PDA

View Full Version : 2018 CCL Draw - -- Dec 18 at 7:00 PM ET

Areathrasher
11-29-2017, 12:32 PM
https://twitter.com/CONCACAFMedia/status/935897301830324225

TFC will be drawn against a team in pot b. Avoiding Herediano and Saprissa would be nice

TFC1154ever
11-29-2017, 12:42 PM
Pots have been determined. Here they are:

Pot One: Chivas (Mexico), Club America (Mexico), FC Dallas (USA), New York Red Bulls (USA), Seattle Sounders (USA), Tigres (Mexico), Tijuana (Mexico), Toronto FC (Canada)

Pot Two: Cibao FC (Dominican Republic), Colorado Rapids (USA), CS Herediano (Costa Rica), FC Motagua (Honduras), Olimpia (Honduras), Santa Tecla FC (El Salvador), Deportivo Saprissa (Costa Rica), Tauro FC (Panama)

Draw will take place December 18th at 7 PM. It’s a bracket draw, so our path to the final will be determined on the 18th. Who would you like in the round of 16 in late February?

denime
11-29-2017, 12:44 PM
I merged same threads to keep comments in one place

Initial B
11-29-2017, 12:58 PM
Would it be bad to say I hope for the Rapids or a Caribbean team?

molenshtain
11-29-2017, 01:15 PM
Would it be bad to say I hope for the Rapids or a Caribbean team?

Or a Costa Rican team. I'd been planning on making a trip down with my seat mates for this round so it'd be nice to play in a country where I probably won't get kidnapped.

Areathrasher
11-29-2017, 01:27 PM
The Costa Rican teams are the strongest in pot B tho.

ryan
11-29-2017, 01:31 PM
Interesting how we got bumped to Pot A. Logically makes sense, but they've now pitted Colorado vs USA/MEX opposition which seemed to be what they didn't ever want to do.

portu
11-29-2017, 02:16 PM
I am really hoping for Colorado, I don't want to see how this team reacts to the treatment they would get from Central American players, fans and officiating after the debacle against NYRB.

Areathrasher
11-29-2017, 02:19 PM
Interesting how we got bumped to Pot A. Logically makes sense, but they've now pitted Colorado vs USA/MEX opposition which seemed to be what they didn't ever want to do.
CONCACAF created a coefficient system to determine seedings. Based on last 5 years performance.

https://twitter.com/pkedit/status/935923304342306819

whositwhatnow
11-29-2017, 02:22 PM
why does canada only get 1 team we shoudl at least get 2

denime
11-29-2017, 02:48 PM

2 out of 3 teams is too much to ask,no?

portu
11-29-2017, 04:02 PM
think we're lucky we got 1 and not .5 considering the qualification method

Gringo Starr
11-29-2017, 04:08 PM
It must suck to be a rapids fan

OgtheDim
11-29-2017, 04:20 PM
I am really hoping for Colorado, I don't want to see how this team reacts to the treatment they would get from Central American players, fans and officiating after the debacle against NYRB.

I think this team can handle that and has been preparing for those games for a couple of years now.

Don't want the Rapids in February, thank you very much.

TFC1154ever
11-29-2017, 04:22 PM
Round of 16: Feb. 20-22 and Feb, 27-March 1
Quarterfinals: March 6-8 and March 13-15
Semifinals: April 3-5 and April 10-12
Finals: April 17-19 and April 24-26

This tournament flies by.

wopchop
11-29-2017, 05:42 PM
A home match in February should be interesting!

portu
11-29-2017, 08:32 PM
I think this team can handle that and has been preparing for those games for a couple of years now.

Don't want the Rapids in February, thank you very much.
If we get a central american team im gonna put money on Jozy getting a red

Alderete
11-30-2017, 08:50 AM
We're definitely gonna have to get some reinforcements to continue our strong form and seriously compete for this one

Oldtimer
11-30-2017, 12:36 PM
CONCACAF created a coefficient system to determine seedings. Based on last 5 years performance.

https://twitter.com/pkedit/status/935923304342306819

Good to see. An objective, non-corrupt means of determining the seedings. I guess we have to thank the Impact that Canada is seeded so high? :hide:

nonc
11-30-2017, 12:52 PM
Nobody to fear in pot 2. Rapids, Saprissa and Herediano would be good to avoid though.

gmacpheetfc
11-30-2017, 01:34 PM
the draw will be about who we get in the QF and Semis aka non-mexican opposition!

Gringo Starr
11-30-2017, 01:56 PM
Do any of you watch Liga Mx, I only catch the odd game, wondering how we would stack up against mexican teams

Areathrasher
11-30-2017, 02:19 PM
Do any of you watch Liga Mx, I only catch the odd game, wondering how we would stack up against mexican teams

I'd like our chances against Xolos and Chivas. America and Tigres not so much.

nfitz
12-06-2017, 04:40 AM
A home match in February should be interesting!I'd assume we'll be back at Rogers.

