PDA

View Full Version : LAFC expansion draft - Dec 12, 2PM

Oldtimer
11-15-2017, 06:52 PM
MLS has set the time for the expansion draft, the full calendar of dates for releasing the protected list, etc. is here:

https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2017/11/14/2017-mls-expansion-draft-details-announced-lafc-preps-inaugural-season

They can choose five players, TFC can protect eleven.

JoeM
11-15-2017, 07:09 PM
Bono, Zavaleta, Hagglund, Mavinga, Morrow, Bradley, Delgado, Vazquez, Altidore, Giovinco?

And we could protect one more but not sure who it would be. Ricketts maybe? Moor has a lost a step and wouldn't be taken. I'd hate to see either Hasler or Beitashour go, but we can afford to lose one or the other. Who else does that leave that could be taken? I believe Osorio/Hamilton/Edwards don't need to be protected. So we'd risk losing a rightback, Ricketts, or Cooper. Cooper is the one I'm most okay with - eating up a lot of salary on the bench.

BenRhodes23
11-15-2017, 10:04 PM
I like Cooper but I wouldn't be surprised to see him go. I think we should protect Ricketts or Hasler

Cuchulain
11-16-2017, 08:11 AM
I'd rather see Ricketts stay on account of him being Canadian. I am really fond of Hasler though. It's a shame we will probably lose someone who has been instrumental in making this team what it has been this year.

ensco
11-16-2017, 08:16 AM
Hasler’s attractiveness to others is totally a function of his contract. Impossible to have an opinion without those details

Cas87
11-16-2017, 09:19 AM
I feel as though Hasler will be protected as Betiashour is a free agent in the offseason (same with Moor) and their salary demands will probably have LAFC not take them with and expansion pick only to lose them immediately for nothing.

Blindside16
11-17-2017, 01:26 AM
Does anyone know if Bono still falls under the GA protection?

Edit: Nevermind I just re-read the rules and answered my own stupid question.

Joe Kool
11-17-2017, 01:40 AM
Hasler’s attractiveness to others is totally a function of his contract. Impossible to have an opinion without those details

Pretty sure I heard him say in an interview that the contract was less this year to help make the cap work but a bigger hit next year so maybe he will be left unprotected due to the bigger cap hit next season compared to this year. Depends how big I guess.

Blindside16
11-17-2017, 05:45 AM
Pretty sure I heard him say in an interview that the contract was less this year to help make the cap work but a bigger hit next year so maybe he will be left unprotected due to the bigger cap hit next season compared to this year. Depends how big I guess.

I can't remember where I read it but I remember reading that his contract was back loaded. I think next year he is due to make $100,000+.

Hamilton_Red
11-17-2017, 09:53 PM
Well - I'd have a chat with Bradley. If he wants to go an play for his Dad then I wouldn't get in the way. I doubt that they would want to do that. In that case I'd leave him unprotected.

Oldtimer
11-18-2017, 01:04 AM
Well - I'd have a chat with Bradley. If he wants to go an play for his Dad then I wouldn't get in the way. I doubt that they would want to do that. In that case I'd leave him unprotected.

He's already on record as preferring to stay in Toronto over playing for his dad.

Hamilton_Red
11-18-2017, 02:29 AM
I'd protect in the draft

Bono
Zavaletta
Hagglund
Zavinga
Morrow
Osorio
Vasquez
Delgado
Giovinco
Edwards
Hasler

Unlikely they will take any Canadians (might even replace Edwards and Osorio). Bradley not likely to go. Doubt they would want Jozy at his his price... Best to protect the core of the team that is not DP. If they decide to take a big money player...they can be replaced pretty easily.

OgtheDim
11-18-2017, 07:41 AM
All new teams start a few weeks before the draft telling other teams in the league who they are likely to pick from the likely unprotected. Then teams horse trade to see what to give the expansion team.

In our case, I don't think any trading is going to happen. They have probably already told TFC who they want. They are taking Irwin. And he's not coming back this time.

The protected list for us is then just an exercise in not giving LAFC anybody more valuable.

Oldtimer
11-18-2017, 10:42 AM
All new teams start a few weeks before the draft telling other teams in the league who they are likely to pick from the likely unprotected. Then teams horse trade to see what to give the expansion team.

In our case, I don't think any trading is going to happen. They have probably already told TFC who they want. They are taking Irwin. And he's not coming back this time.

The protected list for us is then just an exercise in not giving LAFC anybody more valuable.

Agreed. Irwin will want to play, and he's a starter for most other teams. TFC needs "cap" (salary budget) space. It's best for everyone if Irwin moves on. Bono is now our number one. A lower priced backup is better for us in a salary cap league.

rydermike
11-18-2017, 10:43 AM
I'd protect in the draft

Bono
Zavaletta
Hagglund
Zavinga
Morrow
Osorio
Vasquez
Delgado
Giovinco
Edwards
Hasler

Unlikely they will take any Canadians (might even replace Edwards and Osorio). Bradley not likely to go. Doubt they would want Jozy at his his price... Best to protect the core of the team that is not DP. If they decide to take a big money player...they can be replaced pretty easily.

