PDA

View Full Version : 2018 general TFC/MLS banter

Pages : 1 [2] 3

Alonso
04-12-2018, 05:59 PM
If you value Jozy over Balotelli PLUS at least a million and a half of extra cap space PLUS a high level prospect then I can't convince you really

Jozy = team player

Balotelli = primadonna

Jozy is a character that can help build a team, and is humble for the most part. We don't need the Balotelli types around here in Toronto. Doesn't suit us.

We should be after hockey players who lose three teeth in a game and don't blink or give a shit.

Richard
04-12-2018, 06:11 PM
Balotelli is a wannabe Zlatan except 100 times more childish, and none of the winning pedigree.

James17930
04-12-2018, 06:24 PM
I'd be happy to see Balo in the league, but we don't need him.

notthesun
04-12-2018, 09:18 PM
https://twitter.com/samstejskal/status/984587204919025664

TFC II vs. Houston is a go

Richard
04-12-2018, 09:20 PM
The league should have moved the game. Ridiculous.

portu
04-12-2018, 09:25 PM
The league should have moved the game. Ridiculous.

I’m surprised the league isn’t going to fine us for putting out an intentionally poor team

ensco
04-12-2018, 09:47 PM
It was Houston's call I'd wager. At least I hope so.

Fine by me.

Red CB Toronto
04-12-2018, 10:38 PM
It was Houston's call I'd wager. At least I hope so.

Fine by me.

It was Houston's call as it was when they agreed to move their home game vs the Red Bulls. Now it will be interesting to see how the league reacts when TFC asks to make a bunch of short term signings from TFCII. Now the Reds do have some flexibility with five open roster spots, so if one of them as expected is Jason Hernandez that leaves four, so we shall see. Lots of moving parts here.

notthesun
04-12-2018, 11:13 PM
Yeah the other team has to agree to it being moved. So you have to credit D.C. for moving our game against them.

If you're Houston, you're looking at a likely 3 points against the best team in the league... hard to turn down.

Oldtimer
04-13-2018, 06:59 AM
Likely win vs upsetting your fans by moving yet another home game solely for the other team's benefit.

It was too much of an ask for TFC. The Reds need to do what they need to do.

No way the Commissioner fines them. Garber badly wants TFC to win the CCL. That's why TFC is so sure that it's ok that they are openly saying what they are doing (as opposed to EPL teams that have "injuries" to first squad players that heal by midweek).

ensco
04-13-2018, 07:06 AM
Houston moved their NYRB game last weekend already. They did their bit for MLS.

Blindside16
04-16-2018, 01:44 AM
It wouldn't surprise me to see the league tweak the rules slightly to allow re-scheduling games for CCL to become a little easier for them in the future.

El Diego
04-16-2018, 06:15 PM
Very interested to see what TFC 1.5 can do versus the Dynamo. Against the Rapids they looked fairly poor for the most part but I think a lot of that was obviously a lack of chemistry. Sometimes even one game can help a lot. I wouldn't be shocked to see a draw.

OgtheDim
04-16-2018, 06:34 PM
Given they don't want to take anybody from the 18 to Houston, I'm trying to figure out who is going to go.

Cause the 18 in Guadalajara would likely include 7 of these 8 who all played in Colorado - Ricketts, Hamilton, Morgan, Irwin, Moor, Zavs, Hasler & Aketxe.

OgtheDim
04-17-2018, 07:57 AM
Possible NYC stadium

https://newyorkyimby.com/2018/04/exclusive-reveal-for-700-million-harlem-river-yards-mega-project.html

James17930
04-17-2018, 09:02 AM
Possible NYC stadium

https://newyorkyimby.com/2018/04/exclusive-reveal-for-700-million-harlem-river-yards-mega-project.html

Looks sweet, and in the 5 Burroughs.

Weird that the article doesn't mention NYCFC by name, though.

EDIT:

Though now I think about it, isn't that stadium WAY too small? Only 26k? They'd need at least 35k+, no?

PizzaEatingYeti
04-17-2018, 01:05 PM

EDIT:

Though now I think about it, isn't that stadium WAY too small? Only 26k? They'd need at least 35k+, no?

I was thinking the same.
Maybe not 35+, but why not 32 K at least?

Because that design does not look like later more seats can be added easily.

magmadragon
04-17-2018, 01:15 PM
I imagine some of the attendance concerns for the Red Bulls have played into this. Also NYC's attendance has been dropping since inception though it looks like it has leveled out for now. Don't overbuild it, keep demand up.

James17930
04-17-2018, 06:58 PM
^But make sure as it's expandable.

As Og said, the design makes it look like it's not.

ensco
04-18-2018, 10:37 PM
Good article on how values are moving around on trade market

https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2018/04/18/tenorio-tam-funds-cause-domino-effect-international-slots-mls-trades

Oldtimer
04-19-2018, 11:03 AM
Things not looking good for Vancouver at the moment.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/kei-kamara-vancouver-whitecaps-mls-major-league-soccer-sporting-kansas-city-carl-robinson/sn-amp/?__twitter_impression=true

StokeciTFC
04-20-2018, 09:15 AM
Wenger confirms his exit from Arsenal at the end of the EPL season. Vieira touted as his potential replacement, obviously creating major, potential repercussions for NYCFC.

What about Wenger coming the other way? The way he's run his club may be an indicator for a good fit in MLS. Any thoughts?

C.Ronaldo
04-20-2018, 09:46 AM

EDIT:

hopefully the building and field for other purposes when games arent on, that area needs it. (ie turf gets rolled out for amateurs)

Detroit_TFC
04-20-2018, 01:02 PM
I hope Vieira is smart enough not to accept the Arsenal job if offered, even if he wants it. Arsenal is going to be a mess and whoever comes in right after AW will get blamed for it. He can come in after the scapegoat gets fired. Will be interesting to see how CFG reacts as well. Vieira was likely to walk right in at Man City after Pep, but now it looks like Pep may stay longer than initially thought.

portu
04-20-2018, 01:04 PM
Wenger confirms his exit from Arsenal at the end of the EPL season. Vieira touted as his potential replacement, obviously creating major, potential repercussions for NYCFC.

What about Wenger coming the other way? The way he's run his club may be an indicator for a good fit in MLS. Any thoughts?

Pretty sure his opinion on MLS has almost always been negative

OgtheDim
04-20-2018, 02:34 PM
Two legends retire on the same day :)

https://twitter.com/marvwynne22/status/987397502130208769

ensco
04-20-2018, 04:32 PM
Mo Edu can't find a spot, now Marvell ... those guys will always have a special place for me.

sigh.

Red CB Toronto
04-20-2018, 04:43 PM
Mo Edu can't fund a spot, now Marvell ... those guys will always have a special place for me.

sigh.

Yep original Reds from that great ride that was the first season. Felt Marvel got a raw deal with the league in regards to his health at the end. Never understood how they could just stop paying him when he had a contract. Wish him all the best.

OgtheDim
04-26-2018, 01:13 PM
Loons beat reporter for the Athletic muses about conferences (not in the Athletic so no paywall)

https://ussoccerplayers.com/2018/04/when-will-mls-reconsider-the-conferences.html?platform=hootsuite

Yohan
04-27-2018, 08:47 AM
Seems quite a few Caps supporters are fed up and looking to hold a 'protest'.

OgtheDim
04-30-2018, 09:44 PM
Instructions found in this tweet - watching 20 minute condensed games, for free.

https://twitter.com/StatHunting/status/991111655080644608

Works on the app only

Still, if you want to watch the condensed games & cast it to your big screen, here's an option.

ensco
05-01-2018, 11:31 AM
Remi Garde publicly calling out multiple players, including Raheem Edwards, as having attitude problems. (Raheem apparently dealing with some off field stuff.)

Let’s trade a bag of balls and get him back. Free Raheem!

TFC Tifoso
05-01-2018, 11:57 AM
Remi Garde publicly calling out multiple players, including Raheem Edwards, as having attitude problems. (Raheem apparently dealing with some off field stuff.)

....or maybe the above is the reason why TFC wasn't too sad at leaving him exposed in the first place..."attitude problems" aren't things that just develop out of nowhere....

does anyone know what it is that he is dealing with?

fergiejr
05-01-2018, 12:12 PM
I'd have an attitude if you traded me to Montreal. It would not come out of nowhere, it would come out of 40 odd years of Leafs/Habs rivalry and 12 years of TFC/Impact rivalry. :scarf:

ScarboroughRed
05-01-2018, 12:50 PM
....or maybe the above is the reason why TFC wasn't too sad at leaving him exposed in the first place..."attitude problems" aren't things that just develop out of nowhere....

Might have a point, his minutes really dried up as the season went on and Vanney seemed upset a few times when Raheem came on. Especially in that Columbus away playoff game.

C.Ronaldo
05-01-2018, 01:40 PM
Might have a point, his minutes really dried up as the season went on and Vanney seemed upset a few times when Raheem came on. Especially in that Columbus away playoff game.

Raheem probably had a young guns attitude but I doubt it was anything MB couldn't eradicate out of him.

Plus vanney putting him on showed his trusted him enough, unfortunately he shat the bed out there.

He was an impact player at a young age, he had some bad games where D was first but I really think that was fixable

C.Ronaldo
05-01-2018, 01:44 PM
http://985fm.ca/nouvelles/sports/105637

translated
Edwards has trouble with the coach Rémi Garde and his team of coaches. He would have been involved in some rather lively discussions with them in recent weeks, making him a little used by the coach.

woolly
05-01-2018, 02:33 PM
According to that interview, he hasn't even traveled with the team and they must be hoping to shop him during before the window closes. What would we give up to have him back?

OgtheDim
05-01-2018, 03:50 PM
Not sure we need another LWB.

