PDA

View Full Version : The Sublime Goal

ensco
11-30-2017, 11:50 PM
https://www.torontofc.ca/post/2017/11/29/jozy-altidore-goal-november-29-2017

I just want to put this in one place so I can enjoy it for the next few decades. Every element of the goal was amazing, and showed something special.

Seba had no business winning that long ball, or controlling it. That's not his game. Which made this part of the play incredible - Seba as target man! you have to be kidding me. Once he had it, skill Seba took over, he pulled the string with that backheel. Seba wasn't at his best for this game, but who cares? He sure was world class here.

Altidore one touched the backheeled ball to Vazquez at full speed. Nifty. Every talks about Jozy in Beast Mode, but what a touch.

Vazquez turns and feints. Then he puts the ball right where he just faked the move. OK, Victor is a great passer, but even still, you have to be kidding me, part 2. That was unreal.

Columbus is not really fooled by any of this. They have been disciplined throughout, superb really, and are marking closely every player involved in this move. But they have collectively just been beaten, by the tiniest of margins.

Jozy, on one leg, has no real angle. He plants his ankle, and hits it with his bad foot. A millimeter either way and that ball is stopped, or wide.

———————————

Sublime is a word you see all the time in soccer. I was not totally sure what it meant, until yesterday. Webster's says:

“it is of such excellence, grandeur, or beauty as to inspire great admiration or awe.”

Now I think I know what it means.

Jozy's goal, last night, I am convinced, given all these elements, and the context, is one of the great goals in MLS history, and is the greatest goal in TFC history, and will be for a long time to come.

Hamilton_Red
12-01-2017, 12:18 AM
It really was sublime. Perfect description. If you have kids playing the game..make them watch that goal over and over. It was the moment.

Hamilton_Red
12-01-2017, 12:34 AM
Fuck sake...you won't see many better team goals than that.

Blindside16
12-01-2017, 02:43 AM
I had a gut feeling when he fought so hard to stay on, that he was going to do something special. I never realized how special it would turn out to be. World class all around.

PizzaEatingYeti
12-01-2017, 06:28 AM
https://www.torontofc.ca/post/2017/11/29/jozy-altidore-goal-november-29-2017

I just want to put this in one place so I can enjoy it for the next few decades. Every element of the goal was amazing, and showed something special.

Seba had no business winning that long ball, or controlling it. That's not his game. Which made this part of the play incredible - Seba as target man! you have to be kidding me. Once he had it, skill Seba took over, he pulled the string with that backheel. Seba wasn't at his best for this game, but who cares? He sure was world class here.

Altidore one touched the backheeled ball to Vazquez at full speed. Nifty. Every talks about Jozy in Beast Mode, but what a touch.

Vazquez turns and feints. Then he puts the ball right where he just faked the move. OK, Victor is a great passer, but even still, you have to be kidding me, part 2. That was unreal.

Columbus is not really fooled by any of this. They have been disciplined throughout, superb really, and are marking closely every player involved in this move. But they have collectively just been beaten, by the tiniest of margins.

Jozy, on one leg, has no real angle. He plants his bad ankle, which does not buckle. A millimeter either way and that ball is stopped, or wide.

Great detail description of this great goal!

I may be a homer when saying this (I think I am not, but how can I know?...) but IMHO no defense in the world could have stopped this goal to happen.

Here's why:

All our 3 star players involved in the play made all their moves to a perfection.
Perfection moves by multiple players can be anihilated only by perfection moves of the opponent multiple payers involved in the same play (but only if they are as good players as the first group of players).

The chance of this happening when we have at least 3 players in each group is zero!

Auzzy
12-01-2017, 08:14 AM
"The Video Room" took a look at the goal... https://www.torontofc.ca/post/2017/11/30/video-room-altidore-vs-columbus?autoplay=true

andyc
12-01-2017, 10:25 AM
Amazing goal on any day but given the circumstances it absolutely will be one of those burnt in memories... Amazing to be able so say we witnessed it in person!