PDA

View Full Version : TFC 2017-2018 player Off-season moves/speculation/rumours

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7

Luanda
01-25-2018, 06:50 PM
[QUOTE=Redpunkfiddle;1860075]

Well "libres de impuestos" would mean free from taxes, but I'd assume there would be taxes beyond that figure, yeah.

BEFORE taxes.

notthesun
01-25-2018, 06:56 PM
Mac Allister appears to be a box-to-box midfielder. Averaging 1.3 tackles, 0.6 interceptions, 1.3 key passes & 2.3 shot attempts per game this season with Argentinos Juniors (same team we purchased Laba from). Has 4 assists in 11 games as a 19 year old. Very intriguing.

TFC1154ever
01-25-2018, 07:02 PM
This is the guy totera was talking about. Looks like a stud. Young too. Would be animal next to Bradley and can get involved in the play going forward. Ballsy signing. This rumor has me very happy

Shway
01-25-2018, 07:21 PM
Hmmm....really different in regard to the stated player expectations. Not really an attacking player, and to spend that on a position that's not "really" a need is very intriguing.

TFC1154ever
01-25-2018, 07:35 PM
I want to know, how can we afford him and Van der Wiel? I know he would come during the summer but, a 4.5 mil transfer fee, plus his salary, would use up most of our TAM. No?

Defoe
01-25-2018, 07:40 PM
I want to know, how can we afford him and Van der Wiel? I know he would come during the summer but, a 4.5 mil transfer fee, plus his salary, would use up most of our TAM. No?

My offseason wish: Sign a compotent RB and a young midfielder that can play now; but be developed for the future. Very happy with these rumours!

OgtheDim
01-25-2018, 07:49 PM
Anybody know the rule Atlanta used to get Barco and only have him count towards $175K on the cap? I keep hearing "young designated player" but nobody backs that up with pointing to the actual guideline anywhere where that has been talked about.

Might be applicable in this case.

Ajax TFC
01-25-2018, 07:53 PM
Would it be bad if he took Beitashour's 33?
What would be bad about a new player using the number a player leaving vacated?

Nos. 2, 15, 23, and 25 are all taken; we can kiss the signing goodbye.
:( lol
Could take 12, 32, or bump Hamilton off of 22. Probably not bumping Morrow or Mavinga off their numbers though

Ajax TFC
01-25-2018, 08:00 PM
Anybody know the rule Atlanta used to get Barco and only have him count towards $175K on the cap? I keep hearing "young designated player" but nobody backs that up with pointing to the actual guideline anywhere where that has been talked about.

Might be applicable in this case. Same way we got Matias Laba after Payne came in.
"A Designated Player 23 years old or younger during the league year (age of player is determined by year - not date - of birth) will carry the following Young Designated Player Budget Charge:

Ages 20 and younger: $150,000
Ages 21-23: $200,000
If such Designated Player joins the club after the opening of the Secondary Transfer Window, he will carry the Mid-Season Youth Designated Player Salary Budget Charge of $150,000 regardless of age.

Clubs may "buy down" the budget charge of a Designated Player with General Allocation money (https://www.mlssoccer.com/league/official-rules/mls-roster-rules-and-regulations#general-allocation-money). The reduced charge may not be less than $150,000."

https://www.mlssoccer.com/league/official-rules/mls-roster-rules-and-regulations

OgtheDim
01-25-2018, 08:06 PM
Thanks...so not applicable as we have 3 DP's already.

GabrielHurl
01-25-2018, 08:19 PM
If anyone can find a way - it's Bez

Areathrasher
01-25-2018, 08:43 PM
With Barco it's just a case of Atlanta buying down Villalba with TAM to free up a DP spot. Barco takes the DP spot but as he's 18 he falls into the Young DP category and doesn't have a full DP cap hit.

Areathrasher
01-25-2018, 08:49 PM
Mac Allister appears to be a box-to-box midfielder. Averaging 1.3 tackles, 0.6 interceptions, 1.3 key passes & 2.3 shot attempts per game this season with Argentinos Juniors (same team we purchased Laba from). Has 4 assists in 11 games as a 19 year old. Very intriguing.
Can he play the piano though?

reggie
01-25-2018, 08:51 PM
im sure its not a dp type player.im sure its a tam pickup.its the only way it works.if this rumour is true.

Jpexxx
01-25-2018, 08:58 PM
Steve Gennaro‏ @_sgennaro (https://twitter.com/_sgennaro)FollowingFollowing
@_sgennaro

More

Steve Gennaro Retweeted A. Totera
Man @4totera (https://twitter.com/4totera) is on https://abs.twimg.com/emoji/v2/72x72/1f525.pnghttps://abs.twimg.com/emoji/v2/72x72/1f525.pnghttps://abs.twimg.com/emoji/v2/72x72/1f525.pngI can also confirm that this tweet is also true. #TFCLive (https://twitter.com/hashtag/TFCLive?src=hash) have their https://abs.twimg.com/emoji/v2/72x72/1f440.png on a handful of different international players. Likely only to sign 1 (maybe 2) but are definitely working it to make sure they use the TAM to its fullest.

The tweet in question states that if the Argentine falls thru, there is a Chilean player they have their eye on instead

rydermike
01-25-2018, 09:20 PM
Transfer fees are amortized over the life of the contract right? So if the Argentinian McAllister is getting a $4.5 million transfer fee, with say a $750k salary, if we give him a 5 year deal, that would be a cap hit of 900k for transfer and 750k salary, totalling 1.65M, which is TAMable fairly easily along with Vasquez and Van der Wiel, but might not be able to TAM anyone else.

nonc
01-25-2018, 09:24 PM
Hmmm....really different in regard to the stated player expectations. Not really an attacking player, and to spend that on a position that's not "really" a need is very intriguing.

Hard to know with certainty what the expectations for him are. He started out more of an attacking mid, moved to central or defensive mid over the last couple years.

Gazza_55
01-25-2018, 09:42 PM
Transfer fees are amortized over the life of the contract right? So if the Argentinian McAllister is getting a $4.5 million transfer fee, with say a $750k salary, if we give him a 5 year deal, that would be a cap hit of 900k for transfer and 750k salary, totalling 1.65M, which is TAMable fairly easily along with Vasquez and Van der Wiel, but might not be able to TAM anyone else.

This.

And knowing the league the TAM number of $4m in 2018 and 2019 will be $5m in 2020 or more. It will never be less than $4m again.

Ossington Mental Youth
01-25-2018, 09:44 PM
im not even worried about the financial aspect. i understand how the league works at its most basic level but we can only assume and guess what happens behind the scenes. If it happens its cuz Bez sorted it in a reasonable fashion.

rydermike
01-25-2018, 10:18 PM
Here's my ballpark TAM calculations (trying to be conservative to not get my hopes of even more high profile signings, so went with what I think may be max numbers rather than min)

Vasquez made 700k last year (let's assume he got a raise to $1M just to be safe, may not have gotten one) to TAM him to $150k = $850k (he had no transfer fee according to transfermarkt)

Say we sign MaCallister to a 5year/$750k per year with $4.5M transfer = $1.65M per year = $1.4M to bring to 205k (replace Cooper at $205k) not taking into account Young DP status, not sure how that works)
Say we sign Van der Wiel to 3 year/$1.5M per year with $1.5M transfer = $2M per year = $1.75M to bring to 250k (replace Beita @ 265k cap)

In total thats $4.00M in TAM.
It's also assuming we buy them down to replace the cap hit of the players they replace. That's with the assumptions I made. Vasquez may get no raise since he had a deal already, van der Wiel might be cheaper, McAllister annual salary might be far less than 750k (wasn't Laba at 200k?, he's coming from same team, similar age + Young DP). Might even have space for another cheap TAM deal in the 600k-$1M range if my numbers are too high. And of course, McCallister and VdW might not happen anyways

Carter
01-25-2018, 10:35 PM
Here's my ballpark TAM calculations (trying to be conservative to not get my hopes of even more high profile signings, so went with what I think may be max numbers rather than min)

Vasquez made 700k last year (let's assume he got a raise to $1M just to be safe, may not have gotten one) to TAM him to $150k = $850k (he had no transfer fee according to transfermarkt)

Say we sign MaCallister to a 5year/$750k per year with $4.5M transfer = $1.65M per year = $1.4M to bring to 205k (replace Cooper at $205k) not taking into account Young DP status, not sure how that works)
Say we sign Van der Wiel to 3 year/$1.5M per year with $1.5M transfer = $2M per year = $1.75M to bring to 250k (replace Beita @ 265k cap)

In total thats $4.00M in TAM.
It's also assuming we buy them down to replace the cap hit of the players they replace. That's with the assumptions I made. Vasquez may get no raise since he had a deal already, van der Wiel might be cheaper, McAllister annual salary might be far less than 750k (wasn't Laba at 200k?, he's coming from same team, similar age + Young DP). Might even have space for another cheap TAM deal in the 600k-$1M range if my numbers are too high. And of course, McCallister and VdW might not happen anyways

good math, but unless we picked up a 4th DP slot, I don’t think McAllister qualifies for YDP status

OgtheDim
01-25-2018, 10:40 PM
Vasquez isn't a DP

No way we are Taming down Jozy.

Carter
01-25-2018, 10:52 PM
Vasquez isn't a DP

No way we are Taming down Jozy.
Wait who said VV is a DP:flare:

James17930
01-26-2018, 12:48 AM

Transfer fees count against the cap? I didn't realize that. I figured they were a one-time, up-front payment.

No wonder MLS used to refuse to pay transfer fees as a matter of principle. They would have taken up way too much of the previously small salary cap limits.

portu
01-26-2018, 05:11 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e5VufeFjEcM

Mac Allister highlights

shwade
01-26-2018, 06:31 AM
Altidore isn't going to be re signed to a DP contract after this season...that would be bananas. They most certainly will pay him down with TAM or he'll be taking his talents elsewhere.

