PDA

View Full Version : Gregory van der Wiel : TFC player

oldtraffordPEI
02-01-2018, 10:34 AM
Well its official, how about an official thread for van der Weil.

Welcome to TFC!

Anyone have any idea how much he costs us?

oldtraffordPEI
02-01-2018, 10:37 AM
https://twitter.com/torontofc/status/959083498635169792

Slight dig at Cagliari in there lol

TFC1154ever
02-01-2018, 12:11 PM
300,000-500,000 transfer fee, and he’s making 800,000-900,00 ish

rydermike
02-01-2018, 12:51 PM
Sign him to a $50,000 contract, then sign his wife to a $1 million TFC modelling contract. Cap circumvention :lol:

Initial B
02-01-2018, 03:05 PM

Five years ago, TFC was paying Richard Eckersley $310,000 to play the same position. Let that sink in.

Red CB Toronto
02-01-2018, 03:10 PM
Five years ago, TFC was paying Richard Eckersley $310,000 to play the same position. Let that sink in.

I loved Richard, he was our player of the year.

TFC Tifoso
02-01-2018, 03:29 PM

He was the best of a very bad bunch, which unfortunately for Eckersley, was still not a complement....
That "Mariner Year" shirt is the only one I have no name on....and I own a home or away shirt from every season....

But on topic....I'm really looking forward to seeing how vdW will link with guys like Bradley and Vasquez.....I think it'll be beautiful to watch....

jloome
02-01-2018, 03:35 PM
He was the best of a very bad bunch, which unfortunately for Eckersley, was still not a complement....
That "Mariner Year" shirt is the only one I have no name on....and I own a home or away shirt from every season....

But on topic....I'm really looking forward to seeing how vdW will link with guys like Bradley and Vasquez.....I think it'll be beautiful to watch....

Eckersley was excellent when disciplined. He lost that discipline the weaker the team's shape got and the more he felt he had to take it up a gear. He was a really good defensive back who I think was somewhat ruined by the quality of the league at the time.

Maybe that lack of consistency was what held him out of the Man Utd first team though. People forget he was their reserve player of the year before coming to us, and was offered another contract to continue developing, but chose to go to Burnley for first team games instead and lost his spot.

TFC Tifoso
02-01-2018, 03:52 PM
Eckersley was excellent when disciplined. He lost that discipline the weaker the team's shape got and the more he felt he had to take it up a gear. He was a really good defensive back who I think was somewhat ruined by the quality of the league at the time.

Maybe that lack of consistency was what held him out of the Man Utd first team though. People forget he was their reserve player of the year before coming to us, and was offered another contract to continue developing, but chose to go to Burnley for first team games instead and lost his spot.

Some fair points, but I read the first couple of lines as "he played decent as long as everyone else did too". I'm aware of his history in England, and was excited when he came over because of it, but I saw nothing exceptional while he was here. It's a personal observation, and I realise that certain players/coaches will do things that endear themselves to the fans (like Carver, another guy that did absolutely NOTHING for me, personally), but that's how I saw it.

Anyways, he's long gone now, and vdW will hopefully turn out to make the strongest MLS team ever even more so.

ensco
02-01-2018, 04:14 PM
The historical guy to compare vdW to, is Torsten Frings.

TFC's only two squad members to start in a WC final game.

vdW is a lot younger and cheaper!

TFC Tifoso
02-01-2018, 04:18 PM

Yeah, read too today that vdW will be the 13th player in MLS who has played in a World Cup final, and 1 of 3 currently in the league (vdW, Villa, Schwiensteiger)
Not sure though if by "final" was meant as in tournament or match.....its gotta be tournament

OgtheDim
02-01-2018, 04:46 PM
Final as in match - he played in the same game as Villa.

rydermike
02-01-2018, 04:47 PM
Yeah, read too today that vdW will be the 13th player in MLS who has played in a World Cup final, and 1 of 3 currently in the league (vdW, Villa, Schwiensteiger)
Not sure though if by "final" was meant as in tournament or match.....its gotta be tournament

No they mean the actual final. Many have played in the World Cup (just think of all the Americans).

