PDA

View Full Version : Hearsay: Looks Like TFC is Getting Gerba

maninb
08-01-2008, 07:21 AM
After our kick-around last night we ran into Mo and his missus at a pub in the Beaches last night..He said that they will have a NEW STRIKER in the line-up Sunday, barring something unforeseen. I asked if it was Dickov, and he said no it's ALI GERBA! Barret and Gerba are certainly a step up from SDmith and Ibrahim!

TOBOR !
08-01-2008, 07:22 AM
!!!!!!!!!!!

Shaughno
08-01-2008, 07:23 AM
Didn't Gerba just agree to a contract with someone else???

Roogsy
08-01-2008, 07:24 AM
There is about about MK Dons signing him...

All this conjecture is killing me! LOL!

Shaughno
08-01-2008, 07:27 AM
Also.. wouldn't he have to be officially signed today in order for him to play Sunday??

13CP
08-01-2008, 07:27 AM
:O !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

kitchener-TFC
08-01-2008, 07:31 AM
I'm gonna take this with a grain of salt, although I don't want to. Remember all of those threads saying that Dickov is ours, and Sukur signed with TFC?
I'll wait for the press release, although it's killing me :P.

justin
08-01-2008, 07:31 AM
i just checked the MK Dons website and they didn't have anything up about signing gerba, so maybe its possible...but i'm not gonna count on it.

maninb
08-01-2008, 07:35 AM
Absolutely take it with a grain of salt...but I'm just repeating what he told us...He was yakking on the phone most of the night, and his wife was getting real pissed...Did ya know he only drinks champagne!!! Can't believe a Scot who doesn't drink beer!!!

kitchener-TFC
08-01-2008, 07:38 AM
What pub? hehe

Pachuco
08-01-2008, 07:41 AM
you sure he wasn't pulling your leg? I'm starting to think Mo does shit like that.

kingjerk
08-01-2008, 07:41 AM
He's gotta be messing around. It'd be great if it was true, but I can see him having some fun knowing that it would end up on the message board eventually

BuSaPuNk
08-01-2008, 07:43 AM
Apparently he is a free agent so how knows, it might happen. There was also talk of him going to San Jose though too so.....let's just see what happens today. I think the Dickov is more possible to happen today that Gerba.

maninb
08-01-2008, 07:43 AM
What pub? hehe

The Gull on Queen St.

canadian_bhoy
08-01-2008, 07:44 AM
Am I the only one who isn't that excited about this?

He's played for the Impact, Lynx, Scandinavian teams (which were relegated) and now is looking to an England Div 1 team?

Sounds like the 2008 version of Chris Pozniak (good player, but not the life saver we need)

maninb
08-01-2008, 07:45 AM
He's gotta be messing around. It'd be great if it was true, but I can see him having some fun knowing that it would end up on the message board eventually

Absolutely he could just be messing about...But he was trying to swing some kinda deal, and he was insisting that the player he was talking about be available for the Dallas game Sunday..so who knows?

Roogsy
08-01-2008, 07:45 AM
I am not excited at this possibility either...but at least it provides some backup at the striker position in at least a capable manner. He CAN score...we have seen it. We just have to accept that he isn't going to light the board on fire. Besides...this could be one of those signings that also help the national team.

Still...it's not a sure thing...just another rumour.

Inswingingwingman
08-01-2008, 07:51 AM
I was having a leak in a peeler bar and ran into Mo. I think it was in Scarberia. I was drunk and high but I swear on a stack of bibles he didn't talk to me. But I overheard him tell a peeler that $20 bucks was too much money for a chick with buck teeth. He then gave a blonde a copy of the lineup for the next game, and she left with a guy in a trench coat. I think they were spies cause they had name tags on and backpacks and copies of Watchtower.

His wife was enjoying herself.....somewhere else.

Is that a good enough made up rumour for here?

LOL

N

Shaughno
08-01-2008, 07:58 AM
I was having a leak in a peeler bar and ran into Mo. I think it was in Scarberia. I was drunk and high but I swear on a stack of bibles he didn't talk to me. But I overheard him tell a peeler that $20 bucks was too much money for a chick with buck teeth. He then gave a blonde a copy of the lineup for the next game, and she left with a guy in a trench coat. I think they were spies cause they had name tags on and backpacks and copies of Watchtower.

