PDA

View Full Version : MLS seeks more northern exposure, Yahoo.com

Martin Groove
07-31-2008, 02:28 PM
MLS seeks more northern exposure

By Martin Rogers (http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/sow/expertsarchive;_ylt=ArBrFSYed5KQr9CMZu9nrR3.NQU6?a uthor=Martin+Rogers), Yahoo! Sports 8 hours, 56 minutes ago

Print (http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/sow/news;_ylt=Am_wsONtk7f85vf4PQYjmwn.NQU6?slug=ro-canadaexpansion073108&prov=yhoo&type=lgns&print=1)

More From Martin Rogers

Beckham's midseason report card (http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/sow/news;_ylt=AgkpJmef4ihDiDJ48qmrYxf.NQU6?slug=ro-beckham072808&prov=yhoo&type=lgns) Jul 28, 2008
West Ham miscast in MLS starring role (http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/sow/news;_ylt=AmDthstuHgY3gJelsw3LVT7.NQU6?slug=ro-westham072308&prov=yhoo&type=lgns) Jul 23, 2008

http://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/us/sp/cn/headshots/martin_rogers.jpg (http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/sow/expertsarchive;_ylt=AuP3I.jXkMdiHRlz.s0u2VL.NQU6?a uthor=Martin+Rogers)
http://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/us/sp/p/yse_lo_70x24_2.gif (http://us.rd.yahoo.com/sports/yhoo/sow/analysis/SIG=11daaeced;_ylt=AvVOIWepGNZ9pW7XipdGoB_.NQU6/*http%3A//sports.yahoo.com/top/expertscorner)

Trying to predict the Major League Soccer expansion free-for-all has become a game reserved for the brave or the foolish.
Every comment, every rumor and each carefully worded update from MLS commissioner Don Garber seems to bring a shift in the power struggle for inclusion in the league. To be considered a frontrunner is no guarantee of success and things can change quickly. Just ask Cleveland and San Antonio, cities that at one point looked highly likely to land new franchises.
At present, though, the expansion radar is pointed towards Canada, and it is unlikely to shift any time soon.
With two more teams to join in 2011, the groups behind Montreal and Vancouver are both tipped to present a formidable case. Even previously unmentioned Ottawa was included in the league’s eight-city shortlist.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

While adding two more Canadian teams would create certain roster-filling dilemmas, many factors are turning the attention of MLS chiefs northwards.
The roaring success of the first expansion into Canada, with Toronto FC continuing to play in front of a passionate sellout crowd every game, has clearly whetted the league’s appetite for another Canadian entry. That financial firepower has pushed the Canadian bids to the forefront at this stage.
Joey Saputo, owner of United Soccer League side Montreal Impact, is determined to secure an MLS license and already has some infrastructure in place. The Impact’s Saputo Stadium holds around 13,000 and could comfortably be expanded to 20,000 if MLS gives the green light.
Early indications in the Montreal market are that the public would welcome an MLS team with open arms and provide a level of support similar to that in Toronto. But what is needed for the league to keep growing is for the expansion teams, starting with Seattle Sounders FC next year, to be ambitious, competitive and well-supported. Vancouver also fits the criteria, with the USL Whitecaps a well-established and professionally run outfit.
If MLS decides that a double dip into Canada for the class of 2011 is one too many, then the battle between Montreal and Vancouver will be fiercely fought.
In Vancouver’s corner is NBA star and British Columbia native Steve Nash, who wants to see MLS in his home city. Nash has teamed up with the Whitecaps billionaire owner Greg Kerfoot to present a bid, but the key to Vancouver’s success is likely to hinge around the construction of a stunning downtown waterfront stadium that is currently being delayed by political red tape.

The strength of the bids is a huge plus for MLS, which can now demand extra-high standards from potential newcomers. To have several dedicated and determined business groups all striving against each other for a limited numbers of spots greatly increases the likelihood of success in the market eventually chosen.
Here we rank the eight cities mentioned by commissioner Garber last week in order of their chances to win expansion rights.
MLS EXPANSION DESTINATION RANKINGS
1. Montreal. The transition into MLS would be relatively seamless and the Impact have shown that there is already an appetite for soccer in the city. Chances: 70 percent.
2. St. Louis. It lacks the wealth of backing enjoyed by some other bids but has a brand new stadium to look forward to and an impressive figurehead in Jeff Cooper. Chances: 60 percent.