Players who won the World Cup and played in MLS off the top of my head - Thierry Henry, Pirlo, Nesta, Kaka, David Villa, Schwisnsteiger

Edit: Branco, Denilson, Kleberson, Youri Djorkaeff, Lothar Mattheus

https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2017/03/21/world-cup-winners-schweinsteiger-latest-exclusive-mls-club

That's 11, then vdW and Torsten Frings were both runners up making 13

ensco
02-01-2018, 05:21 PM
Tons of MLS guys have been in the WC tournament.

TFC: vdW, Frings, Bradley and Altidore of course, and I think Edu, Guevara and maybe Boyens are the other TFC guys on that list.

Seba played in Euro 2012.

EDIT: + Julio Cesar!

Gazza_55
02-01-2018, 06:15 PM

Where did you see that? I'm trying to pin down how much TAM we have left..

Ajax TFC
02-01-2018, 06:52 PM
Finally my board username is fulfilled. Can't wait to get a VdW TFC jersey to hang up next to my VdW Ajax jersey

ensco
02-01-2018, 07:11 PM
Finally my board username is fulfilled. Can't wait to get a VdW TFC jersey to hang up next to my VdW Ajax jersey

Javier Martina was a huge star at Ajax, in his two games there....

Jpexxx
02-01-2018, 07:19 PM

Had such high hopes for Martina after that golaso in his home debut lol

Ajax TFC
02-01-2018, 07:32 PM
Was a huge star for TFC too, in his first game here...

GuelphStorm2007
02-01-2018, 07:59 PM
I wish him the best of Luck Hopefully he will blend in well with pretty close knit group and Yes as rydermike says do sign his wife to a modelling contract

GuelphStorm2007
02-01-2018, 08:00 PM
Was a huge star for TFC too, in his first game here...
TOO Funny

SoccMan2
02-01-2018, 08:09 PM
Ya Richard seemed like a great guy , played with a lot of heart and always gave 100%, but unfortunately he would be lucky to make the bench on the present day TFC team, you want to win championships the days of signing guys who could barely cut it in the second tier of English soccer are hopefully gone and thank God.

Defoe
02-01-2018, 08:13 PM
-----------------Altidore-Giovinco

Morrow-Vazquez-Delgado-Vand der Weil

--------------------Bradley

------- Mavinga-Hagglund-Zavaletta

Bench:
Moor,
Osorio
Ricketts.

very Europe esq squad. Would love to see how they stack up vs clubs like New Castle, Fiorentina

James17930
02-01-2018, 08:18 PM
-----------------Altidore-Giovinco

Morrow-Vazquez-Delgado-Vand der Weil

--------------------Bradley

------- Mavinga-Hagglund-Zavaletta

Bench:
Moor,
Osorio
Ricketts.

very Europe esq squad. Would love to see how they stack up vs clubs like New Castle, Fiorentina

And can shift to:

-----Altidore--Gio--------

Oso/Delgago--Vazquez--Bradley--Hasler

Morrow--Mavinga--Moor--van der Wiel

We have lots of options now.

General Woolfe
02-01-2018, 09:50 PM
I saw a lot of him when he was with PSG and thought he was an outstanding fullback in a team full of superstars. If we get that player he’ll be a standout in MLS. I was surprised when PSG let him go but the club were out to buy success so perhaps I shouldn’t have been. I’m not sure what’s gone wrong with his career the past two years but hopefully he can put it behind him and rediscover the form he showed in the French capital

Welcome to Toronto Gregory!

TFC1154ever
02-02-2018, 12:57 AM
^ Injuries in Fenerbahce. Injuries and new coach in Cagliari.

Both his salary and transfer are an educated guess. His transfer was said to be 6 figures by Larsun. They paid a million for him. Half way through the season, plus he wasn’t playing, I assume 300,000 was the transfer fee. His salary is said to be in the high 6 figures (again Larsun) and he was making 700,000 at Cagliari, so I assume around there here as well.

James17930
02-02-2018, 01:33 AM
^ Injuries in Fenerbahce. Injuries and new coach in Cagliari.

Both his salary and transfer are an educated guess. His transfer was said to be 6 figures by Larsun. They paid a million for him. Half way through the season, plus he wasn’t playing, I assume 300,000 was the transfer fee. His salary is said to be in the high 6 figures (again Larsun) and he was making 700,000 at Cagliari, so I assume around there here as well.