Jozy and Bradley must be protected as they have NTC. Bono and maybe Edwards are auto protected and do not count to the 11

Shway
12-10-2017, 09:53 AM
I feel as though Hasler will be protected as Betiashour is a free agent in the offseason (same with Moor) and their salary demands will probably have LAFC not take them with and expansion pick only to lose them immediately for nothing.

I think we'll lose one of them. And considering we have a ready replacement at RB (Hasler) I think Beita goes to whoever gives him the most money.

BenRhodes23
12-10-2017, 10:49 AM
I think Osorio should stay after last night/ his recent form. Either we protect him or we trade for him if he gets selected like we did for Irwin.

Carter
12-10-2017, 12:58 PM
I think Osorio should stay after last night/ his recent form. Either we protect him or we trade for him if he gets selected like we did for Irwin.
Toronto boy or not, what form he may have come to in the last game, Osorio has got to go he’s just not worth 200K and it’s his contract year. He played like a man possessed last night, all the boys did and I will be first to admit JOSO played with heart last night, but 1 game does not make a 200K Salary, might I remind you of the numerous absolute bonehead blunders over the last 2+ years?

Smokecell
12-10-2017, 06:20 PM
The official list is out

https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2017/12/10/mls-announces-available-players-selection-expansion-draft

woolly
12-10-2017, 06:40 PM
Unless LAFC have worked out some kind of deal, I would take a long hard look at Ricketts as an attacking option. The man has been clutch for us.

ensco
12-10-2017, 06:56 PM
Unless LAFC have worked out some kind of deal, I would take a long hard look at Ricketts as an attacking option. The man has been clutch for us.

I bet Edwards is gone. So much has happened, but people were talking about him as an allstar in the first half of the year (I thought Edwards was automatically protected, as a homegrown. Surprised to see him on the list.)

Edwards' and Ricketts' highest value is to a Canadian team. Vancouver or Montreal may try to trade with LAFC for one of them. (Vancouver just dealt for Kamara, so it won’t be them on Ricketts.)

Hamilton_Red
12-10-2017, 07:16 PM
Whitecaps won’t go for Edwards - too similar to Davies. He is probably a safe bet - doubt LA would go for Rickets either. WHitecaps look pretty un-ambitious Kei Kamera is a pretty high risk option IMO not clear whether he has peaked or just been shuffling around poor teams.

TheSloanRanger
12-10-2017, 08:25 PM
MLS Cup on the 9th.
Parade on the 11th.
New team on the 12th.

That sucks.

Ajax TFC
12-10-2017, 10:44 PM
MLS needs to do away with this annual charade. Just give expansion teams an extra 300k allocation and a couple extra international slots for the first couple years and they'll be just fine. Especially now that you can pick up domestics in free agency. Vast majority of players taken just end up as trading chips anyways or released before the second year.

FWIW, the only player I think there's a chance of us losing is Irwin. A solid experienced GK is really the only kind of higher salary player that an expansion side is going to want from the expansion draft. Other than that I think they take cheap domestic depth players or players that they already have buyers for, and save their cap space and international spots for roster building through the open market (free agency, trades, and signings)

ag futbol
12-11-2017, 07:57 AM
Whitecaps won’t go for Edwards - too similar to Davies. He is probably a safe bet - doubt LA would go for Rickets either. WHitecaps look pretty un-ambitious Kei Kamera is a pretty high risk option IMO not clear whether he has peaked or just been shuffling around poor teams.
Davies has until his 18th birthday, then he’s gone in a hurry.

woolly
12-11-2017, 09:01 AM
So if the 'Caps are unlikely to take either of them (I don't think Kamara and Ricketts would make a good tandem, but a lot of poached goals to be sure...) What anout the Limpact? Can they offer LAFC anything in trade?

portu
12-11-2017, 04:03 PM
I am so confident we are going to lose Raheem to LAFC, he's young, produced last year and on a minimum contract - totally worth an international slot.

Baumer22
12-11-2017, 05:13 PM
Would like to hear opinions on what people think the odds of players like Beitashour, Ricketts, Cooper, and Moor coming back next year? I think they have earned to stay here.

BenRhodes23
12-11-2017, 05:17 PM
I think Toronto will try to bring back any player that gets selected. LAFC won't select Moor, Beitashour or Hernandez as their contracts will end and they can re-sign here if they so wish.

flatpicker
12-11-2017, 05:51 PM
Frei was definitely an unprotected player on Saturday!

Wait... what are we talking about? lol

Kaz
12-11-2017, 06:28 PM
Would like to hear opinions on what people think the odds of players like Beitashour, Ricketts, Cooper, and Moor coming back next year? I think they have earned to stay here.

Beitashour and Moor are both Free Agents and out of contract.. LA picking a Free Agent would be silly as they would still have to negotiate a salary with them. So they are basically protected.

