PDA

View Full Version : Match Day 31 - TFC @ NER Saturday September 23rd 5pm - Peace of Mind

OgtheDim
09-21-2017, 05:43 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WGRrOEbY3pI

The brave man is not he who does not feel afraid, but he who conquers that fear.

Have at it People

Initial B
09-21-2017, 06:07 AM
I'm still worried about this game. Considering how thuggish the Revs played their last two games, I'm worried about injuries to our key players.

<edit: And another thing - they just installed new turf *again* at Foxboro, players are desperate, and they also have a new coach that could get the "new coach bounce". This has all the markings of another trap game. TFC needs to treat all the remaining games as playoff games, expecially as these games could literally knock their opponents out of the playoff picture. Vanney should be starting to get the team to ramp up it's intensity by knocking Montreal, and NER out of the playoffs.>

BelfastBoy
09-21-2017, 07:08 AM
I'd be happy with a 1-1 draw here.

SoccMan2
09-21-2017, 08:57 AM
I see another shit show if without Giovinco and Altidore and possibly Vasquez, soccer or any sport that has playoffs is about momentum, and if they go on a slump this late in the season things could get worrying , if this team is really the best team ever they rebound that's what good teams do. You don't follow one shit show with another one if you are really good, the Barcelona's the Real Madrid's of the world may have a bad game here and there but then are able to rebound right away, let's see how TFC response.

molenshtain
09-21-2017, 11:12 AM
Let's all remind ourselves that the Revs are shite and just fired their coach. This will be the easiest of the three games played this week.

Globetrotter
09-21-2017, 11:21 AM
We never, ever, play well in NE. If we have VV, we should walk away with a win. If we dont have him, we may settle for a tie.

A win here works on so many levels.

--It puts our magic number to 2 points for the shield, meaning NYCFC must win out entirely... no ties or losses.
--The win could also buy us three full weeks of not having to use Altidore/Gio... we could rest them vs NYRB (and lose without much implication), and those 3 points help keep MTL further out of reach of the playoffs. We already lost once at home, so losing at home here to NYRB isn't the end of the world.
--Altidore/Gio are rested for a full month and come back for two REALLY good tests for us leading into the playoffs, MTL at home, and a flying fast ATL team.

A win this weekend is almost the perfect scenario for us long term.

Jack
09-21-2017, 12:18 PM
I just want to get out of there with no injuries. A win would be nice, but I'd be fine with a draw.

OgtheDim
09-21-2017, 01:41 PM
https://twitter.com/lauraarmy/status/910936289746317313

https://twitter.com/lauraarmy/status/910936475516178432

ensco
09-21-2017, 05:33 PM
^Something tells me Vanney is chumming the league office on this. I bet Altidore stays home, maybe all five stay in TO this weekend

Then we go full strength and all out for the last two home games, on grass, to get ready

Then we send last nights team to Atlanta to close out (ex Bradley, who takes a yellow against Montreal so that he also misses Atlanta)

Oldtimer
09-21-2017, 05:40 PM
^^ good news.

If VV was good enough for the bench, he should be up for 90 minutes in NE, which will make things totally different than with Montréal.

I expect Altidore to maybe play 30 minutes. Newer turf is not linked to higher rates of hamstring injuries, though it does increase the risk of ACL tears.

No way Giovinco is risked on this with his quad issues.

I expect the Reds to come away with a tie.

OgtheDim
09-21-2017, 06:36 PM
Vasquez was interviewed today. Sounded like he is going. It was a fever, not anything else.

Auzzy
09-21-2017, 09:07 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WGRrOEbY3pI

Have at it People

Just wanted to say, love that song (and the whole album). I was growing up in the Boston area when that album was big.

nonc
09-21-2017, 09:13 PM
Feels like we haven't won there since Matias Laba.

rydermike
09-21-2017, 09:19 PM
I feel Vasquez will be the difference maker. Honestly, as great as Giovinco is, Vasquez to me is the most important player on the team. While Giovinco is an amazing talent, and can single-handedly make plays, Vasquez just makes everyone look two notches better than they are with his vision and playmaking, case in point, we scored 4 goals with him two games ago and being without Seba and Jozy seemed irrelevant.

PizzaEatingYeti
09-21-2017, 11:21 PM
Let's all remind ourselves that the Revs are shite and just fired their coach. This will be the easiest of the three games played this week.
You're kidding, right?

Right now the Galaxy is by far the worst team of this league, that was by far our easiest game of the week.
Compared to Galaxy New England are world beaters.

Add to this that New England has turf and the Galaxy had real pitch.

Derko
09-22-2017, 07:06 AM
^Something tells me Vanney is chumming the league office on this. I bet Altidore stays home, maybe all five stay in TO this weekend

Then we go full strength and all out for the last two home games, on grass, to get ready

Then we send last nights team to Atlanta to close out (ex Bradley, who takes a yellow against Montreal so that he also misses Atlanta)

All of TFC should have been taking yellows on Wednesday night, the ref was calling nothing and TFC just couldn't take any liberties with IMFC. TFC are playing very soft lately.
AND SHOOT THE FUCKING BALL at the net FFS. Someone on TFC has to make a statement There rant over, just beat the shit out of NE

ensco
09-22-2017, 07:30 AM
All of TFC should have been taking yellows on Wednesday night, the ref was calling nothing and TFC just couldn't take any liberties with IMFC. TFC are playing very soft lately....
just beat the shit out of NE

Sorry but I think this is totally wrong. These are exhibition games against desperate teams.

I saw the same thing,TFC were soft, and I applaud the stance (it was really obvious on a play late when Bradley could have stepped up to get a ball that Piatti won in a dangerous spot, but he just bailed out instead)

I hope they stay soft in NE. I could care less about how they look, or the result.

Get in, get out, no injuries, no problem.

Use the home games on grass, with Seba and Altidore back, to get back to full out soccer.

Oldtimer
09-22-2017, 08:18 AM
Vanney interview yesterday hinted that Jozy could be back.

Still Kicking
09-22-2017, 10:34 AM
All of TFC should have been taking yellows on Wednesday night, the ref was calling nothing and TFC just couldn't take any liberties with IMFC. TFC are playing very soft lately.
AND SHOOT THE FUCKING BALL at the net FFS. Someone on TFC has to make a statement There rant over, just beat the shit out of NE

Fully agree on the lack of shooting....without Seba or Jozy or VV, there is an alarming lack of shooters on TFC - too often it is a pass to set up a pass to set up yet another pass AND NOBODY HAS THE HUNGER TO HAMMER THE BALL or the quickness to get into a turn and fire position.

ag futbol
09-22-2017, 12:35 PM
Not sure if already mentioned but they canned jay heaps.

Detroit_TFC
09-22-2017, 01:08 PM
Just wanted to say, love that song (and the whole album). I was growing up in the Boston area when that album was big.

Yep, been my go-to summer jam for many years. Love to blast that album out of the car windows on a nice day.