Speaking of meltdowns, Seattle supporters are not happy being told they are not big time anymore.

https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2018/04/30/lagerwey-seattles-time-being-biggest-spenders-mls-are-behind-them

ensco
05-01-2018, 04:01 PM
^Lagerwey must need to look like a careful custodian of the pursestrings for the USMNT GM gig. Otherwise why would he ever have said this?

ag futbol
05-01-2018, 04:05 PM

There are two sides to every coin. For every time i’ve seen a manager rightfully call out a guy for having an attitude problem i’ve seen another who was simply protecting his turf and creating a wall around his own shortcomings.

ensco
05-01-2018, 05:46 PM
Meanwhile, Ciman is tearing it up...

http://montrealgazette.com/sports/soccer/stu-cowan-sun-is-shining-on-laurent-ciman-with-los-angeles-fc

C.Ronaldo
05-02-2018, 09:12 AM
Meanwhile, Ciman is tearing it up...

http://montrealgazette.com/sports/soccer/stu-cowan-sun-is-shining-on-laurent-ciman-with-los-angeles-fc

he scored a GK blunder, i wouldn't go as far as saying hes on fire

still a great CB that I would love on this team but LA is hyping this up a bit too much.

How are the impact such a mess

ag futbol
05-02-2018, 10:23 AM
^ Sapputo has a difficult task at hand. The cookie cutter MLS play won’t work in that market.

That said, so many changes on that team appear to be about owner preference and not team needs. They have certainly made a mess of things.

Shame for Piatti, he’s consistently under appreciated due to the team he’s playing for.

fergiejr
05-02-2018, 10:59 AM
The Lee Nguyen saga is over: The New England Revolution traded the playmaker (https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2018/05/02/lafc-acquire-lee-nguyen-new-england-revolution-blockbuster-trade) to LAFC in a deadline deal that could potentially land the Revolution up to $950,000.

OgtheDim
05-02-2018, 12:00 PM
The structure of the deal makes it look better for NER then it actually is. They will get $750K of allocation for sure but the other $200K would only kick in if LAFC trade him in the summer window.

IMHO, a poor trade for LAFC - one of their forwards gets injured for a month & they spring for an AM?

Their need is for a real DM.

C.Ronaldo
05-02-2018, 12:04 PM
The Lee Nguyen saga is over: The New England Revolution traded the playmaker (https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2018/05/02/lafc-acquire-lee-nguyen-new-england-revolution-blockbuster-trade) to LAFC in a deadline deal that could potentially land the Revolution up to $950,000.

saga?

the saga of a goo player in a shit market or was there beef?

C.Ronaldo
05-02-2018, 12:05 PM
^ Sapputo has a difficult task at hand. The cookie cutter MLS play won’t work in that market.

That said, so many changes on that team appear to be about owner preference and not team needs. They have certainly made a mess of things.

Shame for Piatti, he’s consistently under appreciated due to the team he’s playing for.

I wanna know why piatti is still there and hasnt demanded a trade. what a quality player

fergiejr
05-02-2018, 01:01 PM
saga?

That was actually a quote from the trade tracker. So not my words... :-)

The Saga was that multiple teams were interested and making offers, and NER was not budging on what they needed.

But yeah, slow news day yesterday.

Canary10
05-02-2018, 01:03 PM
saga?

He asked to be traded and didn't initially attend training camp.

OgtheDim
05-02-2018, 01:25 PM
Nguyen asked to be traded before they brought in Friedal - he wanted out of there. Its a good trade for him. Nguyen gets to keep his slightly above the DP threshold salary and will play for a coach who respects offensive skills.

ensco
05-02-2018, 02:32 PM
LA has a huge Vietnamese community. It makes sense for him to go there (or maybe Houston, for same reason)

C.Ronaldo
05-02-2018, 02:36 PM
Nguyen asked to be traded before they brought in Friedal - he wanted out of there. Its a good trade for him. Nguyen gets to keep his slightly above the DP threshold salary and will play for a coach who respects offensive skills.

good for him, leave this shit owner

As an aside

Is Lee 300k better than Osorio?

C.Ronaldo
05-02-2018, 05:03 PM
There are two sides to every coin. For every time i’ve seen a manager rightfully call out a guy for having an attitude problem i’ve seen another who was simply protecting his turf and creating a wall around his own shortcomings.

“I have a lot of frustration with Raheem’s case,” Garde said. “His case is much different, I don’t know if he wants to say more about it. I think he has just gone through a very difficult period that was not really related to football, if I understand it well, and I hope we will find a Raheem completely invested in the group for the Impact.
“The group needs him, everybody likes him a lot here, but I think that he is someone who has to change his behavior and understand that professional football is a job with demands and a manner of carrying yourself. But it’s clear that we miss Raheem’s qualities, which we saw during the first two weeks.”

this seems more like something is up in his personal life but Garde expects personal life to be second to pro football

ag futbol
05-02-2018, 08:08 PM
this seems more like something is up in his personal life but Garde expects personal life to be second to pro football
This is the guy who just traded away his best defender for what are now non-performing assets, is third last in the east and dead last in MLS on goal differential. Also insisted playing Raheem on the right and didn’t really give him a shot in his natural position (could this be the point of contention?). Gotta tell the people something I guess...

It could be true, he may well be disfinctional. Certainly Vanney nailed both Raheem and Ricketts to the bench after some poor and immature play in the V’s cup last year. Players in this country have a lot to learn it appears when it comes to the sacrifice needed to excel as a pro. Osorio looks to have learned that in recent years and is much better for it. Feel like a lot of guys are content to roll the dice, say they showed up, and casually let their big chance go begging.

I’m just loathe to instantly take a Manager’s word no matter how casually honest it sounds.

Joe Kool
05-04-2018, 08:54 AM
Saw this on the MLS website https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2018/05/01/lafc-and-3252-independent-supporters-union-release-joint-statement

Maybe I am just old and out of the loop and I also didn't see the game they are referring to. What is the chant they are saying? I know Mexicans tend to yell "Puto" when there is a goal kick. Was that what they are talking about here?

OgtheDim
05-04-2018, 09:49 AM
Yes

The main umbrella supporter group didn't do it, doesn't condone it & is adament its not going to continue. LAG stamped it out, as did Atlanta - LAFC should be able to do the same thing.

(don't read the comments in that article - I'm getting all up in alt-right Nazi faces - I'm old enough that my parents were bombed by fascists - got no truck with the latest crop)

RealG-TFC
05-04-2018, 11:45 AM
So much fuss over a word, wow.

TFC1154ever
05-04-2018, 12:39 PM
So much fuss over a word, wow.

Thus the pc world we live in... everyone is effended by everything.

OgtheDim
05-04-2018, 01:14 PM
We've had this discussion before - there are significant reasons why this word is despised.

Here's a good discussion on it, pointing out that the chant is recent and a few other aspects.

http://www.unusualefforts.com/mexico-chant/

TFC1154ever
05-04-2018, 01:34 PM
A word is only as powerful as you allow it to be. I come from an immigrant family. I’ve heard words used along this line. It doesn’t bother me. My personal opinion is the world is becoming way to offended by way to many things. That’s just my opinion. That’s all I’ll say about that.

ensco
05-04-2018, 05:50 PM
The offensive goal kick chant was done by a large number of Chivas fans at our game in Guadalajara.

I was surprised, I thought it was dying off. Guess not.

DinamoTFC
05-05-2018, 11:33 AM
We've had this discussion before - there are significant reasons why this word is despised.

Here's a good discussion on it, pointing out that the chant is recent and a few other aspects.

http://www.unusualefforts.com/mexico-chant/

I read the article but it also made me a little more confused.

As much as I don't like the puto chant itself because it seems silly.

Supposedly there are many meanings for the word puto like the article suggests. The puto can mean many things like male prostitute, whore, homo, coward.

As the article suggests the word became popular in guadalajara in 2003 when fans used it to call a player who left their club for a rival club - a "coward".

So how can it be specifically labeled as homophobic? Could explain why it's become a challenge to eliminate if the chanters don't view it as homophobic.

OgtheDim
05-05-2018, 11:51 AM

And....both Edwards & Jackson-Hamel start today.

ensco
05-05-2018, 11:53 AM
And....both Edwards & Jackson-Hamel start today.

What on earth on they doing up there? Edwards is at forward in a 4-3-3!

Hamilton_Red
05-05-2018, 11:53 AM
Whitecaps shout "Fat Bastard" every time the opposing keeper takes a goal kick. Make them sound like a bunch of teenage schoolkids. I'd be embarrassed if my team did that...it's very very lame.

Puto...they are right to snuff that out fast. Offensive and at risk of tarnishing the league and sport.

DinamoTFC
05-05-2018, 12:02 PM
Whitecaps shout "Fat Bastard" every time the opposing keeper takes a goal kick. Make them sound like a bunch of teenage schoolkids. I'd be embarrassed if my team did that...it's very very lame.

Puto...they are right to snuff that out fast. Offensive and at risk of tarnishing the league and sport.

Similarily, there is a group of fans in 115 that sing a "douchebag" chant that last for about a minute or so using the name of every opposing goalkeeper at every home game when they are positioned near the south end.

wopchop
05-05-2018, 02:33 PM
Similarily, there is a group of fans in 115 that sing a "douchebag" chant that last for about a minute or so using the name of every opposing goalkeeper at every home game when they are positioned near the south end.
There is a group in 110 that does that too.

Carter
05-05-2018, 06:43 PM
I think it really depends on the context of the use of the noun “douchebag”, in the English language the term “douchebag” has 2 meanings. In North American language generally informal, it means “an obnoxious or contemptible person (typically used of a male)”

Context is important to understand in language, just look at the current attack ads on TV where as there is no context to the string on previous interviews have been strung together to make someone look stupid.

