PDA

View Full Version : Match Day 33 - Montreal @ TFC Sunday Oct 15 5pm - The road unwinds before me

OgtheDim
10-08-2017, 07:37 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mjrIvT_j-NU

Have at It People

Oldtimer
10-08-2017, 07:42 AM
Meaningless match for a Montréal team that has missed the post season. TFC has a full squad including all DPs and VV.

While Montréal is always up for rivalry and their players will be playing for their jobs, I call for a decisive Toronto win.

(PS Kudos on picking a very suitable Rush song).

Red CB Toronto
10-08-2017, 09:41 AM
Meaningless match for a Montréal team that has missed the post season. TFC has a full squad including all DPs and VV.

While Montréal is always up for rivalry and their players will be playing for their jobs, I call for a decisive Toronto win.

(PS Kudos on picking a very suitable Rush song).

I just hope Montreal decides not decide to run roughshot, hacking away at the Reds and if they do, Greg is sees it and gets key players off the pitch.

Fort York Redcoat
10-08-2017, 10:15 AM
Rival match to drive towards the Galaxy record. Yes please.

PizzaEatingYeti
10-09-2017, 06:04 PM
I just hope Montreal decides not decide to run roughshot, hacking away at the Reds and if they do, Greg is sees it and gets key players off the pitch.

If this happens, will just prove that MLS remains in a deep bush league state.
In the 10-12 top European leagues something like this would be impossible, besides that team being filled with red cards, that club would get very heavy fines from their federation.

<div style="rant">

I mean WTF, isn't enough that about 6 away games in every season are almost always automatic losses because the hosts have shit artificial pitches?
On top of that in a number of games a good team can't play their better players, being afraid they will be hacked to death because the other team can do so knowing that they do not get punished?

</div>

PizzaEatingYeti
10-09-2017, 06:10 PM
Rival match to drive towards the Galaxy record. Yes please.

This!
In these 2 remaining matches we should get minimum 4 points, but better 6!

Red4ever
10-09-2017, 06:22 PM
I look forward to breaking the sacred record we all just learned existed 3 months ago.

Derko
10-10-2017, 06:36 AM
I look forward to breaking the sacred record we all just learned existed 3 months ago.

No one knew it existed, must have been a slow day for MLS writers 3 months ago.

Section_105
10-10-2017, 09:47 AM
must keep building momentum into the post season. The NYRB win was good but there was a lot of sloppyness that needs tightening up for this team to be firing on all cylinders.

Looks like Mike/Jozy playing a little water polo today....... http://www.espnfc.com/united-states/story/3224710/united-states-trains-on-flooded-pitch-in-trinidad-ahead-of-world-cup-qualifier

Oldtimer
10-10-2017, 11:28 AM
TFC announced the Shield presentation will be before the match, don't be late!

GlenM
10-10-2017, 11:59 AM

YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!

GlenM

sn0re
10-10-2017, 03:12 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mjrIvT_j-NU

Have at It People

Thanks for the follow up <3

surtandoom
10-10-2017, 06:34 PM

Hey, just wondering.... where/when did TFC announce the shield presentation would be before Sunday’s match? I can’t find anything on the site nor have I seen an email from the club. Thanks!

Red CB Toronto
10-10-2017, 06:44 PM
Hey, just wondering.... where/when did TFC announce the shield presentation would be before Sunday’s match? I can’t find anything on the site nor have I seen an email from the club. Thanks!
It was announced in the Red Alert video on the TFC Website that was filmed with Phil.

gerrard8
10-11-2017, 11:23 AM
There will be no Impact playing for the Cup.
There will be no Impact playing for the Cup.
There will be no Impact playing. No Impact playing. No Impact playing for the Cup.

:)

urdiub
10-11-2017, 08:52 PM
Any news regarding a march to the match!? Gotta get some marching practice before playoffs!!!

Red4ever
10-11-2017, 09:03 PM
We should all wear red clown noses. That would be excellent trolling.

Maybe hold red balloons to stay current.

FootBallAZ
10-12-2017, 05:44 PM
Received email today stating time change. 4.30 presentation.

flatpicker
10-12-2017, 06:57 PM
Received email today stating time change. 4.30 presentation.

Great. A presentation in front of maybe 2000 fans.

GlenM
10-12-2017, 07:49 PM
Fuck let's march with the shield to the stadium along with the other Supporters Groups with flares\pyro..

Just a thought...

GlenM

Red4ever
10-12-2017, 09:28 PM
Great. A presentation in front of maybe 2000 fans.

And likely not Montreal... what a shit job of planning

OgtheDim
10-13-2017, 06:08 AM
And also with guys warming up on the pitch for the game.

If this trophy means so much to the team, why the heck are they relegating the presentation to the level of "Charity player of the month".

Not impressed.

Redpunkfiddle
10-13-2017, 08:42 AM
I'd wager it doesn't happen at 4:30. The email is getting people early so they are there when it does happen pregame. Haven't you guys been around long enough to know this tactic?

Red4ever
10-13-2017, 08:47 AM
I'd wager it doesn't happen at 4:30. The email is getting people early so they are there when it does happen pregame. Haven't you guys been around long enough to know this tactic?

Likely but who knows. Ive thought this exact thing and missed player tributes.

ChrisFizik
10-13-2017, 09:29 AM
Not going to be *that* early guys, closer to kick, it'll be a thing. Just give yourselves time to get into the stands etc.

flatpicker
10-13-2017, 10:29 AM
Still seems poorly planned.
That trophy should have been waiting in Toronto a month ago as they were getting closer to clinching.

Globetrotter
10-13-2017, 10:40 AM
Looks like the rain and lightning should be gone by 1pm on Sunday. By 3pm, suppose to be sun/cloud and 15-19C. Ground could be soggy, but might be a at least the weather shouldn't affect the game too much.

