PDA

View Full Version : MLSE To Buy The Argos

BenRhodes23
12-13-2017, 04:47 PM
Looks like the No Argos At BMO movement has failed. MLSE have bought the Toronto Argonauts:

https://www.cfl.ca/2017/12/13/mlse-acquire-grey-cup-champion-toronto-argonauts/

flatpicker
12-13-2017, 04:56 PM
Is today April 1st?

jimiv
12-13-2017, 05:11 PM
With MLSE ownership it may be time to renovate Lamport. It seats 9600 which sounds about right.

BenRhodes23
12-13-2017, 05:16 PM
With MLSE ownership it may be time to renovate Lamport. It seats 9600 which sounds about right.

I've heard rumours on Twitter about Argos + Wolfpack renovating Lamport together. There is apparently enough room around the stadium to add more seats

ryan
12-13-2017, 05:18 PM
The Argos aren't going to Lamport, I assure you this. BMO is their home now, there's no going back. I don't like it, just stating what is the truth.

TFC07
12-13-2017, 05:19 PM
Meh. Same owners with Rogers as a (silent) partner now. In bigger picture, nothing changes unless we are forced to buy Argos tickets and/or get free Argo tickets like Toronto Marlies ransom pack that some TFC fans were force to buy in the past...Lol

Red CB Toronto
12-13-2017, 05:21 PM
I've heard rumours on Twitter about Argos + Wolfpack renovating Lamport together. There is apparently enough room around the stadium to add more seats

There is not enough room at all, you can't fit in a Canadian football field with King St. just to the north. Plus new field turf is being put in at Lamport for next year.

12-13-2017, 05:21 PM
Makes sense for MLSE (media companies) to corner the market on Toronto sports teams.

With TFC expected to get to around 25K season ticket holders and with the talk of expanding BMO, I wonder how this will effect the Argos who have had trouble filling a 20K stadium. Maybe they tarp off the top level?

pfk
12-13-2017, 05:25 PM
I heard the Ontario Teacher's Pension Plan is thinking about buying the Jays. I wonder if MLSE is still a possible buyer and be to overlord of all Toronto teams.

GabrielHurl
12-13-2017, 05:32 PM
There is not enough room at all, you can't fit in a Canadian football field with King St. just to the north. Plus new field turf is being put in at Lamport for next year.

Well - you could - but you'd have to lose the parking to the south.

molenshtain
12-13-2017, 05:54 PM
They already effectively owned them through Bell and Tannenbaum. This just looks like some organizational reshuffling as opposed to a takeover. Not sure what this means for either our future or theirs, if it means anything at all.

ManUtd4ever
12-13-2017, 06:17 PM
The Argos aren't going to Lamport, I assure you this. BMO is their home now, there's no going back. I don't like it, just stating what is the truth.

Agreed. I think it's time to move past it anyhow. The grounds crew has done a masterful job, and MLSE invested a fortune to ensure that ground sharing wouldn't affect our game day experience. They have been true to their word.

ensco
12-13-2017, 06:56 PM
I'm guessing this means Rogers will now carry some CFL games.

I have little doubt this will hilariously characterized as more consumer choice at the CRTC.

James17930
12-13-2017, 07:04 PM
Agreed. I think it's time to move past it anyhow. The grounds crew has done a masterful job, and MLSE invested a fortune to ensure that ground sharing wouldn't affect our game day experience. They have been true to their word.

Last year was obviously pretty sketchy with the green sand and all, but it does seem like they've got it figured out this year.

Hopefully.

SoccMan2
12-13-2017, 08:27 PM
I just hope that this does not mean that BMO Field starts to have more Argo signage and Argo whatever in the stadium, now you go to a TFC game and you hardly see any Argo crap in the stadium it still more or less has the feeling that it’s a TFC stadium and the Argos are just a tenant hopefully it stays like that , MLSE needs to remember that TFC was a success from the get go off the field because TFC had a stadium that was dedicated to them, you walked in the stadium and it was all TFC it felt that finally after all the years of being shit on , Soccer had their own home, keep tinkering with all this MLSE and save TFC will eventually become a thing mark my words!

glaze
12-13-2017, 09:34 PM
I think it's fairly irrelevant.
Maybe they build the argos some offices/permanent locker room at Kia training ground for practice.
Otherwise we have some minor signage at bmo already for argos, and does anyone really notice it?
I was really skeptical about the field, and it seemed much better for the final this year compared to last,
I imagine the argos will be alot like the Marlies including the free tickets that we will likely get now.
Football fans in toronto want to see Tom brady, not Ricky ray, or the nameless qbs on every other team.