Canary10
09-22-2017, 02:40 PM
[/U]

Fully agree on the lack of shooting....without Seba or Jozy or VV, there is an alarming lack of shooters on TFC - too often it is a pass to set up a pass to set up yet another pass AND NOBODY HAS THE HUNGER TO HAMMER THE BALL or the quickness to get into a turn and fire position.

Just a reminder, our attack was not the problem on Wednesday....

noimpactinmtl
09-22-2017, 02:55 PM

Cant get decent shots if your midfield can’t string together possessions into the MTL third.

MightyDM
09-22-2017, 04:10 PM
my date for the senior prom was Marianne. Unfortunately, she walked away. My friends played that song again and again and again...

MightyDM
09-22-2017, 04:16 PM

exactly. Should have had six goals, Spencer alone should have had a hat trick, he was wide open on those headers. We were shredding them, but kept completely screwing up. What was the problem, in order, was Z awful back pass Bono screw up 0-1; Z lose ball cheaply Bradley fail to close down Bono fail to save when got hand on it 0-2; Bradley lose ball Z fall down 0-3; B awful backpass 1-4 and complete collapse starting with Spencer giveaway 1-5.

it was like the Twilight zone.

MightyDM
09-22-2017, 04:54 PM
Cant get decent shots if your midfield can’t string together possessions into the MTL third.

The stats show that we dominated possession and had the most shots. So we controlled the game, except for two statistics that really jump out: duels won and tackles. We were soft, as Ensco points out. But that's bad. We can't let that creep into our game. If injuries are the worry, play other players.

Another issue for me was players playingwho don't fit the up tempo system: Cooper, unfortunately because I think he deserved a chance, and Spencer.

lets hope it was a complete aberration. And they sure as hell will be hungry tomorrow.

General Woolfe
09-22-2017, 06:55 PM
i'm starting to get worried how long f a rest Giovinco needs for this current injury. I know Foxborough turf isnt the place to make his return, but we need him up to speed for the playoffs. I really hope we are in the position to play our best eleven in Atlanta and get a result in the last game of the regular season. We need to send a message in that game should we end up facing them in the playoffs

Red CB Toronto
09-23-2017, 06:16 AM
Tonight is going to be legen-- wait for it-- and I hope you're not lactose intolerant, because the second half of the word is-- dary! Legendary!

OgtheDim
09-23-2017, 01:52 PM
The ref for this one is Allan Kelly. Which usually, but not always, means a lot let go at first and then a second half crackdown including a few yellows for stuff that didn't even warrant a foul in the first half.

Derko
09-23-2017, 02:20 PM
Just win the game, ugly or beautiful just win the game. :scarf::drinking::flare::drum:

PizzaEatingYeti
09-23-2017, 02:41 PM

This!
Every fucking team playing the beautiful game should take an average of 10 shots per game from outside the area.
Free quick dos not count.

TFC has extremely few long range shots usually.
I don't get it why,,,

OgtheDim
09-23-2017, 02:57 PM
Per Larson

No Jozy. Didn't travel.

Vasquez was in the tweet of them getting off the bus, as was Hamilton.

Couchy81
09-23-2017, 03:01 PM
Vazquez is gonna bring it like the LA game. Better to keep Seba well rested for playoffs, don't want another repeat of last year's finals substitution.

OgtheDim
09-23-2017, 03:04 PM
A back 3 of Moor, Morrow & Beitashour.

WB's are Edwards & Hasler.

Mids are Bradley Delgado & Osorio.

Forwards are Ricketts & Vasquez.

That is not exactly a fast back 3.

notthesun
09-23-2017, 03:05 PM
https://twitter.com/torontofc/status/911681620889014273

Morrow and Beitashour are playing LCB and RCB, respectively.

Red CB Toronto
09-23-2017, 03:05 PM
No doubt Victor is the most important aspect of this team, the Player of the Year no doubt. He gives service to the forwards while taking pressure of the back line. It really lets The General play backs.

pdubs
09-23-2017, 03:10 PM
I like Hasler in the RWB. Has good vision and causes problems.

Glad to see Edwards out their.

notthesun
09-23-2017, 03:11 PM
Could be in for a lot of attacking from out wide today with Edwards and Hasler as wingbacks.

BenRhodes23
09-23-2017, 03:15 PM
Anyone know why Zavaleta isn't there? Not sure how I feel about having Morrow and Beitashour as CBs

AlanO
09-23-2017, 03:16 PM
I've always wanted to see a 1-8-1 formation. :)

Hoping Moor can go 90 minutes, or else this might get ugly. No CBs on the bench.

OgtheDim
09-23-2017, 03:17 PM
Anyone know why Zavaleta isn't there? Not sure how I feel about having Morrow and Beitashour as CBs

"Oral procedure earlier in the week" (dental work)

Mavinga sent out a tweet on Thursday with him beside Giovinco on the training table.

Auzzy
09-23-2017, 03:18 PM
I don't get the lineup especially in defense. Zavaleta had oral surgery this week so makes sense he's missing. But how about Mavinga and Hernandez? OK if you want to experiment or give some people a break, but why not at least have Mavinga and Hernandez be on the bench?

EDIT OK I saw the note above now about Mavinga. Odd that there was no news about it before today. And Hernandez? Seems like the injury bug has caught up to us at the worst possible time.

New England isn't great, but they've got good movement and significant firepower. I'll be happy to be surprised, but I'm expecting a loss here.

Initial B
09-23-2017, 03:34 PM
Wait a sec, MLS Lineup for the game has *Edwards* as RCB, So it's Beitashour-Moor-Edwards. Apparently Morrow is the LWB ahead of Beitashour. Maybe Vanney wants them on the same side for their chemistry? This experiment might work, or it might blow up in his face. I'm not feeling too positive about this game...

Red CB Toronto
09-23-2017, 03:35 PM
I don't get the lineup especially in defense. Zavaleta had oral surgery this week so makes sense he's missing. But how about Mavinga and Hernandez? OK if you want to experiment or give some people a break, but why not at least have Mavinga and Hernandez be on the bench?

EDIT OK I saw the note above now about Mavinga. Odd that there was no news about it before today. And Hernandez? Seems like the injury bug has caught up to us at the worst possible time.

New England isn't great, but they've got good movement and significant firepower. I'll be happy to be surprised, but I'm expecting a loss here.

TFC is far ahead of what the mess the Revs are, anything short of victory should be a disappointment !!

ensco
09-23-2017, 03:47 PM
TFC is far ahead of what the mess the Revs are, anything short of victory should be a disappointment !!

Hold on there. If we lose this game, it's fine. It's an exhibition.

We played our worst game of the year at NE, and it was only 3 months ago.

Eastend
09-23-2017, 03:50 PM

Agree.

Hold on there. If we lose this game, it's fine. It's an exhibition.

We played our worst game of the year at NE, and it was only 3 months ago.

Don't agree, and it is not an exhibition. Not the time to be layjng back...at all.

molenshtain
09-23-2017, 03:55 PM
The score says we're playing with only one CB and four wingbacks. That can't possibly be right can it?

