PDA

View Full Version : TFC 2018 player in-season moves/speculation/rumours

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5]

ag futbol
10-16-2018, 08:32 PM
I would love to see Peter Crouch in a TFC shirt. I'm telling you he would light this league up.
I believe the correct terminology is “he would tear this league a new one” haha

Ossington Mental Youth
10-16-2018, 11:38 PM
Stats don’t tell the story. Jozy is in a very small group with Dero (San Jose/Houston version) and Donovan and maybe Keane, as maybe the greatest clutch striker in MLS history.

He cannot be replaced.

People are quick to dismiss Jozy, he's not that easily replaced. I'd be happy to be proven wrong.

JT Red127
10-17-2018, 12:15 AM
I guarantee you there's a guy in Europe who could do what Jozy does and for the same or less. This guy is no fucking world beater and was a joke in Europe as much people wanna talk about one good season in Holland.

Jozy is proven as one of the greatest clutch goalscorers in MLS history, if not the best. Good luck easily finding that again. I don't care what he did in Europe, thats old news...whats he done here? Score and win everything.

ensco
10-17-2018, 06:05 AM
I guarantee you there's a guy in Europe who could do what Jozy does and for the same or less. This guy is no fucking world beater and was a joke in Europe as much people wanna talk about one good season in Holland.

This post takes the cake.

Do you realize that 90% of attackers in this league, including some incredible ones with massive European pedigrees like Villa, Martins, Gio himself, going back to Thierry Henry, have been neutralized in the playoffs?

Here's my evidence, show me yours.

http://forums.redpatchboys.ca/showthread.php?41200-Relive-it-here&p=1857235&viewfull=1#post1857235

portu
10-17-2018, 09:26 AM

Do you realize that 90% of attackers in this league, including some incredible ones with massive European pedigrees like Villa, Martins, Gio himself, going back to Thierry Henry, have been neutralized in the playoffs?

http://forums.redpatchboys.ca/showthread.php?41200-Relive-it-here&p=1857235&viewfull=1#post1857235

You're seriously going to rest your argument on 5-6 matches? It's useless having any argument over Jozy in this forum.

Jack
10-17-2018, 09:53 AM
Stats don’t tell the story. Jozy is in a very small group with Dero (San Jose/Houston version) and Donovan and maybe Keane, as maybe the greatest clutch striker in MLS history.

He cannot be replaced.

Stats absolutely tell a part of the story. Jozy's scoring has been on the same pace as Giovinco's, yet I don't see very many disparaging or dismissive posts about Giovinco in this thread when it comes to replacing him. Hence me showing the scoring stats.

Altidore is injury-prone, but he's as clutch as they come and is an unmatched combination of power and skill in MLS when he is healthy AND he scores at a pretty decent pace just in general.

ensco
10-17-2018, 10:00 AM
You're seriously going to rest your argument on 5-6 matches? It's useless having any argument over Jozy in this forum.

No let's have this argument. I’m enjoying this. As if the only thing anyone is saying is that Altidore shows up for a few games that happen to be big games.

I'll spare you looking it up on his wiki page. He has scored 44 goals in 85 matches over 4 years. He gets dinged, but honestly, it's been overdone, he hasn't missed that many games until this year, when everybody missed tons of games.

He has to be in the top 5 in league scoring over 2015-2018.

He both scores for fun, and he literally scores every time when it's on the line. (Let's include CCL btw, he scored in damn near every game there too.)

Then there's his impact on the opposing defense. He unlocks Gio and Vazquez. Neither ever looks the same without him.

Clutch scoring is what separates Altidore from the rest, but it's not nearly the only thing he brings.

Jack
10-17-2018, 10:12 AM
His play over both legs of the semi-final against Montreal is one of the all-time great Toronto athlete performances. From the comeback at Saputo to the world-class header to the bullrush down to the corner to set up Ricketts for the clincher, he was immense. And during last year's run, he was the key guy again.

ensco
10-17-2018, 10:15 AM
Stats absolutely tell a part of the story.

I'll rephrase.

Stats won't show you exactly why Altidore can't be replaced - there are a bunch of MLS strikers that can give you 10-12 goals a year, so if that's all you look at, sure.

Chris Wondolowski gave you that and more, but I think he has one playoff goal in his career.

ensco
10-17-2018, 10:18 AM
His play over both legs of the semi-final against Montreal is one of the all-time great Toronto athlete performances. From the comeback at Saputo to the world-class header to the bullrush down to the corner to set up Ricketts for the clincher, he was immense. And during last year's run, he was the key guy again.

You know, I just watched that again, it's in the thread I linked a few posts back. That play deserves more love.

Altidore was 1 v 4 there, chasing down a long clearance to nowhere from way behind. That goal was just incredible, it should be higher in the pantheon.

Jack
10-17-2018, 10:28 AM
I'll rephrase.