Plus bonuses, of course, which he'll have a good chance of getting.

Some people on Reddit are saying he's lost his way, and that he only cares about his image and his brand now, etc. If that's true, and his head isn't fully into it here, at least we didn't break the bank to get him.

But personally I think he's going to be great. He'll get sucked into the winning atmosphere here.

Oldtimer
02-02-2018, 07:29 AM
Plus bonuses, of course, which he'll have a good chance of getting.

Some people on Reddit are saying he's lost his way, and that he only cares about his image and his brand now, etc. If that's true, and his head isn't fully into it here, at least we didn't break the bank to get him.

But personally I think he's going to be great. He'll get sucked into the winning atmosphere here.

Bez does a lot of due diligence on players' characters. I trust him much more than anonymous people on reddit, who probably know less than the average person on this board.

TFC Tifoso
02-02-2018, 07:50 AM
Final as in match - he played in the same game as Villa.

No they mean the actual final. Many have played in the World Cup (just think of all the Americans).

Players who won the World Cup and played in MLS off the top of my head - Thierry Henry, Pirlo, Nesta, Kaka, David Villa, Schwisnsteiger

Edit: Branco, Denilson, Kleberson, Youri Djorkaeff, Lothar Mattheus

https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2017/03/21/world-cup-winners-schweinsteiger-latest-exclusive-mls-club

That's 11, then vdW and Torsten Frings were both runners up making 13

TFC: vdW, Frings, Bradley and Altidore of course, and I think Edu, Guevara and maybe Boyens are the other TFC guys on that list.

ya good points all (especially the American players one).
Must've had a brain fart yesterday, but quick thinking made me believe there couldn't have been 13 MLS players who took part in a final match....forgot the MLS O.G.'s like Djorkaeff and Lothar.....

One thing about Nesta though....he never actually played in the '06 final....got hurt in the 2nd game of that tourney v. Czechs and Materazzi played the rest of the way.....Mad Marco actually scored the tying goal v. France in the final and a goal in the shootout too....

James17930
02-02-2018, 10:36 AM
Bez does a lot of due diligence on players' characters. I trust him much more than anonymous people on reddit, who probably know less than the average person on this board.

Oh, I agree. I was just mentioning it.

OgtheDim
02-02-2018, 11:06 AM
This is not directed at anybody in here.

:rant:

The whole "what is he doing caring about his modeling" thing is patriarchal bull shit.

He will be in photoshoots with or without his wife and people will just have to get used to it.

That's the life of a photogenic man married(?) to a woman who makes more money at her thing then he does at his. He shares that part of her life. Oh well.

If he plays crap, those shoots have nothing to do with his play.

As long as he works hard on and off the pitch, I don't care if he models or plays video games or helps his Mom with chores or does charity work. These are human beings - let em live for God's sake.

JuliquE
02-02-2018, 11:30 AM
Really want the CCL, and I hope he turns out to be an integral piece for us this year, in a way similar to how Vazquez was last.

TFC Tifoso
02-02-2018, 03:18 PM

The whole "what is he doing caring about his modeling" thing is patriarchal bull shit.

He will be in photoshoots with or without his wife and people will just have to get used to it.

That's the life of a photogenic man married(?) to a woman who makes more money at her thing then he does at his. He shares that part of her life. Oh well.

As long as he works hard on and off the pitch, I don't care if he models or plays video games or helps his Mom with chores or does charity work. These are human beings - let em live for God's sake.

Fair enough, but I don't think anyone in his position would not be open to criticism if the side-activities or hobbies affect the on the field job.
After all, these guys need to understand what it is that butters their bread....
Exhibit A - Ricketts, Rohan.....

Auzzy
02-02-2018, 04:12 PM
Fair enough, but I don't think anyone in his position would not be open to criticism if the side-activities or hobbies affect the on the field job.
After all, these guys need to understand what it is that butters their bread....
Exhibit A - Ricketts, Rohan.....

How do you know that Ricketts' (or anybody's) side activities affect the job on the field? Maybe Ricketts was just a bit of a head case, and not a great player? Of course if they're drunk & getting arrested (Aceval / Soolsma / Silva in Houston), or arriving at the team hotel way after curfew (JDG), showing up late for practice, and more we've heard or seen over the years, that's one thing. Hopefully Vanney watches for & disciplines such things. But MLS players have plenty of free time to do modelling, golfing, or a ton of sponsorship & advertising that some of them do (and nobody bats an eye at).

