Second Legs

Nov 2

Vancouver @ Seattle 10:30pm

Nov 5

Columbus @ NYCFC - TBD

Houston @ Portland - TBD

ensco
10-29-2017, 08:48 PM
Seattle, since the Dallas series last year, has now played 3.5 of the boringest playoff games in MLS history. They just kill every game they play in.

EDIT: having stuck with it, I officially declare the worst MLS playoff game I have ever seen, and Seattle's anti-football is a mockery.

Canary10
10-29-2017, 09:54 PM
Seattle, since the Dallas series last year, has now played 3.5 of the boringest playoff games in MLS history. They just kill every game they play in.

EDIT: having stuck with it, I officially declare the worst MLS playoff game I have ever seen, and Seattle's anti-football is a mockery.

Yup, horrible. I don't think there was a single shot in the game was there?

PizzaEatingYeti
10-29-2017, 09:56 PM
With this 0-0 in Vancouver I think Seattle has 80% chances to advance to the conference final.
I see them like the most likely team we'll play if we get to the Cup Final.

Damn boring game, 6-6 shots at goal, and just 1 on target, and that one was Waston's own clearance.
WTF?

Call me crazy but I'd like to see anyone else than Seattle from the West, if playing in the cup final at BMO...
I'm much afraid from the anti-footy of Seattle, and I think Frei is capable of superb evolutions in the biggest games. Also I consider this Seattle team clearly better than last year's.

GerMc
10-29-2017, 10:01 PM
I have to say that I wasn't overly impressed with either team tonight. And I think if Seattle makes it to the final (which I don' think they will--I think it will be Portland), then I think the addition of Vazquez will allow us to pry them open like a can. I don't think Seattle's strategy from last year's MLS Cup will work this year.

PizzaEatingYeti
10-29-2017, 10:03 PM
For those outside Canada or the US who will be watching TFC tomorrow on online streams:
Tonight's Vancouver game had perfect quality on http://goatdee.net/ ! It was like watching on TV.

I will be royally pissed if the TFC game will have bad streamed quality there.
(I just arrived 2 days ago back in Europe, where I will stay a couple of months.)

OgtheDim
10-30-2017, 09:42 PM
Portland's hopes just got broken, almost literally. Without Chara, they got serious issues protecting that back line.

ensco
10-30-2017, 09:53 PM
Portland's hopes just got broken, almost literally.

I am watching Raps-Blazers, and OG just posterized someone as I read this. I thought I was in the Raps thread!

OgtheDim
10-30-2017, 10:15 PM
Grass in Houston is awful.

Apparently, 7 soccer matches & 1 gridiron in 25 days - no grass can handle that.

Hamilton_Red
10-30-2017, 11:00 PM
I have to say that I wasn't overly impressed with either team tonight. And I think if Seattle makes it to the final (which I don' think they will--I think it will be Portland), then I think the addition of Vazquez will allow us to pry them open like a can. I don't think Seattle's strategy from last year's MLS Cup will work this year.

Well...I sat through both Western games & they were brutal. The Huston pitch is a disaster & it might have finished Portland off with injuries to both Chara and Nagbe. Vancouver were very limp last night. The only thing good in the West is the Torres-Marshall-Frei defence in Seattle. The Cup will be won in the East. We just have to play our game and we will get there. New York RedBulls are the only hope for the West to have the Cup on home soil. Ridiculous system to have Huston play on that field twice in four days and the first going to extra time. Then a two week break to the next round.

denime
10-31-2017, 07:17 PM
1-0 crew,this will be better game then west semis

TheSloanRanger
10-31-2017, 07:20 PM
Game link if anyone's interested. Not the best quality, but then again either are the teams playing :canada:http://kobestreams.ch/soccer5.php

DIEHARDTFC
10-31-2017, 07:34 PM
If Columbus is able to use the emotional rollercoster of the past couple weeks to their advantage, I'd say they could give NYFC a good run and possibly beyond. We steamrolled FC at Yankee Stadium last year...Crew could do the same there as well.

