PDA

View Full Version : Le Capitulation

Blkndkr
09-17-2017, 06:15 PM
For your reading pleasure: https://www.impactmontreal.com/en/post/2017/09/17/joey-saputo-statement

Cuchulain
09-17-2017, 06:24 PM
Love it! There's not much of anything I hate more than Montreal.

flatpicker
09-17-2017, 06:30 PM
All of us who have been with Toronto for the long haul are all too familiar with this sort of statement from ownership.

molenshtain
09-17-2017, 06:31 PM
I'm conflicted about this. One part of me says it's awesome that MTL is shit, and I really enjoy their fans being so upset.

On the other hand, I like it when they're playing well. It makes beating them a lot more fun.

StokeciTFC
09-17-2017, 06:34 PM
Oddly, I feel no schadenfreude whilst reading this statement, either although I would've expected myself to do so. Can't quite put my finger fully on why but part is certainly suffering through terrible TFC seasons and decades of Stoke being utterly abject.

ensco
09-17-2017, 06:45 PM
Whole league is having a nervous breakdown
http://www.totalmls.net/blog/2017/9/17/another-disastrous-evening-in-carson

Let's run TFC2 out on Wednesday against Montreal, just for laughs

Oldtimer
09-17-2017, 08:57 PM
For your reading pleasure: https://www.impactmontreal.com/en/post/2017/09/17/joey-saputo-statement

I think it's a mistake to read this on the surface. It's no coincidence that he said this just before the 401 derby. He is threatening his team and coach so they realize that they are playing for their jobs. Think of it somewhat like Vieira was doing, but aimed at his own team instead of TFC.

Blindside16
09-17-2017, 11:49 PM
I say strike the death blow on Wednesday. Lets bury them and let Joey sort it out later.

PizzaEatingYeti
09-17-2017, 11:53 PM
I think it's a mistake to read this on the surface. It's no coincidence that he said this just before the 401 derby. He is threatening his team and coach so they realize that they are playing for their jobs. Think of it somewhat like Vieira was doing, but aimed at his own team instead of TFC.

WOW... this was my very first thought after I finished reading that text.
If this can have any kind of effect on that team, that only can be that now they will play us even harder...
Like their life would depend on it (though they are already dead...).

ensco
09-18-2017, 05:33 AM
The "on the surface" interpretation is pretty compelling. This is a lame-o note to fans in the middle of what I assume is SSH renewal season that is not going well, and getting worse by the minute.

Montreal support for losers ain't what it is here. This is a big problem for Saputo.

Initial B
09-18-2017, 07:23 AM
I'm just worried that we'll end up with another Beitashour injury to one of our DP players on Wednesday. I'm going to be really nervous watching the match.

fergiejr
09-18-2017, 07:32 AM
The "on the surface" interpretation is pretty compelling. This is a lame-o note to fans in the middle of what I assume is SSH renewal season that is not going well, and getting worse by the minute.

Montreal support for losers ain't what it is here. This is a big problem for Saputo.

I do agree with this statement, they wouldn't put up with the Leafs for years like Toronto did. Impact FO reported that the game on the weekend was a sell-out. Now, I haven't watched the highlights - that's for Monday lunch time viewing - so I don't know how the stands looked.

fergiejr
09-18-2017, 07:44 AM

This reminds me of the Bez/Nelsen drama from years ago when Bez approached the media and called out Nelsen, and basically the whole team.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/toronto-fc-gm-its-time-to-take-it-up-a-notch/

Oldtimer
09-18-2017, 08:24 AM

Both the surface interpretation and what I think Joey is trying to say to the players and coach can be true at the same time. They aren't mutually exclusive. Plus I agree with you about Montreal fans. However, I think the bigger message is to the team, "the 401 derby is next, perform or you are out." The Big Cheese is pretty quick to pull the trigger on firing coaches and replacing players once he makes that decision.

grizzle
09-18-2017, 08:42 AM
All of us who have been with Toronto for the long haul are all too familiar with this sort of statement from ownership.

I was thinking the exact same thing when reading this. Reminds me of the old TFC days.

Don Julio
09-18-2017, 09:19 AM

I don't think he's that bright, tbh.

Oldtimer
09-19-2017, 08:32 AM
I think I read it correctly:

Two reports said Nick De Santis, Saputo's vice-president and right-hand man, blasted the players in the dressing room on Sunday, imploring them not to try to get coach Mauro Biello fired.

http://www.tsn.ca/impact-looking-for-better-showing-against-tfc-1.859852