Ricketts is a Canadian.. and I believe will still count as an international in LA. As such basically protected you don't waste an international slot on a 3rd striker (Bradley I'm sure is bring in bigger guns upfront) And even if he doesn't count as an international... Irwin is open.

Cooper is not really needed and with TAM increases can be replaced without issue. He can hold up play but he takes way too many touches and often looses the ball because of it. Nice player to sub in at the end of a game but... Same thing though selecting a international that may not fit what Bradley is trying to do may not be a great idea. So he is likely safe as well.

Irwin is the most likely person that was left unprotected that would be chosen I think. He is an excellent Keeper that lost his starting place to Bono only because of Bono learning fast and earning the position.

I'd like to keep everyone to be honest. Irwin is a good piece to keep Bono sharp as he develops.

Yohan
12-11-2017, 06:44 PM
LAFC takes Jeff Attinella as GK from Timbers. And picks one of TFC midfielders as sub/depth.

Int spots are easily tradeable in MLS

General Woolfe
12-11-2017, 07:15 PM

Insaniy! Bradley is the single most reason we have just enjoyed the season we have. We can get by without Jozy for a game or two, the same can be said of Seba. However when we play without Bradley were lost. If you let Bradley go then you might as well rip up our entire squad and start from scratch again

Shway
12-11-2017, 07:19 PM
@jeffrueter
#MLS sources telling me to expect #LAFC to trade expansion picks rather than draft players for their inaugural roster. I'm preparing for a lot of shop-talk tomorrow.
3:28 PM · Dec 11, 2017

BenRhodes23
12-11-2017, 07:52 PM
Edwards named to list of 9 intriguing players available in draft:

https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2017/12/11/armchair-analyst-9-most-interesting-names-expansion-draft?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=referral&utm_content=news&utm_campaign=unpaid

General Woolfe
12-11-2017, 07:54 PM
I think I would have protected Hassler ahead of Osorio but otherwise pretty much as expected

ManUtd4ever
12-11-2017, 08:14 PM
Our unprotected list has several players that could be in the starting eleven of most MLS clubs.

Gazza_55
12-11-2017, 10:45 PM
Insaniy! Bradley is the single most reason we have just enjoyed the season we have. We can get by without Jozy for a game or two, the same can be said of Seba. However when we play without Bradley were lost. If you let Bradley go then you might as well rip up our entire squad and start from scratch again

This.

Hamilton_Red
12-12-2017, 01:18 AM

It was more about coming to an arrangement to save another player. If Bradley wanted to got to play for his Dad...you wouldn't win getting in the way. You would however want to make sure that you got something valuable in return. All a moot point though...looking at what this season meant to those guys tells me that they are here for the long term. We will have a very stable core for next season. Making it better with a couple of additions and watching the young lads develop that much more...someone is going to have to come to Toronto and beat us to win the MLS Cup.

James17930
12-12-2017, 01:38 AM
I don't really think Bradley cares about playing for his Dad. And I would also wager he doesn't want to live in L.A.

You guys maybe forget that for our players who have kids, Toronto is an excellent choice for them. Good quality schools and teaching (for the most part), safe (compared to most American cities), great real estate value, plus, of course, the team and club and the fans etc.

It's the same reason Seba was never going to China. Family comes first.

I don't think any of them would want to give that up now.

matteo30
12-12-2017, 02:05 AM
@jeffrueter
#MLS sources telling me to expect #LAFC to trade expansion picks rather than draft players for their inaugural roster. I'm preparing for a lot of shop-talk tomorrow.
3:28 PM · Dec 11, 2017

Good, I don't want them stealing anyone from our main roster just take the cash... Though seriously I am leaning Edwards or Hasler.... But hearing that this possibility exists makes me happy...

ensco
12-12-2017, 07:20 AM
Seattle exposed Alonso and he is pissed about it. So are Sounders fans.

https://twitter.com/ozziealonso/status/940043490326601739

If I am Bob Bradley, I wouldn’t ransom him, I just take Alonso first overall and make him my captain, without even blinking.

Blindside16
12-12-2017, 08:08 AM
I can see something similar to what happened last year with Irwin happening with Edwards. They pick Edwards, we toss them an expansion pick and some money to get him back.

ManUtd4ever
12-12-2017, 09:16 AM
I really don't want to lose Edwards or Hasler. We must have a boatload of allocation after the season we just had, so hopefully Bez can work something out that makes sense.

Oldtimer
12-12-2017, 12:21 PM
I think that they will take Irwin. We'll see.

tfcfans
12-12-2017, 12:38 PM
My guess is Edwards ---cheap contract with lots of potential - that's the kind of player who is valuable to an expansion franchise; they will spend lots on DPs and other such "stars" of their own choosing I would imagine in order to make a splash in the marketplace (they already have started this), but it's the "cheaper" homegrown players (which is why the academy and proper drafting is so important) that really are key in a league with "somewhat" limited payroll constraints (unless you have "Super Bez" running your cap figures).......whether we can trade to get him back (like last year with Irwin) is another thing entirely......

