mavinga starting for Moor and Delgado shortly.

oldtraffordPEI
02-27-2018, 09:03 PM
Although the grass was a miracle to be ready for tonight, it looks like its taking a beating. The groundscrew are going to have their work cut out after tonight.

Auro showed some great flashes, but made a few sloppy passes.

Gio doesn't look sharp.

Herdiano and Tigres are 0-0 at the half as well, Tigres out shooting them 8-0 and had 73% possession

Inklink
02-27-2018, 09:26 PM
What kind of idiot throws a streamer at your own player right as he takes the corner.

JavierMartini
02-27-2018, 09:26 PM
who is the idiot who threw the streamer at VV from 112? the fuck dude

JavierMartini
02-27-2018, 09:27 PM
What kind of idiot throws a streamer at your own player right as he takes the corner.

my thoughts exactly.

ag futbol
02-27-2018, 09:30 PM
Bah, this is frustrating. We need to get our hands dirty.

The gap in quality is obvious but we’re not playing with much in the way of determination

Slick
02-27-2018, 09:33 PM
We don't need to. We have a 2 goal lead.

Nerepis
02-27-2018, 09:34 PM
Starting to turn the screws.

ag futbol
02-27-2018, 09:36 PM
We don't need to. We have a 2 goal lead.
Still, early in the season and it would be nice to show we can “win” at home

notthesun
02-27-2018, 09:41 PM
Osorio probably in the best form of his career

edit: Still can't shoot from distance though lol

Inklink
02-27-2018, 09:42 PM
I like Ager already.

Stupid shot by Osorio.

wopchop
02-27-2018, 09:44 PM
Aketxe looks impressive already. Exciting. His pace totally changed this game.

Inklink
02-27-2018, 09:47 PM
Get used to these refs.

notthesun
02-27-2018, 09:51 PM
We've woken up a bit in the last 10 minutes here.

TheSloanRanger
02-27-2018, 09:52 PM
That gold star though ...

shwade
02-27-2018, 09:58 PM
I can't fucking wait for this season to start. This midfield is STACKED...this is gonna be an exciting year.

shwade
02-27-2018, 09:59 PM
Can't see vdW starting over Auro now...spot is his to lose.

ag futbol
02-27-2018, 10:01 PM
Welp, still time to tune up before Tigres

RedsYNWA
02-27-2018, 10:02 PM
Crappy Game... MOTM Hagglund by a mile

RedsYNWA
02-27-2018, 10:03 PM
Play the B team on SAT.. we need 2 goals v Tigres next week

oldtraffordPEI
02-27-2018, 10:05 PM
Can't see vdW starting over Auro now...spot is his to lose.

I think Auro will probably get a rest next game and give way to VDW, but come time for Tigres I think this will be a very difficult dilemma.

I'm curious if we can play them both. I've tried to figure it out in FIFA 18, its not easy to figure out or best 11 haha, good problem to have!

PizzaEatingYeti
02-27-2018, 10:07 PM
For TFC's standard this was a crap game.

Of course they had zero sense of urgency the whole game, but still... They should have had to try to win it for the fans.
A game to be forgotten forever the minute it ended.

Worried because of the pitch though, it can cost us in the first MLS game 2 points...

notthesun
02-27-2018, 10:09 PM
Osorio was good again, most everyone else pretty average. As much as everyone talks about not looking past Colorado, I think we kinda knew the tie was over.

Tidy little cameo from Aketxe off the bench.

oldtraffordPEI
02-27-2018, 10:10 PM
I hopes its -20 for tigres haha

OgtheDim
02-27-2018, 10:22 PM
Crappy Game... MOTM Hagglund by a mile

Funny but I thought exactly the opposite. Guy was tentative & his passing was poor.

In general, a preseason game for all concerned. If we play like that against Tigres, that will be ugly.

Oldtimer
02-27-2018, 10:30 PM
Boring game. Not much atmosphere. TFC won on aggregate. Next.

Tigres will be much more challenging.

Defoe
02-27-2018, 10:33 PM
First half was sloppy. The second half was better and Ager really made a difference when he came on. He's in form and I would be really disappointed if he doesn't start for us vs Columbus and the quarters. We need his quality for any chance vs Tigres

portu
02-27-2018, 10:39 PM
Hagglund>Moor everyday.