GerMc
10-31-2017, 07:47 PM
Neither Columbus nor NYCFC is impressing tonight. Lots of defensive mistakes on both sides. Advantage to the Crew so far 35 mins in...they could be up by 2 or 3 at this point, rather than 1-0. I will say, though, that it is a more entertaining game than either of the Western division games.

CBTFC
10-31-2017, 07:54 PM
Just now in the crowd mics, you could hear an audible "this is our house, fuck you precourt" chant going.

It was quite audible/noticable for over a solid minute, lol.

OgtheDim
10-31-2017, 08:16 PM
Fun game but both teams have weak defences.

NYC even weaker now with a CD red carded for a stupid elbow.

notthesun
10-31-2017, 08:22 PM
Not impressed by either of these teams... both have made so many awful turnovers, and both have squandered a bunch of chances.

notthesun
10-31-2017, 08:36 PM
NYC, again, are frauds.

Kayaker
10-31-2017, 08:38 PM
Crap... was looking forward to a flight to NY in a couple of weeks. Looks like I'm going for a drive to Columbus on Nov 21st (assuming a good result for us on Sunday, obviously)

TheGoodson
10-31-2017, 08:39 PM
Columbus is through... it’s looking like there will be a road trip to Columbus in later November

Gringo Starr
10-31-2017, 08:45 PM
Missed back pass by the ref

notthesun
10-31-2017, 08:46 PM
Big away goal for NYC. That's why Columbus doesn't scare me either. Both of these teams regularly make big mistakes at the back.

Yohan
10-31-2017, 08:55 PM
2nd leg is going to be fun. The Pigeons will come out guns blazing and Crew playing on the counter

tfcfans
10-31-2017, 09:00 PM
Wow.....beautiful goal....4-1 ought to do it.....

TheSloanRanger
10-31-2017, 09:03 PM
Wow ...Leg 2 should be interesting

OgtheDim
10-31-2017, 09:08 PM
Not as much a beautiful goal as complete shambles on defence - get in a tackle lads.

Assuming we get through Sunday, we should be able to take Columbus - (there is no way NYC doesn't allow an away goal).

Oldtimer
10-31-2017, 09:09 PM
So tell me again why Viera is a better coach than Vanney?

SoccMan2
10-31-2017, 09:11 PM
It’s over Columbus is in NYCFC will need a miracle at Yankee Stadium if TFC gets through it will be TFC and Columbus in the Conference final and it won’t be easy.

Yohan
10-31-2017, 09:11 PM
Big away goal for NYC. That's why Columbus doesn't scare me either. Both of these teams regularly make big mistakes at the back.
There is no team left that TFC should fear in the playoffs. Respect yes. Switch off for a moment and MLS teams can punish you.

But there is no team left that I could say that they have strong defence. Offence yes. Defence no. And defence wins championships

GerMc
10-31-2017, 09:45 PM
So that is 3 playoff games in NYCFC history and they have shipped 11 goals. Wow...

I do think that Columbus is probably the tougher of the two teams, given how they have been playing of late, but they did have some shocking defensive lapses...what was Jonathan Mensah doing out there? A bunch of goals were there for the having, but NYCFC couldn't finish.

spe18
10-31-2017, 09:55 PM
So that is 3 playoff games in NYCFC history and they have shipped 11 goals. Wow...

I do think that Columbus is probably the tougher of the two teams, given how they have been playing of late, but they did have some shocking defensive lapses...what was Jonathan Mensah doing out there? A bunch of goals were there for the having, but NYCFC couldn't finish.

They also scored their first playoff goal in team history!

UpTheReds
10-31-2017, 10:12 PM
Selfishly I want to be play Columbus because it is closer and it would be easier to attend the away leg. But NYC is an absolute shambles and we would destroy them.