LOL

N

Mint! :lol:

Smenge
08-01-2008, 08:04 AM
...If Mo is celebrating the signing of Gerba, this team is fucked.

Ossington Mental Youth
08-01-2008, 08:19 AM

He's played for the Impact, Lynx, Scandinavian teams (which were relegated) and now is looking to an England Div 1 team?

Sounds like the 2008 version of Chris Pozniak (good player, but not the life saver we need)

Im with ya on this one.
Although hes had great success with the national team his personal career has been less than satisfactory

maninb
08-01-2008, 08:20 AM

LOL

N

If Gerba ends up playing for TFC you owe me a few beers! LOL!

I_AM_CANADIAN
08-01-2008, 08:21 AM
Yeah, one time I was on the subway and John Carver's dog suddenly ran on at Union Station and dropped a note on my foot saying that we were going to sign Pele, Maradona and Wayne Gretzky!

OMFGZ! Plan the parade!

arbogast
08-01-2008, 08:25 AM
i just checked the MK Dons website and they didn't have anything up about signing gerba, so maybe its possible...but i'm not gonna count on it.

If i'm not mistaken the news article about Gerba to Dons fails to mention any confirmation from the club itself, just a statement from Gerba himself:

"Canadian international Ali Gerba claims to have signed a contract with MK Dons."

http://www.miltonkeynes.co.uk/sport/Canadian-international-to-join-Dons.4344246.jp

DONS DENY Gerba's claim:

http://www.harlowstar.co.uk/mknews-sport-mkdons/

rocker
08-01-2008, 08:28 AM

I'm with you... Gerba's resume is very spotty. over the past 3 years he's been with 5 teams across the Swedish, Norwegian, Danish, and Bundesliga 2 leagues... and on those 5 teams he never played more than 15 games in a year. his strike rate over that time is about 1 goal every 5 games -- not good enough. Why does he keep moving around so much? My theory with guys like this is they show something coaches like in training or trials, but over the long haul, coaches realize the player has great flaws. Andy Welsh had that same background. Welsh was very good at certain skills but very bad at some key ones. Each coach probably thinks he can help these kinds of players put it all together.

If a guy is spending at least a couple seasons with teams, it usually means he has something good to offer and a team was interested in keeping him.

people point to his 9 goals in 18 games for Canada, but TFC doesn't have DeRo, DeGuz, and Hutchinson, and others helping him out. 13 goals in 62 club games is not good enough.

Technorgasm
08-01-2008, 08:28 AM
Fact is, we need a body inthat spot.

we can;t wait, we ned somethign NOW, if he isnt the long term solution greta but. . we need options and a solution, every moment that passes is damaging our post -season chance.

Im not too excited about this guy either, but what are we going to do? wait the rest o the season before we get what we need?

olegunnar
08-01-2008, 08:31 AM
Mo did say on extra time a few weeks ago that we'd get a Canadian striker.
I think at the time we on the boards were all hopeful it was Dero.

trane
08-01-2008, 08:39 AM
I would love to see Gerba in TFC red. Right now I would prefer him to De Ro just because our needs are greater at stiker then mid.

Northern Soul
08-01-2008, 08:48 AM
Well, Gerba certainly isn't the star striker we want, but I'll say this:

Gerba > Cunny - if ONLY for the fact that he's younger, and has played more on an international stage than the 'Strikeless Wonder'

Nuvinho
08-01-2008, 08:52 AM
They are going to introduce Barrett today. I was wondering why did they wait til today, when they could of done it on Wednesday or Thursday at practice. So it makes me think they will announce more than one today......maybe!!!

Shaughno
08-01-2008, 08:53 AM
They are going to introduce Barrett today. I was wondering why did they wait til today, when they could of done it on Wednesday or Thursday at practice. So it makes me think they will announce more than one today......maybe!!!

We can only hope!

MG42
08-01-2008, 08:56 AM
people point to his 9 goals in 18 games for Canada, but TFC doesn't have DeRo, DeGuz, and Hutchinson, and others helping him out. 13 goals in 62 club games is not good enough.

By this logic though you could conclude that with good service Gerba can score at a respectable rate...poor service=low goal tally, amazing service=goal every other game...I think if he does come here he would get good service...not amazing, not poor, just the middle of the road.

