PDA

View Full Version : TFC 2018 player in-season moves/speculation/rumours

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

Oldtimer
02-20-2018, 07:02 PM
TFC 2018 player In-season moves/speculation/rumours
Post your speculation/information/etc. here in this thread!

Confirmed (by traditional media or the club) signings can get a separate single thread. All other "inside" and other information goes here.

Defoe
02-20-2018, 07:46 PM
So I imagine our next star should be in Toronto by now

James17930
02-21-2018, 03:47 AM
So I imagine our next star should be in Toronto by now

So does Aketxe just slot in on the left? Have Oso and Delgado effectively just lost their spots? Or is everyone going to rotate a lot?

Blindside16
02-21-2018, 05:11 AM
So does Aketxe just slot in on the left? Have Oso and Delgado effectively just lost their spots? Or is everyone going to rotate a lot?

Only the Gregfather knows for sure.

ensco
02-21-2018, 08:39 AM
Seeing Auro last night, and thinking about Aketxe ... I think one of Osorio or Delgado has to be getting traded.

Delgado has more value in the trade market, I'd wager. He may be bundled with Irwin (we need his cap space freed up)

Suspect it'll be for 2019 TAM or something. We just cannot use any assets.

ag futbol
02-21-2018, 09:25 AM
Makes a lot of sense. The depth would be nice but with the dreaded expansion draft every year we risk losing a quality piece for precious nothing.

Maybe this is just my own sense of paranoia, but I wonder if the CB spot isn’t the next to be upgraded. If Delgado and Osorio are being pushed out or starting spots you’d figure whoever stands next to Mavinga is eventually going to have to be of a similar quality.

Ultra & Proud
02-21-2018, 09:51 AM
Seeing Auro last night, and thinking about Aketxe ... I think one of Osorio or Delgado has to be getting traded.

Delgado has more value in the trade market, I'd wager. He may be bundled with Irwin (we need his cap space freed up)

And if so then I would say not until summer. They'll hang onto the numbers until the CCL is over with and also when we can add this proposed 3rd TAM player (Mac Allister?).

ManUtd4ever
02-21-2018, 10:22 AM

I think we need to hold onto that depth in the midfield if we are to be successful in all competitions this year. It will mean that starting calibre players will have to accept coming off the bench at times for the good of the club.

In any event, it's definitely a great problem to have.

portu
02-21-2018, 10:36 AM
I still can't comprehend why Irwin is on the roster. His number is stupid high for a guy that's gonna play maybe 5 games this year. That's a whole 200k that could be spent on a guy which would inevitably have a greater impact.

A Stick
02-21-2018, 11:30 AM

I think Ensco is onto something. We have an overabundance of quality midfielders/wing backs and we need cap space. I have also heard through the grapevine that TFC are targeting to sign someone from Italy in the summer.

Ultra & Proud
02-21-2018, 11:45 AM
I still can't comprehend why Irwin is on the roster. His number is stupid high for a guy that's gonna play maybe 5 games this year. That's a whole 200k that could be spent on a guy which would inevitably have a greater impact.

We're fairly deep at every position minus CB but I think we will resign Hernandez at his low cost so who to spend $200k on? We're getting to the point where we can obviously afford a very good MLS level back up at each position so why dump a guy for nothing? Besides we have no decent back up to Bono. If Bono goes down as Irwin did by fluke two years in row, then we could derail our whole season just to spare $200k that we probably can't even use on anyone productive.

Now you could upgrade the forward position on the bench but who are you going to get for like $200K that will be happy with never playing? Either old shite or a young guy getting his feet wet and we have a few of those already.

Ultra & Proud
02-21-2018, 11:46 AM
I think Ensco is onto something. We have an overabundance of quality midfielders/wing backs and we need cap space. I have also heard through the grapevine that TFC are targeting to sign someone from Italy in the summer.

That's something you worry about in the summer. Not now.

rydermike
02-21-2018, 11:49 AM
We're fairly deep at every position minus CB but I think we will resign Hernandez at his low cost so who to spend $200k on? We're getting to the point where we can obviously afford a very good MLS level back up at each position so why dump a guy for nothing? Besides we have no decent back up to Bono. If Bono goes down as Irwin did by fluke two years in row, then we could derail our whole season just to spare $200k that we probably can't even use on anyone productive.

Now you could upgrade the forward position on the bench but who are you going to get for like $200K that will be happy with never playing? Either old shite or a young guy getting his feet wet and we have a few of those already.
I think our third stringer Caleb Patterson-Sewell is a good MLS backup. Not much MLS experience, but he played regularly in the top and second divisions in Portugal, before heading to NASL last year.

T.O TILL I DIE
02-21-2018, 12:02 PM
Spencer Out!!!

😅

Shway
02-21-2018, 04:21 PM
When we announcing Ager already, I want to shit on the rest of the league.

General Woolfe
02-21-2018, 04:34 PM
I personally think we need to strengthen up front. Yes we have depth, but not of great quality. If Altidore gets injured or hits a slump I don’t feel that confident with Ricketts, Spencer or Hamilton leading the line. I wouldn’t be upset to see us trade the last two for a proven scorer in their place. Maybe in this case we could go for someone a little older with proven numbers but would be comfortable with fewer games

Gazza_55
02-21-2018, 05:08 PM
I personally think we need to strengthen up front. Yes we have depth, but not of great quality. If Altidore gets injured or hits a slump I don’t feel that confident with Ricketts, Spencer or Hamilton leading the line. I wouldn’t be upset to see us trade the last two for a proven scorer in their place. Maybe in this case we could go for someone a little older with proven numbers but would be comfortable with fewer games

You jinxed it. Jozy may miss the next 3 matches. Let's see what Hamilton does.

Gazza_55
02-21-2018, 05:10 PM

I wager he plays between 10-15 matches this year. They probably think spending 200k to have a keeper good enough to win the Voyageurs Cup is worth it.

Red CB Toronto
02-21-2018, 05:37 PM
Spencer Out!!!

I like it when the #out thing is absent of our conversation. LOL

RedsMan
02-21-2018, 06:17 PM
If Altidore gets injured or hits a slump I don’t feel that confident with Ricketts, Spencer or Hamilton leading the line. I wouldn’t be upset to see us trade the last two for a proven scorer in their place. Maybe in this case we could go for someone a little older with proven numbers but would be comfortable with fewer games
Since neither JHams nor Spencer is on the senior roster afaik, unless the proven scorer is also not, he would use up a senior roster slot. And if he has to carry a (near-) minimum budget charge like Cheyrou and Hernandez were willing to last year, that will effectively take some otherwise suitable possibilities out of the picture. So your scenario, while not impossible, does seem on the optimistic side.

OgtheDim
02-21-2018, 06:26 PM
Player for player trades are rare in MLS. Its usually player for $ or draft positions or the like.

We are unlikely to find a decent striker available from within the league.

Captain
02-21-2018, 09:05 PM
Why did I see a tweet that said Aketxe has gone home. Is this just a joke?

Red CB Toronto
02-21-2018, 09:50 PM

That's a joke if I had ever heard it, the guy just arrived in town with his agent yesterday and the team got back today.

James17930
02-22-2018, 12:54 AM

Can you post it?

portu
02-22-2018, 03:02 AM
I'd be okay with this. The ideal situation in MLS is to have the one Sounders had when they had Dempsey, Obafemi and Eddie Johnson. Altidore was legit done by the 75th minute on Tuesday night and Vanney didn't sub him. If the options on the bench are so bad that you'd rather a 40-50% Jozy to a 100% Hamilton, Spencer or Ricketts then you need to upgrade the position.

Red CB Toronto
02-22-2018, 03:52 AM
I'd be okay with this. The ideal situation in MLS is to have the one Sounders had when they had Dempsey, Obafemi and Eddie Johnson. Altidore was legit done by the 75th minute on Tuesday night and Vanney didn't sub him. If the options on the bench are so bad that you'd rather a 40-50% Jozy to a 100% Hamilton, Spencer or Ricketts then you need to upgrade the position.

Rickets was not available due to recovering from health issues. He would have been the obvious choice as a sub if he had been.

portu
02-22-2018, 04:26 AM
Rickets was not available due to recovering from health issues. He would have been the obvious choice as a sub if he had been.

I’m aware but there have been times where a sub has been almost necessary (semifinal against Columbus) for Jozy or Seba and it hasn’t been made. Jozy scored against Columbus while legit injured. And only then did he get taken off and if I’m correct it wasn’t even for Ricketts.

Blindside16
02-22-2018, 05:27 AM
When we announcing Ager already, I want to shit on the rest of the league.

It is probably something similar to what was going on with VDW. It can take a little while for the proper paperwork and certificates to be filed and processed. Seeing as he got into town Tuesday and the team got back yesterday, I imagine by the end of this week or early to mid next week.

ensco
02-22-2018, 07:18 AM
I think Vanney's sub patterns have been situation specific and haven’t been about lack of confidence in Ricketts. Ricketts had some pretty good games, not that long ago.

https://www.wakingthered.com/toronto-fc/2017/9/17/16321034/la-galaxy-toronto-fc-recap-highlights-victor-vazquez-tosaint-ricketts

But it may be that the backup striker position can be upgraded, if we still have some TAM. This Auro signing is eye opening, there must be a lot more guys like him! (although it's not easy to find the right guy willing to come for a backup striker role).

MightyDM
02-22-2018, 08:24 AM
I’m aware but there have been times where a sub has been almost necessary (semifinal against Columbus) for Jozy or Seba and it hasn’t been made. Jozy scored against Columbus while legit injured. And only then did he get taken off and if I’m correct it wasn’t even for Ricketts.

They were preparing a sub when he scored. Not a perfect example and I think we will see this season whether he has confidence in Hamilton or not. He has performed well in matches, it appears that it is his apparent inability to fully concentrate that concerns Vanney.

Areathrasher
02-22-2018, 08:53 AM

He could have to leave the country to enter again to get his work permit.

He could also go back to Bilbao to sell his house, pack his shit etc etc.

Ossington Mental Youth
02-22-2018, 09:14 AM

My argument would be Jozy looked rusty and they want him to get into shape ie able to run a full 90

ag futbol
02-22-2018, 10:30 AM
I think it’s fair to want another quality backup striker. Ricketts is good in some situations but not good in others.

He doesn’t provide any hold up presence and movement off the ball is pretty mediocre. He’s good at stretching the field in an open game or against a team with a high line ... but that’s really the extent of it.

In a game where we have to come from behind we need someone more versatile and potent. Apologies to the others not mentioned but they’re still unproven.