JT Red127
12-06-2017, 08:22 AM
I'd assume we'll be back at Rogers.

I dont think we ever play another game at Rogers ever...BMO is winterized, lets do it. :flare:

denime
12-06-2017, 08:25 AM
I'd assume we'll be back at Rogers.

BMO field, Rogers is getting renovated,as far I remember something to do with lower level seats to be rotated toward home plate,no more football or soccer event at Rogers after that.

Heepster
12-06-2017, 05:39 PM
They've mentioned the general idea of looking into renovations for Rogers Centre sometime in the next few years that could include a possible new permanent rebuilding of the 100 level seating, but I think it's still in the stage of considering different concepts. Part of the concrete floor was removed in early 2016 for a baseball dirt infield (http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/construction-begins-new-dirt-infield-rogers-centre-1.3442659), but the 100 level seating can still be shifted into the former football/soccer set-up (at least during the winter). It is being used in the middle of January 2018 for a Monster Truck event, with seats on Ticketmaster (http://www1.ticketmaster.ca/monster-jam-toronto-ontario-01-13-2018/event/1000531EC3B379ED) being sold in the south end 100 level sections that are covered up when the seats are rotated into the baseball configuration.
But I suppose it's possible they may no longer have the artificial turf for the non-baseball arrangement.

wopchop
12-06-2017, 08:17 PM
They've definitely laid out sod in the Skydome for international friendlies in the past. I want to say Man U played a game there maybe 8 years ago on temporarily rolled out grass.

Not saying they would do that for TFC (I would bet that they would not and just give us turf) but if the seating still allows the soccer pitch, then it seems like it is still possible to play at the dome.

I've heard a lot of TFC fans say that it isn't possible but has anyone at MLSE ever confirmed that? And the recent world Cup bid had the Rogers Centre listed, so to me it seems like it is still a possible site.

Red CB Toronto
12-06-2017, 11:56 PM
Not to overtake you but MLSE is not playing this game at the dome when our BMO Field is now winterized. It simply does not make economic sense. Feb. 22 at BMO Field will be more epic than not especially if it makes complete sense.

They've definitely laid out sod in the Skydome for international friendlies in the past. I want to say Man U played a game there maybe 8 years ago on temporarily rolled out grass.

Not saying they would do that for TFC (I would bet that they would not and just give us turf) but if the seating still allows the soccer pitch, then it seems like it is still possible to play at the dome.

I've heard a lot of TFC fans say that it isn't possible but has anyone at MLSE ever confirmed that? And the recent world Cup bid had the Rogers Centre listed, so to me it seems like it is still a possible site.

OgtheDim
12-07-2017, 06:47 AM
Manning has said these games will be at BMO.

Joe Kool
12-07-2017, 08:42 AM
I hope we don't draw the Rapids. I always loved CCL so I can see TFC face other opposition I don't normally see. Playing an MLS team in the CCL would not be as interesting. In the end a game is a game and I would be there to watch but still.

gmacpheetfc
12-07-2017, 09:20 AM
It looks like the first away coincides with family day!
I have def allocated some vacation for a trip to Panama, Costa Rica or DR!

Auzzy
12-07-2017, 09:28 AM
Unfortunately BMO Field is not really winterized. Maybe this will push them to do some more work? Has there been any word about planned construction? For example, nothing has been changed in the west stands. The pipes are still un-insulated; the washrooms unheated; same drainage problems on the concourse as ever...

denime
12-07-2017, 09:32 AM
Unfortunately BMO Field is not really winterized. Maybe this will push them to do some more work? Has there been any word about planned construction? For example, nothing has been changed in the west stands. The pipes are still un-insulated; the washrooms unheated; same drainage problems on the concourse as ever...

If we were able to play last year in MLS CUP Final with temperatures way bellow 0, then we can definitely play at the end of February too.

JT Red127
12-07-2017, 10:02 AM

I'm in the west stand...the bathroom behind 127 is heated, and the one next to it near 125. Im not sure of any that arent but i dont use the others really.

nfitz
12-07-2017, 11:07 AM
Not to overtake you but MLSE is not playing this game at the dome when our BMO Field is now winterized. It simply does not make economic sense.It might be winterized enough to build an ice hockey surface on. But unless we have a very mild winter, I don't think the grass is up to it. Might have to replace the pitch after that (or maybe that's the plan).

Feb. 22 at BMO Field will be more epic than not especially if it makes complete sense.As we are first seed in the match-up, presumably it will be the following weekend.