19Barrett19
02-02-2018, 04:14 PM

Add Julio Ceasar to that list.... that makes it 3

TFC Tifoso
02-02-2018, 04:30 PM
How do you know that Ricketts' (or anybody's) side activities affect the job on the field? Maybe Ricketts was just a bit of a head case, and not a great player? Of course if they're drunk & getting arrested (Aceval / Soolsma / Silva in Houston), or arriving at the team hotel way after curfew (JDG), showing up late for practice, and more we've heard or seen over the years, that's one thing. Hopefully Vanney watches for & disciplines such things. But MLS players have plenty of free time to do modelling, golfing, or a ton of sponsorship & advertising that some of them do (and nobody bats an eye at).

You're right, I don't for certain.....but if I remember correctly, he was pretty highly regarded as a young player, so you have to think the talent is/was there.
He was hanging with 50 Cent, the blogs, the commercials....and that was just what we seen with his time here.
Thinking logically, it's definitely not a leap to come to the conclusion that one came at the expense of the other.....

rydermike
02-02-2018, 05:49 PM
Add Julio Ceasar to that list.... that makes it 3

Julio Cesar never made it to a World Cup Final, closest he came was the 7-1 Semi-Final loss. He wasn't on the 2002 team. He did win 2 Confederations Cups though

trane
02-03-2018, 10:03 PM
Very, very, very , very nice singing. This is very good.

DOMIN8R
02-04-2018, 09:05 AM
This.

| "Bez has developed a big knack for reclamation projects."

It's truly a special gift. If Bez pulls another rabbit out of his hat and vdW ends up being another MLS gem, MLSE will have a hard time keeping Bez. The offers will come roaring in, around the league.

molenshtain
02-04-2018, 12:40 PM
This.

It's truly a special gift. If Bez pulls another rabbit out of his hat and vdW ends up being another MLS gem, MLSE will have a hard time keeping Bez. The offers will come roaring in, around the league.

I don't think we have to worry about Bez going somewhere else in the league. We're one of the 3-4 biggest clubs in the league with deep pockets in a really nice city. I think it's more likely he goes to Europe.

Or he doesn't want to go and his reign will continue on and on. Behind the scenes guys tend to chase bigger checks and roles at bigger jobs a lot less than managers and players. A lot more incentive to stay put once your in a good spot.

ag futbol
02-04-2018, 01:34 PM
USMNT might be the other big threat at some point. But... before any of this happens they have to continue succeeding.

Porter and Kreis also won plaudits at points and people wondered if they’d get a bigger job .... but they eventually stopped showing that level of consistency and the chatter went away. So I rest easy knowing if these guys get yanked for a bigger seat they’ll have filled our trophy cases for some time.

Shway
02-05-2018, 01:08 AM
They said Bez, not Vanney.... No?

Two different roles and responsibilities. The fact Bez got him, its job well done. To me it's up to Vanney (the coach) to fit in a player of that caliber

portu
02-05-2018, 10:32 AM
And our new number 9 is....... Gregory van der Weil

Guy definitely has an ego to be a fullback with the number 9

sn0re
02-05-2018, 10:40 AM

Endoh used to be 9, right?

Cas87
02-05-2018, 10:52 AM
Endoh used to be 9, right?

True, but since he is on trial the number is available to anyone.

C.Ronaldo
02-05-2018, 11:35 AM
to get a player a few seasons removed from that PSG team.