C.Ronaldo
02-22-2018, 10:40 AM
They were preparing a sub when he scored. Not a perfect example and I think we will see this season whether he has confidence in Hamilton or not. He has performed well in matches, it appears that it is his apparent inability to fully concentrate that concerns Vanney.

perhaps he doesnt execute the coaches plan 100%, he might look good doing his own thing but vanney wants guys to execute his vision

MightyDM
02-22-2018, 10:41 AM
I think it’s fair to want another quality backup striker. Ricketts is good in some situations but not good in others.

He doesn’t provide any hold up presence and movement off the ball is pretty mediocre. He’s good at stretching the field in an open game or against a team with a high line ... but that’s really the extent of it.

In a game where we have to come from behind we need someone more versatile and potent. Apologies to the others not mentioned but they’re still unproven.

Fair but here is hoping that just like Delgado and Osorio Hamilton will seize the chance when he gets it. Certainly appears to have the skills.

MightyDM
02-22-2018, 10:44 AM
perhaps he doesnt execute the coaches plan 100%, he might look good doing his own thing but vanney wants guys to execute his vision

Yes, it is something like that.

Mike_S
02-22-2018, 12:03 PM
This Auro signing is eye opening, there must be a lot more guys like him! (although it's not easy to find the right guy willing to come for a backup striker role).

It's not eye opening, it's that MLS teams are now able to sign these players when they couldn't before due to salary restrictions. We are about to find out that Liga MX is full of Auros.

Detroit_TFC
02-22-2018, 12:11 PM
It's not eye opening, it's that MLS teams are now able to sign these players when they couldn't before due to salary restrictions. We are about to find out that Liga MX is full of Auros.

Yes it is. I expect some of those players who feel that they aren't getting the playing time they think they should might start looking north for options now that wages on offer are more agreeable.

Mike_S
02-22-2018, 12:22 PM
^^ I'm sorry Detroit_FC, are you agreeing with me or disagreeing, because I think we wrote the same thing.

Defoe
02-22-2018, 12:59 PM
Get nervous about Ager. Hope this is done soon.

wynne
02-22-2018, 05:06 PM
Get nervous about Ager. Hope this is done soon.
You were probably in the group nervous about VdW because he didn’t sign a day after rumors came out. Read up, it takes time to get everything done. His agent had a TFC hat on, while on a plane, and his contract was terminated. What else do you want?

ensco
02-22-2018, 05:41 PM
I’m fine if we sign him and fine if we don’t.

TBH, that pic of his posse of agents filling biz class didn’t fill me with glee. But it’s just a pic.

This guy is here because he had a nice season at Cadiz in the Segunda. We’ll figure something out in the summer if we don’t get him on our terms.

wynne
02-22-2018, 06:36 PM
Major player announcement tomorrow morning, 9:30am

Detroit_TFC
02-22-2018, 07:04 PM
^^ I'm sorry Detroit_FC, are you agreeing with me or disagreeing, because I think we wrote the same thing.

Agreeing 100%.

sn0re
02-22-2018, 07:39 PM
https://twitter.com/joshuakloke/status/966818570117185536

Red CB Toronto
02-22-2018, 07:42 PM
He signed his deal today up at the training ground.

I’m fine if we sign him and fine if we don’t.

TBH, that pic of his posse of agents filling biz class didn’t fill me with glee. But it’s just a pic.

This guy is here because he had a nice season at Cadiz in the Segunda. We’ll figure something out in the summer if we don’t get him on our terms.

James17930
02-22-2018, 08:04 PM
He signed his deal today up at the training ground.

Good. But the guy's not going to fly to Toronto if he wasn't prepared to sign. Don't know why some people would've been worried.

Red CB Toronto
02-22-2018, 08:07 PM
Good. But the guy's not going to fly to Toronto if he wasn't prepared to sign. Don't know why some people would've been worried.

I agree, that notion made no sense at all, must of been some keyboard joker on twitter to even suggest he left town. LOL

RealG-TFC
02-22-2018, 08:30 PM
Really looking forward to seeing what this team will be capable of with Aketxe in the mix.

Ajax TFC
02-22-2018, 08:37 PM
Going to be crazy competitive for midfield positions this year. Osorio and Delgado going to have some stiff competition for playing time. Good news for them though is the switch to 4 at the back opens up a midfield position

Defoe
02-22-2018, 08:44 PM
Going to be crazy competitive for midfield positions this year. Osorio and Delgado going to have some stiff competition for playing time. Good news for them though is the switch to 4 at the back opens up a midfield position

I've been an Osorio critic but he's been pretty useful of late. He will be a good rotation player.

As Toronto continues to go deep into tournaments like MLS cup and Champions league we will need to give players like Victor Vazquez and Michael Bradley more rest during regular season games

Ajax TFC
02-22-2018, 08:57 PM
I've been an Osorio critic but he's been pretty useful of late. He will be a good rotation player.

As Toronto continues to go deep into tournaments like MLS cup and Champions league we will need to give players like Victor Vazquez and Michael Bradley more rest during regular season games
I have no doubt that both Osorio and Delgado will play very well whenever they get minutes. Both have played their best games when fighting for minutes.

Ossington Mental Youth
02-22-2018, 09:13 PM

inclined to agree with this

molenshtain
02-23-2018, 07:35 AM
http://torontosun.com/sports/soccer/mls/toronto-fc/he-only-had-good-things-to-say-ex-toronto-fc-striker-gilberto-convinced-auro-to-join-reds

Inclined to believe this is up there for "previous player least likely to recommend our team to potential new players" award. Provided Auro turns out as ok as he appeared in Colorado, I think we should take it upon ourselves to collectively forget at least 5-6 sitters Gilberto missed in return for this favor.

woolly
02-23-2018, 08:30 AM
http://torontosun.com/sports/soccer/mls/toronto-fc/he-only-had-good-things-to-say-ex-toronto-fc-striker-gilberto-convinced-auro-to-join-reds

Inclined to believe this is up there for "previous player least likely to recommend our team to potential new players" award. Provided Auro turns out as ok as he appeared in Colorado, I think we should take it upon ourselves to collectively forget at least 5-6 sitters he Gilberto missed in return.

I have to admit when I read this article I thought Gilberto was about as likely to recommend TFC as Defoe, but I guess it really is water under the bridge (Or Gilberto is looking to get paid as a scout)

Areathrasher
02-23-2018, 09:19 AM
https://twitter.com/LegionCL/status/967038910416044032

According to @RevistaColorada, international 🇧🇷 would have rejected the hiring of Pablo Aránguiz, after being offered by his representative Sergio Gioino to the cast "Colorado". The agent pointed out to the magazine that the Chilean has a proposal from the Toronto FC 🇨🇦

TFC1154ever
02-23-2018, 09:36 AM
This must be the Chilean guy totera was talking about being the backup plan to Mcallster.

Areathrasher
02-23-2018, 09:37 AM
https://toronto-mp7static.mlsdigital.net/styles/image_landscape/s3/images/Aketxe.jpg?Prd0JXaYg2453ZaOHAoTDaorEm7GbiAz&itok=AcHNaTnz&c=52fe8517720b616b661cb971a8231100

19Barrett19
02-23-2018, 09:41 AM
WHAAAAAT!!!!! nice pick up. Hope he playes some minutes on Tuesday

OgtheDim
02-23-2018, 09:43 AM
The important stuff

Pronunciation: “AH-GER AH-KETCH-EH”

notthesun
02-23-2018, 10:01 AM
https://twitter.com/joshuakloke/status/967046461178310656

Hype. Would love to see him come off the bench on Tuesday if we can get his documentation sorted in time.

BenRhodes23
02-23-2018, 10:02 AM
Vazquez helped him decide to sign apparently

James17930
02-23-2018, 10:03 AM
Vazquez helped him decide to sign apparently

I was assuming that was the case.

Kamp Berg
02-23-2018, 10:04 AM
Awesome, can’t wait to see him combine with Vasquez! Looks like another game changer from Bez! Just put the quad a little more in reach!

notthesun
02-23-2018, 10:07 AM
https://twitter.com/JohnMolinaro/status/967051730176294912

C.Ronaldo
The important stuff

boggles mind mind how this small area speaks a language so different sandwiched between french, spanish, catalan and portuguese

time for a you tube history lesson

molenshtain
This is the most excited I've been to hear our stadium announcer pronounce somoene's name for the first time since we traded for Bright Dike.

I was so excited that day. The possibilities man...If only he was worse at his job.

portu
02-23-2018, 10:26 AM
https://twitter.com/LegionCL/status/967038910416044032
Would be a weird signing as to how he would fit into our midfield. He's not really an 8.

Again, would much rather us be finding a Moor replacement if we still have this kind of TAM left over.

molenshtain
02-23-2018, 10:36 AM
boggles mind mind how this small area speaks a language so different sandwiched between french, spanish, catalan and portuguese

time for a you tube history lesson

The Basques are very interesting demographic. I read a really interesting piece a while back about how a significant percentage of Basque's have an extremely difference genetic historical make-up to the rest of Spain and france and the rest of Europe. So much so that they can't actually pin down where they came from or how this community became whole.

much bigger case for Basque independance compared to the Catalonoian case. They're mostly just privileged assholes in comparison.

