PDA

View Full Version : TFC 2017-2018 player Off-season moves/speculation/rumours

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7

TFC1154ever
12-30-2017, 11:41 AM
There’s your CB. So he would be a TAM signing.

6:3 and a half, and a Centre CB in a 3-5-2 for Colon.

I’m assuming he would push Moor off his spot or would move to the Right sided CB

reggie
12-30-2017, 12:01 PM
i always take these reports with a grain of salt..if it happens i can see them moving zava or haggs.2 cbs in the mid 20s they would set for the next 5 years.

portu
12-30-2017, 01:03 PM
Mineiro were rumoured to pick the guy up for 5m$ but deal fell apart i doubt we can afford him

Edit: Article even says we can't meet his transfer fee

Yohan
12-30-2017, 01:12 PM
Mineiro were rumoured to pick the guy up for 5m$ but deal fell apart i doubt we can afford him

TFC can meet the transfer fee from MLSE. Just not enough TAM and can't use a DP spot

Yohan
12-30-2017, 01:15 PM
I dont doubt it as the Caps paid 1.3M for that Venezuelan lad and he's a TAM player.

Just interesting if 1-1.5M fees are now TAMable. Laba was 1.5M and he was a DP.

Found it

https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2017/12/28/boehm-running-rule-over-winters-international-signings-so-far

portu
12-30-2017, 01:35 PM
TFC can meet the transfer fee from MLSE. Just not enough TAM and can't use a DP spot
For all practical purposes we cannot meet the fee lol

ag futbol
12-30-2017, 05:35 PM
You never know. Without having a great sense of his petigree, i’ll note these clubs constantly sell / develop talent and that often necessitates a deal now as opposed to later.

If the price drops to something below $5 million we may well pounce. our adavantage is we are good for the money. Other clubs may agree to a higher free with a kicker and the seller may never get a portion of that.

TFC/Everton
12-30-2017, 06:00 PM
Found it

https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2017/12/28/boehm-running-rule-over-winters-international-signings-so-far

The transfer fee can be amortized over life span of the contact to a max hit of $1.5 million. In theory, we could sign a guy for a $3m fee with an annual salary of $500K on a three year deal and that would be allowable under the Targeted allocation rules.

Yohan
12-31-2017, 09:39 PM
There’s your CB. So he would be a TAM signing.

6:3 and a half, and a Centre CB in a 3-5-2 for Colon.

I’m assuming he would push Moor off his spot or would move to the Right sided CB
https://www.wakingthered.com/2017/12/31/16835842/report-toronto-fc-in-talks-with-colon-defender-german-conti-mls-transfer-news

Conti supposedly has a 3.6 mil release clause and probably demand at least TAM level salary. TFC would basically have to dump all their TAM to get this guy.

CB is not the position that needs the most upgrade.

ensco
12-31-2017, 11:22 PM
^When a guy like that isn’t going to Europe, you better have a very good understanding why

Initial B
01-01-2018, 10:46 AM
I could see it making sense if TFC is considering that there may be a drop-off in ability from Moor in the coming season. I think we could all see smidgens of that during some moments at the end of the season. They could be taking a long-term view towards 2019 and want someone already in the team who has built some chemistry during the off-season. If TFC does somehow manage to win the CCL, then having Conti showcase his ability at the FIFA Club Championships could result in offers from Europe that would allow them to recoup on the initial investment and then some.

The other option... from the video embedded in the article, doesn't his carriage and demeanor strike you a bit like a young Michael Bradley? Perhaps they might change his position to DM and groom him as the General's replacement, basically replacing Cheyrou?

portu
01-02-2018, 12:46 AM
I’d like to see us go in for Percy Tau, SA international, would be a TAM level player, but just barely if I’m correct. (Out of contract soon) and top players in SA supposedly earn around 500k a year.

Would be a dynamic winger (which we lack) and a feasible option up top without Altidore and/or Seba in the lineup.

23 years old so also a sellable asset if he does well.

Gazza_55
01-02-2018, 03:48 PM
I’d like to see us go in for Percy Tau, SA international, would be a TAM level player, but just barely if I’m correct. (Out of contract soon) and top players in SA supposedly earn around 500k a year.

Would be a dynamic winger (which we lack) and a feasible option up top without Altidore and/or Seba in the lineup.

23 years old so also a sellable asset if he does well.

What is SA?

South Africa...... Saudi Arabia?

sidvan
01-02-2018, 04:10 PM
What is SA?

I am thinking South America but who knows....

Kamp Berg
01-02-2018, 04:12 PM
South Africa

notthesun
01-02-2018, 04:24 PM
Dallas just signed Swiss CB Reto Ziegler, so if we're actually in on Conti our competition would appear to be limited to Atletico Mineiro now.

Areathrasher
01-02-2018, 04:33 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DRwE7y1VwAAlHBO.jpg

Hamilton_Red
01-02-2018, 09:45 PM
No 30+ Euro retirement track players please. We broke the mold going for Giovinco at his prime. It is the way forward.

notthesun
01-02-2018, 09:49 PM
No 30+ Euro retirement track players please.

You mean like... Victor Vazquez? :p

portu
01-02-2018, 11:33 PM
What is SA?

South Africa sorry

Hamilton_Red
01-03-2018, 12:40 AM
You mean like... Victor Vazquez? :p

He was close enough to 29...and he came from a Mexican team... :hump:

But definitely not 33+ ....I'll make an exception for 30 year old game changers.

Initial B
01-03-2018, 01:05 PM
^ And Vasquez wasn't a DP. I'm fine paying TAM for 30-31 y.o. Europeans. You'll probably get at least 2 years out of them at value for money.

portu
01-03-2018, 01:50 PM
^ And Vasquez wasn't a DP. I'm fine paying TAM for 30-31 y.o. Europeans. You'll probably get at least 2 years out of them at value for money.
I don't care who we sign so long as they add significant value for a CCL run this year and the next one. Club is in a state where us signing a 35-year-old isn't going to hurt the club really imo

nonc
01-03-2018, 04:33 PM
Portugal is #3 in the world and TFC can afford a lot of their players and pretty much any player playing in Portugal.

Unrelated, if I was GM, which I am completely unqualified for :o I'd be scouting players aged 18-19 attached to the worlds best clubs, who are too old for academy but not in first team. These clubs spend tens of millions a year on player identification, youth contracts, and development. Why not let their money do all the work and we just buy the world grade prospect for a fraction of what they may be worth.

Shway
01-03-2018, 05:20 PM
Why not let their money do all the work and we just buy the world grade prospect for a fraction of what they may be worth.

You think clubs big clubs spend millions on their academy and players, for them to sell them on the cheap? Lol. That rarely happens..... And if they are willing to sell, it would be DP level budget charge. Even if the transfer fee is 3mil.

Hamilton_Red
01-03-2018, 05:35 PM
I think we should be more active loaning young players to Europe. Let them get some development there and improve them to get to the first team more credibly.

molenshtain
01-03-2018, 05:55 PM
I think we should be more active loaning young players to Europe. Let them get some development there and improve them to get to the first team more credibly.

we loaned four TFC 2 players ( I can't rememeber them off the top of my head) to fc midtjylland this off-season. all four of them look likely to get first team deals at some point over the next 1-2 years.

nonc
01-03-2018, 06:15 PM
You think clubs big clubs spend millions on their academy and players, for them to sell them on the cheap? Lol. That rarely happens..... And if they are willing to sell, it would be DP level budget charge. Even if the transfer fee is 3mil.

Who said cheap? Never heard of TAM? Young DP rule? MLSE can meet transfer fees, they haven't even flexed much of their their financial muscle to-date yet.

Hamilton_Red
01-03-2018, 06:31 PM
we loaned four TFC 2 players ( I can't rememeber them off the top of my head) to fc midtjylland this off-season. all four of them look likely to get first team deals at some point over the next 1-2 years.

That's good - might be worth hooking up with Celtic type teams..take a loan of some of their players on the cusp of the first team in January. They would be game fit for February & would be used to playing in shite weather. Can hand them back in September.

Steve

rydermike
01-03-2018, 07:08 PM

Exactly. That was my FIFA strategy, buy cheap but promising players, but unrealistic in real life. What could work is getting those type of players on 1-2 year loans, not a long-term solution by any means, but may have players of the same impact as those 33-35 former big name stars at a fraction of the cost, not to mention building relationships with Euro teams if every year they send a couple of those types of players

nonc
01-03-2018, 08:11 PM
Developing players is also a business. Only a small percentage of them will make the first team full-time, it would be naive to think the big boys aren't looking to entertain offers on an up and coming prospects. Selling young talent is an important economic measure for many clubs...like it's a major part of their ROI strategy.

Shway
01-03-2018, 09:35 PM
@nonc So your suggesting that we use YDP slots on these type of players. Remember you can only use so much TAM (transfer fees count towards the player salary) to buy down a DP.

The reality is European elite young players stay in Europe, especially if they're from a big club. MLS isn't there yet where we are with getting South American young talent.

Yohan
01-03-2018, 10:36 PM
@nonc So your suggesting that we use YDP slots on these type of players. Remember you can only use so much TAM (transfer fees count towards the player salary) to buy down a DP.