Redpunkfiddle
10-13-2017, 11:25 AM
Still seems poorly planned.
That trophy should have been waiting in Toronto a month ago as they were getting closer to clinching.

What are you saying? That it should have been presented the moment it was clinched?

Or that the organization for tomorrow is poorly planned?

I happened to be pro-present when they clinch. So if you want to commiserate with me, I'll be around. But I have no issues with how things are being set up tomorrow based on the choice to present on the 15th.

Red4ever
10-13-2017, 11:37 AM
We'll see how this goes, but I could see it being rather anti climactic.

I agree that in future, the thing should follow the frontrunner around.

flatpicker
10-13-2017, 11:53 AM
What are you saying? That it should have been presented the moment it was clinched?

Or that the organization for tomorrow is poorly planned?

I happened to be pro-present when they clinch. So if you want to commiserate with me, I'll be around. But I have no issues with how things are being set up tomorrow based on the choice to present on the 15th.

Yes, that's my point.
Toronto has been a clear favourite to clinch for many weeks.
That trophy should have already been in the city for presentation during the last game.

Section_105
10-13-2017, 12:52 PM
Yes, that's my point.
Toronto has been a clear favourite to clinch for many weeks.
That trophy should have already been in the city for presentation during the last game.

Not quite.
The tradition with it is that it stays with the supporters that won it last year until it's time to hand it over. This would have required some Texans to follow TFC around during the time in which they could have clinched which is a little much to ask.

I think doing it before a game sucks but due to the tradition with the shield this is what we get and I'm fine with it.

will be there with streamers on

C.Ronaldo
10-13-2017, 01:50 PM
And likely not Montreal... what a shit job of planning

yah, this is Toronto, get real.....we dont show up on time for our first borns

GlenM
10-13-2017, 01:55 PM
Any word on a Supporter Groups March to BMO?

GlenM

Red4ever
10-13-2017, 01:59 PM

Hahaha

Red4ever
10-13-2017, 02:00 PM
Any word on a Supporter Groups March to BMO?

GlenM

March will leave joes at 8am sharp. Gotta leave enough time.

Discostu81
10-13-2017, 02:00 PM

Unless there is free shit involved. There are tuque's being given away so expect people to be there earlier than usual.

flatpicker
10-13-2017, 04:51 PM
March will leave joes at 8am sharp. Gotta leave enough time.

Yeah. Eight hours to walk from Shoeless Joe's to BMO sounds about right.

lol

flatpicker
10-13-2017, 04:54 PM
Not quite.
The tradition with it is that it stays with the supporters that won it last year until it's time to hand it over. This would have required some Texans to follow TFC around during the time in which they could have clinched which is a little much to ask.

I think doing it before a game sucks but due to the tradition with the shield this is what we get and I'm fine with it.

will be there with streamers on

Saying it's "tradition" seems like a pretty silly argument.
The supporters get to hang onto the shield for nearly a year regardless.
If logistics require them to pass it off a few weeks sooner to another group, then they should.
Otherwise it's either poor planning or poor sportsmanship.

DOMIN8R
10-13-2017, 07:24 PM
You

Saying it's "tradition" seems like a pretty silly argument.
The supporters get to hang onto the shield for nearly a year regardless.
If logistics require them to pass it off a few weeks sooner to another group, then they should.
Otherwise it's either poor planning or poor sportsmanship.

Me
Bows in reverence to the man who designed the Shield.

Oldtimer
10-13-2017, 09:23 PM
There's a separate thread for the shield. Here's an idea, let's discuss the game in the game thread. I'll start:

I expect a full strength line up which will crush Montréal, who will manage to score but not to win. 5-2 for the "good guys."

OgtheDim
10-14-2017, 05:59 AM
Due to the ongoing safety investigation with the TTC, the subway closure scheduled for this weekend is cancelled.

&

There will be no GO Train service October 14 & 15 on the Barrie line because of continued construction. GO Buses will run all stops, except York U.

Marlies out of town and nothing going on at Enercare.

According to the Weather Network, the rain should have stopped by game time. 19 degrees feeling like 23 (supposedly)

BUT

Winds from the SW will be 49km/h with gusts up to 75.

Voodooman
10-14-2017, 08:12 AM
Yikes. Going to fun with the flags than if it's that windy.

DOMIN8R
10-14-2017, 08:13 AM
The Shield ceremony is to take place just before the game - so it's somewhat related. However, I cede to the reason of one of our longest standing Mods.

I'm very interested in seeing which limp act team shows up. From what I can see the reds seem pretty fired up for this game. But keeping the powder dry, so to speak, for the playoffs has to weigh on Vanney to some extent. Sounds like Altidore won't be in the line up. Has anyone heard different?

tfcfans
10-14-2017, 08:42 AM
Altidore should be out due to yellow card accumulation.....

The Shield ceremony is to take place just before the game - so it's somewhat related. However, I cede to the reason of one of our longest standing Mods.

I'm very interested in seeing which limp act team shows up. From what I can see the reds seem pretty fired up for this game. But keeping the powder dry, so to speak, for the playoffs has to weigh on Vanney to some extent. Sounds like Altidore won't be in the line up. Has anyone heard different?

Cas87
10-14-2017, 10:28 AM

According to the MLS site, it is the next yellow that he'll be suspended on.
but, Wheeler said on the TFC HQ YouTube show that he was under the weather Thurs and Fri, hopefully he is good to go on Sunday.

Derko
10-14-2017, 12:19 PM
According to the MLS site, it is the next yellow that he'll be suspended on.
but, Wheeler said on the TFC HQ YouTube show that he was under the weather Thurs and Fri, hopefully he is good to go on Sunday.