Phil
08-01-2008, 08:59 AM

It was pretty much stated from the outset that Barrett's first day in town would be Friday. Considering all the other rumours it would be nice to annouce this at the same time.

Shaughno
08-01-2008, 09:02 AM
By this logic though you could conclude that with good service Gerba can score at a respectable rate...poor service=low goal tally, amazing service=goal every other game...I think if he does come here he would get good service...not amazing, not poor, just the middle of the road.

I'd be interested to see what he can do beside Barrett with proper service from R/G/R giving them through balls and beauty crosses.

Jack
08-01-2008, 09:05 AM
Trane...sorry buddy, but you're insane.

DeRo, even played out of position at striker, would score more goals than Gerba.

Also, maninb, MoJo's not married.

Shaughno
08-01-2008, 09:07 AM

DeRo, even played out of position at striker, would score more goals than Gerba.

I agree about DeRo but! His secondary position is striker, so it's hardly 'out of position' ;)

koryo
08-01-2008, 09:08 AM
I'd be interested to see what he can do beside Barrett with proper service from R/G/R giving them through balls and beauty crosses.

Say this is true. We have one of the better Canadians on tap and he won't take up an SI spot, correct?

Could be a good depth addition.

maninb
08-01-2008, 09:09 AM

He's not married? Didn't know that..I've seen him with the same blonde chick 3 or 4 times now...I just assumed he was.

nimamalek
08-01-2008, 09:11 AM
was Kanu and Sukur with Mo when you saw him?

Shaughno
08-01-2008, 09:11 AM
Say this is true. We have one of the better Canadians on tap and he won't take up an SI spot, correct?

Could be a good depth addition.

Exactly, I don't see a reason NOT to like this deal if it goes through. We provide depth in a much needed position, especially with Dichio out. He's Canadian which helps boost both TFC and CMNT's profile and he doesn't take up an Int'l spot. How is this a bad thing?

Can you imagine if we kept Gerba, got DeRo within the next few years and kept Barrett? That would be a pacey, energetic front line that's for sure.

Beach_Red
08-01-2008, 09:12 AM
He's not married? Didn't know that..I've seen him with the same blonde chick 3 or 4 times now...I just assumed he was.

Yes, he's married and he has four kids. My son is in the same class as his twins.

brad
08-01-2008, 09:14 AM

Stats don't tell the whole picture though (remember Cunningham had 19 goals in 32 matches for RSL before coming here).

Of Gerba's goals, 4 of those came against St Vincent & Grenadines, a serious step down from MLS quality. Looking over his record, his other goals were against lesser opposition (like Guadalupe).

That said, I'd like to see him given a shot here, and I think he would make decent bench player, but I can't say I'd be overly disappointed if this isn't true.

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB
08-01-2008, 09:25 AM
Didnt SJ have the rights to gerba....as we did to HUcks! Wonder if it was a part of the deal when hucks went to SJ?

I like gerba....but i think DICKOV with Barrett getsus into the PLayoffs this year!

Inswingingwingman
08-01-2008, 09:27 AM
Cunny had all those goals at RSL due to the superior pitch. LOL LOL ROTFLOL

Ossington Mental Youth
08-01-2008, 09:45 AM
Nevermind just saw that someone else wrote the samething

Bobo
08-01-2008, 09:45 AM
I like gerba....but i think DICKOV with Barrett getsus into the PLayoffs this year!

May end up with all 3. Cunny would go and we can't count on Dichio for much now.

you sure he wasn't pulling your leg? I'm starting to think Mo does shit like that.

Of course, cause he knows people run home to their computers to tell everyone. It's like Carver pointing to our "new striker" in the stands. Rightfully so, but do you know how much complaining we do? I'm sure its tiresome for them.

DigzTFC!
08-01-2008, 09:46 AM
I hope this is true!!! This is a way better move for the long-term success of TFC. 25 year old striker costing 150-200K who is a Canadian. Remember this team wants to get a DP striker at some point and already have Guevara guaranteed at 2 of 4 years at the attacking midfield position. I mention this because thats usually the other position teams by DP at.

I know we all want to make playoffs this year, but I think these are pieces of the puzzle that will help us win a Championship rather than making the first round and getting out.

