PDA

View Full Version : 2018 general TFC/MLS banter

Pages : 1 2 [3]

ag futbol
08-29-2018, 09:54 AM
https://twitter.com/tutulismyname/status/1034733984603889665

We are going to hear ignorant talk of Martinez having the best year in MLS ever.

Its not.
I work in banking and pretty much every player creates some flakey marketing materials stating they are #1 in whatever they are trying to sell. It is always littered with hilarious caveats.
“Number one advisor to food manufacturing companies in the Midwest, excluding Wisconsin, excluding the biggest deal that closed last year, including this thing that really shouldn’t count but we will count for our benefit”

Have to say this measure of looking at offensive potency feels remarkably similar.

OgtheDim
08-29-2018, 11:45 AM
You guys kill me, yes we are TFC fans but Martinez is having a great season and just broke the scoring record and yes probably having and will be considered as having the best season ever yes better than Giovinco wow eh !#

Martinez is great & fun to watch.

&

Seba's year was statistically better then Martinez this season.

More importantly, Zlatan is having the best year ever. G+Assists per 90 is the measure of scoring effectiveness. Not just goals.

tfcfans
08-29-2018, 02:56 PM
You guys kill me, yes we are TFC fans but Martinez is having a great season and just broke the scoring record and yes probably having and will be considered as having the best season ever yes better than Giovinco wow eh ! This guy is scoring for fun , and Atlanta is on course to break TFC’s points record and if they win the MLS Cup will probably be considered the greatest team ever, and don’t bring up the Canadian Championship no comparison to the US open Cup where there is a shitload of teams and all of the MLS teams to also beat not a tournament featuring just 2 MLS teams to beat plus 3 non MLS teams ,it’s so much easier winning the Canada Cup apples and oranges comparison. If Atlanta gets more points, wins MLS Cup and goes to the final of CCL then for me they will have outdone last seasons TFC and in their second year not in their 10th. and without putting their fans through 8 years of utter garbage. This is sports records are meant to be broken suck it up people and a akknowledge, but the season is not over Atlanta might still not achieve anything let’s see.

Yes, records are made to be broken, and if Atlanta gets 70 points and wins the MLS Cup then good for them, all due credit is theirs - it will not diminish my enjoyment of last year one bit --- but my point was that the US Open Cup for an MLS team is 5 games in total (the first three rounds have nothing to do with them winning, just like Oakville and Blainville having nothing to do with us winning either) --- their first game was when Atlanta played a USL team (Charleston), so to win that trophy it was potentially 4 games against MLS competition (and 5 games total); we played only two and two (USL/MLS) which I acknowledge is easier --- however Atlanta didn't even win a single game against an MLS team in that competition and they lost in their next game at home to an inferior Chicago team (and as a result they played two less games, which taxes their players less overall too etc.) - that's clearly achieving less than TFC did last year in terms of their domestic tournament (maybe if they beat a USL team and beat two MLS teams and lost in the Semis of the US Open Cup I would say that was at least "comparable" to what TFC had done domestically)....when they go into CCL and play 8 extra games next season (risking injuries, exhaustion etc.), many of which against Mexican opposition (the most difficult in the region), then we will see if they are an "all-time" team......until then, it's a lot of talk and blowing "smoke up their...."

As for the doing it in their second year and not their tenth - I give their front office loads of credit for building a great team right away and not subjecting their fans to the crap we saw for a decade - my gripe is that the fans in these "winning/expansion" cities - like the Vegas Golden Knights etc. have been blessed with new teams and new stadiums and immediate success (I was happy that Ovie and the Caps won (and not LV in Year One) after all they had been through and I'm not a Caps fan) -- that is really not that tough to be a fan in such a situation; show me a group of fans who have gone through the ups and downs and not had a "shiny" new stadium, or a contender every year, and if they can keep supporting their team through the crap and still come back on the other side then I will give them their due as this "awesome fan base" of (soccer) supporters --- I've seen lots of "awesome fan bases" pack up and leave as soon as things weren't so good (or new) anymore --- see the Jays fans selling out the "new" Dome with a winning team from 1989-1993, and then see what happened afterwards for about 20 years when the team and the stadium weren't so "fun" anymore....see what happened when the Jays were winning again in 2015-2016, and by 2018 how 1 million of those fans are gone again once one year of crap happened in 2017.....as much as I love TFC, I will also acknowledge that we will lose attendance numbers too next season if this season ends poorly, the "bandwagon" will empty a bit here too just as it has for the Jays this year, and if Atlanta FC and the LV Golden Knights of the world have five losing seasons in a row, please let me know what their attendance and "awesome fan base" looks like then......cheering for a winner is easy, it's much tougher to stick it out through the bad times too, it's what made winning so much sweeter for those of us who had been around since 2007 (and suffered for most of that time - ha ha ha) rather than "welcome to the league - here is your title in year 2, isn't winning championships super easy and fun"......ha ha ha.......

ag futbol
08-29-2018, 03:41 PM
Martinez is great & fun to watch.

&

Seba's year was statistically better then Martinez this season.

More importantly, Zlatan is having the best year ever. G+Assists per 90 is the measure of scoring effectiveness. Not just goals.
I get the argument you are trying to make but determining who had the best season ever is not going to be clearly articulated by that sort of singular, modified stat. Did he win the majority of his penalties? Were the assists granted to other players real game breakers or classic MLS stat padders? Is Martinez or any other player simply taking balls on a platter form a more prolific playmaker? What percentage of games did these players score or assist in? Were strong performances generally against weaker opposition? Did the player disappear in big games?

I don’t quite believe it’s the best season in history but nonetheless...

annie
08-30-2018, 04:31 PM
Hi

Just got this alert from GO Transit - for anyone using the GO Train the last few home matches of the season just got complicated: weekends beginning September 8th until early December Go Trains will be bypassing Exhibition and will only be running hourly on Lakeshore West.

Lakeshore West GO passengers - For nine weekends this fall, there will be several service adjustments on the line while we take portions of track out of service and restore six century-old bridges. Weekend trains will only run hourly, bypassing Mimico and Exhibition in Union Station.
The scheduled weekends are:
September 8-9, 16-17, 22-23, 29-30
October 13-14, 20-21, 27-28
November 24-25
December 1-2

If you're travelling westbound:
- all trains leaving Union Station will only operate at 43 minutes past the hour, and the 6:43 train will be the first train of the day;
- trains that would normally leave Union Station at 13 minutes past the hour are cancelled, all day Saturday and Sunday.

If you're travelling eastbound:
-all trains leaving Aldershot GO will only operate at one minutes past the hour, and the 7:01 train will be the first train of the day;
-trains that normally leave Aldershot at 31 minutes past the hour will not operate all day Saturday and Sunday with the exception of the 11:31 pm train departing Aldershot

Please expect delays of about 15 minutes as the trains detour on the Milton line after they depart Long Branch GO.

paul-collins
08-30-2018, 09:15 PM
Lakeshore West GO passengers - For nine weekends this fall, there will be several service adjustments on the line while we take portions of track out of service and restore six century-old bridges. Weekend trains will only run hourly, bypassing Mimico and Exhibition in Union Station.
The scheduled weekends are:
September 8-9, 16-17, 22-23, 29-30
October 13-14, 20-21, 27-28
November 24-25
December 1-2

Hm

The weekend starts on the 15th not the 16th (Game is on the 15th vs LAG)
They skip Thanksgiving weekend (game Oct 6 vs Vancouver)
The other game that is directly impacted is Sept 29 vs NER.

Sounds like they're shutting the corridor right down on those days and sending the trains on the CP tracks to the Junction and over to Kipling station and then south again to LSW.

Oldtimer
08-30-2018, 09:42 PM
I wonder if they will still add an extra train after TFC games? If so, it won't be as bad.

Blindside16
08-31-2018, 01:29 AM
Hm

The weekend starts on the 15th not the 16th (Game is on the 15th vs LAG)
They skip Thanksgiving weekend (game Oct 6 vs Vancouver)
The other game that is directly impacted is Sept 29 vs NER.

Sounds like they're shutting the corridor right down on those days and sending the trains on the CP tracks to the Junction and over to Kipling station and then south again to LSW.

The Atlanta game on Oct 28th will also be impacted

annie
08-31-2018, 06:36 AM
they're not - all trains are bypassing exhibition while they work on refurbishing some bridges

paul-collins
08-31-2018, 07:42 AM
The Atlanta game on Oct 28th will also be impacted
Oh yeah missed the Sunday

paul-collins
08-31-2018, 07:45 AM
I wonder if they will still add an extra train after TFC games? If so, it won't be as bad. The tracks will be out of commission. It's not that the trains are running past the stop but not stopping, it's that no trains are running on that stretch of track at all over the weekends.

I suppose GO could consider running something from Exhibition to Union only... Depends on which bridges are actually out of service / being reconstructed.

wopchop
08-31-2018, 02:59 PM
The tracks will be out of commission. It's not that the trains are running past the stop but not stopping, it's that no trains are running on that stretch of track at all over the weekends.

I suppose GO could consider running something from Exhibition to Union only... Depends on which bridges are actually out of service / being reconstructed.
I believe the plan includes an exhibition to union shuttle. The bridge replacements are all west of Exhibition and east of Long Branch.

The Lakeshore West trains will be using the old Canpa sub, heading north up to the Junction and then coming downtown via the Weston sub.

OgtheDim
08-31-2018, 03:51 PM
An explainer

Special train service will operate between Union Station and Exhibition GO while our Lakeshore West trains detour around the bridge work.

If you’re travelling to Exhibition from the east:

Stay on the Lakeshore East train, as it will continue on to Exhibition after passing Union Station.

If you’re travelling to Exhibition from the west:

Continue on the Lakeshore West train to Union Station, then board the Lakeshore East train, which will continue on to Exhibition.

If you are travelling eastbound from Exhibition:

Take the train from Exhibition GO, and it will continue past Union Station along the Lakeshore East line.

If you are travelling westbound from Exhibition:

Take the eastbound train at Exhibition to Union Station. At Union Station, transfer to the Lakeshore West train.

i.e. Trains from Lakeshore East will continue past Union to Exhibition stadium then go back to Union & out along Lakeshore East. If your coming from the West, go to Union then catch a Lakeshore East.

notthesun
09-03-2018, 12:16 PM
Delgado has been called up to the USMNT.

edit: Liam Fraser called up to Canada, replacing Jay Chapman (injured apparently).

paul-collins
09-03-2018, 02:40 PM
Thanks Og.

