PDA

View Full Version : BMO to add 5,000 seats plus Argos???

jiforio
08-01-2008, 02:34 AM
Hi All!

This is my first post and unfortunately I bring unhappy news, however it is news that needs to be heard. During the all-star week their was a meeting of the MLS board of Directors, where a good source of mine heard Peddie himself say that BMO was going to add an additional 5,000 seats during a speech he made. He also heard from others who were at this meeting that the reason they're doing this is to help facilitate transitioning the Argos to BMO field!!!! He also mentioned that everyone in the room was extremely excited about this new venture.

Believe it or not there is one plus side and that is that this meeting took place before the all-star game in which our protest was made. Hopefully it helped. I for one, want to see BMO field continue to be a soccer specific field, along with future plans in place to bring in some real grass so we can get some real talent, along with some proper teams coming over for exhibitions. I'm not sure what to do at this point, however I do feel that we must continue to make our voices, wants, and needs heard. I wouldn't want to protest during the games, because I'd like to support the players but perhaps some sort of protest after the game might be feasible. Let's not be pushovers like leaf supporters.

Cashcleaner
08-01-2008, 04:42 AM
^ Some of your information is in contradiction with what we have been led to believe. I've been told that MLSE/TFC do not want anything to do with the Argonauts coming to BMO Field and are advising the city against the proposal. Of course, there's not a great deal they can do about it as the city owns the facility, but as operaters and primary tenants they are (according to the latest info I've heard) not happy with the possibility of BMO Field losing its status as a soccer-specific facility.

Moreover, the addition of 5,000 seats won't be enough for CFL requirements which is around 30,000, I believe.

Keystone FC
08-01-2008, 04:52 AM
I have heard enough he said/she said, 3rd source, close friend of mine, a little bird told me to last a life time. This is the thing I hate most about the MLS...the behind close door mentality. It's not just TFC/MLSE it's the entire league that acts this way. No one will come out and give us the official poop so we have to rely on BS, MLS Rumors, MLS Undergorund, and our own boards for info.
I'd rather have the city and MLSE just come out and say, 'Yep the Agros are moving in and we are getting 5,000 new seats.' then to have to go through this slop.

Cashcleaner
08-01-2008, 04:58 AM
^ Also, I should point out that the league (MLS) is probably none to happy with the prospect of groundsharing as well.

Psycho-Kid
08-01-2008, 05:06 AM
I have heard enough he said/she said, 3rd source, close friend of mine, a little bird told me to last a life time. This is the thing I hate most about the MLS...the behind close door mentality. It's not just TFC/MLSE it's the entire league that acts this way. No one will come out and give us the official poop so we have to rely on BS, MLS Rumors, MLS Undergorund, and our own boards for info.
I'd rather have the city and MLSE just come out and say, 'Yep the Agros are moving in and we are getting 5,000 new seats.' then to have to go through this slop.

LMFAO!!!!!

I agree with you 100%

Keystone FC
08-01-2008, 05:27 AM
^ Also, I should point out that the league (MLS) is probably none to happy with the prospect of groundsharing as well.

If you mean other pro teams..yeah, but most MLS stadiums are already ground sharing. The Crew stadium hosts a few OSU Buckeye football practices and scrimages along with local high school football and soccer and has been turned into a concert venue like FC Dallas and the Fire's SSS. Not to mention the Sounders will play in Qwest Stadium home of the NFL Seahawks with no intent on building a SSS.
So ground sharing isn't that big of a deal I would think for the MLS. It's making sure the ownership of the club is in good hands that the MLS is more worried about.

Carts
08-01-2008, 06:04 AM
I personally asked Don Garber, at the MLS All-Star press conference the following question...

"Mr. Garber, I'm sure you're aware of the protest the Toronto supporters groups are attempting tonight simply because of a rumor the Toronto Argos might move into BMO field. I'm not going to ask you to pick a side in the matter, but what are your thoughts on BMO field possibly losing being a soccer specific stadium."

This was his answer, said directly to me, and the entire press room at the All-Star game from Don Garber himself (in attendance was Richard Peddie from MLSE)...

"...I will pick a side, I don't want the Argos to move into BMO field... Unfortunately we don't control the stadium, and to an extent neither does MLSE, its owned by the city... I want it to remain soccer specific..."

His answer went on to speak about the protest, the great fans in Toronto, how we are the model franchise...

So no 3rd party, no hearsay, the Commission of the League does not want the Toronto Argos to move into BMO Field... However, the league is not in control, they have a say, an opinion, and I'm sure some 'pull' but they don't have the final call...

Carts...

Don Julio
08-01-2008, 06:26 AM
Ultimately the Argos are in control. If they want to push and push the city will have to let them in. That's where protests should be targeted.

sidney
08-01-2008, 06:45 AM
Write the mayor, MLSE, the teacher's pension folks, TFC, MLS, etc (see below):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maple_Leaf_Sports_&_Entertainment

mayor_miller@toronto.ca (mayor_miller@toronto.ca%20)

Kooper
08-01-2008, 06:49 AM
I am getting tired of this on again on again debate. I wish the Argos would sign a lease with the Skydome and end this whole debate.

Also I highly doubt that there would be any announcement about the stadium while TFC is still playing games this season. I think we would riot.

twistedchinaman
08-01-2008, 07:04 AM
Not this again...

Inswingingwingman
08-01-2008, 07:05 AM
I think bmo field deserves that carpet at Real Salt Lake. They got really loud supporters and can beat us. I heard no one refuses to play there, despite the fact that it's so high you spend most of the week on oxygen. Perhaps that church based there is the attraction.

My vote is to buy that beautiful carpet from them.

And put pipes under the field so they can play hockey there too, hey it's happening at Wrigley Field!

JUST KIDDING!

BigLou
08-01-2008, 07:13 AM
I personally asked Don Garber, at the MLS All-Star press conference the following question...

"Mr. Garber, I'm sure you're aware of the protest the Toronto supporters groups are attempting tonight simply because of a rumor the Toronto Argos might move into BMO field. I'm not going to ask you to pick a side in the matter, but what are your thoughts on BMO field possibly losing being a soccer specific stadium."

This was his answer, said directly to me, and the entire press room at the All-Star game from Don Garber himself (in attendance was Richard Peddie from MLSE)...

"...I will pick a side, I don't want the Argos to move into BMO field... Unfortunately we don't control the stadium, and to an extent neither does MLSE, its owned by the city... I want it to remain soccer specific..."

His answer went on to speak about the protest, the great fans in Toronto, how we are the model franchise...

So no 3rd party, no hearsay, the Commission of the League does not want the Toronto Argos to move into BMO Field... However, the league is not in control, they have a say, an opinion, and I'm sure some 'pull' but they don't have the final call...

Carts...

This guys posts are pure class every time. Great scoop on that one!

sidney
08-01-2008, 07:20 AM
Write the Mayor then: mayor_miller@toronto.ca

BuSaPuNk
08-01-2008, 07:22 AM
I don't think either the City Of Toronto or MLSE will want to piss off the MLS/TFC fans by making BMO a shared stadium with the argos. MLSE is always have and always be more interested about making money. As of now TFC is a cash cow to them. I don't think they will allow the Argos to piss off the TFC fans and have a backlash in profit.

Roogsy
08-01-2008, 07:23 AM
I feel sick to my stomach.

I just get the feeling this is happening and we can't do anything to stop it.

What's worse...it revealed an antipathy even by "supporters".

And then add to that it's for 5000 seats? All this pain for a measly 5000 seats? Ugh...