Hamilton_Red
10-31-2017, 10:18 PM
The only thing that can stop TFC is a cast iron defence. For me Columbus can play that way & Seattle with Torres/Marshall/Frei. Would like to see a few goals from Gio in regular play. If we play close to our best we are definitely odds on favourite.

JoeM
10-31-2017, 10:27 PM
Just now in the crowd mics, you could hear an audible "this is our house, fuck you precourt" chant going.

It was quite audible/noticable for over a solid minute, lol.

Good. No truer statement then "fuck you precourt" lol

JoeM
10-31-2017, 10:40 PM
Assuming we go through, I agree - not worried about Columbus but absolutely cannot switch off. They're too good on the counter and have offensive weapons that can really hurt us. If Moor is out, I think Hagglund will need to play like he did last night the rest of the way. He can be a monster, but can make me a bit shaky too. But that Columbus defense is very leaky - I think we'd be fine without him but a healthy Vazquez will pick that backline apart. Really looking forward to the potential matchup - could make for some exciting football.

Related note: I desperately hope both us and them hold-on to the advantage and make the conference final. I really, really feel for the longtime, loyal fans that they do have. But more importantly - Columbus is only a 2.5 hour drive for me so that is absolutely an away leg that I'll be at haha

Hamilton_Red
10-31-2017, 10:53 PM
The idea of Columbus hosting an MLS Cup Final after the owner has threatened to pull the team is unthinkable. We will have to snuff them out "bigly"

CBTFC
11-01-2017, 06:14 AM
And defence wins championships

By defence do you mean not even attempting a shot on net? ;)

(it's almost a year on and I'm still bitter at how Seattle "played", but the jokes certainly help)

Yohan
11-01-2017, 06:17 AM
By defence do you mean not even attempting a shot on net? ;)

(it's almost a year on and I'm still bitter at how Seattle "played", but the jokes certainly help)
if it's stupid but it works, then it's not stupid :p

whositwhatnow
11-01-2017, 10:16 AM
man that was a crazy game last night, the way Columbus is playing it woudl be an interesting conference final

Stugatzo
11-01-2017, 11:38 AM
Selfishly I want to be play Columbus because it is closer and it would be easier to attend the away leg. But NYC is an absolute shambles and we would destroy them.

HA!!Was thinking the same!

Stugatzo
11-01-2017, 11:58 AM
Hotel booked for Columbus...why not? I can always cancel! LOL

whositwhatnow
11-01-2017, 06:12 PM
Hotel booked for Columbus...why not? I can always cancel! LOL

good point

Voodooman
11-01-2017, 06:26 PM
Already booked mine as well. Ready for another road trip.

daner90
11-01-2017, 07:34 PM
Which hotel did you book?

Red4ever
11-01-2017, 09:15 PM
Yall are tempting fate and gonna send us to karma hell.

GerMc
11-02-2017, 10:25 PM
The Whitecaps are playing pretty well so far, but can't seem to stop the stupid giveaways. At some point, Seattle will punish them if they keep that up. I think that the Whitecaps have a shot at eliminating Seattle...which I wouldn't mind seeing.

DinamoTFC
11-02-2017, 10:47 PM
Seattle vs caps game is some terrible football. Giveaway galore. Hope Vancouver makes it because they are easily bebeatable. Literally every ball near their net they clear to the stands. Not even trying to play.

molenshtain
11-02-2017, 11:04 PM
It's an adventure every time the 'Caps have the ball.

Oldtimer
11-02-2017, 11:09 PM
'Caps need to score two after that Dempsey goal.

molenshtain
11-02-2017, 11:10 PM

What? Why?

Oldtimer
11-02-2017, 11:10 PM
'Caps narrowly avoid being Toledo'd.

DinamoTFC
11-02-2017, 11:12 PM

Incorrect. A 1 1 draw gets them thru. First game 0 0.

sn0re
What? Why?

If it's a tie it goes into extra time

Oldtimer
What? Why?

