PDA

View Full Version : TFC 2017-2018 player Off-season moves/speculation/rumours

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7

Oldtimer
12-09-2017, 11:12 PM
Post your speculation/information/etc. here in this thread!

Confirmed (by traditional media or the club) signings get a separate single thread in the "News" section. All other "inside" and other information goes here.

OgtheDim
12-09-2017, 11:55 PM
Lots of spec tonight that Cheyrou will be retiring - possibly to take a coaching position with the Academy.

BenRhodes23
12-10-2017, 12:01 AM
Lots of spec tonight that Cheyrou will be retiring - possibly to take a coaching position with the Academy.

I hope he becomes an assistant with the first team. He's become a cult hero

SirBobSaget
12-10-2017, 01:33 AM
Would be a dream if the 2018 TAM was used to bring Atiba Hutchinson home to upgrade the Delgado position.

RE Cheyrou: absolute class intelligent player. All signs pointing to him staying here to work within the club. That would be good news.

Red CB Toronto
12-10-2017, 01:36 AM
Would be a dream if the 2018 TAM was used to bring Atiba Hutchinson home to upgrade the Delgado position.

RE Cheyrou: absolute class intelligent player. All signs pointing to him staying here to work within the club. That would be good news.

Benoit winning a championship brings a smile to my face !!

whositwhatnow
12-10-2017, 07:44 AM

when that substitution happened i was cheering like crazy!! glad he got to get some tim eon the pitch in the final!

wopchop
12-10-2017, 08:09 AM
Benoit... Cheyrou! Cheyrou!
He scored that goal and put us through!
Benoit... Cheyrou! Cheyrou!

Will always be a TFC Legend!

OgtheDim
12-10-2017, 09:00 AM
Just a reminder Teams who play in the final are required to do some roster moves today.

I am hoping the team told those involved all before last night I'm pretty sure Moore knows he will be uncovered for the draft.

BenRhodes23
12-10-2017, 10:46 AM
Just a reminder Teams who play in the final are required to do some roster moves today.

I am hoping the team told those involved all before last night I'm pretty sure Moore knows he will be uncovered for the draft.

They said on the TSN broadcast last night that a new contract with Drew Moor was lined up, he just needs to sign it

OgtheDim
12-10-2017, 02:19 PM
I vacilate between thinking LAFC is going to grab Irwin or LAFC or going to grab Moore for some trade back allocation money.

ag futbol
12-10-2017, 05:31 PM
^ Beitashour is another potential target here. He's not from LA, but he is from California and the latter has a pretty large ex-pat Iranian population.

Think he's out of contract if memory serves but not sure that would stop them.

ensco
12-10-2017, 05:44 PM
It's so annoying to think that we might lose someone we care about 24 hours after the victory parade. I know that's the sports business, but I wish this timeline wasn't so stupid.

OgtheDim
12-10-2017, 05:54 PM
Two years ago, Portland mangement pulled guys out of the champagne celebrations to tell them - Seattle apparently did it the next morning before the flight home.

I would be VERY suprised if Bez didn't chat with the players being moved last week sometime.

Areathrasher
12-12-2017, 12:24 PM
https://twitter.com/JohnMolinaro/status/940632522253205504

Manning also confirmed they will use all of the new Discretionary TAM

cincy
12-12-2017, 12:31 PM
With 2.8 million TAM there should be more than that with some good cap management

Stress
12-12-2017, 12:31 PM
Interested to see what happens with fringe guys like Endoh, Chapman, Morgan, and Hamilton. Something's gotta give especially if we bring in more Mavinga salary level players.

pfk
12-12-2017, 12:34 PM
when that substitution happened i was cheering like crazy!! glad he got to get some tim eon the pitch in the final!

It was Cheyrou that intercepted the ball which lead to the Vasquez goal! https://youtu.be/6Y1n1Nkn7bM

Brooker
12-12-2017, 12:34 PM
Moor is a FA and Beitashours to. Why would we protect them?

Maybe I'm missing something. I'm sure they want to put ink to paper with the GOAT.

ryan
12-12-2017, 12:40 PM
Moor is a FA and Beitashours to. Why would we protect them?

Maybe I'm missing something. I'm sure they want to put ink to paper with the GOAT.

Yup. They can take one and then the player just has to say "i dont wanna sign with you" and can sign wherever they want. No point in protecting them.

ryan
12-12-2017, 12:48 PM

Hutch plays mostly CDM/RB, wouldn't be a fit up there. With MB in the fold for the foreseeable future I don't see Hutch playing for Toronto ever considering his age.

The player I dream of for now, but probably is out of our price range is Junior Hoilett. Plays either wing, excellent shot from distance, can cross, draw fouls....would be an offensive threat with the attention already on our main 3 attackers. Out of contract in June and only 27. Just think his wages would be well beyond what TAM can buy down as the internets suggest he's on 3-3.5M GBP.

Cas87
12-12-2017, 12:50 PM
Hutch plays mostly CDM/RB, wouldn't be a fit up there. With MB in the fold for the foreseeable future I don't see Hutch playing for Toronto ever considering his age.

The player I dream of for now, but probably is out of our price range is Junior Hoilett. Plays either wing, excellent shot from distance, can cross, draw fouls....would be an offensive threat with the attention already on our main 3 attackers. Out of contract in June and only 27. Just think his wages would be well beyond what TAM can buy down as the internets suggest he's on 3-3.5M GBP.

I agree that Junior would be a good get. Probably a little out of the price range at the moment but you never know, Bez could manufacture enough money to bring him in (moving one of our current DPs to TAM level? could be possible)

Detroit_TFC
12-12-2017, 01:04 PM
A lot of this DTAM salary budget is going to be used for South Americans but I'd like to see if there are any options in Liga MX for kinda mid-level, bench but gets minutes type players.

gmacpheetfc
12-12-2017, 01:14 PM
what about lucas cavallini? Might be to much of a drama queen for the group but he is good friends with oso?

Areathrasher
12-12-2017, 01:16 PM
what about lucas cavallini? Might be to much of a drama queen for the group but he is good friends with oso?

On loan at Puebla and they have a purchase option for him. Around $2Mil IIRC.

ryan
12-12-2017, 01:19 PM

Not sure we should be using this on depth forwards when we already have 200K into Ricketts? Between him and Seba/Jozy that's 1.1M of salary cap space already. Cavallini needs minutes anyways, would be limited here.

MartinUtd
12-12-2017, 01:42 PM
It's been a long journey from Marseilles to the Six; Cheyrou. Cheyrou.

We never stopped hoping; you were our midfield fix, Cheyrou. Cheyrou.

rydermike
12-12-2017, 05:31 PM
I agree that Junior would be a good get. Probably a little out of the price range at the moment but you never know, Bez could manufacture enough money to bring him in (moving one of our current DPs to TAM level? could be possible)

Buying down our DPs to non dp is not realistic. Seba is at $7M, Bradley at $6.5, Jozy at $4.75M. Would take over $4 million to buy down Jozy to non dp, meaning there would be no money for a replacement dp.

notthesun
12-12-2017, 05:56 PM
We won't buy down a DP. If we need to create additional salary budget space we'll buy down Vazquez's charge, otherwise we'll use the TAM to make player signings.

nonc
12-12-2017, 06:13 PM
Would love to get Hoilett, he has been putting in goals too, very in form since a great Gold Cup. I watched his 2nd half yesterday, somehow Cardiff wen't down 0-2 but of what I saw they dominated, even at 75th minutes 0-2 you felt they had total control and could tie, which they did. A lot of their offense goes through Hoilett one way or another.

Edit: Cardiff looks good for him though and he's on way to promotion.

reggie
12-12-2017, 06:15 PM
didnt he jus sign a new contract?

T.O TILL I DIE
12-12-2017, 08:09 PM
Rickets out
Cooper out
That would make some space for some decent players.

notthesun
12-12-2017, 08:32 PM
I have a feeling Bez will want to try to keep Cooper around. Useful player for CCL action.

I don't know if Cooper will be happy with what his role would be here though.

Initial B
12-12-2017, 08:33 PM
Looks like Brandon Aubrey and Sergio Camargo are moving on - they're both on the waiver draft list.

ensco
12-12-2017, 08:38 PM
I don't think we have any way to picture what is going on, given the new world and the amount of TAM.

I expect 2-3 million dollar plus signings to be here by August. No idea what position, but I look forward to speculating!

International slots will become extremely valuable - I'd much rather have let Edwards go than do what Atlanta did, and trade one in exchange for not selecting a player.

Mr. Bigby
12-12-2017, 10:22 PM
Haven't seen it mentioned anywhere else, so I'll throw it in here. During Manning's interview today he pretty well committed to redoing the south end to standing terraces by 2019 or 20 at the latest. Somewhere around the 5:35 mark.

ensco
12-13-2017, 08:18 AM
In the “let's all read stuff that Manning and Bez probably read” department....

Interesting analysis in this twitter thread on how winning cost Real Madrid money, because of related bonuses and salary increases (but they made up most of the losses by selling players)

https://twitter.com/swissramble/status/940507061015760896

portu
12-13-2017, 01:33 PM
Clint Irwin has to be getting traded this winter right?

Cas87
12-13-2017, 01:40 PM
Haven't seen it mentioned anywhere else, so I'll throw it in here. During Manning's interview today he pretty well committed to redoing the south end to standing terraces by 2019 or 20 at the latest. Somewhere around the 5:35 mark.

in the BMO Field thread

Super
12-13-2017, 02:27 PM

This would be fantastic news. I've been a supporter of this since day one. There is no doubt in my mind that this will help to improve the atmosphere a lot as well as the people into singing and chanting will group together, and they will show up early to be able to do that. If you show up late you'll have to settle with maybe being in the corner or whatever, so it gives incentives for people to show up early as well.

michaeltfc91
12-13-2017, 03:46 PM
Other than resigning Drew Moor and Beitashour what else do we actually need? My only wish is for a winger and more Canadians so let's get Edwards back and sign Junior Hoilett!

molenshtain
12-13-2017, 03:50 PM
I'm wondering if the team decides to spend some of that sweet TAM on a RWB to replace Beita. Smart teams could too easily funnel our attacks down the right wing, like Columbus did in the playoffs, because Beita just isn't a threat the same way Morrow is. Having someone as good or better than Morrow bombing down the right wing would be a big upgrade.

Globetrotter
12-13-2017, 04:22 PM
Well let's think this through. Be it a 442, 442 diamond, or 352, (and thinking only of starters) we're already set for the 2 forwards, 2 of the 2 or 3 midfielders, central D, and LB.

What would be needed is a RB (likely versatile enough to play wing in 352), and two midfielder upgrades.

