PDA

View Full Version : Thank you for your service Raheem !!

Red CB Toronto
12-12-2017, 02:23 PM
Goodbye to the dream.

Cuchulain
12-12-2017, 02:24 PM
Will they try to get him back?

fergiejr
12-12-2017, 02:31 PM
Ah crap. With some development he could have been Morrow's heir.

Thanks for your efforts Raheem.

BenRhodes23
12-12-2017, 02:35 PM
He could still come back...

KevinOHH
12-12-2017, 02:41 PM
I suspect he'll be back just like the Irwin situation last year when Atlanta drafted him in the expansion draft.

noimpactinmtl
12-12-2017, 02:47 PM
Will they try to get him back?

For Cooper+TAM?

Ajax TFC
12-12-2017, 02:48 PM
I wont accept that he's gone until LA announces their trades.

Smokecell
12-12-2017, 03:12 PM
Say it isn't so Raheem :(

jloome
12-12-2017, 03:29 PM
Say it isn't so Raheem :(

I still can't believe they left him unprotected. Jesus. We better trade back for him. He has a future.

ensco
12-12-2017, 03:31 PM
I still can't believe they left him unprotected. Jesus. We better trade back for him. He has a future.

Who would you have exposed? Hagglund? Zavaleta? Osorio?

Same thing would've happened.

Ajax TFC
12-12-2017, 03:40 PM
Calculated risk. Osorio probably less likely to be taken if left exposed (much higher salary on top of being international), but bigger loss if taken. Edwards, more likely to be taken, but less of a loss. They took the safer approach and I'm sure they wouldn't do anything differently even if they knew what was going to happen

ensco
12-12-2017, 03:46 PM
Calculated risk. Osorio probably less likely to be taken if left exposed (much higher salary on top of being international), but bigger loss if taken. Edwards, more likely to be taken, but less of a loss. They took the safer approach and I'm sure they wouldn't do anything differently even if they knew what was going to happen

Osorio would have been flipped to Vancouver or Montreal, guaranteed!

trane
12-12-2017, 04:39 PM
Fuck the expansion draft.

12-12-2017, 04:42 PM
I got upset at this news, but then I just reminded myself that we won the cup! That helped. g:D

Smokecell
12-12-2017, 04:43 PM
Edwards and Raitala to Limp act for Ciman

Shway
12-12-2017, 04:45 PM
Raheem in Impact colours is a mockery. Fuck you Braz.

Kaz
12-12-2017, 04:58 PM
Raheem in Impact colours is a mockery. Fuck you Braz.

Well that settles it.. we must burn down LA.

Figuratively of course, in today's legal climate this disclaimer may be needed.

TFC07
12-12-2017, 05:02 PM
On positive note, he probably be getting consistent minutes with Impact which is good for national team.

notthesun
12-12-2017, 05:03 PM
Anyone but fucking Montreal. Fuck.

Red CB Toronto
12-12-2017, 05:04 PM
Osorio would have been flipped to Vancouver or Montreal, guaranteed!

Well it is exactly what happened with Raheem being pegged for a move up the 401/20.

69Chevy396
12-12-2017, 05:12 PM
Well it is exactly what happened with Raheem being pegged for a move up the 401/20.
I thought Edwards was better than Osorio, Hasler, or Delgado, during the first part of the year. He was very good most games, Had pace, composure, accurate distribution, and good tackler. Then he disappeared for most of the second half. Did he piss off Vanney? Was he hurt? I think he will be a star in MLS

General Woolfe
12-12-2017, 05:15 PM
Why wasnt Edwards protected as a Homegrown Player?

UltraFootyKWC
12-12-2017, 05:15 PM
Anyone but fucking Montreal. Fuck.

My sentiment exactly. :facepalm:

notthesun
12-12-2017, 05:22 PM
I thought Edwards was better than Osorio, Hasler, or Delgado, during the first part of the year. He was very good most games, Had pace, composure, accurate distribution, and good tackler. Then he disappeared for most of the second half. Did he piss off Vanney? Was he hurt? I think he will be a star in MLS

He started off incredibly hot then just cooled off a bit. Had a real bad performance against Ottawa in the VCup.

No question he's a good player and I think he'll develop into an everyday MLS starter if he isn't already. The good thing for him is he should get lots of playing time, it just makes me sick to my stomach it has to be with Montreal.