That's vague

Blindside16
10-14-2017, 12:26 PM
I suspect the L'impact will run out their strongest line up available mainly because 1) it's a derby game and 2) With Biello not coming back I doubt he has any interest in auditioning younger players. Hopefully Jozy is good to go, if not I wonder if Hamilton picks up some minutes with Tos nursing a bad hip. All in all keep it simple and just beat Montreal.

UpTheReds
10-14-2017, 04:25 PM
Is the game on TV?

DOMIN8R
10-14-2017, 05:37 PM
Does anyone else suspect that Greg's comment regarding Jozy being under the weather could really be about the USMNT failing to qualify earlier this week?

Discostu81
10-14-2017, 05:42 PM
Is the game on TV?

TSN I think.

Oldtimer
10-14-2017, 06:33 PM

He got one taken off for good behaviour. If you go a certain amount of games without incident they take one off your total.

Section_105
10-14-2017, 07:27 PM
He got one taken off for good behaviour. If you go a certain amount of games without incident they take one off your total.

fantastic. good news for sure.

Spending tomorrow morning hunting streamers. :)

OgtheDim
10-14-2017, 07:33 PM
Spencer playing for TFCII tonight. So one of Hamilton, Jozy or Ricketts will be on the bench tomorrow.

Yohan
10-14-2017, 07:47 PM
https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2017/10/14/toronto-fc-faithful-planning-big-celebration-supporters-shield-arrives

Oldtimer
10-14-2017, 09:59 PM
Ted Unkel is ref. He's pretty strict, which should cut down on the Montréal strategy of hacking down our guys. Jozy better be careful though and not pick up a card.

General Woolfe
10-15-2017, 12:45 AM
There's a separate thread for the shield. Here's an idea, let's discuss the game in the game thread. I'll start:

I expect a full strength line up which will crush Montréal, who will manage to score but not to win. 5-2 for the "good guys."
You don't think Vanney might sit out Bradley tomorrow? He's due for a 'rest' before the playoffs and I'd rather he play in Atlanta out of the two games left. I also think Jozy might come off the bench tomorrow after about an hour

Oldtimer
10-15-2017, 05:26 AM
You don't think Vanney might sit out Bradley tomorrow? He's due for a 'rest' before the playoffs and I'd rather he play in Atlanta out of the two games left. I also think Jozy might come off the bench tomorrow after about an hour

I think Bradley will play. Jozy not sure about, he's been reported as under the weather. If he's fine he'll play, the Seba-Jozy combo needs to get clicking before the playoffs.

OgtheDim
10-15-2017, 06:15 AM
GAME DAY :scarf:

Rain supposed to end by kick off. Warmish weather but windy as heck.

Red CB Toronto
10-15-2017, 06:52 AM
CAN YOU FEEL IT, IT'S GAME DAY !!!!

I can't wait for the emotion felt throughout the stands when the shield is presented on field. Some I am sure will shed a tear. Then it's on to the push towards the Galaxy record and putting the Impact in their place.

charlieocc
10-15-2017, 07:36 AM
Try posting in the ticket trader thread
http://forums.redpatchboys.ca/showthread.php?40188-10-15-TFC-vs-Montr%E9al-Impact&p=1849678#post1849678

Discostu81
10-15-2017, 08:23 AM
Ted Unkel is ref. He's pretty strict, which should cut down on the Montréal strategy of hacking down our guys. Jozy better be careful though and not pick up a card.

Do they carry over into the playoffs? If so, picking one up and missing the Atlanta game may not be the worst thing in the world.

charlieocc
10-15-2017, 08:52 AM
Do they carry over into the playoffs? If so, picking one up and missing the Atlanta game may not be the worst thing in the world.
They do not

G55
10-15-2017, 09:21 AM
Does anyone know if the gates open early today....if so what time?

Thanks in advance

Section_105
10-15-2017, 12:10 PM

Thanks in advance

Good point. I don't see gate time change at all.

Section_105
10-15-2017, 12:18 PM

Thanks in advance

Only reference is Kia twitter saying Gates at 4 to get their toque and send them a "toque selfie...." so looks like standard gate but hey, lets leave some fans outside while we celebrate the shield. shit. bad, no more negativity.

GAME DAY !!! lets go

OgtheDim
10-15-2017, 12:55 PM
The weather is turning TFC outside...wind picking up...rain. Not quite cold enough but it will get there just in time for a November playoff game.

In the meantime, as Bradley said

on our field, in our weather, with our supporters, our fans, and the entire city of Toronto behind us

Time to beat the Impact back to Montreal

glaze
10-15-2017, 01:25 PM
what time is the march?

BenRhodes23
10-15-2017, 03:21 PM
No Piatti today...

anto7
10-15-2017, 03:21 PM
Have to think that’s our starting 11 that are playing today. Feel bad for Beita but I think Hasler has earned it based on his goals and past few performances. Excited to see how we play with our best buys finally all back on the pitch together.

pdubs
10-15-2017, 03:42 PM
Glad we have the usual suspects playing today.

PizzaEatingYeti
10-15-2017, 04:06 PM
WOW... all our 4 DP-s are starting today (I consider Victor a DP)!
That's what we're talking about.

I wanna see the Limp act finished with at least a 3 goals difference... like 3-0 or 4-1.

TheSloanRanger
10-15-2017, 04:32 PM
Sloppy sloppy sloppy

pdubs
10-15-2017, 04:35 PM
Glad for the goal. But the passing is pure slop. Want to see it improve. Should have been a foul on mavinga as well I think.

habstfc
10-15-2017, 04:45 PM
Link?

ag futbol
10-15-2017, 04:46 PM
I wish my job allowed me to consistently screw up and punish anyone who dare point out how resoundingly terrible my decisions are. By that standard it appears Ted Uncle is living the dream.

pdubs
10-15-2017, 04:48 PM
Smell a couple red cards in this one

ag futbol
10-15-2017, 04:51 PM
We’re playing too direct. Need to build through the midfield and get numbers forward.