Stats won't show you exactly why Altidore can't be replaced - there are a bunch of MLS strikers that can give you 10-12 goals a year, so if that's all you look at, sure.

Chris Wondolowski gave you that and more, but I think he has one playoff goal in his career.

I agree they don't show why he can't be replaced, but my point was that he scores at the same pace as Seba, who isn't on the mob's chopping block in the thread.

You know, I just watched that again, it's in the thread I linked a few posts back. That play deserves more love.

Altidore was 1 v 4 there, chasing down a long clearance to nowhere from way behind. That goal was just incredible, it should be higher in the pantheon.
It's one of my favourite Jozy plays. Heart, skill, strength and precision, all in one. We were up, it was the 100th minute of a brutal tie and he still ran that down, made a great play and picked out a great pass.

jabbronies
10-17-2018, 10:46 AM

two good seasons

ensco
10-17-2018, 04:31 PM
Jozy needs more surgery

https://twitter.com/soccerinsider/status/1052670153060769794?s=21

Richard
10-17-2018, 05:42 PM
Jozy is a great player and is not easy to replace, however, I just cant take it with his injuries anymore, the drop off in overall team cohesiveness when he doesn't play is staggering, and that hurts TFC immensely.

We cant be so tactically reliant on one specific player going forward. I know its hard to have depth in MLS but the drop off is very extreme.

notthesun
10-17-2018, 06:01 PM
Obviously Jozy saw the writing on the wall in terms of his time here knowing he needed another surgery.

He did everything and more we could've asked of him, but it's time to move on.

This will probably impact his transfer fee/number of interested teams, which is unfortunate for us as well.

Richard
10-17-2018, 07:30 PM
If he is having surgery doesn't that mean he cant be sold or traded? He cant pass a physical examination.

DinamoTFC
10-17-2018, 09:02 PM
Totally agree Ensco. MLSE better not get too cute on funding the team. I would resign Altidore and Giovinco and let Bradley walk. He has lost a step big time.

Jozy is our most clutch player. Scores big goals in big games every time.

I agree I would get rid of Bradley. He's regressed and become so slow this season. Very average from him this year.

ag futbol
10-17-2018, 10:02 PM
Jozy is our most clutch player. Scores big goals in big games every time.

I agree I would get rid of Bradley. He's regressed and become so slow this season. Very average from him this year.
Compared to his own very high standards i’d say. Maybe it’s time for a few more guys in the midfield to start pulling their weight defensively

OgtheDim
10-17-2018, 10:13 PM
Watching tonight, I couldn't help but notice Hagglund is just not going to get good enough with us.

Here's hoping Cincy takes Hagglund in the expansion draft. Would be good for him to get a new start in his home state. Guy needs 2 seasons starting in a 4 man backline where he has a seasoned vet beside him. Way too much chopping & changing around him in this team. And his athleticism is going to start to creep down in about 3 years.

ensco
10-17-2018, 10:32 PM
There was never much/any compensation coming back from anywhere for Jozy, given his salary.

I wonder if there isn’t an insurance buyout coming for Jozy that just sets him free in summer 2019. He may need 6 months or more off to fix that foot problem.

OgtheDim
10-18-2018, 05:42 AM
Its not the same problem he had before. This stems from his ankle getting kicked against NYRB.

Initial B
10-18-2018, 06:53 AM
Jozy needs more surgery

https://twitter.com/soccerinsider/status/1052670153060769794?s=21
One of the Twitter comments was interesting, saying that there's a rumor the locker room is a mess. Something happened and nobody is willing to talk about it. Anybody else hear anything about this?

BenRhodes23
10-18-2018, 07:23 AM
One of the Twitter comments was interesting, saying that there's a rumor the locker room is a mess. Something happened and nobody is willing to talk about it. Anybody else hear anything about this?

I remember a while ago that there was an apparent verbal scrap between Bradley and Aketxe i think about Aketxe not pulling his weight defensively and Vazquez stepped in. I saw it a while ago on Twitter

69Chevy396
10-18-2018, 07:37 AM
Jozy is proven as one of the greatest clutch goalscorers in MLS history, if not the best. Good luck easily finding that again. I don't care what he did in Europe, thats old news...whats he done here? Score and win everything.
I can’t believe how the same people here who idolize Osorio, want to rag on Altidore. The later is a bigger hero in TFC than any other player in team history, who should have his number retired, a banner raised, and a dedicated chant, for everything that he has done. Jesus.

Derko
10-18-2018, 08:28 AM
I can’t believe how the same people here who idolize Osorio, want to rag on Altidore. The later is a bigger hero in TFC than any other player in team history, who should have his number retired, a banner raised, and a dedicated chant, for everything that he has done. Jesus.

I agree with you

pfk
10-18-2018, 08:40 AM

I remember there was some chatter earlier this season about doing some sort of Jozy chant at the 67 minute mark of each game.