If I see Moor and Mavinga against Tigres I will blow a gasket.

ensco
02-27-2018, 10:55 PM
Success.

Through, and no one hurt.

Vamanos!

jloome
02-27-2018, 11:01 PM
Success.

Through, and no one hurt.

Vamanos!

After the new guy came on we turned up the gears. I think we're going to be frightening on offense this year. Tons o' talent.

Osorio is playing at a new level, Hagglund too.

flatpicker
02-27-2018, 11:08 PM
Just got an email from the club saying we can purchase quarterfinal tix tomorrow.

Just to be clear, the next round is not included with our season tix like tonights game was?

Globetrotter
02-27-2018, 11:11 PM
It's a good thing we have depth because I get the feeling many teams will take the thug route to get us off our game. We're going to pick up a lot of knocks along the way with some silly cards in there as well.

backbeat
02-27-2018, 11:18 PM
Just got an email from the club saying we can purchase quarterfinal tix tomorrow.

Just to be clear, the next round is not included with our season tix like tonights game was?

i thought it was - i thought the email was for additional tickets...

backbeat
02-27-2018, 11:19 PM

As a Member you already have your seats to the quarterfinal match at BMO Field.
Tomorrow at 10:00AM you'll have the opportunity to purchase additional tickets for the quarterfinal match on Wednesday March 7 at BMO Field.

wopchop
02-27-2018, 11:25 PM

https://ci5.googleusercontent.com/proxy/Zpd5n2lSCNxWTO5BwWpOJJ7H-a1WxpMfUXqz4PhdLQ17VNabum-n4v9meGJ7h6AhIUzOaQBjUjawx63ytgnAbJtzX5O0SKt5vKySC ceKxbQLrcSe_GdqZ0xoakoVBQeFrf9DT6M1g2ld_UoUB1aAt9n BTMcoEoKj6Yflmuh_mMm4lcsFC2EDmcuv6Bfyo7ZvaD3PccqYN Khl_g_wxQCQg6t3fAXKNjmzGU4xPPgnD80KRv55w68AJXU=s0-d-e1-ft#http://images.fans.mlse.com/EloquaImages/clients/MapleLeafSportsEntertainmentLtd/%7B1dd47174-3851-4892-8889-5de7e7e4ea23%7D_TFC_CONCACAF_Supporter_Tifo_022718 .png

YOUR REDS ARE HEADING TO THE QUARTERFINALS

Tomorrow at 10:00AM you'll have the opportunity to purchase additional tickets for the quarterfinal match on Wednesday March 7 at BMO Field. Your unique promo code can only be used once.

James17930
02-27-2018, 11:34 PM
We shouldn't worry about this game too much. We're through - that's all that matters.

Hugh Jazz
02-27-2018, 11:39 PM
Yeah if there was a good time to have a throw away game that was it. Colorado pressing more aggressively was probably a good reminder that our off the ball movement still needs to be sharper.

I was watching that Spanish feed, was Altidore ill?

General Woolfe
02-27-2018, 11:49 PM
One who’s had too much drink?

General Woolfe
02-27-2018, 11:51 PM
Yeah if there was a good time to have a throw away game that was it. Colorado pressing more aggressively was probably a good reminder that our off the ball movement still needs to be sharper.

Yeah. They said he threw up off camera and left the field to visit the locker room. Some kind of stumach bug?

James17930
02-27-2018, 11:51 PM

^Apparently he was.

General Woolfe
02-28-2018, 12:00 AM
Poor performance whatever way you look at it. We’ve a lot of work to do if we’re going to retain our crown, and the CCL seemed to get a whole lot more difficult based on that performance. Even if Colorado didn’t capitalize, we gave up more than a few chances tonight. Keeping the Mexicans off the scoresheet will be a much bigger task. We desperately need to find some form in the next seven days. I wonder if it’s worth returning to a 3-5-2 even in the short term

RealG-TFC
02-28-2018, 12:03 AM
I feel for the turf, three home games in a row is going to be tough on the grass this early on. Hopefully it can regenerate for RSL on the 30th.

