PDA

View Full Version : TFC 2017-2018 player Off-season moves/speculation/rumours

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7

Defoe
02-10-2018, 05:05 PM
Not sure exactly how all the pieces will fit, but In Bez We Trust.

It serves a few purposes; obvious information you already know but I'l just state it. 1) Gives us strength and reliable depth at wing/RB. 2) if Van Der Weil falters here, or is injured; we are not playing with Hasler/Kubel at RB for 20 + games. Hasler is ok, but people are forgetting he's not a great RB. I'm not 100 % sure but isn't he more of a midfielder? 3) Van Der Weil is not a long term option relaisticly, while Auro could be. 4) Toronto was very fortunate to be so healthy last year; who know's if that can continue.

Good move in my opinion. We wanted a young player and we got it. Hopefully he's versatile.

I was hoping for a midfielder to get Osorio out of the starting 11 but this is good too

OgtheDim
02-10-2018, 05:17 PM
are they still looking at quintero?

Not sure they ever were.

Areathrasher
02-10-2018, 05:20 PM
I've been told Mariano Mino is a TFC II project. Won't be with the first team.

That makes sense

Auzzy
02-10-2018, 05:25 PM
The Auro loan is very interesting, even if a bit strange. It seemed like a replacement for Cheyrou was also a big need.

Larson mentions he can play right FB, or as a winger on either side. However his Brazilian YouTube highlights have him listed as "Right Back / Central Midfielder" (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YTW7PAJMmAA) so that would give them more options. Of course GvdW can also attack up the right, especially if they play 3/5 at the back. It will be interesting how duties are divided between Auro, GvdW, Hasler, Delgado, Fraser, Chapman, Osorio and Kübel (plus Bradley and Vazquez as 90-minute starters of course).

Defoe
02-10-2018, 05:28 PM
The Auro loan is very interesting, even if a bit strange. It seemed like a replacement for Cheyrou was also a big need.

Larson mentions he can play right FB, or as a winger on either side. However his Brazilian YouTube highlights have him listed as "Right Back / Central Midfielder" (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YTW7PAJMmAA) so that would give them more options. Of course GvdW can also attack up the right, especially if they play 3/5 at the back. It will be interesting how duties are divided between Auro, GvdW, Hasler, Delgado, Fraser, Chapman and Osorio (plus Bradley and Vazquez as 90-minute starters of course).

Yes. Auro may be one of our top defenders with Van Der Weil. You would think they would both have to play. Interesting to see how they would get both Van Der Weil and Auro both in the lineup.

Defoe
02-10-2018, 05:57 PM
This is all I can come up with right now. Maybe TFC see him with midfield potential. He's only 22 after all.

-------------------Jozy-Seba
Morrow-Vazquez-Bradley-Auro-Van Der Weil
----------Mavinga-Moor-Zavaletta

reggie
02-10-2018, 06:00 PM
i think he can slot in for oso or marky and can back up weils and morrow,probs a gam signing,probs why bez made the tam for gam trade.still got plenty tam to grab another good player.thats my opin abrev style.

reggie
02-10-2018, 06:02 PM
This is all I can come up with right now. Maybe TFC see him with midfield potential. He's only 22 after all.

-------------------Jozy-Seba
Morrow-Vazquez-Bradley-Auro-Van Der Weil
----------Mavinga-Moor-Zavaletta
this:scarf:

OgtheDim
02-10-2018, 06:11 PM
Larson did Paul Mariner scouting and indicated Auro hasn't played in 2 years.

If so, he ain't starting until April.

reggie
02-10-2018, 06:14 PM

what he didnt go scout him in person?

nonc
02-10-2018, 06:36 PM
If Zavaleta starts I am disappointed, we have better players.

Areathrasher
02-10-2018, 06:53 PM

He played 1300ishmins in 2017 for America Minero across all competitions before being injured.

Defoe
02-10-2018, 07:44 PM
If Zavaleta starts I am disappointed, we have better players.

Or he could fit on the RM in a 4-4-2.

------------Seba-Jozy
Delgado-Bradley-Vazquez-Auro
Morrow-Mavinga-Moor-Van Der Weil
-------------Bono-------------------

Those are our best 11 best players in my opinion. It get's Zav and Oso on the bench.

James17930
02-10-2018, 08:38 PM

Do you work with the team or are you in the media?

MightyDM
02-10-2018, 09:56 PM
It serves a few purposes; obvious information you already know but I'l just state it. 1) Gives us strength and reliable depth at wing/RB. 2) if Van Der Weil falters here, or is injured; we are not playing with Hasler/Kubel at RB for 20 + games. Hasler is ok, but people are forgetting he's not a great RB. I'm not 100 % sure but isn't he more of a midfielder? 3) Van Der Weil is not a long term option relaisticly, while Auro could be. 4) Toronto was very fortunate to be so healthy last year; who know's if that can continue.

Good move in my opinion. We wanted a young player and we got it. Hopefully he's versatile.

I was hoping for a midfielder to get Osorio out of the starting 11 but this is good too

osorio has earned his role through improved and sometimes excellent play. He was the best player on the pitch the first half of the final. And he’s a local boy. I’m cheering for him.

MightyDM
02-10-2018, 09:57 PM
Or he could fit on the RM in a 4-4-2.

------------Seba-Jozy
Delgado-Bradley-Vazquez-Auro
Morrow-Mavinga-Moor-Van Der Weil
-------------Bono-------------------

Those are our best 11 best players in my opinion. It get's Zav and Oso on the bench.

When have you seen Auro and Van Der Weil play in MLS? Both have pedigree, but both are coming off situations where they weren’t playing.

TFC/Everton
02-10-2018, 10:00 PM
Do you work with the team or are you in the media?

A friend works with the team.

Bobo
02-10-2018, 11:47 PM
osorio has earned his role through improved and sometimes excellent play. He was the best player on the pitch the first half of the final. And he’s a local boy. I’m cheering for him.

This. He was magnificent against Seattle. That being said, I like him much more in a diamond midfield where less running is required. If Vanney goes that route, I want to see Oso get significant minutes.

Hamilton_Red
02-11-2018, 02:44 AM
The key here is Hassler. He may be the best midfielder in the team behind Bradley and Vasquez.

I'm not sure where the Hasler love is coming from. He filled in for Beitshour reasonably well...but it wasn't clear that he was a significant improvement. Others have been seeing him as central midfielder on what evidence ...I'm not sure. This season will be the real test of how important a player he is for us. I hope he does well - but the jury is still out IMO.

James17930
02-11-2018, 05:26 AM

A friend works with the team.

Cool. Nice to get the inside scoop.

JuliquE
02-11-2018, 05:38 AM
This. He was magnificent against Seattle. That being said, I like him much more in a diamond midfield where less running is required. If Vanney goes that route, I want to see Oso get significant minutes.
Amen. This tired and forced mantra against our local boys is getting old—sheesh!

TFC1154ever
02-11-2018, 12:03 PM
I think this is how TFC sees the right side situation.

RB: Gregory Van Wiel
Sub: Hasler
RWB/RW: Auro
Sub: Kubel

They are still trying to sign a number 8. That will be the final final piece to the puzzle, and we will have 21 guys, battling for 18 spots through out the season. The left side is a little more complicated.

LB: Morrow
Sub: Morgan
LWB/LW: Aknola
Sub:?

Maybe Delgado over on that side as a LM?

portu
02-11-2018, 12:09 PM
I think this is how TFC sees the right side situation.

RB: Gregory Van Wiel
Sub: Hasler
RWB/RW: Auro
Sub: Kubel

They are still trying to sign a number 8. That will be the final final piece to the puzzle, and we will have 21 guys, battling for 18 spots through out the season. The left side is a little more complicated.

LB: Morrow
Sub: Morgan
LWB/LW: Aknola
Sub:?

Maybe Delgado over on that side as a LM?

I think they see Hasler as a more of utility guy as Larson said.

VDW is first choice regardless of RB/RWB/RM whatever but if they keep Kubel then he’s probably last man on the pitch at those positions. Auro fills in a RB situation and Hasler in a RM one imo

Initial B
02-11-2018, 12:33 PM
Just in case anyone is interested, Hasler played Striker/Center Forward in Liechtenstien's WC qualification game against Spain. I foresee all these different players as giving Vanney the flixibility to play different formations depending on the opponent. For instance, what would be TFC's best starting 11 in each of these formations:

4-4-2 flat?
4-4-2 diamond?
4-3-3?
5-4-1?
3-5-2?
4-2-3-1?
4-1-4-1?

Derko
02-11-2018, 12:40 PM
Amen. This tired and forced mantra against our local boys is getting old—sheesh!

I don't think it is aimed at our local boys, more so the inconsistency of our local boys, that being said, when our local boys play and train well they deserve the minutes. Sound logical to you, because it sure sounds logical to me.

Derko
02-11-2018, 12:43 PM
I'm not sure where the Hasler love is coming from. He filled in for Beitshour reasonably well...but it wasn't clear that he was a significant improvement. Others have been seeing him as central midfielder on what evidence ...I'm not sure. This season will be the real test of how important a player he is for us. I hope he does well - but the jury is still out IMO.

Yes the jury is still out for Hasler, Oso, Hamilton, Spencer, all of the fringe players, no?

Derko
02-11-2018, 12:45 PM
I name Oso and Hamilton in particular because they can become non existent on the field at times, IMHO
Again hoping they become more consistent and get more minutes on the field.

Defoe
02-11-2018, 01:37 PM

I get what your saying; who know's where Auro/ VDW are at right now. And in regards to Osorio; the final was the best game i've ever seen from him. But I don't evaluate stock based on 1 month. Like Derko said, Oso has tendency to go invisible for long stretch's. He's not really a talent built for where MLS is heading. 4-5 years ago he would be great. I'm happy to have him as a substitute and he's a good player that can come in and give Vasquez a break... but to think he should be starting on a team like Toronto FC in 2018 is a little out there. Delgado is better and if we can find a formation that get's Auro + Van der Weil minutes, they would be best to do this.

Ajax TFC
02-11-2018, 03:28 PM
VDW is first choice regardless of RB/RWB/RM whatever but if they keep Kubel then he’s probably last man on the pitch at those positions. Auro fills in a RB situation and Hasler in a RM one imo
I'll add that Morrow is as well. He doesn't get nearly the credit he deserves for his abilities in attack since he's not a flashy winger, but he's got 15 mls goals for TFC. And his output has been increasing every season. No other wide player in team history comes close to that offensive output. I don't think there's a more attacking fullback alternative to either Morrow or VdW.