The reality is European elite young players stay in Europe, especially if they're from a big club. MLS isn't there yet where we are with getting South American young talent.
The recent signing trends suggest otherwise. MLS teams starting to fork over cash for young SA talents.

TFC1154ever
01-03-2018, 10:48 PM
Still no news? 3 weeks away from camp. Starting to get restless :)

Red CB Toronto
01-03-2018, 11:48 PM
Still no news? 3 weeks away from camp. Starting to get restless :)

Restless, this team pretty much has it core in place with only have to fill in some depth here and there, unless a cant miss opportunity comes along to upgrade a position.

TFC1154ever
01-04-2018, 12:33 AM
Restless, this team pretty much has it core in place with only have to fill in some depth here and there, unless a cant miss opportunity comes along to upgrade a position.

Manning said he wants 2 starters, and also 2 more bench guys to push our depth to 18 strong players. I’m assuming the 2 starters will be TAM signings. I really think you underestimate how much money was given to teams this off season. And if you want to beat the best Mexican teams, you need upgrade when ever you get a chance.

Red CB Toronto
01-04-2018, 01:07 AM
Manning said he wants 2 starters, and also 2 more bench guys to push our depth to 18 strong players. I’m assuming the 2 starters will be TAM signings. I really think you underestimate how much money was given to teams this off season. And if you want to beat the best Mexican teams, you need upgrade when ever you get a chance.

Yeah for sure, what I mean is that they will not rush into something for the sake of a player, they will want to make sure its a fit. They just won't rush, especially with all that cash at their disposal.

OgtheDim
01-04-2018, 07:08 AM
Don't forget, this team don't leak anymore.

E.g. How many people knew Vasquez was being seriously considered (including a visit here) the winter Seba was signed?

Yohan
01-04-2018, 08:56 AM
Prices tend to get cheaper after winter European transfer window

Dv23
01-04-2018, 10:51 AM
I have to admit I am starting to get more concerned, little by little, with every day that goes by without any transfer talk. Teams like Atlanta and LAFC are making serious moves. Other Eastern Conference teams are actively involved in making moves as well. Seems like every day I am hearing transfer rumours for every team except ours. I know we have a great team already in place, but please tell me we are going to be taking advantage of that TAM money!

Shway
01-04-2018, 10:58 AM
The recent signing trends suggest otherwise. MLS teams starting to fork over cash for young SA talents.

But I stated just that.

My point is the difference between young SA and young Europeans. For the latter, MLS isn't an option yet. There's no trend that suggests this. If so show me please.

Areathrasher
01-04-2018, 10:58 AM
20 ish days until camp opens. 40ish days until CCL. Plenty of time especially given how now, for the most part, TFC signings get announced without much prior rumors.

But yea, i'd like a few juicy links to tide me over :lol:

Yohan
01-04-2018, 11:14 AM
You kids are so impatient. Bez is not an idiot. Trust Bez to make the right signing at right price.

Mavinga didn't sign until end of jan last yr. Vasquez late Feb.

I doubt Bez is going to pay inflated prize during jan transfer window with clubs and agents driving up the price.

rydermike
01-04-2018, 11:52 AM
The MLS international transfer window opens Feb 14, not Jan 1 like in Europe. Also something to keep in mind for international transfers

Areathrasher
01-04-2018, 12:07 PM
you can still agree and announce deals. You just cant register the incoming player ITC until the window opens.

BenRhodes23
01-04-2018, 01:05 PM
Would someone like Glen Johnson be a good signing? Talented, experienced RB coming to the end of his contract. Heard West Brom might be interested though. He'd start on our team for sure

portu
01-04-2018, 01:09 PM
Prices tend to get cheaper after winter European transfer window
And options thinner.

Areathrasher
01-04-2018, 01:41 PM
Would someone like Glen Johnson be a good signing? Talented, experienced RB coming to the end of his contract. Heard West Brom might be interested though. He'd start on our team for sure

No thanks to the toilet seat thief

Yohan
01-04-2018, 01:42 PM
And options thinner.

Not if you do your homework.

Bez is type of guy who has like 4 players in mind for every signing he wants to make.

There will be no panic buy from Bez.

BenRhodes23
01-04-2018, 03:02 PM
No thanks to the toilet seat thief

It would make for an interesting song :drum:

TFC Tifoso
01-04-2018, 04:13 PM
It would make for an interesting song :drum:

Joooooooohnson, wherever you be
Can you find my toilet seat?.....

TFC/Everton
01-04-2018, 04:49 PM
You kids are so impatient. Bez is not an idiot. Trust Bez to make the right signing at right price.

Mavinga didn't sign until end of jan last yr. Vasquez late Feb.

I doubt Bez is going to pay inflated prize during jan transfer window with clubs and agents driving up the price.

Exactly. Bez has improved out team each year by making quality signings. I have complete faith in our front office.

Defoe
01-04-2018, 07:12 PM
Exactly. Bez has improved out team each year by making quality signings. I have complete faith in our front office.

Would love to see Toronto re-invest that playoff money and take a run at Barco ;)

-----Altidore-Giovinco
Barco-Vazquez-Delgado
-------Bradley----------

that's looking like mid table EPL quality not even joking!

portu
01-04-2018, 07:35 PM
Not if you do your homework.

Bez is type of guy who has like 4 players in mind for every signing he wants to make.

There will be no panic buy from Bez.
Fair enough

PopePouri
01-04-2018, 11:21 PM
I'm hoping they get Beita to re-sign. If we do that, we'll still be deep in most positions.

I know Edwards was a loss but I still think Ashtone Morgan can still contribute a lot at this level.

19Barrett19
01-05-2018, 12:41 AM
I'm hoping they get Beita to re-sign. If we do that, we'll still be deep in most positions.

I know Edwards was a loss but I still think Ashtone Morgan can still contribute a lot at this level.

Morgan can't cross. He has no skill his passing is horrible even ttc 2 martial at best. He's done what he could bit has no place on this team. I hope he makes me eat my words but I highly doubt it

portu
01-05-2018, 12:50 AM
Morgan can't cross. He has no skill his passing is horrible even ttc 2 martial at best. He's done what he could bit has no place on this team. I hope he makes me eat my words but I highly doubt it
Morgan has plenty of MLS experience, for the role he has to play he does just fine, having Raheem last year was an unexpected luxury

Shway
01-05-2018, 01:53 AM
Morgan has plenty of MLS experience, for the role he has to play he does just fine, having Raheem last year was an unexpected luxury

Unexpected? He came up through the system. Anyone who seen him play before his first team appearance knew he was going to be good. Malik Johnson is next up.

portu
01-05-2018, 05:41 AM
Unexpected? He came up through the system. Anyone who seen him play before his first team appearance knew he was going to be good. Malik Johnson is next up.
He was an impact player deserving of starting on almost any MLS team, furthermore, he became 1 of 2 players involved in a trade for a Belgium national team centreback in which he was certainly more than 50% of the value. He was projected to be successful, but this successful? C'mon.

michaeltfc91
01-05-2018, 08:09 AM

Morgan is definitely a fantastic crosser of the ball and still a good quality backup LB in this league. I know it was 6 years ago at this point, but in 2012 I believe he led all left backs with 5 assists, all of them were crosses onto the head of Ryan Johnson / Koevermans. The issue is he has no right foot and can only play one position which is left back so his minutes are limited with Justin Morrow bossing that position

He had a couple assists when he got big minutes in 2015 and always seems to play well when he gets a consistent run of games and hopefully that can happen this year. He will be a very good backup left back this year

ag futbol
01-05-2018, 09:43 AM
I’ll dispute that Morgan’s crossing is great. It feels very forced at times and it’s always that high driven ball across the box regardless of whether that’s what the play calls for or not. Edwards was a far better crosser if the ball and was much more versatile with his passing and offensive play in general.

I think Morgan (potentially) is a serviceable backup. He’s been around long enough to understand the league. They’ll probably give that half a season to see if it works.

Initial B
01-05-2018, 11:12 AM
Morgan is the sole remaining link from those woeful TFC teams from the past. He is the historian who reminds players of what it used to be like during the dark times and a repository of information on CCL play to tell players of what it's like to play Mexican teams. I think this is one of the reasons why the club has kept him around for so long.

Joe Kool
01-05-2018, 12:16 PM
Morgan is the sole remaining link from those woeful TFC teams from the past. He is the historian who reminds players of what it used to be like during the dark times and a repository of information on CCL play to tell players of what it's like to play Mexican teams. I think this is one of the reasons why the club has kept him around for so long.

I am surprised every year that Morgan is still on the roster just because he has been here so long without getting regular first team minutes or even making the 18 on game days. Newer players like Raheem coming in and getting time ahead of him pretty much right away doesn't speak well for where he is on the pecking order yet he is still here. I guess he is probably a half decent back up at probably a very low price tag so they keep him around just in case the injury bug hits bad especially now that Raheem is gone so that helps his case this season. No idea how he is progressing as a player because we almost never see him play.