3. Vancouver. Would leap to the front of the pack if stadium issues could be resolved. Nash adds some star power and profile. Chances: 35 percent.
4. Portland The Portland group is going about its business quietly but can not be discounted. A ready-made local rivalry with Seattle is a potential plus. Chances: 15 percent.
5. Atlanta. Well-backed in the form of Arthur Blank, owner of the National Football League’s Atlanta Falcons (http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/nfl/teams/atl/;_ylt=AiOyFmnzx6imZQl4.b7vcr7.NQU6), but little progress has been made on a new stadium. Chances: 10 percent.
6. Las Vegas. Rumors of a $500 million stadium with a retractable roof and a cash-laden ownership group are still around, but no public announcement equals no momentum – and probably no chance. Chances: 5 percent.
7. New York. It is hard to see the logic in a second N.Y. franchise until the Red Bulls start pulling in big crowds. Chances: 4 percent.
8. Ottawa. Not a soccer market and little reason to be on the list except for the millions of Eugene Melnyk, owner of the National Hockey League’s Ottawa Senators (http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/nhl/teams/ott/;_ylt=Au16acmz9h2JVKmGACD3xkL.NQU6). Chances: 1 percent.

TFC_Junky
07-31-2008, 02:34 PM
nice find, Martin!

Parkdale
07-31-2008, 02:35 PM
do you just look for articles written by guys also named Martin?

and for real... Ottawa? good thing it was only listed at 1%

Martin Groove
07-31-2008, 02:37 PM
do you just look for articles written by guys also named Martin?

and for real... Ottawa? good thing it was only listed at 1%

always

Martin Groove
07-31-2008, 02:38 PM
wouldnt it be interesting if the league all of a sudden with the addition of two more canadian teams, would hold the three strongest franchises that support it, in the great white north

billyfly
07-31-2008, 02:44 PM
The hatred I felt within myself and from my fellow supporters against MTL makes me want to see MTL in there before VAN. Also, what an excuse to go to Clube Super Sex(e) when we roadtrip down there or a game.

Cashcleaner
07-31-2008, 02:51 PM
wouldnt it be interesting if the league all of a sudden with the addition of two more canadian teams, would hold the three strongest franchises that support it, in the great white north

Bill Archer would kill himself and the world would rejoice.

nascarguy
07-31-2008, 02:58 PM
I think van has a better team . then mtl .

I was up at my dads place last week and he now wants to go on road trips.

Parkdale
07-31-2008, 02:59 PM
I think van has a better team . then mtl .

I was up at my dads place last week and he now wants to go on road trips.

you want a team in Hamilton. Just admit it.

Damien
07-31-2008, 03:06 PM
you want a team in Hamilton. Just admit it.

They have one already www.hamiltonsoccer.net (http://www.hamiltonsoccer.net)

DigzTFC!
07-31-2008, 03:06 PM
I think the author got it right on the money:

Montreal, St.Louis as the next two in. Montreal can enter the league right now if it were allowed with a new stadium. Its the ideal, "lets get someone quick" solution. St.Louis will only be able to get a new stadium by 2011 now because there has not been official word yet and probably won't be until the end of the season. Thus, leaving the necessary two years to construct a proper MLS stadium.

Montreal in 2010 (Eastern Conference)
St.Louis in 2011 (Western Conference)

The Vancouver bid is no further along without a stadium and renovation to BC place being completed in 2011. This bid is still in dire straits as a Canadian city has to have all the components rather than an american city that should have most of them.

RPB_Brantford_08
07-31-2008, 03:08 PM
Ottawa not a soccer market, try telling that to the folks the went to the U-20s last year, Ottawa could easily be as strong as Toronto for support...Ottawa has the best Hockeys fans in this province, what not soccer....Ottawa before Montreal and Vancouver!!