Section_105
12-12-2017, 12:41 PM
not sure what Bez has cooked up for this one but without any backchannel stuff they should take either Irwin or Ricketts. Both starters on 90% of teams out there and great pieces to start a club with. Hopefully the international slot will make Ricketts look less attractive. I want him to play but do not want to lose him from our bench with so many extra games coming this year.

Cas87
12-12-2017, 12:47 PM
I see LAFC sorting out and picking their GKs
(Irwin from us and Attinella from Portland).
One experienced GK to start with and one promising back-up that has shown he can play if called upon.

The rest of the picks I see LAFC picking the most high profile left on the board (Yasad from ATL, Alonso from SEA, and Shelton from NYCFC) and either keeping them or shipping them back to their respective teams for a bunch of TAM, GAM and even international spots.

LAFC will probably not pick any of the Free Agents on the board because why would they waste a potential resource for them when the player can sign with any team 30-45 minutes after LAFC picks them (Free Agency opens at 3pm today after the draft -- Fully expecting TFC will announce that Drew Moor has resigned at 3:01pm lol)

BenRhodes23
12-12-2017, 01:17 PM
I don't really think Bradley cares about playing for his Dad. And I would also wager he doesn't want to live in L.A.

You guys maybe forget that for our players who have kids, Toronto is an excellent choice for them. Good quality schools and teaching (for the most part), safe (compared to most American cities), great real estate value, plus, of course, the team and club and the fans etc.

It's the same reason Seba was never going to China. Family comes first.

I don't think any of them would want to give that up now.

And the reason Vazquez left Mexico. He didn't feel happy for his family

Captain
12-12-2017, 01:53 PM
I doubt that Hasler will get taken. I heard that his contract was back ended and he was due for a large raise next year. If this is true he's not likely to get taken.

I think the real treats to lose are Edwards, Irwin or Cooper.

Red CB Toronto
12-12-2017, 02:05 PM
Here is the live feed for those who are interested.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YAfhX9XkoOk

GerMc
12-12-2017, 02:13 PM
A goalie with the first pick, so maybe Irwin isn't on the list--does that mean Raheem?

Tyler Miller from Seattle.

ensco
12-12-2017, 02:13 PM
Seattle must have worked out a deal on Alonso.

So Irwin won't be going.

GerMc
12-12-2017, 02:17 PM
3 picks and so far no Edwards! Or any TFC player...

JoeM
12-12-2017, 02:18 PM
I mean, they have to take someone from us. We've left a lot of talent out there for them that would help them immediately. I'll be very surprised if they don't grab one from us. 2 picks to go...

Red CB Toronto
12-12-2017, 02:20 PM
More one pick to go ...

ensco
12-12-2017, 02:21 PM
Raitala? Seriously? A 29 year old international?

Red CB Toronto
Goodbye Raheem

Donald Duck
Edward is gone

GerMc
12-12-2017, 02:22 PM
Ouch! They took Edwards :-(

RealG-TFC
12-12-2017, 02:22 PM
well shit

Shway
12-12-2017, 02:23 PM
Fuck off LA.... Let's hope Tim b buys him back

GerMc
Ouch! They took Edwards :-(

Maybe they will trade back for him...

Areathrasher
Fuck

wopchop
Edwards selected;
https://twitter.com/LAFC/status/940662604330016768?s=17

Four international selected?

Red CB Toronto
12-12-2017, 02:24 PM
Championship teams are wide open targets in drafts like this, not surprised the Reds lost a player at all.

Detroit_TFC
12-12-2017, 02:25 PM
Bez will flip that around. LAFC not keeping anyone, IMO.

Mr. Bigby
They haven't played a game yet and I already hate those L.A. bastards! Give Edwards back!!!

Still Kicking
Is this goodbye to Raheem or is it motivation for a tradeback?

Ajax TFC
12-12-2017, 02:27 PM
Lol at the talk of how each player fits into their team and the talking heads acting as if that means anything. As if LA is going to say "we don't actually want the guy, he's just a good trading chip". And yeah, they aren't keeping all these international players. Doesn't leave much flexibility for their own signings

Cas87
12-12-2017, 02:29 PM
Even though the selections are done, the real show is at 3pm.

Free Agency begins, and the blackout period for trades, etc. is lifted.

ensco
12-12-2017, 02:31 PM
I said it earlier. I have a strong funny feeling Raheem winds up in Montreal or Vancouver.

This is a different player than Irwin, who we thought we needed to compete in 2017.

We are not building, we are reloading, and a lot of guys need raises. I don't see it.

This will cost someone a lot.

BenRhodes23
12-12-2017, 02:34 PM
Edwards will likely be traded back. Not sure who we'd give up though... Maybe just allocation money

Ajax TFC
12-12-2017, 02:43 PM
Edwards will likely be traded back. Not sure who we'd give up though... Maybe just allocation money
My guess is Irwin plus allocation money. Selecting Miller doesn't take them out of the GK market. Expansion clubs need an experienced GK, and that's still Irwin.