Ossington Mental Youth
10-19-2018, 08:04 AM
Bradley has looked poor because he's played the majority of it out of position this season

jabbronies
10-19-2018, 10:06 AM

They are probably CMNT fan boys

MightyDM
10-19-2018, 11:22 AM
losing Jozy would severely set the team back. He and Gio have superb synergy. Plus he's my wife's favorite player.

I am a huge fan of Oso. He's had a breakout year and really stepped up. A bit worried about the contract though. But lets hope that he continues his excellent contribution offensively.

MightyDM
10-19-2018, 11:36 AM

Those moments were amazing. I am watching them over and over again. The hardest thing in soccer is to score, normally. A team takes great risks by giving up on that ability. Look how hard it was for us to score before Jozy and Gio came. After, particularly with VV, we were unstoppable.

Red CB Toronto
10-19-2018, 01:03 PM
Well it looks like Jozy could be done for the season.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/tfc-considers-shutting-jozy-altidore-rest-season/

paul-collins
10-19-2018, 02:19 PM
Shutting him down would read like confirmation that they intend to keep him next year, IMO. I'd be happy if that were the case.

Richard
10-19-2018, 05:16 PM
Well it looks like Jozy could be done for the season.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/tfc-considers-shutting-jozy-altidore-rest-season/

Doesn't he need surgery? What the hell is there to consider? Shut him down now.

You are not transferring a "damaged goods player", so let him get back to 100% then off load him.

No team is going to magically offer more knowing full well he is made of glass.

Oldtimer
10-20-2018, 07:16 AM
Doesn't he need surgery? What the hell is there to consider? Shut him down now.

You are not transferring a "damaged goods player", so let him get back to 100% then off load him.

No team is going to magically offer more knowing full well he is made of glass.

Fix him and you don't need to unload him.

ensco
10-20-2018, 07:24 AM
I think it's an odd thing for Vanney to be musing about. It’s blindingly obvious that they should just shut him down if they have the slightest reason. He should just be shut down, end of.

Makes me a bit more suspicious that they are talking insurance settlement, and just letting him go. Like Frings.

Areathrasher
10-20-2018, 02:57 PM
An insurance payout would only be made if he retired, no?

Red CB Toronto
10-20-2018, 07:46 PM
An insurance payout would only be made if he retired, no?

I believe that would the case, they are paid out when the player is faced with a career ending injury. Remember when Bryan Berard had what many considered a career ending eye injury, he recieived a $6.5 million settlement. After missing a season he made a comeback thus returning the settlement money.

Stress
10-20-2018, 09:19 PM

A few home games ago Seba and GVW were really going at each other on the field. I could tell then that the lack of success was impacting the locker room.

Defoe
10-21-2018, 03:52 AM
This team attempted to play an entire season with Zavaleta at CB. How is this acceptable?

Red CB Toronto
10-21-2018, 04:24 AM
This team attempted to play an entire season with Zavaleta at CB. How is this acceptable?

Because Uncle Greg loves him and would not be able to face his sister otherwise, specially at Christmas.

ensco
10-21-2018, 07:55 AM
I think the “Zavaleta is here because he is Vanney's nephew” stuff is crap, and a cheap shot at both of them.

Zavaleta was a huge part of our success in 2017. He was consistently good. Started most of our games. Made plays. I don’t know what happened to him in 2018 ... but it's not like he took minutes from somebody else. We had nobody else.

Do you really think Bez or Manning would tolerate anyone favouring a relative for any reason?

Do you really think Vanney is that guy?

Honestly. It's been a tough year, but let's not do this.

Red CB Toronto
10-21-2018, 09:16 AM
I think the “Zavaleta is here because he is Vanney's nephew” stuff is crap, and a cheap shot at both of them.

Zavaleta was a huge part of our success in 2017. He was consistently good. Started most of our games. Made plays. I don’t know what happened to him in 2018 ... but it's not like he took minutes from somebody else. We had nobody else.

Do you really think Bez or Manning would tolerate anyone favouring a relative for any reason?

Do you really think Vanney is that guy?

Honestly. It's been a tough year, but let's not do this.

Not at all, it was more of joke directed at those who are non stop ragging on him. He and Nick play a part on this team.

Gringo Starr
10-21-2018, 09:44 AM

He started 27 in 2017, they won the treble and the defence was solid. This year he got exposed and looked real bad on a number of occasions but that was true of the whole group. If the salary cap allowed for it, I'd prefer to see another CB brought in but I'm guessing we are up against its so figuring out how to put Zavs in a position where he can perform like he did in 2017 is key, better health for Moor and Mavinga would go a long way.

OgtheDim
10-21-2018, 11:55 AM
No Moor today indicates to me they are thinking of VDW as part of a 3 man CB rotation for next season. I'd be OK with that.