TGIF...

kitchener-TFC
08-01-2008, 07:37 AM
This guys posts are pure class every time. Great scoop on that one!
I'll second that:).

Pachuco
08-01-2008, 07:43 AM
5,000 wouldn't even reach the Argos average attendance.

Chevy
08-01-2008, 07:54 AM
Hi All!

This is my first post and unfortunately I bring unhappy news, however it is news that needs to be heard. During the all-star week their was a meeting of the MLS board of Directors, where a good source of mine heard Peddie himself say that BMO was going to add an additional 5,000 seats during a speech he made. He also heard from others who were at this meeting that the reason they're doing this is to help facilitate transitioning the Argos to BMO field!!!! He also mentioned that everyone in the room was extremely excited about this new venture.

Believe it or not there is one plus side and that is that this meeting took place before the all-star game in which our protest was made. Hopefully it helped. I for one, want to see BMO field continue to be a soccer specific field, along with future plans in place to bring in some real grass so we can get some real talent, along with some proper teams coming over for exhibitions. I'm not sure what to do at this point, however I do feel that we must continue to make our voices, wants, and needs heard. I wouldn't want to protest during the games, because I'd like to support the players but perhaps some sort of protest after the game might be feasible. Let's not be pushovers like leaf supporters.

You could add 5,000 to BMO without changing much (basically a second level to the east side.

Also, I think the argos would need at least another 10,000 seats to satisfy them.

Thirdly, I think this is all BS.

Smenge
08-01-2008, 08:09 AM
Let the Argos have BMO. MLSE is probably secretly hoping for this so that they can break their deal with the City, and either build a better and larger SSS, or take over the Rogers Centre, and modify it for MLS.

Roogsy
08-01-2008, 08:12 AM
Smenge...I love your passion...but dude...your posts on this board border on the ludicrous.

That is the most absurd thing I have ever read about this Argo situation.

rocker
08-01-2008, 08:14 AM
Ultimately the Argos are in control. If they want to push and push the city will have to let them in. That's where protests should be targeted.

I disagree that the Argos are "in control" and that they can just push the city to do this.

the city technically owns the stadium but without MLSE the stadium couldn't be run (the city doesn't know how to run a stadium, neither do the Argos).
MLSE also signed a revenue sharing agreement with the City and the CSA that would have to be modified if the Argos came in. That means any entry of the Argos to BMO would require MLSE's written approval. I mean, even the smallest things (like where would the Argos dressing room would be) would immediately effect TFC and the CSA. the city would never push the Argos in unless MLSE agrees.

I_AM_CANADIAN
08-01-2008, 08:17 AM
Something about this thread just screams "bullsh*t" at me.

Who's your "good source", is Larry Tanenbaum your uncle?

Inswingingwingman
08-01-2008, 08:25 AM
New Christmas Carol/chant!

Oh Tanenbaum, Oh Tanenbaum,
Your field turf is so gree-een.
Oh Tanenbaum, Oh Tanenbaum,
Your field turf is so gree-een.

Keep the Argos out, and let them go
To York U, it's nice you know,
Oh Tannenbaum Oh Tannenbaum
Your his uncle and he does say so.

Krazy_kid
08-01-2008, 08:37 AM
wow... that is a ridiculous story! lol

In the beginning it is true that MLSE wanted the argos to share the cost in building BMO field but the argos thought they were better and wanted to build their own "football" specific stadium. So MLSE and the city went on their own way and build a soccer specific stadium and guess what happens? the argos deal falls apart and now they are looking for a new place .. but guess what.. MLSE build the stadium so that it would not expand to fit a football field.

There is only talk to add more seating to BMO and NOT TO ADD THE AGROS

i'm not sure where all these stupid rumours come from

Northern Soul
08-01-2008, 08:47 AM
Moreover, the addition of 5,000 seats won't be enough for CFL requirements which is around 30,000, I believe.

I don't think there is a CFL-mandated minimum capacity.

Mosaic Stadium (Regina): 28,800
CanadInns Stadium (Winnipeg): 29,503
Molson Stadium (Montreal): 20,202

Torcida
08-01-2008, 08:53 AM
If Argos ever move to BMO, I will release my season ticket. I love TFC but do not think that I cannot turn my back on them, I would never had placed my initial deposit for season tickets a year before the first season if I had known that in a couple years it would be made into a american football stadium.

Inswingingwingman
08-01-2008, 09:03 AM
American football stadium?

WWWWWTTTTFFFFF (elmer fudd)
I'm going to start a protest if BMO if the Argos join the NFL

Inswingingwingman
08-01-2008, 09:05 AM
Hey maybe we could use a lingerie soccer team like the americans have the lingerie bowl. Wow......

Blazer
08-01-2008, 09:06 AM
We just need BMO to remain at its 20,000 capacity and no one will join us. Don't expand and the cows won't feed from our bountiful troths.

Draracle
08-01-2008, 09:07 AM
that 25k might be our saving point... it could also be the hint that his is really moving foward.

the city won't allow expansion over 25k, they want to protect TFC from playing in a stadium that is too large and hurting the atmosphere. 25k was considered the max. Which would obviously be a major sticking point to the Argos, who draw 30k.

boban
08-01-2008, 09:08 AM
We just need BMO to remain at its 20,000 capacity and no one will join us. Don't expand and the cows won't feed from our bountiful troths.
Unfortunately that will keep us as a second rate team.
Expansion is a must on so many levels it ain't even funny.

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB
08-01-2008, 09:15 AM

Carts...

MLSE was awarded a team by MLS...one of the conditions was a SSS!! Yes its owend by the city...but for any reason..the Argos move in and therefor if bmo then does not fall under the SSS requirements....MLS should PUT Pressure MLSE for not following the requirments!!!

That would mean MLSE would have to make a stance from the ARGOS moving in....and if they cant stop them from doing that....MLS should demand MLSE build a new stadium..and pay for it themselfs!!

billyfly
08-01-2008, 09:17 AM
Write the Mayor then: mayor_miller@toronto.ca

You can also just walk up to Miller during a game. I see him there all the time.

Heathen
08-01-2008, 09:21 AM
I've heard from apparently reliable sources that we're getting grass, its only a matter of time. This didn't make sense to me because of the whole community use thing but now it looks as if grass is a concession to appease MLSE and us

Boondaddy
08-01-2008, 09:21 AM
come on people....this is all hot air. It's not happening and I think you all know that deep down....there's really no point discussing numbers, seats, who said what and when....it's just not on.

nascarguy
08-01-2008, 09:23 AM
MLSE was awarded a team by MLS...one of the conditions was a SSS!! Yes its owend by the city...but for any reason..the Argos move in and therefor if bmo then does not fall under the SSS requirements....MLS should PUT Pressure MLSE for not following the requirments!!!

That would mean MLSE would have to make a stance from the ARGOS moving in....and if they cant stop them from doing that....MLS should demand MLSE build a new stadium..and pay for it themselfs!!
ok how much would it cost to buy it from the city.

Beach_Red
08-01-2008, 09:32 AM
Smenge...I love your passion...but dude...your posts on this board border on the ludicrous.

That is the most absurd thing I have ever read about this Argo situation.

Why do you say this?

Let's face it, when MLSE first got involved with soccer they had no idea it would be this successful. Now that they see how much $$$ can be made anything's possible.

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB
08-01-2008, 09:37 AM
ok how much would it cost to buy it from the city.

cITY SHOULD SELL IT OUT RIGHT TO MLSE.....pUT a BUBBLE ON lAMPORT IN THE WINTER.....