SirBobSaget
09-23-2017, 03:57 PM
Nguyen starting on the bench

ensco
09-23-2017, 03:58 PM
Don't agree, and it is not an exhibition. Not the time to be layjng back...at all.

Yeah. Much better to go all out with teammates who you don't need chemistry with in November, and risk injury on astroturf.

PizzaEatingYeti
09-23-2017, 03:58 PM
I see clearly two thought lines here.

Some of us think that virtually almost all games since and including the last match shiteshow are throwaways ("exhibition games"), our only purpose left in the regular season being just to clinch the shield (even 3 points are enough for that in all remaining games).
Others think that we need to compete in all games like we did until now, and go for that "best MLM team ever" unofficial title.

SirBobSaget
09-23-2017, 04:01 PM
Wait a sec, MLS Lineup for the game has *Edwards* as RCB, So it's Beitashour-Moor-Edwards. Apparently Morrow is the LWB ahead of Beitashour. Maybe Vanney wants them on the same side for their chemistry? This experiment might work, or it might blow up in his face. I'm not feeling too positive about this game...

MLS Lineup prob plugs players in by looking at who has played the most games at that position. So Morrow fills in the LWB spot since he player 25+ games there. Edwards falls into RCB because was the last option.

Wasn't it Morrow-Moor-Beitashour to finish on wednesday? Moor is gonna have his hands full with Kamara.

Eastend
09-23-2017, 04:02 PM
I see clearly two thought lines here.

Some of us think that virtually almost all games since and including the last match shiteshow are throwaways ("exhibition games"), our only purpose left in the regular season being just to clinch the shield (even 3 points are enough for that in all remaining games).
Others think that we need to compete in all games like we did until now, and go for that "best MLM team ever" unofficial title.

Not looking for the Best Team Ever title, just don't think changing the way we play is the right way to go into the playoffs...

tfcfans
09-23-2017, 04:03 PM
Win for the Shield.....

Eastend
09-23-2017, 04:07 PM
Win for the Shield.....

Yup, win and done.

NYCFC 1 - Houston 1 = Final

PizzaEatingYeti
09-23-2017, 04:07 PM
Good stream here:
http://goatdee.net/219022/watch-new-england-revolution-vs-toronto-fc

bit it has the NE stream, probably some f...ing homer commentators.
Anyone has a good stream, but TSN?

pdubs
09-23-2017, 04:09 PM
Those football lines tho.. man

Eastend
09-23-2017, 04:10 PM
Those football lines tho.. man

Garbage

General Woolfe
09-23-2017, 04:20 PM
A back 3 of Moor, Morrow & Beitashour.

WB's are Edwards & Hasler.

Mids are Bradley Delgado & Osorio.

Forwards are Ricketts & Vasquez.

That is not exactly a fast back 3.

Only defensive sub is Alseth

General Woolfe
09-23-2017, 04:21 PM
This field is an absolute mess with all the Gridiron markings

General Woolfe
09-23-2017, 04:27 PM
You cant help wonder what we're not being told about Jozy & Seba? Surely "tightness" doesn't keep you out for this many games? Lets hope theyre back soon to get up to speed for the playoffs

MartinUtd
09-23-2017, 04:28 PM
The discarded patio furniture piled up behind Bono really adds to the ambiance.

pdubs
09-23-2017, 04:31 PM
Disallowed goal but Vazquez with that dirty move LOL.

flatpicker
09-23-2017, 04:31 PM
Fuck! That would have been a beautiful goal.

General Woolfe
09-23-2017, 04:38 PM
How is that not a foul on Ricketts?

red-o
09-23-2017, 04:42 PM
How is that not a foul on Ricketts?
Ref sucks

pdubs
09-23-2017, 04:43 PM
Irwin coming up big. Turnovers in our final 1/3 need to stop

Initial B
09-23-2017, 04:44 PM
The discarded patio furniture piled up behind Bono really adds to the ambiance.
That's not Bono, That's Irwin.

TFC seems to have found their footing. I expect a goal before the end of half.

UpTheReds
09-23-2017, 04:45 PM
My god that pitch is disgusting. I think this league was past the throwball lines. What an embarrassment.

MartinUtd
09-23-2017, 04:49 PM
That's not Bono, That's Irwin.

TFC seems to have found their footing. I expect a goal before the end of half.

Yeah realized that.. too late to edit now that you've quoted it lol

ag futbol
09-23-2017, 04:56 PM
Feels like a game where a super sub is needed.

Shakey first 45 from the backline, especially Morrow. What was he thinking on some of those plays?

Defoe
09-23-2017, 04:56 PM
My god that pitch is disgusting. I think this league was past the throwball lines. What an embarrassment.

Watching a game at the home parks of Sporting KC, Seattle, Orlando, Atlanta, Red Bulls, TFC, Portland is so pleasant to watch; I feel like it's a top flight league. Watching game against New England or Columbus seriously sucks.

Defoe
09-23-2017, 04:57 PM
Anyways I think we've been ok. We're working hard for sure, they want the win. Vazquez is such a difference maker.

molenshtain
09-23-2017, 04:57 PM
Well that was boring.

I still have no idea why we're only playing with one CB.

notthesun
09-23-2017, 04:58 PM
A bit more dynamic movement in the final third and cut out the bad passes at the back and we're in business.

ensco
09-23-2017, 04:59 PM
I wish they would just contract NE out of the league, and start over with a new ownership/stadium group in a couple of years

There are multiple venues in Boston that could be turned into versions of Portland's stadium without too much invetsment. Instead we (and they more importantly!) get this tripe.

OgtheDim
09-23-2017, 05:00 PM
There's a tweet out by the BMO ground crew saying that these sort of lines are not necessary any more.

CBTFC
09-23-2017, 05:00 PM
Blah, all the football lines are bothering me. It makes it a bit hard to watch and follow the play, could only imagine what it's like for the players.

So far so good, considering NER hasn't lost at home in 5, and allowed even a goal in the last 4.

Steady as she goes for the 2nd half. C'mon you reds!

Defoe
09-23-2017, 05:02 PM
I wish they would just contract NE out of the league, and start over with a new ownership/stadium group in a couple of years
What's remarkable about New England is they actually average 15-20 k. They average this with terrible ownership, a terrible team, a terrible stadium, and a football stadium with poor quality turf and football lines. What an awful experience for the fans and players. If they had a park like KC, they could be a huge market.

Redcoe15
09-23-2017, 05:07 PM
Pointy ball lines?!! FUCK YOU ROBERT KRAFT!!!

C'mon you Reds! Bury those Repulsives!

notthesun
09-23-2017, 05:10 PM
Well that was boring.