WOW! this a sign of great things to come

DinamoTFC
02-05-2018, 12:29 PM

Nowadays a lot of players don't pick numbers for positional reasons rather for numbers they like. Example jozy with number 17 and mavinga with number 23. So VdW being 9 really makes no difference cause jozy seba or rickets all had the option of taking it and none did.

rydermike
02-05-2018, 02:25 PM
Nowadays a lot of players don't pick numbers for positional reasons rather for numbers they like. Example jozy with number 17 and mavinga with number 23. So VdW being 9 really makes no difference cause jozy seba or rickets all had the option of taking it and none did.
While I've never been one for positional numbers being mandatory, some numbers just feel very odd in certain places (ie, 7-11 on defence, 2-5 for strikers). Other numbers like 15 for example, feel fine anywhere on a pitch to me

Areathrasher
02-05-2018, 02:35 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DVS5wWtWkAAcr7l.jpg

Shway
02-05-2018, 03:31 PM
reminds me of this:

https://i2-prod.mirror.co.uk/incoming/article10923001.ece/ALTERNATES/s810/Arsenals-new-signing-Gallas-shows-new-shirt-at-training-ground-in-north-London.jpg

.....GDVW, lets hope him picking the number 9 isn't indicative to failed expectations.

Ajax TFC
02-05-2018, 03:32 PM
So weird. I'm not opposed to numbers being slightly out of position, but in my mind number 2 is a RB number; 3-6 in the back half of the field; 7 anywhere in midfield or attack or even attacking fullback; 8 any central midfield spot; and 10 & 11 anywhere up front. But 9 looks totally out of place anywhere but on a striker imo. It reminds me of Dempsey wearing 2. Though in all fairness, there aren't any real fullback numbers available, and he could very well spend a lot of time up front

Areathrasher
02-05-2018, 03:34 PM
reminds me of this:

.....GDVW, lets hope him picking the number 9 isn't indicative to failed expectations.

This is the one it reminded me of. A CB. He was shit for Chelsea iirc.

https://media.gettyimages.com/photos/new-signing-khalid-boulahrouz-of-chelsea-poses-for-the-cameras-with-picture-id71694193?k=6&m=71694193&s=612x612&w=0&h=Azr3rub0Oepqk0Mtarg7hXW8N3w7FBJEGKTAKpYkxuQ=

ronimo
02-05-2018, 04:08 PM
That makes sense now... They both played RB for the Dutch during the 2010 world cup. Must be a tribute to Boulahrouz.

James17930
02-05-2018, 07:40 PM
vdW was very honest and open today in the press conference about the misfortunes of his past two years, and he said one of the main reasons he wanted to come here was for the difference in the culture and people. He said how he was sick of being judged for his private life, and he felt that professional sports in North America was very much ahead of Europe in terms of the professionalism.

So rack up another victory for compassion and inclusivity! But also, I feel like the notion of 'a Human Resources department' and people management just doesn't really exist at a lot of clubs over there. For players who have been marginalized or treated with indifference at some clubs, coming here must seem like a totally different world.

He also said he had lost his passion for the game, so hopefully that comes back soon.

molenshtain
02-05-2018, 08:08 PM
vdW was very honest and open today in the press conference about the misfortunes of his past two years, and he said one of the main reasons he wanted to come here was for the difference in the culture and people. He said how he was sick of being judged for his private life, and he felt that professional sports in North America was very much ahead of Europe in terms of the professionalism.

So rack up another victory for compassion and inclusivity! But also, I feel like the notion of 'a Human Resources department' and people management just doesn't really exist at a lot of clubs over there. For players who have been marginalized or treated with indifference at some clubs, coming here must seem like a totally different world.

He also said he had lost his passion for the game, so hopefully that comes back soon.

The media culture around sports is also an entirely different animal over there. Intensely negative and sensationalized. I think a lot of players in Europe would much prefer our model for how to treat and respect athletes.

rydermike
02-05-2018, 08:54 PM
TFC Website. ... Apparently he's a forward https://i.imgur.com/brWCETt.png

Defoe
02-05-2018, 10:29 PM
Hoping he's mentally stronger here.

Red CB Toronto
02-05-2018, 11:03 PM
Completely agree, don't care what he does with his life off the field as long as it does not affect his character, thus effecting the club. Let him prove himself on the pitch before making judgment. Don't we remember one of the games biggest stars was a marketing machine both on and off the pitch, in Becks.

Auzzy
02-05-2018, 11:05 PM
Hoping he's mentally stronger here.

I really hope so as well! But it seems he did pretty well in Amsterdam and Paris. Sounds like Turkey was a shitshow on a couple of levels. And then Cagliari, population 150k, and he wasn't even playing after a coaching change.