ALL THE SUPPORTERS GET INVITED TO BMO.....FOR A RIP THE FIELD TURF OUT PARTY! AND THEN HELP LAY GRASS!!......HELL IM SURE WE WOULD ALL WORK FOR FREE! :)

Mojo
08-01-2008, 09:39 AM
Let the Argos have BMO. MLSE is probably secretly hoping for this so that they can break their deal with the City, and either build a better and larger SSS, or take over the Rogers Centre, and modify it for MLS.

Hahahha, I wish... but no chance in hell that will happen.

Oldtimer
08-01-2008, 09:49 AM
I don't believe the original post.

However, I'm certain that Toronto City Hall has a plan to accomodate the Argooos, and it would work like this:

(1) Movable seats on the South End
(2) Pointyball markings on the fieldturf.
(3) removable REAL GRASS to go on top of the turf.
(4) 30,000 seats
(5) maybe even a roof!

Advantages:

(1) Real grass (and therefor a DP possibility).
(2) Real grass covers up pointyball markings. This won't be like RSL's current stadium.
(3) seats will be the same location as always during TFC matches.

This removes most of the objections. Sure, some will protest, but it will be as effective as the last protest. When the chips are down, most STH will renew, because they'll know that the pointyball lines and sightlines won't be there.

Jack
08-01-2008, 09:54 AM
come on people....this is all hot air. It's not happening and I think you all know that deep down....there's really no point discussing numbers, seats, who said what and when....it's just not on.

Except for the fact that the Argos are already in discussion with the City...

Did you listen to the interview?

loconet
08-01-2008, 09:59 AM

However, I'm certain that Toronto City Hall has a plan to accomodate the Argooos, and it would work like this:

(4) 30,000 seats
(5) maybe even a roof!

Advantages:

(2) Real grass covers up pointyball markings. This won't be like RSL's current stadium.

This removes most of the objections. Sure, some will protest, but it will be as effective as the last protest. When the chips are down, most STH will renew, because they'll know that the pointyball lines and sightlines won't be there.

If you watched the CL final this year as well as some of the euro cup games where they had to do that - put real grass on top of turf or put new grass in short notice, you will see that players did not like that. The unsettled surface made it really hard on them. If Argos move in they'll have to keep moving the grass on and off from June onwards quite frequently. Much like the current turf situation, I would imagine a lot of players would be against this setup.

This is not an acceptable solution IMO.

I would prefer turf + current small capacity than for the Argos to move in.

FluSH
08-01-2008, 10:03 AM
The War is on now...

Technorgasm
08-01-2008, 10:08 AM
ARGOS = NO REAL GRASS EVER!!

which in turn means:

LESS MEANINGFUL INTERNATIONAL GAMES AT BMO

which in tern means

THE WORLD WILL NOT TAKE OUR VENUE / TEAM SERIOUSLY

Stugatzo
08-01-2008, 10:19 AM
Ugh....for the 400 millionth time this year.
As many of you know, I both work for Mayor Miller and am a season seat holder in 225.
So let me state for the 400 millionth time what the Mayor has said publicly about this issue and save you the "i heard" this or that.
Both the mayor and I have been season ticket holders since Day One and as such are concerned about the integrity of our stadium for soccer purposes. This is our house, after all!
The Mayor's position remains that BMO is a soccer stadium first and foremost.
This means that the intimacy of the seating layout cannot be compromised, and he will not support any proposal that means lines or ghost lines or any traces of CFL football lines on the field during a soccer game.
So in short...no lines and the seats stay as close to the playing field as they are now.
Feel free to e-mail mayor_miller@toronto.ca as we are keeping records of all official correspondence on this matter...well at least those that express an opinion in a professional manner.
Spare me the abuse and foul language based on hearsay and conjecture, though...that's what this board is for :-)
See y'all Sunday!

Stuart

loconet
08-01-2008, 10:26 AM
As many of you know, I both work for Mayor Miller and am a season seat holder in 225.
So let me state for the 400 millionth time what the Mayor has said publicly about this issue and save you the "i heard" this or that.
Both the mayor and I have been season ticket holders since Day One and as such are concerned about the integrity of our stadium for soccer purposes. This is our house, after all!
This means that the intimacy of the seating layout cannot be compromised, and he will not support any proposal that means lines or ghost lines or any traces of CFL football lines on the field during a soccer game.
So in short...no lines and the seats stay as close to the playing field as they are now.
Feel free to e-mail mayor_miller@toronto.ca as we are keeping records of all official correspondence on this matter...well at least those that express an opinion in a professional manner.
Spare me the abuse and foul language based on hearsay and conjecture, though...that's what this board is for :-)
See y'all Sunday!

Stuart

The mayor has shown his support the team and it agrees with what you're saying but I'm a bit ignorant about this ; How much say does he have at the end of the day? if city council decides that Argos should move in?

Oldtimer
08-01-2008, 10:29 AM

My post addressed both these issues.

Stugatzo
08-01-2008, 10:40 AM
The mayor has shown his support the team and it agrees with what you're saying but I'm a bit ignorant about this ; How much say does he have at the end of the day? if city council decides that Argos should move in?

IF...and I repeat IF...anything were to happen, it probably wouldn't be a full council decision. But since it's a city owned facility and since the mayor was instrumental in getting it built, he would have to be onside.
However...it's only IF.

Stugatzo
08-01-2008, 10:42 AM
My post addressed both these issues.

Your post was actually really interesting and well thought out. Except there is no "plan" for the Argos to move in.

nascarguy
08-01-2008, 10:47 AM
cITY SHOULD SELL IT OUT RIGHT TO MLSE.....pUT a BUBBLE ON lAMPORT IN THE WINTER.....

ALL THE SUPPORTERS GET INVITED TO BMO.....FOR A RIP THE FIELD TURF OUT PARTY! AND THEN HELP LAY GRASS!!......HELL IM SURE WE WOULD ALL WORK FOR FREE! :)

yeah

Oldtimer
08-01-2008, 11:58 AM
Your post was actually really interesting and well thought out. Except there is no "plan" for the Argos to move in.

Good to know, however given all the noise from the Argos/CFL... there's reason be to concerned, even if there are no concrete plans at City Hall.

sidney
08-01-2008, 12:00 PM
I'm to lazy to put out a solid first draft, but I think that the Red Patch Boys should put out an official/open letter to the Mayor/all City of Toronto Councillors stating our absolute revulsion at even the thought of not keeping BMO/Canada's "National Soccer Stadium" a soccer-specific stadium (meaning not f-ing allowing CFL/Argos ever), and demanding that the Mayor and the City of Toronto, once and for all, publicly state that BMO/Canada's "National Soccer Stadium" is and will be a soccer-specific stadium. The following are some points (please add your own, or improve-upon mine) that should be in this RPB open letter to the Mayor/All City of Toronto Councillors:

- when funding for BMO/Canada's "National Soccer Stadium" was announced it was based on the premise/public belief that it would be a soccer specific stadium.

- largely based on this, see point above, the City/Community of Toronto/GTA/Canada has born witness to the type of fan support (not to mention all the spin-off-tourism-revenue etc...) that has never, ever, been seen in the great white north.

-I, and many others, jumped on the TFC-wave more so because of the incredibly wonderful fans (as our Team has yet to deliver the goods), and now you're considering (at least there is public uncertainty because you, City of Toronto, haven't dismissd these rumors) ruining what we've started and (if you'll allow us) will continue to build.

-The Toronto Argos made their decision to not play in the TFC venue when they backed out of the original deal at York University. They left everyone holding the bag and in crisis. Now that the real (trust-their-word folks) soccer people put their money and hearts where their mouth is, surprise, surprise; the CFL/Argos want back in. They made their bed (more acurately they didn't) so they should now lie in the street (or the SkyDome, but not at BMO/Canada's "National Soccer Stadium"!)