OgtheDim
02-11-2018, 03:38 PM
Some of these moves are for 3-4 years from now when Father time comes to call on a few of our current pieces.

69Chevy396
02-11-2018, 04:31 PM
He demonstrated his quality when Beit. was injured. He was a CM in Europe. He is, in my opinion, better than Osorio or Delgado. (does anybody believe Osorio will consistently elevate his game to that crazy final display?...I couldn’t believe what I was watching).

JuliquE
02-11-2018, 04:55 PM
I don't think it is aimed at our local boys, more so the inconsistency of our local boys, that being said, when our local boys play and train well they deserve the minutes. Sound logical to you, because it sure sounds logical to me.
It's one thing for you to have an opinion on a player—it's another for said opinion to be made a footnote to nigh on every post.

That's the grievance, more so than the "logic" you spoke of.

Derko
02-11-2018, 05:54 PM
It's one thing for you to have an opinion on a player—it's another for said opinion to be made a footnote to nigh on every post.

That's the grievance, more so than the "logic" you spoke of.

Yes it does get a bit tiring

Stress
02-11-2018, 06:37 PM
Any chance they maybe see GVW playing the right sided central role instead of Zav and that's why they are also tying up Auro for a RWB option?

molenshtain
02-11-2018, 06:43 PM
Any chance they maybe see GVW playing the right sided central role instead of Zav and that's why they are also tying up Auro for a RWB option?

nah. Not at all. W'ere just super deep so a lot of guys will be battling for places.

reggie
02-11-2018, 06:47 PM
vanney did say that weils can play in the back 3 if they need him to.

Ajax TFC
02-11-2018, 07:00 PM
I'm sure he could play there if there were no other options at a particular point in time. But no, there's no chance they see him the same way as Mavinga as an option to convert to CB. He's been a RB literally his entire professional career and hasn't been a central defender since his academy days. Also during the press conference they mentioned that he could possibly play CB although it wouldn't be ideal. More likely they play him further up the field or midfield than CB if he's going to play out of position at all.

portu
02-11-2018, 08:23 PM
I'm sure he could play there if there were no other options at a particular point in time. But no, there's no chance they see him the same way as Mavinga as an option to convert to CB. He's been a RB literally his entire professional career and hasn't been a central defender since his academy days. Also during the press conference they mentioned that he could possibly play CB although it wouldn't be ideal. More likely they play him further up the field or midfield than CB if he's going to play out of position at all.
God it would have been nice to sign a right side CB this offseason, really worried that Drew Moor is gonna continue to decline.

I am really really really not a big fan of this off-season because I think we failed to upgrade where I think we should have but it's Bez so I'm trying not to criticize too much.

MightyDM
02-11-2018, 10:02 PM
God it would have been nice to sign a right side CB this offseason, really worried that Drew Moor is gonna continue to decline.

I am really really really not a big fan of this off-season because I think we failed to upgrade where I think we should have but it's Bez so I'm trying not to criticize too much.

i think we have to accept that the various moves Bez pulled last year essentially got us four DP’s and we have little room to manouevre this year. Repeating is hard in a cap league, and in that context we have done ok. But your instincts are likely right. The league has gotten better, but we haven’t. Still like our team though.

MightyDM
02-11-2018, 10:59 PM

i think we have to accept that the various moves Bez pulled last year essentially got us four DP’s and we have little room to manouevre this year. Repeating is hard in a cap league, and in that context we have done ok. But your instincts are likely right. The league has gotten better, but we haven’t. Still like our team though.

Ossington Mental Youth
02-11-2018, 11:29 PM
Not worried at all. We just won the leagues first triple, lost and replaced our Rb, can and likely will add high quality depth. The old TFC days are done

James17930
02-12-2018, 12:47 AM
I have full trust in both Zavs and Haggs at RCB. Especially with even better cover of Mavinga and vdW beside them.

Hamilton_Red
02-12-2018, 12:06 PM
He demonstrated his quality when Beit. was injured. He was a CM in Europe. He is, in my opinion, better than Osorio or Delgado. (does anybody believe Osorio will consistently elevate his game to that crazy final display?...I couldn’t believe what I was watching).

He hasn't demonstrated anything that would make you think he is better than Oso or Delgado. Osorio showing what level he can raise his game to sets the bar for him. Good coaching will get out of him more consistently.

ag futbol
02-12-2018, 12:16 PM
Not worried at all. We just won the leagues first triple, lost and replaced our Rb, can and likely will add high quality depth. The old TFC days are done
Agreed, not that concerned ever. Other teams have gotten better.... on paper.

Repeating won’t be a cake walk, but then again it never will be in this league. There’s no reason to panic.

starter
02-12-2018, 12:41 PM
He hasn't demonstrated anything that would make you think he is better than Oso or Delgado. Osorio showing what level he can raise his game to sets the bar for him. Good coaching will get out of him more consistently.

Hassler did score a couple of beauties, has a good work rate, and awareness. I for one, would like to see him try at CM.

19Barrett19
02-12-2018, 01:27 PM
Hasler is a very good player. He's so much better then Bieta not as good defensively but makes up for it in work rate. Not a liability. He is versatile and that is a great thing to have on any MLS team. Watching him last season I would have started him over Bieta and any game of the week, my personal option Bieta is way overrated. No skill at all and lucky most times than not. Bieta 5 hasler 7

backbeat
02-12-2018, 01:38 PM
Hasler is a very good player. He's so much better then Bieta not as good defensively but makes up for it in work rate. Not a liability. He is versatile and that is a great thing to have on any MLS team. Watching him last season I would have started him over Bieta and any game of the week, my personal option Bieta is way overrated. No skill at all and lucky most times than not. Bieta 5 hasler 7

really?? Bieta has 'no skill at all and lucky most times'??? Seriously? :facepalm:

19Barrett19
02-12-2018, 01:50 PM
Alex Bono has more skill. When you watch him play 1 v1 he will 98% of the time back pass. He will only take a player if he's got a step on him and he won't do that with a simple skill move my 12 year old and pull off but put the ball past the defence and chace it down. Hassler has beat more players one on one in his limited time than Bieta did at TFC from day one. I am glad he is gone that side needed improvement from the very beginning. The only time TFC looked really good down the right side is when Edwards and Hassler played those positions. Mind you I do think he is a solid defender just not creative enough in attack.
If Morrow can be the similar player he was last year and VdW upgrade we will be way more dangerous on all fronts this season. It will be night and day

19Barrett19
02-12-2018, 02:00 PM
Bieta has 2 career goals and played 216 matches Hasler played 12 for TFC and scored 3. Tell me who is more dangerous....? It's time we move on from Bieta love fest he is not good enough for this team! The bar is set a lot night throughout the entire squad. This team will and and should never settle for mediocrity we are the best team in MLS HISTORY and let's keep it that way:flare::scarf:

nonc
02-12-2018, 02:09 PM
Hasler started 7 games, 5W 2D 0L

19Barrett19
02-12-2018, 02:14 PM
Hasler started 7 games, 5W 2D 0L
7 of them he came off the bench

TheGoodson
02-12-2018, 02:16 PM
What you fail to realize is Beitashour provided balance when Morrow was attacking, he has always played defense first... Also, getting goals from any defensive player is a bonus not the best stat to use. BTW Edwards was terrible on the right and boarder line terrible defensively on either side

Beitashour did set up Cheryou's goal in the semis against Montreal. Beitashour is more of a true RB versus a RWB.

He will go down in history as he started for the first team ever to win the treble. IS VdW more talented yes, but the question is how will he adapt to the MLS and more importantly how Vanney sets up the tactics as with Beitahour you knew game in game out what you were going to get. A solid dependable defender who occasionally whip in a fantastic cross.

portu
02-12-2018, 02:17 PM
I have to agree that I prefer Hasler to Beitashour. Though it's obvious that Beita is a much better defender than Hasler I can't think of a single time I've seen him caught out for it. When we're playing formations where your fullbacks aren't traditional in that they are expected to play almost as wingers and fullbacks at the same time it's important that they have the ability to penetrate and pose a goal threat, which Beitashour never did. In Hasler's first game he was constantly angling to put himself in a position to shoot.

Definitely not mourning the loss of Beita.

nonc
02-12-2018, 02:44 PM
7 of them he came off the bench

Just double checked, started 10 games actually! Only entered twice from the bench.

19Barrett19
02-12-2018, 03:15 PM
Just double checked, started 10 games actually! Only entered twice from the bench.

Bieta served his purpose and will be remembered as a good soldier for this club. Right now this team is probably better on the right side without him .... can't wait for kick off!

OgtheDim
02-12-2018, 03:27 PM
Most teams would be happy with ANY of these guys as their RB/RWB.

ag futbol
02-12-2018, 04:02 PM
He will go down in history as he started for the first team ever to win the treble. IS VdW more talented yes, but the question is how will he adapt to the MLS and more importantly how Vanney sets up the tactics as with Beitahour you knew game in game out what you were going to get. A solid dependable defender who occasionally whip in a fantastic cross.
Or in 2017 terms: how will the team replace Will Johnson? Needless to say I think this is a manageable problem to have, if it even is one.

TFC07
02-12-2018, 04:05 PM
These signings are great and all, but TFC still lack of starting quality CM.

This is something that needs to be address especially if TFC wants to make a run in CCL.

OgtheDim
02-12-2018, 04:35 PM
These signings are great and all, but TFC still lack of starting quality CM.

This is something that needs to be address especially if TFC wants to make a run in CCL.

Hmmm...

Bradley
Delgado
Osorio
Vasquez
Chapman
Fraser
Hasler

TFC07
02-12-2018, 04:55 PM
Hmmm...

Bradley
Delgado
Osorio
Vasquez
Chapman
Fraser
Hasler

Osorio is too inconsistent while Delgado is decent but with TAM TFC can get someone better. Outside of Bradley and Vasquez, rest of TFC midfield is either too inconsistent or inexperience.

portu
02-12-2018, 05:06 PM
Hmmm...