BelfastBoy
12-13-2017, 09:52 PM
Not another Argos thread...:(

Auzzy
12-13-2017, 10:08 PM
What's surprising to me: when Bell / Rogers / Tannenbaum bought MLSE in 2012, many of us thought this multi-headed monster was guaranteed to bicker & split up soon. With them now bringing the Argos into the fold as well, it certainly doesn't look like that. And when Michael Friisdahl (formerly of Air Canada) became President and CEO of MLSE about 2 years ago, many of us figured the cost cutting would start soon -- or at least no more big spending as had recently been the case. That hasn't happened either.

I do wonder what having the Argos fully owned by MLSE will mean. Now they will have essentially the same standing within the company as TFC, with TFC having better attendance while the Argos have better TV numbers. (I do realize that TFC's value incl. the SUM partnership is much higher.) But this new arrangement might have some impact on scheduling priorities and other issues at BMO Field.

sn0re
12-13-2017, 10:50 PM
Could this also affect the upcoming of safe standing in 2019/2020 and future expansions?

Oldtimer
12-13-2017, 11:35 PM
Could this also affect the upcoming of safe standing in 2019/2020 and future expansions?

No. The safe standing will be Bundesliga style, with seats that can be folded down. For Argos games they will be down.

Toronto Ruffrider
12-14-2017, 12:14 AM
Well - you could - but you'd have to lose the parking to the south.

I did a little measuring on Google Earth, and it's doable. You need 150 yards for a CFL field (including end zones), and if the field was extended south, the end of the south end zone would be less than halfway through the parking lot. There would be a little space left over for a small stand at the south end of Lamport, too.

That said, I don't expect this to ever happen. I think it will be business as usual at BMO Field.

razor787
12-14-2017, 04:20 AM
I did a little measuring on Google Earth, and it's doable. You need 150 yards for in a CFL field (including end zones), and if the field was extended south, the end of the south end zone would be less than halfway through the parking lot. There would be a little space left over for a small stand at the south end of Lamport, too.

That said, I don't expect this to ever happen. I think it will be business as usual at BMO Field.

So you take away half of the parking but as more seats? Where would you expect people to park?

ensco
12-14-2017, 05:46 AM
Been thinking about this. Together with the Rogers statements about their sports businesses last week, this announcement is very meaningful.

As Bell and Larry already own the Argos, this is simply Rogers buying in to the Argos. But why? Why now?

Rogers could have bought into the CFL via MLSE anytime, they clearly didn't want to not very long ago, or this weird Tanenbaum/Bell purchase wouldn’t have been necessary in the first place.

Just this week Rogers dropped the bomb on sports franchise ownership - and this is for franchises in leagues where they have rights!
http://www.canadianbusiness.com/business-news/rogers-considering-sale-of-baseballs-blue-jays-stake-in-cogeco/
They very publicly stated that (i) they are not getting credit for the value of the sports teams in their stock price, and are looking at ways of “surfacing value”, and (ii) sports teams aren’t contributing - they make a 3% margin, vs 15% for their other businesses (and that 3% is with the Leafs/Raps doing a lot better than they were when they bought into MLSE), and (iii) they get what they need from the rights, not from owning teams. (Wouldn't surprise me if Bell feel the same way.)

If there's one certainty in life that I would bet on, it's that nobody in the world wants to own the Argos except Bell/TSN. There's just been too many years of trying to find buyers.

So both the fact of this, and the timing, are completely bizarre. How to connect the dots? My guess: all of MLSE is on the block, or will be put on the block soon, and this is cleanup as part of the sale process.

The MLSE Board is probably a powder keg waiting to go off, so the conditions for a breakup are always there, and when it ends, I bet we'll hear a ton about that. But I think the catalyst is that sports team values keep going up, skyrocketing really, but these are still bad businesses. The Rockets and Clippers each selling for over $2 billion has to have gotten their attention.

