PDA

View Full Version : LAFC Expansion Draft

TFC1154ever
09-19-2017, 10:12 AM
Thought that it happened last year in December, its weird we haven't heard anything yet about this one. The rules were 11 players you can protect, plus GA and Homegrown player are auto protected. So, Osario, Edwards, Hamilton, and Chapman would be auto protected. So which other 11 would you like TFC to protect? And do you think LAFC would take allocation from us not to take a player like last draft? I'll start:

Protect:
Bono
Mavinga
Moor
Hagglund
Bradley
Delgado
Vasquez
Beitahour
Morrow
Giovinco
Altidore

Left available:
Ricketts
Zavaleta
Cooper
Cheyrou
Hernandez
Irwin
Hasler

TheGoodson
09-19-2017, 11:21 AM
I say expose Beitashour and keep Zavaleta...

Beitashour is a free agent if I remember correctly and he is on a big salary hence why Vancouver got rid of him

Richard
09-19-2017, 11:46 AM
What's the max number of player we can loose?

Initial B
09-19-2017, 11:49 AM
What's the max number of player we can loose?One.

Personally, I think I would leave Hagglund unprotected. He's suffered two injuries now and I'm not sure LAFC would take him as a choice.

Cas87
09-19-2017, 11:51 AM
Thought that it happened last year in December, its weird we haven't heard anything yet about this one. The rules were 11 players you can protect, plus GA and Homegrown player are auto protected. So, Osario, Edwards, Hamilton, and Chapman would be auto protected. So which other 11 would you like TFC to protect? And do you think LAFC would take allocation from us not to take a player like last draft? I'll start:

Protect:
Bono
Mavinga
Moor
Hagglund
Bradley
Delgado
Vasquez
Beitahour
Morrow
Giovinco
Altidore

Left available:
Ricketts
Zavaleta
Cooper
Cheyrou
Hernandez
Irwin
Hasler

Delgado and Bono are auto protected as well (Delgado is HG, carry-over from Chivas USA, and Bono is GA for now, unless he graduates)

My list

Auto-Protected (HG & GA):
Delgado
Bono (unless he moves off GA contract)
Hamilton
Spencer
Morgan
Chapman
Camargo

Protect:
Zavaleta
Mavinga
Moor
Hagglund
Bradley
Osorio
Vasquez
Beitahour
Morrow
Giovinco
Altidore

Left available:
Cooper
Cheyrou
Edwards
Hernandez
Irwin
Hasler
Ricketts

LAFC would probably take Irwin or Cooper off our hands (Hasler/Edwards - small sample size, Cheyrou/Hernandez - age/retire?)

woolly
09-19-2017, 12:52 PM
Oso? Protect for depth or expose?

And isn't Edwards considered a homegrown?

Cas87
09-19-2017, 01:24 PM
Oso? Protect for depth or expose?

And isn't Edwards considered a homegrown?

According to the MLS roster site, Edwards is a normal player (I think because he was signed from TFC2, not directly from the Academy but, could also be a mistake on their end).

I just plain forgot Osorio, added him in. Would now drop Zavaleta (if needed) for Bono.

woolly
09-19-2017, 01:30 PM
It's getting tough having so many good players. My guess is that any of the FA's that are asking for significant raises are going to find themselves on the wrong end of protection.

Also, when the hell does MLS release the new salary cap/ Garber bucks rules? That might change many things.

Lastly, looking at this roster... If the other teams don't get a whole lot better next year, we stand a good chance of steamrolling the opposition again.

BenRhodes23
09-19-2017, 04:31 PM
I'd keep Zavaleta and Osorio... I also might consider protecting Hasler over Beitashour and buying him back if he gets picked

TFC/Everton
09-19-2017, 04:31 PM
Beitashour is a free agent at the end of the season. No reason to protect him.

rydermike
09-19-2017, 08:10 PM
I posted this is the in-season moves speculation thread a few days ago. Osorio isn't homegrown and not auto protected, Delgado, despite being a HG via Chivas, must also be protected based on last year

oncerning the LA FC expansion draft at the end of the season.

For reference, this was our list for the Atlanta/Minnesota expansion draft

Last year

PROTECTED
UNPROTECTED

Altidore, Jozy
Bradley, Michael
Cooper, Armando
Delgado, Marco (HG via Chivas)
Endoh, Tsubasa
Giovinco, Sebastian
Hagglund, Nick
Moor, Drew
Morrow, Justin
Osorio, Jonathan
Zavaleta, Eriq

Automatically Protected:
Bono, Alex (GA)
Chapman, Jay (HG)
Hamilton, Jordan (HG)
Manella, Chris (HG)
Morgan, Ashtone (HG)