Ideally,
Player 1: a RB who can also play on the right wing when called upon. (replace Beita)
Player 2: a right wing that could move to the center of the field. (If we have player 1, then if we move to 442 - any shape - player 2 plays on the right wing, otherwise moves inside in a 352) Player 2 replaces Osorio or Delgado starting position.
Player 3: midfielder that could move to the left wing in a 442.

jozy-seba
morrow-vasquez-bradley-player 2-player 1
mavinga-moor(haglund)-zava

jozy-seba
player 3-vasquez-bradley-player 2
morrow-mavinga-zava(moor)-player 1

You're basically getting Osorio, Delgado, and Beitashour off the field and replacing with higher quality. The team would be stacked.

ScarboroughRed
12-13-2017, 04:52 PM
Well let's think this through. Be it a 442, 442 diamond, or 352, (and thinking only of starters) we're already set for the 2 forwards, 2 of the 2 or 3 midfielders, central D, and LB.

What would be needed is a RB (likely versatile enough to play wing in 352), and two midfielder upgrades.

Ideally,
Player 1: a RB who can also play on the right wing when called upon. (replace Beita)
Player 2: a right wing that could move to the center of the field. (If we have player 1, then if we move to 442 - any shape - player 2 plays on the right wing, otherwise moves inside in a 352) Player 2 replaces Osorio or Delgado starting position.
Player 3: midfielder that could move to the left wing in a 442.

jozy-seba
morrow-vasquez-bradley-player 2-player 1
mavinga-moor(haglund)-zava

jozy-seba
player 3-vasquez-bradley-player 2
morrow-mavinga-zava(moor)-player 1

You're basically getting Osorio, Delgado, and Beitashour off the field and replacing with higher quality. The team would be stacked.

Might not have seen it too much but Hasler is roughly that player two since he's more of a central mid, just happens to be able to play the wing.

Agree with player 1. Just wondering if player 3 might be better used as a decent backup striker as we all know Tos has his limits and against better opposition they'll figure it out quickly.

Ajax TFC
12-13-2017, 04:59 PM
We don't NEED to improve any particular position, but we do need to continue using all available resources to continually upgrade the team.

We do need a backup to Bradley though, especially with Cheyrou likely done. He's basically the one player we can't afford to lose for a stretch of games and maintain dominance. We could afford to have a Matias Laba type now.

I'm thinking we'll be pretty set if we can pull a new Cheyrou out of a hat, and sign a young winger/second striker/#10 type player.

Then some nice to haves would be a right sided defender like Mavinga, and another box to box mid to compete with Delgado. We could easily free up international spots by letting go of Alseth, Cheyrou (retire) and Endoh.

nonc
12-13-2017, 05:07 PM
Hasler is Beitashour's replacement, he is good enough to start there or play more advanced if needed. I see TAM going to midfield to give Bradley and/or Vazquez cover, because if one of them got injured TFC is screwed.

C.Ronaldo
12-13-2017, 05:20 PM
Rickets out
Cooper out

who is gonna be that good to come here to sit on the bench

0bl1vious
12-13-2017, 05:25 PM
I'm wondering if the team decides to spend some of that sweet TAM on a RWB to replace Beita. Smart teams could too easily funnel our attacks down the right wing, like Columbus did in the playoffs, because Beita just isn't a threat the same way Morrow is. Having someone as good or better than Morrow bombing down the right wing would be a big upgrade.

I think Hasler is an upgrade on Beita in that regard. Buddy can cross the ball really well.

molenshtain
12-13-2017, 05:30 PM
I think Hasler is an upgrade on Beita in that regard. Buddy can cross the ball really well.

I think Hasler is an upgrade going forward but wasn't tested enough defensively for us to gauge how he would hold up over a whole season.

I still think that's the only obvious place we can spend our TAM. Our midfield is locked up and deep. Our CB's are cheap and very good. Our forwards are the best in the league. nowhere else to go really.

C.Ronaldo
12-13-2017, 05:38 PM
Hasler is Beitashour's replacement, he is good enough to start there or play more advanced if needed. I see TAM going to midfield to give Bradley and/or Vazquez cover, because if one of them got injured TFC is screwed.

correct, we are replacing cheyrou

i can see vasquez getting a raise soon though

C.Ronaldo
12-13-2017, 05:40 PM

beita looked a bit shaky playing last man back with the diamond formation. he did the job but i sensed he wasnt comfortable with it

we need another mavinga, which is why leaving haglund off that list woulda been better. to be fair, haglund will get good trade value because he is american

Gazza_55
12-13-2017, 06:03 PM

The max amount you can use TAM on is $1.5m. Our DP's are way over that.

ManUtd4ever
12-13-2017, 06:22 PM
Other than resigning Drew Moor and Beitashour what else do we actually need? My only wish is for a winger and more Canadians so let's get Edwards back and sign Junior Hoilett!

I'm just being greedy, but upgrades on Osorio and Delgado as starters in the midfield would be nice.

molenshtain
12-13-2017, 06:28 PM
Delgado just vastly outplayed Roldan, a competitor for his position for the U.S. Gold Cup squad in 2019. Osorio is one of Vanney's most trusted players. No way that's where they look for an upgrade when there's cheap,Capable, domestic options that need games.

I could see us trading Zav or Hagglund and signing a second (after Mavinga) TAM level CB. But that's at the very outside of what I think is possible. Vanney likes his guys and won't make large scale changes like that after just winning a cup with them dominating the oppo.

Globetrotter
12-13-2017, 06:30 PM
I dont know why everyone is all hot for Hasler. We're talking about TAM, more money for upgrades. Hasler is a great substitute - but when you have the chance to get a 400-800K type guy (which you assume has quality to support the sticker price), then Hasler is not our answer.

I think if we watched him over a 15-25 game stretch, peoples tones would change and you would start to hear more "we need an upgrade at this position". It's a BIG planet, and there has to be guys out there that are better than him and available to come to Toronto.

He's not a Vasquez or even Morrow quality player. Morrow should be the minimum quality benchmark for starters on the team. Hasler to the bench.

reggie
12-13-2017, 06:43 PM
manning said it...they are spending that money,on a d- a mid a striker.i can see a young back up striker in 300 range and a mid and a d 400-500 range.that would be a huge upgrade if they do their due diligence.

James17930
12-13-2017, 07:40 PM
We do need more support at forward, for sure. I love Ricketts in my heart, but he def. is not a consistent threat. We need someone who is dangerous every time they come on, not just some of the time, and is more clinical.

General Woolfe
12-13-2017, 08:35 PM
Rickets out
Cooper out
For all his talent (mainly speed) I would agree we need better back up in the striking department than Ricketts. He does not appear to be a natural goalscorer. I’m of two minds about Cooper though. I can see some value in his ability to retain possession and on occassion frustrate the opposition late in games, getting cheap fouls and running down the clock. He could be useful against CONCACAF opposition in the CCL

General Woolfe
12-13-2017, 08:42 PM
Delgado just vastly outplayed Roldan, a competitor for his position for the U.S. Gold Cup squad in 2019. Osorio is one of Vanney's most trusted players. No way that's where they look for an upgrade when there's cheap,Capable, domestic options that need games.

I could see us trading Zav or Hagglund and signing a second (after Mavinga) TAM level CB. But that's at the very outside of what I think is possible. Vanney likes his guys and won't make large scale changes like that after just winning a cup with them dominating the oppo.
I worry if Osorio is seen as a starter. He can’t keep possession and routinely makes the wrong decision when it comes to shoot or pass. I’m fine with him being a bench option but I think we need a better quality as a starter. In fact if we’re being harsh about this (and winning teams usually are) the same would go for Delgado and Chapman, the later possibly being trade bait

nonc
12-13-2017, 09:33 PM
I dont know why everyone is all hot for Hasler. We're talking about TAM, more money for upgrades. Hasler is a great substitute - but when you have the chance to get a 400-800K type guy (which you assume has quality to support the sticker price), then Hasler is not our answer.

I think if we watched him over a 15-25 game stretch, peoples tones would change and you would start to hear more "we need an upgrade at this position". It's a BIG planet, and there has to be guys out there that are better than him and available to come to Toronto.

He's not a Vasquez or even Morrow quality player. Morrow should be the minimum quality benchmark for starters on the team. Hasler to the bench.

Not every starter can be 400-800K or MLS Best XI, Hasler's salary for 1/2 season was $80,000K. So a $150,000ish wingback (not even his real position) who scored 3 goals in less than 900 minutes and has versatility. It's one of Bez's best value moves to date. Same reason why Delgado as a starter is fine if he plays to his capabilities.

Hamilton, Oso, Zavaleta, Cooper, Chapman are all good depth at the right price. Even Alseth played well in his limited time and he's at the bottom of the squad making league min. If TFC wants another Vazquez-level player then Bez will probably look to cheaper replacements for two of: Beitashour, Irwin, Ricketts. Then he can throw millions in TAM at a guy.

ensco
12-13-2017, 09:58 PM
I have been wondering about what MLSE will let Manning do here. TAM is not cash. We already have the highest payroll in the league. There are going to be teams (Atlanta is the glaring example) that have 7-8 guys making 1.0 M or 1.5M....

Unless MLSE are willing to take the payroll north of $25M, our 5th, 6th, 7th players, who were so awesome this year, could suddenly look ordinary, or even be overmatched.

As inconceivable/awful as it may seem, I wonder if Manning/Bez are thinking about moving one of the DPs by next summer, to free up cash to get better balance.

ag futbol
12-13-2017, 10:01 PM
Increased cap or not the economics of spending 400-800 on a right back in MLS simply aren’t there. I’d have no issues with starting next year with Beitashour and Hassler.

Use that money on something else. The team’s tangible sense of frustration with Ricketts positional play at times and his lack of a cultured skill set suggests to me he should be further down the depth chart ... and strikers aren’t cheap.

portu
12-13-2017, 10:10 PM
Increased cap or not the economics of spending 400-800 on a right back in MLS simply aren’t there. I’d have no issues with starting next year with Beitashour and Hassler.

Use that money on something else. The team’s tangible sense of frustration with Ricketts positional play at times and his lack of a cultured skill set suggests to me he should be further down the depth chart ... and strikers aren’t cheap.
The economics of spending 400k+ on a wide player is not smart in MLS but in order to compete with Liga MX I think it's something that needs to be accepted.

That being said it looks like the FO are very high on Beita and Hasler doesn't look like he's going anywhere either, so I doubt we'll see any improvement there this off-season if Beita is re-signed.

portu
12-13-2017, 10:13 PM
If we pick up a striker and keep Ricketts that pushes Hamilton down to where Spencer is right now on the depth chart. We'll need to find somewhere for Hamilton to get decent minutes next season in MLS. His growth will get stunted playing TFC II minutes only.

MightyDM
12-13-2017, 10:28 PM
I worry if Osorio is seen as a starter. He can’t keep possession and routinely makes the wrong decision when it comes to shoot or pass. I’m fine with him being a bench option but I think we need a better quality as a starter. In fact if we’re being harsh about this (and winning teams usually are) the same would go for Delgado and Chapman, the later possibly being trade bait

That’s just not true, and he was the best player on the pitch in the first half on Saturday. For some reason when he makes a mistake he is terrible, but when seba or Bradley of Delgado do, it is forgotten. He has huge upside if he gains mental strength, and it looks like he is.