Bradley
Delgado
Osorio
Vasquez
Chapman
Fraser
Hasler
Tigres:
Vargas
Carioca
Duenas
Zelarayan
Vasquez
Torres

Sorry but we aren't up to scratch with the best in CONCACAF

portu
02-12-2018, 05:07 PM
Osorio is too inconsistent while Delgado is decent but with TAM TFC can get someone better. Outside of Bradley and Vasquez, rest of TFC midfield is either too inconsistent or inexperience.
This

molenshtain
02-12-2018, 05:08 PM
Tigres:
Vargas
Carioca
Duenas
Zelarayan
Vasquez
Torres

Sorry but we aren't up to scratch with the best in CONCACAF

our starting 11 is certainly up to scratch with the best in the continent.

portu
02-12-2018, 05:09 PM
our starting 11 is certainly up to scratch with the best in the continent.
Bruh come on. Have you seen this Tigres side its basically 12-15 DP quality players.

I'll be happy for a decent quarterfinal showing no shame in going out to Tigres

molenshtain
02-12-2018, 05:13 PM
Bruh come on. Have you seen this Tigres side its basically 12-15 DP quality players.

I'll be happy for a decent quarterfinal showing no shame in going out to Tigres

I'm very confident our starting 11 would hold up just fine should we meet Tigres. The problem would be if we aren't able to field our best 11 due to suspension or injury or whatever.

portu
02-12-2018, 05:38 PM
I'm very confident our starting 11 would hold up just fine should we meet Tigres. The problem would be if we aren't able to field our best 11 due to suspension or injury or whatever.
That's part of the issue as well though. Tigres gets an injury to anyone and they're still Gucci us on the other hand not so much.

This is getting off topic, but at the end of the day actions speak louder than words and when we get knocked out to Tigres in the quarters it'll become physically evident (though I'll be more than happy to be proven wrong).

OgtheDim
02-12-2018, 07:03 PM
TFC vs. Tigres in the quarters is like Barca playing Bayern in the quarters - it happens and the loser is in no way the 5th through 8th best team on the continent.

RedsYNWA
02-12-2018, 07:05 PM
I have to agree with Portu... Tigres are the class of Concacaf half of our starters would not start for Tigres

Ossington Mental Youth
02-12-2018, 08:08 PM
Tigres are ok, not doing so well atm, that being said they're heads and tails above MLS

Defoe
02-12-2018, 08:58 PM
Tigres are ok, not doing so well atm, that being said they're heads and tails above MLS

Yet Giovinco, Altidore, Bradley, Vazquez and maybe Van Der Weil and Auro (depending on there form) are at the same level of there top 11.

Giovinco is one of the best free kick specialists on the planet and it's something they can't match. We will really need Morrow, Mavinga, Moor and Delgado to hold there own though.

Initial B
02-12-2018, 08:59 PM
I honestly don't know anymore. Are we selling the team short? I think TFC has a chance against Tigres, but I don't know how much of a chance.

According to FiveThirtyEight, Tigres has an SPI of 52.3, an offensive rating of 1.4 and a defensinve rating of 1.1. TFC's numbers are 47.5, 1.4, 1.4. NYRB managed to beat TFC at BMO field and their numbers were 42.1, 1.3, 1.4, so I think it's in the realm of possibility that TFC could advance.

ensco
02-12-2018, 09:06 PM
If we get there.... That game here at BMO vs a Mexican team, that is a big, big advantage. Most of the USMNT wins over Mexico have come in cold weather games. We are used to big games in the cold.

I remember watching Montreal put Pachuca out three or four years ago, and being amazed. The Impact had no business even being on the field with those guys.

So anything is possible,

Shway
02-12-2018, 09:32 PM
If we get there.... That game here at BMO vs a Mexican team, that is a big, big advantage. Most of the USMNT wins over Mexico have come in cold weather games. We are used to big games in the cold.

I remember watching Montreal put Pachuca out three or four years ago, and being amazed. The Impact had no business even being on the field with those guys.

So anything is possible,

Well said. Nuff said.
We got the beast, and Automatic FK specialist...

I ain't worried about Tigres.

portu
02-13-2018, 03:47 AM
Yet Giovinco, Altidore, Bradley, Vazquez and maybe Van Der Weil and Auro (depending on there form) are at the same level of there top 11.

Giovinco is one of the best free kick specialists on the planet and it's something they can't match. We will really need Morrow, Mavinga, Moor and Delgado to hold there own though.
Why is everyone assuming Auro is quality? The guy hasn’t played in 2 years

ag futbol
02-13-2018, 04:02 AM
Why is everyone assuming Auro is quality? The guy hasn’t played in 2 years
Not true, he played 16 games last spring for Athletico Mineiro before returning to SPFC to deal with a knee injury it sounds like.

Agreed he’s of a unknown quality at this point. Just funny that even the local press seems a tad too lazy to track down such an easy detail or ask the club for clarification and instead quotes soccerway 🤦

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/globoesporte.globo.com/google/amp/https://globoesporte.globo.com/futebol/times/sao-paulo/noticia/sao-paulo-encaminha-emprestimo-de-lateral-auro-com-clube-do-canada.ghtml

portu
02-13-2018, 05:45 AM
Not true, he played 16 games last spring for Athletico Mineiro before returning to SPFC to deal with a knee injury it sounds like.

Agreed he’s of a unknown quality at this point. Just funny that even the local press seems a tad too lazy to track down such an easy detail or ask the club for clarification and instead quotes soccerway 臘

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/globoesporte.globo.com/google/amp/https://globoesporte.globo.com/futebol/times/sao-paulo/noticia/sao-paulo-encaminha-emprestimo-de-lateral-auro-com-clube-do-canada.ghtml

Stand corrected, journos have been poor for the last year ngl

Derko
02-13-2018, 07:16 AM

Well I also like Hasler and think he is an asset, you go too far saying Bieta has no skill at all, that is just a ludicrous statement, Definition of ludicrous for those whom don't know:
so foolish, unreasonable, or out of place as to be amusing; ridiculous,

OgtheDim
02-13-2018, 07:26 AM
Larson interview with Vanney published today indicates Hasler being moved inside.

James17930
02-13-2018, 09:18 AM
Larson interview with Vanney published today indicates Hasler being moved inside.

Yes, and it says it's his 'preferred position.' So does that mean Hasler would start in front of Oso/Delgado? Or back one of them up? or they rotate starts?

woolly
02-13-2018, 09:29 AM
Yes, and it says it's his 'preferred position.' So does that mean Hasler would start in front of Oso/Delgado? Or back one of them up? or they rotate starts?

Time will Tell, Delgado and Oso both had mixed reviews last year with both turning in some superb and some invisible performances.

My guess is that we'll see a rotation until someone steps up and produces on a consistent basis.

djking2
02-13-2018, 10:17 AM

this guys on a contract with a first division team in Uruguay currently loaned out to a second division club in Arg.

At 23 he doesn't seem to fit the profile for TFCII

Areathrasher
02-13-2018, 10:25 AM
this guys on a contract with a first division team in Uruguay currently loaned out to a second division club in Arg.

At 23 he doesn't seem to fit the profile for TFCII

Eh? He's not loaned anywhere. He played for Boca Unidos in the Argie 2nd Div in 16/17 and has been signed permanently in Uruguay since Sept.

According to the Sud America twitter account that broke the rumor, he still has 6 months left on his deal with Sud America.

sn0re
02-13-2018, 10:26 AM
Nothing to do with footy, but we signed Phil Balke as TFC's/MLSE's first esport guy for Fifa 18. Hoping that the org will be considering going into OWL, LCS, CSGO or HGC in the near future.

http://nationalpost.com/pmn/sports-pmn/basketball-sports-pmn/pro-gamer-hopes-to-add-to-toronto-fc-trophy-case-with-esports-glory

djking2
02-13-2018, 11:27 AM
According to the Sud America twitter account that broke the rumor, he still has 6 months left on his deal with Sud America.

even less chance he's a TFCII project then.

rydermike
02-13-2018, 12:04 PM
Tfc officially announced Auro on Instagram

OgtheDim
02-13-2018, 12:30 PM
The article on this from Molinaro (http://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/auro-tfc-toronto-fc-sao-paulo-brazil-mls-major-league-soccer-greg-vanney-nicolas-hasler/) indicates Hasler is to be used to backup Bradley. Also Vanney says Hasler was only being used as a RWB sub because they had no other cover.

CBTFC
02-13-2018, 01:26 PM
Said it before and I'll say it again...competition for any and all positions can only be a good thing.

Ossington Mental Youth
02-13-2018, 03:28 PM
"I liked him. He was a promising right back with great attacking skills. He had a hard time defending. I remember the match when his career started to go down. It was a draw against flamengo in 2014 which he gave lots of space so Muricy sacked him and he never played well again" an acquaintance who is a Sao Paulo supporter on Auro

Yohan
02-13-2018, 04:02 PM
Hasler is the 'new' Cooper, the jack of all trades utility player. That's fine.

Maybe another signing at TAM level now or till season starts, but I think Bez might hold out for summer transfer window to see who's available, and more importantly, how well TFC does first half of the season.

Red CB Toronto
02-13-2018, 04:28 PM
Hasler is the 'new' Cooper, the jack of all trades utility player. That's fine.

Maybe another signing at TAM level now or till season starts, but I think Bez might hold out for summer transfer window to see who's available, and more importantly, how well TFC does first half of the season.

At this point I would assume July makes more sense unless someone really jumps out. No need to rush into anything. Now I do expect a few signings for the back end of the roster, Endoh, Kubel, a player or two graduating from TFC2 likely.

reggie
02-13-2018, 04:43 PM
i really doubt they will sign kubel the 3rd string rb and endoh probs the 5th ranked mid because they count has imports.i can see them signing okello to a bottom of the roster contract,they sure played him a lot in camp.i still think they will sign a offence type tam player in the next 2 wks.

Hamilton_Red
02-13-2018, 05:46 PM
Bieta has 2 career goals and played 216 matches Hasler played 12 for TFC and scored 3. Tell me who is more dangerous....? It's time we move on from Bieta love fest he is not good enough for this team! The bar is set a lot night throughout the entire squad. This team will and and should never settle for mediocrity we are the best team in MLS HISTORY and let's keep it that way:flare::scarf:

First of all Beita was part of the best team in MLS history. His work rate made up for anything he was missing in the way of technical skill. You said Beita was a better defender than Hasler...for a Right Back that is job # 1. good forward skills are a bonus. You don’t take a weaker defender in that position. My earlier comments are not to run Hasler down - I hope he does very well. He had a promising intro TFC and showed some positive signs. For me he isn’t a sure bet to be a starter for us. We’ll find out this year.