Ajax TFC
02-23-2018, 01:39 PM
https://twitter.com/JohnMolinaro/status/967051730176294912
They must be trying to get him the paoers he needs to be domestic. Can't see what else would hold up the signing. Certainly isn't a salary issue since he's pretty much minimum and didn't do anything to warrant a raise

C.Ronaldo
02-23-2018, 02:42 PM
The Basques are very interesting demographic. I read a really interesting piece a while back about how a significant percentage of Basque's have an extremely difference genetic historical make-up to the rest of Spain and france and the rest of Europe. So much so that they can't actually pin down where they came from or how this community became whole.

much bigger case for Basque independence compared to the Catalonoian case. They're mostly just privileged assholes in comparison.

apparently there are large basque communities throughout middle of no where places. i.e Boise & Wyoming (this knowledge brought to you by the show Longmire on netflix)

AND apparently my bro in law is half basque, LOL. the things you learn

C.Ronaldo
02-23-2018, 02:44 PM
They must be trying to get him the paoers he needs to be domestic. Can't see what else would hold up the signing. Certainly isn't a salary issue since he's pretty much minimum and didn't do anything to warrant a raise

thats not really fair. we need our bench to improve as well. its what keep the whole team competitive. Everyone, including the bench stepped up to win treble

Ajax TFC
02-23-2018, 04:38 PM
thats not really fair. we need our bench to improve as well. its what keep the whole team competitive. Everyone, including the bench stepped up to win treble
I'm not sure what exactly I said that isn't fair. They aren't obligated to give him any more than the standard yearly increase. A player who hardly played isn't getting performance related bonuses or raises, so that's not an issue either. Salary was never the thing holding up his signing. Therefore, it's his international status that's holding it up. So they're either waiting to see if another signing pans out before using their last international spot on him, or they're trying to get him papers to be domestic

rydermike
02-23-2018, 04:57 PM

Well a couple posts up they mentioned that Chilean player, so maybe they're trying to acquire a ninth International slot to get both players. Endoh's only been in Canada for two years (Canadian citizenship I believe is 3 of last 5 years as a Perm Resident), and he left the United States to come here, not sure if that would eliminate his domestic status in the US

Guess this officially means Tim Kubel won't be a first-team deal if Endoh is being signed

Red CB Toronto
02-23-2018, 05:05 PM
I'm not sure what exactly I said that isn't fair. They aren't obligated to give him any more than the standard yearly increase. A player who hardly played isn't getting performance related bonuses or raises, so that's not an issue either. Salary was never the thing holding up his signing. Therefore, it's his international status that's holding it up. So they're either waiting to see if another signing pans out before using their last international spot on him, or they're trying to get him papers to be domestic

Completely agree, now with 7 of 8 international filled I always have believed the Reds would take a wait and see approach with players like Endoh and say draft pick Tim Kubel. That they someone like them would only be signed if there was not a better player out there who would upgrade the squad. I don't think anyone expects every MLS team to have eight top flight internationals. As such the Reds have shown in the past, the willingness to use an international spot on a utility player, case in point with Oyvind Alseth last season. So we shall see how this shakes out.

Slot
Player
Nationality

Ager Aketxe (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ager_Aketxe)
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/9/9a/Flag_of_Spain.svg/23px-Flag_of_Spain.svg.png (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spain) Spain (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_Spanish_Football_Federation)

Auro (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Auro)
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/0/05/Flag_of_Brazil.svg/22px-Flag_of_Brazil.svg.png (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brazil) Brazil (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brazilian_Football_Confederation)

Sebastian Giovinco (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sebastian_Giovinco)
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/0/03/Flag_of_Italy.svg/23px-Flag_of_Italy.svg.png (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Italy) Italy (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Italian_Football_Federation)

Nicolas Hasler (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nicolas_Hasler)
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/4/47/Flag_of_Liechtenstein.svg/23px-Flag_of_Liechtenstein.svg.png (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liechtenstein) Liechtenstein (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liechtenstein_Football_Association)

Chris Mavinga (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chris_Mavinga)
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/6/6f/Flag_of_the_Democratic_Republic_of_the_Congo.svg/20px-Flag_of_the_Democratic_Republic_of_the_Congo.svg.p ng (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Democratic_Republic_of_the_Congo) Democratic Republic of the Congo (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Congolese_Association_Football_Federation)

Gregory van der Wiel (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gregory_van_der_Wiel)
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/2/20/Flag_of_the_Netherlands.svg/23px-Flag_of_the_Netherlands.svg.png (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Netherlands) Netherlands (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_Dutch_Football_Association)

Víctor Vázquez (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/V%C3%ADctor_V%C3%A1zquez_Solsona)
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/9/9a/Flag_of_Spain.svg/23px-Flag_of_Spain.svg.png (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spain) Spain (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_Spanish_Football_Federation)

Red CB Toronto
02-23-2018, 05:11 PM
Well a couple posts up they mentioned that Chilean player, so maybe they're trying to acquire a ninth International slot to get both players. Endoh's only been in Canada for two years (Canadian citizenship I believe is 3 of last 5 years as a Perm Resident), and he left the United States to come here, not sure if that would eliminate his domestic status in the US

Guess this officially means Tim Kubel won't be a first-team deal if Endoh is being signed

I always thought that last deal would come down to Endoh or Kubel unless something better came along. I mean even if they are signed there is nothing stopping Bez from releasing them at some point during the season if they need to open up the int spot.

ensco
02-23-2018, 05:32 PM
Completely agree, now with 7 of 8 international filled I always have believed the Reds would take a wait and see approach with players like Endoh and say draft pick Tim Kubel. That they someone like them would only be signed if there was not a better player out there who would upgrade the squad. I don't think anyone expects every MLS team to have eight top flight internationals. As such the Reds have shown in the past, the willingness to use an international spot on a utility player, case in point with Oyvind Alseth last season. So we shall see how this shakes out.

Slot
Player
Nationality

Ager Aketxe (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ager_Aketxe)

Auro (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Auro)
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/0/05/Flag_of_Brazil.svg/22px-Flag_of_Brazil.svg.png (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brazil) Brazil (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brazilian_Football_Confederation)

Sebastian Giovinco (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sebastian_Giovinco)
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/0/03/Flag_of_Italy.svg/23px-Flag_of_Italy.svg.png (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Italy) Italy (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Italian_Football_Federation)

Nicolas Hasler (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nicolas_Hasler)
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/4/47/Flag_of_Liechtenstein.svg/23px-Flag_of_Liechtenstein.svg.png (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liechtenstein) Liechtenstein (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liechtenstein_Football_Association)

Chris Mavinga (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chris_Mavinga)
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/6/6f/Flag_of_the_Democratic_Republic_of_the_Congo.svg/20px-Flag_of_the_Democratic_Republic_of_the_Congo.svg.p ng (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Democratic_Republic_of_the_Congo) Democratic Republic of the Congo (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Congolese_Association_Football_Federation)

Gregory van der Wiel (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gregory_van_der_Wiel)
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/2/20/Flag_of_the_Netherlands.svg/23px-Flag_of_the_Netherlands.svg.png (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Netherlands) Netherlands (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_Dutch_Football_Association)

Víctor Vázquez (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/V%C3%ADctor_V%C3%A1zquez_Solsona)

Amazing to think that, a year ago, Bez was spending his time talking Oyvind Alseth out of being a bank trainee in Olso.

molenshtain
02-23-2018, 05:53 PM
Didn't we have a CB in the early Bez era who we signed out of college and had to talk out of going back to France for a similar job? Simonin or something? was alright for a game or two and then unfortunately had a career ending injury IIRC.

Talked earlier today with a Colorado supporter who mentioned Irwin's high intellect as being fitting for a city like Toronto. I think Bez and Vanney really specifically target these highly intelligent, high work ethic type players to round out the depth of the squad. Very solid organizational move as a whole. trims the fat off the meat if you get what I mean.

Defoe
02-23-2018, 06:49 PM
Didn't we have a CB in the early Bez era who we signed out of college and had to talk out of going back to France for a similar job?

Talked earlier today with a Colorado supporter who mentioned Irwin's high intellect as being fitting for a city like Toronto. I think Bez and Vanney really specifically target these highly intelligent, high work ethic type players to round out the depth of the squad. Very solid organizational move as a whole. trims the fat off the meat if you get what I mean.

It's great to have a vision... but executing a vision is extremely difficult. I applaud and stand for MLSE!

Areathrasher
02-23-2018, 11:16 PM
Didn't we have a CB in the early Bez era who we signed out of college and had to talk out of going back to France for a similar job? Simonin or something? was alright for a game or two and then unfortunately had a career ending injury IIRC.

Yea, Clement Simonen. He didnt even bother going to the draft cos he was going to enroll in an MBA iirc.

Mike_S
02-24-2018, 12:41 AM
A critique of Aketxe by an Athletic Bilbao supporter:

https://underthecoshblog.com/2018/02/17/what-tfc-can-expect-from-ager-aketxe/

Red CB Toronto
02-24-2018, 12:53 AM
A critique of Aketxe by an Athletic Bilbao supporter:

https://underthecoshblog.com/2018/02/17/what-tfc-can-expect-from-ager-aketxe/

My question outside of Barcelona and Real Madrid, does MLS really have a slower tempo than La Liga.

GuelphStorm2007
02-24-2018, 03:08 AM

much bigger case for Basque independance compared to the Catalonoian case. They're mostly just privileged assholes in comparison.
The Basques are really interesting . Some of Spains best cyclists are Basque also a lot of good soccer players come there too

ensco
02-24-2018, 08:08 AM
Aketxe may be more of a potential Seba sub than we realized.

Mike_S
02-24-2018, 02:01 PM
My question outside of Barcelona and Real Madrid, does MLS really have a slower tempo than La Liga.

Yes, without a doubt, but we shouldn't see that as a criticism.

Shway
02-24-2018, 02:42 PM
With Aketke signed, are we done?

Did Bez make any mentions of more signings?

flatpicker
02-24-2018, 02:49 PM
With Aketke signed, are we done?

Did Bez make any mentions of more signings?

I'm still waiting to finalize my contract.

JoesphNdo
02-24-2018, 03:04 PM

I mean, yes, surely? You're talking about argubly the world's most elite league Vs argubly north Americans second best. That isn't a criticism of MLS which really is improving rapidly, but come on

portu
02-24-2018, 03:42 PM

Spain in general is known for slower build up play. Tempo means shit all with regards to quality though.

ag futbol
02-24-2018, 05:15 PM
Spain in general is known for slower build up play. Tempo means shit all with regards to quality though.
The rub here is that when you get to that level (La Liga, Bundesliga, EPL, etc...) the players have numerous strong attributes regardless of the overall flavour of the league. La Liga is technical but that doesn’t mean the players aren’t strong or capable of handling physical play or that the level of athleticism required isn’t well above MLS. It’s a high enough level where you have to be well rounded.

I still remember watching Liverpool play TFC at sky dome from field level. Comparatively it looked like our players shrunk a few sizes in the wash.

So MLS may be physical and fast, but that is a relative characteristic for leagues of this quality. It’s not really all that physical of you are comparing to the best of the best.

BenRhodes23
02-24-2018, 06:29 PM
Aketxe is courtside at the Raptors game. The true MLSE welcome

James17930
02-24-2018, 07:40 PM
Aketxe is courtside at the Raptors game. The true MLSE welcome

Hey, gotta stick with what works.

BenRhodes23
02-24-2018, 09:25 PM
Hey, gotta stick with what works.

Absolutely

portu
02-25-2018, 09:13 AM
The rub here is that when you get to that level (La Liga, Bundesliga, EPL, etc...) the players have numerous strong attributes regardless of the overall flavour of the league. La Liga is technical but that doesn’t mean the players aren’t strong or capable of handling physical play or that the level of athleticism required isn’t well above MLS. It’s a high enough level where you have to be well rounded.

I still remember watching Liverpool play TFC at sky dome from field level. Comparatively it looked like our players shrunk a few sizes in the wash.