James17930
02-28-2018, 12:18 AM
Vanney had some interesting comments in his post-game presser. He said 'now's not the time to rest guys.' He feels the only way to succeed in the CCL is to get the 'starters' as much playing time together as possible. So he said guys are just going to have to 'push through it.'

That's very interesting, as I would have thought the opposite, but I see where he's coming from. So I guess we can expect to see mostly the same lineup both on Sat. and Wed.

Auzzy
02-28-2018, 12:20 AM
Auro can also play midfield very well. I.e. vdW RB; Auro MF (along with Bradley, Vazquez, Aketxe), bumping Delgado and Osorio.

Vanney won't want to make too many changes at once though. I.e. Osorio and/or Delgado start for now; one or two of the new guys come off the bench.

TFC, despite not playing great, had a ton of chances tonight. Colorado also had some great chances; they actually controlled the game for stretches. It could easily have been 4-2 tonight. The game against Tigres will be extremely tough. It looks to be a few degrees colder that tonight. Hopefully TFC comes out much sharper than tonight, otherwise it could be a blowout.

Red CB Toronto
02-28-2018, 01:27 AM
Vanney had some interesting comments in his post-game presser. He said 'now's not the time to rest guys.' He feels the only way to succeed in the CCL is to get the 'starters' as much playing time together as possible. So he said guys are just going to have to 'push through it.'

That's very interesting, as I would have thought the opposite, but I see where he's coming from. So I guess we can expect to see mostly the same lineup both on Sat. and Wed.

There is going to have to be some level of roster management/rotation, especially with back to back road games in Monterey and Montreal three days apart. We all know Michael Bradley goes all out and never wants to be left out, but something's got to give.

James17930
02-28-2018, 01:59 AM
There is going to have to be some level of roster management/rotation, especially with back to back road games in Monterey and Montreal three days apart. We all know Michael Bradley goes all out and never wants to be left out, but something's got to give.

We'll see what he's got up his sleeve, I guess.

Hamilton_Red
02-28-2018, 02:39 AM
Ok - it wasn't the best performance overall. With Altidore throwing up (and it was on camera) and Gio not having his shooting boots on - it wasn't the convincing home and away wins that we would have wanted. That being said... Auro...wow what an upgrade over Beitashour. The brief glimpse of Aketxe looked brilliant - the guy is class. Osorio was the MOTM for me - great game. He seems to get better as the players around him improve.

I would rest Vasquez on Saturday and start Aketxe. Start van der Viel on Saturday as well time to see how he fits in - there must be a place for both VDW and Auro as starters - they are too much quality not to be starters.

My biggest worry is Moor - he seems to be fading quickly. He has looked a weak spot for the last 4-5 matches. I would be thinking about Haglund and Mavinga to be the starting CB's this year. Moor shouldn't be an automatic starter any more.

Would like to see some time on the pitch for Ricketts on Saturday as well - assuming he is fit again.

OgtheDim
02-28-2018, 07:15 AM
Mavinga when he came on showed why he starts over Hagglund. Passes were actually completed. Moor needs the 3-5-2 to be able to do his job. I suspect that formation comes back out again next week because we can't push up our FB's that high against Tigres while in a diamond.

For those wanting Hagglund over Moor, I'll repeat this:

Hagglund was tentative with the ball, preferred to go sideways & when he did attempt to pass it forward, often missed his target.

Kingvikingstad
02-28-2018, 07:20 AM
Ok - it wasn't the best performance overall. With Altidore throwing up (and it was on camera) and Gio not having his shooting boots on - it wasn't the convincing home and away wins that we would have wanted. That being said... Auro...wow what an upgrade over Beitashour. The brief glimpse of Aketxe looked brilliant - the guy is class. Osorio was the MOTM for me - great game. He seems to get better as the players around him improve.

I would rest Vasquez on Saturday and start Aketxe. Start van der Viel on Saturday as well time to see how he fits in - there must be a place for both VDW and Auro as starters - they are too much quality not to be starters.