I still have no idea why we're only playing with one CB.

https://twitter.com/Chris_Mavinga/status/911701092135768064

Redcoe15
09-23-2017, 05:23 PM
Anybody get the sense we're looking at a scoreless draw?

pdubs
09-23-2017, 05:28 PM
VV with a terrible fucking pass back to the box. WTF was that.

pdubs
09-23-2017, 05:31 PM
Jay Hams coming in!

red-o
09-23-2017, 05:31 PM
Anybody get the sense we're looking at a scoreless draw?
Yes but also feel like we are a man up

General Woolfe
09-23-2017, 05:42 PM
Why oh why is Vanney taking off Vazquez? One of the two truly talented players capable of something special. I fear if Vanney keeps on trying to be over-protective with his bestest toys, it will cost us

flatpicker
09-23-2017, 05:42 PM
This is a frustrating and tense game.

flatpicker
09-23-2017, 05:43 PM
I'll be impressed if we can actually win this now that our B Team is out there.

MightyDM
09-23-2017, 05:44 PM
Why oh why is Vanney taking off Vazquez? One of the two truly talented players capable of something special. I fear if Vanney keeps on trying to be over-protective with his bestest toys, it will cost us

He has the the flu and has not been at his best.

flatpicker
09-23-2017, 05:46 PM
Well nuts

ag futbol
09-23-2017, 05:46 PM
For fuck sakes. That's a cheap one

pdubs
09-23-2017, 05:47 PM
Irwin had it but deflected right off of Moor. Bah

tfcfans
09-23-2017, 05:47 PM
Can they stop saying that only NYCFC can finish ahead of us for the Shield --- Atlanta can get to 64 points too.....

Oh well --- likely will be clinched at home with a win against NYRB....as it should be......

Detroit_TFC
09-23-2017, 05:48 PM
Fuck this shit. I don't know what happened to mentality of this team. Their heads are 100% in the post season.

flatpicker
09-23-2017, 05:48 PM
Beauty!

tfcfans
09-23-2017, 05:49 PM
Wow!!!

pdubs
Hasler!!!!!

MightyDM
Hasler! Mark of an excellent team! WHAT A RESPONSE, BRADLEY,

Detroit_TFC
Hasler!

General Woolfe
Great comeback from Hassler. What a signing he's been

rydermike
09-23-2017, 05:50 PM
Who needs Giovinco when you have Hasler

Detroit_TFC
The Liechtensteiner Messi.

pdubs
Great pass by Bradley.

Ps- Protect hasler against LAFC

CBTFC
Hasler! Wow he should be starting every game, imo.

Kaz
09-23-2017, 05:51 PM
Gee a team with some of the same pieces as montreal without the quality.. comes out playing in a similar style..and Toronto Plays their third game in a row sloppy.. and second woefully under prepared for an tactic that "coach of the year" should have seen coming, instead our coach did nothing to prepare his players...

And not until a goal is scored do the boys finally push hard.

I will give this team credit even as sloppy as they are right now.. they will find strength when down. Sadly that gets ties not wins. They really need to win this one.

flatpicker
09-23-2017, 05:52 PM
Fuck sakes

tfcfans
Unbelievable.....

rydermike
Come on Hasler, get another one

General Woolfe
Irwin should have had that

UpTheReds
Well, the last 2 games have been a TFC reboot from the difficult years!

rydermike
Late goal against, memories of old

flatpicker
09-23-2017, 05:53 PM
Well, let's claim the shield at home then.

gracos
09-23-2017, 05:54 PM
Where are Altidore and Giovinco??? Cant be injured as they arent on the injury report

MightyDM
And that was the mark of an out of sorts team. Deflating.

MightyDM
Where are Altidore and Giovinco??? Cant be injured as they arent on the injury report

Both hurt. Have been for three games.

red-o
09-23-2017, 05:55 PM
Yes but also feel like we are a man up
(And that feeling is gone with Vazquez & Ricketts

gracos
09-23-2017, 05:55 PM
Both hurt. Have been for three games. Why arent they on the injury report then if they are hurt

SoccMan2
09-23-2017, 05:57 PM
This is not good form going into the playoffs, for the greatest MLS team of all time , they have lost their confidence it's gone, that swagger is gone, good luck getting it back, keep resting players, this is soccer you can't just turn it off I hope I'm wrong but I see a first playoff series exit if this keeps up. To lose the way they did tonight is not good , giving up two goals late in the game both times when the game was tied.

Detroit_TFC
09-23-2017, 05:58 PM
This is not the way to go into the post season.

gracos
09-23-2017, 05:59 PM
ya, TFC management can only be blamed for the recent form of poor play, Giovinco and Altidore are paid to play, and they are just doing this as precautionary but if management doesnt care then we play complacent and the more complacent we play the more losses will happen

rydermike
09-23-2017, 05:59 PM
I know it was all but done, but when you see the ref with the whistle in his mouth, you can't pass the ball backwards Edwards. He'll let you finish the attack, but as soon as it goes back for a reset, he blows the whistle

Yohan
09-23-2017, 06:00 PM
meh. didn't expect a result in New England with unfamiliar turf and lots of mileage on the legs

Oldtimer
09-23-2017, 06:00 PM
We'll probably get the shield, but Atlanta is peaking at the right time and will probably win the cup.

molenshtain
09-23-2017, 06:01 PM
This is not the way to go into the post season.

we were winless in five going into the playoffs last year. We'll be fine.

General Woolfe
09-23-2017, 06:02 PM
Utter rubbish from TFC today. Sod all this talk of records and lets get this side back on track for the MLS Cup. I think Vanney has bought into this notion were the deepest squad in history too much (He even verbalized it himself) Theres a huge difference between our second string and first team 11. Even players like Delgado are there to supplement out top players not replace them. We are slumping at the worse possible time, when sides like Atlanta are peaking. I just hope Vanney is not holding back Jozy & Seba to protect them. The SS is not won yet and we need all hands on deck to get the job done let alone build the momentum necessary to make a serious run at winning the MLS Cup, which is the real prize. Our recent form has been shocking and needs to change immediately

That was a desperately disappointing game today but probably all we could expect from such a poor line up. Lets stop mollycoddling the millionares and have them earn their pay by playing through a little bit of pain

pdubs
09-23-2017, 06:02 PM
ya, TFC management can only be blamed for the recent form of poor play, Giovinco and Altidore are paid to play, and they are just doing this as precautionary but if management doesnt care then we play complacent and the more complacent we play the more losses will happen

They have knocks. Would you rather play them in largely meaningless games with regards to the big picture and risk a bad injury. If they were 100% they would be out there. Maybe they are 75-80% and if it was a playoff game they would be out there. Context is everything.

Redcoe15
09-23-2017, 06:03 PM
:mad5::hulk:

DIS-FUCKING GUSTING!!!!!!!!!!

I DON'T WAN'T TO HEAR ANY GOD DAMN MOTHERFUCKING EXCUSES ABOUT THIS GAME!!!!!!!!!! TFC SHOULD HAVE DESTROYED THESE GOD DAMN FUCKING REPULSIVES!!!!!!!!!! THIS TEAM WILL NOT GO BEYOND THEIR OPENING PLAYOFF ROUND IF TYHEY PLAY LIKE THIS!!!!!!!!!! WAKE THE GOD DAMN MOTHERFUCKING UP TFC!!!!!!!!!!

notthesun
09-23-2017, 06:03 PM
Fuck this, just give me the first team back. Vazquez was clearly not over his illness.