So MLS may be physical and fast, but that is a relative characteristic for leagues of this quality. It’s not really all that physical of you are comparing to the best of the best.
This^

Another example of the Liverpool-TFC shrinking thing is Jozy getting brutalized against Real Madrid in the ASG

TFC07
02-28-2018, 12:06 PM
Toronto FC re-sign Justin Morrow

Source: https://www.torontofc.ca/post/2018/02/28/toronto-fc-re-sign-justin-morrow

Areathrasher
02-28-2018, 12:06 PM
https://twitter.com/torontofc/status/968893569434927104

Morrow signs an extension

Red CB Toronto
02-28-2018, 12:17 PM
Toronto FC re-sign Justin Morrow

Source: https://www.torontofc.ca/post/2018/02/28/toronto-fc-re-sign-justin-morrow

https://twitter.com/torontofc/status/968893569434927104

Morrow signs an extension

That is great to see, being such an important part of the squad. Cheers to that !!

Defoe
02-28-2018, 07:23 PM
I hope he received a salary over 400 k. He's worth it. Especially when your soccer career is only 12-15 years and socialism takes half of your pay.

Red CB Toronto
02-28-2018, 07:31 PM
Will be interesting to see when they get a deal done with Endoh. He is still with the team as a trialist and was in the players box last night at the game. I know John wrote that Bez was working on it, hopefully they will get something done.

Ajax TFC
02-28-2018, 08:47 PM
I hope he received a salary over 400 k. He's worth it. Especially when your soccer career is only 12-15 years and socialism takes half of your pay.
They're not giving him a 100% pay increase lol. At his age he'll probably be happy with a multi year term at a similar salary to current

ensco
02-28-2018, 08:51 PM
They're not giving him a 100% pay increase lol. At his age he'll probably be happy with a multi year term at a similar salary to current

I dunno. Morrow is an MLS Best XI player and would have had full free agency rights at year end (I think).

His market value probably is close to $400K. If I was to guess, he got 3 years at $375K

Defoe
02-28-2018, 10:40 PM
I dunno. Morrow is an MLS Best XI player and would have had full free agency rights at year end (I think).

His market value probably is close to $400K. If I was to guess, he got 3 years at $375K

I think your guess seems accurate to me. My guess was 1.2 million over 3 years.

notthesun
02-28-2018, 11:48 PM
DaMarcus Beasley makes 351k, Ashley Cole 377k, Harrison Afful 296k. Those are the most comparable fullbacks in terms of ability and pedigree.

Morrow is coming off 226k... I will guess 325-350k for him.

OgtheDim
03-01-2018, 06:46 AM
If he keeps himself fit, Morrow can play another 5 years.

Red CB Toronto
03-01-2018, 08:48 AM
If he keeps himself fit, Morrow can play another 5 years.

This is great to see, happy that he is sticking around.

OgtheDim
03-06-2018, 11:55 AM
Kubel signs with TFCII

https://twitter.com/TorontoFCII/status/971063652626280448

oldtraffordPEI
03-06-2018, 12:33 PM
I'm happy we signed MALYK HAMILTON. Canadian kid with lots of talent.

Red CB Toronto
03-06-2018, 01:05 PM
Kubel signs with TFCII

https://twitter.com/TorontoFCII/status/971063652626280448

Good to see Tim signed his deal, thus getting the chance to prove his worth with a season in USL.

Greatest Ripoff
03-06-2018, 04:41 PM
Hamilton is a good pick up. Interested to see why he chose Toronto. Wonder if it was family situation that made him to come back to Canada or if he felt TFC was the best career move. After 8 years with whufc, he would've had lots of options lower down th pyramid in England.

rydermike
03-06-2018, 06:12 PM
Glad to keep Kubel in the fold. The German league experience is intriguing. The writing was on the wall for him not getting a first team deal once we signed Van der Wiel and Auro (position-wise and international slot wise), but glad we got him on a TFCII deal, to see what he has

rydermike
03-06-2018, 06:15 PM
Hamilton is a good pick up. Interested to see why he chose Toronto. Wonder if it was family situation that made him to come back to Canada or if he felt TFC was the best career move. After 8 years with whufc, he would've had lots of options lower down th pyramid in England.

Admittedly, I don't know anything about him, but at 18 years old, maybe it's an opportunity to go to school and play at the same time, ala TFC 1.0 with guys like Gabe Gala who were doing both.

Initial B
03-06-2018, 08:41 PM
So Kubel's signed, what going on with Endoh?

Red CB Toronto
03-06-2018, 08:48 PM
So Kubel's signed, what going on with Endoh?

Bez said they were working on resigning him but it was complicated, some have speculated that maybe they were working on a way to make him a domestic. As we know the Reds have one international spot open at this point.

Areathrasher
03-06-2018, 09:32 PM
The skyrocketing cost of acquiring an international spot likley factors in to him not being signed as of yet.

No point using an international spot on a player that will be on a minimum (or thereabouts) deal when international sports are going for well over a 100k in GAM now.

Red CB Toronto
03-06-2018, 09:58 PM
The skyrocketing cost of acquiring an international spot likley factors in to him not being signed as of yet.

No point using an international spot on a player that will be on a minimum (or thereabouts) deal when international sports are going for well over a 100k in GAM now.

Completly agree there, using the eighth international spot on an end of the bench reserve does not make much sense on face value. But truth be told even if they did sign Endoh say tomorrow as an off budget player nothing would stop them from releasing him at a later date if something better came along.

I mean they did use their eighth int spot last year on Alseth who played all of 4 games and 269 minutes with the first team.

rydermike
03-07-2018, 04:53 PM
What are USL salaries like. Since USL-to-MLS short-terms loans are now a thing, could we backdoor it? Sign Endoh to a USL deal with a salary like a minimum MLS deal and if we ever need him, utilize a short-term loan. Then if we need him longer, can give him an MLS deal and the final INTL spot

notthesun
03-07-2018, 07:21 PM
What are USL salaries like. Since USL-to-MLS short-terms loans are now a thing, could we backdoor it? Sign Endoh to a USL deal with a salary like a minimum MLS deal and if we ever need him, utilize a short-term loan. Then if we need him longer, can give him an MLS deal and the final INTL spot

You can only use those short-term loans in emergency situations for MLS games (i.e. you have so many injured players that you can't fill a bench for a match).

Areathrasher
03-08-2018, 10:07 AM
https://twitter.com/torontofc/status/971762544493785088

Toronto FC announced Thursday that the club has re-signed defender Chris Mavinga to a multi-year contract extension.
“From the moment he joined Toronto FC, Chris has made a significant positive impact for our club and was an important figure in our success last season in winning the treble,” said Toronto FC General Manager Tim Bezbatchenko. “We are pleased to extend his contract and ensure he will remain a part of our club as we open our title defences this season.”

tfcfans
03-08-2018, 10:14 AM
I guess all the worry about Mavinga leaving in the off season was unfounded.....:D

TFC Tifoso
03-08-2018, 10:16 AM
awesome news.....probably most underrated defender in MLS.....you hear nothing about the guy.....

Canary10
03-08-2018, 10:20 AM
awesome news.....probably most underrated defender in MLS.....you hear nothing about the guy.....

Best central defender in MLS in my view.

TFC Tifoso
03-08-2018, 10:33 AM

I don't disagree at all....but in MLS circles, next to nothing is said about him....I haven't seen/heard much ever at least....

Red I
03-08-2018, 12:09 PM
https://twitter.com/NeilMDavidson/status/971780304577822720

In rewarding Chris Mavinga with an improved new deal, #TorontoFC (https://twitter.com/hashtag/TorontoFC?src=hash) tore up his old contract and gave him a new one with an extra year term.

deserved

dreaddogs
03-08-2018, 12:10 PM
when does Michael Bradley contract end. I found something on the internet that this is his final year of the contract...

Any ideas?

ensco
03-08-2018, 12:12 PM
Bradley, Jozy, Seba all finish at end of 2019.

By the summer, it’ll start being a talking point.

dreaddogs
03-08-2018, 12:15 PM
I think some may be sold if we do not advance in the CCL this year....

Jack
03-08-2018, 12:18 PM
Bradley, Jozy, Seba all finish at end of 2019.

By the summer, it’ll start being a talking point.

And an interesting one, at that. By the end of 2019, Giovinco is 32, Altidore is 29 and Bradley is 31. All three of them seem to take pretty good care of themselves and should be able to play at a pretty high level for several more years, but if Giovinco loses a step, will he still be as deadly?

Victor Vazquez should still be able to play his game, provided he stays injury-free, as he doesn't rely on a lot of speed. Aketxe will be right in the mix if his trajectory continues. Do you break up the band in 2019, or keep everyone together? I guess on-field performance will be a huge factor, but we'll have to see how things develop with these key players as they start to get into the later stages of their careers. It's not all that far away.

ryan
03-08-2018, 12:25 PM
With them being 32/31/29 come 2019, I can't see why we can't keep the party going for another 2-3 years with this trio.

OgtheDim
03-08-2018, 12:43 PM
My thoughts:

Gio signs a 1 year big $ contract & then when he's 34, he either moves into a non DP position or moves back to Italy to play out his last few years lower down in Serie A.

Bradley plays out his years here - towards the end, he's on a non DP contract that allows him to get his coaching badges. After that, Bradley does what his Dad did.

Altidore will sign another big DP contract with us. When he's 33, he does the non DP thing & retires a Red - probably lifting the cup when that version of the Reds with 3 new DP's takes things by storm, again.

This team is being set up for long term success and all 3 DP's know they are not going to get a better option then what they get here.

Any spec about Bradley leaving is false - family very happy here & he runs that dressing room as captain like he can't do anywhere else.

Jack
03-08-2018, 12:54 PM
Especially with Vazquez still in the mix and the young guys like Mavinga and possibly Aketxe getting even better, I don't see why we can't keep the big three and get stronger. Osorio is a solid MLS midfielder and a hometown boy, Delgado is young and already pretty good, VDW could be good, Morrow is here for several more years, Bono is already one of the better keepers in the league at 23, Hagglund and Zavaleta are both solid MLS defenders and young. We are in very good shape for the future and the present.

TFC Tifoso
03-08-2018, 01:15 PM
something to add here.....Manning said just before the season started that when TFC makes "bigger" player acquisitions moving forward, they're doing it with the vision of 3 years in future.....

BenRhodes23
03-08-2018, 01:27 PM
My thoughts:

Gio signs a 1 year big $ contract & then when he's 34, he either moves into a non DP position or moves back to Italy to play out his last few years lower down in Serie A.

Bradley plays out his years here - towards the end, he's on a non DP contract that allows him to get his coaching badges. After that, Bradley does what his Dad did.