Shway
02-06-2018, 12:33 AM
The media culture around sports is also an entirely different animal over there. Intensely negative and sensationalized. I think a lot of players in Europe would much prefer our model for how to treat and respect athletes. I strongly disagree. What happens in football in Europe is comparable to what happens here with players in the NFL, NBA, & NHL. In North American sports media, reporters have access to players in the change rooms, on field right after a game, halftime interviews you name it.... and sometimes they are condescending, or ask dumb questions to a player that just lost a game badly and probably doesn't want to hear certain questions/comments. Soccer isn't a "popular" sport, so the media presence isn't as large as the other major leagues and the few are politically correct when it comes to soccer. If they're not, they'll be blackballed from interviews and press conferences.

I'll run with the people and city culture reason. But the media thing is only because soccer is on the come up.

James17930
02-06-2018, 01:22 AM
I don't know why, but this signing has really made me happy for a number of reasons. Obviously because he's going to make the team better, but also because he just seems like a really nice guy who's had some shit luck the last few years and our amazing city is going to give him the chance to be happy again.

Like another example of the city spreading its arms to take in wayward souls.

(Sorry for the melodrama; I've been feeling super homesick lately so I guess I'm just projecting. But still ... happy!)

molenshtain
02-06-2018, 01:43 AM
I strongly disagree. What happens in football in Europe is comparable to what happens here with players in the NFL, NBA, & NHL. In North American sports media, reporters have access to players in the change rooms, on field right after a game, halftime interviews you name it.... and sometimes they are condescending, or ask dumb questions to a player that just lost a game badly and probably doesn't want to hear certain questions/comments. Soccer isn't a "popular" sport, so the media presence isn't as large as the other major leagues and the few are politically correct when it comes to soccer. If they're not, they'll be blackballed from interviews and press conferences.

I'll run with the people and city culture reason. But the media thing is only because soccer is on the come up.

but the media have an actual rapport with the players in NA sports. Yes, their's in locker-room interviews, yes they do more do have more access, but it's respectuful. In Europe the goal is to basically scandalize the sport. Read the British tabloids. Read La Marca or Sport from Spain. Read the Italian papers. It's toxic, instrusive, sensationalized and negative.

That's not what the media culture here is at all. Not in any sport.

burlington Red
02-06-2018, 10:00 AM
but the media have an actual rapport with the players in NA sports. Yes, their's in locker-room interviews, yes they do more do have more access, but it's respectuful. In Europe the goal is to basically scandalize the sport. Read the British tabloids. Read La Marca or Sport from Spain. Read the Italian papers. It's toxic, instrusive, sensationalized and negative.

why would you read them for. There are so many excellent journalists and outlets covering football in the UK. You read crap like that, you get the toxic crap they spout.

Areathrasher
02-06-2018, 10:19 AM

Steve Simmons says Hi and would you like a hot dog or muskoka cottage :lol:

OgtheDim
02-06-2018, 11:27 AM
Then there are the people having a meltdown over people having a meltdown over VDW wearing #9.

Oldtimer
02-06-2018, 11:38 AM
Then there are the people having a meltdown over people having a meltdown over VDW wearing #9.

I guess he's a "false nine." :lol:

JuliquE
02-06-2018, 11:44 AM
I don't know why, but this signing has really made me happy for a number of reasons. Obviously because he's going to make the team better, but also because he just seems like a really nice guy who's had some shit luck the last few years and our amazing city is going to give him the chance to be happy again.

Like another example of the city spreading its arms to take in wayward souls.

(Sorry for the melodrama; I've been feeling super homesick lately so I guess I'm just projecting. But still ... happy!)
In the same boat, Bruder.

Shway
02-06-2018, 12:11 PM

He's been influenced by drake... "Turn the 6 upside down, it's a 9 now"

JuliquE
02-06-2018, 12:25 PM
He's been influenced by drake... "Turn the 6 upside down, it's a 9 now"
This guy… this is the guy. =D

Mike_S
02-07-2018, 10:26 AM

This is why I laugh out loud when I hear the hockey people cry about the Leafs players facing so much pressure from the media. They just don't know.

ensco
02-11-2018, 10:35 PM

For some reason I just remembered that Edson Buddle made the pitch at WC 2010. So he is another one.