Rogers paid $180M for the Jays, and $500M for their share of MLSE, and they think those pieces are worth $1.6B and $1-1.5B now.

The strategic rationale for Bogers buying MLSE was to block new entrants in the wireless/data space, and that is less of a problem now than it was five years ago. Wind, Public Mobile, Virgin etc have all been smoked, their backers either lost hundreds of millions or were forced to sell out to the big players. Mission accomplished. Nobody is going to rescue Canadians from the highest cellphone and internet rates in the western world. (Thanks CRTC.)

So now what? They own a mishmash of assets in a weird industry they don't know how to manage. Tim Leiweke broke these guys. They want no part of the entertainment business, even when it works, suits don't like asset appreciation businesses that make no money, it scares them. Now is the time to sell. The teams are winning, so MLSE are getting playoff gate and TV booster shots now that they don’t always get. The numbers will all look good to prospective buyers. Bogers will take their chips, count their blessings, go home.

This Argos thing is a porthole into this, but the business reality is that it's a tiny sideshow, a detail that needs to be polished up. Having some (but not all) of the MLSE owners involved in the Argos was messy, for no good reason. When you are selling something for $3-4 billion, you don't need weird, hard to explain arrangements gumming things up. I'll be surprised if the price MLSE paid is more than pocket money, ie $5 million or something (if it was more, it's a kiss to Larry to play nice and go along).

I wouldn’t sweat about new renovations at BMO to make things better for the Argos, because of some new strategic priority. That's not what is going on. I bet things get worse for the Argos, not better, under this arrangement, because the guys who care (Bell) now sit one step removed, with MLSE in between. At the end of this, I'll further bet that Bell winds up buying the Argos for a dollar, from the new owner of MLSE, to save them from being shut down the day after the sale closes, like one of these dying small town newspapers.

MLSE will probably sell to a rich tech guy you've never heard of for bitcoin. Or a Russian or Chinese buyer. The world of offshore billionaires has grown a lot over the last five years. Some of them have houses in Toronto.

Oh one other thing - MLSE may be too big to sell as a single entity. Suspect they may bust it up into pieces, to maximize value. The local sports monopoly thing is a corporate play, and less of a rich guy thing. There are a lot more people who might pay $2 billion for the Raps or Leafs, or $200M for TFC, than there are people who would pay $4 billion for all of it.

Just my wild assed speculation. I know nothing.

James17930
12-14-2017, 06:34 AM
So you take away half of the parking but as more seats? Where would you expect people to park?

The 504 King ;)

OgtheDim
12-14-2017, 06:41 AM
Bogers won't sell MLSE until the Leafs are consistently winning - the profit potential there is huge.

I also think part of the sell off is related to Sportsnet and that hockey contract that is not making money.

CFL world is full of dinosaurs that make Don Cherry look civilised - football in the US is king where ever it goes and no organization in Canada has had to be second fiddle to another property under an umbrella. It will be interesting seeing how those guys deal with being noticeably 4th fiddle behind the Raptors, for example.

Well it would be interesting to me before I completely gave up on the CFL after how they thought it was OK to bring in Art Briles.

ensco
12-14-2017, 07:16 AM
Bogers won't sell MLSE until the Leafs are consistently winning - the profit potential there is huge.

Rogers has already symbolically hung the “for sale” sign out with those public statements. They could be blunt about the Jays because they 100% own them. They were more oblique about MLSE, but the analysts sure got the joke.

Crystallizing a $500 million or billion dollar profit on MLSE dwarfs anything they could hope to do with the Leafs.

redcard
12-14-2017, 09:07 AM
Maybe they build the argos some offices/permanent locker room at Kia training ground for practice.
Otherwise we have some minor signage at bmo already for argos, and does anyone really notice it?
I was really skeptical about the field, and it seemed much better for the final this year compared to last,
I imagine the argos will be alot like the Marlies including the free tickets that we will likely get now.
Football fans in toronto want to see Tom brady, not Ricky ray, or the nameless qbs on every other team.

I don't see them build offices at KIA, MLSE normally keeps budgets separate between teams.