Front 3 of Chapman Seba & Janson might be something we see next season too if Jozy is gone & Vasquez is resting.

Auzzy
10-21-2018, 01:56 PM
No Moor today indicates to me they are thinking of VDW as part of a 3 man CB rotation for next season. I'd be OK with that.

Front 3 of Chapman Seba & Janson might be something we see next season too if Jozy is gone & Vasquez is resting.

That's a really short front line, Janson is only 5' 7", although he jumps really well.

ensco
10-21-2018, 01:59 PM
Not at all, it was more of joke directed at those who are non stop ragging on him. He and Nick play a part on this team.

Ahh OK. I see.

ag futbol
10-21-2018, 03:16 PM

If that is what we have to look forward to next season we are in trouble.

OgtheDim
10-21-2018, 03:19 PM
If that is what we have to look forward to next season we are in trouble.

Its been more of a flat 4-4-2 today but GAWSH Champman is useless out wide. Not quick enough and goes back more then 50% of the time. He's an AM not a RM.

SoccMan2
10-21-2018, 05:03 PM
So just watching the LAFC Whitecaps game , LAFC made a key pickup when they picked up Lee Nguyen who was sitting out the first few weeks of the season stating he wanted to leave New England why didn’t TFC try to pick up Nguyen a proven MLS midfielder one of the better ones in the MLS? Instead TFC went and spent about the same money it would have cost to get Nguyen to go get that useless piece of crap that was Akextche or whatever the hell that waist of space’s name was!

jazzy
10-21-2018, 06:05 PM
So just watching the LAFC Whitecaps game , LAFC made a key pickup when they picked up Lee Nguyen who was sitting out the first few weeks of the season stating he wanted to leave New England why didn’t TFC try to pick up Nguyen a proven MLS midfielder one of the better ones in the MLS? Instead TFC went and spent about the same money it would have cost to get Nguyen to go get that useless piece of crap that was Akextche or whatever the hell that waist of space’s name was!

The whole team including mgmt, showed their inexperience by failing to understand the normal let down in the season following a championship . They were frozen and it seems no one had a critical eye . I would like to pick up kie Kamara , if any of the biggies leaves . Very versatile. Crazy as it seems I think he would have been a better fit for Sebastian . I didn’t say he was better than Josie , just more versatile.

Canary10
10-21-2018, 07:53 PM
The whole team including mgmt, showed their inexperience by failing to understand the normal let down in the season following a championship . They were frozen and it seems no one had a critical eye . I would like to pick up kie Kamara , if any of the biggies leaves . Very versatile. Crazy as it seems I think he would have been a better fit for Sebastian . I didn’t say he was better than Josie , just more versatile.

Not Kei Kamara. Totally inconsistent and never seems to get along in the locker room.

OgtheDim
10-21-2018, 10:02 PM
Nguyen was never going to go to an Eastern team. NER had higher offers from Montreal then they took from LAFC.

ag futbol
10-22-2018, 06:49 AM
Its been more of a flat 4-4-2 today but GAWSH Champman is useless out wide. Not quick enough and goes back more then 50% of the time. He's an AM not a RM.
I think he’s just a kid with talent that has yet to realize the sacrifice required to fully make it in the league. Needs to be sharper.

Clock is running down and his big opportunity might go begging.

Areathrasher
10-22-2018, 08:37 AM
I think he’s just a kid with talent that has yet to realize the sacrifice required to fully make it in the league. Needs to be sharper.

Kid? Chapman will be 25 when the new season starts.

Ultra & Proud
10-22-2018, 10:57 AM

I said the same thing about Osorio for 2 years and he came around. Next year is it for Chapman. Make or break.

ag futbol
10-22-2018, 11:40 AM
Kid? Chapman will be 25 when the new season starts.
No arguments there. It’s getting a little late in the game to be treated as a prospect.

I said the same thing about Osorio for 2 years and he came around. Next year is it for Chapman. Make or break.
Osorio had some sustained run of play in his career you could hang your hat on though. And, as much as some posters have him as their hobby-horse whipping boy, he did lots of non-flashy stuff off the ball to warrant his continuous place in the squad prior to starting his scoring streak (although maybe not as a starter).

Chapman has like one game a year where he looks like a Canadian Mario Götze and the rest of the time looks pedestrian. How long can we hold out?

zorsofstesab
10-22-2018, 12:19 PM
Chapman, Hamilton and Morgan all Canadian players have been given ample time to prove they can play in the MLS. Sad to say but they have all failed. A spurt every once in a while is not good enough. Time to move on. We need quality players and quality bench strength.

jabbronies
10-22-2018, 01:34 PM
I was a fan of Chapman and was hoping we'd see something from him this year, unfortunately we saw squat.

Hamilton is another one who had big opportunities this year to show he's MLS class, but failed.