TFC1154ever
12-13-2017, 10:38 PM
Posted this in another thread earlier today but thought it would make more sense in here.

Before I say this, I want people to know that I am nitpicking, and we are the class of MLS, with our next goal being the best team in North America.

The part that sucks about Edwards leaving is that he probably would have gotten close 20 games this season with all that’s going on. That’s not including Morrow getting hurt. He was the perfect backup LWB with him slowly growing into a starter in the future. And he’s Canadian a top of that.

Again I’m being nitpicky, but I would have left Zavaleta unprotected. Of the 4 CB we were rotating (not including Hernandez here) in my opinion, he’s the worst of the 4. I will always remember the series against Montreal last year, where Piatti literally made him his bitch. Even though his passing has gotten better, it’s still mediocre. He good in the air, which I’ll give him, but his one on one defending isn’t up to par. When he’s not being focused on, he’s solid in the 3. But when teams get him isolated, they run at him and he gets exposed. I know for fact. I know someone personally that plays on the impact, and he told that the game they won 5-3 at BMO, there game plan was to attack Zavaleta’s side (Go look at the tape, it’s true).

With all the money TFC is getting this year to spend, I would have liked them to upgrade on him for champions league, and protect Edwards. My 2 cents anyways

reggie
12-13-2017, 10:48 PM
i think we are 2 players away from winning a MLS cup:drinking:

nonc
12-13-2017, 11:18 PM
I feel like we're due for a good player on loan.

DinamoTFC
12-13-2017, 11:38 PM
https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.wakingthered.com/platform/amp/2017/9/8/16272408/toronto-fc-atiba-hutchinson-mls-transfer-news-besiktas

This article from September from waking the red suggest tfc put an offer in the summer for Hutchinson for 1.5 M but was turned down. Also his contract runs out in June of 2018. I definitely could see tfc luring him here for 1.5 years. Hes a machine and for sure has enough in the tank. Don't look at his age. Would be perfect compliment for Bradley and vazquez. All depends if we find a defensive mid this winter off-season or not or if we can lure him from besiktas should they get kicked out of champs league and still offer them money instead of a free transfer in thè summer .

Also does anyone know the length of junior hoiletts current contract with his club ?

DinamoTFC
12-13-2017, 11:55 PM
To answer my own question transfermarket says his contract is up in June 2018. The most we could offer him is 1.5m in TAM plus maybe some under the table stuff.

Hamilton_Red
12-14-2017, 12:02 AM
https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2017/10/18/armchair-analyst-club-club-what-2017-meant-mls?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=referral&utm_content=news&utm_campaign=unpaid

Basically says our priority should be to keep the squad together. For me adding two Mavinga/Vasquez quality players would help give us a chance to win CONCACAF.
Beitashour has a long history playing with Morrrow...I'd keep that together. I'm not convinced that Hasler has done enough to bump Beita yet.
Against the top Mexican teams away - having two Defensive Midfielders might be necessary. Cheroux 2 likely needed.
I think Haglund can make the step up next season and play more regularly.
I'd be loaning out Chapman, Hamilton, and Endoh to a European team in January for 4 months.
Mavinga has been a huge win for the team - signing him up long term should be a priority.
Irwin should probably traded to be fair to him and a back-up to Bono signed.
We are in a very privileged position where there is no urgency to sign players...only ones that improve the team in a tangible way should be considered.

James17930
12-14-2017, 12:30 AM
Is it for sure we can keep Beita? Does anyone know if he's looking to explore the market?

oldtraffordPEI
12-14-2017, 12:36 AM
I haven't heard any official news of Cheyrou retiring. Although he is older now, pace was never part of his game. I'd love to see him back under a similar cheap contract for midfield depth if hes fit, he still has class.

nonc
12-14-2017, 01:38 AM
I haven't heard any official news of Cheyrou retiring. Although he is older now, pace was never part of his game. I'd love to see him back under a similar cheap contract for midfield depth if hes fit, he still has class.

I agree, then hopefully on to coaching in the TFC organization.

PizzaEatingYeti
12-14-2017, 03:33 AM
I have been wondering about what MLSE will let Manning do here. TAM is not cash. We already have the highest payroll in the league. There are going to be teams (Atlanta is the glaring example) that have 7-8 guys making 1.0 M or 1.5M....

Unless MLSE are willing to take the payroll north of $25M, our 5th, 6th, 7th players, who were so awesome this year, could suddenly look ordinary, or even be overmatched.

As inconceivable/awful as it may seem, I wonder if Manning/Bez are thinking about moving one of the DPs by next summer, to free up cash to get better balance.

You have an extremely strong point here!

PizzaEatingYeti
12-14-2017, 03:38 AM

This!
With all what Ricketts has done for the team, and has been clutch in some memorable moments, he has no business to ever be a starter on this team.
He should only play maximum 25-30 minutes as a sub.

His talent and skill-set is just not on par for starting in such a good team.
Let's be realistic about this...

TFC07
12-14-2017, 03:38 AM
https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.wakingthered.com/platform/amp/2017/9/8/16272408/toronto-fc-atiba-hutchinson-mls-transfer-news-besiktas

This article from September from waking the red suggest tfc put an offer in the summer for Hutchinson for 1.5 M but was turned down. Also his contract runs out in June of 2018. I definitely could see tfc luring him here for 1.5 years. Hes a machine and for sure has enough in the tank. Don't look at his age. Would be perfect compliment for Bradley and vazquez. All depends if we find a defensive mid this winter off-season or not or if we can lure him from besiktas should they get kicked out of champs league and still offer them money instead of a free transfer in thè summer .

Also does anyone know the length of junior hoiletts current contract with his club ?

To add more fuel this fire

Zambrano said that earlier this year, Hutchinson told him that he was planning to play his final game for Canada.

“I know that when I spoke to Atiba he was feeling down, he was going through an injury, he wasn’t sure if Besiktas was going to extend his contract. But they did… I talked him out of it. I said ‘don’t make a decision you don’t have to make.’ You can still give Canada some precious moments in soccer. You can help this country achieve some milestones. You can be part of us making it for 2022.

“I know that he wants to come back to Canada, to play for one of the teams in MLS. But the way he’s playing now, I think it serves us better for him to keep playing in Europe, so we can continue to enjoy watching him play there.

And Zambrano said that the new advanced statistic measures only add proof to Hutchinson’s value.

Source: https://the11.ca/zambrano-says-major-changes-coming-to-national-program-for-2018/

portu
12-14-2017, 03:39 AM
Wonder if we could look within the league to sign a decent 3rd striker, if we're looking to spend TAM there are players out there

Cubo Torres is surplus to requirements in Houston, had 650k guaranteed this past year, wouldn't be unrealistic to trade a bit of TAM/GAM for him and reduce the trade cost by letting Houston take a cut of a future transfer fee, and then pay him down to a reasonable hit

Wondo could be realistic also, put up 13g/8a last season but is older now which would help lower the acquisition cost

PizzaEatingYeti
12-14-2017, 03:44 AM
i think we are 2 players away from winning a MLS cup:drinking:

No joke man, but I'm thinking the same.

With all the massive retooling all teams will make this offseason and in the next summer transfer window, we do need 2 very good signings to be again that good compared to the rest of MLS like we were this year.

But even then I think we can forget by winning the supporters shield by such a big margin, will be a lot more close.

One of those 2 must be a forward!

James17930
12-14-2017, 06:33 AM
To add more fuel this fire

Source: https://the11.ca/zambrano-says-major-changes-coming-to-national-program-for-2018/

I don't know ... he's 34. Is that a road we want to be going down?

OgtheDim
12-14-2017, 06:36 AM
Cubo Torres has issues maintaining a training regime. That's a :nono: for this team.

ag futbol
12-14-2017, 07:46 AM
The economics of spending 400k+ on a wide player is not smart in MLS but in order to compete with Liga MX I think it's something that needs to be accepted.

That being said it looks like the FO are very high on Beita and Hasler doesn't look like he's going anywhere either, so I doubt we'll see any improvement there this off-season if Beita is re-signed.
Can’t agree with this. Proportionately, there are all sorts of other areas you’d spend that money first to be more productive, even if the purpose is completing with Liga MX.

Edit: putting it all into context, we do not yet spend that sort of money on CB’s, midfielders not named Bradley or Vasquez, heck- even Morrow doesn’t reach that bracket. In addition to a third striker, those would all be areas that money would go first.

Leedsoronto
12-14-2017, 09:57 AM
If we pick up a striker and keep Ricketts that pushes Hamilton down to where Spencer is right now on the depth chart. We'll need to find somewhere for Hamilton to get decent minutes next season in MLS. His growth will get stunted playing TFC II minutes only.

I am surprised he not moved himself on by now to get playing time. A confident ambitious player would not want to warm benches for this long

C.Ronaldo
12-14-2017, 11:08 AM
arent we going to need a canadian to replace edwards for the voys cup?

wynne
12-14-2017, 11:33 AM
Is it for sure we can keep Beita? Does anyone know if he's looking to explore the market?
Source tells me that Toronto are likely to bring back free agent Drew Moor. Things not quite as rosy with fellow FA Steven Beitashour, however. Told TFC want him back, but cap considerations could keep it from happening.

Apparently he wants to stay, Sam Stejskal says we might not be able to afford to bring him back

James17930
12-14-2017, 12:26 PM
Source tells me that Toronto are likely to bring back free agent Drew Moor. Things not quite as rosy with fellow FA Steven Beitashour, however. Told TFC want him back, but cap considerations could keep it from happening.

Apparently he wants to stay, Sam Stejskal says we might not be able to afford to bring him back

Hmm. Well, if Benoit retires, that would free up some space. But yeah, who knows how much room they have left and how much of a raise Beita would want.

Red CB Toronto
12-14-2017, 01:06 PM
Eight players today had the option on their 2018 contract declined, essentially meaning they have been released by the team.
Armando Cooper would be the biggest name of the eight. Cheyrou was also among them but his retirement is expected. Endoh, Alseth, Pais, Spencer, Aubrey and Camargo round out the rest.

https://www.torontofc.ca/transaction-tracker

Initial B
12-14-2017, 01:08 PM
I'm wondering if they might be looking at getting another starting-calibre Winger-Forward that would give Vanney the flexibility to play a 4-3-3 formation if the situation warrants it. To be able to fluidly switch formations in the middle of games has been one of the methods Vanney has used to get points this past season. Not knowing if a team is going to come out in a 3-5-2, 4-4-2, 4-2-3-1, or 4-3-3 would give most scouts conniptions, I think.

TFC1154ever
12-14-2017, 01:13 PM
Here’s a hypothetical question for you guys. If Ciman refuses go to LAFC, if you were Toronto, would you go after him? He might be ok with living in Toronto, and seeing his daughter a couple times a week, if she stays in Montreal.