BenRhodes23
12-12-2017, 05:31 PM
It's a sad day... It won't be the same seeing him in blue next season. I hope he does well but Montreal doesn't

nonc
12-12-2017, 05:47 PM

Same thing would've happened.

Edwards has more upside than Osorio and Zavaleta so yeah I would've done that.

Inklink
12-12-2017, 05:50 PM

I'd expose all three over Raheem.

Oh well, hope Bez signs some nice big talent to make me forget about this. But it sucks.

portu
12-12-2017, 05:58 PM
If you lose one of Hagglund and Zavaleta at least you have the other if you lose Raheem then.... I just dont get it tbh

Gringo Starr
12-12-2017, 06:00 PM
As bad as it is for us as fans think how awful it must be for Edwards.

top of the world one day with Champions league to look forward to then being shipped to your rivals, a team hated by basically everyone you know, that has got to really suck. If I was Edwards I'd try to look for a European option rather than ever suit up for the Impact

portu
12-12-2017, 06:09 PM
As bad as it is for us as fans think how awful it must be for Edwards.

top of the world one day with Champions league to look forward to then being shipped to your rivals, a team hated by basically everyone you know, that has got to really suck. If I was Edwards I'd try to look for a European option rather than ever suit up for the Impact
Rt and he has the talent to do it

ensco
12-12-2017, 06:13 PM
No way he should have exposed Edwards over those guys.

Hagglund and Zavaleta are young cheap talented Americans, who also have allstar potential. Osorio just started for the best team in history, and is only 25- he has not reached his peak yet.

They are all worth more than Raheem.

Raheem has a lot of potential, but all three of those guys are very valuable, and have more value.

Putting aside the fact that Bez/Vanney have earned our trust... I think they got it right.

It's a championship club problem. They are saving their firepower for something bigger. We are going for it again. There are going to be numerous massive signings in MLS over the next six months, and we will get a couple.

UpTheReds
12-12-2017, 06:29 PM
I would have left Zavaleta. I know he was consistent for us but let’s be honest, his role is a dime a dozen. Edwards was a dynamic winger who could beat a player and was really developing a killer final ball. I really don’t understand leaving him unprotected.

Kaz
12-12-2017, 06:33 PM
If you lose one of Hagglund and Zavaleta at least you have the other if you lose Raheem then.... I just dont get it tbh

Well Zavaleta was never going to not be protected... I mean... he has become a decent player and the next words shouldn't reflect on my opinion on why he starts regularly he earned his spot I think. But nepotism means he was never going to be left unprotected.

Hagglund has load of potential to be here for years to come. Raheem is a unknown and Osorio I suspect is being groomed to be Bradley's replacement if he can get his emotions in check.

I don't like seeing Raheem go. He however was the odd man out. Hagglund is rate, Osorio is rate and Zavaleta is both rated and related to the head coach.

GerMc
12-12-2017, 06:35 PM
I just can't help thinking, as some other folks on this thread and others have said, that there is something else going on. After such a stellar start to the year, Edwards all but disappeared, and his few appearances toward the end of the season did not impress. I understand he did not even dress for the MLS Cup. I would love to know what led to his time going down, and I know that his bad form later in the season could be due to lack of minutes, but something doesn't add up. I think that something, whatever it was, must have led to him being left unprotected. With all due respect to Oso and Zavaleta, when Edwards was in form at the start of the season, he was on fire, and I would have protected him before those two. But end of season Edwards was a pale shadow of start of season Edwards. I guess we will see next year. It is too bad...a great Canadian kid with tons of potential!

ensco
12-12-2017, 06:38 PM
^I was at the Ottawa away game (it was a debacle, if you recall, best forgotten), at field level. It was interesting because you could see and hear things you don't normally. Vanney was really, seriously torqued with both Raheem and Jordan Hamilton in that game, and he was letting them know. I posted this at the time - my best guess was that they weren't doing what he wanted positionally.

It wasn't too long after that when Raheem (and Jordan) disappeared totally from the rotation.

I am not saying I don’t rate Raheem. I wish we still had him. Just describing what I saw.