I don't know what to make of Morgan. He's not a good player, but showed some ok stuff this year. However, what does that say about the club when Ashtone Morgan looks good on the pitch (keep in mind we set a club record for most goals conceded this year)

Joe Kool
10-22-2018, 02:31 PM
With the introduction of the TFC Academy I thought by now we would have seen so much more talent coming out of there by this time....but aside from Osorio, has it produced any true starters? Maybe Doneil Henry is starting at Vancouver right now but I think it comes down to lack of options more than him nailing down that starting spot with his performances. TFC II is last in USL last I looked so doesn't sound like we have too many gems there. You would think in 10+ years we could have had at least one more Osorio come out of that system. Pretty sure some other MLS academies have done better.

ag futbol
10-22-2018, 03:20 PM
I don’t think Osorio even played for TFCA. He played for SC Toronto for half a season prior to making TFC on a preseason trial. Prior to that his formal development was in Uruguay.

Raheem Edwards was developed elsewhere too. Jumped into TFCII at the last minute.

They’ve basically done squat while sitting in one of the most talent rich markets in North America.

Richard
10-22-2018, 03:44 PM
[QUOTE=ag futbol;1881809]I don’t think Osorio even played for TFCA. He played for SC Toronto for half a season prior to making TFC on a preseason trial. Prior to that his formal development was in Uruguay.

Raheem Edwards was developed elsewhere too. Jumped into TFCII at the last minute.

They’ve basically done squat while sitting in one of the most talent rich markets in North America.[/QUOTE

Pretty much. It's a joke really.

OgtheDim
10-22-2018, 05:01 PM
It was a joke. Not sure it is now but others involved might disagree (that having been said, there is no academy in MLS without somebody locally despising it).

The academy was reset starting in 2014. Vanney's first job here. The age academy's need to start working with kids is 13 and under. So, anybody who is now older then 17 from out of that academy would be a bonus. Liam Fraser is that bous.

Realistically, we shoudn't see those kids until they are 19. I don't expect the academy to get us anybody decent for another 2 years yet. If at that point, the cupboard is bare, we got issues.

Which is another reason why I think a complete management reset with both Bez & Vanney gone would be playing with fire. That academy isn't set yet to run on its own churning out people without some sense of its own momentum. Turn out players for the first team for a few years and then it will be able to operate on its own without interference from the first team bosses.

Richard
10-22-2018, 07:13 PM
It was a joke. Not sure it is now but others involved might disagree (that having been said, there is no academy in MLS without somebody locally despising it).

The academy was reset starting in 2014. Vanney's first job here. The age academy's need to start working with kids is 13 and under. So, anybody who is now older then 17 from out of that academy would be a bonus. Liam Fraser is that bous.

Realistically, we shoudn't see those kids until they are 19. I don't expect the academy to get us anybody decent for another 2 years yet. If at that point, the cupboard is bare, we got issues.

Which is another reason why I think a complete management reset with both Bez & Vanney gone would be playing with fire. That academy isn't set yet to run on its own churning out people without some sense of its own momentum. Turn out players for the first team for a few years and then it will be able to operate on its own without interference from the first team bosses.

I really hope the academy gets to where it becomes its own entity and always be run 100% separate from the club.

langilleski
10-23-2018, 09:44 AM
Could be something in this, or nothing at all, but Bez and Jack Dodd were over at Hoffenheim for a "visit".

https://twitter.com/1_LPfannenstiel/status/1054402219360034819 (https://twitter.com/1_LPfannenstiel/status/1054402219360034819)

jabbronies
10-23-2018, 10:18 AM
Could be something in this, or nothing at all, but Bez and Jack Dodd were over at Hoffenheim for a "visit".

https://twitter.com/1_LPfannenstiel/status/1054402219360034819 (https://twitter.com/1_LPfannenstiel/status/1054402219360034819)

maybe they are looking at getting one of these:
https://www.bundesliga.com/en/news/Bundesliga/hoffenheim-coach-julian-nagelsmann-introduces-videowall-to-revolutionise-training-454562.jsp

OfficeGuy
10-23-2018, 10:41 AM
We certainly missed the mark with Mark Anthony Kaye tho...he was in TFC II but went elsewhere and ended up on LAFC...go figure

SirBobSaget
10-23-2018, 01:18 PM
We certainly missed the mark with Mark Anthony Kaye tho...he was in TFC II but went elsewhere and ended up on LAFC...go figure

and they played him at left back

Ossington Mental Youth
10-23-2018, 01:32 PM
Not sure Hamilton or Chapman have had the opportunity to prove themselves this season. Likely not going to as they're bit players but ones that have performed at least adequately when given the chance. Not sure what Vanneys aversion to using Hamilton is but it bothers me.