Both their goals were so cheap. We need to not just win but dominate next week, we need to get back in the groove.

molenshtain
09-23-2017, 06:04 PM
You're joking, RIght^^

Re: redcoe

ag futbol
09-23-2017, 06:05 PM
We'll probably get the shield, but Atlanta is peaking at the right time and will probably win the cup.
Let's not get ahead of ourselves here. We'll be getting two of our top players back shortly and on rest.

I know we've prided ourselves on this being a deep team but it's really time to button down the roster and tighten up the bench moving into the playoffs. No more taking a punt certain guys to see if they can contribute.

pdubs
09-23-2017, 06:05 PM
It is very disappointing these last two games. They sky is not falling tho

pdubs
09-23-2017, 06:08 PM
Atlanta has 4 game in 10 days by my count. Last see how they deal with tired legs and potential injuries.

BenRhodes23
The way the team was set up lost us the match. Playing with 4 full backs and 1 CB was never going to stop Kamara and Nguyen... Surely Mitch Taintor from TFC2 and Jason Hernandez would've done better than Beitashour and Morrow. Also - Delgado should've been taken off for Chapman instead of Vazquez. Cooper was decent again tonight, looked like he improved defensively.

Let's hope NYCFC lose to the Impact on Wednesday.

:scarf:

SoccMan2
No easy team in the east, so whoever they play it will be tough, Atlanta has all the momentum and that last game in Atlanta is going to be pretty ugly I see a total shellacking if this team does not smarten up, how is this New England team so bad in the standings with so much talent?

pdubs
09-23-2017, 06:09 PM
The way the team was set up lost us the match. Playing with 4 full backs and 1 CB was never going to stop Kamara and Nguyen... Surely Mitch Taintor from TFC2 and Jason Hernandez would've done better than Beitashour and Morrow. Also - Delgado should've been taken off for Chapman instead of Vazquez. Cooper was decent again tonight, looked like he improved defensively.

Let's hope NYCFC lose to the Impact on Wednesday.

:scarf:

Hernandez was injured. TSN mentioned it early in the broadcast.

Redcoe15
09-23-2017, 06:11 PM

FUCK NO, FUCK NO, FUCK NO, FUCK NO, FUCK NO, FUCK NO, FUCK NO, FUCK NO!!!!!!!!!!

ATLANTA IS A FIRST YEAR EXPANSION SIDE!!!!!!!!!! THEY HAVE NO GOD DAMN MOTHERFUCKING BUSINESS CLAIMING THE MLS CUP!!!!!!!!!! I WANT THESE CUM GUZZLERS BITCHSLAPPED BEYOND KINGDOM COME SO THAT THEY FUCKING WELL KNOW THEIR MOTHERFUCKING GOD DAMN PLACE IN MLS!!!!!!!!!!

BenRhodes23
09-23-2017, 06:14 PM
Hernandez was injured. TSN mentioned it early in the broadcast.

I didn't hear that... How did every TFC CB manage to get injured at the same time?! :facepalm:

tfcfans
09-23-2017, 06:14 PM
As frustrating as this was to watch - we all know that 25+ goals weren't playing today and those two alone change how other teams defend us. In addition we were going in to a crappy field against a team who plays great at home on short rest while they waited for us.

Let's see next Saturday when we are waiting at home for a team to come in on short rest to our field and our regular lineup playing. I have not lost faith in this group because of a few bad results while missing 2/3 of our best players the last 4 days......

Let's be frank, with a full lineup and proper rest, we've lost how many times this year? Maybe once? All the other losses had at least 2 DPs out or were the 5th game in 14/15 days......with proper rest and a proper lineup I'll take my chances with this group still.....

MightyDM
09-23-2017, 06:15 PM
Poor loss. Four or five players stood around and watched Kamari. In the 90 th minute on the road truly unacceptable defending.. hopefully motivating.

Kaz

But this is the best team in MLS History, Vanney is the greatest coach ever. It was because we had three major players off the pitch.. but we have the most depth and missing players doesn't matter.

I've said for the last three games TFC is playing sloppy. They aren't clicking. There is no drive, no awareness. That is the Coaching staff and the team mentality. Nearly everyone has switched off.

Hopefully they switch back on. Because if we are still playing like this.. we have two more (at least) losses to look forward too. Montreal will come back out and do the same thing and Atlanta will absolutely humiliate us.

But Vanney is coach of the year and we have so many points and the Supporters shield is in the bag.. blah blah blah.

The team this week is what I care about and right now our coach isn't showing up and neither are the players.

It should have been obvious that New England would see what Montreal did say we have Kai who is a great counter attacker.. so lets emulate as best we can what they did... and oh look.. we lost.

Even though the best way to deal with counter attacking football with a strong bunker.. is when you can draw them out.. counter yourself. We had the pieces to do that.. We just didn't do that. Worse is nothing really changed in the second half. He didn't say.. they look dangerous.. they look more likely to score than we do right now.. what should I do...

Coach of the year my ass. Martino deserves a lot of praise and these last few games shows that his team is still showing up.. and thus he deserves that honour over Vanney.

of course I'm saying something that people don't want to here.. people will defend Vanney to the ends of the earth because we have points. If we lose because the other team beat us soundly playing our best.. or it is a one off.. ok.. but this isn't a one off... this is 3 games of sloppy play.. and we dropped 6 points we shouldn't have because of poor preparation and poor play.

BenRhodes23

FUCK NO, FUCK NO, FUCK NO, FUCK NO, FUCK NO, FUCK NO, FUCK NO, FUCK NO!!!!!!!!!!

ATLANTA IS A FIRST YEAR EXPANSION SIDE!!!!!!!!!! THEY HAVE NO GOD DAMN MOTHERFUCKING BUSINESS CLAIMING THE MLS CUP!!!!!!!!!! I WANT THESE CUM GUZZLERS BITCHSLAPPED BEYOND KINGDOM COME SO THAT THEY FUCKING WELL KNOW THEIR MOTHERFUCKING GOD DAMN PLACE IN MLS!!!!!!!!!!

But they're in form and have the best fan base in the league... Sounds like a decent mls side to me

reggie
09-23-2017, 06:17 PM
wow people are losing there shit over this loss with that lineup.take a pill people.

notthesun
09-23-2017, 06:17 PM
No easy team in the east, so whoever they play it will be tough, Atlanta has all the momentum and that last game in Atlanta is going to be pretty ugly I see a total shellacking if this team does not smarten up, how is this New England team so bad in the standings with so much talent?

They have a fantastic home record. Nearly as good as ours. They're terrible on the road.

If you look at the standings this result is an upset, but reality is this was always going to be a challenging game, even if we had our full strength team. Between injuries, turf, and new manager bounce for them, this wasn't a cakewalk by any means. And if not for an unlucky deflection we would've tied.

