PDA

View Full Version : #SaveTheCrew

Capt.Cro
11-01-2017, 03:27 PM
Hello fellow Red Patch Boys! Missing the window to renew my membership this season, I've taken on a bystander roll in the forum but have been inspired to jump back in due to recent events.

I feel a duty to reach out to our top supporters group to lend a helping hand to our fellow Trillium Cup adversaries who've fallen on some hard times. As much as I love to hate them, I'd equally hate to lose their rivalry. Their supporters started the #SaveTheCrew movement to try to stop relocation to Austin as most of you may have heard and are gaining international notoriety with support coming from the stands as far as Europe.

I've gotten a hold of them wanting to help how I could, when I had the image of our south stand being peppered with yellow scarves. As far as I remember, we've had a local supplier for scarf manufacturing, however they already have some on order. With that being said, even if we face them in the next round, would we be willing to wear some #SaveTheCrew scarfs in the stands to show solidarity? Or would we rather not get caught up in it and focus the Reds and lifting the cup come December 9th?

Any other ideas would also be welcomed I'm sure.

BenRhodes23
11-01-2017, 03:49 PM
Red scarves with Save The Crew maybe...

CanadaLFC
11-01-2017, 04:12 PM
Hello fellow Red Patch Boys! Missing the window to renew my membership this season, I've taken on a bystander roll in the forum but have been inspired to jump back in due to recent events.

I feel a duty to reach out to our top supporters group to lend a helping hand to our fellow Trillium Cup adversaries who've fallen on some hard times. As much as I love to hate them, I'd equally hate to lose their rivalry. Their supporters started the #SaveTheCrew movement to try to stop relocation to Austin as most of you may have heard and are gaining international notoriety with support coming from the stands as far as Europe.

I've gotten a hold of them wanting to help how I could, when I had the image of our south stand being peppered with yellow scarves. As far as I remember, we've had a local supplier for scarf manufacturing, however they already have some on order. With that being said, even if we face them in the next round, would we be willing to wear some #SaveTheCrew scarfs in the stands to show solidarity? Or would we rather not get caught up in it and focus the Reds and lifting the cup come December 9th?

I believe their campaign is sending banner to supporters groups in other cities. If you scroll down, you will see a place for free banner. https://savethecrew.com/

General Woolfe
11-01-2017, 05:04 PM
Double Post

General Woolfe
11-01-2017, 05:08 PM
I'd like to see pressure put on Garber and the MLS leadership from all supporters groups to write into the MLS constitution (if such a thing exists?) making it illegal for any ownership group to move cities. By all means allow change of ownership, but it should not be possible for an owner to relocate

Having said that, it was a poor showing at Mafre last night that they didnt sell out the stadium given the importance of the game and under the present circumstances.

German21
11-01-2017, 05:16 PM
Red scarves with Save The Crew maybe...

these kind of messages are better suited for two sticks and small banners. not worth something more permanent.

German21
11-01-2017, 05:20 PM

banners and two sticks would really be the best. In my opinion, anything more than that is a waste of time and effort, which could be better spent on the reds. not to mention the logistics of organizing that many scarves and handing them out and having everybody willingly take part, getting people to hold up cards with instructions on them is hard enough sometimes.

make a small two stick to hold up during the game.

Capt.Cro
11-01-2017, 05:22 PM
Ouch not selling out doesn't help.

Capt.Cro
11-01-2017, 05:31 PM
Also I'm not saying everyone needs to participate, I meant it more as an individual choice. Especially if we face them next round, not so logical to wear an opponents colors on home field.

StokeciTFC
11-01-2017, 06:48 PM
I’d be happy to wave a scarf half and half of their colours and ours if it would contribute towards their survival in Columbus - one of the more convenient away days.

i know many are sceptical towards the authenticity of our rivalry but reading this forum and feeling the atmosphere in the stands when we play them, there is a sure fire rivalry to my mind. There are people passionate enough about it to relish their demise and those aching to keep the Trillium Cup alive.

personally I think there it is something of a ‘velveteen rabbit’ rivalry that began as a manufactured thing but has grown into a real life love to hate affair and there is plenty evidence on these boards to back this up.

long may they survive.