Defoe
02-13-2018, 07:34 PM
There's not enough hype for Auro. This is a huge signing at a great price. Only 22 and he's probably one of our best players already. This kid was playing in Brazilian Seria A as a teenager.

Our right side was not weak last year, but it was our weakest part of the team. Now it's our strength. I look forward to Auro on the wing/rb. Expect him to see a lot on the wing.

Btw I don't think Hasler or Osorio will be starting. Priority minutes will go to Auro and Delgado until one of them play's them self out of the first team in my opinion (assuming both are healthy and fit)

19Barrett19
02-13-2018, 08:34 PM
Well I also like Hasler and think he is an asset, you go too far saying Bieta has no skill at all, that is just a ludicrous statement, Definition of ludicrous for those whom don't know:
so foolish, unreasonable, or out of place as to be amusing; ridiculous,

http://www.futhead.com/18/players/18853/steven-beitashour/

:picard: Bieta has no skill please find me a clip that he pulls it off. Even EA who is retarded when it comes to judging players attributes recognised this. Probably because he played in Vancouver. He is not even half the player Morrow is and is completely overrated. He played on a great team who was exciting to watch all year. When he had the ball I was watching MLS 1.0. He's horrible and I'm glad he is gone. Let's all find out at the end of the season when LA is probably going to cut him loose. 100k salary player at best. Here is is EA card I know it don't prove my point but what the heck.
On a side note everyone I ever took to a game or watched with on TV said he was the worst player on the pitch for TFC I guess we are all crazy and ludicrous. :cheers:

MightyDM
02-13-2018, 09:24 PM

Hasker performed very well for us. On the other hand, Delgado and Beitashour were starters on the best team in MLS history, and Osorio a starter in the playoffs and the best player on the pitch for 60 minutes of the final. Why we feel the need to knock down the skill of these players baffles me, particularly after seeing almost every game in the clubs existence. Of all the midfielders we have had, who would you pick over Delgado and Osorio? Possibly Carl Robinson for a defensive role and Guevara for an offensive one, but that’s about it.

We won the League and the cup, and looked very good doing both. The players that were on the pitch by definition were good. In fact better than good.

Yet some on this board are putting players we have never seen play ahead of proven winners. I don’t get it. They may be good, but I’m with the ones that got us here until proven otherwise. And it will take some proof.

Derko
02-13-2018, 09:29 PM
:drinking:

:picard: Bieta has no skill please find me a clip that he pulls it off. Even EA who is retarded when it comes to judging players attributes recognised this. Probably because he played in Vancouver. He is not even half the player Morrow is and is completely overrated. He played on a great team who was exciting to watch all year. When he had the ball I was watching MLS 1.0. He's horrible and I'm glad he is gone. Let's all find out at the end of the season when LA is probably going to cut him loose. 100k salary player at best. Here is is EA card I know it don't prove my point but what the heck.
On a side note everyone I ever took to a game or watched with on TV said he was the worst player on the pitch for TFC I guess we are all crazy and ludicrous. :cheers:

molenshtain
02-13-2018, 09:31 PM
Hasker performed very well for us. On the other hand, Delgado and Beitashour were starters on the best team in MLS history, and Osorio a starter in the playoffs and the best player on the pitch for 60 minutes of the final. Why we feel the need to knock down the skill of these players baffles me, particularly after seeing almost every game in the clubs existence. Of all the midfielders we have had, who would you pick over Delgado and Osorio? Possibly Carl Robinson for a defensive role and Guevara for an offensive one, but that’s about it.

We won the League and the cup, and looked very good doing both. The players that were on the pitch by definition were good. In fact better than good.

Yet some on this board are putting players we have never seen play ahead of proven winners. I don’t get it. They may be good, but I’m with the ones that got us here until proven otherwise. And it will take some proof.

This, more or less. Might include a couple other (thinking Edu, Cronin, Frings OTTMH) but even then I'm stretching. All these guys have been and continue to be incredible assets who can play multiple roles and help us win everything. I can't imagine being a person who was at the 5-2 Philly game or the 3-0 New England game or any game during the "worst team ever" stretch and find room to openly criticize the talent or effort these guys put in.

RedsMan
02-13-2018, 10:08 PM

Is there even a small possibility that people like Vanney and Papa Bradley might be better at evaluating soccer players than you are?

Yohan
02-13-2018, 10:29 PM

Are you seriously using a video game to make your point?

Oh yeah. He's got no skill. lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oBJM4p5uZVY

https://youtu.be/_fQZgJpD8fY?t=2m26s

portu
02-13-2018, 10:43 PM
Are you seriously using a video game to make your point?

Oh yeah. He's got no skill. lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oBJM4p5uZVY

https://youtu.be/_fQZgJpD8fY?t=2m26s
Just to be fair Should I also link the 2016 Final highlights where Beitashour tragically miffs a clearance in the box that Roman Torres luckily missed on

ensco
02-13-2018, 11:24 PM
I HATE THIS PART OF SPORTS.

Steven Beitashour is an effing giant among men. I understand why he's gone but I won’t accept bullshit “he's got no skill” type criticism.

The core 2016-2017 TFC, of which he is a charter member, are heroes.

They walk together forever.

molenshtain
02-13-2018, 11:38 PM
^^^^ best way to book-end this argument I think.

MightyDM
02-13-2018, 11:55 PM
I HATE THIS PART OF SPORTS.

Steven Beitashour is an effing giant among men. I understand why he's gone but I won’t accept bullshit “he's got no skill” type criticism.

The core 2016-2017 TFC, of which he is a charter member, are heroes.

They walk together forever.

Beitashour almost died for TFC. How quickly they forget. I'm never going to accept that he was anything less than fantastic for us. Starting right back on the best team in history. Always.

Shway
02-14-2018, 12:16 AM
I get both postive and negative sentiments towards Beita... Yes he was a hero for what he brought to the city, and team. It's just politically wrong to say he has no skill, he obviously does... You just have to be specific in saying he has no offensive skills for the modern day fullbacks... And then you compare him to Morrow abilities.

James17930
02-14-2018, 01:51 AM
Okay, let's let this argument die and get the thread back on track.

Captain
02-14-2018, 06:50 AM
Can anyone tell me what the final scores to all the pre-season games in Mexico were?
Also, is there a link available to watch any of these games?

GabrielHurl
02-14-2018, 08:11 AM
https://twitter.com/FireConf/status/963756173957763073

http://athletic.elcorreo.com/aketxe-llega-acuerdo-20180214130024-nt.html

Ager Aketxe from Athletico Bilbao - Bez has been in Spain for 2 days according to the report

GabrielHurl
02-14-2018, 08:18 AM
Here's the full story through Google Translate

Ager Aketxe (Romo, Getxo, turned 24 in December) has the hours counted in Athletic . A campaign with hardly participation and being outside the list of the Europe League for the party of Moscow have precipitated the events. The rojiblanco has closed an agreement with the Canadian Toronto, equipment of the MLS of the United States. If the operation closes, it will be incorporated immediately because the competition starts on March 3.

The sources consulted indicate that the agreement with the soccer player is sealed and that it will be extended for two years, perhaps with an optional one. The signing is only at the expense of the Canadians closing the conditions of the playoff option that Athletic requires to let out a player who ends contract in June and who was clear that he wanted to go.

The director general of Toronto FC, Tim Bezbatchenko, landed two days ago in Bilbao , where he held several meetings at the Domine hotel with the agent, Egoitz Basurto, and the player's lawyer, Koldo Bolibar.

Aketxe was willing to leave. It is with Kike Sola the player who has participated the least, with the exception of Yeray, who has just returned. He has played twelve games, but only three as a starter. It was clear that I was not going to renew. By staying out of the list in Moscow has convinced him that his situation was not going to change. He wanted to play now and that is why he has given the go-ahead to the operation.

The signing is the request of coach Greg Vanney . The sources consulted refer to a contract of great importance and that will be one of the most important in the competition. The MSL has already given its approval to the economic conditions.

Powerful squad of the MSL

The Toronto is one of the powerful squads of the MSL. He debuted in the 2007 season and became the first Canadian team. He won the title last season and now plays the CONCACAF Champions League . Its objective is to raise it to the next World Club Championship.

Their owners are the same as those of the NBA team of the Canadian city. The MSL has changed its transfer strategy. From being an 'elephant graveyard' has gone to look for Europe young talents. In the Toronto Aketxe he will share a dressing room with Bradley, captain of the United States; Altidore, an American who played at Villarreal; and the Italian Giovinco, who was six seasons in Juventus.

molenshtain
02-14-2018, 08:20 AM
https://twitter.com/FireConf/status/963756173957763073

http://athletic.elcorreo.com/aketxe-llega-acuerdo-20180214130024-nt.html

Ager Aketxe from Athletico Bilbao - Bez has been in Spain for 2 days according to the report

Was just about to post this. My spanish is rusty to say the least, and basque is fucking impossible, but the jist i get is that his his contract is about to run out and we're taking him on a loan until at least the summer. He's become surplus to requirements in Bilbao and thus has looked abroad for opportunities. Bez and possibly vanney have reportedly spoken to his agent and his manager at a specifc hotel in regards to the deal.

Allegedly. who knows.

RealG-TFC
02-14-2018, 08:37 AM
Marca seems to be reporting it too.

http://www.marca.com/futbol/athletic/2018/02/14/5a83f6b4268e3eb2498b45d1.html

portu
02-14-2018, 08:41 AM
Marca seems to be reporting it too.

http://www.marca.com/futbol/athletic/2018/02/14/5a83f6b4268e3eb2498b45d1.html
God I love this signing

Areathrasher
02-14-2018, 08:46 AM
Bilbao want a buyback clause to let him leave for free now according to this

http://fiebrerojiblanca.com/el-athletic-negocia-con-aketxe-su-pase-a-toronto/

Detroit_TFC
02-14-2018, 08:48 AM
This is quite interesting. I didn't expect this many new players coming in.

TFC1154ever
02-14-2018, 08:49 AM
Wasn’t expecting him to be so young. His CV looks like he was a very good second division player, but between a serious injury, not playing well, and not getting a lot of playing time, didn’t really do well for a good la Liga side. What’s interesting is that he’s a AM. But 2 years ago, split his time as a LW/LM. Very very interesting signing if true.