My biggest worry is Moor - he seems to be fading quickly. He has looked a weak spot for the last 4-5 matches. I would be thinking about Haglund and Mavinga to be the starting CB's this year. Moor shouldn't be an automatic starter any more.

Would like to see some time on the pitch for Ricketts on Saturday as well - assuming he is fit again.

Osorio is one the best we have at carrying the ball and beating a player one v one, after probably giovinco. Sometimes we get too pass happy and play too much east-west and not direct enough. I thought Osorio did a good job of trying to play to score amd create, not just to possess.

I think Moor is about done. Other than the "experience" quotient, Hagglund is an upgrade in almost every way for me.

flatpicker
02-28-2018, 07:48 AM

Tomorrow at 10:00AM you'll have the opportunity to purchase additional tickets for the quarterfinal match on Wednesday March 7 at BMO Field.

https://ci5.googleusercontent.com/proxy/Zpd5n2lSCNxWTO5BwWpOJJ7H-a1WxpMfUXqz4PhdLQ17VNabum-n4v9meGJ7h6AhIUzOaQBjUjawx63ytgnAbJtzX5O0SKt5vKySC ceKxbQLrcSe_GdqZ0xoakoVBQeFrf9DT6M1g2ld_UoUB1aAt9n BTMcoEoKj6Yflmuh_mMm4lcsFC2EDmcuv6Bfyo7ZvaD3PccqYN Khl_g_wxQCQg6t3fAXKNjmzGU4xPPgnD80KRv55w68AJXU=s0-d-e1-ft#http://images.fans.mlse.com/EloquaImages/clients/MapleLeafSportsEntertainmentLtd/%7B1dd47174-3851-4892-8889-5de7e7e4ea23%7D_TFC_CONCACAF_Supporter_Tifo_022718 .png

YOUR REDS ARE HEADING TO THE QUARTERFINALS

Tomorrow at 10:00AM you'll have the opportunity to purchase additional tickets for the quarterfinal match on Wednesday March 7 at BMO Field. Your unique promo code can only be used once.

Thanks.
Apparently I get both versions of the email for ticket holders and non ticket holders.
The two emails were stacked together since they were from the same address,
but I neglected to scroll down to the 2nd one which was for STHs.

ag futbol
02-28-2018, 09:17 AM
I’ll give guys the benefit of the doubt on some of the passes. The field was playing extremely slow and there was simply no consistency.

I think it’s going to take a few months before we reach the heights of last years form.

And what is it going to take for Giovinco to start getting opponents carded for persistent infringement? Any time he gets the ball within 20 yards teams just try to knock him over.

Joe Kool
02-28-2018, 09:26 AM
Colorado coach talks about them being in preseason....we definitely are as well after watching last night's performance. Hope we can get it together enough for the Tigres.

Joe Kool
02-28-2018, 09:26 AM
And what is it going to take for Giovinco to start getting opponents carded for persistent infringement? Any time he gets the ball within 20 yards teams just try to knock him over.

That NFL style tackle on Giovinco was something else last night....

C.Ronaldo
02-28-2018, 09:34 AM
That NFL style tackle on Giovinco was something else last night....

Ive never seen a full out tackle like that. then to not red card it. Mind blown

notthesun
02-28-2018, 09:46 AM
Ive never seen a full out tackle like that. then to not red card it. Mind blown

There's no justification for a red card. It wasn't particularly dangerous in terms of injury risk and it didn't qualify as denial of an obvious goal scoring opportunity (other Colorado players in or near the box and Giovinco was traveling slightly away from goal). About as cynical a challenge as you can make, but a yellow was the right decision.

