PDA

View Full Version : MLS raising TAM for 2018/19

TFC1154ever
12-08-2017, 03:17 PM
“In what is kind of a holy shit moment for the league spending, MLS adds $2.8m in discretionary TAM for 2018 and 2019 seasons. That’s above and beyond $1.2m all teams receive.”

Like I’ve said in earlier threads, I think we’re going after Atiba Hutchison during the summer. This is allow us to do it.

ensco
12-08-2017, 03:21 PM
They can think bigger than Hutchinson if they want to.

If TAM is $4M, they can probably do some shuffling to buy Jozy down below DP level, freeing up the DP slot

paul-collins
12-08-2017, 03:24 PM
At a minimum we now know Victor is back

TFC1154ever
12-08-2017, 04:18 PM
They can think bigger than Hutchinson if they want to.

If TAM is $4M, they can probably do some shuffling to buy Jozy down below DP level, freeing up the DP slot

He makes a bit to much to buy him down. They can basically buy down a player that makes 1.5 mill. Obviously, that’s not including the fact Irwin’s salary, Cheyrou’s salary, and possibly Cooper’s salary could all off the books next year.

Initial B
12-08-2017, 05:00 PM
Note that of that TAM, $2.8 million per year is discretionary, team funded, and cannot be traded. This could be the beginning of the end for parity, as that would allow teams to spend up to 1/3rd more than the league provided money, allowing the richer teams like TFC, NYCFC, Seattle, Atlanta, LAFC, LAG to spend some serious cash in the off-season. What would an extra $155K per starting 18 position be able to get you in terms of quality players?

urdiub
12-08-2017, 05:23 PM
I feel like this will force the cheap owners of the league to spend some more $$$ to stay competitive. Which could grow the league even further. Got to say this also closes the gap between MLS and top Liga MX teams. I can imagine another Mavinga and Vazquez for us puts us in serious discussion for the CCL.

I've always wanted to visit Abu Dhabi... :D

BenRhodes23
12-08-2017, 07:36 PM
I want to see a bigger name than Atiba. Junior Hoilett anyone?

Richard
12-08-2017, 07:39 PM

How about we get the best player with the money available. Lets not limit our self to Canada.

JoeM
12-08-2017, 07:45 PM
How about we get the best player with the money available. Lets not limit our self to Canada.

I say this endlessly but there are people set on our team being as Canadian as possible. I think we should be as good as possible but to each their own.

BenRhodes23
12-08-2017, 09:11 PM

I agree with your point. I think Hoilett adds skill as well as being Canadian.

OgtheDim
12-08-2017, 09:41 PM
I think the needs for next year will be dependent upon who leaves.

Areathrasher
12-08-2017, 11:54 PM
Couple of south americans. Not going to beat Tigres without a couple. Fight fire with fire innit.

ensco
12-09-2017, 12:15 AM
Fracking hell. Who cares about new guys? I'm paying it all to every last one of our guys because they will win MLS Cup tomorrow.

Areathrasher
12-09-2017, 01:00 AM
Thankfully, you aint the coffee boy GM

ag futbol
12-09-2017, 01:21 AM
If someone came out of the blue and said "we really need to spend that TAM money on a 34 year old RB / box-to-box mid with recent injury concerns" I'd think regardless of that players reputation people would take a long second look at it. Now add the word Canadian, and you have Atiba Hutchinson. I simply can't see this as a good use of money or a priority. Any deal there is going to have to have "home town discount" stamped on it.

We need to be looking at adding a more reliable 3rd striker, a quality attack-minded midfield piece who can excel in wide areas, or potentially a CB if Moor regresses or Hanglund can never stay healthy.

portu
12-09-2017, 03:06 AM
If someone came out of the blue and said "we really need to spend that TAM money on a 34 year old RB / box-to-box mid with recent injury concerns" I'd think regardless of that players reputation people would take a long second look at it. Now add the word Canadian, and you have Atiba Hutchinson. I simply can't see this as a good use of money or a priority. Any deal there is going to have to have "home town discount" stamped on it.

We need to be looking at adding a more reliable 3rd striker, a quality attack-minded midfield piece who can excel in wide areas, or potentially a CB if Moor regresses or Hanglund can never stay healthy.This^. Atiba is 34, Bradley and Vazquez early 30s. That is not the way to build for the future.

There are obvious upgrades to be made at Keeper, Centreback, Rightback, Centre-midfield and at back-up Striker, which need to be addressed. The group has done extremely well in MLS play, but now the squad needs to be compared to those we will be playing CCL, particularly Liga MX sides.

The one position I think we can afford to leave is Bono's as he is clearly a player who is only going to grow from here.

Hagglund/Zavaleta can obviously be improved upon, especially considering Moor's age.

Beitashour is a good defensive piece but lacks the ability to be a goal threat, whilst Hasler is adequate defensively and is a goal threat. One will probably go this off-season, meaning there will be a gap and adding a quality two-way wide player would balance our side, which tends to go through the left to attack because of Morrow.