Derko
01-26-2018, 07:24 AM
I dont know if you missed it but i already explained to someone else that my statement was over exaggerated on purpose. Anyways you can root for him all you like i would love to see him shine, anyone in a TFC jersey for that matter but he had his time to
do that. He didnt prove anything for the amount of times he played, alot of moans and groans when Spencers on dudes so tall but cant header a ball... i do hope he proves me and many wrong but until than i say its a terrible signing where the gameplay minutes hes gonna get, should've gone to JayHams.

Oops, just read that one, cheers

portu
01-26-2018, 07:32 AM
Houston only has one (ONE) forward and we have an unreal number of forwards. Wouldn't mind seeing Akinola, Spencer or Hamilton out on loan there for a season. Manotas and Cubo Torres are two young strikers who have grown greatly under Cabrera.

rydermike
01-26-2018, 07:37 AM
good math, but unless we picked up a 4th DP slot, I don’t think McAllister qualifies for YDP status I know that he wouldn't be a dp because we have 3,what I meant is since he has dp level salary, maybe if we buy him down to $385,maybe he would still be only be charged $150 on the cap, since he's young dp salary pre-tam saving us 200k on tam. Realize that wasn't clear.

ensco
01-26-2018, 07:43 AM
I don't get why we would do this supposed Argentine move, tbh. It doesn’t make sense to me

Where would a stud young DM play?

If we really are signing this McAllister, then we are moving a major piece (Delgado? Bradley?)

portu
01-26-2018, 07:50 AM
I don't get why we would do this supposed Argentine move, tbh. It doesn’t make sense to me

If we really are signing this McAllister, then we are moving a major piece (Delgado? Bradley?)
Well, he's not a DM more box-to-box. Probably competing with Delgado for minutes and honestly in the highlights available (and there are a lot) he looks miles better than Delgado. And why wouldn't you always be looking to improve your side?

portu
01-26-2018, 07:52 AM
This

ag futbol
01-26-2018, 08:17 AM

Fair, perhaps. If we really have this much extra budget flexibility i’d think a 3rd proven and more prolific goal scoring option would be called for.

That said, i’m not complaining. Off season moves have never been this interesting before. It’s starting to look more like global football and less like a few stars with the rest of a roster constructed with bubblegum and duct tape.

Areathrasher
01-26-2018, 08:17 AM
Given Orlando paid $4.5M for Colman and NYCFC around the same for Medina and they are both DPs I dont think $4.5M is TAMable.

However, while I feel that the interest in Mac Allister is legit I dont think the $4.5M fee is accurate given his profile and experience. I'd say TFC are would be hoping to pay $1m-$2m range for him.

ensco
01-26-2018, 08:23 AM
Well, he's not a DM more box-to-box. Probably competing with Delgado for minutes and honestly in the highlights available (and there are a lot) he looks miles better than Delgado. And why wouldn't you always be looking to improve your side?

We may improve a lot if we do nothing.

The default scenario is to let this roll and see if Delgado becomes a true star. Which he may well do.

OgtheDim
01-26-2018, 08:45 AM
I remain unconvinced that this is anything - at the most tire kicking. When it comes to rumours, Toterra is off way more then he's on.

Ultimately, the #'s and needs don't match up.

Areathrasher
01-26-2018, 08:48 AM
Merlo is the Argie Di Marzio or Bob McKenzie. He's legit.

James17930
01-26-2018, 08:51 AM
Altidore isn't going to be re signed to a DP contract after this season...that would be bananas. They most certainly will pay him down with TAM or he'll be taking his talents elsewhere.

How do you know that?

Globetrotter
01-26-2018, 08:52 AM
Why are we talking about getting rid of Delgado, shouldn't the name be Osorio?

notthesun
01-26-2018, 08:54 AM
We may improve a lot if we do nothing.

The default scenario is to let this roll and see if Delgado becomes a true star. Which he may well do.

Mac Allister would be a summer transfer, our midfield would still be status quo until then. Remember, we've lost Cheyrou and Cooper in midfield and replaced them with Fraser so far. Could definitely use another body to reinforce our midfield (plus Delgado may be getting called in on the regular to the US national team now). I also like trying to bring in a kid to develop for a few years because I still suspect Osorio might leave at some point (anyone else catch his post-game MLS Cup interview where he said he "doesn't feel like he gets the credit he deserves"? I think he's stuck between his love of playing for Toronto and a desire for a full-time starting role).

Given Orlando paid $4.5M for Colman and NYCFC around the same for Medina and they are both DPs I dont think $4.5M is TAMable.

However, while I feel that the interest in Mac Allister is legit I dont think the $4.5M fee is accurate given his profile and experience. I'd say TFC are would be hoping to pay $1m-$2m range for him.

Pure speculation here but maybe this guy is on to something? https://www.reddit.com/r/MLS/comments/7t0u9y/theory_mls_is_getting_ready_to_introduce_a/

Detroit_TFC
01-26-2018, 09:01 AM
Mac Allister would be a summer transfer, our midfield would still be status quo until then. Remember, we've lost Cheyrou and Cooper in midfield and replaced them with Fraser so far. Could definitely use another body to reinforce our midfield (plus Delgado may be getting called in on the regular to the US national team now). I also like trying to bring in a kid to develop for a few years because I still suspect Osorio might leave at some point (anyone else catch his post-game MLS Cup interview where he said he "doesn't feel like he gets the credit he deserves"? I think he's stuck between his love of playing for Toronto and a desire for a full-time starting role).

Isn't summer a half hit on salary cap, so might be able to make the math work. If so, would mean some changes going into next season when the full price gets charged.

Areathrasher
01-26-2018, 09:04 AM
\

Pure speculation here but maybe this guy is on to something? https://www.reddit.com/r/MLS/comments/7t0u9y/theory_mls_is_getting_ready_to_introduce_a/

I like that idea.

Something Vanney said earlier in the week when talking about new signings struck me. He said something along the line of "TAM and other new mechanisms" What other new mechanisms?

Ajax TFC
01-26-2018, 09:42 AM
Why are we talking about getting rid of Delgado, shouldn't the name be Osorio?
We're talking about who gets bumped out of the starting XI by a big new midfield signing. Seeing as Delgado is generally a starter ahead of Osorio, it'll be Delgado losing the XI spot, not Osorio since Osorio generally doesn't have a place in the first XI. Natrually, a new midfielder that bumps Delgado out of the XI is going to restrict Osorio's minutes even more.

Ultra & Proud
01-26-2018, 09:45 AM
I like that idea.

Something Vanney said earlier in the week when talking about new signings struck me. He said something along the line of "TAM and other new mechanisms" What other new mechanisms?
Now that Atlanta did their thing and have a whole roster filled with young internationals and are garnering lots of attention they will now be the new LA Galaxy. That means much like when LA was able to get aging starts to come and upgrade the league, the rules will now change to help boost the league's profile by working ways for teams to fill their rosters with young South American talent.

Hopefully they spread the rules around to everyone and don't use it just to pump up their new media darlings.

kuku
01-26-2018, 10:24 AM
https://pbs.twimg.com/profile_images/907234914491355137/qKb4A6UI_bigger.jpgMichel Mulders‏ @michelmulders (https://twitter.com/michelmulders)FollowingFollowing
@michelmulders

More

Gregory van de Wiel joins Toronto FC. Signs a contract for two years. Very interesting transfer! #TFCLive (https://twitter.com/hashtag/TFCLive?src=hash) #MLS (https://twitter.com/hashtag/MLS?src=hash)

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DUefZ_AX0AAebNI.jpg

langilleski
01-26-2018, 10:25 AM
This guy is reporting its done.

https://twitter.com/MikeVerweij/status/956905413546598401

Detroit_TFC
01-26-2018, 10:46 AM
Wowza, looks like this one is for real. If this works out (always an unknown variable - settling in to new city, integrating into a close knit squad, etc, etc), that's a decent pick up.

Areathrasher
01-26-2018, 10:48 AM
This dutch journo has confirmation from his agent

https://twitter.com/MikeVerweij/status/956905413546598401

Gregory van der Wiel (29) continues his career in Major League Soccer.

The right-back is about to sign a two-year contract with Toronto FC, confirms its agent Hakim Slimani on request.
Slimani and the Canadian club are currently discussing the latest details of the contract and Van der Wiel has yet to undergo the medical examination. "It was Gregory's wish to play in the MLS, Toronto offered him that opportunity and convinced him with a brilliant presentation."

After an excellent period at PSG and failed adventures at Fenerbahçe and Cagliari, the 46-fold international hopes to revive his career. At Ajax and Paris Saint-Germain, the team from Amsterdam captured a total of six national titles, four national cups and three super cups. In 2010 he was right back in the lost World Cup final against Spain.
At Toronto FC, the reigning champion, Van der Wiel meets former AZ player Jozy Altidore, former sc Heerenveen midfielder Michael Bradely and ex-Juventus striker Sebastian Giovinco.

https://www.telesport.nl/artikel/137426/internationaal/van-der-wiel-naar-mls

jabbronies
01-26-2018, 10:53 AM

We are not signing this kid to a 5 year deal.
He'll be signed to 2 with 1 year extension at most...even that is a lot for an unproven kid

portu
01-26-2018, 11:27 AM
He'll be signed to 2 with 1 year extension at most...even that is a lot for an unproven kid
Lmao if u make a multi-million dollar investment u do not tie them to a 2+1 contract. 3+2 is much more likely.

T.O TILL I DIE
01-26-2018, 11:36 AM
So glad we signed van der weil. Where even more of a world wide contender now. MLS will hopefully turn his career around for the better.

ag futbol
01-26-2018, 11:43 AM
Lmao if u make a multi-million dollar investment u do not tie them to a 2+1 contract. 3+2 is much more likely.
With the recent antics of Larin / OCSC i’m not sure you want your deal to be +anything.