Bantamfan
09-03-2018, 05:49 PM
An explainer

i.e. Trains from Lakeshore East will continue past Union to Exhibition stadium then go back to Union & out along Lakeshore East. If your coming from the West, go to Union then catch a Lakeshore East.
So after the game everyone who is taking the go train will all be on the east platform.
That could result in a little overcrowding,will it not?

sidvan
09-04-2018, 10:27 AM
So after the game everyone who is taking the go train will all be on the east platform.
That could result in a little overcrowding,will it not?

Oh no issue as long as "Stay behind the double Yellow platform lines" :facepalm:

Blindside16
09-05-2018, 03:46 AM
Oh no issue as long as "Stay behind the double Yellow platform lines" :facepalm:

I am actually planning on driving down to the remaining games as I think that will be less of a gong show than the GO

OgtheDim
09-05-2018, 06:08 AM
https://twitter.com/intermiamicf/status/1037267438172364800

Name confirmed

Crest confirmed

PINK confirmed

DinamoTFC
09-05-2018, 07:54 AM
Great badge and name. Well done. I still remember when we were almost called inter toronto

Brooker
09-05-2018, 10:31 AM
No wonder people think our league is a joke. What an embarrassing name.

Not that I care what other people think, mind you.... but I get it.

ensco
09-05-2018, 10:34 AM
The MMXX handle is a bad idea. They don’t play in Liga MX.

woolly
09-05-2018, 11:25 AM

You realize that's 2020..the year that they will start in MLS, right?

backbeat
09-05-2018, 11:26 AM

i took it as the year they are starting MLS play MMXX = 2020 - no?

OgtheDim
09-05-2018, 11:57 AM
The Internacional is a team in Brazil - which is a bit weird given Miami is a hub of Latino culture.

DinamoTFC
09-05-2018, 01:27 PM
The Internacional is a team in Brazil - which is a bit weird given Miami is a hub of Latino culture.

It simply means international. Seeing as Miami is and is seen as very international it makes sense for the Hispanic connection. I don't think they were really focusing on the team in Brazil.

ensco
09-05-2018, 03:44 PM
i took it as the year they are starting MLS play MMXX = 2020 - no?

I took 4 years of Latin in high school, I know.

But most people won't know.

Richard
09-05-2018, 05:12 PM
I'm confused. Are we still going by soccer, Fútbol, Football or what?

So many teams with FC in the name its time to call it MLF. Major League Football.

Since you know every team is shunning the word soccer nowadays and trying to look all cool being non North American.

Embrace the word Soccer or remove it.

ag futbol
09-05-2018, 05:36 PM

So many teams with FC in the name its time to call it MLF. Major League Football
But this fails to capture the fact both Canada and the US are in the league. And it is more than a national national sport, it’s an international one (unlike the NFL).

Major International League Football. That should do it.

Auzzy
09-05-2018, 05:37 PM

So many teams with FC in the name its time to call it MLF. Major League Football.

Since you know every team is shunning the word soccer nowadays and trying to look all cool being non North American.

And since it's an international league (US & Canada), we should have that in there as well. Major International League Football. :D

EDIT FFS Really ag, was that necessary? I was just too damn slow. Sick minds think alike. :D

SoccMan2
09-05-2018, 06:47 PM
No wonder people think our league is a joke. What an embarrassing name.

Not that I care what other people think, mind you.... but I get it.
Oh my God people think our league is a joke , I keep hearing this about this league being a joke , but you know what I can also list a whole lot of things that make the NHL a joke or the NFL or MLB or the NBA or the EPL , if you really get picky every league in every sport has things that can make people see it as a joke , the MLS does not hold exclusive rights to being a league that’s considered a joke!

benito
09-05-2018, 08:05 PM
The colours remind me of Palermo and they could have very distinct kits. Look forward to seeing more.

ag futbol
09-05-2018, 08:17 PM
And since it's an international league (US & Canada), we should have that in there as well. Major International League Football. :D

EDIT FFS Really ag, was that necessary? I was just too damn slow. Sick minds think alike. :D
Well played sir, well played!

Richard
09-05-2018, 09:17 PM
Haha. g:D

spe18
09-05-2018, 10:30 PM

It appears there's already a proposed league to be called "Major League Football" :)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Major_League_Football

Richard
09-05-2018, 10:43 PM
By the way I'm being half serious. Just find it amusing haha.

Brooker
09-05-2018, 11:42 PM
Oh my God people think our league is a joke , I keep hearing this about this league being a joke , but you know what I can also list a whole lot of things that make the NHL a joke or the NFL or MLB or the NBA or the EPL , if you really get picky every league in every sport has things that can make people see it as a joke , the MLS does not hold exclusive rights to being a league that’s considered a joke!

Oops struck a nerve. My post wasnt that serious.

Well like i said, I dont care what people think of our league. Nobody should.

But the name is ridiculous. Add them to the pile. Real Salt Lake, Sporting Kansas City.. Etc.

And dont call it The MLS. Cmon lol.

burlington Red
09-07-2018, 07:11 AM
Name is what is it is, there are worse already in the league. But what a wonderful away trip this makes once they enter.Love Miami, such a great place

C.Ronaldo
09-07-2018, 01:04 PM
Really? i and most people i know find it to be seriously overrated, overpriced, service is generally bad, and people generally rude

burlington Red
09-07-2018, 01:41 PM
Really? i and most people i know find it to be seriously overrated, overpriced, service is generally bad, and people generally rude

overpriced, I'll give you that, can't say I'd agree with anything else you say, personally for me I love the place. The beach, the nightlife, place is hopping with beautiful women. Bad service should be the least of your concerns.

Prof
09-09-2018, 07:44 AM

https://image.shutterstock.com/image-vector/likethumbs-symbol-icon-beer-bottle-260nw-113176087.jpg

rydermike
09-09-2018, 03:15 PM
Osorio just scored a header in the 6th minute for Canada against US Virgin Islands.

Canada playing a 2-5-3 formation. Yes, 2 defenders lol

Greatest Ripoff
09-10-2018, 07:06 AM
Osorio just scored a header in the 6th minute for Canada against US Virgin Islands.

Canada playing a 2-5-3 formation. Yes, 2 defenders lol

He might have also had a second but unfortunately there isn’t conclusive video evidence. Would have been a lovely goal. He looked very good for the whole match, although the opposition was very weak.

OgtheDim
09-12-2018, 03:04 PM
Interesting chart on passes by TFC. 0 is straight ahead

Sorry about the size.

https://i.imgur.com/IPCNpFK.png

portu
09-12-2018, 04:23 PM
Interesting chart on passes by TFC. 0 is straight ahead

Sorry about the size.

https://i.imgur.com/IPCNpFK.png

Great chart thanks for sharing

OgtheDim
09-12-2018, 04:40 PM
Bradley's pic is interesting - I know he lies back dead centre but he's equidistant and almost equal in frequency to all over what's in front of him for over 1K of passes. That is...impressive.

Then look at Seba, with a couple of to the right differences and slightly shorter distances, he's almost the same in distribution spread.

That's our spine right there.

Gringo Starr
09-12-2018, 11:41 PM
I'm surprised that hagglund's chart is so similar to Moor's, though it would be more east west like Zav's. Based on the chart you'd think Agar would have had more of am impact.

Still Kicking
09-13-2018, 09:57 AM
Am I missing something on these passing charts?
Are they charting passes completed or passes attempted?
I also wonder about the term "normalized".

OgtheDim
09-13-2018, 10:14 AM
The colour tells you the average distance when done that angle. The length tells you the % completed where the outer ring is 100%.

OgtheDim
09-17-2018, 03:11 PM
FWIW, San Jose finally fired their twerp of a head coach.

Initial B
09-18-2018, 11:39 AM
^ Was he really that bad? How much can be laid at the feet of their Head Office or owner?

OgtheDim
09-18-2018, 11:50 AM
Oh, their head office is crap.

But, their coach pulled this stunt

https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2018/07/14/san-joses-anibal-godoy-fatai-alashe-have-strong-reactions-being-subbed

Richard
09-18-2018, 06:20 PM
What a prick.

Tunnelred
09-21-2018, 12:25 PM
Just saw on twitter/reddit about the league discussing the 3rd DP spot. Possibly getting rid of it all together, or putting a cap on how much can be spent on said DP.

Tweet: https://twitter.com/samstejskal/status/1043179474831859712?s=21

For a League who seems determined to match/be better than Liga MX, this would seem like a backwards move.

Areathrasher
09-21-2018, 12:28 PM
Joke league

Richard
09-21-2018, 12:49 PM
Just get rid of all of it and give each team a 35M budget.

No GAM/TAM/SPAM/DP bullshit.

Blindside16
09-24-2018, 04:25 AM

THIS!!! If the league ever really wants to be taken serious as a potential top flight league in the world, they must do something with the salary cap. High end talent costs money and for what the league is letting teams pay out, it simply does not cut it.

backbeat
09-24-2018, 09:15 AM

......keep the 3 DP's and give each team an additional 35M budget.....

Gringo Starr
09-25-2018, 12:27 PM
Robbo out at Vancouver

noimpactinmtl
09-25-2018, 12:28 PM
Carl Robinson is out. (https://www.whitecapsfc.com/post/2018/09/25/vancouver-whitecaps-fc-release-head-coach-carl-robinson)

OgtheDim
09-25-2018, 12:49 PM
I think the downfall started here

https://i.imgur.com/4rxj2Og.jpg

ensco
09-25-2018, 12:58 PM
No downfall. Vancouver are a cheapskate outfit, he got a ton of success out of that payroll, and developed Davies.

I wish Robbo were the CMNT coach.

Hamilton_Red
09-25-2018, 01:03 PM
Robinson did pretty well with an $8.2 Million budget 31% of TFC's budget. I don't understand why he punted Ousted & then brought in Shea and Jaurez who are both pretty useless. He's developed Davies well.

For TFC I don't understand how we can sustain a $26 Million salary budget vs the rest of the league - not for this season's level of performance. Imagine how empty the stands will be if we went back to an average $11-$12 Million budget? Look at NYRB and Columbus at $7.7 and $6.9 Million...consistently competitive.

ag futbol
09-25-2018, 01:45 PM
No downfall. Vancouver are a cheapskate outfit, he got a ton of success out of that payroll, and developed Davies.

I wish Robbo were the CMNT coach.
Please no. This guy is a one dimensional manager. Everything is about speed and counterattacking. Zero tactical tactical adjustments, constant griping when his stable of dirty players were carded or sent off. He thinks about the midfield of a team like someone who is stuck in the 80s. He probably wouldn’t understand the concept of a victor Vasquez because he doesn’t run really fast or foul people a lot.