Barrett 23, Gerba 25, Ibbe 16, possible O'Brian White or Marcus Tracy....then spend the big bucks on a DP in his 30. That is a striker force to write home about that is affordable

Damien
08-01-2008, 09:47 AM
After our kick-around last night we ran into Mo and his missus at a pub in the Beaches last night..He said that they will have a NEW STRIKER in the line-up Sunday, barring something unforeseen. I asked if it was Dickov, and he said no it's ALI GERBA! Barret and Gerba are certainly a step up from SDmith and Ibrahim!

Maybe he was only talking about Barrett.

Ossington Mental Youth
08-01-2008, 09:48 AM

zactly what im thinking

Jack
08-01-2008, 09:50 AM
Yes, he's married and he has four kids. My son is in the same class as his twins.
I stand corrected...

DigzTFC!
08-01-2008, 09:55 AM
http://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/2008/07/31/tebily_dichio_tfc/

Not sure this proves anything more, but it does give some insight

"He's (Dickov) one of the options; obviously you can make people an offer, but whether they come back to you and accept that offer is another matter," Carver said. "Rather than putting all of our irons in one fire, we will have a look at two or three different options."

Also, I find it interesting that Gerba (who Mo said wanted 300K) would sign with MK Dons (which they have denied). I'd assume you'd get less than that in League 1, although I could be wrong about this (anyone). Gerba could be using the trial at MK Dons to leverage a contract with TFC who is unwilling to pay him close the max.

S_D
08-01-2008, 09:57 AM
not sold on Gerba. He hasn't done very well at the club level. Can't say I want Dickov more though because I don't know anything about the guy.

Can't see him playing for TFC this weekend either even if they intend to sign him. Have to fit in a trade with SJ for the discovery, get MLS to approve the paperwork, sign Gerba and then get MLS to approve that.

MLS seems to move at a snails pace so it won't happen.

DigzTFC!
08-01-2008, 10:06 AM
I was thinking the same thing S D. And considering what we got for Huckerby, I don't think SJ will just hand him over to us either. I really don't want give away a draft pick or allocation. Maybe Jarrod Smith....

S_D
08-01-2008, 10:11 AM
I agree. They will want everything back they gave us for Hucks even though he is the better player. Just being Canadian is more valuable to us,.

If they want Smith...no big loss as he is a fringe sub at best.

What nobody has mention though is the salary Gerba allegedly wanted last season... 300k

DigzTFC!
08-01-2008, 10:17 AM
I mentioned it above, but the MK Dons offer may have brought his price down. Does anyone know the average price for a league one player?

RealG-TFC
08-01-2008, 10:18 AM
BOMAYE!

Ossington Mental Youth
08-01-2008, 10:23 AM
300k with his history?
No thanks

mclaren
08-01-2008, 10:24 AM
Guys - we need to up our standards considerably - WHERE IS OUR DP STRIKER?!

DigzTFC!
08-01-2008, 10:24 AM
when we were kings....when we were kings!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N44vdCqI7LI

He won't be 300K. Mo would never sign him to that contract. Cunningham money maybe. Remeber Cunny should be off the books and possibly sold to Norway

Beach_Red
08-01-2008, 10:29 AM
I stand corrected...

Sorry, I wasn't sure if you were kidding....:)

denime
08-01-2008, 10:30 AM
Well according to this article that I posted yesterday in Canadian forum:
http://www.redpatchboys.ca/forums/showthread.php?t=4083

Canadian international to join Dons?

Canadian international Ali Gerba claims to have signed a contract with MK Dons.

http://www.miltonkeynes.co.uk/sport/Canadian-international-to-join-Dons.4344246.jp

Ossington Mental Youth
08-01-2008, 10:31 AM
when we were kings....when we were kings!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N44vdCqI7LI

He won't be 300K. Mo would never sign him to that contract. Cunningham money maybe. Remeber Cunny should be off the books and possibly sold to Norway

Still not convinced on this Norway bit, MLS maybe but Norway?
Im sure they are looking for alot more then what that guy has to offer

DigzTFC!
08-01-2008, 10:32 AM
If the original poster is credible, Ali could be using this as leverage for a contract with TFC. The Dons are interested but have denied it for two days now. Doesn't that seem weird a player would do that?