Hard for us to assess how proven he is from this far away ... we shall see

rydermike
01-26-2018, 11:48 AM

I think it only makes sense. Longer term means transfer fee us amortized over longer therefore lower cap hit, and can always have the wink wink deal, where its officially a 5 year deal (so we have a lower cap hit) but we'll sell him by year 3 to Europe if he wants.

19Barrett19
01-26-2018, 11:56 AM
From the video scouting report on Mac Allister he looks good. A young version of Higuain. Promising

portu
01-26-2018, 11:59 AM
With the recent antics of Larin / OCSC i’m not sure you want your deal to be +anything.

Hard for us to assess how proven he is from this far away ... we shall see
Agreed but it hasn’t stopped other clubs this window from doing it. I’m only speaking to likelihood really.

Areathrasher
01-26-2018, 12:04 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DUe27R_XUAETRT3.jpg

WDV wifes Insta

Red CB Toronto
01-26-2018, 12:12 PM

WDV wifes Insta

So who is in for greeting them at the airport?

C.Ronaldo
01-26-2018, 12:13 PM

WDV wifes Insta

hottest wife award?

flatpicker
01-26-2018, 12:28 PM
hottest wife award?

Great. You made me visit her IG page.
Now how am I supposed to concentrate on anything for the rest of the day?

Ajax TFC
01-26-2018, 12:53 PM
So I guess we could see a picture of him holding up a TFC jersey (with a number? :)) by tomorrow. Guess he gets in late afternoon and signs the contract tonight or tomorrow morning

BenRhodes23
01-26-2018, 01:12 PM
So who is in for greeting them at the airport?

They're probably flying to LA to meet up for preseason

jabbronies
01-26-2018, 01:20 PM

ya I thought the same thing RE: big investment
3+2 could be a more real bet - they must really have faith that this guy is going to translate to the NA game to put that much cash into the transfer and that long of a deal

Areathrasher
01-26-2018, 01:25 PM
They're probably flying to LA to meet up for preseason

Nope, coming to Toronto for medical and to sign the contract per Josh Kloke

A source close to Van der Wiel confirmed that the 29-year-old will arrive in Toronto on Friday and will finalize a contract, pending medical examinations.

Paywalled article https://theathletic.com/223036/2018/01/26/toronto-fc-set-to-sign-dutch-right-back-gregory-van-der-wiel/

Gazza_55
01-26-2018, 01:28 PM

None of our 3 DP's are going anywhere in the next 3-4 years. They are only getting better and they all deserve to be on DP contracts.

Ajax TFC
01-26-2018, 01:29 PM
I imagine he'll have a day or two to get their stuff unpacked wherever they'll be living in Toronto. It appears his GF is fairly pregnant so she's probably not unpacking all those suitcases by herself

wynne
01-26-2018, 01:32 PM
FWIW, apparently only paid a 700k transfer fee for him

C.Ronaldo
01-26-2018, 01:39 PM
I imagine he'll have a day or two to get their stuff unpacked wherever they'll be living in Toronto. It appears his GF is fairly pregnant so she's probably not unpacking all those suitcases by herself

another Toronto Family lifestyle wins us over an international

pdogg
01-26-2018, 01:58 PM

another Toronto Family lifestyle wins us over an international

Hopefully a future CMNT/CWNT player?

Ajax TFC
01-26-2018, 02:03 PM
Hopefully a future CMNT/CWNT player?
Eh? Are we both talking about the 29 year old that's been capped 40 something times by the Dutch NT?

Red I
01-26-2018, 02:05 PM
Eh? Are we both talking about the 29 year old that's been capped 40 something times by the Dutch NT?

...talking bout his offspring

flatpicker
01-26-2018, 02:07 PM

Hey HEY! Come out and play!

:cool:

Ajax TFC
01-26-2018, 02:15 PM
Ah duh should have clued in by the /CWNT lol. My bad :drinking:

rydermike
01-26-2018, 02:25 PM
FWIW, apparently only paid a 700k transfer fee for him

That's pretty good. Do you have a link to the source?

Detroit_TFC
01-26-2018, 02:31 PM
Saw that 700K figure too, that is good business if true.

shwade
01-26-2018, 02:39 PM
None of our 3 DP's are going anywhere in the next 3-4 years. They are only getting better and they all deserve to be on DP contracts.

Bookmark my post. Come back to it next year.

Re Van der weil...this is an exciting signing. Should get us fairly far in CONCACAF.

notthesun
01-26-2018, 03:26 PM
Summarizing tweets from here: https://twitter.com/Comotevaok

Mac Allister's father and the Argentinos Juniors President were interviewed on Argentinian radio. His father confirmed that we bid $4.5 million for Mac Allister, says the club is not satisfied with that offer and are awaiting a new proposal. Their president said the offer appeared to be a good one, but not so much on the fine print (maybe they're looking for a greater sell-on fee?). His father says Mac Allister met with the President of TFC (I assume this is Bez, not Manning) and was very happy about our interest.

rydermike
01-26-2018, 03:54 PM
Larson says the $4.5 million offer is false

Additionally, the Toronto Sun has learned the Reds are interested in Argentine midfielder Alexis Mac Allister. However, reports out of Argentina stating the Reds have offered Argentinos Juniors $4.5 million for the 19-year-old are false, according to an informed source.
The Sun understands any potential deal for Mac Allister isn’t likely to occur until the summer or next year. As of now, nothing is close to being finalized.
The Argentine midfielder is one of many targets the Reds are chasing in South America.
http://torontosun.com/sports/soccer/mls/toronto-fc/toronto-fc-bid-for-ex-dutch-international-gregory-van-der-wiel

Areathrasher
01-26-2018, 04:21 PM
The Argentine midfielder is one of many targets the Reds are chasing in South America.

https://media.giphy.com/media/111ebonMs90YLu/200.gif

https://media.giphy.com/media/111ebonMs90YLu/200.gifhttps://i.giphy.com/media/111ebonMs90YLu/200.gif

mowe
01-26-2018, 06:34 PM
Raptors are playing at the ACC tonight. Van der Wiel will probably be courtside per the usual MLSE treatment.

Luanda
01-26-2018, 07:19 PM
Raptors are playing at the ACC tonight. Van der Wiel will probably be courtside per the usual MLSE treatment.

Rollerblades anyone?

Areathrasher
01-26-2018, 07:28 PM
He's in Amsterdam according to his Insta. Probably dropping off his pregnant wife before coming over. Similar to Mavinga and his wife last year.

OgtheDim
01-26-2018, 07:31 PM
Why be around for Utah when you can be at a Lakers game.

If he will be found, it will be in a box on Sunday evening.

KGH
01-26-2018, 07:50 PM
FWIW...his GF just posted on IG about getting a massage from a provider in Amsterdam after a day of travel. They might not be headed here today.

Defoe
01-26-2018, 07:57 PM
Beita is good but this is a huge upgrade considering our system. Vand Der Weil and Morrow, nice wing backs! Those FIFA 18 rankings are starting to look really good ;)

molenshtain
01-26-2018, 08:01 PM
Mac Allistair (I'm never going to get over that name) sounds much more like an Asad type of loan, not a transfer. Cheap (relatively), young and capable Argentine player given the opportunity to be put in the shop window with a season in MLS.

Van der Weil is very exciting. pleased my early prediction played out. I'll be telling everyone near me in my seats about it all season i suspect.

RealG-TFC
01-26-2018, 08:13 PM
Club America courting Jozy?

http://fulbox.com/2018/01/26/exclusiva-jozy-altidore-delantero-de-estados-unidos-seria-la-bomba-del-america-para-clausura-2018/

I don't see him moving, he seems to really like it here.

Bobo
01-26-2018, 08:46 PM
Beita is good but this is a huge upgrade considering our system. Vand Der Weil and Morrow, nice wing backs! Those FIFA 18 rankings are starting to look really good ;)

Think VDW is best suited in a four-back. Considering TFC didn't have a right-sided player who was, this is a quality signing.

Couchy81
01-26-2018, 09:35 PM

http://fulbox.com/2018/01/26/exclusiva-jozy-altidore-delantero-de-estados-unidos-seria-la-bomba-del-america-para-clausura-2018/

Haha nope. Not when Champions League and potential MLS dynasty is on the table.

molenshtain
01-26-2018, 10:53 PM
Metro has a huge report about MLS likely opening up a new TAM type mechanism with an eye towards focusing it on 18-21/22 year old players. Each team gets roughly 3 million. Not clear how many years that's spread over. It'll supposedly be implemented absolute earliest this summer, but likely next winter or the one after.

Atlanta already hedged their bets on this. They recently signed just the rights to this teenager from Argentina for millions, though they lose those rights if they don't sign him by the end of the summer. That plus the rumor that we're in for that Scottish Argentine kid makes me think it's coming very soon. Exciting news.

ryan
01-27-2018, 12:07 AM
I think there's definite legs to the U21 DP rule coming in. A few clubs seem to be hinting at or full out making moves in that direction. Exciting stuff.

TFC/Everton
01-27-2018, 12:14 AM
Metro has a huge report about MLS likely opening up a new TAM type mechanism with an eye towards focusing it on 18-21/22 year old players. Each team gets roughly 3 million. Not clear how many years that's spread over. It'll supposedly be implemented absolute earliest this summer, but likely next winter or the one after.

Atlanta already hedged their bets on this. They recently signed just the rights to this teenager from Argentina for millions, though they lose those rights if they don't sign him by the end of the summer. That plus the rumor that we're in for that Scottish Argentine kid makes me think it's coming very soon. Exciting news.