Davies handling was good in terms of not throwing a young boy to the wolves (see Henry, Doniel) but in terms of on field assignments was farsical. Should a once in a generation talent commanding a record fee be playing LB with Brek Shea playing in front of him in the midfield? That defies common sense and happened on plenty of occasions this year. One of many oddities.

He’s been rightfully given the boot.

ensco
09-25-2018, 04:49 PM
I am just looking at Twitter reaction.

You will never ever see a bigger range of opinions about a manager.

To the extent there's a consensus, it's that Vancouver haven’t developed talent the way Dallas and NYRB have (which seems to me to be a valid criticism of most of the FOs in the league)

OgtheDim
09-25-2018, 04:58 PM
Please no. This guy is a one dimensional manager. Everything is about speed and counterattacking. Zero tactical tactical adjustments, constant griping when his stable of dirty players were carded or sent off. He thinks about the midfield of a team like someone who is stuck in the 80s. He probably wouldn’t understand the concept of a victor Vasquez because he doesn’t run really fast or foul people a lot.

To me, everything you need to know about Robinson the manager can be found in one thing he did as a player.

Not once...not ONCE did he take time over a freekick. He HAD to play it quickly, every single damn time. No regard for where the ball was, no regard for the game state, no regard for where players were.

magmadragon
09-25-2018, 05:06 PM

Davies handling was good in terms of not throwing a young boy to the wolves (see Henry, Doniel) but in terms of on field assignments was farsical. Should a once in a generation talent commanding a record fee be playing LB with Brek Shea playing in front of him in the midfield? That defies common sense and happened on plenty of occasions this year. One of many oddities.

He’s been rightfully given the boot.

Hear hear

Auzzy
09-25-2018, 05:11 PM
Robinson did pretty well with an $8.2 Million budget 31% of TFC's budget. I don't understand why he punted Ousted & then brought in Shea and Jaurez who are both pretty useless. He's developed Davies well.

For TFC I don't understand how we can sustain a $26 Million salary budget vs the rest of the league - not for this season's level of performance. Imagine how empty the stands will be if we went back to an average $11-$12 Million budget? Look at NYRB and Columbus at $7.7 and $6.9 Million...consistently competitive.

Definitely some odd personnel decisions over the years at Vancouver. Not sure how many of those were decided by Robbo alone.

"Imagine how empty the stands will be if we went back to an average $11-$12 Million budget?" Not sure how much those different things have to do with each other. TFC's high budget is mostly related to our 3 DPs, and 3 players can only do so much on a footy team. Plus other teams find DPs (and an overall roster) that provide more performance per $. That's a question that TFC FO has to consider as a bunch of TFC contracts expire next year, and players age. Surely TFC could get better performance over time with a lower DP budget if they're careful. Will that get more people in the stands? If they win, probably yes.

Or some teams (e.g. Galaxy) pick their DPs specifically to get bums in seats.

NYRB's performance is great, especially for their budget, but I often see their stands pretty empty, especially if you consider the population in the NY area. I think that has more to do with the location of their stadium; competition from the more conveniently-located NYCFC for the casual footy fan; competition of a million things to do in NY & area; and perhaps their FO isn't too great at selling tickets & building loyalty. BTW perhaps a marquee DP would drive up their salary budget, but help them to sell tickets?

Redcoe15
09-25-2018, 09:13 PM
NYRB's performance is great, especially for their budget, but I often see their stands pretty empty, especially if you consider the population in the NY area. I think that has more to do with the location of their stadium; competition from the more conveniently-located NYCFC for the casual footy fan; competition of a million things to do in NY & area; and perhaps their FO isn't too great at selling tickets & building loyalty. BTW perhaps a marquee DP would drive up their salary budget, but help them to sell tickets?

Not to mention the team is literally a billboard for a piss flavoured energy drink, which instantly turned off a great deal of MetroStar supporters.

Gringo Starr
09-25-2018, 09:24 PM
Great stadium and competitive team-I could live with red bull sponsorship unless they sponsored the clubs biggest rival as well

ag futbol
09-26-2018, 04:29 AM
To me, everything you need to know about Robinson the manager can be found in one thing he did as a player.

Not once...not ONCE did he take time over a freekick. He HAD to play it quickly, every single damn time. No regard for where the ball was, no regard for the game state, no regard for where players were.
Yes, I remember Carl “hospital ball” Robinson quite well. Apparently the quality of the decision relates entirely to the speed at which you make it.

Notwithstanding all this, he’s really only half the whitecaps problem. If Lenarduzzi isn’t fired as well (sounds like he’s safe) they’ll continue to circle in the drain. He’s like their own Mo Johnston.

I’m always shocked at how slow some of these ownership groups are to identify their own problems.

Ultra & Proud
09-26-2018, 09:27 AM
So it looks like Tata Martino to El Tri.

Interesting. Probably means the fall of the league's darlings though.

Ultra & Proud
09-26-2018, 09:28 AM
I wouldn't be surprised if Robinson ended up in San Jose. He seems like the kind of dinosaur manager they usually choose down there. He is probably better than their recent choices though but still.

ag futbol
09-26-2018, 10:44 AM
OT but Tabla just committed to playing for Canada. Have things looked this good, ever?

Now we just need a god damn defender or two.

backbeat
09-26-2018, 11:44 AM
OT but Tabla just committed to playing for Canada. Have things looked this good, ever?

Now we just need a god damn defender or two.

Really? That's great!

Gringo Starr
09-26-2018, 01:20 PM
Great time to be a Canadian footy fan, CPL and guys choosing to play for the CMNT

Yohan
09-26-2018, 07:42 PM
https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2018/09/26/journeyman-chad-barrett-announces-retirement-after-13-year-mls-career

Chad Barrett retires

Redcoe15
09-26-2018, 08:15 PM
Happy Trails, Chad Fucking Barrett. :wink5:

Oldtimer
09-27-2018, 07:06 AM
So it looks like Tata Martino to El Tri.

Interesting. Probably means the fall of the league's darlings though.

They blew their allocation money as a new team to "win now." Let's see how well they do when they start having to shed players. He made a smart career move there, leave with an excellent record to a more prestigious posting.

Oldtimer
09-27-2018, 07:24 AM
Lenarduzzi interview on firing Robbo. One playoff win in 8 seasons.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/whitecaps-president-robinson-firing-time-move/sn-amp/?__twitter_impression=true

JT Red127
09-27-2018, 07:55 AM
Checked out the TFC II match last night at Lamport. Good to see some of the unknown to me younger kids and what they can do, also seeing guys like Bakero and Fraser play. Would be great if more people attended the matches, its free for SSH's for one and the atmosphere could be pretty cool with few more people in there. One more match left at Lamport this year, next Friday 8pm. Better time than last nights 6pm kick-off, get out and support. :flare::scarf:

Auzzy
09-27-2018, 10:37 AM
Checked out the TFC II match last night at Lamport. Good to see some of the unknown to me younger kids and what they can do, also seeing guys like Bakero and Fraser play. Would be great if more people attended the matches, its free for SSH's for one and the atmosphere could be pretty cool with few more people in there. One more match left at Lamport this year, next Friday 8pm. Better time than last nights 6pm kick-off, get out and support.

As a TFC season ticket holder, do you know how we can get our hands on free tickets for the TFC II game?

JT Red127
09-27-2018, 10:39 AM
As a TFC season ticket holder, do you know how we can get our hands on free tickets for the TFC II game?

They email you a code, you just put that into Ticketmaster and get your tickets. Not the best system. Hopefully next year they just make them available in everyone's account manager. Maybe ask your rep for a code if you havent received one.

ag futbol
09-27-2018, 11:33 AM

https://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/whitecaps-president-robinson-firing-time-move/sn-amp/?__twitter_impression=true
I didn’t have a chance to listen but supposedly they really threw Bob in the fire (deservedly so).

portu
09-27-2018, 01:10 PM

jesus really went after the guy - refreshing to see

Initial B
09-27-2018, 01:33 PM
^ I found it interesting how he deflected from the question that basically asked why he was still employed by the team. Apparently, many of these questions came from the fans through twitter that the host read on air for Bob to answer. He didn't exactly give comforting answers.

portu
09-27-2018, 07:43 PM
^ I found it interesting how he deflected from the question that basically asked why he was still employed by the team. Apparently, many of these questions came from the fans through twitter that the host read on air for Bob to answer. He didn't exactly give comforting answers.
Was clearly not ready to defend his actions. Shocking given his role in the club and what he'd just (jointly) pulled off in his position.

Also his defense for not spending was shitty at best.

Prof
09-28-2018, 08:39 AM
Checked out the TFC II match last night at Lamport. Good to see some of the unknown to me younger kids and what they can do, also seeing guys like Bakero and Fraser play. Would be great if more people attended the matches, its free for SSH's for one and the atmosphere could be pretty cool with few more people in there. One more match left at Lamport this year, next Friday 8pm. Better time than last nights 6pm kick-off, get out and support. :flare::scarf:

I also saw my first TFC II game. I agree more people should take advantage of this freebie. A few players stood out for me to potentially move up, no one more than Ayo Akinola (https://www.torontofc.ca/players/ayo-akinola) he is a beast and reminds me of a young Jozy. Bakero is lazy, shows some skill but much of the time is floating. Endoh is the most skilled in tight situations but his size is a detriment. Fraser gives delightful long balls ala Bradley. Young Mohammed looked fiesty. I thought we outplayed Ottawa but had a very cheap penalty given. 3 cheers to Rocket Robin who has to be Toronto's greatest soccer supporter.:drinking:

ag futbol
09-28-2018, 09:20 AM
Was clearly not ready to defend his actions. Shocking given his role in the club and what he'd just (jointly) pulled off in his position.

Also his defense for not spending was shitty at best.
I think somebody’s synopsis of Lenarduzzi’s explanation on Twitter was rather on point. Basically: we fired Robbo because one playoff win in x seasons, what we want to see is a scrappy team that fights to make the playoffs, we will use Davies money for a coach and some similar priced players to what we have in the past. I had visions of Mo Johnston talking about just needing one defender, one midfielder, and one striker to start the season, lol.

I don’t think 8 million in payroll is terrible. But how is the new approach with the new coach different than the last ones? Bob is a snake oil salesman (albeit a poor one) living on his past reputation.

Still Kicking
09-28-2018, 11:27 AM
I suppose this should be filed under banter.
The Ford govt of Ontario is going to allow the smoking of weed anywhere it is legal to smoke tobacco.