Kamp Berg
01-05-2018, 12:24 PM
Morgan was injured most of last year. He didn’t have a chance for first team minutes.

jabbronies
01-05-2018, 01:33 PM

I would take Victor Vazquez's advice on playing Mexican teams over Morgans - so that's not a reason to keep him around.

I do agree with him being a crazy old historian who hangs out in front of the training grounds screaming and rambling at players about what it was like in the dark days.

El Diego
01-05-2018, 02:05 PM
I would take Victor Vazquez's advice on playing Mexican teams over Morgans - so that's not a reason to keep him around.

I do agree with him being a crazy old historian who hangs out in front of the training grounds screaming and rambling at players about what it was like in the dark days.

I remember once that I saw Morgan sub on for Giovinco and I thought to myself, "This has got to be the weirdest substitution in the history of competitive soccer."

Blkndkr
01-05-2018, 02:07 PM
This just seems mean.

jabbronies
01-05-2018, 02:12 PM
This just seems mean.

Mean and funny

kuku
01-05-2018, 05:41 PM
Ola Kamara and Justin Meram are both available. I think Meram would be good on the wing for TFC.

nonc
01-05-2018, 05:46 PM
Meram wants DP money

charlieocc
01-05-2018, 06:11 PM
The crazy thing about the way we see Morgan is he's only 26 - it feels like it's been so long since we were horrible...

OgtheDim
01-05-2018, 06:54 PM
Just for the sake of stats

https://www.transfermarkt.com/ashtone-morgan/leistungsdaten/spieler/164559/plus/1?saison=2016

Morgan played in 6 games for TFC last year - starting 3.

Stats for the year for the whole team

https://www.transfermarkt.com/toronto-fc/leistungsdaten/verein/11141/reldata/%262016/plus/1

Richard
01-05-2018, 07:22 PM

https://www.transfermarkt.com/ashtone-morgan/leistungsdaten/spieler/164559/plus/1?saison=2016

https://www.transfermarkt.com/toronto-fc/leistungsdaten/verein/11141/reldata/%262016/plus/1

I still think he can succeed as an attacking wing back, back in the Koeverman days I remember him delivering some great crosses.

Its too bad his injuries have slowed him down, if he can get healthy I would like to have him as a super sub off the bench to harass players on the wings, kind of like a Rickets.

Oldtimer
01-05-2018, 08:14 PM
if he can get healthy I would like to have him as a super sub off the bench to harass players on the wings, kind of like a Rickets.

He's more like an "ordinary" sub, not a "super" sub. Rickets is a super sub.

Defoe
01-05-2018, 08:19 PM
Mearm would be a nice addition to the midfield

Yohan
01-05-2018, 08:37 PM
Mearm would be a nice addition to the midfield
How would Meram fit in a 4-4-2 diamond or 3-5-2? He's a wide forward/winger who likes to cut in from the flanks. And he's not going to be a wingback.

Defoe
01-05-2018, 08:52 PM
How would Meram fit in a 4-4-2 diamond or 3-5-2? He's a wide forward/winger who likes to cut in from the flanks. And he's not going to be a wingback.

-------Gio-Altidore
Mearm-Vazquez-Delgado
-------Bradley--------

Can't Mearm also play as a CAM?

Blkndkr
01-05-2018, 09:13 PM
Mean and funny

Granted.

ensco
01-05-2018, 09:27 PM
Morgan showed some quality in his limited minutes last year.

I definitely think Morgan is on the bubble if we spend the 2.8M in TAM.

I have faith in Vanney on Morgan. If Morgan deserves to be in the 18, he will. If not, not.

I hope we can keep him.

Defoe
01-05-2018, 09:42 PM
Morgan showed some quality in his limited minutes last year.

I definitely think Morgan is on the bubble if we spend the 2.8M in TAM.

I have faith in Vanney on Morgan. If Morgan deserves to be in the 18, he will. If not, not.

I hope we can keep him.

It's good to have some cheap Canadian subs, It's probably played a reason in our success. He's a decent back up LB.

Yohan
01-05-2018, 10:21 PM
-------Gio-Altidore
Mearm-Vazquez-Delgado
-------Bradley--------

Can't Mearm also play as a CAM?
He's an attacking midfielder, but not a playmaker. He has played CAM in the past, but not his best position.

He also doesn't have the defensive work rate to play a box to box mid.

In any case, apparently Columbus wants something like a million in GAM/TAM like what Portland got for Nagbe IIRC. Too expensive.

MightyDM
01-06-2018, 12:02 AM

Morgan has shown he can contribute at this level as a wing back in a 3-5-2. Like Delgado and Osorio, he has likely gotten better in training, even though limited by injury. He'll surprise us next year.

MightyDM
01-06-2018, 12:06 AM

He also had a broken foot. A hard injury to recover quickly from, in foot ball.

kuku
01-06-2018, 11:32 PM
Saw this, not too sure:

@gustavorehcuov

#Alerta: @IkerCasillas Cerro sure fichaje por El @torontofc. El portero deja @FCPorto por 2 millones y continuara sure carrera en la MLS. #NBC ha confirmation oficialmente la transferencia.

RealG-TFC
01-06-2018, 11:44 PM
Finally some rumours at least

reggie
01-06-2018, 11:49 PM
i cant see this happening,,chicago was rumoured for iker.

RealG-TFC
01-06-2018, 11:54 PM
I'm just waiting for us to be linked with Podolski again

Shway
01-06-2018, 11:56 PM
lol....to us spending TAM on a GK, when we already have a future USMNT Gk who played a role in wining us the shield and cup.

I've faced the fact that based on last year, we may not have any rumors but official news.

BenRhodes23
01-07-2018, 01:32 AM
i cant see this happening,,chicago was rumoured for iker.

Iker did congratulate us on winning MLS Cup, for what it's worth. He'd be a good mentor to Bono and the younger players and would invaluable to the team in terms of jersey sales and overall hype. Seems unlikely but would be an incredible signing

Shway
01-07-2018, 02:06 AM
Iker did congratulate us on winning MLS Cup, for what it's worth. He'd be a good mentor to Bono and the younger players and would invaluable to the team in terms of jersey sales and overall hype. Seems unlikely but would be an incredible signing

So curious, tell me how many Julio Cesar jerseys were sold? .... Nobody comes to games to watch GKs, and tbh Casillas has been a ghost of his past, and a lot of teams seem to realize that.

OgtheDim
01-07-2018, 08:23 AM
Its interesting looking at last season's version of this thread

http://forums.redpatchboys.ca/showthread.php?39901-TFC-2016-2017-off-season-player-moves-speculation-rumours&p=1828741&viewfull=1#post1828741

Auzzy
01-07-2018, 09:02 AM
I'm just waiting for us to be linked with Podolski again

What's up with Diego Forlan and Paul Dickov these days.... :D :D

Eastend
01-07-2018, 09:37 AM
So curious, tell me how many Julio Cesar jerseys were sold? .... Nobody comes to games to watch GKs, and tbh Casillas has been a ghost of his past, and a lot of teams seem to realize that.

Some of us do...but I do think this would be a bad move. Bono needs to play every game he can.

flamehawk
01-07-2018, 10:42 AM
What's up with Diego Forlan and Paul Dickov these days.... :D :D

Know you're joking, but Forlan just signed for Kitchee in my hometown of Hong Kong. Following in the footsteps of Kezman and Nicky Butt.

reggie
01-07-2018, 10:43 AM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DS6jgigW0AA8d1Q.jpgis cooper done with tfc..this is his new photo on twitter.im jus bored...

Gazza_55
01-07-2018, 01:00 PM
Rubin Kazan has told several players, including midfielder Yann M'Vila, to find new clubs. The players haven't been paid in 6 months according to rumours.

T.O TILL I DIE
01-07-2018, 01:36 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DS6jgigW0AA8d1Q.jpgis cooper done with tfc..this is his new photo on twitter.im jus bored...
I hope so, guy cant even hit a open net🙄

BenRhodes23
01-07-2018, 06:28 PM
Rubin Kazan has told several players, including midfielder Yann M'Vila, to find new clubs. The players haven't been paid in 6 months according to rumours.

He'd be a great signing in midfield

James17930
01-07-2018, 06:38 PM
I hope so, guy cant even hit a open net

Well, that can happen in football.

But ... while he certainly improved in the latter-half of the season, I wouldn't be sad to see him go. We can most certainly upgrade in that area.

Defoe
01-07-2018, 07:30 PM
Right back, Efraín Juarez of Monterrey, rumoured MLS move.

https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2018/01/07/report-monterrey-defender-efrain-juarez-negotiations-join-mls

TFC1154ever
01-07-2018, 08:00 PM
^ Thought to post this here too. Got Vasquez out of Mexico...

T.O TILL I DIE
01-07-2018, 09:46 PM
Well, that can happen in football.

But ... while he certainly improved in the latter-half of the season, I wouldn't be sad to see him go. We can most certainly upgrade in that area.

Dont wanna make it one of these threads but ive been saying cooper out since last season. Wikapedia says cooper is a "Free Agent" are we letting cooper go?