StokeciTFC
11-01-2017, 06:49 PM
I’d be happy to wave a scarf half and half of their colours and ours if it would contribute towards their survival in Columbus - one of the more convenient away days if nothing else.

I know many are sceptical towards the authenticity of our rivalry but reading this forum and feeling the atmosphere in the stands when we play them, there is a sure fire animosity of some degree to my mind. There are people passionate enough about it to relish their potential demise and those aching to keep the Trillium Cup alive.

Personally, I think there it is something of a ‘velveteen rabbit’ rivalry that began as a manufactured thing but has grown into a real life love-to-hate affair and there is plenty evidence on these boards to back this up.

Long may they run.

Initial B
11-02-2017, 07:57 AM
You all understand that the Crew Front Office did ZERO advertising about the game, right? And that they scheduled it for Hallowe'en instead of Sunday or Monday like the rest of the teams? It's in their best interests to make sure that as few spectators attend their games to bolster their justifications for leaving.

For comparison, does anybody know how much advertising TFC does before a playoff game?

Red4ever
11-02-2017, 08:30 AM
You all understand that the Crew Front Office did ZERO advertising about the game, right? And that they scheduled it for Hallowe'en instead of Sunday or Monday like the rest of the teams? It's in their best interests to make sure that as few spectators attend their games to bolster their justifications for leaving.

For comparison, does anybody know how much advertising TFC does before a playoff game?

Facebook, twitter, youtube (all promoted, targeted and paid) and that's for a game that's sold out in 15. Not to mention the TV deal with TSN and radio that pumps the tires.

Bluenose13
11-02-2017, 09:10 AM

For comparison, does anybody know how much advertising TFC does before a playoff game?They did look to have much better numbers than, NYRB, Houston & Chicago.

paul-collins
11-02-2017, 09:40 AM
Facebook, twitter, youtube (all promoted, targeted and paid) and that's for a game that's sold out in 15. Not to mention the TV deal with TSN and radio that pumps the tires.
At this point I believe the TFC marketing is for the TV audience, converting the failed ticket buyers into viewing parties...

MartinUtd
11-02-2017, 09:41 AM
No thanks. While I somewhat sympathize, it's not enough. This couldn't happen to a more deserving group of racist, aggressive, green street wannabe's.

If you want to help, buy them some tiki torches.

Yohan
11-02-2017, 09:45 AM
No thanks. While I somewhat sympathize, it's not enough. This couldn't happen to a more deserving group of racist, aggressive, green street wannabe's.

If you want to help, buy them some tiki torches.
For the sins of the few, punish the entire group?

Auzzy
11-02-2017, 09:58 AM
Having said that, it was a poor showing at Mafre last night that they didnt sell out the stadium given the importance of the game and under the present circumstances.

Ouch not selling out doesn't help.

They did look to have much better numbers than, NYRB, Houston & Chicago.

I agree with all the above. Minimal advertising by the club, while only having a few days to sell tickets after the knock-out round, for a mid-week game. Fans were trying to drum up interest on their own via social media & other avenues. Is there any way Garber helped out Precourt with the Halloween date? Even if it wasn't intentional, that's another reason you could end up with low attendance in many MLS cities. Still they did better than some other teams, as Bluenose mentioned.

And one more thing: I've heard they didn't open up all gates for this match. Also no wands for security. Just searches and pat-downs. Despite relatively low numbers, people were waiting for a long time. Helps to make the stadium look empty for parts of the game, and may have led to some people giving up.

Detroit_TFC
11-02-2017, 10:39 AM
While on the face of this it is about the team in Columbus, in the bigger picture a lot of it is about how the league and individual MLS bigwigs do business. That's the angle I can appreciate this kind of pressure campaign.

MartinUtd
11-03-2017, 02:42 PM
Were there any pretenses about what the franchise model in MLS was? Look at Chivas, a weird experiment that was left the wither and eventually shut down. Or San Jose moving to Houston. Or muscling out small successful clubs in the lower tier. Or the general concept of single entity and how the players have no power whatsoever?

This is going to sound cynical but moving the Crew in the manner they are is just par for the course in North America.

Areathrasher
11-03-2017, 02:53 PM
You're absolutely right. But when MLS says its done with relocation's, markets and refers to the franchises as clubs...Club Country Community me bollocks

And that's without touching on Precourts self sabotage.