Some very sloppy play by both teams.

Inklink
10-15-2017, 04:58 PM
Holy crap. Does Steven Caldwell do anything other than repeat what Wileman says, but in a Scottish accent? Like almost word for word.

General Woolfe
10-15-2017, 04:59 PM
Man this side is really out of sync. I dont know if we have the luxury of resting anyone next week, turf or not. Weve had way too many disruptions and our midfield/foward line need as many games as possible to recover the magic they displayed throughout the season. Our defence is also looking really hesitant and id be looking for a way to get Hagglund back in there at the expense of Zavaletta or Moor.

notthesun
10-15-2017, 05:02 PM
We look super sloppy. International break did us no favors. We're trying good things but most of it is just not coming off, guys missing simple touches and passes.

General Woolfe
10-15-2017, 05:05 PM
Stonewaller

pdubs
10-15-2017, 05:05 PM
That dirty wind might have something to do with it idk. If that is the case then second half should be night and day in difference.

General Woolfe
10-15-2017, 05:07 PM
FFs Seba!! Two goes and he still misses. Time to give Vasquez the penalties

ag futbol
10-15-2017, 05:08 PM
Man this side is really out of sync. I dont know if we have the luxury of resting anyone next week, turf or not. Weve had way too many disruptions and our midfield/foward line need as many games as possible to recover the magic they displayed throughout the season. Our defence is also looking really hesitant and id be looking for a way to get Hagglund back in there at the expense of Zavaletta or Moor.
I think bad or not this is our last kick at rounding into form. I wouldn’t show Atlanta our best side nor would I want suspensions / injuries to creep into the games that matter.

But it’s a little scary how many errors this team is making lately.

TheSloanRanger
10-15-2017, 05:10 PM
Nice to see today's side pay homage to the early days at tfc. Playing like an '07 squad is a
cool tribute. Hopefully we can shake it off in the second half !!

notthesun
10-15-2017, 05:12 PM
Yellow cards are wiped at the end of the season so the only suspensions we'd have to worry about in the last game are red cards.

Ideally I'd rest guys for the last game but we look sloppy, Vanney might want to use it to get everything up to speed.

I think Vazquez has to be on penalties now, I don't know if Giovinco will go for that though. He badly wants a goal right now.

nonc
10-15-2017, 05:14 PM
Alex Bono cryptonite appears to be wind! Couldn't distribute to save his life. They should look better playing with the wind in the second half. Giovinco is such a stubborn perfectionist it just HAS to be inside left post...until it's outside left post. :D

PizzaEatingYeti
10-15-2017, 05:14 PM
This is not good at all.
Extremely sloppy play, since they got beaten at home by this same Limp Act, TFC never played as good as before.

For me the major concern is the defense. Since that home game with Montral our defense is extremely porous, it's day and night difference compared to the defence we had over the course of the full season.
What the hell happened with the defense in the last 2 months?

And the last thing: never ever let Seba take another penalty this season!

Redcoe15
10-15-2017, 05:20 PM
Sloppy play and missed opportunities for sure. But TFC has a 1-0 lead at the half. And with the wind at our side's back at the second half, opportunities to widen the lead are for certain.

And Stephen Caldwell can go eat a bag of dicks AFAIC.

General Woolfe
10-15-2017, 05:21 PM
A really poor and sloppy first half from TFC. Here's hoping its just rustiness for this particular group and not a drop in form at the worst possible time. Were lucky we were on the right side of a bad decision from a referee that's had a poor performance both sides have suffered from.

We need to move the ball forward far quicker and stop recycling the ball through the back four. There's a hesitancy back there there that better teams will punish. Seba and Jozy need better service, even if one or two chances go off target, we need to improve their supply to get them clicking again.

General Woolfe
10-15-2017, 05:28 PM
Wow! How did that stay out. Dodged a real bullet there. Wake up TFC!!!

Redcoe15
10-15-2017, 05:29 PM
Bono is Man of the Match so far.

General Woolfe
10-15-2017, 05:31 PM
Bono is Man of the Match so far.

Mavinga for me. Bono's had the angels on his side once or twice

pdubs
10-15-2017, 05:31 PM
The is terrible. Pure slop. Bad give aways. Idiotic passing.

General Woolfe
10-15-2017, 05:35 PM
Good to see Seba having a go, even if nothings come off so far, he needs to get his sharpness back

pdubs
10-15-2017, 05:35 PM
Mavinga is a beast l. Love his hustle and seems to time tackles perfectly

General Woolfe
10-15-2017, 05:43 PM
I think bad or not this is our last kick at rounding into form. I wouldn’t show Atlanta our best side nor would I want suspensions / injuries to creep into the games that matter.

Disagree m8, its not like Atlanta dont know our best 11. This side needs minutes together and we could have the points record to go for

Yohan
10-15-2017, 05:44 PM
it's not Giovinco's day

notthesun
10-15-2017, 05:54 PM
It's not anyone's day, we're incredibly sloppy. Every touch, every pass you hold your breath, it feels like we're on a knife's edge of losing the ball at every moment.

nonc
10-15-2017, 06:09 PM
Good to see Cheyrou on the field, legend.

RedsYNWA
10-15-2017, 06:12 PM
MOTM= Our GK Bono

Gio= Worse ever game since joining TFC hopefully turns it around next game

pdubs
10-15-2017, 06:14 PM
Giovinco hasn’t seen the field in a while like 5-6 weeks? Maybe more? So rust would always be an issue I guess. Glad he went full 90.