Carter
01-07-2018, 10:02 PM
Dont wanna make it one of these threads but ive been saying cooper out since last season. Wikapedia says cooper is a "Free Agent" are we letting cooper go?
I’ll just leave this here... https://www.thestar.com/sports/tfc/2017/12/14/reds-cut-8-players-free-hope-to-re-sign-armando-cooper.html

portu
01-07-2018, 11:46 PM
IIRC a reporter mentioned M’Vila by name to either Manning or Bez (I forget) as an example of a player the team would try and get via connections that current players have.. interesting that now he’s pretty much available.. would be a great signing

PopePouri
01-08-2018, 05:26 AM
He adds steel in midfield which might be a need? Bradley has grown a lot as a destroyer himself.

reggie
01-08-2018, 02:27 PM
Yann M’Vila has struck a deal with St ÉtienneFormer French international defensive midfielder Yann M’Vila has reached an agreement to join St Étienne on a free transfer, according to RMC.
The 27-year-old has agreed to the move in large part because of his relationship with Jean-Louis Gasset, who he worked with during his France national team days, and has decided to make considerable financial sacrifices in order to enact the deal.
M’Vila is, at the time of writing, still a Rubin Kazan player, but the club is on the verge of bankruptcy and has not paid any of its players for several months. Russian sources claim that a termination agreement is close between Kazan and the former Rennes and Sunderland man.
St Étienne are hopeful of finalising a deal on the weekend.

January 4th, 201
dont think he is coming here.

Areathrasher
01-08-2018, 02:41 PM
Right back, Efraín Juarez of Monterrey, rumoured MLS move.

https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2018/01/07/report-monterrey-defender-efrain-juarez-negotiations-join-mls

Vancouver apparently

BenRhodes23
01-08-2018, 05:08 PM
Yann M’Vila has struck a deal with St ÉtienneFormer French international defensive midfielder Yann M’Vila has reached an agreement to join St Étienne on a free transfer, according to RMC.
The 27-year-old has agreed to the move in large part because of his relationship with Jean-Louis Gasset, who he worked with during his France national team days, and has decided to make considerable financial sacrifices in order to enact the deal.
M’Vila is, at the time of writing, still a Rubin Kazan player, but the club is on the verge of bankruptcy and has not paid any of its players for several months. Russian sources claim that a termination agreement is close between Kazan and the former Rennes and Sunderland man.

January 4th, 201

That's a shame. I thought maybe Chris Mavinga could lure him to Toronto. They played together at Rennes and Kazan

Gazza_55
01-08-2018, 06:05 PM
Yann M’Vila has struck a deal with St Étienne

Former French international defensive midfielder Yann M’Vila has reached an agreement to join St Étienne on a free transfer, according to RMC.

January 4th, 201

That article from last Thursday has been questioned by European jounos on Twitter. He could go there but it's not final.

T.O TILL I DIE
01-09-2018, 10:43 AM
Very boring offseason for Tfc, any trade rumours yet??

TFC07
01-09-2018, 11:27 AM
Going by history, wait until end of the month for signings. We still need starting CB, RB and CM. So except some signings to happen before first game

portu
01-09-2018, 11:44 AM
You'd hope that signings will have be made in time for pre-season this year remember Vazquez was signed in Feb last year and took a few games to integrate fully. This year we don't have a few games to integrate new guys, so the sooner the better imo

Cas87
01-09-2018, 11:51 AM
As long as guys are in camp (not necessarily crossed T's and dotted I's) then we should be fine.

There are still 2 weeks until everyone is 'officially' back

T.O TILL I DIE
01-09-2018, 12:28 PM
You'd hope that signings will have be made in time for pre-season this year remember Vazquez was signed in Feb last year and took a few games to integrate fully. This year we don't have a few games to integrate new guys, so the sooner the better imo
Exaclty , thats why i feel they already have the signings just havnt released news about it yet. Im sure they have a couple guys lined up

Cas87
01-09-2018, 12:32 PM
https://frinkiac.com/video/S04E09/fxwa7Xe-6ogVWJXMOtr7o23kEQo=.gif

djking2
01-09-2018, 01:05 PM
This year we don't have a few games to integrate new guys, so the sooner the better imo

I'm not exactly sure why you'd say that. With the possible exception of the Beitashour our starting 11 should all return meaning we can field an 11 with a wealth of experience playing and winning together. why you wanna fuck with that?

kuku
01-09-2018, 01:57 PM
Found this:

Diamanti heading to MLS

Alessandro Diamanti will reportedly head to Major League Soccer after talks broke down with Livorno.
The forward and free kick specialist is still only 34 years old, but has been out of contract since his deal with Palermo was terminated by mutual consent in August 2017.
According to Sportitalia, he was in negotiations for a return to Livorno, but couldn’t agree terms with the club currently in Serie C, who he already played for from 2007 to 2009.
In recent years, Diamanti has played for the likes of Fiorentina, Guangzhou Evergrande, Watford and Atalanta.
It’s believed his next step will be in America for an MLS club.

Joe Kool
01-09-2018, 02:53 PM
Found this:

Diamanti heading to MLS

Alessandro Diamanti will reportedly head to Major League Soccer after talks broke down with Livorno.
The forward and free kick specialist is still only 34 years old, but has been out of contract since his deal with Palermo was terminated by mutual consent in August 2017.
According to Sportitalia, he was in negotiations for a return to Livorno, but couldn’t agree terms with the club currently in Serie C, who he already played for from 2007 to 2009.
In recent years, Diamanti has played for the likes of Fiorentina, Guangzhou Evergrande, Watford and Atalanta.
It’s believed his next step will be in America for an MLS club.

I don't watch Italian soccer so I don't know this guy but 34 and coming to MLS is just more fuel to the fire of the MLS retirement league. MLS is not really doing that so much anymore. I guess European players are still thinking they can come here for a last paycheck once their playing days are done in Europe.

Cas87
01-09-2018, 03:14 PM
Found this via Goal.com

https://sports.yahoo.com/mls-transfer-news-latest-rumors-134305320.html

It mentions half-way down the article that Efrain Juarez from Monterrey is set to join MLS (no club specifically mentioned).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Efra%C3%ADn_Ju%C3%A1rez
Can play right-back and defensive-midfield, only 29 years old.
Hits all the right buttons for TFC, and can be signed with TAM (which arguably could make him cheaper on the cap than a re-signed Betia could be).

Food for thought - obviously nothing confirmed until it is well ... confirmed.

Areathrasher
01-09-2018, 03:24 PM
All signs are pointing to the Caps for Juarez

https://twitter.com/GlassCityFC/status/950564632858574849

https://twitter.com/LaNoticiaRayada/status/950164839065903104

And the latest

https://twitter.com/espnsutcliffe/status/950837261683306496

portu
01-09-2018, 03:32 PM
I'm not exactly sure why you'd say that. With the possible exception of the Beitashour our starting 11 should all return meaning we can field an 11 with a wealth of experience playing and winning together. why you wanna fuck with that?
If you wanna have the new guys out there for CCL you'd hope that they have ample time to integrate

portu
01-09-2018, 03:34 PM
https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2018/01/09/report-african-internationals-walid-azaro-cedric-hountondji-linked-mls

No specific clubs mentioned, the centre back fits our penchant for players from France but the striker prob is LAFC

Gazza_55
01-10-2018, 04:59 PM
Yann M’Vila has struck a deal with St Étienne

Former French international defensive midfielder Yann M’Vila has reached an agreement to join St Étienne on a free transfer, according to RMC.

January 4th, 201

He arrived in France yesterday and has given St Etienne 48 hours to sign him. Looks like you were right.

wynne
01-10-2018, 10:29 PM
#LAFC is close to a deal with Iranian-American defender Steven Beitashour, 30, a free agent who played last year with Toronto. He also played for Iran in the 2014 World Cup

notthesun
01-10-2018, 10:36 PM
#LAFC is close to a deal with Iranian-American defender Steven Beitashour, 30, a free agent who played last year with Toronto. He also played for Iran in the 2014 World Cup

Source: https://twitter.com/kbaxter11/status/951293015254970369

TAM RB incoming then?

Red CB Toronto
01-10-2018, 10:39 PM

Yeah saw that, just don't think the Reds could pull it off, giving him what he wanted considering their cap room. Don't think TAM was ever in the cards for him. Just did not make any sense.

reggie
01-10-2018, 10:48 PM
all of a sudden we kinda lack depth on the wingback pos.

Detroit_TFC
01-10-2018, 11:31 PM
all of a sudden we kinda lack depth on the wingback pos.

Yeah, I think the FO will have to go into the market and find someone.

OgtheDim
01-10-2018, 11:58 PM
Just a reminder: we started last season with no depth at RB/RWB.

I think the brain trust gamed out this potential move a long time ago. Thus the younger Hasler. I suspect they have a group of players in mind for a second guy.

This is a test of Bez. The next few seasons will see a lot of replacement of that championship squad. Bez did great to gather that squad. Now he has the equally tough job of keeping a consistent good team.

Shway
01-11-2018, 01:49 AM
Is Cooper coming back?