Like I said I just want to get Altidore, Giovinco, Mavinga, Zavaleta, Hagglund, Cheyrou back, and Vazquez back to full health. And we'll get most of them back by next week, maybe even all. No excuses for next week then and no reason we shouldn't be back in top form.

BenRhodes23
09-23-2017, 06:20 PM
The most disappointing part of the loss is that we've squandered another opportunity to get the record for most points... We can beat NYRB and Montreal but Atlanta is the team I'm most worried about... Especially in the playoffs... Especially away. 7 points from the final 3 is what we need... It's just a matter of playing to our ability.

Auzzy
09-23-2017, 06:24 PM
meh. didn't expect a result in New England with unfamiliar turf and lots of mileage on the legs

I wasn't really expecting a result either (although the way it was going, we should easily have had a tie). However note that New England was also unfamiliar with this turf: it was changed a few days ago, and plays very different from the carpet they had before.

tfcfans
09-23-2017, 06:35 PM
Ok - we are all terrified of Atlanta is what I'm getting here (and yes they concern me the most too in the East) --- assuming a likely 2nd or 3rd place finish for Atlanta they still have to beat 1 or 2 other teams to get to the ECF before we would potentially play them -- is that a foregone conclusion? Of course not! I'll worry about who we play when we actually play them.....

Right now Atlanta will look awesome more recently due to a slew of home games, what's their road record? It's under .500 and their awesome home record is 9-2-2 while "crappy NE" had a 10-2-2 record at home going into today.....but of course losing at NE on short rest is an abomination without Altidore or Gio.....I'm just saying maybe some perspective is warranted here.....do you honestly think other fan bases have ultimate confidence in their teams and see Toronto as horribly flawed? Somehow I doubt it.....no team is perfect and if you told me we could clinch a Shield on September 30th (earlier than any team has clinched in years), I think we all would have taken it back in March.......being mildly concerned is one thing, outright freaking out panic for a team like this is just nuts.....apparently we can't enjoy nice things unless they are perfect or close to it.....an MLS Cup will determine our feelings towards this year and whether it was a success or not, all the other stuff is just noise......

notthesun
09-23-2017, 06:38 PM
If you only show up when we lose to dump on Vanney, but you have nothing to say about him when we're on six game winning streaks, playing beautiful football and dumping on good teams like NYC and Portland, you don't deserve to be taken seriously.

As for Atlanta, they have an average defense and are average on the road. They won't make it out of the East.

Chicago is the most well-rounded team in the East besides us, and has the best chance of advancing besides us.

edit: Congrats to redcoe on being the first person I've ever blocked on this forum.

OgtheDim
09-23-2017, 06:50 PM
That's a lot of CD's to have out injured. Still, you'd think they would have been able to break through that defence a bit more. Given the possession, I would expect more shots.

Redcoe15
09-23-2017, 06:54 PM
:mad5:

NOTHING FUCKING MATTERS UNTIL OUR SIDE WINS!!!!!!!!!! I DON'T WANT TO HEAR ANY MOTHERFUCKING EXCUSES AS TO WHY TFC DIDN'T WIN THE LAST TWO MATCHES!!!!!!!!!! IF YOU CAN'T GET UP TO BEAT OUR ARCHRIVALS MONTREAL AND THE DRAGGING SHITBLIGHT OF MLS THAT IS NEW ENGLAND, THEN YOU WILL NOT GO PLACES!!!!!!!!!! THIS LEAGUE HAS SEEN SIX SUPPORTERS SHIELD CHAMPIONS WIN THE MLS CUP IN ITS 22 YEARS OF EXISTANCE!!!!!!!!!! IF OUR SIDE IS SUPPOSED TO BE THE GREATEST OF ALL TIME, THEN THEY HAD GODDAMN MOTHERFUCKING PLAY LIKE IT!!!!!!!!!! OTHERWISE, IT WILL BE JUST LIKE 2012, THE LOWPOINT IN OUR TEAM'S EXISTANCE!!!!!!!!!!

molenshtain
09-23-2017, 06:56 PM
:mad5:

NOTHING FUCKING MATTERS UNTIL OUR SIDE WINS!!!!!!!!!! I DON'T WANT TO HEAR ANY MOTHERFUCKING EXCUSES AS TO WHY TFC DIDN'T WIN THE LAST TWO MATCHES!!!!!!!!!! IF YOU CAN'T GET UP TO BEAT OUR ARCHRIVALS MONTREAL AND THE DRAGGING SHITBLIGHT OF MLS THAT IS NEW ENGLAND, THEN YOU WILL NOT GO PLACES!!!!!!!!!! THIS LEAGUE HAS SEEN SIX SUPPORTERS SHIELD CHAMPIONS WIN THE MLS CUP IN ITS 22 YEARS OF EXISTANCE!!!!!!!!!! IF OUR SIDE IS SUPPOSED TO BE THE GREATEST OF ALL TIME, THEN THEY HAD GODDAMN MOTHERFUCKING PLAY LIKE IT!!!!!!!!!! OTHERWISE, IT WILL BE JUST LIKE 2012, THE LOWPOINT IN OUR TEAM'S EXISTANCE!!!!!!!!!!

The PTSD is strong with this one.

tfcfans
09-23-2017, 07:04 PM
^Yes this is "exactly" like 2012.....seems an apt comparison.....please do not waste money buying playoff tickets to this abomination of a team.....yeesh.......anyone who wants to give up before the Playoffs have even started, please let me know, and I'll be happy to take your playoff tickets from you, I'm sure I can find someone to use them......the extremes of reactions here after every game (best or worst team ever) are just staggering to me......

ensco
09-23-2017, 07:10 PM
You know, I was on here all these years when it was Pollyanna-ville, and every obvious piece of stupidity was defended en masse...

Right now this is deja vu, but in reverse.

I seriously cannot believe what I am reading.

Total joke. I hope the players don't see this, and this isn't representative of what the fan base thinks

nonc
09-23-2017, 07:16 PM
A team L to be sure, classic Irwin on the second goal though looks like the guy is in quicksand. Any other goalie and I would say they tried to make that save attempt look good, but with Irwin you know he's just slow and has bad reaction time.

It will be a perverted satisfaction to win the Shield via an Impact victory though.

ryan
09-23-2017, 07:25 PM
A team L to be sure, classic Irwin on the second goal though looks like the guy is in quicksand. Any other goalie and I would say they tried to make that save attempt look good, but with Irwin you know he's just slow and has bad reaction time.

It will be a perverted satisfaction to win the Shield via an Impact victory though.

Irwin was so poor on that second goal, any chance of him getting playoff minutes died right there.

Defenders weren't much better, there were 5 circled around Kamara when the ball was struck.

I hate playing in NE, always a bad time. Not sure what it is but it's almost always shit performance or injuries.

Really tho, without Jozy/Seba were an entirely different team. No FK threat. Teams can be more aggressive against us because they aren't afraid of Ricketts the way they fear those two. No one makes the runs or holds up the ball like those two can. Cheyrou/Hagglund should be ready come playoffs. We're not the team we saw this week and everyone knows that.