Leedsoronto
10-15-2017, 06:21 PM
MVP "most valued Post" left post takes it by a whisker for me

Tfc/lfc
10-15-2017, 06:31 PM
MOTM= Our GK Bono

Gio= Worse ever game since joining TFC hopefully turns it around next game

Worst ever no doubt at all. He will make up for it though.

Oldtimer
10-15-2017, 06:32 PM
Coming from the stadium, I'll tell you the wind during the game was very powerful and irregular. That's the reason why both teams looked so sloppy. It has nothing to do with quality of play.

General Woolfe
10-15-2017, 06:56 PM
A win is a win and on that basis i'm grateful. I'll take that anyday over a defeat where we play well. Winning the SS and equaling the season record for points is nothing to scoff at, and for that reason i'm happy for the win today and for the successful season we've enjoyed.

However, its frightening how much our form has dipped in the past month or so. I know injuries, International breaks, etc, have played a role, but we really need to recapture our mid season form is we are to make a dent in the playoffs. Columbus, Atlanta, and even Chicago all look to be peaking at just the right time and we will need to be at our very best to beat them. (or whoever else we may face in the playoffs) Lets be honest, although its nice to be SS Champs and to be in touching distance of so many league records, winning the MLS Cup is the big one, and the one trophy we really all crave. We played arguably our best side today (although i'd argue there is a place for Hagglund in this side) but looked a long way from the type of performance we know this team is capable of. Lets hope Vanney and the boys can find the right recipe for success we have shown throughout much of the regular season. The pressure is now on. We need to quickly find the midas touch in time to capture the title we all desire... MLS Cup winners

Onward and upwards TFC!!! :scarf:

OgtheDim
10-15-2017, 07:00 PM
Not our best game & Seba should have had a hat trick. Roll on Atlanta.

Redcoe15
10-15-2017, 07:06 PM
Not the best or prettiest home game by far. But OUR SIDE BEAT THE FUCKING LIMPACT, YEAAAAH!!! And they picked up the Supporter's Shield in style, YEAAAAH!!!

Now it's on to Georgia to beat NORTH AMERICA'S WORST SPORTS MARKET and for THE BEST MLS RECORD EVER, YEAAAAH!!!

PizzaEatingYeti
10-15-2017, 07:46 PM
This was bad...
I can't tell it was just huge rustiness, or a combination of TFC's drop off in the form in the last 5-6 weeks, since we lost at home to Montreal.
Probably it's a combination of both, but if it's more of the later, I am much concerned about our playoff performance.

We were lucky to get all 3 points here.
Let's be honest, this game looked like between 2 teams placed somewhere in the 12th-16th place compared to full league standings.

Since the team looked so rusty Vanney would make a monumental error not to play the best 11 in Atlanta.
I would be happy if there were 3 games left from the regular season, not just this one last, but this it...
---------------

PS: Anyone has a feeling that we won the shield way way too long ago?
I mean everyone and their grandmother knew from about 2 months ago that TFC would be almost impossible to catch.

I think this has done a lots of damage mentally to the team, and it's the main cause of the dropping in form.

Tfc/lfc
10-15-2017, 07:55 PM
Complacency could have a lot to do with the dip in form for sure. They have had the league wrapped up for a while and that contributes to a lack of urgency. I am not too concerned because although there is a dip in form, there is no dip in quality. Greg will have them back on track when it matters most.

notthesun
10-15-2017, 08:02 PM
We looked like a team coming off a break with nothing to play for in high winds. Saw lots of rust and little urgency, but I'm not that concerned. I think we should have dialed back our expectations a bit given the circumstances.

zorsofstesab
10-15-2017, 08:13 PM
If Zavaleta and Moor do not get it together and do it soon we are likely going to struggle heading into the playoffs. Those 2 have been dreadful the last few weeks. I would love to see Hagglund out their if he is healthy.

Tfc/lfc
10-15-2017, 08:32 PM
Especially Moor. He really needs to pick it up.

rydermike
10-15-2017, 08:37 PM
Very sloppy overall. We were lucky to get 3 points. Montreal had about 4 solid goals that they missed from a combination of poor touches and the post and a big Bono breakaway save.

PizzaEatingYeti
10-15-2017, 08:38 PM

I could not disagree more with this!

First there is nothing about "showing" or "not showing" something to another team, because after a full season every team's technical staff must have a pretty clear picture of any other team's full capability.

Secondly we much need any possible game which is still not fighthing "for life" like in the playoffs, to give a chance to our top players to re-bond, because right now we look extremely disjointed and rusty.

JoeM
10-15-2017, 09:01 PM
I also think we need to show our best next weekend. Like Yeti mentioned - everyone has seen/knows everyone else's best by this point. The stadium in Atlanta doesn't allow us the excuse of bad weather/wind so our playoff 11 should be going out there and rebuilding the chemistry and unbelievable ball movement we saw earlier this season. The turf/injuries are a little concerning but if we look good the first 45, yank some of the more recently injured or injury prone guys (Seba, Vasquez, Jozy) off at half or early early second. I think tonight's performance did have a little to do with guys coming back from injury and the disruption of the international break, but we looked a lot worse then "rust". This group knows how to step it up when needed though so I'm not overly worried heading into playoffs.

MOTM for me - Cheyrou. Just because I love Benny. And no one looked good.

SKB
10-15-2017, 09:05 PM
I love Moor, but I really think he should be benched. It started about half way or maybe even earlier in the season. He has lost a step and Father Time has caught up to him. He cannot pick it up. He is done. They should not resign him as cruel as that may sound. He is a professional stand up guy and has been a class act at TFC. However, he just doesn’t have anymore, he gets beat regularly now and is losing many of the battles in the air. If it wasn’t for Mavinga covering up for him it would be a lot more obvious. I do not think Vanney will swap him out of the line up. But this could really be a problem in the playoffs when the games are much tighter.