Graeme
01-11-2018, 07:55 AM

Just watched a series of highlights from last year and, even though people seem to think he's sub-par here for some reason, Beitashour is key in many of the attacks, including several in our MLS Cup championship game. This worries me.

Oldtimer
01-11-2018, 07:58 AM
Is Cooper coming back?

That was answered earlier in the thread...

I’ll just leave this here... https://www.thestar.com/sports/tfc/2017/12/14/reds-cut-8-players-free-hope-to-re-sign-armando-cooper.html

Joe Kool
01-11-2018, 08:29 AM
Will be too bad if Beita leaves. I liked having him and Hasler as interchangeable options on RB/RWB. He has good chemistry with our team and seems like a good locker room guy. Will have to trust Bez though. He got us this far.

Areathrasher
01-11-2018, 08:43 AM
Larson has a piece on Beita going. Mentions this

the Sun understands the Reds are chasing a pure winger to provide more offensive output from wide positions in coach Greg Vanney’s 3-5-2 formation.

If that's the case i'd be trying to get in on this action
https://twitter.com/SalvadorHicar/status/950388701749760001
https://twitter.com/SRAllStars/status/950830282877399041

Can play both wings and scored 14 goals in the last Paraguayan season. His transfer fee should be TAM-able.

19Barrett19
01-11-2018, 09:20 AM
Larson has a piece on Beita going. Mentions this

If that's the case i'd be trying to get in on this action
https://twitter.com/SalvadorHicar/status/950388701749760001
https://twitter.com/SRAllStars/status/950830282877399041

Can play both wings and scored 14 goals in the last Paraguayan season. His transfer fee should be TAM-able.

This guy looks good from the MoJo scouting I did

ensco
01-11-2018, 11:25 AM
I think our strength is European scouting and agent relationships. Hasler, Cheyrou, Vazquez. You can manage risk in Europe, we were able to move Perquis and Kantari out easily.

I'd stay with what got you here, and look to Europe again.

South America is such a complex, different world. Massive upfront payments to agents etc.

Areathrasher
01-11-2018, 11:43 AM
I think our strength is European scouting and agent relationships. Hasler, Cheyrou, Vazquez. You can manage risk in Europe, we were able to move Perquis and Kantari out easily.

I'd stay with what got you here, and look to Europe again.

South America is such a complex, different world. Massive upfront payments to agents etc.

Question to ask yourself....

Who performs better, or is more comfortable, with it all on the line in a hot night in Monterrey in front of 50,000 insane fans? A European or Latin American player?

(Yes, i'm pulling a cold night in Stoke analogy)

jabbronies
01-11-2018, 12:01 PM
Question to ask yourself....

Who performs better, or is more comfortable, with it all on the line in a hot night in Monterrey in front of 50,000 insane fans? A European or Latin American player?

(Yes, i'm pulling a cold night in Stoke analogy)

Depends on the player and where they've played. Turkey? Belgrade? Napoli? Milan? Feyenoord?

Areathrasher
01-11-2018, 12:19 PM
Depends on the player and where they've played. Turkey? Belgrade? Napoli? Milan? Feyenoord?

Good point, especially related the Istanbul clubs. Look at their home records in Continental competition, they often knock off big Anglo/Northern European teams at home. Turkey has some big scalps at home in qualifiers too. They aren't used to that type of atmosphere so get overwhelemed/dont perform or as Herc has said "they get the rabbits in the headlights look"

That's the type of thing im talking about with regards to CCL.

19Barrett19
01-11-2018, 12:50 PM
https://twitter.com/KurtLarSUN/status/951470353347436545

BIETA GONE

pfk
01-11-2018, 01:32 PM
https://twitter.com/KurtLarSUN/status/951470353347436545

BIETA GONE

I get the reasons why he may be going, but I've always had time for Beita. He was pretty solid down the stretch, especially after coming back from the lacerated pancreas injury.

Bobo
01-11-2018, 02:14 PM
Beita was a battler and solid on both sides of the ball. Hasler would be a substantial downgrade defensively IMO.

Joe Kool
01-11-2018, 02:29 PM
I hate to see him go but oh well. Good luck to him. He seems like a decent guy. I guess he decided to go for more money (assuming) and being close to home since he is from California. For that he had to leave a championship team that could repeat and even do well in CCL for an expansion team if he goes to LAFC. I guess it depends what he is in it for at this point in his career. More glory or a paycheck closer to home.

01-11-2018, 02:44 PM
Can't really blame him. Won a championship, now he can go play close to home for probably more money. Wish him well.

ensco
01-11-2018, 03:21 PM
I'd be careful with these geographic stereotypes.

Europe and South America are pretty similar, with a wide distribution of teams and fan bases.

Vazquez proved himself at Brugge, a place that nobody would rate as a soccer hotbed.

nonc
01-11-2018, 03:35 PM
Bring Fraser Aird home.

69Chevy396
01-11-2018, 03:54 PM
Am I wrong, aren’t there dozens of out of contract players in Serie A or B available? Seba isn’t the only outstanding Italian player from those leagues who could step in to fill Beit’s shoes.

portu
01-11-2018, 04:08 PM
Bring Fraser Aird home.
Now this would be a desperate move

jabbronies
01-11-2018, 04:11 PM
Bring Fraser Aird home.

I'm sure he comes home during the holidays and off season

jabbronies
01-11-2018, 04:12 PM
Am I wrong, aren’t there dozens of out of contract players in Serie A or B available? Seba isn’t the only outstanding Italian player from those leagues who could step in to fill Beit’s shoes.

Serie B? seriously?

nonc
01-11-2018, 04:22 PM
Now this would be a desperate move

Why? Domestic depth player who can play wingback or straight up winger. Good player.

OgtheDim
01-11-2018, 04:42 PM
Why? Domestic depth player who can play wingback or straight up winger. Good player.

He doessn't even start much at Dunfermline.

nonc
01-11-2018, 04:53 PM

I don't read much into it he's better than Scottish Championship, when he plays he's the best player on the field. Better and cheaper than Morgan for instance.

He was the best player on the field Canada vs. Scotland too.

Cas87
01-11-2018, 04:58 PM
I don't read much into it he's better than Scottish Championship, when he plays he's the best player on the field. Better and cheaper than Morgan for instance.

He was the best player on the field Canada vs. Scotland too.

If it fits under our salary limitations/structure, he would be serviceable.

I would even put in my 2 cents that we should take a look at Mark Bloom as well. He was useful when he played here on the right side and he would fit in Mannings' idea of being 18 deep for our roster this coming year. Easily he could be inserted in the Canadian Championship and probably 7-10 starts in MLS games to keep guys fresh for CCL and the rest of the year.

Hasler
Aird
Bloom

for the right hand side looks like good depth to me. 1 more so offensive-minded (for 3-5-2), one defensive-minded (for 3-5-2), and a natural Right Back that has played our 4-4-2 system before.

Yohan
01-11-2018, 05:04 PM
http://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/mls/free-agent-beitashour-leaves-tfc-sign-lafc/

From JMo

TFC made Beitashour a contract offer, but he turned it down as it would have meant taking a pay cut.TFC went to great lengths to keep Beitashour, but the club’s salary cap situation made it difficult to re-sign him, especially with players getting a bump in pay from their championship bonuses. Ideally, the Reds would have spent Targeted Allocation Money to pay down his salary cap hit, but under league rules they aren’t allowed to do so on a player in Beitashour’s salary range.
TFC have to be right against the cap already, or somewhere close. You still need min 150k in cap space for a TAM signing

portu
01-11-2018, 05:52 PM

Because he’s generally regarded as a poor player with a poorer lifestyle, at least that’s why he didn’t stick at falkirk

portu
01-11-2018, 05:54 PM

I would even put in my 2 cents that we should take a look at Mark Bloom as well. He was useful when he played here on the right side and he would fit in Mannings' idea of being 18 deep for our roster this coming year. Easily he could be inserted in the Canadian Championship and probably 7-10 starts in MLS games to keep guys fresh for CCL and the rest of the year.

Hasler
Aird
Bloom

for the right hand side looks like good depth to me. 1 more so offensive-minded (for 3-5-2), one defensive-minded (for 3-5-2), and a natural Right Back that has played our 4-4-2 system before.

Bloom I could get behind. If he comes on a min salary I’d much rather him than Alseth, who takes an international slot

nonc
01-11-2018, 05:55 PM

Hasler
Aird
Bloom

Morrow-----Hasler
Morgan-----Aird
Bloom

If there's not money to spend given the other signings we'll see, I could live with this situation.

flamehawk
01-11-2018, 06:03 PM
Morrow-----Hasler
Morgan-----Aird
Bloom

If there's not money to spend given the other signings we'll see, I could live with this situation.

Why are people writing off Alseth already. He hasn't been waived and was decent for his limited starts last season.

nonc
01-11-2018, 06:09 PM
Why are people writing off Alseth already. He hasn't been waived and was decent for his limited starts last season.

I actually like Alseth! I thought he was let go. Good engine, played well when called upon and we may have international spots to spare.

flamehawk
01-11-2018, 07:30 PM
I actually like Alseth! I thought he was let go. Good engine, played well when called upon and we may have international spots to spare.