New Additions in 2017
Sergio Camargo (HG - auto protected)
Brandon Aubrey
Chris Mavinga
Victor Vasquez
Raheem Edwards
Jason Hernandez
Oyvind Alseth
Mark Pais
Ben Spencer (Homegrown apparently via RSL- auto protected?)
Nicolas Hasler
Babouli Molham
Beitashour, Steven
Bloom, Mark
Cheyrou, Benoit
Irwin, Clint
Johnson, Will
Lovitz, Daniel
Ricketts, Tosaint
Roberts, Quillan (HG?)
Simonin, Clement
Williams, Josh

Depending on options and contract expirations, from the new additions, Vasquez is a must protect, with possibilities to Mavinga, Edwards, and Hasler. I could see them unprotecting Cooper and Endoh for Vasquez and one of Mavinga/Hasler (since we had to protect a certain number of intl's), and maybe drop Hagglund/Osorio for Hasler/Edwards

I could see them not protecting Drew Moor. He can be a free agent at the end of the season. So, if they do a side agreement, where they have a contract agreed upon but don't officially sign him until free agency, could protect an additional player. Beitashour is also a FA this offseason

Last year, a minimum of 3 internationals had to be protected. So my protect list would be
Giovinco (Itnl), Mavinga (Intl), Vasquez (Intl), Altidore, Bradley, Delgado, Morrow, Osorio, Zavaleta, Hasler or Edwards, (last spot is Moor if signed, Hasler or Edwards if Moor unsigned and heading to FA)

Auto: Bono, Chapman, Camargo, Hamilton, Morgan, Spencer?

Unprotected: Cooper, Endoh, Hagglund, Beitashour (FA), Cheyrou, Irwin, Ricketts, Aubrey, Hernandez, Alseth, Pais, (one of Moor/Edwards/Hasler)

Ossington Mental Youth
09-20-2017, 09:06 AM
I fucking hate that this is even a discussion we have to have

woolly
09-20-2017, 09:13 AM
I fucking hate that this is even a discussion we have to have

Cheer up! It used to be so bad that we didn't have to worry about someone picking up our awful players, and most of them never stuck around long enough for it to matter.

This is a nice problem to have...

Oldtimer
09-20-2017, 09:43 AM
Cheer up! It used to be so bad that we didn't have to worry about someone picking up our awful players, and most of them never stuck around long enough for it to matter.

This is a nice problem to have...

Nobody drafted Raivis Hščanovičs. Shocking. :lol:

woolly
09-20-2017, 10:52 AM
Nobody drafted Raivis Hščanovičs. Shocking. :lol:

Maybe they tried, but gave up when they spelled his name wrong eleventy billion times.

ensco
09-20-2017, 10:58 AM
I guarantee you they protect Hagglund and Zavaleta at all costs, including exposing Beita and Moor, if necessary.

Young cheap effective domestics were the one thing this team never got right until this regime.

Let's face it, this group can find vets to fill holes.

How they decide amongst Ricketts/Beita/Moor, I am not sure. Tough.

Auzzy
09-20-2017, 11:05 AM
The long list of unprotected names looks scary. But remember we'll lose at most one player. The way the team has dealt with injuries and other absences all season, there isn't a single un-replaceable player on the team. (For me, Vazquez comes closest.) So basically I've decided not to worry about the expansion draft.

A bigger issue will be contract renegotiation and free agency, after so many players have had great seasons. Garber bucks/cap increases, special allo cash for CCL etc. will help a bit, but I'm sure we will be sad about some of the players we lose.

Thomas
09-20-2017, 03:09 PM
Yeah, I'm with you on this one.

I guarantee you they protect Hagglund and Zavaleta at all costs, including exposing Beita and Moor, if necessary.

Young cheap effective domestics were the one thing this team never got right until this regime.

Let's face it, this group can find vets to fill holes.

How they decide amongst Ricketts/Beita/Moor, I am not sure. Tough.

woolly
09-21-2017, 12:19 PM
After yesterdays game, I think Beita and Zavs could be more likely candidates to be unprotected, and protecting Ricketts and Cooper.

Zavs is a maybe, but Beita has not been as dominant since his injury.

On the other hand, I would not want Ricketts to play against us. Although he's only coming off the bench, his goals per minute rate is insane this year.

molenshtain
09-21-2017, 12:21 PM
Beita probably. No way in hell they protect Cooper.

OgtheDim
09-21-2017, 12:50 PM
LAFC will already be talking to teams about what they can get to draft a player and then trade them back - like we did with Irwin.

rydermike
09-21-2017, 03:22 PM
After yesterdays game, I think Beita and Zavs could be more likely candidates to be unprotected, and protecting Ricketts and Cooper.

Zavs is a maybe, but Beita has not been as dominant since his injury.

On the other hand, I would not want Ricketts to play against us. Although he's only coming off the bench, his goals per minute rate is insane this year.