DigzTFC!
07-31-2008, 03:09 PM
http://www.sportsnetwork.com/merge/tsnform.aspx?c=sportsnetwork&page=soc-mls/news/news.aspx?id=4168847

New expansion teams to be announced in late '08 or early '09

New York, NY (Sports Network) - Major League Soccer Commissioner Don Garber announced the timeline and application process for the next two expansion teams, which would bring the league to 18 teams by 2011, it was announced on Thursday.

Ownership groups and markets that are interested in being considered for this expansion round can submit applications to MLS up until Oct. 15, 2008. The league will consider markets in the United States and Canada for the 17th and 18th teams.

This announcement comes after the MLS Board of Governors approved expanding by two teams by 2011 following a meeting in Toronto on July 24.

At the meeting, Garber provided updates on prospective expansion markets, which included Atlanta, Las Vegas, Montreal, a second team in the New York area, Ottawa, Portland, St. Louis and Vancouver.

With the additions of the San Jose Earthquakes and Toronto FC the past two seasons, there are currently 14 teams in the league. The Seattle Sounders FC will be joining MLS in 2009 and the yet-to-be-named Philadelphia franchise in 2010. The two new teams would bring the total to 18.

An announcement regarding the next two expansion clubs will take place during the fourth quarter of 2008 or the first quarter of 2009, according to the league.

Parkdale
07-31-2008, 03:12 PM
Ottawa not a soccer market, try telling that to the folks the went to the U-20s last year, Ottawa could easily be as strong as Toronto for support...Ottawa has the best Hockeys fans in this province, what not soccer....Ottawa before Montreal and Vancouver!!

you're kidding yourself.

my buddy worked security at the stadium in Ottawa and he said that the only big crowds were when people came to support their 'old world' National teams. As we've seen, that just doesn't cut it here in Toronto and would even less so in Ottawa. besides... many Americans haven't even heard of Ottawa and it is an American league. AND we all know that hockey support and footy support are two totally different things.

B45
07-31-2008, 04:07 PM

Uh...hold it...Ottawa has a terrible record for supporting teams...so what if they sold out a few soccer games in ONE tourney.

As for the Senators, lest we forget that the team went bankrupt and almost folded until Melnyk bought it. Even when they had great teams (until the Leafs knocked them out of the playoffs) they were still only drawing 12,000-14,000 in a 20,000 seat rink that was relatively brand new. I don't buy into Ottawa...but if Melnyk buys in then I'll glady make the road trip!

GrimsbyTown
07-31-2008, 04:24 PM
Why anyone in their right mind would consider Ottawa before all the above mentioned cities is waaaaay beyond me.

Never

Gonna

Happen.

Oh wait, there is a 1% chance though....

James17930
07-31-2008, 06:58 PM
I like Martin Rogers -- his articles are always very well written and he always gets the CanCon stuff right.

kitchener-TFC
07-31-2008, 09:34 PM
WTF's so great about St. Louis?

RealG-TFC
07-31-2008, 09:41 PM
WTF's so great about St. Louis?

Craddle of American soccer.

greatwhitenorf
07-31-2008, 11:29 PM
Yes, it's shocking to discover that America has these great pockets of soccer support hidden away from public view. Soccer is, of course, Un-American Activity, and as such, cannot be publicly proclaimed, no matter how many of the locals are kicking balls about.

The official line is that they're all training to one day become NFL place kickers.

Shocked to find many people interested and participating in the game in the Carolinas, of all places. Ready to start a mail-in campaign to get a franchise awarded to Tampa Bay. Bring Back The Rowdies!!

ExiledRed
08-01-2008, 12:23 AM
Uh...hold it...Ottawa has a terrible record for supporting teams!

So what if Ottawa didn't support it's CFL team, how is that relevant to soccer?

you're kidding yourself.

my buddy worked security at the stadium in Ottawa and he said that the only big crowds were when people came to support their 'old world' National teams. As we've seen, that just doesn't cut it here in Toronto and would even less so in Ottawa. besides... many Americans haven't even heard of Ottawa and it is an American league. AND we all know that hockey support and footy support are two totally different things.

