PDA

View Full Version : A few ideas from an non-RPB

BramptonRed
12-18-2017, 09:53 AM
First and foremost, I don't want to come across as stepping on any toes.. I'm just a die hard day 1 TFC fan with some ideas. They are not designed to defend anyone or any supporter group.

1. The south end is made up of 4/5 supporter groups. Has there ever been, or are there plans to, unify the entire south end into one amalgamation of support? - wouldnt all the groups singing the same songs in unison behind 1 capo be a lot more effective than the each group individually starting chants - essentially drowning each other out? - again, I don't know if there are politics behind the scenes, I understand RPB and inebriatti see things a little different but the greater good would be a unified south end. - i've had the privilege of standing in the south end on many occasions and this is just one of my observations.

2. so this is a little bit more of an outside the box idea. often when i score tickets i end up in the upper bowl or outside the south end, and i end up beign the only one chanting in my section. i try to keep an ear on what the south end is doing, and then catch on to chants. sometimes people in my section begin to follow. (the easy ones- tfc clap clap clap, tfc tor ont ohhh, sebastian giovinco etc). but have any supporters groups ever had the idea to place a capo in every section, to lead each section in unison with whats happenining in the south end? the way i see it is that people want the tfc experience (typing that makes me nauseous), maybe placing a capo in each section can facilitate that?

thoughts?

also... how far have we come? we used to end the season talking about who should replace the coach!:drum:

FluSH
12-19-2017, 09:19 PM
Hey,

No worries about the question...

1. There will never be one unified Group. Too many politics and different/conflicting ways of supporting. I can’t even think of one team in MLS and or Latin America that only has 1 supporter group. If there is one the team is probably on it’s last leg. Best I’ve seen is all under one umbrella and the different SG’s
representing that umbrella... think NATO

2. If everyone accepted capos that would be great, however that’s not the case. You have ppl that want Chanting in small doses, some +90 and jumping, some none at all. Hence the designated supporters section.

Hope this helps understanding further

UpTheReds
12-20-2017, 12:38 AM
Full fledged singing in the stadium on a regular basis will never happen. Using the UK as my reference base, there are only a couple stadiums I can think of off hand that still have the whole stadium standing and singing...scratch that one, Celtic Park. Sad times in the modern game in terms of support.

fergiejr
12-20-2017, 10:34 AM
For point #2. I'm in 109. There are a few of us that sing all game. We sit, but we are engaged. The pocket around us is growing and hit helps that the drum is in the top of 110. I would recommend that if you want a better in game experience but can't get into the south, try to get into 110 or 109. 108 might even work, but getting further away it will get quieter.

jabbronies
12-20-2017, 10:55 AM
Originally there was RPB, U-Sector and Tribal Rhythm nation.
Now there is RPB, U-Sector, Tribal Rhythm Nation, Original 109, Inebriatii, Kings of the north and probably another half dozen other groups of people who call themselves something or another.

Getting everyone into 1 group isn't going to happen. At least not this generation of supporters. Maybe in like 20-30 years after the current generation of grumps has moved on, but it won't happen for reasons @Flush mentioned above.

As for the Capo idea - Not a fan of it. I'm especially not a fan of the club trying to put chants on the big screen or having Cheerleaders, or Cheer squads, or Chant posses or whatever lame term they come up with throughout the stadium.

We tried co-ordinating section 110 with section 112 and it never worked. they were never in sync - we tried hand gestures and megaphones and I think at one point people were toying with radio communications. we never got it to work - now try coordinating the south with a section even further than 110 and we'll see how that goes.

At the end of the day the only way to get the whole stadium involved is for it to grow outwards from the south - that means section 111 and 110 need to be synced in order for 109 to be on the same page in order for 108 to be on the same etc etc.

As for getting the upper decks involved - that's even harder cos you need people in the front rows to be on board and they are the ones who would start to carry the chants upwards into the rest of the deck.

it does happen in the stadium every so often - there are a couple chants that have carried - Viking Clap, TFC Clap clap clap; and there's another that's not coming to mind, but I heard people in 108 getting on board with it. (Oh I remember - it's the back and forth chant between group - "oooh ooh ooooooh T.O")

wopchop
12-20-2017, 10:58 AM
I'm in Lower 110 (a few rows before the supporters section officially start) and it is usually pretty lively. Although not always. Sometimes everyone is sitting but maybe a bit more often everyone is standing. It has definitely trended more towards constant standing in the last three years. Playoffs and Cup have all been all standing.

The drum above us helps a lot. But to be honest, a capo at the bottom of 111 or 110 could probably help too, but it depends a lot on the people at the bottom of the section and if they can coordinate with 112. Did there used to be one down there? I can't remember.

fergiejr
12-20-2017, 11:08 AM
No capo down there as far as I remember. The problem is that lower 110 is not "designated" supporter so I don't think a capo would be welcome. 111 could work though. Best would be a capo mid way in 110 that can see Fizik and work with Lintberg / other drummers at the top.

It is pretty good though and gets us 109'ers going.

BramptonRed
12-20-2017, 12:38 PM
cheers for the thoughts guys.. just some ideas i've had... once again, not designed to step on anyones toes!

haha i guess seeing us finally have glory is giving me ideas of the future.. would love to see the whole stadium on their feets singing for 90 minutes.. some day!

Come on you reds!

spe18
12-20-2017, 01:29 PM
The Timers Army in Portland?

Hey,

No worries about the question...

1. There will never be one unified Group. Too many politics and different/conflicting ways of supporting. I can’t even think of one team in MLS and or Latin America that only has 1 supporter group. If there is one the team is probably on it’s last leg. Best I’ve seen is all under one umbrella and the different SG’s
representing that umbrella... think NATO

2. If everyone accepted capos that would be great, however that’s not the case. You have ppl that want Chanting in small doses, some +90 and jumping, some none at all. Hence the designated supporters section.

Hope this helps understanding further

flambe
12-20-2017, 01:31 PM
wouldnt all the groups singing the same songs in unison behind 1 capo be a lot more effective than the each group individually starting chants - essentially drowning each other out?

Sitting in 111 we have a great view of both RPB's and Inebriatti. There are numerous times during the game where we sing in unison or back and forth. The problem I see is that the folks in between these two groups (113 and 114) don't appear to be as vocal and it loses impact.

I agree that the unique cultures between the differing groups is apparent, and it's a great thing and should be kept. However a south-end singing in unison at certain points in the game would be stella, and LOUD!

Just my 2c. Keep up the great work everyone.

denime
12-20-2017, 02:28 PM
The Timers Army in Portland?

No,they are umbrela

The Timbers Army is composed of several different subgroups. These subgroups are unique in their own fashion and consist of many different personalities. However, all subgroups fall under the Timbers Army umbrella. Many of the subgroups produce their own special apparel and other items while the proceeds go directly back to Timbers Army causes.

FreekAce
12-20-2017, 03:34 PM
[QUOTE=flambe;1857954]Sitting in 111 we have a great view of both RPB's and Inebriatti. There are numerous times during the game where we sing in unison or back and forth. The problem I see is that the folks in between these two groups (113 and 114) don't appear to be as vocal and it loses impact.QUOTE]

That would be the result of a league and front office that in the first 2 years killed the atmosphere in those sections with dumb rules and sanctions, (yet using every cool image for marketing purposes) that drove the hardcore support away only to be replaced with tourists and season tickets bought up by scalpers. The atmosphere never really recovered from that.

flambe
12-21-2017, 09:26 AM
That would be the result of a league and front office that in the first 2 years killed the atmosphere in those sections with dumb rules and sanctions, (yet using every cool image for marketing purposes) that drove the hardcore support away only to be replaced with tourists and season tickets bought up by scalpers. The atmosphere never really recovered from that.