Am I the only one that thinks this is insane in a soccer setting? If I tell my friends to meet me two hours before game time in our favourite parking lot, and I will bbq some sausages and have a cooler of brew so we can all have a pregame beer, we can expect a ticket from the constabulary!
However if I gather the same friends in the same parking lot and we smoke the herbal joints, no problem?

What gives? What sense does this make? I know we should refrain from the political, all for one, but this is beyond dumb imho...

Chubbs
09-28-2018, 01:21 PM
People are already doing both of those things without issue from anyone. Go to the smoking area at Gate 1 at halftime, no shortage of joints being smoked, and that's technically inside the stadium (no scanning tickets to get out there). No one cares.

OgtheDim
09-28-2018, 01:29 PM
Extreme Seba Voice

BMO field is a

toke free

facility

Redcoe15
09-28-2018, 02:29 PM
Extreme Seba Voice

BMO field is a

toke free

facility

Worst. Haiku. Ever. g:D

magmadragon
09-28-2018, 03:31 PM
With any luck they eventually loosen our puritanical drinking laws and make it more like Europe. I remember walking down the street having a beer in Germany. It was glorious.

Oldtimer
10-02-2018, 11:00 AM
Tampa Bay Rowdies (USL) have been purchased by the Major League Baseball team the Tampa Bay Rays, the Rowdies have been seeking an MLS franchise.

http://www.baynews9.com/fl/tampa/news/2018/10/02/rays-announce-details-of-purchase-of-rowdies

https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2017/05/02/mls-releases-statement-after-st-petersburg-votes-soccer-stadium

OgtheDim
10-02-2018, 01:11 PM
$17 million buy out clause, you say?

No problem - we got Home Depot $.

https://twitter.com/JogaBonito_USA/status/1047177602396577792

TFC Tifoso
10-02-2018, 02:12 PM
I suppose this should be filed under banter.
The Ford govt of Ontario is going to allow the smoking of weed anywhere it is legal to smoke tobacco.

Am I the only one that thinks this is insane in a soccer setting? If I tell my friends to meet me two hours before game time in our favourite parking lot, and I will bbq some sausages and have a cooler of brew so we can all have a pregame beer, we can expect a ticket from the constabulary!
However if I gather the same friends in the same parking lot and we smoke the herbal joints, no problem?

What gives? What sense does this make? I know we should refrain from the political, all for one, but this is beyond dumb imho...

yeah, its pretty unheard of, but the issue is how do you police it?
Drinking in public is pretty obvious if you're drinking straight from the bottle, but a joint and cigarette look quite the same unless it is right in front of your face.
You could get away with drinking too, so long as its in a coffee cup, thermos, basically anything other than its original bottle.
They don't want to nab you for drinking either unless you really give a them a reason to (ie. being too open with it).

Besides, as someone said, not like its not already happening at BMO.....

OgtheDim
10-08-2018, 03:57 PM
SJE just got serous.

Ex Chivas manager (guy who beat us)

ensco
10-08-2018, 04:43 PM
SJE just got serous.

Ex Chivas manager (guy who beat us)

Almeyda got a good look at Seattle, NYRB and TFC this spring. He is not coming in cold.

anto7
10-08-2018, 05:29 PM
Maybe it’s time we resigned Nick lol

Nick Soolsma is the 7th player to score a hat trick in the Connaught Series / Challenge Trophy final (the first since Mark Slade in 2007) & just the 3rd player to score 4⃣ goals in the final match (along with Jock Coulter in 1928 and John Schepers in 1962). #Saskatoon2018

Oldtimer
10-09-2018, 03:04 PM
Some potential owners step up for St Louis, willing to pay the full cost of a stadium themselves.

https://www.stltoday.com/business/local/soccer-gets-another-shot-in-st-louis-as-family-that/article_f77a29a7-9a97-577e-84ea-92107ace964c.html

Redcoe15
10-09-2018, 04:12 PM
Some potential owners step up for St Louis, willing to pay the full cost of a stadium themselves.

https://www.stltoday.com/business/local/soccer-gets-another-shot-in-st-louis-as-family-that/article_f77a29a7-9a97-577e-84ea-92107ace964c.html

Let's hope this is true, and not wishful thinking. St. Louis has long been a hotbed for soccer in the United States. Not having an MLS team there is simply unacceptable.

10-10-2018, 11:59 AM
some speculation - Mexico, US, Canada could form combined league after 2026 World Cup

http://www.espn.com/soccer/united-states/story/3665748/united-states-canada-mexico-could-form-combined-league-after-2026-world-cup

Initial B
10-10-2018, 12:35 PM
Now that would be interesting - it could lead to a precursor of Pro-Rel in MLS. If for the first season, they add 6 MLS clubs, 6 Liga MX clubs, and 6 clubs from the rest of CONCACAF, they could have an 18-club, 34 game season. The bottom three teams could be relegated to their respective national leagues and the top team from Liga MX, MLS, and a CONCACAF Club Playoff. Eventually the quality would trickle down after about 5 years to ensure the strongest teams in the region are in the league. They could also set a Salary Cap at about $60 million USD for clubs in the top tier to ensure parity in the league.

TFC1154ever
10-10-2018, 01:01 PM
If you think 10-15 clubs in the MLS will all be ok with, and agree with going to division 2, after spend hundreds of millions of dollars on stadiums and expansion fees, I personally think you’re dreaming.

The only way this would work, 18 teams from Mexico, 28 from MLS equals 46. Split into 4 conference of (2 of 11, 2 of 12) play home and away against your own conference, and 1 match against every team in another conference (switches every year). That should get you too around 32-33 game season. Take the best 4 from each division (could even have a play in game between 4 and 5) and play home and away series until the final.

My personal opinion is that this will be to complicated to figure out, and to many federations to deal with.

Areathrasher
10-10-2018, 02:42 PM
The North American Super League?

ensco
10-10-2018, 03:41 PM
I have speculated about this before. There are about 8-10 clubs in MLS that have ambition, probably a similar number in Mexico (less sure on that one). I think the clubs in Mexico City, for instance, would probably be more interested in incremental games against teams from NY and LA that had $50M payrolls and international stars, than they would, say, Lobos or Queretaro.

OgtheDim
10-10-2018, 04:59 PM
Right now MLS is an NFL clone for governance. That's why the most influential owners are still Kraft and the people running the Dynamo.

Would take a change of that governance structure for a North American league to happen.

ensco
10-10-2018, 05:24 PM
I think we are going to come into an era of total chaos with all these leagues/sports structures that were built in utterly different commercial worlds. So many of these league rules, from the draft to territorial rights, violate laws and basic rules of fairness.

I think baseball is probably the one most likely to blow first, it has the biggest dispersion of haves and have nots - half the teams aren’t even trying anymore.

I still wish Balsillie had gone after the NHL when he wanted to buy the Predators and move them to Hamilton- I believe he would have won.

I could write 8 paragraphs about this....

Hamilton_Red
10-11-2018, 11:48 AM
You are bang on Ensco. The structural monopoly of sport leagues is something that has to give. From FIFA down to the national and regional leagues.

Monopolies have to be broken up - there has to be competing leagues... harken back to the successful WHA. Imagine Messi getting signed by a non-FIFA football team? That's what happened to Gretzky.

Why should football players be exempt from immigration rules when the average punter in the stands isn't? Is there going to be free movement of fans between the countries to see the games? Tax payers building stadiums for billionaires?

Areathrasher
10-12-2018, 11:15 AM
Rumors that the Crew have been saved by this chap https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jimmy_Haslam

Detroit_TFC
10-12-2018, 02:35 PM
This is quite the development. I was feeling the die was cast already. As others have commented elsewhere, this outcome could have been achieved long ago if the league was an neutral arbiter instead of an active participant in the move. The judge in the Modell Law case probably gave enough signals that it was better to resolve this now than allow it to go to a verdict.

Auzzy
10-12-2018, 04:56 PM
Rumors that the Crew have been saved by this chap https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jimmy_Haslam

This is quite the development. I was feeling the die was cast already. As others have commented elsewhere, this outcome could have been achieved long ago if the league was an neutral arbiter instead of an active participant in the move. The judge in the Modell Law case probably gave enough signals that it was better to resolve this now than allow it to go to a verdict.

Wow, not just rumour any more: the owner of the Cleveland Browns has purchased the Columbus Crew. I haven't read all the details, and not everything is clear yet, but keeping them in Columbus is obviously the goal.

ensco
10-12-2018, 05:28 PM
Wow, not just rumour any more: the owner of the Cleveland Browns has purchased the Columbus Crew. I haven't read all the details, and not everything is clear yet, but keeping them in Columbus is obviously the goal.

Don’t be so sure. He could easily move them to Cleveland after a year or two.

Ask Seattle SuperSonics fans how these franchise sales in the face of move rumours work out.

Areathrasher
10-12-2018, 05:52 PM
Now that acutal details have come out its a consortium of the Browns owners, The Edwards Family (local to Columbus and have the land for a new stadium apparently) and the Columbus Partnership.

And it isn't a done deal yet.

OgtheDim
10-12-2018, 06:47 PM
Its not done

BUT

MLS put out a four part press release including the locals, the Brown owners, the Columbus mayor and the people getting the Austin thing up & running.

Its going to be resolved for 2019.

Look for CBus Mark III to be a go by early December and for Austin to announce in January they are starting play in 2020 with the move to their new stadium in 2021.

Detroit_TFC
10-12-2018, 08:10 PM
One scenario I thought might play out was that a local group comes forward to buy the Crew and PSV/MLS refuses to sell, or forces them into the expansion queue. I think that may have been the plan but there was also that the league didn't want any hiatus for the team moving from Cbus to Austin. PSV may have just run out of time and were left with no place to go.

So, between the lawsuit, the difficulty in relocating the team in time to play in 2019, the emergence of a local ownership including an NFL owner, and the MLS FO getting killed in public relations for a year over this, everything aligned. It's not signed and sealed but clearly the broad strokes of the deal (and that includes an intention to replace Crew Stadium) are agreed among the parties.

Redcoe15
10-12-2018, 10:58 PM
What a fuckjob this is.

magmadragon
10-12-2018, 11:28 PM
May Anthony Precourt's name be forever cursed alongside Art Modell's.

Derko
10-18-2018, 08:37 AM
A question and discussion, I want to hear honest opinions and reasons why TFC's Canadian players, other than Osorio, which took a few years of development, appear to be so weak and invisible on the pitch. Is it development, poor assessment of talent? I am all for TFC developing more Canadians, but man to me ours should be in USL if that. Please let's be civil and no personal digs.