RealG-TFC
02-14-2018, 08:53 AM
A few comments in the Marca article are expressing their discontent with this as many view him as a good player and many comments are implying that the Bilbao manager is stubbornly not giving him a chance or letting him go too easily. I'll take it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YK2yJn7UD0Y

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HyM034gu2pw

GabrielHurl
02-14-2018, 08:57 AM
https://media.giphy.com/media/1luVr6xsB7JJwmavlo/giphy.gif

Areathrasher
02-14-2018, 09:00 AM
https://twitter.com/joshuakloke/status/963769237276782593

Kloke confirms the discussions

DinamoTFC
02-14-2018, 09:00 AM
This offseason has suddenly got juicy :scarf:

Areathrasher
02-14-2018, 09:04 AM
Gotta say, this looks like an absolutely cracking signing. Akin to getting Vazquez before he went to Brugge.

Aketxe was in Spain's 2013 U20 WC squad.

portu
02-14-2018, 09:22 AM
So a 4-4-2 might be really really interesting

Bono; Morrow, Mavinga, Moor, van der Wiel; Aketxe, Bradley, Vazquez, Auro/Hasler; Giovinco, Altidore

Ooooooof

19Barrett19
02-14-2018, 09:29 AM
The awesome thing about this signing if it happens is that he looks deadly at free kicks but is left footed. TFC would be unstoppable from all angles on the pitch. On another note he looks like he is a distance shooter and that is something TFC needs as well because seba is the only other player on the squad who is capable of trying to score from distance. Thus would make us really deep all thought the roster and more deadly going forward. Looks like a great move if true. Make it happen !

19Barrett19
02-14-2018, 09:31 AM
So a 4-4-2 might be really really interesting

Bono; Morrow, Mavinga, Moor, van der Wiel; Aketxe, Bradley, Vazquez, Auro/Hasler; Giovinco, Altidore

Ooooooof

This

Love it

deltox
02-14-2018, 09:41 AM
This

Love it

and damn this kid is young too.

so at this point....is goalie our weakest position??????

Areathrasher
02-14-2018, 09:42 AM
https://twitter.com/samstejskal/status/963784731379879936

19Barrett19
02-14-2018, 09:46 AM
If bez makes this move happen and still is able to sign the conti might as well give us MLS cup again

Areathrasher
02-14-2018, 09:48 AM
If bez makes this move happen and still is able to sign the conti might as well give us MLS cup again

Conti isn't happening. Colon want a multi million $ fee for him.

TFC/Everton
02-14-2018, 10:07 AM
https://twitter.com/samstejskal/status/963784731379879936

Auro is on loan and likely won't command a high TAM charge, at least in his first year. Meaning we still have lots of TAM. I wouldn't be shocked if TFC added a few more!

Exciting times!

OgtheDim
02-14-2018, 10:32 AM
Wait...we are getting another AM who will have the fourth highest salary in the team?

How does this guy fit into the current lineup?

https://twitter.com/JogaBonito_USA/status/963767862396620802

molenshtain
02-14-2018, 10:34 AM
That's also my biggest question. I don't see how this fits.

TFC/Everton
02-14-2018, 10:35 AM
Wait...we are getting another AM who will have the fourth highest salary in the team?

How does this guy fit into the current lineup?

He's left footed. I suspect he will play on the left side of the midfield, pushing Oso to the bench.

notthesun
02-14-2018, 10:37 AM
He's left-footed and has 15 appearances on the left side (vs. 62 down the middle) according to transfrmarkt. Maybe he plays LM in a 4-4-2?

I trust we have a plan here regardless... this is pretty exciting.

TFC07
02-14-2018, 10:38 AM
Toronto FC sign goalkeeper Caleb Patterson-Sewell

Source: https://www.torontofc.ca/post/2018/02/14/toronto-fc-sign-goalkeeper-caleb-patterson-sewell

OgtheDim
02-14-2018, 10:39 AM
If Aketxe happens, we are coming dangerously close to winning the offseason. I'm shocked.

Oldtimer
02-14-2018, 10:54 AM
If Aketxe happens, we are coming dangerously close to winning the offseason. I'm shocked.

Injury issues but otherwise a really good potential pick up. I gotta hand it to Bez, he knows how to use the league's arcane system to pick up good players.

deltox
02-14-2018, 10:57 AM
Injury issues but otherwise a really good potential pick up. I gotta hand it to Bez, he knows how to use the league's arcane system to pick up good players.

didn't he help build it?

portu
02-14-2018, 11:00 AM

Source: https://www.torontofc.ca/post/2018/02/14/toronto-fc-sign-goalkeeper-caleb-patterson-sewell
That's an incredibly decent resume for a third choice keeper

notthesun
02-14-2018, 11:05 AM
That's an incredibly decent resume for a third choice keeper

Unless we're trading Irwin for more GAM to free up budget space for these TAM signings? Just musing...

19Barrett19
02-14-2018, 11:11 AM
Unless we're trading Irwin for more GAM to free up budget space for these TAM signings? Just musing...

My initial thought as well. What is Irwins salary anyway? If it close to 200k its too much for a back up.

ensco
02-14-2018, 11:54 AM
These moves.... Somebody (maybe more than one guy) may be on the way out.

Could be painful.

ag futbol
02-14-2018, 12:00 PM

Could be painful.
Let’s hope not. The issue is MLS salary regulations are so opaque we’re all left guessing.

At least all the red flags (which TFC seem comfortable with) are keeping the prices down.

rydermike
02-14-2018, 12:06 PM

He's been in camp for a few weeks. Was in the NASL, but with the season change with them, figured he was probably going to sign with us

ag futbol
02-14-2018, 12:53 PM
Supposedly we’ve come to terms with Ager, according to Juan Arango on Twitter.

Juan G. Arango
Juan G. Arango
@JuanG_Arango
Two years with an option for a third. All that is left is to have both sides come to terms on fees.

Initial B
02-14-2018, 01:12 PM
I'm feeling like I'm on morphine with all these signings, but how is TFC able to afford them all?

I wonder if Bez is burning next year's TAM as well as this year's just to give us the best chance to make it to the Club World Cup. I get the feeling this is an all or nothing strategy. Still, no matter what happens or how this turns out, I think Bez has earned some failures if they happen. In Bez I trust.

deltox
02-14-2018, 01:33 PM
I'm feeling like I'm on morphine with all these signings, but how is TFC able to afford them all?

I wonder if Bez is burning next year's TAM as well as this year's just to give us the best chance to make it to the Club World Cup. I get the feeling this is an all or nothing strategy. Still, no matter what happens or how this turns out, I think Bez has earned some failures if they happen. In Bez I trust.

100%

also....club world cup....can you imagine! (just 8 games away)

MightyDM
02-14-2018, 01:42 PM

Could be painful.

good point. Irwin, for almost certain. And Delgado would have a lot of value for a US team. Vanney doesn’t have confidence in Hamilton so it’s not Jozy, and Seba is here for another year for sure. Vazquez and Bradley inconceivable, Morrow unlikely.

In this context, I am worried for Chapman’s development. We have seen Delgado and Osorio improve immensely and then get minutes. Where does Chapman get his if he shows similar improvement.

Areathrasher
02-14-2018, 01:43 PM
Supposedly we’ve come to terms with Ager, according to Juan Arango on Twitter.

Juan G. Arango
Juan G. Arango
@JuanG_Arango
Two years with an option for a third. All that is left is to have both sides come to terms on fees.

That info was in all of the articles posted this morning. Nothing new there.

Oldtimer
02-14-2018, 01:55 PM
didn't he help build it?

Bez administered it, but the rules were designed by a committee (and it shows).

JoesphNdo
02-14-2018, 01:56 PM

Could be painful.

don't forget the boat load of TAM they added this season. TFC can certainly easily afford these signings without letting anyone go and be within the cap, the issue would be with players who think they're too good for the bench who may demand transfers

Cas87
02-14-2018, 01:59 PM
I have a feeling that most of these moves are designed specifically for the ability to have 2 maybe 3 different formations to send out in all competitions.

Between the second CCL leg on the 27th and the Home Opener on March 3rd we may see 2 different starting 11s.

MightyDM
02-14-2018, 02:01 PM

Could be painful.

good point. Irwin, for almost certain. And Delgado would have a lot of value for a US team. Vanney doesn’t have confidence in Hamilton so it’s not Jozy, and Seba is here for another year for sure. Vazquez and Bradley inconceivable, Morrow unlikely.

In this context, I am worried for Chapman’s development. We have seen Delgado and Osorio improve immensely and then get minutes. Where does Chapman get his if he shows similar improvement.

deltox
02-14-2018, 02:02 PM
I have a feeling that most of these moves are designed specifically for the ability to have 2 maybe 3 different formations to send out in all competitions.

Between the second CCL leg on the 27th and the Home Opener on March 3rd we may see 2 different starting 11s.

obviously champs league is the most important. stack those games!

Globetrotter
02-14-2018, 02:11 PM
It's not up to us to worry about if and how we can afford it, nor to correct any mistakes they make. They wont make mistakes. We dont need to worry about the numbers.

They're building another smokin hot team for us, and this year could be even more entertaining for us as fans. This is what we should care about and be excited about. Gotta feel proud about the dedication and commitment MLSE and us as supporters have invested in the team, city, and soccer in the country.

Very much looking forward to 2018.

Atlanta who?

Captain
02-14-2018, 02:41 PM
I really don't think we have anything to worry about with running out of TAM. Last year Vasquez and Cooper were the only players we used TAM on.

We only used roughly $600K of TAM on Vasquez (Salary of roughly $750K bought down to $150K by using $600K of TAM). We can afford to pay a couple of players around $1.2 million and another three players around $750K - all being bought down to $150K with TAM. This is very doable for our $4.0 million of TAM and we would get five players at TAM level.

Our bigger issue is international spots. We had three left which likely just got used on VdW, Auro and Aketxe. I can't see us signing Endoh now. Does Sewell take up an international spot?

Areathrasher
02-14-2018, 02:48 PM
. Does Sewell take up an international spot?

Nope. Born in the states.

molenshtain
02-14-2018, 02:50 PM
Five players on TAM and three DP's seems inconceivable. We've also traded away TAM both the last two seasons. Then You add in Bono, Osorio, Delgado, Morrow, Zavaleta, Hagglund, Hasler, Ricketts are all on somewhere between 200-250k. Some may be even higher. I just don't see it. Atlanta seems tame and understandable compared to us from a cap comparison at this point.