JoeM
10-15-2017, 09:07 PM
Also, was Bono good tonight or Montreal's finishing just extremely poor. Both the breakaway and post/post/ball-in-front should have and would have been goals by almost anyone else with those opportunities. Distribution very poor. And he had a couple sloppy rebounds too - but that can be attributed to wind in some cases. Hopefully the whole squad picks it up for next week.

reggie
10-15-2017, 09:25 PM
that was one ugly game

Canary10
10-15-2017, 09:33 PM
Coming from the stadium, I'll tell you the wind during the game was very powerful and irregular. That's the reason why both teams looked so sloppy. It has nothing to do with quality of play.

Yes. It was the remnants of a hurricane, with winds going in 2-3 directions. Really tough conditions to play in.

StokeciTFC
10-15-2017, 09:56 PM
That was certainly an ugly game and not one that we can gain much confidence from, regardless of the outcome.

I heard a couple of people on the TTC trekking home say that, 'champions grind out hard fought results like that' but I can't agree that that was the scenario tonight - it was a poor performance and a game we might easily have lost.

We got the result like we did the last game, but that was by no means a team in form we saw today.

Too many poor showings there by players who ought to show better. A poor managerial showing too - Vanney has adjusted well generally to counter opposing teams this season but another measure of a manager's thinking is how he or she can cope with conditions.

The number of times we lost possession in dangerous positions was unforgivable, but yet we persisted with trying fancy, delicate flicks to play ourselves out of trouble. The wind played havoc with that shit. Adjust your tactics to cope with conditions or suffer the consequences - football is a multi-dimensional sport.

Early December can be brutal and a Supporters Shield will provide us little protection to hide behind should we play such crap football against a better team we faced this Sunday day.

PizzaEatingYeti
10-15-2017, 10:24 PM
One thing I can not have a decision about:

In this season in the 3 games against our rivals, Montreal, in 1 game we looked great (the first one), in one we looked by far the worst in the whole season (the second one), and in one we looked very bad (this, the last one).
I have not counted here the matches for the Canadian Championship.

What do you guys think, we have a problem when playing Montreal, or Montreal is somehow able to be playing almost always their very best when facing TFC?
Just think about how brutally bad were Montreal's results in the last 2 months, but they took 3 points from us before this game, and today just the Footy Gods made them to not take at least 1 point.

reggie
10-15-2017, 11:26 PM
i dont understand why people on here really dont care that we won the shield,for me that is bigger than winning the mls cup.

JoeM
10-16-2017, 12:25 AM
There are definitely people like-minded to you and think the shield is the top piece of silverware. And there are people with the more North American mindset and think that winning MLS Cup is the ultimate goal. Personally, I put more weight on MLS Cup. Don’t get me wrong - I think the Supporter Shield is massive. I was a fan of the EPL before MLS and I appreciate the significance of being tops after an entire season. I love the EPL for that and would never want to see that changed to a playoff format. But I also don’t think MLS should ever change either. Some people only think the shield is bigger because of other, long established, European leagues - as if they value MLS less because it has a playoff and doesn’t end with the regular season. For me, some of the best soccer is international soccer - and those are all, ultimately, played in a playoff style tournament. You can’t find more intense soccer - with so much weight on each game. And I love that. I don’t feel a need for MLS to copy the “big boys” - we can be our own thing. It is massive to be the best team over 34 games. I absolutely understand those who weight it heavier than MLS Cup. But MLS Cup is trophy 1A in my eyes - and the shield a very close 1B.

fergiejr
10-16-2017, 04:08 AM
Last night's game looked to me like TFC was practicing - trying to get their legs under them with all their starters. Montreal was FLAILING at the ball every time they could - rash tackles and trying to hound the ball carrier as much as possible. They were hungrier than us.

I can put the poor performance on a number of reasons.
1) they did NOT want to lose to MTL at home on the day where they get the shield presented to them - nerves got to the boys. I mean come on, it's Montreal.
2) Jozy and Bradley had some ghosts to shake off.
3) Giovinco had a bad game - although how much skill does it take to hit a post with a soccer ball twice in a row? Anyone can hit a net.... :hide:

And for those who were saying that Bono's distribution was terrible - it's always terrible. That's not his strong suit.

DOMIN8R
10-16-2017, 04:25 AM
As referenced earlier....
For Altidore, Sunday's celebrations came at the end of a tough week."It's been probably one of, if not THE, toughest periods of my life," he said. "Definitely the darkest three days I've probably had. I didn't leave the house, I really didn't do anything.
"But then I remember I'm in a special place and quickly I'm reminded just going to get a coffee, seeing somebody in a TFC shirt and them saying how much it means to them how well the team's done. I'm just reminded of how special of a club that I'm at, the city and the opportunity that I have."

http://www.ctvnews.ca/sports/toronto-fc-marks-arrival-of-supporters-shield-with-wild-1-0-win-over-montreal-1.3633482

MightyDM
10-16-2017, 05:43 AM
Bono man of the match for sure.

Hasler played well well and Morrow decently

Jozy was really poor, after his well taken goal.

bradley had some very good periods but multiple poor giveaways. Delgado and Vasquez too.

i thought Gio was fine, about what you'd expect given six weeks off

Moor really looks like he has lost a step.

wind was brutal.

i share the worry but it's less from this game than from the previous three. The conditions were brutal and it was the first game back after a break. Rust.

WTF with the two yellows to the captains for talking to the referee?

great day to be a Red!

Derko
10-16-2017, 06:08 AM
Especially Moor. He really needs to pick it up.