C.Ronaldo
02-28-2018, 09:51 AM
There's no justification for a red card. It wasn't particularly dangerous in terms of injury risk and it didn't qualify as denial of an obvious goal scoring opportunity (other Colorado players in or near the box and Giovinco was traveling slightly away from goal). About as cynical a challenge as you can make, but a yellow was the right decision.

giovinco was last man wasnt he? he was 2 steps beyond the next guy. That would have been a clear chance on goal

Joe Kool
02-28-2018, 10:18 AM

From my angle at the time it definitely looked very much like an injury risk and dangerous going by the size difference and how they landed. Giovinco could have easily tweaked his back or some other muscle or joint injury. Fortunately he was able to shake it off but I would not say at all there was no risk of injury in that kind of tackle. As far as denying a goal scoring opportunity I agree there...it may have turned into one if Seba got past that guy but it wasn't an obvious opportunity at the time.

notthesun
02-28-2018, 10:25 AM
He grabbed his chest and pulled him down. It was the ultimate tactical foul. If he had kicked out and made contact you could argue dangerous/reckless play, but he didn't do that so I don't see it. As for DOGSO there was another Colorado defender about level with Giovinco who would've been there to close down the angle somewhat, along with the aforementioned direction he was heading, not clear enough to warrant a red.

https://twitter.com/JogaBonito_USA/status/968678239777574912

OgtheDim
02-28-2018, 10:25 AM
giovinco was last man wasnt he? he was 2 steps beyond the next guy. That would have been a clear chance on goal

From the group around me in 221 - we all said no DOGSO. There was another guy back within range.

TFC Tifoso
02-28-2018, 11:09 AM
not much to argue from the 2 games imo....

had the results of the 2 matches been flipped, I think the consensus reaction would be ecstatic.
Some rusty finishing (I expected it personally), but if that is on point, it could've easily been 4-5 goals scored on the aggregate, even with the couple of chances we gave to them.

And as others have mentioned, it looks like Moor will be best suited to play 3 in the back where the other 2 defenders (and especially Mavinga with the speed) can bail him out.
Mavinga and Hagglund would be my CBs in a 4 in the back formation.....

GerMc
02-28-2018, 11:21 AM
Funny but I thought exactly the opposite. Guy [Hagglund] was tentative & his passing was poor.

In general, a preseason game for all concerned. If we play like that against Tigres, that will be ugly.

I've seen a lot of comments about how Hagglund played better than Moor, but I didn't see that at all last night (like OgtheDim). Hagglund was not good on the ball and gave it away a few times. Maybe some of that came from playing on the left, but Mavinga is a big upgrade there, and I would take Moor/Mavinga over Hagglund/Mavinga any day of the week.

C.Ronaldo
02-28-2018, 11:36 AM
From the group around me in 221 - we all said no DOGSO. There was another guy back within range.

lesson time, whats DOGSO?

TFC Tifoso
02-28-2018, 11:37 AM
lesson time, whats DOGSO?

Direct On-Goal Scoring Opportunity??

C.Ronaldo
I've seen a lot of comments about how Hagglund played better than Moor, but I didn't see that at all last night (like OgtheDim). Hagglund was not good on the ball and gave it away a few times. Maybe some of that came from playing on the left, but Mavinga is a big upgrade there, and I would take Moor/Mavinga over Hagglund/Mavinga any day of the week.

Hagglund also hasnt played serious minutes for a while.

but when he uses his head, he is letal. for defending, passing and scoring

he is also really quick for someone so big.

Areathrasher
Denial of a goal scoring opportunity

C.Ronaldo
02-28-2018, 11:39 AM
He grabbed his chest and pulled him down. It was the ultimate tactical foul. If he had kicked out and made contact you could argue dangerous/reckless play, but he didn't do that so I don't see it. As for DOGSO there was another Colorado defender about level with Giovinco who would've been there to close down the angle somewhat, along with the aforementioned direction he was heading, not clear enough to warrant a red.

https://twitter.com/JogaBonito_USA/status/968678239777574912

that video clearly shows a kick out that missed, he then tackled him as his 2nd option

portu
02-28-2018, 11:40 AM
I think the main issue for some is that Moor gets turned way too easily by his man and doesn't have the pace to bail him out of his already slow reactions. He might be slightly better on the ball, but that's a marginally redeeming trait by comparison.

TFC Tifoso
02-28-2018, 11:40 AM

that's better.....damn acronyms.....

C.Ronaldo
02-28-2018, 12:38 PM
If Auro was picked up as depth, Im excited to see what GVW can do in the MLS

El Diego
02-28-2018, 01:38 PM

that's better.....damn acronyms.....