Yohan
12-12-2017, 06:46 PM
I feel bad for Raheem. Wearing an IMFC jersey is like wearing a shit smeared rag.

ensco
12-12-2017, 06:48 PM
Well Zavaleta was never going to not be protected... I mean... he has become a decent player and the next words should reflect on my opinion on why he starts regularly he earned his spot I think. But nepotism means he was never going to be left unprotected.

Hagglund has load of potential to be here for years to come. Raheem is a unknown and Osorio I suspect is being groomed to be Bradley's replacement if he can get his emotions in check.

I don't like seeing Raheem go. He however was the odd man out. Hagglund is rate, Osorio is rate and Zavaleta is both rated and related to the head coach.

This is a load of bullcrap. Zavaleta was an effing shutdown defender in the playoffs. He didn’t play in the Final for situational reasons only. If there is anyone who wavered a bit on the back line in the playoffs, it was Moor.

I hope you reconsider this comment, it is massively unfair to Vanney and Zavaleta, and doesn’t reflect the reality that personnel decisions belong just as much or more to Bez and Manning.

German21
12-12-2017, 06:55 PM
Edwards was homegrown for us though wasnt he? which means all we got back in losing him is a another home grown spot. its not like we gained an international slot or a high salary guy. We just lost a cheap decent player that didnt count on the roster. I'd rather have him back then some high priced international that performs similar to him. big cheap shoes to fill.

Derko
12-12-2017, 07:05 PM
I think it was an attitude thing with Raheem, I don't like losing him, but as has been said he literally disappeared for long periods of time, and was rather invisible when he got minimal minutes. I liked the potential but saw a bit of juvenile petulance at the wrong time, Canadian Championship red card comes to mind

wopchop
12-12-2017, 07:45 PM
Edwards was homegrown for us though wasnt he? which means all we got back in losing him is a another home grown spot. its not like we gained an international slot or a high salary guy. We just lost a cheap decent player that didnt count on the roster. I'd rather have him back then some high priced international that performs similar to him. big cheap shoes to fill.
I think that he technically must not be Homegrown because he was not part of the Academy when he went Pro. He signed his first pro contract with TFC II after playing for the Sheridan Bruins. Prior to Sheridan, he was at the Academy in 2014. I'm not sure for how long. It's possible that there is some sort of minimum time requirement.

The other question is, if he ain't Homegrown, then why did he show up on LAFCs roster as a non-international?

God, I hate expansion drafts.

rydermike
12-12-2017, 07:51 PM
I think that he technically must not be Homegrown because he was not part of the Academy when he went Pro. He signed his first pro contract with TFC II after playing for the Sheridan Bruins. Prior to Sheridan, he was at the Academy in 2014. I'm not sure for how long. It's possible that there is some sort of minimum time requirement.

The other question is, if he ain't Homegrown, then why did he show up on LAFCs roster as a non-international?

God, I hate expansion drafts.

Edwards not appearing as international probably was just an error. They probably grabbed the information from our page, where he was domestic, and just moved it over and forgot about the Canadian domestic rule

T.O TILL I DIE
12-12-2017, 08:03 PM
With Edwards being from Toronto im sure hes just as upset as we are that hes going to Montreal..

ManUtd4ever
12-12-2017, 08:11 PM
I'm not happy about this at all, but I don't fault management. We're stacked, and we were bound to lose a solid asset no matter what.

ag futbol
12-12-2017, 08:13 PM
I would have left Zavaleta. I know he was consistent for us but let’s be honest, his role is a dime a dozen. Edwards was a dynamic winger who could beat a player and was really developing a killer final ball. I really don’t understand leaving him unprotected.
We take for granted how easily our CB ‘s blanket other teams best players. I’d rather have an extra CB, in all honesty and i’m Really high on Edwards potential.

TheSloanRanger
12-12-2017, 08:14 PM
With Edwards being from Toronto im sure hes just as upset as we are that hes going to Montreal..

If he wasn't drunk at the parade ... he sure as hell will be now

Initial B
12-12-2017, 08:23 PM
^I was at the Ottawa away game (it was a debacle, if you recall, best forgotten), at field level. It was interesting because you could see and hear things you don't normally. Vanney was really, seriously torqued with both Raheem and Jordan Hamilton in that game, and he was letting them know. I posted this at the time - my best guess was that they weren't doing what he wanted positionally.