James17930
02-13-2018, 09:16 AM
I just want to mention something that I think we should all remember as the season goes on:

He's about to have his first kid. As those of you with kids know, the first 8 - 12 months, you basically never fully sleep through the night. Especially in the first 4 - 6 months, you're up maybe 2 - 3 times per night tending to the baby, feeding it, maybe changing diapers etc. It's incredibly gruelling and taxing on your body and your mind (I have almost no memories from the first 8 months of my son's existence because my sleep was so messed up – my memories basically didn't form properly to stick around).

So, if he's going to be a hands-on father, we have to realize that all this lack-of-proper-sleep is highly likely to affect his play. Remember how Seba slumped a little bit for a while and people were questioning him, etc.? Well, it happened just after he had his second kid. I have no doubt that he wasn't sleeping properly and it was affecting his game. We have to know this could happen with vdW.

Now, of course it's possible that they'll have a nanny or a helper or something who will help Rose with the baby at night so he can sleep, but he seems like the type of guy who would want to get fully involved. If so, we're going to have to cut him some slack about it (unless he totally bombs out to the point where he's a liability, but I don't think it would get that bad).

Ponderosa
02-13-2018, 09:31 AM
I just want to mention something that I think we should all remember as the season goes on:

He's about to have his first kid. As those of you with kids know, the first 8 - 12 months, you basically never fully sleep through the night. Especially in the first 4 - 6 months, you're up maybe 2 - 3 times per night tending to the baby, feeding it, maybe changing diapers etc. It's incredibly gruelling and taxing on your body and your mind (I basically have no memories from the first 8 months of my son's existence because my sleep was so messed up – my memories basically didn't form properly to stick around).

So, if he's going to be a hands-on father, we have to realize that all this lack-of-proper-sleep is highly likely to affect his play. Remember how Seba slumped a little bit for a while and people were questioning him, etc.? Well, it happened just after he had his second kid. I have no doubt that he wasn't sleeping properly and it was affecting his game. We have to know this could happen with vdW.

Now, of course it's possible that they'll have a nanny or a helper or something who will help Rose with the baby at night so he can sleep, but he seems like the type of guy who would want to get fully involved. If so, we're going to have to cut him some slack about it (unless he totally bombs out to the point where he's a liability, but I don't think it would get that bad).

I love this! It is the most unexpected football analysis I have yet read on the boards! Much better than the usual technical mumbo-jumbo that completely goes over my head!

James17930
02-13-2018, 10:03 AM
I love this! It is the most unexpected football analysis I have yet read on the boards! Much better than the usual technical mumbo-jumbo that completely goes over my head!

Blame our internet-soaked lives, but I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not ...?

RealG-TFC
02-13-2018, 10:59 AM
Noticed that he shared he was back in Toronto, which I thought weird at first but I imagine it has to due with his wife. She must be due any day now.

Ponderosa
02-13-2018, 11:32 AM
Blame our internet-soaked lives, but I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not ...?

No sarcasm--- a genuine post I like and understood!

Auzzy
02-13-2018, 11:58 AM
Noticed that he shared he was back in Toronto, which I thought weird at first but I imagine it has to due with his wife. She must be due any day now.

Yes and a journalist mentioned that they also need to finalize living arrangements in Toronto. Another good thing to do before the baby arrives.

C.Ronaldo
02-13-2018, 03:08 PM
I'm impressed with how fit he has kept, but he seems the type

wonder why he got a hard time for his modeling.

I don't see Ronaldo's other ventures holding him back

molenshtain
02-13-2018, 06:51 PM
I don't see Ronaldo's other ventures holding him back

Too big to fail. Messi too. Both have committed literal crimes and have gotten off because of who they are.

Shway
02-13-2018, 07:07 PM
Too big to fail. Messi too. Both have committed literal crimes and have gotten off because of who they are.

Tax evasion....really? That's a petty crime that we all do. Next.

molenshtain
02-13-2018, 07:40 PM
Tax evasion....really? That's a petty crime that we all do. Next.

Tax fraud. It's different. I've gone years without paying taxes (which I then payed in back-taxes) because of the field of work I'm in. I've never hidden millions of dollars of income in offshore tax havens to defraud the state. That's a significantly more sinister crime. If everyone did that we'd all be living in a Banana republic.