Altidore will sign another big DP contract with us. When he's 33, he does the non DP thing & retires a Red - probably lifting the cup when that version of the Reds with 3 new DP's takes things by storm, again.

This team is being set up for long term success and all 3 DP's know they are not going to get a better option then what they get here.

Any spec about Bradley leaving is false - family very happy here & he runs that dressing room as captain like he can't do anywhere else.

Not sure if altidore will sign another DP contract. I suspect Vazquez will leave after next season, going to Spain so his son can grow up there, freeing up TAM for Altidore. According to Twitter, Giovinco has been signing contracts with Toronto companies (sponsors, clothing designers among others) that go beyond 2019. I agree about Bradley, I can see him as a coach here in Toronto like Cheyrou is doing, eventually working his way up to the first team coaching roles. Buying down Altidore on TAM would free up a DP spot which we can use to replace Vazquez.

All very confusing, and a long way away from happening but I'm sure Bezbatchenko will make a logical decision when the time comes. #InBezWeTrust :scarf:

kodiakTFC
03-08-2018, 02:07 PM
Not sure if altidore will sign another DP contract. I suspect Vazquez will leave after next season, going to Spain so his son can grow up there, freeing up TAM for Altidore. According to Twitter, Giovinco has been signing contracts with Toronto companies (sponsors, clothing designers among others) that go beyond 2019. I agree about Bradley, I can see him as a coach here in Toronto like Cheyrou is doing, eventually working his way up to the first team coaching roles. Buying down Altidore on TAM would free up a DP spot which we can use to replace Vazquez.

All very confusing, and a long way away from happening but I'm sure Bezbatchenko will make a logical decision when the time comes. #InBezWeTrust :scarf:

I do remember hearing Vazquez wanted to end his career in Spain and fair enough. I feel like Seba will re-sign here, he's been here for 3 years already and he literally just bought a house over the winter after living in the Four Seasons (for the full duration of the 3 years). As for Jozy and Bradley, who knows, both will certainly have options.

C.Ronaldo
03-08-2018, 02:31 PM
I do remember hearing Vazquez wanted to end his career in Spain and fair enough. I feel like Seba will re-sign here, he's been here for 3 years already and he literally just bought a house over the winter after living in the Four Seasons (for the full duration of the 3 years). As for Jozy and Bradley, who knows, both will certainly have options.

the four seasons is rough lol

VV might change his mind, this is were MLSE personnel need to win his family over.

C.Ronaldo
03-08-2018, 02:33 PM
My thoughts:

I see bradley as a GM and possibly MLS comissioner.

RealG-TFC
03-08-2018, 02:39 PM
So what do we think about the supposed Monterrey interest for Giovinco?

https://www.fantagazzetta.com/calciomercato/ultime/08_03_2018/clamorosa-offerta-per-giovinco-potrebbe-lasciare-il-canada-per-giocare-in-messico-288782

James17930
03-08-2018, 07:06 PM

https://www.fantagazzetta.com/calciomercato/ultime/08_03_2018/clamorosa-offerta-per-giovinco-potrebbe-lasciare-il-canada-per-giocare-in-messico-288782

Like a fart in the wind.

rydermike
03-08-2018, 07:14 PM

Giovinco has had offers to go back to Europe and declined because he likes living here. He's going to go to Mexico, where its worse than going back to Italy? No chance. Vasquez came here from Mexico for the same reason. I get that Vasquez was in Mexico City and Monterrey is the most developed city in Mexico, I hear, but still you spend half your time in the road in those other cities. Definitely for Gio at this point in his career, it's Toronto or Italy and that's it.

ensco
03-08-2018, 08:47 PM
Anything is possible. I still wonder about China. So many guys with lesser pedigrees than Seba making gigantic money there.

My $0.02. Seba's oldest is born in 2013. I think, if he is leaving, it's to go home to establish his son in grade school in Italy.

James17930
03-08-2018, 11:26 PM
Anything is possible. I still wonder about China. So many guys with lesser pedigrees than Seba making gigantic money there.

My $0.02. Seba's oldest is born in 2013. I think, if he is leaving, it's to go home to establish his son in grade school in Italy.

I guess it depends if he wants his kids in school here or there. He might think here is better.

MartinUtd
03-09-2018, 11:31 AM
Found this on reddit regarding Mathieu Valbuena. Article not in English tho.

https://www.fotomac.com.tr/fenerbahce/2018/03/09/valbuenaya-abdden-teklif

RealG-TFC
03-09-2018, 11:46 AM
Not the first time we've been linked to Valbuena if i'm not mistaken.

Captain
03-09-2018, 11:57 AM

Pretty sure he's starting to get some attention after that game Wednesday night. Had a laugh listening to the extra time radio guys refer to our back line as "Moor, Mavinga and the other guy". They were very appreciative of Mavinga's talent on the podcast.

wopchop
03-09-2018, 12:22 PM
Pretty sure he's starting to get some attention after that game Wednesday night. Had a laugh listening to the extra time radio guys refer to our back line as "Moor, Mavinga and the other guy". They were very appreciative of Mavinga's talent on the podcast.
I think this is well deserved. Agree he has been great.

It's funny because he is the guy that I hear the most complaints about in the stands, which I don't understand. Maybe his passing game needs work, but he is a solid defender and a great tackler.

Canary10
03-09-2018, 01:16 PM
I think this is well deserved. Agree he has been great.

It's funny because he is the guy that I hear the most complaints about in the stands, which I don't understand. Maybe his passing game needs work, but he is a solid defender and a great tackler.

Mavinga is the guy you hear the most complaints about? That's nuts. In my area it's Zavaletta. That could change at any moment though.

wopchop
03-09-2018, 01:24 PM
Mavinga is the guy you hear the most complaints about? That's nuts. In my area it's Zavaletta. That could change at any moment though.
Yeah, I don't get it. It could just be a few loud guys with a grudge though. You know how people get.

notthesun
03-09-2018, 03:44 PM
Found this on reddit regarding Mathieu Valbuena. Article not in English tho.

https://www.fotomac.com.tr/fenerbahce/2018/03/09/valbuenaya-abdden-teklif

If we get Valbuena... I mean, god damn.

Hamilton_Red
03-09-2018, 09:28 PM

Torres at Seattle and Waston at Vancouver are for me - but he is the discussion. They are older and he will get better.

Defoe
03-10-2018, 11:40 AM
Torres at Seattle and Waston at Vancouver are for me - but he is the discussion. They are older and he will get better.

Yes. Mavinga was a great pick up. Technically he's very good.

oldtraffordPEI
03-10-2018, 12:30 PM
Very interested in how real these Valbuena rumours are. He hasnt been playing much in Turkey, but he has played with VdW and also 7 years with Cheyrou. Maybe those connections are a factor. At 33, he wouldn't command a very high pricetag. Cheyrou may be talking him into a similar career ending path.

Our midfield is crowded, but maybe all this competition is good and exactly the reason Oso and Delgado have been playing great. Nothing keeps a team stronger then depth. Most bigger leagues have depth galore, something MLS has been lacking.

Seems like a Bez move to me, but who the hell knows!

portu
03-10-2018, 01:24 PM
Very interested in how real these Valbuena rumours are. He hasnt been playing much in Turkey, but he has played with VdW and also 7 years with Cheyrou. Maybe those connections are a factor. At 33, he wouldn't command a very high pricetag. Cheyrou may be talking him into a similar career ending path.

Our midfield is crowded, but maybe all this competition is good and exactly the reason Oso and Delgado have been playing great. Nothing keeps a team stronger then depth. Most bigger leagues have depth galore, something MLS has been lacking.

Seems like a Bez move to me, but who the hell knows!

For real? How many attacking players do we need? Can we please sign a bloody 6

oldtraffordPEI
03-10-2018, 01:47 PM

Ideally I'd like that too. However, if this rumour is true, you'd have to assume the front office has a plan. If they are looking at a guy who has been capped 52 times by France its likely he will improve our squad. This guy is DP level, but may be a bargain in a salary capped world. Bez has built the best team in MLS history, I think I'll trust him over anyone on here.

I'm not disagreeing though, I'm hopeful they will address our defensive depth. I'm just happy to see TFC linked to another start player.

jloome
03-10-2018, 11:07 PM

Somehow the geniuses we have at TFC2 thought little of Marc Anthony Kay, now the starting #6 for LAFC.

I often wonder how many good young talents we've let go.

Ossington Mental Youth
03-11-2018, 01:25 AM
Somehow the geniuses we have at TFC2 thought little of Marc Anthony Kay, now the starting #6 for LAFC.

Sucks but we just won the triple so I'm not that broken up. Think the academy has gotten better along side the team. There will be other youth players that will stick around

SirBobSaget
03-12-2018, 12:20 AM

He was being played as a fullback Which apparently isn't his best position.

James17930
03-12-2018, 05:16 AM
Sucks but we just won the triple so I'm not that broken up. Think the academy has gotten better along side the team. There will be other youth players that will stick around

Yeah - I guess he's good enough for them, and wasn't good enough for us.

ag futbol
03-12-2018, 09:54 AM
We shall see... for the amount the team has invested I think the results are mediocre, at best. Compare the impact of academies like RBNY, FCD, and arguably LAG, we’re not transitioning many players and those players are generally having difficulty sticking at the pro level.

But as you said, i’m not getting too bent out of shape considering the success of the first team.

ensco
03-12-2018, 10:32 AM
Quillan Roberts also got a look there.

I expect more ex TFC guys to land at LAFC.

Michael Bradley has to be one of Bob Bradley’s informal talent ID resources. If we let a guy go, and Michael liked him, Bob is going to take a look.

ag futbol
03-12-2018, 11:01 AM
^ While I wouldn’t rule that out in entirety, majority of the credit goes to Marc Dos Santos as LAFC assistant.

You know, the guy who should probably be coaching canada but is either uninterested or discounted, despite having an actual track record of performance.

ensco
03-12-2018, 11:31 AM
Dos Santos wouldn’t have a serious read on TFC Academy guys, though... am I missing something?

Initial B
03-12-2018, 11:37 AM
The Ottawa Fury had Weideman on the roster and a loose affiliation with TFC at one point, so MdS might have known about academy players who might get seasoning with the Fury. Kaye could have been on his radar from that time.

TFC07
03-12-2018, 12:23 PM
Yeah, letting Kaye leave the club was bad decision on TFC part.

It seems like TFC is losing a lot of quality young Canadian players these days. Not only that, it seems like they're not putting any effort to sign more Canadian players to first team.

Leedsoronto
03-12-2018, 12:45 PM
Edwards was a potential for TFC, better than Kaye and he was let go, yet we keep Hamilton? WTF

notthesun
03-12-2018, 01:24 PM
Yeah, letting Kaye leave the club was bad decision on TFC part.