You mean Zavaleta he has been atrocious for about 4 games know, Moore not as much, but needs to pick it up.

ag futbol
10-16-2017, 06:13 AM
The number of times we lost possession in dangerous positions was unforgivable, but yet we persisted with trying fancy, delicate flicks to play ourselves out of trouble. The wind played havoc with that shit. Adjust your tactics to cope with conditions or suffer the consequences - football is a multi-dimensional sport.

I think much of the “fancy” play happened in the attacking third, not that it made it any less frustrating to watch. Seeing a guy with 5-6 yards of space to operate at the top of the 18 try a pointless flick to a player who wasn’t even in a better position made me quite angry.

In our own third, when trying to play out of trouble, guys looked rusty or made poor decisions. Did not think our midfield or wide players played well in general.

This would have been a good game for a dour tactical performance where everything just gets ground up in midfield. Once we had that goal we should have shown more maturity.

Too many players committed forward on a lot of overly direct play which just left acres of space on the counter.

Still Kicking
10-16-2017, 06:43 AM
Sure, the team looked rusty and clunky. But I think the culprit lies beneath.
Bono combined skill and luck and was my man of the match.
I was looking for Vanney to get Edwards and Ricketts into the game to boost the TFC speed and attack...

But then the Montreal keeper slid and created a huge trough in the field on a goal kick and I started suspecting both field conditions and those tricky winds.
The Montreal insertion of Oduro indicated that it was not a night for speedsters.
TFC may have had time apart, but that pitch has not been rested and that 3:30 - 4 pm downpour must have been too much. A sluggish game was the result.

Argos Out!

Fort York Redcoat
10-16-2017, 07:17 AM
Looking good with that Shield, boys.:scarf:

paul-collins
10-16-2017, 08:19 AM
Last night's game looked to me like TFC was practicing - trying to get their legs under them with all their starters. Montreal was FLAILING at the ball every time they could - rash tackles and trying to hound the ball carrier as much as possible. They were hungrier than us.
Yeah I feel that the Reds weren't playing to beat Montreal, they were playing to win on their own terms. They didn't adjust their game strategy to the conditions beyond keeping the ball down (except for Bono, who was still sailing the ball from both ends). They were trying the tricky things to get their timing back.

You mean Zavaleta he has been atrocious for about 4 games know, Moore not as much, but needs to pick it up.
On one of our corners Zavaleta fell and I said to my seat neighbour "glad he's doing that in *their* box this game" - his game has been off since the last Montreal game, if not before. I'd like to see Hernandez or a healthy Hagglund get some minutes, even just to remind Eriq that he has to have some urgency to his defending.

Do we not have a left footed corner taker? Would be useful from the right corner in windy conditions, I think...

Section_105
10-16-2017, 08:44 AM
I'm going out for halloween as Left Post. damn that goal post stopped more shots than some of the players!.

The wind was freaking ridiculous. Just looking at how the streamers were flowing in multiple directions around the stadium shows that and luckily there were no Labrocca goals against us. Bono needs to learn how to kick a flat ball out like Milan Borjan when the wind is up. if you kick high, the ball slows down and the wind owns it. Side kick flat and you get much better control.

Seba always has rust after a layoff but I've never seen it that bad. Hope he pots a few in Atlanta to get the mojo back.

Really hoping this is just a dip in form and they will recover their midseason dominance as we get into the games that matter. The shield is locked up so time to get that last piece of hardware for this season. So glad we won the shield. Taking the cup will ensure there are no questions about this team in years to come.

Great TIFO's to those that built them. much respect to everyone that puts their time and energy into it. :flare::drum:

Kaz
10-16-2017, 08:57 AM

I can put the poor performance on a number of reasons.
1) they did NOT want to lose to MTL at home on the day where they get the shield presented to them - nerves got to the boys. I mean come on, it's Montreal.
2) Jozy and Bradley had some ghosts to shake off.
3) Giovinco had a bad game - although how much skill does it take to hit a post with a soccer ball twice in a row? Anyone can hit a net.... :hide:

And for those who were saying that Bono's distribution was terrible - it's always terrible. That's not his strong suit.

We got super lucky. They were missing some big pieces or it would have been a repeat.

The Issue is Montreal plays a very aggressive game against us (I mean they have literally put TFC players in the Hospital) They just run at all and try to prevent us from having time to do anything and then attack quickly on the counter.

We slowly build play and even when a counter can happen we stop wait a second and then start moving up letting them defend. Montreal is good at defending. Our Coaching staff knowing how Montreal plays has over and over again not properly prepared the team for it. Last time I think they just assumed we were better, this time I think they assumed that with Montreal out, they wouldn't play so hard. That is bad decision making. (Yes I'm biased I think while Vanney has come a long way he still makes the same mistakes particularly against pressing teams like Montreal and Seattle last December without having learned from that).

Tonight we had the add issue of the wind. It likely is the reason Gio hit both balls on the post giving it just a little too much spin and he didn't compensate. Warm Up should have had some time getting a bit of compensation for the high winds.

So tonight was a combo of improper preparation after a long break (which happens a lot with us it's been better this game not not 100%), High Winds, a Montreal side that plays hard and rough, Emotions (from Bradley and Altidore coming of their WCQ loss and Gio wanting goals).

The Pluses here is Bono was a beast. The Wind hurts both teams equally, Ganter was kept away from the pitch, and we didn't get too frustrated. The Boys kept their wits a bit better and were paying attention more than in the last game.

Atlanta will be interesting.

ManUtd4ever
10-16-2017, 09:52 AM
We weren't at our best, but we could have easily scored a few more goals with any luck.

paul-collins
10-16-2017, 09:53 AM
Tonight we had the add issue of the wind. It likely is the reason Gio hit both balls on the post giving it just a little too much spin and he didn't compensate. Warm Up should have had some time getting a bit of compensation for the high winds.