It wasn't too long after that when Raheem (and Jordan) disappeared totally from the rotation.

I am not saying I don’t rate Raheem. I wish we still had him. Just describing what I saw.
I was at that game too (though in the Fury Supporter Section) and I didn't notice Vanney getting hot at just them. The whole team kind of mailed it in and got burned that game. I remember Chapman specifically getting a lot of flak.

ensco
12-12-2017, 08:29 PM
I was at that game too (though in the Fury Supporter Section) and I didn't notice Vanney getting hot at just them. The whole team kind of mailed it in and got burned that game. I remember Chapman specifically getting a lot of flak.

Funny I don’t remember that.

So not much really to go on from that story!

notthesun
12-12-2017, 08:30 PM
I don't buy any of this attitude stuff at all, there is no reason anywhere to suggest Vanney or any management had a problem with Raheem. Garbage. Do you bring on a player you don't like or trust when defending a road playoff draw with 10 minutes left? Because we just did that with Edwards.

He took his chance when Morrow was away with the national team and played above expectations, then regressed a little bit. More importantly, Morrow came back and didn't lose his spot after regaining it. That's all.

We're a championship team with the best depth in the league, this is just a numbers game. As mentioned anyone else we could have left unprotected would have had greater value.

The real issue is MLS forcing this artificial parity when they should just give expansion teams more allocation money. The league is good enough now that new teams, especially ones with shiny new stadiums, can attract more than enough quality players elsewhere to create a competitive team out of the gate.

General Woolfe
12-12-2017, 09:22 PM
Thanks for your service Raheem and dreams of your potential. Normally I’d wish you good luck with your new club, but to hell with that. Through no fault of your own I know, but I hope it goes badly for you in Poutineland

PAOK17
12-12-2017, 09:32 PM
I don't buy the "he disappeared" argument either. He started the season well. Then he had that one game against Ottawa in May. Sure he didn't play well, but if that is what it takes to get rid of players, then I guess Nylander and Marner should have been buried in the minors a month ago. Also, it's not like the Ottawa game was his last game. Nor did his poor play continue beyond that game. Did he not provide, according to Giovinco, the "perfect pass" on the game winner against Montreal in the final? Did he not play well against NYCFC away? What about his goal at the end of July? All of these examples are right off the top of my head.

And as mentioned above, he was brought in to play the last 10 minutes of the first leg against Columbus. As a side note, there's a lot of people in here who expected him to come in that game and some how be the all star in those 10 minutes. The goal was not to concede at that point. As "poorly" as he played that day, he did have a game saving block.

The real reason he got little playing time was because he played against Morrow. In the beginning of the season, Morrow looked off. He may have also been a little injured. Also he missed time with the US. In comes Edwards, and does exceptionally well. But when Morrow came back, he was in super form. As well as Edwards played, he wasn't 8 goals by a wing-back good. There was no way he was going to get minutes ahead of Morrow.

Blindside16
12-13-2017, 01:56 AM
I feel bad for Raheem. Wearing an IMFC jersey is like wearing a shit smeared rag.

I would rather wear the shit smeared rag. I feel for Raheem but hopefully he gets the minutes he needs to become a force on the National team.

adam1001
12-13-2017, 09:51 AM
Not happy that he was taken, but really makes me wonder whether there was something going on behind the scenes. Recent comment's by Seattle's GM make it seem like there is some disclosure in the process and management knows what to expect on draft day.

trane
12-13-2017, 10:03 AM
My problem with this is that Morrow and Betashour are getting up there in age, and Edwards is going to be a top notch MLS fullback and perhaps more.

But while I do not like it, I do not fault management because I do not know what rational when into making the decision. I think it is hard not to leave any good players of the unprotected list.

KRO
12-13-2017, 10:05 AM
Can we promise not to boo him when he comes back?

trane
12-13-2017, 10:09 AM
I would not boo him, this was not his choice.

Initial B
12-13-2017, 10:24 AM
Sorry to see him go. I thought he had a future here. Now I'm hoping his future is in Europe.

RealG-TFC
12-13-2017, 10:40 AM
Sorry to see him go. I thought he had a future here. Now I'm hoping his future is in Europe.