Whatever the case with Cunny he will be gone at the end of the season. Right around the time when we can regroup and look for a DP. Adding Gerba (if it does happens) sets up the attack nicely

Once again, I like this

Barret 23, Ibbe 17, Gerba 25, O'Brian White/Marcus Tracy, DP. Doesn't that look deadly to anyone else? And affordable: Barret 60K, Gerba 230K, OBW/MT 60K, Ibbe GA, DP 350K

Ossington Mental Youth
08-01-2008, 10:32 AM
Well according to this article that I posted yesterday in Canadian forum:
http://www.redpatchboys.ca/forums/showthread.php?t=4083

Canadian international to join Dons?

Canadian international Ali Gerba claims to have signed a contract with MK Dons.

Arbogast posted this on the first page

DONS DENY Gerba's claim:

maninb
08-01-2008, 10:34 AM

Nope he specifically said "IN ADDITION TO BARRET"..

Ossington Mental Youth
08-01-2008, 10:34 AM
If the original poster is credible, Ali could be using this as leverage for a contract with TFC. The Dons are interested but have denied it for two days now. Doesn't that seem weird a player would do that?

I remember reading somewhere the dude changed his name, that alone is a bit suspect...

Im not joking either...

Im currently trying to find something to back up this claim btw

Smenge
08-01-2008, 10:37 AM
You want a striker, look who is available. MLSE could pay him with petty cash, but it ain't gonna happen:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/t/tottenham_hotspur/7537039.stm

Damien
08-01-2008, 10:39 AM
I'm gonna say this rumour is horseshit... if Gerba ever hinted at a move to TFC there would at least have been a side note in some report about it.

nimamalek
08-01-2008, 10:46 AM
I'm gonna say this rumour is horseshit... if Gerba ever hinted at a move to TFC there would at least have been a side note in some report about it.

i second that. please no more threads like this "I saw Mo Edu at the rippers and he said Zidane and Figo were about to sign" BULLSHIT!!!!!!!!!! I'm still waiting for Kanu to come over, didnt he just buy a house here?

S_D
08-01-2008, 10:48 AM
I can't see this happening. Pat Noonan has come back to the MLS and NE isn't going to resign him. He has had some bad luck with injuries, but would probably be cheaper and can probably be had for a first or second round draft pick.

Rawkus_420
08-01-2008, 10:50 AM
Im with ya on this one.
Although hes had great success with the national team his personal career has been less than satisfactory

Yah but he hasn't played in the MLS, Im willing to bet the MNT would make mincemeat out of TFC...Gerba can only help this team out, theres no way he can hurt us....I'll welcome him with open arms....think about he's canadian, playing in canada, hes obviously proud to be canadian so I think if he signs he'll be pumped to play here, knowing the support he'll get. Im sure in europe nobody gave a rats as about him, which may have something to do with why he didnt do so well, with his country and home support behind him he might do better....i fuckin hope so...and if hes not signing at all , well lets thank mo for pulling our leg

mdc 77
08-01-2008, 10:55 AM
Gerba is OK for some depth but we don't have anything in front of him. Not excited about Gerba at all, if this is even true.

DigzTFC!
08-01-2008, 11:01 AM
I can't see this happening. Pat Noonan has come back to the MLS and NE isn't going to resign him. He has had some bad luck with injuries, but would probably be cheaper and can probably be had for a first or second round draft pick.

It may not happen, but I wouldn't say and older, injury prone guy that would cost the same to acquire and be paid the same is worth while either. He left MLS because he couldn't get more than his 225K salary and went to Norway for 400k. He never really played and never scored over there.

Over his 5 year MLS career he played 136 scoring 42, which means he had about 8 goals per season scoring every third game.

Plus, Columbus want to get this guy and probably will.

Fort York Redcoat
08-01-2008, 11:17 AM
Gerba will end up here evntually. Or Montreal by then...

arbogast
08-01-2008, 11:29 AM

Well Said!!!!

druid
08-01-2008, 11:37 AM
I think the important thing is that he's not what we need. We have enough mid level strikers who score occasionally. We need someone who's going to score 20 goals this season.

MG42
08-01-2008, 11:37 AM
He's coming....I can feel it....if mo was kidding he would have said Ronaldo or something....when is this press conference?

Shaughno
08-01-2008, 11:38 AM
I think the important thing is that he's not what we need. We have enough mid level strikers who score occasionally. We need someone who's going to score 20 goals this season.