- merely keeping the option open that the CFL/Argos might someday play at BMO/Canada's "National Soccer Stadium" is undermining the very best thing Toronto/GTA has seen in years.

sid

Boris
08-01-2008, 12:02 PM
can we merge this bad boy with the rest of the discussion??

nfitz
08-01-2008, 12:03 PM
Surely if the Argos are making noise, it's likely a negotiating position for the rent at Rogers' Skydome.

DOMIN8R
08-01-2008, 12:20 PM
E-mail to Mayor Miller sent.

sidney
08-01-2008, 12:21 PM
this is meant to be a collective project

joel
08-01-2008, 12:25 PM
I think you guys really don't get it, you are so against the argos being here but officials have said time and time again that even if they get involved MLSE and others will ensure that the soccer experience is not affected. That will mean removable seats and possibly grass for soccer and turf for football.

who knows? the main thing is there is no plan on the table yet, and you guys are blindly opposed to the idea. It makes you sound like a bunch of ignorant kids.

I think it's important to be concerned, and to make your voice known, but you should be looking to get yourselves involved at the president level of the organization to actually get information on the plans as you develop. Try to be part of the process instead of razing against it.

A bunch of protests is silly, they louder you yell, the less people listen. There is a much better approach to this than f-this, and f-that like you own the team, the stadium, and the city for that matter.

Fort York Redcoat
08-01-2008, 12:28 PM
Yes. Say it more. The Argos could have SOLVED their problem already at York but were too cheap and not ambitious enough to follow through what everyone knew would be a step up from Skydome. They flinched and took the easy way out. They are doing it again trying to make like a parasite with the success of BMO. I've followed the Argos, defended the Argos in the past but no more. They want to groundshare they can be the second or third tenant in Skydome.

Ossington Mental Youth
08-01-2008, 12:29 PM
Dude, the minute they move the supporters section/beer garden back 10/15 feet to add end zones, they interfere with the environment. Plain and simple. That is the very least that would happen.

Fort York Redcoat
08-01-2008, 12:31 PM
A bunch of protests is silly, they louder you yell, the less people listen. There is a much better approach to this than f-this, and f-that like you own the team, the stadium, and the city for that matter.

Why is this question in the media every week now? Nobody's listening?

sidney
08-01-2008, 12:36 PM
that's why we should get the city/mayor to state publicly that bmo will remain a soccer-specific stadium. we need this guarantee before we can ever hope to shoot for real grass. it's a simple starting point that needs to get started

joel
08-01-2008, 12:41 PM
Why is this question in the media every week now? Nobody's listening?

So what, how does that translate into action? That's what I mean. RPB has a relationship with MLSE why aren't we using it?

It's in the media as far as reporters that cover TFC goes, I wouldn't really say it's any more exposure than that. Is it going to hit the average person, no? Soccer fan? Yes.

Like I said vioices need to be heard I just get a little frustrated with the attitude that comes with it sometimes. Some people think you're just fanatics if you go too far. There are channels to go through that can be more effective, that's all I'm saying.

sidney
08-01-2008, 12:44 PM
see: http://64.13.252.151/forums/showthread.php?t=4125

alexintoronto
08-01-2008, 12:50 PM
Does York still need a new stadium? They should invest their $20 million there and build a FSS - Football Specific Stadium. We can call it the National Canadian Football Stadium and they can throw streamers during field goals. Blue seats, Argos logo built into the stands... It would be great! Do it Pinball Do it. The Argos have over 100 years of history - don't waste your time in a stadium with red seats!

:canada:

sidney
08-01-2008, 12:54 PM
Does York still need a new stadium? They should invest their $20 million there and build a FSS - Football Specific Stadium. We can call it the National Canadian Football Stadium and they can throw streamers during field goals. Blue seats, Argos logo built into the stands... It would be great! Do it Pinball Do it. The Argos have over 100 years of history - don't waste your time in a stadium with red seats!

:canada:

wonderful!!

Maple Leaf Red
08-01-2008, 12:56 PM
Feel free to e-mail mayor_miller@toronto.ca (mayor_miller@toronto.ca) as we are keeping records of all official correspondence on this matter...well at least those that express an opinion in a professional manner.
See y'all Sunday!

Stuart

So step one should be having everyone send an e-mail to the mayor. The SG heads could put together a template that only requires you put your name in so that we can ensure that the letters cover the important points and remain respectful.

It'll make it easier to get less dedicated fans to take part and we could hand out cards at the games asking people to send the e-mail in.

NateDoGG
08-01-2008, 01:00 PM
if the argos come to bmo there should be a massive march and protest in downtown toronto

Jimmy The Saint
08-01-2008, 01:00 PM
I think you guys really don't get it, you are so against the argos being here but officials have said time and time again that even if they get involved MLSE and others will ensure that the soccer experience is not affected. That will mean removable seats and possibly grass for soccer and turf for football.

who knows? the main thing is there is no plan on the table yet, and you guys are blindly opposed to the idea. It makes you sound like a bunch of ignorant kids.

I think it's important to be concerned, and to make your voice known, but you should be looking to get yourselves involved at the president level of the organization to actually get information on the plans as you develop. Try to be part of the process instead of razing against it.

We're working on it. In a rational fashion. Sustainable, focused and informed. We'll all see something in the next week or 2 about what the plans are.

NateDoGG
08-01-2008, 01:26 PM
rpd should send a letter to the mayor, and then have everyone sign the back of it lol

Robin
08-01-2008, 01:52 PM
Hey guys, stop getting all bothered about Argos moving to BMO Field. Why would they want to leave their warm and cosy Rogers Centre? Atmosphere?

Think about the dates the CFL plays. They Grey Cup is played in late November. This year the Grey Cup is Nov 23. They're playing league games all the way through to October 30 and playoffs in November. Would you want to sit in BMO Field in November? Hell, it's been damn cold in June!

check the Argos dates:
http://www.argonauts.ca/schedule/year/2008/7

check the grey cup dates:
http://www.cflgreycup.ca/montreal/

I_AM_CANADIAN
08-01-2008, 01:54 PM
Didn't they used to play at Exhibition Stadium? I dunno, I can't see it bothering them too much. Not only that, but if you follow the CFL, it's not a real Grey Cup if it's not played in the snow. ;)

olegunnar
08-01-2008, 02:13 PM

I don't mean to be combative, but soccer stadium first and foremost, is a far cry from Soccer Specific.

At what point did the National Soccer Stadium cease being soccer specific?

“The City of Toronto is focused on making Toronto’s waterfront more vibrant and welcoming by building on and enhancing our public spaces for the enjoyment of all Torontonians,” said Mayor David Miller. “I’m pleased that the addition of the National Soccer Stadium to the Exhibition Place grounds is another step in realizing our vision.”
“Exhibition Place is one of the most celebrated landmarks in Toronto, welcoming millions of visitors each year to participate in renowned events and celebrations,” said Deputy Mayor Joe Pantalone. “The National Soccer Stadium will be another opportunity for us to host Toronto residents and visitors for spectacular events and experiences.”

“Ontario’s really getting into the game with this new soccer stadium,” said Minister Caplan. “Right now, World Cup is drawing the attention of young soccer players around the globe. That’s why the McGuinty government is on the side of these young athletes who will be playing for their own cup in this new modern sports facility next year.”
http://www.infrastructure.gc.ca/ip-pi/csif-fcis/news-nouvelles/2006/20060704toronto_e.shtml

The federal gov't press release those quotes are from is titled.