Initial B
09-23-2017, 07:45 PM
I think we would have seen a better game if Cheyrou, Bradley, and Vasquez started the game, but, well, injuries...

Those Tobias time goals gave me flashbacks to 2012-2014 TFC. The players felt relief at scoring the tying goal and let up on their focus and concentration, and voila, first losing streak of the season. I'm sure Vanney is going to use this as a teachable moment.

Then again, I was worried coming into Gillette with the Revs on a new coach bounce and that's what happened. The fact that the goals were scored after Vasquez left the field just reinforced my belief that he is actually TFC's most valuable player. I want to see them win out the season now so they get back in form.

PizzaEatingYeti
09-23-2017, 07:54 PM
Really tho, without Jozy/Seba were an entirely different team. No FK threat. Teams can be more aggressive against us because they aren't afraid of Ricketts the way they fear those two. No one makes the runs or holds up the ball like those two can. Cheyrou/Hagglund should be ready come playoffs. We're not the team we saw this week and everyone knows that.

The highlighted sentence is totally wrong.

The correct one is:
Really tho, without Jozy/Seba and not just a half-healthy Victor were an entirely different team against decent teams.

Because Victor was totally average player today compared to his standards, it was very obvious that he's playing with the flu bug.
And "against decent teams" because beating the Galaxy in LA gave us the false impression that missing Seba/Jozy is not that of a big deal, but that LA team was/is not a decent team. Not even close.

Nobody should have had any deeper conclusions after that LA game, because the Galaxy is shockingly bad, is getting drastically beat down by almost any opponent!
I had no idea how bad is that team, because I never saw them playing except that game this season, but that combined to their other results in the last month or so is enough to me to say this.

Beating that Galaxy 4-0 in their home was not a good performance by TFC, but something to be expected.
Not beating that Galaxy team would have been a shocking failure.

Oldtimer
09-23-2017, 08:00 PM
@redcoe tell us how you really feel. :-p

stevep
09-23-2017, 08:02 PM
Irwin was so poor on that second goal, any chance of him getting playoff minutes died right there.

Defenders weren't much better, there were 5 circled around Kamara when the ball was struck.

I hate playing in NE, always a bad time. Not sure what it is but it's almost always shit performance or injuries.

he looked pretty bad on the first goal also.

stevep
09-23-2017, 08:05 PM

really would you have wanted them to win tonight and win the supporters shield in new england and next saturdays game means nothing or win the supporters shield next saturday at bmo? i know what i want. i want to be entertained next saturday night with all the guys playing, a great game and a win. who cares about this game. no gio, no altidore, no mavinga, no zavaletta, no bono, 3 games in 7 days with long flight back from LA.

I happened to overtape todays game and got 1/2 hour of the argo game.
ooh its bad, 200's seats on east side 99% empty, 100's seats on east side 75% empty
supporters section 80% empty
did not really get good look at the west side

PizzaEatingYeti
09-23-2017, 08:06 PM
The problem is see though in the last 2 games is that with all those too weak or strange or experimental lineups (call those whatever you want...) TFC started, the real reason of our failures is that almost all players on the field had very weak performances compared to their better games.

And one thing for me is evident:
We lost both games because the play on defense was very bad.
TFC level 2010-13 bad.

tfcfans
09-23-2017, 08:07 PM
Apparently the sky is falling for the Fire too tonight (smirk).....now only an Atl loss and a NYCFC loss to go.....it still may happen by Wednesday night.....and if not, we will take care of it ourselves in a week.....

MightyDM
09-23-2017, 10:02 PM
Montreal game, we attacked quite well but had a series of basic errors that were astonishing.

this game, we were playing decently, not dominating but fine, surrendered an unlucky goal but then immediately bounced back. At that point a 1-1 tie would have said "TFC is back". Surrendering the second goal the way we did was very very poor and a worry. Basic mistakes like not covering a golden boot calibre striker aren't acceptable, even in a nothing game. Team needs to up its level.

BelfastBoy
09-23-2017, 10:41 PM
really would you have wanted them to win tonight and win the supporters shield in new england and next saturdays game means nothing or win the supporters shield next saturday at bmo? i know what i want. i want to be entertained next saturday night with all the guys playing, a great game and a win. who cares about this game. no gio, no altidore, no mavinga, no zavaletta, no bono, 3 games in 7 days with long flight back from LA.

I happened to overtape todays game and got 1/2 hour of the argo game.
ooh its bad, 200's seats on east side 99% empty, 100's seats on east side 75% empty
supporters section 80% empty

Don't pile on the Argos, you're better than that.

gracos
09-23-2017, 10:44 PM
I hope TFC management dont get complacent, and that Altidore and Giovinco are miraculously healed for the next game

Hugh Jazz
09-23-2017, 11:59 PM
2 things after watching the highlights: Kamara is handsy AF - man grabs everyone, Hasler's goal was really good - perfectly timed and a great touch.

wopchop
09-24-2017, 07:28 AM
2 things after watching the highlights: Kamara is handsy AF - man grabs everyone, Hasler's goal was really good - perfectly timed and a great touch.
Indeed! He was a great acquisition. Love seeing him in our eleven. He is very often quite dangerous as he is right where he needs to be in the box. Love that.

Eastend
09-24-2017, 07:37 AM
really would you have wanted them to win tonight and win the supporters shield in new england and next saturdays game means nothing or win the supp orters shield next saturday at bmo? i know what i want. i want to be entertained next saturday night with all the guys playing, a great game and a win. who cares about this game. no gio, no altidore, no mavinga, no zavaletta, no bono, 3 games in 7 days with long flight back from LA.

I'm pretty sure that TFC will win it by not even playing if MTL beats NYCFC on Wednesday.

whositwhatnow
09-24-2017, 07:47 AM
I'm pretty sure that TFC will win it by not even playing if MTL beats NYCFC on Wednesday.

what would be the odds that MTL loses just to stick it to TFC, i mean they most likely not going to make the playoffs (at least i hope :)).

Globetrotter
09-24-2017, 09:18 AM
what would be the odds that MTL loses just to stick it to TFC, i mean they most likely not going to make the playoffs (at least i hope :)).

That thinking would be a little bit too self-absorbed. MTL care about themselves and their success, as do all teams.

Redcoe15
09-24-2017, 12:59 PM
@redcoe tell us how you really feel. :-p
After sleeping off an alcohol induced evening, I can tell you how I really feel: Very concerned!

Losing back to back games for the first time this year comes at the worst possible moment for our side. Near the end of the regular season. Our side was in very bad form with these loses, making boneheaded decisions that have turned into goals against. And even if we know when Seba and/or Jozy get back, will they both be at 100% with those nagging abdominal injuries of theirs? Have the Argos chewing up the BMO Field turf all season caused this? And what will the World Cup qualifiers have on the stamina of both Jozy and Bradley? What would happen if they have to play in November?