With the wolfpack wanting to improve Lamport and MLSE being the caretakers of that facility, I wouldn't be surprised to see Lamport either being the practice facility and offices of the Argos. They are desperate to get a foothold of the liberty village crowd. (that's where all they promotions were focused.)

I see Lamport being redone, with the stadium being expanded into the parking lot, likely a 20K no frills stadium. Wolfpack will need more capacity as they move towards the Super league.

TFC07
12-14-2017, 10:18 AM
I except some rich American to buy out MLSE (or at least Maple Leafs, Raptors and ACC) if they're truly for sale. Also, I except TFC and Argos will be sold together to someone desperate to get into MLS (probably some rich soccer loving foreigner).

The whole Blue Jay thing is that Rogers probably don't want to spend more money on Rogers centre to make it more baseball friendly stadium. So they're (quietly) cashing out now or at least see who's interested in buying blue jays.

Fort York Redcoat
12-14-2017, 10:49 AM
YAY moar cross marketing! Ransom packs everywhere!

I like Disney buying Fox better.

Toronto Ruffrider
12-14-2017, 11:24 AM

Just saying, it could be done. Obviously this wouldn't be an ideal reno. The parking situation aside, there are better locations in the GTA for CFL football.

Duelfuel
12-14-2017, 11:51 AM
I'm guessing this means Rogers will now carry some CFL games.

I have little doubt this will hilariously characterized as more consumer choice at the CRTC.

Yes, Canadian Content, especially with the Halifax franchise on the horizon.

Duelfuel
12-14-2017, 11:53 AM
Not another Argos thread...:(

:cool:

Gringo Starr
12-14-2017, 12:42 PM
Argos are apparently trying to get a long term lease for the old Don Bosco High School in Rexdale for a practice facility so Tfc should have Downsview for themselves

Initial B
12-14-2017, 12:57 PM
I don't see them selling MLSE, because those teams are basically free media content for their networks and websites.

Enterprise Captain
12-14-2017, 01:06 PM
They already effectively owned them through Bell and Tannenbaum. This just looks like some organizational reshuffling as opposed to a takeover. Not sure what this means for either our future or theirs, if it means anything at all.
Agreed. I don't think much is going to change from a TFC perspective. The only thing I see changing from an Argos perspective is better front office management. I'm 98.5% sure the Argos didn't have a parade this year because the Argos front office didn't file the paperwork with the city on time.

Oldtimer
12-14-2017, 01:07 PM
I don't see them selling MLSE, because those teams are basically free media content for their networks and websites.
Exactly. That's also why they want their teams to win, playoffs build viewership (Teachers Pension Plan could not have cared less when they owned MLSE. If they buy the Jays, there won't be a World Series in the 6ix until they divest).

trane
12-14-2017, 01:07 PM
I am not crazy about the Argo's at BMO. Not at all. But what can we do. Lets just worry about growing our club in every way.

I am not anti-Argo at all. I no longer watch North American Football, but if I do, it is CFL. I appreciate the Argo's tradition in this city, and would like them to do well, but I do not think that sharing BMO with us is good for them, they need their own stadium to become their own fortress, BMO will always be red.

Auzzy
12-14-2017, 01:10 PM
Been thinking about this. Together with the Rogers statements about their sports businesses last week, this announcement is very meaningful.

Very interesting analysis. Just wondering though, isn't the situation for Rogers/Blue Jays quite different than for MLSE?

The Blue Jays play in a league with no hard salary cap, with a tough road to the playoffs in the AL East unless you spend a ton of money. They're in a huge, anachronistic, white-elephant stadium that needs expensive upgrades. Fan support also seems quite fickle.

MLSE plays in all salary-cap leagues; venues reasonably up-to-date; and has a variety of revenue streams incl. venue management, real estate, various Real Sports ventures, etc. OK they've spent lots on players (& coaches/mgmt.) on various teams recently. I'm just guessing that the overall margins for MLSE are much better over time.

But sure, everything is likely in play for the right price. Cleaning up the Argos situation might help. (But I guess the Argos are big money-losers overall, outside of their importance to stay alive for CFL and TSN??) I never guessed that Bogers would be in this as long as they have been.