He also payed multiple million dollar fines so him and his father could avoid their jail sentences. Not something the average citizen could pull off. Almost the definition of too big to fail.

James17930
02-13-2018, 07:55 PM

I actually think she's due next week, which made me think all along that he wouldn't be playing in the Colorado game. I would be surprised if he did.

molenshtain
02-13-2018, 08:16 PM
Wouldn't stress too much about the whole kid thing. Off the top of my head Moor, Mavinga, Vazquez, Seba, Bradley all had kids right before or after signing here. IIRC Moor even played the day after the birth of his son and brought him out on the pitch for the anthems.

From everything I've heard it sounds like the club is very accommodating to players personal lives - one of the significant changes brought in under this regime after whispers turned into yells about previous management being the polar opposite.

C.Ronaldo
02-14-2018, 09:54 AM

Ronaldo was convicted? (i havent followed it)

but back to off field ventures, they havent hurt their careers

molenshtain
02-14-2018, 10:06 AM
Ronaldo was convicted? (i havent followed it)

No, but the details laid out in the Der Speigel piece are damning in and of themselves.

Areathrasher
02-14-2018, 11:05 AM

A few players seem to have arrived back in Toronto prior to the rest of team.

Mavinga appears to have come back with VDW.
Akinola and Fraser came back early after leaving Mexico for the MLS rookie orientation in Arizona

RealG-TFC
02-14-2018, 07:45 PM
A few players seem to have arrived back in Toronto prior to the rest of team.

Mavinga appears to have come back with VDW.
Akinola and Fraser came back early after leaving Mexico for the MLS rookie orientation in Arizona

It's funny you mention that, saw them both at the Eaton Centre a few hours ago.

MightyDM
02-14-2018, 11:13 PM

Ryan Nelsen. Undefeated Captain of New Zealand. Aren’t many players in the world who have and undefeated World Cup legacy but NZ will have 15 or so. Not even Gregory can say that!

Ajax TFC
02-15-2018, 11:02 AM
Ryan Nelsen. Undefeated Captain of New Zealand. Aren’t many players in the world who have and undefeated World Cup legacy but NZ will have 15 or so. Not even Gregory can say that!
I'd like to think an extra time loss counts as a draw ;)

tfctillidie
02-18-2018, 07:22 PM
is Gregory on the CCL roster? i guess he stayed in TO since his wife is due at any moment

Blindside16
02-19-2018, 04:01 PM
is Gregory on the CCL roster? i guess he stayed in TO since his wife is due at any moment

He stayed as his wife is due just about any day now and Mavinga stayed as he is nursing a nagging injury. He said on twitter he should be ready for the 2nd leg

James17930
02-25-2018, 07:13 PM
Seems like the baby has been born already, so vdW will most likely be in the lineup on Tuesday.

molenshtain
02-25-2018, 07:36 PM
Are we all close followers of #babygate tonight? is that what we're doing. I guess. Sure, why not. Pre-season is for being dumb.

Red CB Toronto
02-25-2018, 07:47 PM
Folks - we have no business delving into what players do with the money they earn, just like players (or others) have no business in delving into what we do with ours.

But the talk about it publically in some cases and it does interest people. Gregory like a lot of us are looking to make money moves. Simple as that, improving their financial position.

James17930
02-25-2018, 08:36 PM
Are we all close followers of #babygate tonight? is that what we're doing. I guess. Sure, why not. Pre-season is for being dumb.

Since it will directly affect wether or not he'll play on Tuesday I think it's worth mentioning. I don't think anyone is going overboard with it.

molenshtain
02-25-2018, 10:28 PM
Since it will directly affect wether or not he'll play on Tuesday I think it's worth mentioning. I don't think anyone is going overboard with it.

I was making fun of the whole scenario. I don't really care whether he plays tomorrow or not.

James17930
02-25-2018, 11:29 PM
I was making fun of the whole scenario. I don't really care whether he plays tomorrow or not.

I see.

SoccMan2
02-27-2018, 09:47 AM
How does this guy not get much playing time at his last club Cagliari? Yesterday I saw my other team that I’m also crazy for Napoli demolish Cagliari 5-0 in Italy’s top league Serie A at Cagliari’s home stadium, Cagliari would not be a guaranteed top team if they played in the MLS from what I saw of them yesterday.