PDA

View Full Version : That Other Series - Houston vs Seattle

OgtheDim
11-20-2017, 08:39 PM
First Leg Nov 21 9:30 pm

2nd Leg Nov 30 10:30pm

Houston really getting no love from the analysts. I smell an upset.

Globetrotter
11-20-2017, 08:58 PM
I hope so.

Go back a couple months and you'll find a post I made suggesting that (at the time) Portland and Houston were the ideal candidates we would like to play in the finals. Somehow Houston has actually made it this far.

(same post you'll find that Seattle was one we would want to avoid)

Smokecell
11-21-2017, 10:21 PM
Seattle PK and Houston red but SAVED

Red CB Toronto
11-21-2017, 10:29 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DPNMZEiXUAA_Gjh.jpg:large

Red CB Toronto
11-21-2017, 10:34 PM
What a disaster of a first half for Houston, a man down, having given up two road goals to the Sounders.

Canary10
11-21-2017, 10:37 PM
Eff it's over already. Rematch if we can make it.

samuraizero
11-21-2017, 11:44 PM
Penso not a particularly great ref here again...

Hamilton_Red
11-22-2017, 12:00 AM
Pish match. Houston were woefull. Can't decide if Seattle have an world beating defence...or if the West is just poor?

11-29-2017, 09:35 AM
Any chance HOU can pull this out? Looks like it's over.

ensco
11-30-2017, 05:40 PM
I have watched most of the western playoffs, ex the first game of this series, and all these teams suck. Seattle were crap against Vancouver.

I want the snotrags. Unfinished business.

Globetrotter
11-30-2017, 05:54 PM
^Seattle and KC were the only two teams out West that we had to be concerned with. Why? Because they can suffocate you defensively, which is how you frustrate and beat TFC. Seattle might not be great, they just need to not let in goals. Like last year. And they have a cup to show for it. I hope Houston scores 10 tonight.

molenshtain
11-30-2017, 05:59 PM
Seattle are kind of ass going forward, but there's something to be said for their defence and their unbeaten record when Marshall and Torres play together. That's over the course of about 20 games I believe now. Both us and Seattle are better than we were last year. I'm not sure we should turn our noses up at them.

Redcoe15
11-30-2017, 06:18 PM
I'd rather have Houston. Do not want to chance what Seattle did last year.

ManUtd4ever
11-30-2017, 06:39 PM
Regardless of what players say publicly, they will be more motivated against Seattle. Besides, it would take a minor miracle for Houston to advance.

OgtheDim
11-30-2017, 08:40 PM
Cup Final thread up in the morning

J-Man
11-30-2017, 08:50 PM
Is this game on tv tonight i cant find it anywhere

Fernandinho
11-30-2017, 08:52 PM
Is this game on tv tonight i cant find it anywhere

Yup, TSN1 channel 494 (on rogers)

Hamilton_Red
11-30-2017, 11:17 PM
Cup Final thread up in the morning
Can only be the Redemption Song

Hamilton_Red
11-30-2017, 11:18 PM
Houston needs to score 3 goals... not happening. Seattle last gave up a playoff goal against Colorado last year.

Canary10
11-30-2017, 11:30 PM
Well Ensco. Looks like you got your wish for a rematch.

Hamilton_Red
11-30-2017, 11:31 PM
Difference between TFC's route to the finals and Seattles is that we beat some good teams to get there. Their defence is very good and exceptional with Frei. We really have to play with swagger and score some goals. They might be tempted to attack in order to correct their abysmal cattenacio style from last year.

ensco
11-30-2017, 11:57 PM
Well Ensco. Looks like you got your wish for a rematch.

You watch. Our guys have done nothing but think about Seattle for 12 months. You don’t often get a redemption setup like this.

Party time.

We will take the Sounders apart. 3-0.

molenshtain
12-01-2017, 12:10 AM
You watch. Our guys have done nothing but think about Seattle for 12 months. You don’t often get a redemption setup like this.

Party time.

We will take the Sounders apart. 3-0.

I think this is the most optimistic you've ever been about anything. I wish it with you but I still have PTSD from last year.

If Alonso doesn't play and Marshall plays banged up we have a shot of making quick work of them. Even then Svenson looks easily as serviceable as Alonso. I don't know, I just don't think it'll be easy.