Similarly puto, we know what the vulgar meaning of the word is and 99% of the time it’s the intended use, but what if it was someone of Filipino decent using the word Puto, to them it’s a steamed rice cake...

Auzzy
05-05-2018, 07:00 PM
Similarly puto, we know what the vulgar meaning of the word is and 99% of the time it’s the intended use, but what if it was someone of Filipino decent using the word Puto, to them it’s a steamed rice cake...

Now that would be fun. When an opposing goalie kicks the ball out, we all scream "RICE CAKE"!

Carter
05-05-2018, 07:05 PM
Now that would be fun. When an opposing goalie kicks the ball out, we all scream "RICE CAKE"!
I agree, new south end chant!

nonc
05-05-2018, 07:28 PM
Beitashour scored yeah right.

Jackson-Hamel is pretty good he's gotten a bit of a raw deal not starting more. Mancosu is terrible.

OgtheDim
05-08-2018, 02:08 PM
This is not going to help the "retirment league" thing

https://twitter.com/SoccerInsider/status/993928030279041024

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Dcsm2sBU8AEWt5s.jpg

TFC1154ever
05-08-2018, 03:46 PM
Jozy our 4-6 weeks after getting bone fragments taken out of his foot during surgery.

Mavinga, Hagglund, and Zavaleta all could make an appearance in the next couple games this week.

Bono being targeted by Club Brugge in Belgium

C.Ronaldo
05-08-2018, 04:13 PM
This is not going to help the "retirment league" thing

https://twitter.com/SoccerInsider/status/993928030279041024

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Dcsm2sBU8AEWt5s.jpg

hes only 32, but mehh

Initial B
05-08-2018, 05:18 PM
I prefer him as a fisherman in the other nike ad. :)

DinamoTFC
05-08-2018, 10:17 PM
Looks like Nicolas Hasler's instagram got hacked and completely destroyed.

OgtheDim
05-10-2018, 11:24 AM
Really interesting look at the Fire's really bad contract with the Village of Bridgeview

https://socceresq.com/2018/05/09/stadium-lease-snapshot-bridgeview-and-the-chicago-fire-and-maybe-the-best-worst-lease-in-the-united-states/

In essence, the Fire are screwed for 20 more years.

OgtheDim
05-10-2018, 11:49 AM
MLS Salary Amounts For Individuals Out

https://mlsplayers.org/resources/salary-guide

portu
05-10-2018, 12:05 PM

Zero chance we have any TAM left with all the (unnecessary) raises we gave players

Voodooman
05-10-2018, 12:21 PM
Im astonished at Bono's salary though. The fact we are paying Akinola more than him is crazy

Hasler's was a healthy and deserved raise, Vazquez and Mavinga got significant raises.

Seeing Ager's salary makes me think we are going to see a lot more minutes from him for what we are paying him.

reggie
05-10-2018, 12:21 PM
bez put all his eggs in one basket to win ccl and we probs have nothing left for the summer

ag futbol
05-10-2018, 02:40 PM
That’s how much we are paying him? Yikes.

Captain
05-11-2018, 08:00 AM

My thoughts are that Irwin and Bono's salaries should be swapped, Aketxe is making way too much and Oso is making way too little.

C.Ronaldo
05-11-2018, 08:27 AM
ricketts also way too much, even based on last years performance

I expect him to be released at that salary. Good player for the CPL

Aketxe has an insane about of catching up to do at that salary

magmadragon
05-11-2018, 03:10 PM
I thought Aketxe was on like 750 and I was worried. Even worse. He's gonna have to get it going pretty fast to make this worth it.

noimpactinmtl
05-11-2018, 11:54 PM
The world famous Brek Shea whiff.

https://twitter.com/HoustonDynamo/status/995157399076986880 (https://twitter.com/HoustonDynamo/status/995157399076986880)

ensco
05-15-2018, 08:10 PM
Liga MX to San Antonio?

This is interesting on so many levels

https://www.expressnews.com/sports/columnists/roy-bragg/article/Join-the-LigaMX-to-San-Antonio-bandwagon-12905236.php

OgtheDim
05-16-2018, 06:10 AM
Soooooo many blowhards in sports columnist land. FIFA ain't going to do this.

The more interesting bit is how much Garber has pissed off one of the most stable NBA ownership groups to keep Precourt happy. I get the feeling Precourt's Dad is golf buddies with Kraft.

Red CB Toronto
05-16-2018, 07:54 AM
Liga MX to San Antonio?

https://www.expressnews.com/sports/columnists/roy-bragg/article/Join-the-LigaMX-to-San-Antonio-bandwagon-12905236.php

Interesting and makes a lot of sense on many levels but wonder what the USSF would have to say on the matter?

fergiejr
05-16-2018, 08:09 AM
Liga MX to San Antonio?

Wow. Not a lot of meat in the article, lots of bile spewed toward MLS. I think this guy has an axe to grind...

If this were to come to bear, would the Liga MX guys all have to get working VISAs in order to play games in San Antonio? I am not sure how this works. I get it that you have to get a VISA (or some kind of papers) to play for a team in their home country, but what about travelling to another country to play there?

Red CB Toronto
05-16-2018, 08:56 AM
Wow. Not a lot of meat in the article, lots of bile spewed toward MLS. I think this guy has an axe to grind...

If this were to come to bear, would the Liga MX guys all have to get working VISAs in order to play games in San Antonio? I am not sure how this works. I get it that you have to get a VISA (or some kind of papers) to play for a team in their home country, but what about travelling to another country to play there?

Think of it as an MLS team in Canada, for all the American and international players you have to get them a visa to work in Canada and in some cases additional paperwork for some to enter the US. Also I could see many of the top US players in Lig MX and beyond being attracted to such a situation of being able to play in the league while having the comfortable of being in the US.

ensco
05-16-2018, 09:01 AM
I have no idea how real this is, but it makes a ton of sense to me ...

I suspect that anger towards MLS in San Antonio is very real. This is serious business, and it seems like Garber/Abbott change the expansion rules every five minutes.

I suspect that Liga MX sees these MLS expansion fees, and gets stars in their eyes. Don't forget, Liga MX TV ratings in the US are 5x those of MLS.

MLS has tried repeatedly and failed repeatedly to win the hispanic market in the US. It is a huge underserved market. Maybe it is time to try something different.

How is Liga MX in San Antonio that much different than MLS in Toronto, or Swansea in the EPL, or Wellington in the A League, or Vaduz in the Swiss League...?

These situations are popping up everywhere. Someday Celtic and Rangers will go into the English setup.
https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football/3751078/premier-league-celtic-rangers/

The USSF, Concacaf and FIFA will just follow the dough ray me, in the end. There is no big universal point of principle here. Many in the USSF would be thrilled, they are not interested in waiting 25 years for MLS to reach parity with Mexico, they want a better standard of game for USMNT players now.

OgtheDim
05-16-2018, 09:02 AM
The difference being CSA is Ok with teams in MLS. USSF isn't going to support this. FIFA is not going to go against that for the sake of LigaMx.

As for Celtic Rangers - both the SFA & the EFA have said never. If the national football governing body doesn't want it, it doesn't happen.

WAAAY more likely - MLS & Liga MX merge in 20 years

ensco
05-16-2018, 09:20 AM
Disagree re nature of USSF/MLS relationship. MLS and USSF are not such natural allies, there are many in USSF who hate how this has evolved. It's all about SUM, which binds them like blood brothers. USSF is a tainted entity with little public support.

There are multiple legal challenges to that setup, if one of those succeeds, all hell breaks loose.

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/major-league-soccer-promotion-relegation-usa-mls-la-galaxy-close-shop-a8237506.html

It's not that farfetched.

I agree re MLS and Liga MX merger endgame. The top 10 teams in both leagues would be much better off playing each other a lot more, than playing Queretaro or Colorado.

fergiejr
05-16-2018, 09:24 AM
I wonder what foothold Liga MX would have in San Antonio though. The article suggests that there are a lot of Mexican nationals in San Antonio. If they were already Liga MX fans, would they dump their current team for the San Antonio Liga MX team? Maybe some would, but I would bet the majority would not. Just a thought.

OgtheDim
05-24-2018, 05:02 PM
DAZN announced today they have the exclusive TV rights for UEFA Champions League & the Europa League for the next 3 seasons. They will not be sharing with anybody. i.e. No TSN or Sportsnet. Every single game once it reaches the group stage will be available only via streaming on DAZN. They now have La Liga, Seria A, the English Championship, Ligue Une & now all of UEFA.

I think its only a matter of time until TSN decides to separate its streaming service and put TFC on there (like ESPN+).

wopchop
05-24-2018, 07:12 PM
DAZN announced today they have the exclusive TV rights for UEFA Champions League & the Europa League for the next 3 seasons. They will not be sharing with anybody. i.e. No TSN or Sportsnet. Every single game once it reaches the group stage will be available only via streaming on DAZN. They now have La Liga, Seria A, the English Championship, Ligue Une & now all of UEFA.

I think its only a matter of time until TSN decides to separate its streaming service and put TFC on there (like ESPN+).
Wow
Great news for subscribers. But what does this mean for broadcast on television? I'm guessing that it is only streaming rights?

I am loving DAZN. Got it at the start of this past season of Serie A / La Liga. The quality is rock solid.

OgtheDim
05-24-2018, 07:51 PM
They have the exclusive Canadian broadcast rights. No broadcast on TV.

Captain
05-24-2018, 10:13 PM
How much does DAZN cost? And since its streaming does that mean you can only watch it on the computer?

Auzzy
05-24-2018, 11:46 PM
How much does DAZN cost? And since its streaming does that mean you can only watch it on the computer?