It seems like TFC is losing a lot of quality young Canadian players these days. Not only that, it seems like they're not putting any effort to sign more Canadian players to first team.

I don't know about this. One player doesn't make a trend. Since TFC II started here's a list of at least semi-notable Canadian players we've released and their current club:

- Chris Mannella (Vaughan Azzurri - League1 Ontario)
- Manny Aparicio (CD Izarra - Spanish 3rd division)
- Quillan Roberts (Woodbridge Strikers - L1O)
- Skylar Thomas (Charleston Battery - USL)
- Mo Babouli (Al Ittihad - Syrian Premier League)
- Anthony Osorio (Unattached as far as I know)
- Sergio Camargo (Unattached as far as I know)

I don't think I'm missing anyone, and no disrespect to any of those guys but I don't think we're missing out on much. Kaye is the obvious exception, thus far.

On the other hand, a majority of those guys were given first team contracts. In fact our record of signing young Canadians to the first team is pretty consistent, with at least one signed every off-season since 2010.

2010: Doneil Henry & Nicolas Lindsay
2011: Ashtone Morgan, Oscar Cordon, Matt Stinson, Keith Makubuya
2012: Quillan Roberts
2013: Manny Aparicio
2014: Jordan Hamilton & Chris Mannella
2015: Jay Chapman
2016: Mo Babouli
2017: Raheem Edwards & Sergio Camargo
2018: Liam Fraser

The argument if anything should be that we haven't developed enough of these guys into impact players, not that we don't give them chances. And there's probably some truth in that.

But I think having TFC II available now has already helped and will continue to help young players further develop before they try to break in at the MLS level. I personally think Fraser is ready this year to play MLS minutes, and the next crop of Homegrown hopefuls has a few worth keeping an eye on (Hundal & Okello leading the way).

TFC07
03-12-2018, 04:42 PM
I don't know about this. One player doesn't make a trend. Since TFC II started here's a list of at least semi-notable Canadian players we've released and their current club:

I don't think I'm missing anyone, and no disrespect to any of those guys but I don't think we're missing out on much. Kaye is the obvious exception, thus far.

On the other hand, a majority of those guys were given first team contracts. In fact our record of signing young Canadians to the first team is pretty consistent, with at least one signed every off-season since 2010.

2010: Doneil Henry & Nicolas Lindsay
2011: Ashtone Morgan, Oscar Cordon, Matt Stinson, Keith Makubuya
2012: Quillan Roberts
2013: Manny Aparicio
2014: Jordan Hamilton & Chris Mannella
2015: Jay Chapman
2016: Mo Babouli
2017: Raheem Edwards & Sergio Camargo
2018: Liam Fraser

The argument if anything should be that we haven't developed enough of these guys into impact players, not that we don't give them chances. And there's probably some truth in that.

But I think having TFC II available now has already helped and will continue to help young players further develop before they try to break in at the MLS level. I personally think Fraser is ready this year to play MLS minutes, and the next crop of Homegrown hopefuls has a few worth keeping an eye on (Hundal & Okello leading the way).

We lost Petrasso, Tiebert, Aleman (Who I feel will might a jump to MLS like Kaye in the near future) and Afolayan

However, my main concern is that TFC didn't make much an effort to sign Canadian players for first team in the off season. Petrasso and Henry were available and could have been good and cheap depth to have on the first team this year. Plus, they got plenty of potential to become starters in the league.

Greatest Ripoff
03-12-2018, 04:54 PM

Not that it will make much difference for or against but just in case people like to keep track of ex youth players.

Marcus Godhino has been starting for Hearts the past few weeks.
Gabriel Boakye is playing for Energie Cottbus as a striker.
Tyler Pasher is with Sporting KC / 2nd team

Sure there are others that I can't right now.

Greatest Ripoff
03-12-2018, 04:58 PM
and Afolayan

Forgot about him but I wonder how of of his moves were down to the personal circumstances of his family. Definitely an odd progression of clubs.

Defoe
03-12-2018, 06:40 PM
IF kaye can start for LA, that's a great thing. He was never going to get minutes here anyways.

T.O TILL I DIE
03-13-2018, 01:54 AM
We lost Petrasso, Tiebert, Aleman (Who I feel will might a jump to MLS like Kaye in the near future) and Afolayan

However, my main concern is that TFC didn't make much an effort to sign Canadian players for first team in the off season. Petrasso and Henry were available and could have been good and cheap depth to have on the first team this year. Plus, they got plenty of potential to become starters in the league.
Petrasso is garbage

ag futbol
03-13-2018, 05:59 AM

It's important here to differentiate between the early years and the recent ones. I would bet Tiebert looked around at the dysfunction of TFC at the time and said he was never going to maximize his potential as a player trying to develop here. The Aleman / Petrasso crop that decamped for Europe seemed to be more of an aspirational nature but TFC still had problems. While I think that level of shit show has completely passed by the club at large, TFC II / III still look directionless.

What is the actual goal of these teams? What is their target player pool? Those seem like straightforward questions until you start to look at what we've been doing. Pipelines to TFC II have been everything from the Academy, the CSL, NCAA, and other routes internationally. Starting lineups have varied between guys who can't get first team minutes, players rehabbing injuries, and players in early or later stages of development. If we're going to get the most of this resource the staff needs to make their vision more clear and stick to it.

My concern is we hear blanket statements floated like the young guys can't compete on a physical level; then we bring in the older guys and it turns out they can't compete either. So where does the buck stop? I think its time for the current academy management team to give it one last solid try or simply move on. We deserve better and this ownership group which has invested significant resources deserve better. Right now we're doing the equivalent of sending guys for their Harvard MBA only to see them graduate into an entry level job at Dunder Mifflin.

TheGoodson
03-13-2018, 07:37 AM

I have bolded the parts I have questions about:

How do you know that we didn't try and sign any Canadian players? No offense, but there is a handful of Canadian players that could make us better and none of them are going to come cheap. We have the best team in the MLS ever, we need to continue to get better regardless of nationality. (if they are Canadian bonus)

Could you please list Canadian players that could improve this team and still keep be in compliance with the cap

No offense to Petrasso or Henry and they are not an upgrade over VdW, Artur or in Henry's case Moor, Mavinga, Zavaleta or Hagglund. For a 22 year old (Petrasso) or 24 year old (Henry) they are who they are they might get slightly better but not world beaters. They are depth/spot starters on shitty teams. For TFC they would be TFC II material no better.

This fascination of some posters that we need to sign Canadian talent is absurd. TFC should sign the best players to put them in a position to win titles. If they are Canadian great, if not that's ok too...

19Barrett19
03-13-2018, 09:18 AM
Valbuena rumored to TFC. Nice addition if true. Take it with a grain of salt.

Ossington Mental Youth
03-13-2018, 01:14 PM
This fascination of some posters that we need to sign Canadian talent is absurd. TFC should sign the best players to put them in a position to win titles. If they are Canadian great, if not that's ok too...

This

wopchop
03-13-2018, 08:02 PM
See link: https://www.wakingthered.com/2018/3/13/17107572/rumour-toronto-fc-make-offer-for-french-international-mathieu-valbuena-france-fenerbahce

Globetrotter
03-13-2018, 08:16 PM
I agree with all the points from that article. Especially if he's a liability defensively - what are they thinking with adding this guy? Surely there's 500+ other options globally that could be as good or better, something more in line with how we could deploy them.

Not even what works for us, This guy isn't coming over here to be a starter - and we dont need another discontent on the bench.

portu
03-14-2018, 12:01 AM
Disagree with that article.

I think our fullback depth is solid 3 at each position.

Left: Morrow, Auro, Morgan
Right: VDW, Auro, Hasler

I agree that we need a 6/8. I feel like the Aketxe signing manifested itself when it did because the front office simply didn’t want to miss out on the player.

6/8: Bradley, Delgado, Fraser

Osorio isn’t the two-way player Delgado is.

If they aren’t going to fill the position with an international would feel more comfortable if they brought Okello up to the first team. Think he’s ready.

Also: From the end of September to now we’ve been witnessing the decline of Drew Moor. If this club is looking 3 years in the future they’ll find his replacement this summer.

Shway
03-14-2018, 12:10 AM
Disagree with that article.

I think our fullback depth is solid 3 at each position.

Left: Morrow, Auro, Morgan
Right: VDW, Auro, Hasler

I agree that we need a 6/8. I feel like the Aketxe signing manifested itself when it did because the front office simply didn’t want to miss out on the player.

6/8: Bradley, Delgado, Fraser

Osorio isn’t the two-way player Delgado is.

If they aren’t going to fill the position with an international would feel more comfortable if they brought Okello up to the first team. Think he’s ready.

Also: From the end of September to now we’ve been witnessing the decline of Drew Moor. If this club is looking 3 years in the future they’ll find his replacement this summer.

Agree!

Are team is deep enough that we should slowly start attempting to bode in the academy players (if they're good enough).

PopePouri
03-14-2018, 08:17 AM

I'm happy he matured into a decent no. 6 but do you have insight into why he left. From what I saw, he lost his place of left wing to Raheem Edwards and he played left back for the remainder of the season. When I left for Louisville, he was their starting left winger. This transition to no. 6 was very recent.

Parkdale
03-14-2018, 08:57 AM

As a fan of Marseilles... this would be KILLER news. Granted between him and Gio, we'd have the shortest team in the league... but Valbuena is a midfiled monster twice his size

Ultra & Proud
03-14-2018, 09:20 AM

He is in the latter stages but in a defensive 3 he still is positionally solid enough to get the job done. If I were TFC I would forget about another midfielder and look at trying to find another Mavinga type CB for the opposite side of the back and use Hagglund as Moor's replacement when the time comes. Zavaleta would take Hernadez's spot as the main CB bench sub.

Jack
03-14-2018, 01:33 PM
He is in the latter stages but in a defensive 3 he still is positionally solid enough to get the job done. If I were TFC I would forget about another midfielder and look at trying to find another Mavinga type CB for the opposite side of the back and use Hagglund as Moor's replacement when the time comes. Zavaleta would take Hernadez's spot as the main CB bench sub.

Hernandez is already gone, so his spot is taken by Hagglund right now.

Ultra & Proud
03-14-2018, 09:49 PM
Hernandez is already gone, so his spot is taken by Hagglund right now.

Yeah I know we didn't resign him. What I meant was use Zavaleta like we used Hernandez last season. Give him that roster spot and upgrade the CB position instead of looking at more midfielders.

backbeat
03-14-2018, 10:00 PM
Yeah I know we didn't resign him. What I meant was use Zavaleta like we used Hernandez last season. Give him that roster spot and upgrade the CB position instead of looking at more midfielders.