OgtheDim
10-23-2018, 01:45 PM
FWIW, new MLSPA figures say Janson is making $449K

TFC1154ever
10-23-2018, 02:29 PM
https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2018/10/23/report-veteran-defender-kendall-waston-set-leave-vancouver-whitecaps

One year left on his deal. Makes around $555,000. 30 years old. One of the best CB’s in the MLS. Doesn’t need time to adapt to the league. Has continental experience. This makes way to much sense for us. Him and Mavinga would be one of, if not the best CB’s duals in the league. He’s also a major threat in the air.

I know Vancouver might be skeptical of trading him to another Canadian team, but at least he would not be in conference.

Joe Kool
10-23-2018, 02:43 PM
Not sure Hamilton or Chapman have had the opportunity to prove themselves this season. Likely not going to as they're bit players but ones that have performed at least adequately when given the chance. Not sure what Vanneys aversion to using Hamilton is but it bothers me.

I don't buy the "they didn't get time to prove themselves" argument ever for these guys that we hear each year from some people. They are in training every day with the first team. They have played in games when needed so have had actual game time minutes as well. Janson came in on his first game and looked that he could have a positive impact fairly quickly. Auro did the same. It is possible to show your worth in a game or two with a little time playing. You have to take your chances when you get them. They get plenty of time to prove themselves every day at training and then when called upon in games. The staff are watching them daily and the coach's view is obviously that they are only worth being bit players based on what they have shown. They can only blame themselves in my opinion.

ag futbol
10-23-2018, 03:16 PM
and they played him at left back
Against his preference. His USL team played him out of position too.

Some of these coaches in North America... you have to wonder

ag futbol
10-23-2018, 03:18 PM
https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2018/10/23/report-veteran-defender-kendall-waston-set-leave-vancouver-whitecaps

One year left on his deal. Makes around $555,000. 30 years old. One of the best CB’s in the MLS. Doesn’t need time to adapt to the league. Has continental experience. This makes way to much sense for us. Him and Mavinga would be one of, if not the best CB’s duals in the league. He’s also a major threat in the air.

I know Vancouver might be skeptical of trading him to another Canadian team, but at least he would not be in conference.
I would hold out for Walker Zimmerman if we’re going the within MLS route.

Waston isn’t great on the ball and his reputation with the officials is awful. Big, physical, good in the air, and overrated. Expect a couple sending-offs a season. Pass.

jabbronies
10-23-2018, 03:26 PM
I would hold out for Walker Zimmerman if we’re going the within MLS route.

Waston isn’t great on the ball and his reputation with the officials is awful. Big, physical, good in the air, and overrated. Expect a couple sending-offs a season. Pass.

Yes - we need a CB leader - not another CB enforcer. We need someone who can organize the backline. Waston is not that player.

jabbronies
10-23-2018, 03:27 PM

They have both had plenty of opportunity to prove they are capable and both of them have come up short. Hamilton more than Chapman IMO.

Hamilton didn't execute enough when called upon earlier in the season, hence why he was given less opportunities after. 14 appearances with only 2 goals - not good enough. at that pace he'd score, what...5 goals in a full season - maybe 6. Not good enough

Chapman has a bad attitude on the pitch. Always complaining. Maybe that changes in a better season - but even in the "Best Ever Season" he would pout on the pitch too often for my liking.

SarniaTFC
10-23-2018, 08:26 PM
Yeah I totally agree with what guys are saying about Chapman, Hamilton and Morgan. I don’t like to be negative about players who represent the badge. But in saying that I am a big believer of players who prove they are fit enough and give everything for the badge.
Chapman and Hamilton aren’t good enough for the standard of football we expect after the past few seasons, Morgan has had his ups and downs but again, not fit enough for the standard we want.
This is a big off season and some tough changes are going to have to be made and somebody in that board room is going to have to make a big choice on moving forward.

SirBobSaget
10-23-2018, 09:00 PM
Yeah I totally agree with what guys are saying about Chapman, Hamilton and Morgan. I don’t like to be negative about players who represent the badge. But in saying that I am a big believer of players who prove they are fit enough and give everything for the badge.
Chapman and Hamilton aren’t good enough for the standard of football we expect after the past few seasons, Morgan has had his ups and downs but again, not fit enough for the standard we want.
This is a big off season and some tough changes are going to have to be made and somebody in that board room is going to have to make a big choice on moving forward.

I would give Morgan a pass since he did come up big in CCL. There is always a need for cheap Canadian depth and thats what Morgan is.

BenRhodes23
10-23-2018, 11:01 PM
Yes - we need a CB leader - not another CB enforcer. We need someone who can organize the backline. Waston is not that player.

Essentially we need a younger, healthier Drew Moor.

Defoe
10-24-2018, 12:06 AM
Essentially we need a younger, healthier Drew Moor.

We need 2 CB's and a CAM.