I have it, I think I paid about $120 for 13 months. Plus a month free because the first NFL broadcast had some problems (for me it was fine). In addition to computers, there are apps for phones, smart tvs & other streaming systems. For example I mostly watch it on my LG TV.

sidvan
05-25-2018, 07:37 AM
I have it, I think I paid about $120 for 13 months. Plus a month free because the first NFL broadcast had some problems (for me it was fine). In addition to computers, there are apps for phones, smart tvs & other streaming systems. For example I mostly watch it on my LG TV.
Same here - I just cast from my laptop or phone to the big screen and watch from there. It has been good since I picked it up in January.

Areathrasher
05-25-2018, 08:17 AM

I watch it on my TV through my Playstation. They have an app in the playstation store. It's excellent imo.

C.Ronaldo
05-25-2018, 08:50 AM
https://my.dazn.com/help/how-to-watch-dazn-on-amazon-fire-tv-fire-tv-stick

TFC Tifoso
05-25-2018, 08:53 AM

who is your provider, if I can ask? Is it one of Bell or Rogers??

ensco
05-25-2018, 08:59 AM
I watch DAZN with Apple TV, and on my iPad. It works great, and is a must have. There is some interesting soccer on there, not just every game in Serie A and Ligue Un, but lots of English Championship and full J League.

This is amusing. Bell/Rogers bought MLSE to stop any new entrant from ever doing this, figuring that, without any access to hockey, basketball or baseball, this could never work.

But they were wrong, these DAZN guys are simply assembling everything interesting beyond the big three local sports, and given fragmentation, that is a pretty interesting play! If they ever get the Premier League rights, watch out.

This is why Rogers are openly musing about selling their sports businesses.

Mike_S
05-25-2018, 10:02 AM
^^ That is interesting if that's the case, although with the presence of Netflix in Canada for films and TV shows, perhaps they should have seen it coming.

I was reading on Twitter yesterday speculation that the rights fees must not be that rich for DAZN to swoop in like this. As the fees are never disclosed, I guess we can never say for sure, but I wonder if it's that, or simply that DAZN is backed by big money. They are already in Germany and Japan, as we know MUCH bigger markets than Canada. Will be entering the US in the fall with boxing being the big enticement, I believe.

Anyhoo, I'm betting that when this CONCACAF/UEFA etc. Nations League starts off in September, DAZN will be in on that too...

Cas87
05-25-2018, 10:22 AM
^^ That is interesting if that's the case, although with the presence of Netflix in Canada for films and TV shows, perhaps they should have seen it coming.

I was reading on Twitter yesterday speculation that the rights fees must not be that rich for DAZN to swoop in like this. As the fees are never disclosed, I guess we can never say for sure, but I wonder if it's that, or simply that DAZN is backed by big money. They are already in Germany and Japan, as we know MUCH bigger markets than Canada. Will be entering the US in the fall with boxing being the big enticement, I believe.

Anyhoo, I'm betting that when this CONCACAF/UEFA etc. Nations League starts off in September, DAZN will be in on that too...

The CONCACAF Nations League may already be under TSN's deal that they signed last year (i believe)? But we will find out for sure.

wopchop
05-25-2018, 02:03 PM
They have the exclusive Canadian broadcast rights. No broadcast on TV.
That's huge.

I was just reading some tweets (https://twitter.com/Fussball_eh/status/999735283229732864?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw&ref_url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.bigsoccer.com%2Fthreads%2 Fcanadian-premier-league.2028798%2Fpage-64) that they are looking at delivering DAZN to bars / restaurants

The only option remaining for people to watch on TV would be to have BeIn as part of their cable package.

TFC Tifoso
05-25-2018, 02:22 PM
That's huge.

I was just reading some tweets (https://twitter.com/Fussball_eh/status/999735283229732864?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw&ref_url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.bigsoccer.com%2Fthreads%2 Fcanadian-premier-league.2028798%2Fpage-64) that they are looking at delivering DAZN to bars / restaurants

The only option remaining for people to watch on TV would be to have BeIn as part of their cable package.

that would be a good idea.....or at the very least DAZN could sell their broadcast to networks.
I know that they are already doing this for the upcoming NFL season; they will be allowing Sunday Ticket to broadcast on TV.

Regardless of convenience, etc., nothing beats the quality of a live direct TV broadcast imo....

SoccMan2
05-27-2018, 10:18 AM
Don’t know if it’s been posted yet but a major announcement is coming this Tuesday in Cincinnati a big press conference is being set regarding Cincinnati and MLS, looks like Cincinnati will be announced as an MLS expansion team. Moreover , they are saying they will start next season. A new soccer stadium has more or less been approved but they will play next season where they have been playing the pst few seasons at Nippert Stadium which fits about 30000 and where Cincinnati has been averaging around 24000 more or less a game the past few seasons playing in the USL. I’ve seen highlights of Cincinnati playing at Nippert Stadium with their big crowds and I must say Nippert Stadium looks like a great place to watch a soccer game even if it was built for the other version of football. Cincinnati really diserves an MLS team with their amazing crowds they have been getting playing in the USL getting crowds better than a lot of MLS teams, and it will be a great place for a road game much better than Columbus especially going into a jammed packed stadium instead of Columbus where whenever I’ve gone the place was always empty.

OgtheDim
05-27-2018, 05:15 PM
The name though

Fussbal Club Cincinnati

I get there is a LONG history of German soccer in both Canada & the US, going back over 100 years but most people won't have a clue. At least give it an umlaut.

PizzaEatingYeti
05-28-2018, 02:41 AM
The name though

Fussbal Club Cincinnati

I get there is a LONG history of German soccer in both Canada & the US, going back over 100 years but most people won't have a clue. At least give it an umlaut.

If that name will stay, man... that's an incredibly bad name for a MLS club. :facepalm:
Seriously, something worst than that can be just something like "Cincinnati Donald Ducks".

Auzzy
05-28-2018, 05:49 AM
who is your provider, if I can ask? Is it one of Bell or Rogers??

I'm with start.ca cable Internet service, last mile via Rogers.

Auzzy
05-28-2018, 05:58 AM
The name though

Fussbal Club Cincinnati

A couple of things. Luckily Cincinnati doesn't spell it Fussbal Club, that would be embarrassing, it's Fussball. Why umlaut? That doesn't fit.

I don't know if it's a great idea either. But 90% will just know it as FC Cincinnati which almost everyone will understand. The "insiders" can get into the oddity of the full name.

ensco
05-28-2018, 06:54 AM
It’s only because we are used to it that we never think about Real Salt Lake, the unattainable gold standard of absurdity.

(The Utah Jazz being the second dumbest name in sports.)

Oldtimer
05-28-2018, 07:26 AM
It’s only because we are used to it that we never think about Real Salt Lake, the unattainable gold standard of absurdity.

(The Utah Jazz being the second dumbest name in sports.)

How about a hockey team being Ducks? Disney's fault, and one of the worst team names ever.

Voodooman
05-28-2018, 07:55 AM
How about a hockey team being Ducks? Disney's fault, and one of the worst team names ever.

See Im not against this one. I kind of liked when it was the Mighty Ducks. It rolled off the tongue well.

However, the NBA does have some terrible ones. The Pelicans? I'll even give shots at the Lakers.

ensco
05-28-2018, 08:39 AM
^Raptors are also right up there.

My personal favourite was a short lived WHA team of my youth, the Miami Screaming Eagles.

OgtheDim
05-28-2018, 09:05 AM
Rumour at the time was the poll of fans wanted the Toronto Dragons but Bitove wanted something more trendy.

Mike_S
05-28-2018, 09:29 AM
The name though

Fussbal Club Cincinnati

Fun fact: Cincinnati plays host to biggest Okterberfest festival in the US. So more specifically, it's perhaps Cincinnati's historically large German-American population that is playing a role here.

Mike_S
05-28-2018, 09:33 AM
Rumour at the time was the poll of fans wanted the Toronto Dragons but Bitove wanted something more trendy.

Yes, I remember those polls!! The best one: the Globe And Mail poll with most popular name turning out to be the Toronto - ahem - Beavers. :facepalm::D

TFC Tifoso
05-28-2018, 09:35 AM
I'm with start.ca cable Internet service, last mile via Rogers.

Ok reason I ask is because it seems as though everyone who isn't with Bell/Rogers have no problems with DAZN, and only people who are with them do....
Now, a couple of months ago when we were having another DAZN discussion, someone here presented a theory that the big 2 may have somehow been purposely messing up the speed that their streams came through.
Pretty sure there would be some serious legal implications if this was true, but it makes you think....a little....

notthesun
05-28-2018, 03:27 PM
Team and staff got their championship rings today

https://twitter.com/WakingtheRed/status/1001195526585335808

https://twitter.com/Chris_Mavinga/status/1001195007003504645

https://twitter.com/devinpleuler/status/1001193233051979776

OgtheDim
05-28-2018, 04:06 PM
Bono starts for the USMNT B+ team tonight against the Bolivian C team.

DinamoTFC
05-29-2018, 09:27 PM
It's official. FC Cincinnati is the newest expansion team and will begin MLS play in 2019. To play at Nippert stadium until 2021 when their own stadium is complete. No word if there will be expansion draft or not. Hopefully not since they already have a decent usl team.

Joe Kool
05-29-2018, 11:35 PM
It's official. FC Cincinnati is the newest expansion team and will begin MLS play in 2019. To play at Nippert stadium until 2021 when their own stadium is complete. No word if there will be expansion draft or not. Hopefully not since they already have a decent usl team.

I am sure there will be another friggin expansion draft. They won’t want to miss the opportunity to possibly get a couple MLS upgrades to their USL roster.

Blindside16
05-29-2018, 11:38 PM

I am almost certain they will. Don't forget Minnesota had a decent USL team and they took part in an expansion draft.

Canuck82
05-30-2018, 11:20 AM
What will be interesting will be where they fit in conference wise for the upcoming season. Obviously for 2019, Cincinnati will be in the East, however based on Garber's comments at the FCC launch yesterday, Columbus is as good as gone for Austin at the end of the season - which "should" shift them to the West to join the other Texas based teams. I wonder if MLS would keep the Austin Crew in the East for 2019 and move them to the West when Miami and Nashville join in 2020 - who would both be Eastern teams?

Initial B
05-30-2018, 12:01 PM
We don't know that the Crew are gone yet. What I do know is that if the Crew stay, then Detroit will not be getting a franchise.

ensco
05-30-2018, 01:07 PM
Chicago will need to go to the west as part of this I think.

That makes the most long run sense, put them with Minnesota and KC, plus RSL and Colorado need them more than DCU or NYRB (or whoever you think their eastern “rivals are) do

OgtheDim
05-30-2018, 01:41 PM
I'm pretty sure Cinci & Nashville will be together & Nashville vs. Atlanta is a southern natural rivalry.

Redcoe15
05-30-2018, 04:00 PM
We don't know that the Crew are gone yet. What I do know is that if the Crew stay, then Detroit will not be getting a franchise.
And, if that's the case, then they'll have nobody to blame but themselves for insisting Ford Field would be a viable stadium for MLS. If they had stuck with building an MLS friendly stadium of 20,000-25,000 on the old proposed downtown jail site, they would have been given an expansion franchise long by now. Having a shit ton full of money in ownership behind you, with Gilbert, Gores, and the Ford family, doesn't mean Jack Fucking Squat if you don't have a stadium plan to MLS's liking. And Ford Field ain't it!

Oldtimer
05-30-2018, 05:27 PM
TFC's championship rings are beautiful:

https://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/mlse-goes-toronto-fc-championship-rings/sn-amp/

ensco
05-30-2018, 07:03 PM
795 rings!

I feel like I deserve one, if there are that many out there. :stogey::stogey:

ryan
05-31-2018, 04:46 PM
Haven't taken mine off since I got it. About 170 diamonds short tho :o

OgtheDim
06-08-2018, 02:24 PM
TSN finally bites into the on demand service option.

$24.99 a month

https://www.bellmedia.ca/pr/press/theres-a-new-way-to-get-tsn-and-rds-as-canadas-most-watched-sports-networks-introduce-digital-subscriptions/

The next step is streaming only programming -they'll go there once they see if ESPN + is working out.

ensco
06-10-2018, 06:14 PM
Vieira and entire staff leave NYCFC for Nice.
https://www.mancity.com/news/first-team/first-team-news/2018/june/patrick-vieira-nycfc-nice-leaving

Garber can’t be too pleased by this.

Oldtimer
06-10-2018, 07:28 PM
Vieira and entire staff leave NYCFC for Nice.
https://www.mancity.com/news/first-team/first-team-news/2018/june/patrick-vieira-nycfc-nice-leaving

Garber can’t be too pleased by this.

Link broken, but here is a Goal article: https://www.google.ca/amp/www.goal.com/en/amp/news/patrick-vieira-nice-ligue-1-manchester-city/92xsla0dj6991egfbm9spdlv5

As an OGC Nice fan, I'm happy to see this. As a TFC supporter I'm really happy to see this.

OgtheDim
06-10-2018, 07:39 PM
Man city put it out first.

Then Man City pulled the article.

Still nothing out by NYC or Nice officially.

Seems somebody in Manchester got ahead of themselves.

ensco
06-10-2018, 10:16 PM
Nice hire!

Initial B
06-11-2018, 07:11 AM
Man city put it out first.

Then Man City pulled the article.

Still nothing out by NYC or Nice officially.

Seems somebody in Manchester got ahead of themselves.
But Doyle still has the link in his Week 15 analysis article, but it's broken now. I saw and read it last night. Other than that, nary a peep from the MLS sides. I don't think Garber wants MLS to be seen as a training league...

OgtheDim
06-11-2018, 08:25 AM
More then Garber - there was a right royal dust up on twitter about this coming from Man City first. Pigeon fans were ticked.

Announcement out this morning via NYC.

ensco
06-11-2018, 10:49 AM
If it was just Vieira, that's life, but I think the fact that the whole training staff is cleaned out midseason is a major embarassment for the league.

I can't believe Garber couldn’t stop that.

Areathrasher
06-11-2018, 11:01 AM
If it was just Vieira, that's life, but I think the fact that the whole training staff is cleaned out midseason is a major embarassment for the league.

I can't believe Garber couldn’t stop that.

Why?

It's pretty much standard practice that the guy leaving takes his staff with him and the guy coming in appoints his own.

It'll just be another group of CFG employees coming in regardless

Oldtimer
06-11-2018, 11:11 AM
Nice hire!

Lol. Actually, if you ever go to Nice, they often make word puns with the English word "nice," although the name is actually related to "Nike," (the Greek word for "victory").

It actually is a very good hire for them. They need to do a little better to qualify for continental play.

For TFC, chaos at NYCFC eliminates a potential competitor.

Areathrasher
06-11-2018, 11:36 AM
Pep's assistant takes over

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DfbHmELWkAAGPJ4.jpg

ensco
06-11-2018, 11:44 AM
Why?

It's pretty much standard practice that the guy leaving takes his staff with him and the guy coming in appoints his own.

I don’t think this is true when the manager quits midseason.

Initial B
06-11-2018, 11:46 AM
^ Well, for the leagues that matter, it's offseason.

Areathrasher
06-11-2018, 12:44 PM

Not a lot of managers go directly from one team to another midseason. Its get the sack, free agent for a bit then pick up another job.

OgtheDim
06-11-2018, 03:00 PM
Now this is interesting

https://twitter.com/JSportsnet/status/1006259660695928832

ag futbol
06-11-2018, 03:11 PM
So before the new guy shows up and gets his work permit, how about David Villa as player / manager? It works in men’s league, lol

OgtheDim
06-11-2018, 03:32 PM
NYC's next game is June 24th against us.

molenshtain
06-11-2018, 03:38 PM
Do you think they told him what they're stadium looks like before they hired him? I wouldn't.

Captain
06-13-2018, 06:05 AM
Looks like we will get an expansion to BMO. World Cup is coming to Toronto.

OgtheDim
06-13-2018, 08:14 AM
40k stadium probably means TFC keeps a damper on the ticket prices long term.

ag futbol
06-13-2018, 09:17 AM
40k stadium probably means TFC keeps a damper on the ticket prices long term.
Good news all around! Very healthy for the team. Keeping this mass-appeal and not a ticket scarcity play is the best alternative.

OgtheDim
06-15-2018, 03:00 PM
Happened while we were all watching Spain vs. Portugal - timed to come out right as the game ended.

https://twitter.com/thegoalkeeper/status/1007712922724913155

woolly
06-15-2018, 03:12 PM
Wow,

Looks like some serious shakeup in MLS coaching

OgtheDim
06-15-2018, 03:29 PM
3.5 seasons - now looking for their 3rd coach. Waaay too much impatience down there. They bought a team to win this year but didn't consider defence.

Orlando will continue to fall down the East until they fix that.

molenshtain
06-15-2018, 04:10 PM
They must have someone lined up who they think is too good to pass up. I can't really see an explanation for this otherwise. Being Orlando though I don't have much confidence.

ensco
06-15-2018, 05:12 PM
Ryan Telfer got Kreis fired.

NK Toronto
06-15-2018, 10:19 PM
Currently TFC has the highest payroll in MLS. However what happens to their budget if they miss the playoffs and lose out on the additional revenue from multiple home playoff gates? Does MLSE reduce their budget for player salaries? Bell has a vested interest in seeing the club do well as they hold the broadcast TV rights for MLS games. What about Roger's however? As a 37.5% shareholder in MLSE will they want the club to reduce their operating expenses, including the money spent on player salaries? Roger's has demonstrated an unwillingness to have the Jays spend money on free agents the way several other big market MLB teams do. Recently there was even speculation that the Jay's may be up for sale as the team is not part of the company's core business operations as a cell phone and communications company.

I am curious as to what others think may happen to the club budget after this season.

Redcoe15
06-16-2018, 04:45 AM
Getting the shit kicked out of you by Montreal will do that. :lol:

Oldtimer
06-16-2018, 07:32 AM
3.5 seasons - now looking for their 3rd coach. Waaay too much impatience down there. They bought a team to win this year but didn't consider defence.

Orlando will continue to fall down the East until they fix that.

We know from experience that constantly switching coaches doesn't make a team win.

Oldtimer
06-16-2018, 07:38 AM
TSN finally bites into the on demand service option.

$24.99 a month

https://www.bellmedia.ca/pr/press/theres-a-new-way-to-get-tsn-and-rds-as-canadas-most-watched-sports-networks-introduce-digital-subscriptions/

The next step is streaming only programming -they'll go there once they see if ESPN + is working out.

Thanks for mentioning this. I'm using it to stream the World Cup. Excellent streaming quality.

Oldtimer
06-16-2018, 07:42 AM
Currently TFC has the highest payroll in MLS. However what happens to their budget if they miss the playoffs and lose out on the additional revenue from multiple home playoff gates? Does MLSE reduce their budget for player salaries? Bell has a vested interest in seeing the club do well as they hold the broadcast TV rights for MLS games. What about Roger's however? As a 37.5% shareholder in MLSE will they want the club to reduce their operating expenses, including the money spent on player salaries? Roger's has demonstrated an unwillingness to have the Jays spend money on free agents the way several other big market MLB teams do. Recently there was even speculation that the Jay's may be up for sale as the team is not part of the company's core business operations as a cell phone and communications company.

I am curious as to what others think may happen to the club budget after this season.

I don't see any change, tbh. As far as spending goes, Larry T plus Bell outvote Rogers on the MLSE board. If Rogers wants out, they will sell their stake in MLSE instead of trying to convince those two to cut back.

Initial B
06-16-2018, 12:54 PM
Happened while we were all watching Spain vs. Portugal - timed to come out right as the game ended.

https://twitter.com/thegoalkeeper/status/1007712922724913155
And just for giggles, remember this thread?
http://forums.redpatchboys.ca/showthread.php?38463-Vanney-Poll&highlight=Kreis
I wonder what the poll would say now?

OgtheDim
06-16-2018, 07:18 PM
Rumour is Orlando want Scolari

No patience what so ever.

Canary10
06-16-2018, 07:48 PM
Rumour is Orlando want Scolari

No patience what so ever.

Wow that whole thing was really buried on a Friday when no one was paying attention to MLS. Kreis has kinda bombed out of two teams now post-RSL. Might be a lesson there for coaches who are looking for greener grass. That said, you’re right about Orlando’s patience. They have many of the hallmarks of early TFC I’d say.

Auzzy
06-16-2018, 09:16 PM
Wow that whole thing was really buried on a Friday when no one was paying attention to MLS. Kreis has kinda bombed out of two teams now post-RSL. Might be a lesson there for coaches who are looking for greener grass. That said, you’re right about Orlando’s patience. They have many of the hallmarks of early TFC I’d say.

Orlando started off better than TFC. They seemed to have promise at the beginning, but have been trending steadily downward. The coaching turnover is not helping, and they definitely seem to be heading further in the direction of early TFC.

Canary10
06-16-2018, 09:30 PM
Orlando started off better than TFC. They seemed to have promise at the beginning, but have been trending steadily downward. The coaching turnover is not helping, and they definitely seem to be heading further in the direction of early TFC.

I really don’t think Orlando will make the playoffs again this year. Have to say, I really like Yoshi Yotun though.

Redcoe15
06-17-2018, 08:36 AM
One wonders what this will do to attendance down there. I can see their stadium being half full if this instability of theirs continues.

Defoe
06-18-2018, 12:52 PM
And they lost Larin. Larin with 4 goals in 4 games for Bestikas. He's accomplished more then Altidore's entire euro career (I don't consider Jozy lighting up the Everdise as real euro success)

molenshtain
06-18-2018, 01:00 PM
And they lost Larin. Larin with 4 goals in 4 games for Bestikas. He's accomplished more then Altidore's entire euro career (I don't consider Jozy lighting up the Everdise as real euro success)

scoring 4 goals across two games against bottom feeder Turkish teams is in what way more impressive than what Altidore did?

Areathrasher
06-18-2018, 01:24 PM

I've read some god awful shite on this site over the years but this is right up there with the worst.

ensco
06-18-2018, 08:03 PM
I've read some god awful shite on this site over the years but this is right up there with the worst.

Yeah. 31 goals in a season in Holland ... it's like Altidore wasn’t even trying.

OgtheDim
06-20-2018, 10:08 AM
For those wondering what Jozy does, a decent article by Platt (free to read)

https://tfcreport.com/2018/06/20/jozy-altidore-toronto-fc-injury/

OgtheDim
06-29-2018, 12:10 PM
Orlando goes with an ex assistant who has done well in USL.

Not the move I expected.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_O%27Connor_(footballer,_born_1979)

https://www.louisvillecityfc.com/news_article/show/930764

Yohan
07-06-2018, 12:57 PM
https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2018/07/06/jesse-marsch-departs-new-york-red-bulls-chris-armas-named-head-coach

Jesse Marsch leaves NYRB. Probably to rumoured caretaker job at RB Leipzig

Chris Armas takes over as new NYRB coach

notthesun
07-12-2018, 12:09 PM
Liam Fraser is on the MLS Homegrown team for All-Star festivities, they are playing Tigres UANL's U20 team.

OgtheDim
07-12-2018, 01:17 PM
Tenorio does a good article on Michael Bradley.

Its on the Athletic so paywalled.

https://theathletic.com/429604/2018/07/12/watching-the-world-cup-with-michael-bradley/

FootBallAZ
07-12-2018, 02:30 PM
Tenorio does a good article on Michael Bradley.

Its on the Athletic so paywalled.

https://theathletic.com/429604/2018/07/12/watching-the-world-cup-with-michael-bradley/

unable to access article, anyone care to share bits of the article please?

OgtheDim
07-12-2018, 02:50 PM
He does a day with him.

Family

thoughts of his wife on things
lunch
memories of USMNT failure
watching early round games
coaching his 5 year old
esspresso run & a discussion with a local who he met there & happens to be a fan who was also in Atlanta last year

To me, the Athletic is worth my $50 a year - some really good writers there now.

Detroit_TFC
07-13-2018, 03:25 PM
The Atlantic is crushing it here in Detroit with their local bureau beat writers. Really some of the best sports writing I've seen.

edit: of course that should be "Atlethic" not "Atlantic"

OgtheDim
07-24-2018, 11:31 AM
Paywalled again because its the Atlantic but this is a really good interview with the Loons owner. https://theathletic.com/442516/2018/07/24/exclusive-bill-mcguire-minnesota-united-future-allianz-field-promotion-relegation-interview/

Guy started watching soccer in 2012. Watches lots of league to see what fans do & teams do to compete - name checks Galatasary.

ag futbol
07-24-2018, 12:29 PM
Done deal:

Kristian Jack
Kristian Jack
@KristianJack
Alphonso Davies to Bayern Munich is a done deal. Fee is around 13 million euros with substantial add ons that could make the entire package worth a record $20 million. Davies will remain with the Whitecaps for the rest of the season.

notthesun
07-24-2018, 01:03 PM
Pretty amazing, definitely a landmark moment in Canadian soccer. Hopefully the kid can live up to the hype.

magmadragon
07-24-2018, 03:03 PM
I really hope we find some other kids like him in this country. One day I hope the days of guys picking ancestral homelands is behind us. We've lost far too many over the years to other teams.

Hamilton_Red
07-24-2018, 04:35 PM
I think that Osorio is in a similar class to Davies. Alphonso has the potential to replace Arjen Robben..he is that good. Osorio has achieved a whole lot more than Davies..has had a season better than anything that Davies has produced. There really should be a pile of European teams looking to sign him.

notthesun
07-24-2018, 06:08 PM
I think that Osorio is in a similar class to Davies. Alphonso has the potential to replace Arjen Robben..he is that good. Osorio has achieved a whole lot more than Davies..has had a season better than anything that Davies has produced. There really should be a pile of European teams looking to sign him.

I love Osorio but Davies is 17 dude. What he's doing at that age is unprecedented in MLS.

mr k
07-24-2018, 08:06 PM
Oso is 10 years too old. Oso was also not doing what Davies is doing at 15, 16 or 17.

This is a long term buy for Bayern. Key player in 3-5 years. Possibly sell off to top 4 EPL or la Liga team if Davies becomes a superstar.

Earlier this year, German journalist Christoph Biermann published a book titled Matchplan. In it, Biermann pointed out that Davies was, statistically, the most likely prospect in the world to become a superstar in the mold of Cristiano Ronaldo and Lionel Messi. The book was a major success in Germany and put Davies on the map among clubs in the Bundesliga.

Redcoe15
07-24-2018, 08:10 PM
God, let's hope Canadian soccer develops the talent that can surround Davies for the CMNT in international play.

Detroit_TFC
07-25-2018, 10:12 AM
Oso is 10 years too old. Oso was also not doing what Davies is doing at 15, 16 or 17.

This is a long term buy for Bayern. Key player in 3-5 years. Possibly sell off to top 4 EPL or la Liga team if Davies becomes a superstar.

Earlier this year, German journalist Christoph Biermann published a book titled Matchplan. In it, Biermann pointed out that Davies was, statistically, the most likely prospect in the world to become a superstar in the mold of Cristiano Ronaldo and Lionel Messi. The book was a major success in Germany and put Davies on the map among clubs in the Bundesliga.

Interesting. Bayern M, among others, has significantly stepped up commercial and scouting activity in North America in the last few years. They have made a strategic commitment. That's good news for young players, knowing that chances they will get noticed are improving.

OgtheDim
07-26-2018, 06:35 AM
The TFC August schedule

4th - @ Atlanta
8th - @ Vancouver
12th - vs. NYCFC
15th - vs. Vancouver
18th @ SJE
25th vs. Montreal
29th @ Portland

3 west coast road trips in 3 weeks.

ensco
07-26-2018, 06:54 AM

It doesn’t work this way. It isn’t about what you've done, it's about your ceiling, and your age.

At 26, Oso almost certainly is what he is. Davies, who knows?

Gringo Starr
07-26-2018, 08:03 AM
The TFC August schedule

4th - @ Atlanta
8th - @ Vancouver
12th - vs. NYCFC
15th - vs. Vancouver
18th @ SJE
25th vs. Montreal
29th @ Portland

3 west coast road trips in 3 weeks.

the schedule didn't seem that bad but now with the VC games added in its downright ugly, not just the 3 trips but the compression as well. Wish we could flip the order of the vancouver games

Red CB Toronto
07-26-2018, 08:42 AM
the schedule didn't seem that bad but now with the VC games added in its downright ugly, not just the 3 trips but the compression as well. Wish we could flip the order of the vancouver games

Yeah with those three west coast trips we are really going to see some squad rotation for sure.

kuku
07-26-2018, 01:14 PM
The Circus that surrounds the Impact:

French striker Jimmy Briand will not join the Montreal Impact as it was originally planned. Briand did not want to sign the MLS contract according to the terms negotiated and accepted by himself and his agent. Important additional requests by the Briand side at the last minute made the signing fall through. The Impact now directs its efforts towards other players to continue to improve the squad before the end of the international transfer window.

notthesun
07-26-2018, 01:41 PM
^ Shades of us with Tal Ben Haim.

This is why you don't announce acquisitions before the player has actually put pen to paper.

GerMc
07-26-2018, 02:30 PM
Posted this in a CPL Forum, but think it is worth cross-posting here as well. You didn't always agree with Kurt (especially when he veered off into political discussions!), but along with John Molinaro, I think he was one of the most prolific TFC writers...I enjoyed his analysis and while I think he will be an interesting addition to the CPL, I will miss his coverage:

Kurt Larson‏ @KurtLarsonCPL (https://twitter.com/KurtLarsonCPL) 2h2 hours ago (https://twitter.com/KurtLarsonCPL/status/1022527770105184257)More

Some exciting personal news to share:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DjC_f4KWwAEJ8hs.jpg

ensco
07-26-2018, 02:52 PM
Is Joe Bendik going with him?

______

Seriously.... he was one of the few on the beat when TFC sucked, so he deserves real appreciation for sticking with it. Also I think all journos are facing some hard facts about the long-term outlook for that profession, so not surprising to see younger guys make the jump.

OgtheDim
07-26-2018, 03:04 PM
I enjoyed Kurt's writing but embracing the CPL has always sounded like a religious conversion for him - this is the guy who was snidely dissing the effect of SG's in 2016. Now his job is to make sure the fervour of SG's are discussed and help sell his league.

reggie
07-26-2018, 03:04 PM
Is Joe Bendik going with him?yes best in mls ..the poor impact fans wont have anyone to piss on anymore..

Red CB Toronto
07-26-2018, 03:24 PM
I enjoyed Kurt's writing but embracing the CPL has always sounded like a religious conversion for him - this is the guy who was snidely dissing the effect of SG's in 2016. Now his job is to make sure the fervour of SG's are discussed and help sell his league.

That's the corporate reality of today's landscape. Times are changing as we saw this will with the drastic cuts at the New York Daily News this week. I for one will miss his coverage greatly as he truly made it his own. Prior to his arrival I always felt it was just a general assignment thing. I just hope that TFC coverage does not fall back at the Sun to whomever it is assigned to from the desk.

Auzzy
07-26-2018, 03:39 PM
I have no idea if this is related to Kurt's decision, but the Sun really seems to be going off the deep end lately in terms of ideology, might he a good time for him to move on.

Initial B
07-26-2018, 05:54 PM
Prior to his arrival I always felt it was just a general assignment thing. I just hope that TFC coverage does not fall back at the Sun to whomever it is assigned to from the desk.
I'd say Laura Armstrong over at the Star has taken up the reporting mantle in T.O. And we still have Molinaro.

OgtheDim
07-27-2018, 06:16 AM
Kloke & Platt & Molinaro are way more involved in the day to day of TFC - Armstrong not so much.

ensco
07-27-2018, 08:01 AM
I thought Kurt was often too close to management in his takes. But I appreciate his effort/passion, and he did do some good stuff.

Molinaro and Neil Davidson are the two axes on the beat, for me. But Davidson does a lot of other stuff.

Molinaro. I appreciate his reserved style. It's old fashioned reporting, he plays it straight. Which can make it dry. Just the way I think it should be.

My favourite Molinaro story, where he makes it crystal clear what he thinks, without actually expressing an opinion
https://www.cbc.ca/sports/soccer/tfc-s-dichio-too-banged-up-for-western-trip-1.842246

Oldtimer
07-27-2018, 11:14 PM
Davies guaranteed no loans and he'll get guaranteed first team minutes. Wow. Plus the inspiring story of his minor league soccer coach who helped broker the big deal.

https://theprovince.com/sports/soccer/mls/vancouver-whitecaps/art-of-the-alphonso-davies-deal-how-a-special-bond-made-for-dramatic-lucrative-transfer

Oldtimer
07-27-2018, 11:20 PM
My favourite Molinaro story, where he makes it crystal clear what he thinks, without actually expressing an opinion
https://www.cbc.ca/sports/soccer/tfc-s-dichio-too-banged-up-for-western-trip-1.842246

I remember that story. The understated sarcasm while playing it straight is pure gold.

portu
07-28-2018, 04:42 PM
Davies guaranteed no loans and he'll get guaranteed first team minutes. Wow. Plus the inspiring story of his minor league soccer coach who helped broker the big deal.

https://theprovince.com/sports/soccer/mls/vancouver-whitecaps/art-of-the-alphonso-davies-deal-how-a-special-bond-made-for-dramatic-lucrative-transfer
If he was smart then he'll have gotten that in writing. If this is all kept to he's set-up really well to succeed overseas.

Red CB Toronto
07-28-2018, 09:37 PM

If that is case that is huge for him. The big clubs, especially Chelsea are well known for stockpiling talent and loaning them out in mass. They can have upwards of 35-40 players out on loan at anyone time. Looking forward to seeing this kids in action.

Globetrotter
07-30-2018, 09:10 PM
https://mls2nashville.com/

Has anyone seen the Nashville MLS team website? It's loaded with TFC footage on repeat. Nothing exciting, just a bit unexpected. It's not like they're clips from many different teams... it's pretty much TFC.

Note...perhaps it changes regularly and I just happened to show up on a day that was pure TFC...

ensco
07-30-2018, 09:57 PM

I don’t believe that anybody like Bayern could or would guarantee anyone first team minutes.

PizzaEatingYeti
07-31-2018, 02:00 AM
I don’t believe that anybody like Bayern could or would guarantee anyone first team minutes.

This! Something like this IMO never happens in the pro soccer world.

I mean it's illogical, if any new player signed like that will not prove good enough as expected, given obligatory minutes on the first team that would damage first team performance.
What would any team sign any contract which at any point in time would obligate them to damage first team performance?

TFC Tifoso
07-31-2018, 07:13 AM

This! Something like this IMO never happens in the pro soccer world.

I mean it's illogical, if any new player signed like that will not prove good enough as expected, given obligatory minutes on the first team that would damage first team performance.
What would any team sign any contract which at any point in time would obligate them to damage first team performance?

and on top of that, while I'm happy for Davies and the potential of the move, the team specifically (Bayern) has me just a bit worried.
in the last few years, elite young talent like Kingsley Coman and Renato Sanches have had their careers kinda go flat there due to lack of chances and minutes......really hope the same doesn't happen there to Davies, regardless of the "promises" made to him.....

Areathrasher
07-31-2018, 08:18 AM
To me that just means he wont go on loan but will stick around the first team to integrate and settle in then get mins in the league when Bayern have the league wrapped up. Last season when Bayern won the league with games to spare they started throwing in kids for the last 3 games or so - i suspect that's what Davies will get.

JuliquE
07-31-2018, 12:08 PM
Obviously, if he underperforms, he won't be in the line-up.

But, "underperforms" is a relative term; I took this to mean that they are going to give him a fair shake—that they're aware of the stigma of a young starlet joining a club as big as theirs and losing his way, due in large part to never quite settling in, and are going to do what they can afford to counter that.

You take it with a grain of salt, but surely a good sign, at least (that they appear to genuinely want to do right by him/the player[, this time]).

molenshtain
08-07-2018, 04:19 PM
https://twitter.com/MLSFanbase/status/1026478400251281409

Chris konopka supposedly signed for Cardiff City a couple months ago...

The world is an increasingly confusing place. I guess I'm just getting old.

fergiejr
08-08-2018, 07:26 AM
More on this.

But where's the beard?

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/cardiff-city-goalkeeper-chris-konopka-14460892

notthesun
08-10-2018, 11:53 AM
https://twitter.com/joshuakloke/status/1027950018299392001

Additional game incoming for Mavinga...

edit: Official as per Vanney

https://twitter.com/JohnMolinaro/status/1027961449816027136

reggie
08-10-2018, 12:23 PM
the mls darlings...get nothing for spitting.headbutts.and kicking the ball at morrow face while he is on the ground

Red CB Toronto
08-13-2018, 11:02 PM
Mark Walhberg has expressed interested in what, saving The Crew. Maybe the boy from Dorchester is the Knight in Shinning Armour for yellow football team needs?

https://www.columbusnavigator.com/mark-wahlberg-columbus-crew-sc/

TFC1154ever
08-13-2018, 11:25 PM
They could do a lot worse than Mark Wahlberg.

James17930
08-13-2018, 11:48 PM
They could do a lot worse than Mark Wahlberg.

Yeah.

Like Donnie Wahlberg.

ensco
08-14-2018, 12:14 AM
I am amused that Mark Wahlberg and Bob Kraft are “dear friends”.

Red CB Toronto
08-14-2018, 12:33 AM
I am amused that Mark Wahlberg and Bob Kraft are “dear friends”.

Well Mark did leave his "dear friend" hanging here LOL

https://sports.cbsimg.net/images/blogs/Mark-Wahlberg-Robert-Kraft.final.jpg

OgtheDim
08-15-2018, 11:31 AM
https://twitter.com/paysoninho/status/1029764454022569984

Leaked crest with name & colours

The birds are snowy egrets

OgtheDim
08-15-2018, 03:52 PM
And...the Columbus Crew are now officially in hospice care.

With city approving stadium site, franchise confirms move to Austin - date not set yet but all rumours pointing to 2019.

https://www.austinchronicle.com/daily/news/2018-08-15/council-approves-deal-for-soccer-at-mckalla-place/

Gringo Starr
08-15-2018, 04:08 PM
That Austin stadium is nice, has a mid century modern feel to it.