We do? Can you name one that scores.. even occasionally?

Shaughno
08-01-2008, 11:40 AM
He's coming....I can feel it....if mo was kidding he would have said Ronalso or something....when is this press conference?

Is he some new up and coming superstar???

ManUtd4ever
08-01-2008, 11:40 AM

If this is valid, I wouldn't mind the addition of Gerba at all. Gerba was impressive in his last few matches with the CMNT...

maninb
08-01-2008, 11:58 AM

Perhaps it is..I'm was just relaying what Mo said last night...no less..no more, so don't get all whiney about it! LOL!

MG42
08-01-2008, 12:03 PM
Is he some new up and coming superstar???

dude you haven't heard of Ronalso? You could say he's the "good" twin lol

Dirk Diggler
08-01-2008, 12:28 PM
Man, I'm tired of all these people coming on this board and starting threads that are clearly pulling our legs. Seriously, how many bull shit rumours have we had to endure from these random "sources" who "talked" with Mo?

MG42
08-01-2008, 12:30 PM
Man, I'm tired of all these people coming on this board and starting threads that are clearly pulling our legs. Seriously, how many bull shit rumours have we had to endure from these random "sources" who "talked" with Mo?

http://mlsrumorsrumors.blogspot.com/2008/07/incoming-otc-to-dc.html

Ossington Mental Youth
08-01-2008, 12:30 PM
Oh id be willing to bet that there are going to be more

JDG
08-01-2008, 12:46 PM
Guys, I know that I'm just another unsubstanciated source, but I need to add my two cents. Those who have been here from time, know me, and the validity of my comments.

My source tells me that the deal is not done, but Gerba is in town, and there are discussions.

MG42
08-01-2008, 12:48 PM
^ is it close to done?

Northern Soul
08-01-2008, 12:52 PM
Guys, I know that I'm just another unsubstanciated source, but I need to add my two cents. Those who have been here from time, know me, and the validity of my comments.

My source tells me that the deal is not done, but Gerba is in town, and there are discussions.

Now this post is one I will get hopeful about.

FluSH
08-01-2008, 12:53 PM

Let's hope this is true...

If it ain't, can we start banning based on spreading hearsay and rumours =P

Corpand
08-01-2008, 12:54 PM
Goddamit, I hate/love rumors!!!!!!

Jimmy The Saint
08-01-2008, 12:54 PM

He's just consistent :hump:

Smenge
08-01-2008, 12:58 PM
Mo is going to hate me, but I just had to post a picture of her:http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t101/lilburndiablo/fat-chick.jpg

TicTacTabarnack
08-01-2008, 01:13 PM
If i'm not mistaken the news article about Gerba to Dons fails to mention any confirmation from the club itself, just a statement from Gerba himself:

"Canadian international Ali Gerba claims to have signed a contract with MK Dons."

DONS DENY Gerba's claim:

wtf, mate? I guess when you're not good enough to have an agent make up rumours to get a better deal - you have to make them up yourself?

olegunnar
08-01-2008, 01:14 PM
Mo is going to hate me, but I just had to post a picture of her:http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t101/lilburndiablo/fat-chick.jpg

She's normally 110lbs but Mo keeps his gutter glitter stash in her rectum. Cut her open and she's worth a lot!

RealG-TFC
08-01-2008, 01:16 PM
assZ9bcucmQ

maninb
08-01-2008, 02:37 PM

Apology accepted...He's in town and talking to TFC...LOL!

DigzTFC!
08-01-2008, 03:13 PM
Gerba has been linked to us before. It was in french. Also Mo knew his salary demands and stated them on his show, which means the two parties had discussions

http://www2.canoe.com/sports/nouvelles/archives/2008/07/20080729-095501.html

Gerba reinforcements?

The aid could come from Ali Gerba, a Montreal-old striker who played in Sweden, Denmark and Germany before ending up currently without a contract.

The problem for the Impact is that Gerba would be courted by both the Toronto FC and San Jose Earthquakes where the head coach is the Canadian Frank Yallop.

Moreover, Gerba hopes to receive an offer of Milton Keynes Dons, the third division club in England, with whom he had a positive test recently

Ossington Mental Youth
08-01-2008, 03:14 PM
Has he even played a game for them yet?