Cheers

michaeltfc91
10-18-2018, 09:00 AM
A question and discussion, I want to hear honest opinions and reasons why TFC's Canadian players, other than Osorio, which took a few years of development, appear to be so weak and invisible on the pitch. Is it development, poor assessment of talent? I am all for TFC developing more Canadians, but man to me ours should be in USL if that. Please let's be civil and no personal digs.

Cheers

Hamilton - needs service, if he isn't getting proper service he is invisible as he can't fight off MLS defenders for positioning
Chapman - I think he's been alright, he's a backup midfielder in MLS nothing more nothing less I don't think he'll get much better
Fraser - still young, but definitely not up to MLS standard yet, there is potential there
Morgan - similar to Chapman, he's a good back up left back, not good enough to be a starter and doesn't make those nice runs down the left side anymore which makes him invisible
Telfer - was never good enough, had one good game and everyone went nuts. He isn't an MLS player
Ricketts - only good as a sub, but has also lost a step as he is pretty old

the only Canadians I want to see back next year are Osorio, Chapman, Morgan, Hamilton and Fraser

jabbronies
10-18-2018, 09:07 AM

Cheers

Greg Vanney made a comment earlier in the year about player development and the disappointment he has with youth coming into the club - at all ages - and not able to understand the basics of football.

- Knowing where to be on the pitch depending on the momentum of the moment
- Understanding the relationships between offensive players and defenders
- The ability to see 2 - 3+ steps ahead of where the play is at and how it will ultimately develop

There are only a handful of good coaches in this country.
The rest are shit. Plain and simple. They are good at footballl manager on their computers but not good at actually teaching kids how to play the game at a professional level.

OgtheDim
10-18-2018, 09:32 AM
Greg Vanney made a comment earlier in the year about player development and the disappointment he has with youth coming into the club - at all ages - and not able to understand the basics of football.

Reading between the lines of that comment, he was discussing a recent Canadian draft choice defender out of a relatively big US college. Player development is mostly screwed because of "KICK IT!!!!" type parents & the drive to win at the age of 7.

jabbronies
10-18-2018, 10:00 AM
Reading between the lines of that comment, he was discussing a recent Canadian draft choice defender out of a relatively big US college. Player development is mostly screwed because of "KICK IT!!!!" type parents & the drive to win at the age of 7.

Those parents are the ones who "Step up" and end up coaching our kids. I've been at Clubs where their U-XX coaches are people who have never played the game and whose only training comes from the Ontario Soccer Association clinics.

ensco
10-18-2018, 10:20 AM
Coaching young kids isn't the issue. The issue there is that they shouldn't have coaches at all.

Coaching kids from age 13-14 up, that's the gap. That's where Costa Rica and Iceland put their resources and turned the corner.

noimpactinmtl
10-18-2018, 10:24 AM
Those parents are the ones who "Step up" and end up coaching our kids. I've been at Clubs where their U-XX coaches are people who have never played the game and whose only training comes from the Ontario Soccer Association clinics.

As Arrigo Sacchi once said, “I didn’t remember that to be a jockey, you have to be a horse first”. Good coaches didn’t necessarily have to have played professionally once. The underlying philosophy, regardless is the mentality of development. You always develop technique at a young age. The ability to dribble, make passes out of the back and first touch are all important skills. As Arsene Wenger said “Technique is like building a foundation for a house. If a player doesn’t have technique by 14, forget it. They’ll never be able to play football professionally.”

Joe Kool
10-18-2018, 10:51 AM

- Knowing where to be on the pitch depending on the momentum of the moment
- Understanding the relationships between offensive players and defenders
- The ability to see 2 - 3+ steps ahead of where the play is at and how it will ultimately develop

There are only a handful of good coaches in this country.
The rest are shit. Plain and simple. They are good at footballl manager on their computers but not good at actually teaching kids how to play the game at a professional level.

I coached for many years but never played the game myself as a youth. I studied the game though big time to make myself a good coach and have always been a fan. Kids developed under me as a coach though. Lots of parents thanked me for the development they saw with their kids each year and the players still tell me I was part of their turning point to being as successful as they have been which I appreciate since I put alot into it. It is possible to be a good coach without ever playing if you take it seriously enough. I stepped back from coaching though a few years ago due to some personal stuff but my son still plays competitive so I am around the clubs and academies alot still. There are lots of crappy coaches out there for sure but there are also a number of really good coaches that are just not getting the proper support of their clubs in one way or another to produce good teams/players which is unfortunate. The attitude/expectations of many parents is a big part of the problem too because they expect overnight success or they will leave the current club looking for greener pastures. Lots of little clubs/academies popping up and diluting the talent which parents bring their kids to because they allow many kids to be "first team" players instead of earning it at a club with better teams/players. Diluting the talent decreases the skills because only playing top players against other top players will make them better. Definitely way more complicated situation in youth soccer than just shitty coaches. The political environment around youth soccer in this country needs to change. And all this without even mentioning the big issue that is we only get to see the best of who can afford it. I have seen many very talented players not continue in soccer development due to cost.

OgtheDim
10-18-2018, 11:12 AM
For the true diehards out there

https://twitter.com/zlebmada/status/1052950342177042432

(USMNT twitter is kinda weird)

jabbronies
10-18-2018, 11:30 AM
As Arrigo Sacchi once said, “I didn’t remember that to be a jockey, you have to be a horse first”. Good coaches didn’t necessarily have to have played professionally once. The underlying philosophy, regardless is the mentality of development. You always develop technique at a young age. The ability to dribble, make passes out of the back and first touch are all important skills. As Arsene Wenger said “Technique is like building a foundation for a house. If a player doesn’t have technique by 14, forget it. They’ll never be able to play football professionally.”

Right - Jose Mourihno never played the game, but he didn't just go to seasonal soccer clinics run by a hack organization.

The things that kids are lacking are beyond passing, shooting and other foundation skills. I'm talking about teaching and building on football IQ and actually helping kids understand the intricacies of the game and all the relationships on the field - relationships between the ball, it's location on the field, your teammates and the opposition.

Again - I've met nice people who are good teachers and have helped kids play recreational soccer - but we are talking about the professional game of Soccer - or football - whatever you want to call it. You don't become a proper professional only learning from people with good intentions. At a certain point, players have to actually learn the game and it's details.

ag futbol
10-18-2018, 12:39 PM
Right - Jose Mourihno never played the game, but he didn't just go to seasonal soccer clinics run by a hack organization.

The things that kids are lacking are beyond passing, shooting and other foundation skills. I'm talking about teaching and building on football IQ and actually helping kids understand the intricacies of the game and all the relationships on the field - relationships between the ball, it's location on the field, your teammates and the opposition.

Again - I've met nice people who are good teachers and have helped kids play recreational soccer - but we are talking about the professional game of Soccer - or football - whatever you want to call it. You don't become a proper professional only learning from people with good intentions. At a certain point, players have to actually learn the game and it's details.
I think you need to take a step back and look at the broader picture vs, some of the in-the-weeds issues here.

You know why we have an ungodly number of registered players in this country and historically so little to show for it? Half of ‘em pick their nose and stare at clouds for an hour a week while some giddy parent laps it up. All to later quit and retain no connection to the game by their teen years. If you did that elsewhere (minor hockey, other places in the world where soccer is played) people would say quit being an asshole or go play in the park. But we insist on watering down the great for the benefit of the average. I fought these battles consistently trying to provide technical (but still fun) training for young players.

The CSA either needs to very clearly (and intentionally) mandate clubs to separate the babysitting from the real sport or do away with the latter in entirety. Once that’s done, you can implement the stuff you’re talking about to a receptive audience (minimum coaching standards, focusing on tactics or continuous training, etc.)

In the meantime, the “hack organizations” are really just catering to an audience that wants what they offer. Mindless play under the guise of being sport. It’s a shame we ruin many potential players this way, but for those who are competitive, being in-the-know has always been important. Knowing where to find the best resources is as important as your dedication to sport.

OgtheDim
10-18-2018, 02:40 PM
Pablo Maurer with a good bit in the Athletic about shirt sponsorships. https://theathletic.com/598815/2018/10/18/

Buried in that

Sponsorships on the sleeves coming next year.

Omar
10-21-2018, 03:31 PM
So...uh...yeah...

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/278020803600187392/503663472970563586/image0.jpg

Tunnelred
10-23-2018, 09:23 AM
Martino leaving Atlanta at the end of the season:

https://www.atlutd.com/post/2018/10/23/martino-set-depart-atlanta-united-season-s-end-declines-contract-extension

Auzzy
10-23-2018, 11:24 AM
Martino leaving Atlanta at the end of the season:

https://www.atlutd.com/post/2018/10/23/martino-set-depart-atlanta-united-season-s-end-declines-contract-extension

Isn't this a bit odd to announce this now, with playoffs still ahead?

Tunnelred
10-23-2018, 11:27 AM
Isn't this a bit odd to announce this now, with playoffs still ahead?

The timing does seem a bit ridiculous... maybe they are preplanning an excuse in case they do like they did last season? Unlikely, but you never know. They’ve not looked the same team of late... since Almiron got hurt.

OgtheDim
10-23-2018, 01:22 PM
He's likely ready to sign with an NT & knows that will be leaked.

Yohan
10-23-2018, 10:33 PM
https://mlsplayers.org/resources/salary-guide

Updated salaries list

notthesun
10-29-2018, 03:39 PM
MLS TV viewership is up this year in Canada. 29% increase on TSN and 6% increase on TVA vs. last year. Bit of a surprise maybe with how our season went... Alphonso Davies effect maybe?

U.S. viewership also rose 6%.

https://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Journal/Issues/2018/10/29/Leagues-and-Governing-Bodies/MLS.aspx

benito
10-29-2018, 03:49 PM
MLS TV viewership is up this year in Canada. 29% increase on TSN and 6% increase on TVA vs. last year. Bit of a surprise maybe with how our season went... Alphonso Davies effect maybe?

I think there could be several reasons for the increase:

More interest due to MLS Cup win and deep Champions League run?
TSN spent more time promoting the matches and treated the MLS like how they treat the CFL?
Improved broadcast presentation and more consistent home match TV schedule?