Delgado, Cooper and Osorio all compete for minutes, but Delgado has shown himself to be a real prospect, so Cooper or Osorio will go (prob Cooper). With Cooper gone you sign another central player to maintain the depth of the side and ideally that player is someone of the quality of Vazquez, except in the mold of the kind of player you would ideally have Delgado be. Delgado can then rotate in and compete for minutes with a quality player. Sidenote: Cheyrou is retiring and without him we will have only one D-mid on the roster (Bradley).

Ricketts is not good enough. Neither is Spencer. I rate Hamilton, but he needs starting minutes. He's young enough that he can go on loan in MLS, I'd like to see that happen with a side like DC or perhaps LAFC which would be in need of a third striker. At risk of going for the Canadian bias, I'd love to see Cavallini here. I think he's similar enough to Jozy to be a like for like sub, has experience in central and south america (CCL relevant) and is young enough to still grow.

Kind of went off but whatever I can't sleep waiting for this game today.

RealG-TFC
12-09-2017, 07:28 AM
While I could see Cooper a lwaving, I feel like he might be perfect for a CCL run.

I'd love for us to go the Atlanta route and get some young South Americans.

Globetrotter
12-09-2017, 09:53 AM
Please correct the math or fix for any screw ups of not knowing the rules...

Players 12-22 (11 guys) at average of $100,000 totals 1.1M cap
3 DP's at 335,000 totals 1M cap

That leaves 1.74M for 8 guys (217,500 each)

Enter 4M TAM.

Assume 1.5M will go to VV (217,500+ 1.3 TAM... max is 1.5 TAM?)

That leaves 7 players for 2.7M TAM, $385,715 each, so their total salary would be $603,215.

That's 4 players making 1.5M+, and 7 players making 600K+. That's your starting 11.

Now think of all the good players on the team making 300-400K, and they're replaced by 600K guys.

Maybe I'm breaking the rules (because I dont know them), but what an increase in quality this could mean.

Shway
12-09-2017, 10:03 AM
We need to be looking at adding a more reliable 3rd striker, a quality attack-minded midfield piece who can excel in wide areas, or potentially a CB if Moor regresses or Hanglund can never stay healthy.

3rd Striker - We have that in Ricketts and Hamiton
Attack Minded Wide MF - Raheem is that guy, just needs the consistent opportunity (ever since his red card in the Voyaguers Cup, he lost his place and form)
CB - is the main position only because of what you stated as Moor is regressing, and Hagglund can't stay healthy but is a sure starter when he is.

All in all with this extra money, I do hope it allows us to bring in younger elite talent ala Atlanta which will allow us to sustain and improve our core.
We also should be in a position where some academy players can come in.

Shway
12-09-2017, 11:08 AM
I feel like this will force the cheap owners of the league to spend some more $$$ to stay competitive. Which could grow the league even further. Got to say this also closes the gap between MLS and top Liga MX teams. I can imagine another Mavinga and Vazquez for us puts us in serious discussion for the CCL.

I've always wanted to visit Abu Dhabi... :D

Can even pinch some Liga MX talent, like Javier Aquino who's a free agent this winter.

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/liga-mx-apertura/endendevertraege/wettbewerb/MEXA

Detroit_TFC
12-09-2017, 11:08 AM
This was a surprising development. I'd expect a large in flux of South American players.

oldtraffordPEI
12-09-2017, 11:47 AM
I have faith in Bez. He probably has a book of players on is wish list. He found us Vasquez, and he wasnt on any of our radars. Just watch, he will pull another gem out of his ass again.

This is great for us, and great for the league. Winning an MLS Cup would really solidify ourselves as a MLS destination for future signings.

portu
12-09-2017, 12:29 PM
Bring Gilberto back as a sub (I kid but not really)

Ajax TFC
12-09-2017, 12:44 PM
Id expect they'll sign a player in the mould of Cheyrou in their mid to late 20s to fill the box to box mid role. Delgado has done well there, but he's the really only one adequate for that role on the team and an upgrade there could bee a tangible improvement to the team

BenRhodes23
12-09-2017, 01:55 PM
I don't think we should get rid of Cooper or Osorio but I think another midfielder is needed for CCL depth.

Defoe
12-09-2017, 03:02 PM
Exciting times... MLS is moving FAST. This is actually quite a big deal

Gazza_55
12-10-2017, 01:28 PM
“In what is kind of a holy shit moment for the league spending, MLS adds $2.8m in discretionary TAM for 2018 and 2019 seasons. That’s above and beyond $1.2m all teams receive.”

Like I’ve said in earlier threads, I think we’re going after Atiba Hutchison during the summer. This is allow us to do it.

The kicker is you can spend all $5.6m in 2018 if you want.

Derko
12-10-2017, 01:52 PM
I agree with your point. I think Hoilett adds skill as well as being Canadian.