Link?

molenshtain
01-27-2018, 12:30 AM
Link?

https://www.metro.us/sports/new-mls-money-structure-will-help-teams-retain-star-players

Areathrasher
01-27-2018, 06:31 AM

Thats bollocks imo. America signed two strikers already this offseason and re-upped Oribe Peralta. No room upfront there for him.

rydermike
01-27-2018, 10:39 AM
3 flights into pearson from Amsterdam today (230,315,520) and 2 tomorrow (230,330).
What are the odds VdW is on any of them? :lol:

nonc
01-27-2018, 11:07 AM
My guess is he's in Netherlands for a day to sort some things, flies Sunday and has the medical Monday.

ensco
01-27-2018, 11:16 AM
3 flights into pearson from Amsterdam today (230,315,520) and 2 tomorrow (230,330).
What are the odds VdW is on any of them? :lol:

I'd wager a Dutch MNT player flies KLM. They land 520pm today (delayed) and 335pm tomorrow.

Calling all rollerbladers...

Ajax TFC
01-27-2018, 11:32 AM
Any airport employees here willing to risk their jobs and check the flight manifests for us? It's for a good cause :D

TFC/Everton
01-27-2018, 12:48 PM
https://www.metro.us/sports/new-mls-money-structure-will-help-teams-retain-star-players

Thanks! I suspect this was an idea MLS had before they decided on the additional $2.8 million in TAM. The article was written about 2 weeks before the new TAM funds were announced.

However, this could be an entirely new tool for teams. Interesting times ahead.

Joe Fire
01-27-2018, 01:00 PM
Hello All, First Post.
Honoured and passionate seasons ticket holder.
Now that "we are the champions," let's go for 2.
Okay enough nice, nice....
Why is Zavaleta on our team still? We let 33 go and kept 15. Really?
There must be something in the background that is not public knowledge for this to have happened.
Could be medical for 33 and or 15 is a favourite, friend or relative or sometime in or close to TFC management.
Does any one else not see that this man does not have the game sense lack of forsight to read the oncomong plays.
He trips over his feet, has no foot speed, panics when pressured and has little to no soccer skills whatsoever.
Yes he has made very sporadic defensive saves for us but, even our head coach new enough not to play him in the 2 most important games of the year.
Boys, we must get rid of the "weakest link."
Then, we had a fanatastic midfielder who is a topshelf player, creative and skillful player who caused nothing but trouble for our competition.
I'm speaking of Armando Cooper. Who we just let go! Why, why, why?
I'm hoping to see some new talent so we can another fresh game this December at BMO.

T.O TILL I DIE
01-27-2018, 01:44 PM
Hello All, First Post.
There must be something in the background that is not public knowledge for this to have happened.
Could be medical for 33 and or 15 is a favourite, friend or relative or sometime in or close to TFC management.
Does any one else not see that this man does not have the game sense lack of forsight to read the oncomong plays.
He trips over his feet, has no foot speed, panics when pressured and has little to no soccer skills whatsoever.
Yes he has made very sporadic defensive saves for us but, even our head coach new enough not to play him in the 2 most important games of the year.
Then, we had a fanatastic midfielder who is a topshelf player, creative and skillful player who caused nothing but trouble for our competition.
I'm hoping to see some new talent so we can another fresh game this December at BMO.

Armando Cooper was one of the weakest links. More times Cooper messed up than Zav IMO, last year i was hoping for AC to get canned and so where many others. Cooper was a ball hog who destroyed many attacking opportunities. Countless times yelling at BMO field for Cooper to, "pass the damn ball". Once VanDerWeil comes are defensive back line will be at the top if not the best in MLS so Zav shouldnt really be an issue. I think TFC managment knows what there doing, give Zav a shot if hes no good theres always the sunmer transfer window. As of now i wouldnt be worried about him effecting the team i think hes a solid player at times a very good MLS player when he wants to be and looks like a guy the team has great chem with.

rydermike
01-27-2018, 01:46 PM
Hello All, First Post.

To answer your poem lol,

We wanted to keep both Beitashour and Cooper but:
Beitashour was an unrestricted free agent and had the ability to sign with whoever he wanted. We made an offer, but LAFC offered more money and he went there.
Cooper they wanted to bring back on a slightly lower salary, but he declined and will likely sign in SA. He also wants playing time so he can make the Panama team for the World Cup and that was likely also a factor in his decision to not return to Toronto, as he would be a sub here.

Zavaleta was not a free agent, we still held his rights, he could only sign with us, so easy to re-sign him. He's Vanney's nephew to answer another point of yours, but that's not much of a factor. In the MLS, you always keep young domestics with potential rather than cutting them loose for nothing as they have value (intl slot wise and trade value)

oldtraffordPEI
01-27-2018, 01:50 PM
Speculation continues..

https://twitter.com/4totera/status/957314737989025792

rydermike
01-27-2018, 01:53 PM
Armando Cooper officially signs in Chile with Universidade

http://www.adnradio.cl/noticias/deportes/seleccionado-panameno-asoma-como-refuerzo-en-universidad-de-chile/20180125/nota/3700121.aspx

Luanda
01-27-2018, 01:55 PM
Speculation continues..

So Rollerblades to YYZ (5:20pm?)

T.O TILL I DIE
01-27-2018, 02:42 PM
Speculation continues..

Ouf bad time to tour our city rain, wind , cold. hopefully they show him pics of Toronto in the summer or something aha

notthesun
01-27-2018, 02:49 PM
https://twitter.com/GalindoPW/status/957338276255404032

Sounds like what I guessed earlier based on the comments from the president of Argentinos Juniors: they want a sell-on clause in the deal.

rydermike
01-27-2018, 03:12 PM
Speculation continues..

Well my instagram feed shows vanderwiel liked a photo of Demar Derozan in the OVO black and gold Raptors jersey 8 hours ago. Must have been the last thing he did before getting on the plane
https://www.instagram.com/p/Beb66I_B1tw/?hl=en&taken-by=slamonline

Given his post of Drake in his instagram story a couple of days ago, TFC just needs to get a OVO black and gold third kit (http://img.mp.itc.cn/upload/20161121/f6ada3146d834ce987a5749a5e88b109_th.jpeg) and VdW will sign for sure :lol:

portu
01-27-2018, 03:17 PM
https://twitter.com/GalindoPW/status/957338276255404032

Sounds like what I guessed earlier based on the comments from the president of Argentinos Juniors: they want a sell-on clause in the deal.
Meanwhile, Larson says it's all BS.

Wonder who's telling the truth here.

notthesun
01-27-2018, 03:25 PM
Could just be semantics... we could have offered $4.5 million in discussions but not actually submitted a formal bid.

Carter
01-27-2018, 05:23 PM
I know that he wouldn't be a dp because we have 3,what I meant is since he has dp level salary, maybe if we buy him down to $385,maybe he would still be only be charged $150 on the cap, since he's young dp salary pre-tam saving us 200k on tam. Realize that wasn't clear.
i hear you my friend, the reference to DP, is what creates confusion. In order to hit the 150 charge, he has to be considered a YDP, alas we have no DP slots available so I don’t see this being the case. Who knows until everything is released on the BIG REVEAL anyways, all speculation until then.

Jpexxx
01-27-2018, 06:59 PM
https://twitter.com/torontofc/status/957401426015281152

Did we know TFC had a keeper named Caleb Patterson in camp?

I assmue it's this dude?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caleb_Patterson-Sewell

Luanda
01-27-2018, 07:18 PM

I assmue it's this dude?

Bono is with the USMNT

reggie
01-27-2018, 07:33 PM

I assmue it's this dude?
no we didnt,how would we know that when most of the tfc jurnos are covering the team from there living room and getting the info from this site,lol:rolleyes:

Detroit_TFC
01-27-2018, 08:53 PM

I assmue it's this dude?

As part of the NASL meltdown, apparently both Cosmos and Jacksonville Armada granted their players free choice as to staying or going during this period of indecision. Officially NASL would relaunch in August if they continue to exist. Because of that, seeing players cropping up here and there, Caleb Patterson-Sewell might be looking for a short term deal as a back up. BTW, Miami FC kept all their players under contract and will play in NPSL, which is a May to August league (Jax playing in NPSL too, replacing their U-23 team which already played in NPSL).

OgtheDim
01-27-2018, 09:33 PM
no we didnt,how would we know that when most of the tfc jurnos are covering the team from there living room and getting the info from this site,lol:rolleyes:

Kloke is in California - which is more then we normally get down there. Usually the journos go to the Florida camp; as that camp is moved to Mexico, not sure if anybody will go.

portu
01-28-2018, 12:03 AM
Retweet

Blkndkr
01-28-2018, 01:25 AM
Buddy of mine who works at the airport sent me a message earlier; he saw the Dutchman come in on KLM tonight...

“Him and girlfriend with her dog and 7 large bags, they are likely here to stay.”

James17930
01-28-2018, 01:52 AM
Buddy of mine who works at the airport sent me a message earlier; he saw the Dutchman come in on KLM tonight...

“Him and girlfriend with her dog and 7 large bags, they are likely here to stay.”

Yeah, they wouldn't travel with that much stuff if they were just coming to check out the city.

Probably announce him on Monday.

shwade
01-28-2018, 01:53 AM
Speculation continues..

Dumb. You dont pack up all your bags and your pregnant wife just for a tour.

eb14mrc
01-28-2018, 10:40 AM
Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't this the same guy whose source very close to him at Juventus told him that Giovinco was absolutely not going to MLS when it was just a rumour?

Speculation continues..

ensco
01-28-2018, 10:45 AM
So what's the prize for the first guy that posts a pic of vdW in TO?