Ajax TFC
12-14-2017, 01:17 PM
And just like that, half our international slots are open without losing any key players. Things are going to get interesting this winter I think

Still Kicking
12-14-2017, 01:23 PM
Eight players today had the option on their 2018 contract declined, essentially meaning they have been released by the team.
Armando Cooper would be the biggest name of the eight. Cheyrou was also among them but his retirement is expected. Endoh, Alseth, Pais, Spencer, Aubrey and Camargo round out the rest.

Not sure if having your contract option declined is quite the same as "being released by team". Depends on the contract. If you were playing on a very low end contract, you might hope that a training camp invite means a second chance or you might be looking for somewhere else to play.
A higher contract player, say Cooper or Endoh might be negotiating a smaller contract hoping to stay with the team. Agree that Cheyrou had already agreed to come back for a minimal salary. Coaching future?

Auzzy
12-14-2017, 01:26 PM

This was expected -- Bez had already mentioned negotiations & options being declined. But still very sad, especially so shortly after the Cup win. That's the downside. Most other years, TFC fans would have a long list of players to dump in the off-season (usually w/o any realistic plan on how to replace them).

I know it makes business sense, but after the last 2 years (and the last few weeks), still very sad to see players like Cheyrou, Cooper, Endoh, and Edwards gone. That's what happens when your team doesn't suck.

Might some of these guys come back on a lower re-negotiated contract, instead of what was guaranteed in their option year?

Cas87
12-14-2017, 01:30 PM
This was expected -- Bez had already mentioned negotiations & options being declined. But still very sad, especially so shortly after the Cup win. That's the downside. Most other years, TFC fans would have a long list of players to dump in the off-season (usually w/o any realistic plan on how to replace them).

I know it makes business sense, but after the last 2 years (and the last few weeks), still very sad to see players like Cheyrou, Cooper, Endoh, and Edwards gone. That's what happens when your team doesn't suck.

Might some of these guys come back on a lower re-negotiated contract, instead of what was guaranteed in their option year?

Cooper I am sure they are trying to get him down to the 175,000-180,000 range (was 200+ I believe last year, and the guaranteed option that was declined would have seen an increase).

Alseth, Aubrey and Carmago are probably destined to TFC2 contracts (which could still lead to first-team later on)

Endoh, Pais and Spencer ... ??? Maybe Endoh back (with slightly less salary as depth) but otherwise I see none of these three coming back

Auzzy
12-14-2017, 01:31 PM
Article from Toronto FC:

https://www.torontofc.ca/post/2017/12/14/toronto-fc-announce-roster-options-following-2017-championship-season

RE the players with options declined, they write "These players will likely be invited to preseason next month." So new deals possible if the players are interested & they can come to terms.

Bez: "We will continue our discussions with those players that are now out of contract, including the players whose options were declined."

James17930
12-14-2017, 01:34 PM
Torontonians tend to get a bit too attached to fringe players for some reason (on any team). It's like we always cheer for the underdog because we feel like the underdog.

Well, we're not the underdog any longer. Now we're the BIG DOG. And Big Dogs say fuck any player who isn't good enough to keep up and go get better ones.

All those guys mentioned (aside from maybe Cooper and def. Cheyrou, but he's retiring so it doesn't matter) were expendable chaff. I won't even give them a second thought.

ensco
12-14-2017, 01:49 PM
I don't think Cooper returns. Same with Endoh and Alseth, we are moving away from being a development league.

Look at the price of these international slots. LAFC pried one out of Atlanta in return for passing on their guys, that was incredible when compared to our deal on Irwin a year ago. (I assume we maybe could have done that for Raheem if we wanted to.)

International slots will henceforth be used mostly/entirely on Vazquez level signings, across the league.

notthesun
12-14-2017, 01:49 PM
Moor and Zavaleta will definitely be back. Cooper possibly depending on his desires (playing time and salary wise), I still think management would like to have him for CCL. Toss up for Beitashour.

Ajax TFC
12-14-2017, 01:51 PM
Not sure if having your contract option declined is quite the same as "being released by team". Depends on the contract. If you were playing on a very low end contract, you might hope that a training camp invite means a second chance or you might be looking for somewhere else to play.
A higher contract player, say Cooper or Endoh might be negotiating a smaller contract hoping to stay with the team. Agree that Cheyrou had already agreed to come back for a minimal salary. Coaching future?

Cooper I am sure they are trying to get him down to the 175,000-180,000 range (was 200+ I believe last year, and the guaranteed option that was declined would have seen an increase).

Alseth, Aubrey and Carmago are probably destined to TFC2 contracts (which could still lead to first-team later on)

Endoh, Pais and Spencer ... ??? Maybe Endoh back (with slightly less salary as depth) but otherwise I see none of these three coming back
Endoh is a high contract player? The kid literally cannot sign a cheaper contract for next year than what he made this year, as his salary this year ($54,075) will be less than league minimum next year ($54,500).

This is all about roster flexability. After the club makes its impact signings, these guys can duke it out with each other and new draft picks and academy/TFCII invitees for whatever roster/international spots remain, or sign USL contracts

Cas87
12-14-2017, 01:54 PM
Endoh is a high contract player? The kid literally cannot sign a cheaper contract for next year than what he made this year, as his salary this year ($54,075) will be less than league minimum next year ($54,500).

This is all about roster flexability. After the club makes its impact signings, these guys can duke it out with each other and new draft picks and academy/TFCII invitees for whatever roster/international spots remain, or sign USL contracts

Thought I had seen Endoh as a little higher than that, sorry.

PopePouri
12-14-2017, 01:54 PM

Cooper possibly will be back. Endoh is gone.

19Barrett19
12-14-2017, 01:55 PM
For RB/RW/RM non other than my paizano Jakub Błaszczkowski (Kuba) former Dortmund star and current Poland national team player and former Poland Captain. He's a leader and versatile. He will be looking for more minutes heading into World cup with poland.
Jakub Błaszczykowski - Wikipedia
https://en.m.wikipedia.org › wiki › Jakub...

Detroit_TFC
12-14-2017, 01:59 PM
For RB/RW/RM non other than my paizano Jakub Błaszczkowski (Kuba) former Dortmund star and current Poland national team player and former Poland Captain. He's a leader and versatile. He will be looking for more minutes heading into World cup with poland.
Jakub Błaszczykowski - Wikipedia
https://en.m.wikipedia.org › wiki › Jakub...

Wasn't there some talk of him going to Chicago?

19Barrett19
12-14-2017, 02:04 PM
Possible with a large polish population in IL. But he would need to play more before world cup and Poland Manager Nawałka is not bias to lower league as long as players are performing. He calls up players from the Polish League he calls up players from the second division in Italy and so on I'm sure if he went to MLS and performed well he'd also get a call-up on the team

rydermike
12-14-2017, 02:07 PM

Most of these guys were on the supplemental roster and didn't count against the cap, so doesn't really free up much cap room. Pais was an emergency signing earlier due to GK injuries so not a surprise to be let go. Glad Endoh and Spencer are gone, I didn't feel confident with either of them when they played.

C.Ronaldo
12-14-2017, 02:58 PM

so why did spencer get all those minutes that hamilton should have had

C.Ronaldo
12-14-2017, 03:02 PM
Most of these guys were on the supplemental roster and didn't count against the cap, so doesn't really free up much cap room. Pais was an emergency signing earlier due to GK injuries so not a surprise to be let go. Glad Endoh and Spencer are gone, I didn't feel confident with either of them when they played.

endoh was pretty bad in those wider positions, but man, you put him in the middle and its like a night and day.

we have enough depth in the middle though.

thanks for the good times Endoh but we need CCL quality now

BenRhodes23
12-14-2017, 03:55 PM
I hope Cooper and Endoh (at least on a TFC II contract) are back.

nonc
12-14-2017, 04:48 PM
Endoh and Spencer were great in the community, good luck to them if they are not at training camp.

General Woolfe
12-14-2017, 05:06 PM
I think it would be useful to keep Cooper for CCL games if we can get the money right. I’m confused on the status of Moor Beitashour and Zavaletta. It appears they are free agents, does that mean they go to the highest bidder? Moor is starting to show his age and Zavaletta still prone to errors and mispositionidng. Hagglund and Mavinga are our best two central defenders in. Y book,but we need another starterif were to retain a 3-5-2 formation so retaining both Moor and Zavaletta makes sense unless a better option is available. Same goes with Beta. I think Hasler might be firstchoice at RB and we can get at least another good season from Beta as competition. I disagree with Mighty D on Osorio I think we’re overrating his talent and I see him no more than a bench option.sometimes we want our own to be better than they actually are. Anyway it seems we have quite a few holes in the line up to fill and I think we can trust Bez to come up with compatible strenth if not stronger options to fill the holes.

Yohan
12-14-2017, 05:25 PM
I'd keep Cooper, if not for his CONCACAF dark arts which will come in handy for CCL run.

Thomas
12-14-2017, 06:42 PM
I’m with you on Cooper Yohan. I know that most folks want him gone, but I see promise with him, particularly in CCL. I still think that we give him an opportunity for him to adjust his game to less dribbling to more passing. They should try and knock his salary down and try to keep him.

OgtheDim
12-14-2017, 09:22 PM
Reminder to everybody that Spencer was protected in the expansion draft. You don't do that with somebody you are letting go.

He's coming back.

rydermike
12-14-2017, 09:22 PM
I’m confused on the status of Moor Beitashour and Zavaletta. It appears they are free agents, does that mean they go to the highest bidder?

Moor and Beitashour are free agents and available to the highest bidder. Moor apparently has had a contract agreed to for months, just waiting to put pen to paper. Zavaleta is out of contract, but does not have the years of service to be a free agent. Guess, to use NHL/NBA terms he is like an RFA (Restricted Free Agent), Moor and Beita are UFA (Unrestricted Free Agents)

Lennon
12-14-2017, 10:38 PM
Reminder to everybody that Spencer was protected in the expansion draft. You don't do that with somebody you are letting go.

He's coming back.

Wait, they protected Spencer over Edwards? Wtf?

MightyDM
12-14-2017, 10:42 PM
Wait, they protected Spencer over Edwards? Wtf?

no they did not.

Areathrasher
12-14-2017, 10:55 PM
Spencer is officially an RSL HG. All HGs are automatically protected.

With Cooper...keep in mind he is fighting for a starting WC spot. He's gonna want serious mins. Not off the bench cameos.

matteo30
12-15-2017, 12:48 AM
Couldn't he have just given LA FC allocation money....? I'm serious how does everyone see it because It would be nice to have a Morrow not replacement but back up, that we could have given more mins. Is it simply a case of having too many good players? just wondering how the allocation would have worked?

notthesun
12-15-2017, 01:22 AM
Is it simply a case of having too many good players?

Pretty much.