I mean, we only put up one goal over two games against a team that had Josh Williams as the linchpin of their defense. I'm not confident in our ability of steamrolling a parked bus like we could during the middle of the season. Just ain't in the cards I don't think.

ensco
12-01-2017, 12:19 AM
^Speaking only for myself... I rated Columbus. You can find it in the playoff thread, when everyone was worried about Atlanta, I was worried about Columbus. I posted that multiple times. Columbus were superb. Jesus, that was the Great Escape.

But now?

I don’t rate Seattle (or anyone in the west). They are beating up on Houston, whoop de doo. They stopped us from scoring last year but they won’t this time (not least because Alonso and Marshall can’t dominate like they did, as you say, and we have Vazquez.)

We might annihilate them. This is a serious mismatch.

Hamilton_Red
12-01-2017, 12:51 AM
I was seeing it the same way ensco... Columbus are a very good team. They are well balanced, well organized, and with Higuain have player that is a match for Vasquez. Getting to the finals in 2015 was no fluke...letting Kei Kamara go was the mistake that set them back last year. We were very mature an disciplined to beat them in the manner that we did. The West has been very poor this year & really we should put them to the sword to redeem last season. We will do it. Huston have at east two 35+ year old players - hey had no business being in a semi-final. Seattle haven't been tested getting to the final this year.

But having suffered so many years as a TFC fan - You can't help but worry. There would be no way back from losing the MLS Cup at home twice. If the nervousness creeps in we are going to have to carry them over the finish line. We are one game away from a perfect season. There is no other option but to finish the job.

Blindside16
12-01-2017, 02:46 AM
Can only be the Redemption Song

THIS!!! I 2nd the motion

tfcfans
12-01-2017, 07:01 AM
Nervousness is always there as a TFC fan --- I am not overlooking Seattle's recent run of form either - 6 shutouts in a row and 5 wins and a draw as a result.....we may need to pull a Seattle on Seattle and try to grind out another 1-0 nailbiter.....its only the result that matters to me now, this isn't about "style" points anymore....just win, somehow, someway, just win......

Auzzy
12-01-2017, 08:06 AM
Oh shit, Seattle. It Is On. I've watched some of the Seattle games, they're pretty good. Oh well, nothing in life that is worth having is easy.

I just saw the Houston - Seattle highlights from last night. IMO bullshit red on Houston based on VAR, I hate it when they get nitpicky based on VAR. However it didn't affect the outcome of the game.

Canary10
12-01-2017, 08:09 AM
^Speaking only for myself... I rated Columbus. You can find it in the playoff thread, when everyone was worried about Atlanta, I was worried about Columbus. I posted that multiple times. Columbus were superb. Jesus, that was the Great Escape.

But now?

I don’t rate Seattle (or anyone in the west). They are beating up on Houston, whoop de doo. They stopped us from scoring last year but they won’t this time (not least because Alonso and Marshall can’t dominate like they did, as you say, and we have Vazquez.)

We might annihilate them. This is a serious mismatch.

Houston was the second worst team we played at BMO this year IMO. It's nothing to brag about to have beaten up on them. In fact, they should have.

Seattle haven't faced good competition in three months.

whositwhatnow
12-01-2017, 08:21 AM
Man i watched the highlights of that game and man Seattle looks pretty strong.

One thing i will say the officiating has been atrocious the whole playoffs. That was not a sending off at all for Martinez, weak. Jones should of gotten cautioned.

Initial B
12-01-2017, 10:11 AM
Remember, Columbus had more points than Seattle in the regular season this year and was in even better form through the playoffs. It works to our advantage that Seattle has played weak opponents throughout their run. TFC had to fight tooth and nail against some very good teams. TFC will be the first quality opponent Seattle has faced all playoffs and I think TFC can ambush them early before Seattle realizes the intensity difference. I'm hoping 1-0 by the half, followed by a harrowing second half as Seattle pushes the attack and TFC looks to hit on the counter.

JayMolly
12-01-2017, 11:11 AM
Watched their match last night.
The big hand clap was done as the players entered the pitch.
We like that idea.
At BMO many people ignore the clap as we do it around the 70th minute.