Auzzy
12-14-2017, 01:13 PM

But Rogers had to pay A TON for NHL broadcast rights, and is apparently taking a bath on it...

whositwhatnow
12-14-2017, 01:24 PM
Jays will be next,

ryan
12-14-2017, 01:33 PM

They moved out of KTG. Not coming back there.

ensco
12-14-2017, 01:41 PM

Not free. There's the cost of capital, which is hundreds of millions a year in this case. You could do something else with the $4 billion.

You either rent it or you own it. What the Rogers CFO was saying to analysts last week is that he thinks you can rent it.

redcard
12-14-2017, 02:35 PM
Argos are apparently trying to get a long term lease for the old Don Bosco High School in Rexdale for a practice facility so Tfc should have Downsview for themselves

The Argos have a large banner at the entrance to Don Bosco. They are surely going to stay put at that highschool.

Still can't wrap my head around Rogers agreeing to take in the Argos when they are ready to offload the Jays. Even though they stated they will still renovate Skydome...something is surely going on.

MLSE may just split up the teams and sell them off to various buyers as a package. Raps and Leafs (both at ACC) and TFC and Argos (both at BMO).

C.Ronaldo
12-14-2017, 03:06 PM
No. The safe standing will be Bundesliga style, with seats that can be folded down. For Argos games they will be down.

can i fold them down for half time. im not 90 min fit anymore

Red CB Toronto
12-14-2017, 03:10 PM
Argos schedule for 2018 is out, much more consistent this year with 7 Saturdays, 1 Friday and a Thursday. Also it's nicely spread out. Should benefit them.

https://www.argonauts.ca/2017/12/14/argos-unveil-2018-schedule/

Amir FC
12-14-2017, 03:54 PM
I dont like this at all. Obviously this deal was done a few months ago not just over night. That's why Bill Manning made an announcement about future renovation. I'm afraid the safe standing zone will have foldable blue seats plus the north side would be completely blue since Argos are now actually sharing the stadium as a primary tenant. I dont understand why BMO only gets renovated when some deal is done with CFL.

Argos didnt have a parade because of lack of support. I think it was 100th graycup when they had one, it was just regular people working in downtown who stood around watched them. How much more popular soccer has to be in Toronto to have it's own stadium. How is the schedule out? I thought they have to work around TFC. What'll happen when MLS keeps adding teams? TFC will have at least 2 more home games this year.

Pitch wasn't in a good shape for Crew game on Nov 29, you could see some lines. I am sick and tired of being worried about ARGOS, never knew about them for 20 some years. I am tired of being worried about TFC's future stadium. If anything major changes like blue seats, I am not buying season tickets.

Fort York Redcoat
12-14-2017, 04:16 PM
Yes, Canadian Content, especially with the Halifax franchise on the horizon.

Bahahahaha

How did you post this from 90's?

I guess horizons are relative?

Good luck on expansion, tho.

BBTBB

Bring Back The Balmy Beach

Red4ever
12-14-2017, 04:57 PM
Interesting thread.

I didn't go to a single Argos game at Rogers Centre. The experience at BMO is great, albeit too big for them. But they aren't moving.

All that being said, it's the league that's suffering not the Argos. I watch way less CFL as it's no longer a CBC property and thus I have to buy cable to watch it. The best thing the CFL could do is jump back in bed with CBC in 2021 when everyone has cut the cord.

Shit by then Trudeau will be running for a third term and will be shoring up CBC funding anyway.

BelfastBoy
12-14-2017, 10:01 PM
I dont like this at all. Obviously this deal was done a few months ago not just over night. That's why Bill Manning made an announcement about future renovation. I'm afraid the safe standing zone will have foldable blue seats plus the north side would be completely blue since Argos are now actually sharing the stadium as a primary tenant. I dont understand why BMO only gets renovated when some deal is done with CFL.

Argos didnt have a parade because of lack of support. I think it was 100th graycup when they had one, it was just regular people working in downtown who stood around watched them. How much more popular soccer has to be in Toronto to have it's own stadium. How is the schedule out? I thought they have to work around TFC. What'll happen when MLS keeps adding teams? TFC will have at least 2 more home games this year.