CANADA, ONTARIO AND TORONTO ANNOUNCE THE SIGNING OF A CONTRIBUTION AGREEMENT FOR THE CONSTRUCTION OF THE NATIONAL SOCCER STADIUM AT EXHIBITION PLACE

ilikemusic
08-01-2008, 02:15 PM
Hey guys, stop getting all bothered about Argos moving to BMO Field. Why would they want to leave their warm and cosy Rogers Centre? Atmosphere?

Think about the dates the CFL plays. They Grey Cup is played in late November. This year the Grey Cup is Nov 23. They're playing league games all the way through to October 30 and playoffs in November. Would you want to sit in BMO Field in November? Hell, it's been damn cold in June!

check the Argos dates:
http://www.argonauts.ca/schedule/year/2008/7

check the grey cup dates:
http://www.cflgreycup.ca/montreal/

If the team on the pitch ever gets their act together we could be playing game in November and im pretty sure CONCACAF Champions League games come up in February.

kitchener-TFC
08-01-2008, 02:19 PM
We should set up a petition.

Cashcleaner
08-01-2008, 02:26 PM

(4) 30,000 seats
(5) maybe even a roof!

Advantages:

Wow. That actually looks like a pretty sick plan if that's how it plays out. Put natural grass over the field turf and you've shut-up a lot of people. :)

olegunnar
08-01-2008, 02:29 PM
I wonder if the Feds would want their 27 million back since nothing that they state the money was for is actually being implemented. National Soccer Stadium? Nope. State of the art? No chance.

“Canada’s New Government is pleased to have contributed $27 million towards BMO Field, Canada’s National Soccer Stadium, which will make a positive contribution to the economy here and to the GTA,” said the Honourable Jim Flaherty, Minister of Finance and Minister responsible for the GTA.

“The new soccer stadium will allow Toronto to host world-class soccer events and also provide local players with a venue for sport and recreation,” said Secretary of State Guergis. “This government recognizes the need to provide our athletes with state-of-the-art facilities to help them achieve athletic excellence.”

http://wx.toronto.ca/inter/it/newsrel.nsf/9da959222128b9e885256618006646d3/41b84cf6c5ef64fe852572db004bc010?OpenDocument

olegunnar
08-01-2008, 02:31 PM
Wow. That actually looks like a pretty sick plan if that's how it plays out. Put natural grass over the field turf and you've shut-up a lot of people. :)

it's a minor thing, but it makes a huge difference when you share facilities.

The decorations and banners and colours. Basically the furnishings of our home. Gone, since there'd be Argos stuff all over the place and probably grey seats instead of red etc. etc.

olegunnar
08-01-2008, 02:32 PM
If BMO was home to the Argos as well
Would the people that bought space on the fan wall get their money back?
I doubt they bought so they could have a piece of a fan wall in the Argo's stadium

Cashcleaner
08-01-2008, 02:37 PM

The decorations and banners and colours. Basically the furnishings of our home. Gone, since there'd be Argos stuff all over the place and probably grey seats instead of red etc. etc.

Okay, but here's what I dislike most about the argument people are making.

Why would all of the TFC colours be taken down? Would they actually take away all those red seats and replace them with grey or blue or what have you?

It doesn't sound likely.

Carts
08-01-2008, 02:39 PM

The very simple answer to this is The Montreal Allouettes...

They left a cozy dome for a small outdoor venue and it has been the best thing in the history of their team...

That's unfortunately why...

Carts...

PS: I DO NOT WANT THE ARGOS MOVING TO BMO - just answering why they're considering it...

Carts
08-01-2008, 02:42 PM

Why would all of the TFC colours be taken down? Would they actually take away oll those red seats and replace them with grey or blue or what have you?

Of course not.

I think they might do the "half-anf-half"...

If they re-build the east side to look like the west, I could see those seats being Blue...

They could even wire the stadium to have the camera points and broadcast booths on opposite sides for each broadcast - so Toronto FC broadcasts see red seats (we don't have empty seats), and CFL fans can look at empty blue seats...

TV runs all at times...

Carts...

olegunnar
08-01-2008, 02:43 PM

Why would all of the TFC colours be taken down? Would they actually take away oll those red seats and replace them with grey or blue or what have you?

Of course not.

There's a move away from the trend of the 70's (astrodome, three rivers, riverfront) and the giant "multi-use" facility.

The astros ditched the astrodome and have their own park and the Texans play in Reliant Stadium
The Steelers and the Pirates ditched three rivers and now each have their own unique homes.
The Reds and Bengals did the same with Riverfront.
In Baltimore Municipal stadium was left for Ravens Field and Oriole park.

The list could go on and on.

Yes some of this stadium building is ownership groups getting hand outs....but still the rest of the planet seems to see thevalue in the sports franchise having it's own home...why are we stuck in the 70s?

I've been to three rivers and river front and they both were full of two teams banners and colours, and fans.

Shouldn't a team's stadium be their home rather than a time share?

I_AM_CANADIAN
08-01-2008, 02:49 PM
If the Argos want their stadium, they should build a new Varsity Stadium, don't mooch off the success of Toronto FC.

ilikemusic
08-01-2008, 02:55 PM

Why would all of the TFC colours be taken down? Would they actually take away all those red seats and replace them with grey or blue or what have you?

It doesn't sound likely.

Exactly.

The Raptors and Leafs share a facility and they are red and blue. I dont think either teams furnishings detracts from the others.

joel
08-01-2008, 03:02 PM
We're working on it. In a rational fashion. Sustainable, focused and informed. We'll all see something in the next week or 2 about what the plans are.

Right, this is what I'm looking for. Good stuff, it seems like some members/visitors don't seem to be as aware of this stuff..and we get 5 page threads of people freaking out. To a casual visitor browsing the boards it doesn't seem as rational, if you catch my drift.

I_AM_CANADIAN
08-01-2008, 03:08 PM
Yeah, and we all know what a great atmosphere the ACC has...:rolleyes: The Leafs moved away from their traditional home (MLG forever) at the height of the whole mega sports complex phase, and now they're seeing the results. The support they get at home is a joke.

reggie
08-01-2008, 03:08 PM
the argos will not leave the skydome(not fucking rogers place)because they have a bigger scoreboard then bmo,how else will they be able to make that fake crowd noise...

fuck off argonot in our stadium....

I_AM_CANADIAN
08-01-2008, 03:13 PM

:canada:Extremely well said. I like the Argos, I'd support that plan, it'd be a fantastic place for the Argos to play. Of course, there's the problem of our city councillors not seeing sports as an important investment (because clearly, there aren't enough fat people in North America already...), but hey, the Mayor seems to be behind TFC and the National Soccer Stadium 100%, I seem to recall Miller being the one that really pushed the plan through.

Why not get a National Football Stadium? It'd be another step on the way to making ours a world class city again.

Stugatzo
08-01-2008, 04:51 PM
I don't mean to be combative, but soccer stadium first and foremost, is a far cry from Soccer Specific.

At what point did the National Soccer Stadium cease being soccer specific?

...whe Philled Colons crooned the first bars of Turn it On Again Last summer.
Also, the press release you quote is before naming rights were determined AND during the U20 it was the National Soccer Stadium.

redcard
08-01-2008, 04:53 PM

quick question...do you think TFC will pay to have the grass moved in and then out for Argo games? or are the Argos going to pay since they moved in after the fact?

where does the team keep the grass after it is removed for argo games? in the parking lot? so who pays to store it and where will it grow during the winter?

boban
08-01-2008, 05:13 PM
I've heard from apparently reliable sources that we're getting grass, its only a matter of time. This didn't make sense to me because of the whole community use thing but now it looks as if grass is a concession to appease MLSE and us
There are currently 8 plans on the table as to the next step of NSS expansion and/or alterations. This includes adding just private boxes to the south end to a second level on the east stand to a total reconstruction of the south stands.
All these seating configurations includes plans with and without real grass. There is some plan also that looks at developing the parking lot south of the stadium into a practice field(s). This may or may not satisfy the community use aspect of it.