My bad, I double checked, looks like he had his option declined. Surprising.

Red CB Toronto
01-11-2018, 07:46 PM
My bad, I double checked, looks like he had his option declined. Surprising.

I am pretty sure the plan is to at least bring him in the pre-season to fight for a contract. Expect the same with Spencer, Camargo and Endoh if they don't move elsewhere before like Aubrey did. Pretty much they will be up against draft picks, potential TFC2 grads for the last 4-5 spots on the roster.

Gazza_55
01-11-2018, 07:53 PM
Bloom I could get behind. If he comes on a min salary I’d much rather him than Alseth, who takes an international slot

What is Bloom's status in Atlanta? Did they protect him?

Red CB Toronto
01-11-2018, 08:09 PM
What is Bloom's status in Atlanta? Did they protect him?

The 2018 optition on his contract was declined by Atlanta. The only issue I see with him is that he has not played all that much in the last three seasons, 9 games in total.

molenshtain
01-12-2018, 12:38 AM
I think this sets us up nicely for my theory that we're spending our new TAM on a RWB.

James17930
01-12-2018, 12:59 AM
I had a strong feeling Beita was going to leave for LAFC. I figured they'd throw bigger money at him to lure him there (and you certainly can't blame him if it would've meant a paycut to stay here). There's a huge Persian population in California that I'm sure they want to promote to (not that that's the only reason – he's a great player, obviously – but it is a sound marketing move).

molenshtain
01-12-2018, 01:17 AM
I think this sets us up nicely for my theory that we're spending our new TAM on a RWB.

LAFC are building their roster in a very strange way. It looks like their stuck between the ATL model and the old Galaxy-Leiweke model. They just seem to be throwing money at the wall without much rhyme or reason.

BendItLikeGio
01-12-2018, 09:42 AM
Its official, just letting you guys know ;)... not like its mentioned officially but it is i know my key source HAHA. Wont say any details.

He is an amazing human being. Happy for him and hope all success. Will indeed miss him in toronto

Joe Kool
01-12-2018, 09:43 AM
I had a strong feeling Beita was going to leave for LAFC. I figured they'd throw bigger money at him to lure him there (and you certainly can't blame him if it would've meant a paycut to stay here). There's a huge Persian population in California that I'm sure they want to promote to (not that that's the only reason – he's a great player, obviously – but it is a sound marketing move).

Don't forget he is also from California so closer to home. Can't blame anyone for taking more money and playing closer to home. He won a title already so this may be a better move for him from a family point of view.

Areathrasher
01-12-2018, 01:14 PM
Mike Petrasso on a free anyone?

http://www.westlondonsport.com/qpr/qpr-exodus-continues-two-leave

flamehawk
01-12-2018, 01:27 PM

Hmm... I wouldn't be surprised if Petrasso was coming here, considering how Bez said they are looking for a more offensive winger. And I'd be surprised if Petrasso doesn't already have a club lined up since it was termination by mutual consent

ag futbol
01-12-2018, 01:46 PM
He’s not bad. I’d suspect it’s the whitecaps however. This looks like their type of signing.

molenshtain
01-12-2018, 01:53 PM
He’s not bad. I’d suspect it’s the whitecaps however. This looks like their type of signing.

Whitecaps have talented sophmore Jake Nerwinski and new signing Mexican international Efrain Juarez at RB. Looks like they've finally come in from the cold and sorted out their RB issues after giving up Beita three years ago. Long are the days of the Jordan Smith-Fraser Aird Neptune sized blackhole occupying the right side of the field for the Whitecaps.

Petrasso still seems unlikely to me. I don't think he's better than Hasler. Probably wouldn't push him the same way Beita or a player of his caliber would fight for minutes at that spot. Just very unambitious. Plus we gotta use our TAM on something. Seems the most obvious move to use it there.

T.O TILL I DIE
01-12-2018, 01:56 PM

Went to school with the guy hes an alright player nothing on TFC caliber yet. That would be a disappointing signing.

ag futbol
01-12-2018, 01:56 PM
^ oh I certainly wouldn’t call it ambitious either. But he has enough potential where I wouldn’t mind having him on the roster.

Definitely more backup than starter, as you mentioned.

OgtheDim
01-12-2018, 02:23 PM
The rumour that TFC offered Beitashour less then what he was getting indicates they might think Hasler is more starter then he was last year. But then, the other reports of them wanting a true winger type might indicate otherwise.

Sooo....

Is Hasler a starter on an MLS cup competitive team?

michaeltfc91
01-12-2018, 03:52 PM
So far we know we lost Cheyrou to retirement and Beitashour and Edwards are gone as well. I am still concerned why we haven't resigned Zavaleta, Cooper, Hernandez, Endoh?

Also if we just received 3 million in allocation money how are we strapped for cash?

jabbronies
01-12-2018, 04:02 PM
So far we know we lost Cheyrou to retirement and Beitashour and Edwards are gone as well. I am still concerned why we haven't resigned Zavaleta, Cooper, Hernandez, Endoh?

Also if we just received 3 million in allocation money how are we strapped for cash?

Who said we were strapped for cash?

Red CB Toronto
01-12-2018, 04:03 PM

It because cap space and tam are two different things. For instance you can't use TAM to up an offer to a guy by say 50-100K.

Areathrasher
01-12-2018, 05:07 PM
Hmm... I wouldn't be surprised if Petrasso was coming here, considering how Bez said they are looking for a more offensive winger. And I'd be surprised if Petrasso doesn't already have a club lined up since it was termination by mutual consent

You could be right.
Grego-Cox, the other player released by QPR today, signed with another club pretty much straight away.

Cas87
01-12-2018, 05:31 PM
Who said we were strapped for cash?

Bez and Manning in a few of the end-of-the-season interviews with Molinaro/Larson/Kloke/Armstrong/etc.

portu
01-12-2018, 05:45 PM

I like Petrasso but not at a number over 200k too much of a gamble

portu
01-12-2018, 05:48 PM
If we’re so strapped for budget space why is Irwin not off the roster yet for GAM?

molenshtain
01-12-2018, 06:20 PM
Bez and Manning in a few of the end-of-the-season interviews with Molinaro/Larson/Kloke/Armstrong/etc.

strapped for cash this past season sure, but there's a lot that's changed. dead contracts shifted off, others negotiating or already signed to new contracts. Plus you have to factor in Annual cap increase, Contracts coming off the books from guys who aren't on the team, as well as the huge influx of TAM.

Bono and Zavs are probably the only guys who are getting significant raises. Everyone else - the Coopers and the Beitashours' and the Moors of the world - are being offered cuts to stay so we can invest elsewhere.

metaxa
01-12-2018, 09:13 PM
Endoh? Please no... we need a championship team here.. we're better than that, go hard or don't go at all

OgtheDim
01-13-2018, 07:17 AM
There's long term thinking involved in this. Seba might very well be gone after 2019. At that time, our tactics might significantly change.

The example of how this shakes out is Endoh.

He is out of contract but going to camp to try to win a spot in the 21 or with TFCII. He was drafted back before we started the 3-5-2. He fits a certain tactical approach. He actually had a decent start in his first year but tailed off. Having watched him a bit for TFCII, I think he would start for a couple of MLS teams and be the first off the bench for a couple more. If we ever go to a 4-3-3 or to a wide 4-4-2 or to a 4-2-3-1, Endoh is depth for that right forward/winger spot. We are not going to a 4-3-3 or 4-2-3-1 until after Seba leaves but Endoh remains an option if we go with a 4-4-2. If Endoh is kept around, that means the braintrust is thinking of 2020 (when Seba might be gone). On the depth chart, he would currently be #19-#21 - he's serviceable at that spot. Assuming he keeps up his work rate (everybody says he works as hard in camp as anybody else), I'd keep him for a couple of more seasons at the minimum wage.

reggie
01-13-2018, 10:46 AM
i dont mind endoh.but his prob is that he counts has a import.

Ossington Mental Youth
01-13-2018, 11:41 PM
On Europeans in Central America, I'll leave one name. Gignac.

BenRhodes23
01-13-2018, 11:49 PM
On Europeans in Central America, I'll leave one name. Gignac.

That would an interesting signing but I don't see it happening. We already have 5 promising strikers: Giovinco, Altidore, Ricketts, Hamilton and Akinola.

portu
01-14-2018, 12:01 AM
That would an interesting signing but I don't see it happening. We already have 5 promising strikers: Giovinco, Altidore, Ricketts, Hamilton and Akinola.
Maybe it's just me but i still really wanna see what they do with Jordan Hamilton this season. I buy into his potential to be at least a starter in this league. He needs first team minutes at a level above USL and if we sign another forward as the FO wishes that should push him further down the depth chart.

BenRhodes23
01-14-2018, 12:08 AM
Maybe it's just me but i still really wanna see what they do with Jordan Hamilton this season. I buy into his potential to be at least a starter in this league. He needs first team minutes at a level above USL and if we sign another forward as the FO wishes that should push him further down the depth chart.