Sorry, it's the opposite, if 'Caps score they go through, away goal.

molenshtain
11-02-2017, 11:13 PM
If it's a tie it goes into extra time

Why would they not advance on away goals?

molenshtain
11-02-2017, 11:14 PM
I maintain that Montero is highly, highly overrated.

DinamoTFC
Caps montero should have been red carded for a 2 footed stomp right on the ankles of Seattle player. Ref decided to ignore it and let them "play on". But I bet Carl will complain about the ref as usual.

Oldtimer

They would.

Oldtimer
11-02-2017, 11:18 PM
Easy for Frei.

sn0re
11-02-2017, 11:20 PM

https://league-mp7static.mlsdigital.net/images/van-sea-leg2.png

Oldtimer
11-02-2017, 11:40 PM
Seattle's through, and Robbo is probably going to be looking for a new job.

DinamoTFC
11-02-2017, 11:47 PM
Terrible coaching for not taking advantage of home game in Vancouver and Seattle missing a couple players.

Jeffro
11-02-2017, 11:48 PM
Wow, that was an abysmal 2 legs from the Whitecaps.

Hamilton_Red
11-03-2017, 12:34 AM
Did they even get a shot on net? That was an awful performance...Whitecaps couldn't get out of their own half. Reyna - Techera - Bolanos were absolutely dire.

Now that being said...in Torres, Marshal and Frei Seattle has a really formidable defence. They will likely get to the Final again & we will be treated to another attempt at 0-0. I think that Torres might be the best defender in MLS.

molenshtain
11-03-2017, 12:56 AM
Did they even get a shot on net? That was an awful performance...Whitecaps couldn't get out of their own half. Reyna - Techera - Bolanos were absolutely dire.

Now that being said...in Torres, Marshal and Frei Seattle has a really formidable defence. They will likely get to the Final again & we will be treated to another attempt at 0-0. I think that Torres might be the best defender in MLS.

Alonso and Roldan are a really good shield in front of that trident too.

The difference this year is they can't score at the same rate at all. Morris has taken a nosedive and Lodeiro is scouted much better now. They can't wish for Dempsey heroics every game to get to another championship.

Hamilton_Red
11-03-2017, 01:00 AM
True moley...the mid-field is well organized. I fancy our chances against them for a rematch though. As long as we come out guns a blazing we should be able to correct last year's injustice. Crew is my biggest worry - they are a fairly complete team.

James17930
11-03-2017, 01:21 AM
From Carl Robinson post game:

“I put as many attacking players on the field today as I could, and we still couldn’t muster two or three or four or five decent chances,” Robinson lamented. “Sometimes … it’s about lack of quality. Over the two legs, we didn’t have enough quality to get through.
“You’ve just go to try to find better players. I believe we’re in a better place than we were two years ago when we went out to Portland. Better players make you a better team. What’s the difference in the teams today? Quality. Clint steps up. We’ve got really good players as well, but we were slightly off it today.”

Ouch. Next year either he's gone or half the team are gone. I can't imagine many of the players wanting to keep playing for him after those comments.

Oldtimer
11-03-2017, 05:27 AM
^ sounds a lot like TFC coaches of years gone by, one foot out of the door.

OgtheDim
11-03-2017, 05:45 AM
Wow, that was an abysmal 2 legs from the Whitecaps.

Abysmal last few weeks. The needed 5 points with 5 games to play to secure first, and didn't get it.

They beat up on a hapless San Jose and everybody thinks they are gonna cruise.

They refuse to try to score at home.

They then refuse to try to score away from home.

Robinson shown himself to be less then others in this league.

Edit: And blaming his player quality is pretty pathetic. Say "We couldn't get the job done." But don't throw your players under the bus. Maybe he is out the door.

ag futbol
11-03-2017, 07:03 AM
That’s a pretty sad statement by Robinson, a guy who has generally gotten by though being a players coach but a tactical novice.

They need bigger brains running that team than they have right now (aka Lenarduzzi has to go also). Although, it’s always going to be a challenge with a thrifty owner in a league of increasing spenders.

Ben - D.O.W.
11-03-2017, 07:26 AM
Seattle supporters are making fun of Vancouver for mustering only 1 shot on goal over 180 minutes. And they somehow fail to recognize the ridiculousness of doing that after last years MLS Cup performance. Too soon, Seattle, too soon. Still pretty dire from Vancouver.

fergiejr
11-03-2017, 07:26 AM
I was actually thinking he was going to be gone earlier this year. They have held on to Robbo far too long. I was really hoping for a 'Caps / TFC final.

Canary10
11-03-2017, 10:19 AM
Seattle supporters are making fun of Vancouver for mustering only 1 shot on goal over 180 minutes. And they somehow fail to recognize the ridiculousness of doing that after last years MLS Cup performance. Too soon, Seattle, too soon. Still pretty dire from Vancouver.

Not to mention Seattle had a total of five shots on goal in two games.

Derko
11-03-2017, 10:36 AM

Seattle supporters are so, how do we put this...........

OgtheDim
11-03-2017, 12:43 PM

Unaware....

MartinUtd
11-03-2017, 02:32 PM
I want to beat Seattle in the final but I'm still cheering against them every step of the way. It's a weird feeling.

ag futbol
11-03-2017, 03:18 PM
New western conference refrain for this year “nobody in the east plays defence” 🤦

Initial B
11-05-2017, 01:25 PM
Seattle-ish.

BenRhodes23
11-05-2017, 06:40 PM
NYCFC look dangerous...

General Woolfe
11-05-2017, 06:48 PM
Given our depleted squad, who would we rather face in the Conference Final? A Columbus side that's been hot recently and a visit to Mafre which weve always found tricky, or a trip to the Micky Mouse converted baseball diamond, which is more a game of bagataille?

BenRhodes23
11-05-2017, 06:56 PM
Given our depleted squad, who would we rather face in the Conference Final? A Columbus side that's been hot recently and a visit to Mafre which weve always found tricky, or a trip to the Micky Mouse converted baseball diamond, which is more a game of bagataille?

I fear Villa and Harrison more than anyone on Columbus but the crew have always been a difficult opponent. I think I'd rather see Columbus however

Oldtimer
11-05-2017, 07:15 PM
So we're playing the Crew. Should be interesting.

General Woolfe
11-05-2017, 07:23 PM
I fear Villa and Harrison more than anyone on Columbus but the crew have always been a difficult opponent. I think I'd rather see Columbus however

Columbus it is then. IIRC we beat them 2-1 at Mafre without Seba, hopefully we can go in there and keep it level to set up a one off game at BMO where we (hopefully) will be back to full strength

OgtheDim
11-05-2017, 07:28 PM
Columbus don't press.

They don't foul teams all the time.

They pass it through at pace.

This sets up as a good series for us.

Gringo Starr
11-05-2017, 07:33 PM
I'm glad we play the crew, would rather play on a regular sized field than that timbit soccer size pitch in New York

daner90
11-05-2017, 09:08 PM
Houston levels things in Portland 1-1 and is up on away goals in the 2nd half

grizzle
11-05-2017, 09:39 PM
Looks like Houston has this one and should go through.

OgtheDim
11-05-2017, 09:51 PM
This would be only the 2nd away win all season for Houston. Their only other away win was in DC.

stevep
11-05-2017, 09:55 PM
all these other teams stink, really boring to watch, no quality
we are so spoiled with tfc

BenRhodes23
11-05-2017, 10:50 PM
I'm shocked that Portland lost. I imagine that's the end of the line in MLS for Liam Ridgewell as a couple of Premier League clubs have been linked with him

Hamilton_Red
11-06-2017, 04:44 AM
I'm glad we play the crew, would rather play on a regular sized field than that timbit soccer size pitch in New York

This - our final three games of the season will all be on nice proper grass fields.