Red CB Toronto
02-14-2018, 02:52 PM
I really don't think we have anything to worry about with running out of TAM. Last year Vasquez and Cooper were the only players we used TAM on.

We only used roughly $600K of TAM on Vasquez (Salary of roughly $750K bought down to $150K by using $600K of TAM). We can afford to pay a couple of players around $1.2 million and another three players around $750K - all being bought down to $150K with TAM. This is very doable for our $4.0 million of TAM and we would get five players at TAM level.

Our bigger issue is international spots. We had three left which likely just got used on VdW, Auro and Aketxe. I can't see us signing Endoh now. Does Sewell take up an international spot?

If the Aketxe signing becomes official the Reds will have one international spot left. With the Auro signing 6 of 8 spots are in use. They being Seba, VV, Hasler, Mavinga, Auro and van der Wiel. Unless Bez has something close to happening, either Kubel or Endoh could be signed to an off-budget spot. Either those two could be released at any point if an opportunity did come along to add someone.

Areathrasher
02-14-2018, 02:58 PM
Five players on TAM and three DP's seems inconceivable. We've also traded away TAM both the last two seasons. Then You add in Bono, Osorio, Delgado, Morrow, Zavaleta, Hagglund, Hasler, Ricketts are all on somewhere between 200-250k. Some may be even higher. I just don't see it. Atlanta seems tame and understandable compared to us from a cap comparison at this point.

Portland have 3 DPs (Valeri, Blanco, Adi) and 4 (Polo, Pardares, Cascante, Armenteros) TAM players with room for one more according to a Meriit Paulson tweet.

Red CB Toronto
02-14-2018, 03:00 PM
Portland have 3 DPs (Valeri, Blanco, Adi) and 4 (Polo, Pardares, Cascante, Armenteros) TAM players with room for one more according to a Meriit Paulson tweet.

But don't you have to have $150K of cap space for each TAM signing. I guess you could use GAM to buy guys down to open up come cap space.

Areathrasher
02-14-2018, 03:07 PM
But don't you have to have $150K of cap space for each TAM signing. I guess you could use GAM to buy guys down to open up come cap space.

They got extra GAM in the Nagbe trade. Not as much TFC did with DC though.

I 100% think Bez has more wiggle room in the salary budget than he was previously letting on. Even when you do factor in raises and bonuses.

Ajax TFC
02-14-2018, 03:12 PM
Bono and Hasler are both under 100k. Zavalaeta is just over 100k. Even if Hasler's reported salary is just a half season, that's still only 160k for a full season. Hagglund is also 100k. Even if Bono gets a raise, he's not going to be touching 200k. Cooper Beitashour gone frees up 450k. Plus we got another 225k general allocation on that earlier trade. So nearly 700k in cap space freed up.

Red CB Toronto
02-14-2018, 03:15 PM
Will be interesting to see if Clint is kept around or does Bez move him to open up cap space. I always expected the third GK to be on a USL deal with TFC2. I mean last year Mark Pais would have never been signed to a first team contract if Clint had not gotten hurt.

Captain
02-14-2018, 03:20 PM

Bono is GA. Osorio, Morrow, Zavaleta, Hagglund, Hasler & Rickets may have been bought down with GAM but none of them were TAM players last year.

(Is Bono still GA?)

djking2
02-14-2018, 03:25 PM
Don't forget teams that qualify for CCL play also get additional allocation which I like to refer to as CLAM

Red CB Toronto
02-14-2018, 03:32 PM
Bono is GA. Osorio, Morrow, Zavaleta, Hagglund, Hasler & Rickets may have been bought down with GAM but none of them were TAM players last year.

(Is Bono still GA?)

As of right now I believe he is still GA, have not seen anything regarding GA program graduates in 2018.

rydermike
02-14-2018, 03:58 PM
We also acquired 50k of TAM in the draft day trade where we got Kubel (traded our first for an early second - Kubel, and 50k in TAM). Not too much, but not insignificant

rydermike
02-14-2018, 04:05 PM
Current team status. 6 of (7 if Ager Aketxe is finalized) 8 International Slots used with 6 (5 if Aketxe signs) remaining. Therefore only one of Kubel/Endoh can be signed assuming a trade for a new slot is not completed.
Likely sign Jason Hernandez as depth/

Goalkeepers
1) Alex Bono (GA)
2) Clint Irwin
23) Caleb Patterson-Sewell

Left Back
3) Justin Morrow
4) Ashtone Morgan (CDN,HG)
28)

Centre Backs
5) Drew Moor
6) Nick Hagglund
7) Chris Mavinga (INTL)
19) Erik Zavaleta
27)
29)

Right Back
8) Nicholas Hasler (INTL), likely to be shifted to midfield
20) Gregory van der Wiel (INTL, TAM)
24) Auro (INTL)

Midfielders
9) Michael Bradley (DP)
10) Victor Vasquez (INTL,TAM)
11) Marky Delgado
12) Jonathan Osorio (CDN)
13) Jay Chapman (CDN, HG)
22) Liam Fraser (CDN, HG)
25) Ager Aketxe (INTL, TAM) **unconfirmed
26)
30)

Strikers
14) Sebastian Giovinco (INTL, DP)
15) Jozy Altidore (DP)
16) Tosaint Ricketts (CDN)
17)Jordan Hamilton (CDN, HG)
18) Ayo Akinola (HG)
21) Ben Spencer

Potencial Returns: Jason Hernandez, Tsubasa Endoh
Out of Contract: Mark Pais, Sergio Carmargo (CDN)
Draft Picks: Tim Kubel (INTL), Drew Sheppherd, Andre Morrison (INTL), Ben White

Auzzy
02-14-2018, 06:21 PM
So imagine they sign Aketxe.

Free kick outside of the box.

Giovinco lines up to shoot with his right foot.

Aketxe lines up at the same time to shoot with his left.

Right then I'm having a nervous breakdown as the opposing keeper.

Then Vazquez runs up the middle to the free kick and shoots it under the wall. :D

Shway
02-14-2018, 07:11 PM
^Lol....you see, all that is unnecessary when Giovinco is automatic at FK. The only way Aketxe is taking free kicks, is if God forbid Giovinco is injured.

Jpexxx
02-14-2018, 07:15 PM
^Lol....you see, all that is unnecessary when Giovinco is automatic at FK. The only way Aketxe is taking free kicks, is if God forbid Giovinco is injured.

I think you'd still wanna have Aketxe standing there too, and taking 1 out of every 5-6 just to keep opponents on their toes

ensco
02-14-2018, 07:56 PM
I always wondered why we don't see more of this generally. Europe is so full of guys that just got lost in the depth charts of these very good teams in the top leagues.

We did try this once - Stefanovic. We had the star power to recruit a guy like that (Winter, Klinsman) but didn't have the setup back then to support a guy like that (we had Frings in 2011, but i think the next best player was maybe Soolsma or something!)

Hope this one goes better. I think we do have the setup now to make this work.

Jpexxx
02-14-2018, 08:04 PM
I always wondered why we don't see more of this generally. Europe is so full of guys that just got lost in the depth charts of these very good teams in the top leagues.

We did try this once - Stefanovic. We had the star power to recruit a guy like that (Winter, Klinsman) but didn't have the setup back then to support a guy like that (we had Frings in 2011, but i think the next best player was maybe Soolsma or something!)

Hope this one goes better. I think we do have the setup now to make this work.

I still remember the exact moment when Stefanovic was like "fuck it, i'm done trying"... I don't recall the opponent, but him and Maicon Santos were in 2 on 1, easiest pass ever to the extremely open Stefanovic was available but Santos took it himself instead... and missed the net entirely.

ag futbol
02-14-2018, 08:45 PM
The interesting thing I find about Aketxe is his willingness to shoot from distance, frequently.

We need to draw teams out more and a few crackers from distance will do just that.

Defoe
02-14-2018, 08:47 PM
Tim Leiweke has created a MONSTER. Tim Leiweke must be somewhere smiling right now.

Bez is the real deal. MLSE is the real deal.

ManUtd4ever
02-14-2018, 08:50 PM
The job this management regime has done recruiting talent is nothing short of astounding.

Defoe
02-14-2018, 09:04 PM
Potential FIFA 18 Ratings

Giovinco - 82
Altidore - 78
Axetke - 74
Vasquez - 76
Auro - 71
Bradley - 78
Morrow - 74
Mavinga - 70
Moor - 70
Van Der Weil - 76

ManUtd4ever
02-14-2018, 09:07 PM
Potential FIFA 18 Ratings

Giovinco - 82
Altidore - 78
Axetke - 74
Vasquez - 76
Auro - 71
Bradley - 78
Morrow - 74
Mavinga - 70
Moor - 70
Van Der Weil - 76

That starting lineup is potentially All Star calibre throughout.

Carter
02-14-2018, 10:16 PM

I’ll just leave this here...

http://www.futhead.com/18/players/11305/chad-barrett/

MightyDM
02-14-2018, 10:50 PM

we have a core to almost two starting 11’s. Not quite, but almost, if we treat those who started in the final for the best team in mls history as starters we have about 17- 18 starters. Just missing strikers on the starting second team. And it’s cinceivable that the first t3am plays champions league and the second starting 11 the league for much of the first couple of months. Why not?

MightyDM
02-14-2018, 10:53 PM
Don't forget teams that qualify for CCL play also get additional allocation which I like to refer to as CLAM

Ha Ha Ha Ha. Perfect.

MightyDM
02-14-2018, 10:56 PM
Tim Leiweke has created a MONSTER. Tim Leiweke must be somewhere smiling right now.

Bez is the real deal. MLSE is the real deal.

True this. True.

MightyDM
02-14-2018, 11:00 PM
Vanney’s man management will be put to the test this year.