While this run the Reds have been on has been phenomenal, I fear that momentum may suddenly turn around and bite them on the ass. TFC will more than likely win the Supporters Shield, but that could be a kiss of death. Of the past 21 Shield winners in league history, only six have gone on to win the MLS Cup. The playoffs have shown to be an unpredictable beast. NYCFC could be motivated to avenge their elimination from last year by our side. Atlanta is a huge unknown playing with house money right now who drew TFC at BMO Field earlier this year. With that fake turf of theirs and that offense they play, they could be Chicago of '98 while we end up being the Galaxy of that same year. And while I feel a little easier against the likes of Columbus, NYRB, and even Chicago, I can't even be close to 100% certain.

Our side will go into the post season with a huge bullseye on their kits. TFC is the only team in the league that if they don't win the MLS Cup, it will be a huge disappointment. All the success they've had and the milestones they've reached this season will be for not without that important piece of silverware. I know that the players feel up to the challenge, but this bad form they've been on the last two matches is making me nervous.

I may have been a little over the top last night (alcohol will do that to you), but that's just because I care about this team called Toronto FC. I've seen so many lows over the years with this team that this high we've been experiencing this year something we've not been used to.

SKB
09-24-2017, 04:45 PM
Well a bad run indeed, I am not fussed we lost both games, rather how we lost them, bad defence. Although we had been winning and had clean sheets. I have been worried about Moor. I love the guy and he brings lots of intangibles to the field, but Father Time seems to be catching up to him. He has lost a step and attackers run right at him now, and he is backing up to much. Also not as strong in the box clearing the lines. He has been covered by Bradley ahead of him and Mavinga behind him.

I think we play better with Hernandez at centre back with Zavelta and Mavinga. Zavelta and Mavinga are more aggressive defenders with Hernandez behind them.

They need to focus on their defence in the last three games. It is not who finishes first but the hot team going into the playoffs that counts, we are not hot.

jloome
09-24-2017, 04:57 PM
You know, I was on here all these years when it was Pollyanna-ville, and every obvious piece of stupidity was defended en masse...

Right now this is deja vu, but in reverse.

I seriously cannot believe what I am reading.

Total joke. I hope the players don't see this, and this isn't representative of what the fan base thinks

We were missing multiple players and New England hasn't lost at home in twelve games. And even then, it required a couple of weak moments. People are seriously overreacting.

And noting that we wouldn't be nearly as good a team without Altidore, Seba and Vasquez is sort of self-evident. No team missing its three best attackers is as good.

I dunno man, maybe they're just panicking because of historical trauma.

Thomas
09-24-2017, 06:21 PM
I never thought that we would win every single game this year. Their run has been remarkable thus far this year. Yes, the result was a disappointment. Let's march onwards.

Oldtimer
09-24-2017, 06:53 PM
I'm with Redcoe here, I'm concerned.

It looks like Giovinco and Jozy were covering for a less than stellar defence and making them look better than they are by keeping the play in the opponents side. Even our two keepers gave up some pretty dodgy goals.

This much vaunted "depth" is an illusion. You can take out one key player and it's ok, two and it's much less sure, three and you have a below average side.

TFC needs to turn it around fast, can't have any further suspensions or injuries, and has to play to their top potential. Anything else and an Atlanta or a Vancouver gets the prize.

MightyDM
09-24-2017, 07:38 PM
I don't quite see it that way, but I do think they need a good performance and a win on Saturday to put this behind them. A lack of urgency and an overconfidence has crept into the play, ( Zavaleta and Beitashours errors versus Montreal, the terrible defending versus Kamara on NE's winning goals, and a number of examples of "after you Alphonse" from the midfield and defence.). I don't agree with the idea that Jody and Gio being unavailable has led to too much pressure and therefore breakdowns: we dominated possession and had more shots against Montreal, and the New England game was like ping pong until a fluke goal that Irwin might have stopped more times than not. We have lost something in mentality that we need to get back, and I think part of it is Bradley. He looks like he needs a mental break.

Yohan
09-24-2017, 09:57 PM

It looks like Giovinco and Jozy were covering for a less than stellar defence and making them look better than they are by keeping the play in the opponents side. Even our two keepers gave up some pretty dodgy goals.

This much vaunted "depth" is an illusion. You can take out one key player and it's ok, two and it's much less sure, three and you have a below average side.

TFC needs to turn it around fast, can't have any further suspensions or injuries, and has to play to their top potential. Anything else and an Atlanta or a Vancouver gets the prize.
Hrm. Questions about depth? Remember during May-June when Bradley/Altidore was off doing int games and Giovinco was out for a while and TFC managed to put together results?

Alderete
09-24-2017, 10:35 PM
As a life long toronto resident and fan, this almost seems to be our luck. I would be lying if I said I didn't foresee a possible shitting of the bed after MTL netted their 5th against us. I'm sure I'm not the only one who is guilty of becoming overconfident. Before I get ripped apart for saying there's a chance we won't win the shield, could anyone have predicted what has transpired over the last two games? The bittersweet reality of the beautiful game. Anyone can win on any given day. That being said...

COYR LETS GET IT!!!!!
TORORNT TILL I DIE!!!

ag futbol
09-24-2017, 10:58 PM

There are a lot of moving pieces here. Better attacking options have always made it easier for defenders.

Look, show me this team after a weeks rest with its best 11 on the field (or something close to it). If that goes badly I'll pull the fire alarm.

In the meantime, maybe "great" depth has come to look more average. That's pretty par for the course with this league.

Not long ago we were making short work of very good sides... things haven't changed that much.

paul-collins
09-25-2017, 08:35 AM
But in New England it wasn't three, it was 6.

Gio
Altidore
Vazquez (partially - still recovering)
Zavaleta
Mavinga
Bono

Other pieces missing - Hagglund and Hernandez - so you move Beit and Morrow to CB? That is way beyond "depth."

09-25-2017, 09:24 AM
If TFC has a full squad, they are the best team in MLS, by far.

Ben - D.O.W.
09-25-2017, 11:42 AM
For everyone saying that this is the worst time possible for these results - T-T-T-L-T-W - that's how we ended the season last year. We didn't exactly storm into the playoffs, and it turned out pretty okay for us. Through 30 games they've shown me enough that I'm not ready to write off the season based on 2 pretty dismal displays without some very important players for us.

Oldtimer
09-25-2017, 11:50 AM
It looks like this game hasn't given anyone "peace of mind."

MightyDM
09-25-2017, 01:24 PM
It looks like this game hasn't given anyone "peace of mind."

Well played old-timer, well played

General Woolfe
09-25-2017, 11:57 PM
The record looks extremely tight now. I wonder if that was in Vanneys thinking. He have never seemed that enthused about records in the first place. In a way I agree, the MLS Cup should be our top priority verything else is secondary

Fort York Redcoat
09-26-2017, 08:20 AM
The record looks extremely tight now. I wonder if that was in Vanneys thinking. He have never seemed that enthused about records in the first place. In a way I agree, the MLS Cup should be our top priority verything else is secondary

Disagree to the nth.

But you win. You got the numbers and the league on your side.