Pitch wasn't in a good shape for Crew game on Nov 29, you could see some lines. I am sick and tired of being worried about ARGOS, never knew about them for 20 some years. I am tired of being worried about TFC's future stadium. If anything major changes like blue seats, I am not buying season tickets.

There's no way they do blue seats in some sections and keep red in others. Would look so bad. I think it will be business as usual. The schedule for the CFL being released already is surprising though.

redcard
12-15-2017, 12:29 AM
There's no way they do blue seats in some sections and keep red in others. Would look so bad. I think it will be business as usual. The schedule for the CFL being released already is surprising though.

I'm sure the MLS schedule is already set as well. It just hasn't been released. Changes can always be made to their schedule. Plus with the world cup MLS will be off for the group stage.

CFL has extended the time off between games as well. I suppose they figure it will minimize the CTE damage.

The CFL will be in trouble when the next set of data comes out and they will not be able to deny it.

I smell the payout to past players will end up killing the league.

James17930
12-15-2017, 02:07 AM
If there is at least a week between Argos and TFC games next year, I don't think we'll even be talking about the pitch anymore.

But when playoff time comes ... that's when it could get dicey.

ensco
12-15-2017, 08:33 AM
Globe columnist argues that this happened .... because it's what the Bell CEO wanted. (Because that's how Rogers makes decisions - they call up Bell and ask what they want!)
https://www.theglobeandmail.com/report-on-business/streetwise/in-a-consolidating-sector-mlses-argos-acquisition-makes-perfect-business-sense/article37337507/

I had another thought this morning - the Rogers did this as a gesture, to lower the temperature on the MLSE board and to improve the chances that MLSE will buy the Jays. But that assumes that Bell likes the current sports ownership strategy. I have serious doubts about that.

TheGoodson
12-15-2017, 08:41 AM
Globe columnist argues that this happened .... because it's what the Bell CEO wanted. (Because that's how Rogers makes decisions - they call up Bell and ask what they want!)
https://www.theglobeandmail.com/report-on-business/streetwise/in-a-consolidating-sector-mlses-argos-acquisition-makes-perfect-business-sense/article37337507/

I had another thought this morning - the Rogers did this as a gesture, to lower the temperature on the MLSE board and to improve the chances that MLSE will buy the Jays. But that assumes that Bell likes the current sports ownership strategy. I have serious doubts about that.

MLSE can’t buy the Jays as it’s a corporation. It has to be a single individual same as the NFL. The majority owner needs to be an individual. The only way around it possibly would be that Larry T buys 51% of the Jays and MLSE covers the balance. I don’t know the rules if that is even possible.

Rogers bought the Jays prior to the rules being changed, so I’m not sure if MLB would make a concession to approve a sale to MLSE.

fergiejr
12-15-2017, 09:08 AM
MLSE can’t buy the Jays as it’s a corporation. It has to be a single individual same as the NFL. The majority owner needs to be an individual. The only way around it possibly would be that Larry T buys 51% of the Jays and MLSE covers the balance. I don’t know the rules if that is even possible.

I know in business it is possible for a party to go into a merger with another party and still maintain controlling interest in the merged company while not having to come up with the majority of the cash. Case in point is telecom companies who operate in Canada - they have to be controlled by a Canadian company (thanks to the CRTC) but can be bought by an international company - while the Canadian part maintains controlling interest. So MLSE might be able to pony up the cash, but Larry T. could hold 51% of the voting shares or something like that.

Ajax TFC
12-15-2017, 09:48 AM

Rogers bought the Jays prior to the rules being changed, so I’m not sure if MLB would make a concession to approve a sale to MLSE.
Rogers isn't a single individual either? What's the difference between the current ownership and what it would be if MLSE bought it? Or the teachers for that matter?

Cas87
12-15-2017, 10:04 AM
Rogers isn't a single individual either? What's the difference between the current ownership and what it would be if MLSE bought it? Or the teachers for that matter?

I think when it comes to Rogers/Jays the corporation is the bankroll but its was Ted Rogers (and now his son) listed to MLB as the owner

12-15-2017, 10:08 AM

When Rogers bought the Jays, there were no rules against corporate ownership. Since then, MLB has gone the NFL route where they only want individuals.

Now, maybe they'd make an exception here because Bell would only be buying a minority stake, not majority.