OgtheDim
11-01-2018, 05:59 AM
NYC supporters group has a fascist problem & refuses to do anything about it.

hthttps://twitter.com/NYCFirm/status/1057778983138418688

Apparently a guy who organized the thing down in Charlottesville who also runs a skinhead/fascist music label is part of the New York SC supporters group. Said supporter's group doesn't seem to care and when asked, they tell people to shut up. NYC security knows all about them but refuses to do anything.

sn0re
11-01-2018, 09:44 AM
Joshua Kloke is doing an AMA at 1pm today for anyone interested in participating

https://www.reddit.com/r/toronto/comments/9t8jwh/joshua_kloke_toronto_fc_reporter_the_athletic_and/?st=JNYMBSKC&sh=556f530a

JayMolly
11-01-2018, 10:37 AM
https://mlsplayers.org/resources/salary-guide

Updated salaries list

Thanks for the updated list Yohan.

ag futbol
11-07-2018, 09:52 AM
Canada lost to Panama in the U20 thus eliminating them from qualifying for 2020 WC. However, 18-yo TFC 2 player Noble Okello scored three goals in the tournament, from midfield.

Looking forward to seeing him progress in the coming years. Great potential here for a 2-way midfielder.

Areathrasher
11-07-2018, 10:01 AM
Caps hire Marc Dos Santos

sidvan
11-07-2018, 11:40 AM
Caps hire Marc Dos Santos
Worst kept secret! :megaphone:

Initial B
11-07-2018, 12:45 PM
Canada lost to Panama in the U20 thus eliminating them from qualifying for 2020 WC.
They're not eliminated yet, but it's not looking good. This bothers me - we're supposed to start seeing Academy products coming through the system at this point that could make the senior squads, and yet we lose to Panama, a nation 1/9 our size. Then I saw that one of our players from the Whitecaps academy got a Red in the 26th minute. At this level of play its inexcusable when they know what's at stake.

Greatest Ripoff
11-07-2018, 04:35 PM
This bothers me - we're supposed to start seeing Academy products coming through the system at this point that could make the senior squads

One of the issues this cycle is that some of the u20 players so good they already have made it to the senior squad for Canada. I don’t think they would be loosing to Panama if the front four consisted of Millar, Table, Davies and David.

Okello has had looked really good. Very powerful with an eye for goal but still able to pass it around. I wonder if there will be room for him with the first team next year.

Dunn has also looked good. I was worried that his confidence and career would be totally shot after his first team experience this year. Also, I am not sure if he is playing against smaller players but he looks like he has grown a lot since then.

Initial B
11-08-2018, 07:38 AM
Even without our best players, Canada shouldn't have lost. There needs to be more quality coaching at the U5-U17 level to improve our results.

Voodooman
11-08-2018, 08:07 AM
On the topic of quality coaching. The resources are there but like reffing in Canada its quite expensive to be able to grow and get your levels in the country. What many coaches are doing now is going to other countries getting their levels there and coming back. This doesn't exactly set a great precedent and should be something that is looked at I would think.

As it is greatly affecting our coaching pool. It has gotten better over the years though.

ag futbol
11-08-2018, 09:48 AM
Even without our best players, Canada shouldn't have lost. There needs to be more quality coaching at the U5-U17 level to improve our results.
Lots of stuff to work on. More broadly: better development opportunities, more pressure on clubs to actually develop players, and cheaper access to the game at the youth levels (our best player was only given the proper opportunity to play at an early age because of a charity!).

But, most importantly in this case I think, we need to be more competitive and start putting more responsibility on these kids to produce. I don’t care if we were screwed on some call 5 minutes earlier and their player should have been sent off. This is Concacaf and these antics are to be expected. We should be better than they are, period.

I don’t think these kids quite comprehend the chance they lost here by not qualifying. This can be make or break for a few careers. We played a meandering first two games against minnows and fell flat, flat on our face at the sight of the first challenge. If that’s what you are going to produce, go play in men’s league, professional soccer will not be for you. There are players in this country who are hungry to play, let them step up.

And for any U20 coach, not qualifying should be an automatic pink slip. The bar is incredibly low.

OgtheDim
11-08-2018, 12:59 PM
FWIW, team went down a man after 24 minutes.

ag futbol
11-08-2018, 01:49 PM
FWIW, team went down a man after 24 minutes.
Understood. We retaliated a few minutes after a bad tackle from their player on one of our mids and got burned for it. Not smart.

There must be some sort of running joke about how often we fall for these tricks. We’d play three card Monte if they’d let us.

OgtheDim
11-08-2018, 02:39 PM
Kids gotta learn to CONCACAF.

ag futbol
11-08-2018, 07:04 PM
And to top it off we got dropped by St. Kitts too. Time for some soul searching about how we handle this age level perhaps?

notthesun
11-08-2018, 10:49 PM
Yeah that is pretty yikes. That's inexcusable.

SirBobSaget
11-08-2018, 11:12 PM
Disgusting result and the 'coach' is making a long list of excuses such as the schedule.

OgtheDim
11-17-2018, 05:53 PM
https://twitter.com/SoccerByIves/status/1063870849411878912

End of an era at FCD - rumour is they are going to sell off a lot of players as well. Urruti back to Argentina, for example.

Auzzy
11-17-2018, 06:25 PM
End of an era at FCD - rumour is they are going to sell off a lot of players as well. Urruti back to Argentina, for example.

Anyone worthwhile / reasonably-priced to pick up?

Oldtimer
11-17-2018, 06:47 PM
Interesting view from China on MLS growth and future:

https://m.scmp.com/sport/football/article/2173149/could-major-league-soccer-compete-europe-players-fans-and-sponsors

Hamilton_Red
11-17-2018, 08:24 PM
I hope there was a lesson learned this year for the season opener. For the last 4-5 years a tradition had developed for TFC to start the season on the West coast. To have the season opener at home in Toronto in March is reckless. First two games should always be on the road with a start in Vancouver, Seattle, Portland, or California. They really shouldn't be playing anymore than absolutely necessary until mid April in Toronto.

buddies
11-17-2018, 09:39 PM
I hope there was a lesson learned this year for the season opener. For the last 4-5 years a tradition had developed for TFC to start the season on the West coast. To have the season opener at home in Toronto in March is reckless. First two games should always be on the road with a start in Vancouver, Seattle, Portland, or California. They really shouldn't be playing anymore than absolutely necessary until mid April in Toronto.

Given how crap the field has been this year and the fact that they're rebuilding it as we speak it might be better if they investigate the feasibility of moving Champions League games inside this winter. Might be difficult to find sod at this time of year but it might be cheaper to lay a temporary field at the dome and play there rather than risk screwing up BMO in February again ...

OgtheDim
11-18-2018, 07:09 AM
Manning was specifically asked if games would be played at Rogers Centre - the answer was a definite No.

Hamilton_Red
11-18-2018, 01:09 PM
Manning was specifically asked if games would be played at Rogers Centre - the answer was a definite No.

They should play in the soccer specific stadium that taxpayers bought for the Commonwealth games.... it's got artificial turf now.

Redpunkfiddle
11-18-2018, 04:57 PM
They should play in the soccer specific stadium that taxpayers bought for the Commonwealth games.... it's got artificial turf now.

If this is sarcasm, I’d more likely say use the taxpayer funded PaAm games improvements that were bought at that Hamilton stadium.

OgtheDim
11-19-2018, 08:30 PM
Report in the Athletic of a SIGNIFICANT change in Playoffs and League dates

7 teams per conference make playoffs
Bye to next round only for Conference champ
Single knockout competition
Season ends first Sunday in October
4 rounds of playoff
MLS Cup final would be second weekend in November
Season might start earlier in February
More weekday games
Likely more charter flights allowed

https://theathletic.com/664327/2018/11/19/sources-big-changes-to-mls-regular-season-playoff-schedules-on-the-way/

James17930
11-19-2018, 11:42 PM

4 rounds of playoff
More weekday games

https://theathletic.com/664327/2018/11/19/sources-big-changes-to-mls-regular-season-playoff-schedules-on-the-way/

Upon first glance these seem positive changes.

Auzzy
11-20-2018, 01:06 AM

4 rounds of playoff
More weekday games

Sounds pretty good. I hope February & early March games are in the cities with better weather, or indoors.

Only thing, with a more compressed schedule, and more weekday games, it becomes harder to schedule in the Voyageurs and CCL games; plus for TFC home games, leaving gaps for the Argos including field recovery time.

BTW in the season-end interviews, TFC brass noted that in 2018, TFC had some of the worst scheduling of any team, ever. I didn't mention it at the time, but I have to wonder if the Argos also play a role in that. It just makes BMO Field scheduling less flexible. Consider also the additional scheduling demands from the TV networks, and conflicts at other venues, which all play a role.

TFC1154ever
11-20-2018, 05:23 AM

4 rounds of playoff
More weekday games

I liked everything in that EXCEPT the one game playoff rounds. Yes I do like that the better you are in the season, the more rewarded you get with the home game. But there is a better chance of some stupid happening in 1 game, then over 2 legs. So happy they’re going to move the MLS Cup to before the November international window. Longer off seasons as well!

Initial B
11-20-2018, 07:49 AM
^ It makes sense to finish the season before the October international break to give teams time to sell tickets to their games. The four weeks between the October and November international breaks would work well for a 16-team elimination tournament. However, I'm not sure if they shorten the season whether or not they will be able to have all the teams play each other. But if they start the weekend after Valentine's day, they could probably squeeze in 34 games. The most games any team would have to play in a MLS season would be 38, which is less than the 40 game maximum it is now.

ensco
11-20-2018, 07:51 AM
Seven playoff teams is too many. One game knock out is a farce.

What they should do is a version of the liguilla in Mexico, ie a mini tournament.

Starting in early October, get down to 4 teams per conference. Maybe have your top two in conference get in automatically, then have 3 and 6 and 4 and 5 play each other, same as now.

Then the four teams on each side play each other - three games each. The one seed plays ALL 3 games at home. Two seed plays 2 of three at home. Next highest seed gets a single home game. Lowest seed plays them all on the road.

Group winners play in MLS Cup.

Makes the season mean something, makes seed position mean something, and gives you an exciting playoff round that is fair. If a six seed goes to MLS Cup, they'll have played and won all 4 playoff games on the road to do it. (Right now a six seed gets two home games on path to MLS Cup- that is truly not right)

Total number of playoff games would 25 games including MLS Cup, but this current proposed format they would have only 13 games.

Would create potentially some crazy scoreboard watching scenarios in last round in some years, with multiple games running head to head like get get on final day in group stage in World Cup.

(FYI Mexico has 8 teams in the liguilla and doesn’t have the twist of having home games determined by seed.)

I'll get my hat.

Initial B
11-20-2018, 08:20 AM
^ I posted that idea on Big Soccer a couple of months ago, based on someone else's idea. I think that conference group stage playoffs would be awesome. Each winner plays MLS cup the following week. It would also help with scheduling of playoffs and selling of tickets if you have the high seeded teams playing group stage first, allowing more time for the winning knockout-stage teams to sell tickets.

ensco
11-20-2018, 08:37 AM
^ I posted that idea on Big Soccer a couple of months ago, based on someone else's idea. I think that conference group stage playoffs would be awesome. Each winner plays MLS cup the following week. It would also help with scheduling of playoffs and selling of tickets if you have the high seeded teams playing group stage first, allowing more time for the winning knockout-stage teams to sell tickets.

Funny I first saw it on BS but ten years ago. The part about seed determining home games I got somewhere else, can’t remember where

Every Mexican knows and likes this system.

Richard
11-20-2018, 09:03 AM
Cash is king. Your dreaming if you think they will cut 12 games.

Redpunkfiddle
11-20-2018, 09:20 AM
Funny I first saw it on BS but ten years ago. The part about seed determining home games I got somewhere else, can’t remember where

Every Mexican knows and likes this system.

Just to clarify- Not sure why you are bringing up Liga MX as an example-the Liguilla is 8 top teams from the table, seeded home and away QF SF and Final.

Costa Rica does a second stage group round robin to determine the playoff final 2 teams- and maybe other Central American teams as well.

I started hearing this year some of the commentators referring to the excitement of the knock out round and carrying it through the playoffs.

It’s WILD. YOU GOT TO BE KIDDING ME, etc type of hype.

ensco
11-20-2018, 10:24 AM
Cash is king. Your dreaming if you think they will cut 12 games.

I am ADDING 12 games.

ensco
11-20-2018, 10:26 AM
Just to clarify- Not sure why you are bringing up Liga MX as an example-the Liguilla is 8 top teams from the table, seeded home and away QF SF and Final.

Costa Rica does a second stage group round robin to determine the playoff final 2 teams- and maybe other Central American teams as well.

I didn't know that re CR. That is the better example then.

I meant that Mexican fans understand the second season format, but, if it were me, I'd go round robin.

Red CB Toronto
11-20-2018, 11:22 AM
This is a 1977 NASL schedule to give you an idea of how a MLS sked could look with more mid week games. In 1977 the MLS regular season was 26 games and it ran from mid April-July. The playoffs were four rounds with the final on Aug. 28th. So you can see how easy it would be with say even an early April start to be over by the November break or even earlier, just not sure how many mid week matches they would want to push with the travel and all as I am sure fatigue would set in.

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/he4AAOSwCgVb6NZU/s-l1600.jpg

Gringo Starr
11-20-2018, 12:53 PM
I'll miss the home and away format, the passion really builds over the 2 games.

fergiejr
11-20-2018, 01:11 PM
I'll miss the home and away format, the passion really builds over the 2 games.

Not to mention if your team finishes first overall, you don't get to invade the other stadiums with your away support. Some of my fondest away memories are from NYCFC and NYRB playoffs.

DinamoTFC
11-20-2018, 01:22 PM
Not to mention if your team finishes first overall, you don't get to invade the other stadiums with your away support. Some of my fondest away memories are from NYCFC and NYRB playoffs.
This x 100

OgtheDim
11-20-2018, 01:27 PM
Seven playoff teams is too many. One game knock out is a farce.....

Its a cup. MLS finally admitting what it could have been all along.

(Still think they should just invite everybody in and figure it out)

ensco
11-20-2018, 02:18 PM
Its a cup. MLS finally admitting what it could have been all along.

(Still think they should just invite everybody in and figure it out)

We have a Cup already (well 2 Cups- CCL and US Open).

This is just a second cup, which seems pointless

Richard
11-20-2018, 03:22 PM
I am ADDING 12 games.

Oh my mistake.

magmadragon
11-22-2018, 12:30 AM
Given how much this is still a gate driven league, I'm not sure how much appetite there is for more midweek games. I personally love the 2 leg format of the playoffs. If the league scheduled more midweek games to accommodate an earlier start time to the playoffs and maintain the current format, I'd be all for that. If that means doing MLS Cup after the international break (thereby giving the host time to sell tickets and the league time to hype up the match-up), that would work as well. I don't think you need to even start the season earlier to accomplish this. But this all comes back to appetite for more midweek games and the lower revenues that a lot of teams experience.

Blindside16
11-22-2018, 02:08 AM
I figured the league would be looking at doing something with the schedule. Especially considering Qatar 2022 would fall smack dab in the middle of the playoffs

Cas87
11-22-2018, 08:12 AM
I figured the league would be looking at doing something with the schedule. Especially considering Qatar 2022 would fall smack dab in the middle of the playoffs

This would be an easy(or easier fix) than other world cup years where a break is taken mid-season.
MLS would simply have to schedule more mid-week games from May-July (maybe August) then you could start the playoffs 1-2 weeks earlier (maybe earlier). Plus, even though there is the usual international window in November I feel that in 2022, FIFA will put out an announcement that it will not be a 'required' window to observe due to the World Cup.

MightyDM
11-22-2018, 01:57 PM
Sounds pretty good. I hope February & early March games are in the cities with better weather, or indoors.

Only thing, with a more compressed schedule, and more weekday games, it becomes harder to schedule in the Voyageurs and CCL games; plus for TFC home games, leaving gaps for the Argos including field recovery time.

BTW in the season-end interviews, TFC brass noted that in 2018, TFC had some of the worst scheduling of any team, ever. I didn't mention it at the time, but I have to wonder if the Argos also play a role in that. It just makes BMO Field scheduling less flexible. Consider also the additional scheduling demands from the TV networks, and conflicts at other venues, which all play a role.

I love the home and home playoffs. Big loss if they go

Auzzy
11-22-2018, 02:38 PM
I love the home and home playoffs. Big loss if they go

Agreed. The away & home playoff series vs. the Impact in 2016 is probably the all-time favourite sports event of my life.

Redcoe15
11-22-2018, 06:08 PM
Agreed. The away & home playoff series vs. the Impact in 2016 is probably the all-time favourite sports event of my life.
Oh fuckin' yeah! If it were a one and done, our side would have lost to the L'Impact that year.

ensco
11-22-2018, 06:11 PM
Oh fuckin' yeah! If it were a one and done, our side would have lost to the L'Impact that year.

No. We were the home side, we would have been the host of a single game. We beat them here 3-2 or 5-2, depending on how you look at it.

Hamilton_Red
11-22-2018, 06:38 PM
A single game final only makes sense at a neutral venue. Its pretty lame in the current format.

It should always be played on grass & preferably a reliable warm neutral venue.

OgtheDim
11-22-2018, 09:07 PM
The model here is the NCAA basketball tourney.

That's why I think they go to 16 relatively quickly, and then get it all done in 2-3 weeks.

And then in 5-10 years when the league is at 32 teams, they go to a full 3 week league cup.

I think they also go to 4 divisions and really bump up the division as a prize thing.

Richard
11-22-2018, 11:25 PM
A single game final only makes sense at a neutral venue. Its pretty lame in the current format.

It should always be played on grass & preferably a reliable warm neutral venue.

Maybe NA should have a Wembly stadium of sorts. Fans can congregate in one place, call it the mecca, and share all revenue.

James17930
11-22-2018, 11:32 PM
Maybe NA should have a Wembly stadium of sorts. Fans can congregate in one place, call it the mecca, and share all revenue.

NA is too big for a plan such as this. The neutral venue MLS Cups were all worse than having it at the higher ranked team's stadium.

Mike_S
11-23-2018, 12:03 PM
Given how much this is still a gate driven league, I'm not sure how much appetite there is for more midweek games. I personally love the 2 leg format of the playoffs. If the league scheduled more midweek games to accommodate an earlier start time to the playoffs and maintain the current format, I'd be all for that. If that means doing MLS Cup after the international break (thereby giving the host time to sell tickets and the league time to hype up the match-up), that would work as well. I don't think you need to even start the season earlier to accomplish this. But this all comes back to appetite for more midweek games and the lower revenues that a lot of teams experience.

I'm also a little surprised that all the owners would agree to this, since so many home playoff dates are now lost to certain teams.

Initial B
11-24-2018, 06:29 PM
I figure they're expecting that TV revenue sharing will make up for any loss of home dates.

Heepster
11-30-2018, 12:11 PM
...I’d more likely say use the taxpayer funded Pan-Am games improvements that were bought at that Hamilton stadium.Has anything been said yet about location for any possible early season or CCL matches?
CCL Draw is Monday.
http://www.concacafchampionsleague.com/en/article/2019-scotiabank-concacaf-champions-league-draw-to-take-place-december-3

Ultra & Proud
11-30-2018, 12:12 PM
Has anything been said yet about location for any possible early season or CCL matches?
CCL Draw is Monday.
http://www.concacafchampionsleague.com/en/article/2019-scotiabank-concacaf-champions-league-draw-to-take-place-december-3

They'll all be at BMO. No where else to go.

OgtheDim
12-01-2018, 06:56 AM
First round opponents could be

Pot 2: Alianza FC (SLV), Atletico Pantoja (DOM), CD Guastatoya (GUA), CD Marathon (HON), Club Atlético Independiente (PAN), CS Herediano (CRC), Deportivo Saprissa (CRC) and USA 2 (Sporting KC)

If the CONCACAF fix is in - we get SKC.

Richard
12-01-2018, 12:45 PM
I rather we play an MLS team than some trash Central American diving club.

portu
12-01-2018, 10:54 PM
I rather we play an MLS team than some trash Central American diving club.

Hell no

Red CB Toronto
12-01-2018, 11:34 PM
First round opponents could be

Pot 2: Alianza FC (SLV), Atletico Pantoja (DOM), CD Guastatoya (GUA), CD Marathon (HON), Club Atlético Independiente (PAN), CS Herediano (CRC), Deportivo Saprissa (CRC) and USA 2 (Sporting KC)

If the CONCACAF fix is in - we get SKC.

A trip to the DR would be most ideal in my eyes in more ways than one.

ensco
12-02-2018, 10:57 AM
Congratulations to Gregg Berhalter.

Suspect that, with Higuain nearing the end, and this, the Crew will not be nearly as competitive next year.

magmadragon
12-04-2018, 11:04 AM
Congratulations to Gregg Berhalter.

Suspect that, with Higuain nearing the end, and this, the Crew will not be nearly as competitive next year.

