PDA

View Full Version : Galaxy Record

10-02-2017, 09:39 AM
How hard should TFC push for the MLS points record with two games to go knowing that the MLS playoffs are around the corner? They need 4 points to break record.

Next two games:
vs MON
@ ATL

Both games should be meaningful for the opposition. MON still has a shot at the playoffs and ATL is gunning for a bye / homefield advantage.

charlieocc
10-02-2017, 10:00 AM
I say play the starters, but more for form than the record. Sub players out early if necessary, but everyone needs to get on a roll before the playoffs

paul-collins
10-02-2017, 10:04 AM
Push for form, not for the record. I see it as charlieocc sees it.

fergiejr
10-02-2017, 10:17 AM
Yup. Samesies. Play startes, especially Seba. He needs the minutes. I would not be opposed to pulling him at half-time though.

woolly
10-02-2017, 10:24 AM
Agreed with playing for form. If we win one out of the 2 (pretty likely) we will tie the record. If we bounce out of the playoff, noone will care what a record is.

Red4ever
10-02-2017, 10:28 AM
Record + No Cup = we're a meme.

It doesn't matter at all.

OgtheDim
10-02-2017, 10:55 AM
Vanney already indicated he is running with this squad through the next two games. Seba in for Ricketts and Ricketts replaces Hamilton on the bench - but no other changes likely until CCL.

Fort York Redcoat
10-02-2017, 11:14 AM
I want the record. I'll love the meme.

TFC1154ever
10-02-2017, 11:16 AM
Would like to see Hagglund get a start over Zav or Moor against Montreal. He was our best Defender before his first injury and he will have some sort of role in playoffs. Needs to play before then. The only thing that has worried me is we have been conceding a lot recently (5 against Montreal, 2 against New England, 2 against the Red Bulls). Game against Montreal, Zav had a horrible game. Game against the Red Bulls it was Moor at fault for both goals.

Initial B
10-02-2017, 11:27 AM
The main players except Bradley have all been rested at various points through the season. Now is the time to decide on a playoff roster with starters and bench players auditioning for their roles. They should treat the Montreal game as an elimination playoff game (which it is for the Impact), but I'd be worried about showing too much of my hand against Atlanta since they may end up playing them in the Conference Championship round. That's the game I'd mix starters and periphery players. I'd like to see them win the record, though, but they might be able to pull it off regardless so long as Almiron is out for Atlanta.

Detroit_TFC
10-02-2017, 12:14 PM
Going to need the Mtl game to get everyone back on track after int'l break. Away at Atl is a question mark.

OgtheDim
10-02-2017, 12:23 PM
Hagglund looked like he could barely run when doing warm ups - one big serious brace on.

Globetrotter
10-02-2017, 12:37 PM
Vanney already indicated he is running with this squad through the next two games. Seba in for Ricketts and Ricketts replaces Hamilton on the bench - but no other changes likely until CCL.

No Jozy vs MTL. Ricketts stays in?

MightyDM
10-02-2017, 01:00 PM
Would like to see Hagglund get a start over Zav or Moor against Montreal. He was our best Defender before his first injury and he will have some sort of role in playoffs. Needs to play before then. The only thing that has worried me is we have been conceding a lot recently (5 against Montreal, 2 against New England, 2 against the Red Bulls). Game against Montreal, Zav had a horrible game. Game against the Red Bulls it was Moor at fault for both goals.

first goal was the midfields fault. Bradley was on a charge and Delgado and Vasquez both pushed up, leaving us completely exposed when we turned it over.

MightyDM
10-02-2017, 01:02 PM

Maybe Hamilton gets a chance. Or vasquez is pushed up and Osorio comes in.

TFC1154ever
10-02-2017, 01:27 PM
first goal was the midfields fault. Bradley was on a charge and Delgado and Vasquez both pushed up, leaving us completely exposed when we turned it over.

Yes very true, but that will happen a couple times over a course of a game. Your defenders need to get it right, and Moor completely fucked that up. Ball was being closed down from Moor's left and instead of keeping gap control and taking away the passing lane, he does the complete opposite. I could of made that pass how easy he made that decision for the attacker.

leafsman
10-02-2017, 02:19 PM
rather be the first to win a treble than beat the galaxy record.

OgtheDim
10-02-2017, 03:05 PM

Sorry...bad wording.

Take the 18 that was up against NYRB.

Replace Ricketts with Seba.

Put Ricketts on the bench.

Move Hamilton out of the 18.

i.e. Don't expect any changes for those two games but Seba in.