Like CFL support and Footy support are two different things?

And if they're all showing up to support their 'old world' teams, then it shows they have the interest in soccer. Canada was but one team in that tourney and it played mainly in Toronto, so who were they supposed to go and watch?

twistedchinaman
08-01-2008, 01:16 AM
Uh...hold it...Ottawa has a terrible record for supporting teams...so what if they sold out a few soccer games in ONE tourney.

As for the Senators, lest we forget that the team went bankrupt and almost folded until Melnyk bought it. Even when they had great teams (until the Leafs knocked them out of the playoffs) they were still only drawing 12,000-14,000 in a 20,000 seat rink that was relatively brand new. I don't buy into Ottawa...but if Melnyk buys in then I'll glady make the road trip!

Ottawa has about the same chance as Calgary -- none.

Keystone FC
08-01-2008, 05:06 AM
you're kidding yourself.

Everybody keeps talking about this...Auto Wha...what is it?:D

Psycho-Kid
08-01-2008, 05:09 AM
In my opinon i think ottawa has a chance but it seems like MLS already made there decision the whitecaps should be in 2nd place tho

Keystone FC
08-01-2008, 05:17 AM
Well the deadline for applications is Oct. 15 and so far (officially) Portland and Vancouver have submited apps and I think Montreal and St. Louis have as well. It will come down who has the best plan in place. This IMO puts Montreal, Portland, and Vancouver in a dead heat. All have good ownerships, fan bases, history, and stadiums IN HAND. St. Louis is out with no deep pocket ownership or SSS (they have plans but have yet to start construction.
Garber (for all the bad rep he may have) is smart in knowing how, when, and where to expand. I'm sure he has a NASL poster hanging in his office to remind him that Tulsa, OK is NOT a good location for a club.
I think the MLS is going about the expansion the right way and I do believe Montreal and Portland will be added. Gotta keep us Amerks happy in some way.

Mark in Ottawa
08-01-2008, 08:55 AM
As previously mentioned Ottawa has a very sketchy past history in support for sports franchises. The city has already run pointy ball, baseball and lacrosse out of town in the last 10 years or so.

Baseball has returned but the team in basically an independent league team needing 3 to 4 thousand fans to survive and they are struggling at that.

We do have footy fans and lots of minor league soccer interest but if anything we would be better to take over the slot vacated by Montreal when they move from USL to MLS and start small.

The main reason this is even being talked about in Ottawa is that the stadium in town is being discussed in redevelopment plans. Melnyk wants in on the deal and this is his way of trying to "horn in" on the other developers who are looking to develop Landsdowne park along the canal.

Draracle
08-01-2008, 09:15 AM
Ottawa! HAHA! Those guys can't support a sports team. Montreal and Vancouver? Well, if we do get one, we won't get both.

Inswingingwingman
08-01-2008, 09:15 AM
Buffalo and Detroit are my pics. Road trips just think. Drive, Sundowner, match in Buffalo, Sundowner, sleep in car, home, divorce.

Drive, Windsor, Jason's, match, Jason's, sleep in car, drive, divorce.

Wow...Imagine the Red's supporter section?

Redcoe15
08-02-2008, 12:13 PM
I think it's going to be St. Louis and either Montreal or Vancouver. There's no chance in hell that Garber will give the 17th and 18th spots to both Canadian cities. I also hope the other Canadian city gets in next along with Portland. Ottawa? Fuggedaboudit!

But we may have to face a real possibility that no Canadian cities will be included in the next round of expansion. This is, after all, an American league chasing American dollars. Garber already stated that MLSE is going to have to help out in finding more Canadian revenue streams in order to make expansion into Canada more viable. There's just as much a reality of Atlanta, the worst sports city in North America, and a second New York team, where the first can't draw flies in a city of 18 million people, jumping ahead of a Canadian city.

Anybody check out the expansion forum over at BigSoccer? You wouldn't believe the types of retards who believe MLS shouldn't have Canadian teams in their (re American) league.