RealG-TFC
01-28-2018, 12:20 PM
Okay, now that I have solved my personal mystery I can lay off being a PI this morning and continue with my day. They are definitely in Toronto, probably the Four Seasons. First clue was the Eska water bottle from the wife/gf's IG story. The building on the left seems to be 88 Davenport Road and the two towers on the right are the Ramsden Place Apartments at 50 Hillsboro Avenue. The placement is inverted because of the mirror image. Thank you Google Streetview's 3D Function (https://www.google.ca/maps/@43.6716242,-79.3889906,122a,35y,334.15h,69.45t/data=!3m1!1e3).

https://imgur.com/GrS3Id1
https://i.imgur.com/GrS3Id1.jpg

DinamoTFC
01-28-2018, 12:43 PM
And I think she might be wearing a leafs sweater

flatpicker
01-28-2018, 12:45 PM
Okay, now that I have solved my personal mystery I can lay off being a PI this morning and continue with my day. They are definitely in Toronto, probably the Four Seasons. First clue was the Eska water bottle from the wife/gf's IG story. The building on the left seems to be 88 Davenport Road and the two towers on the right are the Ramsden Place Apartments at 50 Hillsboro Avenue. The placement is inverted because of the mirror image. Thank you Google Streetview's 3D Function (https://www.google.ca/maps/@43.6716242,-79.3889906,122a,35y,334.15h,69.45t/data=!3m1!1e3).

And I think she might be wearing a leafs sweater

https://ichef.bbci.co.uk/news/660/cpsprodpb/153B4/production/_89046968_89046967.jpg

sn0re
01-28-2018, 12:51 PM
https://ichef.bbci.co.uk/news/660/cpsprodpb/153B4/production/_89046968_89046967.jpg

I love how we have our own RPB detectives!

Richard
01-28-2018, 01:33 PM
So what's the prize for the first guy that posts a pic of vdW in TO?

A pair of these bad boys. :)

https://ae01.alicdn.com/kf/HTB1BRJHKFXXXXXUXXXXq6xXFXXX2/12-qx56-professional-slalom-skates-roller-blades-roller.jpg

rydermike
01-28-2018, 01:49 PM
A pair of these bad boys. :)

https://ae01.alicdn.com/kf/HTB1BRJHKFXXXXXUXXXXq6xXFXXX2/12-qx56-professional-slalom-skates-roller-blades-roller.jpg

I'll have to keep instagram open to win these lol

BenRhodes23
01-28-2018, 02:05 PM
He's wearing a red hat on Instagram and Mavinga is liking his posts. Just waiting on official word. What a signing this could be

Initial B
01-28-2018, 02:16 PM
From the perspective of that picture, it looks like she's on around the 10th floor of the Four Seasons on Bay Street.

69Chevy396
01-28-2018, 02:22 PM
https://www.lequipe.fr/Football/Actualites/Transferts-gregory-van-der-wiel-signe-a-toronto/870419

ensco
01-28-2018, 02:25 PM
https://www.lequipe.fr/Football/Actualites/Transferts-gregory-van-der-wiel-signe-a-toronto/870419

Says he is taking a big pay cut. For what it's worth.

Luanda
01-28-2018, 02:38 PM

Probably because, "beyond a new challenge", he was also looking for "un nouveau cadre de vie pour la naissance prochaine de son premier enfant."

rydermike
01-28-2018, 02:42 PM
So if we had to rank our all-time Dutch players, hopefully he comes out on top

1) Gregory Van der Weil
2) Danny Koevermans
3) Nick Soolsma
4) Javier Martina
5) Elbekay Bouchiba

Don Julio
01-28-2018, 02:45 PM
From the perspective of that picture, it looks like she's on around the 10th floor of the Four Seasons on Bay Street.

As long as we're being super-creepy I suspect she was in the Fitness Centre on the 8th floor: https://www.fourseasons.com/toronto/services_and_amenities/fitness_facilities/

Shway
01-28-2018, 02:54 PM
As long as we're being super-creepy I suspect she was in the Fitness Centre on the 8th floor: https://www.fourseasons.com/toronto/services_and_amenities/fitness_facilities/

I saw her in the elevator, and she hit 11....probably in the executive suites between 1125-1130. :facepalm:

RedsYNWA
01-28-2018, 03:06 PM
WTF happened to his career? It seems like the last 2 years since he left PSG he hardly played

OgtheDim
01-28-2018, 03:27 PM
So if we had to rank our all-time Dutch players......

The PTSD tells me to wait until he plays.

Ajax TFC
01-28-2018, 03:30 PM
Plus he will have to make an impact to rank ahead of the Koev

rydermike
01-28-2018, 03:32 PM

that's why I wrote hopefully he comes out on top by the end of his time here. Not saying he will, but hopefully

ensco
01-28-2018, 03:51 PM
Probably because, "beyond a new challenge", he was also looking for "un nouveau cadre de vie pour la naissance prochaine de son premier enfant."

Makes sense

Stress
01-28-2018, 03:52 PM

Could just be referring to the diminishing transfer fees.

SirBobSaget
01-28-2018, 05:04 PM
Could just be referring to the diminishing transfer fees.

Says he's taking a pay cut and the transfer fee is less than 1 million.

Article also mentions that despite not being one of the DPs his salary will be above the maximum. This confused a poster in the comments who didn't understand how this is possible ... you don't want to go down that rabbit hole French poster.

Smokecell
01-28-2018, 05:20 PM
Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't this the same guy whose source very close to him at Juventus told him that Giovinco was absolutely not going to MLS when it was just a rumour?

At one point Anthony seemed like a promising source of TFC related info but has since turned to hackjob reporting and smear campaigns of his colleagues and/or anyone who isn't a friend of his in the CSA. Lots of sour grapes for not being part of the "inner circle" of TFC beat reporters. Not saying I don't believe his sources - he definitely has some - but I don't think he is or ever will be the best source of TFC related news. Always going to be a step behind anything non-CPL.

Areathrasher
01-28-2018, 07:00 PM
They are at the Raptors game.

James17930
01-28-2018, 07:11 PM
I'm actually thinking it's possible that he might not go to L.A. this week. The team is coming back to T.O. on Feb. 3rd, right? He might hang around Toronto getting his new life in order and then start practicing with them when they're back here, then go down to Mexico.

Either way, I also have a feeling Hasler is probably locked in to start the first CCL game. It's probably too soon to just throw vdW into the mix, especially with the how the weather is probably going to be for those two games.

RealG-TFC
01-28-2018, 07:12 PM
They are at the Raptors game.

https://media.giphy.com/media/rl0FOxdz7CcxO/giphy.gif

rydermike
01-28-2018, 07:21 PM
https://twitter.com/djcuse/status/957769597716869121

Areathrasher
01-28-2018, 07:24 PM
https://twitter.com/djcuse/status/957769597716869121

https://i.imgur.com/rPNCqww.jpg

rydermike
01-28-2018, 07:24 PM
Van der Wiel new instagram story
https://i.imgur.com/WLvbWvC.png

BenRhodes23
01-28-2018, 07:25 PM
Vid of the Raptors game on his Instagram story... Official announcement incoming I hope

notthesun
01-28-2018, 08:00 PM
https://twitter.com/WheelerTSN/status/957774177406242820

Pretty much official now based on precedent.

molenshtain
01-28-2018, 08:14 PM
Univision reporting we were willing to part with Jozy for 4 million but America balked at the figure. I highly doubt any of that happened but whatever.

CBTFC
01-28-2018, 08:29 PM
Univision reporting we were willing to part with Jozy for 4 million but America balked at the figure. I highly doubt any of that happened but whatever.

Yeah Im calling BS that we would only want 4 million for Jozy, lol.

In the current worldwide FIFA market, with the price tags on some guys, Jozy is at his prime and coming off a championship winning season/performance. He's worth 10-20 million, minimum.

BenRhodes23
01-28-2018, 08:32 PM

In the current worldwide FIFA market, with the price tags on some guys, Jozy is at his prime and coming off a championship winning season/performance. He's worth 10-20 million, minimum.

Not sure about 20 but around 10 at least

ensco
01-28-2018, 08:38 PM
I don't think Jozy's market value is $10-20M, given the contract he is on. He makes big money and is an FA in two years.

I hate to say it but I believe the Jozy rumour, or at least I think they would entertain serious discussions for him. He is at his maximum value right now, and has an injury history.

This is the kind of thing that makes Bez' job so tough. He has to start managing through a looming transition in two years (all the core guys are starting to age out and will be FAs then), and the league is completely changing in terms of roster construction strategies. TFC won't just be able to reload on the next Bradey/Altidore/Gio threesome - Leiweke is long gone, that level of spend is not justifiable a second time around, and the league will be full of teams that have younger, effective DPs.

I'm glad nothing came of it, though. As a fan - let's enjoy 2018 with these guys, then start the reload for real.

reggie
01-28-2018, 08:51 PM
Toronto, Ontario (https://www.instagram.com/explore/locations/212991559/toronto-ontario/)

https://instagram.fyto1-1.fna.fbcdn.net/vp/3d66013496ca4363cee8474f34aa29df/5AE89251/t51.2885-15/e35/26869461_405073633282633_602923866880212992_n.jpg

Toronto, Ontario (https://www.instagram.com/explore/locations/212991559/toronto-ontario/)

Oldtimer
01-28-2018, 09:15 PM
I love how MLSE can leverage their NBA team like this.

Ajax TFC
01-28-2018, 09:18 PM
Selling Jozy for 4 million doesn't make sense unless they think they can make better use of the DP spot. A transfer fee of less than they paid for him doesn't translate into allocation money, so from a roster building/salary budget standpoint it makes no difference if they sell him or lose him as a free agent. It's not inconceivable that they could be looking to bring in a new DP striker, maybe even a young DP, but I would be wary of the risk of replacing a solid vet with lots left in the tank with a young player.

69Chevy396
01-28-2018, 09:26 PM
Great signing. TFC may have the best defender in MLS for two years.

ensco
01-28-2018, 10:03 PM
Selling Jozy for 4 million doesn't make sense unless they think they can make better use of the DP spot. A transfer fee of less than they paid for him doesn't translate into allocation money, so from a roster building/salary budget standpoint it makes no difference if they sell him or lose him as a free agent. It's not inconceivable that they could be looking to bring in a new DP striker, maybe even a young DP, but I would be wary of the risk of replacing a solid vet with lots left in the tank with a young player.