As sucks as it is to see him go to a rival, this might be the best move for him to for that to become a reality with Montreal now having Garde as coach.

shwade
12-13-2017, 12:13 PM
I don't buy the "he disappeared" argument either. He started the season well. Then he had that one game against Ottawa in May. Sure he didn't play well, but if that is what it takes to get rid of players, then I guess Nylander and Marner should have been buried in the minors a month ago. Also, it's not like the Ottawa game was his last game. Nor did his poor play continue beyond that game. Did he not provide, according to Giovinco, the "perfect pass" on the game winner against Montreal in the final? Did he not play well against NYCFC away? What about his goal at the end of July? All of these examples are right off the top of my head.

And as mentioned above, he was brought in to play the last 10 minutes of the first leg against Columbus. As a side note, there's a lot of people in here who expected him to come in that game and some how be the all star in those 10 minutes. The goal was not to concede at that point. As "poorly" as he played that day, he did have a game saving block.

The real reason he got little playing time was because he played against Morrow. In the beginning of the season, Morrow looked off. He may have also been a little injured. Also he missed time with the US. In comes Edwards, and does exceptionally well. But when Morrow came back, he was in super form. As well as Edwards played, he wasn't 8 goals by a wing-back good. There was no way he was going to get minutes ahead of Morrow.

He definitely made the most of his minutes for sure. He was Always an attacking threat...he just had more work to do on defensively tracking back.

His crosses into the box more often than not were seriously threatening and his attack in the box was exciting and fresh. I hope we can get him back just for his upside. Excellent replacement for Morrow in a couple of years.

Still Kicking
12-13-2017, 01:04 PM
Truly sorry to see Raheem Edwards taken away and tossed to Montreal. A horrible process.

Want to throw my support in this discussion behind the solid contributions this season of Erik Zavaletta. I started this season holding my breath when he had the ball at his feet, thinking of him as a big physical presence but perhaps the weak link when it came to going forward and finding open midfielders, but I learned to breathe and smile. Maybe he played more because of Hagglund's injuries, but he proved to be a full contributing all around player this year.

Jack
12-13-2017, 01:27 PM
This is a load of bullcrap. Zavaleta was an effing shutdown defender in the playoffs. He didn’t play in the Final for situational reasons only. If there is anyone who wavered a bit on the back line in the playoffs, it was Moor.

I hope you reconsider this comment, it is massively unfair to Vanney and Zavaleta, and doesn’t reflect the reality that personnel decisions belong just as much or more to Bez and Manning.

Agreed 100% with everything said here. I was going to say pretty much the same thing until I read this g:D

Raheem has potential, but the guys we protected ahead of him are established and proven players for us.

TFC1154ever
12-13-2017, 03:06 PM
Before I say this, I want people to know that I am nitpicking, and we are the class of MLS, with our next goal being the best team in North America.

The part that sucks about Edwards leaving is that he probably would have gotten close 20 games this season with all that’s going on. That’s not including Morrow getting hurt. He was the perfect backup LWB with him slowly growing into a starter in the future. And he’s Canadian a top of that.

Again I’m being nitpicky, but I would have left Zavaleta unprotected. Of the 4 CB we were rotating (not including Hernandez here) in my opinion, he’s the worst of the 4. I will always remember the series against Montreal last year, where Piatti literally made him his bitch. Even though his passing has gotten better, it’s still mediocre. He good in the air, which I’ll give him, but his one on one defending isn’t up to par. When he’s not being focused on, he’s solid in the 3. But when teams get him isolated, they run at him and he gets exposed. I know for fact. I know someone personally that plays on the impact, and he told that the game they won 5-3 at BMO, there game plan was to attack Zavaleta’s side (Go look at the tape, it’s true).

With all the money TFC is getting this year to spend, I would have liked them to upgrade on him for champions league, and protect Edwards. My 2 cents anyways.

Fort York Redcoat
12-14-2017, 10:36 AM
This is a Thank You thread.

Thanks Raheem and good luck except against us.

And especially when you wear the Canada kit.

PizzaEatingYeti
12-14-2017, 11:03 AM
Thank you Raheen for your contribution to TFC's 2016 and 2017 season!

I wish you a great 2018 season at the Limp Act, to be one of their best and most valued 3 players over the next year, ...but to be another downer year for that team collectively.

JuliquE
12-14-2017, 03:47 PM
This one stings.

Thanks, Raheem, and all the best.