Montreal negotiated the trade for Edwards prior to the expansion draft. Even if Bez had made (or did make) a call to see if we could get Edwards back, how could we compete with Montreal offering Ciman? LAFC got a starting CB out of it, we would have had to give up similar value or a boatload of allocation, more than Edwards is worth.

We were too deep, we were always going to end up with someone getting picked. If it was a regular bench guy I don't think many of us would bat an eye really... it's because Edwards is a local kid that it really sucks. But it is what it is. I'll hold out hope that he comes back to us somewhere down the line.

James17930
12-15-2017, 02:00 AM
Here's all the salary info here:

https://mlsplayers.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/10/September-15-2017-Salary-Information-By-Club.pdf

Irwin is on $200,000. That's WAY too much for our back-up keeper.

Something's gotta give there.

Also, Morgan is on $100k. This for a guy who played once or twice all year. That doesn't seem right either.

OgtheDim
12-15-2017, 06:54 AM
Spencer is officially an RSL HG. All HGs are automatically protected.

Aaaa...thanks for the clarification. I saw a tweet indicating he was in the protected list not the HG list. The press release confirms the HG status.

On another note, Morgan is once again the backup LB.

Derko
12-15-2017, 07:11 AM
People will never know what goes on behind the scene, deals are made, it is professional sports, it is a shame, but it happens, as was said we have many good players, and only good players with value would be selected in the draft and traded. It's not a matter of Bez 'Letting' Edwards go.

Ajax TFC
12-15-2017, 09:39 AM

https://mlsplayers.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/10/September-15-2017-Salary-Information-By-Club.pdf

Also, Morgan is on $100k. This for a guy who played once or twice all year. That doesn't seem right either.
Our two GKs put together make ~$300. That's damn cheap for two quality GKs, even if Bono gets a raise, considering some teams spend north of that on just their starter.

100k for morgan is also pretty reasonable. $100k is really not a huge cap hit anymore, and depending on how MLS rules work these days, he may not count against the cap since he's still a HG player (automatically protected in the draft).
Shit, this guy has survived a long ass time through a lot of turnover here. Made his debut under Dasovic...

Cas87
12-15-2017, 09:43 AM
Re-entry draft stage 1 is today at 3pm.

Anyone on the list intriguing?

https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2017/12/14/list-players-eligible-2017-mls-re-entry-draft-stage-1

Laba? Bloom? Edu?
Those three seem interesting for our bench BUT, if anyone is selected in this round the contract option for next season on their existing contract is activated.
Probably will see if we can get any in Stage 2 next week instead (can negotiate new contracts)

Ajax TFC
12-15-2017, 10:00 AM
Re-entry draft stage 1 is today at 3pm.

Anyone on the list intriguing?

https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2017/12/14/list-players-eligible-2017-mls-re-entry-draft-stage-1

Laba? Bloom? Edu?
Those three seem interesting for our bench BUT, if anyone is selected in this round the contract option for next season on their existing contract is activated.
Probably will see if we can get any in Stage 2 next week instead (can negotiate new contracts)
Love Laba, but he's probably there because of his knee injury (NE plastic claims another). If he's close to a return though, might be worth a look. I can think of better ways to spend 750k than Edu. Bloom might be interesting, but we're probably pretty set at RB with Hasler and Beitashour

Cas87
12-15-2017, 10:03 AM
Love Laba, but he's probably there because of his knee injury (NE plastic claims another). If he's close to a return though, might be worth a look. I can think of better ways to spend 750k than Edu. Bloom might be interesting, but we're probably pretty set at RB with Hasler and Beitashour

Bloom as cover in case Beita does leave though?

nonc
12-15-2017, 10:45 AM
Jarek Whiteman destroyed League1 Ontario this year with 29 goals in 22 appearances, runners-up had 17 goals. He is a former Canada youth international. Might be a good camp invite for a TFC II spot.

Leedsoronto
12-15-2017, 10:56 AM
TFC2 need something, last place every year is a little embarrassing

However, the first team took a while to get good, and look how good they got :@)

fergiejr
12-15-2017, 11:03 AM
TFC II has two purposes. 1) Develop talent for the first team. 2) Develop young Canadian talent for the national team. Where they place doesn't mean a thing to me as long as they are producing talent. If the team is doing it's job, then the roster will undergo an almost constant change. You can't build success on constant change - ala the first 9 years of TFC.

James17930
12-15-2017, 11:13 AM
Our two GKs put together make ~$300. That's damn cheap for two quality GKs, even if Bono gets a raise, considering some teams spend north of that on just their starter.

100k for morgan is also pretty reasonable. $100k is really not a huge cap hit anymore, and depending on how MLS rules work these days, he may not count against the cap since he's still a HG player (automatically protected in the draft).
Shit, this guy has survived a long ass time through a lot of turnover here. Made his debut under Dasovic...

But it is for a guy who doesn't even play. Hell, he doesn't even make the bench unless there are injuries. It's more than Hasler is making, for example.

If he's going to be the 'new Edwards' (I realize the irony there), then maybe that's fine. But if they're looking to bring more guys in, especially 'Mavinga quality guys,' Morgan's contract seems like a perfect place to start trimming.

ag futbol
12-15-2017, 11:16 AM
But you don’t typically build talent finishing dead last either.

Any metric you want to measure the 2nd team against, the results are underwhelming.

C.Ronaldo
12-15-2017, 11:55 AM
But you don’t typically build talent finishing dead last either.

Any metric you want to measure the 2nd team against, the results are underwhelming.

agreed, those young players are not gonna want to play on a team that is dead last

if you have talent, you shouldn't be so bad

Leedsoronto
12-15-2017, 11:57 AM
The best thing to come out of TFC2 was Edwards, and we released him. ?

So just build a winning team and let’s have fun supporting them, who the Fk wants to watch a bunch of losers, oh hold on !! We used to for first team Lol

Derko
12-15-2017, 12:17 PM
The best thing to come out of TFC2 was Edwards, and we released him. ?

So just build a winning team and let’s have fun supporting them, who the Fk wants to watch a bunch of losers, oh hold on !! We used to for first team Lol

Hardly released, unprotected

notthesun
12-15-2017, 12:38 PM
Looks like Moor has re-signed, I'd expect official news soon:

https://twitter.com/drewmoor/status/941722883327266816

BenRhodes23
12-15-2017, 12:45 PM
Looks like Moor has re-signed, I'd expect official news soon:

https://twitter.com/drewmoor/status/941722883327266816

Officially announced by TFC

notthesun
12-15-2017, 12:54 PM
One year plus an option year for Moor.

Gringo Starr
12-15-2017, 01:04 PM
Glad to have old man Moor back. He seems like the perfect mentor for the young pups in our back line. The heart issue must have been a big stress on him but he came through it like and as a champ.

Yohan
12-15-2017, 01:10 PM
West Ham released Doneil Henry. Might be interesting to have him back as 5th CB instead of Hernandez, if his injury problems are gone and on a manageable wage.

portu
12-15-2017, 01:11 PM
Doneil Henry released from West Ham

Lennon
12-15-2017, 01:17 PM
West Ham released Doneil Henry. Might be interesting to have him back as 5th CB instead of Hernandez, if his injury problems are gone and on a manageable wage.

Yes please. Would be nice to have some former players back.

Soolsma <3

Red CB Toronto
12-15-2017, 01:27 PM
[QUOTE=Lennon;1857545]Yes please. Would be nice to have some former players back.

[SIZE=1]Soolsma

KGH
12-15-2017, 02:11 PM
Wouldn't Henry have to go through the allocation process?

Edit - yup:
2017 Allocation Ranking ListLast update: August 10, 2017
The Allocation Ranking List is comprised of players in the following categories:

Select U.S. Men’s National Team players.
Select elite U.S. Youth National Team players.
Players transferred outside of MLS garnering a transfer fee of at least $500,000 (USD).

The players who will be included on the Allocation Ranking List will be determined by Major League Soccer’s player personnel department and club technical staffs and will be updated once each year, during the time window between the end of the MLS regular season and MLS Cup. The Allocation Ranking List will only be updated during the season if an elite U.S. youth national team player turns 18 or graduates from the U.S. Soccer Residency Program in Bradenton, FL and is deemed eligible for the list. In addition, the Allocation Ranking List will be updated when a player is transferred out of MLS for more than $500,000.

Player
Current club
Classification

Anangono, Juan
LDU Quito (ECU)
Transfer

Cameron, Geoff
Stoke City (ENG)
Transfer

Castillo, Fabian
Trabzonspor (TUR)
Transfer

Flores, Junior
Borussia Dortmund (GER)
Youth USMNT

Gonzalez, Giancarlo
Palermo (ITA)
Transfer

Gonzalez, Omar
Pachuca (MEX)
Transfer

Green, Julian
VfB Stuttgart (GER)
Youth USMNT

Henry, Doneil
West Ham Utd (ENG)
Transfer

Johannsson, Aron
Werder Bremen (GER)
Core Senior USMNT

Johnson, Fabian
Borussia Monchengladbach (GER)
Core Senior USMNT

Martins, Obafemi
Shanghai Greenland Shenhua (CHN)
Transfer

Miazga, Matt
Chelsea (ENG)
Transfer

Najar, Andy
Anderlecht (BEL)
Transfer

Poku, Kwadwo
Miami FC (NASL)
Transfer

Pulisic, Christian
Borussia Dortmund (GER)
Youth USMNT

Ream, Tim
Fulham (ENG)
Transfer

Rivero, Octavio
Colo Colo (CHI)
Transfer

Rochat, Alain
BSC Young Boys (SWI)
Transfer

Rosell, Oriol
Sporting Clube (POR)
Transfer

Rubin, Rubio
FC Utrecht (NED)
Youth USMNT

Sanvezzo, Camilo
Queretaro (MEX)
Transfer

Valencia, Jose Adolfo
Santa Fe (COL)
Transfer

Villafana, Jorge
Santos Laguna (MEX)
Transfer

Yedlin, DeAndre
Newcastle (ENG)
Transfer

ensco
12-15-2017, 02:44 PM

Isn’t he a Cyprus international now?

;-)

Initial B
12-15-2017, 06:53 PM
One of the things about the young players they released is - Vanney must be in close contact with Bent on the development of TFCII and academy players. There must be some in that group that they see being a replacement level above the players they let go. TFC is about due for another good player to come out of their academy, right?

MightyDM
12-15-2017, 07:01 PM

morgan just became more important. And the 3-5-2 fits his skill set better than the 4-4-2

Defoe
12-15-2017, 07:35 PM
I'd keep Cooper, if not for his CONCACAF dark arts which will come in handy for CCL run.
Agreed.

Defoe
12-15-2017, 07:38 PM
In terms of what Toronto NEEDS we need nothing. Our spine is incredible per league standards and the surrounding players continue to improve. That said, if you're not getting better, you're getting worse. Teams like Atlanta and NYCFC are hungry. We need to continue to maintain and maybe add another midfielder or defender with quality wouldn't hurt.

James17930
12-16-2017, 01:13 AM
morgan just became more important. And the 3-5-2 fits his skill set better than the 4-4-2

If he is able to capably take over Edwards's role, than yes.

But if we actually really want an upgrade in that position (to challenge or cover for Morrow), then 100k on a guy who doesn't even play is too much.

PizzaEatingYeti
12-16-2017, 05:36 AM
In terms of what Toronto NEEDS we need nothing. Our spine is incredible per league standards and the surrounding players continue to improve. That said, if you're not getting better, you're getting worse. Teams like Atlanta and NYCFC are hungry. We need to continue to maintain and maybe add another midfielder or defender with quality wouldn't hurt.

This!
Other teams will improve this offseason a lot.

We also need a good backup striker, which is clearly better quality than Ricketts.

rydermike
12-16-2017, 08:40 AM
Only two teams picked players in Stage 1 of the Re-Entry Draft (Colorado picked Mike Grella from NYRB and dealt him to the crew and Minnesota picked Tyrone Mears from Atlanta). Stage 2 is on the 21st

ensco
12-16-2017, 09:06 AM
There has to be change, that's inevitable, but there is no reason to do anything in the offseason that isn't a Vazquez level upgrade.

This group have all more than earned the right to come back. I expect natural upgrades to occur in the summer window, which is when the better South American moves happen, and when we have a better idea of what we need and how some bubble guys are doing.

Jpexxx
12-16-2017, 10:25 AM
So to confirm.
If you pick a player during Stage 1, you have to pick up whatever option cost the previous team had already signed. But when you get a player during Stage 2 you get to re-negotiate the wage??

rydermike
12-16-2017, 10:36 AM
So we have 18 players signed, with up to 12 more spots to fill.
We have 4 international spots open. We have 5 of the 3 Canadians domestics we need.

The only player I could see being dealt is Clint Irwin.

Of the out of contract players, I could see them retaining Zavaleta (very likely), Beitashour, Cooper, and Cheyrou (or retire). Alseth and Endoh very likely gone IMO due to the fact they take up international spots. Aubrey, Camargo, Spencer could get TFCII deals. Pais and Hernandez gone as well.

Goalkeepers
1) Alex Bono
2) Clint Irwin
28)

Left Back
3) Justin Morrow
4) Ashtone Morgan (CDN)
27)

Centre Backs
5) Drew Moor
6) Nick Hagglund
7) Chris Mavinga (INTL)
19)
20)
29)

Right Back
8) Nicholas Hasler (INTL)
21)
22)

Midfielders
9) Michael Bradley
10) Victor Vasquez (INTL)
11) Marky Delgado
12) Jonathan Osorio (CDN)
13) Jay Chapman (CDN)
23)
24)
25)
26)
30)

Strikers
14) Sebastian Giovinco (INTL)
15) Jozy Altidore
16) Tosaint Ricketts (CDN)
17)Jordan Hamilton (CDN)
18) Ayo Akinola

Out of Contract:
GK
Mark Pais

DF
Eriq Zavaleta
Steven Beitashour
Brandon Aubrey
Oyvind Alseth (INTL)
Jason Hernandez

MF
Armando Cooper (INTL)
Benoit Cheyrou (INTL)
Tsubasa Endoh (INTL)
Sergio Carmargo (CDN)

FW
Ben Spencer

Updates:
Akinola signed

Cas87
12-16-2017, 10:52 AM
So to confirm.
If you pick a player during Stage 1, you have to pick up whatever option cost the previous team had already signed. But when you get a player during Stage 2 you get to re-negotiate the wage??

:thumbsup: Yes

Defoe
12-16-2017, 11:00 AM
@rydermike - It seems to me we require a RB and midfield depth. I'd be happy to bring back Beitashour and Cooper honestly. If we upgrade, that's great. But i'm not expecting anything huge this season.

OgtheDim
12-16-2017, 11:26 AM
https://twitter.com/JohnMolinaro/status/940632185547059201

https://twitter.com/JohnMolinaro/status/940639338752180224

PizzaEatingYeti
12-16-2017, 11:55 AM
There has to be change, that's inevitable, but there is no reason to do anything in the offseason that isn't a Vazquez level upgrade.

I rate Victor perfectly on equal level with Seba, Jozy and Michael.
In my eyes we have played this whole season with 4 DP-s.

So picking up even a single player of that quality IMO is almost impossible, and not even imagining two guys of that same quality.
(2 other guys with Victor's quality would make us clearly the best team of North and Central America.)

I think we should be happy picking up 2 players with the same value like Morrow.

michaeltfc91
12-16-2017, 12:17 PM

So picking up even a single player of that quality IMO is almost impossible, and not even imagining two guys of that same quality.
(2 other guys with Victor's quality would make us clearly the best team of North and Central America.)

I think we should be happy picking up 2 players with the same value like Morrow.

^^ Agreed, but I think the goal is to have 4 DPs (giovinco, jozy, bradley vasquez) and 7 guys as valuable as Morrow (Morrow, Bono and Delgado will improve, Mavinga and Moor already there... a RB and a LM. Then a bench of Ricketts, Osorio, Zavaleta, Hagglund, Hasler, Chapman, Irwin is just unbelievable

Hamilton_Red
12-16-2017, 12:22 PM
Mavinga was a crucial addition as well. To go from 39 GA to 37 GA and at the same time essentially moving from 4-4-2 to 3-5-2 is some achievement. Keeping tight at the back while allowing for attacks from the wings and through the middle was a beautiful thing - built the platform for Vasquez and the team to score 74 goals. If some other team wants to Win the MLS Cup next year they are going to have to come to Toronto in December to do it.

nonc
12-16-2017, 12:44 PM

So picking up even a single player of that quality IMO is almost impossible

Nothing is impossible with $4 million TAM!

James17930
12-16-2017, 08:48 PM
Mavinga was a crucial addition as well. To go from 39 GA to 37 GA and at the same time essentially moving from 4-4-2 to 3-5-2 is some achievement. Keeping tight at the back while allowing for attacks from the wings and through the middle was a beautiful thing - built the platform for Vasquez and the team to score 74 goals. If some other team wants to Win the MLS Cup next year they are going to have to come to Toronto in December to do it.

Yes. Mavinga really needs to be lauded as a fantastic pick-up as well. If not quite equal to Vasquez, probably almost as important in a different way.

JuliquE
12-16-2017, 10:23 PM
Nothing is impossible with $4 million TAM!
Actually, on top of the 1.2 mil. we had, and the 2.8 just added (making the 4 mil. your referenced), we can use 2019's 2.8 TAM for the upcoming season (total of $6.8 million)… just have to be careful not to find ourselves in another Laba situation, although pundits are saying it's quite likely we see another increase, come then.

To be fair, they also thought a fourth DP would be introduced, when we brought Bradley in, with Laba the odd man out, and we know how that ended…

Luanda
12-17-2017, 07:36 PM
Let is bring Laba back!

MightyDM
12-18-2017, 10:34 AM
^^ Agreed, but I think the goal is to have 4 DPs (giovinco, jozy, bradley vasquez) and 7 guys as valuable as Morrow (Morrow, Bono and Delgado will improve, Mavinga and Moor already there... a RB and a LM. Then a bench of Ricketts, Osorio, Zavaleta, Hagglund, Hasler, Chapman, Irwin is just unbelievable

With his performance in the playoffs, particularly the final, Osorio is a starter now and is clearly seen as such by Vanney. I also think we are going to see much more of Hagglund. Remember how dominant he was in the air against Montreal last year? No one else on the roster brings that.

sn0re
12-18-2017, 10:39 AM
Let is bring Laba back!

But where would Laba fit in all of this?..

TFC07
12-18-2017, 11:09 AM
Toronto FC Sign Ayo Akinola

Source: https://www.torontofc.ca/post/2017/12/18/toronto-fc-sign-ayo-akinola

T.O TILL I DIE
12-18-2017, 11:11 AM
Sources from TorontoFc instagram.

Toronto Fc sign USA International and homegrown Ayo Akinola!
Welcome to Toronto

Red I
12-18-2017, 11:20 AM
Toronto FC Sign Ayo Akinola

Source: https://www.torontofc.ca/post/2017/12/18/toronto-fc-sign-ayo-akinola

Holy cow, Ayo was born in 2000! Man I feel old :(

Detroit_TFC
12-18-2017, 11:45 AM
Seems obvious he'd get a HGP deal, but thinking more about it, this is a big deal. His profile went way up recently and likely had interest from European clubs.

jloome
12-18-2017, 12:58 PM
Seems obvious he'd get a HGP deal, but thinking more about it, this is a big deal. His profile went way up recently and likely had interest from European clubs.

This is a huge signing. He was expected to go to a team in Germany or Holland, as there are European suitors who think he can play right away, ala Pulisic or Davies.

Very happy with this. Makes up for losing Rahim.

notthesun
12-18-2017, 01:43 PM
I'm really pleasantly surprised, I considered it a given he was going to go to Europe. This is big to be able to hold onto him for a bit. I bet the season we just had was a big reason he decided to stick around.

trane
12-18-2017, 02:47 PM
What about Hasler??? He seemed to be a solid utility player for the mid and the back.

Just saw him there.

trane
12-18-2017, 02:53 PM
I would expect them to re-sign Zaveleta. We need another CB experienced in our system/style.

Cooper, is good depth in the midfield.

cherono
12-18-2017, 03:07 PM
He's Ooola
Ayo Akinola
Ayo Akinooolaaa...

Well that's his song sorted lol.

Auzzy
12-18-2017, 04:46 PM
What about Hasler??? He seemed to be a solid utility player for the mid and the back.

Just saw him there.

Hasler was already under contract for next year. His salary is sure to jump up a bit though.

https://www.torontofc.ca/post/2017/12/14/toronto-fc-announce-roster-options-following-2017-championship-season

barticusz
12-18-2017, 05:03 PM
I'm really pleasantly surprised, I considered it a given he was going to go to Europe. This is big to be able to hold onto him for a bit. I bet the season we just had was a big reason he decided to stick around.

This is great news! Definitely makes up for losing Raheem, who I really hope is successful in Montreal. If Ayo is as good as projected I can see him being sold in few years. I believe under the new rules when a team sells their own homegrown/academy products they receive the full payment, as opposed to some of the transfer fees going to say the league.

Initial B
12-18-2017, 06:31 PM
Think about it: It's a lot easier to get to the Club World Cup through CONCACAF than through UEFA. Should make up for Raheem's loss, but is he better? Still unproven at MLS level I guess we'll see him in preseason.

PizzaEatingYeti
12-19-2017, 05:17 AM
Think about it: It's a lot easier to get to the Club World Cup through CONCACAF than through UEFA. Should make up for Raheem's loss, but is he better? Still unproven at MLS level I guess we'll see him in preseason.