DigzTFC!
08-01-2008, 03:18 PM
Has he even played a game for them yet?

Whom? The impact? He was training with them while trying to get another contract and trialing abroad.

Ossington Mental Youth
08-01-2008, 03:20 PM
ah werd, for some reason i thought he had signed until the end of the season before he was released to get another contact in europe...

Chevy
08-01-2008, 03:21 PM
More recent news....

http://www.sportbox.tv/football/news/story.php?id=268877

DigzTFC!
08-01-2008, 03:26 PM
More recent news....

http://www.sportbox.tv/football/news/story.php?id=268877

I read that earlier. The problem is that "reports" are Gerba and thats it. The Dons have already said they're interested, but declined to say they've signed him. Then again it could be that he's signed. But all signs point to Gerba inflating his market value

reggie
08-01-2008, 03:44 PM
i think they will have a new striker other then barrett on sunday,but he will be wearing a bag over his head....

Ossington Mental Youth
08-01-2008, 03:46 PM
I suspect if there was another striker planned for Sunday, we would have heard by now.

ben_vw
08-01-2008, 03:49 PM
I suspect if there was another striker planned for Sunday, we would have heard by now.

I hate to say it, but I agree. We would have heard rumblings about Gerba signing before today I think. I could see us announcing the signing of Paul Dickov before the day is done - but not Gerba.

olegunnar
08-01-2008, 03:50 PM
I hate to say it, but I agree. We would have heard rumblings about Gerba signing before today I think. I could see us announcing the signing of Paul Dickov before the day is done - but not Gerba.

I don't think we'll see anyone but Barrett this weekend. You know...with the MLS being on bankers hours and all.
They're probably closed now for the weekend.

ben_vw
08-01-2008, 03:52 PM
I don't think we'll see anyone but Barrett this weekend. You know...with the MLS being on bankers hours and all.
They're probably closed now for the weekend.

I thought they closed at 5. We still have 10 minutes! :rolleyes:

S_D
08-01-2008, 04:13 PM

Our DP is hiding in there somewhere. Or maybe Dickov... or both

Ossington Mental Youth
08-01-2008, 04:14 PM
Looks like IF we hear about Dickov it wont be til next week

Jeffro
08-01-2008, 04:54 PM
I heard this rumour a few days ago from my inside source.... and he said that Gerba wasn't interested in playing here. There had been talks but they went nowhere. I just talked to him 20 minutes ago and he didn't seem very optimistic about having a new striker (other than Barrett) any time soon, let alone by Sunday. I'm not sure if Mo would be keeping secrets in the locker room but telling random fans in pubs. That doesn't seem too healthy.

profit89
08-01-2008, 05:17 PM
http://toronto.fc.mlsnet.com/images/2008/08/01/WspOrxdt.jpg

DigzTFC!
08-01-2008, 05:24 PM
It seemed like such a good match. Jeffro, do you have any insight into what the problem was? Money? Gerba insistence to go to europe? Mo doesn't like Canadians? What the hell is the deal? It fell right into our lap

Jeffro
08-01-2008, 06:07 PM
Seems puzzling to me... he definitely isn't going to be signing with any big clubs over-seas, and the chance to play in front of great fans in a sold out stadium in Canada... why not? I was told simply "he doesn't want to come here". I will get some more info on this tomorrow.

Jeffro
08-01-2008, 06:16 PM
btw money does seem to be the big problem in bringing strikers here. Apparently one agent came to Mo with a list of 5 or 6 strikers, some of dp caliber, and all with no names of course, who WANTED to come to Toronto... but all were deemed too expensive by either Mo or MLSE... we have 2 dp spots and we have a ton of cash sitting around that we lose if it's not spent this year.... it doesn't carry over. It's getting ridiculous really. It's time to get something done

UltraSuperMegaMo
08-01-2008, 06:19 PM
btw money does seem to be the big problem in bringing strikers here. Apparently one agent came to Mo with a list of 5 or 6 strikers, some of dp caliber, and all with no names of course, who WANTED to come to Toronto... but all were deemed too expensive by either Mo or MLSE... we have 2 dp spots and we have a ton of cash sitting around that we lose if it's not spent this year.... it doesn't carry over. It's getting ridiculous really. It's time to get something done

? We traded for another DP spot?

noochie
08-01-2008, 06:20 PM

We don't have 2 DP spots... what are you talking about? And what are your sources? This information sounds like a load of crap.