Areathrasher
12-12-2017, 02:46 PM
Larson, Molinaro saying no deal to bring him back as of yet

matteo30
12-12-2017, 03:00 PM
F**k LA FC, give them allocation money or Irwin, don't take one of our good young players away just days after we win the championship... I have faith in Bez were not losing Edwards...

wopchop
12-12-2017, 03:36 PM
Any idea why Raheem isn't listed as an international on LAFC roster?
https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2017/12/12/2017-mls-expansion-draft

He didn't sign with TFC Academy until he was 20, so we know he didn' qualify under the Homegrown International rule that way. Can certain youth clubs also be recognized as Homegrown as well, maybe??

notthesun
12-12-2017, 03:37 PM
I'll be sad as hell if we lose Edwards and it looks like it's going to end up that way. Damn it. :(

leafsman
12-12-2017, 03:48 PM
They should have created a rule that you either keep the player or trade him back to his old team.

PizzaEatingYeti
12-12-2017, 03:54 PM
Shit, I was sure they take Raheem!
They should have been idiots not to...

This is a big loss for TFC.

reggie
12-12-2017, 03:55 PM
ives is saying maybe to mtl

PizzaEatingYeti
12-12-2017, 03:55 PM
Bez needs to work out something, Raheen is by far our best young homegrown player.

Joe Kool
12-12-2017, 04:04 PM
Raheem the Dream....I doubt he is particularly happy about this unless it means more playing time then maybe he will be ok with it in the end. Until the league stops adding teams we have to continue to deal with crap like this. We get a player and groom him and another club is allowed to come in and say "thank you very much" one day just like that.

Also, there goes our depth at LB. I guess Morgan can fill in again if he can ever make the 18.

PizzaEatingYeti
12-12-2017, 04:07 PM
In almost all of our not so great games this season, when he was not playing, I was fuming angry why Vanney is not playind him at least as a sub, if not as a starter.

flamehawk
12-12-2017, 04:07 PM
Oh god, looks like things are potentially getting worst:

https://twitter.com/SoccerByIves/status/940683972811608064?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw&ref_url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.thevoyageurs.org%2Findex. php%3Fapp%3Dcore%26module%3Dsystem%26controller%3D embed%26url%3Dhttps%3A%2F%2Ftwitter.com%2FSoccerBy Ives%2Fstatus%2F940683972811608064

Ives Galarcep‏Verified account @SoccerByIves (https://twitter.com/SoccerByIves)FollowingFollowing
@SoccerByIves

More

Sounds like #LAFC (https://twitter.com/hashtag/LAFC?src=hash) may wheel and deal after all. I'm told Raheem Edwards is on the market, with one potential destination being Montreal in a package deal for Laurent Ciman. A Ciman-Zimmerman CB tandem would be pretty strong. #MLS (https://twitter.com/hashtag/MLS?src=hash) #IMFC (https://twitter.com/hashtag/IMFC?src=hash)

PizzaEatingYeti
12-12-2017, 04:08 PM
Raheem the Dream....I doubt he is particularly happy about this unless it means more playing time then maybe he will be ok with it in the end. Until the league stops adding teams we have to continue to deal with crap like this. We get a player and groom him and another club is allowed to come in and say "thank you very much" one day just like that.

Also, there goes our depth at LB. I guess Morgan can fill in again if he can ever make the 18.

Fuck this shiiiittttt !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ensco
12-12-2017, 04:11 PM
Can someone explain to me why Edwards isn't a homegrown player?

https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2017/03/31/toronto-fc-homegrown-raheem-edwards-impresses-vanney-first-start

Ajax TFC
12-12-2017, 04:15 PM
Can someone explain to me why Edwards isn't a homegrown player?

https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2017/03/31/toronto-fc-homegrown-raheem-edwards-impresses-vanney-first-start
I think he started with TFC II (technically professional), not the academy, and then signed with TFC. So I guess if he didn't spend time in the academy before that, he wouldn't be HG.

trane
12-12-2017, 04:36 PM
Fuck. Edwards. Fuck. Fuck.

( my deep well thought out opinion on the matter)

Smokecell
12-12-2017, 04:42 PM
Edwards and Raitla to Limp act for Ciman looking done

Couchy81
12-12-2017, 04:52 PM
Edwards and Raitla to Limp act for Ciman looking done

Damn. LAFC makin moves.

Detroit_TFC
12-12-2017, 04:55 PM
Oh my.

portu
12-12-2017, 04:58 PM
fuck

reggie
12-12-2017, 04:59 PM
mtl is so greasy.i hate that club so much

TFC07
12-12-2017, 05:00 PM
WTF is going on? We just lost up and coming player for nothing.

12-12-2017, 05:01 PM
We were going to lose a good young player regardless because we have a lot of them and we can't protect everyone. Especially sucks that he's going to Montreal though.

