PDA

View Full Version : Blanco suspended for 2 years from US Open Cup

Chevy
07-31-2008, 05:01 PM
CHICAGO (AP)—The U.S. Soccer Federation has suspended Chicago Fire (http://sports.yahoo.com/mls/teams/chi/;_ylt=Ao5Z2tcNqB_DYCyTEJb0iBcUwLYF) midfielder Cuauhtemoc Blanco from U.S. Open Cup play for at least two years.
The organization’s disciplinary panel banned Blanco after he punched United midfielder Clyde Simms in the stomach and poked him in the eye July 8 during an Open Cup quarterfinal game against D.C. United (http://sports.yahoo.com/mls/teams/was/;_ylt=AgywFy7t9ySL6fEycllzbsQUwLYF).
After being ejected, he also head-butted a United employee trying to lead him away.
The ban prevents Blanco from playing in U.S. Open Cup matches in 2009 or 2010. It could be extended depending on the number of games the Fire participate in the tournament in those years.

http://sports.yahoo.com/sow/news?slug=ap-blancosuspended&prov=ap&type=lgns

Gobi
07-31-2008, 05:04 PM
Cunt-amoc. Quasimodo. God I hate him.

Edit: Yeah, sorry for the lack of insight or contribution. Just had to vent for a sec.

AL-MO
07-31-2008, 05:08 PM
He should be suspended for part of the MLS season as well.

US Open cup games? What a joke.

Cashcleaner
07-31-2008, 05:25 PM
He poked the guy in the eye?!

Brilliant! It's just like the Three Stooges, but in soccer format!

RealG-TFC
07-31-2008, 05:29 PM
He's not that bad! He just has a wild temper, I dislike many others in MLs more than him.

nimamalek
07-31-2008, 06:04 PM
i like this guy more and more, we should get him!

werewolf
07-31-2008, 06:07 PM
It is a shame that Don Garber and company are too busy investigating streamers, and using up all their resources, instead of perhaps looking into that incident further.

mdc 77
07-31-2008, 06:21 PM
Hilarious...way to display that Mexican temper.

Smenge
07-31-2008, 06:27 PM
Zidane is probably the games best player of the past twenty years, and he will be remembered for his materazzi incident most, at least by people who have no idea.....blanco is the best in MLS, he made a mistake...so what, he is still the best player, and it would be great if he were with tfc.

MrHawk
07-31-2008, 06:37 PM
He should be suspended for part of the MLS season as well.

US Open cup games? What a joke.

I think the same theory goes as in Europe. You can be suspended from league play, but not in Europe and vice-versa.

AL-MO
07-31-2008, 06:42 PM
I think the same theory goes as in Europe. You can be suspended from league play, but not in Europe and vice-versa.

Yeah I get what you are saying, but this is not for a red card or an accumulation of yellows, Blanco basically attacked two people!

AL-MO
07-31-2008, 06:44 PM
not to sound racist or anything but could we get a big red sheet, and wave it around to see if the 'bull' loses it at BMO?

MrHawk
07-31-2008, 06:46 PM
Yeah I get what you are saying, but this is not for a red card or an accumulation of yellows, Blanco basically attacked two people!

I agree, it's a douchehead move on his behalf, just not sure why he won't face any MLS Suspension time.

James17930
07-31-2008, 06:53 PM
I agree, it's a douchehead move on his behalf, just not sure why he won't face any MLS Suspension time.

Because it didn't happen in MLS play. It happened in Open Cup play. So he gets suspended from the Open Cup.

Pretty simple.

MrHawk
07-31-2008, 06:56 PM
As AL-MO said, this is not b/c of card accumulation.

Assault is a different matter.

werewolf
07-31-2008, 07:04 PM
Because it didn't happen in MLS play. It happened in Open Cup play. So he gets suspended from the Open Cup.

Pretty simple.

Todd Bertuzzi attacked Steve Moore in an NHL game, but his suspensions was upheld by the IIHF and extended to international play and leagues abroad.

MrHawk
07-31-2008, 07:07 PM
However, if Todd had been suspended for other reasons, IIHF rules would've allowed him to play I imagine.

AL-MO
07-31-2008, 07:25 PM
As AL-MO said, this is not b/c of card accumulation.

Assault is a different matter.

I would have his ass fried if it was in one of my leagues!!! MUHAHAHAHA :devil:

e_mcarthur89
07-31-2008, 08:51 PM

Pretty simple.

Suspensions from the same country count for all competitions I am almost positive, at least in England. A suspension will count no matter if it's FA Cup or Premiership. Seems like it's the same thing as this situation. US Cup and MLS, it is a national cup competition, his suspension should be upheld within every league in that country.

ElvistheEvilScotsman
07-31-2008, 09:22 PM
Maybe it will tilt the scales in our favour to get Blanco to play for TFC?

Just need to hope that he feels like there is a great big void in his life without the US Open Cup and he feels the Nutrilite Cup is the only way of filling the void. Plus it would be nice to have someone poke a few impact and blizzard players in the eyes!

:)

Red CB Toronto
07-31-2008, 10:08 PM
I think Blanco is a good player for this league and I am happy he autographed a photo for me at the MLS All-Star Players Party.

Flipityflu
07-31-2008, 10:18 PM
i guess he won't be taking the Open Cup with him back up the bell tower.

stugautz
07-31-2008, 10:21 PM
I reserve judgment until I see the video. Anybody??

greatwhitenorf
08-01-2008, 09:47 AM
Ahh, he's just lazy. He found a way to not have to play in games that don't matter to him.

Or it's payback for America taking Texas away from Mexico.

Roogsy
08-01-2008, 09:50 AM
Ahh, he's just lazy. He found a way to not have to play in games that don't matter to him.

Or it's payback for America taking Texas away from Mexico.

:rofl:

Quasimodo: BAH! Wat eez dis stoopid US op-ehn? I don wanna do it. Lemme ged outtavit! I know how...

Shaughno
08-01-2008, 10:07 AM
Zidane is probably the games best player of the past twenty years, and he will be remembered for his materazzi incident most, at least by people who have no idea.....blanco is the best in MLS, he made a mistake...so what, he is still the best player, and it would be great if he were with tfc.

A mistake is snapping and punching the guy in the gut. Punching the guy in the gut, poking him in the eyes and headbutting an employee is much worse than a simply 'mistake'.