Jozy's transfer fee was zero (although Defoe's was $10M - so I suppose you could make the case that he cost something, but it sure as heck ain't close to $10M - both of them were damaged goods at the time of the swap)

Transfer values are hugely impacted by contract length

I don't know that they are exactly "looking", but I think they'd have to think about any serious inquiry.

sn0re
01-28-2018, 10:44 PM
People have been messaging VdW on instagram and he is replying! It's a clear indicator that he is going to be with the teamhttps://imgur.com/xtqGGPI!!!

(Source: r/tfc)

https://i.imgur.com/xtqGGPI.png

molenshtain
01-28-2018, 10:49 PM
*Que restless TFC fans overloading his message box*

James17930
01-28-2018, 10:53 PM
That message is correct – so far he has been an excellent addiction for this team ... or for us, anyway :lol:

Ajax TFC
01-28-2018, 11:08 PM
Jozy's transfer fee was zero (although Defoe's was $10M - so I suppose you could make the case that he cost something, but it sure as heck ain't close to $10M - both of them were damaged goods at the time of the swap)

Transfer values are hugely impacted by contract length

I don't know that they are exactly "looking", but I think they'd have to think about any serious inquiry.
We landed Jozy despite the league wanting him to play south of the border by going through the allocation order because we had the $10 million asset Sunderland wanted in return. I don't think the league is going to forget about that when calculating how much allocation we should get for selling him.

No doubt every player is for sale for the right price. But you don't put a price tag on one of your most valuable assets unless you have a very clear vision of how you're going to replace that player.

If you come along and offer to buy my daily driver off me for fair market value, I'm not going to take that unless I already had my eye on a new car that I could turn around and buy before I have to make the next commute to work. Otherwise you're going to have to offer me enough for it to make it worth the headache of scrambling to find something else to drive to work. Banking the money from selling the car and not replacing it isn't really an option.

MightyDM
01-28-2018, 11:36 PM

chelsea was prepared to bid for Peter Crouch at 37. Jozy could b seriously effective for a decent Premier League team. That’s worth something considerable.

Auzzy
01-29-2018, 02:30 AM
That message is correct – so far he has been an excellent addiction for this team ... or for us, anyway :lol:

That's gold! :D

Canary10
01-29-2018, 09:57 AM
I love how MLSE can leverage their NBA team like this.

Interesting that 90% of the time it's the Raptors and not the Leafs they are leveraging. Shows the global reach of basketball versus hockey. And the NHL threw in the garbage the one chance they had to make some inroads globally (Olympics obviously).

ag futbol
01-29-2018, 10:37 AM
Interesting that 90% of the time it's the Raptors and not the Leafs they are leveraging. Shows the global reach of basketball versus hockey. And the NHL threw in the garbage the one chance they had to make some inroads globally (Olympics obviously).
Agreed completely. And not to go completely OT but... I'll always remember the Hot -Not NHL-NBA SI cover which appeared back in 94. The NHL (supposedly) had everything going for it and the NBA was in the dumps. It's all been one-way since that time, in the opposite direction.

Syndey Crosby's pay packet would make him roughly the 108th best player in the NBA today. Notwithstanding different team dynamics (basketball is far more concentrated in terms of the importance of an individual vs. other team sports) it's clear who is growing and who is not.

portu
01-29-2018, 10:57 AM
I think it's a little bit of that and a little bit of the fact that basketball is the only sport where u can pretty much sit on the playing field during the action. Like it's the only time where u can overtly flex on ppl with ur seat at a sporting event.

OgtheDim
01-29-2018, 11:12 AM
With the Miami announcement today, I suspect any incoming player signing to be done tomorrow.

jabbronies
01-29-2018, 12:07 PM
I hope Gregory is coming here to play football and not rub shoulders with stars:
https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football/3572427/fenerbahce-gregory-van-der-wiel-justin-bieber-floyd-mayweather/

TFC Tifoso
01-29-2018, 12:36 PM
this would be a great pick up!.....can wait for TFC to officially announce the signing of Rose Bertram!

RedsMan
01-29-2018, 01:44 PM
How safe is it to assume any transfer fee can be amortized over the length of a contract? This part of the 2017 roster rules seems to suggest otherwise:

Special Discovery Players

In general, the total amount of the acquisition cost of a player is charged against the salary budget in the year in which it is paid. For one player on a club's roster (a "Special Discovery Player"), a club is able to amortize the total amount of acquisition costs (up to $500,000) over the term of the player's contract.

Special Discovery Players must be 27-years-old or younger during the league year under consideration.
There may be no more than one Special Discovery Player per number of clubs in the league (i.e., 22 total Special Discovery Players in 2017).
A club may have more than one Special Discovery Player on its Senior Roster (https://www.mlssoccer.com/league/official-rules/mls-roster-rules-and-regulations#senior-roster) at any given time if the club received the additional player(s) via trade. However, the Club trading the Special Discovery Player may not sign a new Special Discovery Player until the traded Special Discovery Player's original SPA expires, the player's contract is terminated, or all the amortized acquisition costs are accounted for in the Budget Charge.
Targeted Allocation Money (https://www.mlssoccer.com/league/official-rules/mls-roster-rules-and-regulations#targeted-allocation-money) may be used on a Special Discovery Player if he qualifies.

ManUtd4ever
01-29-2018, 01:54 PM
The pics from the Raptor game all but seal the deal, lol. Very exciting addition!

Ajax TFC
01-29-2018, 03:15 PM
How safe is it to assume any transfer fee can be amortized over the length of a contract? This part of the 2017 roster rules seems to suggest otherwise:

Special Discovery Players

In general, the total amount of the acquisition cost of a player is charged against the salary budget in the year in which it is paid. For one player on a club's roster (a "Special Discovery Player"), a club is able to amortize the total amount of acquisition costs (up to $500,000) over the term of the player's contract.

Special Discovery Players must be 27-years-old or younger during the league year under consideration.
There may be no more than one Special Discovery Player per number of clubs in the league (i.e., 22 total Special Discovery Players in 2017).
A club may have more than one Special Discovery Player on its Senior Roster (https://www.mlssoccer.com/league/official-rules/mls-roster-rules-and-regulations#senior-roster) at any given time if the club received the additional player(s) via trade. However, the Club trading the Special Discovery Player may not sign a new Special Discovery Player until the traded Special Discovery Player's original SPA expires, the player's contract is terminated, or all the amortized acquisition costs are accounted for in the Budget Charge.
Targeted Allocation Money (https://www.mlssoccer.com/league/official-rules/mls-roster-rules-and-regulations#targeted-allocation-money) may be used on a Special Discovery Player if he qualifies.

In the case of VdW it wouldn't make much difference either way if it's a 2 year deal like it's rumored. They can use next year's TAM now if they need to. So it's either pay half the transfer fee now and half next year or all of it now with both years TAM available

molenshtain
01-29-2018, 04:23 PM

Almost all transfer fees are amortized. MLS has just set it so that the transfer fee is amortized over the course of the contract, with that yearly fee going towards the players cap hit.

James17930
01-30-2018, 09:58 AM
The announcement has got to be today, right?

Areathrasher
01-30-2018, 10:12 AM
Almost all transfer fees are amortized.

Yes, for clubs in their yearly financials.

MLS has just set it so that the transfer fee is amortized over the course of the contract, with that yearly fee going towards the players cap hit.

Not entirely sure given publicly available evidence. How was Bradley's $10M fee dealt with? He's just got a straight up regular DP budget charge.

I think when fees are small/under DP threshold then they get added to a budget charge but how they are added depends on TAM/Special Discovery player/Regular Discovery player.

Mike_S
01-30-2018, 10:19 AM
I think it's a little bit of that and a little bit of the fact that basketball is the only sport where u can pretty much sit on the playing field during the action. Like it's the only time where u can overtly flex on ppl with ur seat at a sporting event.

Wasn't the best example of this when Defoe and his mother were sitting courtside and Lebron came over to his mother and said "tell your son Toronto is a great city" or something to that effect? :D

CBTFC
01-30-2018, 10:21 AM
Hatem Ben Arfa is feeling pretty unsettled @ PSG, still just 30 years old...could he be a TAM-able winger for us? How much Garber bucks do we have anyways, anyone keeping track?

A Stick
01-30-2018, 11:09 AM
Hatem Ben Arfa is feeling pretty unsettled @ PSG, still just 30 years old...could he be a TAM-able winger for us? How much Garber bucks do we have anyways, anyone keeping track? Hatem Ben Arfa has been unsettled at every club he's been at. Great skills but I don't want him near TFC.

PopePouri
01-30-2018, 12:37 PM
Hatem Ben Arfa has been unsettled at every club he's been at. Great skills but I don't want him near TFC.

He's not really a winger. More someone who likes to cut in and create. Don't know if that's what Vanney wants though.

19Barrett19
01-30-2018, 12:45 PM
He would be the best 1v1 dribbler in MLS hands down

burlington Red
01-30-2018, 01:18 PM
He's not really a winger. More someone who likes to cut in and create. Don't know if that's what Vanney wants though.

he can play on the wing if needed, did it at Newcastle many times. Equal parts brilliance and immense frustration with this lad though. When he's hot he's nearly unplayable but when he's not he's a liability. He'd defo score some wonder goals, but he could be more hassle than he's worth, certainly with the team ethic we have here.

portu
01-30-2018, 01:35 PM
He would fit the mould of the type of attacker they want to add. The character issues are what's ultimately concerning about him.

wynne
01-30-2018, 02:39 PM
According to a source, Josh Kloke says VDW’s medicals are done, deal is 99% complete

portu
01-30-2018, 04:51 PM
https://twitter.com/JogaBonito_USA/status/958455243863404545

Chilean International Felipe Gutierrez reportedly set to join an MLS club after contract termination with Real Betis following 2017 loan at Internacional.