It's really evident the best teams in the league (Atlanta, NYRB) have the best young CAM's. Almiron and Kaku. Boreck Dockal transformed Philadelphia into a playoff team. Maxi Moralez and Luciano Acosta also transformed their teams. MLS has some of the best young CAM's in the world. Vazquez is clearly a lot more important then Bradley ever was.

When Vazquez and Moor went down, our season went down.

I really hope Janson is a replacement for Altidore because Janson is not a luxury we can afford without addressing CB and CAM.

Here are some good ones:

https://realsport101.com/news/sports/esports/fifa/fifa-19-career-mode-best-young-attacking-midfielders-cam-to-sign/

http://www.mejoress.com/en/fifa-19-best-cam-center-attacking-midfielders/

Defoe
10-24-2018, 12:55 AM
We need 2 CB's and a CAM.

It's really evident the best teams in the league (Atlanta, NYRB) have the best young CAM's. Almiron and Kaku. Boreck Dockal transformed Philadelphia into a playoff team. Maxi Moralez and Luciano Acosta also transformed their teams. MLS has some of the best young CAM's in the world. Vazquez is clearly a lot more important then Bradley ever was.

When Vazquez and Moor went down, our season went down.

I really hope Janson is a replacement for Altidore because Janson is not a luxury we can afford without addressing CB and CAM.

Here are some good ones:

https://realsport101.com/news/sports/esports/fifa/fifa-19-career-mode-best-young-attacking-midfielders-cam-to-sign/

http://www.mejoress.com/en/fifa-19-best-cam-center-attacking-midfielders/

But this is the guy I want:

https://www.futhead.com/19/players/11814/martin-benitez/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGB43X7xxHQ

MightyDM
10-24-2018, 12:56 AM
Chapman has played well on multiple occasions. Hamilton puzzles me. But I am also puzzled that he didn’t get a consistent run earlier in the year when Jozy was out. He is the only player we have who is a like for like substitute ( although obviously not at the same level) and Gio needs a hold up player to partner with. I thought it was a mistake at the time and would have contributed to Hamilton’s development as well.

noimpactinmtl
10-24-2018, 02:48 PM
Hamilton has not been good this year. Ricketts is on the downturn of his career and cannot play as a forward for 90 minutes.

noimpactinmtl
10-24-2018, 02:52 PM
But this is the guy I want:

https://www.futhead.com/19/players/11814/martin-benitez/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGB43X7xxHQ

He's also rumoured to cost 5.6 million for transfer value (https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/martin-benitez/profil/spieler/189418). If you're replacing Altidore or Giovinco, fine. Otherwise, we're stretched for for TAM.

Ossington Mental Youth
10-24-2018, 11:28 PM
They have both had plenty of opportunity to prove they are capable and both of them have come up short. Hamilton more than Chapman IMO.

Hamilton didn't execute enough when called upon earlier in the season, hence why he was given less opportunities after. 14 appearances with only 2 goals - not good enough. at that pace he'd score, what...5 goals in a full season - maybe 6. Not good enough

Chapman has a bad attitude on the pitch. Always complaining. Maybe that changes in a better season - but even in the "Best Ever Season" he would pout on the pitch too often for my liking.

Wonderful thing is we can agree to disagree. He started 10 of those 14. How many mins each game did he play and how many games one after another? Still not great numbers but if you're not playing regularly in any manner it's hard to expect him to make an impact. Which leads me to the following comment

Hamilton puzzles me. But I am also puzzled that he didn’t get a consistent run earlier in the year when Jozy was out. He is the only player we have who is a like for like substitute ( although obviously not at the same level) and Gio needs a hold up player to partner with. I thought it was a mistake at the time and would have contributed to Hamilton’s development as well.

Hamilton has not been good this year. Ricketts is on the downturn of his career and cannot play as a forward for 90 minutes.

Ricketts although I like the fella is a sprinter who stumbled upon the sport of football. He's not needed but I hope he finds a good home.

Not sure what people are expecting from Chapman, he's been serviceable when he's been called upon, this is still a league with a cap and he's the sort of player you're going to have around while we have one.

OgtheDim
10-25-2018, 06:04 AM
My real problem with Chapman is attitude. Guy gets frustrated really easy. Tactically, he's not really a right sided shuttler but he's not quick enough with the ball to play the AM role in MLS. Guy needs to reset himself this offseason. Reminds me of Delgado circa 2016.

ensco
10-25-2018, 06:40 AM
I think we need to keep an eye on Atlanta as a player for Jozy in 2019.

They have a lot of change coming in the offseason. Martino gone. Almiron going. Martinez maybe going. They have the money and the vision to be exciting to Jozy.

I note that Jozy has multiple retweets overnight of the Boca Juniors Copa Libertadores game last night.

Schelotto is rumoured to be going to Atlanta. They have already signed Pity from River Plate.

Areathrasher
10-25-2018, 08:20 AM
I think we need to keep an eye on Atlanta as a player for Jozy in 2019.