I feel bad for the guy. I think it's best for his career that he leaves but I hope he doesn't

portu
01-14-2018, 12:13 AM
I feel bad for the guy. I think it's best for his career that he leaves but I hope he doesn't
The thing is where does he leave to? I feel like he might of gone out on loan to Europe again but his initial experience there was so poor i doubt it'll ever happen

BenRhodes23
01-14-2018, 01:30 AM
The thing is where does he leave to? I feel like he might of gone out on loan to Europe again but his initial experience there was so poor i doubt it'll ever happen

Maybe an MLS team that needs a striker. He'd at least make the bench on most teams in my opinion

Carter
01-14-2018, 08:09 AM
I’ve heard the rumour that JH isn’t exactly working his ass off during practices and that’s why he didn’t make many first team appearances. My source could be blowing smoke, who knows, but knowing what I know of The Gregfather, where there is smoke....

Ossington Mental Youth
01-15-2018, 06:44 AM

Not saying we'd sign him simply saying Europeans can play well against Mexican/Central American teams.

C.Ronaldo
01-15-2018, 10:15 AM
I’ve heard the rumour that JH isn’t exactly working his ass off during practices and that’s why he didn’t make many first team appearances. My source could be blowing smoke, who knows, but knowing what I know of The Gregfather, where there is smoke....

i think they would have cut him my now then.

Bradley demands that this team only has players of strong character. And players speak well of JH. Maybe he was lazy at one point, but MB would have torn him a new one by now

Carter
01-15-2018, 12:43 PM
i think they would have cut him my now then.

Bradley demands that this team only has players of strong character. And players speak well of JH. Maybe he was lazy at one point, but MB would have torn him a new one by now

Then why hasn’t he featured many first team minutes?

C.Ronaldo
01-15-2018, 12:44 PM
Then why hasn’t he featured many first team minutes?

gregs love for americans? really have no idea.

Spencer had his chances and was cut
JH did not have his chances, and was not cut

tough to figure out the logic

MightyDM
01-15-2018, 02:46 PM

At one point Varney seemed to say that he drifts in and out of games. Despite that, Hamilton has had excellent moments. The same criticism used to be levelled at Jozy ...

reggie
01-15-2018, 03:55 PM
Wolfsburg. Two players, one dream: the big breakthrough in Europe. Two young players from Canada are currently approaching this goal. Noble Okello and Mustafa Abdi Zakaria actually play in the youth academy of the MLS Cup winner FC Toronto, but are currently undergoing a trial training at the ...

saw this on twitter.yes im bored.

portu
01-15-2018, 04:55 PM
Maybe an MLS team that needs a striker. He'd at least make the bench on most teams in my opinion
i like this idea, DC only has three on the roster (no DP's) atm could be a decent spot

BenRhodes23
01-15-2018, 05:53 PM
i like this idea, DC only has three on the roster (no DP's) atm could be a decent spot

Maybe NE after getting rid of Kamara

portu
01-15-2018, 05:58 PM
Maybe NE after getting rid of Kamara
Not too confident of Hamilton having to compete with Nemeth and Agudelo

Ossington Mental Youth
01-15-2018, 06:05 PM
also id rather he stay here, gonna be playing in two tournaments and the league.
Not as worried about Hamiltons development as some.

Hamilton_Red
01-15-2018, 07:52 PM
Efrain Jaurez is a really poor and un-ambitious signing for Vancouver. Was a disaterous signing for Celtic - got only 10-15 starts after a 2Million pound deal. Hasn’t played for Mexico in years. Nerwinski better stay fit or they are toast.

Whitecaps have talented sophmore Jake Nerwinski and new signing Mexican international Efrain Juarez at RB. Looks like they've finally come in from the cold and sorted out their RB issues after giving up Beita three years ago. Long are the days of the Jordan Smith-Fraser Aird Neptune sized blackhole occupying the right side of the field for the Whitecaps.

Petrasso still seems unlikely to me. I don't think he's better than Hasler. Probably wouldn't push him the same way Beita or a player of his caliber would fight for minutes at that spot. Just very unambitious. Plus we gotta use our TAM on something. Seems the most obvious move to use it there.

molenshtain
01-15-2018, 09:15 PM
Efrain Jaurez is a really poor and un-ambitious signing for Vancouver. Was a disaterous signing for Celtic - got only 10-15 starts after a 2Million pound deal. Hasn’t played for Mexico in years. Nerwinski better stay fit or they are toast.

Mexican footballer in unable to adapt to thuggish scottish football,dark skies, air thick with depression and haggis schocker!. Color me not surprised. His resume in mexico speaks for itself. He'll be a fine RB and so will Nerwinski.

Carter
01-15-2018, 09:54 PM

Touché kind sir!

Areathrasher
01-15-2018, 10:08 PM
Ives is linking TFC with USMNT winger/forward Rubio Rubin.

Supposedly. Can't access his article on Goal cos we are in Canada and Sporting News doesn't have it up on their site yet.

EDIT: VPNed it

Rubio Rubin is the only player in the current U.S. national team camp without a team, but that is drawing closer and closer to no longer being the case as he and Major League Soccer work toward reaching an agreement on a contract.
MLS is in negotiations with the 21-year-old forward, sources confirmed to Goalon Monday. Rubin is a free agent after leaving Norwegian side Stabaek at the end of last season, the second of two unsuccessful club stints in 2017. He also spent half a season with Danish side Silkeborg but managed just three appearances before a short stint in Norway.
At least four MLS teams are interest in acquiring Rubin, who will have to go through the allocation order, which is used to determine where returning U.S. national team players go in MLS. The interested teams, which one source says includes MLS Cup winner Toronto FC and expansion side Los Angeles FC, are hoping to land the player who looked so good with the U.S. at the 2015 U-20 World Cup.

Rubin looked destined for success when, at age 18, he made his senior U.S. national team debut, starting in an exhibition loss to Colombia in November 2014. Earlier that year he turned pro by signing with Dutch side Utrecht after establishing himself as one of the top prospects in American soccer.

The U-20 World Cup was his breakout event, as he tied as the U.S. team's leading scorer in its run to the quarterfinals, where the Americans were beaten by eventual champion Serbia. Rubin was unable to build on that success, though, as a serious ankle injury sidelined him for much of the next year.
Rubin left Utrecht a year ago, but his subsequent stints in Denmark and Norway failed to generate a stable situation. His status as one of the better forward prospects in the U.S. pipeline earned him a place in the January national team camp, despite the fact he is a free agent and hadn't played much in recent months.
Despite the time out of the spotlight, Rubin is still a sought-after target by several MLS teams. He also has drawn interest from clubs in Liga MX, though at this point an MLS deal looks more likely.

portu
01-15-2018, 10:54 PM
Ives is linking TFC with USMNT winger/forward Rubio Rubin.

Supposedly. Can't access his article on Goal cos we are in Canada and Sporting News doesn't have it up on their site yet.

EDIT: VPNed it
Worth a punt, but yet again I ask the question what does this mean for JHams would effectively be our 5th striker in the rotation

djcuse
01-16-2018, 12:01 AM
Just removed any written remarks to being associated with Toronto FC on his twitter and instagram signatures.

Maybe i'm reading too much into this, but definately worth looking more into.

BenRhodes23
01-16-2018, 12:10 AM
Weird. Will be interesting to see what developments, if any, come from this.

reggie
01-16-2018, 12:13 AM
i noticed that also.it is strange,maybe our sleeping jurnos will look into that

djcuse
01-16-2018, 12:20 AM
Possibly a last ditch effort to resign Beitashour? Few journo's said that Beita to LAFC was a done deal last week, but here we are a week later and he is still a free agent.
He made close to Mavinga's salary last season as well. My guess is Mav's is wanting a hefty raise.

James17930
01-16-2018, 02:25 AM
Sigh.

I was hoping there would be no drama this off-season ...

Blindside16
01-16-2018, 05:13 AM
I don't know if I would read to much into it yet. His profile picture on instagram and twitter is still one of the hype photos from the playoffs last year. On his Instagram page he has "Loading........ (with a wire and electrical plug)" , considering how active he is on social media I think this may just be his version of getting ready for pre-season. We will find out for sure in a week when training camp opens.

Areathrasher
01-16-2018, 08:54 AM
Well, this doesn't look good.

Canary10
01-16-2018, 09:52 AM
Mavinga would be a massive loss. He's probably the best CB in the league (the rest of the league just isn't quite as aware of him yet). If not the best overall, then at least the best tackler. I've never seen a guy tackle like him. I REALLY hope we keep him. His contribution to this season isn't as visible as someone like Vazquez, but it's in the same ballpark.

OgtheDim
01-16-2018, 09:52 AM
Just removed any written remarks to being associated with Toronto FC on his twitter and instagram signatures.

He definately did not scrub his Twitter of TFC. He retweeted Jozy's "shithole" tweet and still has up stuff from December about TFC.

He's in France right now. There's a passing reference to some team that could have had him when he wasn't under contract but that's about it.

Nothing to see here I suspect.

Canary10
01-16-2018, 10:00 AM
He definately did not scrub his Twitter of TFC. He retweeted Jozy's "shithole" tweet and still has up stuff from December about TFC.