Unfortunately BMO Field is not really winterized. Maybe this will push them to do some more work? Has there been any word about planned construction? For example, nothing has been changed in the west stands. The pipes are still un-insulated; the washrooms unheated; same drainage problems on the concourse as ever...What did they do for the Maple Leafs game - weren't they there on New Years Day? Though it ended up being a relatively warm day.

If we were able to play last year in MLS CUP Final with temperatures way bellow 0, then we can definitely play at the end of February too.It was about -4. I wouldn't call that well below zero. I think we've actually had colder regular season games.

Average low on December 10 is -2.6; record is -23 in 1876

Average low on February 28 is -4.7; record is -27 in 1846

More importantly, on December 10, we've probably still got a pitch (looking good for Dec 9 this year). On February 28?

If it's floating around zero, or minus 5, it would be great - and watching the Central Americans will be fun.

If it's -20 ... I don't see a rare trip to Rogers is the end of the world.

Economically - they can make this an event at Rogers with 40,000 - especially if we draw a Mexican team. At BMO? Well it's a good job they pre-sold this game to SSH. Sure, many in the south end will go - but that's really not their decision point.

Bluenose13
12-07-2017, 11:31 AM
February game at BMO is crazy.

denime
12-07-2017, 12:54 PM
It might be winterized enough to build an ice hockey surface on. But unless we have a very mild winter, I don't think the grass is up to it. Might have to replace the pitch after that (or maybe that's the plan).

As we are first seed in the match-up, presumably it will be the following weekend.

What did they do for the Maple Leafs game - weren't they there on New Years Day? Though it ended up being a relatively warm day.

It was about -4. I wouldn't call that well below zero. I think we've actually had colder regular season games.

Average low on December 10 is -2.6; record is -23 in 1876

Average low on February 28 is -4.7; record is -27 in 1846

More importantly, on December 10, we've probably still got a pitch (looking good for Dec 9 this year). On February 28?

If it's floating around zero, or minus 5, it would be great - and watching the Central Americans will be fun.

If it's -20 ... I don't see a rare trip to Rogers is the end of the world.

Economically - they can make this an event at Rogers with 40,000 - especially if we draw a Mexican team. At BMO? Well it's a good job they pre-sold this game to SSH. Sure, many in the south end will go - but that's really not their decision point.

We can't draw Mexican teams or 3 USA teams,we are in the same pot, we can face only Colorado from MLS teams.

I don't think that MLSE will spend any extra money on Rogers Centre against Dominican or Costa Rica clubs

jabbronies
12-07-2017, 12:58 PM
February game at BMO is crazy.

Anyone who went to the winter classic last year will tell you it's not madness, it's bat shit fucking insanity

At what point does the players union step in and say - ya no it's too fucking cold. just kidding, but actually serious

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB
12-07-2017, 04:14 PM
If these games are at Bmo...We surely will have a home field advantage....As we have played in close to -12C...

I can only imagine the the faces on the mexican and centdal american faces when they arrive in Toronto in February and find out the game is outside..lol

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB
12-07-2017, 06:18 PM
From a
Messege I was sent moments ago..

BMO FIELD 100percent!

Heepster
12-07-2017, 06:59 PM
They've definitely laid out sod in the Skydome for international friendlies in the past...The temporary grass was put down several times and I think worked okay during summer when the roof could be opened, but the last time (as far as I know) was in November 2013 for a Brazil/Chile match where large chunks of turf became repeatedly dislodged (http://www.cbc.ca/sports/soccer/brazil-edges-chile-in-toronto-soccer-friendly-1.2432953).
Economically - they can make this an event at Rogers with 40,000 - especially if we draw a Mexican team...If they had to buy a new artificial surface, I think it may cost millions of dollars and therefore not be financially feasible just for one or two games.

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB
12-07-2017, 07:07 PM
Its BMO Field folks.. End of 🍺

Always wondered how these Mexican teams would handle a game in Canada in the middle of the winter...I may get my wish

If it works out well...Maybe we should consider playing World Cup Qualifiers outdoors in the winter also.😄

OgtheDim
12-07-2017, 07:59 PM
on our field, in our weather, with our supporters, our fans, and the entire city of Toronto behind us.

BMO

Its going to be epic

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB
12-07-2017, 10:11 PM
BMO

Its going to be epic

The Comp has never really took off in MLS..Hopefully with the new format starting right at the round of 16...the city will back it...

Huge prize for the winnet this year....as the Champion will Rep concacaf at the Fifa World Club... If there was any year MLS could win...We are its best hope!

ensco
12-07-2017, 10:20 PM
We need to own this. Have all the players brought out of the dressing room onto the field on a sleigh or something.

denime
12-08-2017, 06:48 AM
We can't draw Mexican teams in FEBRUARY,we are in the same 1st pot with them.

But yeah,definitely it would be home field advantage against other Central American teams, MLS not so much.