PDA

View Full Version : Four cities named finalists for next MLS expansion

denime
11-30-2017, 06:57 AM
Four cities named finalists for next MLS expansion (http://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/mls/four-cities-finalists-next-mls-expansion/)

Wagner
11-30-2017, 08:30 AM
I hope detroit.
But I would guess Sacramento and Cincinnati, especially with the krew leaving.

Initial B
11-30-2017, 09:11 AM
I figure Sacramento and Nashville this round. They aren't going to touch Detroit and Cinci until the Columbus issue is resolved one way or the other. If the Crew goes to Austin, both Detroit and Cinci will get teams. If not, then I only expect one of those two cities to get one of the last two expansion slots. For this round at least.

Red4ever
11-30-2017, 09:43 AM
I figure Sacramento and Nashville this round. They aren't going to touch Detroit and Cinci until the Columbus issue is resolved one way or the other. If the Crew goes to Austin, both Detroit and Cinci will get teams. If not, then I only expect one of those two cities to get one of the last two expansion slots. For this round at least.

This is my read of the tea leaves.

Cinci knows they will be bested by Nashville and Sacramento is a lock.

Then again... Qatar 2022

whositwhatnow
11-30-2017, 02:50 PM
Would love to see Nashville!! That place is a party town already, add some footy it be one good tailgate

ensco
11-30-2017, 03:51 PM
I hope detroit.
But I would guess Sacramento and Cincinnati, especially with the krew leaving.

Detroit is a no-hoper. When they were talking downtown SSS, it was serious, but they would now groundshare with the NFL and play at Ford Field. The league went along with this in Atlanta but they fear it's a mistake longterm (half those tickets they sell down there are $10 seats - will people come in numbers over time in Atlanta, or is it a fad?). They won’t do it again

JoeM
11-30-2017, 03:56 PM
I desperately (and selfishly) hope for Detroit although I figure Nashville and Sacramento. The 5 minute trip across the river is so, so much better then the 4 hours on the 401 to Toronto and another 4 home again. It was a long, cold, lonely drive home last night lol

Initial B
12-01-2017, 09:38 AM
Detroit will get in eventually at 27-28. They're to big a TV market and have too much money behind them not to. It would be a cost certainty on the part of the MLS owners. But for now the optics would look bad for Detroit or Cinci to get in now. They want to see how the Crew situation shakes out.

SoccMan2
12-01-2017, 09:52 PM
Detroit is a no-hoper. When they were talking downtown SSS, it was serious, but they would now groundshare with the NFL and play at Ford Field. The league went along with this in Atlanta but they fear it's a mistake longterm (half those tickets they sell down there are $10 seats - will people come in numbers over time in Atlanta, or is it a fad?). They won’t do it again

I don't think Atlanta is a fad sorry and $10 tickets really? Atlanta is a great story and I believe they are very sustainable and will lead in attendance for years to come. Remember when TFC was suppose to be a fad too?