Oldtimer
12-12-2017, 05:04 PM
We were going to lose a good young player regardless because we have a lot of them and we can't protect everyone. Especially sucks that he's going to Montreal though.

Next step would be for him to score the game winning goal against us the next time Montréal plays us.

GerMc
12-12-2017, 05:18 PM
Surely, that is not a great trade. Giving up two players, including one real up and comer, for an aging central defender...

12-12-2017, 05:24 PM
Surely, that is not a great trade. Giving up two players, including one real up and comer, for an aging central defender...

Looks like LA wants to pull an ATL and compete right away.

Initial B
12-12-2017, 05:27 PM
Thus Montreal sez, "FU 2 Jozy!"

flamehawk
12-12-2017, 05:28 PM
Obviously as a TFC fan I am upset to lose Edwards to a rival... but I am more upset for Ciman because of this. LA will not be able to provide the environment and treatment he needs for his daughter. So much of treatment for developmental issues are outside of the hospital, and in the community, and language will play a big role. This is something potentially to retire over, it's family after all.

The one-sided nature of the North American trade system really needs to be reassessed.... workers should not be treated like chattel. And Impact management should also be accountable for this ... the game shouldn't always be the most important consideration.

trane
12-12-2017, 05:32 PM
^ I forgot about that issue.

reggie
12-12-2017, 05:33 PM
im upset..but im jus going to watch the reply of the cup final to get over it.:scarf:

portu
12-12-2017, 05:34 PM
mtl is so greasy.i hate that club so much
greasy af i hope edwards tries to make a move to europe this off season

portu
12-12-2017, 05:35 PM
Obviously as a TFC fan I am upset to lose Edwards to a rival... but I am more upset for Ciman because of this. LA will not be able to provide the environment and treatment he needs for his daughter. So much of treatment for developmental issues are outside of the hospital, and in the community, and language will play a big role. This is something potentially to retire over, it's family after all.

The one-sided nature of the North American trade system really needs to be reassessed.... workers should not be treated like chattel. And Impact management should also be accountable for this ... the game shouldn't always be the most important consideration.
This is something that should be considered in the CBA. surprised it wasnt and makes montreal even greasier

reggie
12-12-2017, 05:36 PM

surely mtl cant be that greasy

flamehawk
12-12-2017, 05:39 PM
surely mtl cant be that greasy

And surprise surprise, Ciman's agent just stated that Ciman was not spoke to once before this trade was announced.

reggie
12-12-2017, 05:42 PM
wow that is brutal...plz edwards dont go to camp,go to europe.

flamehawk
12-12-2017, 05:45 PM
Ya, fuck this trade... ideal situation now is that Ciman finds a gig elsewhere that allows him to stay in Montreal, even if it means retiring early from his playing career .. Edwards goes to Europe and Raitla also returns... fuck both LA and Montreal

SirBobSaget
12-12-2017, 05:54 PM
And surprise surprise, Ciman's agent just stated that Ciman was not spoke to once before this trade was announced.

Ciman's main reason for joining the Impact was so his daughter can attend a school that specialises in the needs of autistic children.
https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2015/06/24/family-first-montreal-impacts-laurent-ciman-uproots-life-give-autistic-daughter-care

The impact promised to pay the tuition when he signed, later an article came out claiming they reneged on that promise.
http://montrealgazette.com/sports/soccer/mls/montreal-impact/impact-soccer-star-ciman-and-his-wife-speak-out-against-club

Now they ship him off at 32 yo to LA, when he has a young family and a child with special needs who is now probably getting comfortable with her environment???

I'm beginning to think they may be a slimy organization :rolleyes:

nonc
12-12-2017, 05:57 PM
LAFC treading on us since name announced, now this. We know who the real FC is in MLS.

nonc
12-12-2017, 06:00 PM
My personal updated hate list: Impact, Sounders, Atlanta, LAFC, NYCFC.

portu
12-12-2017, 06:00 PM
Oof this is looking like the slimiest trade since the Rochat deal

zorsofstesab
12-12-2017, 06:48 PM
How about CIMAN as a possible replacement for MOOR? It could happen....

Oldtimer
12-12-2017, 06:51 PM
My take: it's good for the CMNT that Edwards have more playing time. It also won't affect TFC all that much, Tbh.

As someone who raised an autistic child, I find Montréal's behavior reprehensible. Yet I think we can't throw too many stones because TFC under Mo was just as slimy, and had one of the worst reputations in the league.

James17930
12-12-2017, 07:45 PM
How is Edwards going to be able to put on a Montreal jersey and not throw up?

I have nothing against the city, obviously, but given how huge the TFC vs. Impact rivalry has become, and he's born and bred here ... it would feel almost like treason, no?

Ultra & Proud
12-12-2017, 08:20 PM
TFC under Mo was just as slimy, and had one of the worst reputations in the league.