I agree… and I was going to add that, even if we're to lend some credence to Kaz' claims, the man's lost his mother during this epic season (condolences), with Zavaleta seemingly an important part of his grieving process—if that gave him a little extra to get us to where we are, it's hard to get all up in arms.

To your point, however, Vanney strikes me as the consummate professional, and, as easy as it might have been, I don't think he would feel right to allow nepotism to play a (primary) role in his decisions taken (leaving room for the role it may have played in him keeping tabs on Zavaleta's fledgling career, prior to his time with us… which I think is fair, and, in fact, has clearly benefited us).

Agreed 100% with everything said here. I was going to say pretty much the same thing until I read this g:D

Raheem has potential, but the guys we protected ahead of him are established and proven players for us.
Just quoting you because I had to chuckle, out loud, in glee, over your signature—brilliant!

Kaz
12-15-2017, 04:17 PM
This one stings.

Thanks, Raheem, and all the best.

I agree… and I was going to add that, even if we're to lend some credence to Kaz' claims, the man's lost his mother during this epic season (condolences), with Zavaleta seemingly an important part of his grieving process—if that gave him a little extra to get us to where we are, it's hard to get all up in arms.

To be clear I made a typo. Where I wrote Should instead of Shouldn't.

Zavaleta earned his spot.. but I'm sorry he got the job because of his uncle deserving or not. Being related to Vanney impacts certain decisions and I don't care who you are if it were between protecting Raheem and Zavaleta (were they totally equal in other respects) Zavaleta would be the one chosen.

Sadly every time I've tried to fix the error or replay the forum locks up and nothing gets posted. (5th times the charm I hope)

DIEHARDTFC
12-15-2017, 05:34 PM
Hurts so bad that of all teams, he has to be picked up by the scum. Wish him all the best though, he has a bright future in club play and for Canada

ensco
02-16-2018, 08:27 AM
They are using him as a right MF!
http://torontosun.com/sports/soccer/mls/toronto-fc/ex-toronto-fc-fullback-raheem-edwards-on-montreal-move-they-want-me-here

Soccer Mum
02-16-2018, 08:40 AM
Hurts so bad that of all teams, he has to be picked up by the scum. Wish him all the best though, he has a bright future in club play and for Canada

This is the worst. Really loved Raheem and stupid MLS rules dictate that we have to lose somebody.

Captain
02-16-2018, 09:17 AM
http://torontosun.com/sports/soccer/mls/toronto-fc/ex-toronto-fc-fullback-raheem-edwards-on-montreal-move-they-want-me-here

Glad to hear he's taking the transfer so positively. He has an opportunity to get more minutes in Montreal than he ever would in Toronto. This is great for Raheem and the national team.

C.Ronaldo
02-16-2018, 10:09 AM
he would have been glued to the bench here with all the players coming in.

barticusz
02-16-2018, 11:18 AM
Yea this is a perfect situation not only for Edwards but I'd even say for Canada. I'm hoping MTL gets a lot of these young Canadians some minutes together as it will benefit the national team.

BenRhodes23
02-20-2018, 09:02 AM
"They want me here"... Sounds like Edwards is mad that TFC didn't get him back... I'm sure we tried

ag futbol
02-20-2018, 09:06 AM
*sigh* hope that works out for him. He looked much better on the left, not sure why they want to reinvent the wheel here.

Joe Kool
02-20-2018, 09:17 AM
I wish Raheem all the best. I will be cheering for him (not the Impact, just him) every game when he is not playing TFC. Hopefully he really develops in his career and gets better and better but at the same time I hope Impact finish dead last. Keep your chin up and eventually you will get on a better team....maybe even come back to TFC. Who knows....

DinamoTFC
02-20-2018, 10:11 AM
I wish Raheem all the best. I will be cheering for him (not the Impact, just him) every game when he is not playing TFC. Hopefully he really develops in his career and gets better and better but at the same time I hope Impact finish dead last. Keep your chin up and eventually you will get on a better team....maybe even come back to TFC. Who knows....

I still want Raheem to develop for 2 reasons. One, so the national team improves. And two, because I bet any money he would love to return to TFC at some point in his career. It was unfortunate he went to Montreal but it does look like the coach is revamping and using speedy youth players which will be good for his development.