Didn't realize that was the root cause, thanks for sharing!

Soccer Mum
12-21-2017, 10:17 AM
The root cause is people creating supporters groups and having an us vs them mentality. They all hate on each other because of a few differences in how you should support. This then leads to the top brass of every SG becoming very cliquey and judging everyone else in the stadium. The result is a frankenstein of an atmosphere.

Soccer Mum
12-21-2017, 10:24 AM
Sitting in 111 we have a great view of both RPB's and Inebriatti. There are numerous times during the game where we sing in unison or back and forth. The problem I see is that the folks in between these two groups (113 and 114) don't appear to be as vocal and it loses impact.

I agree that the unique cultures between the differing groups is apparent, and it's a great thing and should be kept. However a south-end singing in unison at certain points in the game would be stella, and LOUD!

Just my 2c. Keep up the great work everyone.

U-sector has just disappeared and they are really killing the atmosphere in the south.

jabbronies
12-21-2017, 10:40 AM
No capo down there as far as I remember. The problem is that lower 110 is not "designated" supporter so I don't think a capo would be welcome. 111 could work though. Best would be a capo mid way in 110 that can see Fizik and work with Lintberg / other drummers at the top.

It is pretty good though and gets us 109'ers going.

No thanks. You will get huge resistance from people in that section for this. I've been sitting there since year 1 and no one wants a Capo in their face blocking the match view.

lintberg
12-21-2017, 11:51 AM
No thanks. You will get huge resistance from people in that section for this. I've been sitting there since year 1 and no one wants a Capo in their face blocking the match view.

Another Capo nearby...maybe closer to the top of 111/110 would be great to assist us!!
Sometimes it proves really difficult to get 110/109 going single handed (or with a small handful of RPB up by the drums with us)

FreekAce
12-21-2017, 02:56 PM
U-sector has just disappeared and they are really killing the atmosphere in the south.

don't be so dramatic. there's plenty of people in 113 that still sing every game.

FluSH
12-21-2017, 08:58 PM
don't be so dramatic. there's plenty of people in 113 that still sing every game.

I’m quite certain that is Kenny... from way back in the day. If not, same Modus Operandi as Kenny. Disliking all organized support/SG’s.

T.O TILL I DIE
12-21-2017, 11:32 PM
To be honest TRN drains the supprter groups everytime we get into unison there drums throw everyone offz P.s ive been in multiple sections at BMO and i think maybe they should stop at half time or something just a thought..

MartinUtd
12-22-2017, 12:25 AM
The drum in 110 is frequently off beat, it was better this year but it kills the momentum. Frequently I'd have to give up on a chant half way though because the timing was off with the south end.

As for a united south stand... aside from the separate affiliations, MLSE sells loads of tickets to scalpers and there's little they will do to claim them back. That right there is the single biggest hindrance.

Red CB Toronto
12-22-2017, 02:04 AM
To be honest TRN drains the supprter groups everytime we get into unison there drums throw everyone offz P.s ive been in multiple sections at BMO and i think maybe they should stop at half time or something just a thought..

Funny thing is TRN was the first supporters group I was ever exposed too as my tickets for the first couple TFC home games was in 119 so the steel drums will forever have soft spot in my heart.

Blkndkr
12-22-2017, 03:09 PM
Funny thing is TRN was the first supporters group I was ever exposed too as my tickets for the first couple TFC home games was in 119 so the steel drums will forever have soft spot in my heart.

im up in 224 and TRN drives me crazy even that distance away. I don’t know how the folks in the south end can stand it.

DinamoTFC
12-22-2017, 06:12 PM

They are by far a huge nuisance and extremely annoying.
They just make random noise which doesn't sync with any of the chants. I can barely hear Kings from 115 due to them.
They really need to be moved to opposite end of stadium.

flatpicker
12-22-2017, 08:06 PM
They are by far a huge nuisance and extremely annoying.
They just make random noise which doesn't sync with any of the chants. I can barely hear Kings from 115 due to them.
They really need to be moved to opposite end of stadium.