How do you suggest he do that? his penalty shot was in the North end and TFC got the south end to warm up. Shooting on the south, with the wind at your back, in no way prepares you for shooting into the wind. And there was no comparable wind in the early afternoon before the storm line ripped through, so any earlier warmup would have been moot, weatherwise.

The press that Montreal plays does disrupt our passing, and we do need to adjust for that. NYRB plays us the same... But I think the adjustment is in the form of more precision, not change of style. We were very imprecise. That's rust.

In the position the team is in, opponent-wise, everything they do now is in preparation for the week of Oct 30. We fans have to keep that in mind. Forget the record, the shield, any mind games with Atlanta this weekend. Get the groove back.

Canary10
10-16-2017, 09:57 AM
I think it's time Victor Vazquez takes over penalty duties. Giovinco hasn't been great from the spot this year.

trane
10-16-2017, 11:02 AM
The wind played havoc with the passing game and with most shots. giovinco was a bit off, but still made some great passes and runs, he earned that penalty but once he missed it once, I was not surprised that he missed it again.

I have been on the boards less then in any other season, mostly because we have finally risen to the highest I believed we could, so I am very happy with everyone. Not perfect, we got to keep on growing and improving.

My only overall criticisms is that we should have played way more compact, to avoid some of those long passes in the wind, which were routinely being cut off. Giovinco should have score on the penalty, and he has another great setup from Jozy. But we won.

MightyDM
10-16-2017, 12:28 PM
The wind played havoc with the passing game and with most shots. giovinco was a bit off, but still made some great passes and runs, he earned that penalty but once he missed it once, I was not surprised that he missed it again.

I have been on the boards less then in any other season, mostly because we have finally risen to the highest I believed we could, so I am very happy with everyone. Not perfect, we got to keep on growing and improving.

My only overall criticisms is that we should have played way more compact, to avoid some of those long passes in the wind, which were routinely being cut off. Giovinco should have score on the penalty, and he has another great setup from Jozy. But we won.

welcome back Trane! I think you are onto something here, for several games they have not a
ways been compact front to back, and are paying the price on the counter. The third Montreal goal last game when Bradley, Delgado and Vasquez were all caught up field was a good example of that. It allows our defence to be abused.

Oldtimer
10-16-2017, 04:04 PM
I think it's time Victor Vazquez takes over penalty duties. Giovinco hasn't been great from the spot this year.

You realize that Giovinco holds this year's MLS record for goals from the penalty spot?

That being said it would probably be good to have VV take a few. Giovinco is a bit rusty right now.

Oldtimer
10-16-2017, 04:09 PM
Molinaro chimes in.
http://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/toronto-fc-tfc-mls-major-league-soccer-playoffs-vanney-giovinco-bradley-altidore-vazquez/sn-amp/

notthesun
10-16-2017, 08:18 PM
I forgot to mention that Beitashour did really well off the bench I thought. He made a number of good tackles in key moments and contained Montreal's forays down his flank. Showed his value as the more defensively responsible of our two RB options. Thought it was just him and Bono who were truly sharp on the day.

khso11
10-16-2017, 08:50 PM
I forgot to mention that Beitashour did really well off the bench I thought. He made a number of good tackles in key moments and contained Montreal's forays down his flank. Showed his value as the more defensively responsible of our two RB options. Thought it was just him and Bono who were truly sharp on the day.

Agree about the Beita part, it's great that we have 2 serviceable RB on our team. But I think Bono was a bit shaky yesterday despite making a few clutch saves. He got lucky on the one in the 1st half where he tried to catch a bullet, which ended up bouncing off his chest and back to Mancosu. He was hesitant on a few occasions where he could've just throw it to an open player instead of holding it and ended up kicking it into the stands, I've seen better from him.

Canary10
10-16-2017, 09:05 PM
You realize that Giovinco holds this year's MLS record for goals from the penalty spot?

That being said it would probably be good to have VV take a few. Giovinco is a bit rusty right now.

He's 1 for 3 this year. Not even close to best in the league.

anto7
10-16-2017, 09:15 PM
Wow there sure is a lot of negative comments about the team considering they just tied the all time points record. It wasn’t a pretty performance, the conditions played a big part in that. The main thing was to get our starting 11 time together and come away with a win, we did both. I’m sure with another 90 mins together next Sunday we will be much closer to being in peak form come play off time. Remember we now get a full week of training with a full squad which we have not had in a long time so that will help big time.
We have had quite possibly the best season in league history, lets not forget that just because we didn’t play our usual fluent soccer yesterday.

Canary10
10-16-2017, 09:28 PM
Wow there sure is a lot of negative comments about the team considering they just tied the all time points record. It wasn’t a pretty performance, the conditions played a big part in that. The main thing was to get our starting 11 time together and come away with a win, we did both. I’m sure with another 90 mins together next Sunday we will be much closer to being in peak form come play off time. Remember we now get a full week of training with a full squad which we have not had in a long time so that will help big time.
We have had quite possibly the best season in league history, lets not forget that just because we didn’t play our usual fluent soccer yesterday.

This is true but it's been more like 4-5 games now rather than just one. Might mean nothing but just enough to be a bit worried going into the playoffs.

TFC Tifoso
10-17-2017, 07:40 AM
my only take is that the hallmark of all truly great teams is the ability to win when not at their best.....that is all I'll take from this stretch....

imo, this is a good thing to happen right before the playoffs....a good reminder that this is not going to be easy....I don't think for a second that the team thought so, but a tangible reminder will have the the right effect on this group, I think....

can't wait for a chance at history on the weekend, and playoffs after that.....