But we fired him. There's no firing Crazy Joey. It all starts with him.

charlieocc
12-12-2017, 08:55 PM
Fuck Montreal. Ciman is absolutely PISSED on Twitter, he's gone full Ozzie Alonso

General Woolfe
12-12-2017, 09:04 PM
Sad to lose Edwards especially to Montreal. What a day for the lad. You go from standing at Jozy’s side laughing at the Limpact and hours later you’re one of their players. I feel for Raheem, I really do

General Woolfe
12-12-2017, 09:09 PM
greasy af i hope edwards tries to make a move to europe this off season
I don’t think Raheem is ready for Europe if we’re being honest. Best case scenario is he demands a trade from the poutine eaters and downs tools if one isn’t forthcoming

Asfor Ciman I’m sure the medical facilities in LA are second to none, especially not Quebec

General Woolfe
12-12-2017, 09:16 PM
Psersonslly I’d have left Osorio exposed ahead of Edwards. Raheem has the potential to grow whereas with Osorio WYSIWYG, one good game in three and questionable and keeping possession

Richard
12-12-2017, 09:18 PM
Fuck that.

I would submit my retirement papers to the league office and go to Europe.

How the fuck can you go from to TFC to Montreal.

I know we don't have the Celtic VS Rangers rivalry but this is fucked up.

Yohan
12-12-2017, 09:25 PM
Fuck that.

I would submit my retirement papers to the league office and go to Europe.

How the fuck can you go from to TFC to Montreal.

I know we don't have the Celtic VS Rangers rivalry but this is fucked up.
ask Issey Nakajima-Ferran. Or Kyle Bekker (via Dallas)

ensco
12-12-2017, 09:27 PM
^Daniel Lovitz. Dominic Oduro.

Cas87
12-12-2017, 09:35 PM

Oduro seemed pretty happy in the 2016 East final with Montreal

Shway
12-12-2017, 09:40 PM
Psersonslly I’d have left Osorio exposed ahead of Edwards. Raheem has the potential to grow whereas with Osorio WYSIWYG, one good game in three and questionable and keeping possession

I would've left Delgado. Easy replaceable.

All in all you can't replace hometown players. You can only do it with HG players who are ready to step up.

... Nvm check edit.

reggie
12-12-2017, 10:04 PM
players come and go.but that is really greasy from a slimey team,to steal one of our own like that,develope your own:facepalm:

reggie
12-12-2017, 10:07 PM
I would've left Delgado. Easy replaceable.

All in all you can't replace hometown players. You can only do it with HG players who are ready to step up.

... Nvm check edit.
i agree...we have a few mids on the farm but no left foot wingers.

Defoe
12-12-2017, 10:48 PM
Raheem has more potential then Osorio, and we could use some cheap wingers. Makes sense Bez, good job!

ensco
12-12-2017, 11:19 PM
Our management team built the best team in league history, but two days later it’s “what a bunch of idiots”.

It's actually hilarious.

gracos
12-13-2017, 12:20 AM
I know that we will miss Edwards however it shows management knows what they are doing if we recently won the cup lets see some moves in the future and continue to support our club

flamehawk
12-13-2017, 12:32 AM
I don’t think Raheem is ready for Europe if we’re being honest. Best case scenario is he demands a trade from the poutine eaters and downs tools if one isn’t forthcoming

Asfor Ciman I’m sure the medical facilities in LA are second to none, especially not Quebec

For developmental issues .. it's not so much medical facilities that are important. It's specialized therapy, community programs etc. And for this type of thing, language is crucial. I am saying this as a mental health social worker, who has also provided support to a number of folks with dual diagnosis (mental health + developmental issues). Services in this area are atrocious in much of Canada ... I have since left the field to pursue a PhD but my blood still boils at thought of my past clients with agencies passing the buck and the lack of resources. If what Ciman has in Montreal is something that works for his daughter and family, I'd be fighting tooth and nail to stay in the city and even consider hanging up my boots. It'll be an immense struggle getting what he needs in LA. Fuck MLS and Montreal for putting him in this position.

Gringo Starr
12-13-2017, 12:33 AM
I like Edwards a ton but when comparing him to Hags Zavs and Oso we have to keep in mind that we are competing for hardware now and those three have bigger roles than Edwards currently does. Edwards has a lot of upside but he's still raw, the other three are further along, have bigger roles and are more likely to feature in our game day lineup especially in a big game situation.

i do hope Bradley gives his dad hell over xmas dinner for this

James17930
12-13-2017, 12:51 AM
I know that we will miss Edwards however it shows management knows what they are doing if we recently won the cup lets see some moves in the future and continue to support our club

True – we may have a big signing coming up.

Auzzy
12-13-2017, 12:53 AM
Our management team built the best team in league history, but two days later it’s “what a bunch of idiots”.

It's actually hilarious.

I don't see that here. Some people pissed about the whole expansion draft idea. Some people pissed about LAFC. Some people don't like the Impact in general, and their treatment of Ciman in particular. Some people sad to lose Edwards. Most realize that we were bound to lose somebody of value. Only about 4 or 5 of approx. 180 posts in this & the "thank you" thread suggest they should have exposed somebody else other than Edwards. Nobody said "idiots" or anything close to that.