I would definitely be in favour of them relocating to the north end.
I'm in 114, and too often I hear them more than the singing.

redcard
12-24-2017, 10:56 AM

Noticed this quite regularly during the playoffs. Spent some time in 120 and I don't think the section that they are 'allocated' actually sings or participates with them.

I think TRN is truly a relict of the past, that should be moved to the pastures of the north patio.

red-o
12-24-2017, 01:39 PM
In 120 we have seen things coming across get drowned out by the drums. Once in a while they do get something right either starting something on their own or punctuating another groups chants - when it happens it's nice but I don't think it makes up for the rest.

OgtheDim
12-24-2017, 09:24 PM
TRN only shows up to 1/3 of the games but when they do..they are freaking annoying.

Red4ever
12-24-2017, 11:54 PM
It's funny.

I joined RPB because they said "yes" the most and were the least angry of the supporter groups. I still believe that's true. I'm glad other groups have their thing going but it would be hard for me to go their route just as many of them were born out of not wanting to go ours.

We are in a honeymoon now a bit so I admire this thread and efforts to work together, but to a certain extent this will be this generation's "peak" together.

From the top of 112, you can hear how the dead spots in 113 wreck the sync up (which is a shame because the 113 capo works his ass off) and the drum often drowns the singing. Combine that with certain songs which some groups wont sing and it is what it is.

As for your second point. By and large our songs that are good, get sung. We need to be better at coming with catchy stuff which engages everyone. Think, if a supporter cant be bothered to sing it, what will the guy in 207 think.

Auzzy
12-25-2017, 01:27 AM
Please don't put TRN in the north. I'm in section 226. Since the roof is in place, we can often hear the south end fairly well. It brings some energy into our area, and lets some chants spread, especially the thunder clap. TRN in the north end, would totally drown out the south end and kill the atmosphere.

It's a tough one, I don't know what to suggest. Maybe put TRN behind the away supporters section. :D

T.O TILL I DIE
12-26-2017, 02:32 PM
I wonder if TRN acknowledges the displeasure the fans have towards those drums. Has any supporter group leader talk with them?

Derko
12-26-2017, 08:27 PM
I wonder if TRN acknowledges the displeasure the fans have towards those drums. Has any supporter group leader talk with them?

TRN may be inclined to say Go Fuck yourself, They are one of the original SG's and now folks are saying they are annoying, As far as I am concerned flares and smoke are annoying, but I choose to roll with it. Just an opinion.

BramptonRed
12-26-2017, 10:09 PM
This thread got a lot more attention than I was expecting.. genuinely lads, this thread was started because I yearn to see the day when the south stand sings 'ques que vou chantez?' and the rest of the stadium sings 'nous chanton les rouge allez!'

T.O TILL I DIE
12-26-2017, 10:56 PM
TRN may be inclined to say Go Fuck yourself, They are one of the original SG's and now folks are saying they are annoying, As far as I am concerned flares and smoke are annoying, but I choose to roll with it. Just an opinion.

Smoke and flares dont effect the unison of the supporter groups .. loud out of sync drumming does though, and TRN has been annoying since i could remember btw this is coming from a season seat holder from 2007. Watch the tfc highlights when TRN shows up, chants get going and those drums throw everybody off.

Red CB Toronto
12-26-2017, 11:32 PM
At times in the last season or two I was not even sure if those guys on the drums at the top of 118 were even TRN at times, it was not always clear.

Derko
12-27-2017, 08:17 AM
Smoke and flares dont effect the unison of the supporter groups .. loud out of sync drumming does though, and TRN has been annoying since i could remember btw this is coming from a season seat holder from 2007. Watch the tfc highlights when TRN shows up, chants get going and those drums throw everybody off.