They will not protect Beitashour.
a) Hasler is younger and better
b) He makes a pretty large salary for a non-DP ($264,000)
c) He is a free agent

BenRhodes23
09-21-2017, 03:37 PM
I think Zavaleta will be protected and Beitashour won't. It'll be sad if he's leaves but Hasler is better

BenRhodes23
09-21-2017, 03:38 PM
I also think Moor will be protected

Chevy
09-22-2017, 08:31 AM
One.

Personally, I think I would leave Hagglund unprotected. He's suffered two injuries now and I'm not sure LAFC would take him as a choice.

Yep. Add Hagglund and Beta to the available list and keep Hasler and Zavaleta. Either way this is a great problem to have - a few years ago we would have three, maybe four players we'd actually like to keep on the roster.

jabbronies
09-22-2017, 09:28 AM
Yep. Add Hagglund and Beta to the available list and keep Hasler and Zavaleta. Either way this is a great problem to have - a few years ago we would have three, maybe four players we'd actually like to keep on the roster.

Zavaleta will be left unprotected. Hagglund is the guy you wanna keep.
Zavaleta us just a defender - but Hagglund is that and has better skills on the ball, that's what this team needs.

As for Moor - I think the plan may be to not sign him until after the draft. If he gets picked by LA - can't he just say no to signing with them and sign with us? I have a feeling that the Irwin situation from last year will play out with Moor this year.

rydermike
09-22-2017, 01:05 PM
As for Moor - I think the plan may be to not sign him until after the draft. If he gets picked by LA - can't he just say no to signing with them and sign with us? I have a feeling that the Irwin situation from last year will play out with Moor this year.

I agree on Moor. Seems like a perfect loophole. Wouldn't be like the Irwin situation. Irwin was already under contract, Moor is not. LA could pick him, but they'd lose him for nothing. We could just sign him.

Detroit_TFC
09-22-2017, 01:10 PM
LAFC will already be talking to teams about what they can get to draft a player and then trade them back - like we did with Irwin.

Especially if TAM goes up like some are saying. TAM is going to be flying all over the place.

BenRhodes23
09-28-2017, 03:13 PM
Waking The Red thinks that we won't protect: Moor, Hasler, Ricketts, Osorio, Beitashour, Alseth, Cheyrou, Cooper, Endoh, Hernandez, Irwin, Pais

Defoe
09-28-2017, 04:35 PM
Waking The Red thinks that we won't protect: Moor, Hasler, Ricketts, Osorio, Beitashour, Alseth, Cheyrou, Cooper, Endoh, Hernandez, Irwin, Pais

I really hope they take Osorio... most overrated TFC player of all time. He wouldn't even be a difference maker in the 4th league in England.

rydermike
09-28-2017, 09:43 PM

They are under the assumption that Bono will not be automatically protected through Generation Adidas. If he is, then we can protect an additional player (Hasler)

Auzzy
09-28-2017, 10:17 PM
I really hope they take Osorio... most overrated TFC player of all time. He wouldn't even be a difference maker in the 4th league in England.

"Most overrated TFC player of all time" -- LOL, were you around during the early years.?

BenRhodes23
09-28-2017, 10:37 PM
They are under the assumption that Bono will not be automatically protected through Generation Adidas. If he is, then we can protect an additional player (Hasler)

Hasler would certainly be my choice. I wouldn't be surprised to see us buy back Osorio or Moor if they get selected.

BenRhodes23
09-28-2017, 10:39 PM

I think you'll find that Osorio is one of the better TFC players in history... Most appearances for them and a local kid, easily becoming a fan favourite.

Defoe
09-29-2017, 08:50 AM
I think you'll find that Osorio is one of the better TFC players in history... Most appearances for them and a local kid, easily becoming a fan favourite.

:facepalm:

Useful at times in a not so good MLS league 4 years ago? Sure. Quality player? No.

Mr "play the ball to the side" every play; is not really a player we need in my opinion. He's very replaceable by Chapman. But agree to disagree I suppose. I don't think we need him at 200 k.

Initial B
09-29-2017, 11:17 AM
I think they'll leave all the free agents unprotected. Why chose them when they may just bolt to another team in the off-season?

Cas87
09-29-2017, 11:20 AM
I think they'll leave all the free agents unprotected. Why chose them when they may just bolt to another team in the off-season?

Agreed.
We can simply tell them a head of time that they are available but have a "contract" ready for them.
Highly doubt that LAFC would pick players that they can lose for nothing.
Plus I feel as though Moor at least will come back regardless, stay with what you know instead of what you don't. Beita is another matter as it looks to be that we have a replacement available (Hasler) that will be cheaper.

ensco
09-29-2017, 11:31 AM
We should obviously expose Canadians at the margin given league roster rules. Although there is a bit of a chance that LAFC flips a Canadian player to Vancouver or Montreal (I absolutely think that would happen with Ricketts)

ryan
09-29-2017, 02:26 PM
Oso is easy to leave unprotected because LAFC isn't using an international slot on him. Not sure Montreal wants a player who is Toronto born and openly not fond of them. Vancouver maybe but they don't need him.