They have a lot of change coming in the offseason. Martino gone. Almiron going. Martinez maybe going. They have the money and the vision to be exciting to Jozy.

I note that Jozy has multiple retweets overnight of the Boca Juniors Copa Libertadores game last night.

Schelotto is rumoured to be going to Atlanta. They have already signed Pity from River Plate.

I watched that game last night. And i convinced myself overnight that if Jozy goes, Bez/MLSE should go all out for Dario Benedetto.

I mean he is a destroyer of the Impact already :lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aJgbSl5HB_I

ag futbol
10-25-2018, 09:03 AM
My real problem with Chapman is attitude. Guy gets frustrated really easy. Tactically, he's not really a right sided shuttler but he's not quick enough with the ball to play the AM role in MLS. Guy needs to reset himself this offseason. Reminds me of Delgado circa 2016.
He needs to be more decisive. The time he takes to make decisions is too long and he (for whatever reason) seems less willing to take on his man out wide vs. In the centre of the park.

I think his speed isn’t too bad. Not game breaking but good enough.

Frustrating as everyone can see the potential. Hopefully this all leads to improvement in the offseason.

How much longer can he be ahead of Endoh on the depth chart?

jabbronies
10-25-2018, 09:24 AM
He needs to be more decisive. The time he takes to make decisions is too long and he (for whatever reason) seems less willing to take on his man out wide vs. In the centre of the park.

I think his speed isn’t too bad. Not game breaking but good enough.

Frustrating as everyone can see the potential. Hopefully this all leads to improvement in the offseason.

How much longer can he be ahead of Endoh on the depth chart?

I rate Endoh higher than Chapman.
Chapman has potential, but that's all it is.
The only thing endoh has going against him from being on TFC last year was numbers at his position

reggie
10-25-2018, 10:41 AM
The only thing endoh has going against him from being on TFC last year was numbers at his position
and he counts has a import..

Ultra & Proud
10-25-2018, 01:13 PM
and he counts has a import..

For now.

Ossington Mental Youth
10-26-2018, 01:47 AM

And he can't cross or shoot. He's got speed and enthusiasm tho

Auzzy
10-26-2018, 05:51 AM
And he can't cross or shoot. He's got speed and enthusiasm tho

Endoh can't shoot?

An MLS keeper might have stopped one of these. Still good shots though.

https://www.twitter.com/jogabonito_usa/status/1041515922589147136

I would agree he's inconsistent though.

Derko
10-26-2018, 09:15 AM
Endoh can't shoot?

An MLS keeper might have stopped one of these. Still good shots though.

https://www.twitter.com/jogabonito_usa/status/1041515922589147136

I would agree he's inconsistent though.

But willing to strike from outside the box, where as I have very rarely seen a first team TFC player actually take a strike from outside the box, always wanting to make that one or two extra passes and lose possession or recycle back towards our goal, tactically for me that is a huge problem with TFC and Vanney, he wants the team to score goals from inside the penalty area and TFC does not have the players skilled enough to do that barring a few, Gio, Jozy and VV. My 2 cents. And as mentioned Chapman is 25 he will never be any more skilled than he is.

Ultra & Proud
10-26-2018, 09:30 AM
But willing to strike from outside the box, where as I have very rarely seen a first team TFC player actually take a strike from outside the box, always wanting to make that one or two extra passes and lose possession or recycle back towards our goal, tactically for me that is a huge problem with TFC and Vanney, he wants the team to score goals from inside the penalty area and TFC does not have the players skilled enough to do that barring a few, Gio, Jozy and VV. My 2 cents. And as mentioned Chapman is 25 he will never be any more skilled than he is.
Everything in this statement is 100% spot on.

ag futbol
10-26-2018, 09:44 AM
And as mentioned Chapman is 25 he will never be any more skilled than he is.
2010: former MLS second round draft pick at the age of 24 scores one goal and zero assists in about 500 minutes of action. Next year: 5 goals, 7 assists. Year after: 5 goals, 15 assists, MLS all-star. If you can’t guess who it’s Graham Zusi.

2018: Jay Chapman at 24 scores 3 goals in 900 minutes, shows the very odd flash of brilliance but doesn’t ever put together a full game outing.

I agree, odds are against Chapman. But, stranger things have happened. And it’s not unusual in this wonky development system in North American for guys to be late bloomers.

Looking down our list of prospects, sure he’ll have to fight with Endoh for minutes but it’s not like the Academy is offering much these days. Hard to think of who is going to be a replacement that far down the roster.

I’m disappointed, but cautious, especially after we jettisoned Kaye.

Oldtimer
10-26-2018, 10:30 AM
Please continue the discussion in the off-season thread:

http://forums.redpatchboys.ca/showthread.php?42014-TFC-2018-2019-player-off-season-moves-speculation-rumours