Jeffro
08-01-2008, 05:19 PM
There is one thing that has been consistently left out of this discussion. The simple fact that there is not enough room, on the north and south ends of the stadium, to expand in order to accomodate a CFL field, unless they knock down the Food building. I'm fairly sure that this was discovered last year when they first looked into moving the argos here.

I have to say, I think at this point we don't have much to worry about.... other than strikers and field turf.

boban
08-01-2008, 05:22 PM
There is one thing that has been consistently left out of this discussion. The simple fact that there is not enough room, on the north and south ends of the stadium, to expand in order to accomodate a CFL field, unless they knock down the Food building. I'm fairly sure that this was discovered last year when they first looked into moving the argos here.

I have to say, I think at this point we don't have much to worry about.... other than strikers and field turf.
There is room on the south end if the stand is made into a retractable one.
A 3,000 stand can go on the north end and a second level can be added to the east stand. In short, more than enough room.

olegunnar
08-01-2008, 05:26 PM
...whe Philled Colons crooned the first bars of Turn it On Again Last summer.
Also, the press release you quote is before naming rights were determined AND during the U20 it was the National Soccer Stadium.

Fair enough.
However i think a distinction can and should be made between a one off (when's the next concert at BMO)? and a new tenant.

As to the 2nd point...BMO seems to think it's a soccer specific stadium

BMO has acquired the naming rights to the new National Soccer Stadium on the grounds of Exhibition Place in Toronto. Known as BMO Field (http://web.mlsnet.com/t280/stadium/) (Canada's first soccer-specific stadium), the stadium will play host to Toronto Football Club (http://toronto.fc.mlsnet.com/), Canada's first Major League Soccer (MLS) team. In addition to naming rights, the bank is also a major sponsor of the Toronto FC.

http://www4.bmo.com/popup/0,2284,35649_21569739,00.html

and it goes past naming it's also sponsoring the Ontario Soccer association. So moving the Argos in would hurt the game at all levels.

"The extensive partnership between BMO Financial Group and MLSE includes title sponsorship of the National Soccer Stadium, sponsorship of Toronto FC, a corporate suite and sponsorship of Play Soccer, a grassroots soccer program developed by the Ontario Soccer Association that will further grow the sport among youth."

http://www2.bmo.com/news/article/0,1083,contentCode-5889_divId-4_langId-1_navCode-112,00.html

Stugatzo
08-01-2008, 05:38 PM
Fair enough.
However i think a distinction can and should be made between a one off (when's the next concert at BMO)? and a new tenant.

I dunno...when's the next time Genesis needs to not be able to sell out a 25,000 seat venue??:rolleyes:
Surely if they tour with Gabriel they'd need Downsview Park.
Point being, it is possible to use the stadium for things other than soccer WITHOUT compromising any aspect of the atmosphere, integrity, the game or the team.
CFL lines on a soccer field and changes in seat configuration that move us further from the field WOULD compromise those things and would be unacceptable.
Clearly the concert had no impact on any of it.
Even your beloved Arsenal's home has done it.

Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band have today announced their first series of UK tour dates for 2008 with Emirates Stadium hosting the London leg on Friday, May 30, 2008.

http://www.arsenal.com/article.asp?thisNav=News&article=484885&lid=NewsHeadline&Title=Emirates+Stadium+to+host+first+concert

I'm just saying is all.
;)

Jeffro
08-01-2008, 05:56 PM
There is room on the south end if the stand is made into a retractable one.
A 3,000 stand can go on the north end and a second level can be added to the east stand. In short, more than enough room.

I could be wrong, but I don't think there would be anywhere for the stand to retract to... with the entrances, concessions, bathrooms and whatnot, and the road just outside... I don't know.

Does anyone know exacly how many feet would need to be added lengthwise for a cfl field?? I can't remember

olegunnar
08-01-2008, 06:04 PM
I dunno...when's the next time Genesis needs to not be able to sell out a 25,000 seat venue??:rolleyes:
Surely if they tour with Gabriel they'd need Downsview Park.
Point being, it is possible to use the stadium for things other than soccer WITHOUT compromising any aspect of the atmosphere, integrity, the game or the team.
CFL lines on a soccer field and changes in seat configuration that move us further from the field WOULD compromise those things and would be unacceptable.
Clearly the concert had no impact on any of it.
Even your beloved Arsenal's home has done it.

Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band have today announced their first series of UK tour dates for 2008 with Emirates Stadium hosting the London leg on Friday, May 30, 2008.

http://www.arsenal.com/article.asp?thisNav=News&article=484885&lid=NewsHeadline&Title=Emirates+Stadium+to+host+first+concert

I'm just saying is all.
;)

Stupid gooners allowing their ground to be whored out like that! :hump:

In all seriousness, it's not the non-soccer events that my personal beef is against...it's the new tenant. That's a regular event, and whether legally or not, possession is 9/10ths of the law and once in they'll be able to do their thing to the field.

Maybe it's because BMO is in a not often travelled part of the city or that the streetcar drops you off at the door, but as someone that's gone to basically every possible sporting even in the city, going to BMO is an event. BMO is part of the "experience", the "experience" we as supporters have created.

We bitch about the BMO this is our house commercial, but I cringe even more about the first time I'll see highlights of Argo fans stomping their feet on the aluminum stands, that's us and ours. That's one of many things that have happened in the process of making BMO ours.

Changing the colours, The white maple leaf in the red stands, having another team's banners in the concourses, having TSN say "live from CIBC field, BMO field when it's a soccer game, it's the Argos vs the Roughriders" would impact the experience because BMO wouldn't be BMO anymore.

One of the charms of BMO is that it is a monument to hard work, dedication and patience on behalf of the untapped soccer fan in Canada. Put the Argos in there and it's tainted and it's not as special a place.

So the mayor can be happy or satisfied about similar sightlines and removable girdiron lines should teh Argos move in, but no matter what there will be intangible things that will take away from the experience if there's a new full time tenant added to our house.

FluSH
08-01-2008, 06:05 PM
Fair enough.

As to the 2nd point...BMO seems to think it's a soccer specific stadium

BMO has acquired the naming rights to the new National Soccer Stadium on the grounds of Exhibition Place in Toronto. Known as BMO Field (http://web.mlsnet.com/t280/stadium/) (Canada's first soccer-specific stadium), the stadium will play host to Toronto Football Club (http://toronto.fc.mlsnet.com/), Canada's first Major League Soccer (MLS) team. In addition to naming rights, the bank is also a major sponsor of the Toronto FC.

http://www4.bmo.com/popup/0,2284,35649_21569739,00.html

and it goes past naming it's also sponsoring the Ontario Soccer association. So moving the Argos in would hurt the game at all levels.

"The extensive partnership between BMO Financial Group and MLSE includes title sponsorship of the National Soccer Stadium, sponsorship of Toronto FC, a corporate suite and sponsorship of Play Soccer, a grassroots soccer program developed by the Ontario Soccer Association that will further grow the sport among youth."

http://www2.bmo.com/news/article/0,1083,contentCode-5889_divId-4_langId-1_navCode-112,00.html (http://www2.bmo.com/news/article/0,1083,contentCode-5889_divId-4_langId-1_navCode-112,00.html)

Very interesting indeed...