Three things: (1) Totera tweets suggested that if Argentinian player didn't pan out there was a Chilean player they would go after
(2) Kurt Larson article said TFC scouted Brazil this off-season
(3) Real Betis has terminated a contract for us before (Damien Perquis)

Auzzy
01-30-2018, 05:58 PM
I've watched some of Tim Kübel highlights, he's really good with both feet. He also seems to assist and score quite a bit for his position. I know that youth & college play often doesn't translate well to MLS, but he could turn out to be a great pick. Having him, Morrow, Hasler, and of course van der Wiel gives us a ton of quality at FB or wing (depending on our formation).

reggie
01-30-2018, 07:12 PM
i wonder who will sit front court tonight.

RedsMan
01-30-2018, 07:35 PM
Almost all transfer fees are amortized. MLS has just set it so that the transfer fee is amortized over the course of the contract, with that yearly fee going towards the players cap hit.
Source(s)?

wynne
01-30-2018, 08:36 PM
https://twitter.com/JogaBonito_USA/status/958455243863404545

Chilean International Felipe Gutierrez reportedly set to join an MLS club after contract termination with Real Betis following 2017 loan at Internacional.

Three things: (1) Totera tweets suggested that if Argentinian player didn't pan out there was a Chilean player they would go after
(2) Kurt Larson article said TFC scouted Brazil this off-season
(3) Real Betis has terminated a contract for us before (Damien Perquis)
Apparently he’s connected to SKC

StokeciTFC
01-31-2018, 10:39 AM
Beginning to get a bit antsy about the VdW deal. Nothing official yet unless i’m Mistaken?

TFC/Everton
01-31-2018, 10:48 AM
Not good news on the van der wiel front.

http://www.blogcagliaricalcio1920.net/notizie/calciomercato/14265/il-retroscena-van-der-wiel-via-senza-permesso--in-ballo-un-milione-possibile-richiesta-squalifica-alla-fifa-da-parte-del-cagliari

ag futbol
01-31-2018, 10:52 AM
^ Meh. Little bit of posturing, i’d Think

T.O TILL I DIE
01-31-2018, 10:59 AM
VDW just instagram storied a picture of the city and a little icon that says the 6ix .... hes signing dont be worried guys

James17930
01-31-2018, 10:59 AM
If all it takes is more money, MLSE will pay it.

rydermike
01-31-2018, 11:03 AM
https://i.imgur.com/fShXm6b_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&fidelity=medium

Even Michael Bradley is following him on Instagram

reggie
01-31-2018, 11:12 AM
i wonder if he pulled a larin?

TFC/Everton
01-31-2018, 11:25 AM
If all it takes is more money, MLSE will pay it.

Right, but there is a salary cap.

Canary10
01-31-2018, 11:35 AM
Let's hope the snow doesn't scare him away!

Ajax TFC
01-31-2018, 12:19 PM
Let's hope the snow doesn't scare him away!
I think he's okay with it!
https://imgur.com/xebmDJphttps://i.imgur.com/xebmDJp.jpg
[edit: apologies for the massive image size. No idea how to change that]

Cas87
01-31-2018, 12:26 PM
Looks like he was in the parking lot at the Training Ground. Good Sign.

I think he's okay with it!
https://imgur.com/xebmDJphttps://i.imgur.com/xebmDJp.jpg
[edit: apologies for the massive image size. No idea how to change that]

Captain
01-31-2018, 01:15 PM
I know we have a solid team but margins between us and the other top teams are very thin. Every other team seems to be getting better with their recent signings. We have to sign replacements for Cheyrou, Beita & Cooper. I don't see any of the young guys replacing them.

vdW is a great replacement for Beita but somethings up if it's taking this long to announce. Maybe he didn't pass the physical or is holding out for more money.

I really want to see us make a deep run in CCL (like win it). We need a couple of great signings!

ensco
01-31-2018, 01:17 PM
^Everybody breathe.

Transfer certificates take days.

rydermike
01-31-2018, 01:19 PM
vdW is a great replacement for Beita but somethings up if it's taking this long to announce. Maybe he didn't pass the physical or is holding out for more money.

As everything seems, looks like the only sticking point might be with Cagliari and not with us or VdW, but even other deals take long. Look how long Neymar to PSG and Coutinho to Barca took.

Cas87
01-31-2018, 01:20 PM
^Everybody breathe.

Transfer certificates take days.

I agree.

Plus, its obvious now that they want to give VdW a little time to acclimate himself, and our pre-season schedule this year allows for that (the team is back on Saturday).

Probably be announced Friday or Saturday and he'll go out with everyone to Mexico.

Canary10
01-31-2018, 01:43 PM
I know we have a solid team but margins between us and the other top teams are very thin. Every other team seems to be getting better with their recent signings. We have to sign replacements for Cheyrou, Beita & Cooper. I don't see any of the young guys replacing them.

I really want to see us make a deep run in CCL (like win it). We need a couple of great signings!

The margin was actually pretty effing large.

deltox
01-31-2018, 01:43 PM
im hearing its done.

not done done until we see him holding the shirt though

leafsman
01-31-2018, 01:49 PM
We had the best season ever and lost just 1 starter who appears to have been upgraded.

Shway
01-31-2018, 01:53 PM
Point is teams around us are strengthening massively. The reality in MLS, if you don't strengthen you can go from the best to worst. Not saying we have the team to do that.... Its just the reality that we've lost some of our sweet privileges (Cooper, Cheyrou, Raheem) on top of losing a starter and we haven't really replaced them. I trust management for all their decisions, except for the Spencer one.

C.Ronaldo
01-31-2018, 01:56 PM
We had the best season ever and lost just 1 starter who appears to have been upgraded.

we won alot of games with our bench though.

TrebleMaker
01-31-2018, 03:24 PM
Point is teams around us are strengthening massively. The reality in MLS, if you don't strengthen you can go from the best to worst. Not saying we have the team to do that.... Its just the reality that we've lost some of our sweet privileges (Cooper, Cheyrou, Raheem) on top of losing a starter and we haven't really replaced them. I trust management for all their decisions, except for the Spencer one.

The winning formula is there, outside of one massive addition of Vazquez last year to replace Will Johnson, not much was done and it didn't need to.....much like this year.
VDV for Beita looks like a positive replacement....Cooper didn't fit the Vanney's style of play, so hoping one of our younger guys step up (Chapman?) Cheyrou was a leader, more like a coach....that is tough to find, he will be sorely missed and of course so will Raheem Edwards who stepped up large last year....have to trust the system and the coaching which was also tops in the league last year.

Cas87
01-31-2018, 03:33 PM
The winning formula is there, outside of one massive addition of Vazquez last year to replace Will Johnson, not much was done and it didn't need to.....much like this year.
VDV for Beita looks like a positive replacement....Cooper didn't fit the Vanney's style of play, so hoping one of our younger guys step up (Chapman?) Cheyrou was a leader, more like a coach....that is tough to find, he will be sorely missed and of course so will Raheem Edwards who stepped up large last year....have to trust the system and the coaching which was also tops in the league last year.

I have to agree with the general sentiment that we need to see what the young guys will look like, along with VDW, in our system.

I am beginning to think we got a pretty good player in Kubel from the Draft (push more so to the defending that winger side with him). Hasler has already shown he can play in our system and Chapman and Fraser are high-end Canadian prospects.

Lets give it a little time to see how everyone meshes currently and if changes are needed, then its 'in Bez we Trust'.

OgtheDim
01-31-2018, 03:41 PM
The level of panic when 2018 results are not as smooth as 2017 results is going to be EPIC!

shwade
01-31-2018, 03:50 PM
The level of panic when 2018 results are not as smooth as 2017 results is going to be EPIC!

Lol just wait until we draw/lose our first game.

Hamilton_Red
01-31-2018, 04:12 PM

It's a crisis right now. We haven't won a game since December 9th and don't even ask when we last won a game on the road?

Ben - D.O.W.
01-31-2018, 04:19 PM
It's a crisis right now. We haven't won a game since December 9th and don't even ask when we last won a game on the road?

Yikes - you gotta go back another 6 weeks to the win in Jersey. Talk about free falling.

Dv23
01-31-2018, 04:38 PM
Any info on why Mavinga is in Dubai (according to his Instagram story)? A little concerning.

I'm also holding out hope that the reason we are taking our time on the VDW announcement is because we're also waiting on a second player who we will announce together with VDW at a press conference. Mac Allister, perhaps? :rolleyes:

OgtheDim
01-31-2018, 04:39 PM

I give it about 15 minutes into the Colorado first leg.

rydermike
01-31-2018, 04:51 PM
Any info on why Mavinga is in Dubai (according to his Instagram story)? A little concerning.

Maybe its an old post....the last picture in his story shows a screenshot, but shows his phone is connected to T-Mobile, which isn't in the UAE?

Ajax TFC
01-31-2018, 06:07 PM

I'm also holding out hope that the reason we are taking our time on the VDW announcement is because we're also waiting on a second player who we will announce together with VDW at a press conference. Mac Allister, perhaps? :rolleyes:

I'd like to think that we've moved past needing to hold press conferences to hype up new signings. Only thing they're good for is preparing the new signings for the low quality of questions that our journalists ask. In all seriousness though, was there a press conference when they signed VV? I legit can't remember. If there was, you could be right

TFC/Everton
01-31-2018, 07:06 PM
I'd like to think that we've moved past needing to hold press conferences to hype up new signings. Only thing they're good for is preparing the new signings for the low quality of questions that our journalists ask. In all seriousness though, was there a press conference when they signed VV? I legit can't remember. If there was, you could be right

"I'd like to think that we've moved past needing to hold press conferences to hype up new signings." Why wouldn't they want to hold a press conference? If they don't hold a press conference, they should seriously fire their media advisor.

rydermike
01-31-2018, 07:09 PM

At least they're better than the Chicago Fire reporters. Still can't believe the World Cup question for Schwiensteiger

ensco
01-31-2018, 07:21 PM
Was Bez quietly shopping Jozy?

https://twitter.com/ericgomez86/status/958841011328954369

Red CB Toronto
01-31-2018, 07:23 PM
Was Bez quietly shopping Jozy?

https://twitter.com/ericgomez86/status/958841011328954369

I truely believe if this was going on, Kurt would have been their front and centre with the story. He never leaves a stone unturned in chasing down the story.