This!
For TFC in this coming season how the heck can be a 17 years old more useful, or even at the same level like a well tested 22 years old should have been, like Raheem?
Unless he is some sensational wonder kid...

portu
12-19-2017, 05:36 AM
Until the club reaches an agreement or disagreement with Beitashour and Zavaleta this is going to be a real slow off-season.

No way they make any salary budget relevant moves before they know how those two are going to impact the budget.

OgtheDim
12-19-2017, 06:59 AM
Good teams lose players

but bad teams lose even more players

Derko
12-19-2017, 07:29 AM
This!
For TFC in this coming season how the heck can be a 17 years old more useful, or even at the same level like a well tested 22 years old should have been, like Raheem?
Unless he is some sensational wonder kid...

Well perhaps those that are more learned than you and I have already figured that out, what I mean is that those that are getting paid to evaluate players are making the decisions, not us Video Game Virtual managers, lol

C.Ronaldo
12-19-2017, 09:34 AM
Well perhaps those that are more learned than you and I have already figured that out, what I mean is that those that are getting paid to evaluate players are making the decisions, not us Video Game Virtual managers, lol

he can probably help next year or the year after while we use the extra TAM to help us in the near future

this kid was/is euro bound. its about selling him

PizzaEatingYeti
12-19-2017, 10:08 AM
he can probably help next year or the year after while we use the extra TAM to help us in the near future

this kid was/is euro bound. its about selling him

Exactly this I wanted to say in my previous post.
I cannot see any contribution by this kid to the 1st team's 2018 season even close to what Raheem could have been.
IMO it is very clear we bough him not for immediate impact, but to develop him, keep him hopefully 3 years, so he can contribute some to our 2019 season and a bit more to the 2020 season, and then sell him with a nice profit.

ag futbol
12-19-2017, 10:14 AM
This isn’t a replacement for Edwards. He’s going to fight with Ricketts for minutes or be dropped into midfield late in games as an attacking sub.

And he only played 10 games for TFC II last year, still room to play him there i’d think.

My suspicion is Morgan has until the summer window to prove he’s capable of taking that spot back.

PizzaEatingYeti
12-19-2017, 11:29 AM
This isn’t a replacement for Edwards. He’s going to fight with Ricketts for minutes or be dropped into midfield late in games as an attacking sub.

And he only played 10 games for TFC II last year, still room to play him there i’d think.

My suspicion is Morgan has until the summer window to prove he’s capable of taking that spot back.

Sure!
He should be starter in all TFC 2 games, when he's not on the bench for the first team.

PizzaEatingYeti
12-19-2017, 11:31 AM
One question to all those who know about this guy (watched videos, read stuff about him, etc.), because I confess I have no idea about him:

Is him the most promising young talent ever signed in the history of TFC?

notthesun
12-19-2017, 01:09 PM
One question to all those who know about this guy (watched videos, read stuff about him, etc.), because I confess I have no idea about him:

I think so. Doneil Henry would be the closest in terms of projections when he was signed (unfortunately his career's been derailed somewhat by injuries).

Akinola led the U17 U.S. team in goals in 2016 and was second in 2017 (to Josh Sargent, who just signed for Werder Bremen). He's extremely quick and agile. He's played as a winger and striker.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gxo4Til51z4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zLOJkXefgCk

PizzaEatingYeti
12-19-2017, 01:37 PM
I think so. Doneil Henry would be the closest in terms of projections when he was signed (unfortunately his career's been derailed somewhat by injuries).

Akinola led the U17 U.S. team in goals in 2016 and was second in 2017 (to Josh Sargent, who just signed for Werder Bremen). He's extremely quick and agile. He's played as a winger and striker.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gxo4Til51z4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zLOJkXefgCk

Thanks!
Yeah, he looks good!
I don't know why, but his style when attacking the goal seems like a very young Jozy, with a bit of more native skill on the ball. :)

Greatest Ripoff
12-19-2017, 05:44 PM

ive only watched him play for TFC2 but I don't think he has looked as good as Hundal.

portu
12-20-2017, 03:14 AM
ive only watched him play for TFC2 but I don't think he has looked as good as Hundal.
Yup^. Get the sense that the main reason they are signing Akinola is to ensure that they don't lose him for free to another club.

rydermike
12-20-2017, 07:26 AM
Yup^. Get the sense that the main reason they are signing Akinola is to ensure that they don't lose him for free to another club.
Kind of like signing Camargo and Chapman the past couple years. Signed them so they couldn't be drafted by other teams. Akinola wasn't draft eligible but same premise just keeping him from euro teams instead of other mls teams like the other two

PizzaEatingYeti
12-20-2017, 07:33 AM
Meh... the last 3 posts really deflated me... :rolleyes:
The first 4-5 posters after the news we signed him made me think that the guy is really special... but maybe not so much.

Oh well... Probably the next month or so will be extremely quiet in here.

Joe Kool
12-20-2017, 08:46 AM
Meh... the last 3 posts really deflated me... :rolleyes:
The first 4-5 posters after the news we signed him made me think that the guy is really special... but maybe not so much.

Oh well... Probably the next month or so will be extremely quiet in here.

I think he has the potential to be special. TFC just didn't want to find out by him playing well for another club in the league or in Europe. I am ok with this. Just a business decision to try to hold onto a young prospect. If they work out you sign them to better deals. If not you cut them loose. They have done it with a number of other players like some other people mentioned. Some work out. Some don't.

TFC1154ever
12-20-2017, 03:49 PM
Starting to get a little antsy for some transfer news. I’m convinced we’re going to sign a CM to compete for a starting 11 job. Bez said he expects to sign 2 guys, I’m wondering where the other one will be. Up top? Or a CB?

Oldtimer
12-20-2017, 06:01 PM
Starting to get a little antsy for some transfer news. I’m convinced we’re going to sign a CM to compete for a starting 11 job. Bez said he expects to sign 2 guys, I’m wondering where the other one will be. Up top? Or a CB?

Doesn't the transfer window open in January? Unless it's an MLS trade, we won't hear anything until then.

flamehawk
12-20-2017, 06:18 PM
This would be another nightmare trade :(

A. Totera‏ @4totera (https://twitter.com/4totera)FollowingFollowing
@4totera

More

Sources confirm to me seconds ago that Canadian Doneil Henry on the verge of returning to MLS with possible target destinationhttps://abs.twimg.com/emoji/v2/72x72/1f449.pngVancouver

RealG-TFC
12-20-2017, 06:34 PM
This would be another nightmare trade :(

A. Totera‏ @4totera (https://twitter.com/4totera)FollowingFollowing
@4totera

More

Sources confirm to me seconds ago that Canadian Doneil Henry on the verge of returning to MLS with possible target destinationhttps://abs.twimg.com/emoji/v2/72x72/1f449.pngVancouver

I'm happy with that. It gets Doneil's career back on track but I'd rather it be Vancouver, than us. We already have championship winning defence.

OgtheDim
12-20-2017, 07:03 PM
Trade away was good for Doniel. Didn't work out.

If he comes back to some place else (other then Montreal) and plays, all power to him.

He doesn't fit how we play.

TFC07
12-20-2017, 07:08 PM
I remember Henry was playing well in his last season or two with TFC before moving to Europe.

Henry still has upside of becoming a good CB in MLS.

Pendrith
12-20-2017, 07:18 PM
Really liked Henry his last year with TFC but injuries has hampered his career. Hopefully he is healthy again and continue the promise he had in his last year with TFC

reggie
12-20-2017, 10:53 PM
Totera mentioned a rumour tonight ... claudio marchiso to TFC,has anybody else heard that rumour

wynne
12-20-2017, 11:30 PM
Totera mentioned a rumour tonight ... claudio marchiso to TFC,has anybody else heard that rumour
He didn't mention it, he shot down a rumor saying they were close to signing him a few years ago

Shway
12-20-2017, 11:31 PM
Maybe to Montreal..... Can't see how we could afford him 1....secondly I don't think he's a player we need.

TFC1154ever
12-21-2017, 03:01 AM
Just finished listening to totera’s show, where he interviewed manning. Said they would like to add another goal scorer (striker I’m assuming), a CM, another wingback, and a CB. Im assuming, only 2 of those would be TAM signings.

Also said they have narrowed down their list over the last 2 weeks.

Ben - D.O.W.
12-21-2017, 10:11 AM
Cheyrou has hung up his boots officially. Sorry to see him go. (also sorry if this should be it's own thread)

ag futbol
12-21-2017, 01:40 PM
Just finished listening to totera’s show, where he interviewed manning. Said they would like to add another goal scorer (striker I’m assuming), a CM, another wingback, and a CB. Im assuming, only 2 of those would be TAM signings.

Also said they have narrowed down their list over the last 2 weeks.
Thanks for the recap. I think that’s good news all around. I’ll be interested to see what the club comes up with prior to opening day.

barticusz
12-21-2017, 11:18 PM
With cheyrous retirement theres some extra cap space to go with all that TAM. I'm expecting some signings in early January.

Stress
12-22-2017, 02:50 PM
With cheyrous retirement theres some extra cap space to go with all that TAM. I'm expecting some signings in early January.

If I recall correctly, cheryou's cap hit was peanuts this year.

Cas87
12-22-2017, 03:33 PM
If I recall correctly, cheryou's cap hit was peanuts this year.

as per the MLSPA -- $65,000
https://mlsplayers.org/salary-guide/

Basically, in terms of salary it is probably a straight swap of Cheyrou for Akinola (roughly)

Doing quick math in my head off of the reported salaries from the MLSPA in September (so take the total with a grain of salt, numbers aren't my thing)
we should have roughly 985,000 open with who was released (factor in that Drew probably got a raise in there, so I didn't add in his old salary into the total, and the signing of Akinola)

rydermike
12-22-2017, 03:52 PM

Basically, in terms of salary it is probably a straight swap of Cheyrou for Akinola (roughly)

Doing quick math in my head off of the reported salaries from the MLSPA in September (so take the total with a grain of salt, numbers aren't my thing)
we should have roughly 985,000 open with who was released (factor in that Drew probably got a raise in there, so I didn't add in his old salary into the total, and the signing of Akinola)

Akinola is Homegrown, so he won't count against the cap, but that $65,000 will probably get covered by raises to Moor and Zavaleta.

Bobo
12-22-2017, 05:55 PM
Maybe to Montreal..... Can't see how we could afford him 1....secondly I don't think he's a player we need.

No way TTC can afford him, but he would most definitely be useful. Think Delgado but infinitely better (and injury prone).

MightyDM
12-22-2017, 11:16 PM

Nowhere near this, I am afraid. Assuming zavaleta returns that is. Cooper 260000 and most of the rest aren't a hit at all, excepting beita.

flamehawk
12-23-2017, 12:27 AM
https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2017/12/22/roster-build-tor

Weirdly, i just came across this article suggesting TFC was going to sign Jelani Peters from TFC II, whom I wouldn't say necessarily impressed much.