I want us dearly to keep our Canadian identity but we have that with Oso, Edwards, Hamilton, Chapman, Ricketts, even Morgan, If we lose a starter ala Cheyrou, Moor, Cooper, don't limit ourselves to Canadians, as was said get the best players money can buy at those positions we need to fill. That is good management. This is football and you have to be shrewd or we get left behind.

AdamAM
12-10-2017, 03:22 PM
We need a rightback who can match Morrow's quality; hard to find in MLS but can be found abroad, probably from a mid-level club in a tier 2 European league (Belgium, Holland etc.) Also depth at midfield and some decent backup strikers with room to grow would be nice considering the amount of games we'll be playing next season. But I think a new rightback is essential right now, if we have 2 Morrows stretching the play we could see an even better season than this one.

Why are we looking to upgrade on Delgado btw? His cap hit vs. how he plays is fantastic, finding someone to beat his quality would probably eat up most of these new funds

ag futbol
12-10-2017, 05:26 PM
3rd Striker - We have that in Ricketts and Hamiton
Attack Minded Wide MF - Raheem is that guy, just needs the consistent opportunity (ever since his red card in the Voyaguers Cup, he lost his place and form)
CB - is the main position only because of what you stated as Moor is regressing, and Hagglund can't stay healthy but is a sure starter when he is.

All in all with this extra money, I do hope it allows us to bring in younger elite talent ala Atlanta which will allow us to sustain and improve our core.
We also should be in a position where some academy players can come in.
IMO neither Hamilton or Ricketts has played consistently enough to be given that task full time. Given Edwards improvement over the years I can believe he'd be useful in wide areas; however, I'd still put focus on another player who can provide a creative threat from MLS play.

Masked in all this is Giovinco hasn't scored a goal in open play since August. When Altidore is not available we need someone who is either going to help fill up the net or get more out of Giovinco in open play.

League will potentially improve a lot with this new money. We need to make the most of it to stay competitive.

Kaz
12-10-2017, 05:51 PM

Not bigger names... stronger players.

Gio proves the name is much less important than the ability.

Find a bench warmer that gets subbed on occasion from the right team with the right skills... and it could be a big deal. ... just not a bloody one.

Auzzy
12-11-2017, 06:56 PM
If you've got 22 minutes to spare, this guy explains it all, old/new TAM & all the rest:

https://www.pscp.tv/PaulTenorio/1RDxlnZZWWzGL

Initial B
12-11-2017, 07:13 PM
I was just crunching some numbers based on Matt Doyle's Salary Cap article from earlier this year and tweaked it with the new Discretionary TAM and expected 5% salary cap increase. Each team can spend up to $8.9 million on their rosters, not including what 3 DPs make outside of what counts against the cap. That is some serious coin compared to a lot of leagues in the world. If the average DP is expected to make somewhere in the $4-5 Million range, then the spending MLS teams could be expected to craft rosters of $20 million dollars or more if they really wanted to. That would raise the average to something approaching Liga MX levels, which is around $30 million USD.

troy1982
12-13-2017, 10:09 AM
I was just crunching some numbers based on Matt Doyle's Salary Cap article from earlier this year and tweaked it with the new Discretionary TAM and expected 5% salary cap increase. Each team can spend up to $8.9 million on their rosters, not including what 3 DPs make outside of what counts against the cap. That is some serious coin compared to a lot of leagues in the world. If the average DP is expected to make somewhere in the $4-5 Million range, then the spending MLS teams could be expected to craft rosters of $20 million dollars or more if they really wanted to. That would raise the average to something approaching Liga MX levels, which is around $30 million USD.

Do you have any proof that the average Liga MX salary is $30 million?
The last figure i remember seeing was that TFC spends more than every Liga MX team when the impact were in the CONCACAF Finals.

According to the GLOBAL SPORTS SALARIES by sports intelligence: http://globalsportssalaries.com/GSSS%202017.pdf

TFC would be:
15th in Seria A,
15th in La Liga,
13th in the Bundesliga
7th in Ligue 1,
2nd in Scotland (Almost tied with Celtic)
in 2017 for salary spending

they don't have the Liga MX salary however

Initial B
12-13-2017, 10:22 AM
I was comparing League values on Transfermarkt to come up with that opinion. However I doubt the Mexican teams have gone full-bore into analytics like MLS clubs have, so MLS teams might be getting better bang for their buck.

troy1982
12-13-2017, 10:34 AM
Alright, keep in mind the value of a player and salary are two completely different things.
Unless something has changed significantly in Liga MX over the last 4 years, then I feel safe to assume that TFC still out spends ever team in that league as before ever without the extra TAM .

shwade
12-13-2017, 12:05 PM
I LOVE IT. This is huge in increasing the overall quality of teams and the quality of play in MLS. No more Disney parity bullshit.
Teams that want to win can spend the money and those who don't want to spend the money and just looking for a write off can fuck off and have their teams relocated (looking at the Crew and Revs).