It is actually denying an obvious goal scoring opportunity. The difference may seem trivial but it is important. For example, the Giovinco foul denied a goal scoring opportunity but not an obvious goal scoring opportunity, hence no red.

Hamilton_Red
02-28-2018, 01:49 PM
Hagglund also hasnt played serious minutes for a while.

but when he uses his head, he is letal. for defending, passing and scoring

he is also really quick for someone so big.

He also doesn't seem to randomly fall down or give up penalties ...which are growing parts of Moor's game.

Ultra & Proud
02-28-2018, 05:08 PM
So Moor has replaced Delgado as the new scapegoat for the season?

OgtheDim
02-28-2018, 05:21 PM
Spencer still in the lead I'd think - but it was Hamilton up to replace Jozy when Altidore went off puking so maybe things have changed.

Red CB Toronto
02-28-2018, 05:25 PM
Spencer still in the lead I'd think - but it was Hamilton up to replace Jozy when Altidore went off puking so maybe things have changed.

Spencer was not even in the lineup last night, saw him up on the concourse before the game heading to the players box in 123.

TomLawrence
02-28-2018, 06:41 PM
Any way to watch the games online afterwards? Living in the UK I just can't stay up for midweek games most of the time.

MightyDM
02-28-2018, 09:16 PM
It is actually denying an obvious goal scoring opportunity. The difference may seem trivial but it is important. For example, the Giovinco foul denied a goal scoring opportunity but not an obvious goal scoring opportunity, hence no red.

That's true. But surely to Betsy if you actually rugby tackle someone it's a red card offence. Otherwise it's William Web Ellis all over again

flatpicker
02-28-2018, 10:21 PM
That's true. But surely to Betsy if you actually rugby tackle someone it's a red card offence. Otherwise it's William Web Ellis all over again

I lived in Rugby for a year and would constantly walk past the statue of William Web Ellis on my way to work. I also visited the rugby ball manufacturer (basically someone's house, but apparently they made the only "official balls". But they were probably just trying to impress me. I did purchase a ball from them).

Alonso
02-28-2018, 10:27 PM

Couldn't agree more.

Rugby tackles in soccer should be straight reds.

It's just completely against the spirit of the rules of the game.

Do you really want to see two handed arm grab/tackles as players are blowing past other players and to get off on some bullshit DOGSO technicality?
What if a player made that sort of tackle in the midfield to break up a promising play? What if five or six of them did it in the same game to disrupt flow? What if a team strategized to do so deliberately through the course of a season knowing that 5 yellows equals a red and then back to normal for the rest of the season (for that player)?

We'd be encouraging a new game in which each team had a 5-8 tackle at your discretion game. We'd be encouraging "soccer/rugby" .... soccerby if you will.

PLEASE. Anyone out there. Show me an example in a soccer match where a player made a full on Rugby tackle against another player.

He made an attempt at the ball... failed miserably, then got left in the dust only to "redeem" himself by two arm tackling Giovinco as he was going by him... Looks like he fell on top of Giovinco too! Please what the fuck is that if not a red card? What sport are we watching here?

Do MLS teams now get 10 free Rugby tackles on Giovinco per game (with a yellow of course) anywhere in the park except on a obvious goal scoring opportunity?

Defoe
02-28-2018, 10:46 PM
Auro can also play midfield very well. I.e. vdW RB; Auro MF (along with Bradley, Vazquez, Aketxe), bumping Delgado and Osorio.

Vanney won't want to make too many changes at once though. I.e. Osorio and/or Delgado start for now; one or two of the new guys come off the bench.

TFC, despite not playing great, had a ton of chances tonight. Colorado also had some great chances; they actually controlled the game for stretches. It could easily have been 4-2 tonight. The game against Tigres will be extremely tough. It looks to be a few degrees colder that tonight. Hopefully TFC comes out much sharper than tonight, otherwise it could be a blowout.

Osorio has been good, Delgado was ok. I've seen a lot better from Delgado. I'm not sure who comes out; but if you have a healthy and in form Ager on the bench you better damn well start him after that pathetic performance Tuesday night. Your allowed those type of performances one in a while; but when you draw 0-0 vs Colorado at home; you need a bounce back game. Standards need to be at all time high with Tigres upon us.