OgtheDim
01-31-2018, 07:29 PM
That tweet looks like about 5 views from 5 people not directly involved rolled into one story. There's a bit of smoke there somewhere but the most important thing was - not enough money for either Jozy or the team to consider.

Oh...and no way this management brings in Quintero.

portu
01-31-2018, 07:29 PM
I truely believe if this was going on, Kurt would have been their front and centre with the story. He never leaves a stone unturned in chasing down the story.
LMAO

This is a good joke

ag futbol
01-31-2018, 07:33 PM
The local guys are far too comfortable with management to print something like that, even if they did know.

It took years for anyone to question Mo Johnston FFS and he was the definition of a useless manager.

reggie
01-31-2018, 07:36 PM
LMAO

This is a good joke
from his living room and after reading this site,maybe he will get to bottom of this.come on TFC jurnos i need another ted kubal article:drinking:

ensco
01-31-2018, 07:44 PM
No need to turn this into a referendum on local journos.

They are generally very good (Molinaro is the best imho) but I wouldn’t expect any of them to have the Mexican sources you’d need on a story like this. If it is a story.

The guy who posted that writes about Liga MX for ESPN . He is no random blogger.

It sorta kinda makes sense to me. Much as I dislike it as a fan.

James17930
01-31-2018, 07:52 PM
I don't know about this.

Maybe some teams were asking about Jozy, so Bez simply replied, or something. Why would they actively shop him?

portu
01-31-2018, 07:53 PM

They are generally very good (Molinaro is the best imho) but I wouldn’t expect any of them to have the Mexican sources you’d need on a story like this. If it is a story.

The guy who posted that writes about Liga MX for ESPN . He is no random blogger.

Honestly, they should be called out a bit. They've been lacklustre the last couple years.

ensco
01-31-2018, 07:56 PM
Honestly, they should be called out a bit. They've been lacklustre the last couple years.

Disagree. They give us solid coverage, in a very tough world for sports journalism. I am grateful.

For me, Molinaro and Davidson are great. Larson seems too close to the team sometimes, but he has passion. Relying on mgmt, that is a function of the immaturity of the beat.

portu
01-31-2018, 08:09 PM
Disagree. They give us solid coverage, in a very tough world for sports journalism. I am grateful.

For me, Molinaro and Davidson are great. Larson seems too close to the team sometimes, but he has passion. Relying on mgmt, that is a function of the immaturity of the beat.
That’s fair enough. They just all seem so close with management that breaking stories like Jozy being shopped around is too much for ppl not named Gennaro, Totera or Kloke (and we’re all familiar with the reliability of the two former).

I think there was a time when they were excellent though perhaps the best set of journos in the league. Though now I’m getting way off topic.

69Chevy396
01-31-2018, 08:18 PM
Ummm. Isn’t today the deadline for european transfers? Gregory VDM?

BeachTory
01-31-2018, 08:34 PM
Ummm. Isn’t today the deadline for european transfers? Gregory VDM?

For many European leagues, jan. 31 is the incoming deadline, true. MLS incoming transfer window wide open for a while yet.

OgtheDim
01-31-2018, 08:51 PM
Mavinga is.....in California

https://twitter.com/torontofc/status/958878659451830272

notthesun
01-31-2018, 09:01 PM
I don't get what our motivation would be to shop Jozy though. He obviously wants to be here, and more importantly we're about to go all in to win CCL. Like, it would be maybe the worst possible time to sell him.

Unless we had a move for, I dunno, Balotelli lined up and ready to go to replace him I don't see the logic, regardless of what money is being offered. Doesn't make sense to sell our best big-game player at this time.

Ajax TFC
01-31-2018, 09:10 PM
"I'd like to think that we've moved past needing to hold press conferences to hype up new signings." Why wouldn't they want to hold a press conference? If they don't hold a press conference, they should seriously fire their media advisor.
Idk, maybe I just associate press conferences with big moves that are supposed to turn things around and create a bunch of hype. I think a press release with a picture of him holding up a TFC jersey (with a number;)) saying they signed him should be sufficient. Same with any other signings they make. Or maybe I just don't like making new signings face the same drivel from the local reporters. IE:

"Tell me about all the great things you heard about MLS and toronto to make you want to sign here"
"tell me about high your opinion of the league is"
"tell me about how everyone you know wants to come here"
"tell me the names of all the famous people you talked to before making the decision to come here"
"you played in the same league as Jozy for a little while. Tell me about how great your relationship is with him. Also tell me how great of a player he was when you faced him"
"did Drake play a key role in your decision to come here?"

And sadly I could go on. I'd rather the players just get to camp ASAP to get ready for the CCL

69Chevy396
01-31-2018, 09:24 PM
For many European leagues, jan. 31 is the incoming deadline, true. MLS incoming transfer window wide open for a while yet.
Thanks

69Chevy396
01-31-2018, 09:27 PM
I don't get what our motivation would be to shop Jozy though. He obviously wants to be here, and more importantly we're about to go all in to win CCL. Like, it would be maybe the worst possible time to sell him.

Unless we had a move for, I dunno, Balotelli lined up and ready to go to replace him I don't see the logic, regardless of what money is being offered. Doesn't make sense to sell our best big-game player at this time.
If Jose leaves I hope we miss the playoffs. It would be profoundly stupid.

ManUtd4ever
01-31-2018, 09:31 PM
Idk, maybe I just associate press conferences with big moves that are supposed to turn things around and create a bunch of hype. I think a press release with a picture of him holding up a TFC jersey (with a number;)) saying they signed him should be sufficient. Same with any other signings they make. Or maybe I just don't like making new signings face the same drivel from the local reporters. IE:

"Tell me about all the great things you heard about MLS and toronto to make you want to sign here"
"tell me about high your opinion of the league is"
"tell me about how everyone you know wants to come here"
"tell me the names of all the famous people you talked to before making the decision to come here"
"you played in the same league as Jozy for a little while. Tell me about how great your relationship is with him. Also tell me how great of a player he was when you faced him"
"did Drake play a key role in your decision to come here?"

And sadly I could go on. I'd rather the players just get to camp ASAP to get ready for the CCL

You pretty much nailed it, lol. I for one like hearing foreign athletes praise the city, organization, supporters, etc., even if the responses are somewhat contrived.

Ajax TFC
01-31-2018, 09:59 PM
You pretty much nailed it, lol. I for one like hearing foreign athletes praise the city, organization, supporters, etc., even if the responses are somewhat contrived.
Oh I like hearing it too. Just not when it comes in the form of the media telling them what they want them to tell them about how great the city/org/supporters are. It's hard to feel good about what a player says when the words are coerced out of them

TFC/Everton
02-01-2018, 12:21 AM

Molinaro is the worst soccer journalist. He never breaks rumours, he doesn't have sources, he only talks to the TFC media guy. Terrible journalist!

Shway
02-01-2018, 01:18 AM
Molinaro is the worst soccer journalist. He never breaks rumours, he doesn't have sources, he only talks to the TFC media guy. Terrible journalist!

Never asks the tough questions....I feel like majority of journos covering TFC are way too pc...which is the complete opposite of true journalism.

James17930
02-01-2018, 01:50 AM
Okay ... I need to defend the journos a bit here.

Do you guys remember the time that Molinaro 'broke' the story about how there was dissension in the locker room over Dichio's playing time, and it caused a huge shitshow? Well, we (and by 'we' I mean a lot of us on this board) gave Molinaro shit for reporting something that was 'backroom' and should have been kept private. We basically said that anything untoward or illegal happening should of course be fair game, but anything that was just 'behind the scenes' stuff, private team stuff – and anything that could actually be detrimental to the team should it come out – should be left alone. Since that incident, Molinaro has been a lot less investigative. I can't really speak to the others because I'm not familiar enough with their work.

And spouting off about unsubstantiated rumours is really not 'journalism,' and could be detrimental to the team (in that it could affect negotiations), so I'm actually glad that none of the local guys are touching the vdW story. They reported that he was in the city, which is fine, but they shouldn't really be digging too much until the deal is done in case they report something that spooks Cagliari into reneging on the deal.

So again – if TFC, or MLSE, or MLS or whomever are doing something very wrong or illegal, sure, I would hope they could find out about it. But anything less than that should be left alone. Don't open a can of worms.

OgtheDim
02-01-2018, 06:59 AM
Molinaro is the dude who broke the Herdman story - Kristian Jacks was right behind him on that one BTW.

BTW, he did that while on holiday.

portu
02-01-2018, 07:23 AM
Molinaro is the dude who broke the Herdman story - Kristian Jacks was right behind him on that one BTW.

BTW, he did that while on holiday.
Yeah and it has absolutely zero to do with TFC.

ensco
02-01-2018, 07:44 AM
I can't believe a credible journalist reports that Jozy was kinda shopped to three Mexican teams... and we're arguing about the reporters!

Mike_S
02-01-2018, 09:00 AM
^^ I'd be interested to know if Altidore was indeed shopped around as ensco suggests or Toronto was just hearing offers? Those are two different things obviously. The tweet says Toronto sought a third party to communicate with the three teams, but it also says the Donovan signing has created a interest in American players by the Mexicans suggesting they are the ones initiating the talks.