That and Zack Steffen possibly going abroad.

ensco
12-06-2018, 12:48 PM
Check out Boban Krkic's Barca Best XI (hat tip to John Molinaro who tweeted this out)

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/46309282

backbeat
12-06-2018, 05:30 PM
Check out Boban Krkic's Barca Best XI (hat tip to John Molinaro who tweeted this out)

pretty cool - but i thought VV's issues at Barca were injury related....

burlington Red
12-07-2018, 01:47 PM

In the same vein of wonderkids, decent article about the youngest players to make debut in the the PL and where they ended up:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2015/apr/14/premier-league-10-youngest-players-what-happened-next

anto7
12-07-2018, 06:28 PM

I asked John to retweet if from me so TFC fans could read it, I thought it was a very cool story and looks great on Victor

ensco
12-12-2018, 12:50 PM
Hard to read and deeply moving story about the Reyna family

https://www.si.com/soccer/2018/12/12/claudio-reyna-family-jack-death-giovanni-dortmund

Auzzy
12-12-2018, 01:43 PM

https://www.si.com/soccer/2018/12/12/claudio-reyna-family-jack-death-giovanni-dortmund

Wow, amazing & difficult article.

notthesun
12-12-2018, 01:59 PM
First preseason action for TFC is Feb 2nd vs. Las Vegas Lights FC

https://twitter.com/torontofc/status/1072911746925559808

ensco
12-12-2018, 02:09 PM
Vegas is only 2000 ft above sea level.

Not high enough. Let’s go to Albuquerque.

Oldtimer
12-12-2018, 02:45 PM

Wow, amazing & difficult article.

Wow that was hard.

paul-collins
12-12-2018, 04:08 PM

Why? Our path through CCL doesn't have elevation in the first round, and anyway, any gains to be found in early Feb would be gone by the time we see Toluca. There's no other elevation to worry about until the finals...

James17930
12-12-2018, 11:17 PM
Why? Our path through CCL doesn't have elevation in the first round, and anyway, any gains to be found in early Feb would be gone by the time we see Toluca. There's no other elevation to worry about until the finals...

I think you missed the joke ;)

Auzzy
12-13-2018, 02:17 AM

Bah. Cerro de Pasco, Peru is where it's at. Almost triple the elevation of Albuquerque. :D

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Estadio_Daniel_Alcides_Carri%C3%B3n

paul-collins
12-13-2018, 11:38 AM
I think you missed the joke ;)
Should I have turned left at Albuquerque

https://static.tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pub/images/rsz_bugs_2_4558.jpg

ensco
12-13-2018, 12:49 PM
^Ahhh that is perfect!!!

In other news, can anyone explain this tweet?

https://twitter.com/torontofc/status/1073265424186441736?s=21

Areathrasher
12-13-2018, 01:39 PM
Nothing else going on so trying to boos engagement with a dumb Christmas tweet

notthesun
12-13-2018, 02:14 PM
List of players available in Re-Entry draft: https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2018/12/13/eligible-players-mls-re-entry-draft-announced

Stage 1 goes Friday at 3pm. We have Irwin and Ricketts up for grabs. As a reminder any player taken in Stage 1 needs to be offered at minimum their previous year's salary. Players taken in Stage 2 negotiate brand new deals. We get the 5th pick.

For discussion's sake here are the notable CBs available and last year's guaranteed compensation:

Jonathan Campbell (128k)
Christian Dean (93k)
Maynor Figueroa (250k)
Kevin Ellis (158k)
Kofi Opare (133k)
Dejan Jakovic (150k)
Aaron Maund (189k)
Jose Aja (240k)

I think Campbell, maybe Opare are the only ones I'd take any real look at.

Oldtimer
12-14-2018, 09:29 AM
List of players available in Re-Entry draft: https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2018/12/13/eligible-players-mls-re-entry-draft-announced

Stage 1 goes Friday at 3pm. We have Irwin and Ricketts up for grabs. As a reminder any player taken in Stage 1 needs to be offered at minimum their previous year's salary. Players taken in Stage 2 negotiate brand new deals. We get the 5th pick.

For discussion's sake here are the notable CBs available and last year's guaranteed compensation:

Jonathan Campbell (128k)
Christian Dean (93k)
Maynor Figueroa (250k)
Kevin Ellis (158k)
Kofi Opare (133k)
Dejan Jakovic (150k)
Aaron Maund (189k)
Jose Aja (240k)

I think Campbell, maybe Opare are the only ones I'd take any real look at.

The only player TFC has ever selected in the re-entry draft was DeRo (for his final stint here).

Most of these players won't get selected in either round.

notthesun
12-14-2018, 09:38 AM
The only player TFC has ever selected in the re-entry draft was DeRo (for his final stint here).

Most of these players won't get selected in either round.

We grabbed Robbie Findley in 2014 through re-entry too.

Oldtimer
12-14-2018, 09:40 AM
We grabbed Robbie Findley in 2014 through re-entry too.

Forgot Robbie (maybe because he was only here one season).

ensco
12-14-2018, 09:42 AM
I might take Figueroa on $100K as CB depth if he'd do it. I haven’t really followed him but I remember him being a stud in the Dallas game here last May.

A Stick
12-14-2018, 10:34 AM
I might take Figueroa on $100K as CB depth if he'd do it. I haven’t really followed him but I remember him being a stud in the Dallas game here last May.
He's a decent veteran but I would classify him as a left back.

ensco
12-14-2018, 12:26 PM
Dallas are really dismantling their team. Pretty interesting for a team that was near the top in the west for all of 2018

Oldtimer
12-14-2018, 12:50 PM
Dallas are really dismantling their team. Pretty interesting for a team that was near the top in the west for all of 2018

A classic old TFC move.

Pull it all apart, restart. Pull it all apart, restart.

Areathrasher
12-14-2018, 03:19 PM
They are going all in on their homegrowns. Be interesting to see how it plays out.

Initial B
12-14-2018, 08:55 PM
So how about Nick Deleon? I liked him when he first came onto the scene as a midfielder, but I'm not sure about him as a fullback. How do you think Bez or Vanney see him being used?

SirBobSaget
12-15-2018, 12:12 AM
So how about Nick Deleon? I liked him when he first came onto the scene as a midfielder, but I'm not sure about him as a fullback. How do you think Bez or Vanney see him being used?

In his rookie year he played further up the pitch and had 6g 4A. Lately he has been pulled back as a FB and not been as productive. So possibly he will be a winger and FB depth?

Yohan
12-15-2018, 07:40 AM
de leon sucks. never got his head quite into the game and inconsistent as hell. at best he's a depth player

Omar
12-15-2018, 01:40 PM
I think we'll use him as a versatile squad option for both the right full back and midfield roles. We badly needed another option to Delgado last season, and DeLeon can offer that, especially since we do play with wider midfielders. He can also be a useful full back option especially if we don't get Auro. There may also be occasions where we'll play on the front foot and field van der Wiel in central defence with DeLeon on the right.

This is a good signing to address the overall lack of depth in our team.

Gringo Starr
12-15-2018, 02:58 PM
He seems like expensive depth, not what I expected when we cleared the Irwin and Ricketts contracts but if he plays more than those two did it's a more effective use of cap space.

MightyDM
12-15-2018, 06:21 PM
A classic old TFC move.

Pull it all apart, restart. ; Fire the coach. Pull it all apart, restart. Fire the coach .

Added some details....

Oldtimer
12-16-2018, 12:46 AM
Added some details....

Lol!!!

notthesun
12-17-2018, 03:18 PM
https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2018/12/13/2019-mls-playoff-structure

New playoff format and schedule is official. Full details in the link, but the gist of it is 7 playoff teams per conference, with conference winners getting a bye to the 2nd round, all single-elimination with the higher seed hosting.

New schedule has MLS Cup played on November 10th and the entire playoffs happening in 3 weeks between FIFA international breaks. The season is still starting at the beginning of March as usual so expect more mid-week and double game week fixtures throughout the season. Depth becomes even more important.

OgtheDim
12-17-2018, 08:58 PM
It's a cup competition. This will make the supporters shield even more of a prize. And will be good for TV.

jazzy
12-17-2018, 09:18 PM
Can’t say I’d rejoice with too many week day (night) games ......enjoy blissful sunny days , (dream on)

Areathrasher
12-19-2018, 09:58 AM
Remember this? It's a funny ol game....

https://www.wakingthered.com/2015/8/4/9098625/ole-gunnar-solksjaer-toronto-fc-head-coach-president-manchester-united-molde

Canary10
12-19-2018, 11:08 AM
Remember this? It's a funny ol game....

https://www.wakingthered.com/2015/8/4/9098625/ole-gunnar-solksjaer-toronto-fc-head-coach-president-manchester-united-molde

Ha! That's funny. I don't even remember that rumour.

ensco
12-23-2018, 12:58 PM
I wonder if de Boer might bring one of Winter or de Klerk with him to Atlanta.

sidvan
12-24-2018, 09:07 AM
I wonder if de Boer might bring one of Winter or de Klerk with him to Atlanta.

Had the same discussion yesterday. De Klerk would be a logical candidate. Stayed in NA and is watching the game over here. Good assessor of talent.

DOMIN8R
12-26-2018, 07:04 PM
Sigi Schmid, former Galaxy coach, dies at 65 (https://www.latimes.com/sports/soccer/la-sp-sigi-schmid-obit-20181226-story.html)

Three weeks after being hospitalized.......

benito
12-26-2018, 08:12 PM
Sigi Schmid, former Galaxy coach, dies at 65 (https://www.latimes.com/sports/soccer/la-sp-sigi-schmid-obit-20181226-story.html)

Three weeks after being hospitalized.......

Very surprising news. Thoughts and prayers for his family and friends.

rydermike
12-27-2018, 01:07 AM
Galaxy have new manager

Guillermo Barros Schelotto has agreed to take over as Los Angeles Galaxy manager.Although the contract will not be signed until next week, it is rumored to be over two years.
Schelotto won an MLS Cup as a player with the Columbus Crew in 2008. The 45-year-old most recently lead Boca Juniors to two domestic titles.
https://soccer.realgm.com/wiretap/6692/LA-Galaxy-Agree-To-Deal-With-Guillermo-Barros-Schelotto

Oldtimer
12-27-2018, 09:58 PM
Beitashour was named LAFC's defensive MVP (voted on by the players).

Yohan
12-28-2018, 04:38 AM
https://www.sounderatheart.com/2018/12/26/18157048/sigi-schmid-american-soccer-god-passes-away-mls-coach#1

Wonderful stories about Schmid

Oldtimer
12-31-2018, 05:05 PM
2019 thread here:

http://forums.redpatchboys.ca/showthread.php?42056-2019-general-TFC-MLS-banter