^
this

Big time....

I would LOVE to see TAM or GAM or whatever it's called on a CB to play along side Mavinga

this would move TFC into another MLS stratosphere - alone at the top, imo

PizzaEatingYeti
03-15-2018, 02:16 AM

This!
It's very clear that TFC's weak spot is central defense this season, because Moor, Hagglund and Zavaleta are not the same quality like the rest of the team in other field areas.
(Moor of course just because age is getting to him, the other two never were.)

Jack
03-15-2018, 03:53 PM
And yet we have one of the best defences in the league. If we can find another gem like Mavinga who's a bit down on his luck like he was, then we should grab him, for sure. Hagglund and Zavaleta are quite solid MLS defenders.

Red CB Toronto
03-15-2018, 03:58 PM
Four players were signed to USL contracts with TFC2.

Midfielder Mariano Miño
Defender Robert Boskovic
Goalkeeper Drew Shepherd
Defender Kyle Bjornethun

https://www.torontofc.ca/post/2018/03/15/toronto-fc-ii-sign-four-players

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DYVZPlMW0AARpKN.jpg

rydermike
03-15-2018, 08:58 PM

Midfielder Mariano Miño
Defender Robert Boskovic
Goalkeeper Drew Shepherd
Defender Kyle Bjornethun

Sheppard was our 2nd round pick
Boskovic from Academy
Bjorthun from Portland B
Mino from Uruguay

Nice mix

Shway
03-15-2018, 10:22 PM
Boskovic is my call for 1 of the next defenders to make it to the first team.

He's on route to play almost 50 professional games as a CB before 20. Every time i've seen him play, I have liked the what I've seen.
Composed player, and has the ability to play out the back, reads the game very well. His downside is his weakness, which ultimately can be worked on especially for his size.

JavierMartini
03-18-2018, 04:13 PM
Boskovic is my call for 1 of the next defenders to make it to the first team.

He's on route to play almost 50 professional games as a CB before 20. Every time i've seen him play, I have liked the what I've seen.
Composed player, and has the ability to play out the back, reads the game very well. His downside is his weakness, which ultimately can be worked on especially for his size.

They all look skin and bones, hopefully the gym can make men out of em.

T.O TILL I DIE
03-19-2018, 11:47 AM

Midfielder Mariano Miño
Defender Robert Boskovic
Goalkeeper Drew Shepherd
Defender Kyle Bjornethun

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DYVZPlMW0AARpKN.jpg
These kids will get trucked on defence, imagine Jozy posting in the box on one them lol

GabrielHurl
03-21-2018, 10:06 AM
News ..

Toronto FC announced Wednesday that the club has re-signed midfielder Victor Vázquez to a multi-year contract extension.

Vázquez, 31, was named to the Major League Soccer Best XI for the 2017 season, after finishing second in the league in assists (16), and leading MLS with six game-winning assists. Vázquez made 39 combined appearances, registering 10 goals and 20 assists across all competitions (MLS league, MLS Cup Playoffs and Canadian Championship). He was named MLS Player of the Week four times (Weeks 13, 25, 27 & 28).

“Following the conclusion of the 2016 season, teams within MLS started to figure out they could sit back on us. It was critical for our group to find a top-level talent that could help unlock teams and put us over the top,” said Toronto FC Sr. Vice-President, Soccer Operations & General Manager Tim Bezbatchenko. “Victor ultimately would become that piece helping us in our success last season in winning the treble. We are pleased to get this deal done so that Victor can help us defend our titles this season and beyond.”

Vázquez has made five appearances across MLS league play and the Concacaf Champions League this season for Toronto FC.

BenRhodes23
03-21-2018, 10:09 AM
Vazquez multi-year extension :scarf:

notthesun
03-21-2018, 10:16 AM
No mention of TAM being used in the press release. Mavinga's extension didn't mention TAM either, though Mavinga wasn't a TAM signing in the first place. Vazquez was however.

So is the club just not revealing our use of TAM or are both these guys actually below the salary threshold? Surely not for Vazquez at least, he'd be taking a big pay cut.

Anyways, this is great news since it was possible that Vazquez could have left after this season.

molenshtain
03-21-2018, 10:42 AM
IIRC you have to make it public when you use TAM. I don't know if that extends to contract extensions but in this case I doubt it. Vazquez was a key player to a championship team and is gaining in age. There's no way on earth he took a pay cut big enough to be under the threshold. If anything he probably got a decent raise.

I don't know why but I always thought Mavinga was a TAM signing. Having him on less than 300k is probably the best deal in the league.

Bellzy
03-21-2018, 10:49 AM
With this sort of momentum from Bez & Co.I wonder if we’ll be hearing good news about The big 3 soon as well?

rydermike
03-21-2018, 10:52 AM
I don't know why but I always thought Mavinga was a TAM signing. Having him on less than 300k is probably the best deal in the league.
TAM threshold is $480,625. We could've given him a raise to just under that, in which case it wouldn't be TAM

Mavinga salary last year was $300,000. We know we gave him a raise, so maybe he's at 400k?

molenshtain
03-21-2018, 10:53 AM
TAM threshold is $480,625. We could've given him a raise to just under that, in which case it wouldn't be TAM

Right. I'd forgotten we gave him a new contract in the off-season. He's probably up near the threshold now.

Luanda
03-21-2018, 11:12 AM
Vasquez contract extended

ScarboroughRed
03-21-2018, 11:34 AM
Could be non related but what does that mean for Aketxe. It sounded like we brought him in to be an understudy for Vazquez, but does this now mean he'll be that for two season? Would he want to be that after leaving home and crossing the ocean?

:noidea:

molenshtain
03-21-2018, 11:56 AM
Could be non related but what does that mean for Aketxe. It sounded like we brought him in to be an understudy for Vazquez, but does this now mean he'll be that for two season? Would he want to be that after leaving home and crossing the ocean?

:noidea:

I think it means the team isn't very confident of being able to resign Osorio at anything resembling a team friendly contract. Aketxe is probably more of a short-mid term like for like replacement for Osorio, not Vazquez.

portu
03-21-2018, 12:08 PM
Osorio is looking like a tasty bit of trade bait right now

ag futbol
03-21-2018, 12:24 PM
I think it means the team isn't very confident of being able to resign Osorio at anything resembling a team friendly contract. Aketxe is probably more of a short-mid term like for like replacement for Osorio, not Vazquez.
I sadly agree that the possibility of resigning Osorio appears remote. Getting to the right pay packet and role on the team will be difficult.

Not sure how Aketxe is going to plug in as a 2-way mid though. He’ll press high but doesn’t dig in enough in the defending 3rd. Maybe it’s there, we just haven’t seen it yet.

Initial B
03-21-2018, 12:37 PM
Just musing, but if TFC makes it to the CWC and Osorio and Delgado start and perform well, what are the odds that they'll get serious offers from European scouts and will be gone anyways?

RealG-TFC
03-21-2018, 12:50 PM
Just musing, but if TFC makes it to the CWC and Osorio and Delgado start and perform well, what are the odds that they'll get serious offers from European scouts and will be gone anyways?

A part of me wouldn't be surprised if either of them get interest from Mexican clubs if they keep performing well against Liga MX teams. Delgado is of Mexican descent and Osorio was in Uruguay with Cavallini who is now at Puebla.

notthesun
03-21-2018, 12:51 PM
Delgado already had Liga MX interest when we signed him to his extension at the tail end of last season.

Areathrasher
03-21-2018, 01:11 PM
Oso is out of contract at the end of the season and I think Larson mentioned he has interest abroad.

Areathrasher
03-21-2018, 01:13 PM
Delgado already had Liga MX interest when we signed him to his extension at the tail end of last season.

Delgado got the extension to ward off the Liga MX interest was my recollection of how it was reported at the time.

ensco
03-21-2018, 01:14 PM
Osorio is looking like a tasty bit of trade bait right now

Only to Montreal and Vancouver.

ensco
03-21-2018, 01:20 PM
I thought he was signed through 2019, but based on Vanney's comments ("It’s good to get him settled in and looking beyond this year"), it sounds like VV had an escape clause at the end of this year. So that's why this happened now.

Based on VV's comments ("I hope I can maybe re-sign again in couple of years"), notwithstanding the use of the word "multiyear", this is a one year extension, through the end of 2019. Which makes sense. VV would want to see what happens with the DPs.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/toronto-fc-sign-midfielder-victor-vazquez-multi-year-extension/

It's all coming to a boil this summer, because in world football, all kinds of stuff starts happening 18 months before contracts expire.

notthesun
03-21-2018, 01:21 PM
Delgado got the extension to ward off the Liga MX interest was my recollection of how it was reported at the time.

Yeah, that was it.

Hamilton_Red
03-21-2018, 01:53 PM
It would be criminal if we let Oso go to another MLS team. I'd be tempted to loan him to a team in Europe for a year to further his development and possibly for him to scratch the itch. There has to be an option to pay him his market value though at TFC. If he leaves it should only be for Euro ambition.

molenshtain
03-21-2018, 02:02 PM
It would be criminal if we let Oso go to another MLS team. I'd be tempted to loan him to a team in Europe for a year to further his development and possibly for him to scratch the itch. There has to be an option to pay him his market value though at TFC. If he leaves it should only be for Euro ambition.

It's not up to us. It's up to him. If he wants to run out his contract and test the waters that's his prerogative.

He'll be 27 by the end of next season. There's a less than 0% chance he'll be okay with still being relegated to a bench role. Same with a loan to Europe to "further his development"(again, he'll be 27 next season and will have played in a professional environment for a decade) or to "scratch the itch".

The way I see it, either he gains a role large enough to warrant a big new contract and increased playing time/media exposure or he says screw it and goes and does whatever he thinks is right for the next step of his career, whether that be in Europe or somewhere else in the league.

ensco
03-21-2018, 03:02 PM
Osorio's best move may well be Vancouver or Montreal.

He can make $300K and play 2500 quality minutes a year for either of them, as a domestic.

I think he may yet be traded to one of them this summer, if Aketxe beats Oso out.

Of course if Oso just beats Aketxe out, then we move Aketxe back to Spain, and Oso gets the minutes and dough from TFC.

portu
03-21-2018, 03:17 PM
Osorio's best move may well be Vancouver or Montreal.

He can make $300K and play 2500 quality minutes a year for either of them, as a domestic.

I think he may yet be traded to one of them this summer, if Aketxe beats Oso out.