19Barrett19
02-14-2018, 11:05 PM

:jester::stogey:

Carter
02-14-2018, 11:11 PM
:jester::stogey: don’t you know it! :hump::hump::flare:

RedsMan
02-14-2018, 11:18 PM
As of right now I believe he is still GA, have not seen anything regarding GA program graduates in 2018.
MLS named the GAs who will remain in the program when they announced the 2018 group. Bono wasn't named, so he's out.

portu
02-15-2018, 02:17 AM
In a way signing Aketxe could be depth for Altidore/Giovinco because rather than play Ricketts you can throw Aketxe or Vazquez in at a more withdrawn role
Something like this:
--------------Giovinco-------------
-------------Aketxe---------------
Morrow-Vazquez-Delgado-VDW
---------------Bradley-------------
---Mavinga---Moor--Zavaleta----
----------------Bono--------------

Dunkers
02-15-2018, 03:24 AM

EA mixed up his shot skill and defence skill, what were they thinking

Huyton
02-15-2018, 07:47 AM
It was not that long ago that we wanted a "cap-ologist" to manage the arcane rules of the MLS salary cap.

Perhaps the best signing that TFC has ever made is not Bradley, Altidore, Seba or Vazquez, but rather Tim Bezbatchenko.

James17930
02-15-2018, 08:32 AM
It was not that long ago that we wanted a "cap-ologist" to manage the arcane rules of the MLS salary cap.

Perhaps the best signing that TFC has ever made is not Bradley, Altidore, Seba or Vazquez, but rather Tim Bezbatchenko.

I almost feel like the league planted him with us to end the seemingly endless embarrassment.

ensco
02-15-2018, 08:55 AM
Cart before horse. You guys are selling Bez short.
Capology doesn’t work if you cannot identify talent.
You need both, but talent ID is the bigger skill

barticusz
02-15-2018, 09:01 AM
I almost feel like the league planted him with us to end the seemingly endless embarrassment.

Planted ? No. Bez didn't come I to the role with all the skills he has now. He had the numbers but he's grown to become a very good recruiter as well. He likely absorbed a lot from Tim L and is now just running with it.

He is the absolutely among the most important hires in club history. It's funny, no one seems to call him Harry Potter anymore.

Can't wait to see what's next.

Captain
02-15-2018, 09:09 AM
It's funny, no one seems to call him Harry Potter anymore.

But Harry Potter was a hero....
and a Magician!

shwade
02-15-2018, 10:22 AM
But Harry Potter was a hero....
and a Magician!

He's a wizard and more Harry Potter than ever before!

Captain
02-15-2018, 12:02 PM
He's a wizard and more Harry Potter than ever before!

Geesh , not sure why the word magician is what came to my mind.

jloome
02-15-2018, 12:40 PM

The way he's going is a mixed blessing; he's been so brilliant he'll be the next Ivan Gazidis in short order, chairman of a prem or la liga club.

You know the larger clubs will take notice of a turnaround from "worst team in the world" to "one of the best on the continent."

Oldtimer
02-15-2018, 01:34 PM
The way he's going is a mixed blessing; he's been so brilliant he'll be the next Ivan Gazidis in short order, chairman of a prem or la liga club.

You know the larger clubs will take notice of a turnaround from "worst team in the world" to "one of the best on the continent."

I could easily see a lower table EPL team taking him on for his "moneyball" abilities.

Planted ? No. Bez didn't come I to the role with all the skills he has now. He had the numbers but he's grown to become a very good recruiter as well. He likely absorbed a lot from Tim L and is now just running with it.

He is the absolutely among the most important hires in club history. It's funny, no one seems to call him Harry Potter anymore.

Can't wait to see what's next.

Bez already knew a lot about identifying decent North American players from his work at the league office.

What he learned from Tim L was how to identify and sign top level foreign talent, the "Beckhams" of the soccer world. Somehow, now that he's learned this, combining his capology expertise with his international signings, it's looking like we're going to be having the equivalent of a 5-6 DP team. That's good enough to potentially win the CCL.

Without Bez (and Tim L) the triple would not have happened.

OgtheDim
02-15-2018, 02:18 PM
Bez has a lot of work to do still. We are a good team. We are not yet a dynasty. Heck, I don't expect this team to repeat last year's results. That's not due to the players or management - I just think its really hard in a parity league to repeat that sort of dominance.

HOWEVER, if we were to be as dominant as last year (maybe minus the MLS Cup & Supporter's Shield) each year for the next 5 years, then Bez has done something unheard of.

In most European leagues, you can count on 2-4 teams that will always be near the top. We have the chance to be the first MLS team to do that since the league expanded beyond the initial small group. The real test will be in 2021 when we turn over from the current DP's & 30+ guys to somebody else.

To me, that is the next test for Bez & Vanney. Consistent winning as an expected outcome.

Oldtimer
02-15-2018, 02:23 PM
Pretty hard to be a five-year dynasty in a salary cap league. I'd settle for three years like LA or DC.

barticusz
02-15-2018, 02:39 PM
I could easily see a lower table EPL team taking him on for his "moneyball" abilities.

Bez already knew a lot about identifying decent North American players from his work at the league office.

What he learned from Tim L was how to identify and sign top level foreign talent, the "Beckhams" of the soccer world. Somehow, now that he's learned this, combining his capology expertise with his international signings, it's looking like we're going to be having the equivalent of a 5-6 DP team. That's good enough to potentially win the CCL.

Without Bez (and Tim L) the triple would not have happened.

The difference here is that Bez is helped by the Marketplace he is living in. If and when he leaves it will only be to a similar market that can attract players. I do not see him going to a middle of the back EPL team as I don't think they'd have the ability/ownership group to compete with the big dogs. The situation here at TFC was extremely unique. A fantastic/attractive/growing market, a team with a horrendous track record, an ownership group willing to spend to be the best there is in the league.

oldtraffordPEI
02-15-2018, 02:52 PM
https://twitter.com/JogaBonito_USA/status/964195287957983232

OgtheDim
02-15-2018, 03:10 PM
Pretty hard to be a five-year dynasty in a salary cap league. I'd settle for three years like LA or DC.

I think the way TAM & GAM has been implemented by teams shows some with more ambition can gather more resources & depth. In a league with 20+ teams, those resources go a long way to build success.

Kind of like how the Loons are going to have a state of the art 19K $200 million arena that can expand up to 25K built before they actually have 1 DP.

Ossington Mental Youth
02-15-2018, 06:06 PM
The difference here is that Bez is helped by the Marketplace he is living in. If and when he leaves it will only be to a similar market that can attract players. I do not see him going to a middle of the back EPL team as I don't think they'd have the ability/ownership group to compete with the big dogs. The situation here at TFC was extremely unique. A fantastic/attractive/growing market, a team with a horrendous track record, an ownership group willing to spend to be the best there is in the league.

This

James17930
02-15-2018, 07:23 PM

:flare::drum::scarf:

Red CB Toronto
02-15-2018, 07:55 PM

The stronger getting stronger, simple as that.

Defoe
02-15-2018, 08:38 PM
The stronger getting stronger, simple as that.

It's just unbevaialble what they have acomplished.

I love that Axetke and Auro both come in and can make a difference right away but they fit into the long term projection as well.

I hope we don't lose anyone to make room i.e.: Irwin, Delgado or Osorio. I could live with it for Axetke though that's for sure

barticusz
02-15-2018, 08:55 PM
Still no signing so I'm holding my breat though it seems very likely. Checking his instagram he hasn't made any posts that would allow us to speculate like we did with vanderwiel

Areathrasher
02-16-2018, 07:28 AM
https://twitter.com/plattoli/status/964470171216723968

Bez is on the fan at 8:30 btw

ensco
02-16-2018, 08:04 AM
Pro tip - x is pronounced like sh in basque. Just in case you need to know...

wynne
02-16-2018, 08:44 AM
https://twitter.com/plattoli/status/964470171216723968

Bez is on the fan at 8:30 btw
i missed most of it, but caught the ending where Bez mentioned VdW’s agent actually reached out to them about a move here

kuku
02-16-2018, 08:45 AM
Jason Foster‏ @JogaBonito_USA (https://twitter.com/JogaBonito_USA) 7m7 minutes ago (https://twitter.com/JogaBonito_USA/status/964493097358053376)More

Now #TFC (https://twitter.com/hashtag/TFC?src=hash) have reportedly reached an agreement with #AthleticBilbao (https://twitter.com/hashtag/AthleticBilbao?src=hash) for the immediate transfer of Ager Aketxe. The 24 year old will sign a 2 year contract (+1 option year), and Athletic have a buyback option as long as they match other offers. #TFCLive (https://twitter.com/hashtag/TFCLive?src=hash) #MLS (https://twitter.com/hashtag/MLS?src=hash)

Soccer Mum
02-16-2018, 08:52 AM
Anyone know about this Aketxe? Is he any good?

Areathrasher
02-16-2018, 08:56 AM
https://twitter.com/JogaBonito_USA/status/964496855802531840
https://twitter.com/JogaBonito_USA/status/964496857480253442
https://twitter.com/JogaBonito_USA/status/964496862312128514

Captain
02-16-2018, 08:58 AM
Anyone know about this Aketxe? Is he any good?

Can anyone shed some light on how this name is pronounced? I know someone above said the x was a sh sound. Extra time radio wouldn't even attempt to pronounce it although they did think the tx was pronounced ch.

ag futbol
02-16-2018, 09:15 AM
This is quite the coup for management if they pull this off. Maybe with the repurchase option the price will be low.

Detroit_TFC
02-16-2018, 09:16 AM
I have to admit I've never heard of him before, but this is seeming more and more a big time signing. If the FO has pulled off another "Giovinco" (ie talented Euro top league player looking for more opportunity to be the big star), that would be extraordinary.

edit:
On second thought, I have to pull back on the stick a bit here. Aketxe doesn't have the resume that Giovinco came in with, but still seems a significant signing.

Captain
02-16-2018, 09:22 AM
"the 24 year old was convinced by the good contract, immediate playing time,"

I hope he doesn't expect to just walk into the line up. He's going to have to earn his spot on the field. I wonder what has been promised to him that he believes he gets immediate playing time.

Rodgesico
02-16-2018, 09:24 AM
Ah-KET-che according to this reddit post (https://www.reddit.com/r/tfc/comments/7xi4js/tfc_reaches_an_agreement_with_ager_aketxe/)

OgtheDim
02-16-2018, 09:31 AM
Wait...MLSE sent Friisdahl?

I don't get that. This is a TAM signing.

Captain
02-16-2018, 09:32 AM
Ah-KET-che according to this reddit post (https://www.reddit.com/r/tfc/comments/7xi4js/tfc_reaches_an_agreement_with_ager_aketxe/)

Thank you. Saves me from mumbling over his name everytime I read it!

Captain
02-16-2018, 09:39 AM
The breakfast is being live streamed.