Shway
12-23-2017, 02:08 PM

Weirdly, i just came across this article suggesting TFC was going to sign Jelani Peters from TFC II, whom I wouldn't say necessarily impressed much.

Funny cause I thought he was good.

Defoe
12-23-2017, 04:12 PM
I think we're pretty set up top. With Altidore, Giovinco, Ricketts, Hamilton and Akinola how much better can we get!?

I'd be happy with a midfielder to compliment Vazquez and Bradley and compete or push out Delgado/Osorio.

On defence, i'm pretty happy with Morrow, Moor and Mavinga. Then we have Hagglund in the mix. I'd like to bring back Zav as depth.

If we sign an improved midfielder and and a RB I'd be pretty ecstatic. With our core at 30, we should sign a skilled 22-26 year old that Vazquez and Bradley can mold for the future.

flamehawk
12-23-2017, 07:15 PM
Funny cause I thought he was good.

Truth of the matter is that I don't remember him much. Which probably is a really good sign as a center Defender

PopePouri
12-23-2017, 10:17 PM

I think Liam Fraser is definite HG signing during preseason.

TFC/Everton
12-26-2017, 03:12 PM
Came across this: https://www.completesportsnigeria.com/another-nigerian-youngster-saleh-set-mls-hi/

I can't find much on this kid, but hopefully he can be a solid addition to TFCII.

notthesun
12-26-2017, 05:46 PM
Came across this: https://www.completesportsnigeria.com/another-nigerian-youngster-saleh-set-mls-hi/

I can't find much on this kid, but hopefully he can be a solid addition to TFCII.

I can see this just because TFC II doesn't and really has never had solid full back prospects. Good sign presuming they are looking to scout in that position anyways.

Shway
12-26-2017, 08:30 PM
I think Malik Johnson will get a look too this preseason. Think he coud be our new Raheem.

Defoe
12-27-2017, 11:47 PM
absolutely no juicy rumours :(

Shway
12-28-2017, 12:40 AM
The club has been linked to Muhammed Saleh, 18 yo Nigerian who will join TFC II ¿ in preseason.

PizzaEatingYeti
12-28-2017, 07:25 AM
absolutely no juicy rumours :(
We should not expect anything juicy til the end of January.
It's a great way to avoid any shadow of disappointment.

kuku
12-28-2017, 11:03 AM
The club has been linked to Muhammed Saleh, 18 yo Nigerian who will join TFC II ¿ in preseason.

Looks Like TFC have signed him.
http://owngoalnigeria.com/2017/12/28/he-reminds-me-of-danilo-in-his-prime-toronto-fc-bound-saleh-muhammed-earns-high-praises/

Areathrasher
12-28-2017, 11:25 AM
i'd take that with a pinch of salt for now. Some Ghanaian fella was also supposedly on his way but there hasn't been a peep in weeks.

EDIT: I stand corrected - Kristin Dyer is reporting it too

Another source tells Metro that another Nigerian teenager, Muhammed Saleh, will join reigning MLS Cup champions Toronto FC and will start his career with the club in the USL.
It is a formula that has worked well in other places.

https://www.metro.us/sports/mls-looking-to-scout-western-africa#.WkROLt1HKqs.twitter

nonc
12-28-2017, 12:27 PM
Bez knows he needs to address the state of TFC II, seems like a great signing in that sense with legit first team potential down the road.

Auzzy
12-28-2017, 04:55 PM

Interesting, right back, doesn't seem like our biggest need. (I realize he's not for the first team at the beginning.)

Yohan
12-29-2017, 08:30 AM
Is there a Giovinco to Inter rumour?
His agent pretty much quashed it. Giovinco loves Toronto

https://www.football-italia.net/114853/giovinco-inter-bad-move

BendItLikeGio
12-29-2017, 10:09 AM

TFC are the ones not offering anything. Beita really wants to stay, hes loved it here and also has proven himself in the league to be key. Having him back there has allowed some of our young CB like Mavinga/Hagg/Zava to push forward sometimes. hes always there in the back if he isn't running down the plank. Hasler is good replacement but only going forward, Hasler isnt defensive minded compared to Beita but is great going forward. Gooooood Source says TFC want to waste some TAM money.

BendItLikeGio
12-29-2017, 10:47 AM
GIO would never go to Inter, especially being a Juve boy.

Is there a Giovinco to Inter rumour?
His agent pretty much quashed it. Giovinco loves Toronto

https://www.football-italia.net/114853/giovinco-inter-bad-move

Ossington Mental Youth
12-29-2017, 10:51 AM
TFC are the ones not offering anything. Beita really wants to stay, hes loved it here and also has proven himself in the league to be key. Having him back there has allowed some of our young CB like Mavinga/Hagg/Zava to push forward sometimes. hes always there in the back if he isn't running down the plank. Hasler is good replacement but only going forward, Hasler isnt defensive minded compared to Beita but is great going forward. Gooooood Source says TFC want to waste some TAM money.
TAM on an Rb?

BendItLikeGio
12-29-2017, 11:01 AM
yeah

TAM on an Rb?

Shway
12-29-2017, 02:06 PM
yeah

...right!

Highly doubt TFC spends TAM for an RB, and I don't need sources for that.

OgtheDim
12-29-2017, 02:07 PM
Wait...they are trying to get this team to 18 deep and want to spend TAM on a RB?

I'll wait to see who they spend it on but that is unusual.

Areathrasher
12-29-2017, 02:16 PM
To play devils advocate here...

Beita was on $260k ish and likely wants a raise. So lets say he's in the 300k range if re-signed. Thats a full 300k against the salary budget.

Lets say the sign a RB from abroad. His salary and transfer fee amortized to something like 600k a year. Use 400-450k worth of the TAM to buy the new RB down to 150-200k against the budget and you've replaced Beita and saved some budget space.

Not advocating that's the way to go just that there is a certain logic to doing something like that.

Yohan
12-29-2017, 03:32 PM
GIO would never go to Inter, especially being a Juve boy.
Pirlo played for AC Milan then switched to Juventus. Granted, he was pissed at AC Milan but playing for a rival isn't a definite no no.
Yes, I understand that Giovinco has been a Juve supporter since a child.

Yohan
12-29-2017, 03:36 PM
To play devils advocate here...

Beita was on $260k ish and likely wants a raise. So lets say he's in the 300k range if re-signed. Thats a full 300k against the salary budget.

Lets say the sign a RB from abroad. His salary and transfer fee amortized to something like 600k a year. Use 400-450k worth of the TAM to buy the new RB down to 150-200k against the budget and you've replaced Beita and saved some budget space.

Not advocating that's the way to go just that there is a certain logic to doing something like that.
Just to add to this, with so much TAM floating around, teams are willing to TAM on any position. Seattle spent TAM money on RB Leerdam (who has been phenomenal for them last season) and FC Dallas spent 1.5 mil on a LB. As Areathrasher said, TAM is one way to reduce cap hit and create cap space for other signings. And it makes sense if TFC wants to go 2 deep in every position. And MLS teams are spending more on fullbacks, because so much of overlap flank play in modern football relies on fullbacks.

Vanney's 3-5-2 heavily relies on wingbacks. Money has to be spent there to upgrade from Beitashour or Hasler.

Areathrasher
12-29-2017, 03:48 PM
That Bulgarian fella Dallas signed was $1.5M?

Redpunkfiddle
12-29-2017, 04:23 PM
Sure, but TAM can only be used on a player with a salary at or above the max of about $480,000. Do we pay an RB that much when putting all these pieces together? Sure, the cap hit can be lowered with the TAM, but I doubt we will be giving him that kind of raise.

Yohan
12-29-2017, 04:58 PM
That Bulgarian fella Dallas signed was $1.5M?
I swear to god I saw a quote from someone that said FCD signed that Bulgarian dude for 1.5m transfer fee, but I can't find it.

Yohan
12-29-2017, 05:02 PM
Sure, but TAM can only be used on a player with a salary at or above the max of about $480,000. Do we pay an RB that much when putting all these pieces together? Sure, the cap hit can be lowered with the TAM, but I doubt we will be giving him that kind of raise.
It's sustainable if TAM given every year is consistent. Esp if MLS is going to pay for transfer fees, and that factors into cost of a player.

TFC1154ever
12-29-2017, 05:35 PM
Like I said last week, Manning said he wanted a striker, a CM, a wingback and a CB. Two of those will be TAM signings. If true, the rumour of him spending TAM on a RWB would be along the lines of what he said.

RedsYNWA
12-29-2017, 05:40 PM
As far as good RB that we could spend TAM on;

I would love to see Us sign Jeremy Pied (SOUTHAMPTON) he's a great RB a Frenchman still 28 out of contract I believe in 6 months...
or better yet to get a great leader Juan Fran form Atletico Madrid I know he is on the wrong side of 30 but if I believe he could still go 3-4 years, he also has 6 months left on his contract

Redpunkfiddle
12-29-2017, 08:23 PM
Sure we could spend TAM on an RB. But it will be a new player.

TAM won't be used on Beita. He's the man but he isn't going to get paid $480k or more.

19Barrett19
12-29-2017, 09:56 PM
Sure we could spend TAM on an RB. But it will be a new player.

TAM won't be used on Beita. He's the man but he isn't going to get paid $480k or more.

For 480k you could get Błaszczkowski from Wolfsburg I would die and go to heaven if he played for TFC he could play 2 1/2 years for TFC and retire a legend like cheyrou nothing but class

portu
12-29-2017, 10:11 PM
For 480k you could get Błaszczkowski from Wolfsburg I would die and go to heaven if he played for TFC he could play 2 1/2 years for TFC and retire a legend like cheyrou nothing but class
Signing Kuba would be a dream, would buy that jersey for myself and the whole family

I'd like to see us grab Pereira from Porto but i also think that's unrealistic

Areathrasher
12-29-2017, 11:52 PM
I swear to god I saw a quote from someone that said FCD signed that Bulgarian dude for 1.5m transfer fee, but I can't find it.

I dont doubt it as the Caps paid 1.3M for that Venezuelan lad and he's a TAM player.

Just interesting if 1-1.5M fees are now TAMable. Laba was 1.5M and he was a DP.

Ossington Mental Youth
12-30-2017, 12:01 AM
Exciting to see how the money is spent. Don't doubt Bez will sort it.

BenRhodes23
12-30-2017, 12:07 AM
Giovinco's agent denies move to Inter:

https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2017/12/29/report-sebastian-giovincos-agent-nixes-talk-inter-milan-move?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=referral&utm_content=news&utm_campaign=unpaid

tfcmanu
12-30-2017, 09:49 AM
#TorontoFC #Toronto #mls #tfc REPORT: Toronto show interest in Argentine defender Germán Conti. https://t.co/I0D0HzrbaQ

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Germ%C3%A1n_Conti

barticusz
12-30-2017, 10:52 AM
Can't see us picking up this kid for cheap. Looks like a solid player that fits our pressing game though.