Of course if Oso just beats Aketxe out, then we move Aketxe back to Spain, and Oso gets the minutes and dough from TFC.
I could definitely see him ending up in Vancouver or Europe by next season if Aketxe and Vazquez are still around. No way he voluntarily moves to Montreal, at least I hope not.

molenshtain
03-21-2018, 03:29 PM
Osorio knows better than to go to Montreal. He'll go to Europe if that's his only option.

Vancouver are about to sign Arfield and have approximately twelve thousand midfielders already. No way they spend decent money on a moderately more impressive version of Russell Teibert. That said, I'm not as sure there aren't teams in the U.S. willing to take him on despite his international status. I don't think teams view it as much of an obstacle. there's tons of international players on MLS teams that aren't as good as Osorio and were signed with less pedigree.

Joe Kool
03-21-2018, 03:52 PM
Osorio has helped changed games with his play. So far Aketxe looks kind of invisible on the field. Hope this changes once Aketxe gets more games especially if Oso is leaving. Right now I am not impressed but willing to give him time. VDW seems to be improving with each game and Auro was kind of impressive from the start which is what I was hoping was going to happen with Aketxe.

BenRhodes23
03-21-2018, 04:04 PM
I can see Osorio going to Vancouver, Mexico or Europe. I'm sure he would improve certain clubs in England for example, perhaps a Championship or League 1 team looking for promotion that needs an attacking option.

TFC1154ever
03-21-2018, 04:23 PM
I don’t want him to go anywhere. He’s our best Canadian player, and has rightfully earned his place in the starting XI. If he keeps this up, I’d give him a pay raise. If his heart is set on Europe, which it might be from that pre season interview, then let him fly.

TFC07
03-21-2018, 05:01 PM
I can see Osorio going to Mexico or even Spain.

I doubt he will leave TFC to join other MLS club unless he's getting TAM money. Plus, there were rumours of Hamilton CPL team wanting to sign Osorio next year.

BenRhodes23
03-21-2018, 05:33 PM
I can see Osorio going to Mexico or even Spain.

I doubt he will leave TFC to join other MLS club unless he's getting TAM money. Plus, there were rumours of Hamilton CPL team wanting to sign Osorio next year.

I don't think he'd go to CPL yet

OgtheDim
03-21-2018, 06:15 PM
He's playing too good for CPL $.

The one question is whether Osorio qualifies for the new domestic Canadians rule MLS did last year. If he does, he'll have interest from a few US teams

molenshtain
03-21-2018, 06:18 PM
He's playing too good for CPL $.

The one question is whether Osorio qualifies for the new domestic Canadians rule MLS did last year. If he does, he'll have interest from a few US teams

He doesn't. Didn't spend the required years at either TFC or an approved Academy growing up.

Also, to those up thread; Osorio's not good enough for Mexico. if he's going to Europe he's going to Scandinavia or eastern Europe.

Hamilton_Red
03-22-2018, 12:08 AM
If he keeps improving like he has over the last couple of years he should be a starter for TFC for a long time to come. For me TFC has to be consistently playing against Mexican and top Concacaf teams going forward. We will need deep squads from here on - there is no going back to having only 11 starting level players. Osorio is a local lad who is as much a fan as he is a player. He shouldn't be allowed to move for money. He would be fully in his rights to do it....but TFC should find a way to make sure he is paid his market value.

ensco
03-22-2018, 06:32 AM
A bit more here on Vazquez. Larson says he is signed through 2020

http://torontosun.com/sports/soccer/mls/toronto-fc/bezbatchenko-toronto-fc-extended-victor-vazquez-in-concerted-effort-to-keep-group-together

Also Bradley and Seba have “option years” in 2020. Sounds like they are club options, but they could be player options. So Altidore is in a different situation than the other two this summer. Bears keeping an eye on.

OgtheDim
03-22-2018, 07:47 AM
Gotta win the Voyageurs to play in CCL. Montreal will be gunning for that this season.

Which is why we need young Canadian depth too.

portu
03-26-2018, 12:49 PM
https://www.metro.us/sports/new-york/source-former-arsenal-man-alex-song-to-train-red-bulls#.WrkcNC2NUmc.twitter

Former teammate of Chris Mavinga at Rubin Kazan, Alex Song, training with RBNY, looking to sign with an MLS team.

TFC1154ever
03-26-2018, 01:44 PM
I’d only want him if he plays CB (which he has). But hasnt for very long time. I’d pass.

Greatest Ripoff
03-26-2018, 02:21 PM
He was pure class at West Ham a few years ago. I'd have him back there in a heart beat. His only downside was he couldn't stay fit.

molenshtain
04-01-2018, 03:49 PM
The Voyageurs are saying by July 1st the league will grant domestic status to all Canadian players in the league. Great news.

Edit: Every. God. Damn. Year. I fucking hate April fools.

Jpexxx
04-01-2018, 11:28 PM
Dunno what Alex Song's wages are like, but I remember him being pretty mean muggins when he was at Arsenal

Alonso
04-02-2018, 05:02 PM
The Voyageurs are saying by July 1st the league will grant domestic status to all Canadian players in the league. Great news.

Edit: Every. God. Damn. Year. I fucking hate April fools.

LOL g:D

Fooling aside.... this should happen. What's good for the goose is good for the gander.

kuku
04-09-2018, 07:50 AM
Jason Hernandez is back!

MEXICO CITY — Jason Hernandez arrived in Mexico City Sunday afternoon aboard Air Canada flight 1980.
The 34-year-old, free agent defender is expected to officially re-sign with Toronto FC following an extended absence.
Coach Greg Vanney told the Toronto Sun Sunday night at the club’s luxury hotel the Reds are looking to keep Hernandez at BMO Training Ground beyond his playing years.
Hernandez joins Toronto FC amid something of an injury crisis. Nick Hagglund remains sidelined with a hamstring injury and centre back Chris Mavinga has been in and out of the lineup.
Toronto FC hasn’t lost a match (8) in which Hernandez has started or appeared.

C.Ronaldo
04-09-2018, 09:20 AM
Hernandez at BMO Training Ground beyond his playing years. ?

US handling of peurto rico have someone with Canadian living ambitions?

woolly
04-09-2018, 09:51 AM
Hernandez at BMO Training Ground beyond his playing years. ?

US handling of peurto rico have someone with Canadian living ambitions?

That wouldn't surprise me... From what I hear about PR it's still a disaster and this seems a smart move.

portu
04-09-2018, 09:54 AM
Wow thought after so long any Hernandez deal was dead, very happy

C.Ronaldo
04-09-2018, 10:34 AM
That wouldn't surprise me... From what I hear about PR it's still a disaster and this seems a smart move.

its terribly sad

OgtheDim
04-09-2018, 01:50 PM
Him being down in Mexico is...interesting.

Canary10
04-09-2018, 01:57 PM

Mavinga not fit to play you think?

Red CB Toronto
04-09-2018, 02:13 PM

With Nick injured, gives them some cover, different options.

Auzzy
04-09-2018, 02:31 PM
I'm very happy to hear about Hernandez being back, a great option to have available. And "the Reds are looking to keep Hernandez at BMO Training Ground beyond his playing years" is code for a similar deal offered Cheyrou and others in the past: a low-cost extension with options to stay on as a coach or other off-field staff afterwards.

Although I also hope this doesn't mean that Mavinga's injury is serious.

OgtheDim
04-09-2018, 02:45 PM
Mavinga has a sports hernia. Vanney has indicated it will be sorted out at the right time of the season - i.e. as soon as the CCL is done. IIRC, likely 6-8 week recovery time. He'd be back in August.

Canary10
04-09-2018, 03:03 PM
Mavinga has a sports hernia. Vanney has indicated it will be sorted out at the right time of the season - i.e. as soon as the CCL is done. IIRC, likely 6-8 week recovery time. He'd be back in August.

I haven't seen that announced anywhere. Bad news. We'll miss him.

OgtheDim
04-09-2018, 03:22 PM
I haven't seen that announced anywhere. Bad news. We'll miss him.
FWIW, this is from back in March.

https://www.prosoccerusa.com/mls/toronto-fc/toronto-fc-injury-mavinga-morrow/

Canary10
04-09-2018, 03:28 PM
FWIW

https://www.prosoccerusa.com/mls/toronto-fc/toronto-fc-injury-mavinga-morrow/

Hmm. Funny, I never saw that. So he may play tomorrow. It's the kind of injury and the kind of game you try to play through if you can. But that might be it for a while.

RealG-TFC
04-09-2018, 03:30 PM

So by that you mean managing it until the competition is over for us and then surgery, right? So he could perhaps still play if we move on?

OgtheDim
04-09-2018, 03:31 PM
So by that you mean managing it until the competition is over for us and then surgery, right? So he could perhaps still play if we move on?

Yes - Mavinga's been playing with it for awhile

Joe Kool
04-09-2018, 04:24 PM

I don't know how many of you have had this before but I have. I would say it can be quite risky to play him because you can make it worse at any time. I guess it depends on the severity of the tear. I know when mine was giving me pain I was could not do anything physical since pain would shoot down my leg and basically knock me on my ass. I also rushed my recovery and starting getting active too early and re-injured it. My doctor cleared me but I guess he didn't have patients getting back into weightlifting right after recovery. In the end it never healed 100% after that. I get it flaring up now and again when I strain that area too much. I think they should just let him get it fixed and not take any chances and have him back for the last half of the season. If he plays there is a chance he goes down hard and has more of an emergency repair of possibly a bigger issue. Just my two cents. I am sore just thinking about it.

C.Ronaldo
04-10-2018, 12:23 PM
I don't know how many of you have had this before but I have. I would say it can be quite risky to play him because you can make it worse at any time. I guess it depends on the severity of the tear. I know when mine was giving me pain I was could not do anything physical since pain would shoot down my leg and basically knock me on my ass. I also rushed my recovery and starting getting active too early and re-injured it. My doctor cleared me but I guess he didn't have patients getting back into weightlifting right after recovery. In the end it never healed 100% after that. I get it flaring up now and again when I strain that area too much. I think they should just let him get it fixed and not take any chances and have him back for the last half of the season. If he plays there is a chance he goes down hard and has more of an emergency repair of possibly a bigger issue. Just my two cents. I am sore just thinking about it.
i trust TFC physio and docs

they havent risked anyone yet

although handgun probably needs a lower body reset like Jozy did

Valdal
04-10-2018, 04:35 PM
Does anybody know how much TAM money we have left?

Alonso
04-10-2018, 06:10 PM
Does anybody know how much TAM money we have left?

No one knows.

No one can possibly know.

It's not even worth speculating about.

They need to open the books for proper transparency and to improve fan participation.