RPB_Brantford_08
08-01-2008, 06:22 PM
just sent an unfriendly letter to the cfl site....stating they don't belong at BMO and their teams and league are Shite...buts it's funy on their web page...saying this is our league....they are stealing our chants at well.....Death to the CFL !!

ilikemusic
08-01-2008, 06:35 PM
Yeah, and we all know what a great atmosphere the ACC has...:rolleyes: The Leafs moved away from their traditional home (MLG forever) at the height of the whole mega sports complex phase, and now they're seeing the results. The support they get at home is a joke.

I know eh? Where is the supporters section? $15 tickets in the south end and they still cant organize.

:noidea:

Bluenose13
08-01-2008, 06:38 PM
I know eh? Where is the supporters section? $15 tickets in the south end and they still cant organize.

:noidea:What does this have to do with the ACC.......What are you trying to say :noidea:

Stugatzo
08-01-2008, 06:42 PM
One of the charms of BMO is that it is a monument to hard work, dedication and patience on behalf of the untapped soccer fan in Canada. Put the Argos in there and it's tainted and it's not as special a place.

So the mayor can be happy or satisfied about similar sightlines and removable girdiron lines should teh Argos move in, but no matter what there will be intangible things that will take away from the experience if there's a new full time tenant added to our house.

But...
Lest we forget who it was that brokered the deal for the stadium after talk of it going to Downsview or the 905 where it was not getting the city's $10 million contribution.
The Mayor has a vested interest in the stadium as a fan, a TFC STH and the guy who saw it got built in the first place. To suggest otherwise is simply untrue.
Right, I'm off to go camping.
Have a great weekend and see you all Sunday.

Waggy
08-01-2008, 07:24 PM
As someone who loves both the Argos and TFC, I can all but assure you this won't happen. Why would the Argos EVER give up a rent free 35 000 seat stadium to pay to move into a 25 000 seat stadium? The Argos aren't montreal moving from Olympic stadium. The Argos draw fans, and don't have any problems with the stadium falling down. They also have landlords who are pretty accommodating.

The Argos also fancy themselves as a quasi NFL team. Moving to a stadium like BMO would hurt their image. And in turn, the CFL's image. The only reason they would ever move would be if the NFL were to actually come to Toronto, and theres a whole host of reasons why that isn't happening any time soon.

We all know dollars are what runs Sports in Toronto. This move would cost the Argos untold millions of dollars over the short and long term. Not to mention the negatives for MLSE (why piss off a relatively young but rabbid fan base when you wouldn't even make money on it?). To be honest, I don't even see a single party that benifits from the Argos moving to BMO. Rogers makes money on concessions at the Argos games, on days when it ordinarily wouldn't make a cent. The Argos can charge 65 for a ticket and pay none of it for rent. TFC doesn't need to worry about sharing a stadium. The only ones who'd profit would be the city of Toronto. But since last time I checked, they don't REALLY have a say as stadium owners, these rumors aren't shit. Its just the City hoping if they say it enough times it'll happen. If the Argos were going to move to an outdoor stadium, they would have jumped in when BMO was being built. Relax

Jack
08-01-2008, 07:35 PM
Ok Waggy.

Well, I am a believer that where there's smoke, there's fire. For some reason, the commissioner of the league keeps bringing this up and has actually said negotiations have been undertaken by the Argos.

It could be a plan to perpetuate their rent-free life at Skydome, or not.

Nonetheless, we're not going to be sandbagged on this one.

We're not in a panic, so we don't need to relax. We're simply going to do whatever is necessary to make sure this issue is dead, buried and forgotten.

I_AM_CANADIAN
08-01-2008, 07:41 PM

:noidea:
I thought the cheapest tickets were the $40 standing room ones.:confused: When I watch Leafs games on TV, all I see in the lower bowl is suits. It's pretty sad, if you go to a Leafs road game in Buffalo you probably get more true fans than you do at the ACC.

Waggy
08-01-2008, 07:51 PM
I hear what you're saying, but I think the only way to make this a dead issue is to let it die. To be honest I hear a ton more about it from the TFC supporters than anyone else. My family has had Argos seasons tickets for 50 years. I haven't heard a thing from the Argos end of it at all. Not even a whisper. In fact, I believe the Argos are already working on bringing the Grey Cup back to Toronto, which would obviously require the Dome. Just from a purely business sense, (which I think is the way things tend to happen when MLSE and Rogers get together), this move makes no sense for anyone. Especially when those 2 are trying to work together to bring the NFL to Toronto. If Rogers was trying to end its rent free arrangement to make the Argos more uncomfortable, why would MLSE want to share a stadium with them? I agree that when theres smoke theres fire, but when the smoke is coming from City hall, it probably just means someone farted

MG42
08-01-2008, 07:52 PM
I agree that when theres smoke theres fire, but when the smoke is coming from City hall, it probably just means someone farted

beautiful! LOL

loconet
08-01-2008, 08:37 PM

In all seriousness, it's not the non-soccer events that my personal beef is against...it's the new tenant. That's a regular event, and whether legally or not, possession is 9/10ths of the law and once in they'll be able to do their thing to the field.

Maybe it's because BMO is in a not often travelled part of the city or that the streetcar drops you off at the door, but as someone that's gone to basically every possible sporting even in the city, going to BMO is an event. BMO is part of the "experience", the "experience" we as supporters have created.

We bitch about the BMO this is our house commercial, but I cringe even more about the first time I'll see highlights of Argo fans stomping their feet on the aluminum stands, that's us and ours. That's one of many things that have happened in the process of making BMO ours.

Changing the colours, The white maple leaf in the red stands, having another team's banners in the concourses, having TSN say "live from CIBC field, BMO field when it's a soccer game, it's the Argos vs the Roughriders" would impact the experience because BMO wouldn't be BMO anymore.

Well said mate. Those are precisely my feelings as well - couldn't have said it better.

I dream of one day telling my kids how I watched BMO field get built from the start and that I was part of its history as a football fan. I dream of it one day [probably in a distant future] it becomes a legendary football stadium similar to the likes of OT, Anfield, San Siro, Camp Nou, Estádio do Maracană, la Bombonera, and others. However, that wish will be crushed very early if the pointy football tennant moves in. :(

StandUpIfYouHateChelsea
08-01-2008, 08:45 PM
they should add a second level over everything but the east side...... take out the beer garden...... orr just add a 2nd level there over the beer garden, looking like the tivoli new....... from the euros

View of the south end
http://www.budgetairlinefootball.co.uk/mediac/400_0/media/DSCI4330.JPG

view from the beer garden looking south
http://www.euro2008.uefa.com/MultimediaFiles/Photo/Competitions/StaticContent/66/47/93/664793_w2.jpg

BakaGaijin
08-01-2008, 08:59 PM
As someone who loves both the Argos and TFC, I can all but assure you this won't happen. Why would the Argos EVER give up a rent free 35 000 seat stadium to pay to move into a 25 000 seat stadium? The Argos aren't montreal moving from Olympic stadium. The Argos draw fans, and don't have any problems with the stadium falling down. They also have landlords who are pretty accommodating.