Vanney has picked his squad for the playoffs.

sidvan
10-02-2017, 03:06 PM
What is the yellow card situation? Might be good to get those cleared away so no one is on suspension for the first game of playoffs. Let them sit for Atlanta

buddies
10-02-2017, 03:37 PM
Two games to go until the playoffs. After losing two of the last three any thought of taking it easy on anyone is a kiss of death. We need to crank up the intensity to get everyone in the playoff mindset. Any pussyfooting around and we'll find ourselves out in our first round. We haven't been playing well enough to float through the next two games.

Globetrotter
10-02-2017, 03:45 PM
^agreed. We have a 2 week break now, then 2 games, then another small break as we dont play the "play-in" game. If injuries happen - so be it. Gotta go all out as if every game needs to be won.

rydermike
10-02-2017, 04:03 PM
The thing with the record is the Galaxy got 68 points in 1998, but only played 32 games. We can beat the record, but through 34 games. Through 32 games, we only have 65 points.

In addition, they had shootout points (3 points for regulation win, 1 point for shootout win, 0 points for loss or shootout loss).
The Galaxy in 32 games, had 22 wins, 2 shootout wins, 2 shootout losses, and 6 losses.
So if we account for shootout wins and losses as ties as they should've been, it should've been 70 points in 32 games for them.

grizzle
10-02-2017, 04:06 PM
I think we should play starters more for momentum going into the playoffs. Our last few games have been some of the worst this season so I think we should play them to build that momentum that will take us all the way to the cup. If we keep playing how we have the last few I don't think we have a chance at the cup.

charlieocc
10-02-2017, 04:12 PM
Jozy isn't actually suspended for the MTL game

Globetrotter
10-02-2017, 06:08 PM
Jozy isn't actually suspended for the MTL game

Pardon??? Isn't he on yellow accumulation and misses the next league game (therefore MTL)?? What do you mean?

charlieocc
10-02-2017, 06:44 PM
Pardon??? Isn't he on yellow accumulation and misses the next league game (therefore MTL)?? What do you mean?
Nope, TSN crew was wrong. He lost a yellow card due to the Good Behaviour rule, so he's good until the playoffs.
https://twitter.com/plattoli/status/914918579530854400

Globetrotter
10-02-2017, 07:53 PM
Nope, TSN crew was wrong. He lost a yellow card due to the Good Behaviour rule, so he's good until the playoffs.
https://twitter.com/plattoli/status/914918579530854400

Interesting. It said they drop a yellow. That would just mean he would be 2 away from getting a suspension? If he were to earn a yellow vs MTL then ATL, he would miss a playoff game?

charlieocc
10-02-2017, 08:47 PM
Interesting. It said they drop a yellow. That would just mean he would be 2 away from getting a suspension? If he were to earn a yellow vs MTL then ATL, he would miss a playoff game?
He's 2 away from a suspension but they're wiped before the playoffs so he's in the clear

Oldtimer
10-02-2017, 09:03 PM
The thing with the record is the Galaxy got 68 points in 1998, but only played 32 games. We can beat the record, but through 34 games. Through 32 games, we only have 65 points.

In addition, they had shootout points (3 points for regulation win, 1 point for shootout win, 0 points for loss or shootout loss).
The Galaxy in 32 games, had 22 wins, 2 shootout wins, 2 shootout losses, and 6 losses.
So if we account for shootout wins and losses as ties as they should've been, it should've been 70 points in 32 games for them.

Those calculations are true, but a valid response to that is that any MLS 1.0 (prior to 2007) records are meaningless anyways because the league was so inferior to what it is today that it is like bringing in records from the USL and saying that TFC has to beat those.

No DPs, no TAM, very low budgets, very poor defending, no academies or second teams, generally a very budget league.

Even a relatively poor team like Philly today would absolutely destroy that 1998 Galaxy team.

Cuppy
10-02-2017, 09:03 PM
After just reading Michael Bradley's letter I say go for the record. Oh Captain My Captain

Hamilton_Red
10-02-2017, 10:20 PM
One game at a time. After the last Mtl game we have no option about going out and eliminating them from the play-offs. There are a fair amount of rest weeks in the play-offs so I wouldn't be worried unless there was a real injury. Going out an sending a message to Atlanta on their own turf will be a good psychological move. I'd go for re-establishing momentum. Getting Gio game fit and playing well is the most important factor for an MLS Cup win. Sending him out when there rest of the key players are resting won't help him one bit. We have the deepest squad...we can cope of there is a late injury.

ScarboroughRed
10-03-2017, 08:26 AM
Bring out our playoff squad to beat Montreal to (a) knock them out FOR GOOD (b) avenge our only home loss.

Go to Atlanta and possibly bench a mix of Bradley, Giovinco, Altidore and Vasquez. Bring some of them on in the second half to keep fresh and get a feel for the turf.

If we do that, we at least tie the record and stay healthy. If things break our way, even with a less than full strength team in Atlanta we may be able to get a tie and hit 69 points. Job done.

Oldtimer
10-03-2017, 10:02 AM
Go to Atlanta and possibly bench a mix of Bradley, Giovinco, Altidore and Vasquez. Bring some of them on in the second half to keep fresh and get a feel for the turf.

If we do that, we at least tie the record and stay healthy. If things break our way, even with a less than full strength team in Atlanta we may be able to get a tie and hit 69 points. Job done.

Start with Bradley, Giovinco, Altidore and Vasquez. Score early, force Atlanta to open up. After TFC is up a few goals, then rotate.

RealG-TFC
10-03-2017, 10:08 AM
We should go for a win in Atlanta. As healthy as we might have to be the playoffs is all about momentum.

Alixir
10-03-2017, 10:08 AM
We have enough depth that we do not need to risk important starters and still push for the record.

JT Red127
10-03-2017, 10:18 AM
We dont have a congested schedule to finish the year, other than being a little worried about how much Bradley has played all year I dont think you treat the final two games any different than the playoffs. Just go, play and win. If its 3-0 then maybe you sub someone off a little earlier, 60 min instead of 70-75.

Canary10
10-03-2017, 12:26 PM
We'll have a good amount of recovery time after our last regular season game too. One ofnthe advantages of finishing first. Beating Atlanta away would be a nice statement to teams thinking we looked mortal the last few weeks.

flatpicker
10-03-2017, 12:30 PM
We'll have a good amount of recovery time after our last regular season game too. One ofnthe advantages of finishing first. Beating Atlanta away would be a nice statement to teams thinking we looked mortal the last few weeks.

That's how I look at it.
We have a break now before Montreal.
So play the A-Team.

We have a break before out first playoff game,
So play the A-Team in Atlanta.

But I wouldn't take risks.
If someone is still recovering, then don't push them into the lineup.
And I definitely want to see Cheyrou and Hagglund get minutes.

Hamilton_Red
10-03-2017, 11:31 PM
After today - Atlanta will finish 3rd likely and will have a knock out game 3 days after the game with us. Likely that Atlanta will be resting all their best players for this one. Might as well go for the record and take off our key players at half time.

OgtheDim
10-04-2017, 06:19 AM
If Atlanta doesn't get a win against NYRB, they will need to get a win versus us to guarantee a home playoff game.

They will not be sitting starters.

spe18
10-05-2017, 10:58 PM
Another potential factor is the league forcing Bradley and Altidore - 2 current USMNTers to at least start, especially now with 70,000+ seats sold.

Cas87
10-10-2017, 10:56 AM
I am more worried about the USMNT game in T&T tonight with the water logged pitch.

https://league-mp7static.mlsdigital.net/styles/image_landscape/s3/images/USMNT-at-watery-Ato-Bolden.jpg?0U2b4Ci2GwnwVv_GNx_RqGp0MYDQCppV&itok=dd-B35Tb&c=8aa2dc663a67763c475b899b4b6e04dc

Fort York Redcoat
10-15-2017, 09:14 AM
I'll be checking back here after todays match to see which way the poll moves.

Red CB Toronto
10-16-2017, 08:43 AM
Go all out for it next Sunday in Atlanta thus head into the post season on a high note !!!

trane
10-16-2017, 10:56 AM
Winning the supporter shield, and proofing to be the best team ever in the MLS, would beat an MLS Cup in my books. We have to go for it. Plus we need to keep it rolling, and Giovinco is a bit rusty.

Redcoe15
10-16-2017, 11:28 AM
Us fans to TFC getting the best MLS regular season side ever:

http://i.imgur.com/p5tBXZO.jpg

trane
10-16-2017, 01:07 PM
Those calculations are true, but a valid response to that is that any MLS 1.0 (prior to 2007) records are meaningless anyways because the league was so inferior to what it is today that it is like bringing in records from the USL and saying that TFC has to beat those.

No DPs, no TAM, very low budgets, very poor defending, no academies or second teams, generally a very budget league.

Even a relatively poor team like Philly today would absolutely destroy that 1998 Galaxy team.

This exactly what I think about it. Even 2007 MLS is not what 2017 is. Never mind 1998.

MartinUtd
10-16-2017, 01:10 PM
I say go for it but I'm more interesting in seeing first team form than I am in breaking the record. Both would be nice though :D