VoxPopuliCosmicum
12-13-2017, 01:17 AM
Or Greg Sutton. Or captain caveman... I mean Adam Braz.

Blindside16
12-13-2017, 03:25 AM
I am sad to see Raheem go but i trust that Bez and Vanney probably saw this coming. I have a feeling they have their eyes on someone and with the TAM going up they may be looking to make a splash in January.

PizzaEatingYeti
12-13-2017, 04:37 AM
Fuck Montreal. Ciman is absolutely PISSED on Twitter, he's gone full Ozzie Alonso

WOW, because of this post I googled Ciman's Twitter, and though I understand just a little bit of french, I could understand that all the Montreal fans who commented there, are outraged because of this deal!

ensco
12-13-2017, 06:56 AM
I don't see that here. Some people pissed about the whole expansion draft idea. Some people pissed about LAFC. Some people don't like the Impact in general, and their treatment of Ciman in particular. Some people sad to lose Edwards. Most realize that we were bound to lose somebody of value. Only about 4 or 5 of approx. 180 posts in this & the "thank you" thread suggest they should have exposed somebody else other than Edwards. Nobody said "idiots" or anything close to that.

Fair enough. I saw a bunch of posts (mostly in the other thread, as I look back), and they bugged me.

I stand corrected.

OfficeGuy
12-13-2017, 10:07 AM

Gutted for Ciman over this

OfficeGuy
12-13-2017, 10:09 AM
I like Edwards a ton but when comparing him to Hags Zavs and Oso we have to keep in mind that we are competing for hardware now and those three have bigger roles than Edwards currently does. Edwards has a lot of upside but he's still raw, the other three are further along, have bigger roles and are more likely to feature in our game day lineup especially in a big game situation.

i do hope Bradley gives his dad hell over xmas dinner for this

Christmas Dinner banter:

Hey Dad - pass the gravy....and how about returning Edwards too!

Ajax TFC
12-13-2017, 11:56 AM
Raheem has more potential then Osorio, and we could use some cheap wingers. Makes sense Bez, good job!

Check the post directly above the one you quoted. Maybe my meter is off, but I detect a heavy dose of sarcasm in it. Maybe it's just one guy, but it would seem that there are still those that question whether Bez knows what he's doing despite having put together the best team in MLS history.

shwade
12-13-2017, 11:58 AM
For developmental issues .. it's not so much medical facilities that are important. It's specialized therapy, community programs etc. And for this type of thing, language is crucial. I am saying this as a mental health social worker, who has also provided support to a number of folks with dual diagnosis (mental health + developmental issues). Services in this area are atrocious in much of Canada ... I have since left the field to pursue a PhD but my blood still boils at thought of my past clients with agencies passing the buck and the lack of resources. If what Ciman has in Montreal is something that works for his daughter and family, I'd be fighting tooth and nail to stay in the city and even consider hanging up my boots. It'll be an immense struggle getting what he needs in LA. Fuck MLS and Montreal for putting him in this position.

Should've had a no trade clause...I thought DPs automatically do.

Raheem had tremendous upside...I hope they're doing everything to get him back.. Fuck the Impact they're probably asking for a lot to trade him back to us.

Ajax TFC
12-13-2017, 12:06 PM
Should've had a no trade clause...I thought DPs automatically do.

Raheem had tremendous upside...I hope they're doing everything to get him back.. Fuck the Impact they're probably asking for a lot to trade him back to us.
A lot of players from outside NA don't realize that trading players is a thing when they come here, so they don't realize they need that. And if their agent isn't familiar with the league either and doesn't do their job properly and do the homework, the player signs a contract thinking they're signing for X team and doesn't realize they're actually signing for the league, who can send them wherever the hell they please. This isn't the first time an international player has been blindsided by the fact that they can be traded.

shwade
12-13-2017, 12:15 PM
A lot of players from outside NA don't realize that trading players is a thing when they come here, so they don't realize they need that. And if their agent isn't familiar with the league either and doesn't do their job properly and do the homework, the player signs a contract thinking they're signing for X team and doesn't realize they're actually signing for the league, who can send them wherever the hell they please. This isn't the first time an international player has been blindsided by the fact that they can be traded.

That's some next level laziness by the agents...bare minimum research on North American leagues would make you aware of the trade business.

Section_105
12-13-2017, 12:20 PM
I hope Ciman scores against them in Montreal and the fans ring the bell for him (on the off chance they are scheduled to play in montreal and not the reverse)

dirty play from the disgusting limp-act FO.

molenshtain
12-13-2017, 01:03 PM
I don't know why anyone expected anything less from Saputo. I for one am none too surprised that the mobbed up team decided to cut their captain off at the knees.

I feel horrible for Ciman and his family. He did take a fairly large pay cut to come to Montreal to care for his daughter. Frankly disgusting what they've done to him.

Gringo Starr
12-13-2017, 03:15 PM
The one funny thing to all this is Bob Bradley traded for a bald dude nicknamed Le General