My response to this would be that perhaps it involves MLSE actually purchasing the Argo's.

loconet
08-01-2008, 09:14 PM
they should add a second level over everything but the east side...... take out the beer garden...... orr just add a 2nd level there over the beer garden, looking like the tivoli new....... from the euros

View of the south end

view from the beer garden looking south

or something like these would be nice .. .. 30k stadiums

Nottingham City Ground
http://www.worldstadiums.com/stadium_pictures/europe/united_kingdom/england/east_midlands/nottingham_city_ground1.jpg
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/80/220325491_6a255d2871.jpg?v=0

Volkswagen Arena
http://www.d-burkhard.de/bundesliga_2006_volkswagen_arena_innen.jpg

St Andrews
http://www.fussballtempel.net/uefa/ENG/St_Andrews_A.jpg

StandUpIfYouHateChelsea
08-01-2008, 09:27 PM
ohh cool , the only problem is the beer garden:canada:

boban
08-01-2008, 09:30 PM
ohh cool , the only problem is the beer garden:canada:
Fuck the beer garden.
Put it under one of the stands and put huge big screens inside there.

loconet
08-01-2008, 09:43 PM
Fuck the beer garden.
Put it under one of the stands and put huge big screens inside there.

Yah, you can't even see the game properly from the beer garden unless you are in the first row or are very tall.

ExiledRed
08-01-2008, 10:00 PM
My response to this would be that perhaps it involves MLSE actually purchasing the Argo's.

now you're scaring me

DVS
08-01-2008, 10:17 PM
I need to move to a new city or just quit being a sports fan.

MLSE just squeezes blood from my stone viens

RPB_Brantford_08
08-01-2008, 10:19 PM

MLSE don't need a mickey mouse product like the CFL, it would be better
going after an NFL team with suitable partners then going in the shite league thats the CFL.

TFC07
08-01-2008, 10:32 PM
MLSE don't need a mickey mouse product like the CFL, it would be better
going after an NFL team with suitable partners then going in the shite league thats the CFL.

You can say the same about MLS, but they end up buying a team.

Seriously, why would Argos leave Rogers centre and move into a small stadium like BMO field?

alexintoronto
08-01-2008, 10:37 PM
As someone who loves both the Argos and TFC, I can all but assure you this won't happen. Why would the Argos EVER give up a rent free 35 000 seat stadium to pay to move into a 25 000 seat stadium?

http://wnymedia.net/blogs/wp-content/blogs.dir/1/files/sportsgraphics/Buffalo_Bills_Logo.gif

TFC07
08-01-2008, 10:42 PM
http://wnymedia.net/blogs/wp-content/blogs.dir/1/files/sportsgraphics/Buffalo_Bills_Logo.gif

Well in that case, Canadian soccer fans shouldn't support the Bills coming to Toronto.

greatwhitenorf
08-01-2008, 10:45 PM
Let's put the periscope up shall we and see what a vision of BMO Field should look like.

Put grass in.

Add 5-10,000 seats.

Sign De Ro.

Fill new seats instantly.

Attract and sign new skill players eager to move, or come home, to Toronto.

Win MLS.

Win Canada Cup.

Go deep into CONCACAF Champions League play.

Host two friendlies yearly against top European CL clubs.

Host several other friendlies among international visitors.

Host Canadian national teams at least eight times each year.

Hire skilled trainers to keep overworked ground fit as 35+ games per year has them bagged.

Admire bulging bank accounts at MLSE, City of Toronto, CSA.

Wonder whatever happened to that crazy idea about putting in a CFL team.

Take time responding and then haggle for more money when FIFA calls to see if BMO Field will be available to participate as group host venue for joint Canada-USA World Cup in 2014.

Add more seats. Install rooves over stands.

Win MLS.

Win Canada Cup.

And so on and so on and so on.....

Inswingingwingman
08-02-2008, 02:39 AM
rooves.....

well....groovy........

One thing for sure, the Queen's English is never going to be saved on this forum, chappies.

As to grass it's passez, mes amis. The socialists are, and have, plotted to ban herbicides and pesticides in many cities already. So playing on ragweed, dandelions, and other assorted wild weeds will become the norm. No sense in wringing your hands either..soon only the American golf courses will look green, ours are headed to become infested with every kind of insect and weed the Big Guy ever created. You are then going to mourn the loss of field turf and hope that weed spreads over the province like wild fire so you at least can uproot a bit and smoke it.......

Waggy
08-02-2008, 08:48 AM
MLSE isn't buying the Argos. 1) I don't think the current owners are even remotely interested in selling. They bought the team not as a Financial Investment (that they've made mad money is a bonus), but because they wanted a toy. Always the best owners. And 2) They're trying to buy the Bills whenever whats his name kicks off.

However. The NFL isn't coming to Toronto full time any time soon. Even if MLSE knows this (which I'm sure they're well aware), they still wouldn't want to get involved in any way with the CFL. I'm sure a suite brought on by every other CFL team and possibly some Senators would prevent any attempt by MLSE to buy the Argos (Yes Lion, go sleep with the sheep. Its cool).

And the NFL isnt coming for 1 reason. The NFL makes mad money on its TV rights. A team in Toronto not only doesn't help the NFL make more TV money, it actually loses money for the league. The reason you don't see Toronto highlights on ESPN that often is because Canadians don't HAVE ESPN, so the network doesn't need to risk pissing us as a fan base off. They need to cater to their fans who pay their salaries. We also don't have a local CBS or Fox network. In fact, they can't even show American commercials on TV here which is where they REALLY make their money. The NFL expanding to ANY American market makes infinitely more sense then expanding to Toronto, especially since anyone who likes the NFL in Toronto can go to Buffalo for 10% of what MLSE/Rogers are asking for the games here.

I_AM_CANADIAN
08-02-2008, 08:54 AM
Zactly, I don't want the NFL here for one thing, because to be honest I prefer CFL football... And a Canadian team in the NFL doesn't make sense financially, because there are American cities that I'm sure would love an NFL team, and they can make more money by expanding or moving to an American city.

RPB_Brantford_08
08-02-2008, 04:32 PM
Well in that case, Canadian soccer fans shouldn't support the Bills coming to Toronto.

If that helps KILL the CFL im all for it!!!...

FluSH
08-02-2008, 04:46 PM
Who made the NO WAY Argos banner? was it Deniz' or Maswary? either way it should be brought tomorrow!

deeznutz
08-02-2008, 05:39 PM
who are the argos?? are they some 70's rockband?

RealG-TFC
08-02-2008, 07:50 PM
If that helps KILL the CFL im all for it!!!...

:(:(

alexintoronto
08-02-2008, 07:54 PM
Who made the NO WAY Argos banner? was it Deniz' or Maswary? either way it should be brought tomorrow!
Deniz was the mastermind - the people in the picture all worked on it.

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1012/1421760608_e0c0b9d960.jpg

nfitz
08-03-2008, 01:49 AM
who are the argos?? are they some 70's rockband?No, Argos (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Argos_(retailer)) is a catalogue store - like the old Consumer's Distributing. I've never come across the Toronto Argos store though ... must be hidden somewhere with M&S.

Keystone FC
08-03-2008, 03:07 AM
No, Argos (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Argos_(retailer)) is a catalogue store - like the old Consumer's Distributing. I've never come across the Toronto Argos store though ... must be hidden somewhere with M&S.
UUNAaz2PN-k

Canary Canuck
08-04-2008, 08:11 PM
Here are the predictable views of CFL fans on the matter

http://www1.cfl.ca/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=27585&start=0

One guy says the worst thing about TFC are the "whiny supporters groups"

adampz
08-04-2008, 08:14 PM
Deniz was the mastermind - the people in the picture all worked on it.

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1012/1421760608_e0c0b9d960.jpg Its a great banner, are we gonna see it at bmo?

Cambridge_Red
08-04-2008, 08:19 PM
It was there yesterday. (first half) Some techinical difficulties though...