Derko
02-16-2018, 09:40 AM
"the 24 year old was convinced by the good contract, immediate playing time,"

I hope he doesn't expect to just walk into the line up. He's going to have to earn his spot on the field. I wonder what has been promised to him that he believes he gets immediate playing time.

Maybe he is a consistent enough player to walk right into the line up for maybe Osorio or Delgado.

portu
02-16-2018, 09:54 AM

MLSE money though. likely a discretionary TAM signing

C.Ronaldo
02-16-2018, 10:02 AM

to help pronounce his name. lol

He must be good enough to have this much attention put on him. perhaps our future star player

Areathrasher
02-16-2018, 10:28 AM

With a shit ton of interest from other clubs in Europe.

barticusz
02-16-2018, 10:54 AM
Could'nt help myself and I added him to TFC and simmed the season. He surprisingly contributed in a lot of the goals... and we finished first of course. With my PM scouting now complete, I would really like to see him on this team.

Also, Auro and Akinola train like beasts in the career mode for those that are interested. Akinola was a 70 by the end of the year (up from 61).

ensco
02-16-2018, 11:21 AM
Friisdahl went in a private plane, hmmmmm .... (Digression alert.)

WTF? For a Bilbao guy who can't crack their squad? I get why 200 of us are excited, but get real.

I love these circular statements when suits start turning the champagne spigots ....Who is kidding who? MLSE didn't "send" Friisdahl in a private plane.... nobody did.

Friisdahl's the CEO, he decided he was needed, and he decided to spend his time (highly questionable) and $150-200K (totally unconscionable) on a private plane, because, you know, First Class transatlantic just wasn't a viable option.

You think he would have done this if Aketxe were in Panama or Texas?

Because of the Bell/Rogers mexican standoff here, there is no boss (no governance). In the absence of governance, I hope a Bell/Rogers business section journalist goes after this.

The problem is ultimately ours- we pay in the long run when the suits make decisions that don't stand up to scrutiny. If suits piss off the owners, we lose.

How about Friisdahl stays home next time and we cut Beita a check for $100K for nearly dying for us? Everyone would be better off.

TFC/Everton
02-16-2018, 11:26 AM

WTF? For a Bilbao guy who can't crack their squad? I get why 200 of us are excited, but get real.

I love these circular statements when suits start turning the champagne spigots ....Who is kidding who? MLSE didn't "send" Friisdahl in a private plane.... nobody did.

Friisdahl's the CEO, he decided he was needed, and he decided to spend his time (questionable) and $150-200K (unconscionable) on a private plane because First Class transatlantic just wasn't a viable option.

Because of the Bell/Rogers mexican standoff here, there is no boss (no governance). In the absence of governance, I hope a Bell/Rogers business section journalist goes after this.

The problem is ultimately ours- we pay in the long run when the suits make decisions that don't stand up to scrutiny. If suits piss off the owners, we lose.

What are you talking about?

ag futbol
02-16-2018, 11:29 AM

Friisdahl's the CEO, he decided he was needed, and he decided to spend his time (highly questionable) and $150-200K (totally unconscionable) on a private plane, because, you know, First Class transatlantic just wasn't a viable option.

How about Friisdahl stays home next time and we cut Beita a check for $100K for nearly dying for us? Everyone would be better off.
As an investor would I agree with this? Sure. But no need for the corporate governance talk at this stage.

ensco
02-16-2018, 11:31 AM
What are you talking about?

That is what it costs to charter a private plane transtalantic. I am being kind, it's probably more

https://www.privatefly.com/inspirational-jet-flights/private-jet-from-london-to-new-york-city.html

ensco
02-16-2018, 11:32 AM
As an investor would I agree with this? Sure. But no need for the corporate governance talk at this stage.

Sorry but the one thing I know is how suits think. They won't like this up at Bell/Rogers. At all.

A Stick
02-16-2018, 11:35 AM
I am pretty sure Bell, Tanenbaum and Rogers would have signed off on this expenditure.

OgtheDim
02-16-2018, 11:37 AM
Sorry but the one thing I know is how suits think. They won't like this up at Bell/Rogers. At all.

That's why I'm wondering if this report is true.

ensco
02-16-2018, 11:38 AM
That's why I'm wondering if this report is true.

I hope you are right.

To the previous point, the CEO in most companies with $100M+ revenues wouldn't/shouldn't have to get sign off on a $200K expenditure.

Areathrasher
02-16-2018, 11:39 AM
That is what it costs to charter a private plane transtalantic. I am being kind, it's probably more

https://www.privatefly.com/inspirational-jet-flights/private-jet-from-london-to-new-york-city.html

Larry Tanenbaum has his own jet and has let MLSE use it for free agency wooing , all star game transportation and such in the past.

https://46wvda23y0nl13db2j3bl1yx-wpengine.netdna-ssl.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/MLSE-Private-Jet-696x417.jpeg

https://www.mapleleafshotstove.com/2015/05/09/mike-babcock-watch-mlse-private-jet-spotted-in-detroit-today/

ensco
02-16-2018, 11:41 AM
Larry Tanenbaum has his own jet has let MLSE use it for free agency wooing , all star game transportation and such in the past.

Most private jets can't go transatlantic. Even if his can, the fuel costs are a large percentage of the total cost. Crew costs are big too.

I can't explain how/why, but I know a lot about the private aviation business. I also know something about what a white hot issue this is in boardrooms.

ag futbol
02-16-2018, 11:43 AM
At face value I agree private jet expenses are a sore point. But we have no idea what else may have contributed to the decision (other more important events subsequent to this creating time pressure) or if there’s oversight in place to prevent a private jet from turning into an expensive toy.

For all we know they asked Larry if they could borrow the whip for a day or two and he obliged.

No need to go all 5-alarm fire here.

kuku
02-16-2018, 11:45 AM
https://pbs.twimg.com/profile_images/945490606112915461/FDRwsk7L_bigger.jpgJason Foster‏ @JogaBonito_USA (https://twitter.com/JogaBonito_USA)
According to @goal (https://twitter.com/goal) report, #TFC (https://twitter.com/hashtag/TFC?src=hash) will sign Ager Aketxe on a free transfer, despite his #AthleticBilbao (https://twitter.com/hashtag/AthleticBilbao?src=hash) contract not ending until June. Already a great deal but getting a 24 year old winger/playmaker from #LaLiga (https://twitter.com/hashtag/LaLiga?src=hash) on a free is an absolute steal! #TFCLive (https://twitter.com/hashtag/TFCLive?src=hash) #MLS (https://twitter.com/hashtag/MLS?src=hash)

wing
@JogaBonito_USA

Areathrasher
02-16-2018, 11:45 AM
Most private jets can't go transatlantic.

It depends on the model.

ensco
02-16-2018, 11:46 AM
No need to go all 5-alarm fire here.

You are probably right. I'll drop it unless we learn more. I don't want to detract from Bez landing a really great looking signing.

I just don't like the idea that this cool thing may be comingled with egregious freeloading, for no good reason, in the minds of the ultimate bosses.

OgtheDim
02-16-2018, 11:49 AM
The whole thing just sounds weird - especially with a "its premature" denial today.

ag futbol
02-16-2018, 11:58 AM
The whole thing just sounds weird - especially with a "its premature" denial today.
Story aside, I think this club has taken the right approach of putting a complete lid on everything until the ink is dry and the deal is done.

So not surprised they issued a denial.

rydermike
02-16-2018, 12:01 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/profile_images/945490606112915461/FDRwsk7L_bigger.jpgJason Foster‏ @JogaBonito_USA (https://twitter.com/JogaBonito_USA)
According to @goal (https://twitter.com/goal) report, #TFC (https://twitter.com/hashtag/TFC?src=hash) will sign Ager Aketxe on a free transfer, despite his #AthleticBilbao (https://twitter.com/hashtag/AthleticBilbao?src=hash) contract not ending until June. Already a great deal but getting a 24 year old winger/playmaker from #LaLiga (https://twitter.com/hashtag/LaLiga?src=hash) on a free is an absolute steal! #TFCLive (https://twitter.com/hashtag/TFCLive?src=hash) #MLS (https://twitter.com/hashtag/MLS?src=hash)

wing
@JogaBonito_USA

Really gotta hand it to Bez on these TAM signings. Transfer fees are included in the cap, but Vasquez and Aketxe on frees, Auro on loan, and VdW on a 200k. So 200k transfers fees combined for four quality players, easily fits into our TAM budget.

DinamoTFC
02-16-2018, 12:08 PM
Pro tip - x is pronounced like sh in basque. Just in case you need to know...

I read TX is pronounced like ch. So pronounced ah-ket-che if someone can confirm

oldtraffordPEI
02-16-2018, 01:07 PM
https://twitter.com/Ghanasoccernet/status/964558395448741894

TFC/Everton
02-16-2018, 01:07 PM
https://www.facebook.com/West-African-Football-Academy-SC-1417689485218922/

Apparently we've signed Gideon Waja, according to the West African Football Academy's facebook page.

TFC II, perhaps?

Canary10
02-16-2018, 01:13 PM
Hmm, the signings are coming fast and furious now. Or at least the rumours are.

oldtraffordPEI
02-16-2018, 01:25 PM
He got a cap from the Ghana mens national team last year. Thats a good sign for a guy who turned 21 in Dec.

fergiejr
02-16-2018, 01:28 PM
Sounds familiar....

http://forums.redpatchboys.ca/showthread.php?40080-TFC-2017-player-in-season-moves-speculation-rumours/page17

Scroll down to item 507

oldtraffordPEI
02-16-2018, 01:35 PM
Sounds familiar....

http://forums.redpatchboys.ca/showthread.php?40080-TFC-2017-player-in-season-moves-speculation-rumours/page17

Scroll down to item 507

Good find, seems like either TFC actually have been tracking him for some time, or just fluff from someone in Africa.

JonO
02-16-2018, 01:38 PM

Lots of rumours swirling, but even assuming that they did arrive in a private plane, that does not mean that they necessarily made the transatlantic flight in a private plane. Just saying...

notthesun
02-16-2018, 01:42 PM
https://www.facebook.com/West-African-Football-Academy-SC-1417689485218922/

Apparently we've signed Gideon Waja, according to the West African Football Academy's facebook page.

TFC II, perhaps?

My initial impression is TFC II, but who knows, I'm not sure how good this guy is.