I know what the point is about being in unison, I was just being a Devil's Advocate and actually looking at as if I were a member from TRN whom are also a supporter's group and reading the comments, has anyone considered holding a SG forum to try and synchronize and coordinate certain chants and songs and be on the same page, you can't just say you guys (TRN) are throwing it all off so fuck off and move elsewhere that's all, that would be like telling the guy with the big drum that is in someone's seat to move it, that would be blasphemous, the reason I bring the drum point up is because I purchased a pair of seats for friends this year on ticket trader in the Supporter's section and the seats were where the drum was sitting and was told by security just grab a seat anywhere as we stand all game anyway, which was cool, and this also coming from a SSH from 2007, btw

There is a way of doing and saying things, but unfortunately, the perception of this part of the discussion is quite literally targeting one specific SG, and perception is reality.

TheGoodson
12-27-2017, 08:22 AM
I have sat in 117 since day 1..

TRN shows up late 90% of the time and they do nothing to try and coordinate with what is happening i.e. chants or even run of play. I honestly think that they go off beat purposely

My suggestion is to put them in the north end

jimiv
12-27-2017, 08:56 AM
I have sat in 117 since day 1..

TRN shows up late 90% of the time and they do nothing to try and coordinate with what is happening i.e. chants or even run of play. I honestly think that they go off beat purposely

My suggestion is to put them in the north end

I'm in 117 as well, although TRN is annoying to be fair our section is 70% tourists. When some of us try and align with 116 it dies off fast.

I think we need to get our own section in order before fixing someone else's as we're the last unorganized section.

Derko
12-27-2017, 09:12 AM
For the record I want it to be as co-ordinated as the next person, cheers hope we can create another season of great atmosphere, Happy New Year

glaze
12-28-2017, 10:14 AM
It would help if there was more seat movement.
I would never enjoy having seats with the inebriatti. But there are many that would.
The same would go for all of the SG.
Problem is the south end is the most disired seats in the stadium. People don't give them up. Especially scalpers. Or amateur scalpers that put their whole season on stubhub.
The best approach is to focus on one section at a time. Let's make 110 perfect. Then expand to 111, etc.
While we can't tell other SG how to support, or to step up on GameDay, by being visibly more active it makes a stronger case to the FO to let us expand as seats come available.

Fort York Redcoat
12-28-2017, 10:51 AM

yes

and they fully understand the way they support is different.

lintberg
12-28-2017, 02:16 PM
It would help if there was more seat movement.
I would never enjoy having seats with the inebriatti. But there are many that would.
The same would go for all of the SG.
Problem is the south end is the most disired seats in the stadium. People don't give them up. Especially scalpers. Or amateur scalpers that put their whole season on stubhub.
The best approach is to focus on one section at a time. Let's make 110 perfect. Then expand to 111, etc.
While we can't tell other SG how to support, or to step up on GameDay, by being visibly more active it makes a stronger case to the FO to let us expand as seats come available.

Agreed!
We really could use some help up at the top of 110....we have two drums up there...but we are in desperate need of a Capo!
If anyone located up near the drums feels like giving it a go come on up an chat....we can come up with a plan of action!!

Soccer Mum
02-15-2018, 09:54 AM
I personally like TRN. They add that Caribbean vibe to BMO Field. It's the pockets from 112-115 that don't sing, they are the real problem.

Blkndkr
02-15-2018, 10:02 AM
100% disagree. I’m in 224 and TRN drives me nuts. Their noise contributed absolutely nothing of benefit to the atmosphere of the game.

DinamoTFC
02-15-2018, 10:40 AM
I personally like TRN. They add that Caribbean vibe to BMO Field. It's the pockets from 112-115 that don't sing, they are the real problem.
This must be the funniest thing I've heard.

Red4ever
02-15-2018, 10:44 AM
No one trolls like SoccerMom :)

Chris made a good point though at the AGM. We are popular now.