Egrets or not they will be called flamingos

notthesun
08-15-2018, 04:55 PM
For what it's worth: ASA's xG tracking has us as the 2nd most unlucky team this season. Our xP would have us sitting 6th in the East currently.

https://www.americansocceranalysis.com/home/2018/8/14/the-good-the-bad-and-the-unlucky-what-xpoints-tells-us-about-the-2018-mls-season

rydermike
08-16-2018, 11:53 AM
La Liga will play a match in the United States or Canada for the first time after reaching an agreement with Relevent."This extraordinary joint venture is the next giant leap in growing soccer's popularity in North America," Relevent chairman and owner Stephen Ross said. "This unique relationship will create new opportunities for millions of North American soccer fans to experience the most passionate, exciting, and highest level of soccer in the world."
Ross also owns the Miami Dolphins and is a part owner of their home, Hard Rock Stadium, which would make them the frontrunner to host the event.
"It's not hard to figure out where we would want it to be based on our ownership with Stephen Ross," Relevent CEO Danny Sillman said via telephone. "That part isn't too difficult to figure out. [The match will be held] much sooner than the public is expecting."

https://soccer.realgm.com/wiretap/6404/La-Liga-To-Play-Match-In-United-States-Or-Canada

molenshtain
08-16-2018, 07:10 PM
This is really cool

https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2018/08/16/brampton-canadas-key-world-cup-success-movement-pres-att?autoplay=true

TFC07
08-16-2018, 11:25 PM
This is really cool

https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2018/08/16/brampton-canadas-key-world-cup-success-movement-pres-att?autoplay=true

Love it. Brampton is truly a soccer hotbed in Canada #underrated

ag futbol
08-17-2018, 06:42 PM
This is a random, not so much TFC / MLS related note but didn’t think there was a good place for it in the Canada section either (not really worthy of its own thread).

18 year old Jonathan David from Ottawa is playing his first season in the Belgian first division for KAA Gent and has scored 5 goals in 67 minutes (all from substitute appearances). Not really sure of the quality of the Belgian Pro league but kind of cool.

molenshtain
08-18-2018, 11:46 AM
This is a random, not so much TFC / MLS related note but didn’t think there was a good place for it in the Canada section either (not really worthy of its own thread).

18 year old Jonathan David from Ottawa is playing his first season in the Belgian first division for KAA Gent and has scored 5 goals in 67 minutes (all from substitute appearances). Not really sure of the quality of the Belgian Pro league but kind of cool.

two of those goals came in the Europa league against a pretty decent polish team. His club is among the better ones in Belgium and ha
s a decent track record of producing players, namely Kevin De Bruyne. There are another half-dozen decent teams then it falls off. Really good developmental league.

Those in the know say that they already knew this kid was the real deal and that this isn't much of a surprise. If that's the case you wonder why he wasn't advertsised more but who knows. Maybe this is him.

Gringo Starr
08-19-2018, 09:06 PM
Man DC united is rolling 9 points in a week, thier next six are against the top teams will be interesting to see if they can keep it up

ensco
08-25-2018, 09:08 AM
Ciman is being sold to Dijon. Story says he wanted an extension, also that Bradley just doesn’t really rate him.

OgtheDim
08-27-2018, 04:13 PM
Looks like we might be getting that break for Saturday.

As Ensco said, Ciman forcing a transfer out back to Europe - supposedly done & dusted & happening this week.

DinamoTFC
08-28-2018, 10:04 AM
Looks like we might be getting that break for Saturday.

As Ensco said, Ciman forcing a transfer out back to Europe - supposedly done & dusted & happening this week.

Did something happen between him and LAFC? I thought he was enjoying it over there and was able to find care for his kid.

Gringo Starr
08-28-2018, 05:08 PM
This is what LAFC deserve for poaching Edwards

ensco
08-28-2018, 06:36 PM
I wonder how the transfer fee LAFC got from Dijon compares to the 400K in TAM Montreal got for Edwards.

portu
08-28-2018, 06:46 PM
I wonder how the transfer fee LAFC got from Dijon compares to the 400K in TAM Montreal got for Edwards.

Have to factor in Ciman salary dump

Canary10
08-28-2018, 07:26 PM
In the last week or so I’ve read an article in the Guardian about Tata and the juggernaut he’s built in Atlanta. I’m seeing articles predicting Altanta tops 70 points this year, which would surpass our record last year. I’m just waiting for the articles saying Atlanta 2018 is the greatest team in MLS history. It is surely coming.

The hardest part of this year for me is how zero we’ve become almost overnight. How much all of the accomplishments of last year are basically just forgotten and how little fight it seems we’ve had in defending our titles. I really fucking hope TFC can use that anger to pull something out to end the season. And fucking beat Atlanta that last home game to make sure they don’t beat our points record. I don’t want anyone talking about any other team than TFC 2017 being the best ever.

Gringo Starr
08-28-2018, 08:06 PM
With the way they draw and the style they play I'm not surprised that ATL are the darlings of the league. I think Red Bulls are a better team than the peaches and hope they end up with the shield but Atl have an easier schedule. I'm still hopefully that we will snuff them out in the second round of the playoffs

tfcfans
08-29-2018, 12:00 AM
In the last week or so I’ve read an article in the Guardian about Tata and the juggernaut he’s built in Atlanta. I’m seeing articles predicting Altanta tops 70 points this year, which would surpass our record last year. I’m just waiting for the articles saying Atlanta 2018 is the greatest team in MLS history. It is surely coming.

The hardest part of this year for me is how zero we’ve become almost overnight. How much all of the accomplishments of last year are basically just forgotten and how little fight it seems we’ve had in defending our titles. I really fucking hope TFC can use that anger to pull something out to end the season. And fucking beat Atlanta that last home game to make sure they don’t beat our points record. I don’t want anyone talking about any other team than TFC 2017 being the best ever.

I don't disagree and frankly am at the "Anyone but Atlanta" stage of things (what fan support they have! (smirk) --- sure it's easy to support when you're good right away and it's a shiny new toy; give them the first 5 seasons we had to start and I'm betting they would not be filling that place either in year 6--- the LV hockey team finishing in 30th place for 5 years to start the franchise wouldn't then be selling out either in year 6 once the novelty has worn off and the team sucked (let's go to the SC Finals in Year 1 - isn't this fun! -- everyone loves a winner and a shiny new toy -ask Jays fans from 1989-1993 filling a new DOME and also having a great team, and then watch what happens from 1996-2014 when the team isn't so good and the stadium wasn't a novelty anymore); you want to impress me with awesome support - have a crap team and an average (not new) stadium for 8 years straight, and still show up......I'll believe that when I see it.......

This whole talk of Atlanta being the best ever is annoying; are they winning a treble? are they over-exerting themselves with 8 extra games across the continent this season trying to win CCL this year (or will they next year if they do in fact win the whole thing and are trying to defend the CUP)? - simply put "NO", they played (and beat) a USL team in the US Open Cup and then proceeded to lose to Chicago AT HOME (no Martinez and they didn't win or score a goal at HOME - what a shock? having your best players actually play matters! ---- so for all the talk of TFC beating a USL team in a home and away tie last year, and then an MLS team in a home and away last year and that being a "dubious" treble; its still more than Atlanta accomplished who could not even beat an MLS team at home - we still played an extra 2 games as a result too last season)......when they make it to two straight Finals, win two domestic Cups those same years, and get to a CCL Final as well, then come and talk to me about them being better than the 2016-April 2018 run of TFC......

I think we can all admit to being disappointed at how this season has gone on many levels --- but if anyone does not think that the CCL run and the subsequent injuries of our top players was not a significant contributing factor then they are being overly-negative in my opinion (we don't just magically "suck" all of a sudden, nor has Vanney become an "idiot" all of a sudden either --- is there some regression to the mean? - sure, last year was an anomaly).......but you simply can't win consistently without Giovinco, Altidore, Vasquez, and Mavinga on the field TOGETHER - and that literally has only occurred for less than 10% of the minutes played in MLS games this year.....take Almiron, Martinez and Parkhust not playing together for more than 10% of the minutes and tell me how good they would be?!.....the whole depth thing is a bit of a fallacy too -- take a big chunk of the 37 goals out of Atlanta's 55 goals if their top two "stars" were not playing together and would they magically get filled up by their substitutes (like an Osorio scoring a bit more as a result of others not being on the field)? would they win as many games? highly unlikely I would suggest.....Most of these MLS teams are one or two key injuries away from being very average all of a sudden.....Take Altidore out of our offence or Almiron out of theirs for a significant chunk, it's going to affect what the other offensive star (Martinez or Gio) can do as teams can load up on the one remaining guy.....take Martinez our for an extra few games like Gio this year and they would likely have dropped a few more points as well....

There is a lot of luck and good health involved in this stuff in my opinion......when Atlanta overcomes some real adversity to their "stars" this season let me know......

OgtheDim
08-29-2018, 06:13 AM
https://twitter.com/tutulismyname/status/1034733984603889665

We are going to hear ignorant talk of Martinez having the best year in MLS ever.

Its not.

SoccMan2
08-29-2018, 09:06 AM
You guys kill me, yes we are TFC fans but Martinez is having a great season and just broke the scoring record and yes probably having and will be considered as having the best season ever yes better than Giovinco wow eh ! This guy is scoring for fun , and Atlanta is on course to break TFC’s points record and if they win the MLS Cup will probably be considered the greatest team ever, and don’t bring up the Canadian Championship no comparison to the US open Cup where there is a shitload of teams and all of the MLS teams to also beat not a tournament featuring just 2 MLS teams to beat plus 3 non MLS teams ,it’s so much easier winning the Canada Cup apples and oranges comparison. If Atlanta gets more points, wins MLS Cup and goes to the final of CCL then for me they will have outdone last seasons TFC and in their second year not in their 10th. and without putting their fans through 8 years of utter garbage. This is sports records are meant to be broken suck it up people and a akknowledge, but the season is not over Atlanta might still not achieve anything let’s see.

fergiejr
08-29-2018, 09:42 AM
Let's see how far Atlanta gets in Concacaf. They can win the MLS cup or get in via the best aggregate record over 2017 / 2018 (they lead this race too).

They will have to win Concacaf to be regarded as the best MLS team ever. Anything less, they will only be considered just as good in my books.

But yeah, Martinez is a beast.