He's in France right now. There's a passing reference to some team that could have had him when he wasn't under contract but that's about it.

Fingers crossed.

C.Ronaldo
01-16-2018, 10:05 AM
At one point Varney seemed to say that he drifts in and out of games. Despite that, Hamilton has had excellent moments. The same criticism used to be levelled at Jozy ...

isnt that what pure strikers do? Reminds me of Defoe (without all the mommy issues)

C.Ronaldo
01-16-2018, 10:11 AM
Mavinga would be a massive loss. He's probably the best CB in the league (the rest of the league just isn't quite as aware of him yet). If not the best overall, then at least the best tackler. I've never seen a guy tackle like him. I REALLY hope we keep him. His contribution to this season isn't as visible as someone like Vazquez, but it's in the same ballpark.

Mavinga and VV are the final pieces. you need both of this this thing to work aswell as it does.

His sliding tackles are pure joy to watch. He;s mastered the sliding reach around ;)

Areathrasher
01-16-2018, 10:12 AM

He's talking about the description's in his profiles

Canary10
01-16-2018, 10:42 AM
Mavinga and VV are the final pieces. you need both of this this thing to work aswell as it does.

His sliding tackles are pure joy to watch. He;s mastered the sliding reach around ;)

Totally!!

nonc
01-16-2018, 10:49 AM
TFC made Mavinga's career relevant again and his $300,000 guaranteed was a pretty good mutual deal, I don't think he's going anywhere or seems like he wants to.

Bless Irwin but he can barely move anymore and takes a big salary, I don't understand why he hasn't been moved considering the cap space situation.

Carter
01-16-2018, 11:21 AM
Bless Irwin but he can barely move anymore and takes a big salary, I don't understand why he hasn't been moved considering the cap space situation.
Cause we would be screwed if Bono goes down injured... and we need 2 keepers on the roster. Remember we released Pais.

Areathrasher
01-16-2018, 11:34 AM
The roster as it stands right now

Goalkeepers (2): Alex Bono, Clint Irwin
Defenders (6): Nick Hagglund, Nicolas Hasler, Chris Mavinga, Ashtone Morgan, Justin Morrow, Drew Moor
Midfielders (5): Michael Bradley, Jay Chapman, Marky Delgado, Jonathan Osorio, Victor Vazquez
Forwards (5): Jozy Altidore, Sebastian Giovinco, Jordan Hamilton, Tosaint Ricketts, Ayo Akinola

Still no word on a new deal for Zavs and now this Mavinga stuff....

portu
01-16-2018, 12:31 PM

The hell is going on Mavinga is liking tweets of fans saying he should maybe return to Europe and another about him going to Montreal (link below) front office needs to figure out their shit

https://twitter.com/jayt1815_jeremy/status/952897922940665857

portu
01-16-2018, 12:34 PM
https://twitter.com/chris_mavinga/status/952681001041518592

This makes it sound like the only thing stopping him from going to Montreal is being under contract with us. Honestly beginning to lose any affinity I had for the guy

Carter
01-16-2018, 12:41 PM
https://twitter.com/chris_mavinga/status/952681001041518592

This makes it sound like the only thing stopping him from going to Montreal is being under contract with us. Honestly beginning to lose any affinity I had for the guy
My French is horrid, but to me it looks like he said, at the time when he was available blue and black had the opportunity to sign him but a proposal never got to him.

@Chris_MavingaReplying to @mrfootdefootI am still under contract so I am not the only decision maker. The team in blue and black as you said had all these chances at the time but their proposal never reached me

Gringo Starr
01-16-2018, 12:51 PM
The response is saying that he is under contract so any return to Europe would not solely be up to him and in regards to the Impact he simply says that they had their chance like everyone else but but no offer ever came his way

Guys the dude loves winning so much why would he leave for anywhere else in MLS

nonc
01-16-2018, 01:04 PM
Cause we would be screwed if Bono goes down injured... and we need 2 keepers on the roster. Remember we released Pais.

Of course we need a second keeper but imo we can do better than Irwin for a lot less money. Crepeau for instance at $80,000.

Jack
01-16-2018, 01:09 PM
I wouldn’t read too much into his Twitter “likes”. Anyway, as he said...under contract.

Carter
01-16-2018, 01:10 PM
Of course we need a second keeper but imo we can do better than Irwin for a lot less money. Crepeau for instance at $80,000.

Hypothetically speaking, we dump Irwin, pick up Crepeau, and Bono doesn’t get hurt, does it fit with what Crepeau is looking for in a team? Does he turn into a locker room cancer?

“Martineau reported on Wednesday that Crepeau, 23, feels his playing time will be limited in 2018 and wants to pursue his career elsewhere.”

jabbronies
01-16-2018, 01:20 PM
Hypothetically speaking, we dump Irwin, pick up Crepeau, and Bono doesn’t get hurt, does it fit with what Crepeau is looking for in a team? Does he turn into a locker room cancer?

“Martineau reported on Wednesday that Crepeau, 23, feels his playing time will be limited in 2018 and wants to pursue his career elsewhere.”

Why would you pick up Crepeau? Aside from the low salary - guy wants to be a starter - so not like he'd come here to play backup.

portu
01-16-2018, 01:21 PM
Crepeau wants minutes tho. I think we can get a guy out of the draft that can do a job. I put it in the draft thread but I think Caldwell is talented and could make a step up at the next level

OgtheDim
01-16-2018, 01:22 PM
Nice of ya'll to provide off season content for the journos

https://twitter.com/JohnMolinaro/status/953321140511846400

(Og waves to Molinaro) :seeya:

T.O TILL I DIE
01-16-2018, 02:29 PM
If he goes to MTL he will be my most hated toronto fc player..

Derko
01-16-2018, 02:44 PM
You guys are so desperate for controversy. Raving like Donald Trump lunatics. Grow up

egiaco88
01-16-2018, 03:24 PM
https://twitter.com/Chris_Mavinga/status/953360275088044032

nonc
01-16-2018, 03:38 PM
What Crepeau wants is unrealistic and he might know that now. Playing for a bigger club, more cup games for him, possible Bono call-ups; I doubt his previous comments would be an issue.

BenRhodes23
01-16-2018, 03:55 PM
Why would Mavinga even reply to tweets about going elsewhere... Seems unprofessional

Cas87
01-16-2018, 03:57 PM
Why would Mavinga even reply to tweets about going elsewhere... Seems unprofessional

Trolling the MTL fans? :noidea:

OgtheDim
01-16-2018, 04:36 PM
https://twitter.com/chris_mavinga/status/953360275088044032

RPB forum gets results!!!!

James17930
01-16-2018, 05:08 PM
You guys are so desperate for controversy. Raving like Donald Trump lunatics. Grow up

That's too far.

No one's 'desperate for controversy.' More like, 'worried about the status of one of our best players.'

T.O TILL I DIE
01-16-2018, 05:19 PM
Very unprofessional and childish actually. Maybe he forgot Montreal is Torontos rival in all sports..

molenshtain
01-16-2018, 05:57 PM

Cavelluzzo was routinely putting in inspired performances for the reserves last year. Would not at all be surprised if they view him as a potential replacement for Irwin, and even an eventual replacement for when Bono goes to Europe.

molenshtain
01-16-2018, 06:08 PM
isnt that what pure strikers do? Reminds me of Defoe (without all the mommy issues)

Pure strikers who are so good at scoring the defense and work rate come secondary, maybe. Even than they are for every system. Sturridge is a good case scenario of the type of player Hamilton is on and off the pitch (Though Hamilton thankfully doesn't seem to have much at all of Sturridge's suffocating cocksure nature). They can score, but if you're attitude isn't totally there and you don't provide much defensive cover, create goals for other, hold the ball up or anything else that comes along being a striker than there's going to be a lot of situations where having you on the field may not be such a great option and your ceiling will always be very limited.

The idea that strikers are just guys who are supposed to cherry pick up top hasn't been true in football since about 2003.

ag futbol
01-16-2018, 06:34 PM
^ I think what you’re saying is more and more true in the modern game. You see lots of guys (Aguero for example) that earn plaudits for how many other things they do for the team besides just score.

That said, you can still get away with being a lazy asshole if you put the ball in the net with regularity. The problem for Hamilton is he doesn’t reach that level of prolific where soft performances are tolerated.

Jack
01-16-2018, 08:10 PM
He’s active on Twitter and guys were talking to him. He bantered back. It’s not unprofessional in the slightest. He’s a young man who Ian having some fun on social media, like millions of others.

Trolling the MTL fans? :noidea:
This.

Very unprofessional and childish actually. Maybe he forgot Montreal is Torontos rival in all sports..
Ohh no...he tweeted some banter! Take a few deep breaths and get over it ;)

Oldtimer
01-16-2018, 10:41 PM
Lol. Every journalist reads this thread for it's crappy rumours.

https://www.wakingthered.com/platform/amp/2018/1/16/16898318/unpacking-the-chris-mavinga-drama-or-lack-thereof-toronto-fc-mls-transfer-rumours?utm_campaign=wakingthered&utm_content=chorus&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter&__twitter_impression=true