I think Rogers would rather sell the Jays outright to someone else and then sign a sweetheart TV deal with the new owner. I doubt they want to split the lucrative TV rights of the Jays with Bell. But they may have no choice as it will be hard to find someone rich enough to spend 1.5B for the Jays then spend another 500M for improvements to SkyDome.

OgtheDim
12-16-2017, 07:11 AM
When it comes to selling the Jays, all I would like to see is them pull down that stupid Rogers statue.

Fernandinho
12-16-2017, 11:53 AM
When it comes to selling the Jays, all I would like to see is them pull down that stupid Rogers statue.

The statue has been removed for now! Hopefully it stays that way.

https://www.bluebirdbanter.com/2017/11/13/16643058/no-more-ted-rogers-statue-alex-anthopoulos-atlanta-braves

Eastend
12-16-2017, 07:41 PM
Argos schedule for 2018 is out, much more consistent this year with 7 Saturdays, 1 Friday and a Thursday. Also it's nicely spread out. Should benefit them.

https://www.argonauts.ca/2017/12/14/argos-unveil-2018-schedule/

Hope TFC's schedule has the same proportion of Saturday home games.

JuliquE
12-16-2017, 10:01 PM
The statue has been removed for now! Hopefully it stays that way.

https://www.bluebirdbanter.com/2017/11/13/16643058/no-more-ted-rogers-statue-alex-anthopoulos-atlanta-braves
o.0 What an avatar!

Definitely a point of pride, when you think on the Argos' history, just annoying the way they've carried themselves, at times.

That said, I've been happy with how the groundskeeper has managed the pitch, during their time at BMO, last year's final notwithstanding.

Going forward, I hope people behind the scenes are keeping score and that TFC's best interest is never under threat.

What'd I tell you about always ending your stories one sentence earlier?

I hear what you're saying, and, although I'm maybe a bit more optimistic, I wouldn't ordinarily "step in the way" of the likes of you and others singing a similar tune… but, saying you'll drop or not buy seasons, not days removed from an unbelievable, record-setting, treble-winning season? Don't be that guy.

Blkndkr
12-17-2017, 07:24 AM
I hear what you're saying, and, although I'm maybe a bit more optimistic, I wouldn't ordinarily "step in the way" of the likes of you and others singing a similar tune… but, saying you'll drop or not buy seasons, not days removed from an unbelievable, record-setting, treble-winning season? Don't be that guy.

Couldnt agree more. Everyone knows it’s bs. You aren’t going anywhere. If you ARE going to stop supporting due to the colour of your seat, well, then just slink away quietly. More room for the rest of us when safe standing gets installed.

Greatest Ripoff
12-17-2017, 10:03 AM
I don't see them build offices at KIA, MLSE normally keeps budgets separate between teams.

With the wolfpack wanting to improve Lamport and MLSE being the caretakers of that facility, I wouldn't be surprised to see Lamport either being the practice facility and offices of the Argos. They are desperate to get a foothold of the liberty village crowd. (that's where all they promotions were focused.)

I see Lamport being redone, with the stadium being expanded into the parking lot, likely a 20K no frills stadium. Wolfpack will need more capacity as they move towards the Super league.

MLSE aren't the caretakers of Lamport. In exchange for loosing the fake turf and dome at BMO, they have to put up a dome and look after it over the winter. The city still owns and runs Lamport. You can go on the city website and book it for your own use.

Duelfuel
12-19-2017, 12:46 PM
Bahahahaha

How did you post this from 90's?

I guess horizons are relative?

Good luck on expansion, tho.

BBTBB

Bring Back The Balmy Beach

Just some vision...

RedsYNWA
12-19-2017, 09:20 PM
Interesting thread.

I didn't go to a single Argos game at Rogers Centre. The experience at BMO is great, albeit too big for them. But they aren't moving.

All that being said, it's the league that's suffering not the Argos. I watch way less CFL as it's no longer a CBC property and thus I have to buy cable to watch it. The best thing the CFL could do is jump back in bed with CBC in 2021 when everyone has cut the cord.

Shit by then Trudeau will be running for a third term and will be shoring up CBC funding anyway.

Good God Please No :nono: