PDA

View Full Version : CFL Commisioner Coments on Argos and BMO

Phil
07-31-2008, 03:20 PM
Thanks to SweetOwnGoal for finding this.

http://www.fan590.com/media.jsp?content=20080731_105949_11028

If you thought it was dead, think again.

They talk about things pertaining to us around the middle.

Now they want to hold high school games at BMO :mad:

Toronto Ruffrider
07-31-2008, 03:23 PM
Honestly, the CFL commissioner should mind his own business. If the Argos want to play at a publicly-funded stadium, how does the Skydome sound?!

As for high school games, why would BMO be needed? All you need is a green patch of land and you're good to go.

McBrace
07-31-2008, 03:25 PM
Roger Center was publicly funded but now is privately owned, no?

Northern Soul
07-31-2008, 03:27 PM

Indeed, by Rogers.

Toronto Ruffrider
07-31-2008, 03:28 PM

You mean the Skydome, right?;) Yes, the 'Dome is now privately owned. However, a hundreds of millions of taxpayers' dollars were poured into the 'Dome, and the Argos have been playing there since '89. It's not as if the Boatmen can claim that TFC is getting special treatment.

Toronto Ruffrider
07-31-2008, 03:28 PM
Indeed, by Rogers.

I think we should avoid using the 'R' word whenever possible.

TFC07
07-31-2008, 03:29 PM
But BMO field isn't 100% public funded. MLSE pitched in some money as well.

Besides, BMO field was built for soccer, not Canadian football.

olegunnar
07-31-2008, 03:33 PM
This publicly funded crap is horse poo.

The Olympic Park in Calgary was publicly funded...why can't we can't we turn the luge course into a giant waterslide? That would R O C K Rock! That ones for you section 117!

The New Opera House was publicly funded...why can't I as a tax payer see strippers perform on stage. How about some jello wrestling? It was my tax money!! It's got seats, a stage...it fits the bill.

Who paid for the 401? I know! Tax payers! I think we should close it and have a giant flea market every Sunday.

Just because something is publicly funded doesn't mean it's a free for all for usage.

BMO is the National Soccer Stadium. The luge course is for luge. The Opera House is for Opera. The 401 is for traffic. What's so hard to understand?

DigzTFC!
I don't usually listen to Mike Toth. Is he usually that big of a loud mouth?

"Excuse me soccer fans, but TFC has been around for year and a half and the Argos are one the oldest franchises. Give it a rest!" Mike Toth

I really can't believe this comment by him because he has written articles on TFC. Does he just play to his audience or is he really just a fucking idiot

Toronto Ruffrider
But BMO field isn't 100% public funded. MLSE pitched in some money as well.

Besides, BMO field was built for soccer, not Canadian football.

Yes, MLSE did chip in money, while the Argos jumped in favour of Teddy's sweet deal at the 'Dome. No risk, no reward. For the Argos to get in on BMO Field now would be like buying a stock after its price shot through the roof, and expecting to pay the original low price.

Toronto Ruffrider
07-31-2008, 03:35 PM
I don't usually listen to Mike Toth. Is he usually that big of a loud mouth?

"Excuse me soccer fans, but TFC has been around for year and a half and the Argos are one the oldest franchises. Give it a rest!" Mike Toth

I really can't believe this comment by him because he has written articles on TFC. Does he just play to his audience or is he really just a fucking idiot

A little of both I would think.

Jay P
07-31-2008, 03:35 PM
i hope the bills move to the rogers centre and kill off the cfl.

Toronto Ruffrider
07-31-2008, 03:36 PM

The Olympic Park in Calgary was publicly funded...why can't we can't we turn the luge course into a giant waterslide? That would R O C K Rock! That ones for you section 117!

The New Opera House was publicly funded...why can't I as a tax payer see strippers perform on stage. How about some jello wrestling? It was my tax money!! It's got seats, a stage...it fits the bill.

Who paid for the 401? I know! Tax payers! I think we should close it and have a giant flea market every Sunday.

Just because something is publicly funded doesn't mean it's a free for all for usage.

BMO is the National Soccer Stadium. The luge course is for luge. The Opera House is for Opera. The 401 is for traffic. What's so hard to understand?

I wouldn't mind biking on the 401. Get the Darwin Award ready...

olegunnar
07-31-2008, 03:40 PM
I wouldn't mind biking on the 401. Get the Darwin Award ready...

Bikes have been around longer than cars.
Using Mike Toth's logic...get your helmet out it's time to bike ride on the 401! Sorry commuters...bikes have been around longer

werewolf
07-31-2008, 03:43 PM
Using Mike Toth's logic...get your helmet out it's time to bike ride on the 401! Sorry commuters...bikes have been around longer

You have just trumped the 'older franchise' and 'taxpayers money' arguments at the same time :lol:

Batman
07-31-2008, 03:43 PM

BEST ARGUMENTS EVER! FANTASTIC!!!

mclaren
07-31-2008, 03:44 PM

Perfectly put.

McBrace
07-31-2008, 03:46 PM
I think it's a load of shit myself, the ARGO's should stay put. The problem is they're looking at how Montreal pointy ball is a hot ticket, cause of the move to a smaller venue. It makes it look exciting on TV and sadly, the MLSE only See $$$$$$

McBrace
07-31-2008, 03:48 PM

I think everyone here understands this clearly, the FAN has exhausted the Sundin talks and now they need to focus on something else. I hate that fucking station. :cool:

MG42

Please send this to every media outlet in Toronto, it's brilliant...and yes DigzTFC! Mike toth is a loudmouth trying to have a Bob McCowan impact but he's a total douche. I can't stand is incoherent ramblings like "when I was a goalie playing Junior D in Alberta for the Wheat Shafts, well it was cold and I would always tell my teamates, well at least you guys can skate around to keep warm, I'm stuck in this net"

yellowfellow
I think that's what the CFL wants but not necessary what they will get.

In order for Argos to go to BMO, BMO needs expansion. In order for that to happen, Argos has to get the city to approve it first. Would the city provide fundings just so that Argos can move? By the time the city decides (maybe 5 years later), the Bills would be in town and nobody will care about the Argos.

Here is another point. BMO is expected to expand to 25000-30000 seats by 2010. A move the city will do in a heartbeat because it generates more money from BMO field. By then, it will cost more to remove all those new seats so that the field can accomodate CFL football.

The idea of Argos moving to BMO is just a way to get a better rental deal at Skydome.

McBrace
07-31-2008, 03:54 PM
I think that's what the CFL wants but not necessary what they will get.

In order for Argos to go to BMO, BMO needs expansion. In order for that to happen, Argos has to get the city to approve it first. Would the city provide fundings just so that Argos can move? By the time the city decides (maybe 5 years later), the Bills would be in town and nobody will care about the Argos.

Here is another point. BMO is expected to expand to 25000-30000 seats by 2010. A move the city will do in a heartbeat because it generates more money from BMO field. By then, it will cost more to remove all those new seats so that the field can accomodate CFL football.

The idea of Argos moving to BMO is just a way to get a better rental deal at Skydome.

So we hope and maybe led to believe! :noidea:

I hope the City understands that the Bills are going now where fast, way too much history and Red Tape to move it. The other issue is who in the hell is going to use the giant concrete fish bowl? Baseball and Monster truck shit! The building will be neglected, and end up looking like crap!

AL-MO
07-31-2008, 04:00 PM

Good argument, but I thought this was the funniest part!:smilielol5:

RealG-TFC
07-31-2008, 05:28 PM
The Argos don't even deserve a stadium anymore. They just missed their chance with the PanAms. The Feds, the province, the city and ROGERS will fund a stadium for the PanAms.

Red CB Toronto
07-31-2008, 05:41 PM
Rogers and MLSE are partners

AL-MO
07-31-2008, 05:48 PM
I honestly don't mind the Skydome. Thats where the Argo's belong. Not at BMO.

Draracle
07-31-2008, 05:55 PM
this deal is far from over. If the Argos front the cash, the city will say yes. They don't really have a choice. The only real hope for us is that the cost required to change the stadium and the rather small size of the stadium will deter them. I believe moving stands at the south end would cost $11 mill, or something like that. Then they have to put another level on the east side, which would cost even more. Suddenly you are playing 30 million or more and still only seating 25000ish. Average attendance is 30k, and I have been there with 45k.

The MLSE is really our only saviour here. If they are convinced that this move will be bad for their pocketbook then they will stop it. They are the only party with the power to prevent this from happening.

Oh, and we can kiss our dream of grass goodbye. Unless we have a removable grass field -- which would solve the problem of lines on the field.

jabbronies
07-31-2008, 05:56 PM
It's great that the argos have been around for so long. However, they did fuck up the original plan for a Football/soocer stadium a few years back..no?

They are in this position becuase of themselves.

AL-MO
07-31-2008, 06:03 PM
It's great that the argos have been around for so long. However, they did fuck up the original plan for a Football/soocer stadium a few years back..no?

They are in this position becuase of themselves.

Indeed they did my friend. I am an American Football fan, but thats why I have no sympathy for them.

EDIT: And I don't have a major problem with them playing highschool finals and big college games at BMO. Its a Soccer stadium, USE IT FOR THAT!

Sonny Cheeba
07-31-2008, 06:15 PM
"60-70% of revenues are from ticket sales"

then focus on filling more seats at skydome.

morons.

Phil
07-31-2008, 06:26 PM

morons.

I had a similar thought - free rent, 50 000 seats... umm give some seats away, and sell the other 40 000 seats.

No wonder why the CFL has trouble with some of its franchises with asshats like this guy as the commisioner.

ag futbol
07-31-2008, 06:29 PM

morons.
Ya really though.

One has to wonder, what does our contract say about having a SSS? Surely business people as crafty as MLSE must have put in some provision to prevent being railroaded into something that would hurt their bottom line.

redcard
07-31-2008, 06:32 PM
Indeed they did my friend. I am an American Football fan, but thats why I have no sympathy for them.

EDIT: And I don't have a major problem with them playing highschool finals and big college games at BMO. Its a Soccer stadium, USE IT FOR THAT!

brilliant!!! could you imagine having your highschool soccer(OFSAA) final at BMO! that would be fuckin unreal....we need to make that happen, more footie in the stadium is needed....

how do we get to happen?

AL-MO
07-31-2008, 06:36 PM
brilliant!!! could you imagine having your highschool soccer(OFSAA) final at BMO! that would be fuckin unreal....we need to make that happen, more footie in the stadium is needed....

how do we get to happen?

Good question....although the booking would go through MLSE, I am sure some kind of agreement with the City would help to get these games in there.

ExiledRed
07-31-2008, 07:30 PM

how do we get to happen?

For the love of god.

This stadium is supposed to be the home stadium for a professional soccer team. Putting high school teams and the like in there, when they really don't need a multi million dollar facility only serves to cheapen the team, it's image and the pitch.

It's not true that Field Turf can take any abuse either, it deteriorates with extended use and abuse like absolutely anything else.

Sonny Cheeba
07-31-2008, 07:34 PM
the highschool stuff would just be for championship games and ofsaa. maybe the odd tournament. i don't see the difference between that and what's happening now where you can buy kickabout time. makes TFC look better within the community.

i think it's a good idea. better idea if it was real grass. round football only of course.

Jack
07-31-2008, 07:34 PM
Let's talk about what we're going to do about this. For real this time.

http://www.redpatchboys.ca/forums/showthread.php?t=4097

AL-MO
07-31-2008, 07:37 PM
For the love of god.

This stadium is supposed to be the home stadium for a professional soccer team. Putting high school teams and the like in there, when they really don't need a multi million dollar facility only serves to cheapen the team, it's image and the pitch.

It's not true that Field Turf can take any abuse either, it deteriorates with extended use and abuse like absolutely anything else.

So whats a few extra games a year? The suggestion is not to have any old game there. We are talking finals and big games. It would probably be a handful of games at best.

Didn't Paul McCartney have a concert @ Anfield this past year? SACRILIGE!!

EDIT: This is also about developing Soccer/Football in this country. I don't see anything wrong with a few ofsaa games, considering they rent the place out to any schmo right now.

redcard
07-31-2008, 08:13 PM
the highschool stuff would just be for championship games and ofsaa. maybe the odd tournament. i don't see the difference between that and what's happening now where you can buy kickabout time. makes TFC look better within the community.

i think it's a good idea. better idea if it was real grass. round football only of course.

having more real football matches @ BMO and people will finally start looking at it as a National Soccer Stadium...

OFSAA is a great way to do this...girls and boys finals means more fans of football and TFC!

SLBuu
07-31-2008, 08:16 PM
they already play football on the field........ just like we have rented BMO to play some futebol others have rented BMO for try outs and football games in general.

RealG-TFC
07-31-2008, 08:21 PM
having more real football matches @ BMO and people will finally start looking at it as a National Soccer Stadium...

OFSAA is a great way to do this...girls and boys finals means more fans of football and TFC!

Isn't this what Lamport's for?

graeme117
07-31-2008, 08:36 PM

please don't put that on all of 117... :taz: ... i still don't get why the corner is supporting our lacrosse team at a football match

Sry :topic:

rocker
07-31-2008, 08:42 PM
i still don't get how this would be financially better for the Argos.
They move from one stadium they don't own, to another stadium they don't own.
They can't get naming rights fees since the stadium isn't theirs and BMO has that locked up. They would lose preferential dates to TFC (a complaint they had a couple years ago with the dome owners).

I guess the cost of doing business at BMO would be cheaper, but the cost of expanding it probably would end up evening it all out. Cohon talks in that interview about how it's "owned by the city".. but people don't realize that means nothing really. It's ownership in name only. MLSE is the big player here -- they operate it. The Argos can't just bribe the mayor and get it done... MLSE has to sign off on it.

maybe MLSE could get somebody else to pay for the expansion, and then benefit from that, but MLSE isn't gonna fork the money out. The city won't. The biggest contributors, the feds and the provincial gov, won't. The Argos are so cheap their practice buildings at the U of T Mississauga are 11 year old portables. Where the money is gonna come from I dunno. The city can't be too worried about this -- Argos get 30000+ already at Skydome, and it's not like the team is threatening a move to Halifax, so what's the point for the city? 10 more home dates? TFC can fill that with friendlies, Canada Cup, Champions League (ya, if they win next year!).

everyone here has already mentioned the nice publicly funded stadium they already have... and I'm not sure how leaving one publicly funded stadium to move to another is morally better (as the self-righteous "taxpayer people" seem to think). Don't pull that "I'm a taxpayer" argument on us. The Argos have had three taxpayer funded stadiums in their history, by my count, including one that's considered "world class".

I think if this is to stop, Argo fans who like the Skydome need to be mobilized. get them riled up so they put pressure on their own front office.

ag futbol
07-31-2008, 08:57 PM
When it comes down to it i think they are scared Rogers is going to bring the NFL and litterly put the Argos in the turf (zing!).

I don't see how both teams can survive if it happens. The city should consider that if they want to tie themselves to potential deadweight.

heather
07-31-2008, 09:04 PM
Thanks for posting this!

I would not have heard it otherwise

kitchener-TFC
07-31-2008, 09:27 PM

:canada: FUCK YEAH!
This whole "Just because it's publicly funded means that everyone can use it" is fucking bull shite. Hey, why doesn't the ttc park its buses on the pitch? It's publicly funded, so the ttc can do it!
Better yet, the city can dump its garbage in the field to solve its garbage problem.
This whole "publicly funded=everyone" is communism:mad:.

Why bike, when you can walk? Legs have been around longer than bikes.

greatwhitenorf
07-31-2008, 11:46 PM
Maybe this would be a good time to bring out some Mike Toth stories, like why the former Calgary Hitmen play-by-play man pissed away a career doing junior hockey telecasts on Sportsnet. Now we're stuck with the repugnant Peter Lou-Lardy-Ass.

Seems the Tother was getting ready for a telecast a few years back and was told some inside information about a rising hockey prospect. It wasn't positive material. He never bothered to check it out and related the information during the course of a telecast.

Turned out it was totally false and grounds for slander and defamation lawsuits against himself, the network and the junior hockey leagues. He was immediately yanked from any further telecasts and banished to more sterile environs where he couldn't cause any more trouble.

So now the Tother haunts the railings along the standing room areas at the top of local junior hockey arenas, a sad, forlorn, often unshaven figure. Or hangs out at Christie Pits when the Leafs are playing Inter County baseball games. Wears a baseball cap often.

Go on. Harass the bastard. Send him back to West Bugfart, Alberta, where he belongs.

Roogsy
07-31-2008, 11:54 PM
Thank god all of you guys who didn't want to protest were right that this issue was dead!

Where would we be without you guys?

Oh yeah! Probably better off!

Douchebags.

Mojo
08-01-2008, 01:56 AM
MLS is requiring all teams to be playing out of SOCCER specific stadiums.

Couldn't the Argos playing at BMO be considered a breach of contract?

Psycho-Kid
08-01-2008, 04:16 AM
and it is the way it should be im sick and tired of organizations think its ok to be stepping on our shoes there all pissed off now that we are getting way more attention if you think about it they want to hurt us i honestly think they want to move here to try and bring our popularity down there also pissed off that at the fact Canada is actually getting more involved with footy

Keystone FC
08-01-2008, 05:43 AM
MLS is requiring all teams to be playing out of SOCCER specific stadiums.

Couldn't the Argos playing at BMO be considered a breach of contract?

Except for Seattle.:rolleyes:

Keystone FC
08-01-2008, 05:50 AM
For the love of god.

Actually a pro team and the National team but since the CSA is a bunch of pansies and want to play games in Montreal it's not seen as the Canadian Soccer Stadium that it was suppose to be. This is where the CSA (If it were strong) could step in and tell the city and the Argos...NO! You're not having the Argos move in. It's a soccer SPECIFIC stadium. If you want to have high school and college/university soccer games go right ahead but we are not allowing Throw Ball at BMO.
:canada:

Roogsy
08-01-2008, 07:33 AM
I swear...if this Argos thing happens and we can't stop it...I saw we all boo Miller when he gets into his seat. At the end of the day it's both the City and MLSE's fault if this happens and both need to hear it from us.

And again...thanks for joining the protest you ambivalent a-holes.

boban
08-01-2008, 08:34 AM
I do.

greatwhitenorf
08-01-2008, 09:28 AM
Just to serve up a reminder about the weasely nature of the Argos. They shape-shifted out of two prior deals to build stadiums at U of T and York, leaving soccer people holding the bag.

About 5 or 7 years ago, they were also supposed to be working with U of T to take over Lamport Stadium and completely renovate or rebuild it to give both parties a place to play their football games.

That worked out well, didn't it?

Every time this outfit is asked to pony up bucks to support themselves, they slither out and go carpetbagging. Now they're facing a very shaky future with the NFL eyeballing Toronto big time. Don't trust them, don't let them wreck a great soccer stadium in the vain hope they'll somehow survive.

Put them out of their misery!

RealG-TFC
08-01-2008, 10:16 AM
I swear...if this Argos thing happens and we can't stop it...I saw we all boo Miller when he gets into his seat. At the end of the day it's both the City and MLSE's fault if this happens and both need to hear it from us.

And again...thanks for joining the protest you ambivalent a-holes.

I doubt Miller could stop it even if he tried. Isn't up to the coucil?

AL-MO
08-01-2008, 02:35 PM
I do.

For what reason?

FluSH and I went to do measurements for banners, and they had frisbee playing on the field!!!

What would you rather have? The free for all that it is now? Or TFC, CMNT and a few big High School/College games.

This isn't Europe. We have a big time shortage of facilities.

I_AM_CANADIAN
08-01-2008, 02:38 PM
They themselves backed out of a plan for a soccer/Argos stadium at York University. Now that the city and MLSE had to front the bucks for it, though, they suddenly want in.

Roogsy
08-01-2008, 02:44 PM
Let's say they did kick in the 30mill.

All of a sudden, a 62 million dollar stadium becomes a 92 million dollar stadium.

And I don't know about you, but I am not going to be happy with a stadium that cost 50% more but looks exactly the same (or perish the thought, looks worse).

Had they kicked in the 30mill at the beginning of the process...I am guessing we would have been able to have a stadium that looks better than anything else in MLS.

RealG-TFC
08-01-2008, 03:52 PM
Like I said before, make them build an "intimate" cheap stadium. Like Bright House Networks stadium. 54 million. I'd imagine it would cost a bit more cause of the land

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/0/0d/Bhnspregame.JPG/800px-Bhnspregame.JPG

olegunnar
08-01-2008, 03:55 PM
Let's say they did kick in the 30mill.

All of a sudden, a 62 million dollar stadium becomes a 92 million dollar stadium.

And I don't know about you, but I am not going to be happy with a stadium that cost 50% more but looks exactly the same (or perish the thought, looks worse).

Had they kicked in the 30mill at the beginning of the process...I am guessing we would have been able to have a stadium that looks better than anything else in MLS.

And for what end? It's not like the Argo's future is very stable. Once the NFL comes the Argos will have to move to Ottawa. So they drop 30 million bucks for 4-5 years of stadium usage?

grimm
08-02-2008, 12:01 PM
FUCK THE CITY, we payed $600 000 000 to build that dump, they sold it to Inter-bru, for less than half, who in turn sold it to Teddy over there for $25 million. What a hose job, how much without the building do you think that land is worth? He can build them a little stadium to put their fans in.

Kickit09
08-02-2008, 12:14 PM
you know what. i dont follow the argos but i dont hate them. if they move into BMO field, than i will HATE them. STAY THE FUCK AWAY FROM BMO ARGOS!