Sometimes having a good team means that there are too many people to be on the same page. This is a prime example.

renda-10
02-15-2018, 10:47 AM
If you look at 114, the core of the noise is coming from the first saw 10 rows. The difference is their rows are wide in respect to 112. That being said us as 112 need to be deep. We need to need the chants going beyond the drum. A mid capo and great participation would help this

SuperTCP
02-15-2018, 11:43 AM
I was a "tourist" with a group of my friends in 116 for last years ECF and they did a good job with chanting etc, for this years ECF we had tickets in 117. Even though we were "tourists", we were the only ones chanting in that section. It was very sad, especially for an ECF. Also the TRN drums drove us nuts.

OgtheDim
02-15-2018, 12:07 PM
TRN lost my respect last season when they tried to eff up the Clap thing, on purpose.

To me, they are the equivalent of something weird I saw a couple of times back in the 80's - a guy in a bar who insisted that Much Music be on loud while watching a game on TSN.

InSuL1nImP
02-15-2018, 12:08 PM
IMO As a supporter since day 1 the biggest issues are ML$E ruining the SG's and culture we had in the early days. We the SG's are still recovering from that. We also have to fight with the SSH's in sections of the south end that hate all of us SG's as well as people getting tickets from scalpers etc. I think all of us supporters and SG's being different is a good thing. It means we all bring our versions of what supporting means to us which in turn keeps it organic and we will always have a say and our way. If we come together as one I think it would kill the entire culture and feel completely commercial. We as supporters have some leverage with the team and front office. We are the voice and heart who knows where this team would be without us. We are all humans and we are all different so take a moment to think about how you felt the moment we won the cup? Some of his lit flares/smoke some of us waved flags, some of us sang, some of us cried, some of us kissed a loved one, some of us wrapped our hands around our fellow brothers and sisters. We all celebrated in different ways but all of us let 11 years of emotion out. What I'm trying to say is we are all "ONE" we are Supporters and that's what should matter the most. Who are we to tell each other how to support? Just my 2cents.https://www.theverge.com/2016/6/21/11988356/kermit-sipping-tea-lizard-none-of-my-business-meme-good-morning-america
https://cdn.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/bAe3afLzBd2SFcT9uHjlfGJTP0s=/0x2:494x280/1600x900/cdn.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_image/image/49910263/slack-imgs-1.com.0.0.jpeg

Red4ever
02-15-2018, 12:23 PM
TRN lost my respect last season when they tried to eff up the Clap thing, on purpose.

To me, they are the equivalent of something weird I saw a couple of times back in the 80's - a guy in a bar who insisted that Much Music be on loud while watching a game on TSN.

There was a guy in 112 who did this as well during the ECF. Found it drop dead hilarious.

I wanted to two foot him.

pfk
02-15-2018, 02:57 PM
Around mid-season last year, I heard that someone tried to mess up the clap in 114 and subsequently got punched. I am not sure if it is true, but those messing up with chats are annoying.

OgtheDim
02-15-2018, 03:15 PM
Could be worse - DCU just created a shit show by making an agreement with 1 Supporter group to manage/control their whole supporter area in their new stadium.

Red4ever
02-15-2018, 05:43 PM
Could be worse - DCU just created a shit show by making an agreement with 1 Supporter group to manage/control their whole supporter area in their new stadium.

I would revolt.

Alonso
02-15-2018, 06:12 PM
Please don't put TRN in the north. I'm in section 226. Since the roof is in place, we can often hear the south end fairly well. It brings some energy into our area, and lets some chants spread, especially the thunder clap. TRN in the north end, would totally drown out the south end and kill the atmosphere.

It's a tough one, I don't know what to suggest. Maybe put TRN behind the away supporters section. :D

That's a f'n fabulous idea!

Or in front of the away section... totally f up there rhythm and chants! LOL

I sit in section 119, and TRN are just over my right shoulder and are constantly throwing the songs and chants out of rhythm.

Many times the drummer(s) try to drum with the south end viking clap, and completely throw off the clap at south west end.

Usually they have better success with the TFC ClapClapClap! but even then they mess it up and f up the whole section out of rhythm.