DigzTFC!
08-01-2008, 06:27 PM
Jeffro broke the Tebily story so give him some credit. I think he misspoke about DP slots, whereas maybe he ment international spots. Tebily being gone and Dunivant being out. Roster spots...

Jeffro
08-01-2008, 06:31 PM
Did we no acquire a dp spot in a trade in the off-season? I appologize if I'm wrong.

As for my source.... Hasn't failed me yet :D... but you can take it or leave it just like any of the other rumours randomly posted on this board ;)

noochie
08-01-2008, 06:33 PM
I dunno... sounds like more baseless message board speculation brought on by someone who may or not have a connection there. Besides... talking to a TFC player about another TFC player vs. spewing stuff that likely only the FO would know doesn't fly.

Sounds like you are abusing the trust here gained by breaking one story to me. Many people have a hardon for knocking MLSE and this will add fuel to that fire.

But, let's for a second play along... if they "WANTED" to come here so badly I find it shocking that a deal could not get done given the sad state of affairs up front... unless the only reason that they "WANTED" to come here was to rape the organization for an inordinate amount of money to which I say "fuck off you twats". I like my ticket prices where they are and won't appreciate over paying for some twat looking to cash in on a tight situation (and their grubby agents).

Inswingingwingman
08-01-2008, 06:39 PM
Carver told my grandmother who works at a body rub parlour as the laundry woman that he'd give his left arm to ambidextrous.

Not a rumour,......the Carver part is true...just the name not the grandmother or the body rub place......I'll expand on this later if you don't wish.....

Fish or cut bait.

Jeffro
08-01-2008, 06:42 PM
I wasn't talking to a player.

I have many points to add regarding yor comments,
but I think I'd rather go to the Beer Store :)

Flipityflu
08-01-2008, 06:44 PM
i'm quite happy to listen to any hearsay up to and including Roy of the Rovers.

Chevy
08-01-2008, 07:49 PM
Carver told my grandmother who works at a body rub parlour as the laundry woman that he'd give his left arm to ambidextrous.

Not a rumour,......the Carver part is true...just the name not the grandmother or the body rub place......I'll expand on this later if you don't wish.....

Fish or cut bait.

I have bad news for you - the laundry isn't the only think your Nana does at the bod rub parlour. :eek:

DigzTFC!
08-02-2008, 03:13 PM
Head coach John Carver says the Barrett acquisition is just the first part of a two-stage process. There’s another striker to come, hopefully within the next 48 hours according to the boss.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/blogs/2008/08/01/dobson_no_pressure/

Could be linked with Gerba's supposed visit with TFC brass and rumored signing

Cambridge_Red
08-02-2008, 03:16 PM
i'm quite happy to listen to any hearsay up to and including Roy of the Rovers.

Roy Race to Tynecaster!! http://mlsrumurs.net/wearefullofshit

:D

Flipityflu
08-02-2008, 04:11 PM
Roy Race to Tynecaster!! http://mlsrumurs.net/wearefullofshit

:D

he would be perfect for us if it wasn't for the fact he is somewhat of a 2 dimensional player.

ExiledRed
08-02-2008, 04:13 PM
he would be perfect for us if it wasn't for the fact he is somewhat of a 2 dimensional player.

It'll never happen, he'll die at Melchester....fuckin' scumbag.

Ossington Mental Youth
08-02-2008, 04:18 PM
Head coach John Carver says the Barrett acquisition is just the first part of a two-stage process. There’s another striker to come, hopefully within the next 48 hours according to the boss.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/blogs/2008/08/01/dobson_no_pressure/

Could be linked with Gerba's supposed visit with TFC brass and rumored signing

Im willing to bet its Dickov hes referring to

TorontoUnitedScout
08-02-2008, 04:29 PM
by the way guys no worries.....these games being played on CBC Bold..are easy to get access without paying......here's what you do......call Rogers tell them its not on the guide...which was thew case the last time..tell them you don't know why rogers isn't displaying the correct schedule that it indicates on CBC's page...say you don't want to pay if it doesnt' show.... (first game on BOLD) they'll give you 3 months free ( part of a 6 channel package)....watch the games then cancel......